Speaker 1: Warning today's episode can you need spoilers for Alien Earth episode six? Hello, my name is Jason Deutepcio and I'm Rosy Night and welcome back to X Revision, the podcast where we dive deep for their face hugger into your favorite shows, these comics of pop culture comedy. You from my heart where we're bringing you three episodes a week plus new Sunturday, no Sun Saturday.
Speaker 2: In today's episode, the kids are not all right? Who would have ever imagined that thinking that ten year olds could be in the bodies of adults and deal with horrific aliens would ever go wrong? Definitely not Boy Cavalist, and we will get into that the Iya Purse. Is he on our side? Is he not? I'm still a support I we'll talk about that. But first introduced super producer JOELMANI join us on this expedition to Netherland Island where just bad stuff is occurring at old times good.
Speaker 1: This is a fantastic episode. Let's dive in. Okay, Alien Narth one oh six. The Fly, which we can only assume as a reference to the classic fifties B movie horror y icon of cinema, The Fly, and It's later, you know Lima imagining with Jeff we open in the lab. The eye in the sheep is very watchful, watching everything, watching Wendy with determination, watching everything. We hear a boy genius doing more podcasts, recording bro.
Speaker 2: Just like somebody takes somebody take the ability to press, like you know, he's you know, he's like broadcasting it right to everyone in the fucking island. I'm like, somebody download it, somebody.
Speaker 1: I think if you don't download it immediately to your podcast player and play it. Like he gets the stat and he's like, oh okay, Yeah.
Speaker 2: I like that. He's like he's got like screen time, but for his podcast where he's like, how long did they listen for it? Did they listen to the whole thing? I like that they are choosing creepier and creepier quotes as the season goes on. They're doing a good job finding the most disturbing parts of I want them.
Speaker 1: I want them to cut to like the other angle or the two shots, so that we see like Adam with a backwards baseball cap sitting there being like, Wow, that's fucking crazy, yo, after reads some passage of type ship.
Speaker 2: Yeah, who's this special?
Speaker 1: Guess?
Speaker 2: This week on Netherland Island. Don't disagree with them, don't tell me a word wrong.
Speaker 1: Wendy, meanwhile, is in gristener her language lessons with Baby's anomorph. It kind of strikes out at her through the glass, but that doesn't bother her that much. And the glass is clearly acid resistant and super strong. The eggs and all the other creatures, they're all there in the cells, and Kersh and Hermit are also there on the other side of the glass watching this language learning seminar, and of course Bro Hermit is like, hey, just quick update, We're this is all safe, right, Yeah, they put it out. She's safe in there, the bugs, all that stuff. He also wants to know from Kersh about Wendy's maintenance, like let's say, you know, when does her battery run out? Like when, how would I say to tears like curshs, Like listen, don't fucking worry about it. Here's why you don't need to worry about it. One, you're like an aunt, and it would be like are you gonna do Yeah, it's like an aunt asking like how do I build a gaming PC? Like you don't know what you're doing? And two boy genius is never gonna let you have her, and that's it. And but he and you know, Joe is like, yeah, but I care about her. I want her every good life. He's like, listen, considering Wendy's value both in dollars and her potential to invent, just put it out of your mind that you will ever, ever, ever have like a familial type relationship with her here or anywhere else.
Speaker 3: This is such an interesting moment for the two of these people. One hermit, you got a corporate espionage better you be out here asking.
Speaker 2: About so bad.
Speaker 1: I was like, you, it's a little too dilied for me. Like you have been a little bit like you.
Speaker 3: You've seen some of the world. Presumably you like watch your sister. You should be a little hardened. I think by some of the encounters and experiences we know that he's had it.
Speaker 2: Also, I feel like my guy is not doing a great job of like being realistic about where he stands in the pecking order. Like a few days ago, you were literally talking to like a faceless robot, and now you're trying to work out how to you know, charge your hyper intelligent sister bot at one of the biggest, most secret places in the world. I don't know. I just I feel like he's not being very sensible.
Speaker 1: I agree with both of you. I do think it is a little played up.
Speaker 2: Okay, Can I ask you guys a question about Alex Luthor. Does he have the juice for Hermit or is it too much of like an introverted portrayal, because I think there's been quite a lot of conversation about Hermit's impact.
Speaker 1: I think he has the juice. I think that the issue is to Joe Well's point, he has written so White Knight like good guy that it's almost unbelievable. Like again, he was part of this highly militarized search and rescue Prodigy team that carries assault rifles into you know, emergency zones to rescue people. He's not the idea that he's like, Oh golly, g do you think I'd be able to have a relationship with my billion dollar robots? Like come on, come on. It just does stretch credulity a little bit.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think he's going to be being a bit more stealthy, a bit more on kind of like this would be a plan why you'd have to essentially kidnap her from the island and then learn how to cyber hacker via you know, underground kind of hacking communities. I don't think.
Speaker 1: You have to have nineteen steps ahead.
