Speaker 1: This episode is brought to you by Unstoppable. Discover the inspiring true story about Anthony Robliss, who defined every expectation to become a national wrestling champion. And Unstoppable, a new original movie from Amazon MGM Studios and director William Goldenberg, evoking the excitement and camaraderie of classic sports dramas and thrilling wrestling matches. Unstoppable features an all star ensemble cast including Jerrel Jerome, Jennifer Lopez, Don Cheatle, Michael Panya, and Bobby Knavalli. Watch Unstoppable now exclusively on Amazon Prime Video.
Speaker 2: Wow, what an introduction that was. Fancy animation Episode two hundred and fifty. What's right with Nick Wright? And this episode? This very special episode is brought to you by Hoggy's Skin Essentials. Babies rejoice, New Huggy Skin Essentials are here, a brand new Germantologists approved line of diapers, wipe some pull ups, training pants, all designed with a baby's sensitive skin in mind. Demons, We've got quite a show playing for everyone today. Good to see you. You look great. You and I have both gone minimalistic with our outfit choices today. No logos, no sleeves, his white T shirt and black T shirt to celebrate the occasion, and because today is a special show, I am going to do something I essentially I try never to do, and I scold other podcasts for doing, which is a bunch of fluff in the beginning before we get to what people are here for. Because I think the fluff in the beginning here actually people will enjoy, which is I am well, I have to go back. The payoff on this, I promise will be worth it. But I have to tell you guys a story from our vacation quickly that then leads to a problem for this evening, okay, and then we'll get to the real part of the show. So Demanse knows this, the audience doesn't uh. For our vacation a week and a a couple of weeks ago, one day we rented a jet ski at our house on like the sound in Turks and everyone's taking turns riding it. And then I took Diane out on it. We went all the way down the sound out into the ocean, came back and we're gonna do another lap. I'm not exactly the sea snake from House of Dragons. I don't really know the tides and an area that was totally fine for me to ride through thirty minutes prior that sea levels had changed whatever, And all of a sudden, I am at the end of this sound, not in view of the house, probably a quarter mile from shore, marooned basically on the beach because where it used to be water no longer is water. Deanna's with me. I but I can see like five feet from where I'm marooned. The water is deep enough, so I and is a big jet ski. It's like a big two person jet ski. I'm like, all right, I gotta push this thing into the deeper water, not recognizing the tide is going lower and the tide the water where I think it's deep enough. By the time I get it there, it won't be deep enough. I don't realize this until thirty minutes of pushing, pulling, trying to move this jet ski, which is basically now just on the land. Deanna the water is now ankle deep for her. She is just floating on her back, having a good time. I just hit my head on the wall and I am I'm now scared, not of drowning, but of passing out. It's one hundred degrees. I've been pushing this thing. I have no phone, I have no water. What I do have is I can see in the horizon a man painting a house, and I'm like, I've got to get to this guy because I'm cooked. Like there's on the other side of the horizon there have been people riding jet skis. I've yelled to him, no chance. I thought maybe someone at the house would be like, hmm, they've been gone a long time. Instead, as it turns out, your mom and her sisters were making TikTok and Instagram videos and I am just cooked, literally and figuratively. I get over to the shore. It's now been forty five minutes, thirty five of pushing pulling this jet ski, ten of getting to the shore carrying Deanna, and by the time I get there, I'm so near death. I can't remember your mom's phone number. I can't remember a number. I'm like, do you have a phone? He said yes. It's like, do you have WhatsApp? He says, yes, what's the number? And I gave him the first three Your I won't say your phone number, obviously, but you're a nine one three number. Your mom's an eight one six number. I gave him your nine, one, three, and then your mom's number. He's like, no answer. He's like, this doesn't work. This is fine. I'm like, all right, I gotta get in some shade. I have to rally here for a moment. So obviously I survived. We got a hold of Danielle. I then had to walk on this gravel road to the street where she and the guy who rented me the jet ski came. He and I then walked back out to the jet ski and he's like, we're gonna try to push it. As soon as he got out there, this nice man, he's like, jet skis jet ski not moving. He's like, it's not gonna move until midnight when the tides come up, So with it. That was so. The reason I'm telling that story is this I have since that moment. I think I either slipped a disc or did something in my back trying to push this stupid jet ski. Why am I telling you the story today because in eight hours I auditioned to be the US Open ball boy. That's why my big moment might be ruined by my nautical noviceness. I'm still walking with a limp. Meanwhile, Mark Carmon, who great Chicago broadcaster, flew into interview to audition for the US Open with me. He this morning I see him. He has two tennis rackets exercise bands. He is regripping rackets and stretching. Meanwhile, I can't walk without a limp. So that's happening at Arthur Ash in about eight hours. So I got a rally, man, I really have to rally.
Speaker 3: Got a little bit string training in. I know what you need is probably agility here.
Speaker 2: But yeah, no, you're maybe, But I am. I was. I was walking your sister to rent a city bike the other day and she was like, why are you walking with a limp? I'm like, I don't know. Man like my like. So we'll see how this goes. Okay, Now, no better way to start the two hundred and fiftieth episode than the you know my own failures of athleticism. Here's what missed the cut the Miami Heat when the Summer League title, Travis Kelcey has brought back the training camp Stash and demonse. I am. I not only have I gotten Syracuse to back to back college football playoffs in the new College Football video game, but I had a dream about my recruiting class last night. Woke up this morning and started playing again, and your mom came downstairs and had such a look of disgust and disdain.
Speaker 4: As what I do? Like what four or five?
