Speaker 1: It's a mediat podcast. Welcome to Meet Eater Trivia, the only game show where conservation always wins. I'm your host, Spencer Newhart, and today we're joined by Brodie Henderson, Chester, Floyd Randall, Williams, Colin Fapma Tressa Croker, Max Barta, and Roman Snowbrick. Roman, this is your first time on the show. Tell folks what you do here at Meat Eater.
Speaker 2: I am the community coordinator, so I get to monitor our general inbox and answer questions all day.
Speaker 1: How many emails a day?
Speaker 2: I would say usually round one hundred.
Speaker 1: Man, it's a lot to keep up with.
Speaker 2: Social media dms keep me entertained too, especially Steve's.
Speaker 1: Yeah and Roman. I always announce on the podcast when you're sending a question to the show, send it to Trivia at the medeater dot com. But people still fail to listen and then they sell it. They send email to you instead, to which you need to forward to the trivia inbox. How often does that happen?
Speaker 2: Probably about every day?
Speaker 1: Yeah, every day. It used to be significantly worse, but our listeners have learned, and so I'm gonna I'm going to quit harping on where you need to send the email. I'll try to tell you just once or twice an episode instead of four or five times. But for Roman's sake, stop sending the emails there. Please send them to Trivia at the mediater dot com.
Speaker 3: And people should know that Roman's the man. Go on, He's just the man.
Speaker 1: Oh okay, yeah, that's right. Roman is in a Kenyan Noble commercial that's been airing for about the last six months.
Speaker 4: Uh huh.
Speaker 1: It shows him building out his very own storage system and his pickup riding mountain bikes camping.
Speaker 2: Right, so, my buddy's grandpa actually built that for me. I just you said you should continue lying to people built it.
Speaker 1: Roman de Man. Now, this is a ten round quiz show with questions from meat Eater's four verticals, which are hunting, fishing, conservation, and cooking, and there is a prize. Meat Eater will donate five hundred dollars to the conservation organization of the winners choosing for the start of the week. This week, we're looking at the number one hundred and sixty. That's how many hours a professional fact checker spent on the board game to ensure that all of the questions are clear. And accurate. This fact checker has edited best selling books and award winning magazines and put me through the ringer. I'll fill my computers going wild here. Okay, we're back. Sorry, you just want me to power through.
Speaker 5: If that's okay with you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, wonderful. This fact checker has edited best selling books and award winning magazines and put me through the ringer so that we could create the best product possible. And as we'll discuss in a little bit, sometimes I need that second set of eyes.
Speaker 6: I was just gonna ask, why don't you have him start doing a little fact checking before these games?
Speaker 1: Yeah, well it's a her, Brody. Sorry, sorry, it's a her. She costs money, so that's.
Speaker 7: Why the product possible.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you're there. There you go. You're not getting quite the best product possible with this show, but close to it. We're just one fact checker short. Now here's our zero percenter question of the week, which tests how much knowledge players have retained from previous shows. This question was from episode four thirty three. The topic was conservation, and nobody got it right. What Great Lake City created an ecological disaster in nineteen eighty six when they released one point five million balloons in an attempt to set a world record.
Speaker 8: Cleveland.
Speaker 1: Cleveland is right, that's your home state, Randall, what year were you born?
Speaker 8: Nineteen eighty six?
Speaker 1: Oh? Okay, So do you have like any childhood memories about people talking about that event going down?
Speaker 4: None?
Speaker 8: I learned of it first at this very table.
Speaker 1: Really, yeah, you should. You should go home and ask folks.
Speaker 8: Was a transplant to Ohio though, so I arrived in ninety four outside of DC northern Virginia.
Speaker 7: Cleveland's home to a lot of ecological disasters.