Speaker 3: I also feel like, have Hermit and Wendy ever had a fight before, like as brother and sister? Like, I'm just this relationship is underwritten.
Speaker 1: I don't.
Speaker 3: I don't think it's any of the performer's faults. I just feel like, yeah, you know, given their age difference, and you know, she was.
Speaker 1: Like approaching preteen right when she transferred.
Speaker 3: So I just feel like there's not enough like tension or fusion between those two characters.
Speaker 1: And I also just feel.
Speaker 2: Like there is no emotional friction that you feel like that would be well between I think I think this is again excellent show, but I think this is kind of what this show is built on, is like they takes.
Speaker 1: You're taking these kind of archetypical relationship sibling, boss, lieutenant, right hand man, and you're kind of letting those do a lot of the character and it usually works Elsewhere. Adam aka Lobot, Arthur and Dame are looking over nibs. Arthur and Dame are like, we're not sure what was wrong, but we think it was because she was had a lot of significant trauma as a child, and that when we you know, we did have those concerns when we did the transfer, and we thought we had tweaked whatever the programming enough to kind of adjust for that baseline of trauma, but clearly it didn't. It didn't work, and maybe given enough time with therapy, some kind of they have some kind of synth therapy I guess talk therapy that they would go through with these beings. Dame wants to let that play out. Adam says, no, just basically like hold down the power button for ten seconds, let's factory reset and just kind of clear it all out, reset her to pre the date that she started malfunctioning, and then we're and then that's it. Dame and Arthur initially don't want to. Arthur really doesn't want to, and Adam is like, I don't give a fuck because the Prodigy showcase for investors and consumers coming up in three weeks. She needs to be up on that stage doing handstands and saying I love boy genius, and that's it. Arthur flat out refuses to do it. Dame's like, well, I'll do it alone. And then Adam's like, great, Arthur, you're fired. You have till eod to get off the fucking island. If you're here after dark, maybe you get shot. We'll see.
Speaker 3: This throple of pain. This child just like jump like, hey, you're gonna reform. She's like, I'll capitulate to anything. Where's your backbone?
Speaker 1: Man? Like I need? I will say, like, I think that this is a good I actually think this is a great example of how people interact with power. There's because there's there's two there's two philosophies, right, There's like, that's it, I'm not going to participate in this, and then there's well, couldn't I theoretically do more good from inside?
Speaker 2: Like?
Speaker 1: Am I not the mediating force here? Like I'm the one that's making it marginally better by being inside, and therefore if I cooperate a little, I can also make it a little better. And I'm not saying that either right correct in every situation, but it's certainly like it's certainly looking sideways at Dame. I think although she may have a point, right, she may. I think there's a world in which you could see where she's coming from. I disagree, but like I get it again.
Speaker 2: We're gonna end up asking questions about how much people think things through in this episode, because there are choices that even if you even if you want Yeah, it's truly it's a bad decision bonanza this week on Alath, Like, I think that if you were going to make the choice to do this to Nibs, then there are things that you need to put in place to make sure that the things that happen in this episode do not happen. And they did not put them into place.
Speaker 1: I mean I think that. Yeah. So Wendy leaves the lab, she runs into her brother. She's very stoked at the language lessons and says, I'm getting better at speaking to the alien. It's hard trilling my rs is a little weird, but I'm getting better at it. And then Joe was like, okay, but like they're basically killer parasites, Like they just want to maybe you don't need to play eggs in our chest and kill us. And then like that's it, you know, like we have they're not like us, like we have community. They're just like want to kill us and eat us and face on this. And Wendy's like, and it's clear that Wendy is not. While she agrees that the creatures are being studied and did not have agency in what is happening to them, she also clearly is not rational about this. Loves the zenomorph basically like a puppy already at this point, and it says flat out, well, this one can be good.
Speaker 2: I love that line too, because I'm just like, Okay, she's like, she's like, guys, there's no bad animals, just bad Maybe she is.
Speaker 3: We're back to our conversation from the pilot, right, So, so we had this conversation in the pilot about the scorpion and like, what is it true?
Speaker 1: They're asking very.
Speaker 3: Specifically, like this thing might have community and it might attack us, and if like she's having or at least these thoughts implanted in her before she even makes the transition. It's very interesting to me that post transition she's like completely doubled down on that, and that that completely aligns with like what Boy Genius and ostensibly cursh one be really interested to see. I have a new theory that Curge and boy Genius might be somewhat on the same page more than we're aware of.
Speaker 2: Right now, Okay, I'm excited to talk more about that.
Speaker 1: I'm excited to talk about that. I'm excited to talk about that. I'll just say that in terms of, like, could she not be correct about this alien being good? When you release an alien in a room full of assholes, it will seem like it's doing good things. Correct.
Speaker 2: Okay, good point, good point, good point. Okay, she she didn't see like an a look and look, this is the We are the people who were pro I we were pro and.
Speaker 1: It's on this island of assholes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly, Like, so you know, I feel that that's a good point. You're like, we have yet to see the alien in like kindergarten, where maybe she would start to feel differently about.