Speaker 2: Like six in the morning, I'm and I am so hooked back hooked, demonse. I've played legitimately fifteen hours of the new college football video game. I haven't played the game. All I have done is recruit players, hire and fire coaches, build a schedule. Doora came in the room. Doora came in the room, watched me for like ten minutes, and she was like, oh, so this is just a role play. I'm like, it's not a role play. She was like, yes, it is. She was like, are these at least actually real people. I'm like, no, we're the twenty twenty nine season. They're just make believe. She was like, well, how do you know if they're good? I'm like, they're ratings and she was like, when do you play. I'm like, I'm not gonna play. I have to that. Sully's the recruiting process. I'm just recruiting and simulating the games. And by the way, I built Syracuse into a national power and we won two ACC championship back to back college football playoffs. Last year, though we went seven and five. It was a disastrous season and the defensive coordinator paid with his job. Okay, okay, in the chat, let us know some of your favorite moments from the first two hundred of AFY the episode and we'll read some of those best answers later and now to the actual show. Demon's a go ahead.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so Team USA needed every drop of Lebron's game high twenty points versus Germany. He's also a crucial part in their close win against South Sudan. Bronze teammates have called him the key to victory and it was very surprising coming from Edwards. But I know Lebron's a guy, but isn't kind of concerning that he's the number one guy for Team USA at this moment being thirty nine.
Speaker 2: You know what, I'm not trying to sound unpatriotic, but I don't really. I mean, I care more about Lebron's legacy than Team USA. And for Lebron's legacy, this is unbelievable. Guys, He's the best player on the Olympic team. It's I said that on TV yesterday before the Germany game happened. Since these Olympics have started, the players themselves voted who's the best player. No one got more than two votes, except for Lebron, who got five. They've had two close games. He won them both for them, and they made him the first basketball male basketball player ever to be a flag bearer. This it is so I understand that no, you know, mj probably would have bet on who would have won the you know who would have finished crossed the finish line.
Speaker 4: First.
Speaker 2: Here's the thing. Uh, the the by the way, Mark Carmon's here at Trenti's just really not doing well. He's the biggest Michael Jordan guy in the world. He's not doing well hearing all this, here's the deal. Uh. I actually think Lebron's age has worked against him narratively more than it has skill wise basketball wise. This past year he was second team All NBA caliber guy and he wasn't really even considered for it. And the only reason people would give you other than the Lakers record, which like Kevin Durant made it, Kawhi Leonard made it. Kawai's team I guess had a slightly better record, but was h I mean the guys in year twenty one, the guy's almost forty years old. Going into these Olympics. There were smart people debating whether or not he should start and whether or not you know, this was just a lifetime achievement the way it kind of is for Diana Tarazzi on the women's side. Instead, he's the best player. And if you were to ask me under this context, de monse full health rested, is there an American basketball player that I think is better than Lebron James on this team or otherwise? The answer is no, this one. I don't this moment, I don't think there's an I don't. So here's the thing. If you want to say, in the rankings of players, right, and I know Shay's not an American, but will include him, take out the Big three, Jannis Jokic, Luka, take those three guys out, Okay, any other player in the league. If you want to say, well, because Lebron can't do it eighty nights a year because of his age, because he's more of an injury risk than some of these guys because of his age, I am going to have Jalen Brunson above Lebron on my player hierarchy. Fine, I'll agree, disagree whatever, I'll listen to it. That's a separate question. If the question is this, we've got three games in the next ten days, I'm guaranteeing you health for everyone involved other than the Big Three Jokic, Luka Yannis, of every basketball player alive, who is your top draft pick? The fact that the answer to that question might very well be Lebron James at age thirty nine headed into year twenty two is so incomprehensible. Folks don't even want to acknowledge that that's what's happening. How can anyone art like, we are watching Lebron on a team with Jason Tatum. Does anyone actually think Tatum better at basketball? If they're both healthy. We're watching him on a team with Steph Curry. You know who doesn't think Steph Curry's better than Lebron Steph Curry. We're watching him on a team with Anthony Edwards. You know who thinks the best player on that team is Lebron James, Anthony Edwards. The only guy who seems to have real questions about it is Joel Embiid. But these insane quotes he's given out when Embiid's right now should lose his starting spot to Anthony Davis, who has probably been the second best player on team. Embiids had some wild quotes Joelle embiiding of throughout the Sons. So this is uh so I'm gonna read it to you exactly. You look at the talent the US has, but there's equal talent on other teams, and the talent that's on the US team, you gotta understand, most of those guys are older. The Lebron now is not the Lebron that was a couple of years ago. So it's a big difference. Everybody would also tell you. You can see for yourself the athletic Lebron dominant that he was a couple of years ago. It's not the same as he is now. I think people get fooled by names on paper, but those names have been built throughout their career, and now they're older, they're not what they used to be. A wild quote to give four days ago to the New York Times about your teammate.
Speaker 3: That is I think that I also could have been coming from the angle if he did go deep into Lebron's age, but coming from the angle of like these games being close, and everybody thinks the USA should be blowing teams out.
Speaker 4: It's like, hey, but this.
Speaker 2: Is he said this before the games were He said this before any of the close games happened, And like the I listen, I like him be That's a wild quote to give about a teammate, flatly, like that quote can work at any other time. I know, but I just don't. It is truly unreal that Lebron is the best player on Team USA at this point, at this stage of his career, at this stage, at this age, and again I don't think it is. If you want to say Lebron is the tenth best player in the league when you incorporate injury risk, availability, that all of that. I understand the argument. But the flip side of that argument is if we're just saying best at best we've got for a game or for a few games, and the criteria is we're giving you everyone in the world at full strength, fully healthy, at their best under those parameters. I don't think at this moment, Shaye Tatum and any of that, any of those guys Steph Durrant are better than Lebron still, and if they are going to win the gold. He's gonna have to be excellent.
