Speaker 1: Are you leaving?
Speaker 2: I you wanna way back home?
Speaker 3: Either way you want to be.
Speaker 2: There, doesn't matter how much baggage you claim and give us time and a terminol and gay. We want to send you off in style.
Speaker 3: We want to welcome you back home.
Speaker 2: Tell us all about it.
Speaker 3: We scared her? Was it fine?
Speaker 4: Malborn?
Speaker 3: Do you need to ride? Do you need to ride?
Speaker 1: Do you need to ride?
Speaker 3: Do you need to ride? Do you need to ride? Do you need to ride?
Speaker 1: To ride? Do you need with Karen and Chris welcome to Do you need a ride?
Speaker 3: This is Chris Fairbanks and this is Karen Kilgara.
Speaker 1: Hello, my friend Karen.
Speaker 3: Hello Chris, how are you?
Speaker 1: I'm good? How are you?
Speaker 5: Do you give me anything to share? Concerns? Anecdotes?
Speaker 3: Well, I'm no anecdotes. I am fascinated by your hair. Yeah, it's now, it's like it goes. It went out for a while, now it's coming back in.
Speaker 1: I got a little hair cut.
Speaker 3: Oh well, I would explain.
Speaker 5: It, but it was funny. The guy went to has a very fancy establishment. I went because he has very ornate, large silver mirrors. That's why I knows him. And he's a block away. But he kind of refused to cut my hair. He's like, no, it's so curly and big. Let's just and at the end there was just a few hair shavings on the floor.
Speaker 1: He didn't do much, so he.
Speaker 3: Just kind of shaped it, gave it a little got it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I like it.
Speaker 5: He made it symmetrical because my my hair does grow large in the fourth quadrant here on the laure Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's so.
Speaker 5: That's And he gave me bangs. I kind of have bangs fun. Yeah, yeah, you can't.
Speaker 3: There's a summertime. I guess they're little summertime bangs. I uh, And then I'm not.
Speaker 5: I might as well just tell you everything about a straightening iron.
Speaker 1: A flattening iron. Uh okay, because.
Speaker 5: I thought maybe I could flatten him and have for comedic perk purposes, or maybe some character just straight bank. I want to do a face frame. I was looking at these pictures and no offense.
Speaker 3: Me in the eye. Right now, I'm telling you, Karen, person to person.
Speaker 5: I promise I won't straighten my bangs and not straighten the rest of my hair.
Speaker 3: No, no, no, the whole option is off the table. Comedic hair concept, hair for comedy purposes is off the table. It's meat it it's a crutch. Please don't do it.
Speaker 5: I wanted it all comedy aside, and to I believe a detriment to my commercial acting career. I just wanted hair like Noel Fielding from Mighty Boosh. I cut out some pictures no I put them in a little collage on my iPad. I presented them to this hairstylist and he basically said, I don't have the right hair for that hair.
Speaker 3: Screen then, and then you got my call. Then everything's going exactly as I planned.
Speaker 5: It explains he was gone for fifteen minutes right at the beginning of the haircut, screaming at the up his lungs.
Speaker 1: And now I know why you.
Speaker 3: Were fighting, And I said, God, damn you don't you dare?
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I just think that what you're doing already is enough because it's your real hair and you're doing what you want with it. But once you start getting into manipulating your real hair, I think the effort. When I'm watching a person on stage that's putting a lot of effort into their into what they look like, it's distracting to their words and their personality. And then after a while I don't care because I think this person cares too much and is trying to control what I think, so they automatically go into the hate car So I should only hate.
Speaker 1: I should not even bring up the series of headbands that I have heard.
Speaker 3: Well, if we do talk headbands, we need to introduce our guests so that she can weigh in, because I know.
Speaker 5: You, by the way, has a nice transition from uh, that's what I wanted, some kind of bangs here, and then it tapers off into the side long hair that looks nice.
Speaker 3: This always happens when we see other people with good haircuts. We say, well, then that's what I want, without considering who we are, and that is erasure of self, and we have to get into this time.
Speaker 1: I'm looking at Emily right now.
Speaker 5: I know we're not supposed to say a guest's name before we introduce her, but that's a nice bang to sign their taper.
Speaker 3: I literally have already taken a picture of Emily's hair to bring to my hairdresser so that I can say, please, can we somehow aim towards well?
Speaker 5: Be sure to bring a picture of her covering her face because she's trying so hard to not make a noise because she's a professional, and that's not all. She's an amazing I want. I'm excited to see Emily do stand up again. There's a lot of people I want to see stand up again. But on top of that, she's a very I think, amazing actor. I'm specifying it. Everyone thinks she's an amaz an actor.
Speaker 3: Yes, you're not alone. You're not alone.
Speaker 5: She was in that Freeway to Hell thing with me that's on YouTube, and she's very good in it, and we're great together. Everyone put your hands together for Emily Maya Mills.
Speaker 4: Oh my gosh, thank you so much for having me. Your bangs are hot for someone that really got me. They are just.
Speaker 3: They were every bang for summer.
Speaker 5: Now they're just look that's fine. Now they were too long. See they're hardly bangs.
Speaker 4: Now they're more, they're very they're very flirty. Fine, And Karen, you were describing something that I feel about just good looking people in general. No, thank you. You know, can't trust doing stand up just in general. No, just can't trust them. They had to do easy. As Karen a character, I just doubt it very much. When you meet up a very good looking person who also is you know, solid of character. I'm like, wow that, Yeah, now I'm blown away.
Speaker 3: You know what I think?
Speaker 4: Every time?
Speaker 3: Single mother and or because I'm thinking of good looking meant when you meet a good looking man that doesn't immediately oppress you spiritually, then you go how did this happen? And then you find out single mother almost every time, right, or or older sisters sometimes multiple or multiple sisters.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, I'm guilty of those, some kind of abuse.
Speaker 3: Maybe a child of a missionary, grew up in a country with people who didn't didn't have all of the first world amenities, but actually understood what love really was at an early age.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yes, yes, at the very least.
Speaker 5: Latch key key yeah, which what does that mean, by the way, Because for me, when I was young and I was coming home and I actually literally had a house key on a necklace so I wouldn't lose it.
Speaker 4: We didn't even have one. I had to crawl in through the window.
Speaker 3: So someone latch key one upmanship is what that was.
Speaker 1: Someone was home, but you still had to open a lot door let me in.
Speaker 3: No, you get in on your own, and you learned to be sufficient to beautiful people.
Speaker 1: We're trying to make you interesting during auditions. You door that made.
Speaker 4: Drive the bus too. I was sent down the like muni to school when I was nine.
Speaker 6: Oh ship in the city and from in the city. Wow, yeah, yep, so yeah, you know, you just got to figure. At the time, I was like, oh, this is what age you get on the bus by yourself. And then in retrospect you're like, that was and that was a little early.
Speaker 3: Yeah what nine year old?
Speaker 1: Yeah what age? No, I'm sorry, oh wow, yeah, like the the.
Speaker 4: Muni, the old muni. And because it was like I remember the first day I did it, my the bus stopped at a little liquor store and stopped outside there for a really long time, and I didn't know what to do, so I kept getting up and sitting down and getting up and sitting down. Could have gotten off, didn't know where to go, no phones, and then turned out. Later I told my dad, he said, I said, the bus stop for a really time. He goes, yeah, driver got off and went and got breakfast. I was behind you, but didn't intervene, which is weird because it was never going to repeat it. The issue would never repeat. But he didn't intervene. He just kind of watched the wild take its course.
Speaker 5: I want to know why your dad assumed breakfast was being had at the liquor store.
Speaker 3: He was living in Old Milwaukee for breast.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, it's just.
