Speaker 1: This is a young team. We're on the cuff. They're hungry to get better.
Speaker 2: Peers lightning right, Spend parrels his way down on the forty one yard line.
Speaker 3: Want to run by Piers.
Speaker 2: These are the type of guys, the type of men that we want in our locker room.
Speaker 3: Tender top pitch question, Harris.
Speaker 4: Game day is every day.
Speaker 1: I love the energy. Stop by Stateley p Trey. Texans have the ball on the pit and if you want it, you gotta go work.
Speaker 4: No, it's Texans all xys.
Speaker 3: Yes, so you definitely gotta go work.
Speaker 1: And we are working this evening for you, John Harris alongside the voice of the Texans, Mark vandermir That's what I have on my phone. And when Mark called me earlier, it came up as the voice of the Texans.
Speaker 3: That's all it says. It says voice, and I know who that is. It's very nice. Mark. Good evening, We boy, good evening. We have a we got a lot a lot, a lot a lot.
Speaker 1: To talk about and I'm not even sure where to start, but we.
Speaker 3: Talked to Lite nowhere.
Speaker 1: Okay, I think, all right, I'll go with what you want to What do you want to start?
Speaker 2: With all right, I want to have a contest, and the contest is name your starting five offensive linemen September tenth.
Speaker 5: I think I can get somebody to ensure it.
Speaker 2: We can give away one hundred grand because it's going to be tough to name for most people. But Johnny, if anybody can do it, you and I can get it done and name the starting five or at least give some options because if they come to us, right, if they come to us and say, hey, who should start, I think we can help them out.
Speaker 5: I don't think they will. In fact, I'm positive they won't.
Speaker 2: But it's been a really interesting few days injuries, Kenyan Green, acquisitions, practice squad, and reports.
Speaker 5: And we'll put it together, right we will.
Speaker 1: I'll say this practice was today, and then the guys are off the I think they're off Friday, Saturday, Sunday, so they might have something tomorrow. But then the season premiere is tomorrow. Season premiere, Yeah tomorrow, they're all gonna be there.
Speaker 3: So yeah, they're all gonna be there for tomorrow.
Speaker 1: So at that point you'll get a look at you know, even further because you have the cutdown yesterday at three pm Central time. Then you have waiver claims. The Texans did make two waiver claims. Those two players go right to the fifty three man roster. Two rookies Oregon State defensive back Alex Austin and Ole Miss guard Nick Broker. They were both with the Buffalo Bills. They were both claimed on the roster. Now the corresponding moves a little bit of a kind of doghead turn here mark the corresponding moves. Two players were then released, Derrick Rivers who was then signing with the practice squad, and Mike Boone.
Speaker 3: Was released.
Speaker 1: Now, I have not seen anything further on Mike Boone unless I've missed it. I have not seen anything further on Mike Boone. But he is the second He's the second player that is released.
Speaker 3: They make way where John? What's that?
Speaker 2: But Aaron Wilson. I'm gonna give him credit because I've just seen it right here. Thirty one minutes ago, uh signed re signing to the fifty three man roster Mike Boone and Corey Littleton.
Speaker 3: So okay, there we go.
Speaker 2: All right, good, that's what he says, And they haven't. The Texas have not come out with the pr email today with all the day's activities right.
Speaker 3: Well, you can see why.
Speaker 1: You can see why because there's so many things going on. Also, the Texans are resigning Steven Simms Junior, and we talked about this machination last night. We said to look out for this one because the the this happened with John Weeks in I can't remember what year it was, twenty one, maybe I think at twenty one, and to get some players through to IR and just to kind of roster machinations. And honestly, I can't tell you how this works. It's just what the CBA allows them to do.
Speaker 3: They released Weeks.
Speaker 1: And then two days later brought him back, and that's essentially what the Texans have done with Boone and Lyttleton and now Steven Simms. They released them because they had to be off the roster by three o'clock yesterday. But then they brought them back and they're back on the roster. So Lyttleton, Boone and Sims added back.
Speaker 3: Also added to.
Speaker 1: The mix is Alex Austin in the corner of the Rookie Corner from out of Oregon State. And then Nick Broker and I want to go there with Broker offensive Lineman from Ole miss, he's a guard. I've seen him play a number of times, so with the Senior Bowl, I think he's a sturdy, developmental guy that you can grow and I think he will get better as he grows. And the one thing I kept saying about him when I would study him, there's nothing elite in have elite arm length or size or anything. But he would just get guys blocked. So I'm curious to see how he fits in. So back to your question about the starting five at Baltimore. Go ahead, big fella, who.
Speaker 3: Is what's the starting five? You want me the defensive line.
Speaker 1: I want you to put in your not only suggestion, but what your expectation might be for that offensive line.
