Speaker 1: Hey, guys, welcome to I've never said this before with me Tommy di Dario. Today's guest is the always dapper, the always smooth, and the always serenading Michael Boublay. Michael Boublay has sold more than seventy five million albums worldwide over the course of his extraordinary career. Now let me break this down. Five Grammys, a star on the Hollywood and Canada Walk of Fame, six multi platinum albums, over fourteen billion global streams. You know what, I'm just gonna stop there, Otherwise I will be reciting his accolades for the next twenty four hours because there are so many. I mean, clearly, he has made a tremendous impact in music and pop culture. But what I love about Boublay is that his voice his instrument. It can do at all. He sings pop, swing, jazz, R and B, and he takes his audiences on a special journey with every song he performs. He feels his music so deeply, and that is evident every time you watch him, and the guy is all heart. But what is also evident is that Michael has exceptional taste. Yes he does. He recently launched Fraser and Thompson, an elegantly blended North American whiskey brand. And today Michael invited me to sip some whiskey and dive into his latest venture. And let me tell you, the whiskey is good. We chat all about the sweet story behind the name Fraser and Thompson, who he would love to sit down and have a cocktail with, and the moment Cher called him to work with him and recreate one of his most iconic songs. So let's see if today we can get Michael Boublay to say something that he's never said before. Michael Boublay, thank you so much for joining me today.
Speaker 2: How are you. I'm really good, Thanks for having me.
Speaker 1: I am so happy you are here. I see a beautiful bottle of whiskey in front of me. It's calling my name. You poured me a glass.
Speaker 2: What time is it right now?
Speaker 1: It's nine thirty. It's not relevant.
Speaker 2: That sounds like a good time in the morning. Relevant.
Speaker 1: You even to blow up my spot, all right, So first of all, cheers to you. This is your new endeavor, thever we go.
Speaker 2: Thanks for having me.
Speaker 1: Let's have a sip.
Speaker 2: Let's check it out. M oh man, what do you think? Oh man, don't you know what? I know. I'm not going to be kind and you're gonna be courteous, but be really honest with me.
Speaker 1: You know, I'm not a huge whiskey drinker. I'm Italian. I drink a lot of wine, getting more and more into whiskey, and I gotta say it's smooth and it doesn't burn. Why do so many whiskeys burn?
Speaker 2: That is because they're fancy, I swear to man, that's what's Listen, real connoisseurs of great whiskeys. Somebody who loved doing poppyvan Winkle at three thousand bucks a bottle, Well, they love that. They love that burn. You know, I never did. I liked a more excess whiskey. I always like whiskey, but I liked that a little bit more smooth than the sweeter flavor at the end, A little bit of sweet at the end, not too sweet. B Yeah. And the truth is this all started on my birthday, where a fellow named Paul Circa who had a distillery in Montreal, a little boutique distillery, and he had called my manager and said, we'd love Mike to be the face of this thing. And my manager said, listen, Mike, I think I don't know if it's a big enough business for you to do that. And so my birthday I was having drinks and I loved it. I mean, I knew it was great quality. And I said to my wife, you know what, Lou, what if you and I do something where we joined forces kind of artistically creatively, And what if we buy we'd become a part owner of this distillery. And that is really where it started. And so we became part owners. Had no idea what we were doing. And then a fellow named Larry Roof out of Las Vegas, out of Southern Glacier, was a big distributor. He said, you know, Mike, why don't you go and meet with Shelley Stein, who worked for West Brands. And I went to go meet Shelley. I was working with Lauren Michaels on the SNL SAT and I went to go see Shelley, and Shelley said, you know, Mike, I think you got the right brand for this, the personality you obviously like the whiskey. Why don't we try something. And so we made a deal with Southern Glaziers and we went to a beautiful place called heaven Hill, which is a beautiful whiskey one hundred year old company that out of Kentucky earned a very famous whiskey makers, and first time, you know, for one hundred years, that family allowed someone else in and we started Fraser and Thompson, which was a mix of that Montreal Distilleries whiskey bourbon with the Heaven Hill Whiskey bourbon. So we have this beautiful North American whiskey and listen, man, I lost control. It was supposed to be this little, fun little thing with my wife, and it's turned into something that it's a lot bigger and a lot more ambitious. But the truth is it's been fun. It really has like we're having a kick out of doing it. And I think what you said when I first walked in, you said to me, this new challenge, new endeavor. And I think twenty years writing records, promoting the record, and touring the record, and there's been it's been cyclical over and over again. Twenty years yeah, doing the same thing. And by the way, ten years before that, of playing nightclubs and bars and everything else, it was really fun to go. You know what, I don't want to be maybe I can try being an entrepreneur and not taking myself too seriously, but try to do this thing. And more than anything, was an idea and a way for my wife and I to have a deeper connection. So wow, here I am man.
