Speaker 1: Come Again, a podcast by Honey German.
Speaker 2: In this episode, we're sitting down with Mofa, an artist who's already making some serious waves in the music scene. Although he's a newcomer, he's already locked down some major collaborations with artists such as Carol Gi and Manuel durisso tapping to hear all about his journey, the collapse, and what's next for the rising star being Benito my guy, Mofa. Man, I'm so excited to be sitting here with you. You know when I heard about you and I was just like, I love what he's doing. I love your vibe, I love the swag. We're gonna have to get a picture that watch when we get off. I'm not trying to put you on a spot or anything, but wow, this watch is something different.
Speaker 3: Freshen the muff. I was listening to that song.
Speaker 1: The name Mofa say that.
Speaker 3: So I was playing the song and they walked in. They're like, why are you playing that song?
Speaker 2: I said, I know why I'm playing that social Chris Brown?
Speaker 3: Were you Chris Brown fan?
Speaker 1: Growing up? I'm a super Chris Brown fan.
Speaker 3: Still He's like top okay, you know, It's like, look the personal to the personal persona not withing Lok the artists versus the regular person.
Speaker 2: But Chris Brown is one of the best artists to have exceeded existed in our generation.
Speaker 3: I can take you that much.
Speaker 1: Was at R and B hip hop.
Speaker 2: Don't listen, it's Michael Jackson Chris Brown. Come on with the dancing, don't see. Chris Brown is not close to MG when it comes to dancing, So.
Speaker 1: I think that like they're the same when it comes to dancing.
Speaker 3: From do like there's I feel like that's definitely Chris Brown's father is Michael Jackson when it not realistically, but I mean like when it comes to like artistry and performance and stage presence, I feel like he takes a lot from him, and he's you know, he's not shy to say that he takes a lot from him. Now talk to me. Where were you born?
Speaker 1: I was born in San Juan, Puerto Rico. Yeah, yeah, since I can't remember. My my mom is from Agua, my dad is from Isabela, but my biological family is from Brazil and.
Speaker 3: Better bean down inside and oh my god, you got all my favorite roots, so you have all the bases covered from me Okay, I was looking at your Instagram to document. Yeah those are your daughter parents, your grandparents, and.
Speaker 1: It's a song. Mean you said double my father okay tells second building and miss powers so up adopted.
Speaker 3: S my period.
Speaker 1: Yeah period.
Speaker 3: Let's say you're going to look at your instagram. Yeah those were the ones. I'm like you. I was like, you know, okay, seeing playing necessary con my.
Speaker 1: Okay, would you still yeah, look, you're a baby, baby, your baby.
Speaker 3: But sometimes you know, people become famous.
Speaker 2: Yeah sure, and they're like, oh I'm moving now, I'm getting my own apartment. I don't want nobody telling.
Speaker 3: Me what to do. So that's of you that you still live with them.
Speaker 1: You want to that? I mean like a central part of Puerto Rico, So if I move, it doesn't make no sense not.
Speaker 3: To be ready making you the Porto Joe.
Speaker 1: I love the Cholic sal okay, you love the Cholic like in the central level, like it's not gonna make no sense, no, yeah, yeah, yeah, it's a good spot, even in the young theo. So may.
Speaker 3: You're loyal.
Speaker 1: Yeah you're not to be a loyal person, you know, one of.
Speaker 3: These spoiled kids. That's like, I'm out of here Bro has been bothering me too long.
Speaker 1: My mama's boy, your mama, Yeah, what name? My mom's name is Lulu Temple. She she loves no no am so your handle Peru conta Rica.
Speaker 2: He never see that, said lod Musica full time was the first time that you said in school and you said this not for me?
Speaker 3: What was it? What was it about sitting in.
Speaker 2: That in that class that made you realize you had to take music to the next.
Speaker 1: Album just then you will see that. Yeah, Core and Andoco Perro don't play with.
Speaker 3: Anyway pro P.
Speaker 1: Quadri. I was like, I I sat down on my chair and I was like, what am I doing here? This not for me? Like I'm done, I'm done. And then like three weeks later, the pandemic started, so everything shut down. Yeah, and then my parents told me like, okay, Jose, uh, the world has stopped, has stopped, So what do you want to do? I know you love music. Was look at musica so amazing set up, Yes you can record, And I was like, okay, well not let's go.
