Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, podcasts, radio news.
Speaker 2: Smashburger North America same store sales grew two point four percent in the fourth quarter. It's also planning to open twelve new locations this year via franchise. Joining us now is Jim Sullivan, Smashburger CEO Jim. This debate over franchising chains really seems to have picked up some steam with Jeff Smith yesterday and one of our analysts, for example, basically said it's hard for a company to kind of switch and get out there and start to franchise. I would love to hear just what your experience is and how difficult it is to get franchising right, because you obviously have a brand and equality that you also want to preserve.
Speaker 1: Great Well, first, thank you and good morning. Thank you for having me.
Speaker 3: I think one I support what Jeff had to say one hundred percent franchising within the restaurant sector specifically, it's a great way for us to grow.
Speaker 1: It's a great it's a great return on our invested capital. It is difficult.
Speaker 3: It's all about making sure you have the right unit economics that are scalable and sustainable, and then it's picking the right partner that are well capitalized and experienced within the space. So it is a challenge, but it's one that's very rewarding when you get the right partner in the right market and they can accelerate and propel the growth of the brand, which just drives many efficiencies across many channels of the business, whether it be marketing, supply chain, spans of control. So we at Smashburger are completely committed to the franchise model. In fact, we plan to become an asset light model here over the next eighteen months. So we're going to double down and really ramp up what we're doing both from a traditional franchise as well as our non traditional franchise space.
Speaker 4: As you look to expand, how are you identifying the best places to put in new franchises? The space is crowded, there's a lot of fast food everywhere. How do you pick what's going to be successful for Smashburger?
Speaker 1: You know, it's interesting, it's kind of an art and science.
Speaker 3: We have technology that we utilize that will help us pinpoint exactly based on performance of existing restaurants within the portfolio.
Speaker 1: We take those characteristics and then we repeat them.
Speaker 3: Through an algorithm, and then we have what I call the art, which is our people on the ground that are actually viewing each of the sites, studying the trade area, studying the competition, understanding how the competition is performing.
Speaker 1: We benchmark against that and we want.
Speaker 3: To make sure that they index north of one hundred of where their national average is.
Speaker 1: That gives us a.
Speaker 3: Good indication that there's a demand for burger within the markets that.
Speaker 1: We want to compete in.
Speaker 2: The Other thing that's happening in this space at the moment, Jim, which I'm sure you are acutely aware of, are the various outbreaks, whether it be silospora, salmonella. How has that impacted you? Have you had to take a good and hard look at your supply chain and is that protected at this moment.
Speaker 3: Yes, we absolutely take a hard look at that every day that we operate. From the standpoint of the recent outbreaks. One, we don't use iceberg let in our restaurants. We use a green leaf let us a whole head, and we'd also use one that's a pre cut. We've taken precautionary measures where we've instituted a double washing of our whole head as well as an additional washing, even though it's a pre wash product that comes in that's purely precautionary.
Speaker 1: There was no need for that.
Speaker 3: We verified with our suppliers that our supply is safe as it relates to Halapaenno's in the recent news that came out, we want to use it on a very limited basis. Klapeno for us is what we call a modifier under our create your Own menu where if you want to add Holopeno you can. We don't feature on any of our core builds. However, we did last night elect that we would voluntarily remove Hoolapeno for the time being until we further understand the impact. So for us, we're just taking a precautionary measure to protect our guests in our team members. So we pulled it. But we don't feel that there's any risks to the business. This is purely precautionary.
Speaker 4: Well, have you seen any decline in traffic or any effect on traffic from all these headlines?
Speaker 1: We have it, We have it.
Speaker 3: We continue to drive positive same store traffic, same store sales, So no, we have not seen an impact from that. But if you think where we're situated, we're burger right, We do have a let us component to what we do, but we're primarily.
Speaker 1: A protein so we have not experienced.
Speaker 3: That, and I'm quite frankly we haven't even heard from our guests questioning what it is or what we're doing as it relates to our produce.
Speaker 2: Jim, you know this industry well, and I wonder perhaps we're just suffering from recency bias. But it feels like there's been a lot of outbreaks as of late. Is it actually the case has something changed? Is it hotter weather that's allowing this to happen, Is something changed with like overall supply chains, or is this like a normal course of business what we're living through right right now?
Speaker 3: You know, I honestly I think that there's always risks that are out there. We just rely on the FDA and the CDC and we follow what they direct us as to what the risks may be that are out there. I do think it's just kind of an anomaly right now that you head back to back. We haven't experienced that for now several years. There's always small cases that break out, but I'm not concerned that there's an overwhelming concern for supply chain.
Speaker 4: What about pricing and the inflation that you're facing, particularly in the beef market. How is that affecting your margins and how are you trying to protect them.
Speaker 1: It's definitely impacted our margins.
Speaker 3: We've been very disciplined around price and pricing, understanding the macro that's out there and consumers are pinched. So we've introduced our Everyday Value, which is a four ninety nine price point for us. This is a way for us not only to promote a price point, but it's really about our quality and our experience. So value for us is an entirely different equation versus just price. But we're offsetting what's occurring with beef by driving other proteins and other products through our menu and through product innovation.
Speaker 2: Hey, Jim, that's all we have time for. Thank you so much for joining us. Jim Sullivan of Smashburger