Speaker 1: You're listening to Comedy Central.
Speaker 2: From the most trusted journalists at Comedy Central's America's only sorts for news. This is the Daily Joke with your holesome Jordan's Clever.
Speaker 3: Welcome to Dana Show.
Speaker 4: I'm going good for We got a great show for you tonight. We're gonna get into the big question America's grappling with right now. If someone tried to overthrow democracy and kill the vice president, is that a red flag?
Speaker 3: Let's get into it by now.
Speaker 4: There's a big story at the crossroads of media, politics and insurrections. Just days after being hired by NBC News, former RNC chairwoman Rona McDaniel is back on LinkedIn.
Speaker 5: The NBC News is now cutting ties with the former RNC chair Rona McDaniel days after hiring her as a contributor, because of major backlash from some of its biggest anchors.
Speaker 4: I find the decision to put her on the payroll inexplicable.
Speaker 1: They say that it wasn't because McDaniel is a Republican, but because she helped promote Donald Trump's lies about the twenty twenty presidential election and assisted in efforts to overturn the results.
Speaker 6: Trump posted on true Social Wow. Ronal McDaniel got fired by fake news NBC. It leaves her in a very strange place. It's called never never Land, and it's not a place you want to.
Speaker 3: Be never never Land. Where does that come from?
Speaker 4: Does Trump think that's an unemployment office for Peter Pan? I mean maybe Trump sees a kinship in tinker Bell in that if enough people don't clap for him, he dies.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 4: Although Trump can't be too mad about it. The only reason she was available in the first place is that he fired her from the RNC a few weeks ago. Yes, ronal McDaniel lasted just five days at NBC, which is less screen time than dead bodies on Law and Order.
Speaker 5: It gets.
Speaker 3: This is sad for RNA, But also I don't really give a shit. There's a lot more important things to worry about. I mean, PTE. Denny is on the loose. He can be anywhere, you know.
Speaker 4: The ronal McDaniel situation does point to a larger question in America, which is what should happen with the people who did January six You may remember back when January sixth happened, there wasn't much of a question about this at all. Everyone who is not wearing horns agreed the people who did this had to be punished for it. Even the guy who they were wearing the horns for agreed that there had to be consequences for their violent actions.
Speaker 7: Like all Americans, I am outraged by the violence, lawlessness, and mayhem. America is and must always be a nation of law and order. The demonstrators who infiltrated the Capitol have defiled the seat of American democracy. To those who engaged in the acts of violence and destruction, you do not represent our country. And to those who broke the law, you will pay.
Speaker 4: You hear that, people who broke the law, You're going to pay for that, So says the person who told you.
Speaker 3: To break the law.
Speaker 4: It's a bit like Tim Cook coming out and being like, who are these people wearing the Vision pro You look like idiots? Okay, So basically everyone agreed January sixth bad and justice needed to play out. And the good news is justice did play out. The fake electors were charged. Trump's lawyers are being disbarred, hundreds of rioters were arrested and put in jail, and it's still continuing today. Just in the past couple of weeks, a man was charged for firing a gun during the riots, and a geophysicist who stormed the capitol was sentenced to five years in prison. So if you ever thought you weren't smarter than a geophysicist.
Speaker 3: Good news, good news. And you know what if you don't mind.
Speaker 4: If you don't, I might indulge to that geophysicist, good luck using the seawall lick fluvial sequence to analyze remnant magnetization. Now you locked up, bitch. It's been bent up for a whole time. As the wheels of justice turned and life moved on, most people moved on to other things, which makes sense. Other shit happened. We had the rest of the pandemic. There was inflation, to famous people decided to date each other.
Speaker 3: And how can we focus on anything else.
Speaker 4: We can be forgiven for moving up, But Trump and the MAGA movement didn't forget about January sixth.
Speaker 3: In fact, they've been rewriting.
Speaker 8: And I have no problem saying that these January sixth defendants are being treated like political prisoners of war.
Speaker 9: The DOJ is harassing, harassing peaceful patriots across the country.
Speaker 2: They're not destroying the Capital.
Speaker 3: They obviously revere the Capitol.
Speaker 4: They're there because they believe the election was stolen from them.
Speaker 3: They believe in the system.
Speaker 10: Convicted January sixth, writer is free this morning, and now they own an honorary American flag, a gift from a Texas Republican Congressman. Doctor Simone Gold was released from prison on Friday, and Congressman Louis Gomert was there to present her with the flag.
Speaker 4: You know, I'm no history buff, but she was in the She was the loser in a failed insurrection. If you're gonna present her with the flag, it probably should have been this flag.
Speaker 3: I think, I think, I.
