Speaker 1: Also media.
Speaker 2: Hey everybody, Robert Evans here, and I wanted to let you know this is a compilation episode. So every episode of the week that just happened is here in one convenient and with somewhat less ads package for you to listen to in a long stretch if you want. If you've been listening to the episodes every day this week, there's going to be nothing new here for you, but you can make your own decisions.
Speaker 3: Welcome to it could happen here, a podcast about things falling apart and putting them back together again and occasionally discovering that there is in fact a second union. I am your host of Meal Long Now. A little while back, I did an interview with a group of electrolysis workers who are working for a company called Real Electrolysis, and we talked about, you know, their unionization efforts and the kind of horror show that was going on there. Now, what I didn't mention at the time was that in the process of talking to those work and that union, I learned that there was in fact a second union that had been organized kind of unrelated to the first union at the other location. And that is who we are talking to today. To get an update on what has been going on in general with the entire situation, and also talk about their union and a thing that you will kind of commonly experience randomly unionizing places, which is that sometimes there is another organizing effort at another one of the locations at the same place that you were organizing, and you don't know about it because everyone's.
Speaker 2: Keeping it secret.
Speaker 3: So yeah, to talk about this, I'm joined by Lake and Andy from Gender Affirming Care Workers Alliance. Yeah, both of you two, welcome to the show.
Speaker 1: Hi, thank you for having us. Thank you.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm very excited to talk to you both.
Speaker 3: And I guess before we get into the initial organizing, just what was it like finding out that the other shop was also unionizing?
Speaker 1: Oh my god, it was terrifying. So, like our number one priority during our Lakewood campaign was secrecy. We absolutely knew how hostile management was towards any kind of improvement of workplace conditions. So going from almost five versus spy level of off sec to figuring out that Vancouver was also unionizing and was doing a walkout, like, I think that was when we learned. Oh god, was when the day that they kind of imploded and we were terrified, Like we did not think there would be any way out of that for Lakewood.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's a rough way to find out when Yeah, the other union is like, oh God, okay, we have to do we have to do a walkout, we have to go on strike because they're firing us.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean it was certainly understandable. I wouldn't say we knew why the walkout was happening. When we found out that the walkout happened and that a strike was starting, our campaign kind of came to a halt. Like realizing there was another campaign happening made us had to reconsider what we were doing. Like we had our own a grievances and we were really just in the process of getting people on board. We had maybe a core group of five, but we had thirteen or up to thirteen in the end, but we had like ten to twelve electrologist. Because that number was constantly changing, we had to stop and reassess.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that makes sense.
Speaker 1: And obviously we wanted solidarity with Vancouver. We wanted to do whatever we could to support them, but we also didn't want to lose our jobs.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: One of the first things we decided that Lakewood is that we weren't going to ask anyone to lose their job in order to unionize. We weren't going to put anyone in a position where they would then become unstable. Almost every single worker at Lakewood like desperately needed this job.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Without it, we would risk calmlessness or other things. Yeah, so we kind of got stuck. I mean, it was it was a tough situation to be in. Knowing that we would have been on their side, and with more information and more planning, we would have probably joined them, but we weren't there yet.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And this is I guess partially also, Like you know, one of the things is difficult about doing campaigns is that sometimes like sometimes campaigns move at the speed that the workers are organizing at, and then sometimes they move at the speed of like, oh my god, the boss is firing everyone.
Speaker 4: We just have to go now.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And that's yeah, that's always one of the issues is like as much as you want to be setting the tempos, sometimes you're responding to like what management is doing, and that can get very rough, very quickly.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, I think Vancouver did great with their circumstances. Like you said it, management set the pace and they had to respond. At Lakewood, we were really trying to do the opposite. We wanted to put us put ourselves in a position where we were taking an action and management was responding, and in the end we did. We paused when Vancouver went on strike, we tried to assess how best we could help them without just also imploding Lakewood. Part of what we realized is that management had not realized any campaign was happening at Lakewood because they were going to use us as no votes in the election.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: They wanted us to be considered one bargaining unit because they thought that we would say no and that union would lose the election.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So our Sky versus SPIC shit was successful.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we're doing well. Management deceived, yeah perfectly.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So do you want to re wind the clock a bit and talk about sort of how organizing efforts started. It was not connected to the other campaign at all.
Speaker 1: It wasn't, but I think we were dealing with a lot of similar issues. Yeah, in our first year, as we got onboarded and saw how things were versus the position that was promised to us and sold to us, Yeah, everyone kind of started catching on to things and started like building a list of grievances. There were concerns about the lack of training and patient safety. There were concerns about the lack of time to do our job, you know, working during breaks, working during our lunches. There was really unclear and inconsistent disciplinary actions being taken left and right. Yeah, Like one person would be told they could do something, another person would do that and get written up for it. Yeah, it felt targeted. At some point, Lake would realize that there was no position you could be in where your where your job was safe. You could be management, you could be the owner's absolute favorite electrologist, you could be the best at your job. You could keep your head down and do absolutely nothing, and one day you would be disappeared for whatever reason if you got one. Yeah, it was like a span of like two or three months where we lost maybe five employees and everyone heard a different reason if one was given.
Speaker 3: Hmm, which is a pretty clear sign that something is going wrong.
Speaker 1: Exactly.
Speaker 6: Yeah, And I think I was the second employee to be disappeared.
Speaker 3: At the location.
Speaker 4: Jesus Christ.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there were two employees where we were told they resigned, and everyone very very much knew that These are employees that wouldn't have resigned. These were employees that were ready to start careers and build their life around real you we all believed in real use mission. But yeah, eventually we just realized it didn't matter. Yeah, there was no job stability for anyone, and that was a really big issue because that's what all of us came to this job for. We were hoping for long term careers that paid us livable wages and also were safe for us to be ourselves in. There's not a lot of jobs where trans women get to be trans women, and like this was a job that almost celebrated it.
Speaker 6: And I know, for me personally, I was really excited for the opportunity to be able to help the community.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I come from Florida, I'm born and raised unfortunately, where transitioning for a long time was kind of a pipe dream, Like it was not a realistic goal of mine until moving to Washington. And now I get to take or I used to get to take part in people's transition every day for my job.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't know, And that's I think like one of the kind of cruelest parts of all of this, And like what management has done it's just like ripping that away from both you and from the community.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, And it didn't have to be that way.
Speaker 4: No, it really didn't. Yeah.
Speaker 3: And I guess speaking of the cruelty of management, Yeah, Andy, I guess do you want to talk about when you said getting disappeared? What was going on with that?
Speaker 6: So I had brought a lot of the grievances that I was seeing and had towards the owners of the company on on Lea, alongside the manager of the clinic at the time. And any time anything wrong with the business was brought up, hostilities just grew and they kept growing the more and more that we said, hey, you know, there's issues with the training. There these issues with the amount of time that people have to do your jobs. And it was honestly a really hostile environment created by Anna. And before I had gotten disappeared, I was in my educational program for electrolysis. I was in the process of completing that before my termination, and I had brought up some of my concerns because as I was learning more and more about electrolysis, I realized that so many of the things we had been taught were just wrong. Yeah, And because Ana and Leah didn't want to address it and didn't want that information being out there. I was put in the position where I either had to sign a non disclosure to forgive my student low debt, or I could choose to just be fired.
Speaker 1: And then assume the debt.
Speaker 3: Jesus, I mean they did. They just literally forced you out of the company.
Speaker 1: Correct, it was an involuntary resignation.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that is only voluntary, and like the strict Hobbesy in sense where like Hobbes considers that if someone has a gun at your head and tells you to do something and you do it, you still voluntarily made the decision.
Speaker 2: And I don't know.
Speaker 3: About you, I don't hold to the strict hobsy an interpretation of voluntary. I don't think I agree, but I think that if you were coerced into a decision, it's not voluntary.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 4: Oh God, obviously.
Speaker 3: I think the other part of this that's just really grotesque is what you were talking about in terms of just the education being wrong, because this is something that's really common in trans healthcare, where like there should Yeah, there is just a bunch of stuff the medical professionals are being taught that was developed from something someone figured out kind of in the eighties and has never been updated in the course of like the last twenty five years of the development of science and then just also the development of there being more and more trans people who have been, you know, just like experiencing treatment. And it's frustrating, I think, because you really rarely ever get a scenario where there are trans people who actually are in a position sufficient enough in any kind of medical institution to even like get to talk about it. And the fact that their response was to just like disappear you and like force you out of the company is really bleak.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 6: And on that note, I would say most of the whole poes received about two weeks training before working on patients.
Speaker 4: Oh boy.
Speaker 6: That and the educational program that I went through was four months. So if you kind of compare the timelines there of how we were trained in the job versus the education that I got, it just wasn't enough.
Speaker 1: Yeah, not only was it not enough, but anyone who voiced that it wasn't enough put their job at risk. I mean there's more than one Lakewood worker that went to management saying, hey, I don't feel well trained enough, I don't feel informed enough, and they were met with well more than one situation in which they were like directly asked like do you feel comfortable working on patients? Do you think you're capable of this job? With the implication or the direct verbal statement being if you don't, maybe you should find somewhere else to work. Yeah, But all of us signed up for this job with the agreement, like we signed these loan agreements with the idea that we'd be going to this in depth training. Like the owners themselves during my interview process at least talked up sat Master's constantly like this is the place to go to learn about how to provide electrolysis for transgender clients specifically.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And then I worked there for sixteen months and never saw any training after my first few weeks, Like, yeah, I think the entire sixteen months there after my first month, my sessions were only observed three times. Jesus only three times. And I was not an electrolysist provider before this. This was my entry into it. Their training was the only training I got. Yeah, And the only reason my sessions started being shadowed at all is because providers themselves started asking for like auditing sessions.
Speaker 6: There is an instance that I would like to bring up. I was overseeing the training of new hire and during this training period, I had a patient on my books who had requested to never be on my books again, which no, totally fine, totally valid, But the fact that they were put on my books after requesting not to see me again was an issue.
Speaker 1: It's not totally fine or totally valid to do that.
Speaker 6: That's not fine on management's part. And so as I am training this new hire and we're going into this session, the patient wasn't comfortable with me being there in the room to provide training to the new hire. So I had to leave the new hire alone.
Speaker 2: With that patient Jesus.
Speaker 6: Because they weren't come with me being there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that is a just absolutely unacceptable way for any of this to be running, especially with a delicate healthcare thing that can cause.
Speaker 4: Inturgue to people.
Speaker 3: Exactly, if we can back up for a second, can you explain a little bit for people who didn't listen to the first episode or people who don't remember about the absolutely wild I guess nominally student loan like in danger program thing that was. That's the key component of this whole of this whole story.
Speaker 1: So just about every worker until like some of the most recent workers, got a job at real U Electrolysis with the understanding that we would be hired and trained and receive pay well being trained by real you, but that at some point they would send us to zap Masters in Centralia for an electrolysis training program and to get us licensed via Oregon State. Washington doesn't have electrolysis licensure requirements. You could buy a machine and start providing. You shouldn't, but you could, yea. So the idea was that they would pay for our zap Master's training, they would pay for our machine, they would pay us while we were learning this job and starting with them, and they totally all of that at around nineteen thousand, five hundred dollars plus interest, So nineteen to twenty one thousand is the number that gets thrown around. They would pay for that and forgive it if we agreed to work for them for four years after they license us. So this four year timer doesn't even start until we're finished with school and get our license in Oregon. It included a clause where not only do we have to work for them for four years, but we can't work for other electrolysis.
Speaker 6: Clinics, which these kinds of employment agreements are literally called trap agreements. Yeah, if that kind of cluesy in anything.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Yeah, it's like it's since an indigered servitud agreements.
Speaker 1: Like and that's like, God, hindsight is twenty twenty Jesus crushed. Yeah, a lot of us had the foresight to know it wasn't a good situation, but we were coming from worse situation.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I think a way to think about this also is just that, like, you know, there's two parts of us that are predatory. One is the recruitments that is designed is you know, based on i mean just lying to people about how this is going to go. And then there's the secondary parts that's the exploitiveness of the agreement itself. And I don't know, I think we have this very very annoying tendency to look at being an inherently exploitive situation to something as you know, something that like through anioliberal personal choice, you could just avoid being in these situations entirely, and that's just like not true.
Speaker 1: No, Unfortunately, if you have a regular job, you are being exploited.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, and you know the fact that like going back to the sort of like hobbsy and consent thing, it's like, well, okay, like, is anyone actually like you know, operating freely in a set of conditions where yeah, like if you don't take the job, your alternative is that you don't have food, and you you know, you can't pay your rent and you and you don't have a home anymore exactly.
Speaker 6: I mean when I came to real you, I was homeless. Yeah, before being employed with them.
Speaker 1: You're not the only one. I think many of us were.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And that's something that I think is also really bleak about the way that this was structured, which was like one of the things that we talked about the last episode was at Annealantry like very specifically said that she was targeting trans people because you could just like treat them a little bit nicely and they would do anything for you. And yeah, it's like, you know, this is a deliberate targeting of a population that has an unemployment rate that is what like four and a half times the un the general unemployment rate in the US, that is, at all times and at all places, operating in like great depression levels of unemployment and that's yeah, you know who's like homelessness rates and like rate of having been homelesses like orders of magnitude higher for the general population. And I don't know, it's extremely bleak that, you know, the opportunity to both like help your community and also make a just absolutely seismic like class increase from like being homeless and struggling to feed yourself to like having stable employment is ultimately kind of this like debt peon ship trap.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean you put it pretty clearly.
Speaker 3: Capitalism sucks like christ bad economic exist.
Speaker 2: Of good Lord Ough agreed.
Speaker 3: So speaking of capital we should probably throw to ads, and then when we come back, we could talk more about resisting capitalism, which is to say, how the organizing dot going and what's been happening.
Speaker 1: Since Yeah sounds good.
Speaker 3: Sounds good, and we are back. Yeah, so let's get into a little bit more of like how the organizing process started and how it sort of went.
Speaker 1: I think Andy might be a good one to start with this, because, unbeknownst to everyone, there were three different starts through our union efforts. Andy, before you got.
Speaker 6: Got yeah, I was looking into the possibility of trying to start a union at the shop. I was reaching out to different union organizations, and I was also looking at what government agencies that I could be reaching out to about some of the things that we were experiencing at our workplace.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so that would have been around November of last year.
Speaker 3: Around November.
Speaker 1: And then Andy disappeared that there was a string of firings, and I would say our efforts started again around January of this year. Kind of just started with one of our workers chatting with their patients. The trans community is also pretty involved in organizing mutual aid unions. So like when you're shooting the ship with your patient and they hear like a workplace ripe for organizing, they tell.
Speaker 3: You, wait, that is the that is that is maybe the sweetest thing I've ever heard.
Speaker 1: Like it was pretty good. This wouldn't have happened.
Speaker 3: Trans people, truly, truly amazing.
Speaker 1: Oh so, yeah, we had a patient who was an IWW member who told us that was, look, you gotta start, you gotta get in contact with the GNB and then start learning how to organize. So we did.
Speaker 8: That's amaze.
Speaker 3: Okay, it's not quite salting because he was someone who was a patient and not like an employee, but it's like it's kind of like an accidental saulting.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, none of this would have happened without our patients. They've been supportive of the entire way. When things in Vancouver started happening, we all started having patients ask or tell us that, look, I don't want to put you in an AFERA position, but if y'all started unionizing, that'd be dope. Yeah, it was really nice getting a support. Sucked that we couldn't talk to them about it because, like we said, we were kind of doing spy versus s by level of yeah, yeah, we didn't want management to know, so our patients didn't know until kind of the last month, which sucked. I mean these people that we've been seeing weekly or more often for months, weeks, up to a year, it sucked not getting to tell them what was going on, knowing that they cared.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And it just really starts example of like what community actually is versus what it's sold to us as we're like, yeah, you have this thing where you know, you have genuine community with the patients that you're treating in a way that's staggeringly, unbelievably rare in any kind of trans healthcare field, and you know, and from that community, you get hey, you get hey, you should organize, and like, you know, people trying to help do the organizing, and then you know, you have the sort of like the corporate version of community, which is the boss is running a terror campaign and like disappearing your trans coworkers.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's pretty stark contrast. Yeah, Honestly, part of why it went on for so long is every red flag that management had, there were at least one, if not two green flags between your coworkers and your clientele. That made up for it. Yeah, But going back to organizing. January, we got in contact with the Tacoma GMB for the IWW GMB is General Membership branch, so it's essentially just the local IWW to us, and we had a organizing rep who would do kind of like monthly calls with us at first, just telling us how to organize, what conversations to have, and how to get people interested the AIOU conversation, Agitate, educate, inoculate, organized, push one of those.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, you got it.
Speaker 1: Because none of us had any organizing experience, So we had all of this energy to write our conditions, but we didn't know how to do it, So we started having conversations with the IWW and just slowly started building up our group of trustworthy workers that we knew wanted this. It wasn't hard. Most of us lean left, if not radical, so binding union sympathies was not difficult. Binding the grievances was even easier. I mean, these things are pretty clear in the workplace.
Speaker 3: Yeah to bosses once again, the best organizer.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly. What really did it for us is when paychecks started bouncing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I just I just still saw I a hole on this for a second to flight, Yeah, what do you mean the paychecks are bouncing?
Speaker 2: What the fuck? Jesus Christ?
