Speaker 1: Hey, guys, welcome to another episode of Eating While Broke. I'm your host, Coleen Witt, and today we have very special guest. Comedian, actor, writer influencer Brandon Rogers is in the building.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much for having me. This is the coolest studio I've ever been And you can cook full meals right here and not have to leave the studio.
Speaker 1: Yes, and I'm very fortunate because I get to challenge all my guests to feed me. I will say this, this is the first time we've had your dish on the show. What will you be having us eat today?
Speaker 2: Today we're eating canned chicken with balsamic vinaigrette and sagir soganeer. How everybody say, I'm just a fan of.
Speaker 3: The flat a, but I would throw the chicken into the sogpanier and cook.
Speaker 2: It like that. But I would also eat the chicken right out of the can by itself, just put a little balsamic on it and go in with the fork. And I would just eat that while I worked at a hotel back behind the front desk. Really yeah, I'd pop a can open to that and then just go to town on the well, yeah, I was eating weird shit back then.
Speaker 1: I like your creativity. You sound like you were like, oh, desperate measures will work with what we got chicken.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was weird. I wanted to I was very heavy back then, and I wanted to get thin real fast, and I didn't know how to. So I thought, well, like, what's like the bare bones of what I could eat? Oh? Just meat, like caveman mentality. So I'm like, I'm just gonna eat chicken out of the can. And I just threw the balsamic in there. So it wasn't just entirely flavorless.
Speaker 1: But I saw it in the chicken in the can. It has like a little fat in it, doesn't it fat?
Speaker 2: But not sugar. I was very into like no sugar.
Speaker 1: And I still I'm saying, you ate it cold, not warm.
Speaker 2: Right out right out, I mean not Ni'd eat it room temperature.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, your gangster. Okay. And then for us who did not know, because I did not know what sog or sag panaire is, can you explain what it is?
Speaker 2: So it's like spinach and spices and like you like basically like food process like chopped up finally and then cooked with cream and there's like cubes of cheese that are in it, and so it's like basically spinach cream and cheese. It's almost like the closest thing I could think of too, Like an American dish would be like spinach dip maybe, but meant to be eaten, not as a side or a dip, like as an actual like dishes.
Speaker 1: Yes, yeah, okay, And then your team said I could either get it from a restaurant or get it in the store. I did get it from the restaurant. I just want to tell you all listeners, this sog panaire. Please forgive us for butchering the name, but I think I paid ten dollars and it definitely looks like you'd be like two to three people, right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I can eat one of I could put one of those down easily. I'd probably put one and a half two of those down easy.
Speaker 1: I love you. Then, so basically this whole dish essentially just costs like twelve bucks.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's it's it's good because I'm I I live totally like Bachelor style. I don't eat a full meal at a time. I sometimes i'll eat extra or less than and it's nice because I just eat however much I want put it away. And I eat this probably every single day.
Speaker 4: Like really yeah yeah, like up so recently up till yesterday.
Speaker 1: What yeah, I wish you would have came here yesterday. We would have had you ready, I know, I know.
Speaker 2: But you know, I'm actually more used to eating it cold because I have food prep it. So I'll buy a bunch of the week and I only eat it like fresh on Monday or Tuesday, and the rest it's all either cold or reheated. So I'm this, I'm like.
Speaker 1: This, and this is uh, this is healthy. It's pretty healthy, and.
Speaker 2: I feel like I've been healthy since I've been eating it, like I really. I either eat it by itself or with something else, but I probably eat it for almost every single meal really yeah, and my food I don't get sickos. That's why it's the only every every other food. I kind of get like tired of having more than three times.
Speaker 1: Well, let's see if this dish can to my favorite list.
Speaker 2: I should If it doesn't. If it doesn't, oh my god, I'm gonna feel I'm gonna feel like a monster.
Speaker 1: And let's see. So why don't you start cooking for me and then, yes, while you cook for me, take me back to what was going on before it became your popular favorite dish.
Speaker 2: Let's go on this journey together.
Speaker 1: Yeah, let's go on this journey together.
Speaker 2: All right, go for it, all right, all right, Well let's see here, We're gonna go low here. And yes, I would reheat this like this all the time because I lived at my mom's house and she had and then I moved out into a studio with barely a kitchen, and ange learnew to eat everything cold. Oh yeah, I had ten years without a microwave, and it made me appreciate microwaves so much. You just know it in a box and it's hot all of a sudden.
Speaker 1: How do you go ten years without a microwave?
Speaker 2: I live ten years in a shoe box bedroom, living room, bathroom, kitchen. It was all one room. Well the bathroom was behind a door, but yeah, it was a tiny, tiny place. I think this is on. Oh yes, it is all right. Okay, I'm not a good cook, just letting you know. I most of my food has been Uber eats for the past four years.
Speaker 1: I feel like most of the guests on our show haven't cooked or I mean, in years.
Speaker 2: Well, you know what, it's going to be an experience, So I'm just gonna do it the clean way. They call this the the good old Brandon flip. You go one tooth, okay, all right, and it requires a little bit of dancing.
Speaker 1: Do you want those one of those utensil things?
Speaker 2: Okay?
Speaker 1: Oh you know, oh there it goes.
Speaker 2: It worked, yes, And this is a sog cast role. We're gonna turn it into a stir frye here. Okay, okay, let's see. I'm gonna use this because I think the green and the red go well together. Okay, excuse me.
Speaker 1: Oh good, you have a cough. By the way, we all have this magic cough that doesn't go away, so all y'all listeners gotta beer through it.
Speaker 2: So it basically looks like every gross food food from every cartoon. Every time they were like at the lunch line and they were like, hey, take your lunch slop, it was this ship. Yeah, but I love it because there's so much flavor and.
Speaker 1: It smells good.
Speaker 2: It's yeah, it's I don't know what exactly goes into I've been eating it all these years. I don't know the spices that go into I want to say there's garlic.
Speaker 1: There's definitely curry, curR definitely curryles curry curry.
Speaker 2: Yeah, definitely curry. And depending on what kind of restaurant you go to, it could be more or less of the but it's generally this is actually very look looks like what I have every day. So if it's disgusting, fuck me.
Speaker 1: Okay, So it looks healthy. And the cheese, the cheese chunks look like chunks are the cheese just actually bite into it or doesn't melt pannier cheese.
Speaker 2: It's very specific. It almost the textures almost like tofu it. Oh you don't like tofu? I love I love tofu, but I love this even more. Really, Yeah, I haven't had tofu in a long time, but you don't like tofu.
Speaker 1: I can't stand the texture of it. Really, But you know what I'm starting to see. We we have one thing that come and you like pickled eggs and tofu and I don't like either.
Speaker 2: Oh interesting, you know how I think about it, those would go good together. Yeah, I feel like tofu is like to me, that's like the future, like scientifically engineered to be non offensive food. Food, Like we've engineered a white block of gel that will like it feels it's the tofu has always been space food to me, so I always felt futuristic eating tofu. I hope this is odd.
