Speaker 1: Good morning, Erinds.
Speaker 2: Good morning everyone, and thank you for the invitation to come and share a story that I went through my career. In twenty twelve, I was an intern back in Dublin in a large teaching hospital. I was six months after finishing my intern year, aged twenty three, and I was working in a busy surgical unit. It was January and I was woken up about six am to go and start my journey to work. As I've gone to work, I've where in mind.
Speaker 1: It's a Thursday.
Speaker 2: I've already undertaken about thirty six hours of work within this work week from Monday, and I'm about to go and start on another Thursday. I feel I'm relatively well rested, but I know that I'm not feeling particularly good going in to start a very large shift, which I'm going to elaborate on a little bit now. At six point thirty, I arrive into work and I undertake results checking. We look at all the results of our patients from the day before, recent blood tests, recent scan results, and ultimately to prepare for the ward round when our surgeons and the consultants and the senior doctors will start undertaking looking at every patient on their list. At seven o'clock, we start sharp and we finish about eight o'clock. And at eight o'clock those senior surgeons will head off to surgery, and us as the junior doctors, will then undertake.
Speaker 1: The tasks of the day.
Speaker 2: We'll look at organizing consultations, We'll be writing letters, discharging patients, admitting new ones, and then deal with problems as they occur on the wards. It's fast paced. It's a busy unit, but it's something.
Speaker 1: That I thrive.
Speaker 2: I enjoy the challenges as they present. I really am passionate about the work and I'm very happy to work in such a busy environment. Even though you might only be getting twenty minutes for a quick lunch break, you feel very valued, You feel wanted and a key cog in that machine of the hospital. But there's very much a drive. You have to have the work done and it has to be done correctly. It's got to be done with precision, because at the end of the day, patient care depends on it. As the day continues, we tick over to about quarter to six in the evening, and then the surgeons are starting to come out of theater and then we start doing a further round through the hospital again of all the patients that have been under the lists, of the surgeons whom have operated, and those who are still waiting after their operations. These rounds then can finish about quarter past seven. So bear in minds I've been in the hospital since six point thirty and it's now quarter past seven at night, and then start the next part of my shift. And back in twenty twelve, we were routinely rostered to do twenty four hours, So I will then move from my day job to then providing night cover in the tertiary hospital, of which there are only four interns. All of us have only done six months prior, and we're all fresh out of college, maybe twenty three, twenty four to twenty five. We each cover in the region about one hundred and eighty patients, each with one senior doctor to call upon for assistance as we go.
Speaker 1: Through the night.
Speaker 2: Now, usually you would get a scattering of sleep here or there of a few hours, maybe hold each other's pages. This particular night in question, that was not going to be one of those cases. We were dealing with six patients across the hospital and in my particular area that I was looking after I know offhand I was dealing with the patient who was having an acute stroke on the middle of the ward, as well as a patient who was bleeding post operatively on the ward and trying to get them back to theater for emergency surgery. Jobs kept creeping up as we went through the night, and they did not stop. But then we were getting to six point thirty in the morning, and I was then starting to get set for the next ward round, which my.
Speaker 1: Team were getting prepared for.
Speaker 2: And it's at that point that I've been notified that we have a sick doctor on and I'm going to be required to stay, and my boss has asked me to stay and conduct surgery with them. Now, I'm not a surgeon, and I'm working under complete supervision of very senior surgeons at the time. I'm not putting any patient within risk because I'm simply holding a retractor. I'm not doing anything that's going to be compromising them. It is simply to be able to hold something in theater and provide that extra bit of support so the surgeon and their assistant can do their work under full supervision. At that time, I finished and wrapped up about eleven thirty in the morning and I'm excused, at which point I've probably been awake for about twenty nine hours and scatterings of sleep here or there. I make the decision to drive home, and nobody forced me to make this decision. I took that completely on myself. And as I'm driving down the Grand Canal in Dublin, I fall asleep at the wheel and I wake up with a jolt and I've put my car into the back of a large Dublin bus. I get out of the car, look at the smashed windscreen, completely obliterated bonnet, and smoke coming up the engine. I'm shaking. I'm uninjured, but really fraught with anxiety and just fear of what's happened. I call my dad, who's been a fantastic wealth of wealth of advice and support for me over the years, who helps me to navigate the situation in relation to getting insurance, calling retrieval authorities, etc. To get the cars off the road. He slowly makes his way to come and see me on the Grand Canal dock, and as traffic starts to move on, we get the daggered looks of the frustrated drivers whose days have been interrupted by my accident. But my dad has been a wealth of advice over the years, says to me is that this has been a very valuable learning curve for you, and you've gone through it without anybody being injured. And for me, that was what was really interesting, was because now as I reflect back on that, my life could have taken a very different turn. Not only was I uninjured, but I did not injure anybody else. And it's something that it really does strike fear in me that I didn't only put myself in a position of danger, but I put others in danger and it only cost me the price of my car, not the cost of someone's life or my own life, and leaving a family potentially having an injured family member or even my own family where they would have to have dealt with my debt because of the decision I made. But in reality, I was far too fatigued to make that decision correctly. And as I said, no one forced me to do this. This was something that I did on my own bat and it's something I reflect on every day as I go to work, whether I'm making sure that I am not in a position where I can make an error like.
Speaker 3: That again, that is just a terrifying and very relatable story.
Speaker 1: And I'm glad that you were okay.
Speaker 3: I'm glad everything turned out okay, and just thank you very much for sharing the story with us.
Speaker 4: Yeah, thank you. We're so glad, like you said that the accident wasn't worse than it was, and we really appreciate you sharing it with everybody here today. I think it's something that unfortunately a lot of us can probably relate to. So thank you so much, thank.
Speaker 5: You for having me. Thank you. Hi.
Speaker 4: I'm Aaron Welsh and I'm a'm an update and.
Speaker 3: This is this podcast will kill You and we are coming to you live with our very first recorded live episode from Perth, Australia, The Lovely Perth. We're here at the twenty twenty four AIOH Annual Scientific Conference and Exhibition and we are just thrilled to be here.
Speaker 1: We really are.
Speaker 4: Thank you all so much for having us. A huge thank you to Zach and Kelly and David and everybody who helped organize this conference. We are truly honored to be up here today speaking with you all.
Speaker 3: Really and in light of the fact that we are at the annual meeting of the Australian Institute of Occupational Hygienists, and we just flew across one million time zones to get here, not an exaggeration. We decided to focus on a topic that is of central importance to pretty much every industry, and that is fatigue, specifically fatigue caused by disruption in our circadian rhythms in the context of shift work.
Speaker 4: And because that alone is such a huge topic that there's no way that we could fit it all into a ninety minute plenary, We're not going to make you sit here for one hundred hours. Don't worry, We're going to take you through just a few parts of that. So first I'm going to focus on what do we mean by fatigue, how do we define that, and what does that actually mean, how our circadian rhythms actually work, and how disruption in circadian rhythms can lead to symptoms like fatigue, excessive daytime sleepiness, and so many other chronic health conditions.
Speaker 3: And then I'll get into how our understanding of circadian rhythms has evolved over time, the changes that led to shift work becoming as widespread as it is today, and how we came to recognize those negative effects of shift work. And then we're going to bring on a subject matter expert, doctor Ian Dunkin, who will share some of the current exciting research that's going on on circadian rhythms and how to combat the negative effects of things like shift work and jet lag.
Speaker 4: Yes, but first, no episode of our podcast this pla I Guess We'll kill you would be complete without a beverage that we call a quarantinie or in our case of place berta, because we don't have any alcoholic spirits in it.