Speaker 4: Think no one has reversed his position on the Trump mob as hard as Donald Trump himself. He went from demanding that these criminals go to prison to promising that he's gonna get these heroes out of prison.
Speaker 11: Trump called those now serving prison sentences hostages and patriots. Do you see the spirit from the hostages? And that's what they are as hostages.
Speaker 2: Suggesting he'd pardon them as soon as he gets back into office.
Speaker 11: The first day we get into office, we were going to work with the people to treat those unbelievable patriots. And they were unbelievable patriots and are released to Jay six hostages. Joe, release them, Joe, you can do it, real easy, Joe, you can do it.
Speaker 4: Joe.
Speaker 3: The hostage is Joe. Come on, Joe.
Speaker 4: I wouldn't call convicted criminals hostages, although if Mago wants to treat them as hostages, we can have a hostage exchange. I'm happy to release them if they can give us the I don't know, old Kanye back, you know, just spitball in here. That's how far Trump has gone. He's turning these January six rioters into victims and patriots and innocent choir boys.
Speaker 3: I mean literally choir boys.
Speaker 4: There's a group of January six rioters in prison who have started a choir and they released a version of the star spangled banner that Donald Trump features on. And now Donald Trump's rallies begin like this. Ladies and gentlemen, please rize for the horribly and unfairly treated January sixth toss stitches.
Speaker 3: That's a dramatic way to kick off at events. At the next.
Speaker 4: Super Bowl, I want to hear, ladies and gentlemen, please rise for the horribly and unfairly treated Kelly Rowland.
Speaker 3: She's just as talented as Beyonce.
Speaker 4: It's not her fault she wasn't as strategic with her career.
Speaker 3: I mean, look, we can't normalize this.
Speaker 4: Do you remember when he wasted three months of our lives being mad at Colin Kaepernick for kneeling for the national anthem. Now he's saluting rioters, insurrectionists, and even worse, a cappella singers, and the.
Speaker 3: Fair didn't even take off his hat. But that's where we are now.
Speaker 4: And Ron McDaniel trying to get a job at NBC is just the latest example of Jan sixers trying to get back into the mainstream. Remember the guy with the horns, the shaman. Guess what he's up to now.
Speaker 8: He's been known by many names, Jacob Chanceley, Jake Angeley, and QAnon Shaman, among others. But now Jacob Angeley Chancelly hopes to be known by a new name, Congressman.
Speaker 12: As a congressman, I will have a platform to highlight not just these problems, but the real solutions that we have to solve them.
Speaker 3: Real solutions. What solutions could you possibly have?
Speaker 4: So security is in trouble, have you tried beaten it with the flagpole.
Speaker 3: Here's the point.
Speaker 4: This is not just a fight for how to remember the past. The people who did January six are trying to get back in power. If they lose, they'll do January sixth again. If they win, they'll probably still do January sixth again, just for old time's sake. And the rest of us need to decide. Are we just gonna let them? Are we going to draw the line at treason and tell them that in this country there is still justice and democracy and these are the values we not only stand behind, we also salute them.
Speaker 3: Maybe we can get the original version. Please please. When we come back, we'll find out if URFK Jr. Can save us stick around. Welcome back to the Daily Show.
Speaker 4: Big news in the presidential race, so let's get into it with our ongoing coverage Job Indecision twenty twenty four. Let's talk about the leading candidate for president of Narnia, Robert F.
Speaker 3: Kennedy Jr.
Speaker 4: He's been running a strong third in the race for president, and yesterday he found out who has the honor of coming in third with him.
Speaker 13: RFK Junior has named his running mate at a campaign rally yesterday.
Speaker 14: Her name Nicole Shanahan. He's only thirty eight years old, an Oakland, California native, a tech entrepreneur who has donated the Democratic presidential campaigns and was formerly married to Google co founder Sergey Brin.
Speaker 8: She is a Silicon Valley lawyer and philanthropist who is expected to infuse her own personal wealth into the campaign.
Speaker 13: The purpose of wealth is to help those in need.
Speaker 2: She did give four million dollars to help pay for RFK Junior's recent.
Speaker 3: Super Bowl ad.
Speaker 4: That's right, the independent outsider taking on the political and corporate power structure, decided to run for president with his sugar daddy. Although to be fair, he didn't just pick her because she's willing to spend four million dollars to get him elected.
Speaker 3: He also had much dumber reasons.
Speaker 15: I wanted a vice president who shared my passion for a wholesome healthy foods, chemical free for regenerative agriculture, for good soils. I also wanted someone who was an athlete who could help me inspire Americans to heal to keep them back in shape. And I'm happy to report my vice president is an avid surfer who attended school on a softball scholarship.
