Speaker 1: Film Spotting is presented by Regal Unlimited, the all you can watch movie subscription pass that pays for itself in just two visits. See any standard two D movie anytime with no blackoutdates or restrictions. Sign up now on the Regal app or at the link in our description and use code film spot twenty six to receive fifteen percent off.
Speaker 2: What kind of a show you guys putting on here today?
Speaker 1: You're not interested in armed now? So look, we're going to do this thing. We're going to have a conversation. Hey, film spotters, Adam and Josh. Here. The sixth and final film in our Dissident Cinema Marathon is Jafar Panahi's chronicle of contemporary Ron Circle the late nineties.
Speaker 3: The Circle.
Speaker 2: The Dissident Cinema Marathon is dedicated to films that depict or openly confront fascism of various kinds. We have discussed six films in all, or we will have once we get through this conversation about the Circle. You can find the full lineup at filmspotting dot net. Slash marathons. You can also find there our entire history of marathons. We have done over fifty of these over the years. What are these well? Marathon is the word we use to describe these series where we try to eliminate our cinematic blind spots. They are often devoted to directors or actors or genres, sometimes even regions of world cinema. I had to look up, Josh where this film placed exactly in Panahi's filmography has been a favorite of mine, certainly over the years of doing this show, as I've gotten to discover his work. It's his third feature after The White Balloon in nineteen ninety five, and then my beloved The Mirror, a movie that became beloved for me after watching it as part of a marathon here on Film Spotting that came out in nineteen ninety seven. This movie closing out our marathon is a little bit of an outlier due to the time of its release. I did bring up whether or not it belonged in this marathon or we should just conclude after five movies. Because we had a run of what nineteen forty to basically nineteen sixty nine, It was kind of compact about three decades, and most of what we were recovering was really dealing with World War two. It seemed really nice and tidy, and then all of a sudden we were jumping ahead to the year two thousand and also in terms of subject matter, not so much dealing with fascism per se, but definitely an oppressive state, as this film is confronting Iran's treatment of women in terms of quality, because if I remember correctly, we have been fans of every film, both of us, every film in this marathon. Yeah, was The Circle an outlier or is it an appropriate conclusion to the marathon?
Speaker 1: I think it's appropriate on many terms, including its quality. I think it holds up alongside of these classics we've been we've been visiting. And I also think, you know, we have been tossing around fascism a lot. It's probably been the go to phrase for this Dissonan cinema marathon, But honestly, in thinking about it in larger terms, we were discussing oppressive regimes, authoritarianism, any system of that sort that is really limiting human freedom in systematic ways, and that's absolutely what we see here. And I do think, you know, also there's some unfortunate relevance in the fact that we have this pretty blatantly illegal war launched against Iran on the part of the United States right now, and any chance to get to know an area that is being besieged in this way, I think is the movies just offer you a really helpful way to get your mind around that, beyond news reports and other sources of information. You know, I was grateful to our contemporary Iranian Cinema marathon when we first did it, for helping to educate and enlighten about that part of the world. And you know, those questions are anew with the conflict going on right now, and so I do think it was nice to see again set decades ago now but still to learn about movements and people's experiences of the regimes in Iran even now. So yeah, I think I'm glad we're here. Glad is a strange word. This hasn't been the cheeriest of marathons, but I do think it's it's fitting. Yeah, curious to hear what you think along those lines, and absolutely want to dig into that quality question you asked.