Speaker 1: Were you always a whiskey drinker or he's always ask drink? Yeah?
Speaker 2: You were? Yeah? Okay, all right. I wasn't much of a beer guy, not much of a wine guy. I mean, I appreciate it. My wife like wine, but I liked you know, someone was saying to me recently that they liked the they liked the direct road. You know. I like having a few pops with my buddies and my family. Yeah, and I don't you know, I love having a nice little buzz and I don't love sometimes taking eight beers to get there.
Speaker 1: No, I get it, because I get it.
Speaker 2: Just a couple of little glasses of whiskey and I'm a happy boy.
Speaker 1: So talk to me about the name. I know it has sentimental meaning to you.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Well, you were talking to me about your heritage, about your grandparents, and you know, I'm a really proud Canadian of Italian extraction, and our family's just really close. My grandpa and Grandma Nona. Nona were just a tight part of our family. And the reason that I'm here sitting in this chair across from you is because I had a grandpa who loved the music of the big band. He loved the thirties and forties, fift he loved Sinatra and Dino, I mean, all the time is Tony Bennett and I loved it. And it was one of those things where it was like not just enough, where you just love your grandpa because you both love hockey and you love each other, and you know, just we just had a really great connection. But he used to make wine, his homemade wine, and it was like the hit of the neighborhood. And he'd make grandpa and put cherries in and this basically moonshine. And so when I came up with this whiskey and I knew we were going to do this, I wanted to pay tribute to him. So my grandpa was a plumber for fifty years, but he really wanted to be a geography teacher and he used to it was fascinated with the world, and he used to take his camping and we'd go up to where the Mighty Fraser and the glacier Thompson met in this beautiful confluence. They built a gondol over it now. But when I thought about this mix of North American whistkey, I was like, you know what, talk about paying tribute to this dude that is my everything. We will call it Fraser and Thompson, F and ty and and it all just you know, in a marketing way, it just it was perfect. It was one of those ideas where you just go, oh, yeah, that's this is easy, and it's cool because even on the bottle, there's these little some of these little easter eggs, you know, like here at the very top, that's nineteen twenty seven, the year he was born. And here I've got I pretend it's a serial number, but it's not. It's my birthday, nine nine seventy five. Wow. So there's all these cool little easter eggs, and you can see where the Fraser and the Thompson meet here.
Speaker 1: So it's a deeply personal adventure.
Speaker 2: Yeah, man, it really, it really is. And it's you know, I hope that I don't sun crass when I say this, but I've been really lucky in my life. I've been really fortunate. I've had great success in my business, and it's really nice not to make decisions based on finance. And I'm sure you feel the same way about your life. When you make decisions based on monetary goals, things just go wrong really quickly, and even when you don't mean for them to, there's a purity that's lost. And so it's a really nice thing to you know, by the way, this is a lot of pressing the flesh. It's me going to you know, to different companies and meeting you know, me, your contributors, and you know, it's my I own the company, you know, my wife and I.
Speaker 1: It's not just a face in it.
Speaker 2: And we took three years to make sure that we could reverse engineer whiskey for people that might not love whiskey, you know. And and I sort of wanted to bust all the tropes. I didn't want to sit in a leather chair and and try to be mister smooth. I wanted to, you know, I wanted to you know, our whole brand was about easy. Now the world's got nuts, you know, and there's so much divisions, so much to fighter, or how about we just chill, have a nice glass of whiskey and get along for a second.
Speaker 1: And we keep bringing up the idea of this being your new en Denver, and obviously you're a pro in the music space, So how is creating this whiskey different or similar to creating music?
