Speaker 1: I am all in.
Speaker 2: You. I am all in with Scott Patterson, an iHeartRadio podcast.
Speaker 3: Hey everybody, Scott Patterson, I am all in podcast. I am joined by my intrepid Grew. I am under the influence of post surgical medication. So forgive me if you will. I had a tooth pull and implant put in, but I'm feeling pretty pretty good. Pop Culture, Season seven, episode two. That's what you get, folks from making Whoopee.
Speaker 2: The episode is the best part of the whole episode, and this was from all covered.
Speaker 3: By Bing Crosby, Frank Sinatra, Louis Armstrong, Dinah Washington, Ella Fitzgerald and many uh.
Speaker 1: Making Whoopee is a.
Speaker 3: Jazz song that was first popularized by Eddie Cancer in nineteen twenty.
Speaker 1: Musical Whoope Did You Know?
Speaker 3: The title of the song refers to celebrating a marriage. Eventually, making whoopee became a euphemism for intimate sexual I was gonna shoes.
Speaker 2: I was gonna say, I'm new here. What is whoopee?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Yeah, like you don't know.
Speaker 1: You're who's up? Who's up?
Speaker 4: Please do this?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 5: Thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you. Laurlai greets Rri with the coffee and waffles for breakfast as she walks out of out of her room, and Laura Lai says, but then I asked myself ww tb FCD, and it came to me in a flash, I'm gonna make waffles. What would the Barefoot Contesta do? Exactly? Barefoot's one word. Barefoot Contessa is a cooking show hosted by celebrity chef Garden on Food Network, running from two thousand and two to twenty twenty.
Speaker 2: Mina Garden is the Barefoot Kntessa.
Speaker 5: Yeah are you sorry?
Speaker 2: I literally was today years old when I realized that, Oh my god, I no so obsessed with in a Garden.
Speaker 5: I think she's my best friend from a past life. Like I cannot express how much I love her everything, and then more.
Speaker 6: I love her and the sticks of butter she would put into every meal.
Speaker 5: And her husband Jeffrey, and like, oh my, I'm so cute.
Speaker 2: I like, I know that Jennifer Garner loves her.
Speaker 1: She's great.
Speaker 5: Literally during COVID, Amy and I did a virtual cooking class from Ina Garten.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, and I didn't show. I didn't show for it. I paid for it, and then I didn't do it wait you and no celebrity.
Speaker 5: It was like thirty people, but it was in the garden and Jennifer Gardner's n oh, I got how cool it was? It was legit?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 5: Did you know? In Agarten cooks only from her cookbooks and she's never watched herself on TV.
Speaker 1: Good for her, Good for her.
Speaker 5: She makes an excellent, excellent, excellent harrot cake that I make every year for Christmas.
Speaker 6: Okay, So Rory runs into Zach and asks about his honeymoon with Lane. Zach says, the whole trip was a total fiasco. It was the Stones at Ultamont times a billion. The Ultamont Free Music Festival occurred in nineteen sixty nine and it was known as the Woodstock of the West with Jefferson Airplane, the Flying Burrito Brothers, Crosby Stills, Nashon, Young Santana and Rolling Stones headlining. Grateful Dead was supposed to play but didn't because of the increasing violence. The concert had three hundred thousand people in attendance, but it became but it came to a violent end because the Hell's Angels motorcycle Club was hired as security. Four people died that day, one stabbed, two from a hit and run car accident and one accidental drowning.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but here's the thing. You don't mess with the Angels bikes, man, somebody kicked over their bikes, their motorcycles started the violence. Yeah, and if you know anything about the Hell's Angels, you don't want to mess with the transpo you know WHOA.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, all they were beating you never heard alone. They were beating people.
Speaker 3: The Angels were beating people with pool cues. And then there was the guy who whipped out a gun and started shooting at the stage while the Stones were on stage playing Somebody the Devil and the and the Angels jumped on this guy and knifed him to death. You know who. They were performing their security. Yeah, there's a film about I.
