Speaker 1: Hey, what's up everybody.
Speaker 2: I'm Jamel Hill and welcome to politics and I heard podcast and unbothered production.
Speaker 1: Time to get spolitical.
Speaker 2: With the NCAA Women's tournament in full swing, Fox Sports decided to do a ranking of the top ten greatest women's college basketball players in history. And before I get into who made the top ten list, let me preemptibly say, well played, Fox, Well fucking played. Because the nature of most of these lists is to drive engagement.
Speaker 1: Well, I'm engaged. Engagement here. Now here's their list.
Speaker 2: Number ten, Lynette Woodard, number nine, Asia Wilson, number eight, Kennis Parker number seven, Brittany Griner number six, Maya Moore number five, Shamika hold Squad number four, Cheryl Miller number three, Diana Tarassi, number two, Caitlin Clark, and number one Brianna Stewart. They also included these honorable mentions Kelsey Plus, Sabrina Ionescu, Alenda del Don, Cheryl Swoops, and Rebecca Lobo.
Speaker 1: Now, every woman listed is a great.
Speaker 2: But this list is wrong. Now I get the case for a Brianna Stewart at number one. She won a national title every single year she was at Yukon, which is an absurd accomplishment. She also won Player of the Year three straight years, which is also completely absurd.
Speaker 1: But is she the best to ever do it?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 2: For one accomplished and great two different things. Stewiet is by far the most accomplished player. And yes she is great, She's just not that est part. Now, how can Stewey be the goat of women's college basketball, which she's not even the greatest player in Yukon's history.
Speaker 1: Doris Burg, tell them who that is her?
Speaker 3: Connecticut's best players are concerned, I would still have Diana Tarazzi in that conversation right there with her. And here's live in two thousand and three and two thousand and four when they were winning their second and third of one of their three peats, Diana Tarazzi and Gina wri it was their brilliance and their abilities and their I don't know how to say it, but they are people who can make those around them exceed. There what you think is their ceiling as a player, regardless of sport. And Diana did not have the luxury of the next two best players in the country beside her, and you look at how she won those tournaments. Guys, it was truly a thing to watch. That goes back to his common I have Diana and you don't, And it was shill Apropos.
Speaker 2: Diana Lreena Tarassi of the House of Huskies, first of her name, winner of three national titles, ruler of stores Connecticut, mother of competitive Mayhem aka she got that dog in her, the White Mamba of ball.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 2: When Tarasi got to Yukon, they were at the beginning of establishing their superpowers. Her first title came her sophomore year on that historic thirty nine and Oh team with superb Swing, cash Asia Jones and Tamika Williams. But when that crew graduated a lot of people were predicting that the Huskies would fall off, including Yukon's own assistant coach Chris Day.
Speaker 1: That former Husty Ashley Battle explained.
Speaker 4: Going into my red shirt sophomore year, we didn't have a senior or we had lost super bird swin Cash, Asa Jones, Tamika Williams. So they left and CD, knowing what we had coming back, is like, oh lord, We're going to the NIT next year, and we was like dang.
Speaker 2: Like for real, now, wait a minute. The NT after going thirty nine and zero the disrespect. But Daily wasn't alone.
Speaker 4: The media thought the same thing we were. I think like preseason number six, which was like the lowest Yukon has been in years. But the media was just pretty much saying, oh, well they have Diana, but who else.
Speaker 2: Being ranked six in the preseason? I mean, that's hardly the nit but you get the point only there was no slide for Yukon. Diana Tarassi lived up to every expectation and more. The Huskies won another two national titles, with Tarassi winning National Other Player her final two seasons. See when did he and greatest Player? It's about a combination of things. Stat stature, ability, context of the moment, and accomplishments.
Speaker 1: All of that matters.
Speaker 2: So when Fox listed Caitlyn Clark as the second greatest women's player ever behind Stewart, I thought, no, it's Kitlyn Clark among the top ten greatest women's college players ever. Does Pete head seth send detailed attack plans over signal? Hell, yeah, She's just not number two.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 2: Statistically, Caitlyn Clark almost has no peer. Offensively, nobody has scored more points than her in their college basketball career. Nobody has made more three pointers than her, Nobody has more national scoring titles.
Speaker 1: Her impact is that of a true pioneer.
Speaker 2: She broke attendance records everywhere she went, and last year, with her appearing in the national title game for the first time in history, the women's championship game had more viewers than the men's. Now, you look at the inflection points in the history of women's college basketball, and she's an obvious one.
Speaker 1: But here's the problem. All the other greats on this list have rings. Now, rings aren't a defining characteristic.
Speaker 2: It's just pretty hard to justify being that high on the list when you're missing the one component everyone else has on the same said list. Now, let's say you want to make the case that Caitlin Clark is in a unique situation because she didn't have as much firepower and as many five star recruits that she played alongside as some of the others on the list.
Speaker 1: Well, neither of this.
Speaker 2: Cheryl Swoops, who is not in the top ten but she should be. Cheryl Swoops started her career at University of Texas, but she left the school before she could even figure out where her dorm was located. Back then, the transfer portal wasn't portaling the way that it is now, so Swoops took a detour to community college for two years. She then transferred to Texas Tech, which was nowhere on anybody's women's college basketball map. Her first season at Texas Tech, she averaged twenty one a game and took the Red Raiders, who had never made it past the second round of the NCAA Tournament. She took them to the Elite eight, where they lost to the top seed in Stanford. That next year, Cheryl Swoops wasn't playing no games. She averaged twenty eight a game and scored more points than anyone in women's college basketball that season.
Speaker 1: Now Texas Tech.
Speaker 2: Earned the number two seed, and behind Cheryl Swoops' dominance, they beat number one seed Ohio State to win the national championship. In that game, Cheryl Swoops dropped forty seven, which is still the most points anybody has scored in a women's NCAA Tournament national title game. Now, Swoops was on some Dandy Manning type shit. She didn't play with any other first team All Americans. Texas Tech's second leading scorer averaged thirteen points a game. Ohio State, her opponent in the title game had four players who averaged double figures, and the buck Geys were led by future Hall of Famer Katie Smith, just saying culturally, she also was a big damn deal and doing things on the court that women simply weren't known for doing. She was packing out arenas. Her air swoops were the first Sneakers name after a woman.
Speaker 1: People were regularly.
Speaker 2: Referring to her as the female Michael Jordan. Even Michael Jordan was like, yeah, that tracks.
Speaker 3: She really unstopped me.
Speaker 5: From my standpoint. She had the skills that really seemed to be better than anybody else she was playing against, and rarely do you see women who can do that. I think she really opened eyes about women's basketball. She's a credit to women's fast.
Speaker 1: So by now I know what you're thinking.
Speaker 2: Who are my top ten greatest women's college basketball players of all time? And even if you weren't thinking that, I'm going to tell you anyway. But before I reveal that, let me explain my criteria informing my list. It's team impact, ability, hardware, context, competition, and eyeball tests. See every player on my list, I've actually seen them play. So here's my list coming in at ten Tamika Catchings, a name that isn't brought up nearly as much as it should be on these Greatest Evers list. She won every significant Player of the Year award in two thousand and won a national title in ninety eight.
Speaker 1: Just a complete score.
Speaker 2: Number nine Shamika Hoes call, like the previously mentioned Meek great from her freshman year, two time player of the Year. There was nothing she couldn't do offensively, three straight national titles, all time leading scorer for Tennessee men or women. At eight, Brittany Grider, dominant, big, ferocious defender, won a national title, multiple Player of the Year awards. She came out of high school with an incredible amount of hype because of her size and dominance, and she absolutely delivered. Number seven here's where I have Kaitlyn Clark. She has truly moved the game into a new era. Number six swoops. Texas Tech has its only national title in women's basketball because of her.
Speaker 1: Number five Candice Parker.
Speaker 2: Not only does she have first team All American baby hairs, she won back to back national titles, Dynamic at both ends of the floor, and she was major, I mean major in terms of star power.
Speaker 1: She just did things and games where you say, now, what in the Sam hill was that case in point?
Speaker 2: In two thousand and six, she became the first woman to ever do this in an NCAA tournament game.
Speaker 1: Turnover to Spencer, you're thinking about it, duct there is We said it at the start. She wants to shut out. I think she feels but she's the best player in America. Best freshman in America is Canais Parker. She is siptially and the Trump Dollar Transition. Yes, ma'am received Cander's. Parker her first dunk in college. She won the McDonald's High School All American Dunk Contest against the Boys and Doors.