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's about how we felt like. At the end of March, they swapped us from direct posit over to paper paychecks. Our first one was in April and there was at Lakewood only one person who had it balance. I think Vancouver also had some issues, but like we said, there was no communication between the branches, so we didn't know what they were dealing with. Yeah, and the management kind of did their best to keep the locations separate. Like Lakewood was told things about Vancouver to kind of view them negatively, and the same with Vancouver.
Speaker 3: Yeah, which again is this real sort of image of like what the world's ruled by bosses is, which is like, yeah, they're deliberately trying to isolate people from their community and liberally trying to separate people and instill sort of like fear and hatred against each other. And then you get put in this position where it's like it becomes difficult to actually like do the kind of like community building and the kind of like solidarity and organizing that you want to because everyone also has to like hide from this boss surveillance state.
Speaker 1: I feel pretty bad. Like all the way up until we heard about Vancouver's walk out, I kind of referenced Vancouver as like the Vancouver colt, because it sounded like everyone was really happy and fine with how things were going, and Anna and Leo were just doing what they wanted Vancouver, and everyone's fine with it, and everyone's happy with it, and it was okay over there. So I mean that was part of why we didn't contact them Initially. We didn't know who it was safe to. Lakewood had our own experiences of like talking to a worker we thought was on our side and they immediately turned around and go talk to management. Yeah yeah, so yeah, communication just wasn't there between us and Vancouver. So when checks started bouncing, the total number was always unclear. The first paycheck it was just one. That second paycheck in April, it was already a few more people, Chris. So when they told the first worker they had no idea why that check bounced, and then the next paycheck, more checks bounced, it was like immediately obvious they were being Yeah, untruthful, I'm dishonest, Like.
Speaker 3: Like what one paycheck bouncing is already unacceptable, like the correct the paycheck second bounce is zero, but it's like the woman there's more than one. Suddenly it's like that it becomes a lot less likely that it's like they fucked up, and more likely that like like something deliberately like malicious and messed up is happening.
Speaker 1: Here exactly each paycheck. The frequency kind of just went up, like how many people had their paychecks bounce, and the way that it was handled was just rewriting them, like it was your responsibility to figure out it had bounced, go to management and ask them to fix it. Them fixing it was either reissuing you a check or asking you to try cashing it again.
Speaker 4: Oh my god.
Speaker 1: There was one paycheck where after it bounced for me and my partner, they did just tell us to try every day because they couldn't tell us when they would have the funds to pay us because some money comes in and out every single day. It was a pretty wild situation to be put in.
Speaker 3: Yeah, like Jesus Christ, like just like absolute nightmare.
Speaker 4: Oh my god.
Speaker 1: So when checks started bouncing, it it kind of clarified what we could organize around.
Speaker 3: First.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, if you're not getting paid, you don't have a job to unionize.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's that's like the most like nothing to lose in a world to win situation you could possibly abagine exactly like we're getting paid, we're doing real work for fake money, like.
Speaker 5: Right.
Speaker 1: So we kind of settled on that as like our first grievance and demand to organize around is we're demanding guaranteed pay, which isn't even like it shouldn't be a demand. It's their legal so much.
Speaker 3: It's like, yes, you must form a union in order to have the right to be paid. Which I've been saying this kind of joke about what it's like being trans for a while where it's like to be a trans person in America is to like aspire to the status of a meer proletarian. We only get regular exploitation instead of like the even honestly you get here, it's like, yeah, we had to form a union so they would like pay us, and it's like.
Speaker 4: God, like.
Speaker 1: We just wanted real job.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Like, oh my god.
Speaker 1: Going back to when we started talking to the IWW in those first like initial union ish meetings, it was still just very few of us and we hadn't put words to it yet, but we kind of realized that we weren't super interested in going the route of the an RB with a election for a union and then collective bargaining for a contract. We had contracts. We know how real you write its contracts. We weren't interested in another one. We wanted the ability to react to changes in the workplace with flexibility, which is what the IWW was offering. They focused on solidarity unionism that doesn't use the NLRB but instead uses worker power via direct action to get management to the table and to meet your demands. Because a lot of this was rushed, we didn't get a chance to really get the terminology and our options. But one of the terms they used was involuntary recognition.
Speaker 4: That's fun.
Speaker 1: We were running underground until we were ready to go public, but we were fine with being a public union. We just didn't need the NLRB's backing. We had the worker power in the workplace and we were going to do direct action to get what we wanted. So, yeah, I think the word we were using was involuntary recognition.
Speaker 4: Yeah, like I love that. That's great, right. Yeah.
Speaker 1: So going back to March and April, knowing that we weren't interested in contracts and that we were going to go the round of direct action, we just had to choose a demand to start with. The bouncing paychecks was a pretty easy one. So we started having meetings and talking about what kind of direct action we could do and what kind of escalations we could have if we were organizing around the demand for guaranteed pay and that demand essentially we were asking them to resume direct deposit or deliver our next check in the form of guaranteed funds like cash, money orders, cashier's check, something that won't balance. Yeah, we wanted our money on the day it was due.
Speaker 2: And also, like I want to say, this too.
Speaker 3: That like there's like a theory version of this in Capital where March talks about how like labor is the only commodity that you pay for at the end and not at the beginning when you purchase it, where like every other commodity you have to like pay for it before you get it, whereas with labor you pay for it after. But like, if you tried this with any other commodity other than labor, this is a crime, right.
Speaker 1: I mean it's a crime for labor too.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it is a grid for labor.
Speaker 3: But it's like but it's also like like if you do this at a grocery store, like you will be arrested, yes, And when a corporation does it, it's like, okay, if you want the law to help you for doing again the same thing that will get men with guns to take you away at a grocery store, right, you have to form a fucking union and organize. I don't know, I hate this fucking system.
Speaker 9: It's so unbelievably exploitative, and it's so clear in these sort of moments like who is designed to protect and who's not designed to protect, where like the punishment for the same literally the same crime is like one of them guess you arrested, and the other one gets you like a union campaign.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's also something that I'd like to mention.
Speaker 6: Yeah, for those who managed to go through this app master program, one of the things that was supposed to happen was that those employees during their education were supposed to receive stipends to cover their living expenses during our schooling, many of whom which were either not working at the time or working at reduced hours, and some of them saw stipends or partial stipends, and some of them, from what I understand, received nothing at all. Jesus, but we're still working at those reduced hours trying to support themselves while also going to school.
Speaker 3: Yeah, which is again also a I guess like it's a form of wage stuft. And also b it's a thing where like, like the difference between the bosses making slightly less money that year and a bunch of workers who are like mostly trans and in really horrifying like economic conditions not having that money. Is the difference between someone like maybe buying I don't even want to say buying a slightly less like fancy car because it's not even that much money for them, It's like, I don't know, like they have one day where they don't go to like an unbelievably expensive restaurant, versus like can I feed myself at night?
Speaker 1: Yeah, they get one less personal massage. Yeah, we might end up homeless.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 10: Yeah.
Speaker 1: That was part of the situation that was starting to really weigh on me near the end. Is because part of what I had signed up for was agreeing to work part time and do schooling part time, and it was supposed to be like anywhere from five to six days a week with the two, which was going to be a bit much for me. But at some point they decided they wanted all their workers doing school full time so that they could get through it quicker. But they didn't adjust the stipend they were offering, so you were expected to stretch the shame amount of money over time where you weren't getting any income at all, and that money was four thousand, five hundred dollars, which is not enough for that like three months of rent and food and gas gas because it's in Centralia.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So yeah, Like I had had multiple conversations with them about it, and they would not give me a clear answer on whether we would be able to continue working or if we wouldn't get to work, or what we would do about our income situation.
Speaker 6: And that's the situation that I ended up in was for the last two months of my schooling, I had to float myself on very little income because I had only received enough to really cover the first two months of the.
Speaker 1: School And it's going took like six to nine months if you were part time.
Speaker 6: If you were a part time it took six to nine months, yeah, yeah, and four months if you were full time, which I was going full time.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: And then also like the second thing with that too is just like it's not only are you like spending time doing training for this job unpaid, Like that's also taking in time where you can't work another job to get more income.
Speaker 1: Well, if you wanted to work at another job, you had to get their approval jeess chrust. Yeah, they made it pretty clear they wanted you committed to reel you and nothing else.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's it's cult tactics. And then also the classic like wonderful capitalist double freedom where you have freedom from the ability to eat and then the freedom to sell yourself.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean I could always choose to go homeless and hungry.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so that the law and is magnificent equality bans both the rich and the poor from sleeping under a bridge.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So we chose our demand and we came up with our plan. We had our actions settled, and we had a plan for if management responded, if they didn't, if they escalated, we had our options and we felt secure going in at that point. Like when we first started our actions, we only actually had five workers participating, more that were sympathetic, but all that felt that they weren't in a position to do direct action and lose their job. We saw Vancouver lose their jobs when they took action. We knew it was a very real possibility, but we started, I believe. On June twenty ninth, we delivered our demand for guaranteed pay to our manager. The IWW calls it a march on the boss.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: It was like less than five minutes total. The five workers presented our demand. We gave two testimonials for like how it's been impacting us directly, and then we left. We sent a follow up email to the owners of the company because we had handed it to the manager and we're waiting for their response, we put it out there and we just had to wait. Yeah, the next day, the manager caught one of our workers on her own to respond, essentially telling us they could not afford to pay us any other way that they were paying us. They could cut us paper checks on each payday and that was it. That wasn't one of the options we gave them.
Speaker 11: Yeah, I just.
Speaker 3: Can't get over the like, yeah, sorry, the only way i could afford to keep running my business is if I'm allowed to not pay you, and that that's the next thing you have to accept is if.
Speaker 1: I'm allowed to hand out checks that can't be cashed.
Speaker 10: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So when they told us no, we looked at our plan and we took our next action. We submitted a bunch of l and I claims for our checks that had been NSF or insufficient funds. An LANI claim Labor in Industries is kind of like the Protective body body for workers in Washington. For each check that we had received that bounced, we had a right to file a worker's rights complaint. The problem with those complaints is that they're not anonymous. Your employer gets told when one is filed. Hoogled it and why they filed it. Unfortunately, that wasn't an option, and so we were all doing it together unless we wanted to lose our job as one by one. Yeah, So when they told us no, we started by submitting our LNI claims. It all happened so quick and it was one action after another that it kind of blurs together. So I think we submitted our l and I claims when we gave them our demand on the twenty ninth, we gave them a deadline for our next payday, So July third is when we were due to get paid again, and we said, by then, you have to agree that you're going to give us guaranteed pay or deliver guaranteed funds.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: The next day they had told us no, and on Friday they delivered paychecks like any other pay day. Yeah, they didn't really acknowledge what we had asked. They didn't acknowledge that they weren't meeting our demand. They did not tell us there were any issues with these checks, or that they might bounce, or that there weren't the funds. They at no point asked anyone to delay cashing their checks because they didn't have the funds like that was part of the issue is like, sometimes businesses run into financial issues and you have to deal with it. The way to deal with it is not by giving out bad checks and not telling your workers.
Speaker 3: For people who haven't like thought of this before, there are like actual consequences for attempting to to cash a check that doesn't cash, absolutely, like that gets taken out on you the person choose attempting to cash the check, like as well as the people upstream who are doing the bad checks.
Speaker 5: Like.
Speaker 1: We actually managed to avoid that at Lakewood for the most part because once checks started bouncing, we were scared of that happening. Yeah, so we started cashing them at Chase, which is who real you banks with. You don't have to have an account with Chase to go get your check cash with them. You just have to pay a ten dollars fee and have forms of identification. So the people who went to Chase and had their checks bounce there, it never hit their account.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's good.
Speaker 1: There were never any fees or any negative marks on our accounts. For the people who couldn't do that, there were, Yeah, there were NSF fees. At least one lakequoiod employee now has had their account completely shut down for ninety days while it's investigated for fraud.
Speaker 3: Yeah, which is because it's like, Okay, the people who were committing the fraud are the bosses, but now you don't have a fucking bank account for ninety days, which is just a nightmare.
Speaker 1: Part of our hope had been that by cashing them at Chase, Chase would flag the account because like their account was with Chase, and they were consistently issuing these checks that they couldn't afford to cash, and we were consistently cashing them at Chase, who had to acknowledge them. Weren't the funds there?
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Unfortunately, they told us a couple of times that there was just nothing they could do on their end.
Speaker 3: Love, capitalist, class solidarity, great stuff.
Speaker 1: So we did our demand, we did our L and I claims, and then they delivered our paychecks as if nothing had happened.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So, over that weekend we finalized our plan to stage walkouts starting on Monday from to one. Workers would leave, really you to go to the local Chase and attempt to cash their checks, and we did that until each worker got paid. It normally took like fifteen to twenty minutes, and then we spent the rest of the hour, you know, doing our direct action, not returning to work. Yeah, but when it was one o'clock we returned to work. We were ready to see our patients. We all messaged our clients the night before if they were affected, and if we had the time, we offered them replacement sessions. We did our best to follow the rules as much as we could while breaking them. We were trying to send a message management we weren't trying to disrupt patient care every step of the way. We were doing our best to disrupt actual patient care to the least amount possible.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So that went on for three days. On Monday, none of the checks cleared. On Tuesday we got six of them, and on Wednesday we got the last one. I did, forget to say that was when we picked up two more workers. There were a couple of workers who weren't comfortable prior to them taking part in direct action, that were ready and did join the walkout with us. Management ignored the walkouts. We got absolutely no response.
Speaker 4: Oh boy.
Speaker 1: We sent email updates each day, you know, like this mini checks cleared, this many didn't. We're going to keep going at any point if they had just told us, yes, we'll give you guaranteed pay next payday, we would have stopped. Yeah, they didn't. Yeah, so we got paid on Wednesday. A few days went by when we still weren't hearing from them, so we escalated again. I think after that we did a stick out, So there was a day where everyone called in sick and most of the workers weren't in the office. Yeah, yeah, which is pretty noticeable, especially when management doesn't come into the office and all that's left is your newbies. We did that again, still no response. We sent another follow up email being like, you continue to not meet our demands, We're going to continue to take action. At any point. We will call a ceasefire if you come to the table and either meet our demand or tell us why you can't tell us what your plan is to do to meet it in the future. And they still didn't, so we moved on to what's called the good Work strike. Every provider that was taking part we showed up. We did our jobs, we treated our patients, we cleaned our rooms. We just didn't sign our notes because that meant that management wasn't able to bill for them. Because if we weren't getting paid, neither should they.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's a version of the bus strikes, where like you just run the buses but then don't charge anyone.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly. That was exactly the line of thinking. There was another group of nurses in a hospital that would stopped charting so that patients would be billed, but they kept performing the work. And that's exactly where I got the idea from. Yeah, we had patients that we wanted to take care of, but we didn't want to give real ne money when they weren't meeting their obligations.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Thats that went.
Speaker 1: On for a few days, and then on our day off, we got a bunch of information. On that Thursday, it was revealed that management had been told really you was going bankrupt and would be closing probably the twenty fourth.
Speaker 4: Oh boy.
Speaker 1: So they learned that Thursday, and we didn't know what they would tell us if anything, and payday was Friday, so they were either going to meet or demand or not meet it again yea. And so that plus the information we got on Thursday, we decided to do another stick out so that we could reassess. We wanted to see what they were actually gonna do. We wanted to see if the business was going to be open.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because there's just.
Speaker 1: Red flag after red flag. Some of us are expecting them to close up and run away at any point. Yeah, I mean they opened on Friday, checks were delivered. Two of us received fake ones.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, yeah, let's talk about the fake checks for a second. What the fuck?
Speaker 2: I can't get over this?
Speaker 1: What listed We like to joke that whatever you think the worst option is, really you will choose a worst one.
Speaker 12: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So at least two employees, We're certain more. We're just not sure who exactly and how many. But we were given checks that were kind of handwritten, Like the only things printed on them were like the color that check paper is and one of the lines on the back where you endorse it. Everything else was hand drawn from like who was made out to how much it was the lines those were written on. Yeah, like it sent alarm bells ringing pretty quickly.
Speaker 3: That's not even monopoly money, because monopoly money is printed.
Speaker 1: This is like yeah, no, it was like a crafts project.
Speaker 13: Yeah.
Speaker 3: It was like they've invented a form of payment like fakers and company store money.
Speaker 2: Like it's unbelievable.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we got those, and we were pretty suspicious but we took them to Chase anyways, and the teller was like, look, I can't I can't even cash this to tell you that it's bounced, because there's no way for me to verify it's real. The security markets that are supposed to be on the back are not there.
Speaker 13: It's like, sorry, I have a poor frake tell and it's just like, yeah, sorry, I like can't cash, Like like just like child's draw money, this is not an extensible form of payment.
Speaker 3: Yeah, she's right.
Speaker 1: Oh no, They unfortunately couldn't really tell us what to do about it. Yeah, So we had to reach out to our management and ownership to be like, hey, we could not cash our checks. We need real ones issued. Uh huh, let us know how you're doing that. Also, on Friday, we were out of work. We were waiting for news, and I think that's when they sent out the email about the business closing. At like one point fifty six workers got an email to their company email, which meant most of us could not access it because we don't access work emails from home. That's when they sent it out, and like thirty minutes later they sent out a patient announcement, and that's how most of us learned. We learned as patients first that really was closing in one week.
Speaker 4: Yeah, which is just horrifying stuff.