Speaker 2: I had a similar reaction as you. I'm certainly glad that we watched it. It's befitting in terms of its subject matter and befitting in terms of of quality. Trust Panahe to find the perfect I'm going to dig in, trust Panahi to find the perfect formal conceit to convey this portrait of systemic oppression. Right, this is what he has become so known for over the years. I have not seen The White Balloon, but I wondered if, even from the very beginning he was trying cinematic techniques like this, And from what I could understand, I didn't want to learn too much about it. It seems like that movie is relatively straightforward. It did win the Camera Door for Best First Feature at the can Film Festival in ninety five. The Guardian listed it as one of the fifty best family films. Ever, Bfi said that it's one of fifty films you should see by the age of fourteen. So this is a movie we should probably reckon with. At some point. We should see The White Balloons. But in terms of its narrative journey and how the craft and content meat pretty traditional. The Mirror next is where he starts playing the disruptor in terms of technique, and there's the Blue Heron esque rupturing of reality. Since then, he has almost always I'll say almost always because I didn't go back and look at every single film and every film that I know. He's almost always had a concept and an elegant one, and you catch on, or at least I thought I was catching on. Without knowing where this movie was going to go. I thought I might be catching on to the concept here when we get this incredible prelude the opening of this film. This opening scene, which is a relatively brief scene in terms of meeting this character, the grandmother character that the camera is focusing on. She is outside the door this whatever you want to call it, the food door or the peep holes. It looks like in a jail cell. You'll understand if you've seen the movie. Why I'm saying that. But this is a This is a hospital, and she's outside the door basically of a of a maternity room. Her daughter is giving birth, and at the beginning of this film, she's awaiting the good news that her daughter has given birth to a son. This is especially important to this family. It turns out, because the daughter's husband's family was told it would be a boy. The ultrasounds said it would be a boy. They want a boy, they're expecting a boy, and now she's just been told, congratulations, it's a girl. We don't even see the grandmother for a long time. We're just looking at the back of her head, but we can still understand, just from the way the camera is positioned behind her, per lack of movement, per lack of excitement, that something is off. And then we understand from her dialogue, where she essentially is saying some version of check again, that that can't be right. She's like, no, she doesn't believe it, and she doesn't more importantly, she doesn't want to believe it. But as as the camera then, and the camera, if I'm remembering correctly, I didn't go back just to be one hundred percent sure, But I think that entire opening is one long take, a continuous take where we follow her. I don't know if there are any cuts. We follow her past a couple of other characters, including another daughter, and then when she ends up out on the street, the baton, if you will, sort of gets passed to another character.
Speaker 3: And you you, and it's.
Speaker 2: In real time, and the fact that it's in real time, and the fact that then the grandmother disappears, you say, oh, okay, I wonder if then this is what's going to happen in this film is that we're going to be passed along different women and their stories, and that, indeed is the circle. That's just part of the circle metaphor of the title. That is indeed what happens, isn't it? And it is the It is the perfect metaphor. And I did not have a sense of just how perfect it would be and how devastating it would be until Panahi hits us with the stomach punch at the end.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the ending. I mean we should discuss in detail and give a little spoiler before we do that for folks who are encouraged to watch this for the first time, because I didn't know that's what was going to happen. But I do think it is the it is the triumph of the film is bringing us around to that point. You're right, but Tom, that's how I was thinking about this too. We essentially have a relay race here, because it's not just that first handoff. We go through I think three, possibly four or other women or groups of women we meet that the movie introduces us to. We run along with them for a short while. Some sort of resolution kind of comes in some segments, but yeah, not airways, and not fully. You know, the women's lives move ahead, certainly, but really do they get anywhere? I think we see that in most cases not. And you know, there's something also. There's a couple of ways this is so effective. And the one is we've talked about looking at these movies and their depictions of oppressive societies, and I think a lot of the movies we considered have a fairly broad canvas, you know, but still there are main characters in a lot of cases, or two or three main characters, and so we can get the sense of, well, this time and this oppression was experienced by this person, maybe this neighborhood. But by doing this, by expanding the canvas so wide in what is you know, probably the shortest film of the marathon, but certainly among them, in expanding things this wide, we really do get a sense of the societal reality that this isn't just a you know, a woman or two women in unfortunate situations, that this is a top down issue. So it does that, and it also does Adam, this is something you know, if you had told me the structure, I could have said, yeah, that's probably why he chose it, right, But it is only experiencing the structure that I think we realize. Going back to another quality you talked about devastating, I think there's a helplessness to not having these women's stories resolved or improved in most cases and anyway, and us as viewers moving on, you just feel so helpless, not obviously as a viewer that you could