Speaker 1: I won't let my body out me outwait everything that I'm made done, won't spend my life trying to change. I'm learning love who I am, I get, I'm strong, I feel free, I know everybody of me.
Speaker 2: It's beautiful.
Speaker 1: And then he'll always out way if you feel it, but you.
Speaker 2: She'll some love to the food.
Speaker 1: By you have there say good day and did you and die out?
Speaker 3: Hey hey Leenne here and I hope you enjoyed this series with doctor Chip Dodd. Here on outweigh and if you want to learn more about how I teach my own clients to turn off the part of their brain that's obsessed with food, obsessed with their weight, and rewire their own brain for peace and freedom, then head on over to Stressless eating dot com, where I've literally peeled back the curtain and walked you through the exact strategy I teach my clients to heal themselves from the all or nothing diet mentality for good, but without restricting themselves, punishing their bodies, and definitely without ever having to use words like macros, low carb or calorie burn. It is all over there for you to access over at stressless seeding dot com. Happy Saturday out Way, we are back for our fourth and final episode of this mini series, here with doctor Chip Dodd.
Speaker 2: Hello again, Aileen.
Speaker 4: I've really enjoyed getting to do this with you.
Speaker 3: Thank you, absolutely, it has been amazing. What has been just coming out over these microphones. I feel like it's just been ordained in something like spontaneous.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: These are the kinds of conversations that you can only plan to a certain extent. So I'm so grateful that you're here. The series is called Why We Numb The Real Root of Coping Mechanisms. But if you've been tuning in, obviously we're talking about things like addiction and coping mechanisms, but the real why, behind the what, what's causing this? How to take back power from your heart so that your brain stops hijacking you and that brain heart kind of dance that's going on. Why we numb and how we are avoiding pain and seeking discomfort, And we talked about that from an experiential level and a human level, a logic and reason level. But also we've every single week hit on the neuroscience. If you're like me and you want to get a little geeky and learn about the.
Speaker 2: Why behind the what.
Speaker 3: And then last week we really started transitioning into the healing side of this. What do we do now that we have all this information, we have this awareness of what our problems are and what they aren't, how do we actually go take use the tools that we have or go get access to tools to start moving forward.
Speaker 2: And so today we're going to talk about.
Speaker 3: Something that might feel a little bit scary to a lot of people, which is the idea of feeling our feels and having the courage to feel what we're feeling and allow those feelings to be there. How to healthily process emotions, how to recognize them, how to stop numbing them, all of those things, but transforming our relationship with emotions. So let's just dive in by talking about first of all, there is this kind of not for everyone, but for a lot of people, a stigma, a fear of feelings.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 3: I know, I've had my own kind of insecurities of like am I over emotional?
Speaker 2: Do I feel things too much?
Speaker 3: Too deeply? And I had to recognize like, no, that's just who I am. I'm just a feeling person. But that being said, there is a lot of that kind of self talk about our feelings and then shame about our feelings. So how do we stop fearing those feelings and start listening to them in stead?
Speaker 4: And there's so much you know, almost all of us carry inside in front of the genuine feelings and the courage that we're born with actually believe or not, but we have toxic shame, which means we have contempt and judgment towards ourselves as weak for having feelings. Okay, like then that feelings in and of themselves are a weakness, not a strength. And then secondly we're afraid to let them out do We get afraid of the judgment, so we make up all kinds of stories about what's going to happen if I have feelings, what people are going to do to me, what they're going to think of me. Then the two core essential needs that a human being has won't be met. I need to belong and the need to matter. But we've decided quote quote a long time ago, I only belong to matter when I perform a certain way, so my presence isn't as important, not enough. So ultimately we have to take the risk of pushing through the fear, using it, and then pushing through this veil of shame and telling the truth and courage means full hearted participation, and believe it or not, when you were born, you were probably came out of the womb with more courage than you'll ever express the rest of your life because you didn't know not to. The toxic shame wasn't there, the healthy shame wise, the healthy shame is sure, I'm dependent. Of course I'm going to be risking making mistakes. I know I don't have all the answers. Of course I need you. What's the big problem you need me to? What are we doing here? It's like the normal natural inborn experience. What we need is just boundaries around that, like I don't like that. I need you to hear me say I don't like that and respond to me. And in other words, it's okay to have a self, it's okay to be yourself. And so you literally come out of the womb full hearted. You're all in like I feel I need, I desire along I hope. So the thing easily end is that once we find our feelings, which it takes courage, like Okay, this could hurt, but I'm dying without it. Look, if you don't feel. If you suppressed feel, you don't connect. If you don't connect, you're isolated. If you're isolated, you are removed from life. If you're removed from life, you're not living. If you're not living well, you're going to find addiction to continue. But every day is aspiraling down towards not wanting to live anymore. I mean, once we foreclose on our hearts, we try to leave ourselves behind. There's no place to go to be away from how I may ultimately except the numbt anesthetize it, deny and own and on. So basically, recovery is so much about returning to the self, and it is scary because we have lots of experiences that tell us why not to do it. But it's almost like, you know, hitting bottom really means I'm sick and tired of not living. It doesn't have to be under a bridge. It can just be waking up one day and go, Okay, that's enough, and so what do I do? And that's what we're going to ask for help, which is a healthy shame experience that we'll toxically shame ourselves for right. But then at that point it's about