Speaker 1: That was when it really hit me. When I opened my patient portal and read the announcement, I felt like I was seeing it, like all my patients were reading it, and like I was losing access to needed care out of nowhere. It was heartbreaking. It was devastating, Like there's no words to describe how I felt for all of my patients. Some of them knew it was coming, most of them didn't. A lot of them didn't get last sessions. I mean when we got the notice, we as a union realized that if we worked that last week, whether or not we'd get paid was up in the air. I mean, if they chose not to pay us, we would have to go through bankruptcy court and get in line to get paid. So instead we decided to strike. We spent the last week that really was open on the pick line telling patients what was actually happening. We weren't boycotting, We weren't asking anyone not to go in and have their last sessions. We were encouraging that any of the providers that were left, anyone who had sessions, we wanted them to get them before they couldn't. Yeah, but we also didn't want to provide free labor.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And it wasn't an easy decision. I mean it's one that the group had to talk about and go back and forth on. I mean, none of us thought that our last sessions were going to be our last sessions. We all wanted to see our patients one more time. We didn't want our patients' last session to be their last session. Yeah, but we also didn't want to be exploited even further.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I mean we made it clear what we were willing to do, and we followed through.
Speaker 3: I mean, I think it's really like the most pure example of just the dilemma that healthcare work, and also like nonprofit work and anything where you're taking care of people, it's you're put in this dilemma. Were like the way that exploitation by the bosses were like, they're going to exploit you and pay you less because of your care for the work that you're doing and the people that you're helping. And this is like the most pure like, yeah, the choice you've been given by your bosses is to probably work for free. To help your community and make these people a little bit more money before they fuck off or go on strike and have to deal with you know, like have to try to get your patient's treatment somehow.
Speaker 1: Exactly.
Speaker 4: It's horrifying.
Speaker 1: It's an impossible choice. Yeah, it sucked. None of us wanted it to go that way. It didn't have to be that way.
Speaker 3: It didn't.
Speaker 6: And I think it's really unfortunate because multiple steps along the way, they could have scaled back operations to focus on fixing the internal issues with the business.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's not like they didn't have people telling them what was happening. Mm hmm. It's just they chose to stick their head in the sand like an ostrich and keep going.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: And you know, and ultimately, like you're the people who are paying the price for their mistakes and you know, their greed and arrogance and malice.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but we survived, and I know that a lot of my fellow workers agree with me that this was an experience we would rather have than not have. Yeah, we found a lot of solidarity and community, and I mean, we've built relationships that are going to last past this. We're hoping to move on and work together again. In something better.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, And my understanding is that the long term goal is to try to set up a co op to be able to do this without sort of the exploitation of the bosses.
Speaker 1: I mean, yeah, that is the ideal. I think every union number's dream would be a worker cooperative or somewhere where they have some form of either ownership or say in the process. We would love to create something where our patients and our workers are working in tandem together to create the care that they deserve. Like you mentioned earlier, there's just such a lack of standards of care for trans like gender firm and care. We don't talk to each other enough. We don't value the patient experience enough. We figured out a lot of things in the eighties and didn't bother doing more research. We want to do that. We want to fill that hole, and we have a lot of workers that are very committed to that, that are very excited by that opportunity. It's a long term goal and the short term we're hoping to get more people educated like we were promised, and back to providing. We're hoping to find new placements for our patients that have urgent care needs, like people who have surgeries that are coming up. Yeah, we're working on a database of like local electrolysis clinics, who has availability, who treats what areas, and who takes what insurance is. So if we have patients that are looking for new places, they can reach out and we can point them somewhere. But we're always looking for more resources too. We're in our information gathering phase. We're trying to resource compile, just get everything we can for our workers so that we can take those next steps.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Absolutely.
Speaker 6: And what's devastating about this all is really was one of the few places that actually took insurances. Not many electrolysis clinics do, so it can be very difficult for people to find and afford care.
Speaker 3: Yeah, absolutely, And that's I don't know, like, yeah, that's like another one of the heart wrenching things about this is like all of the patients whose medical care is ripped away by this, and the fact that it's y'all trying to figure out how.
Speaker 4: To help them and not the bosses is.
Speaker 3: Like such an indication of which side people are fundamentally on.
Speaker 1: I mean, how they handled the closure is a pretty clear sign of that too. Yeah, if you cared about your patients finding new places before their services were disrupted, you would have given them more than one week notice. Yeah, I mean you require two weeks notice from workers before they owe you.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I think our patients deserve better.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they absolutely do, and you also deserve better.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, we have better, We've made better, we're going to create better. But it would have been nice to have what we thought we were getting.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Speaking of that is, are there ways for listeners to reach out and help?
Speaker 1: So right now we have a link tree. It's a little bit bare bones because this happens so much sooner than it was supposed to. Yeah, a gofund me that is for worker stability. Not all of us are going to qualify for unemployment, and it's going to be a while before we can find new jobs because ecolsis clinics and being transgendered. Just it's a tough combination, yep. But we also have an email for anyone to reach out to if they have questions for like if our patients are trying to contact us, or if they need somewhere new to go. If we have any electrologists in the community that have openings, we would love to know. So we can send people to you.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, if anyone who has knowledge starting cooperatives, that's also a resource we're really interested in. We want to do this right and we want to talk to the people that have experience doing it.
Speaker 14: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Do you have anything else that you want to make sure people know?
Speaker 1: So?
Speaker 3: There are a.
Speaker 6: Couple of different electrology associations that clinics can align themselves with. One of the ones that I'm thinking of is called the American Electrology Association or Electrolysis, and they have a code of ethics and standards that they require the businesses that are partnered with them to adhere to. It's an association that you have to pay a subscription fee to, but in turn, you get resources for your business and are able to have somewhere to reach out to when you have questions about the ethics in your business or how things are being run. I think something really important to note is that really you was not partnered with any of them, And there are electrology conventions that will happen that a whole bunch of different electrologists, surgeons, you know, from different places, we'll get together to discuss the health care that they're providing and It's from my understanding that really you did not have the best reputation in these circles.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I mean, the truth is near the end. Really you was having to form their own education program. They were forming their own school because their connection with Zapmaster and with the rest of the electrologist community was just so poor, like they couldn't maintain it.
Speaker 15: Yeah.
Speaker 6: But for the patients, finding a clinic that is associated with one of those associations provides them an extra level of protection, especially since Washington State is not licensed for electrolysis.
Speaker 1: Is a really really good point. If you are a patient and you've heard what was going on behind the scenes, it real you and you're concerned about continuing your care, one of the ways to protect yourself against the practices that you want to avoid is by finding a clinic that's associated with one of these professional institutions correct somewhere that has standards you have to meet. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I think I think that's a good place to end with. You know, the twin promises of workers being able to do their jobs and care for the communities, and communities being able to get the care that they need. How Yeah, this system simply delivers neither of them, and the only way out of it is to fight for a better one.
Speaker 1: We're swinging well I can say that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean.
Speaker 1: Our group is full of fighters.
Speaker 6: I'm hopeful I am too, and every step of the way, every action I have taken has been from a love for my patients and the work that I do and intend to continue doing.
Speaker 1: Hell yeah, Absolutely, I'm pretty excited to close this chapter and start the new one where we can only go up.
Speaker 3: Yeah, hell yeah, hell yeah. Thank you to both so much for coming on the show.
Speaker 1: Thank you for having us. Hopefully this was exciting as part one.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, thank you so much. Yeah, I'm happy to and hopefully we get to talk to you all again when, like the co Op starts should be lovely.
Speaker 1: Absolutely. Part three will be about our successful co Op beginnings.
Speaker 3: Hell yeah, hell yeah, looking forward to it.
Speaker 14: Hello yeah, hello everyone, unwelcome to it could happened here.
Speaker 8: My name is Dana al Kurd, and I'm a researcher and analyst of Arab and Palestinian politics. Today I wanted to talk about Western Sahara and the Moroccan occupation of Western Sahara. I'm taking this opportunity because Morocco is in the news, specifically for the World Cup, but it's always a good opportunity when Morocco is in the news to bring up this issue and to talk about the ongoing occupation of this territory. Now Western s he Hera, for those who are unfamiliar, is often called Africa's last colony. It's been contested between the Saharawi indigenous people and the Moroccan government since Spain withdrew from the territory in nineteen seventy five. Now, Morocco took over most of the territory and fought a war with the Polisaria Front, which is a liberation movement that represents the Saharawi people backed by other neighbors of Morocco, including Algeria, and it fought a sixteen year war for independence before there was a nineteen ninety one seasfire. Now the ceasefire collapsed in twenty twenty and there was a un promised referendum on self determination that never happened. So today Morocco controls roughly eighty percent of the territory and there's still hundreds of thousands of Saharawi refugees that remain in refugee camps in Algeria. The United States accepted and recognized Morocco's sovereignty over Western Sahara in exchange for Morocco signing a peace agreement with Israel. So that happened with the Abraham Courts. Now recently, through US led diplomacy, there was a twenty twenty five UN Security Council resolution that pushed for Moroccan autonomy rather than Saharawe independence as the basis for resolving this conflict. So to talk more about this issue, I thought it would be a good opportunity to get the perspective of a Saharawi person and someone who is very embedded in the issue and has lived experience. So I spoke today with Mahmad Saem Murad, who is the co founder of Saharawi Voice. This is a collective of citizen journalists and filmmakers based in the Western Sahara refugee camps in southwest Algeria. And this collective basically is a way to provide a platform for Saharawis to share their challenges, experiences and hopes with an international audience, while equipping Sahawi youth with the knowledge and tools to advocate effectively for their cause. So I spoke some Hama Sadams today to get a Saharawi perspective on things. Now, there might be some listeners that don't agree with everything that was mentioned, and that's fine. The point of this kind of interview is a type of data. How do people see this issue from this perspective? So, without further ado, here is my interview with them. Hama Setum Hamma Sanam, thank you so much for joining us.
Speaker 5: Thank you for the invitation.
Speaker 8: So I'm going to ask a few questions about recent Saharawi politics and events, starting with the UN resolution that happened in October Resolution twenty seven ninety seven, which basically for the first time made Morocco's autonomy the explicit basis for negotiations while kind of ignoring self determination for the Saharawi people. A lot of our listeners have never heard of this resolution, but people have called it the biggest shift in the conflict in decades. So can you tell us from a Saharawi perspective what it means that the UN and international body that once promised Saharawi self determination and referendum starts treating the occupier's plan as the starting point.
Speaker 5: So the resolution itself is after they exhausted all the other pressure means the US, the European Union and through their own individual country pressure and inconditional support to the Morocco, the Yuan was the last resort and they want to have a stamp of legality on it. And that's why the instrument usually the Yuan and their reality in the talk now because we don't have a negotiation yet, we have talks that have been sponsored and actually administrated and by the US. There now is a sideline. And the reason is because the international law is clear and the repeated resolution before this, all of them they have called and demanded that the final status of the territory should be decided through a referendum, and sometimes the referendum was mused, but always there has to provide for the self determination for the Sahara people. And even like playing with self determination for listeners and the referendum itself, it's a huge concession from the Sahara side. What a in a just world, In ideal world, maroc would be called to withdraw from western sahar paying the reparation for the Saharai. And those are the steps for a just solution for the Saharai. Past, but the Saharai, we're willing to go to the extra mile, and they made the concessions. They accepted the referendum, which is by the way, we will intel a huge number of the settlers will be taken a part in that referendum and would not be just the Saharau. But even with that is still not sure that they will even win the support of their own settlers that they brought with them, So they had to ask the US for the help. And of course the US is doing this as a reward for local for being a sub servant stage and the watching dog of the European Union, for being willing also to go public with their relationship with the Zions State of Israel, because for us, we I've been saying this for a long time. Morocco always had those relationships. It was the price of recognizing the moroccanity of Western Sahara was the price to go public with those relationships, and that's what they did. Eventually, Morocco is selling themselves to the Doubles to get support and recognization for their occupation of Ustern Sahara. They are accepting the Jerusalem is the capital of Israel. They are sending their money to finals the Peace Board committee that Trunt made. They are sending their troops. They are willing to send them even to fight resistance as they are doing everything. They are building chemicals, drunk chemicals factories, Israeli chemicals factories in Morocco. Everything that people couldn't even in nation. Now it's a reality. And the prices to win a pac and Israel support and they're back in turning the occupation into a fatal company. And not just that, but to even use you. And in the international law and all the international body sompose the occupation of But for us, we know that slavery and many other stuff were legal. So even if they were to outlaw the self determination, outlaw our demand for free and independent state, still will not make any difference to us. We are determined to fight for what's ours. And as a Sahara ex Saharawi leader who passed away told the Bush, because this is not the first time. Maybe this is public, but this is not the first time US try to do this. During George W. Bush's first term, when the Twin Tower head and US wanted to just like rush to solve or to just finish all other conflicts, everywhere. They wanted to resolve the occupation of rust in Saharas and asking the Sahara to accept the autonomy lane of Moroccan people. And that's it. And they said, like when when the Sahara leader was pressed to accept that said will not accepted. You know, we are so powerful that you can dictate to people how to live, but you are not powerful enough to dictate to people how to die. So it's the same for us. Nothing changed. Morocco has enjoyed the supports for a long time from the majority of the country and especially those like called the first world country and feel world all that bs. They have always the supports, but not on theerground. Nothing changed. Of course, made our independen. It's difficulty, but will never make it impossible.
Speaker 8: Yeah, the rights of indigenous people are not determined by international law.
Speaker 5: Yeah. Yeah. And Morocco is asking for support and I want to legalize their occupation first from Western sat They are asking the wrong people and they are waiting the support from that. And yeah, the teacher and their biggest sponsors are friends with all its colonism atrocity in all Africa and other places. And the US, who was a country that was built on the genocide of indigenous people. So they are there, they are.
Speaker 2: In the right company.
Speaker 5: Yes, yes, yes, exactly, that's what we Yeah, Saha will say like if someone gives you advice, you have to look at their house and if they are abiding by the advice, they are giving you a nuts. So yeah, the market choose the the right mass and the right sponsors to continue its occupation and yeah, graduates from the occupation in the university.
Speaker 8: So for our listeners, I want to also kind of specify that this February, after the UN resolution, the US can be in secret talks in Madrid between Morocco, Algeria, Mauritania and the Pulsario overseen by Trump's African advisor.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 8: Now it's being negotiated behind closed doors. How are ordinary is always especially in the camps. What is their relationship right now to these negotiations and to the Pulsaria leadership.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so that's the talk I refer because negotiation has to start after you established a framework for what to negotiate, and until now that hasn't happened, so that more accurately should be described as tall or you know, early stages of talk and meetings instead of negotiation, because negotiation then when you have a framework for the things that you want to achieve and the demands of two parties and uh and this case that we haven't even seen one photo of the tool negotiating parties, and that's very obvious because it shows just how different and how how far from each other. And the US came with the misconception that they think they just like, can't rush this into solutions and be done with it. And when they saw a resistance from the from the Sahara negotiation team and also for the record, also Algeria hesitance to accept them posing of all those solutions, they started to reconsider. And we have many statements from Mostart Bulls, advisor for North Africa and Middle East or in North Africa, where he's saying this seems to be more difficult than what we early imagine, and you know, starts to reconsider his positions. As to your question, the Saharah in general, the vast majority of the Saharawi consider the policario to be a liberation movement and their representative. And even if they don't have opposed or work in a certain they consider themselves to be a policerio member. That doesn't mean we agree with all policario or we don't have a different opinion about how things should be managed and how the saharawikas should be administrated and how to deal with many things. That there is a huge and age gap between the first generation of police. Are that the vast majority of those are the members now and are at the top of the leadership. Are people who started the police? Are it? So? I was talking about people who have been in the leadership position for fifty years, So of course there is an obvious need for them to step down and be replaced by younger generations, by people who have the ability both the physical and the mental and right judgment of the time and of the means that should be employed to accelerate the liberation. First, Sahara, we see them. But the negotiation, as you said, it's happening behind the closed door. There are no press conferences. We are dependent on the statement from there and there to try to build a bigger picture of what's happening. But the biggest takeaway and the conclusion from the three rounds that took a place so far, two in Washington and one in Madrid, there's nothing measure is happening, except the fact that the US is starting to think that it's it's it's more difficult and it's going to take more time than what they initially imagine. So that's the biggest time I think that and the Morocco the autonomy plan they had it in a three paces paper that was their proposal for a solution, and France and you asked them for a more extended version where they have to outline details, and they haven't showed or produced anything yet. So that's I think they are closest ally and supporter and formal colonizer as Francis is working closely with them to develop that that proposal I see for that doesn't change a lot because you know, if we wanted autonomy would have been better up with with Spain. And why would we like say, say not to to Spain all to accepted fifty years later to a craft monarch and the paper to the Zion the standard France. Yeah, our occupied is enjoying their support or nothing new in Dada San.
Speaker 8: I mean, it's it's funny that you you mentioned that the United States and the African Advisors is starting to recognize it's not as easy. I mean, you know, very surprising that the Trump imgstoration advisors thought it was going to be easier than it is, but obviously not. Yeah, I wanted to ask a question also about kind of daily life right now for Saharawi's You know, it's been fifty years after the Madrid Accords, you still have Harawis under Moroccan control in the territory. And then there's of course the refugee camps in Algeria.
Speaker 2: Now that the diplomatic.
Speaker 8: Horizon seems to be narrowing, what's life like for people who are fighting for Saharawi in dependence? So like human rights defenders, the women, the students, you know, I know they face a lot of repression in Moroccan territory, but maybe you can describe to the listeners, Yeah, what the conditions are like.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I know, it's probably not something intended to do, but it's not Moroccan territory. It's Western Saharay occupied by moroccle my mistake.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, So the.
