Speaker 1: You are listening to The Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio Our.
Speaker 2: Two on this Tuesday, Dan and the Dan Nets Dan Patrick Show. Frank calliendo. I just saw Frank. He's going to join us. We'll talk to Steve Young the Niners QB a little later on, and we'll talk to Christopher mad Dog Russo in a moment. Stat of the Day is always brought to you by Panini America, the official trading cards of The Dan Patrick Show. You can dat us up. We'll get those phone calls. Best weekend eight seven to seven three. DP Show Operator Tyler is sitting by. He'll take your phone calls. Email address Dpatdanpatrick dot com, Twitter handle a DP show. The Winter Olympics kickoff in four days with the opening ceremony. Join the celebration on NBC and Peacock. If you'd like to join us at the China Basin Park here in the shadows of McCovey Cove and of course this beautiful ballpark oracle here with the San Francisco Giants. First come, first serve, and we'd love to have you here. Great audience here, second best audience that we've had so far this week. But there's always room for improvement. There always room for improvement. Oh. By the way, it is a meet Tuesday. Every day. We're serving food courtesy of Heartland Steak Company. We have port shops. We have Iowa port chops, not to be confused with American port chops, and dill crusted salmon courtesy of Heartland Steak Company. Who has it better than we do?
Speaker 3: No body?
Speaker 2: All right? Pull question from our one seat, and then we'll go to our two and we'll bring in Christopher mad Doug Russo. By the way, I have a prop bet here. I don't know if this is going to change, which will be greater the Seahawks points scored in Super Bowl sixty or James Harden's points scored against the Timberwolves. But I don't know if James Harden when is that game? Because Harden might be traded to Cleveland before that game, So I don't we have to keep an eye on that. Marvin, thank you, all right, Seaton poll question from our one. What're we going with our two?
Speaker 4: Yeah, we got a few of them up there is there anti patriots bias in this year's Hall of Fame voting Right now, seventy five percent of the audience say yes. Should there be anti Patriots bias? And this year's Hall of Fame voting seventy percent say no? And who would you want to grab dinner with? This is our guest list today, Ross Tucker, Christopher mad Dog Russo, Frank Kelly Endo, and Steve Young. Right now, Steve Young just barely excuse me, Ross Tucker leading that one.
Speaker 2: Follow it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's pretty much a four way ti though.
Speaker 2: Let's make way for Christopher mad Dog Russo, host of mad Dog Unleash on Sirius XM channel eighty two. You'll see him on first take as well, out here doing his show and is a beloved city that he grew up loving the giants. This first time I think we've had Chris in person on the show. Make way for mad Dog Russo. Yeah, yeah, look at that.
Speaker 3: How are we doing?
Speaker 2: Everything's good?
Speaker 3: You Marvin God flits back there in the corner.
Speaker 2: How much coffee have you had some of your Thanks to you.
Speaker 6: My first one, Thanks to you, Thanks to you.
Speaker 2: Can you give us a all right.
Speaker 3: Good morning everybody? That is a good one.
Speaker 1: That's so.
Speaker 2: Chris worked with Mike Francesa. They pretty much created sports talk radio and this in New York at w f A N. But when you first started doing that, I'm curious what Mike Francessa thought when you start the radio.
Speaker 3: With the end.
Speaker 6: Yeah, you know, I I'd have to go back to see if I did it on the first show.
Speaker 3: I doubt I did.
Speaker 6: Probably evolved and it became a staple, so I I I probably we did it within the first three or four months of eighty nine, So I'm not exactly. I'm sure I didn't do it the first day. I just I did hand. But I'm sure somehow, some way I just evolved. You know how radio is it? You know, you try something, it seems like.
Speaker 3: People like it, You stick with it, You stick with it.
Speaker 6: And I can't get rid of that hand right now if it was the last thing on earth. But yeah, so but and remember one day about Mike. Remember I did that famous thing when I killed the Giants, when I lost the Marlins in ninety three, Remember that famous I was so upset when I got beat by the Marlins when they won a championship in oh three, not ninety three.
Speaker 3: So I mean and I went rant did that?
Speaker 6: Mike would always he understood where you know what this this is good. Let's let this roll. And you know a lot of it was me screaming and yelling about something. Yeah, and Mike understood that. You know that you were with us, you were part of it forever. Yeah, and Mike realized that. So the end is one of those one of those categories.
Speaker 2: I don't know if you know this, but Fritzy does not like Bruce Springsteen. You, of course your theme music to open the.
Speaker 3: Show Radio Nowhere.
Speaker 6: Yes, yeah, I called the music company to make sure I can do that, because you know that they own the rights. Say, Chris played as much as you want. So that's why I did the Radio Nowhere. And I that I did start very early at serious And oh wait, I was at the first show. Maybe not but the first the first month or so I started that, and.
Speaker 3: I was thinking about this.
Speaker 6: You know, I was at the first ball game, first game in this park in two thousand when it opened, and Kevin Elster hit three homers and the Giants lost to La. Do you remember that he hit three homers. I came all this way. I sat with my lovely wife behind the first base, dugout, Mike got me the tickets and also hit three bombs.