Speaker 1: It is, but electric sometimes you got to turn it up and then turn it down.
Speaker 2: There's an electric stoves. Aren't these incredible? I mean, this blows my mind to this day. This looks so cool to me. Yeah, that we can do this. I still use a gas burner like an asshole.
Speaker 1: That's good. A lot of people love the gas. So tell tell me what was going on in the time of so.
Speaker 2: I was really going through this craze of like no sugar. So I was trying to find the most flavorful foods that were easy and cheap and didn't have sugar in them, and that that that that, and that wouldn't gross me out if I ate them. And this has so much flavor in it that it feels like I'm eating in a way more than I am, if that makes sense. That it doesn't feel like I'm just eating like a one thing. But it gives me so much energy, like it's basically just pure spinach, and I don't know, like I'll eat it before a shoot. I'll eat it and when at the time when I discovered this, I would go to this Indian restaurant with my friends and we would order one dish that we would share, and then we'd wait for people to leave, and we would go to the tables and because with Indian food, a lot of people would just like leave so much of it behind, like because it was family style. Yeah, so you just have dishes of just food left behind. So we would just go to the other tables and just and that's how I discovered such.
Speaker 1: Ben here, wait a minute, wait a minute, let me get this straight. So you and your friend will order one dish, wait till everybody else left the restaurant, and go pick out on their leftovers. Yeah, that's pretty awesome. I don't think. I'm sure people have thought of doing it, but nobody's ever actually done it.
Speaker 2: I also used to dumpster dive a lot. What do you mean, Like in college. I would go because they would throw food out the grocery store that wasn't it was technically expired by the date, but it was still good.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So my friend and I we would call each other and we were like, hey, you want to go diving, And we would just go diving, and.
Speaker 1: So you could go to a grocery store and the like, yeah.
Speaker 2: We go behind like a Roufs or something and just go literally climb into the dumpster. And you'd have to be at the end of the day, like I think around nine or ten and like around closing time or whatever. You know, we would go back there and find a lot of it was like carb stuff, so boxes of like crackers, bread, those big cookies that would be icing on the top. They would get thrown out. Those would last for years.
Speaker 1: I feel like, yeah, you know what's so funny. When eggs went up, I'm not gonna lie. I started to talk to the grocery you know, check out, like yo, like, no one's buying your eggs right now, and they'd be like, yo, we're throwing them out by the cases out back. And I'd be like, if only they could just tell me when they were throwing them out, because they I would be like, really out back there, let me go around back right.
Speaker 2: I'm going to add half of this to the because I have the chicken, because a big part of when I I was eating this was just I would eat the chicken by itself, but I would also throw it into here because you could throw chicken in almost everything, and so it's always nice to have a can laying around because it just adds treats to whatever dish you're cooking.
Speaker 1: Now, a lot of people keep can tuning around. I don't know how many people actually keep canned chicken. So I'm thoroughly impressed, because I never ever know what to do with canned chicken.
Speaker 2: Canned chicken is great, especially because it's well's pre cooked. So I would just eat it straight out of the can. I would pour the balls in fact, is this.
Speaker 1: Yeah, your balsamic vinegar?
Speaker 2: Oh? Yes, yes, yeah, I you know. I used to eat all kinds of foods that were that were like healthy, and I would do it unhealthily too. Would I would also like at the time, I would starve myself into a bunch of stupid things. But hopefully I haven't eaten this since I was probably twenty twenty two, twenty three. Okay, so it might I might miss be mispremembering it. It might taste like pure slamp, but so.
Speaker 1: And then I saw what Brandon just did. It was he took the balsamach and put it directly on the chicken.
Speaker 2: Directly on the chicken. We're mixing it in a bowl, and it would look Oh that takes me back. Holy shit. I'm right there at the desk of the hotel. Welcome, Will you be checking in? Are you checking out? I'd be sneaking this down here like this. I would always have like treats and stuff. I'd have a laptop and edit my videos while I was working at the front desk.
Speaker 1: Oh so, while you're working at the front desk of a hotel, you would be pursuing your dreams behind the counter.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I mean I couldn't. I mean, if I didn't have those dreams, I don't know what I would be. I mean, that was the one thing getting me through it. Honestly, it felt and it didn't. They didn't feel like dreams because dreams implies you want that to be your future. And as much as I wanted to be an actor and a director, I didn't think that what I was doing would directly translate to any form of success. I didn't think because at the time, being a YouTuber wasn't a lucrative Yeah, that wasn't something anyone sought to be. So I did feel like I was wasting time, but it felt good because it got me through the day, like I would be editing videos as a way to get me through an eight eight hours is a long fucking time to be doing anything.
Speaker 1: And did you ever get like posh back from your job, like where they were like why are you always on your computer?
Speaker 2: They were actually very supportive because they it was such a shitty job. They were just happy to have someone there at the desk for as much as they were willing to pay. And no shade on them. I'm still friends with the people at that hotel, and but they supported it. They watched They even let me film at the hotel.
Speaker 1: Really yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And when you were doing this this footage, were you doing it just because you genuinely enjoyed acting and writing or were you doing it because.
Speaker 2: I would have paid to do it, let alone get paid to do it?
Speaker 1: Really yeah.
Speaker 2: It was the one thing keeping me sane and still is. If I if I was put in a shoe hole for the rest of my life in Guantanamo Bay, I would still find a way to get a camera in editing software and just try and make it like no matter I mean, if I lose all my limbs, I would still try and find a way to.
Speaker 1: Do it like it's and you edit all your stuff still today.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I think if you know how to edit, you like I think when it comes to video or especially scripted stuff like films or TV, if you know how to edit, and you know how to write, and you know how to direct, you should really do all three because you get a really unified a project that's really your vision, and other people can see that vision and go oh, and then you surround yourself with a team of people who also get it because it's so specific to what you want. So I mean, because and no shade on people who only write or only direct or only actor, but if you can do all of them, I recommend do it because then you're very few people can do two, or let alone three or four of those things. So I think as I got older, I realized I can do it. My dad encouraged me a lot. I had a lot of encouragement, you know, at that time. I want to say, this is circa two thousand and nine. At this point I started my channel thousand and six, So about two thousand and nine I was taking it more seriously. I was really trying to build a following I hit fifty thousand followers in two thousand. I want to say that was twenty ten, twenty eleven. That was a huge deal.
Speaker 1: I mean, what was going on through your mind when you were.
Speaker 2: We made it? That was? Yeah, it was. I was doing a show at the time with my friends. It was a scripted series, kind of like The Office, and it took place in a classrooms. That's the only location we had access to. It was like a college campus. So we did a show about theater kids, which we were you know, you write what you know. And then we and then we got fifty thousand, and we were all surrounding the computer watching as it hit fifty thousand, and we filmed it on our datus thing at a time called a flipcam, and we were filming it on the flip camp. It was one of the greatest moments of my life. In a fifty thousand today, I mean, as any TikToker, that's not even a cumshot of people, I can't say that.