Speaker 3: It was like the kind that comes the club cocktail that comes all together.
Speaker 4: Yes, yeah, yep.
Speaker 1: Oh my god.
Speaker 3: So you were being observed without he You didn't know that your dad was following the bus. No, he was just making sure. But basically they were saying, you got to learn how to do this.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, there was a lot of that. Yeah. Yeah, I think I was at a job in fourth grade, you know, like I three busses to get there and got paid on payroll.
Speaker 3: Yes, what did you do?
Speaker 4: Well, it was I don't know how real a job it was, but I worked for a for a design firm, just kind of organizing their shelves and answering the phones, organizing the slatches. It was kind of to keep me out of trouble. It was like my mom didn't know what to do with me. She was working. Yeah, I think it was that kind of thing.
Speaker 3: What did she do?
Speaker 4: She was a very ballsy corporate architect for Pacific Assam Electric.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, yeah. She was one of three percent of her graduating classes female, and you know at that time, so yeah, she was off in Stanley at work. Sue in a motherfucker here, you know, here and there. For I have some bits about that which I do thoroughly enjoyed, because when you're a kid, you're like, I just want to skirt to cry into and she's like, pantas, don't we get off?
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 4: You you give me home for dinner. No, I'm going to be working. You're give me home after that, and I'm gonna be so in otherfuckers because I gotta you know, we gotta, we gotta pave this way. And it's true at the time I was so bummed out, but in retrospect that my she we needed her to do that, it was actually one hundred percent necessary.
Speaker 3: That's same. My mom was the same. I would think we all are latch key kids, and my mom was the same way where sometimes I would take a nap. So my dad was a firement, so he would be home three or four days a week and then, but my mom worked every day every weekday. So there were times where sometimes like maybe if I was sick or whatever, I would take a nap with my dad. And then sleep and then my I would wake up and my mom would be home and she would like have all her work clothes on, and you know, come in with her drink and be like, oh you like. That's one of my earliest memories is my mom coming in like at night time to say hi, and everybody else's mom because we lived, you know, like this small farm town where everybody else's mom was like lined up in their station wagon and that just kind of and I was bitter about it for a while because I was like, you're supposed to be married in Cunningham. And then once I got into high school, I was like, oh no, this is the best case scenario. I was given some tools that I don't think other people had.
Speaker 5: I still I still am only hearing I took a nap with my dad.
Speaker 1: I think that's pretty damn.
Speaker 4: Kid, see Darling.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, we would my sister like it was when I was, I guess in kindergarten. This memory is from kindergarten because I would get home from school before my sister and so my dad would go pick me up and then we would watch Sesame Street until I fell asleep, and he like Sesme Street as much as I did. Like, yeah, I came home one time when I was like in seventh grade and my dad was watching Sesame Street and the Cookie Monster was doing alistair Cookie Monster Piece theater and my dad was laughing his ass off, and I walked in. I was like, seriously, is this what you do? Well we're at school. He was like, I'm sorry. This was a good show. This is a good show.
Speaker 1: Yeah. They always little East Riggs for adults on that show. They still do.
Speaker 5: That's I didn't notice when I was a kid, but you watch it now. That's why they are the best.
Speaker 1: It really is.
Speaker 4: Oh. I was just gonna say, my dad kind of got into Beverly Hills now and in that way. It was a strange time.
Speaker 3: He was like, like an actual fan.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it was so strange. She's like, you know, I mean, Sharon Doherty's face is asymmetrical. But if you look closely at this story, you know, a weird, weird critical observer of it. He got into it. You got into it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't know why.
Speaker 5: I just assumed, of course, if you're a little kid, you take naps with your dad.
Speaker 1: I don't know why.
Speaker 5: I just thought it was a cute I'm a teenager and I'm sleeping next to my dad. For some reason that makes me it's heartwarming. A lot of people think that idea is scary. I think it's terrific.
Speaker 1: So I would love to have a nap with my dad right now. Miss my dad.
Speaker 3: Most of the time, he's the one that wanted to take the nap, and it was just kind of like, no, no, you have to because you're you're a little kid. You have to take a nap, and then we just lay lay down on their bed and.
Speaker 5: Yeah, otherwise you're running around the house where there's knives and stuff.
Speaker 3: Yeah, remember how irritating it was to have to take naps when you were a little I would get so mad, like I'm not tired and everybody else is still up.
Speaker 1: I think about it all the time.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I refuse sleep hygiene. I refuse it for the same just on principle, same things, just so you can't I like my autonomy. It's the same reason I used to smoke.
Speaker 3: It's just like I say, yes, I choose to do this to myself.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you don't tell me when they're god.
Speaker 3: I actually my sister has never smoked in her life, and we were driving driving by someone who smoked, and she goes, what do people smoke? Like, what is it about smoking? And I go, you do it to seem cool. And you the first year you have to force yourself to do it because it feels terrible. Yeah, And but then once you start getting that nicotine hit, then then it's the addiction. But in the beginning, there's no reason to smoke because it's so unpleasant, and so you.
Speaker 4: Got to build up your ability to feel the depletion. Right then it's satisfying. That's all it is.
Speaker 3: It was creating the need.
Speaker 5: And if you in the book, Oh, did you the one in the book An Easy Way to Quit spoken?
Speaker 1: Yes?
Speaker 4: Yeah, And I was totally onto it from the beginning where I was like, this is just repetition, This is just repetition, but it is and it worked, yes, Like oh okay, I mean it's like the same thing as a co leader, you know, it's just repeating the message.
Speaker 1: Built it in. Yeah.
Speaker 5: When I lived in Austin, i lived I was near a hospital and I couldn't believe how many people like nurses and people that worked in the medical industry.
Speaker 1: Would be out on smoke breaks. That always blew me away.
Speaker 5: Yeah, but it's because it's a high stress job and it's a little treat you give yourself m.
Speaker 4: M like economy.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm going to leave even social situations. I'm gob by myself.
Speaker 1: It used to be a nice way to get out of bad conversations. I do miss that.
Speaker 5: Oh I forgot. I'm addicted to cigarettes. Although what you're saying is so interesting. Right now, I'm happy right back.
Speaker 1: What do we do now?
Speaker 4: How do we get We just have to stay in them. I mean, it's been a year, so I don't right.
Speaker 5: I don't know, it's been Uh, it's been interesting to see people. I did an outdoor show, uh in a golf course recently, and the audience it seemed like it was going to be great. It was safe. People are on blankets, and they wouldn't stop. They didn't know how to act. They were just talking to each other. They were overwhelmed with the fact that they were sitting near each other. Yea, And it made for a terrible audience and they got drunk.
Speaker 4: Because I did a outdoor show recently, and similarly, I was like my first show out. I didn't know what I was going to say, and I said, I went, like, so any marrieds here, you know, thinking about that's my marriage. You know, I got some married married person stuff and connect with the people who had to, you know, gain a decade of marriage in a year from staying inside one person. And uh, nobody, nobody hooped. There was not a single married. It was all single. Everybody's single. They were just all there to match, you know, dig some butts and pussies and vagina. I know they just wanted we could have just made it an organized situation in which they could fit their junk.
Speaker 1: And really they were all trying to get get.
Speaker 4: There because I even said that, and they were like, like, I mean genuinely.
Speaker 3: It makes perfect sense because it's that's what every concert every night at the our, and it's just an excuse for people to go and try to get back into the mix.
Speaker 1: Yes, really was what was that beach people?
Speaker 4: No, this was front town people.
Speaker 1: Oh okay, huh, I was blaming it on the ocean.
Speaker 3: The ocean.