Speaker 1: But we are drinking one today. Today we're drinking TikTok. You don't stop get it because it's like a clock. Yes, it'll be funny. We explain jokes so that they're not funny anymore. But in TikTok, you don't stop.
Speaker 4: There.
Speaker 3: It's a delicious beverage consisting of one ingredient, which is Australian ginger beer.
Speaker 1: So thank you.
Speaker 3: It's delicious and also easily modified. You can add whatever spirit you would like or just leave.
Speaker 1: It with a little bit of lime in there. Delicious.
Speaker 4: Sorry, we should have really had the foresight to make a drink for everyone, like under your seats you can find oh, my gosh, very Oprah.
Speaker 1: Cheers to you all.
Speaker 4: Okay, now, drinks are drunk, shall we We'll get into the biology of are circadian with us?
Speaker 1: I can't wait. Yeah, tell me all about it.
Speaker 4: It's going to be fun. So we decided to do this talk today on fatigue because it's kind of this universal experience that also happens to be an occupational hazard in so many different industries.
Speaker 1: Everyone has at.
Speaker 4: Some point been fatigued experienced fatigue. But when we talk about this idea, what do we actually mean, Like, how do we define fatigue?
Speaker 5: Right?
Speaker 1: It's super easy to define, right, Right, there's not a definition.
Speaker 4: There is not a single definition of fatigue, but there are a lot of different definitions. Most of them use a lot of synonyms, things like tiredness or exhaustion. Most of the definitions include something like the decreased ability to function at your normal capacity or something of decreased capacity for mental or physical work.
Speaker 1: Okay, So overall we're.
Speaker 4: Looking at fatigue as this generalized lack of energy that overall has some kind of impairment on your ability to function, be that your physical function or your cognitive function.
Speaker 1: All right, makes sense?
Speaker 4: Okay, And following but in that definition, what's important about it is that we then have to intentionally separate fatigue from sleepiness.
Speaker 1: Right, right, And how does one do that?
Speaker 4: How does one do that by defining sleepiness?
Speaker 1: Okay, more definitions, more definitions.
Speaker 4: So we can do this by defining sleepiness as directly related to the physiologic phenomenon that is the act of falling asleep, okay, because that means that it's something that we can measure, okay, at least to a better degree than we can fatigue, which is so nebulous. Right, And we do this. We can measure sleepiness with a couple of different tests. There's one called the multiple sleep latency test, which is I'm going to put you in a dark room and you're going to lay down and fall asleep. How long does it take you?
Speaker 1: Wow? Not stressful at all, right.
Speaker 4: And then there's also the maintenance of wakefulness test, which is how long can you stay awake if we sit to you in a dark room and ask you to not sleep.
Speaker 1: We have to be sitting just sitting with your thoughts in a dark room. No, I don't like that idea.
Speaker 4: Now, sleepiness itself like falling asleep, It's not a bad thing.
Speaker 1: Inherently, we have to sleep.
Speaker 4: It is required of all humans, and as humans are diurnal species, we have evolved to sleep.
Speaker 1: At night when it is dark and be awake when it is light.
Speaker 4: So being sleepy at night time itself is not a bad thing, but if that sleepiness is happening when we shouldn't be asleep, then it can lead to what's called excessive daytime sleepiness, or this inability to stay awake during hours when you should be awake, and that can be bad or, as we heard in our first hand account, even downright dangerous. Both excessive sleepiness and fatigue, though they are different, and these definitions are important, also kind of two halves of a story, and they both contribute to the kinds of accidents and workplace events like we heard about in our first hand account. And while circadian rhythm disruptions themselves are by no means the only things that can cause excessive daytime sleepiness or fatigue, these are two of the most immediate consequences that we see from circadian dysfunction. So having a basic understanding of what our circadian rhythms are and how they work can go a really long way to understanding what happens if they get pushed out of sync, which then can lead us to better anticipate the hazards that might be inherent to some professions, or recognize these symptoms when they start to crop up during certain phases of life. Hello newborns, Gotta love them. And then evaluating and understanding these consequences of this type of circadian disruption can help us to actually implement strategies in the future to help mitigate some of these.
Speaker 1: Hopefully we'll get there. Yeah, can it be done?
Speaker 5: Can it? So?
Speaker 4: Then, first we have to start with what really is circadian rhythm? And I think most people probably have a sense of what this.
Speaker 1: Means in their mind right.
Speaker 4: It comes from the Latin circa means about and ds or DM means.
Speaker 1: Day stole my line, Yeah, thank you, I try so.
Speaker 4: When we talk about a circadian rhythm, we're talking about cycles that are happening in our bodies on an about twenty four hour timeframe. And Aaron, I know later you're going to talk about why we have these rhythms. Yeah, like from an evolutionary perspective, yep, what are they.
Speaker 1: Doing for us? It's they're important? Are they? Let's find out yeah.
Speaker 4: But I'm going to focus first on how they actually work. And everyone is probably most familiar with a circadian rhythm in the context of sleep and our sleep wake cycle, because our sleep wake cycle is one of the most classic examples of our circadian rhythm in action. So we can see a few different things that oscillate in our sleep wake cycles. One of them is something like melotone in secretion. So our melotonin peaks in the couple of hours before we go to sleep, and then we'll go to sleep, our corticol levels will peak in the morning right about the time that we tend to wake up. We also see oscillations in our body temperature, with the lowest body temperature happening in the wee hours of the night while you're still asleep.
Speaker 1: I just want to ask why for each one of these.
Speaker 4: I don't have great answers, but I can tell you that what these like the why is that these processes together are what are driving our drive for wakefulness okay, and our pressure for sleep okay. So these three things, they're not the only things that are involved in what's literally keeping us awake during the day and telling our bodies we need to go to sleep at night.
Speaker 1: But these are three of the big.
Speaker 4: Drivers of that drive for wakefulness that happens during the day and that pressure for sleep that happens through like.
Speaker 1: Towards the night. But what's the deal with temperature?
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 1: I don't know? And also what is.
Speaker 3: That so use the body? But are changes by how many degrees?
Speaker 4: I knew you were going to ask that, and I meant to like look it up again to try and get in. I don't know.
Speaker 3: I don't know that it's twenty it's just the fool Yes, like a proportions of a degree.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, Okay, we're little changes.
Speaker 4: But it's enough that it's sort of in that period when we're close to waking up. That drop in temperature is what helps our bodies stay asleep essentially, right, it's colder, stay asleep, et cetera.
Speaker 3: Rkay, Okay, explain why didn't sleep well when I have that power?
Speaker 4: Yeah, we're going off track. So, as humans, because we're diurnal, we see these particular cycles again on this twenty four hour clock where sleep is happening at dark and a week time is happening during the light. So this is what we all think of when we think of circadian rhythm. But it is not just this our circadian rhythm, like literally every single function and process in our bodies from the cellular level, like the genes that are controlling which cells are going to divide, when the genes that are controlling DNA repair, does it happen in what cells? And when things like our immune system, our metabolism, our hunger cues, our bowel movements, our libidos, every function in our body is controlled to one degree or another by circadian processes.
Speaker 1: It's like the ultimate but weight. There's more. It's not just sleepwake, it's everything.
Speaker 4: Everything, and these all are our circadian rhythms. It's not just sleep, but sleep is a big part of our circadian rhythm. And these circadian rhythms are mechoganized internally in our bodies by what's called an intrinsic circadian clock. But not just one clock. We have multiple clocks. We have a main clock in the part of our brain that's called the super chismatic nucleus.
Speaker 3: I'm really glad that you pronounced this because I just wrote SCN over and over again.