Speaker 1: Uh So, Wendy basically gets her back up about this conversation because Joe is kind of like being very dismissive about the value of her working with the alien, even that they exist here on Earth, and she's like, this is a yes place. Boy genius always says, we just say yes here, which, again in the context of billionaire islands back children on them is and yet another dark mirror into the world we live. And she basically tells hermit like, we only say yes.
Speaker 2: Here, and I'm not the star of nothing. I'm okay, all right.
Speaker 1: Legitimately this is bad, well, Joe says later in the episode to underline the metaphor even stronger. Know is how we take control of our bodies, which is yes, well, yes, yeah. We go to the mediation meeting, Utani and Genius facing off across this long table, their lawyers on either side, a mediator in the middle, Marrow and Kersh standing beside their respective bosses, and Utani makes her case as as boy Genius, with his bare feet disgusting up on the table, picks his toes and her point, and her point is basically like, the ship is my property, everything on it is my property, give it back. And then boy Genius is like not unfairly, like, well, your ship crashed into my city and killed untold numbers of people that I don't care about, but still causing a significant dollar value damage. And you know, also like was it on purpose? Did you purposefully? Exactly, like we need to look at all of these things, you know, exact like he did at the stable.
Speaker 2: Did this he is like truly giving a performance of a lifetime because you just want to sell this guy.
Speaker 1: I love yes, Rosie, Like it has been I was thinking about this old driving around yesterday. It's been a minute since I hated a villain like this, Like I haven't seen a villain in a show that is this catable in a in a in a second, and he is. I can't wait for him to get a lot of our TV shows like and all right, we already hate the Empire.
Speaker 2: We hate those are those are the character those are the things that we are. We know about and we've known the bad for a long time, so that is an inherent feeling that you have against them. This is a personal kind of hate. He is so disrespectful, he's so awful, he's so entitled. The whole time, I was really sitting there like wishing for a you know, kind of kill Bill esque, like somebody just comes in and chops off his feet, taking.
Speaker 1: Your tony side.
Speaker 2: Like I'm like, I'm literally sitting there like this guy is so fucking disrespectful, Just fucking kill him, Like why why is he being allowed to babe like this? Like what is going on that?
Speaker 3: Watching a woman executive hundreds of years from now?
Speaker 1: Yeah, still he talked over me.
Speaker 3: He's just like wait and I'm like, please, God make.
Speaker 1: It in so then boy Genius makes it a really the salient point, which is, well, mister mediator, did you know this ship was filled with illegal alien creatures that have been brought to Earth in direct violation of several international and corporate laws. You tanis like, okay, here's what we'll do. Give me. Here's I'll give you twenty billion. And I promised that the creatures were going to an off world research facility. That's where they were going when they crashed. They were never gonna come to Earth. They're going to go to that facility, and then we don't have to worry about that. And she's like, yes, sounds great, twenty million, that's good after the six week quarantine though, right, which again the law is very clear on this six weeks. We got to wait six weeks. And she's like, okay, fifty billion annoying, and you pack them up right now. And boy Genius was like, no, I must follow the laws.
Speaker 2: Sorry, not even about I've got I've got lots of money. I think this is such an interesting, interesting moment because look, the Utani boy genius of it all is so great, and they are they have such good furious like Nemesis chemistry. But what I'm most interested in this scene is the notion of the Five and the way that the Five govern because they just sent some random guy who I'm sorry, nine out of ten chants that that motherfucker is a sent first of all, probably the way that he was overseeing it, the.
Speaker 1: Lack of sense.
Speaker 2: I'm very interested that even in the terms of the people who are in charge, right, Utani is one of these corporations. Prodigy is one of these corporations that supposedly run the company and the countries. But they sent like a mediator, not a higher boss, not someone who seems to have any kind of real ownership or control over the situation, just a guy who stands there and says like, okay, uh no, is this true. I just find it very interesting. There's so much more I want to know about the Five and how they are controlled and run.
Speaker 3: It does give the idea that the other companies are more powerful than waylan Utahi like, because between corporations makes sense. But to your point, if it's two bosses of two of the major spaces, then typically you would think that there would at first be some kind of like let's come together and talk about it before we.
Speaker 2: Yeah, maybe the other three would be involved to try and talk about it, right.
Speaker 3: I just thought it was really interesting at these two what happens to the rest, So yeah, that is really interesting. Karmen is a theory that Adam is puppeting everything, which I find really intriguing.
Speaker 2: I could read it.
Speaker 1: Would be really interesting to see.
Speaker 3: She's been looking at some of the frames and just positioning and Adam always seems to sort of be behind boy Genius and a sort of puppeting position, and then Boyd. She mentioned way Genius is clothing this episode, it's particularly like thready there's like a lot of strings hanging from it. So she's on that theory right now, which I find really interesting.
Speaker 2: I really like that one.
