Speaker 1: On today's episode of the Command Center Podcast, we review every single draft pick and talk about how we feel with a p and Dan Quinn working together and seeing the results, sticking to their board and it was great stuff. And then we give draft grades to everybody in our division.
Speaker 2: El Cowboys, El Philly, El Giants, if one are the actual grades. Stay tuned to find out. It all starts right out.
Speaker 1: Welcome into the Command Center Podcast, Eye Logan Paulson here with Fred Smoot and Santana Moss and we got a great show today. We're gonna tea. We're gonna review all the draft picks, every single of them. We're gonna review drafts within the division, give them grades.
Speaker 2: You know, Cowboys probably gonna get a D. I haven't even seen their draft yet, be d probably the first things first, let's talk about what I got on man?
Speaker 3: You got me on your chase good, I know, right over your heart.
Speaker 2: Kind of a bummer. I kind of wish I could just do like one of those guys.
Speaker 1: Well, we got merch down, we got merch and we got this shirt and we got that hawk out side hawk outs that and these are exclusive shirts. You can only get them at live events. Yes, so if you want a shirt, there's no place to order him. You got to come to our live event Jason that we're gonna be doing, and then any other thing that Fred's at because apparently the producer gave or our boss gave you like a bunch of shirts.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, post damn. So you can see me around in the DMV.
Speaker 4: Just asked me for a shirt, I'll pull one out of my back pocket.
Speaker 2: Perfect only three huh.
Speaker 1: But in addition to the shirts, we also have a great lineup of content. Yeah, your show Get Loud, which I was on YouTube. It's you and Michael Jenkins, and you had Tom Lougan Bill.
Speaker 2: Yes, I said, all right, right Lougan Bill.
Speaker 1: He's a reporter from ESPN National Recruiting director and he is so good. He has followed Jaden, like I guess since he was like since in high school all the way through, so he probably had great insight.
Speaker 3: He had great insight on where he's came from.
Speaker 4: And it hit me out a lot to know what he's got started and what he's got made into and like he said, him getting better year in the year out.
Speaker 3: Difference in him.
Speaker 1: You know, I don't like to listen to you anytime I'm not at work, so I might actually have to listen to that.
Speaker 3: Please do, please do?
Speaker 1: All right, Then we got the Ticket to the Draft podcast, which is on Spotify and Apple Podcasts, and that's that. We've done an instant reaction the first and second round, second and third round picks. Right, are we gonna do another one, Jason? Or are we done? We're done? That's it. Make sure you check those out. And then we got an exclusive interview with Dayton, with Jayden and Daniels. That's on YouTube. And is that just on the regular YouTube channel?
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 1: And we got command Center, which is our flagship program, and we do a complete breakdown of the draft. It's our flagship show. It's like Sports Center, but just for the Commanders only US, Yeah, only US. And then we got Free Agent Fridays, which is another show, great show, and this week it's Bobby Wagner answering fan questions. So that sounds like a great line up of content. If you're a Commanders fan and you're not watching this, I don't know what you're doing.
Speaker 3: Just googage on it.
Speaker 2: Just come on over there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right, now, let's talk about it the draft.
Speaker 2: Yes, what happened.
Speaker 1: It was so good and it was the first time we got to see Dan and HadAM working together. Yeah and so yeah, I wanted to get your thoughts on that. Let's start with Freddie always start. We can start right now.
Speaker 2: Do I storry?
Speaker 3: You know what I got from this draft?
Speaker 4: They showed me what the identity of the team is gonna be in the future. I looked at most of these draft picks, and I think besides Johnny knew that none of these guys was like five star athletes coming out.
Speaker 3: These guys built themselves in college.
Speaker 4: They got better year in and year out, and then some guys just stick out like should not being sat. This guy is a tight end full back hybrid reminds me of hughes Check a lot like he's a guy, he's a tone setter like and he was the only one of him in this draft. All the other tight ends were just preord tight ends. He was the only guy up this ILK in his draft and Mike Sanders skrill I've been smiling in my sleep.
Speaker 3: Ever since we drafted this guy.
Speaker 4: And like I told Tannel, we were talking about it. X. I love Coners that played wide out. We have a whole different view of the game. And then you throw a guy like Luke McCaffrey and they play quarterback, running back.
Speaker 3: Wide receiver.
Speaker 4: I think what they did in this draft gonna gonna have good effects on.
Speaker 3: This team for the next four or five years.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we'll talk more about the specific guys in a minute, but like you know, it's it's the first time we get to see Dan and hout of working together, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 3: I mean, it was great watching.
Speaker 5: I mean especially you know, we was live right there, right there in the trenches in Detroit, and it was funny because you know, we were screaming men be miskept, you know, talking to you you know, to each other about just the needs of having that office to tackle, you know what I mean. And one day we was gonna pull the trigger, and we was all hoping that we kind of you know, that first night we stayed there because even though we picked, we had our pick at two.
Speaker 3: Ye we stayed the whole entire draft just.
Speaker 5: Hoping that maybe they're you know, back in you know, get back in the first round.
Speaker 3: And when it wasn't done.
Speaker 5: You know, I was a bitter taste, but at the same time, like, these guys know what they're doing. They not reaching, just they gotta And I think we get so used to just being on these being in a part of this organization and seeing us reach, seeing us go out there and get.
Speaker 3: That big name and spend that big money on them.
Speaker 5: Just because everybody said that that's what we're supposed to get. So when you really look at the draft as a whole, man, these guys really strategically set there man, and and pick the guy that fits the mode of player that they looking for, cadibor player that they're looking for. And when I watched that, those guys highlights and I'm like, wow, that's football. That's what they want here. That's what they want. Guys to be physical, they want guys to fly around. And you said it jokingly, saying it, Hey, it's gonna be tough making this squad because they got ball players here. So you know, it was great, man, just to sit back and hear the nations and you know, the people outside of here talk about how how impressed they was of some of the guys that we picked up, and just how things are being you know, orchestrated around here.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I also thought it was like cool, like from a like just logistical standpoint. You know, obviously the product picks that they made were great and their process was great, you know, like trying to get into the first round, they don't do it. They're not going to overspend all that kind of stuff that trade with Philly. We'll talk about that more detail a second. But you know, in the post day draft stuff, it's Adam doing the presser right because it's Adam's show, you know what I'm saying. But it never feels like Adam is like hellon yeah, right, Like when Dan comes and talks to us, like we did an interview with him. You can check that out on the Commander's YouTube page. Also, he's very like of the same messaging. You can tell they're on the same page. Even though Adam is like buying the groceries, like you like to say, Fred, it's fitting with Dan's vision. And I look at this list and I see a lot of guys that I would identify, you know, like when you play for a coach, you're like.
