Speaker 1: Welcome to another episode of Civic Cipher. I am your host, ramses job. He is Rams joh I mq ward. You are listening to Civic Ciphers.
Speaker 2: Listen.
Speaker 1: Indeed, very special episode today. We don't get to say that very often. We are two years old.
Speaker 2: Today, Well I'm actually I'm I'm forty but then on okay, so October.
Speaker 1: I'm forty two. You're right, you know, let me I should probably say that, well the show.
Speaker 3: Okay, the show is ten years old.
Speaker 2: Now I gooes too, and then if you round up, because my birthday's coming up, I'll be like forty one.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there you go.
Speaker 1: Man. So today we're going to celebrate. We're going to celebrate a lot of what has happened in the past year, in the past two years that we've been on the air, and we'll probably do a whole lot of thanking to you, our listeners, for supporting us. You know, that's saying something to have a radio show grow this big and be sustained and fortified by a listenership. You know, a basic of people that just tune in every week to listen to what we got going on and what we want to talk about. And we know we deal with heavy topics and subjects and so forth, So to have that support and to just be championed by you means a lot to us. So stick around. We will be discussing again some of the more positive things that have happened as a result of you know, all of our combined efforts, not just us, but yours and other great organizations. So we're going to look at the progress there. We're going to also spend some time discussing black media. You know, our show wouldn't exist if not for you know, the starting point was the Freedom Journal, the first black owned and operated newspaper in the United States, so we're going to spend some time talking about that as well. But you know, we like to start off with some Avenue excellence, So cue, how's that sound, sha we shall This week's Ebony Excellence is sponsored by Hip Hop Weekly Media and the story comes by US Sports Illustrated. I think you might know what's coming. We are going to celebrate some more black girl magic, like we like to do around here by talking about Serena Williams. So I will read a bit. We knew it was time for the Queen Goat Williams to lay down her rackets. She remains victorious in winning our hearts because she's the greatest of all time. Twenty two major championships later, several close calls for an additional title, injuries, disappointments, marriage and motherhood. It was a forty one year old body to have the final scene. Many young black girls have been watching her resilience and competitive nature, wondering if they could one day possess the heart of Serena Williams and will forever look up to her. Congratulations Serena Williams and family, especially King Richard, Queen of mother, sisters, brother and of course Venus. You all made many across the world extremely proud. From Comptony England, Francis, Spain, Africa to Australia. Williams family reigns Women's Tennis Royalty Supreme. Serena, please continue to hold court wherever you may be. You see you're still our queen for forever. In a day, Serena Williams definitely the greatest of our all time, yesterday, today and tomorrow. For those who don't know, she has retired at the end of a very celebrated career and she is the living embodiment of excellence, being committed to not just your craft, but to who you are, standing firm in the middle of yourself, owning your blackness, championing your blackness in spaces where it's sometimes difficult, challenging, et cetera. And if we can, we will take this moment to salute you, Serena Williams. You are absolutely of any excellence, And if all goes well, the rest of the show is going to sound just like that. I know, I'm excited because we don't often get to have sort of a celebratory tone around here. But again, turning two years old is really something special. I want to remind you that this show, we didn't expect this to happen, right We didn't expect to you know, this was that we didn't have like a master plan right here. I mean that's the part of the story that I stressed the most.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because of the way things worked out, it seems like some stroke of genius that we fled radio to start our own fledging, fledgling media empire. And it's like, no, there was no plan, there was no exit strategy. You know, we stood on principal, we stood on our compass and made the decision that we had to make just by grace that things worked out and we're in a space now we're, you know, celebrating two years later. Just seems really improbable because even that we started well, I mean, I don't even know if we've ever told this part of the story out loud, but I sat at Ramsey's dining room table and watched tears stream down his face as he said goodbye to not just a career. A lot of people have jobs and careers, but media, radio and broadcasting was Ramses's life. And because our people were being misrepresented and for what it meant to our culture that our home and radio told us no on the basis that what we were trying to do was black without hesitation, Ramsey said no. And you guys have to understand, there's a moment where it's like, yo, bro, did I make the right decision here?
Speaker 3: Sure?
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I'm like you made the only decision that you could make. Thank you for that, Q, you know what I'm saying. So that it worked out and that all these opportunities have presented themselves. Now, if you don't know that part of the story, it just looks like a struggle of genius like, man, that's dope with y'all, Dia, how y'all went and start a civic ciphering. Told them that you know that they knew what they could.