Speaker 1: But it's not say it. I love.
Speaker 2: It's nothing today. I mean, but what I'm saying is it's something. It really is something. Because we felt like we made it a twenty thousand, we felt like stars at you know.
Speaker 1: And what were your parents saying when when you were like getting hyped over these numbers.
Speaker 2: I don't think it registered. I don't think my my dad was always excited from day one. I think it took my It took me getting recognized in public in front of my mom for her to put some sort of tangent ability to it, because up until then it was like, you should be focusing on your job, you should be focusing on your you know, school. And then when I when I started, you know, and when I did it full time too, she took it seriously. When I was able to no longer. I worked at a law firm before I did YouTube full time, and when I made that leap, I think she took it a lot more seriously.
Speaker 1: Now, was it scary too, Well, at the time before you took that leap, like what milestone did you hit before you were like, Okay, I'm going I'm going to I'm going to do one hundred percent.
Speaker 2: Well, I was at the law firm, I was working at the guy running it, the guy in charge, he had a very soft spot for comedy writing, and when he saw my channel, he encouraged me. And again let me film at my work. Wow, And that's when I really started. You know, that's Vine. This is about twenty this is twenty fifteen. I want to say so Vine was really big then and someone took my clips that I filmed that his office and it blew up on Vine. It's me saying, move, I'm gay, and I say this, I move someone out of the way as I'm trying to make and it's just like queer's in the workplace. And that blew up on Vine and he became aware of it blowing up on Vine, and so I'm gonna let this go a little bit longer than let's take it off. But he called me into his office one day and he was like, so, tell me how much longer do you have here? And that was the first time not only did he talk about my departure going to YouTube full time, but he did it in a way that wasn't negative and it was supportive. He wasn't like, well, how much time to know? He was just like, just let me know, so we can start giving you projects that you could be done with by the time you want to leave. I probably wouldn't be where I'm at if it wasn't for him letting me be creative while paying my bills so I could live. And that's that's the artist struggle in LA. That's everyone's struggle. Is like you move out to LA making a living is a job in itself, just to be able to pay your rent, you know, afford food, and then on top of it, become an actor, become or a musician, any kind of Most jobs in the industry don't care about your nine to five. They all need you on a Tuesday at three and then Friday at five, and then weekend at three am. So it's like it's hard to walk that fine line. And if you're lucky enough to find you know, a job that lets you be flexible with your hours, I definitely recommend that because the industry, I it doesn't it's not nine to five. It's not like you know a place that's open and closed. It's like at any point you have an audition pop up or you could. So he was very limber with me in terms of what I was allowed to. He let me work from home.
Speaker 1: And this was before pandemic, before people of four.
Speaker 2: I know, I'm might turn this down.
Speaker 1: It also sounds like and I'm just curious were you upfront with these employers, like what you your long term goals were, because yeah, I was gonna say, most people are afraid because that's usually they'd be like, well, our missions aren't aligned, you go find another place work. So how did you break it to them that you had other passions?
Speaker 2: She was the only one. I broke it to every other employer. I just told them that they were my long term goal.
Speaker 1: Well what about the hotel? Though you were secretly editing on this.
Speaker 2: I was secretly editing, but that was in a long term That was like a hobby, you know, and they let me do it there and they would give me a discount on renting the you know, like spaces in the hotel, or I would just do it for I would just do it, you know, because I worked night on it overnight a lot of times, so I could just do stuff overnight and film it there and they wouldn't catch me. But yeah, they they never saw it. Like and even at that time, that was so early on, I don't even know if I considered it at the hotel my dream like something I would eventually go.
Speaker 1: It was just something you were just passionately doing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 1: And now you're talking you're at the law firm about ten It sounds like ten years later you're still doing your YouTube, but you're working at this law firm. Yeah, And I just want I want to frame references because I think whenever people think of influencers, they think overnight. You're saying that you're working full time jobs while still doing something you're passionate about. Now at this point, are you starting to think about monetizing or are you monetizing at that.
Speaker 2: Point, I was monetizing. I started monetizing, I think in two thousand and nine, but I wasn't making substantially anything I was. I would have to find odd jobs to keep the lights on, even outside of the law firm. Like the law firm was a great full time job, but I still wasn't making.
Speaker 4: Enough, like yeah, support of something in La in La, Oh my god, it's so And I lived in I lived in Koreatown, so like nowhere was close to get to, you know, gas was so expensive because you killed half your tank just finding the nearest freeway, and and so it was.
Speaker 2: It was really it was tough. I had to do a lot of commercials for places. I would would film commercials for all kinds of businesses because I could write and edit.
Speaker 1: And so, like you would knock on their door and be like, hey, I'll do your commercial for you, or did you well.
Speaker 2: A lot of it eventually became word of mouth. I would do a commercial for someone and they'd refer me to their you know friend who also runs a different company, and they would need a commercial. So I started doing these really cheap and easy commercials because I could film something, edit it. I could even cast the commercial because I you know, wow La casting accounts. So I would just find actors, and many of them I still talk to today and work with in my videos. And so every little odd job I did in a way was training for what I do now. It was a way of me doing video work in some way. At the law firm, I did video work for them. I'd go to clients' houses and interview clients who like broke their ankles, and we'd show the video to the jury and.
Speaker 1: Try, is that actually what you did for the law firm.
Speaker 2: I did anything relating to video. Anything regarding video I did for.
Speaker 1: Them now was your job.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So I'd do their commercials. I would do like depositions, I would anything that needed to be filmed, I would film it, and it eventually kind of led me into doing videos that were in the same format but for YouTube, because then eventually I got known for doing these like documentary format exposees on a day in the life of a character, So like b roll footage of just them living, you know, a day in their life, cut with like interviews like in the office or something, you know, talking about who they are and what they stand for.
Speaker 1: Oh, kind of like the office set up. Okay, okay, yes, So I.
Speaker 2: Found that format at the law firm, and then I kind of translated that in my videos and and and uh I still do that today, and I still keep in touch with everyone at the law firm as well, because there, you know, I was there for three years and so I was very close with a lot of.
Speaker 1: I'm okay, service up. Yeah, So your dish looks legit.
Speaker 2: It's you know, I can't say I cooked it, but it looks like I did some. Yeah, and this might get everywhere. I'm so sorry if it does.
Speaker 1: As long as it doesn't splash on me, I'm good.
Speaker 2: Okay, it looks good, all right, And I have the rest of it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I have it.
Speaker 2: Here it goes.
Speaker 1: Have fun because this definitely looks like what you described the classroom, the cafeteria. It looks like something that my dog would you know, it just is.
Speaker 2: Your dog cute. I'm gonna have some of this.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, I'm gonna I'm gonna do whatever you do.
Speaker 2: So you're telling me about your I.
Speaker 1: Was just describing this meal through my dog, and you don't want to know how I was describing it. But do you mix it in?
Speaker 2: No? Well, I was already chicken mixed in there. This is just like the salad chicken.