Speaker 2: That is a Dan guy, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: I go look at Dominique Hampton in the fifth round, and like there could not be more of a Dan pick. So obviously Adam is able to say this is where the talent is. Like you're saying, Tanna, we're not going to reach on stuff. But I'm also understanding what the coach wants in terms of the players that I'm selecting, and I think there's something really cool about that in the first draft, you know what I'm saying, like as a foundational piece. The other thing I just wanted to call attention to, and You've talked about this a little bit already, Fred is like, I think they're good football players, all these guys, but I think they have higher football character. And what I mean about that is like when you watch every single every one of these guys, there's no exception on film. They are pouring it out. There are a lot of captains on this list. And I just think like, in terms of laying a foundation, obviously Adam, obviously Dan had a vision basically saying we want we don't want to be taking risks on crazy talented people. We want football players that are passionate and love football and high football IQ. Yeah, you know, and I'm with that, and so I think like that to me was something that I took out of This was basically saying like they there might have been more talented players available, but not more talented players that fit the vision, right, which.
Speaker 2: Is what you need. Competitive tough sons of guns.
Speaker 1: And in terms of a foundational piece, I look at all these guys and they might never become like stars, some of them, but they're all going to be good pro and you.
Speaker 2: Know that already.
Speaker 3: That's the thing about it.
Speaker 4: You know, you know where the floor is with these guys, and I think they weren't really worried about the ceiling. I think they said, we're not going underneath this floor type of player. And I think that's where this stuff come in because everybody like tackle, tackle, tackle.
Speaker 3: Then when I go.
Speaker 4: Back and study Brandon Coleman, Yeah, fifteen hundred snaps, three sacks, three sacks, Yeah, three sacks, fifty five pressures, that's a lot of football. And then his reach, they people understand he got the reach of a seven foot.
Speaker 2: Of thirty five in Yes, So that is crazy.
Speaker 4: And I'm not saying he ain't, no, he Trent William or nothing like this, but if you look at the athletics score, oh, it's right there.
Speaker 3: And that's saying a lot because we know how I let it trendy is and I.
Speaker 1: Think, you know, we're talking about Brennan Coleman, real quick, tanna before we get going.
Speaker 2: Is.
Speaker 1: One of the things about him that I love is that, you know, he played a little bit more guard in twenty twenty three, but in twenty twenty two he almost played exclusively tackle. Yeah, I feel like they kind of had him on the radar as a tackle. And then when you look at the pre draft process, like everyone, every single outlet, every the Senior Bowl, he had him a guard and so but I think it just shows the comprehensive nature which with they went through this process. They said, here's the guy that played left tackle for TCU, won the national championship, right, and they throw a lot and he was the guy and he's so he's on our radar. And then we look at his athletic profile, his physical profile. Yeah, thirty five inch arms around a four nine forty, had a thirty four inch vertical. He did great in the three cone of the pro agility and you say, those are not garden measurables, those are the tackles and you go watch the film and again, I just love that they went this level of detail, and you watch him set the pass rush it is locked in. Yeah, like he's not he's not opening the gate. He understands his angle, he's not over setting, and he's got this thick, very powerful lower half. Yeah, he does, and he can sit that stuff down. So you know, like there's guys like DJ Humphries in Arizona that guard like that prototypical tackle build but are very successful because they got good feet, they got goold length, and they understand the angle. And he does all three of those things. Now just about can he do that at the next level?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: And can't he do it over and over and over again?
Speaker 1: No.
Speaker 5: I was impressed, man. And you know one of the things about us, we're not trying to jump the gun. No, we want to We want to really want to paint the picture of you know, these guys went out there and really got some good football players.
Speaker 3: And it showed up. You know.
Speaker 5: One of the things too, that be mis talked a lot about, you know, hearing people talking about y'all watch FAMI or highlights most of the stuff that we've seen leading up to the Dravions highlights, But when you really go dive deep and watch these guys play football. It speaks about what we've already heard from these guys sitting in these seats talking about the guys they want on this team. And that's and that's what it makes you smile when you really watch it and say, hmm, okay, I see what they trying.
Speaker 3: I see the mold they're trying to build here.
Speaker 4: And like I said, I think at least for these guys are team captains.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Uh, I know, Sanders scrill team captain on the National Championship defense. So at the end of the day, they bring it in guys that not only do they do they part on the footb field, but they do they put out the field leaders leaders man.
Speaker 1: So let's just talk about the first three picks real quick, because I think that's really interesting. Obviously Jay and Daniels and we got Johnny Newton.
Speaker 2: JA.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't even know why I try to say, let's stay with Johnny Johnny Newton and then uh, Mike Sanders.
Speaker 2: Still, let's talk about those three guys real quick. I'll start it off. So, first off, you.
Speaker 1: Know, we've talked about Jayden and like nauseum right, was definitely Johnny Newton. I had a first round grade on and my and my board doesn't mean anything.
Speaker 3: Everybody had a first round great, let's be serious.
Speaker 1: And so the fact he's there and then they went best player available to you talked about this like not just say hey man, trust trust the process. We need to get more talented on the football team. So let's get a talented football player. And then Mike Sanders still who's maybe pound for pound, the best player.
Speaker 2: In the draft, like Nick Sagan said it, and like the.
Speaker 1: Idea that you know, we already have a Buffalo Nickel or a Nickel type player, and Kwan like, let's just get more talented. Yeah, I think I think these first three picks show that.