Speaker 5: Situation there is difficulty the territory. There is a media black black heide that's in posing the territory, So non international observer or a journalistill allowed to access the territory and to see the situation on the ground. The people there are morocco Is using both the stick and the carts, so trying to buy their allusions to the occupation, try to reward those who are willing to give up their political rights and so giving them out, putting them on social welfare projects and those it's not a lot, but enough to survive. And on the other hand has jail and depression and the job cutting people from their job and making their life as miserable as possible, to the to the point either they are announced their activism or leave the territory, and in some cases there are sentenced to life in prison, which has happened to many Saharawi activists who have a group called their Music Group have been in jail since two thousand and ten. And yeah there are some of them are are serving thirty years, some of them twenty, some of them life sentence, and a few of them were released recently. So the situation is very difficult, and we're very deplorable, and what is next to even difficult. That's how they're in the occupied territory are out numbered, so there are three morecanslers to each. Those are very conservative estimates, it could be more so, anything that's civil disobedience strategy or tactics will be would be dimity unsuccessful and would not produce any results. So it's very difficult situation. But none the less, there are still or are standing. Background are or still despite all the oppression and all the economic warfare that Mark is waging against them, and the even social astralization to try to even threaten people around you. So if you are an activist, even your father, your people around you, they will be laid from their job just as the percussions for your activism, So they can punish you if you don't care about or own self like they punish you through the people or inner circle, and your pop are close to you. So it's very difficult. And on the other hand, also the infrastructure there are are not are not as fancy as Morocco try to claim. There aren't a single university, and Morocco is building more of jails. And even the presenter Sahara, they sentenced them and they when they're serving their senses, they put them far away to punish their family, to make them pay a lot of money and travel inside Morocco to be able to visit their loved ones instead of having them close by artists and occupied Western Sahara. So the situation is very difficult. But those who are choosing to stand their ground are a reader of history and they are aware of the price that has to be paid an order to obtain our freedom and our independence. And the darker it gets, we know that closer that there will be another morning that's coming behind that. So we have been here way longer before Trump administration and his advisor, and we will be here. So it's the Morocca. I think that they think this is their golden opportunities and that they can use everything including the international law and international institution and body like the johan to impose their accupation and Western Saharabad. Again, they are misguided. At the end of the day, they would have to put out the table and.
Speaker 8: Try to find I think from a pasting in perspective, like the genocide in Gaza has clarified that the international system is not functioning, So you know, they're trying to use the international system. Countries like Morocco are trying to use the international system for legitimizing control. But the international system itself needs to be restructured, and I do also want to apologize. I meant Moroccan control of the territory, so I sincerely apologize for that. Yes, I also wanted to ask because we, I mean, we have listeners everywhere, but especially for listeners in the United States. You know, our government here is driving this process. What would you want listeners in the United States to take away from this conversation or to do?
Speaker 5: To be honest, I have been to the States one time, and I have met many Americans, and I am a lead the reader of their media, and I follow their their famous podcasts and TV channels and Twitter, you know, discussion. And it's very obvious that American they don't care about what's going on outside America. They care about the prices of oil, all of house prices, and their rents and the college is And it's okay. I think it's okay to a degree when your country is not involved in maintaining and supporting and that's your own taxes are used to maintain and support and finance genocide and other military occupation. Otherwise, then you have the luxury of ignoring what's outside. But when it's not, you can just like put your head in the ground and imagine and just going to care about what's happening here domestically and foreign policy. What's happening there is far away there, I don't so I would like them to inform themselves about Western Sahara, understand that they have to push their government and functionally to the Western Sahara. At least, we don't have a politician in the United States who thinks that the occupation of Western Sahara will accelerate the arrival of the Messiah and that it's far away, it has nothing to do with the ideology, with the religion, believe with anything like that, and would be easier, supposedly and will be less hesitant politician to take the right stand and the right position if enough people know there and they have a responsibility to learn and to understand and that their money and their politicians and their foreign policy are taking tools on people past, present and the future in a very practical way. And they don't have the luxury to be ignorant or to be to have the apathy they have to just not care about what's going on. They should care because their money and their political support and their country resources are used against many other people and then anything happens. We have the Americans acting like we don't know what's happened. Why the rest of the world hates you. People hate you for the million of the things that your government and your silence has done and has caused everywhere else. So they have to learn they have a responsibility. They have to speak to their local politician and their their representative in Congress and Senate and ask them just to do the basic thing, to follow the international law and start supporting my local militarily and politically and involved in them to continue their occupations and prolonging the suffering of the Sahai. That's the very bare minimum.
Speaker 3: Well, thank you so much.
Speaker 8: On that note, I will link Sharawi Voice in the show notes. Yeah, I think that people can can learn more about the work that your collective does. And thank you for making the time.
Speaker 5: Thank you for the invitation as an honor. Thank you.
Speaker 1: Take care, Take care.
Speaker 12: Picture going to the grocery store a few years from now. You push your car, grab your staples, scan and head out the door. Not much to it, but unlocking your car, you hear a faint buzzing sound. Looking around, you don't see anything yet it gets louder. Then you look up. A drone shoots out toward the street, where you spot a man running down the sidewalk with a full backpack. They both slip out a view behind some overgrown hedges. Then come the sirens. As you drive away, you see multiple cops on top of a man, one pulling objects out of his backpack. Tags still dangling off a shoplifter. Welcome to it could happen here. I'm Kevin Foster, an independent journalist and your host for this two part series on retail crime, ice, and some deeply concerning policy making its way through Congress. In this image of a shoplifter, it isn't really from the future. In late June of this year, police in Redmond, Washington used the drone to track down an alleged shoplifter who had left a store. If you live in a major city, you've probably are you witness the bolstering of security in retail stores. The ungodly number of items locked up behind glass, security guards block cameras in the parking lot. This is an industry in its own right, commonly referred to as loss prevention, and it's surged after the pandemic the national retail Federation or NRF for short, who I'll be talking a lot about today puts on a yearly conference known as NRF Protect where they bring together all the loss prevention slash asset protection bigwigs to show off new tech and security strategies. Here's the clip of a senior product manager for Amazon at the twenty twenty six event, part in the awful corporate background music.
Speaker 11: Gotta say, the most unique thing that I saw in the expo hall was the robot.
Speaker 2: Seen it on TV, and this was the first time I saw it in person. I was like, oh, these exactly real. To paint you a picture.
Speaker 12: The video features retail lobbyists, tech giants, and police investigators. They show off drones, cameras, people aiming guns, others shooting some type of paintballs at hanging targets, and of course multiple robots, including one that looks like a mini tank called Romeo but spelled like roaming around. Don't worry though this quote physical AI on patrol can only go ten miles per hour and it has a big led smile across the front. If you haven't got the drift. NRF Protect is like a National rightfle Association convention, but for people obsessed with supply chains and storefront scanners. While our little tank Romeo likely invokes the strongest image of a sci fi dystopia, it's probably the least of our worries. An October twenty twenty four article in Loss Prevention Magazine states that multiple top ten retailers rely on facial recognition for loss prevention, many working with Face First, a company that provides AI facial recognition tech with the goal of preventing retail crime. In July of this year, Mission Local reported on grocery outlets in the Bay Area using facial recognition tech from the AI company Safer. Worried about your privacy well, Safer's president says that your photo is immediately deleted if it doesn't match a watch list of shoplifters. However, stores can manually create their own watch list and pool data with other retailers. Surely nothing could go wrong there. Even excluding AI, retail stores have become a massive surveillance black box. Your photo is taken as you go in and out. Video cameras are at checkout. They know the time you come in, they know what days you shop, what you're buying, They know who you are retailers will justify this invasion of our privacy through AI robots and large scale data collection as necessary for marketing and to protect their capital and employees. Still, I wouldn't blame you for worrying about where that data is going. After all, if police investigators are already attending NRF conventions, and the retailers are happy to work with them, why not other law enforcement? Why not ICE? As it turns out, Congress is having similar thoughts. The House of Representatives just pushed a bill forward that could give ICE access to this massive surveillance drag net, and there's a bipartisan effort in the Senate to include it any National Defense Authorization Act. Why would they do this? To answer that question, we need to look at a recently hyped phenomenon known as organized retail crime. You may have heard the term organized retail crime in the past few years, probably on the news or from a politician hinting at a hidden crisis in our stores. A basic Google Trends report shows use of the term is up two hundred percent in the past five years versus the five years before. Organized retail crime, sometimes referred to as just ORC, is defined by the FBI as the large scale theft of retail merchandise with the intent to resell the stolen items for financial gain. If you've seen the movie I Love Boosters, that's a good satirical example, although the definition is actually quite vague, which can cause a lot of problems. The outlet Retail Dive says the definition is quote neither legal nor precise, contributing to uneven reporting on the part of store workers, loss prevention staff, and police, which results in it often being lumped in with morban aal form of theft such as shoplifting, and this begs the question is organized retail crime actually a thing? It is, but the threat to businesses, prices, and even national security have largely been blown out of proportion. To get a sense of those proportions, here's Iowa Senator Chuck Grassley at a Senate hearing on organized retail theft. He's the chief sponsor of the bill I mentioned earlier, known as the Combating Organized Retail Crime Act or CORKA for short.
Speaker 10: The reality is some of the worst criminal organizations, including cartels, terrorists, and human traffickers, use this type of crime, funding their misdeeds or launder ill gotten proceeds.
Speaker 12: Side note, after hearing how this guy talks, I had to look up how old he is. He's ninety two fucking years old. This old bat that was born in the Great Depression is probably being lobbied till his heart fails. We're going to get into the issues with painting this all as a national security crisis later. But speaking of lobbying, the notoriety of organized retail crime is due in no small part to the National Retail Federation, the host of the aforementioned Loss Prevention Conference and the largest retail lobbying group in the nation. The NRF has spent about fifty million dollars on lobbying since just twenty twenty, according to Open Secrets, and they've been the driving force behind the Combating Organized Retail Crime Act, which passed the House of Representatives on May twelfth with bipartisan support, including one hundred and forty four Democrats, and it may well get lumped in with our defense spending this year. CORCA has a slew of problems, but the general picture is a prosecution and police cracked down around this idea of organized crime in the retail theft world. Despite what the NRF would like you to believe there doesn't appear to be an organized retail theft crisis in the US, or really even a shoplifting crisis in general. With the exception of some large cities, particularly New York City, shoplifting in twenty twenty three was actually lower than pre pandemic levels, according to the Council on Criminal Justice. In twenty twenty two, the Council found retail shrink, the term for lost merchandise from theft or operational errors, was about one point six percent, the same as in twenty nineteen according to the nrf's own data. Before we get too deep, I think it's worth noting measures of shrink are also somewhat imprecise, and a lot of the accessible data surrounding all of this comes directly from the retail lobby, who have an incentive to make problems look worse to justify security policing, price increases, and cutting corners in inventory management. As you'll see, they have some credibility issues as well. You know who else may or may not have credibility issues the products and services that support this podcast, and we're back. In October of twenty twenty three, the NRF claimed to Congress that organized retail crime accounted for nearly half of the ninety four point five billion dollars in SHRINK in twenty twenty one. In reality, Retail Dive found that organized theft accounted for about five percent of SHRINK, meaning the NRF was off by a literal order of magnitude. How did they arrive at such a conclusion. Well, they essentially just took some guy's word for it, specifically Ben Dugan, the former president of the Coalition of Law Enforcement in Retail, a nonprofit whose website currently features a giant, low resolution banner saying Vegas Baby, the nation's largest ARC investigative conference. An NRF spokesperson specifically said their fifty percent claim was an inference made by an analyst based on Dugan's congressional testimony, not actual statistics or data. The NRF retracted the claim about two months later, but the damage was already done. According to the Vera Institute, a nonprofit advocacy group and think tank focused on criminal justice reform, The NRF leveraged its inaccurate data point in a press release, testified to it in congressional hearings, and even spoke about it at a press conference with Senator Grassley. The figure, of course, stirred panic across the country, fueled by viral social media videos showing high profile thefts and retail companies pushing the narrative that they are under attack. In some cases, retailers either closed or threatened to close stores. For example, in San Francisco in twenty twenty one, Walgreens blamed organized retail crime for the anticipated closure of five locations. The closures made it into the national spotlight, but in reality, the locations faced less than two reported shoplifting incidents per month on average over the previous five years. Target had a similar story in New York, Seattle, and San Francisco, blaming retail theft for store closures when nearby locations actually had higher incidences of shoplifting. What actually happened to these stores, My best guess is the shift to online shopping during the pandemic drove down the sales of many brick and mortar locations, but rather than project something that could lower their stock valuation, retailers blamed it on organized theft. Many took up controversial practices such as locking up merchandise, which decreased sales and customers satisfaction. Even Walgreen's chief financial officer, James Cahoe, would later say they quote cried too much unquote about shoplifting when the issue was really overblown. But even with a lack of evidence, the NRF and Senator Grassley refused to back down from their messaging and legislation, and in a lot of ways it worked. Let me play you a clip of Gavin Newsom at a press conference in twenty twenty four signing legislation intended to combat organize retail crime. Here he's surrounded by a number of elected officials, law enforcement leaders, and representatives of retail associations.
Speaker 16: The issue organized retail theft, the issue of serial theft, the issue that is front and center in the consciousness of so many Californians. You see it online social media, you see it on the nightly news. This is the real deal. Grocers and the retailers understand.
Speaker 12: That after the NRF retracted its inflated claim nearly a year prior, organized retail crime was still making headlines and considered a very serious issue, serious enough that Newsome included three hundred and seventy four million dollars in his twenty twenty four budget proposal. To combat retail theft. In that bill, which he happened to sign atop a table covered in orange home depot buckets, it stiffened both enforcement and penalties for retail crime.
Speaker 4: It allowed for.
Speaker 12: The aggregation of theft value from different shoplifting incidents, meaning the value of items can be added up to turn what would be minor charges into grand theft. It also allows police to arrest shoplifters solely based on a witness's sworn state or video footage of a crime. Again, surely nothing could go wrong with that, but the crackdown didn't stop there. In the twenty twenty four general election, California voters overwhelmingly approved Prop thirty six, which made key changes to how thefts are prosecuted. To Newsom's credit, he did not support the proposition. Prior to Prop thirty six, thefts of items worth less than nine hundred and fifty dollars were considered misdemeanors, but now if the individual has two or more past convictions for certain theft crimes such as shoplifting, it could be considered a felony, with a sentence of up to three years in jail or prison. San Diego's District Attorney Summer Stephen really hyped up Prop thirty six as an advancement in fighting organized retail crime. She actually went on the nrf's podcast talk about this. Yes, they have a podcast. It's called Retail Gets Real. It's bad, don't check it out. But here she is with the host having a little laugh about locking people up.
Speaker 17: So we used to have people with like twenty four theft cases. They're all misdemeanors. Some thieves bring a calculator and they're just under nine hundred and fifty dollars. Literally, it's madness.
Speaker 2: Right, got a gun or a calculator? I'm not sure what.
Speaker 12: Yeah, let's joke about mistaking someone for being armed in a store. It's not like that's ever gone poorly before anyways. What's missing from the analysis here is how these laws harm people who aren't necessarily the intended target. A particularly striking example of how this could really fuck someone's life up comes from Pennsylvania. In twenty twenty one, Joseph Sobeluski reportedly misunderstood a discount at an Exxon gas station and accidentally underpaid forty three cents for a bottle of mountain dew Sobuluski had two theft charges in the past ten years, one for a tank of gas and another for a pair of shoes. After the Mountain dew incident, state police arrested him on a felony charge because of a three strikes law in Pennsylvania similar what could happen with Prop thirty six. A judge ordered Sobeluski beheld on a fifty thousand dollars cash only bond, and he faced up to seven years in prison. Fortunately, his public defender successfully argued for his release after seven days, and prosecutors ultimately dismissed the charge. But it's easy to see how this could go wrong for another individual, particularly minorities, who faced disproportionate punishment in our legal system. This style of legislation, intended to target retail crimes, spread like wildfire across the country. According to the text of the twenty twenty five Combating Organized Retail Crime Act, more than thirty state laws have been enacted since twenty twenty two to address organized theft. Common theme stricter penalties and policing. Here's how New York Governor Kathy Hokel put it in her twenty twenty four State of the state address.
Speaker 18: Let's back our businesses, back our businesses and the workers with the full force of the law, and punish those who think they can break the rules with impunity.