Speaker 6: To the best of our knowledge, that's the first dunk ever in an NCAA tournament game.
Speaker 1: Number four Paige and Stewie.
Speaker 2: No other player has her championship resume at number three.
Speaker 1: Maya Moore.
Speaker 2: I still don't think people appreciate how gifted Maya Moore was four time American, two time National Player of the Year, back to back national titles. I swear if she hadn't decided to retire from the NBA while she was still in her prime, she would have finished as the greatest player ever to play in the w She's your favorites fave because she is KATELYNK. Clark's favorite player. Number two White Mama, y'all know what it is, and she plays mean. I love that for her. Now, before I give you my number one, let me provide some honorable mentions as well. They are Sabrina iin Escu, who is in that class of best players to never win a national championship. Kelsey Plumb, who at the NCAA all time scoring record for women before Katelyn Clark broke that record. Simone Augustus led LSU to three straight final fours. And Sue Bert just the consummate winner and maybe the best floor general and leader of all time. But number one for me on this list, and I know I'm gonna have to let her go at some point, because lists, when it comes to sports, are meant to be changed. It's Cheryl Miller, because of course it is. She's the standard standard. She did it all offensively. On top of averaging fifteen boards a game or junior season, she gave usc their basketball identity. Her first national championship game drew nearly twelve million viewers. She created so much of the culture of women's basketball.
Speaker 1: Bona fide baller.
Speaker 2: I will forever stand and until further notice, any list of greatest women's college basketball players that doesn't include Cheryl Miller.
Speaker 1: Thou demands that not be the case.
Speaker 2: And if there is a day where Cheryl Miller is in danger of not being number one, a series of hearings will be held and a special commission will be convened before any official decision or any official changes are rendered. Argue with your auntie with the raggedy mumu and sliding wig. I'm Jamel Hill and I approve this message. Prepare to get your laugh on in this episode because one of my favorite people is coming through. He's one of the funniest comedians in the business and definitely one of the smartest ones too, something he.
Speaker 1: Doesn't get enough credit for.
Speaker 2: He currently has a stand up comedy special on Hulu called Lonely Flowers, which is brilliant. He's also host of the CNN show Have I Got News for You? It is informative and extremely funny. Of course, coming up next on Spolitics b ham as in Birmingham's own roy Wood Junior. Roy thank you so much for taking the time to join me. Going to start the podcast by asking a question I ask every guest that appears on Spolitics, and that is name an athlete or a moment.
Speaker 1: In sports that made you love sports.
Speaker 6: Braves ninety two NLCS Braise Pirates sid brings sliding in, allowing the Braves to come back to back pennant champion tans Down one of the most exciting baseball games I've ever witness in the sport. I rewatch it once a year for inspiration. That whole game seven is still on YouTube in its entirety, every pitch and I watched that thing. I watch it and then I go back and watch somebody on YouTube. God bless him took the Atlanta Braves radio call and put it over the actual Fox Sports because it's skip carry and all of them on the radio. No knock on the national coverage. But man, when when the hometown announcers are calling a walk off, that's just beautiful.
Speaker 2: It's beautiful, I guess because you you know, you grew up in both what Memphis and Birmingham.
Speaker 6: Yeah yeah, I mean Memphis till third grade, So whatever you count that as being because you know you meet people from Mivan. I don't be trying, but it's just like the reporters be like, yes, so Memphis, and I'm like, wait a minute. I went to Catfish Cabin two times and then we was in Birmingham. We was gone, Okay, it was still Memphis State when I was there.
Speaker 1: Oh wow.
Speaker 2: But nevertheless, I mean because growing up in the South and for a lot of people from that part of the country, a lot of people were Braves fans.
Speaker 1: So the Braves your team.
Speaker 6: Well, the Cubs is what I loved, but I thought you were a Cubs fans. But just that game, that game was I just wrote in the playoffs, I just root for good baseball the Braves. I hope this makes the most. I hope this makes sense what I'm about to say. I liked the Cubs, but the Braves had the type of black players that I liked watching play, if that makes sense. Like Ron Gant was a beast, Dion had all of his flare. Dion was my favorite athlete growing up. I had his baseball cleats. They ain't helped me run faster, but I had this. And then they had Otis Nixon, who was a legit psychopath. That there's a They're like a great player, but also like just like on some on some vernon Maxwell, I don't want to dream on them because he wasn't antagonistic, but like, once you set him off, we're gonna Stephen Jackson. He was probably more of a Stephen Jackson. I don't bother anybody, but if you bother me, I will end this situation. There is a Phillies Braves fight that I also watch on YouTube once a year for inspiration, and somebody hit Otis Nixon and that boy ran at the mound and halfway to the mound, foot in the air, flying karate kick, Like anytime you just see somebody do like a legit fight maneuver in a baseball fighter said that's not even allowed, and it's like, and this is Otis Nixon. He from that era where they smoke Newports in the dugout and all that shit. How do you even have the aerobic stamina.
Speaker 1: To karate?
Speaker 6: Somebody different?
Speaker 1: Different?
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, so, I mean Braves had I mean that was a different era for black men in baseball period. But the Braves had low Kia black ass team, and then you had Terry Pimbleton, who was like the more astute I'm gonna show you all how to do the game the right way, but also don't hit Terry Pimbleton or do anything crazy because you're gonna have to deal with Oldes Nickson around game.
Speaker 2: So where would you say you stand as a baseball fan now, because as many people have noted, throughout the years, baseball has had a tough time of maintaining a black fan base.
Speaker 6: I'm still a fan of the sport. I'm going to Tokyo to watch Cubs Dodgers. That's gonna be a good time. I'm gonna take the boy with me and we're gonna, you know, have some father son kickback time. I I am still a fan. I believe baseball more so has a youth problem than well, there's a black problem statistically, but in terms of the bigger issue, is it blacks in the sports or is it black people watching the sport? You've taken the flair and the swag out of the sport. There's a reliever. I can try and find his name real quick if you want to get into the nerd and ex off it all. But there's a reliever. There's a black reliever. I don't know if it's Caribbean whatever. He's in the diaspora. There's a brother that play for the Rockies right now here, a relief pitcher. Anytime he strike your ass out, he jumped and then do like an electric slide. The only thing I can compare it to is Martin Lawrence and Blue Street when he the pizza man and he come out the police station and he got the police badge and he did slide and walk like And he do this in the middle of the game in spring training. He gonna get all his teammates killed. But if you allow something like that to stay in the game, that's a good thing. Like to me, the issue with black folks in baseball, and if you really want to go there, we can have this conversation a whole hour. So I was down in Birmingham. You know, they did a Negro League tribute game at Rickwood Field in Birmingham, the oldest ballpark in the country is what Willie Mays took his first professional at bats. And I played my high school games there. So I went around with MLB and NPR and we interviewed tons of people. We interviewed old Negro leaguers, we interviewed current people. I went by my old high school and talked to the coaches. There a lot of the issues with the lack of black people in baseball isn't entirely Major League Baseball's fault. They could kick in a little more money, but there's still parts of it that still come down to black kids wanting to play the sport. So you know, it's already priced out where you got to play travel ball year round, Like the idea of just playing baseball for three months of your high school or for three months in Little League and then going on by your business the rest of the school years. The middle school is dead, so you got to have parents with a disposable income to drive your ass all over the East Coast, crossing two three time zones every weekend during the school year, hotels, food equipment, all the registration fees for all of these leagues. That's how you stay good year round to even be remotely competitive. Andrew mccutchon wrote an article in The Players Tribute about ten years ago basically saying the only reason he went pros because he had a white teammate whose daddy saw his ability and bankrolled McCutcheon traveling with them. Because mccutchen's family didn't have the bread nor of the time. If you want to get into you know, single parent households in the black community and all of that stuff. Then the bigger issue is that if you are good at baseball, you're probably good at another sport that's probably going to give you a scholarship. Sooner ain't going to give you money faster. Baseball is guaranteed contracts, but you've got to toil in the minor leagues three four, five years, making statistically less than minimum way for the amount of time you put in for what the team pays you. It's less than minimum wave. Most minor leaguers have a day job. So if you're a black kid and you're a fast shortstopper, you're a fast center fielder. You're probably a dB or wide out too. And the football program make more money at the D one level. The football program now got more money because of the nil ain't ain't the nil fawset ain't flowing for baseball and softball not at the same level that it is for football. So why would I even go to college? Should play baseball, big dog, most black baseball, most Black college. But this is one of the first stories I pitched at the Daily show, and we ended up not being able to do it because Trump happened. Most black college baseball teams are predominantly white or Hispanic, it.