Speaker 4: Go ahead.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I was gonna say, I know you're a big Lebron guy, but like, does that not you're not worried about him being the best player? Like what does that say about the talent that's going to be left in the NBA?
Speaker 2: Oh well, listen that or what the Olympic team's gonna look like in four years when when Lebron, Steph kd KT hadn't played yet. But Katie Rue, who's been important when all those guys are gone. Yeah, the rights of the world's coming. It's why they need to win this gold. And right now, they'd have just lost back to back games to South Sudan and Germany if Lebron didn't save their asses. It's remarkable. All right, let's talk chiefs quickly.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so Mahomes and the rookie Xavier Worthy clearly have a nice connection. I think we're going to show a replay of that that air ball, that moonball.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean where he rolls to his left. This is an insane throw, rolls to his left, flipped his hips fifty five yards in the air bank.
Speaker 4: Go ahead.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So obviously Kansas City is prioritizing the speedster wide receiver, as they spent their first draft pick on them. But we know the Chiefs tend to play in games that get cold and you need like those bigger wide receivers. So do you think the Chiefs might be setting up aging Travis Kelcey for a meaty end of season or second half?
Speaker 4: Now?
Speaker 2: So, I don't buy that on now aalysis, I don't buy that when the when when it's cold, speed doesn't play. I don't buy that. I disagree with that. It didn't play for the Dolphins because the Dolphins were the Dolphins don't play well in the cold. The it wasn't exactly ballmy in the famous bill get cold Sick again? Yet No, no, I I guess. But I the when it's bad conditions. To me, that favors speed on offense because you know where you're going the like if it's snowy out, the defense has to react plant you know where you're going. Also, Rashi Rice is an over the middle receiver and nobody. I again, I'm not in charge. I'm not in the league office. Guys, send your complaints elsewhere. But I said it last week. I'll say it again. I don't think he's getting suspended this year. You can say that's ridicul you can say it's outrageous, whatever it is. I do think he's eventually getting suspended. But if they were gonna suspend him before the legal process played out, they'd already done it. The fact that they haven't makes me think that they are waiting to see how the legal process plays out, and that's not gonna happen until after this season. And so no, I mean here is now as far as size the the producers, you know, remind me that justin Ross's case, he's only receiver over six ' to two that they don't have like a big body receiver except for Kelsey. That's a listen, it's not a perfectly built receiver room what it does though, here's the thing. And by the way, Xavier Worthy missed a lot of mini camp with a hamstring and now has missed the last two training camp practices with an illness. Uh, and so he's got to be able to be out there. But if he's out there, he just makes things so much easier for everyone else because there will be fewer even if he never touches the ball, just by being on the field, you have safeties over the top down the field, which is the first year without Tyree Kill. The Chiefs crushed everyone and scored the most points in the league dnking and dunking and throwing the running backs and tight ends. Last year. That kind of got the water cut off on it because nobody was afraid of the Chiefs down the field. This year, with Hollywood and Xavier, you're gonna have to have guys deep down the field as far as safeties. It's gonna open things what It's gonna really open things up for everybody else and that listen. I am Mahomes is excited about this. I am crazy excited about it, and he wants to remind everyone he has the best arm in the NFL. And I think that's what he's gonna be able to do with either of these guys, much less both of them. And I think Rashi is an excellent player off the field. Stuff is a separate issue. On the field. He is an excellent player who had damn near one thousand yards as a rookie, and now he's going to be your featured top receiver, all right, next.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So John Harbaugh came out and said that he and Lamar Jackson have a joint vision and Lamar is going to be known as the goat quarterback. So these some crazy standards to put on Lamar's crazy pressure to put on Lamar's shoulders, considering the pressure he already has. So you go ahead and answer why would he do this? And I remember that you know you're on egg shows with Lamar Jackson, so be easy with it.
Speaker 2: Okay, Well, first of all, did you see Lamar's training camp update yesterday?
Speaker 4: Yeah? I did.
Speaker 2: What was it?
Speaker 4: He's gotta does he have COVID? I know he's.
Speaker 2: I mean, I don't know. I mean the guy, the guy that somebody tweeted and it was a great tweet that Lamar has the immune system of a Victorian era child. And I mean, that's maybe a little harsh, but my guy gets sick a lot like he is. He is the sickliest of any quarterback I've ever seen. Every year when the weather gets cold, he's sick every year. And now the weather's not even cold, any's sick. I don't even know, man, my guy just it just gets sick. I don't know what it is. So here's here's the thing about the greatest quarterback ever, that that is not on the board for him anymore. So let me give an analogy here, Demond, do you know who Cooper Flag is? Y? Have you heard that name? The number one high school player in the country. He's about to go to DAI. Cooper Flag may never be as good as let me pick somebody, Trey Young. Okay, However, on the board of possible possibilities, for Cooper Flag is greatest player ever, everything is on the board for him. For Trey Young, greatest player ever is not on the board anymore, even though he's better than Cooper Flag might ever be. Does what I'm saying make sense? Like some guys, if you've been in the league five years, your ceiling, we know there is a realistic outcome of floor sealing all of it. So the point that I the reason I bring that up is this, Jayden Daniels, who I don't even know that I think is gonna be good, has a better chance of being the greatest quarterback ever than Lamar because it's possible for every quarterback currently playing, except for I suppose two, it's impossible for them to be the greatest ever.