Speaker 12: After all, policing and aggressive enforcement are the American way to deal with crime rather than I don't know addressing the root causes, notably poverty and inequality. The pervasive tough on crime mentality doesn't have much evidence backing it up, but of course there is a wealth of research indicating flaws. For one, enforcement is heavily racialized, with black and brown people facing retail theft charges at significantly higher rates than whites. The Very Institute also highlights how increasing sentences as a deterrent doesn't actually work. A twenty eighteen article from Pew Research says states can safely raise their value threshold for what counts as a felony theft without risking more crime. The thirty states that did so between twenty and twenty twelve saw no meaningful increase in property crime or larceny rates. In South Carolina, Pew found that when they doubled the felony threshold from one thousand dollars to two thousand dollars in twenty ten, property crime continued to fall by fifteen in the next three years. Pew also found that the value of stolen goods remained steady, and when adjusted for inflation, the median value actually decreased. In essence, the state level push for these three strikes shoplifting laws and the aggregation of theft value won't meaningfully decrease crime. Rather, it will result in more people, particularly minorities, being locked up for longer sentences than being saddled with felony convictions that hurt their ability to get a job and obtain housing, ultimately increasing the likelihood of committing crimes in the future. The nonprofit think tank Prison Policy Initiative estimates twenty seven point seven billion dollars in annual direct costs of incarceration on individuals and families across the US. Families pay in on bail, legal fees, civil asset forfeiture, commissary for loved ones, and more often going straight to private prison operators. This also doesn't begin to factor in the impacts on children and local communities. The cost of incarceration on the state also needs to be factored in. The California Legislative Analyst Office estimates the annual cost of incarcerating one person in state prison at one hundred twenty seven thousand, seven hundred eighty eight dollars. With massive spending to bolster retail theft enforcement, this could create a compounding problem, costing hundreds of millions. In July of twenty twenty five, Di Stefan wrote in congressional testimonies supporting Korka that her office had prosecuted over two hundred eighteen cases of organized retail crime in just two years. She says these cases involved theft losses of more than two point six million dollars. Putting this into perspective, if even half of those prosecutions resulted in one year sentences in California state prisons, you're looking at an estimate of nearly fourteen million dollars in incarceration costs, over five times the reported theft value. But these thoughts don't really seem to cross the mind of people like Da Stefan or our pals at the NRF.
Speaker 2: This is an argument that drives me crazy, the idea that they're stealing because they can't afford the food to put on the table to feed their children.
Speaker 17: This is their sole job is to rip off your business. That's their blob, that's how they wake up in the morning, and so we didn't want them to wake up as comfortably as.
Speaker 2: The before with their calculator.
Speaker 12: Yes, they paint this image of people almost getting off on doing crime rather than any number of more charitable explanations. At face value, it may just sound like typical high minded bs from an aggressive DA and lobbyist. But obviously, when you think about the position of power someone like Stephan is in, it's pretty sickening. In another section of the NRF podcast episode, they discuss people switching from drug dealing to selling stolen merchandise because of lower penalties, generally glossing over the circumstances that might lead an individual into crime. Stefan even mentions the need to go after quote frontline boosters, the people who are being hired to go into stores and steel, who she admits are often homeless or poor. It's honestly maddening the listening to this. So that's the last quote I'm going to bring from that. Anyways, here's some mats. So in the next episode we're going to dive into the specifics of the corka bill and how Ice has become a key player. But for now I want to end on a note that ties together some of the broader consequences of all this retail theft propaganda. Lobbyists for the bill have a common refrain, quote, organized retail crime is not a victimless crime.
Speaker 2: Unquote.
Speaker 12: I think the same goes for their lobbying. Corka hasn't even passed the Senate yet there may already be some downstream tragedies because of the intensified rhetoric around retail crime. In recent years and months, there have been a number of high profile killings of individuals accused of shoplifting by both shop owners and police. In June of this year, police shot and killed Cohen Wiley, a one year old boy, while responding to a shoplifting call in Senatobia, Mississippi, over allegedly stolen diapers. Police also shot his mother while her friend was driving their car. Authorities claim they tried to stop the vehicle, but the driver nearly hit an officer, a story we've unfortunately become far too familiar with at this point. Wiley's mother disputes that the diapers were even stolen in the first place, and denies that her friend drove towards the officers. Obviously, it didn't matter to the trigger happy cops on the scene, who never should have pointed firearms at the vehicle in the first place. Other similar cases include the killing of Banco Brown, a black twenty four year old trance organizer in San Francisco, by a Walgreen security guard, and the killing of black fourteen year old Cyrus Carmack Belton by a shop owner in South Carolina. In Brown's case, San Francisco, Dia Brooke Jenkins, who ran on a tough on crime agenda, not pursue charges against security guard Michael Arlwaine Anthony, saying he acted in self defense based on video footage. The video shows Brown and Anthony fighting as Brown apparently tried to leave the Walgreens without paying. They grapple on the ground for a minute, then Anthony releases Brown but follows him to the door. Brown stops just outside the store, possibly talking back to the guard. Then the guard pulls his gun and shoots Brown as he turns to run. Brown was unarmed, and in interviews following the shooting, Anthony repeatedly misgendered him for Carmack Belton, his killers. Shop owner cheek. Rick Chow face trial for murder but was found not guilty. The thing is Carmack Belton, ever actually stole anything, not even the water bottles Chow wrongly accused him of. Prosecutors say Chow chase the teenager one hundred and thirty yards outside the store before shooting him in the back. Prosecutors acknowledged that Carmack Belton had a pistol, but said that it fell on the ground in the chase. It seems, based on the reporting, that the only person who claims to have seen the pistol or had it pointed at him was Chow's son. I think all this just goes to show where we place property, even just a few water bottles, snacks, or diapers, relative to human life, especially those in black communities. There's a very clear irony that may reflect the types of enforcement we could see from CORCA, tough on crime for the marginalized, not for those pulling the trigger. There's no easy way to determine whether political statements about retail crime have an effect on police or shop owners, but it's not hard to imagine how a constant bombardment of propaganda could embolden someone to take matters into their own hands. The retail companies are complicit in this. Somehow they've managed to turn a manufacturer's story into a national security crisis where states grant hundreds of millions of dollars to protect corporations. Retailers blame consumers when they failed to hit desired profits, then they raise prices. When that fails, they demonize the poor and rattle on about crime. Then they pilfer our general funds and team up with the police to crack down.
Speaker 2: It's never enough.
Speaker 12: Now they've sucked in the federal government and we could be on the verge of the next upgrade to ice terror, but that'll have to wait for the next episode. We'll see you tomorrow. Welcome back to It Could Happen Here and our Retail Thunderdome. I'm Kevin Foster, and today we're continuing our dive into organized retail crime. In the last episode, I went over the multi year propaganda campaign waged by the retail lobby to make organized retail crime into a national crisis, requiring stricter policing and penalties and investment from all levels of government. I recommend listening to that episode before this one. But in short, huge swaths of politicians bought right in spending hundreds of millions at the behest of retail giants despite a serious lack of evidence. I also touched on the advancements in surveillance at retail stores. Whether we see a rollout of AI powered robots in the coming years may not matter so much as many industry leaders are already implementing facial recognition technology and creating watch lists under the guise of loss prevention. And this surveillance dragnet is a key element in the rising concern around the Combating Organized Retail Crime Act or CORKA, which passed the House of Representatives in May with resounding bipartisan support. In all likelihood, CORCO will be signed into law. In today's episode is about why that is very bad and how it's going to impact the American public, notably immigrants. Let's get right into it. The Combating Organized Retail Crime Act has remained in circulation for years, but to get it over the finish line, the retail lobby and supporters of the legislation and ultimately found a new boogeyman, cargo theft. And this is how they've managed to turn a manufactured retail theft story into a national security problem that demands intervention by the Department of Homeland Security. In a nutshell, the cargo theft narrative has striking similarities to organized retail crime. The American Transportation Research Institute says there's between one point eight billion and six point five billion dollars in yearly losses because of cargo theft, but this includes indirect costs a measure of costs across the entire supply chain in terms of the actual value of goods. Cargo net, a nationally coordinated database placed total cargo theft losses at seven hundred twenty five million across the US and Canada in twenty twenty five, despite total physical losses being under a billion dollars. There have been more attempts to dramatically inflate the numbers. Phil Brink, the quote head of fraud Media and Education unquote at freight Waves, a trucking logistics and news company, estimated the total losses could actually be closer to sixty billion dollars because of under reporting of theft. No clear evidence is provided to back up this assertion other than unnamed experts. If this sounds familiar, it's almost the exact same story as the National Retail Federation's fraudulent organized retail crime numbers, where they inflated their stats by an order of magnitude, mostly based on vibes. And while cargo theft did spike in twenty twenty three, a funny little side note is that AI integration into logistics might be a big part of the problem. Reporting in the news outlet the Lever indicates that instead of modern day highway robberies, cargo theft is beginning to look more like people simply impersonating trucking companies than fooling faulty new AI logistics systems. And once they're cleared by the AI, they can essentially just pick up the cargo and roll off. So between retail crime and cargo theft were essentially operating under two manufactures crises. And yet here's the language any Combating Organized Retail Crime Act quote. Organized theft groups impact the national security of the United States through financing trans national criminal activity and providing profit and proceeds supporting larger criminal goals of the criminal organizations. In other words, retail crime is now a national security threat and it demands the influence of Homeland Security and ICE, specifically Corka, calls for the establishment of a coordination center to combat organized retail and supply chain crime. The DHS Secretary will establish the center, and it will be run by an individual chosen by the Director of ICE. Fantastic in essence, this coordination center will be the hub for federal law enforcement activity and connections between the national and local level and the public and private sector. Obviously, ICE deepening its involvement in our day to day lives is something to be concerned about. But here's where it gets really crazy. The bill states, quote in general, subject to the approval of the director of the center, information that would otherwise be subject to the limitation on the disclosure of confidential information set forth in Section nineteen oh five of Title eighteen United States Code may be shared if such disclosure is operationally necessary unquote. Putting the legalese aside. What this means in practice is that ICE can access confidential and proprietary data from retailers, and because operationally necessary is an extremely broad, undefined term, ICE is essentially given full discretion over what data they can collect. If anyone questions them, they'll likely just say we need to play it safe because organized retail crime is a matter of national security that could finance drug and weapons trafficking, harming Americans. So that retail surveillance dragnet I mentioned in Part one, the AI facial recognition, the robots, the customer profiles, they say can be leveraged to boot customer loyalty. ICE could potentially leverage that data in its immigration crackdown. Imagine a world where ICE knows who is going to witch stores and when. No need for scanning license plates on the streets anymore. Now they can just look up your customer profile and head over to Walmart when you're doing your biweekly grocery run. Given what we've seen in the past year and a half, ICE will likely try to leverage this heavily. They already have facial recognition technology like the mobile Fortify app, which, according to Vanderbilt University's School of Law, is connected to a database of over two hundred million images. The ACLU of Wisconsin states that you may already be in this database, as it's connected to other databases containing federal biometric systems, passport and visa records, and state driver's license photos. A depressing little side note some of this may have been preventable. For example, in Oregon, the state police are being sued for sharing data with ICE, even though they and our governor were worn by Congress members to close certain loopholes that gave ICE access to DMV records. Now, obviously, grocery stores present a significant vulnerability to maintaining our privacy due to basic human needs. Nothing is clearly stopping ICE from running face scans out of retail stores and creating a new front for their anti immigrant crackdown. And there's already a blueprint for this. The ACLU published an article in January this year about Wegmans using facial recognition and sharing data on quote persons of interest with law enforcement on a quote, case by case basis. It's unclear how or if retail stores will challenge ICE's access in any way. As of now, many have been fully on board with the organized retail theft hype train. On the other hand, on May eleventh this year, a coalition of forty civil rights organizations, including the Immigrant Defender's Law Center in the National Association of Criminal Defense Attorneys, sent a letter to Congress urging the House not to pass corka highlighting how it would massively expand DHS's role in authority in domestic law enforcement, and the issues don't end there. They also pointed out how CORCA gives DHS influence over local and state law enforcement through the ability to expand certain grant requirements. In effect, this coalition sees a pathway for DHS to push jurisdictions toward more intrusive data collection and surveillance, especially if that jurisdiction is receiving federal grants. Additionally, the coalition noted how the sunset provision for the CORCA Coordination Center quote includes no requirement to dismantle data sharing systems, delete collected information, or reverse any entrenched surveillance practices quote, So these practices could very well be here to stay without some sort of intervention down the line. Good luck to us trying to get that. I think, as James put it in a conversation we had, it's like trying to convince a bunch of the HOA moms that we need to be softer on real detail crime. It just doesn't really seem like it's going to happen. And unfortunately, this coalition letter largely fell on deaf ears, with only fifty nine Democrats and one Republican voting against Corka in the House. I've spoken with many people about this, and there's often this question of like do they know? And I'd argue, it's their job to know, and this pill is pretty cut and dried power expansion for Ice. It's kind of hard to tell how they wouldn't have seen this coming, especially with progressive groups warning them about it. And by now this coalition has grown to over one hundred and twenty organizations urging the Senate not to pass Corka. In spite of this, in the Senate Judiciary Committee, Republican Senator Chuck Grassley and Democratic Senator Dick Durbin have teamed up to add Corka as an amendment to the National Defense Authorization Act for fiscal year twenty twenty seven. This would essentially just mean entrenching this into our defense policy. And if that happens, which seems somewhat likely, I suspect it's Kurt and Corca is going through. I highly doubt that the Democrats are going to hold the line on the NDAA for something they clearly either don't care about or don't seem to understand. But what they might care about are the products and services that support this podcast, And we're back, and I'm imagining this is starting to sound pretty frightening, and it is to cool the temperature a bit. It's important to consider ICE's capacity for enforcement. They've had ways of accessing various surveillance tools for quite some time now. To some extent, they likely could have done some of this stuff with flock cameras or other automated license plate readers. But I think the threat in retail comes more from the pre existing infrastructure and the fact that this bill seems to give ICE sweeping access to confidential and proprietary information. Still, there are strategies for resisting this, I won't lie. Many of them are time intensive and require consistent community effort, but that's the world we're in. For example, in Hillsboro, Oregon, just west of Portland, local mutual aid groups began delivering groceries to immigrant families who are afraid to go outside in the middle of Operation Black Rows, which was the massive ice surge last fall in winter. In Los Angeles last summer, similar groups set up community defense corners outside home depot parking lots in an attempt to protect day laborers from ice raids. These usually manifested as just pop up tents with community members water and snacks. Certainly didn't stop everything, but I know one group in Pasadena that was allegedly the last home depot in LA to be raided, and they had a consistent community effort for months. In terms of shopping, avoiding loyalty programs may end up being necessary, as this is one of the ways that we hand over a lot of our data to stores. But shopping locally or at stores that collect less data will probably be the best bet. So CORKA clearly has a number of ways that it could be abused by ice. But to get the full extent of what we're dealing with, I got in contact with Laura Conover, who is the district attorney in Pima County, Arizona, which contains Tucson and borders the Mexican state of Sonora. Contrary to Da Stephen featured in the first episode, Conover has actually been an outspoken opponent of CORKA. In particular, she has tied CORKA to the Lake and Riley Act, saying Congress is just compounding mistakes it already made. The Lake and Riley Act became law on January twenty ninth, twenty twenty five, passing Congress again with a substantial amount of bipartisan support greater than sixty percent in both chambers. It's a particularly abhorrent piece of legislation, as a quote requires DHS to detain certain non US nationals who have been arrested for burglary, theft, larceny, shoplifting, assault of a law enforcement officer, or any crime that results in death or serious bodily injury to another person. Notice how it says arrested, not charged, not convicted, but simply detained for one of the crimes listed, even if the individual didn't actually do anything wrong. The law also allows states to sue the federal government for alleged failures and immigration enforcement, meaning the federal government can effectively be held liable for a number of things, such as if an undocumented immigrant causes harm to state residents, including financial harm greater than one hundred dollars. It's tough to say the extent to which this could be applied, but the through line between this and CORKA is pretty clear. ICE could monitor retail locations for thefts and shoplifting through CORCA then they're essentially liable if they don't seek to detain someone who has stolen more than one hundred dollars worth of merchandise. Conover has specific examples of the ways in which the Lake and Riley Act is burdening local jurisdictions, destroying due process protections, and ultimately how CORKA will very likely make this worse. For example, it was Conover's job to prosecute the case of Jessica Corles Duarte, who entered the US when she was two years old with her mother, who had fled domestic abuse in Mexico and obtained legal status through the Violence Against Women Act. Corrales Duarte became a DOCA recipient, and she's now thirty two or thirty three based on the articles that I read, and she has two children. But in the past years she was arrested and charged with shoplifting and theft, and her DOCA status has been terminated. She allegedly stole up to fifty seven hundred dollars in perfume from an Alta beauty location over three days, which put her over the felony theft threshold, though this number is disputed by her defense. She had no prior criminal record, and Conover said based on a tape confession, she likely would have qualified for a program where she could pay restitution and get back on her feet. Then ICE came in. They detained Corles Duarte as she was leaving her home for her waitressing job. The ensuing months where it is at ICE held her at the Elloyd Detention Center, about an hour from Tucson, and blocked her from attending many of the court dates for her shoplifting case. According to an article in the Tucson Spotlight, here's da Conover on the situation.
Speaker 19: So, for example, in our case, the result was just defendants disappearing into federal custody and before any normal process. So you've got a victim who's now totally out of luck for any kind of restoration, be that through probation or through restitution, which is important.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 19: So victim's rights are violated. The defendant obviously gets no due process. You know, in our experience, they hardly had any contact with their attorney, and their attorney was just rendered totally ineffective in the local court. So it confounds the entire normal criminal justice to this process. It's like the opposite of collaboration.
Speaker 12: So not only are Kerles Duarte's rights violated on multiple levels, but it also actually hurts the property owner because they won't receive restitution if someone is deported. It's not clear whether Korles Duarte was involved in some sort of organized retail theft operation, but I want to stress again that the people in such a situation who actually do this dealing, commonly referred to as boosters, are often poor, homeless, or struggling in some way themselves. Many of you probably already know this, but undocumented people commit less crime overall than American citizens. An analysis by the National Institute of Justice using data from Texas between twenty twelve and twenty eighteen found that undocumented immigrants had offending rates less than half of that of US born citizens. This is in spite of the fact that the US fakes it much harder for undocumented people to obtain good paying jobs, which can drive people into poverty and therefore crime. And for all of this conover inform me that corle S Duarte appears to be in process for deportation away from her children. There are just more effective and humane ways to deal with this, like the diversion programs mentioned which don't need to involve the federal government, but instead we're just giving more power ties With.