Speaker 3: We lose the game for.
Speaker 5: Kind of luck.
Speaker 2: I told you want to give a mad dog a little Springsteen?
Speaker 3: Here, go ahead, Todd.
Speaker 7: Come on, now, does you Putter cares them?
Speaker 3: That's pretty good.
Speaker 2: But he doesn't like Springsteen.
Speaker 3: He's got it figured out.
Speaker 7: I respect it, but I just I don't know. I say, people, I've gone fifty times in wisconcerts. We had Larry Bearer, Yes, they were telling me, CEO. And you know, these stadiums have a shelf life. I can't imagine what they would do differently here. And it's I think thirty years old, and you start to see that's around the end of a shelf life for a stadium, and then we have to have a new one here. Can Oracle Park survive? And yes it can be, Like can can it grow into a Wrigley Fenway?
Speaker 3: Why not? And I think a lot of.
Speaker 6: Those stadiums out there that in baseball are new. Peco is a great park. You know, I think you'd agree.
Speaker 3: I love peck Go. I don't know if you've been there. It's a great park.
Speaker 7: I have.
Speaker 2: They didn't take advantage of the visitors.
Speaker 6: Though, yeah, probably not, but like this this is they did a great You know, I'll take another great park that I like. Oh, Camden is obviously going to be around forever too. They did a great job. I remember they were gonna build the park in eighty nine because the Giants got the World Series, but they had the earthquake, so as a result that got put aside.
Speaker 3: They were gonna build Luria Park. They didn't build it.
Speaker 6: He sells it, McGowan buys it, and they played in Candlestick in that ninety three, in that whole period.
Speaker 3: And then McGowan, the late.
Speaker 6: Pete McGowan is the guy grew up in the Upper East Side, was a big Bobby Thompson fan, and he's the guy that really did all the work, as you know, Danny to build this park because it's all private money and it is a great park. I mean, you know, I came with the World Series show in O two. I was here at the World Series when they beat Texas, when they beat Detroit. I mean I was here a lot in the early days. And he used to go to Candlestick a lot too. You go to Candlestick for a ball game.
Speaker 3: One time, Oh I was there, cold, Oh jeseuz. One time he went, let's.
Speaker 2: Just see I think it was the Giants Dodgers. Well, that's a good one. I remember seeing Marshall.
Speaker 3: Well that's way back.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, yeah, and I it was so cold, and I just said, I don't need to go back to that stadium again. And I grew up a John Brody.
Speaker 3: Fan like I like us passed away.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I grew up. I loved the Niners' uniforms and they weren't that's successful back then. But I love the way they look, you know, just like the Chargers. I went to Bengals games and the Chargers came out in those uniforms.
Speaker 8: All.
Speaker 3: I love it. I agree with you. Those George uniforms are great.
Speaker 6: Old Keyzar Stadium where the Niners played, which is still up by the way because they play a lot of high school games in there. They have the birds flying old. That was a great stadium, and I think the I think the forty nine ers have lost something when their stadium is forty.
Speaker 3: Four miles away.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean.
Speaker 3: A stadiums it's nowhere near here. I mean it's in another city. I mean it really is.
Speaker 6: And they should be called the San jos A Niners instead of the San Francisco nine. So I think that they've lost a little something in a giant state in the city, so which is good. And I know now the Warriors and the Oakland Coliseum was a great arena, and I used to love the Cow Palace, which is across the street near the airport. And when the Warriors beat the Bullets, you remember this andander, but they played the games at the Cow Palace because the Oakland Coliseum was not available. And that was a weird final because the first game is in Washington and games two and three were in the Calu Potas and the Bullets had.
Speaker 3: The home court. So the Warriors won the first game, and they came out here up one.
Speaker 1: Oh.
Speaker 3: They won the two games and they swept them near number that with Rick Barrier, Rick Barry, No.
Speaker 6: I loved it in the old Calupantis, the old fairgrounds building. But this one, you're right, you're one hundred percent right there in this park.
Speaker 3: Will be here a long long time ago.
Speaker 6: The Giants got some issues because you know, the Dodgers are blown them away in this division.
Speaker 3: They can't gave way to take their money.
Speaker 6: Whether it's Otani Correa, you know, the Jobmoto.
Speaker 3: Who's a judged.
Speaker 6: They can't get a way to take all their money, which is you know, makes a tricky for him. And in the other period there, you know, fifteen years ago Bonds took the money and everything else. That was a huge signing. And give McGowan credit when he got Bonds to come here in ninety three, he gave.
Speaker 3: Him forty six and a half million. I don't know how many years it was.
Speaker 6: You know that that was huge because the Giants in ninety three were a great team and they lost to Atlanta.
Speaker 3: By the last day of the season, they won one hundred and three games. They didn't make the playoffs and a brads one hundred and four.
Speaker 2: There. You you can't with your memory like you can't miss like an anniversary or a birthday at home.
Speaker 6: Right And by the way, it's my lovely wife's birth day today. Jean Russa, all right about that, So we have to make sure I would have forgotten.