Speaker 2: Was I literally just about to say there should be a move about that.
Speaker 1: There is a movie about it.
Speaker 3: It's a documentary about what happened went down at Altamont. Yeah, and they show all the footage and it's yeah, it's a It's one of the films of that year.
Speaker 2: They make reference to this in the song American Pie.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah.
Speaker 6: So the other note is, did you know in Don Maclean's American Pie song, Verse five is an allegory of the Ultimont Festival nightmare, where he holds the Stones accountable for what happened. McLean uses Satan as a replacement for Mick Jagger and Angels Born in Hell as a literal translation for the Hell's Angels. The lyrics read cause fire is the Devil's only friend. Oh and as I watched him on stage, my hands were clenching fists of rage. No Angel born in Hell?
Speaker 2: Did you know?
Speaker 3: Did you know that the Hell's Angels had a contract put a contract out on Mick Jagger?
Speaker 1: What they were going to kill.
Speaker 3: Him because they because they felt that he threw them under the bus and blamed them for the violence, when in fact, you know, and I don't know all the details.
Speaker 2: I always heard that, yeah, the Hell's Ams got a bad rap because they they got criticized. And this was more general.
Speaker 3: Somebodytorcycles, yeah, some some some high somebody that was really high, and everybody was dropping acid, and you know, they kicked over their motorcycles and then they got pissed. And then the crowd started getting rowdy, and there was some bad drugs going around and things going on, and then a guy started shooting at the stage. So yeah, it was it was It was not it was not woodstock, you know. Yeah, Yeah, it's bad.
Speaker 2: Big horror movie fan who wants ago.
Speaker 3: Know any people were admitted into local hospitals fans cases of bad vibes.
Speaker 2: I think they should make a movie out of this, like not just the documentary, but like a movie movie, like starring Leo, Do you know what I mean.
Speaker 1: And give it a happy ending.
Speaker 2: Well, I don't know if it has to hope.
Speaker 1: Starring Leo, but I'll.
Speaker 2: Do the next one. Same scene, Rory runs into Zach and asks about his honeymoon with Lane. On the second day, I got some parasite and I've been barfing Linda Blair's style ever since. I'm getting better, but now it looks like Lane's got it. I mean, first of all, very funny line. Linda Blair is an actress known for her role in the Exorcist, of which she won a Golden Globe Award. She reprised her role for a cameo in the most recent twenty twenty three Exorcist movie, The Exorcist Believer. Did you know Linda was stocked and threatened after the release of the movie, So much so that security guards were hired to live with her and her family for six months. I actually did not know that. I think Linda Blair is very synonymous with this role because everyone remember when her head was spinning around.
Speaker 3: The scariest film I ever saw.
Speaker 2: It wasn't for me. We've talked about that before, but maybe later on. I thought Saw One was much scarier than this. Just gonna say, You're not in Saw One, but no I did.
Speaker 3: The Extorcist is the best horror film ever made.
Speaker 2: Suzanne, have you gone?
Speaker 7: I have not gone. I'll do this one. Rory walks into Lane's room, where she tells her perspective of Mexico with Zach. He tried to punch Pedro, what was too weak from his parasite. Lane says. I just stared at him lying on the floor, and I thought I just married that man, Loris says, And you didn't squeal for joy, Lane says, nope. I went into the other room and stared at Pedro's poster of Spuds Mackenzie hanging twenty and ate my twentieth Saltine of the Day. Spuds Mackenzie is a fictional bull terrier dog used for an extensive advertising campaign marketing bud Light beer in the late nineteen eighties. Did you know? Shortly after Spud's rise to fame, it was learned that the dog portrayed as male and the ads was actually female.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah.
Speaker 7: Politicians and advocacy groups also criticized the ads for promote consumption of alcohol by children, claiming that the beer maker was using Spuds to appeal to children in order to get them interested in their product at an early age.
Speaker 1: They would never do such a thing, no.
Speaker 7: And cigarette companies wouldn't either, No, of course not.