Speaker 2: For you? Was just so similar because I don't really I know nothing about it. And the truth is, I don't know much about music. I never oh, come on, well listen, I know what I know, I know what I like. But I never went to school. You know. I write all those songs that you hear, and even the arrangements when you hear feeling good or sway, that's me sitting down and singing out those parts. But I never learned music theory. I still can't read music. It's funny because people hear that and they go, well, if you can't read music, you know, but a lot of people can't read music. Paul mcarr and he can't read music or doesn't. But it was the same. When I say it was the same, it's because you don't have to know logistically what you're doing when you're mixing notes. These things feel good essentially, and I think you're creating a vibe. And with this and the profile, it was mixing flavors that I really liked. It's the same as mixing notes that I really like. When I write a song, you know what I mean, it really is, and you come up with this harmony that works for you. And it helped too that when I songwrite many times, I know what I want Conceptually. You know I'm going to write a I'm going to write a love song that is about having your heart broken. And once I go in that direction, I know I know where I'm going, I know what it is. And this wasn't me trying to come up with a three thousand dollars bottle of a whiskey. It was me saying, I want to create something that is accessible that gives you. My dad talks all the time, but value. My dad talks about My dad talks about value. You call him frugal if you want, or but he does. Even in my concerts, you know, my commage or the tickets, do you think for that amount people are experiencing value for their dollar spend. And He'll say to me, because if they do, they will come back over and over again. The moment that they don't feel they've got value, they're gone. They will disappear from your life. And so for me, I was really lucky that the people that I was working with, my partners, they understood the assignment, which was, let's make a gorgeous whiskey that is really flavorful, that's a yummy that you can walk into a party with a three thousand dollars bottle of whiskey and I can walk in with F and T and you'll go and you know, the whiskey drinker will go, yeah, man, I'll try that. And I wasn't going for the high you know, I wasn't going for some high falutin thing. I wanted to make accessible whiskey that gave value for flavor.
Speaker 1: But man, quality doesn't have to be expensive, it doesn't. You're absolutely right, right, So this is priced at what twenty?
Speaker 2: It's thirty five bucks?
Speaker 1: Thirty five bucks? I mean, come on, come on, how do you beat that?
Speaker 2: Yeah? That must be very absolutely. I mean, I love this sweater and I think it's forty bucks.
Speaker 1: So it's a good sweater. You look pretty dapper. You look pretty dapper in that. Can you give me the name of that one?
Speaker 2: Later? We were talking about it this morning when I got ready, and it was like you're gonna wear a suit and I was like, no, it's too early.
Speaker 1: No, no, no, no, that's amazing, man. So if you could have a glass of this with anyone right now, let's see two people, someone living and someone who's passed on to the other side. Who would you sit down and share this amazing glass of windy.
Speaker 2: I'm really honest right now because all I have is now it's you. I'm really happy to be sitting with you having this class, and I'm glad you're not dead. And the person that i'd love to sit down with is my grandpa. And because because I miss him every single day, every minute of the day, everything good happens to me, my first thought is.
Speaker 1: To call him.
Speaker 2: And I don't know, man, my happiness was, you know what's weird. I know we love our we love our family, we love our mom and dad. But every once in a while, and you may not say it out loud because you don't want to play favorites, but we have favorites. There are people that just you just click. And that was what that was for me. Every time the Vancouver Canucks won a hockey game or I got a break where hey get they called You're going to be on Leno or you know you're going to open for Dion Warwick or you know that was the very literally two six, that was the number. And I wish he was here. What I love is here.
Speaker 1: He is here, He's with us. And what I love about you, man, is your heart. And I feel that in your music. You have so much soul. You write with passion, you write with your truth, and if you don't know, we see that in all of the artists in today's world. And I think that's something that you have had such success with. It's connecting with people and making us feel something. And even when you talk about this beautiful bottle of whiskey that I'm touching and looking at, I feel what you're talking about. And that's a gift you have, man.
Speaker 2: Thank you, And I wish I could tell you I was I'm this great. If you met my sisters, or my mom and dad, or if you met my grandma and grandpa, you'd understand who I am, and you probably like them all more than you like me. The truth, so where you know many times listen, it's funny because I have friends that have not had what I've had, and they've turned out to be really marvelous human beings. And I have one of my best friends. It's just not been an easy life. He's just not He just he didn't get lucky. You know. Dad left early, Mom passed away, brother left as well. And he has a million reasons and a million excuses to why he could be terrible, unhappy, bitter human being. And he has made the decision to strive for greatness. And I don't mean in business, I mean and just as a human being. And and so we all you know, I'm just really lucky that, you know, I had this incredible support, Like even man, I was sixteen fifteen when I told them I want to be a singer, and you know how many parents would go, you know, oh Jesus, it wants to be a singer. And it was like my parents went, Okay, let's do this. Let's buy him a mic and an ab and they would come to every show, every shopping mall, every busking thing that I did, every cruise ship, every I mean dude that my mom used to used to do these theater events. And my mom would take old records, you know, the ascetates, and she would melt them into a bowl and then she would make like a little gift bag. And then she you know what I mean, it's been a family It's been a family fair from the beginning. So I'm a lucky boy.