Speaker 4: No. No, Christian, my husband, Christian, you guys know, it's the best lovely, smart, funny person. He also handsome with a good personality, good looking and why wow, all of the things we mentioned I think not the single mom, but like you know, I think there was there was a severe trauma right around the time of his birth, you know, mom was there was stuff going on. Nice sister.
Speaker 5: Yeah there's older sister. Nice old not older. Oh interesting, that must mean there was also some neglect.
Speaker 1: I don't know like that. It's a perfect balance of things.
Speaker 4: You just have to.
Speaker 1: Make for a great person.
Speaker 3: Exactly. Yeah, other people. Other people's deep hurts make us feel so much better, exactly exactly.
Speaker 4: But he's that's the funniest line that I repeat. He's forgotten saying it that I repeat all the time about he's like one day he looks at me, he goes God. I remember being in my twenties and every day I would get ready and go outside, like maybe today my life will begin. Every every tidy's not ready and left the house to go do anything. It was like, okay, maybe now it all starts today. Yeah, they'll find.
Speaker 3: Out what it is.
Speaker 1: I still do that now.
Speaker 3: Every every single person does it. No, everyone's like anything anything besides Netflix, anything sides pizza delivered to my door.
Speaker 1: Totally.
Speaker 4: I do it.
Speaker 1: Every day.
Speaker 5: I put on a three piece suit, I get in the car, I have no destination. I'm like, let it starts today and I just do this. I just kind of drive around downtown and look for parking.
Speaker 3: I came up. I'm up in the Petaluma and as you can tell my.
Speaker 1: Sister or as I like to call it sometimes Temecula. Sorry make fun of myself there.
Speaker 3: But I was going to say, we had so I came up for my niece's confirmation, and so then my dad had like the party afterwards. So it was Adrian's family are my sister's best friend all her life, and my cousin Stevie's family, and so there was thirteen people there total, and it was I was like breathless the entire time, because I've truly been by myself in my house almost the entire quarantine except for a couple of times, and like one or two people have come come over, but for the most part, like I haven't been in a group scenario. But everybody had two shots, and it was and these are the people I've known my entire life, you know. It was at one point during dinner, somebody started eying, like I'm so touched, and then everybody on our side at the table started crying. All at the same time, and everyone's like, oh my god, what what's going on? What's going on? And it was just like and everyone got kind of drunk, and there was lots of like loud joke telling and really really loud laughing, and I was just like, oh my god, it's like we're all trying to get it out. Yeah, you know, it's like our big chance to like be human beings.
Speaker 1: And god, I love it. I love it. I think it's going to be an interesting year. I'm excited.
Speaker 5: I love to hear that anyone. Everyone's sort of on the verge of tears. That's the best case scenario.
Speaker 4: Yes, yeah, everyone, and everything's elevated, like you're feeling everything. My mom just did that with all of her college friends, Like she went they were all Backstep and they went to Virginia. They do it yearly. She was so upset that they didn't get to do it last year. And she's like, I mean, you know how moms are sometimes where Like I surprised her on her birthday a couple of weeks ago, and she was like so overwhelmed. All she could keep saying was like I'm so excited.
Speaker 1: You know, Like she could register and she just could.
Speaker 4: Only say the words like her brain her brain couldn't register it. So it's that thing where you're like, and she goes, how long do I have you for? Like, I'm here now, so let's do obsorb that part first before we talk about when I'm gonna rob you of me, which'll be devastating, I'm sure, but that's what parents do. So she had done that about the Virginia trip, where it was like and I didn't get to go last year, and it's like nobody went anywhere, but anyway, she goes, and I think they just had the most It was like the most intense fun. It was like going to prom, but for like a week where they just were all every minute of it, every morsel, like you know, every joke, every slice of cheese, every glass of wine. She was like, it was so fun, and I'm like, I can't wait.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I was saying, I want to start having parties at my house again, but I'm going to start having them with like in small groups, so it'll be small groups of well chosen people, so that if somebody gets super drunk and like bars in front of everybody, it's all the other people there will be like that's fine, we don't care. And then you just kind of build it slowly so that everyone gets good at it, crying, screaming, weird fighting, you know, you build it until it's like large party.
Speaker 5: And thank you for not saying that I would be the one vomination. I think it goes without saying, yeah, it really I don't know why I mentioned it.
Speaker 4: Or not.
Speaker 1: No, no, I've been doing fine. Well not I bought a bottle last night. The point is, what a fun theme?
Speaker 5: What a fun theme for the party that is actually pretty utilitarian to go, like, hey, let's have a vaccination celebration party, Karen, and then everyone, as a practice for having this vaccination passport or whatever, they have to bring their little card and then you have to ones at ease, like if that's the theme of it, even though maybe a lot of people are.
Speaker 3: Doing it or it sounds having the card, is that is that what we're going to do?
Speaker 4: I think, like I wondering about that.
Speaker 3: I mean, wear it right on your shirt. I think we should wear it like lamin. It's like backstage passes. Yeah, but then yeah, you know that everyone around you know, one's messing around.
Speaker 5: Maybe even put little heart shaped punches in mind, just to suggest that maybe I've had some boosters already.
Speaker 1: Free sandwich, free sandwich.
Speaker 5: In some way specifically, Yeah, yeah, you got it, because I'm lateis in Wait, no more big giant pants for me.
Speaker 4: Did you guys have different shapes during the pandemic. I definitely was a few different shapes. I was not one size this whole time.
Speaker 5: Was now I started. It's weird because I started in a panic. I'm like, well, I'm going to turn my living room into a gym and do chin ups and watch videos and do pilates in my apartment and eat not eat meat. I was doing pretty well, and everyone else is like, screw it, I have nothing to do. I'm going to have a bottle of wine. Things that make sense. And then the minute I see that society kind of getting back to normal and thriving again, that's when I'm like, Okay, I'm going to decide now to slow it down and start drinking again. I have to create my own obstacles. I'm not going to let this virus do it. So, you know, Yeah, so I've gained a little. I've yeah, I've gotten back to normal. But for a while, boy and Karen will attest to this.
Speaker 1: I was ripped.
Speaker 3: It was like, is that Dave Bautista my podcasting with I would say to him, Yeah, it's weird because I was doing the opposite where right when it was like we are going into quarantine as a nation, I was like, this is so scary and odd and never it's like unprecedented. So I was like, whatever I want to do is fine because I can't like I can't live in that hell of Oh but this, no, but that. So for the first six months, you know, as I was wiping down cereal boxes and doing all that crazy shit, I would just be like pizza and this and that. You know, it was like whatever it takes to get me through this thing. And then you know, basically at the end of last year, I was like, you got to tighten this up because you're going to get You're gonna be really unhappy. And then you're you know, like my thing is I never I'm so old and I don't like I'm I so resist like modern life where like everything is Instagram, everything is get your picture taken. Everyone wants to constantly take a picture, and I'm so not used to it, so I'm always like showing up at places like I can't tell you how many podcasts I've shown up to without makeup and like just out of the shower and then they're like, oh, this is video simulcast or some shit where you're just like, how about you put that in the fucking email. I worn a gal beforehand, So yeah, yeah, so here's that kind of thing. Yeah, there's lots of lots and lots of photos where I was just like, yeah, I should have I should have thought that through. So then I was like, well, then, now let's just rain this in a little bit so that by the time we reopen, it's not you haven't gone even further out than you already have. So but it doesn't. The problem is when you're just sitting at home, like I can be good during the day, but then by nighttime, I'm like, oh, doesn't fucking matter, and.
Speaker 5: I just yeah, returned ten year olds during summer, I've just been a fifteen year old during summer vacation this whole time, trying to marry my own rules, no.