Speaker 5: I just googled.
Speaker 6: Now I know. Now, I know what he looks like. I remember this, yeahs McKenzie. Oh yeah, yeah, I've seen Yeah, I've seen pictures of this.
Speaker 1: Talk all right, who's up? I guess me?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Sure, yeah. I don't want to do this one, God.
Speaker 2: I'll do it. Lane telling Rory the sex with Zach was horrible. Okay, So we decided that for our first time, since it was such a big deal and everything, we'd been waiting and waiting in God, if I'd known what it was going to be like, I would have gladly kept waiting. But anyway, we decided to recreate the scene and From Here to Eternity. From Here to Eternity is a nineteen fifty three film based on the book by James Jones. The film stars Burke Lancaster, Montgomery Cliff and Deborah Kerr is a Kerr or car just kidding. That's a line from Sleepless in Seattle. The film one eight Oscars, including Best Picture in nineteen fifty four. The scene Lane is referring to is Burt Lancaster and Deborah Kerr making out on the beach as a wave washes up on them. It's kind of like an iconic scene. This was known as one of the most erotic scenes of cinema, and it was a turning point for Debora Kerr's career. Also, sensors demanded that deborah swimsuit should feature a skirt in its design, so it wouldn't be too sexually provocative.
Speaker 1: All right.
Speaker 3: As Luke paints the exterior of the diner, TJ tells them about the recent purchase, TJ speaking of which, you guess that's what I just got. Tickets to the hawk Ats. You know, the hawk Ats ice skating.
Speaker 1: Girls that are amazing. They do everything the.
Speaker 3: Rockets do, only they do a skates song. The Rockets Dance Company founded in nineteen twenty five and sing Louis. Since nineteen thirty two of the group has been performing at Radio City Music Hall in New York City. There have been over three thousand women performed as the Rockets since the New York Christmas Spectacular opening ninet nineteen thirty two.
Speaker 1: Did you know?
Speaker 3: Their shoes are miked up so the entire audience can hear each step of their tap shoes. Wardrobe removes the heel and sol the tap shoe and starts a custom leather sole the attaches to the bottom of the shoe. The new heel has made that allows a special cavity within the heel for the sound transmitter to be stored inside. This helps pick up the sound of the tap of the show. That is a lot of information that's interesting.
Speaker 7: I didn't know that.
Speaker 2: I thought there was just a love like I don't think I would love the Rockets show, but then people that go to the Rockets say they love it.
Speaker 6: I really want to go at one point when I'm in New York, but I've never has time.
Speaker 2: But everyone says it's none of us have gone. Suzanne have you gone. I've seen.
Speaker 7: They did a Christmas show at Segerstrom in Orange County and I went to that and it was really good. I really it.
Speaker 2: I never think there's kicking up legs would be good, but I didn't think frozen frozen on ice was gonna be good, and that thing was amazing. I'd love to see the Hawkeets too, should be pretty good, says.
Speaker 5: Andy Orram College became a rocket, No way.
Speaker 2: I think it's a hard gig to get.
Speaker 4: Probably.
Speaker 7: Lorelai has decorated her living room to resemble all the countries in Asia as a surprise. Ferrri Rory says, Asiana is a lot smaller than I thought, more intimate and more fragrant. Laura I says yes, while Miss Patty donated a bottle of her Opium perfume and I sprintzed it around a little. Opium is a perfume created for the fashion brand IF Saint Laurent in nineteen seventy seven. Its top notes are a mixture of fruit and spices, with mandarin, orange, plum, clove, coriander and pepper, as well as bay leaf. Did you know Opium caused a stir with its controversial name and brought accusations that brand designer Eve Saint Laurent was conduct own drug use. However, the controversy in part helped to aid the perfume's publicity, with the perfume soon becoming a best selling scent.
Speaker 1: Can I do the next one that Eves Man?
Speaker 5: He really fine, as long as I do the one after you.
Speaker 2: Tara, Oh, that's a good one too, Okay.