Speaker 1: I don't even know if I talk about SCN. But no, now I.
Speaker 4: Know how to pronounce the SCN or the super chismatic nucleus, and this region in our brain functions as like a master regulator of our internal clock. But all of our peripheral cells and tissues, they all have clocks of their own, and together all these clocks drive our many many circadian rhythms, in large part by the build up and then the breakdown of specific proteins whose literal job it is to be made build up and then break down on a twenty four hour cycle to keep these clocks all in sync with each other.
Speaker 1: Okay, does that make sense?
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's like pretty basic, right, super simple.
Speaker 1: I'm sure it took no time at all to figure that out.
Speaker 4: No, no, no, So that's how these circadian clocks are working on like a cellular level. And I said that these are intrinsic, and we know that these are intrinsic because these cycles will persist on an.
Speaker 1: About twenty four hour basis.
Speaker 4: In humans, it's a little long. We tend to run about twenty four hours and ten minutes.
Speaker 1: I got eleven in here.
Speaker 4: Eleven minutes, eleven minutes, nine to eleven is what the literature says.
Speaker 3: We can have a rate anywhere from nine to eleven minutes and twenty four hours.
Speaker 4: And twenty four hours and eleven minutes nine to eleven and our clocks keep doing this even if we put someone in a dark room with absolutely no external environmental clue cues like in absence of the environment, our clocks still run. However, these environmental cues are in fact an essential part of our circadian rhythm because a lot like clocks, old tiny clocks, not new fangled watches which work by magic.
Speaker 1: Is how my magic I watch works.
Speaker 4: Okay, old tiny clocks mechanical ones you used to have to wind in order for them to keep correct time. Our circadian clocks also have to be wound in order to keep them on as close to a twenty four hour cycle as possible, and this happens through a process called entrainment. And the environmental cues that we use for entrainment in our circadian clocks are called zight gabers. Which is my attempt at German, and that is German for timegiver.
Speaker 1: How'd she do?
Speaker 4: Did anyone speak German?
Speaker 1: And not?
Speaker 5: Great?
Speaker 4: I can tell I tried really hard.
Speaker 1: Zight gabers.
Speaker 4: In humans, it is light, predominantly light from the sun that acts as our number one zyp giver or time giver, and the sun light from the sun is detected by these specialized cells in the back of our eyeballs that project directly to that SCN, the super chismatic nucleus, and that part of our brain again is this pacemaker that coordinates the cycles in all of the rest of our body. And they do this, they coordinate the timing of like so many different processes, right through direct and indirect pathways to keep us on this twenty four hour cycle in sync with the sun or the light around us. Now, light is by no means our only zight gaper. Food can be a powerful one, especially for other mammals other than humans.
Speaker 1: We also can.
Speaker 4: See, exercise, social activity, other things can serve as zitkeepers, but light is by far the primary one that our particular clocks use, which means that although these rhythms are generated internally, they do require entrainment, mostly via light in order for so many of our biological processes to match our environment. So when our environment changes, like when we travel across exactly nine time zones I counted between California and Western Australia to come to a conference ten for me, suffice to say, our internal clock no longer matches our external environment.
Speaker 6: I'm feeling okay, though I will say thank you caffeine.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's a big part of it, right, And we all know this particular phenomenon very well. This is jetlag. And with jet lag, because of this discrepancy between your external environment, the timing of light exposure, and where your internal circadian clock was set before you left, you end up feeling pretty terrible. Right, not myself, not today right now, we feel great, but you can end up feeling pretty terrible. You might have symptoms like a really hard time falling asleep when it's time to fall asleep, or maybe you simply cannot keep your eyes open for like an afternoon meeting when you get to where you're going. And because again, this malagested timing is affecting every body system that we have, not just sleep, it's not just being fatigued or being excessively sleepy, you might also have gi upset, mood changes, brain fog, and so much more. Now, in addition to regular old jet lag, there's also a phenomenon called social jet lag.
Speaker 1: We'll separate it all.
Speaker 4: Right, and social jetla is basically this idea that we all as like a society at large, not us in this room here. We have all decided that our day starts at like eight am, right, or whatever we can say for it, and that is where the day is supposed to start for everyone across the board.
Speaker 1: But a lot of us.
Speaker 4: Maybe end up relying on like our alarm clocks to wake us up on the weekdays to be able to get ready for work on time.
Speaker 3: A lot of us, I mean of us who doesn't that would be amazing?
Speaker 4: Yeah, And then when that happens, many of us might perhaps on weekends, when our schedule permits it, sleep in later, go to bed later, stay up later. So we have this shift in what our schedule looks like between weekdays and weekends. And it turns out that different people might feel differently. Some of you might be like, oh, yeah, I do that, and others are like, noth dude, six am, I'm.
Speaker 1: Ready to go.
Speaker 4: That's because we all have different chronotypes, and a chronotype is like different natural tendencies to either sleep early or sleep late, like early bird, night owl. It's a real thing. Which are I'm an early bird.
Speaker 1: You're an early bird? Like so what is the threshold? Like? What a fun question? I don't know. I don't know.
Speaker 4: I don't know if there's like a specific thing.
Speaker 1: And can you be neither or can you be like a light early?
Speaker 4: You can be neither, you can be whatever you want to be.
Speaker 1: Okay, are you an early bird? I think about mild early bird.
Speaker 4: Mild early bird?
Speaker 1: Ye like and not too early? Yeah bird?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't want the first word.
Speaker 1: One would be fuels.
Speaker 3: Are still left at the book and want them all gone.
Speaker 4: I love that I'm an early very early No, No, probably not.
Speaker 1: Maybe I wish I was. It's too much.
Speaker 4: But for people, especially who veer more night owl, then they might have an especially hard time waking up for that eight am start every day.
Speaker 5: Right.
Speaker 4: This is especially true for teenagers. And that's not just a stereotype teenagers. Actually we see shifts in their intrinsic circadian clocks during the teen years, and like.
Speaker 3: Most teenagers at least in the US, start their days at like.
Speaker 1: Before seven, right, which is do we do it? It was miserable.
Speaker 4: It wasn't my idea. And so this system of forcing these early wakings on some days and then maybe seeing a shift in what your patterns are like on the weekends, it can end up causing chronic sleep deprivation. And so that's what we see in this phenomenon of social jet lag, and that's something that a lot of us have probably experienced to one degree or another. But we also then have even more severe or persistent disruptions in our circadian cycle that can result from a more chronic forced mismatch between our environmental cues and our intrinsic clocks. And this is what we can see in shift work. So across the globe, it's estimated that anywhere between ten and thirty percent of all adults in industrialized countries.
Speaker 1: Which is a lot.
Speaker 4: That's a lot, work in shift work. And often if you work in shift work, then you might end up working outside of a traditional eight to five of like a regular old job, and that might mean you're working night shifts. And night shifts, of course, are going to require a complete flip of your circadian.
Speaker 1: Cycle where you have to adapt to working.
Speaker 4: Entirely during the dark hours and being asleep during the light hours.
Speaker 1: Right, But it might not just be night shift. It can also mean rotating shifts.
Speaker 4: It can mean late afternoon shifts that bleed into night time, or it can mean early early morning shifts that require you to start your day before the dawn.
Speaker 3: My mom was an afternoon night shift work, or an afternoon worker as a nurse. But she loved it because she would just lay out at the pool until three pm. She said, she was like, I loved it, and then I would go home. And maybe she is she a night owl, not anymore.
Speaker 1: Because that would track.