Speaker 1: So Marrow pulls you tany aside for a second and he's like, and she's like, what's what's going on with your mission? And he's like, I think there's a high likelihood we get at least one creature back by end of day. That's from his little slightly uh sneak in mission and he tells his boss that you should also know that Prodigy is up security on the island and expectation that we would attack them frontal attack, and he recommends destabilizing the island and getting the creatures out in the chaos, an interesting line considering what comes next. Kurush gets on the elevator with Morrow and let me just say, I don't need this is just a this is a nitpick, not about alien Okay. The trope where the character gets on the elevator and you watch the doors closed, it's like, I know the hand is coming in the door to keep the door open, and then I just know that's gonna happen, so like just get to it anyway. Yeah, so anyway, I just know I'm gonna see that hand come in and stop the door. Kirse stops the door, comes in the elevator, starts talking a bunch of shit, calling Morrow almost human, since that a human that thinks he's a machine. And then Marrow's like, well you're looking, yeah, you're an out of date model. You're like a fucking You're like a three year old toaster, Like what are you even talking about? So they're just like roasting each other and then Morrow is like, listen, you know what I love about killing since is they have no pay, they don't feel pain. You can just keep chopping them up, and they're lucid the whole time, telling me everything I want to know, little fucking tiny bits, and Kersh is like, oh, yeah, you know, it's going to be really fun when you figure out that you're still a man, that even though you have some like machine parts implanted in you, you're still a guy whose eyeballs can be popped out. And then you're like, I can't wait for them to fucking thrown.
Speaker 3: I am good with this scene. I really really am.
Speaker 2: Was so good together.
Speaker 3: The thing I walked away thinking about most from this scene is the idea that Okay, Kersh Knowsmorrow is like in the kid's head, like he's aware, he's heard him listening to the conversation, so that like this was such a clear plan of attack. The way he fucks with Marrow is the same way Marrow was fucking with the kid, Like.
Speaker 1: It's the exact scene.
Speaker 3: Let me completely destabilize you, let me get inside your head, let me figure out what you know or think about me. And the fact that he thinks like, oh, you're outdated technology and you're not prepared like I think Marrow. So for as munch of an advantage as he has. I think by discounting Kurge, we're gonna see that table hurt him like a lot come down the line once he gets to the island himself.
Speaker 1: That's it's really absolutely I can't wait to talk about this much more. When we were going with cap, let's take a quick Craig, will.
Speaker 2: You rep we're rack.
Speaker 1: We go to the lab where Dame reboots Nibs. Wendy's there when Nibs wakes up and Nibs is like, I feel fun, I feel great. I feel like I just slept a lot. And then Wendy, who, like I guess, has not been briefed on what's going on.
Speaker 2: My biggest issue, this is my biggest issue. I feel like Dame knows enough about Wendy and the way Wendy works. It would be very easy to manipulate Wendy in the situation and say, hey, Nibs was really struggling. She was a danger to herself, she was a danger to others. Yeah, we've had to go back in and you know, to help her, we've taken away some of her memories of her trauma. Isn't that what everybody would want? Blah blah, blah and kind of set Wendy up to know this has happened. When I realized they hadn't told Wendy, I was like, Okay, you guys are just dumb at this point, Like Dave, I don't know what is going on with you, Dave, but this was always gonna blow up in your face.
Speaker 1: Wendy brings up all the troubling stuff the baby, do you remember when you crashed out? Do you remember the crash that we went to with all the remember that really scared you? And Wendy is like super confused. And now she's even more confused because she's realizing that she doesn't have information that everybody else has and why can't she remember?
Speaker 2: And it's making her immediately feel more crazy. Yeah, you're probably gonna lead to a bad situation.
Speaker 1: So this gets Wendy really upset and she realizes that Damon Arthur must know something about this. We hear more of Fu Boy Genius fucking podcast of what everybody's up to. Wendy looking out at the sea. Okay, slightly, yes, I.
Speaker 2: Just want to say though it's painful, but truth, isn't that like so real that even when you are like a billionaire, and you have all this money and you have all these people under your control. I feel like being like, yeah, and now I have an active listening base to my podcast who can never turn it off, and he just brokeross it across the state. That's like, it feels very real. It feels like deeply, deeply real.
Speaker 1: It's really fucking nuts. Also sucks. It's just him reading to your pan literally word for word anyway.
Speaker 2: No no critical thought on it, no ideas about what it means. Obviously, not interacting with the the art itself. That's why this is all gonna go hardly wrong.
Speaker 1: Slightly is in the jungle with Moorrow in his ear, basically telling him like, you gotta go in, you gotta go in, you gotta do the mission now. Smee finds him as Slightly doesn't want to talk. They talk about, you know, they're basically they talk around being what you know, their existence right now, and sme thinks that, you know, being a grown up sucks and we can't just play like we used to as kids, and Slightly it's like, well, right after I take care of this mysterious thing I need to take care of, we're gonna play I promise and happy about that. Yeah, when me gave him.