Speaker 6: So Rory continues to notice the decorations placed around the living room. Rory says, I love all the lanterns, and the poster of Mao very nice, and one of Sandra. Oh, because oddly you have a poster of Sandra. Laura says, well, she's a goddess. Sandra is a Canadian and American actress. She's known for her roles starring Doctor Christina Yang and Grey's Anatomy and Eve Blostreet and Killing Eve And did you know Sandra O is multi lingual. She speaks Korean, French and English.
Speaker 2: I'm a little behind on Grays, but only like a few episodes.
Speaker 6: I've always like, I've never stopped watching since I was in the same when it started, but I randomly a couple months ago went back to the beginning, and it's just like, is it good?
Speaker 2: It still holds up? It's so good. Be rewatch. I love the addition of Scott Speedman. Is he still on it?
Speaker 6: Yes? Goodness? Yeah, yeah, yeah, it took me a second.
Speaker 2: He's like, if anybody could be as great as McDreamy.
Speaker 6: And the fact that they can keep going after losing so many characters, including Christina.
Speaker 2: I don't care like you kind of don't care.
Speaker 6: I thought I was going to give up after Christina Sandra left, but it's.
Speaker 2: Episodes don't even have Ellen, and I don't really care.
Speaker 5: I'm like, I haven't seen one episode of.
Speaker 2: Grades really.
Speaker 4: Never.
Speaker 6: Oh my god, it is one of my favorite show and actually will.
Speaker 2: Danielle. My hope is not for Scott to watch it, but I think you should watch it.
Speaker 1: Yeah you should do.
Speaker 6: But it's really emotional, so take it in doses, don't binge too much.
Speaker 5: WHOA, all right, I'll move on to the next one. Lorelai shows Rory Moore of Asia, and laural I says, all right, well, first stop is Japan, Land of the Rising Sun, ruled by Hello Kitty. Here we are going to make your own sushi. Hello Kitty is a fictional character created by Yuko shimu Zo, depicted as a white cat with a red bow and no visible mouth. Originally, Hello Kitty was only marketed towards pre teenage girl girls, but found commercial success among adult consumers as well. The popularity grew with the emergence of kawhi, or cute culture in Japan. Did you know Hello Kitty has her own maternity hospital in Taiwan. It's the world's only hospital and it opened its stores in two thousand and eight. That's that's so cute Hello Kitty person?
Speaker 6: It was Hello Kitty.
Speaker 5: It was I was Pachako.
Speaker 2: Did you know what pachako is?
Speaker 3: Banel?
Speaker 6: Did you go to the san Rio stores in the mall and just buy all those mini Rascal ways.
Speaker 5: I bought that, like the pencil cases and the makeup case and the stupid erasers and the pencils.
Speaker 6: Those erasers didn't do anything, and I collected them all.
Speaker 5: I loved Hello Kitty.
Speaker 6: Oh.
Speaker 2: We were not of that generation, but we were the cabbage patch generation.
Speaker 1: Did you guys have those cabbage Patch.
Speaker 5: I feel like the new Hello Kitty is American girl doll? Like I think that's.
Speaker 2: No not anymore.
Speaker 6: I feel like American Girl was like right after US American Girls. After there's something else, right, it's American Girls still going.
Speaker 2: But you know what's going Lo Dolls?
Speaker 6: Barbie, well, Barbie, but lol dolls were like a huge thing.
Speaker 2: Lol Dolls. Yes, but Barbie is going strong, maybe stronger than ever thriving.
Speaker 7: Amy we had you didn't have Hello Kitty stuff.
Speaker 2: When you were I think that was around. I think I just missed it.
Speaker 7: I friends and I were into it, and I'm older than you are.
Speaker 2: No, you're not.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I am what.
Speaker 2: I don't think you are.
Speaker 7: I think I am.