Speaker 4: But so all of any of these scenarios can serve to end up disrupting our circadian clock because they're disrupting the typical timing of our light dark exposure. In a lot of cases, it might be exposing our eyes and thus our brains to light essentially twenty four hours a day. And while sometimes people can adjust the timing of when they're asleep and when they're awake, like maybe they sleep just fine during the day, they like sleeping in late and then laying out in the sun or whatever, what we do see is that the vast majority of shift workers do not show a complete shift in all of their circadian rhythms, meaning things like their melatonin secretion, as an example, will still happen at night time, and in some cases can be up to twelve hours out of phase from when they're actually sleeping. Wow right.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 4: There was one paper I read that estimated that only about twenty five percent of people who work night shift long term actually show evidence of having a lot of these circadian rhythms actually being shifted in line with their real life. Wow right, it's a pretty low percentage, okay.
Speaker 3: And this is like continuous night shift work, not like rotating shift work or like two weeks on two week two exactly.
Speaker 4: This was a people who are like night shift for the long term. Yeah yeah, And so this can unsurprisingly result in what's called shift work disorder, which is a disorder that can be characterized by things like insomnia, which is difficulty falling asleep or staying asleep, or it might be excessive sleepiness like falling asleep when you shouldn't be at work or micronapping. But it can also lead to increased irritability, it can lead to mood changes like depression or anxiety, and it overall can lead to this mental fog that can lead to increases in mistakes because of all of this fatigue and sleepiness. So some studies suggest that working during the night alone increases the risk of workplace accidents by forty to one hundred percent.
Speaker 1: WHOA, which is huge.
Speaker 4: It's a huge range also, but it's also huge, like very significant. And shift work disorder alone is not that uncommon. Some papers estimate up to twenty seven percent of shift workers meet the formal definition of shift work shift work disorder.
Speaker 1: But on a practical.
Speaker 4: Level, everyone who has work shift work has probably experienced, to one degree or another, this negative effects of this circadian disruption. Yeah, but again, it's not just fatigue and sleepiness at work or outside of work, because especially what we see with time spent working night shifts having really significant impacts on long term health. Shift workers are at about a twenty to thirty five percent increased risk of breast cancer, prostate cancer, colorectal cancers, but also type two diabetes, coronary artery disease, and depression and many other chronic health conditions as well.
Speaker 3: Eric, But like, what is the mechanism for that? Like why, Yeah, what do we know about that?
Speaker 4: We don't know everything, which is a classic line, and I will say that there has in the literature been some pushback as to like how causal is this relationship because a lot of these disorders also have a lot of other lifestyle factors that influence them as well, and so sometimes you might see difference in lifestyle between people who work shift work or night shift work specifically compared to day shift workers and things like that. But the evidence, especially for cancers in animal studies, is so significant that circadian rhythm destruction in animal studies leads to cancer formation, tumor growth. And it is such overwhelming evidence that the International Agency for Research on Cancer named night shift work a probable carcinogen all the way back in.
Speaker 1: Two thousand and seven. Wow, this is like a new information.
Speaker 4: But then if we dig even deeper on like what is the mechanisms, we know that our circadian rhythms are affecting so much of our overall body functions, and what we see is that disynchrony of our sleep wake cycles and our endogenous circadian rhythms ends up leading to things like increases in blood pressure, reduced insulin sensitivity, elevated lipid concentration, and so all of these might put us at risk for things like diabetes, hypertension.
Speaker 1: Cardiovascular disease.
Speaker 4: There's also some evidence between like timing of and amount of melatonin secretion and the effects on uncogenesis or cancer formation.
Speaker 1: That's interesting exactly.
Speaker 4: So at like a basic level, what it's thought to be is that all of these increases in risk are a result of the fact that so many of us working night shifts. Our endogenous circadian rhythms do not adapt to this forced pattern of being a weak.
Speaker 1: At night and being asleep during the day.
Speaker 4: So it's a mismatch between our internal cycles and the environment.
Speaker 1: So that's the best answer I've got. I mean, I think that's a pretty good awer.
Speaker 4: Parts it is, yeah, and probably a lot of specific mechanisms that go into each of the different disorders and things like that, But on the whole, I think I've convinced you all that it's abundantly clear that our circadian rhythms are very, very integral, not just in our sleeping and our weakness and our alertness or fatigue, but also in so much of our health. So circadian rhythms are an important thing to consider in the context of a lot of our stages of life, a lot of our professions.
Speaker 1: So I have a question for you erin uh huh, ask go ahead.
Speaker 4: If this thing, these things, these circadian rhythms that seem today to be it's so easy for us to disrupt them, to get get messed up. You just hop on a plane, just change.
Speaker 1: Your clocks back, just go into a grocery store at night.
Speaker 5: Right.
Speaker 4: If it's so easy for them to get disrupted, and when they get disrupted, they can cause so much trouble, why do we have them? What do they do for us as humans or creatures like you?
Speaker 1: And when?
Speaker 4: How did we know all of this? Tell me everything?
Speaker 3: Okay, I'll tell you as much as I can tell you, maybe not everything. Wherever you are, whether you're here in this room in Perth, Australia at this conference, or you're tuning in from across the world. I want you to imagine yourself as a dot on the globe, as a pin on the map I've.
Speaker 1: Marked Perth here.
Speaker 3: Now, let's rewind time, let's say two hundred million years or so, keeping that pin in its original coordinates, and I want you to picture a time lapse of the continents shifting, colliding, separating, oceans, expanding and shrinking, mountains forming and crumbling.
Speaker 1: What is your pin witnessing in all of this?
Speaker 3: Has it mostly been a drift in a vast ocean, or has it been at the center of continental action, witness to collisions and separations, or maybe your pin has seen it all. As our time lapse comes to an end eventually and the continents have settled into the familiar positions, let's take a minute to marvel at the incredible dynamic changes that our planet has seen over those two hundred million years, which is just a fraction of the Earth's four and a half billion year existence. Grasslands turned to deserts, rainforests turned to freshwater lakes, and temperature rainfall and atmospheric composition shifting tremendously over these millennia. Life on Earth has had to deal with a lot of change, even just over those two hundred million years. But throughout those transformations, there has remained one near constant. The sun always rises and the sun always sets.
Speaker 1: I love that so profound.
Speaker 3: And while the time between sunrise and sunset varies across latitudes and seasons, the existence of a day has always been a feature of life on Earth. So let's go back to your pain the map the two hundred million years ago, the day you'd experience outside of like having to fight and hide from dinosaurs, is nearly identical to the one that you'll experience today, just about an hour shorter thanks to the Earth's s gradual slow down. In a world filled with so much uncertainty, it can be reassuring to have that one constant. And this sentiment is shared across much of life on Earth. Most organisms have evolved to anticipate these daily changes. Plants, animals, fungi, algae, even cyanobacteria all possess internal clocks that control the timing of biological, physiological, and behavioral responses.
Speaker 4: We love that we see it, even in bacteria, likely fascinating.
Speaker 1: It's so cool. I also love that someone looked for that.
Speaker 4: Right They're like, we've got to find it here.
Speaker 3: It's not just us, It's not just us, it's everyone. Or is it? Is it that I don't know.
Speaker 1: Rhetorical question.
Speaker 3: But these behavioral responses, or these biological responses, things like sleep, like the release of certain hormones, or like feeding that occurs at certain times of day or night, and we call these rhythms that are these responses that repeat over a roughly twenty four hour period, of course, are circadian rhythms. The ubiquity of these rhythms across all or almost all of life. I guess I don't know what's going on in like the worms that live in the deep sea events.
Speaker 1: Whether they have they always mess things up.