Speaker 1: That a correct answer was Cleveland. The incorrect answers given were Toledo, Chicago, and Green Bay. And we have a lot of housekeeping to get to. Because listeners took issue with three questions from episode four to seventy one, some of their corrections were warranted and some of them were not. Let's start with question five from that game, which was quote, this national park in Virginia is the closest national park to Washington, d C. The correct answer was Shanandoah, but about a dozen listeners wrote in saying this was wrong. They were arguing on behalf of answers like Great Falls Park, Manassas National Battlefield, Prince William Forest Park and Arlington Cemetery. Now, all of these places are managed by the Park Service, but that doesn't make them one of the country's sixty three national parks. And if you were using that logic, then you'd have to consider places like the Washington Monument, the National Mall, and the White House itself, which all sit on property that are owned by the National Park Service. So Shenandoah is staying correct.
Speaker 8: Fantastic.
Speaker 1: Next up is question six, which was quote, this medication which Donald Trump said cured as COVID nineteen can be used to kill ticks that live on moose. The correct answer is ivermectin, but the question itself was inaccurate. Here's why Donald Trump didn't take ivermecton. The Washington Post article I was referencing for that question said that quote, Donald Trump's supporters are crediting ivermectin with curing COVID nineteen. But I made an error in saying that Donald Trump himself took it, which was wrong. So we're throwing that question out because of my mistake. And finally we'll talk about question seven, which was quote the official Prime meridian, which separates the hemispheres and establishes time zones is located in this country. The correct answer was England, but about two dozen listeners wrote in saying this was incomplete, and they were right. Here's why it was flawed. Here's why it was flawed, and we're throwing out the question. As many listeners pointed out, the way it was worded would also allow for answers like France, Spain, Algeria, Ghana and Moore. Now I remind you that this question was sent by Steve, with whom I argued that it was a bad question, but he insisted otherwise. So all this to say, All of this is to say that I get things wrong, and I hate it when I get things wrong. And that's why we hired the independent fact checker for the board game. Her one hundred and sixty hour spent critiquing my questions were as valuable as our listeners who do the same.
Speaker 7: Now, when you say you throw a question out, are you going back to change the results of those games?
Speaker 1: And it didn't change the result of that game, Well, it's specific.
Speaker 8: It would change the result of the game if you didn't throw out the question that I got right. And he threw out the question and Seth got right.
Speaker 1: Look at the memory on you ran. Oh yeah, because I I had to go back to look at this, and that's exact surprise.
Speaker 5: Remembers every single I remember.
Speaker 8: I remember this game very well. Yeah, it was one of many last minute catastrophes on my recent record.
Speaker 3: You probably remember all the ones I get wrong too.
Speaker 8: I do remember those.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Now, Brody, you asked why we don't have the fact checker for this game. Our listeners are the fact checker. They all, all of them do the fact checking for me. It's a fault flawed process when it happens.
Speaker 7: Played a bit of a delay.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so I'll just count on them to keep me on my toes. Now, the Shelby Index for today's round is a four, so our winners should get eight correct answers. And with that we're onto the game of trivia. Play the drop, Phil, Look, I need to know what I stand and win everything. Just tend to win everything.
Speaker 7: Game.
Speaker 1: On Suckers Question one, the topic is mountain Men. This will be multiple choice and this first great question comes to us via Chad Benson. Country artist Johnny Horton wrote a song in nineteen sixty dedicated to this mountain man. Is it Jim Bridger, Hugh Glass, Grizzly Adams or John Colter? Can we hear the song after this? I will play the song for you for now, though you need to tell me. Country artist Johnny Horton wrote a song in nineteen sixty dedicated to this mountain man. Choices are Jim Bridger, Hugh Glass, Grizzly Adams, John Colter Chester.
Speaker 8: Can I trouble you for?
Speaker 4: No? You don't?
Speaker 2: You don't get a new marker?
Speaker 8: Oh?
Speaker 1: Can we help out? Radio Mars right here? Nothing here? Does anybody know this? Or is everybody guessing?
Speaker 3: Gues for me?
Speaker 1: Guess what a song it is?
Speaker 7: Contry researching that that next audiobook? Yet Randall?