Speaker 2: All right, By the way, I have Sims here, according to sort, not sources, according to reports. I should say Sims on the practice practice squad, right, and Boone and Littleton on the fifty three. But you know, wait fifteen minutes, this could change again, exactly until the team says something. This is all just stuff in the wind, and we might be wrong about it, but let's go with this. Johnny, you look at the guard situation, Kenyon green On ir, I know it's been a big topic on the station all day long, and I get it because he's a first round draft choice from last year. We celebrate these guys, and then look what happens. I think the situation back in May what Nick Assario said today, that they knew this was a possibility. Look, guys got it out all the time, trying to play through things. And do you want to have season ending surgery in May or do you want to give it a chance when you might be able to possibly make it through the season or at least a big chunk, or maybe things turn out Okay, I don't know. I don't live in Kenyan Green's shoes and I'm not his doctor, but that could be a possibility, because why else would they have done this, right, I think they were hoping against hope that this could work out for this season at least, but it didn't.
Speaker 3: And he's on.
Speaker 5: IR So there it is.
Speaker 2: And in May when this comes up anyway, it's not like, oh suddenly we can acquire we could exhume the career of Mike Munchak, or we can exhume the career of John It doesn't work that way.
Speaker 5: No one's available in May.
Speaker 2: You know, whoever's available in May is likely to be available via a certain kind of trade now or maybe an acquisition through the waiver wire or another means. So to me, it is what it is, and you gotta deal with it. I don't know what happened to Michael Dieter. We all wonder about that one. But here they have on their roster currently, let's just go with what we have. You tell me, can Kendrick Green possibly play? Can you move Josh Jones to guard? Can you move Titus to guard and put Josh Jones at right tackle? There are different opportunities within what they've got right now, practice squad included, and we'll get to that. But tell me about that guard situation with Green, Jones or Howard possibly, because there are some opportunities here. It's just hard to predict what they're gonna.
Speaker 3: Do it really is.
Speaker 1: I mean, you start thinking today at practice, there are six linemen dressed out. Six now you typically now, I once you get the practice squad, there's obviously a lot more. But you know, when you're working out before the game and there are eight offensive linemen dressed out, you feel like, oh man, they got all the linemen dressed out.
Speaker 3: No, I mean that's eight and they're usually two that you.
Speaker 1: Know, I think you have nine, sometimes sometimes you have ten, depending on you know, how much versatility you have. My point in bringing that up is you look down there and you're like, okay, you got laramie, you've got shack.
Speaker 3: So you've left tackle and right guard.
Speaker 1: As long as nothing happens then physically in the next few days, that's the only you know, forty percent of.
Speaker 3: The line that's it.
Speaker 1: After that, a lot of it has to do with Titus's hand in his recovery. Then the question becomes, all right, well, Josh Jones and Titus Howard are similar I think in this respect. They are both natural tackles, but you might need one of them to play guard, and and you might have to do that to get your best five.
Speaker 3: On the field.
Speaker 1: So which one is that? If you move Titus over there and put him at left guard. I mean, we've kind of we've seen that before, and I don't know how successful that is now. Would it be more successful with a different center in the system, Does it fit Titus a little bit more?
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 1: My gut tells me they'll leave Titus over at right tackle, and they would move Josh Jones over to left guard. Now I don't love that, but if it gets your best lineman on the field, then I'm for it to a degree.
Speaker 3: Now, let's hop over to center.
Speaker 2: Let's say that pause the center thing for a moment. Okay, let's say Titus is unavailable against Baltimore. Let's just go there for a moment, and that hypothetical he's not available against Baltimore at tackle? Or do you put Jones at tackle and then piece it together at guard somehow you're really up against it?
Speaker 5: Then, right, This is why the.
Speaker 1: Deeper thing, this is why the Deeterer thing, to me is just kind of a miss, because I would have felt like, look, Dieter is a natural guard or center, right, I mean one of the He could play one or the other, and he's done it throughout camp. I don't like Dieter at tackle and didn't like Dieter at tackle, but Gardner center, I felt like he held his own and did good things. So, okay, you put Dieter in at left guard, and then you in some sense have a competition to see who plays right tackle and Jones leading up to the Baltimore week, in which one you know can Can Josh Jones get up to speed with the protections, with the line calls.
Speaker 3: Can he feel comfortable enough with that? Can he get a crash course out on the edge?
Speaker 1: But Mark, I mean, do you want to have a tackle out there in Baltimore against edge rushers that are not the greatest, but man, they are incredibly quick and dynamic in Odefe o Way and David Ojabo.
Speaker 3: Do you want?
Speaker 1: I mean, I I I'm perplexed as to as to what and how that can that can shake down. I'm hoping that Titus is then ready to go, but look, I don't want to rush it just because I'm gonna feel uncomfortable in week one. If Titus isn't ready, he's not ready. I hope he's ready for week two. They'll have as as I've heard both Tamiko and Nick say. Look, we'll have a quarterback under center, they'll have an offensive line.
Speaker 3: It's just a matter of.