Speaker 2: So we talked yesterday to the CEO, and we talked about Bonds's statue. So you make the Hall of Fame, you get a statue. Jeff Kent will get one, Buster Posey will get one. And then we talked about I said to Larry Bear, all right, give me your like you're going to stand behind Bonds for the Hall of Fame. Let me hear it. And we keep hearing this sometimes, and that is why he was the Hall of Famer before. I think it's the totality of your career. Absolutely, I'm sorry. Bonds did incredible things, but some of it was it real. His best work was enhanced. That's a problem. But I do think the younger voters that were taking over baseball, I agree with that. I don't think they're caught up in steroids. Chris.
Speaker 6: Yeah, but remember Bond's now camping in because he's passed the valid things, so he has to get through the executive committee and he's not going to get in. They just voted no with him and Clemens. Bonds became an immortal because of steroids. He was not an immortal before steroids. He was great, and he was a great player, him and Griffy with the two best players.
Speaker 3: But he was an immortal. He became Ruthian after he did it.
Speaker 6: And it was all because of that home run Derby when McGuire and Soto.
Speaker 3: Sosa.
Speaker 6: You saw it in ninety six at the Veteran Stadium, I was out that and those guys hit home runs all over the place. They got loved by all the fans, and Bonds got jealous.
Speaker 3: And then he said he if they get all this swam, I'm better than them. Not do the steroids too.
Speaker 6: And obviously he becomes but he was not an immortal to me.
Speaker 3: And but is this like And.
Speaker 6: I understand the Giants in a tricky spot because he did that.
Speaker 3: What are they supposed to do it?
Speaker 2: But I grew up in Cincinnati, so I would defend Pete Rose the best I could, but I wouldn't have put him in the Hall of Fame. But as a player he could go in. He did the other stuff as a manager, and I thought, can you do It's like what you did in grad school? If you cheat in grad school, I don't take away what you did in undergrad. And maybe you know, I'm trying to, you know, massage this a little bit, but it feels like the Bonds. Hey, yeah, but he's ours, like the local you know, in the base and this is a great baseball town. But they have to kind of go.
Speaker 6: Yeah, they have no choice, but they gotta hold their nose. Yes, that's what they gotta do. And and I understand that. And he was great for the fret Ar. It's funny with the franchising. They never won of them, which is hard to believe. They should have won the O two World Series. He was eight for seventeen or thirteen walks?
Speaker 2: Did he hit that home run? Off Perceval went out of it went all the way up and then out to the concession at Anaheim? I mean in game two, I was there for that.
Speaker 3: Oh you were good for you dating.
Speaker 6: I went to the first I went to games three, four and five here and I did the show. I Mike didn't come, but I did the three shows Games three, four, five, and in game five the Giants won fourteen to five. And that was the famous game where j T Snow picked up Dusty Baker's little kid, who was the bat boy. When somebody scored, I've been j T scoring them that I was gonna get run over.
Speaker 3: And we left that ballpark that night.
Speaker 6: Everybody Giant fan, you know, like the Vancouver Canuck fan after they beat the Rangers in game.
Speaker 3: They all thought the war twers was off.
Speaker 6: I said, guys, you gotta win a game down in Anaheim.
Speaker 3: That's not gonna be that.
Speaker 6: Easy, and they didn't and they blew the five nothing lead. Dusty made the era with the taking or tease out, which is you know that was a bad era first and second bottom of a seven five.
Speaker 3: Nothing Dusty leave him in the game plays.
Speaker 6: And then Francisco Rodriguez gave up the three on over to Earthstead and we ended up losing the World Series.
Speaker 2: But boy, you're creeping me out with this.
Speaker 5: Here you are, I'm sharp today.
Speaker 3: I got up sharp and your hair is combed. My hair, Wow, I didn't even shave.
Speaker 5: I was gonna shave.
Speaker 3: I got a shave for Patrick. They signed I don't shave.
Speaker 6: Going there like a nutcase, I said, okay, I'll go in.
Speaker 3: Town like a nutcase.
Speaker 8: Uh.
Speaker 2: He is Christopher mad Dog Russo. He's got his own channel on Serious XM channel eighty two. You can see him on First Take with Steven A. Smith. First super Bowl you went to.
Speaker 6: Was nineteen ninety. That was the Denver San Francisco Super Bowl. And I told this story this morning. I'll tell you again. It's a good one.
Speaker 2: Nobody there.
Speaker 3: It was just a couple of radio stations, Mike and me.
Speaker 6: The local station, I think probably Eddiy Andleman was there and maybe Eskin, so it wasn't a radio road thing.
Speaker 3: So we're there the whole.
Speaker 6: Week in in New Orleans, and we had Madden and some roll up and so Madden and some Row did that game and some roll Privately, he comes up to me, he says, keep on doing what you're doing, which I thought I took that some meaning, you know, the goofiness and all that, so I took that to heart. But Madden comes on with some Row and he says, mist you guys come to here's my address. Call me when you come. Come to my hotel this week. I got to show you some stuff. So that week, whatever day it may have been, we went to his hotel, little boutique hotel on Bourbon Street. We go into his up in his suite, he sits a stam and he says, watch this. He takes a projector out and he says, Rights does this.