Speaker 4: But Apex Lamar Jackson.
Speaker 3: Though you've seen that and what do you think that is?
Speaker 4: Is that not.
Speaker 2: Greatest?
Speaker 3: Definitely a top like that's a number one quarterback. I feel like Lamar playing at his concursions.
Speaker 2: Okay, oh well number two maybe, but yeah, but yes, it's a Hall of Famer. It's one of the one of the greatest ever. But the point that I'm making, like if it, if it makes sense, is that there is there are two guys currently playing that really just one in mahomes, but all include Rogers because Rogers has the four m vps and a super Bowl. If Rogers all of a sudden one played three more years and won three straight Super Bowls with the Jets, some folks would be like, he's the greatest quarterback ever. If the there is the goat stuff for Lamar is obviously not possible. The but being one of the ten greatest quarterbacks ever is available to him because he has two MVPs already. He has the all time high winning percentage and two MVPs already, so he has so Hardball overstated it. The the the issue for Lamar that we are now more than a half decade into is every single year, his worst game of the year is the playoff game. They lose, and so it's not just here's the thing. It's not just like, oh, the guy doesn't have a ring. It's no, it's every single year in the postseason he has a terrible game. That's a killer. And so I'm not saying he won't ever get over that. What I am saying is the trend at this point is undeniable. And now there are two guys like Josh Allen and Lamar. Both have a strong case they're the second best quarterback in the league, and both have a massive yeah but about them. For Josh, he's not able to be consistent over the course of the entirety of a regular season because of that. They never have the bye, they never have home field. They're always playing these brutal round two games, like we don't have the fourteen and three number one seed by play the Jags in Round two like Mahomes had a couple of years ago. That doesn't That doesn't exist for Josh Allen. Yet for Lamar it's the opposite. Lamar has those years they do get the one seed, they do have the good path, he wins MVP, and then all of a sudden, he's awful in the postseason. So I think that right now the Ravens roster is slightly overvalued. But I also think that there's one other thing that's working against Lamar, right or wrong. The current crop of quarterbacks is judged versus Patrick. What's Josh's problem? Can't beat Patrick in the playoffs? Why is Burrow still considered by many the second best quarterback in the league. He beat Patrick that one time in the playoffs. People are super high on CJ. Stroud. One of the reasons Patrick hadn't beaten him yet. They haven't played yet, like there's for Lamar. They've played the Chiefs five times, or he's played Patrick five times one and four, including a home AFC Championship game. That's why that Week one game for the Ravens against the Chiefs is such a huge spot for them, such a huge spot. Go ahead.
Speaker 4: I'm very I'm very intrigued.
Speaker 3: You don't seem to be convinced that the Ravens could pull out the dub I know you thought that was really bad for the Ravens to have that in the first game, But I think it'll be great. I mean, especially saying that with the Chiefs in the first game is hilarious.
Speaker 2: I mean listen and hardball was you saw why he's such like a motivational force and all of that, and it was a great quote, and God bless him. But uh, and I do think he loves Lamar. I do think he loves Lamar. And Lamar's obviously a great player. I did my quarterback pyramid last year at the end of the regular season. I had let me see where I had it. Hold on, let me see if I can find my quarterback pyramid tears in Mahomes Mountain.
Speaker 4: Had him somewhere.
Speaker 2: Oh, I know he was. There's no question was on there. All time, all time tiers, all time Mountain. Here we go. So I had I had him like in the fifteen to twenty range of all time quarterbacks. I had him on the same tier as Drew Brees, Troy Aikman, Kurt Warner, and Steve Young because he has two MVPs. But like he he and if he wins a Super Bowl or just has one great postseason run, even if they come up short in the Super Bowl, but he plays well, you start having like a real Lamar versus Brett Favre conversation. You start having those. But he's got to go in the playoff run. He's got two all right, last thing up.
Speaker 3: He'll do it his whole knot of practices until he reaches a contract extension. Love achieved a little bit last year. He's got one season of the books, but they might give him twenty percent of that cap. I mean, he saw Trevor Lawrence get his money with accomplishing little to nothing. Other big contracts have famously backfires.
Speaker 2: Jordan one excellent season, one playoff win. So let's just chill you. He's accomplished the same as Jordan. Now he's had more time to accomplish it, but he's well, okay.
Speaker 4: If that's if.
Speaker 3: If he's accomplished the same as Trevor, it's both little accomplishments for all the money that they're seeking.
Speaker 4: I mean, no, that's fair.
Speaker 2: He's also, by the way, Trevor's twenty four, Jordan's about turn twenty six. But go ahead, it doesn't matter, just the.
Speaker 4: Fact, all right, fair enough.
Speaker 3: So the big contracts that backfired Daniel Jones and Kyler obviously. Do you think there's going to be a market correction with the quarterback contract soon?
Speaker 2: No? And I do think that Trevor's contract put the Packers and the Dolphin in a really rough spot, because it'd be one thing to be like, we're not you haven't accomplished what Joe Burrow did. We're not giving you that. But when Trevor gets five for two seventy five, all those guys get to be like, to I hadn't won a playoff game yet, but TWU has had more good seasons than Trevor's had, Jordan Love has won a playoff game. They all get to be like, that's what Trevor Lawrence got, That's what I want. And I listen you. You were early on Jordan Love, and thus far you've been correct on Jordan Love. I'd be nervous to pay Jordan Love that much money off this small of a sample, but they got it's just a weird spot because he didn't play for all those years. So the contract's up, you know what I mean. Like, it's not it's not simple, but this would be a tiny sample. Ten good games is what we're talking about.