Speaker 2: A grown up hug, I was like, I wanted to cry. I think the kids stuff is I understand that for some people it's like not hitting that hard, but I think when they play with the balance between like the emotional vulnerability and openness of kids and kind of how they are having to all grow up because of the way that the adults around them are treating them, whether it's you know, Wendy or whether it's me, or whether it's most Hey, you know slightly with being kind of manipulated by Morrow. It's just it's kind of heartbreaking to watch, and I think it does bring some extra emotional layers.
Speaker 3: I agree because Rosie, if you think about too, we hear Dame tell Adam that like NIBBs was damaged before they brought her into the program, like she has psychological issues pre program, which is terrifying that they then have sort of put her in this position. And given the line from the book, we get the thin sticks out most, which is like, yea, once they started to realize they were growing up, Peter would like take them out.
Speaker 1: Yeah, thin you heard.
Speaker 3: I think really sort of resonated with me this idea of like, you know, we saw Dame's hubby get fired as soon as he starts asking questions about like morals and ethics are like, you could actually just get right the fuck about it here, Like we don't need you to be asking any questions really, And again, I just think in a series that's particularly been about the horrors women face and then a lot of that being about motherhood, to bring it to children here it works for me on a lot of levels.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's welcome for me too.
Speaker 1: Yeah, let me ask you this, what should happen to the to the hybrids? Mostly shut them all off? I think, yeah, but what should happen like you gain control of Prodigy? You do what I what I do? I stop this program immediately, and I do a leny mice of men thing and go look at oh, look at the question over.
Speaker 2: There, and then I shut them all off. Jay that it's over.
Speaker 1: I do.
Speaker 2: I think. I'm just curious.
Speaker 3: They said, like, okay, kids, you know, I think if we don't traumatize them, give them some space to be like go live.
Speaker 1: But are they let mean, are they kids or as as other characters in this have said, are they ais that are programmed to respond in a certain way, and they think that's are they chat They are people like, you know, how good is the programming? It's a really good question. Mm hmmm.
Speaker 2: I think you made the epically correct choice, Jason. I think that is what should be done. I also think if they were like crying and being like, no, please don't turn me off, I would also like bet it would be hard.
Speaker 1: I'm not saying immediately choice, I just feel like we don't. I feel like that's the only way to make sure that no more harm is done. Anyway, slightly fails to get Joe Slash Hermit down to the lab to get face hugged. He really tries, but he comes off as a weirdo. But unfortunately, Hermit gets called to go on patrol due to the heightened security on the island. He goes on patrol with Bronsky and Siberian. They gossip about what's going on. Hermit is asking questions.
Speaker 2: And they also like, broke, could we just stay here? Like this is actually kind of a solid gig.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they're loving it. It's a steady paycheck. All you do is walk through the jungle like nothing really bad is happening and the moment, meanwhile, is asking questions that are so obvious, like how far do you think we are from the mainland? Does anybody's see any boats around here? Dummy?
Speaker 3: Oh my god, please do some reconnaissance.
Speaker 1: Yeah, come on, my guy. Siberian has to be like, hey, don't fuck this up for us. Okay, don't down in the lab. Wendy's continuing the language lessons with the alien that is, and the alien's fucking big.
Speaker 2: Now it's happened. It's happened.
Speaker 1: Kursh rives back on the island with Adam and boy Genius. He calls Tootles to basically say, hey, go down there, seed and water. The creatures run the next experiment on the list. Okay, yeah, where's Curly? Can I talk to Curly? And Tootles like, oh he's with Curly and uh smee. But he wants He's so eager to do things on his own that he's like, oh, I have no idea where they are. I'll do it. I got it, I got a boss. He goes down the lab. The Eye remains watchful this whole time, watching everything for them with a very keen gaze.
Speaker 3: With the pizza slices we have to talk about the triangles. Wait a minute, yea, I saw them right, I'm not crazy the witch. No, okay, it when we're on that close up of the sheep. The eye, yes, is iris is cut into like pizza slices, and a triangle comes from where we can't see and back into the eye and slots into place.
Speaker 1: What the dissect part of it can.
Speaker 3: Travel and move?
Speaker 2: What did that mean.
Speaker 1: For me?
Speaker 3: Is the is it just optically look like an eye and not necessarily function as one, Like I'm so well.
Speaker 2: That it sees through even though it looks like a traditional eye sees through multiple lenses like a flies, so it would make sense if they were segmented out. Also, I feel like we got to talk about the eye because last week, you know, we were talking about being pro I we felt like the eye had done a really good job trying to help that lady. And then you know, that was the general consensus across most of internet and also our discord. And it was only after listening to the official pod that people kind of went, oh, I guess, Noah, Holey was the eye was meant to be distracting her. It wasn't meant to be helping her. I think that we have to talk about it because I think that is a failure in storytelling. No, No, that's bad storytelling because I think it was unclear and I think it was an It added an interesting complexity. Yeah, it connects to the end.