Speaker 1: How do you put it together if Titus can't go. My guess is on the edge leeve Fant and then put Josh Jones at guard potentially, and then get to the center position, where now you still have questions. I hate to, you know, put Jones in that spot of Hey, look, you've looked pretty good at tackle the last couple of years.
Speaker 3: You haven't looked that it's good at guard.
Speaker 1: But this might be best for the Texans right now, Josh, for you to play guard.
Speaker 3: Yes, and that's the hardest thing ever.
Speaker 5: So I've got your center if you need it.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 2: Look, I'd love to have Juice fully healthy. Maybe it happens. You know, you said only six dress today. I mean that was there for the world to see, the media to see. Maybe somehow, you know, another few days. All right, I'm good, I'm over it. I don't know, we don't know that. But on the practice squad, reportedly there's a player who I like. Now, I've admittedly not been the greatest offensive line evaluator. In other words, I have no idea. Are you pushing their guys out of the way? Are you successful when you're in there as a unit? That's I look at those things and I'm watching a ball anyway what I'm doing play by play. But Jimmy Morrissey's on the practice squad. Jimmy Morrissey has started games for this team. He's actually started wins for this team. He started the Charger game in twenty twenty one, which I know for the Chargers was we're hungover or whatever, and it's late in the season and we just overlooked this one that they make all sorts of excuses. Come on, you ran the ball well that day, you played well. It was a nice, little tidy win in an otherwise really unfortunate season. I think Jimmy might be an option for them as an elevation, And I think now that he's on the practice squad, I'm not exactly sure of this, but I think he's protected till at least after Week one, so that might be that might be an option for them, among whatever else they can cook up. But I don't think that's the worst option in the world, considering he has some starting experience.
Speaker 1: Yes, if Juice is unable to go, now, even if Juice plays, if Juice is ready to go, which I don't know, something tells me that's not gonna happen, But look, you never know. Juice is a rookie anyway, so just is gonna be playing his first NFL game whenever he steps on the field.
Speaker 3: So yep, if Juice is not in there, then.
Speaker 1: Okay, Deeter would have been my next option, Well no longer. Here then Jared Patterson is an option. Now. Here's the thing with Jared Patterson, the rookie on Notre Dame. He played center for three years at Notre Dame. His senior year he moved to guard so they could get the best offensive line on the field. Harry Heuston, if I remember correctly, went back to Notre Dame in that year and he moved Patterson over to guard. He then played the full year at guard. The other night, when Juice got banged up, Jarrett went into the game. They kept the line where it was, They kept Eater at left guard. Yeah, nothing that left guard, and they just moved Patterson. So instead of having two moving pieces, they just had one. And it was Patterson going in. And I thought Jarrett more than held his own. I thought he did a great, you know, as good a job as you could do jumping in there. And I had to go out of the game a little bit. I think he just got the wind knocked out of him. But once he caught, once he caught his breath, he went back in. He did some good things. So Jarrett's a smart dude, and I haven't seen any mental errors. I thought they would try that guard, but he also got centered in his background. So Patterson is an option. He'd be a rookie, but he knows the offense. Jimmy's an option as an elevation because he knows this offense.
Speaker 3: And I got a feeling that Jimmy might the.
Speaker 1: Elevation for the first few weeks until they can kind of get everybody back, Juice back, Titus back, et cetera, and then get Kendrick Green up the speed. I don't know that you can put Kendrick Green in at center or guard unless it's a pseudo emergency. I mean, you're gonna go up to Baltimore outside in a raucous environment and CJ's gonna check to a play and Kendrick's gonna be like, huh Now, it's the NFL. You've got to be able to step up and step in at some point. But he got a rookie quarterback back there. And the last thing you want is for Kendrick Green to think it's a slide protection to the left and he opens up the a gap and here comes Roquan and smashes CJ. So you're gonna have to You're gonna have to work those things out, I would feel a little bit more comfortable, even though I think Kendrick is probably a better prospect overall. But Jimmy and Jarrett both know this offense and they know the center position, so that I would think, as it sits right now, might make the most sense in what they can do. So when I saw Jimmy was coming back on the practice squad, I was like.
Speaker 3: Okay, that I can That's okay.
Speaker 1: I feel a little bit better. I don't feel great. Even if Juice were one hundred percent healthy, Mark, I still would be nervous, of course, nervous going against the Ravens. I mean, that's not Brandon Williams and Kalays Campbell over there. It's not them anymore. But it's Justin Mattabek, who's just as disruptive.
Speaker 3: And the guys on the ads. It's not Terrell Suggs and Justin Houston.
Speaker 1: But you know, Ojabo and Oway have got a ton of speed and explosiveness, and they're playing in that building and it's gonna be raucous.
Speaker 3: It's the opener. And then, oh, by the way, playing behind him his Roquan.
Speaker 1: So if you're not if you're not buttoned up at center or guard, and we saw that last year against the Bears when nobody blocked Roquan and Roquand had like twenty tackles in that game.