Speaker 1: Okay, so we're going to test the balsamic canned chicken. Just playing here we go.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, it takes me back.
Speaker 1: Don't know what I know. The camera caught my face on that one.
Speaker 2: Was it not a good face?
Speaker 1: I didn't see it was one of those Oh wait, passed me the balsomac. I don't know if I can taste it.
Speaker 5: Oh my god.
Speaker 1: I used to eat this.
Speaker 2: Yeah, used to the sepreneur.
Speaker 1: Do you see I just drowned it in balstomic Hold on, you know you are a perfect guest for this show. I really believe you were broken at some point.
Speaker 2: I don't eat anymore, but I don't hate it either.
Speaker 1: Kudos do you? Man?
Speaker 2: I was actually I was actually broke them back then. I really I was digging through my night span for one dollar bills for all.
Speaker 1: Right, here we go, I'm gonna try the I'll try it too, Okay, what do you think I'll go down with the sogne alight, it's good. I want to try it with the chicken mix. The naked chicken is is much better, much better, And I really like it with the chicken.
Speaker 2: And sometimes with lamb or beef you could like substitute put other stuff in it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's a great dish. It's a great dish, and I love it with the balsamic chicken. I would not recommend for any listeners to eat it the way Brandon was eating it when he was broke. The plain chicken in the balsamic vinegar is not what I would recommend them. Taste wise.
Speaker 2: Well, I love about Indian food is it's it's one of the cuisines that's just as healthy as it is flavor. Folder's so much flavor, and there's seeing this and it's very good for you.
Speaker 1: Now a lot of the listeners don't know, but I did get non bread, and I do feel like if you had non bread with this, it would be so much better. Yeah, it is.
Speaker 2: I would on like they're kind of made for each other, you know, because you can eat it like a taco. You could dip it. There's so many varieties of how to.
Speaker 1: Eat the Should I try the cheese just just to take.
Speaker 2: One throe it is to but it is good. Here we go.
Speaker 1: Wait, is that the cheese or the chicken? No, that's the cheese.
Speaker 2: Squear one is the cheese.
Speaker 1: Oh it's good. It's really good.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I don't know why I was like expecting. First of all, I don't know if this is like tofu texture. You don't think so I kind of was, but it kind of reminds me of like mozzarella cheese texture, you know, like when you buy the mozzarella cheese sticks.
Speaker 2: You're right, I see that as well.
Speaker 1: So that's just great dish, hm, a great dish, acquired taste dish for all listeners.
Speaker 2: It's good for you, and let me tell you, it's good for your digestion. It's good.
Speaker 1: That's what I was going to say. Yeah, if you haven't any type of issue like this, I'm pretty sure you're fine, O tap.
Speaker 2: It looks like this going in smooth stale.
Speaker 1: So you're doing these videos, can you tell me, like, what was the check that monetized? What was your first monetization check?
Speaker 2: So the first check was several months of build up of me like I was earning money, but I wasn't. I couldn't find it for some reason. I took me three months to get my first check. So that first check was I want to say it was close to two thousand dollars. But this was over like several.
Speaker 1: Months of doing and this is a couple of years into your platform or this.
Speaker 2: Was around two thousand and eight, two thousand and nine, somewhere around there. And so the first thing I did was I bought plane tickets and I just flew to places and I would find and get this. It was I'm lucky, I'm still alive. I would stay at fans houses. I didn't have a lot of fans back then, but there were some people that you know, that watched me, and I would get in touch with them and they say, hey, if you're ever in Chicago, you know, and I'd be like, hey, I'm going to Chicago. Can I and that's how I would I wouldn't pay for hotels. I would stay at strangers houses who knew me from the internet.
Speaker 1: And did you did you become actual friends with them or.
Speaker 2: Yeah, A lot of them I still talk to to this day. One of them I met at an airport in Illinois and we went on a road trip and drove all the way down to I want to say, Kentucky. Yeah, we went to Oh.
Speaker 1: My gosh, you're alive. You know what, though, I had another guest do that too. They like where their fans were, and their fans kind of held them down.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't recommend that. I was very stupid when I did that. I did so many stupid things. And back then, they didn't have map quests. So we went on this road trip. I mean, they didn't have like like navigation, you know, not even Garman was really a thing back then. So we would have to call this hot line and it would you would just tell them where you were, and it was automated and it would just say, like press one when you get to this intersection. So you'd be driving okay one boop okay. In three miles, your turn right. And that's how we had to do our shit back then, and then while you were waiting you had to listen to ads play, so you were just like listening to an ad and then oh, one, we're here at the thing, and so yeah, that was that was not fun. But yeah, all right, I that was my first check, my first check. I just I blew it all on travel.
Speaker 1: And then how long did it take for your next check to come?
Speaker 2: It was so I think it was a few months after that because I wouldn't pay you unless it was over a certain amount. When was it was like five hundred dollars, No, one hundred dollars.
Speaker 1: Oh wow.
Speaker 2: So I didn't get paid until it was like months. That was in the winter time, and I was going on all those flights, so like summer rolls around and like finally my next check comes in, it's like one hundred and ten dollars, and so that was that was not fun. But so it didn't it didn't feel like I was even though I was an official partner at the time, I didn't feel like that. It felt like, oh, I'm getting these little thank yous every few times a year that are just like that. But it wasn't. It wasn't until probably twenty fifteen that I was actually making money on YouTube.
Speaker 1: And then what was that check? If you don't, mommy.
Speaker 2: Asked, I honestly don't remember, but I do remember. I quit my job when I was making enough per month. I was like topping the job.
Speaker 1: Oh, you were making it more than your actual day job. Yeah, that's smart. Okay. You didn't think like compounding. You were like, I'm out of here.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And then I started an LLC, which I put all my money into, and I kept my salary to this day, my salary, my personal salary is the same as when I worked at the law firm, just to like keep it cat.
Speaker 1: Oh, so you you. I love this and I want everyone to listen to this because a lot of people don't know to do this. But he created an LLC, And then did you put yourself on like a payroll, like an ADP payroll. I do that. I personally do that a lot of people. I tell people to do that all the time. Oh yes, And I keep my salary still the same and very low. I literally only pay myself like sixty K a year on my salary, and I do an escorp. I don't do LLC.
Speaker 2: Oh.
Speaker 1: I love escorps. I'm a super fan freak of an escorp.
Speaker 2: It sounds more elite an escort.
Speaker 1: Well, it's the way when you do your tax at the end of the year, it breaks down a lot better. You end up saving more money with the escort because you do a draw. You do a draw, so it'll be your salary plus your profit and then you pay the taxes. I love it. That's how I do it. I start, I always start as a C corp, but usually I end up as an escorp in the end. Most accountants will push you towards it, and my biggest regret was not turning into an escorps sooner. So now I just up front, I'm like corp escort es corp. Yeah yeah, so you should talk to your account about it, by the way, it yeah yeah, yeah, I'm all. When I have consultations with my accountant, it's very thorough. I ask a lot of questions because when I was twenty one, I got like leans on my stuff from my first business, and then I learned that the state of California is a lot meaner than irs.