Speaker 4: Rituals, no good habits. I know, I know it's been bad, and I'm also like guilty of that in general in the world. Similarly, where I'm like, I just don't think in terms of the taking the picture. I can barely remember that people can see me most of the time, like I do. I really just like this time I work cognitively, I'm just not not looking at it from the outside. And now they really can't see you, so like you can't there are no people to see you. So boy. I actually listened to you guys in preparation for today a previous podcast, and Karen was talking about getting having just showered, and I was like, you were talking about how you get the creepy feeling later in the day, and I was like, man, that really sounds like she showers every day. Now I'm in the play of judgment about myself and I'm not even outside, so it sounds like you've been Nelly's getting in there on the regular.
Speaker 3: In the beginning, I was not, ye, it was pretty yeah, that real hippie. It was the kind of thing where I would go, I would start feeling bad and then I would be like, oh, I know, I can take a shower, and it would be like that was the realization finally that it was just like, maybe do this more more often and you won't have to go through anything.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, for that brief feeling of invigoration. But then you wash your hair too much, you get dry scalp. Maybe that's just me.
Speaker 3: No, I think we all we all have gone through. Also, I had people working on my house, so I was like, it wouldn't kill you to have some clean hair and mask are on when people show up at your house. That wouldn't be bad. But that's good.
Speaker 4: Say you started trickling in the outside world before as a little practice, right, a little drip.
Speaker 5: Yes, yeah, we get all called up and then they just come in, where's the plumbing problem?
Speaker 1: And don't even look at you? But what about my Hey, I did that some rouge.
Speaker 3: I'm from the forties, mask, face of makeup covered by a mask, but I'm still good practice, good practice? Do you.
Speaker 4: Do?
Speaker 1: You do?
Speaker 5: You and Christian go do your separate things, so you make sure that you don't you aren't in each other's face too much.
Speaker 4: Well we we by the nature of the fact that I was doing an MFA like a Psycho that I just finished this week, So I.
Speaker 1: Was like, you went back to school. I did.
Speaker 4: I went, whoa, remember you were in the damn thing we shot? And then yeah, I just had to cut like a real directing reel and an acting real today separately that for something else, and you're on both of them.
Speaker 1: I gotta see it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's so cute.
Speaker 1: It was fun. It was almost like dramatic acting. I felt like it was well it was.
Speaker 4: It was a genre exercise and it was French New Waves. Wait, I was so silly. It was like really dumb. Its wonderful. That was.
Speaker 3: Your MFA was for directing. Yes, amazing, it was great, No, it was great.
Speaker 4: It was great. And so it was like crazy. The pandemic was actually pretty crazy because it was non stop. I never I felt like I never like got up from my chair or you know, just twelve somehow meant to have twelve hour days all the time anyway, and it was I guess the fact that I didn't have to drive downtown to USC was good. That was from Burbank was like sort of killing me before that, and so that felt like it was gonna give me my time back. But then there were other like you know, jobby things and just kind of keeping so I didn't I was I felt changed to my desk. And then he started this podcast that he's been it's like this magnum opus. It's like this, it's narrative and it's a musical, and it's like it's incredibly engineering and he's the only one making it. Should be twelve people. So as my therapist said that, she was like, hey, can't beat him. Join them right, meaning he finally figured out some way to be busier than I am. We're just like out busying each other. But I just finished, So I'm like ready to go dive into a pool and an ocean and swim up a river.
Speaker 5: And ready to make an ice break, go to a pool party at your house after Yeah, over.
Speaker 1: Tomorrow we get I was so excited.
Speaker 4: This is like where they I had a little bit of anxiety because we get on uncovided. We get fully rest in two days, the fourteen days over on Sunday of this week. But so my final film that I made screens on Zoom tomorrow, so tomorrow the screen. So I was like, maybe we can get away with a little having the crew over something. And I got so overwhelmed by the idea that I just didn't I'm not doing anything. We're like going to put pants on. We'll get there one step at a time.
Speaker 3: That's right, we can't. You don't You don't want to get the bends, the quarantine bend. Putting on pants all the time?
Speaker 1: Easy, easy, easy, yeah, easy on the way of the surface.
Speaker 3: Keep those large sun dresses coming.
Speaker 4: Just a little bit of a couch calf can.
Speaker 1: Yes, but but you know, seriously have a pool party, yeah please.
Speaker 4: But I mean this is this is the question. Do you are you like? Where's your laminate?
Speaker 3: You know?
Speaker 1: How do you is it?
Speaker 4: Do you are you going to have? Are you going to check on those? I mean I want to not be worried at all.
Speaker 3: Yes, you're worried for your ye right?
Speaker 1: And I think doing that as a theme.
Speaker 5: Who cares how it makes anyone feel it Once they're at a party and they know everyone has flashed their card, it will be people trying to put their faces in other people's faces.
Speaker 3: Don't you When I got my second shot? So sorry, you said you got yours only, But you're just waiting for the quarantine time.
Speaker 4: Yeah, the fourteen days comes Sunday night.
Speaker 1: Yeah, me too, me too, Sunday.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we're sorry because it's like I'll be get into your pool too.
Speaker 5: It's weird around three o'clock, right when the sun is at it's pinnacle.
Speaker 4: I am.
Speaker 5: Also, it's so weird that right when I'm cleared, I'm I'm going to buy new shorts, shorts so weird.
Speaker 4: BB shorts and worn.
Speaker 1: Yeah, short et, I'm getting that.
Speaker 3: Big short start the most popular short story. Everyone goes the short barn.
Speaker 1: The short bar.
Speaker 3: That's a good idea for your very I to say. When I got my second shot, I said to the guy who gave it to me. First of all, he gave it to me, and then I turned to him and I went, it's over. And I don't really know what I meant. I just wanted. I wanted it to be a trauma I wanted and he kind of just stared at me. But then I said, so, I shouldn't get this laminated right because there's spaces for boosters and who knows in the future. And then he went, no, you're probably gonna need to get He goes there's plastic sleeves and I go, yeah, but where do I get one of those? And he goes, hold on, and he went and got me one. So but personally, I can't wait to show people that I have that thing, like I uh, I just realized I didn't bring up with me on this trip though, but but like I was just thinking, Oh, if I had a party, what I'm gonna do is buy a box of those little sleeves and be like here, put this on and literally pin it to your shirt. Like how how comforting would that be to just be walking around a place where everybody.
Speaker 1: Had there Burger?
Speaker 3: Can I try your mappar any solid fingers.
Speaker 4: Waiting to share?
Speaker 5: I have a whole collection of him, So I can't wait to put my vaccine card. And then also be reminded of south By Southwest two thousand and five or whatever.
Speaker 3: It's called, yes Land years because we I had a birthday party for my friend. Remember the day last summer that was so hot. It was like one hundred and thirteen in La. It was like that crazy short heat wave. And my friend was going to have my friend was throwing my friend his birthday party and they were going it was going to be social distanced in a park. And my friend called whose birthday was called me. He goes he didn't even really want to have the party. He was just like he's he was ultra quarantine. But he was like, can we move it to your house? And so we can be in that pool because it's going to be one hundred and thirteen. And it was like absolutely so it truly was only like six people or six or eight people. Think we were also freaked out, like because it was July, I think.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I remember I just come back, or yeah.
Speaker 3: We were so freaked out, like everyone was trying to be cash and everyone's like we all got negative tests, but in our minds were like that kind of doesn't matter if you did three things after that test, yeah, like or you know, who knows what that actually means. So people were distanced. Some people had their masks on but then they ended up taking them off, but they still were like everyone was just it was the worst. I mean, it was great to be around human beings again, but it was we were also uncomfortable. So the idea of being able to do that and be like having that comfort back, do it for.