Speaker 3: No, it was great.
Speaker 5: And then just speaking of Johnny Newton, you know, talking about a key that everybody. I mean, he had the first round greatest junior year. You know, he had a first round grade that year, and then last year he went out there dominated again. But folks are speculating saying, hey, maybe because of the injury to his foot made him drop.
Speaker 3: Who knows, who cares?
Speaker 5: I mean, for him to be sitting there and we went out there and attacked him. I was just surprised, when you know, Jason said his name. I'm sitting there like, hold on, Illinoise, he's still around. Jason said his name twice to me, and it then't dawn on me that who he.
Speaker 3: Was talking to dominating. So I'm like, how's he still around? The second round?
Speaker 5: You know, I had no clue, and when we grabbed him, I'm like, that is incredible because just knowing what we already have, knowing how we do things, knowing now let's take another look at it, knowing who we have now is the decordinator, how they do things with their guys. Maybe we don't have to worry about him playing as much as he played in college.
Speaker 3: He can be a.
Speaker 5: Guy that just brought in the game just to go after the quarterback because he did that so well in college. So it was just some of those things that stood out to me. And then not to just you know, spend that much time on him. You know what his name is, Mike Sender. Still, you know, I hate missing up names and I'll do it a lot still, just hey, when you watch Michigan and you saw that secondary that that zero always stood always, it always stood out. And then just to hear a kid that say, hey, I only been playing dB for two years, so the.
Speaker 3: Sky's the limit for me and the Skouy's the limit for me.
Speaker 5: And just knowing a little bit about that, having the background of being the dB first player receiver, knowing how that kind of correlated, knowing how as a receiver, I used to know what DB's thinking because I've been to dB. It just it pays dividends to see why is paying dividends for him to.
Speaker 3: Be back in the position.
Speaker 5: So, like I said before, man, like those two guys we can talk about you know, Jaydon Da Daniels all day. Those two guys, Man, it was like, damn, we got the best of the best at the best time. So you know, that's what makes you just sit there and have you know, so much confidence in knowing who's at the him, you know, going out there, like you say, buying our groceries.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: And the thing about it is people forget that he returns punch too, so he does. He can add to your special team. He has to defense. And people like, how you gonna take a nickelback. No, he's a football player. He just happened to excel in the inside. So but listen, he's one of those guys. I wouldn't have passed up. I would have had to grab him at that point. And when I saw us grab Johnny Nude, I said, then I say every pick from now on his best player available. Like I was like, they're not really finna go chasing me. They finish, go best play available, Like tanna say, I'm finna add talent to my team.
Speaker 3: Keep piling the stock file in it and when we ready to explode, we'll be ready.
Speaker 5: We were sitting there and I ain't want to I ain't gonna I want to say this before you started. We were sitting there talking about what you think next, and you know, we rolling the dice. We don't, we have no clue, and it probably wasn't in the order, but it was landing, you know what I mean. Was like, well, we can get a receiver now, and it probably wasn't that pick, but with the next pick, we gotta receive, you know what I mean. So it was just it was just kind of funny to us just knowing that, hey, these are the value, these are the ass that you can add value to our team. That we went out because I wanted the bigger receiver I wanted, and you know, Hey, you know, he's six tow he's not probably as big as some of the guys that was a receivement.
Speaker 3: He's a big receiver on the team already. So it's just great.
Speaker 5: And came from a good football pedigree, you see what I'm saying, Like his his his his legacy when it comes from dad to brothers, you know, it's all in his blood. So it's just great to see how they was picking our little you know what I mean, going out there and say, hey, this is this guy here, his background along speaks for himself, but this is the kind of player we won't want dogs. He kept saying dogs, and you can kind of put that by every guy's name, that these guys have that in him.
Speaker 1: Yeah, let's get to the next group. So it's Ben Snatt, Randon Coleman, and Luke mccaffee, right, a nickname. Those are kind of the offensive weapons. I guess you can say that if we're calling that offensive tackle up in there too. But you've fred you already talked about Ben Snatt in terms of his versatility, his toughness, his ability to run routes, and again the cow It's so funny, like when I watched Kansas State.
Speaker 2: He's the he's the offense, but he led to him in everything.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's the offense, by the way, But I had this strongest, like these strongest Kyle.
Speaker 2: Used check vibes when I watched him. Yes, I think it's because he wears number thirty four, looks like a full back.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he got this.
Speaker 1: But he's a good enough athlete to win versus man. He's physical enough to block as a full back, and he can block in line. He just gives you a lot of flexibility, which is what the tight end position is supposed to do.
Speaker 5: I was listening to one of his interviews and he spoke and said a tight end and he watched was Cooley growing up?
Speaker 2: Oh really? They play Simar so.
Speaker 5: They hear that and he come here. I'm like, well, I just crazy how this stuff kind of adds up, you know what I mean. But to watch him, I mean it, you know, I smiled just to know, I say, oh, Ap in his bag. He going to get those same guys that he's seen that that made it happen, be of the night, know where he came from, you know what I mean? And you want that around because these offenses you talk about it all the time. You want to be able to have a guy out there on the field that you know, at times we saw what we had at tight end, and you know, don't take nothing away from him. I think though all those guys did a great job. But you hate kind of I guess you can say showing your hand. Yeah, having a guy then you're like, oh, they running the ball, they're passing the ball. Now you get a guy we cannot read and say, oh, I'm getting out of this all right, you spread out nine. You know, this guy could be in the backfield, he could be on the back field, he could beat on the wing, he can be anywhere in your offense, and the defense can't really you know, uh basically show their hand.
Speaker 2: They have to.
Speaker 3: They have to sit there and and be wise enough.
Speaker 5: So it's great to know that we add in that kind of talent that we can be able to, you know, have that kind of leverage.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I'm really glad you said that, TENN because I think Luke McCaffrey does the same thing as a receiver. Like you look at Greg Jennings up in San Francisco, right, He's like this big slot and what is a big what is if everyone throws that turn around, right, you know, pookin Akua is a big slot right, It's a guy that can play slot receiver, run the receiver route tree. But you feel comfortable with him, like cracking a defensive end. Yes, cut somebody out, like they run ISO with Pokakua on linebacker.