Speaker 1: Not yet? This could be part of part of your research. Country artist Johnny Horton wrote a song in nineteen sixty dedicated to this mountain man. Jim Bridger, Hugh Glass, Grizzly Adams, John Colter, Does everybody have an answer? Go ahead and reveal your answers. We have Colin saying, John Colter, Roman saying, Grizzly Adams, Tressa saying John Colter, Max saying, Grizzly Adams, Randall saying Grizzly Adams Chester saying John Colter Brody sang John Colter. Nobody got it. The correct answer was Jim Bridger. That song was on the album Johnny Horton Makes History. Here is one minute of it.
Speaker 7: Wait before we.
Speaker 6: Play this, Spencer, yep, can you explain to these people who Grizzly Adams is.
Speaker 1: No? Go ahead? And he like he had a grizzly that he trained, right, but he spent some time.
Speaker 6: Like some seven Mountain TACKI seventies television show.
Speaker 7: Was he even a mountain man?
Speaker 1: He was a real mountain was yeah? And he like Guyana he was around and then did not.
Speaker 7: Really I thought it was all fakes.
Speaker 1: And then I think post mountain man era is when he trained a grizzly that he entertained folks with.
Speaker 7: Didn't know that learned something new every day.
Speaker 1: Phil take it away.
Speaker 4: He spoke with General Custer and said, listen, yellow Hair, the Sioux Air regread nation. So treat them fair and square, sitting on their war council. Don't laugh away their pride. But Custer didn't listen that little big horn Custardye last day, as long as there's a USA don't let his memory.
Speaker 1: He turned up a little phil if we would have been here, if it worked for men like to.
Speaker 8: So just a concept album of people making history.
Speaker 1: He explains history. What's the Battle of New Orleans? I feel like that's maybe the most famous song from the album. M that's that's Johnny Horton, and it's him telling you about a historical lesson.
Speaker 7: He was a famous artist at the time.
Speaker 1: Sure, I think so. I'm just asking Chester if you played any Johnny Horton ever.
Speaker 3: I have not, But I was just gonna say, maybe I go home and give that a pick.
Speaker 4: Oh.
Speaker 1: Question two?
Speaker 7: You know what, that would be a great cover because nobody would know where.
Speaker 8: Yeah, yeah, I think.
Speaker 3: He wrote it, Jack Chester, You would think I wrote it again.
Speaker 1: Question two? The topic is gear r e I by national headlines in twenty twenty two when they announced that they'd never be open on this day again again. Now, I'm not looking for like a day of the week, Like if this question was about Chick fil a, right, the answer would be Sunday. But it's not that kind of question. ARII made national headlines in twenty twenty two when they announced that they'd never be open on this day again, confident, Brody and Randall and Chester. Rest of the room is thinking. Topic is gear. ARII made national headlines in twenty twenty two when they announced that they'd never be open on this day again. Rody, do you know this one?
Speaker 7: We're gonna find out?
Speaker 1: I think so. Like we're waiting on this side of the table. Tress is ready with her answer. Colin Romo, Colin Roman, Max or not? Is everybody good?
Speaker 8: I think so?
Speaker 1: Go ahead and RecA fail your answers. We have Colin saying ourbor day, Roman saying earth Day, Tresa saying fourth of July, Max saying earth Day, Randall's saying Black Friday, Chester saying Christmas, Brody saying Thanksgiving. The correct answer is Black Friday. Randall got it right. ARII first decided in twenty fifteen that they wouldn't be open on Black Friday. This became an annual announcement until twenty twenty two, when they officially said they'd never open on Black Friday again. Instead, they called it an opt out side day, encouraging their employees to spend time with friends and family outdoors.
Speaker 7: And hop on the internet and buy some shit.
Speaker 1: That question three, the topic is fishing. The International Eel Pout Festival was held for forty consecutive years on Leech Lake in this state. The whole room is confident, and except for Tresa, here's the question again. The International Eel Pout Festival was held for forty consecutive years on Leech Lake in this state. Brody, what's the matter? It's too easy? Too easy? I love it.
Speaker 3: You have you been there to this event?
Speaker 7: Not saying quick answers?