Speaker 3: You're mama's boy. All that good?
Speaker 4: And you loyal?
Speaker 5: Man.
Speaker 1: I love my parents. I love my parents.
Speaker 3: Your parents? Had you doing music since you were early like studying music.
Speaker 1: Yeah, ten.
Speaker 3: What did they say, like you're going to go to this special school? Did they see something in you like a gift, like a musical inclination?
Speaker 1: A teacher saw some thinking me, She said to my parents like, Okay, that kid has has talent, he has a voice.
Speaker 5: You need to take him to that because there was a class in my in my school like that wasn't like my I got that from you. You know you're a happy person.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, okay, don't miss him.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's crazy that you say that because so many people have sat here and said it was an educator or a teacher that either took them to an audition or told them to do this. It shows how important, you know, teachers are, and you know we don't celebrate them enough. And look how this teacher changed the course.
Speaker 3: Of your life.
Speaker 1: Shout out to.
Speaker 3: Must be so proud of you. Yeah, she's probably looking at you like that's my guy, that's my boy.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, yeah, you've been filtable my wise pro. Yeah yeah, child was a tro child, classic was a t child pro in previous on me, dam even though pro she wasn't a hater.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yes, the little boys a pen in the ass, but he can think, so take him there. That's what's up. So your parents took you how long were you in school?
Speaker 2: Like studying music and being trained because I saw that you're a pianist, like you learned how to play the piano. That this all happened before you even graduated high school.
Speaker 1: Yeah, quinto musica then finalist the high school musica bought like in a funny way like yeah, but don't, I don't. Okay, let's do it. It's over. But solid forma.
Speaker 3: That's what's up.
Speaker 1: I love that.
Speaker 2: I'm already like, I already love your parents because you know, a lot of times parents want us to take the safe rout and be a lawyer.
Speaker 3: Be a teacher.
Speaker 1: There was a fim there was with wheah with my mom because she wanted me to like study, worry about us. Yeah, you know, I'll go to well, like how to navigate in the music industry for you to be safe.
Speaker 2: In the music industry financially and be able to provide for yourself till you're fifty sixty seventy.
Speaker 3: So she had you know, what did she want.
Speaker 5: You to be?
Speaker 1: She wanted me nothing pacific, God, nothing is specific, but she she she wanted me to study and then have a bachelor's degree.
Speaker 3: Okay, so.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they're looking for said They're looking for said Pero thinking I sat down in your like it. You know, I'll go like, this is not my place.
Speaker 2: It was in your environment and if you weren't feeling it, you weren't feeling it. And you know what, sometimes God puts that in your heart because you have a gift that if you ignore it, you're gonna rob us of it. Because you know what, your gift belongs to the world, and the world is a better place because you're in it.
Speaker 3: And music is very powerful. Music heels, music motivates, music inspires, And I say it all the time. I'm like, it's so crazy how a million people can love one person because they sing and somethings that wonder. I'm like, it's so fucking crazy.
Speaker 2: People people do everything all over the world and you see footage of let's say, Michael Jackson, people fainting, people crying.
Speaker 3: It's crazy what music can do.
Speaker 1: Come on, Koral, I said, So, they don't play this for for when you're sad, for you're happy, for when you just want to have fun. So La Mosica can drive you places you feel me?
Speaker 3: No, it definitely does. I have I have my one album. I have a J Cole album.
Speaker 2: Then it's like when I'm gonna lose it for your eyes only, I know that that album top to bottom. I'm talking like every single word, and when I'm gonna lose it, bro, I put that album on and I'm like, album, I swear to you, I swear to you that.
Speaker 3: Is my album. Do you have an album or an artist that when you just need that?
Speaker 1: I have an album that be a handle like in a fly or when I'm road tripping or when I'm with my family, and it's fantas. I know that album from top to bottom, and it's an album that not say and I cry like it's the only song that makes me cry.
Speaker 3: It just touches you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yes, wow, Wow, it's crazy.
Speaker 3: It's big shoutout. He was with us Atta super dope.