Speaker 2: I don't think anyone is. No, I think it was around for sure. I just didn't. I missed the boat. I definitely was Barbies and Cabbage Patch kids. My mom. I remember her being at Toys r us and and she said everything was going crazy and so I just started grabbing it too, with the cabbage Patch because She's like, I didn't know what it was, but like it just seemed like I better get it, and it was like that Christmas where nobody could get them. Yeah, the cabbage Patch was Donzo by the time you guys.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I mean like it was still around.
Speaker 5: But Polly Pocket was also Holly Pocket and Brett's.
Speaker 2: Oh it's so hard to change the clothes on the Polly Pockets. I'm sorry, it is so hard.
Speaker 5: And then I could go on Toma, Goot Cheese, America.
Speaker 2: Susannah and I definitely American Girl didn't even exist when we were That thing was not around. Saved our parents thousands of dollars because it is expensive, oh beyond so expensive.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, anyway, join us.
Speaker 2: For toy talk. Laura I tells Rory of the educational videos they will be watching, and that will be followed by an educational video which includes, but it's not limited to, Bridge on the River Kwai, The Joy Luck Club, Karate Kid, Shanghai Surprise, The Bruce Lee Classic, Enter the Dragon, The Tom Sellad Classic, Mister Baseball, and or Breakfast at Tiffany. So I'm going to give you a little fact on each of these. The Bridge on the River Qui is in nineteen fifty seven epic war film based on the novel written by Pierre Boulet. The Joy Luck Club is a drama film about the relationships between Chinese American women and their Chinese immigrant mothers. The Karate Kid, the original Ralph Maccio is in nineteen eighty four martial arts drama film. Also Elizabeth Shu Shanghai Surprise is a nineteen eighty six adventure comedy film. Enter Shane I Surprise. I can't think of who' stars that. For some reason, I want to say it with Steven Sigal, but I think that's wrong. Enter the Dragon is a nineteen seventy three martial arts film. Mister Baseball is a nineteen ninety two American sports comedy film. Breakfast at Tiffany's is a nineteen sixty one romantic comedy film. Can Anybody give Me One Star of Shanghai Surprise?
Speaker 7: Wasn't it somebody? The guy that was married to Madonna? Sean Penn?
Speaker 2: Sean Penn, I think you may be correct. You may be correct? Did you know? The Joy Luck Club was originally a series of sixteen vignettes written by Amy Tann, effectively making it a short story collection. After receiving such positive feedback, she then wrote the novel in just four months.
Speaker 3: Wow, I had dinner with Amy Tan one night.
Speaker 2: No way, that's pretty cool. Way she didn't cast you in anything?
Speaker 3: No, we have friends in mine in San Francisco or having a dinner party and who she was one of the honored guests.
Speaker 2: So oh that's cool.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was cool.
Speaker 2: Which of those movies? So this weekend you have to watch one of these? I still think I'm going to go for the classic Karate Kid, but I do love me some Tom Selleck and Mister Baseball's probably a bad movie, though.
Speaker 3: You got to go with maybe Entered the Dragon, now that's a classic Bruce Lee film.
Speaker 2: And maybe Breakfast at Tiffany's, which I haven't.
Speaker 3: Seen, and Breakfast at Tiffany's there, what are you gonna pick? Actually really very similar films, although there was less Karate and Breakfast at Tiffany's.
Speaker 7: I've never seen Breakfast to Tiffany's, so I would pick that one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, all right.
Speaker 7: Uh. Rory has just found out about Christopher and Larelai. She is not pleased. Rory says, no, I can't stop seeing it because it happened, and you're trying to pretend like it didn't. Laura I says, I'm not perfect. Okay, people make mistakes. I mean Gwyneth Paltrow dyed her hair that dark brown. It was very unflattering. Gwyneth Paltrow is an actress known for Shakespeare in Love, The Talented Mister Ripley, The Royal Tenenbaumbs, and more recently in Marvel films as pepper Pots. Laurai is referring to when in nineteen ninety nine, Gwyneth Paltrow dyed her hair for the movie Bounce, in Wynneth entered a ski crash lawsuit, where in twenty twenty three, the jury found that she was not at fault and was awarded one dollar in damages. And did you know that her godfather is Steven Spielberg?