Speaker 1: Do, yes, like we did not know that.
Speaker 3: We had no idea.
Speaker 1: And for those of you who may not know the story, we tell the story from time to temper for those who don't know. In brief, basically, Q and I are broadcasters. We have a hip hop background for DJs. We work in radio. During the protest of twenty twenty, we went to our old employer and says, hey, we'd like to do a show that really speaks to the issues on the street. There's some people that we'd like to interview, et cetera. And after some roundabout, you know, misleading conversations, they ultimately said that they didn't want to do a black show. And this is when we decided to leave on principle as Q mentioned, and we resigned to the city rather than to the station. We wrote the letter to the city just letting everyone know that this is why we would not be heard on the radio anymore. And what we were trying to do was for them. We were trying to give them an hour a week just to at that time it was a half hour a week, so that you know, we could tell our own stories and we could challenge what you know, Channel twelve was reporting as a riot, which wasn't a riot because again we were out on the street, you know this. We felt the need for that. So, you know, to go from a moment where it's like, Okay, this chapter of my life is over all of the tickets I gave away, all the listeners that grew up listening to me on the radio, all of the you know, I tried my best the whole time I was a broadcaster for that part of my career to not let that define me, to not let that become a part of my identity. Rather, but there's no escaping there's no escaping that when you've done it for that long. It just because it's second nature. It's as natural as breathing.
Speaker 2: So I've always been blown away every time you remind me because you question that, even like in the wake of that decision, you're like, man, that is a part of my identity, and it blows me away that you didn't want that because you I saw the time that you committed to being good at it. So I'm like, what is he talking about? Like, how are you going to do this this well and it not be a part of your identity?
Speaker 1: Is it?
Speaker 3: Seemed? You know what I mean?
Speaker 2: Like I watched you commit more hours than anyone to being good at.
Speaker 1: That, So Mamba mentality is you know what I mean? I often told you, I joke with you even to this day. It's like a magician.
Speaker 2: Watching you work in that space, so that you commit that much time being good at it while also hoping that it didn't become a part of your identity.
Speaker 1: Seemed you know what it is though, q So. And this probably is indicative of I will say indicative of at least a facet of the black experience in this country at least, but I think it's also indicative of anyone's experience under capitalism, where you're in a corporate environment, you know, and you are at the bottom or in the middle, right or even at the top in some instances, but certainly the bottom of the middle. So going into radio, you know, two thousand and five was when I first got a chance to broadcast, and it was KKFR and Phoenix, which we're on now. So shout out to DJ Complex and my man.
Speaker 3: Eric over there.
Speaker 1: We you know, we all go back, Yeah, we all go back. So anyway, yeah, but yeah, complex, Eric Valdez, all these guys, they were doing power when I first got over there, you know. Five.
Speaker 3: And so.
Speaker 1: When you first get into radio, you realize how volatile the industry is, and there's lots of industries that are very volatile. Tomorrow's not promised in corporate America period. We all know that layoffs happen. We all know, you know whatever well radio is particularly, I don't know if insidious is the right word, but you get what I'm trying to say. So being the best kind of helps you to fortify your position, but it in no way guarantees a tomorrow fifty percent. You know, you might increase your odds by fifty percent, but it's not going to guarantee anything. And so I didn't want it to become a part of my identity because I knew that it could go away at any point in time, you know, and I I at the same time, I doubled down so that it would not go away, and then over time it becomes a part of your identity. I say that to say that walking away from it was obviously very emotional. You know I've shed tears on this show before. So if you, if you're a longtime listener, you know that this is a very emotional place. We have to tell real stories. We deal with life, and we deal with death. We deal with heavy topics here, and so I have no there's no shame in me letting you know that I obviously had I lost it a couple of times, having to walk away from how I did my family, what might made my family really proud of me and my friends and so forth, knowing that I would probably never talk on a microphone again. And I know that you felt the same weight of that. But I know you were kind of just moving with me. And I'll never ever be able to thank you enough for supporting me. You know, I knew that you. I know that you would and just like I support you, You and I have been a year. There was no other version of it, though, there was no version where that decision was being made, you know, in a vacuum with you by yourself like that was. That was us decision. Sure that I'd been disappointed if you felt like you couldn't make the decision because you didn't know which direction I leaned, Yeah, yeah, but it's still important to say it out loud because you know, even though it's a given, it still represents a sacrifice on your end as well. And so while you're acknowledging