Speaker 2: Because because he's tough, he's he's he's dog tough, right.
Speaker 1: And I think when you watch Christian McCaffrey, you get that so much like Bensonatt. You can't adapt to it. It's like we're gonna match Nicol. It's like, great, I got this guy McCaffrey. He's gonna play his chin shop right in your chin.
Speaker 3: And I saw his helmet off like on five highlight.
Speaker 5: I'm like, this new hemmet doesn't stay on, but he's making a place.
Speaker 3: I love it, man.
Speaker 4: I love an interview he interviewed yesterday with Grant and Danny, and I was just blown away by kid.
Speaker 3: And the thing about it is like.
Speaker 4: He said, I've only been playing wide receiving two years. At the theme of his group.
Speaker 3: He like, I only have been playing wide receiver two years, but.
Speaker 4: If they put me in a game, I could play quarterback. Running back, wide receiver. I can play inside, I can play outside. I can do whatever you need me to do. And his short shuttle, I think he got the fastest short shuttle second fast seconds in the last what ten to fifteen years.
Speaker 3: So the athletic profile.
Speaker 4: Is there and with these guys, and that's the scary boy, He's only gonna get better.
Speaker 1: Also, like to your point, you're always talking about returners, like, I think he could return kicks return because he's got that really linear downhill almost a running back running style, So I definitely think he could do that. But again, his floor is high because of what Tanna said with the degree. His ceiling's high because of what Fred said in terms of goal. He's played for two years. And it's the same thing with Mike sanderstill. So to get a guy with a really hot two guys yea incredibly high floors and also ceilings that are just going to keep moving up, I think it's really special. We talked about Brandon Coleman, how I actually think after watching twenty twenty two, So if you got time google TCU Offensive Line versus two in twenty twenty two, you'll see what I'm talking about.
Speaker 3: Throwing that ball around a lot while I know he was backing out.
Speaker 5: You know, you had to put that fat flat back and hands, you know somebody.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and I love a cowboy colge dude. I mean, I think I only one that he failed the stats.
Speaker 2: Honestly, I think that's why I had him as a guard if he didn't have that.
Speaker 1: Like it's so funny how that like thirty Like you know, for example, bensonat where's number thirty four, I'm like, oh, he's a full back. Yeah, but like you know, he's built like a type. And then Brandon Coleman has the thing on the negar. It's not even a neck, it's a it's a cowboy.
Speaker 3: It's like the cowboy.
Speaker 2: It's the board.
Speaker 1: So imagine those high school linebackers with that board on. That's what he's wearing all the time. And I'm like, oh, this dude's a guard because that's what guards were. But so your your drip does matter when it comes to evaluate. But yeah, but I think he could do it. And again he's got to handle the length and the speed of NFL edge rushers. But there was enough there to say, all right, maybe I was off in terms of the guard and if he doesn't work out. We talked about this when we did our our safe picks for the Ticket of the Draft podcast. Offensive linemen are always safe because if you think he can play left tackle and it doesn't work out, movement to guard and you get.
Speaker 2: A nice value pick there.
Speaker 1: So I think all high floor guys, all high football character guy.
Speaker 3: Mcge don't forget about it.
Speaker 2: Let's talk about these guys the last three.
Speaker 1: So these guys are fun to talk about because they're a little bit they're like kind of like the like the roll of the dice a little bit, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: So we got so we got.
Speaker 1: Jordan McGee from Temple. We got Dominie Campton from you Dub. We got Javonte Jean Baptiste Baptiste from Notre Dame formerly by way of Ohio State. So, Fred, I know you've watched some of these guys.
Speaker 3: Hey, Jordan McGee, All right, let me tell you some He's a lambbecker.
Speaker 4: I always like lamberk and he wore a yeah.
Speaker 2: So that's like a big deal at Temple.
Speaker 4: Right, he comes downhill with bad intentions. He's I could tell it, intellectual middle linebacker. He got that London Fletcher and he's lining people up and he's he knows how to manipulate a game, and it shocked me how well he covered.
Speaker 1: Like that's I was so glad you brought that up. So glad he brought that up because he's because like that. Sorry, like I cut you off. But when you're watching linebackers, one of the things like Jeremiah Trotter, We're gonna talk about him a little bit. You watch him from Clemson, very instinctive, smart, got the pedigree, does not cover in Clemson's defense. So I'm always looking because NFL linebackers, you better better man recover.
Speaker 2: When you get this guy in the fifth round.
Speaker 1: Who's got the running hit ability, the coverage ability, I'm like, this is great value, great leader, plays hard.
Speaker 2: I think the one thing is he's a little little undersized.
Speaker 3: Stakes and weights ex weights.
Speaker 4: This what's gonna get him didn't be decided and he's that perfect understudy behind Wagner And we just talked about it.
Speaker 3: It's another team captain. He's another team captain.
Speaker 5: And that's a great and he could be done it on special teams early, you know what I mean. I mean, you know they have that new kickoff rule and stuff like that. You need guy, you need more linebackers, is probably going to be able to you know, make it out a little better in this style of you know, kickoff team. So I just I'm just I'm just thrilled that we went from a year ago talking my lineback and position and now we just outlined back from free agency to the draft.
Speaker 3: Man, we just can't miss right now.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but this is the type of guy that I think is the modern linebacker. When you look at like.
Speaker 2: Fred Warner, for example, he played like a pseudo safety. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Put on a little bit of weight, yeah, has those coverage instincts, can play the run. He's six ' three, very similar to Wagner or Warner, excuse me. And he's about two hundred and twenty five pounds, so another ten pounds, a couple of akes in white, a couple of block destruction techniques.
Speaker 2: I'm not saying they're the same.
Speaker 3: He don't need this buck weeks, but I get you.
Speaker 2: I think the ceilings there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, dom I don't know if you guys watched Dominic Hampton from dub Yeah, but he is a fun guy to watch just because he's like and we talked about Johnny Wilson being freaky and have crazy miserables. This guy's six three two fifteen played safety, has thirty four and a half inch arms, as you know, Fred, Yes, that's very very long.