Speaker 4: Is it picking a vice president or a gym coach who cares if she serves. There's never been a crisis in American history that required the VP to shred the NARA. By the way, softball scholarship is not the boast you.
Speaker 3: Think it is.
Speaker 4: Hey, this lady got into college, but not for being smart. So RKA Junior, he has his running mate, but is she who his supporters wanted? Yesterday we sent our own Michael Costa to Oakland to find out.
Speaker 16: I'm here in Oakland, California at an RFK Junior campaign event where he's set to announce his vice presidential running mate.
Speaker 3: It's exciting.
Speaker 9: I'm unvaxed, I'm unwaxed, and I'm ready to go.
Speaker 16: It was just a few hours before the big announcement, and people were excited about a short list of incredibly credible candidates.
Speaker 3: I think Aaron Rodgers is also amazing Aaron Rodgers.
Speaker 17: Just because he's also he's also anti mandatory vaccine.
Speaker 4: I really like how Aaron Rodgers stood up and spoke out against the COVID tyranny.
Speaker 16: Aaron Rodgers is the only guy with experience the Joe Rogan experience.
Speaker 9: Tony Robbins, Yeah, I'm what a hero.
Speaker 3: I saw Tony Robbins up there, Tony Robbins.
Speaker 15: Yeah.
Speaker 9: Can you imagine a cab a meeting being like, if you can see it, you can believe it.
Speaker 3: We can do it.
Speaker 13: That's totally you know, we need that kind of energy.
Speaker 16: I think it's easy for people in the mainstream media to discount RFK Junior's candidacy, but when you look around, it was a pretty serious event. So which property brother do you think he's going to pick for a vice president?
Speaker 3: These were serious choices for serious supporters.
Speaker 13: I am a conspiracy theorist great or yeah, factualist as Kevin.
Speaker 16: So which one of RFK Junior's policy excuse me?
Speaker 9: Conspiracy theories?
Speaker 3: Do you also track with his work looking into vaccines?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 14: And the issues in vaccines?
Speaker 9: How quickly after you get vaccinated do you get autism?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 6: That I don't know.
Speaker 16: Okay, So, first off, conspiracy theory?
Speaker 1: What is a conspiracy? I don't know.
Speaker 3: I don't you don't know what a conspiracy?
Speaker 6: I mean, I have some ideas.
Speaker 3: You go to school, not really are kidding me?
Speaker 9: For media? They just kind of give you this credential.
Speaker 1: Look at I wore the suit I got it is.
Speaker 16: Maybe I did need to relearn a little bit about conspiracies.
Speaker 9: Earth flat or sphere, sphere, moon landing, reeal or fake hmmm probably fake female orgasm real or fake.
Speaker 15: I could be fake, could be real.
Speaker 6: Well, that's not helping me, since none of this was really helping me.
Speaker 16: I was glad when it finally came time to hear the big announcement. There's something in the air right now along with all the cancer causing wi FI and it's excitement.
Speaker 15: Crowd to introduce all of you the next Vice President of the United States of America. Nicole Shanahan called it.
Speaker 3: I call it, call them. That's right.
Speaker 16: An ip lawyer in the digital space who funded RFK Junior's multimillion dollars Super Bowl commercials somehow beat out the host of Dirty Jobs.
Speaker 3: A truly historic moment. How exciting is this?
Speaker 9: We have a complete ticket and the VP candidate.
Speaker 13: Is Shanahan and that is depressing.
Speaker 9: When they announced her name in there, people were going crazy, certainly googling.
Speaker 1: Who is this person?
Speaker 9: We all are, Okay, what's your initial thoughts?
Speaker 1: Do not much?
Speaker 6: I guess I was a little disappointed when I heard, and I didn't really know who she was.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean I think I vaguely had heard the name.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I mean I know the name Nicole right, and I know the name Shanahan, but I.
Speaker 3: Didn't know them together.
Speaker 9: So I guess Aaron Rodgers is out of luck and a lot of other potential feats.
Speaker 15: I thought he would pick maybe like an inside politics like black woman. That's who I thought he would pick.
Speaker 9: Let's name our favorite inside politic black woman. On the count of three, ready, one, two, three, you start, there's.
Speaker 1: A bunch of woman.
Speaker 6: But yeah, maybe Oprah. Maybe Oprah probably couldn't get her that I know Oprah.
Speaker 16: But I had one more easy question for these truly engaged supporters.
Speaker 9: Do you feel that Nicole Shanahan is a step in the same direction as RFK JR.
Speaker 7: Don't know.