Speaker 19: Lake and Riley and with Corka, you're talking about such a street level, local issue where we have local police and prosecutors whose entire purpose is to prosecute local crime, and to just give some random federal agency authority over that sweeping new authority of that just doesn't make any sense operationally. Not to mention the particular agency is one in which there's bipartisan concern about how recklessly they're being managed.
Speaker 12: On the note of recklessness, with the expansion of ISIS surveillance network comes greater concern over warrantless enforcement, constitutional violations, and technological mistakes. The podcast Reveal reported a case of ICE scanning the face of a twenty three year old US citizen purely on suspicion, and according to Innovation Law Lab, the same seems to have happened to a woman in Oregon, where Ice used a Palanteer developed platform called Elite, which, without a warrant, essentially geofence is an area and creates targets with a quote immigration nexus. In this case, the mobile Fortify app returned two different incorrect names and images for the same woman. Still ICE has told lawmakers it's a definitive measure of immigration status that effectively supersedes other evidence of citizenship, such as a birth certificate. The National Institute of Standards and Technology has also reported that facial recognition tech is less accurate on women than men, black people, and other individuals with darker skin. This hull gets much worse when you're not in a controlled environment where you can get a well lit, straight on shot of someone's face with no obstruction. Certainly something that isn't going to happen under the floodlights of a grocery store entryway. So again, I can't really say to what extent ICE will actually integrate all of these technologies or what capacity they'll have for enforcement, but it seems like the worst case scenario could be a warrantless surveillance frenzy where they couldn't care less if they're detaining the right people. I say the right people as in the individuals that they're actually targeting, and I don't actually believe there is a right person to be detained.
Speaker 4: It's all bullshit.
Speaker 3: But as Corka also calls for local and federal collaboration, cops could very easily worsen this problem, and ICE can leverage the Lake and rileyac to ramp up deportations. It's not good, but anyways, here's some ads. We're back to round out this two parter and like to connect some of the dots from the first episode to Corca. To do so, I've chatted with James about a concept known as moral turpitude. Moral turpitude is a vaguely defined concept and there's lots of nebulous legal language surrounding it, but in essence, it's a crime that is considered morally offensive and it's important to immigration law. Notably included in this definition is larceny or theft, and a conviction for one of these crimes can render an immigrant either inadmissible or deportable. Here's some of the conversation that James and I had.
Speaker 20: In admissibility could be important for someone who is inside the United States. Let's say they call it ewe entered without inspection. That means coming into the United States, not through a port of entry.
Speaker 5: Right.
Speaker 20: Let's say they went over the wall, under the wall, around the wall, through the river, through the desert, through the mountains. Right, the many ways that people can enter with that inspection, they could then be found inadmissible long after entering the United States because they hadn't been admitted, right, they just came in. Just imagine, like you want to go Disneyland. It's prohibitively expensive, so you climb over defence. You were not admitted to Disneyland. Yeah, right, So if Disneyland found you, they would kick you out. The issue here, Let's say if someone has been in the United States for a number of years but they are undocumented. If they are found guilty of a crime including moral turpitude, or convicted of a crime moral turpitude, and the offense carries a maximum sentence of one year or more and the person committed the offense within five years after the date of admission, they are then deportable. Now if the eweed, if they ended with that inspection, there aout other reasons they could be deportable. Right, But I did say somebody has a visa. The same is true with inadmissibility.
Speaker 12: Right.
Speaker 20: So we recently had a Supreme Court ruling about admissibility with regard to permanent residents, which kind of brings them closer in line to visa holders. But admissibility doesn't just mean them giving you the visa. It could also, for example, impact you if you went somewhere else and return to the United States. Right, So a crime evolving moral TERMSUD could then render you in admissible, so you could be detained or not admitted to the United States when you came back. It's also important, I guess, to note that some diversion programs State diversion programs don't count as a conviction in terms of federal immigration law if a guilty plea is not entered. So if somebody who could previously have got into a diversion program ends up not in a diversion program. In addition to Corker, right, we have all these state sentencing enhancements. Yeah, we see in California. Right, If that person ends up with a conviction instead of being putting a diversion program without entering a plea, that is a night and day different in immigration terms.
Speaker 2: Right, It's black and white.
Speaker 20: One is a conviction for what it's probably a crime evolving moral turpitude, because lars andy is a crime evolving moral turpitude, and I think that's what this generally falls under. Rent again, not a lawyer. But if that is the case, one of these sentencing enhanced and at a state level results in somebody now having, for federal immigration terms, a conviction of a crime involving moral turpitude. They are now inadmissible and in a single conviction, as I said before, can make a non citizen deportable if it has a possible sentence for a year or more, which these sentencing enhancement to make a lot more likely. Right, and good luck, I guess trying to find some way of getting that conviction overturned or like you now you're fighting against all this lobbying that retailers are doing, right, and all this propaganda that has been put out there that is going to make it harder and harder for people to avoid those convictions in the first place, and then to get them overturned.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 12: I don't want to get like to doom and gloom about it, but like, do you worry that there's just a combination of factors here that could massively worsen things with at the level?
Speaker 10: Yeah?
Speaker 20: Yeah, Like every time we make a new law, we're giving a new powers to the state, right, and every single law is backed up by violence a matter of if it's a parking ticket or murder. Right, the state can lock you up, beat you up, or shoot you up. That is the basis on which all laws rest. Right. Yeah, so you don't pick a parking ticket that you don't go to court. Eventually someone's going to turn up, but your Dora is going to be a person with a gun, right, Like, that is the structure on which the state exists to use like the crass Faburian definition of the state. I guess this is a big one, right. We are handing a bunch of tools here to an entity which is tearing families apart, which is ripping children from parents, which is taking grandmothers away from their grandchildren.
Speaker 12: Right, yeah, I mean what do you Maybe this isn't for the episode, but like, what do you think people should do?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 20: Like, the answer to this is the same as an answer to everything. It's stronger. Community is Like, people steal things because they need to meet their material needs. Sure, some people also enjoy stealing stuff, Right, that's the thing that exists, But the vast majority of FAFT is happening because people are not meeting their material needs. We need to work out a way to meet each other's material needs. And like I was in Minneapolis in January, right, yeah, very hard for me to be hungry in Minneapolis in January. Like I'm vegan, I'm annoying to feed, right, but people would constantly bring me fucking food and hot tea. And like that's not the be all end all, but gets us a long way there. Like if your neighbors aren't hungry, and I guess to know if your neighbors are hungry, you have to know who your neighbors are, right, So like, start by knocking on someone's door, you know, start by your truck's not working. Let's work it out. I bet I can find a YouTube video. We can watch you. You have a bunch of sockets. Let's see how we can fix it.
Speaker 12: So I know the ending of this is sort of bleak, but I just want to be honest with you about the possibilities. If I used this to take Korka as far as they can, as Da Conover told me, you give them an inch and they take a mile, then this will get very bad. Surveillance capitalism isn't going to draw a line at immigrants, but that doesn't really matter either way. Clearly, the Democratic Party, given their votes support is not going to stop this. As James said, It's going to come down to community. So go find your co op grocery store. Get to know your neighbors' faces before Ice gets to know your face at.
Speaker 5: The grocery store.
Speaker 1: Thanks for listening.
Speaker 11: There were some strange looking at people at RNC. This is it could happen here at Executive Disorder Hour, with the newscast covering what's happening in the White House, the crumbling world, and what this means for you. I'm Garrison Davis to They am joined by Robert Evans and Mia Wong, with a special segment later on by James Stout, who is on the ground in Spokane. This episode recovering the week of July twenty ninth to August fifth, And let's actually start with James reporting from the wildfires in Spokane.
Speaker 20: Hi, everyone, it's James. I'm in Washington State this week covering the fires here. I will cover more in depth on my new show Natural Courses, which you will soon be able to download wherever quality podcasts given away for free, but I want to catch everyone up on the fires here. As an a little folk prefer to consume then news this way and might otherwise not be aware of what's going on. So on the first of August, the National Weather Service in each Washington and in Idaho issued a PDS, a Particular Dangerous Situation Notice. Fires were already burning across much of the state and across much of the Pacific Northwest, including on the land of the Colville Tribes and the Spokane Tribe. On Saturday, three fires struck near the north part of the city of Spokane. The PDS doubtless helped some folks prepare other folks, I'm sure will have missed it entirely. Very quickly, people went from nothing to level three go now warnings. This was somewhat compounded by things like a large travel volleyball tournament happening in an area which got a level three go now warning. What that means if you're not familiar. There are three levels of warnings when you are evacuated for a fire, and their level three is the most severe one, that being like you have to leave your home right now. Several people have related to me, and I want to caveat here that I'm not being critical of the response, which has actually been very good. I'm giving information because more people are going to find themselves in this situation in the future. And I think is important that people understand that the level three warning that buzzed on people's phones of the emergency alert came not very long before they saw fires and even structures on fire in the neighborhood.
Speaker 10: Right.
Speaker 20: I think people sometimes think that someone will come and tell you when it is your time to leave, and that's not always going to be possible, right, And again, I'm not conveying that to say that, like the response here was poor.
Speaker 2: I'm conveying that to say that.
Speaker 20: People need to understand this because we're all going to have to live with fire in the West because there has always been fire here. The climate is changing and we are pushing our homes further and further into the wildland urban interface, and that is where this fire began. Right on Saturday. This state was a tinderbox, and it was these neighborhoods along the wildland urban interface that caught the brnt of these fast moving fires that had a plentiful source of fuel and were pushed along.
Speaker 2: By the wind.
Speaker 20: Currently, about a third of the two hundred thousand people who live here in Spokane have been placed under evacuations orders and the community is obviously feeling the way of that, along with the hundreds of people who lost their homes and all their possessions. Here notable points of the evacuations included buses evacuating people from Old Folks homes and a VA hospital was also evacuated by buses. And of course many people left their homes in their cars with their possessions, their pets, their families, etc. And of course that resulted in very slow moving traffic. Nonetheless, from what I heard this morning, seems everyone evacuated in time at least to save themselves. I know many people will be dealing with tragedies right They've lost their homes, people will have lost pets, people will have lost things that are incredibly important to them.
Speaker 4: I spoke to.
Speaker 20: People out on the Covial Tribes reservation who were saying they had lost homes that their father, mother, grandparents built with their hands, right these intergenerational homes that had gone. That is absolutely tragic. I want to give an update that I got this morning from a public information officer of the IMT that's managing this fire, so we'll drop that in right now.
Speaker 5: My name's Tom Stokesbury.
Speaker 15: I'm the lead public information officer for California Interagency Incident Management Team seven. So right now, there's three fires that make up the Spokane area fires. That's going to be the Fairview Fire, the Old Trails Fire, and the Autumn Lane Fire. Currently all totaled in the acres is ten five hundred and forty But over the last twenty four hours, our firefighters have made tremendous progress in putting control lines in around the entire perimeter of all three fires. Now that doesn't mean the fires contained or controlled. We just have those management and control lines. There still have an active firefight. Sty'll have active flames in the interior. To the point, on the Old Trails and Fairview fire, we actually had a spot outside the line on each one of those that went to about an acre acre and a half, but we had the resources in the right place and they were able to pick those up at about one acre each. So that just kind of proves that there's still active heat hot spots in this interior and that's why we have engines and all three of these fires still protecting the structures that have not been impacted yet because any kind of wind can throw embers, and right now, the receptive fuels in this area. In by fuels, I mean the vegetation that is so dry, right your grass, your brush, it's very receptive to those embers. Proof being is the two spot fires. But we have thirteen hundred firefighters here. We're expected to be over two thousand by the end of the week.
Speaker 20: I also asked about the number of structures impacted and when people here can expect to return home. And here's what Tom said.
Speaker 15: Right now, we're well over seven hundred structures that have been impacted. We do have damage assessment personnel ordered and en route. It's my understanding they'll be showing up today and we'll have them on the ground tomorrow. So we're going to start to get a more accurate number of what those impacted structures look like versus a total loss to just an impacted structure. And those structures include not only people's personal homes, but garages, outbuildings, sheds. But we're going to get a better accurate number on those over these next few days, trying to get these communities back to where we can get them repopulated. But in addition to that, there there's a tremendous amount of hasmat in there. We're talking burned solar panels, we're talking LPG, possible gas leaks, the building materials from homes that have been burnt, the stuff that's inside those homes. There is a lot of hazmat. So we have to ensure the public is going to be safe before we repopulate and let them back in there, because our ultimate goal is life first, then property, and that life is not just firefighters, it's the public safety.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 20: Well, I was at the fire based camp also ran into local community members and businesses who are helping out. People were constantly dropping off food and snacks and supplies. His One local business owner who explained his efforts to.
Speaker 7: Me, So, my name is Tim Codzy. I'm with JK. Boots. I'm one of the owners with my brother, and.
Speaker 20: I asked him what him and his company we're doing to support the community.
Speaker 7: On Wednesday, August fifth, we're doing something home Front Day. We're going to donate one hundred percent of all the profits of that day to the Spokane residents who lost their homes so they could do that, they could participate just on our website and just do something, just get something and that'll go to those people. The other things you can do is you can come here and you can offer to drop off you know again, drinks, wipes, essentials. You can look on Facebook, they've posted those things. The other big thing is just there's other funds that are set up that have like meal trains, and because there's about sixty thousand people that are still not a bit not able to go back to their homes.
Speaker 20: Yeah, yeah, what's happening in Spokene is tragic and it is going to impact this community for years to come. It will take a very long time for rebuilding to happen, and probably even longer for people to heal emotionally. I want to make sure that we do not overlook the several large ongoing fires are impacting the indigenous communities around the city though, because as resources shift to the fires that then the city, these communities will see fewer resources, and indeed they already have seen fewer resources. I spent the last couple of days visiting the Colville Tribes Reservations Spokane Tribe Reservations.
Speaker 2: Today.
Speaker 20: I spoke to folks who would cut their own file around their homes and communities who were prepared to fight the fire. And indigenous people here have lived with fire for thousands of years, right, They have a deep understanding of fire, and people there had decided to stay and to defend their communities, even in areas that were impacted by Level three evacuations. Not everybody, right, Some people who were more vulnerable, Some people who were not able to pass this bit in that response or didn't feel safe doing so, left, and the folks stayed. As resources continue to be diverted to fight these fires and spokene, and as news coverage will continue to center on the city, folks who lost their homes out in these tribal communities will also need help, and it might be harder for them to find it. Some of these people are still in their homes. Just today, I spoke to several people who determined to do the hardest to save their homes and hoping that the wind doesn't pick up. They're cutting their own fire lines. In several cases, forestry and mining workers as well as tribal community members who were on contract fire crews, have been using their machinery and their skills to clear space and create better firebreaks around their communities. It's a really tragic and difficult situation, especially when combined with this reporting that I will link to of Red Cross volunteers making racist remarks shelters that made Indigenous folks feel unwelcome there. I don't think I need to repeat those, but I will link to the story if you'd like to read it. It is also, of course amazing to see the strengths and resilience of communities coming together to take care of one another in these tragic situations. I particularly want to highlight the work of the River Warriors Society. I spend today with them moving supplies from one reservation to another. I will include a link to the Spokane Tribal Network, which people can use if they'd like to donate to support that mutual laid work. They're really doing excellent work. They're getting people what they need, They're filling those gaps. They're moving more quickly than big organizations of big government things can even tribal governments where it will require paperwork, whereas what they're doing is literally standing at gas stations using cards to pay for people's gas so they can get where they need to go right, getting people hotel rooms, getting people food, getting people the things they need to get through this and to begin healing. Today, I help load hundreds of pounds of pet food and animal food into a trailer, for instance, so that people who need to feed their animals don't have to drive for hours away from their homes right when the risk of fire is high and they want to stay home and do what they can to protect their homes. They're really doing excellent work, and I would encourage you to support them movie you have the resources. I will have more of this when I get home. Currently, really tired, smell like a campfire, and I am in the bathroom of a motel because it is the only quiet place I could find. If you'd like to donate, I would suggest the Spokane Trible Network and I'll include their web address. It's Spokantrible Network dot org, not hard to find. I will also include the Innovia Foundation web page for donation to folks in Spokane and their ongoing recovery. And yeah, I'll have more on this soon.
Speaker 21: Everyone.