Speaker 3: Right I had a pick, You had a pick. Basically it picked in the game.
Speaker 1: So you've got to be solid at center or guard so you can get somebody to at least attempt to get a hat on Rokwan in the running game. Because you don't, then it's forget it. You're not You're not running for fifty yards that day. So figuring out left guard and center at this point, when you look at the options of Kendrick Green recently acquired, Josh Jones, just traded for Jimmy Morrissey currently on practice squad, and Jared Patterson.
Speaker 3: A six round rookie. You went from feeling really really good. I know I did.
Speaker 1: I went from feeling pretty good about what the line was gonna look like with Juice healthy, even if Kenyon was in or not it was Deeter. I felt really confident about that line. Then Titus gets banged up. George has done some good things at right tackle, but it's not Titus. You bring in Josh Jones, I'm excited about that, but he's been here for a week. So where where do you? How do you kind of put all this together? And that's where I'm just I'm kind of shaking my head about all of it, like, man, what do you?
Speaker 3: What do you do? And that's that's baffling.
Speaker 6: Now.
Speaker 1: Aaron Wilson has this about ten minutes ago, and I've seen kind of bits and pieces of these all day. This is not I think sixteen could be on practice squad if my numbers are correct as thirteen.
Speaker 3: But it's Clill Davis Deculus. I saw him in a building today, so I figured that was what it was.
Speaker 1: Kobe Francis, Ali Gay, Brandon Hill who's been banged up, the rookie had a pitch, Johnny Johnson dunk Keene, Jimmy Morrissey Derrek Rivers went from the roster to practice squad. Dio who's the international pathway player. So that does give you an extra one with him being an international pathway player. Steven Simms recently put on practice squad Garrett Wallow and then Ty Zantner, who punted coming back on a practice squad.
Speaker 3: So yes, because you can also have him as a standard elevent two.
Speaker 1: If Cam's not completely ready now Cam was, I thought, I don't know. I didn't see any special teams today, so I saw Cam out there, but I don't know what if he was doing, or what if he's ready to go or what.
Speaker 3: But Tipe on it pretty well the other day.
Speaker 1: So if you've got to have him as a standard or as an elevation on game day from the practice squad, then and then okay, great.
Speaker 3: So it's it's tough.
Speaker 1: I was feeling really good about how the roster is coming together, Mark, and then the offensive line injuries happened, you know juices against the Saints, you know Titus obviously earlier.
Speaker 3: Uh you know those two.
Speaker 1: I mean when forty percent of your line is down and you're you're questionable essentially going into Baltimore like man, that's a kick in the she canuts.
Speaker 2: So this is interesting because when Scotty went down, I thought, oh, because you know what I always say, it tends to be a position group that gets the injury bug.
Speaker 3: It's like a virus.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and injuries go through a position crew and tight end was kind of it during camp. But they seem to be together now. Brevin Jordan was at practice today, right, So that's a really positive thing.
Speaker 3: Yes, he was.
Speaker 2: I was really hoping that he was in one of those guys who'd end up on IR and day two of the initial fifty three and all that. But he's part of the fifty three. Good, so let's see what he can do. We talked about him last night. But when Scotty went down, that was early in camp relatively, and I thought, let's not do this, let's not do this on the line, and a lot of people were saying, well, Juice, Scrug's going to start anyway. I'm not so sure about that. I think Juice was eventually going to start, but right away.
Speaker 5: I don't know.
Speaker 2: Maybe they liked Scotty in this system, you know, doing this zone blocking and all the other elements they have in this Kubiaki and Shanahanian system with Bobby slowan coach and the O. So maybe they like Scotty. And I know one thing, injuries are not good.
Speaker 5: This just in breaking news. You mentioned the Ravens. You're going up there.
Speaker 2: There's a defensive ethic in this organization that's been around for a long time. What's the Super Bowl year two thousand, twenty four years of football, right. They've been out of the top ten in defense in those twenty four years only seven times. And listen, I'm not gonna read all the numbers to you. I'm not gonna bog you down with these numbers. But there are a lot of ones, twos, and threes in there, a lot of top five finishes in defense throughout those years. Last year there were ninth in yards, third in points per game allowed.
Speaker 5: And I know year to year things changed.
Speaker 2: Two years ago they were actually pretty horrible, but that was just an abnormal situation for them. They're usually a top ten type defense, whether it be yards or points or both.
Speaker 5: And this year we'll see.
Speaker 2: But you're opening up there when supposedly everybody's fresh, but the Texans are not fresh on the old line.
Speaker 5: They gotta find a way to put it together.
Speaker 2: Help is on the way eventually, because you're gonna get Charlie Heck back. You're not gonna get Kenyan greenback this year. But as guys get healthier, as the acquisitions they've made get acclimated, that'll be good as well. But you are where you are right now. You got to try to put it together, no.