Speaker 2: Is correct, as well as the golf teams as well as the tennis teams.
Speaker 1: Like so this idea that which is what I always.
Speaker 2: Find it funny that I think there is a significant percentage of white people who legitimately think that white people do not go to HBCUs And.
Speaker 1: I'm like, mm hmm. They are there and they're on scholarship.
Speaker 6: Every black person that went to any SHOULDBCU can name the white people by name, we know them. Mine was River in Ocean and they ran cross country. Fact check that in the comments not River and Ocean. Literally those are their names, two white Like that is the most Trader joehol food ass name.
Speaker 1: And they were cool.
Speaker 6: They played spades and shit in the lobby. They come through Gibbs Hall and we showed them love because they never tried to be They didn't try to wigger it. Fucking my name is River. Good to meet you, right, and we kicked it. So so like the idea that what Major League Baseball need to do more? Okay, they got the RBI program to get the black kids excited about it, but the RBI really only carry you to about third grade, fourth grade, and even still RBI is only two three months out of the year. So you look at like if you look at Birmingham right like, if you look at the city of Birmingham, my high school was one of the ones that was halfway decent at baseball because we would schedule games out in the county. We didn't have there was let's just talk right now. Right now, the city of Birmingham, there's eight high schools, there's only three serviceable baseball fields. They don't drain well, they do not have the capacity to carry a bunch of games at a regular base. If it rained on Monday, you might not play a game again till Thursday, even if the sky is clear Tuesday Wednesday, because you know that in the hood, you get them them deep ass puddles, and so you don't get to play as frequently as you want to, or you're playing double triple headers now you out till ten o'clock at night on a school night. So just and that's partly because so many cities have cut park services, and we can get into the crime prevention of giving cared something to do, versus taking the park money and hiring more cops to arrest the kids for not having anything to do. There's a lot of that that's happening in a lot of cities in this country. So the level of accessibility of baseball as a sport. If you're black, it's hard enough even when you're trying to play it. And then your mama can't drive you nowhere. And then you got a coach from the football team coming in and saying, we can get you thirty thousand and two white girls right now if you sign this commitment letter, Baseball don't give you know what, Baseball don't give them. You don't even get a white girl. You gotta get the Triple A before you get your first white girl.
Speaker 2: I mean, it is a shame though, because, as somebody like you like, baseball was my first love as well growing up in Detroit. Big Tiger fan, Big Tiger fan even now, so happy we had the season that we just had and looking forward to They're coming out here to La so I'm gonna go see them play the Dodgers at the end of March.
Speaker 1: But you know, it's all the things that you said.
Speaker 2: It's lack of access, lack of resources, and it is just a coolness factor that football and basketball have that baseball doesn't necessarily have, and so kids are much more attracted to that than they are to playing baseball. But I will say too, I think another problem that they're experiencing is you know, and I think this goes for all sports, Like sports are becoming more expensive, regardless if it's basketball. Like the amount of games that high school and youth basketball players are playing is alarming.
Speaker 1: You know what happened? It is absurd. I mean, they're playing like seventy.
Speaker 2: Five to one hundred games a year, and then we're shocked when they're in their early twenties they get to the NBA and they got to do low management. It's like the professionalization of youth sports across the board is really it is really something that is disheartening because as those of us who grew up having rec centers, being able to play in the neighborhood is like that shit don't exist no more.
Speaker 1: Like it's going away very very rapidively. Is like it's basically gone.
Speaker 6: And you also have parents that are living vicariously through these kids. These parents got hoop dreams of their own as well. There's a little bit of that, and they're pushing the kids too hard, you know. I saw somewhere someone said that you should be cross training your children and they should be playing other sports in the off season because all sports help you with other sports. So the idea of only playing baseball and then you're just mentally and emotionally drained. And I also feel like to a degree, that leads to a lot of that post retirement depression shit that these athletes be dealing with, because who are you? All you've done is hold this ball since she was ten, and now you're thirty four, and you got to figure out what your likes are because you ain't even been to a summer camp, big nog. You ain't. You ain't done nothing. And so I think that having parents that understand the kids to need a variety of activities, I think is an important part of it. But I think by and large, when I think about why I was attracted to baseball, I liked baseball because it was the ultimate social but isolating sport like I didn't like football, like okay, like to the Memphis to Birmingham thing. So when we moved to Birmingham. I was third grade and I tried to play seventy five pound football and it's too late. Like once you're trying to play football third fourth grade, the aggression is there within the kids. And I never would like I had played. Mean, we were in Memphis. I played church baseball at Mississippi Boulevard Baptist. I played a little bit of soccer, kind polite sports. Yeah, the football. These motter fuckers, gangster disciples in the fourth grade, like we was in the hood. We're in West End and I'm like, I'm not going to tackle no gangs of this. And then I got to run home the next five days. So give me baseball. And baseball was fun. There was flamboyance to it. I remember Dave Stewart. Dave Stewart used to have the death stare. Would he'd have the glove up overs and the bib down here, the glove up here. It was like a he literally looked like a ninja like that shit was cool to me. I don't think you have you know a lot of that. I mean, you know, God bless Mookie Betts because I really feel like he's putting the culture of baseball on his back. For black Americans too, which I think is also a very important part of the equation, is that because of the international influence and the influx of international players into the sport, now, if you're a team, I don't necessarily have to get a local if you will in terms of an American. So I think that allowing the international players in to have their own flamboyance, to have their own flair to the game would help bring some brothers back to the damn sport. But I just don't think that. I think baseball is run by traditionalists, conservative, very conservative, not politically behaviorally conservative, probably conservative like that too. But you know what I'm saying, a little yeah, it's the idea of pull your pants up you're wearing Like I saw there was a post about jazz Chisholm. I don't know. It's just some spring training, just jazz being happy, just someth motherfucker happy and taking ground as at second base, and somebody in the comments talking about the jewelry and why you gotta hold that step fun. It's very pull up your pants type of verbiage. I mean, something as stupid as the Yankees letting people have a bed. God bless you I know.
Speaker 2: The fact that they're just now deciding to lift the facial hair requirement is very on brand for baseball. It's like baseball is still one of those warts that you know, it feels like segregation, but it's not just yeahs, Jim Crow, but it's like, despite our presence, you're like, what is this?
Speaker 1: Why do I feel like I'm not drinking at the proper water? Found Sometimes when I.
Speaker 6: Watch it, it's not like baseball didn't have a relationship with black people, but it's just to get black people to come and watch the game. To get black people to really care about it enough to play it, there has to be a player that looks like here that you can identify with or that you can relate to. And I think the lack of flair and the lack of swag, Like you don't even see baseball players walking in the tunnel to the to the game. Just let me see your outfit. What's your wore to the stadium in the day? Dog? Can we just see that? Like they won't even give you that. So and most baseball players are just very much blue collar mentality. So I don't know what you would get out of them anyway. But you know, like, remember, I ain't saying we need racists back in baseball, but remember how good you felt when a black person hit a home run off John Rocker from the Braves.
Speaker 1: It was a moment always.
Speaker 6: It's just it was just it was like a black person dunking on a Boston Celtic in the eighties. It just felt right. It just you need storylines. You need people that are like, like as interesting and as appealing as show hal Tani is, Show Hay is. Really he's kind of a low key person. You know, if we're just talking about some face of the league type of shit, he should show up and do his job. You're going to need something else, you know, other than that, even something as simple. So like for the last two years with MLB Network, right, I've hosted the All MLB Awards show where they have something as simple as twenty thirty athlete in the building and you know what, we're gonna give y'all some trophies. The season just ended, Come onto the room, get the trophy. And they're building it eventually to be their version of the NFL Honors. Right. First year was fine, it was cool. Second year, way more players showed up. We got Sholta to sing Sheolta Imanaga from the Cubs. We got him to sing those Cubs Go, which doesn't seem like a big deal. But this is a reserve Japanese dude. It's just over a low key to throw fastballs. He's performing. He's coming out of his shell. So if he'll come out of his shell, then maybe the rest of y'all won't be so tight, and then y'all will come out and kick it. Because baseball players a low key. They the funniest, oh four.