Speaker 2: Yeah, ran a four or five. I think he had a forty inch vertical.
Speaker 1: So in terms of athletic traits, yeah, there, it's there. I mean he's a little stiff playing safety. But I look at what Dan and what Wink want to do, and they have curse.
Speaker 4: I can say what they did with curse, and they always find it. This site the safety lineback of hybrid. They like to bring him on Blitz's. They like to match him up on tight ends. So you look at these guys say, oh yeah, he's he's gonna be good to match up with any tall tight end.
Speaker 3: It separates from the core what's his name?
Speaker 4: Like, he's one of those guys where you find a package for him, like this is that type dude.
Speaker 1: He reminds me a little bit of like a uh this is not a slight against cam Crow, but like a more athletic, like a more twitched twitch. Like again, I don't know if he's that instinctive Cam Croll was crazy instinctive but more twitched up, like longer, bigger version, like he's a freak. Yeah, and like that's why he's going to the fifth And it's like one of those players. Man, Like when I was doing film evaluation, you come across Dominickhampton, You're like, that is a dan Quinn football player.
Speaker 2: So like the fact that he's here is really funny. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Then we got Javonte Jean Baptiste, who again falls to this bucket of like crazy traitsy players, right, thirty five inch arms, Yeah, he's six fives, he's two thirty. Like when you when you say, let me draw up traits for an edge rusher, Yeah, he's got all of them. He's a seventh round pick, got to develop a little bit. But you say, as a guy who could like this is like we were talking about talking about the Jason on tick of the Draft podcast, in these rounds you want to take shots.
Speaker 2: This is a shot.
Speaker 1: Yes, the guy with a lot of traits, a lot of athletic upside, And you say, we got him win the right defensive system because of these measurables.
Speaker 3: We're going to get him a chain development.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I love it. I love it.
Speaker 5: And then when you just think about it, think about the years of having guys on your team that been free agent guys, you know, guys that still made the squad because they was putting the situation that you ain't gotta play every day. We're gonna bring you in and do what you do best. That's what I see with him. That's the first thing I thought about saying, Hey, you know, he's one of them. Like I said, he's one of those guys. You look at him, say, all right, I see what they see. But guess what, We're not asking you to come in here.
Speaker 3: And be now, light a round. We used to come in here, rus.
Speaker 5: We're gonna we're gonna have certain packages where we when we put you in the game, let that dog eat, let them go hunt, you know what I mean, paying them ears back. So, like you say, the trace alone is like eye popping, you know what I mean. I'm sitting there looking at this guy. Man, this dude's a huge guy. But with the style of football and the way they play here, yeah, oh, I can't wait to see him. I'm just you know, I've been I've been yearning for us to play the kind of football that I watched these guys play on the other side, you know what I mean. Yeah, everywhere they've been where this defense has been, they played with that kind of defense where.
Speaker 3: I used to be like at night, like okay, boy, we're playing them today. You guys up. They better.
Speaker 5: They better have their calls than they read because the ball gotta come out nine. If they ain't coming out nine, I'm gonna have a long day. I ain't getting the ball a lot. So that's what I've been waiting on to see us, do you know? So I talked about the year and a year. I don't see enough fills of catalty on the outside. They're not anybody face and up front. Every now and then, you know, we're gonna get a sack of two. But if we ain't getting a sack, it's a long day.
Speaker 3: It's a long day. That day has come. Well, I'm really gonna play.
Speaker 1: I'm really glad you talked about on the other side because the other guys in the division they also drafted some people.
Speaker 3: Yeah they did.
Speaker 2: So what we're gonna do is graph change doesn't matter, So we're gonna give out some graft graft draft RaSE.
Speaker 3: U C l A.
Speaker 2: For our division. Rivals.
Speaker 1: So we're gonna start with the New York Football Giants, and so let's go through through their first three picks. We got Molik Neighbors, Tyler Nuban from Minnesota, and Andrew Phillips from Kentucky. So those three guys, I actually like them.
Speaker 3: A lobby I can say, at the end of the day, you can't hate. We're gonna tell the truth. Yeah right, Milik Neighbors.
Speaker 4: We know finally Daniel Jones got a win because he listen, Darren Waller, maybe he retired two years ago, didn't tell no matter he's.
Speaker 2: Having he's going through a lot of stuff.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you going through divorce now. Yeah, we're not doing good as NFL marriage.
Speaker 3: Thank you for.
Speaker 2: Holding his nap holding down, you know, my wife.
Speaker 3: But Tyler Newman, you really like his.
Speaker 1: Ball skills and he fits the defense really well. Phillips also fits the defense man corner aggressive, not a lot of ball production, but reminds me a lot of Deontay Banks.
Speaker 2: And he's the corner on the other side.
Speaker 3: And I know you love THEO.
Speaker 2: Just the Johnson. I see like I'm okay with THEO Johnson. I think he's big.
Speaker 1: I think he's physical a little stiff in terms of athletic traits, like you're betting on upside there. Tyrone Tracy from Purdue one of the best pass catching backs in this draft. So love that fit.
Speaker 2: And then Darius I think it's from U. C. L a. Y's probably say that.
Speaker 1: I don't really know a lot of a lot of file on him, but I actually I like the players in the draft.
Speaker 2: They felt a lot of needs.
Speaker 1: I think they got some playmakers and they got better offensively. So I'm gonna give this C minus.
Speaker 4: Well, I'm gonna give it a C because it's just not enough draft picks. I didn't think they had enough.
Speaker 2: Only six picks.
Speaker 3: Yeah, only six picks.
Speaker 4: So I'm gonna hold that against him when I know they was a team deprived of talent.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and obviously minus is being a little but you know it's a giant, so minus.
Speaker 3: I just give him a D.
Speaker 2: Yes, that's what I'm talking about, because.
Speaker 3: I don't like him. May be beating on us too much. I hate that.
Speaker 4: I'm a little pity right, And every time somebody say New York Giants, I close my eyes and all I see is Michael straight hand.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I would never beat. I thought, I thought, I thought it was when I saw the Neighbors.