Speaker 1: Is everybody ready? Go ahead and reveal your answers. We have Colin saying Minnesota, Roman saying Minnesota, Tresa saying Michigan. The rest of the room says Minnesota. They got it. The correct answer was Minnesota. The International Eel Pout Festival was an annual gathering in Walker, Minnesota, from nineteen seventy nine to twenty nineteen. It's taken a bit of a hiatus, but rumors are swirling that the event might return in twenty twenty four. The festival attracted a crowd of ten thousand visitors each year who showed up to part party and fish max. What do you know about the International Eel Pout Festival. It's basically a straight up party fishing is like a side activity.
Speaker 2: Fish is like a side gig, and there's thousands and thousands of people on the ice at once, and it's definitely a sight to see.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I think they shut it down because it became like maybe too much of a party and people are leaving too much of a mess. Yeah, it'll come back like.
Speaker 2: A music festival, but for.
Speaker 1: They have, Yeah, pretty much. Sure, there's a lot of music festival.
Speaker 3: Sounds like Sturgey spearing on like Winnepego does.
Speaker 1: Sound like that question? The topic was hunting. This is our listener question of the Week, which was won by Sam Crowthers for sending this great question. Sam is going to get a book signed by Steve. This animal that's native to the Middle East has been nicknamed the devil bird by hunters. Topic is hunting. This animal that's native to the Middle East has been nicknamed the devil bird by hunters. We have a confident Brody and Randall. The rest of the room not so much. Brody, do you know this one? Randal? Do you know this one?
Speaker 8: I believe so.
Speaker 1: This animal that's native to the Middle East has been nicknamed the devil bird by hunters. Now Brody didn't like, how easy that last one is?
Speaker 7: Do you think this one's too easy?
Speaker 1: Also? Okay, well two of you have come up with answers. Do you think our listeners from say, Georgia or Oklahoma would know where leech Lake is?
Speaker 7: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Come on, no, not as obvious, not as it's not as obvious as you're saying.
Speaker 6: And leech Lake, Like, I feel like there's a lot of info there, and like, forget it.
Speaker 1: A few more folks coming up with an answers. Max, do you have this one right? I don't know.
Speaker 3: I'm thinking about the guys that.
Speaker 1: Right horses And Okay, this animal that's native to the Middle East has been nicknamed the devil bird by hunters. Is everybody ready go ahead and reveal your answers? With Colin saying raven, Romans saying raven, Tressa saying road runner, Max saying golden eagle, Randall's saying chucker, Chester's saying turkey vulture, Brody saying chucker. The correct answer is chucker. Brody and Randall got it. I was thinking of those guys that like use the eagles to hunt.
Speaker 7: Falconers nor East.
Speaker 6: They live in like super steep, rocky terrain, Chucker were given this nickname.
Speaker 7: Sure, famous chucker hunter Chucker.
Speaker 1: We're given this nickname because of what a hellish chase it is to kill one. They spend most of their time in steep, rocky country that resembles their native range. Chucker were introduced to the US from Pakistan in eighteen ninety three.
Speaker 6: Spencer, I just thought it was too easy because Randall got it right, okay, and nobody else got right.
Speaker 8: I liked that one because I got it right and I learned something.
Speaker 1: Oh, would you let I didn't know the origins?
Speaker 8: Yeah, bird, So Spencer, I appreciate that.
Speaker 1: And Brody was right. They live in such hellish country.
Speaker 3: We're heavenly there. You know who you are.
Speaker 1: Question five? Wow? Question five, the topic is cooking. There's a divine little voice there that said, wow, is that phil? Is that you know?
Speaker 4: Okay?
Speaker 1: Question five? The topic is cooking. According to Southern Living magazine, the role of this specific ingredient is the main difference between gumbo and jumbalaya. According to Southern Living magazine, the role of this specific ingredient is the main difference between gumbo and jumbalaya. Here are so other ignorance is showing the room is very slow to answer. They know where Leech Lake is, but they don't know the difference between gumbo and jumbalaya. Quick answer from Chester. But oh, but he's second guessing it. I've never eaten neither of them. Neither one, Tresa.
Speaker 6: Okay, Spencer, this is one that's just worded like, oh, but very very difficult.
Speaker 1: I'll tell you how Southern Living magazine says. They say, the main difference between gumbo and jumbalaya is so this this is worded like how they word it, Phil, what's the matter?