Speaker 2: Oh damn.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Well they don't play.
Speaker 2: I'm I mean, I just tell my I tell my accountant just figure it out for me.
Speaker 1: Oh no, I don't. I think I used to do that, and then when I got in trouble, I said, no, explain everything, and and now I do my own p and ls, like I manage everything. Well, now I'm not gonna lie. A new hack I do is I get the AMX credit card. AMEX has a good credit card, but most credit cards they break down your financial statements like into like transportation or whatever at the end of the year, and you could turn that whole file over to your account and save a ton of money. Oh yeah, So I put everything on the AMEX and then it breaks it down at the end of the year. I take the whole file give it to the account.
Speaker 2: This year, we just started doing AMX for oh for different reasons. I was using another card and that was it was what we shoot looks so fraudulent on our record, like the way like you know, you buy like five hundred dollars of fake blood or whatever and then like venmo fifty people for what I It's just on record, it's like, what the hell were you doing? But no, AMEX has been a life saver, and they did not pay for this interview. As far as I know, they don't.
Speaker 1: They don't, They actually don't know. I wish I had some AMX sponsors. Hello, shout us out right. So then so now, so at this point, you're now fully supporting yourself. I want to backcheck to something you said earlier. Yes, when it came to doing your editing, because I know there's certain I try to learn a little bit about every part of my company, especially because when I'm hiring for that department, I hate to assume that job's really easy. They don't know what they talk about. They try to overcharge. I think it's so important to like know enough about a role to respect everyone's position, really thoroughly respect their position in the company. And so, but editing is one of those things where I'm like, I don't want to add another thing to my thing. But for you, was editing something that was like a pain area and you were just like I'm gonna do it or was it something you were always passionate about.
Speaker 2: At a glance, if I were to line up all the job the main like divisions of what it takes to pull off a production, editing certainly seems like the most daunting. It seems like the one you need the most training for. It seems like something you to figure out what software and then foot you're working with all virtually all the other departments. I learned editing first before I learned anything else, and I even then I knew that if I can learn editing, all everything else is easy. You know, everything else is. I can learn how to do makeup, I can learn to act, I can learn to write, I can learn to and a lot of those things I already liked doing, especially because I was gay. I loved makeup and costumes and wigs and acting and being loud and being a kooky guy, and so that was all something I love to do. And when I realized how easy editing is, because it really is a lot easier in my opinion than it looks. I learned on iMovie in two thousand.
Speaker 1: I remember iMovie, Yeah, okay.
Speaker 2: And I learned on iMovie and get this to this day, I still use eyemovie if it's on a special effects shot, it's done an iMovie. Wow. And it's advanced a lot over the years, but not much. I mean, the interface is still pretty simple.
Speaker 1: Do you ever edit on your phone or you just edit on your laptop?
Speaker 2: If it's like a social post, like a TikTok, I'll edit on my phone. But I like to edit on the computer. There's just something nice about sitting down and spending time with an edit comfortably, with a coffee at your side, a joint in the other hand. And but I I personally love editing. You know, you see people playing video games and they get glued to their couch for hours. Whatever's flaring in their brain at that time. That's that's going off in my head. When I edit, it's at that same addiction of like, you know, you're because a video game, you're building, you're building, and then you have a save point and then you get up and go get lunch. It's like editing. You have a say okay, I got all this done. Okay, this is a good break point, but you go. It feels like I'm having fun when it's something that I would have otherwise. You know, paid someone to do editing is something I really like because you're you're having the final say at the comedic timing of which take you get to use all that are Those are fun choices for me to make.
Speaker 1: No, do you consider yourself. I know when I introduced you as said comedian, writer, act or all all these writer, actor, comedian, But the one thing I didn't say was entrepreneur. But do you consider yourself an entrepreneur?
Speaker 2: I do. When I think of entrepreneur, I think as something more of like selling a physical product or someone who like creates some but anyone who has very few, if any people to thank, you know, for all of the found you know, fundamental. I mean, we all have people to think, but ultimately, like you've built your business. I've built my business. People who who where the business they spent years building. I had some music entrepreneur or someone who you know, got to create something that, you know, especially if pays the bills. That's the American dream. And so I I never say the word entrepreneur. If anything, I'll say comedian. Okay, because if everything else fails, if every if the world goes to shit and you know whatever, I like to think that at least I'll still have my of humor and at least I'm still So I don't know, and kind of the ability to be a comedian kind of funnels into everything else I do, into the editing, into the social media.
Speaker 1: And you also do tours, yes, and to that too.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so I do live as characters. I go around the country and I perform at different I do like an hour long like seminar as like a character to my audience, and it's very interactive and I get to meet my fans up close.
Speaker 1: And then do you actually set up your whole tour or do you have a team that does it for me?
Speaker 2: I have a team. Yeah, I'm with Levity Talent and they are titans in the comedy scene. They they've been angels to me since two thousand and seventeen sixteen. I've been with them for quite a while, so yeah, they kind of they'll, you know, help craft the whole thing, and they send me out in the road and they always take care of me.
Speaker 1: Oh awesome. And then you said that you still live on the same salary.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Now I'm curious when you say you still live on the same soule. Is it because you budget well or is it because you offset some of your expenses to your business.
Speaker 2: It's a little of both. I mean, so much of what I spend, so much of what I spend money on is my whole life is my work. I really I live very minimally. I don't nothing that I own at home is super lavish. I drive like a Honda, and I'm not anything I spend money on. Usually it's for the videos, and so I don't know, I would just rather put my dollars and cents in front of the camera rather than you know, having a really nice, you know, trailer to be in when I'm not filming, or having a really nice house or something.
Speaker 1: But you're living your purpose, So I would feel like you in even meeting you and getting to know you, and it seems like you're much more into like your purpose, your vision what I guess you're painting the world you want to see when you're creating, right, you're a creator.
Speaker 2: It's I feel like the world that I create is a reflection of the world that I see. A lot of the cares and settings are a mirror, a twisted, warped like circus mirror version of what was real life. And uh, I don't know. I ultimately just want to be a place at the end of the day for people to come to and kind of get lost in. It's for me, I get lost in scripted content quite a bit, you know, more than reality I get, you know, I love being told a story, So I try to be that on YouTube. There aren't a lot of scripted things on YouTube these days, and you know, I really try and encourage people to do more scripted stuff that it's still like a really fun and creative medium of entertainment.
Speaker 1: Do you ever keep up with Country Wayne? Do you ever see his stuff? His stuff?
Speaker 2: No, I live under a rock though I rarely scroll. But is it? Is it pretty fast?
Speaker 1: I mean it's pretty good. But I will say this, like some of the checks that they like people have mentioned on the show about like some of the YouTube checks that they're getting. I will say that sometimes I wonder if YouTube's paying you, say two hundred three hundred thousand or whatever. You got to wonder at some point what the real value you're at, right, because YouTube's only paying you percentage. And I don't know if that's the me listening too much jay Z, because right way, if YouTube's cutting you at check with two hundred thousand, how much is this foot it's really worth?