Speaker 5: Pick, I was like a quarterback. I was just that those pics want to be quarterback. But I understand it. It's crazy because I was watching the presser for All Neighbors and you know, you know these guys get you know Instagram, they take you to take the video and they go go to speaking on it, and they was like, here's a guy that was just in California. It was a guy sounding It's like he is a guy that was just in California. He was shopping for houses and now he and he in New York. He going to the New York Giant. Dude, this looked like a guy that want to be in New York. And I remember the face that he was making on that.
Speaker 3: I say, boy, he really hot right now, so you can say what you say. Don't get me wrong. He's happy to be drafted. Man, be happy. If I told you you going to the job, you aready be catching balls from Daniel job and he spoke about it. Look, I'm gonna say, you gotta be careful what you say. What I told you.
Speaker 5: What happened to me that year going into my senior year in college, a guy we went to New York for some you know, the Big East Breakfast fall of Faller, you know, our captains, And I told him I don't want to come here.
Speaker 3: The next year I was there, so I feel like I'm you know, I said, open my big mouth. Yeah.
Speaker 5: He had just said when they was on a podcast, they asked him, what do you think about now you going.
Speaker 2: To the job? Oh I saw this.
Speaker 5: He said they better get a quarterback because you know, you know, the quarterback situation ain't right.
Speaker 3: So he so his first job is to apologize.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, I mean that's legitimate.
Speaker 1: Like if you want to be like like real draft analysis, that's a legitimate criticism, like you've got all these weapons, and are you locked in at quarterback when you could have been locked in at quarterback?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Again, like I like these players a lot. But yeah, that's that's let's do the Eagles. This is gonna be so much fun here we go. All right, So we got Quinnon Mitchell from Toledo the quarterback. We got Cooper Desine from Iowa. We got Jylex Hunt from Houston Christian Oh. They say he's the ultimate predator project. Yeah, we'll talk about him in a second. We got will Shipley from Clemson. Those are their first four. Let's talk about those guys real quick, Fred, do you want to start?
Speaker 3: Queen?
Speaker 4: Queen and Mitchell. I don't know how he failed to the end, Yeah, what he you? I thought he was only gone by fifteen, like the worst I've seen with fifteen.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Once I seen him fall out, like he go again?
Speaker 2: What was the reason though?
Speaker 4: They didn't say why. I just quarterbacks and back in tackles step out of there. And once they pushed him out of there, Philadelphia just sitting there. They had a chief state waiting.
Speaker 3: On before he at got there.
Speaker 2: But Queen apparently they tried to So what I heard is they tried to trade up, but no one wanted to trade. They having a wash. It like they tried to trade nineteen or something, and.
Speaker 1: Then no one's Everyone's like, no, we're good because there's all these good players, right, everyone's getting pushed down. You know.
Speaker 3: You know, it's crazy because it was like the year of the offense.
Speaker 5: I mean, you know, it was really your offense heavy draft in the first round, and when I started seeing.
Speaker 3: Those defensive guys, it's crazy.
Speaker 5: How when it went from tackles, or went from quarterbacks to tackles, and soon as that first defensive guy was.
Speaker 3: Taking it was all that. It was all dens, you know what I mean. So it was just weird.
Speaker 5: But one of the guys that stood out to me when you know with them, is is Cooper Dijohn, you know what I mean. Like this just we was talking, I'm like, they asked me what I want him. I'm like, I don't know, do he fit what we do? But hell of a football player.
Speaker 4: But do you see him playing a safety or your safet? Yeah, a safety, he'll be a safety and a nickel he would be the honey badger.
Speaker 2: Yeah he would do.
Speaker 3: He'll have a and he returned kicks.
Speaker 4: And I just think when you put two guys, that's a young core to put with those young defensive tack becles they taken in the last couple of years. You got your sticky long coner, you got your safety slash nickel that can aggest, that can blitz, that can cover tight end, that can cover slots. That's coop of the gene to me is one of those fixtures. I think he'll be a ten year Philadelphia Eagle because I just think he's that type of player. He's got London say, don't there ever put him at Coner. Yeah, that's how London fields. And I can see that a little bit.
Speaker 1: So let's talk about that real quick, because that's the player that got in the trade with Washington. With you, and so Washington traded back. They received fifty to fifty three, yeah, and one sixteen or once sixty one, excuse me, and then Philly received forty which was this pick seventy eight and one fifty two. So one thing I wanted to call attention to here is we got Mike sander Still out of this trade and Ben Sner not. Yeah, I now this is this is I don't want to be hot taking here, and I kind of put I kind of put Sander Still and Cooper Degene as a slot players in a very similar tier. I give a slight edge to Cooper Degen, but in terms of getting a football player in the slot safety kind of ballpark, sander Still is excellent. So to trade back, get a guy, get two guys a very good value. I think that trade, even though they get Cooper Degene, yeah, kind of favors Washington.
Speaker 3: No, I do, because I almost had to put uh the tackle in there too.
Speaker 2: Oh that's right. Yeah.
Speaker 4: Like at the end of the day, we end up with three second round picks, and all those second round picks will be guys that'll be added to this team.
Speaker 3: These guys are going to play a lot of rip.
Speaker 4: So if I'm taking three compared to one, I think I'm winning to go back and get there.
Speaker 3: I'm fine. Then most people were like, I could Washington trade with Philip deevs. We ain't here for bes. We don't do feelings no more like we was doing that years ago. You know, we can't cherry with him. Yes I can. You got that pick. I won't it here. You take it, especially if I'm getting more foot so it doesn't matter.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: The next one is Jelex Hunt from Houston Christian Really he played safety at like Yale or Cornell or something like that, then transferred played stand up edge.
Speaker 2: I mean he looks the part.
Speaker 1: He's thirty four in charms, fast moves well, developmental guy.
Speaker 2: You know, they're not looking for him to play next year, but they don't have to because they're Philly. They have like thousand defensive You.
Speaker 5: Notice how most of these guys in the draft, has played elsewhere, like have been on that's something three four years and played the last year of this other team and got drafted.