Speaker 1: Real for real?
Speaker 4: Yes? Yes, no questions, No, like I wonder if Mike, yeah test Mike to pass Bill his thumb Bill, Like did he really is? I just want to be here whatever that's that seems like that's the things that you do. Actually I asked that because of the show I was doing a couple of weeks ago, Like it was a show that on an a venue downtown on a roof, and like something happened where the bar got kicked out of the building and so they didn't have a venue, and so they came to they asked to come to Spoke, which is where we do a show and we'll be coming back, and so it was sort of like this show transfer thing and then they and then I was asked to be on the show so promote our show.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 4: It was just like a nice unexpected early earlier than I thought, doing a show outside and was managed by other people. So I had questions. I was like, well, what do you think? You know, like, are all the do you think all these people here are vaccinated? If you were to do a call in response, which I did, it sounded like one hundred percent of the people were. But it was kind of packed and like people were just out and over it, right, Yeah, So I asked somebody who's one of the hosts of the show.
Speaker 1: I was like, is this.
Speaker 4: What do you think is going to happen when it comes to like parties and stuff, like are we going to need to like show our car you know, how will we know that everyone's vaccinated? And it sounds like it's exactly what you were saying, and I that's what I would asking at a moment, like are we going to have to have like some the door?
Speaker 5: It only makes sense. Yeah, yeah, I'm gonna bring it with me. I've shown it to be unsolicited. I've shoved it in people's faces a couple of times. Down I brought it. I did a show in San Diego and it was kind of like that, except the audience was they really took care of the audience and took their temperature and they were all in tables far away from each other. But I was on stage and there was like a jazz band. It was like a jazz and music and comedy thing. And I right away I went up to the mic. I'm like, this is the same mic as the other guy. Oh right, I'm vaccinated. I don't have to worry so is he. We just had a conversation about there's a trombone there.
Speaker 1: I'm right near the spit valve like I was so paranoid about everything.
Speaker 4: But it was we're still wiping down the mic.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, I maybe I should have brought my own mic wipes, but it was so just as a side note, doing stand up with a band, I got into reggae and they played perfect reggae music and then they did some und I felt like a cruise ship entertainer was the best feeling.
Speaker 1: I felt like a kid again.
Speaker 5: I just and the audience was so excited and there was people looking for it was downtown people looking out windows, people in the street watching that something was happening, and you could just tell everyone was so excited. And I realized, while being scared of the microphone that like, oh, we're about to enter a very fun time for stand up. I'm like so excited about it. Yeah, it was the best time I've ever had. I felt like I had just started comedy again. I felt like I was twenty four.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I think audiences are going hopefully, like you know that thing in LA audiences where people are like, I'm an expert and I am I know comedy best and I'm here to I'm only here for the best jokes or whatever. Yeah, I just feel like those days are over because people are just like I'm here.
Speaker 4: Yes, yes, be a person.
Speaker 1: That's I mean.
Speaker 4: I always used to say like people would should on flappers, And I'm like, I love flappers, but I love flappers. There's people it's like you just drive over the hill and you get Americans go to a job and go out.
Speaker 1: To the state Indiana or something. Yeah, I agree, I like it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I love people who are up for it. Yeah, yeah, yep, yep.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I would say, like, I like that thing that we've missed about, not only human contact, but performing, that whatever energy between audience and performer that is only created live in stand up right, because can't be done on zoom obviously, you know, and studying you know, film or whatever and making all these movies. It's like, man, why didn't I start doing that earlier? Well, I was addicted to live performance. There was nothing that beat it. I mean, I probably should have started trying to figure out how to make things for posterity sooner, but that was not what I cared about at the you know, I was absolutely addicted to the thing that can only be created between an audience and a performer in the moment. It's like, there's nothing like it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there's nothing. There's nothing better. And I think, you know, for myself, as a person who I honestly thought that that kind of performing like I would do stand up here and there around Dela in different ways. But I thought that like I wouldn't that, I just kind of wouldn't be doing that again. And because of live podcasts, the kinds of shows me and Georgia have been able to do, like it's like it's like Christmas every night, Yes, in that way where you have an audience that absolutely wants to like there's no winning anybody over it. They're already there with you. Every time I walk on stage at those shows, it's truly like I won the lottery over and over again. And it's so I realized, like I've done lots of other things that have been exciting and cool or whatever, but this is a ship I started. This is what I'm in it for. And this feeling of being able to be on stage and make a very large group of people laugh at one time that there's nothing like that, there's just it's the best.
Speaker 1: High of all of all the high.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I told myself it didn't matter to me at the beginning. I think I did a good job of forgetting it about it and then you had to. I think that if if if we were to get another India like wave of some whatever.
Speaker 1: Some it's not going to happen.
Speaker 5: But if that were to, I would really be bummed out because I just had a taste of it at that show in San Diego.
Speaker 1: That Yeah Riff City show. It was so fun.
Speaker 5: I'm like, oh my god, I haven't felt this happy from anything from Ship's Creek or making dollhouses, or golfing or skateboarding, everything that's gotten Watching Creak, yeah, oh.
Speaker 4: I do it all.
Speaker 1: I got it?
Speaker 3: Are you the Starship's crazy?
Speaker 5: Yeah, I watch I hit golf balls at the screen. My TV looks terrible, or just everything I've gotten into that. I'm like, oh, this makes me happy. This is what normal people do.
Speaker 3: I've done.
Speaker 5: Okay, I've felt but now I'm I'm fucked because I really the other night I'm still high from it. Afterwards, I like couldn't sleep. I stayed up in bed. I felt like a kid again. It felt like Christmas. I just yeah, I can't wait. I can't wait. We're we're coming up on good times.
Speaker 1: I think, well, you.
Speaker 4: Both have to come to the Frogtown show. It's river side. I always think of it like I always think of it as a bit of a ferrier or a love boat cruising along the river because it's right there. So that's that's the vine that it has. We're on the deck of some kind of steamer.
Speaker 3: Or something.
Speaker 1: On sorry it is the river.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I we worked in a building that was basically across the street from there. Yes, And when we worked on Portlandia that season, it was just like right there and we went over one day just to be like what is this and I was like, oh my god, they do that comedy. I didn't realize it was your show, but I knew they did a comedy show there, and it's I love that neighborhood.
Speaker 4: It's really cool, magical, it's so magical. I mean that experience too, that was always really fantastic. We were there and like in that area at another spot, just in the backyard of like a little store and that too, but we were kind of under the freeway. It was not nearly as sexy, but it was still so something very magical about Like we started that show in the Inner Sanctum at the UCB Sunset, and like, I think it wasn't that that wasn't good. There was just something about it where we really wanted to get to a neighborhood, like to the people, and that's immediately what happened was that show is always like kind of a banger because it was people were realized they like could walk out of there. People sure, yeah, it's so good like that neighborhood. Actually, now I think people kind of ship in for that show, But the way that it built up was really just people like I can I can go walk out of my house and having to have dinner and then go over here and have an experience. It was so cute.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know, I was thinking of this is not related to live performance, but I did have this very strong fantasy because right before the quarantine started, Bridger Wineger and I went to there's a pizza place in Atwater that was kind of newer. I think it's a thing. It's called like Diane's or something, and it like inside it looks very seventies. Inside it's very San Francisco in the seventies or was like it just reminded me of just a certain vibe. And we went there on a night where it was packed, and I remember and we were like just got this table and kind of got in and there was tons of people, and that would be my like mid quarantine fantasy where I'd be like, what if I was that that pizza place just like that?
Speaker 2: And it was not.
