Speaker 1: Welcome into Northside Territory Foul Territory Networks Cubs Podcast. I'm Saadam Sharma with my partner Patrick Mooney. We are your Cubs beat writers over at the Athletic Patrick. The Cubs have taken the first two against the Saint Louis Cardinals, and in doing that, Alex Bregman has been red hot seven hits in these first two games of the Cardinals series.
Speaker 2: Uh, he was, he was hot before the break.
Speaker 1: We wondered that, I think you wrote about it, asked him about it is the is the break coming at a bad time for him? And he hadn't been terrible, but it did look like coming out of the break that oh Man, like he's not in the same rhythm, but he seems to have found something and he's back on track and looking. He had an opposite field home run the day on Monday, which is not something he does. So it's not he's not getting the results the way he would probably want them to come because he's a like he feels like he's at his best when he's pulling the ball in the air. But I also think like something good is happening with him and he's feeling right at the plate. This the Cubs have to hope this is the start of something big for Alex Brakman, right.
Speaker 3: Exactly. He's using the whole field at Bush Stadium. He was using Dansby Swanson's bat, which is bigger and heavier. He choked up a bit. And what really struck me was listening to him late Monday night. You know, the camera's on him, a bunch of microphones around him, and he's kind of rattling off, you know how he talks when he just kind of makes lots of declarative statements like just you know, and then he'll kind of you do more overall at the end. But just like grabbed Dansby's bat, joked up a bit, put my hands back, and it was just like listening to him, like, you know, it sounded like someone who had just like picked up a bat for the first time, or it was like like it just it just struck me out. Someone who could sign multiple nine figure contracts, get two World Series wings, be you know whatever, it is one hundred something games into the season and still like searching for it, which I think is partially the way Bregman is wired, and also just the nature of hitting and how hard it is, you know, Danzby Swanson made the point that sports nowadays have just evolved so fast that you have to evolve to keep up. Because my point to him was, like, you know, I'd imagine Steph Curry's had the same like jump shot since like third grade. You know, maybe he put it a little higher, you know, as he got older, but like there's a way to you know, execute a jump shot, whereas you know, pretty universal way, a consensus way to do that, and Bregman has been just searching for it. Just to kind of mess with Craig Counsel. I asked him, you know, every time Bregman has a big game, like people wondering because he's turning the corner and he's just like, yeah, that's like the Pete question, Like when he would get all the Pete Crow Armstrong, can you break down his swing mechanics for me? Last year? And he got very tired of that one. So let's just enjoy this good game. And he had a very nice game on Tuesday as well. He finally got his ops back up above seven hundred this week, and to your point, side, like he hadn't totally like cratered, like if you're looking at his ops, it's just been in this like six seventy to six ninety for such a long time. Obviously the power just disappeared for way too long. But I think the larger point would be, like, if he gets going one, they're probably gonna eat it because Pete may not, you know, just be an MVP every single night. But also like if he rounds into form, take some pressure off other guys and you can just see this lineup one through nine operating differently.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you don't need to ask Greg Counsel to break down Alex Bregman swing. Alex Bregman will break it down for you. Yes, exactly, like in plenty of detail. He's happy to do that. He's one of those players that you know, sometimes I worry about, like guys tweaking their swings or working on things too much. And there was a point this season where it's like does he need to step away from this? And it's like, you know what, He's done it for so long, this is his method, this is how he does things. Probably should just trust that this is going to work out for him, Like he knows what he's doing.
Speaker 2: Let him.
Speaker 1: Let him go about business how he knows how to and like I read some of the descript of the swing changes that he currently made, and it's like it it does seem like a little out there at times, it's like, Okay, this is more extreme than what I felt like. I talked to him about a month or so ago, when I believe it was in Saint Louis. The last time I talked to him about his swing in like pretty you know, pretty deep detail and.
Speaker 2: And you know a lot of times a player talking.
Speaker 1: Like that, you'd be like, oh man, this this guy's in his own head. He's overthinking things. I don't think that's the case with Bregmant Like it's just how he works and this is what he does. And yeah, it could sound like overthinking for some people, but he's done it for so long and it's worked for so long.
Speaker 2: Why mess with why mess with it? Why?