Speaker 2: I did? Wait, so Bounce was the one with Gwyneth and Ben Affleck? And am I did Gwyneth date Ben Affleck?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 1: I thank you?
Speaker 2: Yes, that post pre Brad Pitt post.
Speaker 1: They both dated everyone? What do you mean?
Speaker 2: Give me the timeline? Gwyneth first Brad Pitt, then Ben Affleck. And that was when Matt Damon was dating Winona Rider. Am I making this up?
Speaker 1: What?
Speaker 2: Am I crazy?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 1: Well known a Rider?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Matt Damon didn't make that?
Speaker 5: Stand by here?
Speaker 6: Shock it?
Speaker 3: I think I shocking?
Speaker 6: Also, were there two mentions of Gwyneth in the episode?
Speaker 2: Yes, okay, yeah, I.
Speaker 6: Was watching and I'm like two in one.
Speaker 7: Yeah, because Rory mentioned it when she was talking to Lane about being a mom.
Speaker 2: Oh Apple, that's what it was.
Speaker 5: Then Ben Affleck, Wow, yeah, Brad Pitt was ninety four to ninety seven and Affleck was ninety seven to two thousand.
Speaker 4: Whoa.
Speaker 5: And then she went to Luke Wilson.
Speaker 2: She I mean Luke Wilson, that's what.
Speaker 3: And then Chris, when I was dating those guys, that's I've got to have a conversation.
Speaker 5: Her her streak.
Speaker 2: There was not that anyone cares. Chris Martin is the nicest person. Oh oh yeah, the nicest person you will ever encounter.
Speaker 5: We'll take his jacket off to give if you say it. Oh yeah, his jacket.
Speaker 2: You guys have it?
Speaker 6: Do you guys have his love pins?
Speaker 2: Of course I have one. He's so nice. He is so nice. Henry Winkler even nicer. But yet I'm gonna give Chris Martin up there. If I had to name the five nicest celebrities, I think, oh, Keith Urban, Yeah, you.
Speaker 6: Know what, he may take the cake.
Speaker 5: Keith Urban's a freakin' doll.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, good game. Though, nicest celebrities ever.
Speaker 6: Okay, So in the same scene, Rory just found out about Christopher and Lorelai, and she is not pleased. Rory says, you know what, mom, if your heart broken, rent an Affair to Remember and have a good cry and drown your sorrows and a pine of ice cream, you get a hideously unflattering breakup haircut. You don't sleep with dad. An Affair to Remember is a nineteen fifty seven film starring Carry Grant and Deborah Kerr, our second Deborah Kerr movie mentioned in this episode, and the film is about a couple that falls in love and agrees to meet in six months at the Empire State Building. And did you know that Carrie Grant and Deborah Kerr got along famously and it shows in their on screen romance. Kerr said, he taught me so much. And we improvise a lot of things in that In fact, one flubbed improvised moment actually stayed in the film.
Speaker 5: Okay, Laine has just discovered she is pregnant and is freaking out a little bit. Lane says, I have a picture in my head of me as a mother, you know, I can imagine it. And in that picture were in a skirt and heels and my hair is up in a bun. I'm pushing one of those fancy British baby carriages that are called silver surfers or something, Rory says, very Madonna in her Madge the British Mommy phase. Madonna is known as the Queen of Pop. She was recently re certified in the twenty twenty three by the Genus World Records as the biggest selling female recording artists of all time. She has reportedly sold more than four hundred million records album singles in digital during her forty year music career. Did you know? In nineteen seventy seven Madonna dropped out of college moved to New York with thirty five dollars in her pocket. Oh god, the next one is so good.
Speaker 2: To You can do it. You can just do it.