Speaker 1: They have a lot of personality.
Speaker 2: It's just I do think that they're often discouraged from that and they could be a little guarded, and I get it. Depending on the media market too, is that where they may not feel quite as free to you know, because it's then he would become under scrutiny and all this kind of stuff, and a lot of players just don't want the hassle of you know, people scrutinizing what they wear and what they say, and like, they may not want the hassle, but I, like yourself, I have been around baseball players in those off air like everybody's not around moments, and those cats they also have incredible stories because people have to realize baseball players when they're on the road, you know, like they're in cities three four days.
Speaker 1: Like they can have whole families about ten cities. Be there men.
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah, so it's a little bit different experience and the stories they tell.
Speaker 1: I promise you it's like some of the best shit you've ever heard.
Speaker 6: Here's what I'm trying to say, Baseball needs an Anthony Edwards m and I don't know who that could be. Mookie bet to Steph Curry. He's exceptional and likable, million dollar a smile. That's important. But you also need chaos, Negro.
Speaker 1: You need is a chaos agent.
Speaker 6: He told he talked to you saw the clip of him talking to Obama. He was talking to Obama like that was his little brother. Oh yeah, you what you did? You kill Ben Laden? That's what's up. You can't dunk though. That ain't literally what he said, but but it's fun. You don't know what's gonna come out of his mouth. He's not a feeling. I'm just saying he is himself authentically at all times, and he's allowed to be that without penalty.
Speaker 1: Right. That's why three dollars worth of fines already because.
Speaker 6: All the time, God forbid, you take too long jogging around the bases in a home run strut and somebody get mad at you. Josh Chisholm at home or he do a euro step. And this is when he was with the Marlins. They was eighty games out of first place, and he was still he can't carry it along, like somebody got to help them. And I just I just really feel like the sport benefit like when you talk about like somebody like even say Ronald Lacuna, who you know, we're talking like Latin players. Now, let them have their flair, let them be who they are, let them style around the basis, and that will eventually bring in the next generation of people. And there's so many there's just so many people also the baseball writers too, you know, who had just held bent on the game being played a certain way. And I just think that you have to be very careful with tradition because sometimes tradition is just dead people's baggage and it's not going to benefit you.
Speaker 2: I'm glad you said that because that actually brings about another interesting conversation that's.
Speaker 1: Been had in the NBA.
Speaker 2: And I'm not sure if you saw it, but we're just how my Anthony Edwards who said that he really didn't want to be the face of the league, all right, although that's a process where you're more chosen as.
Speaker 1: Opposed to you choosing to do it.
Speaker 2: So like if people decide he's a face, he's a face, and there's really nothing he can do about it. Lebron, on the other hand, responded by saying he doesn't blame Anthony Edwards a feeling that way because he said, like who would want to be the face? And it brought up this really interesting conversation because a lot of people think that part of what's holding the NBA back and why you know, when you watch NFL coverage, for example, like those NFL guys like they ride for the NFL, Like for the most part, they will definitely be critical, but they ride for it. When you look at NBA coverage by large, people are brutally honest, like and really a lot of things.
Speaker 1: I think a lot of this.
Speaker 2: Is centered around how the inside the NBA guys, you know, how they commentate to talk about the game, which people love the fact that they're authentic, that they tell the truth, that they don't sugarcoat that they ain't bullshiting. But some people have wondered if the NBA conversation is often too negative and too toxic, and in part some of people blame history that because of there is is a reluctance to let certain things go, certain people go, like Michael Jordan, because of course his name, you know, surfers through all of it.
Speaker 6: He is the measuring he's the bar by which but is he so.
Speaker 2: Much the bar roer that naturally it leads to us tearing down greatness of everybody we don't feel like meets that bar and whatever way we measure it like, is the reverence and the fixation with Michael Jordan sort of bad for the NBA as we try to move to a place where the players of today are actually celebrated for their own greatness.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I think it's bad. I think that we don't appreciate what's happening now based on the rules and the dynamics of now versus that era. And then you got people that's older than you and me that will just scream Bill Russell until the day they die, because Bill Russell also fought racism on the way to the stadium every day and that's a different type of stress. So you know, we could argue different generations, but I think the across generation arguments are not fair to the current day players. I do think the dynamic of the criticism, though, I think that that's interesting. I think you have to take that with a grain of salt if you're a current player, because also there's not nearly as many frank and verbally blatant players as there are now covering the game as there was in the eighties and nineties. You give what I'm saying, like most basketball pre game shows and postgame shows, and it's not The NBA is an anomaly because they found very opinionated players who had the respect of the sport, who would like Charles Barkley is the only like, that's one of the few people that could come in and say those things and make those accusations and make those assessments because it comes from a technical it comes from a technical place. I'm trying to think like they're like doctor j never gotten the move to critique Jordan. If I'm trying to compare like overlapping type errors, you get what I'm saying. So I just don't think I don't think that it's realistic to expect people to be as kind as they were when hate is what sales and these are media companies and they are looking for engagement. This is debate culture. They will pull a question out, they ask on a slow day, Ain't nothing more fun than watching sports debate shows in June when it's only baseball? Oh, their motherfuckers be scraping the bottom of the barrel. They refuse to talk about mid season baseball because it ain't.
Speaker 1: That's what bear you be like, Damn yes, yes, and.
Speaker 6: They will have two breaks about Lebron versus Bear. I think that being the face of the league is always going to come with some degree of criticism and staying culture is also part of the problem too. Let's not forget. I don't think it's all on the broadcasters. I think the broadcasters feel the fire a bit, but it's also fans. Some of y'all are weird. Some of y'all are weird, only riding for one person for the rest of your life, like this is a gang. None of these players know you, none of them truly care. Just appreciate the sport and the fact that you got Lebron putting up x y Z NUM. I think Lebron round the corner from fifty k points. By the time this podcast air, he'll have it and it's gonna be people going, well, he needed more games than Jordan to do it. Jordan did. Imagine if Jordan came out of high school, Jordan wasted full years at playing for Dean Smith. So if that makes you feel good to argue and belittle it and what about it, I just think that you're denying yourself an opportunity, you know, to enjoy this. But you have to have some degree of honesty, you know, if they're going to ride on him, be about about taking too many games off. That's a fair assessment. If you feel like y'all shouldn't be taken like if a player goes, y'all shouldn't be taking this many games off because the fans paid blah blah blah blah blah. Well, that's a different mindset from the nineties NBA that we came upon. Also, the contracts are much more lush, so you might have people that are a little bit more lazy and a little less incentivized to lose way to do a push up. Maybe that's what happened with Luca. So if that's the case, as an analyst, I think it's your job to call stuff as you see it, and I just think the dynamics of the support have changed. But at the end of the day, I think that it's on the fans to appreciate what's happening because the talent and the people in these media companies and the producers, they're not going to just glorify everybody because that's not ratings and that's not profit. And we paid a gajillion billion dollars for the rights to show this NBA game, and I'm going to create whatever story in narrative I need to create so that your ass tune in, because that's all I care about. Most companies don't care about goodness or or doing the right thing. I think that's one of the things. I think that's one of the places where we fail. Media as a whole is expecting media to be wholesome and have morals. It is not. And that and that's not just sports media. We're talking media, We're talking news as a whole.
Speaker 5: You know, like the.
Speaker 6: Idea of doing what you believe is the most profitable thing, even if it's not the right thing that's always been them of media.
Speaker 1: That is a.
Speaker 2: I got a lot to say about that, but I'm gonna wait. We're gonna take a quick break, Roy, and we're going to come back, and we're going to get into that, especially in light of some of the changes that we're seeing at other networks. And I definitely want to get into how I got news for you as well.
Speaker 1: Very much enjoying this season, So we're get into all of that. But break, I know she said it off. I wanted to ask.
Speaker 2: You about that episode too, But yes, we'll take a quick break and we'll be back with more from Roywood Junior. Okay, Ry, before we took a break, you said that like media is about profit, and you're right. The problem is and where the lines get and maybe where I'm a little bit more emotional about it or I'm less of that mindset is because you're completely right. The problem is when I decided to become a reporter in college, journalism very much.
Speaker 1: Was considered to be a public good.