do so something for them, but I think there's a form of empathy going on. There's a contract between viewer and subject in a movie where we sort of feel like we're helping by watching something about our viewing, our attending, our witnessing, not practically but just in our movie going experience. We feel like we're there with them. And when that baton gets passed from one of them, still in a state of distress, and we pick up with someone else and we know we're likely not going to get back to the other person, there is an extra helplessness that I think feeds into that devastation you're describing that really makes this a wrenching, a wrenching experience. And let me go back just quickly to that, because you were laying it out in such detail that opening sequence. There's one thing I want to point out about the first baton pass as well, because it speaks to your point about Panahi's really incisive use of his locations and putting us in the moment, if not always precisely long, single takes, certainly longer takes that have that feeling. So we follow that grandmother out onto the street, and this is where we pick up three new women, Arazoo Nargs and then another woman who I don't think is named, and this is all on the block that the hospital is on. Basically, they separate. We're introduced to three women and they separate Nares. The youngest stays in the middle where the camera met them, and then one of them goes to one far end of the block and the other goes to the other far end of the block. And the camera looks back and forth, and what we're witnessing is that the woman, I think it's Arizoo, who goes to the one end to chase down a guy who just said something rude to them. Right, the other friend goes to the under end of the block. I think she's going to a newspaper stand, and the camera sees that she's beginning to have a confrontation with police and by going back and forth. By looking back and forth, we realize that in the course of a single block, this is what these three women are experiencing. In the middle now, Jess is in this just frightened state of not knowing where to move. And again it's we'll probably spend more time on this, but Panahi's use of the street settings, it just shows you that all of this can take place within the course of you know, I don't know, one hundred feet or whatever it is.
Speaker 2: Yeah, one hundred feet and a normal day, a fairly normal experience, and that is what we get over the course of this movie. Helplessness is the right word, because the only problem with us using the terminology baton or talking about it like it's a race is if it was really a race and they were going around the oval, is there's a finish line.
Speaker 3: But there's no finish line here.
Speaker 2: That's the entire point is this just continues and continues and there is no resolution. There's certainly no neat resolution to any of this, and sometimes we get that brought to life with the camera. Did you notice how often in spaces, whether it's at for example, the bus station, we see these women often going around in circles. There are parts of these locations where it feels like they are they are walking in a loop, or they're they're retracing their steps.
Speaker 3: That's one of this too.
Speaker 2: But often it's just a matter of their confinement. And that's that's what that's what he shows is that no matter where they are, no matter if they're in open spaces, they are somehow still trapped. They are trapped by this system. They are trapped by this this condition, the condition of this state that demands that men get to make all the decisions for them. Think about how many times you hear people say I mean Perry is one of the or Pari is one of the characters who she's she's four months pregnant, she has no identification, she doesn't have a father who can take responsibility for her, she doesn't have a husband, and she just says at one point to the one person she thinks can help her, I don't know what to do. I don't know where to go. And that's true. She she is completely helpless. The woman we see at the very end, Josh, who is on a bus and even the way that bus is shot, she's sitting there and and how is it how is it portrayed. There's like four other men and and they're they're all angled around her so that there's just there's just no escape there, there's no escape. And the bus, the ticket person, the taxi driver, they have to beg people to do them favors. They have to beg men to do them favors, simply to do basic things like I want to buy I want to buy a bus ticket. That's the Yeah, that's the those conditions that they're living under.
Speaker 1: To go back to the woman on that prison bus at the very end, and men making the decisions and making the rules even in the moment can't smell talk about talk about the payoff to the repeated motif from the very beginning about these women failing to light a cigarette, wanting to have a cigarette, and how many sequences, Adam, do they start to light one for some reason or ask for one and it's it's failed.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they no matches whatever.
Speaker 1: I don't think I don't think anyone gets to have a cigarette in the point until this sequence where this woman who has been picked up. We understand she was on the street and a man picked her up, that she's a sex worker, and the man is let go. She gets arrested. She's on this prison bus with, as you said, a couple other men, and she tries to light a cigarette and is told no smoking on here. What happens later a little bit later, the one or two of the other men on the bus they light their cigarette, and so suddenly they're smoking, and we cut back to this woman and she looks and I forget exactly how it happens, but basically the point is she either lights her own again. She tries again and figures, well, if they're doing it now, I can do it. And she's allowed to. But it's the first cigarette in the film that's actually lit, is not until the men have done it first for themselves, which just speaks to your point about, you know, decisions being completely out of your control, even something as personal as that is that they all.
