Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, podcasts, radio news Now. The International Monetary Fund now expects China to grow by five percent this year, raising its forecast from earlier this year to reflect these strong expansions so far and recent support supportive policies from Beijing. The IMF's first Deputy Managing Director, get It cup and Aarthurs, told Bloomberg that although there are signs the Chinese economy is recovering, more needs to be done within the property sector and to support low income households.
Speaker 2: We've upgraded China's growth by zero point four percentage points for this year and for next, so we have growth now projected at five percent for this year and four point six percent for next year. There are two main drivers for that. The first is the better than expected first quarter GDP numbers that came out for twenty twenty four. That is lifting up our growth projection. And the second is we have incorporated some of the newer announcements that have been made on the policy front. So those are the two main reasons for the upgrade.
Speaker 3: But some say five percent is actually out of reach for China. They say private sector sentiment is still weak. The property sector is also in the Doldrum sixteen million home still unsold, and some point to Chinavanka under a lot of financial stress at some point, Gita, that is likely to weigh on confidence, way on sentiment, way on growth as well. What's your take on that.
Speaker 2: So China's economy is continuing to recover, so we certainly are seeing that consumption is recovering, but still it has some ways to go. The strength we're seeing in public investment remains. Private investments is still weak, mainly because of the weakness and the property sector. So we are seeing signs of recovery, but yes, there is still more that needs to We need to see more evidence of that. But I think despite that, we do expect that growth will be around five percent this year.
Speaker 3: What more needs to be done?
Speaker 2: So, firstly, I would like to rec recognize the policy steps that have been taken. I mean the recent announcement which involves upgrading equipment of firms but also consumer goods of households. That can help, but yes, in our view more will be needed, and so specifically on the property sector front, I think what would be very helpful is to deal with the problem of pre sold housing. So there are large number of houses that have been presold but have not been completed. Here we see a bigger role for the central government to come in and to deal with that, to be able to complete those pre sold houses, because when that happens, that's going to help household confidence, which is really essential at this time. It also will help with the exit of non viable developers. Secondly, in terms of providing support, While overall we think that there should be a fiscal neutral stance, I think it is important that the spending goes in the direction of helping low income households because that they are the ones who are able to consume more of that additional income, and that will also provide a boost to the economy.
Speaker 3: How are you assessing other risks? Some say that there's a risk of a new trade war. Of course, we had from G seven finance ministers calling out China on its trade practices. We have the US saying that it will reimpose those terriffs expiring, and we have China itself saying that it might impose twenty five percent tariffs on important autos from the US as well as Europe. How might this play out? How might it impact China's economy as well? As the economy of the world.
Speaker 2: I was justin Strasser for these G seven meetings, so I'm coming from there, and you know, there is certainly we're certainly living in times where there is questions being raised about the global trading system and the fairness of it. The IMF as a general rule, we are strongly in favor of an open, rule based trading system and therefore any dispute that countries have with each other beliefs should be handled through the multilateral trading system, I mean through the WTO Now there are concerns that are being raised. Industrial policies is something that comes up in conversations everywhere. Many countries deploy industrial policies that has implications not just for their own resource allocation, but also potential spill over was to the rest of the world, and that is generating risks of greater fragmentation. But here's where we think it's critical for countries not to move unilaterally outside the multilateral trading system to address this, but to work with each other to strengthen the trading system, to come up with better rules of engagement. When you have countries using subsidies so that there's a common agreed principle on how to deal with these kinds of issues.
Speaker 3: You talking about industrial policy over capacity. That was one issue that was raised to us by Lamaire In an interview with Bloomberg. He says that perhaps cheap Chinese goods will be detrimental to the whole global economy. How are you assessing so?
Speaker 2: Firstly, I think when we are looking at China, we should just step back and recognize the macro situation. So the fact that overall demand in China remains weak, we still have a negative output gap predicted for China. In an environment where there is weak demand, of course, that's going to generate imbalances, and that's where actually needs to be taken. Keep setting aside the implications for the rest of the world. Just for China itself being able to raise demand is going to be very helpful. Secondly, again for all countries, including China, that are deploying industrial policies, you have to make sure you're doing this in a targeted, in a manner which is also temporary. Otherwise you're going to end up with just misallocating resources within your own country. Again, setting aside, the spillow is to the rest of the world. So for individual countries perspective, it is important to make sure the resources get well allocated. And sometimes these industrial policies just distort signals and you end up with a much less productive economy. So these are you know, issues the countries need to pay a close attention to.
Speaker 1: That was the IMF's first Deputy Managing Director, Gita Gopana, speaking exclusively with Bloomberg's HASSLANDA Amen