Speaker 6: I don't know, they could have. They probably still be something we'll find out. Yeah, well we'll look into it. But it just speaks to how important these rhythms are. But why why would it.
Speaker 3: Be so crucial to partition our activity or our physiology across a twenty four.
Speaker 4: Hour period, That's my question?
Speaker 1: Why does it matter?
Speaker 3: In a word, optimization, Our external environment changes in many ways every day, availability, predator activity, temperature, When other members of your species are also out and about, you want to spend your energy where it counts. If you're a bird who relies on color vision for foraging for berries, you probably want to do that during the day, when the light actually helps you pick out those colorful berries.
Speaker 4: See them, you can actually see helps.
Speaker 3: But if you're a small prey mammal species like this flying squirrel, maybe running around at night is your best bet to escape predators or flying around.
Speaker 1: You also don't want to be active all the time. It will be exhausting.
Speaker 3: Our sleep is incredibly important for housekeeping tasks that our body can't do while we're running around, and circadian rhythms help us optimize how we spend our energy and when it's safe to get the rest that we need to recuperate.
Speaker 1: Anyone who has pulled an.
Speaker 3: All nighter or who has had to run on a few stolen hours of sleep after welcoming a newborn knows the pain of being out of sync with the world.
Speaker 1: But for the most part, we can easily.
Speaker 3: Recover from these one time or short term disruptions. But what happens when there is a constant mismatch between your internal clock and the external environment.
Speaker 1: Well, we know from what you.
Speaker 3: Just told us, Aaron, that it's really not great, not good for humans at the least, not good for most, if not all, of the animals we've studied, and decades of research have shown that it's not great for really anything. So let's take a minute to get into the story of how we came to understand these rhythms of our lives and the consequences of their disruption. Humans have recognized circadian rhythms in ourselves and other creatures for millennia. Aristotle in the fourth century BCE noted that bees slept bees, bees slept fourth century BCE.
Speaker 4: I love that they're just cutting open hives, being like, oh, that one's asleep.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, I'm sure. Sorry, you're disturbing up like this. Very's so cute.
Speaker 3: And around the same time and Rosthenes observed the leaves of the tamarin tree curling and uncurling over a day. The famous ancient Greek and Roman physicians Hippocrates and Galen described fevers that peaked at certain times of day.
Speaker 1: What do we think that might be?
Speaker 4: I love this, it's malaria, it's larious, probably, yeah.
Speaker 3: And one of the leading hypotheses for why these cyclic fevers exist is that the parasites match the circadian rhythm of their host or their mosquito vector for more likely transmission. Like is, do they go into the bloodstream at certain times a day so that that's when the mosquitoes are biting.
Speaker 4: It's really that's not malaria.
Speaker 1: It's horrible.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but they and the parasites are like going to be active at certain times to maximize transmission.
Speaker 1: That's I know, mind blowing evolution. Man, it's pretty cool.
Speaker 3: But for centuries, all of these observations remained just that observations. No one attempted to answer the question of why until them seventeen twenties, when a French scientist by the name of de Meran decided to take a closer look at a plant, specifically Mimosa pudica, which also goes by the adorable common name of sensitive plants or.
Speaker 1: Shy plant or shype so I used to call it.
Speaker 3: And anyone who is interacted with this plant can see where it got its nickname. When you touch its delicate leaves, they fold in on themselves like ah, don't touch me, and then a few minutes later they'll open back up, though they calm back down. But it turns out that the plants also do this folding and unfolding routine throughout the day, folding up at night.
Speaker 2: Day.
Speaker 3: Moron, observing this, thought to himself, what if the two words at the heart of every scientist, what if they aren't exposed to light?
Speaker 1: Then what happens?
Speaker 3: And so he plopped the plant into a dark cupboard and saw that it still opened and closed its leaves over that twenty four hour period.
Speaker 1: Wow, even in complete darkness.
Speaker 3: And so if light wasn't driving this pattern, what was In eighteen thirty two, about one hundred years after day Morn's experiments, Swiss botanist Augusta. Kendall took this question further, placing MOMSA plants under continuous light. Initially, the plants still show their daily leaf movements, but as the days went on, the candle watched as this pattern grew out of sync with day and night. Something internal, like an internal clock, perhaps it seemed to be driving these movements, governed by a cycle slightly shorter than a day, around twenty two hours compared to twenty four to Kandle's experiment was the first to demonstrate the concept of a free running rhythm, where an organism's internal clock is slightly longer or shorter than a full twenty four hour day, and in the absence of external cues, their rhythms will eventually decouple from that twenty four hour cycle and instead be guided by their internal ones humans, for instance, twenty.
Speaker 1: Four and twenty four hours then nine to eleven minutes.
Speaker 3: But, as it often goes Dick, Kendal's conclusion that organisms are guided by an internal clock as opposed to responding solely due to external stimuli was not immediately embraced.
Speaker 1: Shock imagine that.
Speaker 4: We learned something new and not everyone believes.
Speaker 3: The debate on whether these daily patterns were directed by internal or external forces continued basically up to the middle of the twentieth century, coinciding with the peak of the nature versus nurture debate, But while nature versus nurture seemed to be only increasing in contentiousness, research on rats, plants, birds, bees, even humans demonstrated clear evidence for an internal clock cut off from external cues. Mice and rats kept running on their wheel or sleeping right on schedule.
Speaker 1: Chickens who had been incubated at.
Speaker 3: Constant conditions still hatched with an innate biological rhythm. Bees demonstrated a keen sense of time and an ability to communicate that time.
Speaker 1: These are just an amazing example.
Speaker 4: Rhythms and flower time in really good I have to.
Speaker 3: Like schedule, like have a little schedule calendar for oh, ta this flower then, because that's when it's producing nectar.
Speaker 5: Right.
Speaker 4: They have it all in a little notebook.
Speaker 1: I just imagine getting there a little early and they're like, oh.
Speaker 3: My gosh, you'll wait, wait, this is where's the nectar?
Speaker 1: Yeah, got places to be. Next one opens in five.
Speaker 3: And humans turned out to be no exception to this, as a series of cave, Arctic and.
Speaker 1: Underground bunker experiments demonstrated.
Speaker 3: The first of these took place in nineteen thirty eight when physiologist Nathaniel Kleitman called his graduate student Bruce Richardson into his office one.
Speaker 1: Day this is how I imagining how it went, and.
Speaker 3: Said, hey, Bruce, can I interest you in an all expenses paid, thirty two day trip to Mammoth Cave, Kentucky where we'll hang out in a cavern and try to adjust our bodies to a twenty eight hour day. The nearby hotel will take care of our gourmet meals. You can bring whatever books you'd like.
Speaker 1: I've got a deck of cards to play bridge. It'll be great.
Speaker 4: One deck of cards, thirty two days.
Speaker 1: Yeah cool, Well that's all you need really really, but bridge, just bridge.
Speaker 4: I don't even know how to play bridge me either.
Speaker 1: Two conditions though.
Speaker 3: You've got to record your sleep movements and your temperature at regular intervals.
Speaker 1: Richardson said, yes, I mean, who wouldn't like I would do this? That sounds fun.
Speaker 4: I tried his advisor and he's like, well, I can't say no.
Speaker 1: That's true.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I tried to do it with ticks. Do you remember this.
Speaker 3: I was sampling in Panama and I tried to measure see if there was like a diurnal pattern of tick abundance. And then the rainy seasons a three am. Yeah, and I got rained out and I had.
Speaker 4: To leave and this is over.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 1: It was exhausting new experiment. Yeah, I never I never did it again though. Oh well, opportunities for the future. But while the scientific.