Speaker 3: But yeah, I will admit that it is a it is a small sample. Yeah, I hope that he can settle with something.
Speaker 2: But so he's gonna get fifty five million dollars, I'm just telling you all of those guys are going to get what Trevor got, Like, this is not a Trevor Lawrence conversation as far as the prince that was promised, you know my affection for the guy. This is just a cap agent, realistic conversation. None of those guys are going to take significantly, if anything, less than what Trevor got. And so those teams are like, you gotta be kidding me, I'm gonna make this type of commitment to Jordan Love off ten games. The Dolphins are like, we don't even know if we think two is that could and we're gonna pay him that. But the answer is that that that's what Jordan's not gonna practice till he gets his deal. My guess is by Friday, Jordan Love has a five year, two hundred and seventy seven point five million dollar contract, that's my guess. And they're just gonna keep their fingers crossed in hope that he's excellent. All right, a very special UH public defender, and I'm told there's some pride, some surprises to celebrate UH our two hundred and fiftieth episode. All that's next, very quick break right back, what's right welcome back in What's Right with the Great Episode two hundred and fifty. In this episode of What's Right with the Grit is brought to you by Huggy's Skin Essentials. New parents changing diapers all the time. My kids are past that age, but I still remember what it was like. So he's great, and it's made harder with surprises like diaper rash that can be uncomfortable for kids and stressful for parents. However, babies can now rejoice Hugy Huggy's Skin Essentials or hear a brand new dermatile just prove line of diapers, wipes and pull ups training pants, all designed with baby's sensitive skin in mind. The skin Essentials diapers feature the skin protect liner and help protect against the top two causes of rash by managing moisture and running mess. The wipes are thick, have zero RS ingredients for a great, gentle clean pull up. Skin Essentials has got your big kid covered two with a training pant. It's ultrasoft and breatheable to help protect sensitive skin throughout potty training. Learn more at Huggies dot com. Again, head to Huggies dot com to learn more. All right, so two hundred and fifty demands. This is episode two fifty. Uh, and I'll let you take it away from here.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So two hundred and fifty episodes in, and you've gotten a lot right while impressing many people. So let's take a listen to what some of them have to say.
Speaker 5: I hear it is the two hundred and fiftieth episode of What's Right. I always thought he could have been called What's Wrong? But Nick's right. Occasionally you do occasionally get some things right.
Speaker 2: I don't know how many things you actually get right.
Speaker 6: Yeah, totally, he's right all the.
Speaker 5: Time, so many bold takes, so many things that were out there, so much stuff that I was like.
Speaker 2: Wow, he's really going out on a limb.
Speaker 5: I liked the one where he said the Kansas City Chiefs were going to win the Super Bowl and then they did, and I was like, how.
Speaker 4: Did he come up with it?
Speaker 5: Is it? Because he's from there and a huge fan, and they got the best coach in the best quarterback and they were the favorites that might have been it, but he got it right. And then he got a tattoo, and he was so right about the favorites winning the Super Bowl. It was impressive.
Speaker 2: I really don't even give him credit for being right on the chiefs.
Speaker 5: I mean, you just happen to be born in Kansas City.
Speaker 6: Dude. Relax, all right, but one thing for sure is you get right is your fashion and that is because.
Speaker 7: Of my best seed, Danielle, which you also very much get right.
Speaker 6: One thing that he was right about was when I was about seven years old, he asked me if I wanted to be in a play, and I was asso scated that I get made fun of at school. My dad told me never to care about what other people think. Just think about what I will enjoy. And now I'm nineteen years old and I'm a theater major in college and I plan to do it for the rest of my life.
Speaker 5: Here's the two hundred and fifty more, twenty five hundred more, twenty five thousand more.
Speaker 7: Congratulations man, great podcast.
Speaker 4: Congrats on two hundred and fifty episodes.
Speaker 1: Congrats on crushing it on the show, and.
Speaker 4: Celebrate big moment.
Speaker 7: Meanwhile, two hundred and fifty episodes. Trying to be a good teammate. I've been binge watching all night. I'm at one seventeen. Lakers just made the playoffs, so don't spoil it. I gotta get back to it, see you later.
Speaker 2: Well, I was wondering. I was wondering whether or out Wilde was going to participate. That's really well done. I enjoyed that. I also did not remember that your sister said, I'm also gonna really embarrass Yeah, I'm really gonna embarrass you. Or if people were like where what where did you record that from? She naps in her bathtub? That was that you saw? That was like she has like a big comforter and pillows, Like she doesn't use her bathtub as a bathtub. She uses it as like a place she naps. So that's where that video was taking. Yeah, yeah, I mean that I didn't know. I mean that's you. That's where that was. When I saw the background, I was like, where is she in the house? And then I realized, okay, so uh so sorry my phone drinking?
Speaker 4: All right.
Speaker 2: So if you want to say something you can't.
Speaker 3: It's it's it's been a journey. It's it's really cool to be able to do this with you, pops. And just honestly, I don't want to say in pres but I just find it to be a thrill to come in here and try to do this each time.
Speaker 4: Because I mean, I'm still terrified.
Speaker 3: But it's been a journey and it's just been cool to you know, I can't believe that I started this in the heat of football season, like knowing the little knowledge I had about football at the time.
Speaker 4: But nonetheless, it's been a journey.
Speaker 3: It's been a cool thing to work with the producers and meet all these folks and all the people along the way.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, it's been it's been great. I agree, and I've had you know, I've had a wonderful time and we keep it going. And also if you guys want to chime in the chat, feel free. All right, let's play some public defender to Monday.