Speaker 3: Doubt about it.
Speaker 1: Two guys that ended up being cut have found new homes. Drew Dordy and I talked about those two players that were cut, what they meant to this organization.
Speaker 3: That's next on Texans All Access.
Speaker 4: More Texans Radio is on the way. Texans Radio is back.
Speaker 1: This is John Harris Football, ANAMALS sideline reporter for your Texans with you this evening and each and every Tuesday Wednesday, Drew Dordy and I sit down and do a little in the Lab podcast. We did this one talking about the cuts and two major ones. Two guys have found jobs in the NFL at this point, but we discussed them. Desmond King, who is going to sign with the Steelers, and then Christian Kirksey, who is going to sign with the Buffalo Bills practice squad. I love the fact that practice squad rules have changed that it allows veterans of any experience level to be on a practice squad and given the opportunity to kind of work themselves into shape or learn the system or whatever. So it looks like Christian's gonna have that opportunity up in Buffalo. But we talked about that right here on in the Lab.
Speaker 3: Chris hit it. Let's go.
Speaker 7: This is a big day, cutdown day. We've seen names already trickle out about who's not going to be on the roster, who might be back in a little bit, some other big names around the league, some former Texans, some notable names. But I thought Demico Ryans put it perfectly on Monday in his press conference at Energy Stadium, is the day after the Saints preseason game. He said, it's a delicate day, it's a sensitive day, it's tough, and it's one of those days he went through as a player. He was in the NFL for ten years. I don't know that he was really ever on the bubble until maybe the end, and I can't remember exactly how his the end of his career went. Twenty fourteen was the last season with the Eagles, but I know he was never in jeopardy here. He just got traded, you know, but salary can use salary cap casualty kind of. But he at least has been around enough to see it. You spend a decade playing, you spend some time as an assistant, getting close to guys that you want to keep, but you know, just aren't all the way there. Tough day, and it's never one of the fun ones, certainly in this building or any NFL building for that matter.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it really is. And you know, I've talked to some of the NFL people around the league, from scouts to players to coaches, and you have to Drew and this is a day that everybody. Everybody hates. The fans love it in some sense because they get to see what the fifty three is going to be at the start of the season, or at least on two years.
Speaker 6: Crystallizes things a little bit, right.
Speaker 1: And so you as a as a fan, you start thinking about starting the season. Let's go, it's week one. We're get excited about regular season Football's training camp. Nonsense, it's just behind us. Let's go, let's do it. But man, there's so much that goes into it. And ninety guys in a in a locker room, every single one of them is at a different stage, and they're all thinking about this day in a different way. You know. The Damian Pearces and Jalen Petries are like, yo, let's just get the Baltimore Larimy Tunzel is you know, just all right, when when's practice, we gotta get ready for Baltimore. I gotta get ready for David Ajabo and o'defeoway. So then you've got players at bottom of the roster going, man, I'm on the roster. I think if I'm not, where do I go? What do I do? And then you got some near the bottom of the bottom of the roster that are like, Okay, where's my next opportunity? Is my next opportunity in the NFL? Maybe it's not even in the NFL, maybe it's XFL. Do I need to be thinking about getting a job on Tuesday? All those emotions are kind of floating through the locker room, and your coaches are kind of as you mentioned, Dimika Ryans. Coaches are dealing with that too because they got to have hard discussions, and the hardest discussions are coming from Nick Cassariodika Ryans. But Dimko said something pretty interesting to us, Drue that I thought about a lot. He said, I want all ninety of these guys to have their careers in the NFL. I want them to all be on NFL roster in some way, shape or form, sure in twenty twenty three and beyond. And I thought that was interesting. I don't think I've ever heard a coach say that. Now they might have thought it, but I don't know, have ever heard any one of them say it out loud. And I just think that speaks to to Tamiko. I know Nick feels that way too.
Speaker 7: Been through it and seeing friends get cut and he got traded. I mean that had to be a just a bombshell to him. So yeah, he's got that human element.
Speaker 1: To it, right, no doubt. And so it makes us its day. And you know, for you and I and we get to know these players. We interview them out to practice, we talked to them, We get to know them a little bit. And then some of them, you know, some rookies we don't get to know. But some guys they've been around here, you know, the Desmond Kings, the Christian Kirkseyes, the World Lopez. I mean those guys you know we've gotten over the last three years. And you look up and Okay, well they're not in the locker room anymore. And you know, you've been there since two thousand and I've been there since twenty fourteen. You know, you get used to it, but just because you get used to something doesn't mean you like it. And you hate seeing those players. I mean, de Dez has a brother that has Aspergers. He's on the spectrum as well. So Dez and I've talked about that because my son has the same and so we've talked a lot about that about family. So I wish them all well. I hate it because it feels like, Okay, you got to get ready for the Ravens and we got to start preparing, you know, even our stuff for the Ravens. But you just hate that, you know, guys that you like as people and as football players have got to go start something different end up in a different location. I always find it fascinating at the end of games, Drew when players meet at midfield and they're shaking hands and you're like, O, hey, those two didn't go to the same college. Oh yeah, they were in this rookie class with this team, and now they've you know, gone these their separate ways and now they're meeting again. So it's it's the biggest smallest fraternity on the planet in some sense. So it's a tough day, but it's necessary. It's necessary. Ninety guys get a shot, you get down to fifty three, and then of course you got waiver claims. You got all kinds of ways to build your roster. So I'm curious to see what Nick and Miko are going to do. Having the number two priority spot on the waiver wire is going to be really interesting. My guess is there will be at least two that come in through that waiver process.