Speaker 5: Same scene, the same scene, Lane has discovered she was pregnant, spreaking out a little bit. Rory goes, you don't have to be perfect. I mean, even Gwyneth Paltrow sometimes makes a mistake, like Shallow How and that other movie Nobody saw where she played a stewardess. So who's perfect? Nobody, not even mothers. I disagree. Shallow How was an amazing movie.
Speaker 2: I liked it too. I liked it too.
Speaker 5: Yeah, And it's a comedy starring Gwyneth, Jack Black and Jason Alexander. The other movie refer Rory's referring to is called View from the Top.
Speaker 2: That is bad? Did you know?
Speaker 5: Gwyneth Paltrow admitted she thought that View from the Top was a terrible movie and the bonus features of her own film Things was bad.
Speaker 2: Now people have criticism of shallow how but there I like amusing parts to it whenever she was the flight attendant.
Speaker 6: Really bad one are the three mentions in this episode?
Speaker 2: Three mentions? This is like the it's either lazy writing or a big fan amy.
Speaker 5: You want to do the next one?
Speaker 2: Or as Lane doubts herself of being ready to be a mother, Rory As shures her that she is, and already you're way ahead of a lot of people as far as parenting skills go. Like Britney, Britney doesn't deserve this. Britney Spears does not know which end of a baby goes up, and Courtney loves She's known June Cleaver. Brittany Spears is a pop singer and is credited with influencing the revival of Team Pop during the late nineties and early two thousands. Courtney Love is the lead singer and guitarist of the rock band alternative rock band Hole. She gained a lot of attention following her marriage to Nirvana frontman Kurt Cobain. June Cleaver is the mom in the television sitcom Leave It to Beaver, and she was the mom to Wally and the Beef. June Cleaver is a literary reference meaning the perfect stay at home mom. Wow, that's it. I did not know that. I could talk about Brittany and June Cleaver all day long, but I won't.
Speaker 5: There is a lot of pop cultures.
Speaker 2: Yeah, keep it going, Keep up the energy, keep up the energy. I can do one more. Rory continues to ease Laane with some humor, and Michael Jackson, you know not to name a child blanket ball Blanket is now called Bigie. I do know that. Do not name your baby after an inanimate object. See way ahead of the pack. I wonder if I'm Blanket ever met Tom and Katy's baby pillow. Okay, Tom and Katy's baby is named Surrey. Yeah, that would be a perfect playdate. Yeah, when it's naptime, they'd be totally set and then they can bind Gwennis Apple over after for a little snack. Banjo Rachel Griffith's baby could play for them. See this to me is like pop culture pandering. They're like trying too hard, and then they could all jump in me a Firos satchel and make fun of h what's his space? Oh, Pilot Inspector Lee. Okay, I actually did not like this little moment in the episode because I thought it was like hashtag trying too hard with the pop culture references like it. Just the reason in the first six seasons the pop culture worked is because it was the opposite of gratuitous. This episode seemed like they were like, this episode sucks. Let's just throw in a thousand pop.
Speaker 6: Culture and they're all just like celebrities who we would all know. Like, it wasn't like it's not clever. Yeah, it's not clever. That's the right way to put it. But I didn't know the Blanket changed his name. When did it happen, Biggie?
Speaker 2: I don't know when Blanket probably got older. I'm going to go through this real fast. Prince Michael Jackson, the second known as Blanket is Biggie now and he's the third child of Michael Jackson. He was nicknamed Blanket by his father, who would often cover his face with the blanket in public to hide him from photographers. And actually, I think Blanket and Michael Jackson's mom are having some sort of a tussle over money. Apple is the name of Chris Martin and Gwyneth Paltrow's daughter. It was Chris's idea to give her that name because it sounded so sweet, and you know what, I'm okay with it. Rachel Griffiths a baby is named Banjo after Banjo Patterson's storyteller Mia Farrow name and her son Satchel, but has since taken his middle name Ronan ronan pharaoh who's quite recognizable who as Satchel. I had no idea that was his birth name. Pilot Inspector Lee is the son of Jason Lee and Beth Rievesgraff, named after one of best favorite songs by indie rock band Granddaddy. And Rory's reference about Tom and Katy's baby is because there was a lot of speculation that Katie Holmes wasn't actually pregnant and she was using a pillow to fake a bump.