Speaker 2: Right? Right? And and honestly it's doys worth as much as it's watched. Honestly, you know, people, and every year it feels like you know you're you're kind of encouraged, not just from YouTube but from every platform. You're kind of encouraged a new set of guidelines. I mean, before they were pushing longer form content, and now it's all about how short the content can be. I just firmly believe as long as it's good, it'll stand the test of time. I've had videos that I made over a decade ago that I still think are really good, and over time they found the love they deserve. They didn't blow up in their time, but over all these years, they you know, they found their audience, and I'm so glad I took the time to make sure it was good. Whether the video is short or long, I'm glad it was good. And a lot of people will mold their content around what the algorithm wants. Currently. Yeah, and that's great for right now. Maybe you'll get a big surge in the first week or two, you know, but I don't think that, you know, I would rather leave behind a legacy of work that I am proud of and would want to show people then like really make it bend around an algorithm request at that time. Now, is that to say that I don't try and make the algorithm happy. No, I definitely try and suck it to dick as much as I can.
Speaker 1: How are you able to keep up with sorry, how are you able to keep up with the algorithm rules? Like how do you how do you keep up with the like how are you doing that?
Speaker 2: And not suffer burnout all that time? I'm gonna have more of this chicken. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I love that you're eating in everything.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Yeah, it's hard. There are weeks where I feel burnt out. There are weeks where I'm sad or physically tired or you know, and you still have to be funny and then you still have to put on the costume and still have to especially when you're working with so many people, have a lot of actors and crew that were you know, if we have a date book, I'm not going to push back the date because I just was in a bad mood that day, you know. So there is a level of like leave your shit at the door and just do the job. And it can really feel sometimes, especially when it's like a bigger production, you know, and it takes weeks to shoot before you see any kind of like audience appreciation for it. It can just feel like you're just making something that you know, and you know, we do get we do get pampered with instant gratification. So if I'm working on a production more than three weeks, it feels like it's been forever. No one's gonna you know, I haven't seen my audience hasn't seen me in a year. So it can be tough to staying focused and driven to just finish a project, get it done, and upload it. Because another thing that's kind of demotivating is that there isn't really a celebration for anything. When it comes out. People will watch it as you know, a surge of comments in the first few days, but then immediately it's like, Okay, what's next.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And that can be yea yeah.
Speaker 2: Especially as an artist. If you're a vlog or whatever, you're just filming your life. But even that takes editing, that takes work. You pour your heart and soul into a video and then people just watch it, digested, shit it out and want the next thing. Yeah, that's demotivating for an artist because it's like, when you're getting excited for the next idea you're part of, you starts to think about after it's released and how short lived that victory will feel. It's not like a live performance e there where you hear the laughter. You know, there's no sense of did they like it? The comments say sick, lol, cool, but it's like did they enjoy it. I'll watch the reaction videos, so people will do reaction videos and I'll watch those and you can see where they laugh and it's like having a focus group and you could see which parts maybe they were bored, which parts they were interested in. So that helps a lot.
Speaker 1: Now, when you're doing all these productions, do you do you see yourself long term wise? Like going on a major network. You know, you have to feel like you're you're almost training for the Olympics at this point. You know, by the time you get to a major network, you're going to be like this, four episodes in the can in a month. You know, it's like working for p Diddy, but you're you know when you're when you're doing what you're doing.
Speaker 2: The dream really is Netflix or any kind of or a twenty four have some kind of a platform that's known for letting creators be creators. I would love that, But in my experience, a lot of networks love getting their hands in there, and they're usually people that are several decades older, have zero life, you know, there's no overlap in experience with and so you know, I did a show called Magic fun House, and that was a goddamn nightmare, but it was I it was my first show, like actual show. You know. It's the only thing that Hollywood really recognizes like a legit production that I've done because it was done by super DeLux, which is ran by the guy that ran a division of CBS. It's had TV blood in it. They gave me money for us for two seasons of a show, and it is on record the most watched show on the network before the network went under. But oh, it was nothing but pushback. It was nothing but just I would come up with a script, or I would come up with a concept for every episode. They would approve these concepts, and then I would spend weeks writing these episodes out, and then they would look at them and go, we can't afford this, we can't afford this, we can't afford this, And so then I'm having And they would expect these cuts made to the script in like a small fraction of the time, cuts that wouldn't require you to fundamentally change the story and we only have weeks away. You're only allowed to have this many actors per episode, You're only allowed to have this many locations per episode. So now everything I make is kind of a little bit to spite them, because I love making stuff that has a myriad. Every new location I have a scene take place in is a middle finger to them, being like, oh, here's a new if I want time. Wrote a scene in a bedroom, and they did. They wanted me to cut it because they would have to build the set to the bedroom. I'm like, just go to someone's apart to find it. Nope, because this show had to be done by the books, like it has to be done in studio. That's a company move. We can't bring our we can't bring our craft food services, we can't bring our set, medic to this apartment. Like don't. I'm not. I don't want them to know, but what we have to so we're just gonna keep So they had to build, They've built.
Speaker 1: So I have to experience that. Would you I would? I would assume you like your freedom more.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, and and and I've heard the same thing from from other people who have kind of merged with a big network and has to you know, have to produce under a bunch of you know, old rich white men. You know that that I think they know better for your art than you do. Is a nightmare because what a lot of times they'll let you get creative enough, and then when they start seeing it materialize and realize how much it's gonna cost, that's when they start getting That's when they start getting creative.
Speaker 5: You know what I mean, Like, wait a minute, wait the way.
Speaker 2: And those people, like a good executive really stays out of the If y'all can agree on a number, that's great, but you know that the number kept changing and during production and all of a sudden we couldn't afford things. I showed up to set one day and there's all these other actors getting in hair and makeup, and I said, who are these people? And they're like, oh, these we We actually found some extra room in the budget, so we got you some extras for the scene. I said, this scene doesn't require extras. We had to send them all.
Speaker 1: Home because it was and they had already paid.
Speaker 2: For it, already paid for it. The money was just going out of everyone's asshole on that project. So and and uh, it was just nothing but tension between me and the execs on that show. And in season two I made the whole story about like evil executives, and anytime there's an executive in my videos are usually pretty imposing and evil. And it definitely is sort of my own reminder of like, remember this is the experience you had with them, But I don't know that was the very isolated, uh, you know experience. Ever since then, I've had nothing but amazing experiences with larger production. I'm kind of glad that I had that first really you know, yeah, tough experience, but it was. Yeah, it put things in perspective in terms of what my dreams are in terms of do I want. Is being on a network production the end all? Is it the ultimate thing to achieve? Or is working on a production that gets just as many if not more views with less money, you know, with making it with your friends without these restrictions. I mean, it is kind of a I never would have thought that making YouTube videos would be more enjoyable than doing like a television production, but from my experience, it really is like a fun way to just get your creative juices out of you without having to run them through a whole company to say it's okay.