Speaker 3: Taylor does that? The tight end. Here's the Bronco's.
Speaker 2: Louis right.
Speaker 6: They don't have a chance in this game, a chance fifty five ten. That's when I knew I was with immortals with that prediction, and that was the first one that I went to in that And then the first one I really realized whether there was a radio row and this is becoming a big deal was the one in LA when Buffalo played the Cowboys. That's the first one, Dan, I know what you were doing Sports Center time probably that was the first one that I read, and I was, wow, look at this little these radio stations, because up until then I was in a lobby, hotel lobby. Then was the first one they put us in a little like a little convention room at a hotel.
Speaker 3: Was that the one? And that's the you know, that was the BB one at.
Speaker 6: Fifty three seventeen, you know, and BB made the great play on Leon Lett on the fumble, and you know, and obviously Dallas killed them. But all those Super Bowls so I've been I didn't go to the one with Tampa and the Chiefs in the pandemic.
Speaker 3: I didn't go to that one.
Speaker 6: But you know, I've been here all these Super Bowls for this time, even in Minnesota with the cold weather and all.
Speaker 5: That kind of stuff.
Speaker 2: How do you walk the line of being entertaining but also being a diehard sports fan, like being taken seriously but then being goofy as well?
Speaker 6: I think I had trouble with that with the Mike and the.
Speaker 3: Mayor dog days.
Speaker 6: And I always said this, I knew a lot more about sports than people realized.
Speaker 3: And Mike was a lot funnier than people realiz He's great wit.
Speaker 6: You know, people thought Mike was an encyclopedia little dry he had a great wit, and people thought I was just a nutcase, you know, anthing about sports, and so you put those two things together.
Speaker 3: That's why it worked.
Speaker 6: I used to worry about that a lot, the credibility. You know, here's the guy skimming in yelling. What does he know about sports? You know, you do five hours a day on serious XM without with with eight minutes or commercials from for five years, from two to seven.
Speaker 3: You can do that. You must be doing you must know something about sports. And you're the sort of guy.
Speaker 6: You're a great you know he We all know what a great sports fan Danny is and he was a huge listener. So Dan always appreciated what I did with the sports. He always saw behind the scenes, you know what, he's the lot goofy, but he knows what he's talking about.
Speaker 3: And that's the that's the approach that have always taken, and never take yourself too seriously. You're talking sports when I'm talking world politics. You're talking sports.
Speaker 2: Have fun.
Speaker 3: So I don't worry about that.
Speaker 6: After I used to with micacause I was in competition with Mike, I wanted to keep up with them, and I thought if I didn't, I would look be looked down upon.
Speaker 3: I don't worry about that anymore. Just do the I'm sixty six years old, Just do the stupid show. For crying out loud?
Speaker 2: Are you going to take a gummy today?
Speaker 3: I didn't bring any with me.
Speaker 6: Now, all my buddies, we're gonna go home on Friday night, and all of them bring me a little gummies from Sirius and two years ago from Phoenix, Steve Torre gave me a full one.
Speaker 3: I wanted to jump out of the air through so I had. I wouldn't even eat.
Speaker 6: And then when I woke up after a little doze, dog I hit about nine million Oreio cookies.
Speaker 3: So ill bounce back Friday night. I'll have some fun. Fine, I'll have some fun.
Speaker 2: Great to see you.
Speaker 3: I love you, Danny, You're the best. Yea Christian Nickmahon for crying.
Speaker 2: Out Christopher mad dog Russo we'll come back with Frank Caliendo right after this.
Speaker 1: Be sure to catch the live edition of The Dan Patrick Show week days at nine am Eastern six am Pacific on Fox Sports Radio in the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 9: Stu Gott's Here. I have a podcast empire. It continues to grow, and.
Speaker 5: I have brought it here to iHeart.
Speaker 9: I'm also doing a live radio show from three to five pm Eastern because my.
Speaker 2: Wife wanted to kick me out of the house.
Speaker 9: It's called Stu Gotson Company Live, which is available in podcast form right when the show finishes every single day. Some of the biggest names in sports, a lot of phone calls.
Speaker 5: I love you guys.
Speaker 8: You show It's one of my favorites.
Speaker 9: A lot of interact shit guys not taking themselves too seriously. Those are just some of the things that you can expect from Stu Gottson Company and Steve Gotson Company Live. So listen to Stu Gotson Company Live and our original podcast. Please subscribe, rate and review Stu Gotson Company and God Bless Football Taylor's livelihood depends on it. Do it today and you can check all of those out on the iHeartRadio app. Apple podcast or wherever you get your podcast.