Speaker 1: I think there are other things like that that I want to talk about. Okay, So basically, so Tootles is feeding all the animals and then he gets to the bugs. But then the feeding shoot door just comes off in his hands, clearly been tampered with the eye and the sheep is like, yes, my plan coming together at least seems like that. I'm now anthropomorphizing the sheep, and Tootles does everything that you could possibly do wrong. You override every safety door. He goes into the fucking door and basically props it open with his foot. While he's in there, the bu bugs stirring in the hive, and the sheep hits the hands, knocking him over. He gets locked in the fucking case with the bugs, and one thing leads to another. The bug spraying with acid devour his face. Unclear if they actually eat him.
Speaker 2: I think that just having fun, just like licking around.
Speaker 1: The silk juice they might him tray.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the food in the tray is all tech stuff, so like it's like like, oh, this is perfect, it'll destroy They melt him and they eat him.
Speaker 1: And the eye and the bugs are all seemed to be celebrating and just bad, bad stuff goes crazy here. I will note for further to have Uh to table in our conversation later that it made no sense to me that alarms didn't go off all throughout the compound as soon as Toodles was taken off line. That's dumb. Dame goes to see Wendy. Wendy's troubled about nibs. Uh Dame tells her, listen, it's really complicated and we had to reboot her. There was a glitch, and Wendy's getting more and more and more upset. And Wendy is clearly beginning to draw the inference that she's clearly beginning to empathize with the specimens and see that she is a specimen exactly. She is being studied in the lab. She is being forced into choices that are not hers to make, and she's not able to make decisions for her own life up to and including her own memories, potentially has happened to NIBBs, and she begins to think, maybe the glitch in this situation is you, Dame, and the others like you. And Wendy says that she wants to she wants to see the world as it truly is and to push past like human emotion and to try to see it in this kind of dispassionate way, and she thinks that humans inability to do that means that maybe they are the glitch, or she might mean specifically Dame, but she seems to be also making a larger statement about humanity. Arthur is packing to leave. Toodles is dead on the security screen. He doesn't see it. Hermit comes to see him and basically is like asking all these questions about Wendy, the same kind of questions, like how do I charge her? You know she's safe here. I just want to ask you this, And so Arthur is like makes a dramatic stage turn to the security cameras twenty second slow motion turned to the camera, and then turns back to Joe and says, oh, yes, sir, it is very safe here. He couldn't be sicker. Say let me show you how safe everyone is. I'll show you the synthetics, including your sister's vitals on the screen right now. And then he types on a notepad like get her out of here, here's the boat code. And then he turns off Wendy's tracker so that Arthur can potentially be successful getting getting went out of here. And then when Hermit leaves, Arthur notices now the first time that Tootles is offline, slightly goes down to the lab. Kersh is watching all of this on the security cams. It's you know, he must know by now that Tootles is dead, but he has no reaction to this. It's unclear truly if he knows the Tootles is dead, but he must anyway, Yeah, slightly lose his nerve at the keypad, but luckily Arthur shows up, and Arthur making the worst decision you could pop is the last day, Like you're done, your shift is over. This is like you work at a pizza restaurant and somebody comes in at ten fifty five, you close it eleven and is like give me three pizzas. No, you're done, bro, what do you Why are you here? Anyway, he goes down there, he goes in the lab again. Kurse watching it all, Arthur sees that Toodles is dead, and Arthur just does a bunch of He goes in the bug pen. Dumb Tootles is clearly fucked. He's trying to lift Toodles. Must weigh four hundred pounds, I means.
Speaker 2: Okay, So this is another thing that is that they are doing a lot of interesting things they were. I'm like, was that a choice by the actor who plays at that to act like you weigh like that? Is that the nature of what they are? Is it something that they built? Then yeah, I mean because it's just But also then you see the.
Speaker 1: Face, it's like it's there's a lot of metal and plastic and ceramic components like that. It must be heavy, must be really heavy. And Arthur sees the bugs stirring, and then he looks over and notices that the egg door is open. And now it's all going to be bad. The eye and the zeno more for watching this like they are watching like Glengarry Glenn Ross on Broadway at the edges of their I gotta say, and they're like, oh baby, it's gonna have it. And slightly and now outside the lab is locked in and it's like I have to do this for my family. Arthur's like, but I have a family, No, bro, you're getting face. It happens quickly, an incredible like like five meter leap by the face hugger bang right onto Arthur's face, and it's and it's done. Kursh is watching this on the iPad with Boy Genius in the helicopter. He's watching very dispassionately. Boy Genius seems to notice some flicker of reaction cross across Chris's face, like, hey, you good, and Kursh's like, oh yeah, I'm doing great, and then goes right back to his iPad, slightly goes into the lab. He drags Arthur away into events so that, as per Morrow's instructions, he can hide the body until like we're ready for that hatching.
Speaker 2: Classically you want as animal fan event. So that's great.
Speaker 1: And meanwhile the bugs are now free flying all around the lab and so like he slightly has to hide from these bugs which would love to melt need him. And as this is all happening, we have a close up pan on the sheep who is clearly like, my moment is coming, my vengeance, My moment of revenge is coming.