Speaker 1: I know that concept is super important to you. And you talked about family a lot today and where you're from and your roots even earlier before we were recording. And I have to bring up the home version with Share. Yeah, because man, that is epic. How did that happen? She just called you and said, yeah, I have a song, let's record it.
Speaker 2: And it's you know, it's funny. It happened because we have people in our lives that are mutual friends, and it's been no joke twenty years of them saying to me, you need to meet Schaer. You need to work with Share, you need to hang with Share, you need to know Share Share, and you would love each other, Sharon, you would laugh your ass off together. And then to her, they were going, you need to meet this booblet guy, this booblet you know, she was Share. So I mean I imagine she was going, okay, And and I think that it wasn't a surprise for all of those people that we would meet and that we would establish this really great chemistry and connection. She's just I mean, she's amazing. I mean every the truth is. I mean, she's just real. She's unapologetic about who she is. I think I don't think she thinks it's a big deal that she share. I think if you put a truth serum into her arm and you said, like, oh my god, your share, she'd say yeah. And you know, and but she's it's funny man, when they called and you know. And I did an interview about this the other day. Listen, I made a Christmas record many years ago, and I meant it. I didn't make a Christmas record. I should clarify. I made a Michael Boublet record and I love Christmas. And that that I think people kind of like they couldn't articulate or express why they felt it was genuine. But then you like, oh my god. Actually people used to ask me and say, wow, you're making a Christmas record, and literally in the studio, I'd go, no, I'm making the Christmas record. Oh I like. I just loved it. I like, And I think I think she did the same thing. And I think when her and I got together, I realized quickly how ambitious she was. I realized she wasn't making a Christmas album. She was making a share album. And it was cute because here she is, this veteran, this beautiful, you know, full of light woman, and she is like fifteen years old. She was on the phone playing me all the songs over and over again, and oh my god, listen and I love this one. Listen to Darling Love, and oh, you know that I used to sing when I was a kid. I used to do the backout rack round things, and and oh my god, Stevie, I called Stevie. Stevie actually answered, and you're going, well, of course he answered, your share. But she's still genuinely, you know, like excited. And so every dude about September of every single year the last thirteen years, you know, or many of the biggest celebrities that we know start to call me and they start to say, I have an idea. We should do a duet or let's do a Christmas thing, And I say, thank you so much, you know, I you know, I really appreciate you thinking to me. But I love Christmas, but I want Christmas. I want Christmas for my baby. I went Christmas from it, and so I say no. I have said no to five different gigantic, iconic acts. But when Share called, there was I mean, are you kidding me? You just say yes? And then the fact that she said, like, we're thinking about singing the song home that I wrote, and it was like I met like I was talking to Elvis Durant about it, and my mom. I have sung with the most amazing artists in the universe, like you know, the ones, all of the ones that we love. I have been blessed to have a moment with them. My mother lost her mind that like none other. It was Share, like, you're doing this with the Share So I don't even know what to say. I imagine you do it too, But there continue to be so many moments where I just go, how is this happening? What is happening? And never gets old.
Speaker 1: Well, man, you should be so proud. There's there's so much you should be celebrating. As we wrap up this conversation, the name of the show is I've never said this before, so I'm curious to is there something you can think of that you've never said before, Whether it's silly or deep or whatever it can be. I know you're an open book man, is there that comes to mind?
Speaker 2: Can I have both?
Speaker 1: You cannot both?
Speaker 2: Well, I think one of the things you've probably never heard me say, or I'd never have said, is I cannot wait to go to the gym tomorrow. That one, and I think the other is, you know the world, the world could use more cynical people.
Speaker 1: Mmmm, well said my man.
Speaker 2: Well said a pleasure. Man.
Speaker 1: Cheers to you, Happy holidays.
Speaker 2: Happy holidays.
Speaker 1: And I'll be drinking some whiskey now, thanks man.
Speaker 2: I hope you'll And you know what, if you're not the guy that likes it straight like this, just pour a little but of the bottle, mix a little brown sugar and water, maybe crush a little bit of orange juice or orange bubbly and it's like a new old fashioned it. I mean, that's what I do. I love it. Put in the freezer and it's also like a big ball ice and and enjoy yourself.
Speaker 1: I've Never Said This Before is hosted by Me Tommy Diderio. This podcast is executive produced by Andrew Puglisi at iHeartRadio and Tommy, with editing by Joshua Colaudney. I've Never Said This Before is part of the Elvis Duran podcast Network on iHeart Podcasts for more rate, review and subscribe to our show. And if you liked this episode, tell your friends. Until next time, I'm Tommy Diderio.