Speaker 1: Tell me that my guy. That's my guy, you know, Samono Sup?
Speaker 2: When I'm in this young and how did you end up working with and first of all, how did you end up working.
Speaker 1: With man and and Puerto Rico Hando per like a group of friends that started like having fun and then.
Speaker 3: Tempo the same crew with the five people, so.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah yeah yeah. Log I was like a runner and on a restaurant and the guys told me like okay by Plato and I was like okayo to who's yo.
Speaker 3: You gotta do what you gotta do.
Speaker 1: I gotta gotta do what you go Alida and you and I was like broo, the the moment come on instinct like going to them him like something's gonna happen.
Speaker 3: With this see and I break the like I see something big for the song.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah gon Ca.
Speaker 6: But Coscholl shout out to faith making that happen.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm like he loves Columbian artists.
Speaker 1: I love to columb the music coming Maluma like ma Colombia, it's my heart.
Speaker 3: You know what's crazy? Every time we talk about Colombia, I think about Nikki jam and what Colombia did for his career. It is insane. Now let's talk about what you got going on right now?
Speaker 1: Okay, right now, right now? I play like in my rebranding era, what does that mean? Talk to me like I want to like sit down for a second and study my music, like like finite direction from for my music, but like I want to do something bigger, something wild, like cam not proud of it. Wow, I did this, so I played like against the stage in the middle.
Speaker 3: You made the playground, playground play. You know what's crazy?
Speaker 2: Playground says a lot about you because it was your debut album, correct, and you didn't put yourself on the cover.
Speaker 3: You choose a child that looked like you when you were younger. And I said, this says so much about him as an artist because people are so egotistical, people are so self centered, people want all the shine that and I was like, I was like, wow, I said I like him. I haven't met yet and I like him.
Speaker 1: Yes, your album album? Since I then throw the album tom album Toco up the best com okay album?
Speaker 3: Why who was calling those shots or me?
Speaker 4: No? No, no, me.
Speaker 1: A c Jose when I was young, like a vision an album. But Lisa, this some to me. So I'm a child, I'm new at this, so I'm a funny person, Basil. But at the same time, I gotta focus on my career. So your mimo, okay, mofa, let's stop for a minute and see what we have.
Speaker 2: They wanted to make it very cohesive. I guess the way it goes. It's even the songs, the way they were positioned, it just sounds perfect. I can see what they did there and why it took time. Now, talk to me sports. Right now, you're wearing a Yankee hat. You're a baseball fan.
Speaker 1: I'm not a super baseball fan, but I watch NBA NBA basketball guy. Yeah, I'm a basketball guy. Boy.
Speaker 3: Grandpa loves baseball.
Speaker 1: Yeah, my grandpa loved baseball and he was a Yankees fan. So we're supporting RP grandpa.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and you know what, but they did you know, Yeah, we didn't win the World Series, but we were the last one up there, right, that's yeah.
Speaker 1: No, so he said, Mocho, I give ya maintain Mundo the New York he's a Yankees fan. When we lost Aleta, like super sad, sad, like I've never seen that guy so sad in my life.
Speaker 2: Mahina, because you know what, to make it all the way to the worst series and not when yeah, we made it, but yeah we lost, especially if we lost l A.
Speaker 3: That is a big problem.
Speaker 1: Okay, it's tough. It's tough.
Speaker 2: Now talk to me a little bit more about you know, the future. I know that you know you're working on rebranding. Yeah, millennial, talk.
Speaker 3: To me about twenty twenty five.
Speaker 1: Twenty twenty five is gonna be big. Twenty twenty five is gonna be some R and B stuff. The MANFA RMB, solid R and B. Okay, I like that, Like that's a makina. That's what I love. That's what I like. R and B A bro.
Speaker 3: So, who are your army artists that you love? I think we already mentioned Brown.
Speaker 1: Chris Brown, Bresent Taylor is a fan. I'm not a Caason fan yet because I haven't like studied her her. Yeah, women, we just love when it. Know, like she has a lot of popularity right now, so I want to study her. I want to see what she she.
Speaker 3: Has the store, get deep into it.