Speaker 3: I mean, the food is great, everything's great, but it wasn't that. It was being in a lot a restaurant where people were it was so packed, it was loud, and it was casual because it was like pizza. Like the whole experience where I was fantasizing about shit that I took so for granted beforehand. And I think there's that piece too. People are coming not just enjoying themselves, but I think having that kind of like, oh this isn't We could lose all of this at any point, And people, even the most superficial, even the most beautiful people, are probably having even slight realizations about that, you know what I mean, Like, yeah, yeah, we didn't know it could be taken away.
Speaker 5: That's unprecedented. Even beautiful people are so lonely they're talking to it. Inanimate objects gets an even.
Speaker 3: Playing field rualizer.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I have to, we have to. I guess we all have something against beautiful people.
Speaker 3: But they are like, oh my god, I can't fuck the curve for the rest of the Yeah, and I can't.
Speaker 5: I will never again yell. Can everyone be quiet in here? I'm trying to eat pizza.
Speaker 1: I'm just so excited for like the sound of.
Speaker 3: People socializing, you know, the sound of like you know, and of course there's a comic in me who needs the attention. Is like, I want to be up above those people making them listen to me. Yeah, but I also I also do really like being in those people want is good too. I want to go to concerts.
Speaker 5: For I took it for granted ever since Austin, where they shove live music down your throat. It's like such a big and I loved it, and I but here, I never did go to live shows or I did occasionally here in Echo Park since I moved here.
Speaker 1: But I'm going to go to I'm going to go to live music every week. I really am. And I'm going to be excited.
Speaker 5: When I'm in a restaurant and I'm trying to take a bite and someone bumps my elbow, I'm.
Speaker 3: Guess all the thank you.
Speaker 1: I can't wait elbow ow you stepped on my foot. I love you.
Speaker 4: I'm gonna be happy to never be good at dismounting from a conversation as I was before, I'll still be bad at it, but I'll love it.
Speaker 3: Right, Yeah, everyone will be bad, you know, which is I think has always been true. I love the idea of social anxiety, which we all have and whatever various insecurities that we all have. But now, truly I feel like, like during quarantine, I would regret think about all the parties I would blow off, and the reasons I would blow them off is like I don't have a good shirt, don't feel this, feel bad.
Speaker 1: About that your camera?
Speaker 3: Yeah exactly, I don't have enough eyeliner on. But now I have that thing where it's just like everyone gained weight in quarantine. Everyone's desperate, everyone wants to socialize, like there is a there's a great evening of all of this and yes, you know whatever that evening of the playing field. Yes not nighttime. Yeah I'm saying yes, yes, yes, yes, I mean where it's like we all have social anxiety. Now, even if you're the most confident, tall, beautiful person in the world, you're fucked up. You don't know how to make small talk anymore.
Speaker 5: God, I love that we all realize, yeah, we can feel uh you know, sorry for these beautiful people finally I'm.
Speaker 3: Going to walk up beautiful people.
Speaker 1: It's hard.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna walk up and say I pity you, pity you, sir. Here's my phone number. Call me everything. It's a way to right. You get super condescending of like, I know this is harder for you. Call me anytime.
Speaker 4: Yes, we're used to being a crystal. You were always a butterflies, so yeah, but that hurt.
Speaker 5: Yeah, give me a call because I'm in my pupa stage and they'd be like, it's been too long.
Speaker 1: I don't know what that means.
Speaker 3: Oh my god.
Speaker 4: I was in the beginning like I same thing where like one of the first films I made in school was like from a stand up joke I had about my social anxiety. So it's a film about a woman who hates parties. I used to be like, this's my little load of people who hate parties. Yeah, and then I never really like put it out anywhere, and then it was quarantine. I was like, God, remember when I made that movie about people who hate parties? That will never be relevant again. I guess I want to sit on that. And my friend Ali, who was in it, was like, but just put it out as historic fiction. Yes, remember when you could hate parties.
Speaker 3: Yes, it's anachronistic. Now it says, oh yes the time before.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I'm going to even have a party. I'm gonna have my two year late housewarming.
Speaker 3: Yes, do it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's all pack in there.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 4: Do you think we can get it my place?
Speaker 1: I mean, I mean yeah, I'm thinking five people for room per room. I got like basically.
Speaker 5: Five rooms might be weird for people to just hang out in my bedroom. But yeah, fifteen twenty How about that bathroom? I can do fifteen twenty one person and they one has four one has to be against the.
Speaker 1: Sink, the other one has to be literally sitting on the toilet.
Speaker 5: Oh, there's the shower. Okay, yes, I could have twenty three people over here.
Speaker 3: Yes, and then like every fifteen minutes, you there's a buzzer and you yell, rotate, and then kind of like a volleyball game, but in your house, everyone.
Speaker 5: Moves room and everyone leaves freshly showered. Because we all forgot how to do that. Everyone takes a shower. I have towels for everyone. You start in the kitchen, I'll have food there. Everyone asks to watch their favorite program. Everyone asked to go in the bathroom and watch.
Speaker 1: Their stank ass.
Speaker 3: It's gonna be great.
Speaker 5: Okay, I'll think of a title for my party. Karen, you have the you have the vaccination party, the vaccination card party. And I'm sorry, but I've designated Emily to have the swim party where.
Speaker 1: We get it play. Uh yeah, there's a net and everything. It's so fun. I mean, that's the last time.
Speaker 5: Yes, and I get to push people into the pool when they don't know it's going to happen. That's so fun because they're in shorts and they want.
Speaker 1: To be mad.
Speaker 4: You can just do it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they don't. They're in shorts because.
Speaker 4: We got to get in there. I got to get in there. I spent like because of the way that the last year went down. I swear to you, I've been staring at that pool the same way anybody who doesn't live here. Really. Yeah, I mean I've been in there like in the hot tub once or twice, but like I had just been so so slammed that like this week, I genuinely I've been dreaming about like how how do I how do I do it? Right? Do I put on roller skates in a kimono and like swan dive into the like I just really want to enter.
Speaker 3: Do you have?
Speaker 1: Yes, you're saying all this aside, you should start roller skating.
Speaker 4: Yes, I haven't done that either. I got them amid pandemic and couldn't even get out there.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so did my friends sooner she got like brand new roller skates, and she said she hasn't even used him.
Speaker 1: It's like, you gotta skate.
Speaker 3: Rollers Instagram Instagram and act like you did.
Speaker 5: I wouldn't say this if you got roller blades. I'm a bit of a wheel snob.
Speaker 4: Well, I used to roller blade, and I used to go to wait, are do you what? What do you prefer? What's your snumber?
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's some trucks, little skateboard trucks on there.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, four wheels, four wheels down.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Christian has told me many times. He's like, it's surprisingly easy make roller skates. I did it when I was a kid.
Speaker 1: What, Yeah, I get it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I just saw a little tutory. I mean, as far as you have to buy the actual hardware, but you can put them on any you want. Cowboy boot roller skates that are legitimate and aren't gonna feel janky.
Speaker 1: You can do that.
Speaker 5: You can have any footwear and turn it into a roller skate. That's an exciting thing to look forward to in the future.
Speaker 3: You like sketter shape, but that's a firm note.
Speaker 1: All of this is carrot.
Speaker 5: I was scared when I start skating again. I got padded shorts for my hip and I have a big square padded ass.
Speaker 1: But it made me comfortable. You just get or put Sharman back there, like I.
Speaker 3: Mean, I like, I like a roller rink roller skating situation for sure, but I don't skit street roller skating to me seems like a bad idea. You're going to get hip by a car or something like you're going to hit a patch where there's weird gravel on the street. It all seems like a recipe for falling down, which I think I'm just a tad too old to be risking. But at the roller rink it's a different thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's yeah.