Speaker 5: No, I don't want to be mean, but I just saw Chester's board and I thought it was funny.
Speaker 7: Again, Bill, that in fact is mean.
Speaker 3: I mean it is an ingredient. I think they use it in it.
Speaker 7: According to Southern Living man their version, the.
Speaker 1: Role of this specific ingredient is the main difference between gumbo and jumbalaya. I don't have the quote in front of me, Brody, but the way they word it is they say, the main difference between gumbo and jambalaya is and it's the use of this ingredient. What do you got, Randall?
Speaker 7: Well, so is it the use of the y it's like the ingredients. Is it the role of the ingredient the you like, it's.
Speaker 1: Just the answer of this question will be the ingredient.
Speaker 6: That's what I'm looking one ingredient is this, Like you have an ingredient that is in gumbo that's not in jumbalaya or vice versa.
Speaker 1: Not telling you that part. I'm telling you the role of this ingredient.
Speaker 2: Figure out the difference.
Speaker 7: So are you asking for the role of this ingredient?
Speaker 1: Your answer should be an ingredient, just an ingredient. If you thought the answer was mountain dew, you would write mountain dew.
Speaker 7: The question flaw. It's completely flawed. Way you got it.
Speaker 5: So Brodie, You're you're saying, like, let's just say it's apples, Like like you're saying, well, the apples, the role of the apple would be different. And the two dishes, like in one it's like it's stewed for two hours and the other one it's sprinkled on top. Like that's kind of what you're getting at, Like because you're saying the role versus the presence of the ingredient.
Speaker 6: Sure, I guess like it's just like very hard to get at it, Like the way it's worded, I feel like, m you take it up a Southern Living magazine?
Speaker 4: Do they.
Speaker 1: Does everybody have any o?
Speaker 7: You've had a lot of questions from Southern Living.
Speaker 1: I feel like that's not true. Maybe here and there? All right, this is some northern ignorance again. Is everybody ready? Brody?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Go what do you got? Chester?
Speaker 3: Oh, just can say you throw this ingredient in there and it plays a role in making it one or the other.
Speaker 1: Go ahead and reveal your answers with Colin saying flour, Roman saying catfish dressed, the saying sausage, Max saying shrimp, Randall is saying and Duley Chest you're saying sausage, Brody saying water. Nobody got it? The correct answer is rice. Both dishes have Creole and Cajun roots and similar ingredients. Gumbo is served with rice that's cooked separately, while jumbalaya contains rice that's cooked in the same pot. Learn how to cook each of them. Check out Danielle Pruitz and ingredient and Riga Matany's Venison sausage and shrimp jumbal Iye recipe on the meat eater dot com.
Speaker 7: Rice is not an ingredient in gumbo. You make gumbo, then you serve it over rice.
Speaker 1: I think the question was fine, so you're no.
Speaker 4: Way.
Speaker 7: Well the good news is an ingredient in jumble. Aye, it's not an ingredient in gumbo.
Speaker 1: The good news. Nobody got it right, So we're not taking anything away from Brody. If it is flawed.
Speaker 7: I never have put down rice because it's not an ingredient in gumbo.
Speaker 1: It's because you don't know the difference between gumbo and jumble one.
Speaker 7: No, it's not an ingredient in gumbo, is not Phil.
Speaker 1: We are halfway through our game of trivia, give us a square board update bad.
Speaker 5: We've got Tresa with zero points on the board, Roman, Colin, and Chester and Max all have one point a piece, Brody has two, and Randall is in first place with three points.
Speaker 3: There's still a chance there is, but this is the Randall and Brody show.
Speaker 1: So thanks for inviting us. Spencer, God, that one's gonna stay with me.
Speaker 8: Spencer Brody's one question head do you match?
Speaker 1: Don't say I need another Minnesota question? Question six. The topic is wildlife. This next great question comes to is via Ryan McCarty. This state's state land man is a white tail, state water mammal is a dolphin, state fish is a large mouth. State waterfowl is a wood duck. And state flower is a magnolia. You need to tell me what state this is. State Land mammal is a whitetail, State water mammal is a dolphin, state fish is a large mouth. State waterfowl is a wood duck. State flower is a magnolia. Max with the quickest answer, Max, do you know this one?