Speaker 2: You know, it wasn't really supposed to be this huge four profit industry that it became. You know, I compared to maybe the NC double A right, the NC DOUBLEA started off quote unquote amateur to some degree, never with the imagination that one day this would be billions of dollars in this sport, which as more money came in is sort of changed.
Speaker 1: What was the goal and what was the mission?
Speaker 6: Correct?
Speaker 2: And I just don't know if journalism and media and those are two separate things.
Speaker 1: If you're talking about media, yes, media is p profit.
Speaker 2: I just don't know if journalism can be that not if it's in the way that it's supposed to.
Speaker 6: Well, it's supposed to function like that, but then media we also have to separate the difference between journalism and editorial, punditry, things like that, and I think that those things emerge together as well. And I think that's part of the issue, is that the average person watching a news channel can't tell the difference between opinion and fact, and I think that's part of where well, if they if the people don't care, well, then let's just give them whatever the hell they're willing to consume, and then let's collect the dollars on the backside with the ads. I really do not like the fact that most media companies are not tied to just telling the truth just for the sake of telling the truth. If you look at before we even get the MSNBC, let's let's let's let's get in on Jeff Bezos with everything. With the Washington Post, you have the opinions page. The opinions page is supposed to be the one little corner of the paper where anybody can say whatever the fuck they feel for as long as they meet the word count. You got correct punctuation, you should be able to say exactly what it is you feel. And you got Bezos going, nah, if you on some different shit, we ain't putting that in the paper. That's not journalism anymore. It's not it's not. And so you look at you look at a lot of these media companies and I feel like they are definitely succumbing to the pressure of whatever appeace is shareholders or whatever gets ratings. And when you look at when you look at certain networks and you look at certain people on those networks, the network can go, Okay, you're a good journalist, and good journalism should ruffle a few feathers. But if you don't want a feather ruffle in there because you think they're ultimately they're well, you don't you call people out and we don't. We don't want that. You gotta go. Don't tell me. Joy Reid's firing was about ratings. Don't tell me that, Like, that's not I choose not to believe it. And this is coming from Comedy Central, where I've seen I've been on ratings calls and in ratings meetings, and I've gotten the emails good good news gained, We're up fourteen percent and seventy one to seventy three year old. You can spin ratings into whatever kind of victory or loss you want it to be. It's like ratings is like somebody's outfit. You can just say it looked nice, so you can say it look bad and that's the truth. So it's surely more involved in that. And so when you start looking at the idea of what quote good journalism is, like we joked last night, we we joked the other day on CNN. We were talking about Gail King going to space, right, and you know, Gail King for to go to space in one of the Bezos rockets, and I jokingly but kind of serious mentioned Joy Reid. And basically basically what I said on my show is that you know, if you're a black woman and you're good at journalism. They trying to trying to get rid of it. Don't don't go to space Gail, because they got joy and now they're trying to get to like one by one. And so I think that good journalism to a degree and asking the right questions to a degree. I think a lot of companies are starting to find that to be baff of business. And I think that business is appeasing the government and staying out of their crosshairs because they believe that the government will ultimately put them in a fucking figure full leg lot. That creates a space where they feel like they can no longer make money. And then you spend in you spending googabs of of money in court. You know. But it's it's media is in a weird position because of what the White House is doing. Like I saw on Twitter one day, I don't even know it's the Associated Press back in the White House briefing room. Yet are they still still.
Speaker 2: Out like they were not in the the Zelensky Trump JD.
Speaker 6: Vans Okay, so then you have people in there, of course. So I saw somebody on Twitter that was saying that the press should stand with the Associated Press and no longer cover the White House. And to me, that's a tough that's a tough one, you know. And I think that there in lies the issue, Like if you look at me, where I am a part of the media, I'm on Seeing in which a lot of people don't like. I see the comments sometimes when I post clips from the show like we love you Roy, but I ain't watching that network. I watch it on YouTube, seeing in still getting the money from YouTube? Thank you?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 6: How do you fight while still trying to honor your own mission? How do you fight for your colleagues while still trying to honor the mission of serving the people or enriching the people, or doing whatever it is you believe it's the right thing to do to make the world a better place. And I think that's the issue that a lot of journalists are going to be up against in their newsrooms. I really think that for what happened to joy Read, I really think that there is a greater dialogue to be had at the state and local levels about all of the shit starters with a pad and a pen who trying to find the truth. Are you answering to an editor that answers to a conglomerate that owns the paper that don't want that type of stuff in there. Assuming that you're at a paper that still has a local reporter, correct, because most of those are gone.
Speaker 1: Most of those are gone.
Speaker 2: And I am firmly starting off as someone who started off in newspapers, local newspapers. If you look at the number of jobs that are lost in different industries, journalism is among the highest, and a lot of it is because of what has happened at the local level, and not just with newspapers, but with also with TV. And as I've said to people many times, especially those who who kind of they hate the idea paying for a subscription because everybody was.
Speaker 1: Like, well, we used to get this for free, now you gotta pay.
Speaker 2: Well, that's because good journalism is actually expensive, very expensive. It's why a lot of companies are getting out of it because of what it costs. If they can get the same amount of money by just having somebody on their spouting and opinion, being it informed or not informed.
Speaker 1: They're gonna do that because that costs money.
Speaker 2: Like I think people would be stunned at how much a show like sixty minutes costs it costs a ton of money to do that show, and it's the same at the local level.
Speaker 1: Investigative journalism is hard. It requires a lot of money.
Speaker 2: And when you don't support those those kinds of media outlets, what happens is you don't know what's happening in your community. You don't know who's mind in the store. And trust me when I tell you, politicians, CEOs, all the people in power love the idea of destroying journalism because there's.
Speaker 1: So much you wouldn't know.
Speaker 2: You know, even now with all that's happening with Doge, the number of people I read in the comments who are like, where are the journalists and why are they reporting?
Speaker 1: Oh, I can tell you why they're not.
Speaker 2: It's because, you say, people who now all of a sudden want the journalists to come in with the kpone are the same ones also calling us the enemy the state, who are also saying that we don't deserve to have our jobs.
Speaker 1: Like no, no, no, no, no, no no, that's not the way that this works. So you're right.
Speaker 2: Is a very hard time in this business for journalists, period, very hard time for black journalists, super hard time for black journalists who have called out Trump before or who have.
Speaker 1: Gotten in his crosshairs or that of this administration.
Speaker 2: Period, because these companies have shown they're not gonna ride with you. They're not They're gonna sacrifice you and put you on the spital like anybody else.
Speaker 6: I said at the Correspondence dinner two years ago that the problem with the truth reaching people is that the truth is behind a paywall, but opinions are free. Put the opinions behind the paywall, and the first people to suffer when these situations happen are reporters that cover black and brown communities. We had a story we were trying to do right before I left Daily Show where they were doing ice raiates early. This is Biden ice ray, this is just regular deportation stuff. Latinos, there were Latinos in Atlanta had formed strategies against ice raids on how to lay low. They had their own car pools. They weren't going to the bus stop. They have their own ecosystem on how to move in plane sight but in hiding. So that's my guy to help me figure out how to tell the story. At the state level, he got laid off and so you know, they're not going to talk to me because I'm from the Big Bad pairamount and it's daily show, so it's weird. You don't know if I'm making fun of you. So I needed that reporter as the middle man vouch to even be able to amplify the story. It's same thing with the Chicago South Side stuff that we was doing. We was walking the south Side talking with people who intervened on game beats for volunteer, So it was a local reporter from the Tribune that plug like, you're not getting that type of access at the national level without a local vouch. And so those people are important, but those are the people covering those stories and telling those stories about us. They're the first ones to get let go. And I don't think that that's going to change. The thing that's frustrating, though, is that for the one side we can go, a conglomerate is not going to promote truth and journalism across the board because they go, oh, well, that's not profitable, or we're going to anger some people, either our shareholders or some shareholder who doesn't agree with the story, investors, or we're going to anger the White House. So we're not going to cover that story. But then you have media at the local level who have to have a paywall to survive. But even with the paywall, it gives you even fewer subscribers, which restrict your ability to do your mission, which is to inform the people, and eventually you die off anyway, or you have to keep cutting costs to the point where you're just running wire stories. So it's like on both ends of the sword. Money. I believe it's part of the issue, but I just I don't know if we'll ever be especially under Trump, if we're ever gonna you're not gonna get subsidized no journalism anymore.