Speaker 3: So the opening ceremonies for the Paris Olympics for Friday, someone may see table tennis or trampoline in question if it's really a sport. You know who doesn't, Nick Wright, the public defender counselor Today you will be defending obscure sports in the Olympics. First up, you'll get the pick of client between three current Spurts and the Olympics. Your job is to make the case for why your client is in fact a sport and should not be mocked. Your choices are racewalking, breaking or break dancing or dressage counselors the case.
Speaker 4: After you chose, choose who you will defit.
Speaker 2: All right, so this is very easy. I'm going to defend racewalking because obviously this is a sport. It's actually a sport most of us participated in at a very young age without even knowing it. You might be like, what, because, so let me just explain the rules of racewalking. Are you want to go as fast as you can, but the way they define it is one foot has to be touching the ground at all times. So when you run, there's times when both feet are in the air. When you're walking, there's always one foot on the ground. So you do it as fast as possible. And you might say, no, I never did that. I don't know that, and I'm gonna say you're wrong. You know how I know? Here's how I know. Think back, you're a little kid. You're at a public pool, trying to get from one place to another. You start to jog and quick whistle, no running. What do you find yourself doing? Do you all of a sudden just slow down? Do you just start a leisurely strolled No, you don't. You know what you're doing in that time before, even though you didn't know you were doing it, you were racewalking. Oh I'm not running. I'm not running, I'm walking. But you're walking as fast as you can. It is something that millions of people have trained for since they were little kids, and now the best in the world compete at it. It takes endurance, it takes focus, it takes attention to detail. Don't tell me that racewalking isn't a sport, but the two hundred meter butterfly is. Like nobody everybody just you know, is in the pocket of big swimming and is fine with all of these different type of strokes that no one actually uses when they're regularly swimming. You get a gold medal for nobody has a problem with that. But I guarantee you, without a shadow of a doubt, more Americans or people worldwide in the last year, certainly in their lifetime, have found themselves simulating racewalking. Then they have simulated you know, uh, the free style back stroke and those different the backstroke in the pool. And even if you're like, no, the backstrokes one of the more popular ones. Okay, I'll go back to the butterfly. When's the last time you were you were swimming and you're like, you know what, I'm gonna break out the butterfly here in proper form. The answer is never so obviously racewalk. The butterfly, I think, is like this one where like you do like almost like a little like frog like up and down. That's the butterfly. Well, they always have the caps on any of them. And then there's also on what are what are swimming strokes? Eight different types of swimming and strokes from swim gym free style. We all know that one backstroke, we all know that one breaststroke, the breaststroke is this now the breaststroke people do. The breaststroke people do, so the butterfly is actually this one. It's like I'm gonna do it wrong, but it's really it's an advanced stimming stroke, but it's an excellent workout. Nobody does it. Side stroke. These are give me give me a break hold on. I think we have we we didn't lock the door. I think there's a little controversy at the the door of the store. Luckily KRMS here protect us, all right.
Speaker 3: Next, uh, So next you once again picked between three clients. This time though the sports will be events from the nineteen hundred parent Paris Olympics that were eliminated from the games. Your job is to defend that sports right to return to the Olympics. And your choices are ballooning, horse long and high jump or poodle climping, poodle clipping, counselor who you defend.
Speaker 2: I'm obviously gonna defend the horse long and high jump. I mean, there's no there's I mean, that seems I'll be honest, I don't remember that event, but that seems awesome. Ballooning is about tech and about your you know, sophistication of your materials. Poodle clipping is ridiculous. Horse jumping sounds dope and and I know, listen, I don't want to get on the wrong side of peta. And I don't know. I'm sure there's gonna be some folks that like, actually the animal. Here's the thing. Those I am confident knowing nothing. I am still confident in this. And by the way, let me explain what horse jumping was was riders had their horses compete in jumping. The winner of the horse long jump leapt six feet six point one meters and the gold for the horse high jumped reached one point eight meters. Here's the thing. I guarantee those horses were treated like gods. Those horses, I guarantee had amazing training at the Olympic level, great food, they were treated great. They're not like the poor horses that are gally, you know, trotting around Central Park looking like the saddest animals in the world. Like, that's a different story. I'm sure the Olympic horse jumping horses were in pretty We're in pretty different decent shape. So I think that would have been a dope event. And I like that e it a lot, Uh real quick, because I think that's our last am I wrong. I think that's our last public defender.
Speaker 4: We've got a bonus bonus topic.
Speaker 3: And here if you can, if you could include any event in the Olympics, what would it be?
Speaker 4: Competitive?
Speaker 3: Gambling, sports, debate, video games, other.
Speaker 2: If I could add an event to the Olympics, Uh, listen, I'm gonna know that that would be too self serving. I'm gonna and I'm gonna try to keep with an athleticism thing. I I'm gonna once again go to something that millions of people have done. It would be captivating television and it would the cool thing about it. It would be a true test of endurance. And it could start basically at the opening ceremonies and end probably right around the time of the closing ceremonies. And that is keep the balloon in the air. You get a team, you figure out a plan, and there are rules of how far the balloon has to travel and how high in the air. And it might be like, hey, guys, we're on day eleven. You just really want the gold, you better keep it in the air. I think that would be great. And just like every time there's like a break in one of the events, like a live look in at the keep the Balloon in the Air arena, and all of a sudden, it's these guys just exhausted hitting it. You're I'm telling you that, I just I didn't even know that was gonna be a question. I just I just thought of it. But keep the balloon in the air. That's what I that's my answer, that's what I would go with.