Speaker 4: Uh?
Speaker 2: No, But I'm putting pieces together.
Speaker 1: Okay, I think I got it. In the meantime, I'm going to try to find Brody. This quote from Southern Living magazine.
Speaker 6: I don't care, honestly, Okay. When you make gumbo, rice is not an ingredient. You make the rice separately from the gumbo, then you put the gumbo on it.
Speaker 7: You could eat gumbo with.
Speaker 2: You're talking like when you make spaghetti, you make the noodles.
Speaker 7: Send No, No, you can make a pot of.
Speaker 1: Rice.
Speaker 7: It's still gumbo.
Speaker 1: Here here's the quote from the magazine. The main difference between the two is the role of the rice, which is integral in both. Gumbo is served with rice that's cooked separately but rice goes into the jumbalaya pot.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you just I'm kind of on team Brody here. The rice is optional in gumbo. You don't like you have it on the side, or you don't have it at all, Like it's not really any part of the dish.
Speaker 1: Moving on, here's here's this question one more time. This state state land mammal is a white tail, state water mammal is a dolphin, state fish is a large mouth, state waterfunnel is a wood duck, and state flour is a magnolia. Does everybody have an answer?
Speaker 3: I'm pretty sure I know a state where there's all those, So put that down.
Speaker 1: Go ahead and reveal your answers. We have Colin saying Louisiana, Roman saying Florida, Tresa saying Texas, Max saying Florida, Randall saying Louisiana, Chester saying Florida, Brody saying Georgia. Nobody got it correct. Answer is Mississippi. One of the biggest hints from that list was the state flower being named magnolia, because Mississippi is known as the Magnolia state and has a magnolia on their flag. Some other official symbols are the state insect as a honeybee, reptile as a gator, state shell as an oyster, and state bird as a mocking bird. Question seven. We have a couple zero percenters in this episode handful company that just boom bad on me. Question seven, the topic is camping. What lemon grass oil is often turned into candles and burned in lanterns as a way to keep away bugs? Half the room is very commonfident What lemon grass oil is often turned into candles and burned in lanterns as a way to keep away bugs. Six questions through this episode, I've not done a very good job a minute had the flawed Southern Living question. We have a couple of zero percenters, which isn't.
Speaker 7: Nice, Tom, but you know you could be doing a better job.
Speaker 1: Listen, I'll admit this hasn't been great. Too many zero percenters the flawed Southern Living question. Will see the other room does with this one.
Speaker 8: I think the benchmark for a good game of trivia is who wins, and so we haven't gotten to that point.
Speaker 1: So yeah, what where would it rank if like tressa one for example?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 8: That would be fabulous the best episode?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 8: Okay, I I loved the episode where Max one, that was a great episode.
Speaker 5: That was great.
Speaker 1: Ye all, I'm not gonna witness the mosquito question.
Speaker 8: There is the Headwaters of the Mississippi question. That was a great episode.
Speaker 7: Randal, what is wrong with you? Do you remember this?
Speaker 5: I thought I've made that clear.
Speaker 1: Here's the question one more time. The topic is camping. What lemon grass oil is often turned into candles and burned in lanterns as a way to keep away bugs. As everybody ready, I spelt it wrong, but go ahead and reveal your answers. We have Colin without an answer, Rollman without an answer, and we have Tresa and Max and Randall all saying citronella. Chester, do you have an answer? Chester without an answer? Brody saying citronella. They got it. The correct answer is citronella. If you did want to spell it is c t ro O n e lll A. Citronella oil is also common in soaps, perfumes, and lotions. It's been registered as an insect repellent in the United States since nineteen forty eight. Although it does determine skos, science has shown that it's not very effective in candle form. One study from twenty seventeen said, a citronella candle's protection is no better than no protection at all.
Speaker 5: Hey Max, can you play your mic cable back in really quick?
Speaker 1: Please?