Speaker 7: One more thing on this just kind of as a whole, all ninety guys in the locker room were unless with the rarest of exceptions, all ninety of those guys, each one of them, when they were in little league basketball or little league football they played, or baseball or track or whatever soccer, they were the kid that everyone in the league was like.
Speaker 6: Dude, that guy's really good.
Speaker 1: Scared of ye.
Speaker 6: Every single one of them, you know.
Speaker 7: It was just like an absolute stud, clearly head and shoulders better than everybody in there. And some of them, like half of them are getting cut. Half of them are getting cut. So it's something I kind of think about every single time, you know, because I help coach, you know, I've got little kids. Every time I'm out at something and I see some kid that's good, I automatically think to myself, he's.
Speaker 6: Probably not going to do anything beyond college at.
Speaker 7: Most if that, And so it's just that's how rare these guys are. That's just something that it's like a good perspective.
Speaker 6: Yeah, oh my son, he had a triple. Well, you know what, it's probably might not even play.
Speaker 7: After junior so youth sports or anything.
Speaker 6: But it's kind of more to magnify.
Speaker 7: Yes, these guys are getting cut, but they are not bums.
Speaker 6: They are they were.
Speaker 7: Studs of studs back in the day, and it's just something that that's got to be tough to take for them in that regard, knowing that they've been pretty much the best. They were the best in college I mean, think about your your favorite college football team. If it was a really really good one, maybe eight or nine went to the NFL from it. I mean then that's like they might have won a national title if that happened.
Speaker 1: So yeah, I mean we talked about the two thousand and one Miami Hurricanes and I think I think it was forty five guys were drafted. Greatest college football team of all time. There's a pole that ended up on Twitter, so I think it was Fox Sports put up a pole and they put five teams they didn't put they put greatest tower, most talented college football teams of all time. They didn't put the two thousand and one Miami Hurricanes, and like you dope oversight, forty five players from that two thousand and one team ended up being drafted. And we talked about that that is talented team. That's forty five of eighty five scholarship players. So I mean there were forty that ended up not being drafted or not going to the NFL. So it's, you know it every level filters it out as you go through, and you know, you're right. I'm glad you brought it up because you're going to hear a lot of this, Oh that guy's a bomb, he can't play, and you know with some guys sitting at a keyboard that's never you know, played a day of football in his life. And so there's that perspective that gets lost for sure. And I understand it because you know, fans are you know short, you know, short for fanatics, So I get it. I understand it to a degree. But the truth of it is, there are going to be some really talented dudes that were all Americans, that were you know, award winners. Desmond King was a I think he was a Jim Thorpe award winner back in Iowa. So there are a lot of those guys that are going to be looking for opportunities. So yeah, there are no bums at all, not in that locker room and not in the NFL for sure.
Speaker 7: That's right. Okay, let's move on to this. CJ Stroud looked good. We've talked a lot about what we saw from him the other night. The ball placement outstanding, which is something that gets talked about over and over and over again, justifiably so through the touchdown pass. Zipped it in there at an Eco, loved it. Damian Pierce was money on that drive as well to help set it up. Four runs for twenty seven yards and then Stroud throws the thirteen yard or on third down to Schultzen, then the touchdown to Nico Collins. Bing, bang baba boom. You're done for the preseason. I like in between now and then, John, this is the Twitter question of the day. In between now and Sunday at noon Central time, Week one at Baltimore, What must CJ Stroud do?