Speaker 2: The Eye sheep CG is so good because that motherfucker look nefarious like he's looking and he is just so happy.
Speaker 1: That is that I like when they zoom in the breath on the glass and he's just like.
Speaker 2: Also again, just have to say like, I think that I think the way they were imagining that moment hitting was probably like if you'd have perceived the Eye to have been the orchestra of the whole time, if that narrative moment that was meant to hit last episode hit properly, you'd probably be feeling like, what this guy's like evil? But right now I'm still just like, yeah, man, he's just trying to get out. He's just trying to get out of this situation where they're tormenting and torturing him. Like I'm still on his side because also as well, something I will say, I know that we're going to get into the tech of it all because the lab is badly built. There are no alarms. Why when one of the trackers goes off on one of the kids, does it not as immediately Now, I will say there is a horrible dark version of that, which is that certain people on the island would want to turn off those trackers so they could do whatever they wanted to those kids, which again leads to that harsh, sad, real world kind of equivalent that this is drawing. But also I will say, you know what, I think about a lot. It brings me a lot of joy in life when I think about it, and I think about it a lot every time I watch a sci fi and think, well, that wasn't very well made, or if I had all that money, I would do a better job. Do you remember when they did the Tesla cyber truck demonstration and they were showing how the windows were like bulletproof, and then he threw a baseball at it and it just shatted the window. I think about that a lot, because that was the moment that was meant to impress people who were consumers. It was also supposed to showcase to a board that the thing worked like. There is such an arrogance and assumption in those spaces about people's own intelligence and what they can do that I actually think how badly the island is run is probably quite realistic.
Speaker 1: I will say that I think that it is. I think that some of the storytelling is not up to snuff. Of the rest of the show in a way that makes things ambiguous in ways that they shouldn't be. Yes, like the eye distracting not helping is small, but like is one of those moments where you're like, it was not told clearly, and it was. I think that the fact that it was a big story point early that Boy Genius can watch and hear and everything that is being and heard and said by the senses being recorded at all times. Yeah, And I think it's I think it's I think it's weird that when Toodles dies there aren't a media alarms that go off. I think it's I think these things.
Speaker 2: Are meant to cost a billion dollars each at least, Like the fact that he dies that should have immediately set it off. Also, why are you sending children to do Why are you sending billion dollar children robots to do chores?
Speaker 1: Let's go to a quick breaking with your upon how well I do believe here's my Now, I'll go into theory land. I think that you know, we've already seen one bit of corporate espionage, which is Boy Genius turning the chief engineer, one of the engineers of the Imagine now right to his side and getting him to crash a ship onto Prodigy Island. I think that listen Utani's makes sense. I think that there is probably some like hidden programming in Kersh that has been activated, yes, give him a spy for Utani, and that whether Marrow knows it or not, they are potentially working on the same side, unaware of the fact that both are doing that. And I think that you could read a lot of Kersh's like I think there's a world in which Kersh nerfed the trackers and all the stuff so that no alarms will go off, which would be cool, but also like I need that scene, like I kind of need, but I think that's what's going on. I would I lean towards that that Kirsh rather than Kersh making an independent decision that like, We're going to rise up and kill the Masters with the help of the you know, I'm tired of being a machine that works for a man. I'm going to join arms with my alien brethren and we're going to take over. I am more inclined to believe that this is one of Utani's fallbacks. Yeah, yeah, and that the chaos that is going to happen on the island when when Morrow says here's what I think you should do. I think you should I think we should cause chaos. I think Utani took that advisement and ran with it and used her as using her other agent to cause the chaos. That's what I think you think. Do you think Kirsh is a Utani agent?
Speaker 2: Yes, I think he works unknowingly, That's what Jason's saying.
Speaker 1: Like, well, I mean unknowingly, who knows? Like knowingly. I think one thing we know about Utani is they make sense, right, and they seem to be the prime producer and probably the only company that has the rights to make sense. And we also know that Kersh is an old model, has been stated by divers other characters. He's been around a while, right, So I think that it only makes sense, like if you're Utani and we see this with tech companies now, like there's a reason why, I say, other countries are like, we don't want to use Windows, we don't want to use Mac. We're there's a reason why in this country where like DGI drones made in China are now banned. It's for this exact reason that they I would imagine that it would make sense for Utani to implant something in all of their sense that if they happen to get into a sensitive position, they can then be triggered and can then leak all the information back to their masters. And I think that's what Kursh's doing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it makes the conversation and the elevator really intriguing because it's one of the first thing Marro says to Curis is like, oh, you have like babysit your replacements essentially, and if he's like, you know, if they're essentially of the same company, you know, they're designed of the same space. And again this idea of chaos coming from the same points, the fact that it's you Tani, a woman led like corporation. If we can bring back the horrors of women again through Utani, I will absolutely scream with joy, Like I really really appreciate sort of the layers we're getting throughout this series, you know, thinking even just.
Speaker 1: About like Curley's previous role.