Speaker 3: Wait, but yeah, honestly, you're Olympic sport. But I do see people like there are videos of it. People are like really doing it competitively, like there's obstacles.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly, That's what I'm saying. That would it would be dope. People would absolutely care the We would have so much room for more Olympic events if we again, if someone had the courage to stare big swimming in the face and say freestyle and backstroke, that's all you get, and you don't get a fifty one hund two hundred and four hundred and eight hundred. You don't get too much. Instead, there's all the like the the swimming is is disproportionately awarded in medals. You guys know how I feel about this. Everyone's like, who's the greatest Olympian ever? They're like Mark Spitz and now it's Michael Phelps. Amazing, they're both swimmers. It's like, nah, man, I promise you if you're saying bold. If they were like, hey, guess what exact same race except you do it sidestepping and then exact same race, should do it running back words, he'd win those golds too, But he just didn't have as many opportunities to win golds as the swimmers. It's not fair. Quick break reads your questions Next What's right? All right, welcome back in What's right with Nick? Right before we get to the questions, Daniel asked during the break, what my issue was swimming is? I don't have an issue with swimming I just think that people are, you know, afraid to take on big swimming at times. And I'm gonna tell you another another. So if people remember the O eight Olympic Games in China, weird things were happening.
Speaker 4: So this is.
Speaker 2: This is an article from August of two thousand and eight. Today must have been an off day for the Beijing water cube. Only two world records broken this morning. Yesterday, six world records were broken in five races, meaning there was a race in that Olympics where the guy or woman who came in second in the race broke the world record, only to be beaten by the person who came in first. The first four days of the Olympics, sixteen world records were broken. And if you remember, the theory everyone had is the suits. They're like, oh my god, the suits are all it's these Nikes suits that are doing it. I have a much more simpler theory. The pool is too short, and everyone thinks that's dumb, but I deep down know I'm right. So here's the setup. You're in China. It is an autocratic state known to jail or kill dissidents at times. You have been charged. You have been charged with setting up what is the crown jewel of the Olympics. They're calling it the water cube, the pool. Everything's perfect, it's all set up, the cement's been poured, we're ready to go. And the pool, which is supposed to be fifty meters long, is forty nine point nine to six. You've screwed up because you forgot to incorporate. Oh my god, once we do the paint and the lacquer and the extra paint whatever, it takes off some of the length, what are we gonna do? And the answer is tell no one and start a rumor about the suits being super fast because records are going down, boys, and that's what happened. You can't convince me that's not what happened. I watched those Olympics, every every race, who's like, oh, world record page, world record pace, and a lot of those records then stood through the next Olympics and everyone's like, oh, the suits, wasn't the suits and so uh so again like the people feel free to go ahead and look into it, but the the you know it just and by the way, I want to say one other thing about uh hold, let me let me see this real quick. So again as of the well, I'm not going to get into it further. People aren't worried about it right now. But the Olympics are coming up, and I guarantee what I here's what you're not gonna see in these Olympics. Multiple races where someone sets a world record and doesn't win the race. That's pretty rare. Who's happening left and right in the swimming pool and at the eight Olympic Games. All right, demons, let's go through some of these listener questions.
Speaker 3: Tory Spears says, Nick's breakdown of Lebron versus Jordan Coat debate is my favorite moment. I use that video all the time for proof.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, oh well, thank you listen. I there are certain things that take on like a viral life of their own that that I'm like, sometimes when I do it, I know what's gonna happen. Sometimes when I don't know what's gonna happen. Uh. And then people you know who have never watched the show. Never even watched the pod, but have seen the viral video, will see me and say something about it, and that video is one of them.
Speaker 4: All right, go ahead, a clip is storm storm Born. I love you guys.
Speaker 3: My favorite moment of these first two hundred and fifty episodes is the inception story.
Speaker 2: Oh an embarrassing. I probably shouldn't have I probably shouldn't have admitted to that on the air. All right, let's keep rolling.
Speaker 3: Craig Barnett said peak moment was Demonse's dinosaur denial.
Speaker 4: I was fake.
Speaker 2: So that was when Demand was brand new to the pod and was I think trying to be funny and still a little bit gets like the weird feeling in his stomach when someone brings it up, because I feel like Demanse feels like people think he's dumb because of it. When he was trying to be like, trying to be funny and didn't deliver it. You delivered it too credibly, like you were so deadpan about not being sure about dinosaurs, and we live in a time where a lot of people are not sure about anything that they were like, oh, Demand is one of those, so that's kind of haunted you video. Yeah, exactly right.
Speaker 3: All right, Uh so we got Mike ce favorite moment is every episode that Nick gets fired up. I love the segments. I love you being so latable.
Speaker 4: Thank you.
Speaker 2: Oh that's so much, thank you, Mike. And will Kick two says, my favorite episodes are the ones with your wife and father in law. That's actually her grandfather, so that the so that is the man you guys have seen on here a couple of times. Is not my wife's dad. That's my wife's grandfather who turned or is about to turn ninety four, turns ninety four here in a few weeks. All right, let's go to Ramer eighty four.
Speaker 3: Demonse Ramer eighty four said, this pot is great. I am British, live in England, but I'm a big NFL Broncos fan. The growth of demons on here, the family interactions or the highlights the chiefs winning is the low light, smiley face.