Speaker 6: But you know what, we saw that kid looks exactly like her too, right.
Speaker 2: There twins walking down the street. And also we like Katie Holmes a lot very we could added the list of super nice celebrities.
Speaker 3: Okay, lizten TJ, Zamzaic Andsole. Luke about laurel I t J. It's like string theory, Luke, string theory. What do you know about string theory? TJ? Don't there underestimate me, Luke.
Speaker 1: I read and I.
Speaker 3: Watched Battlestar Galacting physics. The string theory is the theoretical framework in which the point like particles of particle physics are replaced by one dimensional object called strings. String theory describes how these strings propagate through space and interact with each other. Battlestar Galactic as a science fiction media franchise, beginning with the original Intellivision series and following with a line of book adaptations and games that You Know. TikTok's latest trend, known as the invisible string theory, revolves around the age old concept of fate and destiny when it comes to meeting your soul whoa yes.
Speaker 2: And also if you want to learn about string theory. You can watch Big Bang Theory because I think they address dring theory a lot on Big Bank Theory. Suzanne, you go sure.
Speaker 7: Liz is explaining to Luke how he and laurla I had separate lives. Lisa, it was like that movie with Keanu Reeves and Sandra Bullock. TJ says, exactly, Oh, yes, exactly, and then Liz says, you're living in the same house, man, but you are a couple of years apart in the space time continuum, and TJ says, what house? It was a bus? Oh, I thought you were talking about speed. Speed applies to Loz Is referring to the two thousand and six film The Lake House. The story revolves around an architect Keanu Reeves, living in two thousand and four and a doctor Sandra Bullock, living in two thousand and six, who meet via letters left in the mailbox of a lake house where they both lived at separate points in time. They carry on a two year correspondence while remaining separated by the time difference. I've never heard of this movie, and now what.
Speaker 2: It's It's a trippy movie and you kind of get confused on I had to like Wikipedia. Keep going, yo, I want to see why if you like it?
Speaker 7: Yeah. Speed is a nineteen ninety four film also starring Keanu Reeves and Sandra Bullock. And did you know that Speed won two Oscars in nineteen ninety five, one for Best Sound and the other for Best Effects and Sound Effects Editing.
Speaker 2: I love Speed, but I love Speed. It's an amazing.
Speaker 6: Wait on the is it on there on the bus?
Speaker 4: Right?
Speaker 2: Gold Watch? Gold Watch? Fairly cheesy? Yeah, I've seen it.
Speaker 1: It's good.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, I can just thousand lines from Speed. But Susanne, you must give feedback on if you liked the lake House.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I'll track it.
Speaker 3: Down all right. Well we'll do a whole episode on that anyway. Thanks everybody. It was a rollicking fun time with pop culture. Many many pertinent pop culture references. We are lifted by them, best fans on the planet. Keep the cards and letters coming. We read them and we uh.
Speaker 2: Look, guys, Scott doesn't want me to say this, but I was willing to take some weeks off, but nobody will let me so here I am no.
Speaker 3: No, You're not going anywhere. You're the straw that stirs the drink. You're like You're the straw that broke the no.
Speaker 1: You're the straw that stirs the drink.
Speaker 6: Man.
Speaker 1: I can't even speak.
Speaker 2: You're fine, You're fine.
Speaker 3: We'll seek surgically removed too.
Speaker 1: Thank you.
Speaker 3: Love you guys, best fans on the plane, and you proved it to me in Mississippi and Nashville.
Speaker 1: It was awesome. Thank you so much. Anyway, bye bye.
Speaker 3: I'm getting on my horse and I'm riding away.
Speaker 4: Bye.
Speaker 1: Hey, everybody's Altoget.
Speaker 3: Follow us on Instagram at I Am All In podcast, and email us at Gilmour at iHeartRadio dot com