Speaker 5: Microphone cable it popped out.
Speaker 1: It's a you got fuzzy fir second.
Speaker 4: Thank you.
Speaker 1: Question eight the topic is phishing. What is the anatomical name for a fish's tailfin? What is the anatomical name for a fish's tail fin?
Speaker 8: Context would tell me you're not looking for tailfin.
Speaker 1: Tailfin would be incorrect. Looking for the other name for a tailfin coould be its anatomical name. What is the anatomical name for a fish's tail should named about four others?
Speaker 6: Okay, yeah, you just gotta start listing them in your head and hopefully come up with it.
Speaker 1: Confident that the room is leaking confidence. At this point, no one looks sure.
Speaker 2: What was the Shelby index A four?
Speaker 1: This is question eight. We will go to scoreboard update from Phil after this. What is the anatomical name for a fish's tail fin? Brody? How do you feel about your answer?
Speaker 7: Man? I don't know, not good. Got a chance?
Speaker 1: Okay, I think you're one of the only people to come up with an answer. Tresta do you have an answer? Okay, Randall, do you have a guess? I have some fins, but I don't have this one.
Speaker 7: Remember that Jimmy Buffett song Finns.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's a great song about a girl getting hit on too much in a bar or in a go.
Speaker 7: Jimmy Buffett, he liked to angle.
Speaker 1: He loved Montana. Who did Some people say that Cheeseburger in Paradise was about Paradise Valley, and then I think he set the record straight. I don't know, maybe like fifteen years ago, and said, I think it was about being in the Caribbean and finally finding a place that sold a burger that was beef instead of whatever mystery meat or horse they had.
Speaker 7: I don't think Jimmy Buffett was eating a lot of horse burger, Spencer.
Speaker 1: That's why it was a cheeseburger in Paradise when he found a beef patty somewhere.
Speaker 7: Sometime in the Caribbean.
Speaker 1: Myself, did you struggle to find beef patties?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 7: But you know, maybe back in the day horse was a thing.
Speaker 1: Does everyone have an answer for the anatomical name for a fish's tailfin? Ready, go ahead and reveal your answers. We have Colin without an answer, without an answer, Tress is saying at a pose, Max saying which one Dorsal, Randall without an answer, Chester without an answer, Brody saying coddle. Brody got it correct answer. It was coddle.
Speaker 8: That was one of the ones I was thinking of and ruled out.
Speaker 1: Coddle is derived from a Latin word that means quote near the tail. Some of the ways that coddle fins can be categorized are rounded like snakehead, forked like whitefish, truncated like salmon, or lunate like tuna.
Speaker 7: That was a great question.
Speaker 4: Every phil.
Speaker 1: We have two questions left. Where does the scoreboard stand?
Speaker 5: Well, we've got Tresa, Roman, and Colin and Chester. They've all been eliminated from the game. I've got one point a piece. Max is hanging on he's got two, and then tied up in first place a Randall and Brody with four points.
Speaker 8: Now I'm trying to think of the name for the finn that I thought was the caudal fin.
Speaker 1: I don't know the tail fin. Question nine the topic is public lands. This next great question comes to us via Tyler Skaggs. What state is home? To Mammoth Cave National Park in Lake Cumberland State Park? Confident? Randall and Brody? What state is home to Mammoth Cave National Park and Lake Cumberland State Park? Tressa Roman in college have not picked up their boards? Max? Do you know this one? No? Okay, Brody you know this? Randall, you know this?
Speaker 4: I do.
Speaker 1: Rest of the room not so sure. What state is home to Mammoth Cave National Park in Lake Cumberland State Park? Chester? How do you feel about your answer?
Speaker 3: I'm trying to get my marker to work. Oh okay, And while I'm doing that, I'm thinking.
Speaker 1: It might be time to break out the new markers. We've had a few listeners now that Unsolicited have sent us markers. Every now and then we start with a new package. We've had a lot of marker complaints lately.
Speaker 8: Those those skinny black markers are just not not doing the job.
Speaker 1: Okay, What state is home to Mammoth Cave National Park in Lake Cumberland State Park?