Speaker 3: Conclusions drawn from this end of two experiment just Kleiittman and.
Speaker 1: Richardson, they were a little vague, right.
Speaker 3: Richardson apparently readjusted to twenty eight hours, but Kleitmann did not. It made quite an impact on the budding field of chronobiology, drawing the attention of journalists who sketched a story of scientific adventure, as well as researchers who wanted to try it for themselves, like Michel Sifrey, who spent two months in a cave in the Italian Alps in nineteen sixty two, waking and sleeping when he felt like it. Ultimately, when he emerged, he was shocked to find that he had lost two weeks. He thought I'll just it'll be exactly where I think.
Speaker 1: But no, no, he lost two weeks because he's too long.
Speaker 3: And this work helped to incite interest into the study of circadian rhythms, and by the early nineteen sixties the field of chronobiology was born, with one of its leaders, Franz Hallberg, introducing the term circadian rhythm in nineteen fifty nine.
Speaker 1: Seems so recent, I know it is. I mean internal clock. I think was at least from the eighteen hundred. This this is the term rhythm more recent, Okay.
Speaker 3: Since then, researcher has examined the process of entreatment which you described, and I was thinking about zeit Gabers Again, apologies for the pronunciation as kind of like right now, how you're giving a talk and you think, oh, I'm right on time, I'm doing great, and then someone at the back holds up like a five minute warning and you're like, whoops, I'm only halfway through my presentation.
Speaker 1: I feel like that sign is a psyche Gaberah. It's a good analogy. I like it.
Speaker 3: Researchers have examined the mechanistic basis of how these external signals are received by the hypothalamist eyes, pineal gland, or by some other means. They've attempted to decipher the genetic basis of biological clocks, identifying clock genes and observing how these genes synchronize across our body to orchestrate broad physiological and behavioral changes during a.
Speaker 1: Twenty four hour period.
Speaker 3: They've done a lot, Yeah, a lot, and this research has been integral to understanding what drives the rhythms of our life, why they're important, and what happened when they're disrupted, which brings me toune dune.
Speaker 1: Dune shift work.
Speaker 3: Shift work has been around forever, or at least for thousands of years, standing guard, keeping the fire lit, watching over your flock of sheep, caring for the sick or wounded. The military and certain trades have long required irregular hours, like shipbuilders who had to work with the tides, or rope makers. I found a quote by a rope maker from seventeen forty two. We cannot make ropes when the sun shines. We begin at eight o'clock at night and work till eight in the morning, and sometimes we work all day if we can hold it. I don't know why I tried to look into it. And I even asked like blue Sky, and I got varied answers and some fun hypotheses. But if anyone knows or is an idea they have to work at night, please reach out, come find me. But until the late eighteen hundreds, shift work was a fairly uncommon occurrence. Then let there be light, specifically electrical life. In eighteen ninety two, just three years after the invention of the light bulb, the first power plant in New York opened, supplying continuous powder to those who could receive it. The effect on industry was immediate. Factories that had to shutter their doors shortly after the sunset, or who used lanterns or gas lights for overnight work, could now operate around the clock, bathe in the glow of artificial light. For the heads of industry, the benefits of around the clock operation were clear again, the word optimization comes to mind. Factories could be more efficient while maximizing production, and a twenty four hour workday broken down into shifts became the new norm for many industries, even those that had not previously required continuous labor. Shiftwork was not just something to give them a leg up, but it was becoming necessary to survive the competition. It was apparent that industry was enjoying an economic boom from this increased productivity.
Speaker 1: But how were workers faring in this brave, new, well lit world? Doing great? I'm sure doing wonderful.
Speaker 3: Interest in this question grew in earnest over the first couple decades of the twentieth century, and a new concept term industrial fatigue was introduced to describe the exhaustion caused by over exertion to long working hours and insufficient rest, often measured by a decline in productivity.
Speaker 1: About productivity, Aran, yeah, I mean so.
Speaker 3: Under this framework, human health was reimagined as or equated to the body's capacity for productivity. So, in other words, if you're sick, that means diminished output. If you're exhausted, that means more mistakes, which means diminished output. And this concern with worker health and productivity, especially when it came to industrial fatigue, led to the formation of committees such as the Health of Munition Workers Committee in Great Britain, who sought to get a sense of the scope of the problem. One thing became clear people working on night shift were especially prone to industrial fatigue. So I'm going to read you a quote from a nineteen eighteen report by the Health of Munition Workers Committee about night shift. The objections to night shift may be shortly summarized as follows. Number one, it is uneconomical, owing to the higher cost of wages, lighting and heating.
Speaker 1: Number two.
Speaker 3: Supervision at night is not always so good as by day, owing to less effective lighting or to the employment of fewer or less experienced foremen.
Speaker 1: Number three.
Speaker 3: The inferiority of lighting may make work, and especially fine work, more difficult. Number four. The workers may be unable to obtain adequate sleep by day. This may be the result of the dislocation of the ordinary habits of life, or of social causes e g. Noises and disturbances, or the care of children. Workers are tempted to curtail their period of sleep through rising to join the family midday meal, or to some recreation and enjoyment.
Speaker 1: Number five.
Speaker 3: Social intercourse, recreation and amusement may be seriously interfered with, and number six. Finally, it is not natural to turn the night into day and to deprive the body of the beneficial effects of sunlight.
Speaker 1: Not natural, not natural, not natural, not wrong.
Speaker 3: So as far back as nineteen eighteen people recognize the harm that night shift work could cause, But the next line in this report reveals the stark reality facing this kind of work.
Speaker 1: Under existing conditions.
Speaker 3: Night work at any rate for men and women is inevitable. And those existing conditions that are referenced in that happened to be World War One, and then they happened to be World War Two, and then night shift work and shift work in general stopped being discussed as something that was an exception to the rule and slowly became the rule, a normal part of many industries, from transportation to hospitality.
Speaker 1: To entertainment.
Speaker 3: Round the clock work became a fact of life. Many countries introduced pieces of legislature that limited the harsh working conditions, especially like long and irregular hours that had become so widespread during the late eighteenth and early nineteen hundreds, but shift work remained a staple of industry, growing in prevalence, particularly through the mid twentieth century. I can share a couple of old stats here if you please.
Speaker 4: Kind of stats.
Speaker 3: Okay, So these are from a nineteen eighty one symposium in France. Between nineteen fifty seven and nineteen seventy four, the percent of shift work across the workforce more than doubled, from ten point three percent.
Speaker 1: To twenty two percent.
Speaker 3: Wow, and in some industries that percentage shot up to fifty percent.
Speaker 1: Are over.
Speaker 3: In Great Britain, full time night work was estimated to increase by one percent every year from the end of World War II to the late nineteen seventies, which one percent doesn't sound like much.
Speaker 1: But I have Yeah.
Speaker 3: The bottom line is that over the course of the twentieth century, we've got more people than we ever have doing shift work. And accompanying this growth in shift work was heightened interest in its health effects on shift workers, as opposed to solely the effects that it had on accidents, injuries, or lost productivity. Partly driving this change in research interest was the growing field of chronobiology. While researchers were uncovering the physiological basis of the internal clocks that guide circadian rhythms, they were also exploring what could happen if or when those rhythms were disrupted purpose intentionally and as you might expect, this research held great interest to both industry as well as the military. Can a person ever truly adjust and switch from diurnal to nocturnal spoilers, not so much, not so much much? And if so, how long does that switch take and how easy is it to reverse it go back to normal?
Speaker 1: Can you switch? Is it every two weeks? Is it every three weeks? Is it a month? Can it be done? Can it be done?