Speaker 3: I hope we get more of her next week because this whole like vying for attention and supremacy sort of situation that we've seen with the other kids this episode, I.
Speaker 1: Think really speaks to her character.
Speaker 3: And if Wendy's gonna go off and do her own thing and run away with her brother possible next episode.
Speaker 1: Really would love.
Speaker 3: Between Curly and Wendy or team up with his amore. Her brother was not asking questions this episode. He was like, yeah, she was like, yeah, what if I would like to be here? Like what if I'm enjoying.
Speaker 2: I want to learn how to you know, speak to his animal and do my little thing. But yeah, this is a very interesting place that and kind of time that we are in, because this really could shift what we know about pretty much of all of Alien And I do think the notion that you Tanny is out here hunting these creatures down and has specific wants and reasons for them and is willing to spend fifty billion dollars to get them back, is incredibly intriguing. And Yeah, I'm just I'm really excited to see where it goes. I think you guys have really touched on the stuff that I think is most interesting from this episode. And I'm just really intrigued to see if they can stick the landing because there's two more episodes left that part. We don't know if there's going to be a second season, and they either have to destroy the entire landscape and universe that they set up in the next two episodes with pure chaos to get us back to the place that we know before Alien begins, or they're going to have to establish the second season is going to be a direct follow on and we will learn more then. So I'm worried it don't feel like a finished story.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Jason, So I want to ask you, like, what do you think we need in the penn ultimate episode to set us up for a solid finale?
Speaker 2: Great question.
Speaker 1: I think we need. I think we I think that we need I think we need to understand by that point where all the characters loyalties lie and who's working for who. There's less ambiguity on that In that regard, I think we need to understand. I don't know. I kind of feel like we need to understand what you tany and or prodigies thoughts about what they could do with these.
Speaker 2: Yes, I agree, because they are such a high risk proposition. They're illegal, they're dangerous, their blood is made of acid. They are the ultimate weapon. But also, you guys already own countries and continents, So what would you need an ultimate weapon for? Is it a terraforming thing? Like kind of what they touched on an alien best Predator. I don't know, I'm in I think you're right, Jason, I really need to know why they want them.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and then I think we need to figure out a way to get out of the story where that. I mean, I remain convinced. I feel like they're going to nuke the island from space all the end of it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because did I did think that was white?
Speaker 1: Does all this none of this stuff exists? You know? Like I feel like it's going to be nuked for morbid, It's the only way to be sure. And I feel like they're going to do that.
Speaker 2: When we're running around with his Animore just killing everyone on the island. I mean, I would love to see it would be crazy, but maybe we get a little bit of action like that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, what about what about you, dul What do you think we'll make for a I don't know, a landed ending? Yeah.
Speaker 3: I was thinking about penultimate episodes and how I often feel they're more important than the finale. To me, a great penultimate episode almost feels like a finale because when you gither, you're like, wait, what happens? Like, how how could there pause that? What happens next, Like I think, like I'm trying to think of a good one, Like is it season two Game of Thrones where the penultimate episode is the big battle in the.
Speaker 2: Usually would do the penal as the big action episode and then the finale.
Speaker 3: There's all of this build up to the battle, but the fallout is what the finale should be. And if that's the case, then what you want is the sort of like chaotic, almost Jurassic Park esque episode. I think that's what I'm looking for in my penultimate. It's like, yeah, the creatures are out, We're all trying to figure out how to survive. I think mass death is necessary to your point, we know we're coming to a stopping point, and we know that where this show ends and where Alien picks up, or at least we assume, you know, they're pretty close together. They're only a year apart, so a lot needs to change before we get to that point. I think, yeah, I think we need a lot of characters out of here. And all I have to say is me better survive.
Speaker 2: I'm not pretty. I know I'm sweet as a sweet, sweet sweet boy. Yeah, I do think we could be with the chaos element. I do think next week could be an action heavy episode where everything kind of gets decimated and then we see the fallout, we see where the curse is kind of a He does seem like a David, you know, a linearly connect, linear connection to a David, and the kind of curiosity he has feels like that, So maybe that could be the connection as well to Utani. But yeah, I think that you're right. Next episode death, chaos, alien action, and then probably a finale that tries to establish how any of that gets cleared up, whether it be nuke from space or otherwise.
Speaker 1: Well, in the next episode of X ray Vision, we're diving into another edition of X ray Vision group chat Exert. We'll see and of course that's it for this episode. Thanks for listening, Yeah bye bye. X ray Vision is hosted by Jason Concepcion and Rosie Knight and is a production of iHeart Podcast.
Speaker 2: Our executive producers are Joel Monique and Aaron Kaufman.
Speaker 1: Our supervising producer is Abu Safar.
Speaker 2: Our producers are Common Laurent Dean Jonathan and Fay Wag.
Speaker 1: A theme song is by Brian Vasquez, with alternate theme songs by Aaron Kauffman
Speaker 2: Special thanks to Soul Rubin, Chris Lord, Kenny Goodman, and Heidi, our discord moderator,