Speaker 7: Doesn't got a monument and budget for markers?
Speaker 4: Or did that?
Speaker 7: Fact checkers beat up all your budget?
Speaker 1: All of our budget. That's why our listeners have to donate them to us. It's everybody ready, go ahead and reveal your answers. We have Colins saying Tennessee, Roman saying California, Tresa saying Nevada, Max saying Virginia, Randall saying Kentucky, Chester saying Kentucky, Brody saying Kentucky. They got it. The correct answer is Kentucky. Mammoth Cave is the longest cave system in the world. The park is fifty two thousand acres with four hundred and twenty six miles of cave passageways. Several bodies of ancient and humans have been discovered in the cave, some of which were buried there and others that died of accidents. Phil we have one question left. Do we have Randall and Brody tied with five?
Speaker 5: That's right, and they're the only two left in the game.
Speaker 1: Question ten. The topic is cooking. Name one of the two most popular wood pellet flavors according to Bear Mountain Barbecue.
Speaker 3: Hmmm.
Speaker 1: Bear Mountain Barbecue is a pellet distributor. This is from them. They said that these are the two most popular wood pellet flavors. You need to name one of them. Very confident Max and Colin. Colin do you use pellet grills a lot. I could ask a question, but I feel like i'd just be oh myself. It's not gonna be some weird answer like premium signature select pellets.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I know. Okay, there's still a question I want to ask, but I can't.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 8: Oh that's good.
Speaker 1: Mhm, Colin, one is it one word? I'm not gonna tell you. Can you spell it?
Speaker 8: Name?
Speaker 1: One of the two most popular pellet flavors.
Speaker 2: I'm trying to think of the answer you're thinking of.
Speaker 1: Then it is? Everybody ready, Yes, go ahead and reveal your answers. Colin saying Cherry, Romans saying Oh, tress Is saying Apple, Max saying, Hickory, Randall saying Mosquite Chester saying Hickory Brody saying Hickory Brody, and Randall. One of you is right, of you is wrong. The correct answers are Apple and Hickory, making Brody our winner with six correct answers. These two flavors are also the top sellers at places like Home Depot, and according to Camp Chef, Hickory produces a robust aroma that's perfect for red meat, white meat, and pork, and Apple has a subtle fruity flavor that's ideal for white meat, pork, vegetables and baked goods. Brody, what was your hang up on that question?
Speaker 7: Nothing? I just wanted like I was wondering if maybe it was some blend or something.
Speaker 1: Don't worry about it's stupid.
Speaker 7: But you know, we just finished up a book, Spencer.
Speaker 6: Okay, all this stuff all different kinds of outdoor cooking methods.
Speaker 1: Okay, what's in your pellet grill right now? What kind of pellets you think?
Speaker 6: I usually don't go with the heavy stuff, man, I like the mild, like apple, cherry, stuff like that.
Speaker 1: When does that book come.
Speaker 6: Out next spring?
Speaker 1: I think next May?
Speaker 7: Meat Eat or Outdoor Cookbook would be good.
Speaker 1: So does it talk about pellet grills or is it likely Smoker's pellet grills grills his charcoal grills? Very good?
Speaker 3: All that stuff?
Speaker 1: Brody wins with six correct answers, Brody, where is the five hundred dollars donation from Meat Eater going to go?
Speaker 7: There's a lot of folks out there in the Elk Woods right now, so let's do Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation.
Speaker 1: Have you been out in the Elk Woods yet?
Speaker 6: I was out in the grouse woods near where there's where some lk. That guy haven't chased elk around yet. The grouse hunt was great, But yeah, arimf's great. They make a lot of land acquisitions which are either preserved in perpe duty they'll never be developed. In a lot of cases those lands are huntable too, not all of them, but in many cases.
Speaker 1: So yeah, and they benefit things besides just elscher. I know some of the properties that have opened in my home state of South Dakota. I've hunted white tails on They're so good for everything. That's it for this episode of Meat Eater Trivia. Join us next time for more of the only game show with conservation always wins.
Speaker 7: Thanks Bencer, nice word, Brody.