Speaker 1: Why why doubt him? I guess is what I'd say. He's done a great job throughout his career and and he kind of knows, like he gets it these stretches in his career where like he's so hot that it completely turns a season around, Like go look at his history, this is this cold stretch, if you want to call it that, it's lasted longer than it usually does. But when he gets hot, it's it is a torrid level of performance.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's not like the Cubs were out on a limb in that in terms of their evaluation of Alex Bragmant. I mean, he was a number two draft pick Team USA. Guy on. You know, multiple teams All Star World Series champion, been to the playoffs, I think almost every year and with two different team organizations. Yeah, I think it might have been one very early in his career. You said him might have missed one, but I believe they sailed a winning season. But either way, like the track of record is so long that you have to trust it. The Cubs don't really have a choice other than to roll keep rolling them out there. And I actually think it's reasonable to think that he will wind up in a decent place. I know people kind of tired of hearing about that, but once you see the results, I want to say, he's had like seven multi hit games in July, and obviously there was a break in the middle of the month, hitting those two home runs in the last two games before the All Star break. One in that series coming out of the break. Really nice performance thus far in Saint Louis. And yeah, I mean we've talked about how you know, everything starts over at zero in the playoffs. Anyways, he hasn't been like a zero either. Like his war is pretty good because of the defense and because he gets on base, and you know, he has fit in really well in this clubhouse. So I'd be pretty optimistic about how the rest of his season is going to go. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Same if you know, if you were like gonna bet the over under on like an ops of like eight hundred or whatever the rest of the way, I'd take the over.
Speaker 2: You know, like it.
Speaker 1: I think he's going to he's going to be a force in this lineup going forward, assuming help. Let's take a quick break and come back and talk about another force in this lineup in his MVP case.
Speaker 4: Big second half of the season coming up. There might be a hot ticket, a rivalry series, a sold out experience they need to get your hands on, and Zekeek is the spot for that. You can find good good pricing. They help you with the pricing, green dot good, red dot not as good, and they help you with your view of the seat. For some big matchups coming up in August, September and eventually leading up to playoffs.
Speaker 5: Why would you not use see geek if you want a view from your seat. You want to know if it's a good seat, if it's a good deal. It has all of it on the app. It's easy to use. It's one click boom. You buy the tickets, they send them right to you, get them on the app, and then you can go check out whatever game whatever you're a fan of. If you can go to, whether it's baseball, whether it's concerts, whatever you're into, you can find a ticket and you can always try to find the green dot on sek.
Speaker 4: And for MLB tickets you can get ten percent off with that promo codever running all season long, Territory one zero. That's territory ten off your next set of MLB tickets at sea Geek. Make sure you click the link in the description to download the app and have the code automatically added to your accounts so you can use it later.
Speaker 1: All right, Patrick, it's Pete Crow Armstrong is having an MVP level season, MVP caliber season. Let's let's let's talk about him and also preview that Yankees series coming up this weekend. Let's make this our Fox one segment. Okay, yeah, so the numbers on Pete Patrick. I was looking up some stuff I need to like. So the I love the the stat cast pages, the Baseball Savant pages, you know with the red bars, the red and blue bars. So I think I saw this on Twitter, but I'm looking at it now. It's all red at the top.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: They have the batting run value, the base running value, and the fielding run value. And he's, you know, the one hundredth percentile in fielding run value. So nobody's better than him on defense according to this ninety eight percentile in batting run value and ninety six then base running like truly elite and all three facets of the game that you can kind of consider on offense. Just just an exceptional talent right now, and someone that you know, obviously, with show Hey, a lot of questions about show Hay right now and and his health. Here's a guy that you know has a real chance to win MVP.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I think you look at show Hey as he's kind of the automatic incumbent front runner every single year. Obviously, what he's done is almost unprecedented and may never again be repeated. And I feel like Pete last year when he came on, it was like, you know, if this guy is a goalgloved defender in center and he hits home runs, like he's going to accumulate a ton of war and like he's going and play for a good contending team, like those guys get MVP votes, like they show up the ballot, like they just you know, kind of are accumulators in that way. And so that was kind of the I feel like, kind of a default with Pete, particularly after he signed that contract of like, okay, he is a foundational player here. When he plays well, he's you know, gonna be in that All Star MVP mix almost every year, and it feels like you kind of had to wait and see. Like Pete, he also didn't have a great start to the year offensively either, which seems like, you know, such a long time ago. Uh, and then to see the injuries that are happening with show. Hey, I think it's appropriate now to like this is a legitimate debate. Like I think it would have been silly or Homerish for us to like present that idea in May or probably even June. But at this point, you know, I'm just looking at the headline here in the athletic of sho Heeo Tani still facing uncertain pitching. Timeline says biceps is also an issue, and the Dodgers are not gonna have to push him because they want, you know, a three Pete. So like if I were them, I wouldn't stay away from the mountain. It seems like they always have, you know, too many pitchers. Any Anyways, during during the regular season, like you know, Pete has really you know, done it in spectacular fashion. You know, hearing you know, his the way hearing the chance even on the road, has been super entertaining. And I think like while the Cubs don't think he's going to perform at an MVP level every single game for the rest of the year, they do think it's it's pretty sustainable that you don't think he's gonna like totally creater in August and September.