Speaker 1: The basic premise that I or the basic thing that I would like to see from CJ is when he walks up to the line, how many of her times that he walks up to the line of scrimmage, that he's able to look across at that Ravens defense and have an idea of what he's going to see. And I'm not just talking about Oh, there's a Jabo, there's oh Way, and there's Matabique and oh Roque. Now I'm not talking about the personnel per se, and it's good personnel. I'm talking about Okay, I'm seeing them in. There's Nickel. You know, there's no model on Humphrey. I don't think he's gonna play in this one. This is the personnel grouping they have typically out of this group in the past, they like to play this coverage or they're this front. I want him to be able to get up to the line. Script a couple of things. Get out of the huddle with at least twenty to twenty five seconds left, Get them to the line scrimmage because Bobby slow It can help him in those five to ten seconds, because Bobby can sit there and tell them, Okay, here's the play, get the play out, get everybody to the line scrimmage, and Bobby can say, hey, they're in this coverage. He can he can help him with that up until there's fifteen seconds left, right, So if but CJ's got to have an idea of what he's going to see. Is it's gonna be cover three? Is this cover four? Is this Man is It? Man matches It? Lurk is Robert? All these different kind of coverages that you know that the Ravens will play. What are some of their giveaways? So live in that film room. Get to a point where you have a process down. Now he's got two weeks now, but get your process down for how you prepare for a team. What are the things that you want to know? What's the you know? What are their sub packaged groupings they like? You know? Are they have blitz team? Are they are they a zone team? Are they a man match team? They like play a lot of man they like fire zones? What are the things that I know? Mike McDonald, the coordinator for the Ravens, gonna show CJ some things he hasn't seen. But at least if he has a pretty solid understanding of their base schemes and a lot of the things their their pet plays, then you're then CJ is gonna be better off because there's gonna be something he sees in that game that's new for sure, absolutely new for sure. And so there's gonna be some time he's gonna go over to Bobby and go, I don't know, Bobby, we didn't see I haven't seen that it's gonna happen. Yeah, but if he can have a basic understanding that doesn't happen too often, then I think the Texans offense will be Okay. What will slow it down will be you know what, there's an unblocked guy because they thought it was so they had seen it before and they weren't, or you know how the rules, you know, a protection were supposed to apply, and then CJ gets hit fumble and you know the way you go. I think the biggest thing, though, is if he can get some help from Bobby during that game. But the biggest thing to me is just being mentally prepared physically. You mentioned it drew. His ballplacement's on point. I mean, you know, you and I have been talking about that since you know, May of twenty twenty two, going into his last year.
Speaker 7: I mean, he's one of the most accurate college football quarterbacks of all time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean it's his ballplace was incredible and so you want to give him time to be able to do that. So the game is gonna feel really really fast. But I think the best thing for CJ was going against that Dolphins defense. That was really good for his confidence. This is how fast it's gonna be, and probably even faster. So they got to put together a game plan that allows that to flourish. I think it is gonna sound crazy, but they gotta lets CJ on cork one long deep early, get some of that angst out. Maybe you hit it, maybe you don't, but just put the Ravens unnoticed that you're gonna send them all down the field a little bit.
Speaker 7: And and really I kind of think, don't you think from what we saw on that first series, the one that the Texan did not score, don't you think of showing that in the preseason?
Speaker 6: And I know, hey, it's preseason table.
Speaker 7: Whatever, but don't you think that is maybe in part a little bit of a message like, hey, this this club is in the bag, NFL just just be ready, you know.
Speaker 1: I think, yeah, absolutely, And the reason I talk about.
Speaker 7: Not gonna be able to stack the box like you did last year against Pierce.
Speaker 1: Yeah, honestly, honestly, I'm I'm not even really concerned about that, Dre. I think I think what happens in a game is players get so amped up in a game, especially quarterback, and then all of a sudden, as a quarterback, you know, coaches are like, hey, let's run this play, and you think it's an easy throw, but it's not because the quarterback is so amped up. The easiest throw that you can make as a quarterback is to take three steps and haul off and throw as far as you can because you get all that if you think about just throwing deep and you get all that anks kind of out of your body. I mean, even if you throw it ten yards over, you now have just like let all that stress and everything go, and now you can loosen up and start to make those throws. So I think it has kind of a three pronged approach. Really, you put the ravens on blast you, then maybe you hit it, maybe you don't, which would be great if you did. And then thirdly, you get all that ankst out as a quarterback, and now you can settle in and now you can make those throws. Sometimes when you ask the quarterback to make the first third down throw in third and eight. And now you're asking to throw into three guys, and a guy that's all amped up and juiced up is gonna throw it one hundred miles an hour probably high could be intercepted, but maybe you throw it deep, could be intercepted. You know, it's happened before. But really, what you're doing. If the guy does pick it off, it's a long punt. I guess it's kind of the worst thing that could happen. But the good kind of out weighs the bad for everybody involved in that to see them kind of open it up, and they did the other day, and I think that helps. CJ dropped it right in a damn bucket, so I do think that. But it's just the biggest thing is just knowing what you're looking at on the other side of the line of scrimmage, having an idea of what you could see, because post snap you might see some crazy stuff, but trust your eyes after the snap. Know what you're gonna see. Trust your eyes after the snap. So there's gotta be a lot of mental work that he's got to do between now and then, and then take that process and apply it sixteen more times throughout the year and that's gonna be tough as a rookie because there's gonna be a lot of things he sees, and I'm like, he walks over to the sidelines as he goes drawed, Bobby, I've never seen that before. So he's gonna have to come to grips with that, and hopefully he does it pretty quickly. Yep, hoping that CJ does that very quickly. All Right, we get back. We will go around the NFL. Plenty of things happening.