Speaker 9: Looks like these RFK fans are gonna have to do a bit more of their own research.
Speaker 3: Thanks Michael, We come back by rental. We're joining me on the show. Don't Go Away. Welcome back to the Daily Show.
Speaker 4: My guest tonight is an investigative reporter at Notice whose new book is called Means of Control. How the hidden alliance of tech and government is creating a new American surveillance State. Please welcome byrontal, thank you, going.
Speaker 16: Bye, Rod.
Speaker 4: I got this book scared me, Okay, I gotta be real honest, it scared me. It's fascinating, and I don't want to scare people away. But there was a lot of revelatory things in here.
Speaker 12: Now I.
Speaker 4: Have some skepticism, and I understand that technology a lot of times, these tech world these tech apps, they're tracking me. They have a lot of data. I understand the government maybe not always above board. But you found a way to put these two together like a ham and cheese sandwich of paranoia. And tell me, I feel like a lot of this starts started to surprise me. Starts here at these digital advertising exchanges, right start with me there, What do I need to understand about a digital advertising exchange?
Speaker 13: Sure, so that banner ad that you see every time you load an app or a website that's tracking you in more ways than one. Every time you load something like that and you see a little display ad, you're actually passing a ton of information back to these technology companies that are vacuuming it up. They're collecting it, they're trying to build profiles of you, and there are thousands of them that are all getting this data every time you load an app, and some of those entities are actually saving that data. They're brokering it. It's become a big business model, so they're selling it to other entities. So whenever you give a weather app permission to know your location, your location is actually being passed back to this mind numbingly complex system of digital advertising. And there are thousands of parties there that can collect it, even if they're not the one that serves you the ad. And so a lot of data is saved and resold.
Speaker 4: And so what you're telling me here is well some of that I assume, right, I open up that weather app.
Speaker 3: Oh, it knows it's cold hair.
Speaker 4: It's going to sell me a parka, right, and also knows that I'm cheap, so it's going to have to be a cheap parka.
Speaker 12: Right.
Speaker 3: These are what these phones? Do you talk about?
Speaker 4: The government has decided, well, for get, we can use this too, Right, I'm okay with Nike pouncing on me and selling me these shoes form my gout riddled feet. Perhaps I share too much they already know, well, how is the government getting in on this action?
Speaker 6: Sure?
Speaker 13: So there's a lot of ways government gets data from things like digital advertisers. So sometimes they just buy it from these data brokers that sit there and they slurp it all up and they sell it. Sometimes government contractors set up things like things that look like marketing companies and they get access to these ad networks and they provide the data to the government. Sometimes governments hack into these systems, So there's lots and lots of ways for governments to get data off of these networks, and often they just simply need to open their wallets and buy it.
Speaker 3: Is this legal?
Speaker 13: This is by and large considered legal because when the government acts as a buyer in a consumer market, lawyers have tended to take the position that you've lost the reasonable expectation no privacy that's core to your Fourth Amendment rights. Right Like, you've already told something like a digital advertiser or a bank or some other company something about yourself or the information that you're generating. So what privacy interest do you have in it? And if it's available for sale and the government's buying it just like any other buyer, most lawyers have blessed these kind of programs.
Speaker 4: You you go into the apps like Grinder, and initially, as I'm in the book, that's no judgement, no.
Speaker 3: No judgment, no judgment.
Speaker 4: In the book, you talk about apps like Grinder, yes, right, and how that data was suddenly being used for nefarious purposes, and even talk about a Catholic blog essentially that purchase information on a bishop and then publishes that and outs that bishop and gets that bishop fire.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 4: Is that some of the like, what are some of the examples of these these this information being used for nefarious purposes.
Speaker 13: Yeah, So with that example, it's not that Grinder is out there selling its users data. It's that Grinder wants to serve ads to its users like many other apps. But when you serve ads, you are exposing all of your users to these thousands of advertisers, these entities that can collect this information, and again, some of them sell it, and some of them sell it to people that they don't look very closely at. And so in this instance, there were a bunch of Catholic journalists who had received tips from people who had acquired this data through purchasing it, and they were going around and they were saying something like, you know, we have a lead on some priests that might be using Grinder and violating their vows, and one of those journalists bid on it and published a story about this, and this Catholic official had to resign. And this is true of not just Grinder, but basically any app where we share our location and that wants to serve as banner advertising. We're sharing a ton of data with them, and whoever's out there and you know, has access to it, can buy it.
Speaker 18: Now.
Speaker 4: You mentioned something here at the end of the book talking about the recent Dobs decision. Right and right now, access to abortion services is limited in some states. People are crossing the state lines to get that. Is this the type of thing that you see as a harbinger for a tactic or a tool for states to purchase through advertisers, ways in which to track people potentially committing what they see as a crime.