Speaker 2: If you were watching on Peacock, that was quite an entrance with the Dude Wipes guy as he as Paul. He said he nearly wiped out. Stat of the Day brought to you by Panini America, the official trading cards of the Dan Patrick Show. All guests this week will receive a gift bag courtesy of ze Kleiner, TCL Penske, Panini Miller, like Dude Wipes, RK and Heartland Steak Company, He's our good buddy. He is. Frank Caliendo back on the program, and Uh, well, I don't know the first time that we had him on, Todd, did you have any other information about Frank you didn't give me here, I have to bring that to you. Thank you, Todd.
Speaker 10: Todd.
Speaker 2: Frank is coming on next in case I have to promote something. All right, Tod, just take your time. Here we go. I want to give Frank an official interduction.
Speaker 5: It's like the first time we've done this.
Speaker 2: Thank you, ton. Uh. You can see Frank in Hartford, Connecticut next weekend February thirteenth to the fifteen upcoming shows in Wisconsin, Oklahoma, Utah, and right here in San Francisco in early April. Find your ticket, said Frank on stage dot com. As we make way for Frank Kaledendo. There he is, Frank Kaladendo. All right, yes, France, fancy shirt. Yeah over, well heck was that those are? That was a dude dude.
Speaker 3: I can't wait to see the dude wipe.
Speaker 2: Guy right, so great to see you.
Speaker 5: Normally I'm not the guy who has to follow energy, but there was and uh and then the dude wife guy who's wiping out all over the plot.
Speaker 2: Bud, Do you are you studying like even Chris Russo like can you? Yeah?
Speaker 5: I heard you talking about it earlier today, one hundred percent, always trying to find somebody else. Somebody knew. That type of thing is part of it because the people die off. Presidents get old, and then they're not topical anymore. I work them backwards so I can throw a bush in there. If I go Donald Trump to Joe Biden, folks come on to George W. Bush.
Speaker 11: I forgot Barack Obama. Let me be clear, that's an important, oh mission, all the way back to Clinton. We'll get back there. And I don't think you're laughing for the right reasons and so you can't bring up the Epstein files though, No.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean can you. I don't know, not me usually, but you just did. So what are we going.
Speaker 2: To do with that? Means you can?
Speaker 5: Yeah, there's uh yeah, I mean it's it's uh, you gotta be careful. You got to be very careful.
Speaker 2: But you know, we talked about John Madden's not here with this, you know, Morgan Freeman's eight, like you start to look at aging out of it.
Speaker 5: Well, let's let's talk about this too. Was I really doing that during Oh I gotta fix that?
Speaker 2: Yeah? You were?
Speaker 5: Yeah, because maybe I felt like I had to turn honest them because usually people are like, you're not like you are on TV. You're very subdued and stuff like that. So I was like, oh when I heard that, I'm like, oh. Then I started fritzeing myself, like do I do I do that? I don't think I have something I really did. Okay, So it's one of those where I'm just thinking, still don't have the voice. I don't practice it when I'm not here, but I got to get that fritzy voice going.
Speaker 2: Uh so yeah, I.
Speaker 5: Mean you have to you have to find and you you got to give the compliment to Seaton two, which it was almost like, I don't know if it wasn't a compliment or what I thought, but that your romo is really good and he does a lot of great The guys do great impressions. They do quite a few of them. I listen to the show, So are they really good? They're above average? And uh, no, good, No, c oh, they're great.
Speaker 2: It's great.
Speaker 5: But that Romo is kind of just a cartoon for me that I rev up the Tony Romobile. It's like turning it into something instead of doing what he does on TV. It's just it becomes like, what's the cartoon. It's the Dana Carvey, which is San Francisco comedy Dana Carvey, Robin Williams, don't know, you know, those are the Those are the comedians I watched coming up and was like, Oh, that's how you work an impression into talking, and I do do that. Like I heard you guys talking about this, did you pass the pass some meatballs over there?
Speaker 1: Man?
Speaker 5: Some pretty good about some spaghetti? You never you never had spaghetting two white? Why am I yelling? I'm in shorts at the top top of the life.
Speaker 2: When when we went to dinner in Vegas, though, there was that normal conversation that morphed into William Shatner.
Speaker 5: Oh, I was telling you a story, and we're not allowed to story. We'll get to the story, but it's old school.
Speaker 2: But I'm not allowed to tell the Shatner story.
Speaker 5: Tell you that some because I want to. I want to. I told you that story that I can't tell. Let's wait for that one. And it's yeah, but that one, that one you'll get, that'll be uh yeah, it's it's a pretty great story. So uh but yeah, I didn't. I guess I naturally I can't do that. My voice goes in and out. I'll catch it.
Speaker 2: And uh.
Speaker 5: But I tell stories about people like when I meet people like I'm thinking Arizona super Bowl years ago. Uh I met Sandler. I know that's old hat for you, but uh, i'd never met Adam before. And Nick Schwartzen, you know Nick, Grandma's boy and all that stuff. Nick Nick is like, you want to come up? And he text me come up and meet Adam. He's in this suite and we're all here for a movie. Jennifer Anderson's here and I'm like, perfect, I'll leave my family behind. I don't care. So I go up there and I'm I'm Adam's like, I can't think, wave me over to talk to that. I was like, hey, I hate doing man, that's pretty good. So yeah, let know the other day that was great. Uh you did went to John Madden the funny stuff? Okay, all right?