Speaker 1: Now, your journey was long, and I feel like I've touched on more of the more fun sides of it. I'm curious what a journey as long as it is, What were your personal demons that a lot of people weren't privy to to getting to where you are.
Speaker 2: My body weight is the first, second, and third thing that was the biggest. Every day I'd wake up hating myself. I'd go to bed hating myself. Strictly, it was all strictly physical. It wasn't you know I And it sucks because I really thought at the time, I was like, I have the ability to write these beautiful stories and these amazing, you know, characters, and I kind of that was my escape, was living in these this fictitious world of these characters that I would create, because in the real world, I didn't feel like pretty enough or good looking enough. I didn't feel like, you know, a lot of people would get big just being cute, and I didn't have that ability. So I felt this pressure to to really work harder on my art. So there was always this resentment on my body weight because I'm like, well, maybe if I was just thinner, I wouldn't have to work so hard, and I would. I had so many eating disorders, like so I would starve myself. I would binge, I would make myself throw up. I would I did everything. I would eat this shit.
Speaker 1: Now you ate this not just because you were broke, but because you were also trying to stay lean.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean it's it's a very deep psychological thing that I've been battling my whole life. Is just my body image. In school, I was constantly made fun of for my body weight. I remember in Pe we had to weigh ourselves every semester. We had to weigh ourselves in front of all the other boys, and we'd get up on the scale and he would the jim tsher would shout off the weight to someone else logging it in a book, so everyone knew what everyone weighed. And I was one sixty at eleven years old, and that was my nickname for the rest of the year. It was one sixty.
Speaker 1: Oh woweah, yeah, so that's where that can definitely.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it put me in a really unhealthy place that made me obsess over my body, and much of it still is stuff I'm dealing with today.
Speaker 1: But because I was going to say you're very lean, You're very I would say more on the well, I don't want to say, but like on the slimmer side, right.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Well I would have. I mean, i'd be very happy to hear that. A long time ago, and I am still happy. I work hard and I eat healthy. I worked out every day. But it's from a lot of mental illness, Like it's from a lot of just me hating my own body for so many years. And I do think I have a lot of like there's an element of body dysmorphic disorder where all you know, I look in a mirror and I'm kind of reminded subtly, like, oh, I'm to this day, I'll still expect to see someone who looks like how I looked.
Speaker 1: So like, when you look in the mirror, you don't necessarily see yourself, or do you do you just think back on what you felt like you looked like before.
Speaker 2: It's that I'm reminded, Oh, yeah, that's right, that's what I look like like. I look at myself in a mirror and I'm like, oh, yeah, that's what I look like now. But when I look away, it's I ha to like think of what I looked like, it's oh yes, oh wow, you know if I even to, like when I get out of a car every now and then, I have to brace myself to stand up because it was over a hundred, like hundred pounds that I lost roughly, and so whenever I stand up, part of me still thinks I have to, but I'm like, oh, I can stand up. Yeah, So so it's it's, uh, it's weird. You know. I totally get people who like I really do understand people who who suffer with body image issues of many different kinds because we all we all do to an extent. But yeah, the be wanting to be an actor and being overweight was really it was hard for me to live with it because I was also brown and the town I lived in it was a it was a very affluent white town, and so I felt I felt gay, I felt fat, I felt brown. I just felt like I was a sub teer on every level. Yeah that I wasn't you know, I wasn't allowed to be at or the lead character.
Speaker 1: Were you openly gay too or not?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 1: No, okay, it.
Speaker 2: Didn't really matter. No people, I mean, I still got called faggot all the time. But uh you know, oh yeah, yeah, it was. It almost didn't matter if I was in the closet or not, because it was if you acted feminine. And it was really hard for me to hide that. Like I had to really learn how to master the musk of my voice. I had to really learn how to like non lisp and not walk with a you know, check my nails like this and not like this.
Speaker 1: And so just again like that's a lot of different pressures. It really, there's a lot of different pressures, not just to wake up. But it's crazy because you you grow up in this environment where it seems like you're mentally almost hating on yourself, right, but then you find this escape, which is being ultimately the most creative genius. Right, You're a creative genius.
Speaker 2: I knew that I was a very I knew that I was creative more than other kids in school, and like I guess, if I had any form of self love, it was knowing that there was something special in my brain. And I always kind of knew that, and everyone I think is unique and special, but I really knew like I would I would go home and I'd draw and I'd write stories, and there was like a world. Somewhere in here, I knew that, like I can get lost in my imagination, it helps me just process shit if I if I write it or draw it or put it into a physical medium, and and then you know, I would go back to school or I go back to work as I got older, and I'd be immersed into this world that reminds me that like, oh, nope, you're not smart enough, you're not healthy enough, you're not whatever enough to do anything outside of your own little universe. And that's kind of been a chip on my shoulder my whole life. And it's something that you know, I've gone to therapy for years over is this feeling of everything I do just isn't good enough and I have to do it on my own. And that's it's really tough because you know, a lot of my the products that got me here, it was me doing it at a time when not a lot of people believed in me or not, you know, and and so yeah, it's it's I definitely felt that, especially back then when I was living back home, this inferiority complex of being too anything in a certain direction. I was too fat, too brown.
Speaker 1: Too Where's back home?
Speaker 2: Just scared livermore so five hours up north from my own.
Speaker 1: In California, California.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah.
Speaker 1: And then okay, okay, and then what race are you?
Speaker 2: So? I'm Spanish in Filipino.
Speaker 1: Spanish and Filipino predominantly. Was it difficult when you were going through like the body dysmorphia to get on camera and play characters?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Yeah. In fact, you can tell when I lost all the weight because I all my characters were suddenly like naked, Like they were all like not naked, but like they wore very little clothing. Yeah, yeah, and that was really. Yeah. I had a mom character who wears like a skin tight spandex suit, and then I have, you know, a character wearing short shorts, and before that, all my characters wore long sleeves and were like wearing suits and ties, and so yeah, that was not Yeah, yeah, my body weight was was really I had a magnifying glass on it because of all the characters I played.
Speaker 1: Wow. Okay, and then now, what would you say is one of your hardest milestones that you deal with on a regular basis now that you've more arrived, I would say.