feeding your feelings. Of course, you know, telling the truth about them. But look, if I have fear, I have a need of help from danger. If I have sadness, I have a need for comfort in it. If I have loneliness, have a need for connection to someone someplace somewhere right, and either I address it, address it like vulnerably, like admission. Here I am I, and I actually choose to be with people I've watched who can do it themselves, so I might just get received. So courage is taking the risk of returning to how we're made again. And yes it's scared. Yes it's scary, but every feeling has a corresponding need to need, and each feeling has the need of a certain territory, and then the admission of desiring something that I don't believe will happen or left behind. So it all comes back to saying, look, I'm scared of this, and at the same time, here I am. Great movie, it's an old movie. Now, I'm telling you Goodwill Hunting is one of the greatest stories that over. I'm telling you it's fabulous. It's a story of returning to courage, how terrifying it is, and how the terror in Will Hunting was anxiety when Shane said, man, listen, it's not your fault, and he kept coming close and it's like, stop it, Shane, don't fool me. Don't do this to me if you're lying. In fact, don't do this to me at all, because you're getting close to me being me and it'll kill me. And instead it awakened it. Right. So this is what we're terrified of the end. We're so scared that if we have feelings it'll kill us. But here's what happens, and it is so precious and yet so tragic that this is what we've been running from. If you have feedings, two things will happen. They really will. If you have feedings. Number one, you're gonna have them. I mean you're actually gonna have them, like your sadness will probably have tears or there'll be just a heavy admission for a little while. Yes, And so one you're gonna have feelings, and then you're gonna also have memories. Or if you have memories, you're gonna have feelings. So that's how calm. We run from feelings because our memories have told us it's not a good thing to do or it's unsafe. So When we return to feedings, we're returning to how come we left them behind. When we return to memories, we're going to be returning to the feelings we suppressed or attempted to escape from. And what's amazing is once we've become dedicated to not feeling is crazy as it sounds, it's a loyalty to toxic shame. It's a loyalty to our own self hate. And then it's tragically, it's a loyalty to the very people if they had a chance to repeat, probably wouldn't do it that way, we hope. But it's a loyalty towards the very people that taught us to harm ourselves. As they were harming themselves. They couldn't tolerate feelings, so they taught us to keep them comfortable. That's the family of origin issue. Usually, So feelings won't kill you, they'll bring you to life, but it starts with just having them. Yes you'll have feelings, and yes you'll have memories, and believe it or not, after the grief, there is a RESTful, tiredness that feels good after the loneliness spoken and somebody actually says, hey, I get it, and all of a sudden. You have a day of just sort of sharing, and afterwards you leave, You're like, I need to call you back, say you're laughing at me, and they say, no, I'm not laughing. Maybe I just did, like, no, I'm not laughing. Are you crazy? I get it, absolutely, So we will distrust it. But what we're distrusting is that we're just trusting the healing. We're just trusting I just received what I'm made to have, So we distrust that this could be real.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and it feels scary in a way to think about the concept of healing, But honestly, when you think about what's scarier, not healing is scarier.
Speaker 4: It is you know, and it's because and that we can.
Speaker 3: Right absolutely, it's the devil that we know. You mentioned this idea of loneliness or the isolation side of it and the hiding, and we talked about avoidance a lot back in episode two. But the loneliness and the isolation part. I can't believe we even skipped over that, because that's a big part when we are in the throes of what feels like an addiction, the coping mechanism, the toxic shame that that you know then exacerbates everything else that the tendencies to then avoid and hide, and that secrecy almost it feels like a dirty little secret. Yes, so in terms of obviously we know the answer is coming back to the heart of who you are and dealing safe to be needed and be in need, I should say, but kind of weave that in for us too, about the hiding and.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's like it's like the once we have rejected feelings, you don't trust them to be the truth of our experience. We literally spend our lives devising ways to avoid feeling while still getting our needs met. So we're getting farther and farther away from being able to connect, even if we look like we're the most connected person in the world. Even you can be avoiding while being the life of the party, yep, and leave after the party and have never felt so alone in your life. Janis Joplin is so famous one of the greatest blues rock say years of all times, I mean poured out herself with expression. Afterwards, she said, I've never been more alone in my life than after leaving the stage with twenty five thousand fans adoring fans, and then she went straight into promiscuity, Heroine all the drug use because she couldn't tolerate being in need. She could perform to get her needs met, but couldn't tolerate being with herself and asking somebody to be with her without her having to avoid distract and so on. But what happens, It says cursed, which means isolated, not condemned, but cursed is the person who trust in their own flesh, their own devising ways to numb myself, who depend upon their own will power, their own strength, whose heart is removed from God. And it's not about religion. It's about we're made to find fulfillment and relationship by being connected to the universe and connected to others, trusting that the universe as in God, and people as in specific people want our good. And that's how we end up relinquishing our control to giving over to say you want my good, Well, I'm made for that good and I want to receive that good. Also I become somebody who wants to do good. You can't do good unless you have a self to do it with, and you cannot give what you do not have. So the first thing we have to do is be needy to find out we can come back to life, and the people of us, those of us who have come closest to losing our lives, have the most to give to life because there are more people who are running from life than there are people who are living in life.