Speaker 1: Uh?
Speaker 5: And then I was like okay, and I just wanted to get out of there because it was like I got that. Then I go and I'm walking by and Jennifer Anderson is there and she's like, you were TV, You're you're on Little Are, You're in entertainment? Are You're in entertainment? So I go from sander go, hey, you're a great time. Never heard of you. So it was like a moment of up in the you know, up in the clouds, and I was like, oh, the pretty girls don't know who I am.
Speaker 2: I got the same thing when I was on the movie set with that movie with Jennifer Aniston. Right, she had no idea who I was. But Sandler goes, it's Danny's the sports guy. So she just called me the sports guy. She still doesn't know who.
Speaker 5: Hey, we're gonna throw my dash on him.
Speaker 3: Give him some glasses.
Speaker 5: It looks pretty good.
Speaker 3: Danny Daddy, you doing a character.
Speaker 5: You got an accent or something in this one? Want to I thought you should be from Boston.
Speaker 3: That would be that.
Speaker 5: Would be funny.
Speaker 2: I'm always fascinated though, when when you study people, because the mannerisms bring it Just do the manner bring out the voice?
Speaker 5: Yes, the mouth tells you how that the person talks. The eyes tell you how a person thinks. So that's how I break it down easy. One is a Jeff Goldblum like he's first of all, he's a painting in a haunted house. He looks her own. Yes, yes, yes, he agrees with himself. He's a tourist and a tour guide at the same time. What's that? I can't wait to tell you. That's why I have the script in front of me, uh while we ride uh the street car. Uh. So it's like that sounds like if the voice isn't that great, there's something to define. I've been working on. I don't have this yet, but Billy Bob and it takes me a Billy Bob Thornton in case you were thinking of different Billy Bud. But it's he's got that up here. It's it's in here. It's in here, so it's got to talk. It takes a while to figure it out. Get there, it's there. I'm trying to get it. Get there, Danny, I'll get there. Well, I think everybody does.
Speaker 2: And then you work it backwards. That's how you do it.
Speaker 5: It's like if you want to find somebody's voice that does a character that they're doing the character, and you kind of reverse engineer it to get there and to find out where it talks from. And I heard him talk about it. He's like his kids think he's Hank Hill. My kids like, I'm Hank Hill. And that's it's gonna pop the peas. You gotta pop the p's and we go, that's what it is. Talk to me about that. So it's that, And then you had to find the range. You probably talked about it before. But it's the it's voices blend into each other. John Madden can become Bill Walton.
Speaker 2: How great is that?
Speaker 5: By just a little switch. It's the uh, It's the Kermit the Frog, Hengy Ho Kermit the Frog, John c.
Speaker 12: Rally, Mark Ruffalo, h Paul giamari I believe if they had enough air, we can't get through this about us? Well, has that any person that's ever gone through it down?
Speaker 5: Do you record yourself? I used to, I do a little bit more. Now yeah, I've started I guess I guess I do again. There was a time where I didn't do as much. I've started working on it harder again. So yes, So my what's the the memos app? What's the think home? Is that the memos that's filled with me just saying lines over and over and over the same line. Not anything new, It's just repetition. Just try to drill it in because if you can get one sentence, start with a word, then you can get a couple words a phrase, then you get to a sentence, and then eventually you can kind of play it like it's music. So it's like it's just muscle membor. He really for me, because I've done it for quite a while.
Speaker 2: He's Frank Callendo or Frank Cautledendo, as Bradshaw would always call it.
Speaker 5: I'll tell you what that guy, I don't understand why I was on the show.
Speaker 2: Frank will be in Hartford, Connecticut next weekend and then upcoming shows Wisconsin Oclomba, Utah and early April and right here in San Francisco. You can find tickets for all shows at frank on stage dot com. Do you have people who ask you to impersonate them like famous people?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 5: I mean when I was doing stuff that the mother Ship, Uh, there were people that like they were worried that people would get offended there sometimes and then people would come up to me and ask me, like South Pal. South Pal's like, yeah, yeah, do me. Yeah, I didn't really have it. He's like, put on the trench coat. I'm like, you changed trench coats. You're the only person I've ever seen with a wardrobe change on the field. He's like, you know, it's that huh. He's like I was like I wanted to do you like the Godfather, and they were worried that, like it would be too much. He's like, oh I would have loved that so that. But yeah, there are there are people who ask, like.
Speaker 2: Ban is Berman bothered by your impersonation?
Speaker 5: But everybody does. See here's the thing, and not everybody knows that everybody on that campus does a secret Chris Berman.
Speaker 2: Everybody's going I.
Speaker 5: Hope he doesn't hear this, say what you will, but nobody sure because you're wagging. That's Chris Burman as a chicken. Maybe that's why they they don't want me to Daml.
Speaker 2: Kuiper doesn't have a problem.
Speaker 5: No, he called me after I did it. The first time. I got a call from him. He's like, Frank Kuiper Junior, I'm I gonna figure that one out.