Speaker 2: No, It's it's that that is a did conversation for them.
Speaker 6: Kids ain't getting lunch at school, They about to not get lunch free, lunch about to be gone, so they definitely not paying to have Like God bless PBS. I know they.
Speaker 2: I don't think the majority of their funding comes from the government. They do have a chunk and you see already they talking about defund PBS.
Speaker 1: I'm like, guys, Sesame Street.
Speaker 2: Can't live, Like what do we do make like it can't live? I mean it was already I think it was already on its last legs. As it was, but I want to get to some political stuff real quick. And for those who don't know, Roy's got a great show. Who knew that politics could be fun and not so traumatizing? Thanks to I have, I got news.
Speaker 1: Appreciate De Roy.
Speaker 2: You're one of the few political programs I could actually watch what I wanted to, you know, kind of slam my face into.
Speaker 1: A brick wall. But you know what I would love.
Speaker 2: I saw the episode after this, but just for this forum here, as you're watching this Donald Trump, you know, President Zelinsky from Ukraine and JD Van's meeting.
Speaker 1: As you're watching this, what is going through your mind?
Speaker 2: I need to know, Like I wish I could get the wood mental play by play that was happening as you are watching this shit show go down, uh in front of the American people.
Speaker 6: So for reference, Trump Zelensky went at it about noon, one o'clockish on Friday. We tape at six pm on Fridays. We were in the middle of rehearsal, and then after a rehearsal, they go Trump's a girl, trumpets Elynsky got into it and they was cussing each other out. We got to rewrite the whole top of the show. So you know, I duck off with the writers and just watching clips, just watching clips and were just reading body language. But you got it. Remember, like the giff and curse of what we do as CNN on Saturday nights is that my job is to just tell you what happened. For the people who haven't watched the show, it's a fake ass game show that quiz you on the news. That's it this week, this happened, Who said it, who did it, Who's respond that's it. It's just it's a speed read of the week that was the downside is that we really can't get into the weeds the way John Oliver did or the way Bill Maher did you know SNL had Elon jokes flying through. Elon wasn't even at the meat. So they can go to crazy town and be funny, but we just have to inform you. So it's just looking at what happened and then picking out the moments. Lensky made the eyebrow when Trump said he's respected. Jd Vance keep coming in like the little homie trying to get respect, acting like you know. Jd Vance was like talking to Zelenski like he was the one that's got the gun. You know, I mean, you know how you see like like two dudes yelling the dude and this one dude, yeah, and I'm clean. We know you don't have a gun. Stop it, stop it, you know like that that was fun to watch, But then in the back of your head you still like, damn this my star World War three dollars.
Speaker 1: This shit is I said by it's like America.
Speaker 2: This season of America would be great if I didn't actually live here. Like if I didn't actually live here, it would be great.
Speaker 6: I think part of the issue with war though, and I don't and I don't know quite how to fix this, but from a journalistic standpoint, I don't feel like we truly show people what war it looks like, Like like so I go down weird Reddit rabbit holes. All right, I've seen and I've always been weird like that, Like I just I can't explain it. But like when you see like can't sold your cell phone footage from Guantanamo or al Qaeda beheading or or like carnage and I rat and isis like videos like once you get into the house you bombed that they only show you on the wide shot in the country music video, and then you see footage from a soldier's go pro and you see what board does, and you see what bombs do. When you see what these weapons actually do to the human body, it's hard to be on board with anything that could lead to more of that. And you know, there's a reason why even with the footage in Gaza and Israel, they do it on a wide shot, they're painted real fast, just say, oh, yeah, it was a bun you just like, for the most part, we associate rubble with war. That's all they show you is just rubble. Pick a country and they just show you rubble, and that somehow makes it more politically digestible. But I think if regular everyday Americans saw what could potentially happen on it, Like if you ain't queasy at heart, motherfucker, go google drone bomb footage. Pick a country that like, and it's you know, it's really dark, though some of that shit still be funny. There was a video I know comedians are darker. There was a video of a Ukrainian drone above a Russian soldier and the drone itself is the bomb. Like you just fly down to Den't the right and the bomb is above him, and the Russian soldier looks up at the drone and he knows a rap, He know it's a rap. I fucker hold his hand up to the drone. My fucker pull out a new port that took a drag and then nodded at the drone and that was that. Like, it's so odd to see shit like that up close. The media, in the news media would be doing people, I think, a valuable service. It's terrible, it's horrible. Bit if you show the carnage of war just a little bit more, I don't know how gung ho we be. And don't forget, in war, our troops die too. And so there is an element of this, the visual sanitization of human conflict that that has happened that I think has made us all far more content with war because it's all electronic and it's drones and it's in for reds. And then they show you, you know, here's a WAT shot of the bomb, and like, no, go take that camera on up in there, show it to people for real, because only time you get the real shit. Now it's a documentary. And then it wins an Oscar, it wins an Oscar because it's powerful, because you cannot ignore it. There was a there was one a few years ago called the White Helmets. That's a dope one that everybody should see. The White Helmets are this group of people who want to building this bomb. We are the ones who are first responding to pull people out of the rubble. And there's and there's munitions that still have not gone off that sometimes still go off or they come back and bomb a place after the fact. So you know, I think that how war is covered could help to contribute to ending some wars. But that's also that's a tough thing to push on somebody who's just watching the news. And then Family Feud is coming on right after. That's why they put them game shows on. I used to joke about that on stage. They put game shows on right after the evening news so you feel better. And then it goes right into sitcoms like the idea that you can know everything that's fucked up in the world and now we'll a fortune. I'm sorry, what right, didn't we just bombed up? Yes we did, and now the whole new episode or the family Feud, Hey, y'all, you boss Steve Harvey hope you enjoyed that war coverage. It's tired to play the feud, you know, don't I don't know, but you know, again showing war with that level of truth. I don't know if that's good for business.
Speaker 2: Now we're in this in this political environment that can be you know, as we just talked about a little bit tenuous. You're in a different space for it because you are a comedian, but you're a comedian that also tells the truth and is also very politically aware.
Speaker 1: What do you think was the key for you kind of finding where you fit in this moment?
Speaker 6: Mm hmm. I've just tried to be who I am. You know, there's a there's an Alabama, Alabama's first black millionaire, A G. Gaston. He huge philanthropists, was a supporter of the civil rights movement. He had he had a hotel in Birmingham, the Gaston Hotel, where most civil rights leaders stayed when they came to time because it was a safe like on some green book type ship like that was a safe place, and you know, and soldiers would line up black panthers or whatever to protect the spot and all of that. But he's always poured his money into the community and used his money to back people that were fighting. You know, he had a series of boys clubs and he had a quote. His quote was finding need and fill it. And that's just what I've lived by. Like they used to preach that to us when we was little kids at the boy at the ags and boys club and that's just stuck with me. And so for me, I've always just tried to use humor as a vehicle to to me, the perfect joke or the perfect message informs white people or non black people, informs white people to something they didn't know, and then it gets black people to go. That's what I've been trying to tell you. So my first three stand up specials were just race and politics and the country and all of that stuff. The one I just did for Hulu that was more about us on a human level. You know. I called it Lonely Flowers. That's what we are. We're all beautiful, we don't talk to each other, well, we don't come together no more. And so this idea of trying to use what we're going through as a people as a vehicle for humor. It's hard, but I enjoy it because there's also not a lot of people doing it like this. You know, when I first got to Daily Show and I got to like really give Trevor Noah a shout out for this, because you know, when I got to Daily Show, you know, I think the biggest difference between me and Trevor as black men is that I'm very angry as a person. I don't show it a lot like people don't like you know me, you ain't never seen me in a bad mood and nothing like that, but very angry about what's happening in this country and what's going on in this country. But I'm not a yeller. I'm not a fighter. That's not my strategy for me. It's humor. And if I can use humor, if I can make it funny, if I can make the point and make it funny, I feel like I'm as effective as anyone that chooses to be a sledgehampan. So my approach to any issue is first to figure out a way to find some sort of entry point that tricks you into paying attention to the actual punch that's coming behind it. So, you know, when I started a Daily Show, first piece we did was me and Jordan Clapper doing a ride along with the Madison Police Department. They just shot an unarmed black man four months prior. Let's see if there's some humor there. Y'all taking biased training. No, I want to take the trainer. Bring the cameras, Oh, twentieth anniversary million mare march. I want to go, Hey, traffic, can I go cools, take the cameras, see what's going on, and so to be able to try and find humor in these very you know, unfunny situations, especially unfunny situations for black people, like we was man, we was down in the far As a cop city in Atlanta. These folks out the dying and shootouts with the police, trying to keep them from building a police training facility that's ultimately going to flood black neighborhoods downstream state. The cameras and to me, I don't know, I take I take. I take pride in that because there's not a lot of people doing that this way in comedy or in journalism. I kind of sit on, you know, a weird a weird line. But I think I have a unique ability to reach and connect with people who wouldn't have necessarily seen the point I was trying to make coming and to me, that's an important part of whatever the hell it is we're supposed to be fighting for. I think one problem is that, you know, I think with the race talking Black Americans specifically, we're often quick to critique how other people choose to approach this fight, as if they're not in the fight. That shit I don't like, but it's nothing I can do about it either. It's like it's like when so I did a ride along with Compton Fire during the LA wildfires, Compton the LA County Fire Department, Engine sixteen, and Compton, they're having to cover twice as much space. They have to cover twice as much area because all of the other firefighters is up the hill fighting the big shit, right, and so there's still regular emergencies happening. Still car crashes, still, regular house fires, Still car you know, still my fucking drove into the river. Gotta go get them. At no point do the people up the hill. Do the firefighters come up the hill, come down the hill, and that's the other firefighters, what have they been doing? And say that they're not doing enough? And I think that sometimes when you look at it's easy to look at black people who aren't necessarily in the same part of the battlefield as you and assume that they aren't fighting. And I think that's that's a big it's a big misunderstanding to me. With an I race, it doesn't stop me from my approach. My approach is my approach, Like that's what I do. I think that's what makes us special. I think it's it's no different than bees. You watch the honey, you go get the pollen. You niggas fight the hornets if they come over here, trip and do your job, and so like, that's to me, what's beautiful about us is that at the end of the day, it's still all about just better in our race and better in the country as a whole. If black folk's good, America good. I wish more people understand that.