Speaker 13: Yeah, it's certainly possible that state governments who have decided that they want to make abortion unlawful and want to even take the step of potentially, you know, seeing what residents travel out of state. The sheer amount of data that's slashing around about all of us all the time is a target for states like that, and it's entirely possible that states could either purchase data or you know, if they're going to go down the route of criminalizing traveling out of state for abortion, they could simply subpoena it or go to court for it. And so it really does make it hard to move around the world anonymously these days because of all the data that we all generate every day.
Speaker 4: You talk about the privilege of disappearing, and you also talk I mean, I guess I hear this and I understand it, and it scares me. But I also, on the other hand, think like can we avoid this? Is this sort of the world we are in right now? And as a journalist, as an investigative journalist, there's an element of secrecy, at least assumed with some of the conversations you have or what have you. In the book you talk about you even went to go purchase a car, and somebody who's researching a book about the ways in which people can weaponize data on you purchasing a car that you already see ways in which that ties you to location. How do you go about a process of purchasing that and be an investigative journalist who cares about secrecy?
Speaker 13: Well, the poor hyundaid dealership that I walked into. I have no idea what they were getting into.
Speaker 4: Another investigative journalists, data brokerage.
Speaker 3: God damn it.
Speaker 13: They didn't even know how to answer the questions I was asking. So you know, I eventually made them go get a car from like two states over that didn't even have the little cell chip that can transmit the data.
Speaker 3: Because cause you walk in there, I just think it's a car.
Speaker 4: It's a car, But you're talking about their's cell chips essentially like the Bluetooth that's in the car and also in the tires.
Speaker 13: Right, So one thing people don't realize, but your tires actually are broadcasting a little radio signal constantly, and it's meant it's there to tell the car central computer that your tire pressure is low, perfectly reasonable safety mechanism. But clever governments have figured out, hey, a tire is a proxy for a car. That tire is screaming a unique identifier all the time. We put a little sensor here, a little sensor there, a little sensor under a bridge, a little sensor in a tunnel. We can track cars around based on their car tires, and car companies don't seem to realize that this is a vector for tracking, and have never done anything to make these vehicles or make these systems work better for privacy.
Speaker 3: And they can sell that information to insurance companies. Yeah, so a lot.
Speaker 13: There's a big controversy now about selling car data to insurance companies. So car companies like GM, we're doing that, and they recently said they were stopping selling it to data brokers, that we're selling it to insurance companies for public safety purposes. It seems like governments are putting up these little sensors that might be able to track either your license plate reader or your car hires or both, or all sorts of other things that I don't even know about.
Speaker 3: Yes, but yes, this is entirely possible.
Speaker 4: So you have to take extra steps as an investigative journalist to keep this anonymity.
Speaker 13: Yeah, and there are things that ordinary people can do, right. You can be a little bit more careful with the permissions on your phone. You know, not every game needs access to your twenty four to seven location, your photo, role, and all this data about you, right, Like, it'll work just fine without it. You know, every time you open the Uber app, you don't need to let it have your geolocation to type the address this you're at. You know, so you can do small things to reclaim privacy and make sure that you know parties that don't need your data don't get it.
Speaker 11: Now.
Speaker 4: As I read this, I thought about this about secrecy, well, ways in which you can take small steps. And then I saw your acknowledgments. And in your acknowledgments, you were very grateful to people who help you write this book, you said. The first words of this book were written on an Amtrak train between DC and New York. A full chapter outline was completed at a rented farmhouse in Riserstown, Maryland, in January twenty twenty two. The final few weeks of writing this first draft were spent in New York City at the Work Heights on Franklin Avenue. This is remarkably specific for some money, so I was worried about location. Heremany's perfect, nobody's perfect. Well, it's a good rate. It's scared the Jesus out of me. I appreciate it. Means of control is available now by rental.
Speaker 18: We're gonna take it quick, frank right, that's our jol for tonight now here an is Momizel.
Speaker 17: This has benettly tragic day for America. Violence in any form is absolutely unacceptable. It is anti American and must be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.
Speaker 1: Do you still think it was a tragic day?
Speaker 10: Do you think that the people who storm the Capitol should be held responsible to the full extent of all I have.
Speaker 17: Concerns about the treatment of January six hostages.
Speaker 2: Explore more shows from the Daily Show podcast universe by searching The Daily Show wherever you get your podcasts. Watch The Daily Show week nights at eleven ten Central on Comedy Central and stream full episodes anytime on Paramount Plus.
Speaker 1: This has been a Comedy Central podcastw