Speaker 3: How do shift work alter physiology of different systems in the short term, and what are some potential implications for the long term.
Speaker 1: By the nineteen eighties and the.
Speaker 3: Nineteen nineties, some of these long term health effects of shift work were coming into focus. Digestion issues, which had long been recognized to be a part of shift work, cardiovascular disease, cancer immune system issues, diabetes, mood disorders, and a host of social and lifestyle risk factors emerged as possible consequences of shift work, or, more generally, a disrupted circadian rhythm and poor sleep. We have made great strides in our ability to evaluate the links between shift work, circadian rhythm, and health from epidemiological, physiological, genetic, psychological, and sociological perspectives.
Speaker 1: All the perspectives.
Speaker 3: We've also come a long way towards understanding how we can control those risks in the workplace. But as everyone in this room, everyone listening can attest we've still got some ways to go to put what we've learned into practice for sustained improvement and prevention. We've recognized the negative effects of shift work for over one hundred years since it became a feature of our everyday lives, and there are some brilliant minds working on innovative solutions to address and reduce the impact of circadian rhythm disruptions at both individual and systemic levels, and we are so excited to have with us here today one of those brilliant minds, Doctor Ian Dunican. Like doctor Eilef the provider of our first hand account, Doctor Ian Duncan is also originally from Ireland but moved to Perth where he completed his many degrees, including his PhD in Sleep and Performance, which he earned at the University of Western Australia. Doctor Dunicin is the director and Chief Advisor of Melia's Consulting, a scientific consultancy undertaking research consulting and education, and he also hosts an produces the Sleep for Performance podcast fellow podcaster. On top of all of that, Doctor Duncan is also an adjunct Senior Research Fellow at the University of Western Australia and is involved in numerous research projects related to sport, shift work, nutrition, safety, death and psychology. So please join me in welcoming doctor Duncan. Thanks so much for coming.
Speaker 4: We made this meme just for you.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so just first time I ever heard my name. I'm brilliant. Together, so we can retract afterwards, INDI da do where.
Speaker 1: We can cut.
Speaker 4: Thank you so much. We're really really excited to chat with you. We're going to just pepper you with questions ready. So, like Aaron kind of has described already, we've known for a really long time that work that disrupts circadian rhythms can be pretty detrimental to human health. So if we look first from a system's perspective, what measures can organizations or companies take to help reduce the impact of shift work.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's a good question. I think it's really important to take a systematic view. Many companies to just chase one thing and go ooh, let's get technology, let's look at rosters. So we always advocate a system view, and we have this paper that we published a couple of years ago in Safety and Health at Work, which has fourteen elements and it's very holistic. Some of those key elements of obviously include things like shifts and rosters, sleep disorders, which many people really don't focus on. I know you spoke about sleep happening earlier on. There's over seventy seven zero recognize disorders by the American Academy of Sleep Medicine that we follow here in Australia. But typically many companies just administer a questionnaire like the Airport Sleeping Scale, and I think that's an actual sleep disorder program when it's not, So we need to look more holistically there. Other components include educating our workforce and that's not just a few slides and induction, that's actually spending two to three hours, you know, like what you've done here today in more detail about how to manage shift work at a personal level around sleep path and diet, nutrition, commuting to work if travels involved as well. So these are just some of the elements that we would take in a system view as well. But another crucial aspect not to be overlooked is actually staffing, because if we don't have enough people to do the job, we're just going to lead to more and over time, more stress on the individuals and more rework, and so it's very important at the first level that we have the staff incorrect before we start trying to implement the system. And finally, on this point, you don't actually have to have a system that stands alone. That system could be integrated in your health, your safety, or other sort of systems there in a business, So it doesn't have to be a standalone or a newly constructed system. It may exist in other ones as well.
Speaker 4: Okay, that makes sense.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, And so maybe you're lucky enough to work at one of these places that does incorporate a more holistic view of sleep and shift work.
Speaker 1: Or maybe you're not.
Speaker 3: But what can anyone do at an individual level to kind of reduce the negative impacts of shift work?
Speaker 5: Yeah? I think at the individual level, I think you've done a really good job, say, highlighting some of the negative impacts. But what a lot of studies haven't done is look that what is the benefit of some of the interventions or case controlled studies where people are doing something going forward. The first thing I would say to anybody undertaking shift work is keeping your own physical fitness and mental health and check is number one. So you know, excessive alcohol consumption that we see excessive nicotine caffeins that we see in shift workers, we need to bring that back into normal tolerable levels. When we start increasing our body weight, that's going to lead to things like sleep with their breeding disorders, it's going to lead to more like generalized fatigue that you define that will start as well. So it's really important that your own physical fitness and mental health and well being is in checking and shape. And that's really key, I would say for individuals and also as well when you are away undertaking shift work, whether it's here in Western Australia elsewhere, like in the classic fly and flyout, is having a routine. And that routine doesn't mean going to the pub every night and having things. That routine may involves some exercise, connecting with other people, family and friends back home as well. So it needs to be holistic in nature as well.
Speaker 4: For the individual just being healthy.
Speaker 5: You mean, yes, which is difficult over twelve thirteen hour days, but you go to mag time. And I would say to people as well, don't think about going to the gym as a one or two hour exercise. Even fifteen to twenty minutes of high intensity exercise can be really good for you and.
Speaker 3: Just having that routine right there were just such a hard part to maintained.
Speaker 5: But it's recially.
Speaker 4: Important if you're on those rotating shifts or things like that. But that makes a lot of sense. Yeah, So a hot topic, hot button.
Speaker 1: Topic these days.
Speaker 4: Why we made you this meme is our screens, especially our personal devices, and especially the use of those at night. So I want to ask you what do we actually know about how much these devices are disrupting our sleep or disrupting our circadian rhythms and contributing to things like fatigue, and how much of it is the light or the things that we're doing with our devices.
Speaker 5: So do you want the scientific answer or do you want to clickbdswer.
Speaker 4: I don't any more answers that I want.
Speaker 5: Because I don't give you a klick answer. It's really interesting because we did discuss this a few weeks ago. However, over the last few days there has been a bill introduced in Australia to band social media. Why yes, so this was past their day. I believe I'm not getting into politics and good that's as far as I'll going. So if we look at electronic device use and its impact on sleep. There's two ways of looking at this. One is the subjective evidence, how do people report their feel with electrinic devices? And two is the objective evidence. What's happening in laboratories with polysymnography, what's happening with actigraphy of risk warned devices. The subjective stuff is saying, Ooh, this is really impacted my sleep. The objective stuff is saying it's not. So. The science and the data and the quantitative method actually is showing very little of how it's out there. We're currently undertaking a systematic review in a meta analysis a few scientists around that from around the world. Russell Foster, who you may know who actually discovered the SCN he's on that paper with us as well. And so what we're finding so far self reported stuff, very influenced I think by the media and the general population. I've ran two studies and athletes no impact onto sleep. However, there's three mechanisms how they're trying devices may be impact on sleep. One is the light emitting from these devices that could be TV, iPad, social media, could be anything or gaming. Two, the nature or the stimulate and activity. And many of us in this room do this we get home, put the kids to bed, do or exercise whatever it might be, and then we go, oh, a bit of me time. I put on Netflix, open up my laptop, do some me melts. I check Instagram as well while I'm having a glass wine and healthy dark chocolate. And it's always like stimulation plus alcohol plus caffeine, and then you wonder why you can't sleep.
Speaker 1: A single explanation there, and as.