Speaker 20: Again, just a little pick up here that I wanted to add. Someone has been arrested for arson in connection with the Autumn Trails fire. I want to remind everyone that an arrest is not a conviction. There were three fires and impacted spoken and that fire needs more than ignition, right to spread in the way that they did here. It needs fuel crucially in this example, and that fuel was already there.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 20: That's why I wanted to highlight the PDS that was issued on the first of August. Now, I also want to address these conspiracy theories.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 20: The most common conspiracy theory seems to be that this was an attempt by big data center companies to clear a block of land in order to have a place where they could put a data center. I can tell you that I've spent the last two days driving hundreds of miles around eastern Washington. There is plenty of land where you could put a data center here without burning down the neighborhood. Data centers aren't that they are destroying so many beautiful places and so many wonderful things. It doesn't mean that they are comic book evil all the time. I think we need to inject a little rational thought here. We don't have any evidence that it was a data center. We did, then people would be presenting it. But the data center hypothesis seems to rest on people want to build the data center near here, therefore burn down neighborhoods, or the relatively common and frequently recurrent fifteen minute cities conspiracy theory, which suggests that rather than fifteen minute cities being an aspirational goal for urban planning and a framework around which you consider permitting, building and potentially growing our cities, they are some kind of George Sorrows mandated dictat that is now being enforced by burning people's neighborhoods down in suburban areas. Again to support that other than this wasn't a city that, you know, the fifteen minute city people consider to be a fifteen minute city. I want to address these things because they come up every single time there's a fire, and I think we need and we're going to talk about this more in my show Natural Causes, which you can hear from seventeenth of August wherever Good Podcast giving away for free. There are going to be fires in this ecosystem forever. There have been fires, since there have been plants to burn. Lightning started fires before people ever did. But the people who have been here for tens of thousands of years have lived along side fire for all that time. We can't entirely suppress fire and remove it from our landscape. This landscape needs fire, and it evolved co evolved with fire. But there are ways that we can prevent fire from doing what happened today, but they require a lot of effort, they require a lot of resources, and they require some rethinking of how we live along. That's something I'd like to approach later and in more detail. But I guess I just wanted to address these conspiracy theories because I see more and more of them. Also want to point out that there is no meaningful restitution that be astracted from one person if that person did start the fire. Healing doesn't come from punishing someone, comes from helping someone. And in this situation, there are hundreds of families who lost their homes, both on the Coval Tribes reservation, the Spokane Tribe Reservation, and here in Spokane the city, and I think the focus should be on how to help those people and how to help them heal, rather than blaming one person who may have started this fire, who may not write. We haven't got a conviction yet, but either way, I want people to remember that this is about a lot more than one person.
Speaker 11: Thank you, James. In other news, on Monday, A federal judge issued a preliminary injunction blocking New York's ban on ice agents wearing manks. New York State is suing to shut down Calshie for operating as an unregulated sports betting platform that offers illegal underage gambling. The state is also seeking thirty six billion dollars in penalties, and this lawsuit comes after a district court ruled against Calshi in their bid to protect itself from the enforcement of New York's gambling laws. Prior to this lawsuit from the state, Calshe attempted to bribe Governor Kathy Hokel by offering ten billion in tax revenue over five years. The governor responded on the everything app quote, Calshi can promise one hundred percent of its revenue. You can't buy yourself an exemption from New York law. If an i legal bookie offers this state a share of their profits, will still shut them down unquote. In response to a lawsuit from Trump accusing Capital One of unlawfully closing his bank accounts for political reasons, a Capital One is revealed in court filings that the Trump or organization bank accounts were closed in twenty twenty one for quote unquote anti money laundering reasons, following quote months of analysis and careful review by the bank's money laundering team. A few wants prior to the closure of Trump's accounts, Capital One had to pay a three hundred and ninety million dollar penalty to the Financial Crimes Enforcement Network for not enforcing an effective anti money laundering program. Acting Attorney General Todd Blanche's Senate confirmation hearing is coming up, but last week President Trump said he would keep Blanche on as acting Attorney General if Blanche doesn't get confirmed, and just try to nominate him again after the midterms. The US Attorney has dropped charges against three people who were accused of damaging the Lincoln Memorial reflecting Pool. The motion to dismiss the felony charge against the former Olympic athlete claims that it wasn't until after he was indicted that the Department of Interior gave evidence over to prosecutors that quote damaged to the Lincoln Memorial Reflecting Pool in July twenty twenty six was the result of flawed installation by the contractor and the rush to complete the project prior to events associated with America two fifty celebration in the weeks surrounding Independence Day twenty twenty six. The motion also states, quote is difficult to attribute the widespread damage to the reflecting pool to vandalism unquote. Of course, Trump was not too happy about this, turning to truth social to say, I disagree one hundred percent with the Chennin Piro, the US attorney for the District of Columbia on the reflecting Pool. I don't know what she was thinking. To me, it was a pure case of vandalism in all caps. That includes the grass which had a big eighty six forty seven emblazoned in giant letters on it, Oh my god, and many other elements of the surrounding area.
Speaker 2: Ah god, ah god, oh God.
Speaker 11: There may have been some contract or difficulty, but the major damage was caused by vandals. President dj T. The President later said that Piro quote unquote folded like an umbrella end quote. Frankly, I think she choked because the judge was really vicious unquote. There was some speculation that he might fire the US attorney. That has not happened as of yet, but who knows.
Speaker 2: You know, it's it's the Trump administration. Things could have changed by the time we finished recording this. Yeah, there's I got thirty percent chance things will have changed by the time we finished recording this.
Speaker 11: Obviously, it's good that these charges were dropped. It was very clear that the damage to the reflecting pool was not done by vandals.
Speaker 2: No, and that fucking late, middle aged former olympian bending briefly down to touch the water did not cause one hundred and fifty foot cut in the fucking in this central Absolutely not.
Speaker 4: Oh god.
Speaker 11: Ohio House Rep. Max Miller, who's accused of abuse and breaking his two year old daughter's collarbone, which we covered last week, posted a video this week addressing the allegations made by his ex wife, saying, quote if I had assaulted her, would she have offered to cook me dinner six days later? Un quote. The next day, Trump was questioned about Miller and said this.
Speaker 22: It's a very sad thing. I know Max, he said, it's a good person. I mean, I always thought he was a very good person. And I'm gonna let the families figure that out. Those families, I know they're working on it. It's a very sad thing, especially when you know somebody so well could be going through that when it's accusations, and I'm gonna let them figure that out.
Speaker 11: On Tuesday, it was announced the House Ethics Committee would open investigation after Miller himself requested a probe into the allegations. Let's go to an ad break and then return to talk about the primary elections in Michigan and Missouri.
Speaker 21: Yeah, okay, we are back.
Speaker 11: This past Tuesday, left wing populist candidate Abdul el Said beat corporate backed and APAC backed candidate Hailey Stevens in the Democratic Senate primary in Michigan. In the week prior to the election, pulling and showed el Said pulling way ahead by double digits, but from election night he won by just one point forty eight point five percent to Stephen's forty seven point five percent. Very close race. Great The more traditional progressive candidate Mallorie McMorrow, who suspended her campaign months ago, got four percent of the vote over sixty thousand votes. El Sayid ended up winning by j fifteen thousand votes. But the fact that Tuesday wasn't a total blowout for el Sayid should not take away from the magnitude of this victory. Hailey Stevens had nearly seventy million dollars of outside spending helping her in this race, about half of which came from APAC. Elseayid was outspent eleven to one. For the past month, Pro Stevens ads have completely dominated the airwaves.
Speaker 2: Jesus, I didn't know it was that big a discrepancy in funding. That's crazy.
Speaker 11: It's a brutal This is the most expensive Democratic Senate primary and history. A pack and dark money really rallied for Stevens, especially in this past month.
Speaker 2: Whoops.
Speaker 11: Some of those ads and mailers just completely blanketing Michigan falsely implied that Stevens was endorsed by Barack Obama, which some voters cited as their reason for supporting Stevens. Other ads tried to smear Abdul as a sexist podcast bro for comments critical of Michelle Obama and Gretchen Whitmer's politics. Stevens received the endorsement of Michigan's sitting governor, Gretchen Whitmer, as well as multiple Democratic Establishment figures Pelosi, Jim Cliburn, as well as the Michigan Democratic Party Black and Jewish caucuses. Israel and Palestine became a central issue in this race. In the last two debates, Abdul hit Stevens again and again over APAC and corporate funding. In the final debate, even the moderator questioned Stevens on whether her APAC funding would influence how she votes in Congress. Also in that last debate, Stevens lied on stage about taking money from utility companies. In an interview just a week before the election, Stevens addressed the attacks over dark money funding. Quote, it seems like we got the campaign finance zoomis Jesus Christ. We've got to be really honest here. Who's benefiting from this level of infighting. It's the republic kids who've already have all their dark money all lined up and ready to go. Unquote. Let's take a listen to what those campaign of finance zuomies can buy you in the Senate.
Speaker 1: Israel comes to me in my dreams. I see Israel's future, and I know that Israel.
Speaker 2: Will continue to exist for.
Speaker 11: The Jewish people, just the Zuomies.
Speaker 12: It's fine everyone, It's the Zuomies God, and she's Christ.
Speaker 11: I will not stop playing that clip because it's one of the craziest things to have A then sit in Congress person say.
Speaker 2: Yeah, now, Hailey.
Speaker 11: Stevens tried to attack Abduel for having a super pack off his own, primarily funded by his father in law, who did donate three hundred thousand dollars to the pack, which was the highest individual contribution. You know, three hundred thousand dollars from his father in law versus seventy million dollars of outside sped. Dick is christ not a very compelling argument, but that was that was one of the main things that Stevens tried to hit Abdul law during the last two debates when he brought up the massive amount of eight pack spending backing her campaign. Abdul has worked in public health since twenty fifteen, and for Senate he ran on Medicare for All and abolishing medical debt, which he did for three hundred thousand residents of Wayne County in twenty twenty four as director of the county Health Department. His platform also includes repealing Medicaid cuts from Trump's quote unquote beautiful bill, codifying reproductive rights, and protecting gender affirming care. His quote unquote money out of Politics plank includes getting rid of Citizens United to stop dark money packs, ending partisan gerrymandering, supporting Supreme Court reform, getting rid of the filibuster, abolishing ICE and at quote ICE funds should be repurposed to build out the legal infrastructure of courts to create a clear pathway to citizenship for those who are stuck in limbo in our current system. Abduel supports Ukraine and opposes quote the illegal and unjustifiable war in Iran. He also opposes quote direct blank check funding to foreign militaries including Egypt, Israel, Saudi Arabia, the UAE, and others. And he supports an immediate arms embargo on Israel and rejects quote the false differentiation between offensive and defensive weapons, which is a reference to the Iron Dome. His Money in Your Pocket platform includes an anti monopoly FTC trade agreements negotiated with unions, restoring funding to the NIH, opposing private school vouchers, tying increases in the defense budget to an equal increase in education funding, Taxing capital gains over a million dollars at the same rate as ordinary income, closing loopholes used by the ultrawealthy, raising the marginal tax rate on earnings over one million, and a billionaire tax. He also supports a cost of living exemption on federal taxes up to fifty thousand dollars and closing the Social Security payroll tax cap. For housing, his platform aims to streamline local regulations to make it easier to build, while banning large corporations that speculate on housing stock from owning homes and supporting legislation to ban algorithmic rental price fixing software. El Said supports regulating AI companies, creating an independent technical agency with real enforcement power for AI, which he cites the FDA as an example, but having basically an FDA type organization to regulate and handle AI. He also is in support of federal zoning guidelines and legislation to protect communities from the consequences of data centers. In a primary debate, el Said said that data center projects must meet the following terms quote all union labor, no raising our utility rates, increasing our utility reliability, not touching our water. And there's got to be a community benefits agreement that's negotiated in good faith with all the money put into escrowow el Said is not a DSA candidate. He does not call himself a socialist, but he was endorsed by Bernie Sanders AOC and can paint with Hassan Piker. He's also been backed by the UAW, National Nurses United, the Working Families Party, Jewish Voice for Peace, and If Not Now. A few days before the primary, but after polling indicated that Abdul would likely be the nominee, incumbent Republican Senator Mike Rodgers released an AI generated ad depicting Abduel as a communist trojan horse. Let's take a listen.
Speaker 4: They'll never see us coming.
Speaker 21: They really think we're just democrats.
Speaker 2: God Jesus Christ. Every AI ad, I hear Jeff Goldblum's fucking voice say, you were so obsessed with whether or not you could you didn't stop to think, you know, should we? Is this a good idea? Is this ad going to work?
Speaker 11: So basically, this ad has a trojan horse rolling into Michigan with a large banner reading definitely not Communism. Inside the horse of Duel is dressed as Odysseus from the Nolan movie, along with Bernie Sanders IOC and so on, Mom Donnie. Text at the end reads don't let communism into Michigan. Mike Rogers for US said it, I think Mike Rogers should keep releasing ads just like this, nothing else. I wanted him just to keep releasing these ads. I think that'll be great.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 11: Rogers did release the statement after Abdul's victory. Quote, I spent years hunting terrorists and bringing Osama bid Laden to justice. Never in a million years did I think that I would be running against someone who believes America deserved nine to eleven unquote. Abdul has never said that, obviously.
Speaker 3: And I also think that this is a example of just the sheer level of racism that has defined this campaign. And we also saw versions of this with Mom Donnie. But like, just the the unhinged amount of Islamophobia that has been leveled against Ae just really really disturbing.
Speaker 2: And it's gonna get worse. Yeah, it's gonna get so much worse.
Speaker 15: Yeah.
Speaker 3: But it's also like this is an example of his almophobia from the Republicans, for the Democrats have been doing it too, and it's extremely bleak the extent to which this is just a thing you can do running a political campaign.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's interesting because it isn't entirely, at least lately to their benefit either, Like it it recently really screwed them over in another Michigan race, right like Michigan's eighth district, the Republican primary between Thomas J. Smith, Amir Hassan and Al Limo. Thomas Smith took ahead even though he had like suspended his campaign this campaign, like more than a month ago. Amir Hassan had been endorsed by Trump and is not a Muslim, but has a name that kind of sounds like he would be like two a racist and so like it beasts. That's the suspicion as to why Hassan did not do better against someone who was not actively running.
Speaker 11: Yeah, was not campaign.
Speaker 2: A lot of anger on truth social by MAGA people who thought that Trump had endorsed a Muslim. Yeah, yeah, it's just I mean, like the level of bigotry is off the chart. It's interesting that it doesn't seem to or at least in this case, it torpedoed a Republican but not a Democrat, which I do think is kind of fun. But yeah, the overall trend is very much not fun.
Speaker 11: On a similar sort of note, last week, the Michigan State AGDNA Nessl announced at an ADL quote unquote anti Semitism roundtable great that she would not be attending the Michigan nominating convention for their Democratic nominee over fears of being booed for working with Trump and cash Hotel's FBI to indict the pro Palestine student protesters in June.
Speaker 23: I'm not going to be attending the nominating invention for the Michigan Democratic Party in August, and that is because of both state going.
Speaker 24: I feel like my presence is not even involved.
Speaker 23: I don't want to get it chased around. I don't want to get a prass.
Speaker 3: I don't want to in screedia.
Speaker 17: I don't want to get booed off.
Speaker 23: The stage, irrespective of what I'm saying. And I believe that if I go, that is both It's been happening to me.
Speaker 11: Gad fucked fuck yeah, which good like you are?
Speaker 3: You are by definition a collaborator for having participated in this. That is like the the absolute bare minimum of accountability that you should be facing is that you should be booed every single place you go to.
Speaker 11: Her office has tried for years to go after propels and protesters, and has been forced to drop charges because her office was specifically discriminatory, and she only got her way via teaming up with the Trump admin and cash hotels FBI to go after student protesters. This is something she's been trying to do for literal years and has been unable to because her her office is too racist.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and again also like student protesters were horribly brutalized by the police repeatedly. Is I think most people who listen to this remember to some extents.
Speaker 4: But Yeah.
Speaker 11: Also in Michigan, DSA endorsed Rashida Telib handily won her reelection in the District twelve primary with seventy four percent of the vote. Also in Michigan, left wing populist and co founder of the Sunrise Movement, William Lawrence won the Democratic primary for House District seven with about fifty six thousand votes. Two more kind of moderate candidates each got thirty five thousand votes, so there is a sort of moderates split here. Lawrence will now be facing the Republican incumbent Tom Barrett, who won by just four points in twenty twenty four. There's two hundred and twenty six thousand votes to two hundred and nine thousand votes, so this could end up being a close race. Really depends on voter turnout.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 11: Now, Lawrence is a member of DSA but is not DSA endorsed, though he does have the endorsement of Sanders El said Rashida talib Rocana, the Nurses Union, Working Families Party, and track a PAK.
Speaker 2: Quick update here.