that, on my part, I want to make sure I say that for you. But you know, to go from essentially zero, well maybe not zero, but you know, we had some people who had they had come to know our names, but zero, no career, no no nothing, you know, no promise of tomorrow to now having a radio show that's on from the Atlantic Ocean to the Pacific Ocean, you know, where as far north as you know of state New York. I think we're on in the station in a couple of stations in Vermont, you know, so as far north as in Vermont, and as you know, obviously we're as far south as San Diego. You know, we crisscrossed the whole country. Now after two years and obviously tons of support, most of which comes from our listeners, is extremely humbling and we're really grateful and this is a very invigorating time and our careers in our lives because now rather than asking you to listen to the next commercial break and you know, giving away concert tickets or you know, doing celebrity gossip or things like that. We feel like we talk about things that really matter. Granted it's heavy stuff, but again we really feel like it matters. And there's another part of this too. And while we're here talking about this, I do want to say it. I'm not one of I'm not the most spiritual person in the world. That's not my way. But you know, sometimes there are things that happen that kind of make me feel like perhaps I have some favor with some sort of higher intelligence, higher power. And obviously having you know u Q and having such a storied career alongside you, our producer Maggie b Noan coming to the table and really helping lend that voice that we really needed in terms of writing our scripts, making sure that we account for things that we might have overlooked. You know, we can't articulate the pain that a mother might feel, you know, we can't. You know, there's certain things we can't do. But there's some other things that really, in hindsight, makes me feel like this was sort of.
Speaker 3: There.
Speaker 1: There was some there was some perhaps intelligent design behind this path, one of which is, you know, you mentioned this. This is a really small thing, but it's not insignificant to me, is that we had a treasure shove of elements that would really help us build out the show, frame it and then sell it to radio stations. But I think a more important, more foundational thing that happened was we've told the story before, so forgive me if you've heard it. But prior to us being told that our old station didn't want to do a quote black show, and it's a hip hop station, they didn't want to do a black show. Humh. Prior to being told that, two reached out to me. You know, once upon a time I had not done a lot of traveling in the US, only international travel, and I had an opportunity to go with Q to help them drive back a car. I think we went to go get your some fancy car that Q has. I don't remember which one was.
Speaker 3: That was what it was.
Speaker 1: Anyway, it was in Florida, and of course we're based in Phoenix, Arizona, and so he's like, hey man, you want to fly with me and drive the car back. And remember it's COVID at the time, you know, no one's outside. It's a way to get out of the house and check off a few states, which now I've obviously been off fifty states famously talked about that on the show as well, But at the time I had been to you know, four states or whatever. So this was a chance for me to you know, travel through the south, the southern part of the US and coming back to the to the city, coming back to Phoenix. We were pulled over in Mississippi and we because remember at the time, you got to think George Floyd had just gotten killed Breonna Taylor, you know, Ahmat Aubrey, where the country is dealing with these in real time, and then we get pulled over in the middle of the night in the darkest back road in Mississippi on our way to Louisiana.
Speaker 3: I need to add, just for those who are listening to us mentally, you know the darkest place that you thought of when he said that, Nah, it was darker. It was way darker than it was no moonlight. There was no moon The trees were.
Speaker 2: So big and so the greenery around us were so dense that moonlight couldn't get through.
Speaker 3: It was dark.
Speaker 1: And then all you hear is that Mississippi accident come from behind you, and we've told the story on the show. But anyway, this UH was an experience that Q and I both lived through. We went on I they pulled Q out of the car. Obviously the outcome were fine. They did it for no reason, but they pulled Q out of the car. We were pulled over for no reason really and certainly not enough reason to get taken out of the car. But I had my phone on UH Facebook and I was doing a Facebook Live and because we were bumping out cast driving through Mississippi and Alabama, you know, my battery was dead. So I'm on Facebook Live. Everyone sees there's police behind me, and everyone knows that we've been out protesting you know this, that and the other. They don't know. They don't know that we were in Mississippi. I have no idea where we are, and you know, obviously if something happens, we can't upload a video. So I got to go live. And then my phone dies, so all they see is Q walking backwards to the sound of a voice, and I'm in the car and then they come and pull me out of the car and I'm like, oh God, and then my phone goes.
Speaker 3: Is getting pulled out of the car the phone died. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Man, it was a scary time.
Speaker 2: So needless to say, once his phone got some battery, it might have been fifty something messages Hi Moarnette.