Speaker 3: That's what they do now.
Speaker 1: They took and run and then Will Shipley from l Clemson the next guy, who I as a pass catching back I really enjoyed watching. Reminds me a lot. They're not the same player. They're not the same player. They're not the same player. Remind me a little bit of Christian McCaffrey. Yeah, okay, not the same player.
Speaker 3: I was you gonna say, that's why.
Speaker 1: But there were some similarities in terms of being able to line up in the slot, run a choice, find mismatches in the past game.
Speaker 2: So I really liked those first four picks. And they got let's go next four.
Speaker 1: We got a Nia Smith from Texas A and m Yes Trotter from Clemson, Trevor Keagan from Michigan. We got Johnny Wilson from Florida State and Dylan McMahon.
Speaker 2: McMahon McMahon, I know.
Speaker 1: He plays center. I don't know what I know what school is from, So leave a comment if you know what schools from. Undersized center, though, what do you think fred.
Speaker 3: Nia Y Smith is a do it all type of guy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he will be working a slot. Uh you could.
Speaker 3: You can motion into backfield if you wanted to. He's a return guy.
Speaker 4: I didn't foresee him going this early, but he was a guy that you know, I kicked my eye on. I was like, somebody with a plane gonna get this guy, and he can be He can be special almost not because this one play running big one play while received. But you remember last year when Miami drafted a train h and people like I wonder how to gonna use him? I think has a plan to do with Smith the same way and Jeremi, I try to he's to We keep.
Speaker 2: Talking about pedigree.
Speaker 4: I agree in parents, Philadelphiel drafting his dadd and now they drafted him. And I think they drafted him because they know he can be a project, that we can work on him and hunt.
Speaker 3: But do you think he felt fail I thought he was supposed to be drafting early.
Speaker 2: I don't think so.
Speaker 1: I think one of the things that hurt him in the pre draft he didn't test, and so when you watch my film, you're like, I don't know how athletic you are. He didn't run, and he didn't do anything else and so instinctive football players, smart football player. But with that linebacker spot, you need We talked about it with McGee. You need some coverage, trades of ability. So I think that's what hurt him.
Speaker 5: I just hate to see guys that I like playing for the guys in our Johnny Wilson, we got to that.
Speaker 1: We fought, let's talk about Johnny will because think a lot of fans probably feel the same way.
Speaker 2: So you know, just to guy Jason and I.
Speaker 1: We went to the Senior boy went to the combine, and so Johnny Wilson obviously very physically impressive. I mean he's he's literally I've never I've never I can honestly say this, never seen a receiver looks like him. The problem with Johnny Wilson that he didn't I don't think you fit with the Commander's draft vision because you watch him at the Senior Bowl. He did it, did his one on ones, then left practice. He had an injury, but he left practice, went to the combine, crushed every route about halfway through, hamstring tightened up.
Speaker 2: Left.
Speaker 1: Talk to people at Florida State, how much does he love football? And look at the guys we've got they die for football. So in terms of traits, athleticism, upside, you like this pick for Philly, But he's not He's not a commander with the sea on it, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: And I think that's what differentiates him.
Speaker 1: Again, like the we the commanders in my opinion, Now you'd have to talk to Adam or you know, Dan about this. We were not this year in a position to accommodate that. We got to establish our culture and like maybe if we've got a couple veteran like veterans in the locker room that can bring the young guy along and say this is how we do things as a commander, you feel more comfortable.
Speaker 2: But I don't think they felt that the team was there yet.
Speaker 3: It makes it makes sense. I could deal with that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And so Trevor Keagan's offensive lineman, Del McMahon offensive lineman.
Speaker 1: I like a lot of these players. I like the upside of Jeremiah Tater, Junior Ania Smith. You talked about love the like that Johnny Wilson could be a home run swing for them late love the first four picks.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna give him D minus. It's nice.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna give them a see you in Philly.
Speaker 2: See what you got, Tanda.
Speaker 5: I'm filling one of them teams. I don't hate him as much as I hate to two guys.
Speaker 2: Minus.
Speaker 1: All right, Yeah that seems fair, like all those players given me se minus love it all right?
Speaker 2: Now, let's do the Cowboys. I don't even need to see this, I know.
Speaker 1: I know.
Speaker 2: My grades would be.
Speaker 1: Tyler Gland from Tyler Guyden from Oklahoma, Marshawn Neeland from Western Michigan, Cooper Bebbe from Kansas State. Yeah, Maurice lufol from Notre Dame, Caitlin Carson from Wake Forrest, Ryan Florinoy from Southern Missouri, No Eastern Missouri, Western Missouri, Directional Missouri is where he's from. Nathan Thomas is a raging Cajun, and I don't know who Justin Rodgers is. So you google that if you're a Dallas Cowboy fan.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So let's talk about the first four.
Speaker 3: You know how Field about Tyler Guiden. Yeah, you know how both of us feeled about marsha and so Tyler.
Speaker 1: Guiden project a little bit. And that's where again, like, is the value to trade him in the first round for athletic traits worth it something to think about. He wouldn't be ready probably this year, and knowing he's going in Dallas, he probably will because the.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so you'll probably have to play.
Speaker 1: But like the athletic traits are out there, insane, like insane, built in the lab type stuff. Marshawn Neeland. Love the player, love the effort. I think a guy that could have easily been here in Washington. Power rushers sometimes have a hard time at the next level because the power that they played within colleges and translate.
Speaker 2: But love that guy.
Speaker 1: Cooper Bibay one of the best, most physical run blocking guards, steal old man. Worry about his past protection ability, Yep, you know what I'm saying in terms of he's got thirty inch thirty one in charms, so sometimes those longer guys get after you a little bit and Reese through foul. Probably one of the most physical downhill linebackers in the class, so I was very high on him. Uh. And then Kellen Carson, physical corner, Ryan Florinoy excellent kind of special teams wide receiver with athletic traits UH.
Speaker 2: And then Nathan Rogers.
Speaker 1: Nathan Thomas is a guy that I think he was like six six three forty probably moves to guard, but another depth piece there for them.