Speaker 13: I'm the attire Kuiper family sitting here watching you. I'm going to Vegas in little while. You ever been, ever been of Las Vegas? I know you did a little residency there. You ever go to see Blue Man Group? And I actually blue people? I was told there were seven foot tall aliens. What's that ship? What's that movie?
Speaker 5: The James Cameron film?
Speaker 2: What's that one?
Speaker 5: I'm too busy studying three ring binders in my basement. I'm not sure what avatar avatar?
Speaker 14: Is that?
Speaker 5: What the Blue Man Group are? Are they smaller version?
Speaker 13: Are they pigmy versus the a avatar community. At the end of the day, I'd rather have an Avatar with the wingspan for medicibility and need to be hardPressed on me otherwise.
Speaker 2: What happens when you have a bad audience?
Speaker 5: Well, they come to see me for the most part. Now, okay, so it's better. I mean I I used to do what I used to come up, go up on stage for in college at colleges at lunchtime, you know there people are calling out. This is in early two thousands. They turn off the TV and then you know, if that was in the lunch room, and then they'd be like, we have a comedian today and you'd hear U they all burned, they were all and really it would probably turn it ont sports there. They're probably turn off a replay, you guys, so that would the big show would have been on. So we uh, you go up there and you just try and fight through it. That's why guitar acts are so great for college crowds in the early two thousands because you could just strum through it. If your punchlines aren't using, just go through or have a puppet.
Speaker 2: You know, but you didn't you don't fire back at people you didn't know. That was too tough that they just didn't. They didn't they didn't want you there, so that but you know, for me, I'll circle them as John Madden. I mean, if somebody is a heckler and there's a.
Speaker 11: Guy who doesn't know it's not his turn to talk, or that's when he realized he should probably look for the security man who's about to take him out of the show.
Speaker 5: Those are the types of things that I would do and just have fun with it, and sometimes they sometimes they're good. Sometimes it becomes you know, that's a whole thing on social media is people do the crowd interactions and then they come out to see. Like if you do a lot of crowd interactions and and put that out on social media, people actually come and want to be part of the show. And that's kind of damaged some comedy in a way, it's helped it, but it gets people out there. So that's getting people off their phones is always good.
Speaker 2: Well, you know it's Springsteen shows. People bring signs of songs they want him to play. Yeah, I don't know if you get these.
Speaker 5: I do a thing at the end where I'd say, if I didn't get to an impression that you haven't heard or if that you wanted to hear, call it out now. And then they will call different stuff out, whether it's like Steven A. Smith is one. I usually forget. I understand where we're coming from. Some of these things, but we have to be included this at the end of this as I'm potentially running for president of the United States of America to the republic for which it stands.
Speaker 3: Frank not to pander.
Speaker 10: I think that's the imitation where you could fool people, Like if you were doing a radio show with Dan and did ten minutes, no one would get that it's not Stephen A.
Speaker 8: Smith.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I just don't have his vocabulary if I could read it in front of me. That's the thing I'm amazed by him, is he he has a Theosaurus in his he he can go to he can do the entry and then five different words synonyms that fit with what that is. And I'm just I'm amazed by him. And I asked him about that one time he had the New York radio show for a while, and he's like, well, I was. I had trouble reading when I was a kid, so I had a stutter. So I got it wasn't trouble readers. I had a stutter. I had a stutter. So till my mother I was going to just start reading. I read and I and I don't even have the words to put it together. And that evokes something in me that became a tremendous reader.
Speaker 2: You you can just be funny of just throwing in line words that really don't make it.
Speaker 5: Kind of make up words, Yeah, just throw contradictorily.
Speaker 2: I understand on a monopeia.
Speaker 5: On a monopea, I understand that you might be talking and sound a dog sounded like a bar. Is a sound that actually sounds like a bar. I knew what out I'm out of pa Is. I read it after I read Amelia Badelia. He he is Frank Caladendo. You can see him in Hartford and that'll be February thirteenth through the fifteenth, and then Wisconsin, Oklahoma, Utah, and early April here in San Francisco. Of course, Frank on stage dot com. Always great to see. Thanks for having me. Maybe I'll get Fritz. You're gonna come to a set at the Hartford Funny Bone.
Speaker 3: They've been pushing me to try to do something I know I heard earlier.
Speaker 5: Because Dylan's Dylan's going up to do some here. I don't trust Dylan.
Speaker 2: Dylan Dylan goes into New York and does oh does he really He'll go on stage?
Speaker 5: Can he do it without being dirty. No, see, that's the thing like that I just did.
Speaker 2: Could is that an invitation for Todd to open for you in Hartford? Is that what you do? I'd let him go on if you want to. I think that would be great.
Speaker 5: Todd and then anyone going on after me were killed.
Speaker 3: I've been working on a couple of these bits.
Speaker 5: I'm not sure I say to the the thing I did the other day, the thing I did the peanuts, peanuts, peanuts, Would you like peanuts?
Speaker 3: Is that you're dinner?
Speaker 2: Rubbish?