Speaker 4: Back in the I do, I feel like it was like the most eighties memory I have as my parents and all their friends, like right when they were about to hit forties, so they were all like late thirties, early forties something like that. They had all gone to Golden Gate Park and rented roller skates and gone roller skating, and they were probably drinking. I don't know, but I just remember they all came back with broken bones.
Speaker 1: Yees yeah, wrists, broken wrists.
Speaker 4: There's like a split chin, broken wrist, because that's.
Speaker 1: The whole thing in the park there.
Speaker 5: They kind of like in Venice Beach, where you'll just there's disco and these unlikely characters that are really like figure skatingly good at roller skating.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 5: And I remember when I was a kid going in Golden Gate Park and seeing that. It was like a scene and still it sang.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I love it. I love that that exists.
Speaker 5: And I don't know where else do they have a scene like that in Paris or whatever, But they had one in Venice Beach and I and I think it's mimicking the one in San Francisco that stood out so much to me when I was a kid seeing everyone roller skate. I'm like, there's grown ups spinning and twirling and doing pirouettes and stuff.
Speaker 1: It was so dammy. Yeah, yeah, it's like dance skating like this. Yeah yeah, yeah.
Speaker 4: Sundays when I was a kid, because we weren't. My parents were super happy. He's like we weren't. We didn't have any candy or anything, chocolate nothing.
Speaker 1: I was like, yeah, all carib Yeah, I'm with you, I'm with you there.
Speaker 4: My first soda was like I was like in fourth grade on the Green River, I got a diet caffeine free coke. I was like, what I mean in retrospect, like, what the fuck is that for?
Speaker 1: Who is that for?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Who even?
Speaker 4: Is it?
Speaker 3: A really really amped up lady that's on a diet it She's like, I can't take it.
Speaker 1: Weeks ago to.
Speaker 4: So, there was one fast food restaurant in the city of San Francisco growing up. It was McDonald's on Hate Street and Stanion. Yes, yes, lots of that, And the only time we ever got to have it is if we did from my house, which was in like the outer Richmond kind of up by the Cliff House almost. We would ride bikes. When they shut down Golden Gate Park, we ride bikes Children's playground and get McDonald's. So that those Sundays, even though we rode like I want to say, six miles round trip and the rest of getting home was all up like ninety degree Hills Best Memories of my life McDonald's roller Skaters, Like it was like these insane slides of children's playground that were just straight up and this cardboard dborne to go down concrete and it was a dream. I mean, yes, it lost teeth.
Speaker 3: It was great. I want seventies.
Speaker 5: I want to skate in San Francisco. Now, you just made me so excited the seventies in.
Speaker 3: San Francisco too. I think I was watching the Harvey Milk documentary and there was you know, they show like when they were trying to go out and be like, what are you doing. We cannot let these lunatics pass these laws about like you know, there can't be gay teachers and all that crazy shit they were trying to do. And of course it's a very moving it's a beautiful documentary. It's a very important documentary. But as I watched it, I was just like it was blowing my mind. I'm like, these are all my childhood memories because it's like everything was orange and brown and yellow, and in San Francisco there was just like these these looks that of like, you know, it's just so specific, like Nineteenth Avenue and that gap, you know, like all those like me.
Speaker 4: It was that that war plane that was that was a part. Yes, I actually lost a tooth on that and my brother broke a bone.
Speaker 3: I think, yes, everyone did. It was super sharp and like open like a there was rusty like exposed metal, unfinished metal, and you had to get in that plane like it was. It was a jungle.
Speaker 4: It was just it was just like a bomber with like concrete port inside of it. And they're like there you go. And there was maybe yeah, not even always sand underath like I think the sand came later.
Speaker 1: Yeah, just be just a cement.
Speaker 4: It was just just grass or whatever. And then they're like, I guess we should make this like more absorbent because they are all falling off of this constantly.
Speaker 3: It was a war plane for children to play on like that. Literally, it wasn't a concept thing someone made for children plan It was a retired warping.
Speaker 1: Inside of it. Many many servicemen had died on Yes.
Speaker 4: So crazy, so insane. My dad used to make woodburn signs back in those early days, like when he was between jobs before career kind of. He used to make those signs, and I remember my my nursery school. He used my hands for Lone Mountain Nursery school, Like it's so such a specific, like San Francisco. Also like Sunset Cycles. I think he did, just like these little stores with those little word burned stars signs and you said.
Speaker 1: Heat up your hands and make you touch the wood.
Speaker 4: Yes, nobody used my outline, and then became a shirt. And the shirt was also very similar like Sunset with mount colds and orange and.
Speaker 1: Those are my hands, yes exactly, you know what they said?
Speaker 4: What do you think the kids said, Uh, it's.
Speaker 3: No, they aren't exactly if you're lying there.
Speaker 1: They met, and then you realize you group it was five years later.
Speaker 4: Yeah, shit, you're describing an experience berbadim or. And then when it was printed on the shirt, they're like, they don't those are smaller than your hands, you know, like they couldn't conceive Yeah, because my hand size was not the same size as the shirt prim.
Speaker 3: And then you were like, let me stop you for a second. Why would this be a brag? What? Why would this what kind of lie? Who would make up a line this specific?
Speaker 1: Go with me, it's plain.
Speaker 5: Last night I did a show for my hometown. There was like it was a Missoula Gibbs thing. It was a fundraiser show and it was a zoom show, but it was really fun. And then I noticed because I said, there have to be there has to be people laughing in the room. And I recognized all the laughs as childhood friends of mine, so it was a nice surprise. I'm like, that's Andy Chemis, that's Aaron Huffman. I knew her laugh and whatever. But afterwards they all called me and we were talking about that same thing, like our our When I went home and everyone's like, get out of here because I had California plates, I was yelling, I'm a Paxson panther.
Speaker 1: I went to Paxton element just to get.
Speaker 5: People from killing me because I thought I was bringing COVID there and she was like, remember how you designed the T shirt for uh.
Speaker 1: There was a little contest and I forgot about it.
Speaker 5: But the logo at the school was something I drew when I was a little grain or something.
Speaker 1: It was a pick.
Speaker 5: We had to come up with the mascot, and I think I won. It was the Packson Elementary School and we didn't have a mascot. I'm like, what about panthers. Here's a cat and then it was like on a T shirt. So it was the same thing. If I I forgot that I did that. But if I saw someone like I drew that panther shut up, a kid drew it, I was the kid. I'm just not a kid anymore.
Speaker 3: Let the kids have their glory, yeah, as adults later in life. Let me when they need it. I took it for granted when I was before before. I don't want to end this podcast without you guys talking about your movie that you made, because I don't know if I told you, if I told you this personally, but when I watched this, will you say it? What was it called? Again?
Speaker 4: Well?
Speaker 5: There Emily was in uh green Boy the drag Net one, which you were so good as the old timey working girl. Ay oh, isn't it interesting when you come along when you need something or whatever you did that you do it better?
Speaker 1: Sorry, but the big one. Yeah, we did that. Freeway to free way to help.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah, so freeway to Hell's what I was talking about. And when I saw it, I didn't recognize you. Your acting was so good. Yeah, for real, I was blown away because I was like, who's this girl? I knew everyone else in it, and who's this girl? And I didn't because you were doing that fifties, you were doing all kinds of stuff. And finally I went, that's fucking Emily.
Speaker 4: It was.
Speaker 1: It blew my mind. Yeah, you're getting really good in that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, thank you so much.
Speaker 5: I remember watching it just assuming, well, it's kind of my thing. I had small shine, and you were fucking so good that. Oh my god, I felt dumb in the scenes. I'm like, well, I'm just being myself. Emily is actually an actor.