Speaker 1: So last year, Patrick, I I think I wrote to the like we had to do or it was suggested to do like a twenty five year like it's twenty twenty five, twenty five years into the decade, like best team of the decade, like the Cubs best players twenty five, right, and I went out on a limb and took Pete as center fielder. Part of the reason I did that is because the history of center fielders just isn't that great for the Cubs like in the past. I think I even wrote a piece around the time that Pete was traded for about.
Speaker 2: Kind of like the history.
Speaker 1: Like remember there was talk back in the day before Ramis kind of took over a third, like the Cubs can't find a regular third baseman. I kind of compared it to that, like for center field, the Cubs couldn't find someone regularly, like Dexter Power held it down for what two years, Like Kenny Lofton was up there as far as accumulated war for twenty for the twenty twenties, Like that's how rough it was, Like Kenny loften played for them for like half a season.
Speaker 2: Yea. And now I like, I bring this.
Speaker 1: Up because all time all time, So going back to eighteen seventy one, all time center fielders war accumulated, Peka Armastrong is ninth for the Cubs all time already, like you know, and he's going to like he like by the end of next year, he'll probably be like seventh and like he's he's at fourteen point six. That's not a crazy amount of war, but like it's two and a half seasons worth of games for him, Like it's just it's just remarkable what he's done.
Speaker 2: It kind of blows me away.
Speaker 1: So this this weekend, they have the Yankees coming into town, the primetime game on Saturday night. Fox will be showing Cubs Yankees. Look, Aaron Judge isn't isn't there, Cody Ballinger is hurt, but it's so it's Peak Armstrong's show, like this is he He's the star that they will be taught. Like my guess is Fox will be talking a lot of Peek Armstrong. They have I believe Max Freed going Saturday night. He'll also get to face I think, if we counted it out right, Garrett Cole on Sunday. But Saturday it's Max Freed Fellow Harvard Westlake. It feels like it's been a little while since I felt like Cubs Yankees was properly hyped, Like maybe it was last year. I'm trying to remember when they played last year, but it didn't feel like this feels like I think the Yankees are in a weird spot, like they're they're going their offense is going through the struggles that the Cubs offense was a couple of months ago. Whenever that was what was that Maine to June for the Cubs. Uh, That's where like the Yankees, like everything that I read, it's like, Ohky, this offense is a mess, and with Judge and Bellinger out, it's it's going to continue to be a struggle. And I'm sure we'll see some trades from them. But it should be a fun weekend and a and a nice challenge for for Pek Armstrong, no doubt.
Speaker 3: I mean, I'm expecting a good amount of Yankees fans there. I feel like over the years, you know, you get people coming from New York to see Wrigley Fields. You know, it's still a bit of an occasion. I believe the Cubs were at Yankee Stadium last summer right before the All Star break, and I remember that's right talking to Kyle Tucker and Yankees fans, you know, saying are gott to come to the Bronx and stuff like that while we were doing our interview. The Yankees also have a nice Chicago residency. You know, a whole week with oh yeah series on the South side, and yeah, I mean it's possible the Cubs could be facing them at a pretty good time. I think the Cubs are kind of regathered them themselves here, they're looking, you know, pretty good. And then obviously the trade deadline is looming over all of this will be really fun to see if either team pulls off a big move by Saturday. So that helps out you know, you me and I'm assuming Ken Rosenthal will be in the dugout there as well. So yeah, that'll be good good for us if we get some some trade news, some you know, things actually happening rather than you know, reporting on deliberations and targets and things like that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's a six fifteen games Saturday night or seven to fifteen Eastern, six to fifteen Central. MLB on Fox is streaming on Fox one. The Race to October starts now, and we have your front row seat to the wildest walk offs, lights out pitching, and clutch plays all season long. Follow every can't miss matchup as teams battle for a spot in the postseason. Then stream the twenty twenty six World Series live on Fox One at home or on the go, live or on demand. Never miss a moment stream now, Okay, Patrick, I believe there were some more updates as far as pictures go. What's the latest you're hearing on Ben Brown while you're on the road there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, just a quick one in Saint Louis that he Ben has been throwing in Arizona. Craig Council says that Brown's neck issue is now symptom free. You know, I wouldn't start like penciling him into your playoff rotation or anything like that, Like this is still going to be a slow build up.