Speaker 5: You've explained in your in your reviewerer on is in the in the graph is when court sool is high, melatonin can't be released. So we're doing all the stimulate and activity, we cannot release melatonin or it delays the time of melatonin. And but also what artificial light may have that impact, as we said, and the final thing is that we're replacing sleep time with other times. See example is I'll just watch one more and tonight Yellowstone as that as well. But the bad part about Yellowstone at the moment, which is also good, is there's not one more episode because it comes out weekly.
Speaker 1: That's the trick. That's why streaming services.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so that's what we can actually blame is Netflix.
Speaker 5: Yeah, no, we can't blame Netflix. Yeah, it's on stand here in Australia anyway. So that's why I'm wearing my Ora William's boots and belt today. And for Yellowstone I was going to my wife said no, I recently bought my scuba So it's it's those three mechanisms, delight the type of activity and then replacing sleep time. But so far we are not seeing at the finite of link. A couple of weeks ago we had the Australasian Sleep Association conference in the Gold Coast and even a massive study looking at body motion cameras with kids, no results, no impact on sleep.
Speaker 4: Wow, it's so interesting because all of the like recommendations are still like no screen time one hour two hours before bed, even like all the sleep you know, organizations still like recommend that blanket statement, which is so interesting but.
Speaker 5: It's not definitive. But I would say the people is, if you're having troubled sleeping, shift work disorder, sleep on set, insomnia and trouble winding down, eliminate that activity before bed. Yeah, lessen that light and just basically use that time to basically just wind down and candown, which probably leads into the recommendations on light yep, yeah, exact this is something that we're really saying.
Speaker 4: Now, Yeah, that makes a lot of sense.
Speaker 1: That makes a lot of sense.
Speaker 3: And so this may or may not be a question of personal interest, seeing as we just traveled across nine and ten times a.
Speaker 1: Million time zones. That is what it feels like sometimes.
Speaker 3: But what can we do to minimize or escape the effects of jet lag?
Speaker 1: Like, are there any are there any tips or tricks?
Speaker 3: Or are we all just doomed to be sleep deprived and brain fog and groggy when we cross more than a couple of time zones?
Speaker 5: Yeah? You you really are. But you can't lessen to that. You can you can? Yeah, the answer is yes, you're going to be. You're going to be impacted by jet lag. There's no escape now, there is no biohack. Regardless of who you listen to on a podcast. You cannot buy a hackle a jet like. And then people go who happened years ago? And people came to Australia, they came on a slow moving shit it's UK six weeks so slowly or justice. But now we have this rapid transmittitian travel which leads to jet like. So you can do some preadaptation like with shift work, but a lot of people can't do that because they're trying to work before they go. And then you've got to really kind of use rapid adaption when you get there, and going east and west will have different effects like switching from days to nights or nights to days and shift work, and so there's many things you can do. The number one thing I would say is light. Light is key. So for you two here today trying to get over jet like this is the worst environment you come be in. Nice and dark. Nice include artificial light, no Zeitgerber's no time givers. It's a bit like a casino, and that's what they do when a casino, they use all those things against you to keep you in there.
Speaker 4: What's going on?
Speaker 5: And now at twelveth midnight that we are now, we've got no idea what time it is, and so that's that's what's happening there as well. But with that, I would say people trying to overcome jet light is light and natural light as key. So today I would recommend as much natural light as possible. That's the number one mechanism you can do. So you need to get and go straight because you sign get some fresh air and get some movement.
Speaker 4: Oh, I love it. We have one last question for you. It seems like a very exciting time to be working in these fields in coronibiology and sleep science. What are you most excited about or most hopeful for in the future of this field of research.
Speaker 5: I think some of the most interesting research is coming out of Flinders University and Adelette at the moment, and it's looking at light. Now. I'm separating the word light from social media and I'm looking at the impact of light on our health. Like you spoke about artificial light, people working a nighttime and so on, Sean Ken, Andrew Phillips, Angus Burns, some of those guys there are doing some really interesting work around the long term impact of light, and you're using the UK Biobank data to show the impact on cardiovascular disease, mortality, all of these things as well. And as you said earlier on, in this in this research space, still lots to do. But we know that so far at less than three percent of people can fully adapt to permanent night shift. And that's very very few people, but most people think they can. So you cannot buy or hack your way out of this. There is no free ride and you've really displayed that today. So what I would say is that the sort of the light and this science is really key going forward. And the final part is I think using individual sleep tracking metrics is really key for the future because we have to individualize this, and we're starting to look at individualizing light as well, because people have different sensitivities to like some people can be in a brightly lit room go straight to sleep, other people can. So looking at more an individual level of sleep and weight patterns and individual light sensitivity as well as the next phase I think we're going to get into that's fascinating.
Speaker 3: I now have a million more questions. Yeah, but I know that we do have to wrap this up.
Speaker 1: So thank you so much for sharing your expertise with us today. That was super fun.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we were really excited if everyone here also got really stoked about this and wants to learn a lot more about circadian rhythms about shift work. We have a very long list of the sources that we used to put together this episode.
Speaker 1: There's another page. There's a lot just come and find us.
Speaker 3: So yeah, and I've got a ton of sources for this, but we always shout out just a couple that we want to specifically highlight, so two in particular. One is a book by Russell Foster and Leon Kreutzman titled Circadian Rhythms, a very short introduction published in twenty seventeen, and on the history of shift work side of things, there was a great nineteen eighty six paper by Gordon at All titled the Prevalence and Health Impact of Shift Work from the American Journal of Public Health.
Speaker 4: And then I also had a number of sources a couple really great overview papers about circadian rhythm that I loved. One was from the Lancet twenty twenty two by Meyer had All titled Circadian Rhythms and Disorders of the Timing of Sleep, and that was part of a four part series that was also really really great. And then another one from the New England Journal of Medicine by Eleda and Bass in twenty twenty one, Circadian Rhythms in Medicine. But we had a lot. We always post them on our website, This podcast will Kill You dot com. Under the episodes tab, you'll be able to find this list of all of our sources.
Speaker 1: I was going to say, please and your session.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, I just released a book today for pre order on and it's called Thank You very Much. It's a ghostwriter and it's called a Guide for Sleep, Health and Shipwork.
Speaker 1: I love it and it's got over two.
Speaker 5: Hundred and forty references in it and as designed for people doing shift work organizing sleep and shift work patterns. It's available for pre order, it's up on LinkedIn, It's on our website Mellia's Consulting. Fantastic over there and do it. And tomorrow we have a Fatigue Management symposium from Holt Past one to Holt Past two and we'll be delving more into this with five session, five speakers in that session.
Speaker 4: Excellent, that's going to be great.
Speaker 3: Thank you well, and a big thank you again to doctor Ilf and also you doctor Dunikan for sharing experience and expertise with us.
Speaker 1: We really appreciate it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and thank you again to Zach Bentley, Kelly Piper's, David Lowry and everybody body else here at AI Oh. I can't say it, I know, and I say the H wrong.
Speaker 1: I know.
Speaker 4: No, Thank you everyone for inviting us and for organizing this conference.
Speaker 1: We're really really excited to be.
Speaker 3: Here and we've got a couple more of our usual outro episode thank yous, which is thank you to Bloodmobile for providing the music for this episode and all of our episodes.
Speaker 1: Thank you to Leona.
Speaker 3: Sculacchi and Tom Bryfocal for their amazing audio mixing. Thank you to everyone at Exactly Right, and a huge thank you to our amazing listeners, including everyone here today. Thank you, thank you, thank you, and until next time, wash your hands, you filthy animals.
Speaker 1: I've never send that to people in real life. Sorry.
Speaker 6: Oh um um
Speaker 4: Uh