Speaker 3: Around the NFL.
Speaker 1: The Colts apparently made a trade request from the Dolphins that had everybody up in arms. We'll talk about that next on Texans All Access.
Speaker 4: Chickson's radio continues in a moment back to the show that keeps you plugged in with the Houston Texans.
Speaker 1: Yes, sir, we got a few minutes left here on a Wednesday edition of Texans All Access.
Speaker 3: Will be back on tomorrow night with the General.
Speaker 1: I'm sure he's got a lot to say with everything that has been going on and probably shares our our.
Speaker 3: Our concerned about it.
Speaker 1: Not so much concerned, but just how is this offensive line gonna come together? Kind Of got fingers crossed about juice Scruggs and Titus Howard.
Speaker 3: My gut tells me Titus yes. My gut tells me Titus yes.
Speaker 1: For Baltimore, and I hope I'm right, Juice, my gut tells me no. Just seeing him go off the field and limping that boy man, especially if it's a hamstring, and I could tell from experience with hamstrings they suck and they never never feel good in the year that you heard it. In fact, it bothers you the year after you heard it as well. A couple of things around the league that you know pretty interesting. A couple of Texans ended up, as you heard Drew and I talk about in the Lab, Desmid King, Christian kirkshy cup by the Texans. Kirk Gooh is going to end up with the Buffalo Bills practice squad, and Desmond King has added to the Pittsburgh Stealers fifty three man roster. A few other Texans ended up on practice squads. Mario Rodgers, who was released probably halfway through camp, he ended up in the Colts practice squad, amongst others. I like to see in Christian Covington he got back with the Chargers. Even the Chargers practice squad if you remember Cove from Rice and also early in the well the mid.
Speaker 3: Twenty tens, he was fantastic.
Speaker 1: Bailey Zappi is going to go back to the Patriots on the practice squad.
Speaker 3: He cleared waivers.
Speaker 1: So if you're worried, not like I was about Bailey Zappi and the Patriots only had one quarterback, well then now they've got two. It's just Bailey's on the practice squad, and you might have a practice squad elevation and we'll see what the Patriots do.
Speaker 3: But I don't know, you don't want talking about the Patriots anymore.
Speaker 1: Apparently the second team in on the Jonathan Taylor trade. Sweet steaks if you will, the Green Bay Packers.
Speaker 3: I had to when I heard that, I wha wait a second. They already got Aaron Jones and AJ Dillon.
Speaker 1: Now, look, Jonathan Taylor is better than those two, not by much over Aaron Jones. Aaron he and Aaron Jones are just different backs. But you have Jonathan Taylor and Aaron Jones. You could send AJ Dillon to the Colts and just let him be a hammer for them. And you have Aaron Jones and Jonathan Taylor and Green Bay to go on with Jordan Love and Holy smokes, but that didn't come to fruition. Now, the Colts apparently went on the offensive, which I don't blame them. Well, in Miami, Dolphins called and made some exploratory uh talks with the Colts about trading for Jonathan Taylor. The Colts are like, yeah, yeah, well we'll make a deal, throw Jalen Waddle in that deal. And the Dolphins are like, wrong number who this. They immediately got off the phone and said at that point, you know, look, the Colts are not serious about this.
Speaker 3: They're asking for Jaylen Wattle.
Speaker 1: Here's the thing, and I know a lot of people have kind of lampooned that today. If I'm the Colts, I probably did the same thing. If you're gonna trade Jonathan Taylor, you need to get something back in return, so ask for Jalen Waddle. What the Colts did, though, is bought themselves time. And this is what worries me. If they bought themselves time. And at that point, if Chris Ballard has time, and I've known Chris for a long time, and Chris went to Wisconsin, and so Jonathan Taylor, and so there's a connection there I think Jim Ersay being involved complicates things. But if they could somehow nudge Ersay out of it and just let Ballard deal with Taylor, they may be able to come to some sort of agreement. Now, the thing about it is Chris is not one to throw a lot of money at positions that aren't in the front seven or on the offensive line. He's gonna pay trenches guys, There's no question that's where he puts his money. But can he repair the relationship enough to get Taylor back after week four? Now, we won't play them until week eighteen, after week two, so we're not gonna see in week two. Yay, So they can figure it out between now and then. But apparently the Packers we went under Joha Taylor trade sweepstakes, and the Colts asked the Dolphins for Jayalen Waddle.
Speaker 3: Crazy stuff going on in the NFL.
Speaker 1: As we move on to week number one, coming up very well, we're eight days away from the opener, Lions at Chiefs.
Speaker 3: Eight days.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, I can't get here fast enough. A big thanks to Chris Santiago. That dude kicks ass. He is awesome. I love that guy and what he does for us, to Mark for being here, for Drew, for all of you for listening.
Speaker 3: We'll see you next time, everybody, and as always, go Texans.