Speaker 5: Rubbish?
Speaker 2: That was that? That was a great bit.
Speaker 5: The problem is you get to I know, we gotta go commercial, but the problem is you get to it and you try to be funny instead of just being yourself being annoyed. When you're annoyed, it's the greatest thing. But I couldn't say the same thing over and over and over. I couldn't say the same thing over and over and over. I couldn't say the same thing over and over and over.
Speaker 3: I coudn't say the same thing over.
Speaker 5: You just did.
Speaker 2: I know that.
Speaker 5: I know that, I know that.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Frank. We'll take a break. Steve Young will Joy is coming up next hour. We're back after this.
Speaker 1: Fox Sports Radio has the best sports tal lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at Foxsports Radio dot com and within the iHeartRadio app search FSR to listen live.
Speaker 2: For over forty years, tire Rack's been helping you find the right tires for how and what and where you drive, ship fast and free back by free road hazard protection with convenient installation options like mobile tire installation tirerac dot com. The way tire buying should be. Chris and Syracuse. Hi Chris, what do you have for me today?
Speaker 14: Hey? Thanks as always, Dan, great show. I have a comma and a question.
Speaker 8: I like the fact that.
Speaker 14: Super Bowl sixties logo incorporates into it elements of the city of San Francisco. Good move to the by the NFL. They should do that every year. And two Super Bowl moments that have always stayed with me for some reason. Jackie Smith dropping that ball in the end, zoning Gary your premian. I don't know if you call the past, but that pick six to Mike Bass, Dan not necessarily a super Bowl memory based on magnitude. But do you have a Super Bowl moment that really resonated with you?
Speaker 2: Well, I've talked about this the four times I handed up the super Bowl Trophy. You know, I grew up in a really, really small town in Ohio, and the fact that I was handing out the super Bowl Trophy was never lost on me. I never took it for granted. I thought it was one of the great honors that I've had in my career. But I just think being there for seeing Roethlisberger throw that pass and the Steelers win the super Bowl, and to be on the sidelines with Steve Young as he's doing play by play from a quarterback's perspective was one of the all time moment, like a scrapbook moment where Steve is telling you through a quarterback's eyes what Ben was doing when he threw the touchdown pass to Santonio Holmes. And then to be in the end zone when Malcolm Butler had the interception. I think he's going to join us on Friday. I think Malcolm Butler joins us on Friday, but that you're watching something in real time and I'm probably twenty yards away from the greatest play I think in Super Bowl history, and I didn't understand at the time that he made the interception. And then when I did. I thought that, you know, I was a fan, and then I had to go into broadcaster mode of now the Patriots are going to be on the podium and I'm going to be interviewing them. But very fortunate to be. I've been, you know, watching these games, be at these games and then handing out the super Bowl Trophy as well. Nate in La, Hi, Nate, what's on your mind today? Hey?
Speaker 14: Good morning, Dan.
Speaker 8: I'm a set time caller who was planning on attending Friday show. I was suggestion and a caestion for you if I made so before the week get done. It would be amazing if you got control of the foghorn at Oracle Park to use at your discretion anytime during the show. And my question is what is your welcome to the national media world moment?
Speaker 14: Cool?
Speaker 8: You guys write it.
Speaker 2: Welcome to the national media moment.
Speaker 10: Like where I think you talked about the first Sports Center you did with Berman. Maybe could be your welcome to national media or maybe before that at CNN.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but I don't think the national media was watching when I was at CNN, and maybe that night when I was there with Chris Berman. So I don't know if I don't know if I had one of those, Hey, Welcome to the big world or big stage or any of that. I remember being on stage with Bill Murray at the ESP's and that one felt surreal because Bill didn't go to rehearsal. We were going to go on stage, and it's like two minutes away and I'm supposed to go on and hand out the Comeback Player of the Year award to Michael Jordan, and I remember Bill is not here, and so I'm getting ready to go on. Bill comes through a side door. He's got a cowboy hat on and I and he goes like he looked at me off stage. He goes, you didn't think I'd make it. I go no, no boom. We walk on stage and then we hand out the Comeback Player of the Year award. Monica Sellis got stabbed that year playing tennis. Michael Jordan just came back from playing baseball, and Michael won the Comeback Player of the Year Espie and Bill Murray said basically saying to Michael, you shouldn't accept this. Monica got stabbed, and you're up there and you're with one of the you know, comic geniuses, and I'm just holding on for dear life, like, I don't know where he's taken me. I'm just trying to go along for the ride. And that was you know that, that was a fun moment. That was That was where you're like, Wow, that's going to stay with me. Yes, Marv getting stabbed is tough. But you ever tried to hit a curveball? Well, yeah, Mike couldn't do it. You're right, Mike couldn't do it. Final Hour on this Tuesday, coming up, we'll talk to Steve Young, Chris Collinsworth and Mike Jeriko will join us on the program tomorrow part of the guest list there, but we'll take a break for Fritzie Seat and Mark Paully. Yours truly and the great audience joining us here at the China Basin Park as well. Final Hour