Speaker 2: Do. We go ahead and talk about the end, acknowledging that we have to we have to say that this is heavy spoilers or are there other things you want to talk about.
Speaker 1: I do want to build on your note about imprisonment and the visual nature of this, because I noticed fairly early on that there is so much jail imagery or just bars on the screen, and you were already touching on one when you talked about narjest circling at the bus station, and she does. It's that lower level, so they're floor to ceiling windows, but each pane of window is separated by a vertical black bar, and as she's circling, which you described, the movement makes those they almost come quicker than they would if she was just walking looking slowly, and they definitely to me had the feeling of jail bars. You can see there's another just shot again Panaki using the streets so well, of Nargetes crouching against a wall, and the wall is next to a gated door, and of course there are bars on that, but just maybe they waited for the light to be right. But the bars are also casting a shadow onto the ground in front of her, reminding her as we learn that her and the other two women she's with they snuck out of prison that morning, and so it's still haunting her even though she's escaped. And then just one more I really liked. Pari goes to talk to a friend who works at a movie theater in the ticket booth and she's allowed inside. Panahi keeps the camera outside the ticket booth, frames their faces in the window where you pay for your tickets, which of course has bars as well, so that idea of imprisonment is also very much built into the composition.
Speaker 2: Choices of locales imprisonment or barriers to entry, right, they're either stuck or they can't get in. That is the point that is just the accepted or well it is unfortunately, it's the accepted part of existence. They really have no choice in this case, these women.
Speaker 3: Unfortunately.
Speaker 2: That is something that Panahi really very vividly depicts in this film. People listening who may be thinking, Okay, I want to see this movie before especially they spoil the ending of the film. There there isn't with this movie exactly a case where we could spoil the plot of the movie or a big reveal. But as we're talking about the formal conceit and how important it is, I didn't, as I alluded to expect that it would have the total payoff that it does at the end, the devastating payoff that it does. So if you want it shouldn't be surprising because it's Panahi, and especially after something like the ending of it was just an accident A.
Speaker 3: Year or two ago.
Speaker 2: Of course he would give us something like this, but I wasn't anticipating it. If you don't want to hear us talk about it, you do want to watch this movie. This was the one movie. Another reason why we considered not putting it in the marathon was that we couldn't find it. It didn't seem to be available on DVD, couldn't get it at the at the library, no streaming or VOD platforms had it. And a listener wrote in, and maybe as we're talking I can look it up just to make sure we give him credit and said, well, you know, the whole thing is legal or illegal. The whole thing is English subtitled on YouTube, and it is. And if you go to our marathons page, we have a link to it, or you can just go to YouTube and type in the circle Panahi and it will come up, and it's ninety minutes long. And we're obviously encouraging you to watch it. So have we done our due diligence, Josh and setting up the ending and spoil as we talk about it. Could you have ever anticipated the gut punch that we get at the end of this film?
Speaker 1: I mean, I think if we if I tried to plot it out and realize the structure he'd been using and thought more deeply about the title, I might you can see how we get there, right, but it still did take me by surprise. There is a reference at one point to one of the women to take me to the circle in the taxi car. So so I had already understood, like this must be, you know, a neighborhood or maybe a traffic area that she's referring to. Maybe that's all the title is pulling from. But yeah, to bring us again following that arrested sex worker played by Emojgan Faramarzi, who brings a very refreshing attitude like she's she's the one who who kind of pushes back the most. I think, well, that's not true. Actually, I would say one of the one goes to chase down the men who are being rude. She also Pari. I think it's Pari. Yeah, she also has some things to say, but at any rate, to know that we're going to follow her after being arrested into a holding cell where we're going to meet again, reacquaint some of the other women we've already met and see contradicting what we were saying earlier what I was saying earlier about we don't know what's going to happen to them. Now we do see what is happening to a couple of them, and it's it's as bad as we could have feared, and it's possibly even worse. I want to ask you a question about a tiny detail in this ending, but first, yes, say it, how it affected you and what you made of it.