Speaker 2: Oh, by the way, Andrew Meyer says, the Beijing pool was the first pool three deep at the Olympics, which creates less water disturbance and faster times. Go ahead and believe that if you want, I'm gonna go ahead with Okham's razor. The simplest explanations. Probably the right one pool was a couple inches too short, and in races where hundreds of second, hundredths of seconds determine world records, the pool is too short. I'll believe that till the day I die. And by the way, here's here's all i'd ask. Here's all i'd ask. It's still there. Someone go, as president g if if you can stop by with a measuring tape, that's what i'd like. I'd like a measuring tape and somebody to go show me. That's all I'm I'm down for evidence. But for some reason, I'm not sure if you have access to that part of the old water cube. I'm just curious. ID his questions just questions that I think weren't asking. What's chasing Felix.
Speaker 3: Say best podcast moment, Nick's story about his summer internship where he spent months being George kin Stanza and doing nothing but wandering the building.
Speaker 2: Yeah that was great. That was an old timer, man. It's the only office job I've ever had. An internship at Sprint when I was nineteen years old. Three days into it, my boss got laid off and I never got reassigned, and I just came in and read Bill Simmons columns and took naps in the This is I shouldn't have done this again. I was a teenager. I apologize, but they had a couple of rooms downstairs that I didn't know. I honest to God, just an idiot teenager. I didn't know what nursing room went meant. I was like, why nurse. I just thought it was like like for little kids, like, but there was just a room with a chair. There were three of them, and back to back to back there were dark rooms with a chair. But now I know obviously it was for mothers that were you know, that were just nursing. And I would just go in there and sleep and go to the movies, come back, clock out. And with like a week left in the internship, I got email like you've been assigned to me, and I'm like, well, my summer's over, so thank you. And so I did whatever I was asked to do. It's not my fault they fired my boss. Yeah you think I did. Ye. I did an internship at Sprint for the experience.
Speaker 4: Like what.
Speaker 2: Nick Wright muse fave episode was when you was yours first time coasting with Nick. That's very nice. Um, what does Dusty say? Demise?
Speaker 3: Dusty said, question, are we going to get a weekly in CUAA twenty five minute twenty five minute from twenty five minutes from Nick updating the Syracuse Dynasty status, much like the F one segment.
Speaker 2: Well, no, listen, here's the deal. I need to actually close the deal and win a national championship at Syracuse, and then my coach needs to be offered his dream job, which is the head coach University of Southern California. Those two things happen. Once that happens, I will actually play the game until I am not allowing myself to actually play a game until I build a champion. And I've come close again. We've made the College Football Playoff twice. But it's a big you know, a lot to do.
Speaker 3: I think you should what I don't know. I mean you're talking streaming or you I mean, I don't know.
Speaker 4: I think you should.
Speaker 3: I think you play the game if you not played a single exhibition game. No, yeah, that's that's really I.
Speaker 2: Just started dynasties. I took over Syracuse and I'm building a program. That's what I'm doing. That's what I'm saying I'm recruiting players and I'm building a program. I also, oddly have am way oversaturated at the tight end position. I have like six tight ends that are eighty two or better, but you can't get them all on the field. Old guys are getting a little annoyed in me about playing time. Also, sometimes these guys threatened to transfer, and I lie to him. I'm like, I'm like, I'll change my playing style, but I don't.
Speaker 4: Like you get pop ups from the thing.
Speaker 2: Like at the end of the year. It's like this guy, this guy's gonna transfer, and it's like, why are you gonna transfer? It's like playing time or playing style. And to try to convince him to stay. There was one guy. There was a quarterback this I feel I felt badly about this to this fake guy. This guy was a junior going into his junior year. He was like an eighty six overall quarterback and he hadn't played because there was a senior ahead of him, and he threatened to transfer. But I really had to convince him to stay because the senior was graduating and this guy was ready. So I convinced him to stay. And then my five star quarter freshman true freshman quarterback. After the offseason camp, all of a sudden he was in eighty five rating. So it's like I got this junior who's in eighty six or a freshman who's in eighty five. So once again he didn't get to play. And then after the season, demons I had too many people on my roster and I told him to transfer. I clicked the button, like, buddy, you need to you need to leave. I felt really bad. I love it so much. I missed doing this so much. Like you're laughing, I don't have the TV show today and I don't go to the US Open thing till three, and it might be like, oh, Carm's in from Chicago. What are you guys gonna do? Probably recruit players. That's probably what.
Speaker 4: We're gonna do, is you know.
Speaker 2: What I mean. That's here's the thing about whether or not Carm's down for it. Karm is getting to audition to be a US Open ball boy today thanks to his old buddy Nick Wright. So if he has to sit there and watch me recruit make believe high schoolers in the year twenty thirty, he's just gonna have to deal with it, all right. So this was a fun show. There is no TV show today because on FS one is the US Women's exhibition game against Germany. Appreciate everybody watching these two hundred fifty episodes. Demon say you did a great job, have a good day at work, and I will be back here Thursday for the next show and be on TV. By the way, First things, first two hours day now three to five pm. First one of those was yesterday, so back at it three pm tomorrow. See you guys. Then we's right. Hey, thanks for watching. If you're still here, do me a favor. Hit the subscribe button, then hit the bell so you can be notified when we have new episodes. After you've done that, one more favor, go to your favorite audio platform of choice and subscribe there as well. Don't forget we're live every Tuesday and Thursday. It's ten thirty am Eastern Ish, ten thirty five, ten forty. It sometimes changes, but that's why you hit the bell. You hit the bell so you're notified. You subscribe so we can get to two hundred thousand followers. We're right around one hundred and fifty thousand. We'd love to get to two hundred thousand. Get demands another plaque, so like subscribe rate, send a rating to do all that cool stuff. Thanks guys,