Speaker 4: You know what's funny about that is that I I studied the movie and the era because I didn't know what we were doing. So let me try to I think that that's what we're doing. Let me capture the essence of that.
Speaker 1: Sure, No, you were right to do that. That's also a reason you're a real actor. Yeah, I had no reason.
Speaker 3: You nailed it. You really nailed it.
Speaker 4: Thank you, thank you.
Speaker 3: It's just I love when you. I feel like these days, well or oft times, are people that we know, or when you know people who are actors, it's just like, yeah, it's people being themselves, or it's like I'm so confident and natural that I'm just going to be myself and in this situation. So when and when people don't do that and they're like, I'm going to be a character and have this outfit in this hairstyle, then you're like, oh no, because it's like like ham cornball over the top.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you're putting yourself out there.
Speaker 3: Ma.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 3: But in that, yeah, in that, you had the hair, you had the thing, and then there was this character where it was just like who they cast, Like they got this girl. It took me forever to recognize you.
Speaker 1: It was just cool.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it feels really good.
Speaker 4: Thank you so much.
Speaker 5: That's just what I feel like everyone else to watch Freeway to Hell and watch Emily and.
Speaker 4: Is so so funny.
Speaker 1: It's so funny.
Speaker 4: I'm actually really think that I did watch it and think like, you absolutely shine because you, guys, you this medium for you is so such a perfect framing a box pedestal or what you know, framing device for a mantle for you and what you do, it's just incredible.
Speaker 5: It would be fun to do it episodically and maybe one day we will, who knows, but yeah, it's it is really fun to I don't.
Speaker 4: Know why we didn't run right back to it. And green screen last year would have been a.
Speaker 3: Safe Yeah, that was.
Speaker 5: It was like, now's a perfect time to pitch this as a show because it's literally people.
Speaker 1: In front of a green sheet in the room.
Speaker 5: So well done, but if you watch the process it's I mean, what we did was in that studio and stuff, but the other ones were just in in my cup Church's living room, and I was like, really, this will he's They're just a thing covered with green felt and a curtain behind me. But he's so good with the after effects as tell it. Yeah, it requires one person in a room.
Speaker 4: My mom talked about that a lot. I don't know if I told you that, she just wouldn't. I mean, she saw that and it blew her mind and then it was cool.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh.
Speaker 4: She was just like And then when COVID came around, and I was trying to figure out what to do about my thesis because I had developed this thesis that I was going to shoot as a muscle car road comedy and COVID came, I couldn't get there was no I had a guy in New Mexico ready to trail out like three cars and do stunts and drive and everything, and so that was how far we were. We were like going to shoot late May last year.
Speaker 1: Oh wow.
Speaker 4: Then in order to get out of school to figure out what I was going to do instead, because you need like a final project, and kind of got lucky in some ways with this thing that I pitched and want a budget at the school and then did this virtual thing that we did differently. But there was a moment of like trying to figure out what I was going to do with that, and my mom was like, what about your friend friend does all the greens like she's just like, oh my gosh, she is.
Speaker 1: A great.
Speaker 5: I love getting the approval of other people's parents when I did when I was young.
Speaker 1: I'll take it now. That's great for real.
Speaker 3: There is something about winning, winning over a different generation, like people who aren't immediately like hip or whatever, and they and they like it and it's big and that's that's the ultimate compliment.
Speaker 1: Oh I want I want elderly people to like me. I will always want that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you can connect.
Speaker 3: It's like you're gonna get it this summer, Chris, it's your summer to hook up.
Speaker 1: With old people.
Speaker 7: Yes, pool, party, hot, splashy summer. Yeah, right, let's see if you can still swim grabs.
Speaker 3: You like Fox News, It's going to be on real loud in every room.
Speaker 5: Yeah yeah, yeah, when I go to when I go to their parties, yeah, yes, at their parties, we're going to watch Fox together.
Speaker 3: And we have another one books and this well one.
Speaker 4: I just don't want to end this podcast before we get a commitment from Karen that she will be attending this pool Swarwick.
Speaker 3: Yeah, okay, here's my Honestly, my new thing is I'm going to all parties. I'm saying yes to life all that kind of shit because my social life was terrible before quarantine. So you can imagine a year and a half of not even even swimming your choice though, yes selfishly, but I also it was that thing of like I'm too tired, I'm to this, I'm to that, Like I always had these reasons that I felt so justified, and then sitting home alone for a year is just like, yeah, I made some mistakes. That wasn't That wasn't the way to do it. So yeah, if you're inviting, the answer is.
Speaker 5: Yes, for sure, Yeah, for sure, the for real I cannot wait all podcasting right now. Aside, let's I want to can we can? I I don't have a pool otherwise we have of.
Speaker 4: Course, Okay, great, I need I might need help, just like focusing my brain on how to approach it. That's all.
Speaker 3: So yeah, should we have you do a plug before you go? Still?
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, definitely, we'd love to. The Frogtown Show is going to be back second and fourth Saturdays, moving forward starting May twenty seconds, so our first one back. I've spoke bicycle Cafe where Instagram or the frontown show La and it's gonna be super fun, I think to coole buyers on that first show, and I'll figure out who else but you guys got to call a f a P. I mean, I can't wait, Chris, are you frozen? Or are you?
Speaker 3: And then.
Speaker 5: I can't tell I would like you and I'm right, I mean that's a I mean it's a bike ride away for me.
Speaker 4: I know, immediately hit you guys up for dates as soon as we hang up, and then and then and then I'm proud of this final movie that I made in Quarantine kind of like we uh AIRBN beat me and the actresses we weren't allowed to do like any contact. So it's me and two actresses and Airbnb. We made a horror comedy called Boo hag or a shadow Man and it's not necessarily out, but if anybody wants to see what a movie that was made by three people locked in a house looks like, uh, dm me and I'll send you a link.
Speaker 1: Oh wow, that's great. I will be one of the people dming. Well.
Speaker 3: It's like, yes, yes, please money, I can't wait to share. There's a screening tomorrow night on Instagram.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Emily Myamels. I'm Emily my Mills. Wherever you go, wherever you get your internets, so no matter where, matter where, her name remains the same from it, no matter of the venue exactly or the vista point.
Speaker 1: Yes, and I think that's it.
Speaker 4: I'm excited for summer. I'm excited for summer half sandwiches. Other people have eaten some of I can't wait.
Speaker 1: Everything.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, I want to stand next to some sweaty slices of cheese on the table in the sun.
Speaker 1: And I want to get elbowed while I'm putting one in my mouth.
Speaker 3: I can't wait, Yes, I can't wait, can't wait.
Speaker 1: It's so good to see you, it's so.
Speaker 4: Oh my gosh, I'm going to see you both, and I went to see your fleshy faces.
Speaker 1: I can't. Oh yeah, trust me, it's fleshier and goodness you too.
Speaker 3: Karen, Yes, you my friend.
Speaker 1: You've you've you've been listening to. Do you need to ride? D Y N A R? Are I leave it?
Speaker 3: Are you you way back home? Either way we want to be there.
Speaker 2: Doesn't matter how much baggage you claim and give us time and a terminol and gay.
Speaker 3: We want to send you off in style. You wanna welcome you back home? Tell us all about it. We scared her? Was it fine?
Speaker 4: Melbourne?
Speaker 1: Do you need to ride? Do you need to ride? Do you need to ride?
Speaker 5: Do you need to ride?
Speaker 3: Do you need to ride?
Speaker 4: Do you need to ride?
Speaker 1: Ride?
Speaker 4: Do you need.
Speaker 5: Little?
Speaker 1: Little with Karen and cress.
Speaker 4: M h
Speaker 3: M hm