Speaker 1: Yeah, people were very upset, but that served as sort of a foundational experience that helped us launch the show off. And so I said that there were certain things that felt like divine placements in our life and you know, to whatever it is that has set us on this path, and maybe it's a collective consciousness. Maybe there is something greater that we don't know about that's not for me to speak on. I just want to take this moment to say that I'm very grateful to be able to share some of these things that I'm going to share with you that have taken place over the past couple of years. So, without further ado, let's talk about some positive things since we've been on the air. So h One thing that is I think very very important and was very much pivotal, is that Donald Trump was voted out and he relinquished his post relatively peacefully relative I know, January sixth, but relative, I mean, he could have did a lot work.
Speaker 3: Not relinquish his post, and it was not peaceful. Well, okay, if I'm gonna do anything for y'all that can hear there was no civil war.
Speaker 1: That's what I'm trying to say that that okay, Okay, then you say it better than me, Go ahead say it better.
Speaker 3: It was not peaceful.
Speaker 1: Well either way, he's gone. How about that? And obviously for us that subscribed to the notion that black peaceeople are valuable and special and precious, and that our lives are valuable and our lives have worth. Donald Trump and really his base being sort of galvanized behind you know, reclaiming America and and you know, kind of getting off these strange, bizarre ideas about them, you know, being replaced and you know, all this sort of strange stuff that puts a target on our back black people, brown people, anyone who's not white, Christian, you know, heterosexual, you know that sort of person. To have him out of office, that's obviously a huge thing. And that has happened since we've been on the air. COVID. You know, we had to deal with COVID, you know, for we had a few episodes. We're still we're still dealing with it. But the worst of it, you know, in terms of the numbers, the death numbers and so forth, that feels like it's largely behind us. And we had to do a couple of shows where we tried to do some convincing of black people to really get vaccinated, you know, and we had to take into account that black people's history in this country, especially insofar as it relates to the government, and the government performing you know, untested or you know, not fully fleshed out medical solutions on black populations as a way of experimenting to kind of see what the effect on a human body would be before they release or altered formulas or whatever. I'm alluding to the Tuskegee experiments, which are harmful experiments that the United States government is documented performing on black people, had to apologize for, and they were doing it just to see what the outcomes would be.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I wish we would have been a bit more well versed in that precedent though, because it was kind of the opposite.
Speaker 1: They were denied treatment and things in medicine. That was that was really what it was with the tuskie Ge experiments. But we were denying ourselves life saving vaccination as a result of its very very little information.
Speaker 3: The fears were justified.
Speaker 1: We just didn't do a lot of due diligence and a lot of misinformation was passed on to us very easily because of that. But we're here, like I said, on the other side of the peak of COVID. So that is something that I believe is very much a positive outcome. There's been a not insignificant amount of focus on policing and obviously there's been some legislation that's been passed with respect to how policing is done or should be done in theory since George Floyd's murder. So before George Floyd, you have to remember, there were police killings, police shootings that were shooting children. You know, this sort of thing was have black children, what's happening? Over and over and over again. We were paying attention to it. We did talk about that on the radio when we were doing Radio Solstice, our old show that we were doing. We talked about that stuff over and over again every time we could. And after George Floyd and after the sentencing of Derek Chauvin, we started to see some changes. So that was something that was positive. We still have a long way to go. I'm not going to pretend like it's all roses and all that stuff. But I'm grateful to have seen progress and our time on here. And you know, there has been some cities who have taken police resources, fiscal resources and reallocated them. It's not a full defunding of the police, but some cities, unfortunately, have doubled down. And unfortunately the president is talking crazy.
Speaker 2: But you know, as it takes someone to juice out of us, voting the other dude out. Yeah, this dude be tripping.
Speaker 1: But now we have to hope that we turn out again to keep him there, right, you know what I mean, because it's been some very discouraging outcomes in the wake of the worst human being that's ever held I can't say he's the worst human being that ever held the office, because I'm sure we had some dippity dude as back in.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but in my lifetime, the worst person.
Speaker 2: You know, people get on the political side and the presidential pro I don't care how good or better president he was.
Speaker 3: Sure he was an awful human being there it is.
Speaker 1: And you know that that I think that further shows why you know, the student loan thing was. You know, I get that it helps folks, I just don't love feeling like it could be sort of a political tool to you know, bolster some some additional votes. But this is what we got and it's better than what we could have had in my opinion. So again, some more positive outcomes to focus. So