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 3: Part of this time was thinking about his mechanics and how to reduce some of that stress on his body. You know, he felt it earlier in his career and that sort of wiped out, you know, huge chunk of another season when he comes back. And that's how they're like, they're expecting him to come back this year. I guess maybe that's probably the big idea here. Don't expect him to be used like a rolldist Chapman or like CC Sabathia when he got traded to the Brewers. Like this is going to be a carefully managed production, at least at the start. They want to keep his health in mind, their future in mind. It's also hard to have that type of layoff. And then I want to say, he got shut down in mid to late June. I believe you were in New York. I think said it. And so it's gonna be it's gonna be a it's gonna be, you know, a significant road back. But you know, they like the idea of having the option to plug him into their pitching staff, like building him up as a starter. I guess theoretically he could you know, be an opener for three innings at some point if they want to manage it that way. But like they're not gonna just kind of unleash him from the start. A similar thought to Justin Steele in terms of like they're gonna have to proceed with caution. The last we heard was first week of August to start kind of throwing off the mound with the idea of you know, building back up to hopefully contribute to the major league team. He's just in a different situation then Brown in that his last major league game was April of twenty twenty five. Whereas so like that just you know, the recovery process the build up process. That just makes everything more extensive for him. So yeah, these are kind of, you know, names to to keep in mind, you know, as we get you know, I'm not putting a timetable on it, but you know, as you get towards September, you know, October, like they could be viable options. I think it's just important to like temper your expectations and remember like these are not rental players who've been you know, performing all year and have long major league track records, like they are going to try and do this the best they can, the right way.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and look, this season is incredibly important. The Cubs have a chance to do a lot in the postseason. I think they're We've seen how good they are offensively and defensively. If their pitching gets right, this is a team that can win it all like that, that's how good they are.
Speaker 2: There's no doubt about that.
Speaker 1: Whether they can execute it get healthy enough, I don't so I don't want to distract from twenty twenty six, but if they trade for a pitcher that's under control beyond this year, getting these guys healthy for twenty twenty seven matters, like Ben Brown, Justin Steele, a pitcher X that they trade for Edward Cabrera and eventually Kate Horton. Is a really exciting rotation that I don't think you'd have gone into a season recently that you felt that way about it. That's why this trade deadline so interesting to me. If they can pull this off, if they can be aggressive enough and get that starter and add to a chance to do some damage this year, but also like you did for next year, that's just haven't had that type of rotation in a long time. So we'll see what they can pull off. But yeah, I think Ben b the flash we saw from Ben Brown was like, what was it like tennis starts Maybe a little bit more than that utter dominance, Like that was high level stuff. We were talking about him as an All Star. We were talking, you know, if you keep that level of performance up, you're one of like the top ten pitchers in the game. It's hard to do that over the course of a season. So I don't want to just assume that he can do that over thirty starts. But Ben Brown's upside, We've always talked about his upside. He finally reached it. We saw him like, oh, this is what it looks like. So that's why I understand the excitement and why people like would love to see Ben Brown pitching six innings again. I'm not sure if what exactly we'll get, but he's still an important piece for this team in twenty twenty six and beyond. It's going to be interesting to see how how they use him. I'm curious to see how it all works out, because it it will be kind of weird if he can only go a couple of innings and he needs multiple days off. It's just I don't know how exactly that works. Craig Council will figure it out. I'm not gonna doubt Craig Counsel and how he handles his pitching staff. He'll he'll fit those out getters in however he has to.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 2: But this is obviously a big week.
Speaker 1: I'm very you know, I think everyone wants to see how aggressive the Cubs are and what they do. We'll we'll have one more episode maybe by the time we're talking that there's a deal done. But Cubs Yankees this weekend, two more against Saint Louis. Yeah, two more against Saint Louis, and then a big week in general. Trade deadline, Cubs, Yankees, Cubs Dodgers like it's gonna be a fun week. We'll see, we'll see where they're at. Thanks so much for listening everyone, This is Northside Territory. Make sure to rate, review, subscribe, subscribe to the YouTube channel, and subscribe to The Athletic where Patrick and Iron top of all things Cubs. Thanks everyone, Take care,