Speaker 2: Well, we get the visual motif of the circle with the camera right that is now going around the room. It's identifying that we're seeing the women and that they the previous women that we have followed, and that they have ended up here. But to then on top of that that, honestly, Josh, you know, this is where I go back to something like it was just an accident.
Speaker 3: I believe.
Speaker 2: I even said the ending we got was already more than sufficient, and then he gives us something after it that just makes it even more special. And this is even more, especially heart wrenching. But in this case, the ending is great. And then the added element here is to have the symmetry of opening the film. We've come full circle. Of course, the film has come full circle. To have the visual symmetry of the movie opening on the opening of that food door, or I'm calling it again the food door, because that's what it is in a jail cell. But that sliding, that sliding little door within the hospital door. Now we're opening it. Same shot, same type of door, same type of little window. It was in a hospital door, now it's in the jail cell. There, that's enough symmetry. We've come full circle. And then to find out that the name that's being called for is the name of the woman giving birth at the beginning, the woman who gave birth to the girl who failed Josh, who failed to properly give birth to a boy as she promised that she was going to at the beginning of the film, the implication being I don't know what else to read into it other than something obviously has so spiraled sense that moment, as as we understand it likely will based on how the grandmother responds, based on how the grandmother. There's a moment Josh, the first person, the grandmother, it's so hard to watch. I want to say I love it because it's something so stunning, but it's so hard to watch. The first person the grandmother runs into whoever it is she knows the reality.
Speaker 3: She knows it.
Speaker 2: She's trying to process it, and I don't think she's in denial, like she knows it, but it's almost like she just doesn't want to face it. So when she meets the first person and they're like, oh, so, what's the news, and she goes, uh, no, nothing's happened yet, Like you know, she just maybe it's a little hazy on who exactly. Maybe that was the other I think that's the in law's family, and so she doesn't want to be the one to tell them.
Speaker 3: That it's not a boy.
Speaker 2: So she's just like, yeah, no news yet, and moves and moves along it. That's that's a very hard thing to watch. So to know that this is such terrible news that they have, that that family has given birth to a girl, that now that mother has somehow ended up in such a such a state that she's now imprisoned. That I mean that the entire movie, Josh, we could make an entire movie just about that woman's story.
Speaker 1: Sure, Oh, any of these women, Yeah, absolutely, which I think speaks to the richness of the of the storylines and the characterizations and the performances that any of these women could support there on movie. I think you're That was my first impression too, that the name it is exactly the same. I went back check the subtitles at the beginning against the name they call at the end. It's the same, very likely the same woman, like you said, spiraled to some point. It wouldn't take much we've learned. As you said, I think there's also a possibility that this is a bit of symbolic coincidence that Panahi is offering. You know, it could be a different woman who has the same name, But the point is the same to your observation about the door, the window that slides open. It's even if it's a different woman but who has the same name. The movie is making the same point by having the same window in a maternity ward and a prison cell.
Speaker 2: There are other hundred There are a hundred of these women in a similar position.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, it goes back to, you know, my notion of the importance of having these be multiple stories.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: The production design choice here too, though, Adam. It's not just that the window is about the same size and shape and functions the same way. The walls themselves are different colors. The maternity ward is like a hospital, white but blank, like faceless. Nothing really distinguishes the window, the door that slides except it's purpose. It's all painted the same. The jail is the same way. It's green, kind of like a dark green, it seemed to me. But again all you know, like monochrome essentially, where it's the only color on that door, and there's just sort of a facelessness to that, you know, painting choice. There's there's an inhumanity to it that both places have because for women, they're experiencing the same thing essentially in both places. So the question I had for you, also in addition to the use of the name, is about the women there. I know we see nigas An Arizo, who we saw there the second to take the baton out on the block as I described, and Arizo is actually the one I was thinking of. Who's Who's kind of talks back to the men played by Mariam Parvin Almani. She has she has a real spark to her performance. Do we see the third woman who is with them on that block?