Speaker 2: So Bryson Taylor, Chris Brown, give me one more Tory Lanez big shout out toy Man. You know, it's sad what happened to him. You know, he got caught up in the wrong things. But he is an artist and he knows how to make hits. Okay the man again, separating the man from the personal his music. But I loved him as an artist.
Speaker 1: He's like a big person and it's joy also life sessions, and I'm like, bro.
Speaker 2: He's kind of like a genius when it comes to the music stuff and the way he puts together you know, his music and the way he crafs you know, it's toughce tailor tailor.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he's a dope one. You know what's crazy?
Speaker 2: I saw bryceon Taylor at Radio City Music Hall and I couldn't see him. They had the lights down. He want to show his face really yeah. It was like when he first started. And I know he doesn't care if I say the story, but he had like acne problems, and I was like, why can't I see him?
Speaker 3: Why can I see him?
Speaker 2: Why can And I asked somebody because they had invited me to see him, and they're like, oh, he doesn't really want to show his first dangn and.
Speaker 3: So much talent. And he's at Radio City Music Hall. You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: It's a huge msg Radio City. Those are the biggest venues here. And he was so in his head about his look and his appearance that.
Speaker 3: He he just had the lights down.
Speaker 1: The temple yeah yeah, so Billino and and it's tough. Maybe not.
Speaker 3: Because it was Radio City. We loved him.
Speaker 2: We were there, it was thousands of us, and he was all in his head. But he's an amazing artist. But speaking of artists, two influenzias old school.
Speaker 1: Why okay, Influencia Influencia Influencia.
Speaker 2: Okay, because you're young, did your parents listen to No? Okay, yeah, because they're a little older, like Liver the Military.
Speaker 1: Class, No c Yeah, Perro at the same time, and I'm gonna young and don't music confronts.
Speaker 3: You know?
Speaker 5: You know?
Speaker 1: Yeah, music like she had read on and she was like a music and I was like, apply up on bron and it's apply yeah, and local like told Temple toil, tim don't don't I want to get out?
Speaker 3: Okay to my mind, no.
Speaker 1: Temple, And I'm being clean. I'm so and I see I look at.
Speaker 3: He was like the hell No Soombert, oh yeah, big shot.
Speaker 2: He was at Latina too, all your homies Latino only you were missing, Okay, But we gotta manifested Hi Radio.
Speaker 3: We gotta get MafA on stage that.
Speaker 1: Morning. Though you've been so tom.
Speaker 3: No, that's for sure.
Speaker 2: You know twenty twenty five is going to be you know that year that you know you just go to like that superstar level.
Speaker 4: Man.
Speaker 2: You know what I'm saying, I have a lot of hope for your career and I feel like a lot you're super super talented and you're humble, which is most important in this industry.
Speaker 5: No, no, the.
Speaker 3: Have a piano here right now.
Speaker 1: But why do you make that pile me? But how I say this? Yeah, yeah, yeah, pianos a lot of head class the piano. But at that time album so I was like class list top so come on wild ride.
Speaker 3: You know another I mentioned the piano. We do have a little piano right there at the dressing room, the green room. It's little though, it's like piano not all if you're not gonna play the piano.
Speaker 2: But I do want, I do want you to give me one of your hooks. Okay, when you how's your voice? You wantt W No, no, you know what crazy you're being interbed the Mariah carry.
Speaker 3: Your common potato chips pangras her throat. Yeah, you know potato chips are like a little oily and I saw she's like potato chips. That pause.
Speaker 1: Okay, okay, so.
Speaker 3: Your favorite hook, porcelana? What are you thinking do blue blue? You were't blue anyway, so it makes sense, it makes sense.
Speaker 4: Give it to me, Louisa, my Cara Cono, Philip Booting, oh so lichor me blue sile seeing yeah, yeah, y'all looking at you, Norman Media, I see oh my side please no.
Speaker 1: Beautiful. I love that.
Speaker 3: I mean, thank you so much, thank you for joining us today.
Speaker 1: Can I see this? Relman? Doesn't hell.
Speaker 3: Super cut, super important? Especially all your.
Speaker 1: All right?
Speaker 3: And know Grassiers come again.
Speaker 1: Like on Yeah. Grassiers Come Again is a production of Honey Germany Productions in partnership with Iheart's Microtura podcast network