Speaker 2: What made you Because Lonely Flowers is funny, but it's also very thoughtful. I mean a lot of your comedy is, but this especially because I think you know, when we look back on even if we were able to look back on it now within not being that long ago, but when we look back on behaviorally, how much COVID changed us and how it made us even more isolated, made us more even more tribal maybe to some degree. It is really something that I think, you know, psychologically, we will understand a major mood shift in this country. What made you decide even though you did tell a story that kind of felt like it was what ignited this, But you know, nevertheless, given the type of comomity, do this to me was still a bit of a departure.
Speaker 1: What made you decide that you were going to focus.
Speaker 2: Something that was funny but around the themes of us being more isolated, us being more lonely, us creating more space from one another.
Speaker 6: Yeah, we're disconnected, and we're happy to be disconnected. Like would rather not Like I joked about it in a special like you don't want nobody calling you about the blue You used to look forward. You used to look forward to unknown numbers. Who could it be? I built my whole prank call career.
Speaker 1: Oh can you imagine you to start that now? Ry like somebody ever pick up the phone?
Speaker 6: Impossible, There's no way you could do prank calls now. Nobody cared to answer the phone. So I had at a partner from college, and we if you would have asked me in college, I would have figured to be his best man at his wedding and he got engaged and I didn't even get an invite, and so I'm mad enough to say that hurt so so I called him up and we talk about it for a minute, and basically what it boiled down to was You're never around. You never have time anytime. Even when you come down this way for a show, you don't even have time for a drink after the show. You don't have like basically going There have been so many times where I've tried to connect with you that you rebuffed or just whatever, whatever the situation was. The answer ended up being no, that I just don't figure you to even want to be a part of anything. And it was such a fair assessment of where I was, and you know, the way I've been carrying myself that I don't know. I had to do a little bit more self inventory about being intentional because I did, like, no, I can care about you like this is like you want people supposed to be carrying a casket when I die. I got you down. I put you on the casket carried list, and like, I need to work on this relationship. So you look at I looked at that, and it just forced me to take a long look at myself, and then it's just like, oh wow, we're all disconnected. Don't nobody want to talk to nobody? Like we're just literally looking for comfort, like even like even when you think about like dating, right, and the idea that like you correct me if I'm wrong, I don't remember seeing this many single women with dogs and cats, like in my twenties, the forty year olds, I know, they didn't have the dogs. They didn't have no like the idea of pouring love into something like that's it gives you a sense of worth, It gives you a sense of purpose. This weird shit about being Polly or like Neo's four girlfriends, all right, is it weird? Or just did all five of them just go Hey, this feels good, so fuck it, let's do it. That wasn't the norm a generation to go two generations ago. So I'm less inclined to knock people that behave like that, because at least they're trying to find some form of connection and polyamory. Like the idea that you're supposed to get everything emotionally and physically from one person. Maybe that's not completely true. And your grandparents get the best they could, because that was the options back then. Your granddaddy didn't have black people meet to go sneak off and find Yeah, I mean just case in point, like your granddaddy had a family around the corner. Nowadays that family is in another country. That's what technology has done. Like, I just think that it became easy to have food delivered to your house. And the fact that even something as simple as like that's why I like nobody, Like I don't think most men will admit it, but like you ever see like these videos for like man camps and come to be your man? Oh, there's like I forget what it's called, but it's like a bunch of men in the forties and fifties doing UFC shit in the forest and punching and hugging and forcing themselves through task and then they hug and cry it out afterwards. It's because you lonely, but you never had a hug, You never had a real connection, and as a man, nobody probably ever checked on you. Because you're the man. You got to provide and finally you in a space where a bunch of people understood you. As weird as it is, I get because it's just people seeking community. Now, some of the people that run them camps little January sixth vibbish. But I understand why men would even pay two hundred dollars to cry in the forest with a bunch of dudes and flip dump truck tires up and down a hill because you need connection. And I don't know, I just felt like, oh, this might be funny because when you look at the retail experience and that was forced social interaction, you know, like I don't even think it made it into the special but like jokingly, the only two places where it feels okay to talk to a stranger is a sporting event and a protest, and that's because you there rooting for a team.
Speaker 2: I mean, I could not disagree or I could not agree with you more, especially when you talked about these self checkout.
Speaker 1: I hate self checkout on the level that is this. It's it's probably frightening because.
Speaker 2: I'm like, I work here, Like if I what is the point of be coming to the grocery store if I got a bag my own ship, It's just like, why did I do this?
Speaker 1: I'm like, I came so someone else could back and check me out.
Speaker 6: And you do it wrong. That's why I'm glad they're stealing steal all that ship so they can bring back cashiers.
Speaker 1: Good said, And I like you. I did.
Speaker 2: The grocery store I go to most frequently. I have my three favorite cashiers. I always go.
Speaker 6: That's old schoolers. Hell, nobody has that anymore.
Speaker 2: Oh, yes, I have three, Like I love each of them. Like we chit chat about sports by whatever. Like you know, it's just like a quick, little little interaction. You get to hear a different voice than your own, or in my case, the different voice than me and my husband's own, Like you know, just it's just like a little.
Speaker 1: A little interaction.
Speaker 2: And I enjoyed that sort of cheers kind of feel where everybody knows your name type of thing. So so I hear you about that.
Speaker 6: I'm at the age now, Jamail. I don't even get mad if somebody next to me talk to me on the.
Speaker 2: Plane, what okay, see now you're going too far? Maybe you need a dog.
Speaker 6: That's where your I don't. I don't mind it. I don't If they don't recognize me, I don't tell them I do entertainment. I tell him I do. I install home security systems because there's no follow up questions.
Speaker 2: But no more follow up questions because they're not like, oh hey, what do you think about?
Speaker 1: You know, how should I do my home?
Speaker 6: If I want to prevent like really it's crazy out there man, you know. But what you gotta get. You can't just get the motion detection camera. She got to hide one and get like I will just go on and on, like I'll just pull dialogue. Oh I don't want to. I tell you, I'm go down these reddit rabbit holes. When you get to the hotel rooms, turn the clocks to the walls. You gotta double check the phones. There's a little stud finder thing and you can check for signals and the walls and that. Like in one you start talking like that, people leave you alone.
Speaker 1: Interesting.
Speaker 6: You gotta like be really crazy.
Speaker 1: Before I get you out of here.