Speaker 4: And so the guy Justin Rodgers because you don't know who the game do you know who he is? You know what I told you, I don't like regular named football. You know how I feel about it.
Speaker 2: So everywhere, what are thoughts about the captain?
Speaker 3: I care nothing about those guys. Let's go hand skip, let's go a hand move forward. Yeah, I have to say you.
Speaker 4: At the end of the day, they added some guys to a team that already kind of fall apart of little bit you know what, they are mentally following up like they on the point so bad that Jerry.
Speaker 3: Just blabborating that name.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, So during the draft, everyone knew they wanted a running back. No, they wrote it one running but I mean they knew they were going to target a running back.
Speaker 2: And so which one is it going to be? Is it going to be? You know, I don't know, Trey Benson, Jonathan Brooks? Who knows? And then Jerry after day one goes, we are high high high, he's high high on our boards. What's his name?
Speaker 1: Jonathan Brooks? We want to draft Jonathan Brooks? Interview in my thirty years. I thought it was the best interview that I'd ever had with a player. He's outstanding and he's a great football player, so obviously interest is high, right, And then what does the Carolina Panthers do? They say no, and then Carolina traded up ahead of.
Speaker 3: The Cowboy h bigs before the Cowboys like Jo No, I have to look back like two pigs before. Just to really give it to him, it's socking. Listen.
Speaker 4: It was so bad that they got on the phone and signed Zeke the next twenty four hours, a twenty nine year old z in a crop top.
Speaker 3: They didn't signed him right after They couldn't get your job.
Speaker 2: So I mean because of that, I'd probably give it like an alf funny think.
Speaker 5: Yeah I didn't give me, don't care about but hey, i'd say this though them getting ze back.
Speaker 3: I'm happy for him, man, you know that a marriage maiden head. I feel like he should have never left it.
Speaker 5: And you know, I feel like he was a workhorse, fun man that they should have kept around. But just to see that and went on that transpired. Man, that just goes to show you, man, now you really you really don't understand until you understand Jerry Jones day do a whole lot for them, But that ain't what we need you to be doing. Jered that day, Let you boys, let your son whoever else have that job, do that because you were out displating the beans.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 3: Hey, like they said church, won't he do it?
Speaker 2: Every year? He does that every year?
Speaker 3: He doesn't?
Speaker 1: Yeah the uh the so they also last year didn't he pulled up he held up the actual big board.
Speaker 3: Yeah, every picky won it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's like a wacky that's a wacky bitch.
Speaker 3: It's dirty because he does it every year. I don't think you know he's doing it, or do you think he's.
Speaker 2: Doing it, like because we're talking about it, I don't know. I don't know.
Speaker 4: He's Jerry. He hasn't lived by rules in fifty years. Like, what are you who's going to stop him? Lit Jerry stop him?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Yeah, nobody. He's He's like.
Speaker 4: He's unstoppable for us. I'm sorry, Like Tannis say, as good as as much ed up as he brings to I don't even call him America's team. I caught him Austin's team.
Speaker 3: As much as he brings to the team, he takes ton of that away ton over the.
Speaker 2: Way, Yeah for sure.
Speaker 1: All right, So we gave everybody else a grade, and yeah, I think we need to finish off by giving the commanders a grade.
Speaker 4: It's so hard to grade before we see these guys down. Yeah, it's just it's unfair sometime. But for the selections and and I'm really feel great the maneuvering. I was so impressed with the I'm gonna trade back and get this secondess, this third second round pick, so the mind frame, and I'm gonna give them an A for staying disciplined to your board. Most teams don't do it. Most teams see that that can't out there. Danglyn, I'm gonna have to get that coop of the gene.
Speaker 3: No, Sandy Scriell as well.
Speaker 4: We want so then stay put. So I am gonna give them the props for staying there. Yeah, and getting guys like being knocked the snot at you.
Speaker 5: I'm gonna I'm gonna give you an A for that. I'm giving them b You know all I said before, I was I was impressed. I love it the month, you know, like they still got to go out there and play the game and say I go out there and develop these guys.
Speaker 3: You don't know who's gonna make the squad who's not.
Speaker 5: I don't want to get too technical with it, but when it comes to just seeing how things was done differently, that BEE stands for just man, I'm happy to see if it really was a change, I really saw them. You know, it didn't look like the I guess you could say the Commanders or Washington teams of Oh oh yeah, you know from the years I've been around here, right, you're just reaching just to reach, you know what I mean, throwing money at.
Speaker 2: The football team.
Speaker 1: I think that's actually that's excellent, Enow, that's exactly I feel exactly the same way I think, though, I give it a B plus because they've got a quarterback of the future. We even't talked about that a lot, but I think like that's.
Speaker 2: A huge part.
Speaker 1: You got a new owner, new head coach, new GM and now a new quarterback and a guy that is tremendously talented. We got to sit down and talk with him, and just his maturity in the interview that he showed like his maturity on draft night. And again I'm not saying he's going to be the savor of the organization. I don't want to put that pressure on him. But it's nice guy.
Speaker 2: I like they're not saying he's to say to get together.
Speaker 3: How many time have we seen us jack with quarterback and say here r G three, go save us. No, they said, hey, dude.
Speaker 4: You pull it over a puzzle. Come on in here and hopefully you can get to the point where you're taking us to champion.
Speaker 1: And again the fact that he's so talented and the upside's there. And then to Fred's point, that mindset around him, Yes, I think is incredibly important. So I'm excited for that something to give him a B plus. And again for the process for the quarterback, and I think just again for sticking to your board. I think all those points are one hundred percent true and that's why we feel so excited about it. I think that's going to do it for today's show. Please make sure to like and subscribe wherever you get your podcasts. If you want to see our faces, you can check us out on YouTube. I think that's going to do it for Oh yeah, get the shirt. Yes, all right, that's it.
Speaker 2: See you.
Speaker 1: The views and opinions expressed by our podcast guests and or hosts are their own and do not necessarily reflect the views or positions of the Washington Commanders or any of their representatives.