Speaker 2: I feel like just I feel like just you know, feeling that that normal sense of community that I felt when I when I was like back home. It's hard because I don't have a lot of time and I'm either writing, editing, or filming, and so it feels like like my social life has dwindled quite a bit. And I've talked to other influencers or content creators and I've heard similar stories. There is kind of a trade off, you know, when your lifestyle shifts, you gain things you like and you lose things that you know. You know, there's a good trade off you and I think part of the trade off for for where I am now versus where I was before was the sense of just I'm not around people as much as I and you'd think I was around more people because I'm on set more and I'm working with all these actors. What people see on social media me around all these people in a studio is that's like the only time I'm out of the house. So that's like the ten percent of time that other ninety percent of the time I'm home alone having to like, you know, edit.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So it's funny you say that because the friends that I do have that are influencers, I literally can send them a text, right now, like, let's go hang out, and they're like, unless you want to go work out tomorrow, The answer is no. That's like literally, if I want to hang out with any of them, I'm like, what time are you working out tomorrow? They're like two o'clock, be at the house. If I say, hey, guys, I'm going through something and I just really need someone to talk to, They're like, call a suicide hotline. I wish you the fucking best. Believe in yourself. There are people with much worse, but I promise you their text will be something like that, wish you the best. Believe in yourself. There's people to have it way worse. Get the fuck over it, call a hotline. I'm not a therapist, and these are really good friends of mine, and as fucked up as their text sound, it's the truth and it snatch me out of whatever. But I will say, all my influencer friends, the only time I can hang out with them is if I say what time you working out tomorrow? That's the only time you know.
Speaker 2: And that's that's that's such an l a thing too, I feel, and I'm I know what you mean. Are you the same way?
Speaker 1: If I were to be like, Yo, Brandon, let's meet up. You'd be like, well, what's I'm working out at two o'clock. You can show it to a clock you.
Speaker 2: Call the suicide hotline. No, no, I I I. The thing is everyone's so busy in their own lane here that the only way for people to see each other is if you both see each other doing something you were already gonna do, so like it was a working out thing, because I've done I've had so many workout hangouts where it's like you want to go on a hike. Oh, yeah, I was supposed to work out tomorrow. You're gonna work. Let's just go on a hike. Yeah, I've definitely done that before. But I think that it's important that you know, you always have at least someone to turn to if you're going through a hard time, at least that one person. But it can it can get pretty lonely the higher up you Just in my experience when I was surrounded by the most love and and and people around me, that was like earlier and like you know, and every year I find myself myself spending more and more time alone to where I was like this last year, I think I spent new Years by myself.
Speaker 1: Oh I also start of my life by the way, guys, But yeah.
Speaker 2: I was. I was on Zoom with some other influencers who were also spending New Years by themselves. It was really good.
Speaker 1: That's actually pretty good to know because I think people when they see influencers, they think, oh my god, he is the best life, the most amazing life. And it's just like, well to hear that influencers are spending New Year's on Zoom alone. That's that's something that I don't think.
Speaker 2: No one talks about that. And I have a few friends that I hang out with that were actors and shows that I would watch before I moved to LA And when I hang out with them, it's not like we're hanging out at a big part. It's like we're hanging out, grabbing coffee or we're hanging I think this is this myth that like entertainers are abundantly surrounded by people, but that's only when you see them on camera they're with you know, for me at least, Yeah, like I said, ninety percent of the time, I'm just by myself. And it's kind of nice because Hollywood's a noisy place and if you can afford it by yourself in this town. Yeah, because it's not cheap living here. So I you know, as much as I hate being alone, I'm also reminded like, at least I can afford a roof over my head. And like, because I've had some crazy roommates.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, yeah, I've definitely had the times of a million roommates. And but you know, now, years later, I was thinking this morning, I'm so thankful for even the headaches that I get. I'm like, wow, Like, you know, I told you earlier my engineering headache, my engineering headache. But it's like, yo, how lucky am I to like have this is my problem of the day.
Speaker 2: I know, well there's champagne problems, but there's still problems, because oh there's still problems.
Speaker 1: They're real legit when you're going through your phone, Like.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's it's entertainment, is well what we do because we were very similar in the sense that we both produce our own thing, and it's it's it looks like entertainment to the rest of the world, but it's our jobs. And so like you, whatever part of your brain has to problem solve the way an accountant or a doctor, it's still that same part of your brain that's having and like, okay, like I got to figure this out. You know. It's it's entertainment, but it still is just as stressful as I think, like a real job.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you're prioritizing fires. And I always, I always, even when people call me and they're like, well you have a fire over here or fire over here, you have a fire over here, in my brain, I'm like, okay, which is the most important fire? Which fire can I delegate? And which fire they I ain't really worried about it, that's not really that's a you know, I have.
Speaker 2: The hardest time with that. I swear to God my fires, to me, they're all equal, and I will spend so much time putting out a fire that doesn't matter, while like my house is burning down, and.
Speaker 1: So yeah, no, I'll separate the fires from the from Okay, that's a I could delegate. I can hand that off. But what I do will, what I will say is that whenever I see a potential fire, oh yeah, I'm like, yo, that potential fire needs to be put out while it's a potential fire, right right, So, like before my engineer nightmares started, happened, Please believe I'll started and firefighters together the whole time. Look, we're getting the light, Brandon. It is such a pleasure to hang with you. Is there anything that you think that I missed that I could have shared that you you could have shared that your fans don't necessarily know about your story.
Speaker 2: You know, I gosh, don't eat canned chicken with balsonic vinegar. It really even eating kind of like I'm kind of like, I don't know if I should have eaten that, but no, I honestly I appreciate you having me here. I don't get to talk about that part of my life very much, but it is, I mean, my body, my weight, what I used to eat when I was broke is such a big part of me and makes me who I am today, And so thank you for giving me a space that really is appropriate to talk about that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and just so you know, as messed up as this is gonna sound, I appreciate you cooking for me. But I second that do not eat canned chicken with bolsonic vinegar. Every matter of fact, if you do the canned chicken, you know, definitely mix it with like a sogpreneiur or what have you book can Chicken should never be eaten straight out the can.
Speaker 2: I think we've said so preneer a different way every entrepreneur.
Speaker 1: Someone's gonna go on the comments and really hate us for this.
Speaker 2: It's so I know, it's all the accent marks. So it's all No, I I I really appreciate you having me here, Thank you?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: And then where can people? Where can guess catch up with Brandon Rogers?
Speaker 2: Oh? You can catch YouTube is my main spot by any search bar. Just type in my name, see what you find.
Speaker 1: And then Instagram and ticked out? And then do you also get paid from those platforms?
Speaker 2: Those are really more promotional tools for my YouTube?
Speaker 1: YouTube?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: YouTube? I heard Facebook is the real payer.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the YouTube is. I'm loyal to YouTube though.
Speaker 1: They have a YouTube and Facebook owned by the same company.
Speaker 2: No, no, Facebook Meta owns Facebook and then Google owns YouTube.
Speaker 1: I believe oh man, people have been getting paid on Facebook. Don't sleep on Facebook. You're gonna go home and he's gonna monetize the Facebook. Another text to his account. No, I hear Facebook's payouts are crazy.
Speaker 2: You know, I mean they're they are, They are very reputable. I don't want to knock them. They're great. I didn't have a Facebook show one day. They did pay for a show that I had a.
Speaker 1: Long time agot, but mainly it's YouTube, Instagram and TikTok. Yes, all right, guys, thank you so much for feeding me. On another episode of Eating Wall broke.
Speaker 2: Peace for more
Speaker 1: Eating while Broke from iHeartRadio and The Black Effect, Visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.