Speaker 2: Since you're the you are the king of being able to answer sort of random questions.
Speaker 1: This is a question I've been dying to ask you.
Speaker 2: Okay, if we had like a UFC type fight between an employee from Spirit Airlines and an employee from waffle House, who will ins.
Speaker 6: And why waffle House off reps alone? Spirit waffle House?
Speaker 1: They get they get some.
Speaker 6: Yeah, but I think the thing we have to remember is that most of the time with the Spirit videos, it's the passengers fighting, whereas you don't really see the flight attendants from Spirit jump in all the time. Where's a waffle house that cook is gonna be right there in the middle of it. You saw that girl catch that chair, Like damn avenger through that chair that she caught it? Like, what you're gonna do with that? Besides me, mad, I think if we go in customer for customer, though, I think a more fair matchup is Spirit customer versus waffle house customers.
Speaker 1: Oh who you got a.
Speaker 6: I think the Spirit person wins only because when you're traveling, you're already angry, so that's like steroids like when you angry, like when you're dealing with the anger of travel and then somebody piss you off. Because you also got to remember like waffle house fights. If you have a bid at a waffe house, when I fight start, they start real fast, like the customers already come in irate, and then it just jump off Spirit. You've been fucked with. In the parking lot, they charge you for luggage. Then you go through TSA and taking your shoes off, you can pull it to the side secondary search. Then you get to the gate and then you find out you got to pay an extra thirty dollars for this carry on bag and you didn't know that. Then you find out the bag don't fit. Now you got to pay another thirty dollars to check the bag under the plane. Then they telling you you don't have it a sign, and then somebody come up to you talking crazy. You're already charged up, like it's like this is a terrible analogy because it wasn't the best villain, but it's Jamie Fox and that spider Man electro where you're just getting charged up, and then the more you hold the electricity, the stronger you get. That's a spirit Airlines customer. By the time you find a spirited Airlines customer who's ready to fight, they have gone through so many gauntlets of bullshit to get to that point. They have super strength that I believe would supersede whatever alcohol is in the bloodstream of a waffle house employee or a waffle house customer.
Speaker 1: That is very that's very a student analysis. I think you're right.
Speaker 6: Anger beats Tennessee every time travel anger.
Speaker 1: You need to put that on a T shirt.
Speaker 2: Travel Anger beats Tennessee everything you need to put that on a T shirt.
Speaker 1: That's all you, all right? And finally, boy, last question.
Speaker 2: Every guest that appears on politics, I asked you what I call a messy question, the question designed to get you in trouble to say some shit that will hopefully be a headline. So here is my Bessie question for you. All Right, you stayed in Memphis until you were in third grade. I know you've been in Memphis many times. You've been around the country many times. You grew up in the Ham aka Birmingham. Ye on your reputation, on your relatives alive and dead. Who has the better barbecue is in Memphis or Alabama?
Speaker 6: Why are you going to do? This?
Speaker 2: Is designed for this, Go ahead and say it with your chest.
Speaker 1: I'm sorry what you say. Hey, you wished that a little bit louder, because I think the people is Memphis.
Speaker 2: Memphis is with you said, huh okaymph.
Speaker 1: Memphis City. What in the name of mephis is happening right now?
Speaker 6: Memphis got legacy of Birmingham. Birmingham coming up. Birmingham is like I'm trying to think Birmingham is like the Buffalo Bills, like we're finally good again and we competitive, but we got a good team, but we ain't legacy like Memphis, Memphis.
Speaker 1: Memphis been y'all, Patrick Mahomes your whole your whole life.
Speaker 6: You know, like this will be an article in the Birmingham News in like two weeks. And then when I go to fundraise and raise money for the local Yeah.
Speaker 2: They're not gonna they taking all the pictures of you and your high school now right now, just because you you have to answer it that way.
Speaker 1: Well, Roy, I woant to thank you so much for joining me.
Speaker 2: You are again a bright light and exceptionally dark time, your comedy, your humor, your observations. For those who haven't seen it, please watch Lonely Flowers.
Speaker 1: It's great. It's and also if.
Speaker 2: You want a very serious, informed take on the news, but also you will get some laughs, make sure you watch a Roy show. Have I got news for you on seeing it with Amber the Great Amber Ruffins, Jasmine Crocket on there recently hilarious.
Speaker 6: Yeah, she went in on Elon and we stream on Max too, so y'all can play catch up over on Max.
Speaker 2: Yes, absolutely, it's a. It's a great show. So yes, y'all make sure that y'all check that out. And Roy, you take care. Are you on the road anytime soon?
Speaker 6: No, not really. I had a couple of dates, but I don't I ain't even put them on the website yet. I'm in Honolulu in June at the Blue Note, So go there and figure that out. Whatever the website say, that's what the ship is.
Speaker 1: That's what it is, that's what it would be. All right, Roy, take care. Thank you.
Speaker 6: I'm a marketing genius.
Speaker 3: Look at you.
Speaker 1: That's on some website subcity somewhere. I'm good.
Speaker 6: Appreciate that.
Speaker 1: Thank you.
Speaker 2: I appreciate you so much. And next time I'm in New York, I will make sure that I hit you up to see what you please do please, And at the very least, I'd love to come by and watch your taping because it's very funny.
Speaker 6: And come by. You need to be on. I'll talk to that.
Speaker 1: I'll let you know that because I would love to be because you know, I got jokes. People don't know that you.
Speaker 6: Do else I can be very funny.
Speaker 1: All right, take care.
Speaker 2: One more segment to go, and you guys know what that means I got questions to answer up next your viewer slash listener questions, and I have plenty of answers coming up next on the final segment of Spolatives. Now, I don't intend to turn this final segment into an obituary page, but unfortunately, this is another week where another significant sports.
Speaker 1: Figure has passed on.
Speaker 2: Last week it was former NBA player Junior and Bridgeman. This week it was George Foreman, who died at seventy six years old. Now, I'd say a pretty high percentage of people only know George Foreman for his grills, which, by the way, became a massive cultural success.
Speaker 1: That i'd say gave Foreman one of.
Speaker 2: The most successful postscripts to an athletic career in history. But before his name became synonymous with one of the best kitchen appliances ever.
Speaker 1: I'd say it's top five and not five.
Speaker 2: George Foreman was known as one of the hardest hitting boxers of all time, but it was Foreman's loss to Muhammad Ali in the historic nineteen seventy four Rumble in the Jungle that really changed the course of Foreman's life. The fight took place in what is now known as the Republic of Congo, marking the first time a heavyweight fight was ever held on African soil. It was where Ali regained his heavyweight title after he was stripped of the honor for his refusal to be drafted into the US Armed Forces.
Speaker 1: Now, at the time.
Speaker 2: Of Rumble in the Jungle, Foreman was undefeated and he was known as a major meaty, a real badass. But that loss to Ali was sort of life changing for Forman because it made him reinvent himself and at the startling age of forty five, in nineteen ninety four, Foreman became the oldest fighter to ever win the heavyweight title. Foreman fought his last fight in nineteen ninety seven, finishing his career with a seventy six and five record. But three years before Foreman called it quits in the ring, he did something that also changed his life as much as boxing did, if not more. It was in nineteen ninety four that he launched the George Foreman Grill. He went into a partnership with the grills creator, and Foreman reportedly made and estimated half a billion dollars from those grills. At one point he was making five million a month and I won't front. I still use mine to this day anyway. George Foreman will be remembered as one of the great ones. And I don't mean just in boxing.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 2: If you have a question for me, you can hit me up on social media or on email. I'm at Jamail Hill across all social media platforms, Twitter, Instagram, Fan based, Blue Sky, and threads.
Speaker 1: Please use the hashtags politics.
Speaker 2: You also have the option of emailing me as Politics twenty twenty four at gmail dot com. You can also send me a video of your question, but please make sure it's thirty seconds or less. Don't forget to subscribe and follow Politics on iHeart and follow us Politics Pod on Instagram and TikTok. Politics is spelled s po l I Tics. A new episode is Politics drops every Thursday on iHeart Podcasts or wherever you get your podcasts. This is politics where sports and politics don't just mix, they matter. Politics is the production of iHeart Podcasts and The Unbothered Network. I'm your host Jamail Hill. Executive producer is Taylor Shakog. Lucas Heimen is head of audio and executive producer. Original music first Politics provided by Kyle VISs from wiz FX,