Speaker 2: It's so true, isn't it. Yeah? Wow, so so powerful.
Speaker 3: Well, no pressure, But if you were to put a wrapper around what you want people to know from all four episodes of the series.
Speaker 2: What would it be?
Speaker 4: Gosh, there's so many things. Let's go with this that I think that when Jesus said to the disciples experiencing, like, how can anybody do this? And then Jesus literally took a child and said, hey, come here, come here, and the child stood by his knee. In my picture anyway, and it's Matthew eighteen two and three, and it said, unless you change and become like one of these, which is to have faith like this. And the faith is not a systematic theology. The faith is being in need and having feelings. I'm hoping for something and I was born to picture something I haven't found yet. Okay, you can't change yourself, Jesus said, unless you change, it becomes you can't change yourself you can shift your habits, you can't change yourself. You have to admit your need to be connected, and then you return to becoming. You're back on the road of being yourself. So I would hope that feel your feelings, be able to tell the truth about them and believe it or not. Hand yourself over to a process, Give it to God, give it to the process, and the process as itself heals us. There's a river. We put our raft in. The river takes us to where we're made to go. We just got to be willing to take the risks that we can find out how to swim and we won't drown.
Speaker 3: Feel your feelings, feel the feeling. I'm curious, so so powerful, Yeah, so simple yet you know, simple, not easy, but so powerful.
Speaker 4: And again, if you're easy, the whole wheeler would do it right.
Speaker 3: Exactly and so different from what the world is telling us about addiction and coping mechanisms. Is that work harder, resist, white knuckle will power control, And it's like no, it's the opposite. Surrender, feel, release, humble yourself like a child. You know, don't be afraid to say I know nothing, I know nothing about nothing.
Speaker 2: You know, God, Universe, what do you have for me? Yeah, and again I'm in need.
Speaker 4: Well the last thing if you have time, but like just let's just touch based on food for just to say, yeah, we have to eat, We're made to eat, We're going to eat. Okay. What's amazing is when you find yourself and actually say I care about me and I want to live life fully. It's not about perfection, it's about practice. But when I finally face I really want something, I just want something. Then guess what if I really want something versus have to do something? If I really want something versus should? You see, we're created God created is to reject should should should? Should should? When I want something, you know what, I'm willing to kind of like practice being in pain for something, and then that becomes being good at delaying like immediate reception. And then all of a sudden I found like, hey, that workout, that waiting, that delay, that eating certain things left me better. And then all of a sudden, what we find out is that to want to becomes a lifestyle. It becomes a sense of get to, not have to, And once you get to because you want to, you're free to keep doing it. So we're gonna eat.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: So there is a process. Uh, we call it self love, we call it delagrad, we call all kinds of things. But feeling your feelings and finding that man, you were made right, and you've got a yes within you that's waiting to be addressed, and you say yes to how you're made it, you end up you wind up wanting to do good for yourself absolutely.
Speaker 3: And freedom, like what I just to stack on what you just said because it's so so powerful. Freedom is giving your yourself the ability to make these choices that serve you, rather than constantly feeling like choices being taken away. Yes, or life is just happening to you.
Speaker 2: You know it.
Speaker 3: You take back power from it. But it starts, it starts at your heart. And and like you said, it doesn't have to be a deep, dark rock bottom, but you do have to get to that place where you're like, no, I'm no longer living to live, I'm no longer willing to live in this, in this howl, or live as a you know, a victim to my circumstances or a victim to the way that my brain has kind of been taking over me.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and that doesn't become will power becomes who will help me yes, and ask you for it, and then actually taking a risk of daring to question if that will really work.
Speaker 3: Contend, fight yes, fight for your freedom absolutely, rather than argue for your failure your lamentations. So wilse it well, thank you so much for being here. And guys, there's a bunch of free resources over at Chipdodd dot com, including his amazing Gift of Feelings and the eight Core Feelings and Their Purposes, which he goes into depth about in the Voice of the Heart.
Speaker 2: So I can't recommend that book enough.
Speaker 3: Also, he's got an amazing podcast, You definitely need to check that out, the Living with Heart Podcasts. You can find it anywhere podcasts or stream And we are just so grateful that you came here on this series.
Speaker 1: Thank you so much.
Speaker 4: Thanks man, God bless absolutely right. Bye bye