Speaker 3: And do we I don't remember for sure.
Speaker 1: I rewatched a couple of times. It's very dark in the cell. There are other women but the only faces you see clearly are Narjessa and Arizela, and so it made me wonder, is Pari there? Who is the woman who's pregnant and looking for help with that. We also spend time with a character we haven't mentioned yet, the mother of a young girl who we don't exactly get the details, but is in such a desperate situation. She's out on the street trying to essentially abandon her young daughter, hoping she'll be picked up by a wealthy family that can take care of her. I wonder if that woman is possibly in the cell as well. We can't. It's not hard to see you if there are some of them there. For sure, there are some of them, and I like that. I guess is my larger If not, I like that because if it is all of them, I feel like it would be heavy handed if the camera lingered on each face for twenty second. But there's there's a bit of naturalism against this again, this gorilla filmmaking on the street, sensibility fly on the wall that Panahi brings to the entire film. There's a naturalism there even within this Jyall cell that I think is important as opposed to deciding there to linger on their faces too.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this film The Circle. We would love to hear your thoughts about it. You can email us feedback at film spotting dot net. Also, Josh, we need to officially conclude our business of this marathon like we always do, which is with our awards. We will plan to record that conversation where we give out our marathon awards, including things like best Actor or Actress, Best Supporting Actor or Actress, Best Picture. That'll be tough next week. But the first order businesses that we have to decide on what we're going to call the awards, and we also have to decide what that special topic is. What's that award that is unique to this marathon that only the Dissident Cinema Marathon could could evoke? Is it? Is it the best moment of activism, the best pushback something?
Speaker 1: That's where Yeah, that's where my mind went. I don't have something right now for a title for the awards, and listeners always have better ones anyway, So get those to us quickly, please do, because I think we're going to be doing this within a week or so. Yeah. I was thinking along the lines of dissident gesture, something that's cinematic, you know, so it it not a line of dialogue necessarily, and maybe I would probably look for something that involves the filmmaking in a especially clever, unique way. As we've been discussing the whole structure of the circle, you know, just something in the filmmaking that surprises us that can count as a dissonant gesture. All of these movies are as a whole, taken as a whole, but maybe there's like just a little moment or a touch or a filmmaking choice that feels particularly like it's trying to push back against these forces that the movies are depicting.
Speaker 2: I'm on board if you have a pick for dissident gesture, if you've been doing your homework and playing along as part of this marathon, or if you have an alternate suggestion, if you have a suggestion for a name for these awards, or if you have any comments at all about our conversation regarding the circle. We'd love to hear all of it feedback at filmspotting dot net.
Speaker 1: We're about to start another week here, Adam, so we want to remind folks about what's coming up in the film Spotting feed Monday, we will have another episode of the Movie Racket with Michael Phillips his guest this time. This is going to be so great. At least Dana Stevens, regular guest on Film Spotting regular live guests. She's done, you know, a number of live shows. I think my first live show I ever did was with Dana and Michael and you. Yes, So this will be really cool to hear them together on the Movie Racket that is Monday. On Tuesday, Film Spotting SVU will have some Spider Man Brand New Day related streaming recommendations, of course, along with some thoughts on the new film. You know you want those thoughts from Matt Singer, your friendly neighborhood Spider Man expert. Thursday, the Next Picture Show, they have part one of a new pairing, the Anthony Bourdain biopic Tony and Pixar's Ratitudey. I mean, come on, you gotta listen to that. See what they make of the new film, which is which is pretty good, I'll say, and Ratitude is pretty great. So they'll dig into some fascinating connections. On the Next Picture Show Friday, we're back Adam with one of our most anticipated movies of the year, Jane Shoon Bruns teenage sex and death at Camp Miasma, and also some thoughts on the Cold War drama The Brink of War for Film Spotting, I'm Josh Larson.
Speaker 2: And I met him Kempinar. Thanks for listening. This conversation can serve no purpose anymore.
Speaker 3: Good Bye,