Speaker 11: Lawrence went on CNN a Wednesday night to clarify that while he used to be a member of DSA, he let his membership lapse last month. In the weeks before the election, Lawrence was attacked by the Democratic Establishment and the Congressional Black Caucus for being quote unquote racist because of a quote from a podcast conversation on black liberation and black anti war activism with an activist named Hui Peterson Smith. I'll read the full quote here that was clipped and spread around mainly by huff Post. Quote the extent to which the older generation of black political leadership are such a pillar, frankly for establishment, capitalist, imperialist American power through their role as this kind of traditionalist establishment is pillar of the Democratic Party. It's a big problem. It's a big problem for left politics in this country, and it gets us every single time. It really the white left and puts us in impossible positions. Really, quote Willly Lawrence told huff Post quote, I've tremendous respect for black community leaders who have been at the forefront of the fight for freedom for centuries. This was in the context of a wide ranging conversation with a guest on the show about racial dynamics in progressive politics. I regret how this specific point was expressed unquote, and yes, absolutely there is no reason to say the white left there specifically, this harms the entire left. There's really no reason to say that. This is part of a larger conversation in this podcast he was having about racial dynamics in like left wing spaces. But I think that is a bad thing to say. Lawrence added to his statement online, quote, the way I made this point was clumsy, and I regret my choice of words. I understand the potential impact when received out of context. The way the story is being reported does not reflect my beliefs. National elected leaders across race, ethnicity, age, and gender had been supporters of unnecessary US wars. This poses a challenge to the anti war movement. Americans of all races and ages must work together to advance peace. Until we do our resources, we'll go to funding war and genocide abroad rather than investing in infordable housing and healthcare, or closing the racial wealth gap. DSA candidate Donovan McKinney beat Democratic incumbent Shri Tanadar by almost four percent about four thousand votes in House District thirteen, another close race. It was looking like Shri might pull ahead earlier in the night, but Donovan did end up winning and will now likely become another DSA congressman. Tanadar was backed by Apak Hakeem Jeffries, the Congressional Progressive Caucus, and the center left New Democrat Coalition. But it's not all wins in Michigan. Kyle Blomquist, another DSA candidate for Congress in Michigan House District one, lost to Moderate Hayley Barr, who will now face the Republican incumbent in the general. And DSA endorsed Asha Farruki lost to pro Israel Democrat Jeffrey Moss for Hailey Stephens House seat. So those are the two main losses for DSA last Tuesday, both US House seats in Michigan, though I think it is interesting to note that Detroit is now the only major city in the country to be fully represented in the US House by DSA candidates and two Day Say candidates for the Michigan State House also won their primaries. In Missouri, Corey Bush lost her comeback bid to incumbent Wesley Bell, who was backed by a pack and was also really really outspent, and the Kansas City DSA endorsed candidate Harzel Gray lost his primary for House District four by just under two thousand vo very close race, so lots of wins, some losses, but even just l said winning is probably the biggest blow to a pack that we've seen yet. Like like I said, this is the most expensive Democratic Senate primary in history in a state with open primaries, where tens of millions of dollars in ad spending can go really far in rural areas and with older, low info voters, a left wing Muslim candidate overcoming both a PAC and the Democratic establishment in a swing state is a massive victory. I have one final little election update for the gobnatorial race in Ohio. Oh God, because in late July, Republican nominee for governor, the veck Ramaswami, spoke or tried to speak at the Young Americans for Liberty National Convention, an annual ron Paul Esque convention for young libertarian conservatives at Xavier University in Cincinnati, Ohio. Ramaswami Is speaking block was for thirty minutes. He lasted fourteen before being booed off stage. Let's take a lesson.
Speaker 16: Truth of the matter is, you know, no matter what happens in whichever direction goes people, my.
Speaker 2: Generational party made it. We're gonna be fun.
Speaker 1: It's gonna be your generation.
Speaker 21: You're a political green and you need to do.
Speaker 2: Seems like it's going great.
Speaker 11: So there are two cuts in that club. But all that audio is from the last like two minutes of his speech. Ramaswami was also booed as he first went onto stage.
Speaker 2: Great sign, Great sign, And.
Speaker 11: Throughout the fourteen minutes he was heckled over Israel, H one, B, visas, data centers, energy prices, and his comments about how the socialist government sees your home as a wealth asset, to which people in the crowd responded, we can't afford a home.
Speaker 2: Great, isn't the whole premise of our economy that your home is like a wealth asset? Right?
Speaker 10: Like?
Speaker 11: Yeah, no, that's socialism, Robert.
Speaker 2: Doesn't everyone who owns a home seat their home that way. Isn't that like the how all of the US economy is predicated on. I cannot emphasize this enough.
Speaker 3: Literally, this distinction between between your house as a wealth asset and your house.
Speaker 2: And you living in it. This is Chapter one of Capital. Yeah, that's a wild state.
Speaker 11: Well exactly that is communist, That is kind I think I think that that is exactly Ramaswami's point Throughout this fourteen minute speech. He tried to say that, like, the true divide in this country isn't isn't democrats as Republicans, but winners versus whiners. So why would you be a whiner and complain about all these things when you could just win? And this actually mirrors one of Hailey Stephens kind of late campaign tactics to refer to people to her left as being part of the quote unquote complaining class. Any like DSA, any kind of socialist person is part of the complaining class. Anyone talking about you know, a pak Israel, They're just complaining. Did not work out for Stevens, as we know, and this might not work out for Ramaswami either. Last month, the Cook Political Report switched the Ohio gobnatoil race from Lean's Republican to toss up and the latest New York Times Siena pol from late July has the race in a tie.
Speaker 1: All I have to add is that it's funny.
Speaker 11: Yeah, it is funny.
Speaker 1: And I picture him walking around the RNC like once a month. He looked like a sad little.
Speaker 11: Guy, not that little. His hair was very tall.
Speaker 1: His hair was very tall.
Speaker 17: His veneers, we were very right, were veneering.
Speaker 11: In the presidential race. You know, me and Robert were talking about how much, you know, Ramasamm was trying to go after this sort of like like groiper type of young, young conservative, right, that that was kind of what his like affect. That's a lot of stuff he was talking about, seemed seemed to be rooted in and at this you know, young Conservative convention, he was like loudly rejected. Right, this is the type of person that he's like trying the most to appeal to in some ways, or at least used to. This was also the case when he was doing campaign events with Charlie Kirk, one of which I went to in Georgia before the presidential election. But he was he was definitely trying to go after this sort of like young male Republican and like get make sure you mobilize them to the polls. Like that could be the thing that tips over the race, is like getting like young Republican males, and at least for the governatorial race, his strategy of like, you know, it's up to you to fix everything, Actually, millennials are going to be fine, don't complain too much might not actually help mobilize young voters in support of his campaign. So we will see how that goes come November. Let's pivot to ads and then return for some prediction market and tariff news, two great tastes that go great together.
Speaker 2: And we're back. So I wanted to talk a little bit more about the munition's crisis. I've reported several times on the growing munitions crisis that the US military faces, not just but largely as a result of our war of choice with AROD advanced munitions. Though like one hundred and fifty five milimeters artillery rounds have been stretched past the point of sustainability for years now, since the expansion of Russia's war with Ukraine, and so defense officials have spent much of the last four years scrambling to increase production of a number of different rounds, and there were a bunch of articles in like the spring early summer of twenty twenty five at the Trump Industry crowed over about how they'd finally met their goal of quadrupling production of one hundred and fifty five millimeters rounds, and a major part of this was the construction and opening in midcoat twenty twenty five of a fully operated one hundred and fifty five millimeters artillery shell factory in miss Texas. The factory is named Union Technologies. So that's all what the administration reported last year, right. I want to quote now from an article the Global Tactical Analysis Center put out in February of twenty twenty six. The US military is facing a significant crisis as production of one hundred and fifty five millimeters artillery rounds at the Mesquite factory has severely lagged. This shortfall raises alarms not only for domestic military readiness, but also for ongoing foreign military sales that depend on timely delivery of munitions. Army acquisitions are Bryn Ingraham expressed explicit dissatisfaction with the facility's performance during her recent congressional hearings, indicating that immediate investments are necessary to correct course and avoid further delays. The logistical and technical challenges at the Mesquite factory may involve outdated machinery or insufficient workforce levels to meet production quotas. Current estimates suggesting twenty five percent lag and output compared to contractual obligations, and that sounds bad in and of itself. That's not accurate. The lag is a lot more than twenty five percent. Oh boy, yeah, yeah. The DoD Office of the Inspector General went out to look into what's going on with this plant and why isn't shell production up to where the administration said it would be. They spent several months investigating and put together a report that was published in mid July of twenty twenty six. Here's a summary from TWZ dot com. Despite receiving close to five hundred million dollars from the US Army funded through supplemental spending bills from fiscal years twenty twenty two and twenty twenty three, General Dynamics, Ordnance and Tactical Systems failed to make a single subcomponent needed to produce the badly needed shells as of last March without the thirty thousand additional projectile metal parts anticipated from this skit facility, the Army will be unable to reach its monthly capacity goal of one hundred thousand, one hundred and fifty five millimeters artillery rounds. The report concluded, as of March twenty twenty six, officials have not developed a plan to produce the additional rounds that are supposed to be produced at the Mesquite factory. So this means that the US is produced and somewhere between like third and a half of the goal the Trump administration claimed they'd already reached. That's a little hard for me to tell. I've heard as low as like thirty six thousand and as high as like seventy thousand shells a month that we're making, both of which are shorter than were supposed to be. In for an idea of how much of a problem this is, Ukraine, when things are at a fever pitch, can fire up to eight thousand shells per day, which means they're shooting enough over there to account for a year of USHL production in two weeks. And as a result of this discrepancy, the US has seen at stockpile of one hundred and fifty five millimeters shells reduced by three point six million rounds over the last several years. Jesus so I was curious as to what had gone so wrong that these fuckers haven't been able to make a single solitary component, not fucking one. And it turns out this happened because the whole plot to have this Mesquite factory, you know, close the gap and production, was based on a hope and a prayer, specifically a hope that the very old machines in the factory would be able to produce modern quality weapons. The IG's report called this a high risk production line, which is not the kind of production line you want for artillery shells. Per an article and tasked purpose. Rather than build new machines for the Mesquite plant, the IG said, the Army allowed General Dynamics to convert machines U for M one oh seven shells, an older one hundred and fifty five millimeters round that the M seven ninety five, which we use now replaced the M seven ninety five can fire about six kilometers further than the M one oh seven, carrying a far more powerful explosive charge, But the decision to try it the untested production program, the IG said proved fateful Army officials believed the Mesquite facility was a high risk, high reward opportunity. The IG said the service accepted risk associated with the contractor's plan to purchase and adapt M one oh seven metal part production equipment, but the new production lines were never able to produce acceptable M seven ninety five parts using the reworked equipment, and the Army ordered the plant to stop work completely and stop spending money in August twenty twenty five, just months after the Trump administration claimed we were up two hundred thousand shells a month and that orders held through at least April of twenty twenty six. So we have no idea what's going to happen ultimately to this Mesquite factory. But I should note here that our munitions woes go even deeper than a lack of howitzer fuel. Earlier this year, Reuter's reporters Aaron Bonco, Mike Stone, and Nathan Lanley published an exclusive article titled US has used virtually all off its long range precision missiles during Iran Wars, sources say, citing three people familiar with the data, the article claims that the US has used virtually all of our army tactical missile systems and precision strike missiles. The army tactical missile systems are like the older missiles we were using. The precision strike missiles are the new ones. These are our main surface to surface weapons. And it gets worse to continue with another quote from that Reuter's piece. Military leaders have for weeks warned the president the stockpiles of defensive weapons, including Patriot interceptors, which are effective against ballistic missiles, we're dwindling, said two of the sources. Last week, several media outlets reported Trump had decided not to launch another massive offensive inside a Rod in part because his military advisors had warned about the US stockpile. A US official dispeeded those accounts, saying Trump's chose not to move forward with another attack because of pressure from Gulf states. Now, based on the most up to data info, we have at least sixty five percent of our Patriot interceptors have been used since February, and THAD stock piles are down by at least thirty eight percent. We've also used about half, if not more than half of our Tomahawk stockpile. None of these weapons can be replaced at rates that are even close to the rate we are burning them. And these are also the weapons systems that we would rely on most in the event of a conflict with Russia, China, or any other major power, which is why so many people in the defense industry are freaking out to the degree that Trump has had to pull back on some of his plans because they are telling him, hey, man, if we get into some serious shit and not this fuckery you're doing in the Gulf, we're screwed. We can't make more of these. So anyway, the reason I keep beating the drum onlike the AMMO shortage, is because I'm certain that in history books in the future there are going to be pages written about this before whatever fucking disaster comes our way next. So that's cool. Keep your eye on that. The other thing you should keep your eye on is that we have now added a new kind of gambling market to our gambling on things that are not traditional gambling industry, which is I guess, the only growth industry in the country aside from data centers. There's now a bunch of different services that are letting people gamble, specifically on wildfires and where they hit and how much damage they do. Oh Jesus, yeah, yeah, And I want to quote from an article in Oregon Live as Oregon surpassed its wildfire acreage record over the weekend, with more than two million acres burnt. Oregon lawmakers also raised a new wildfire concern Monday, as prediction markets continue to allow people to place bets on wildfires, saying it could lead to more human caused fires. In a letter to the Commodity Futures Trading Commission, which regulates prediction markets, Senator Jeff Merkley led lawmakers from other wildfire stricken states and Senator Ron Wyden in urging the agency to crack down on wildfire related contracts. The group warned that the markets could create financial incentives for arson. And that's the big deal, is that, Like, if you're letting people gamble on this shit, Yeah, firefighters might be incentivized to fuck with stuff. Regular people could be incentivized to fuck with stuff. We've seen this happen already. Like I reported a couple months ago about that Israeli journalists who like posted a video of a missile failing to get intercepted and like hitting into some trees and he started getting death threats because people were gambling on like how whether or not it would be intercepted, and his reporting was inconvenient to them. Shit's going to be happening like that with fires in addition to people trying to start them, if this is allowed to go right. Polymarket lets people bet on not just wildfires, but a variety of natural disasters. People can choose yes or no on as to whether or not they think a Category five hurricane is going to hit the United States, or like a volcano is going to erupt. It's just a really bleak thing. And there's one of the things that I read recently is there's even a new markets focused specifically on gambling on California wildfires called Wildfire wyldfyr. The company tagline is you can't predict wildfire, but you can trade on it, and I want to quote from High Country News and an investigation of this company. Currently, wildfire users can only simulate trading, but according to the site, the ability to bet with real money is coming soon. Go platform purports to be the first prediction market of its kind, price in county and city wildfire risk in real time. California burns every year and it's getting worse. The question is an if, it's when and where the site reads wildfire frames. Its platform is providing a public good. Wildfire turns collective intelligence into better wildfire forecasting, one trade at a time. The site reads, yeah, yeah, yeah, oh my god. But entities with the real need for wildfire forecasting, including federal and state firefighting agencies, say they aren't interested in prediction market data. The Forest Service does not use information from prediction markets for wildfire forecasts. It why they don't even need to go. It's useless, it's useless. And everyone's saying this is an idiot and a liar.
Speaker 11: It's insane. This this whole thing. It's like, we can chart like the world's collective knowledge.
Speaker 2: Because money, fucking morons.
Speaker 11: Money you know, speaks, speaks more truthfully than just words. Is just complete, complete nonsense.
Speaker 2: No, people are gonna burn down their own neighborhoods to get rich.
Speaker 12: Yeah.
Speaker 11: I mean, if you look at how much prediction markets have been wrong about a sequence of like high profile elections just in the past year, yeah, shows that this is not useful or reliable data. There's no you know, hidden truth that prediction markets can can can find through the the quote unquote wisdom of crowds and like this this specific thing on these wildfires is like a two pronged issue. One kind of evil right to just you know, win money based on the deaths of however many people in natural disasters.
Speaker 2: The destruction of other lives everything they've built, the fear.
Speaker 11: And so like, you know, like death markets is like one one aspect. The other you know aspect is if if someone has a lot of money riding on a certain wildfire hitting a certain location, then yeah, there is financial incentive to maybe cause a fire to hit a certain location.
Speaker 2: Or try to pay someone else to.
Speaker 11: Yeah, there's like that aspect as well.
Speaker 2: It's evil for so many reasons.
Speaker 11: Obviously should be illegal, Like it's insane.
Speaker 2: We should be hanging these people.
Speaker 3: I mean, uh I remember when arguing over whether the market is an information process that like like as you're saying, like haws, like all of this collective intelligence from market signals that it's like the most division information processor versus arguing that it's a gambling den Like that used to be an academic debate and now it's just like, oh no, we're doing this on fires and it's just God every every everything that was once metaphor is now literal, and all of the metaphors suck.
Speaker 11: Yeah, this is pretty fucked up. I I know that this was a this was a concern that was talked about with like the La fires yep last year or two years ago, because I know there was polymarket or caw she betting on those, and that created like a little mini news cycle of like talking about this maybe being a problem. But like the scale which this is like accelerated is crazy.
Speaker 2: Again. I used to do like sports gambling ads because I don't have a problem with gambling like ethically, the same way I don't have a problem with liquor and whatnot. And then it just became very clear before too much, Oh wait, no, this isn't your father's gambling. This isn't going to fucking like things are well beyond hit heading to Vegas for like a weekend or playing cards online with you your friends. This is turned into like everything like this is the omni culture. It's almost the only recreational activity a lot of Americans have anymore. Yeah, I'm gonna be honest, I didn't see that happening. That took me by surprise.
Speaker 11: No, I used to have a lot more kind of libertarian views on gambling, sure, and now I am firmly in favor of of like harsh state intervention. Yeah, into basically all forms of digital gambling.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think you should be able to go to a casino and gamble, but I don't think you should be able to do it on your phone. Like I've turned around on that.
Speaker 4: No.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and you know, and you can you can look at those there's a whole bunch of data on like when when sports gambling is legalized in a state, like the bankruptcy rate increases, it's a catastrophe.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know.
Speaker 3: I mean it's it's already devoured sports, and it's now just devouring everything that's left of our society until something changes.
Speaker 11: Literally everything else. Yeah, it's like what if you copy that model for literally any event happening in the world. Anyway, Well, at least the economy are just doing fine, right me?
Speaker 3: Oh oh boy. Yeah, So let's let's let's check in with our dear friend. And by dear friend, I mean I don't know if he's an enemy of the show yet, but recurring character on the show. Yeah, we're recurring character on the show. Federal Reserve Chairman Kevin Walsh, who had a press conference to address the fact that in the face of you know, rising inflation, everyone was expecting there to be some kind of interest rate increase and he didn't do one. And well, I mean that the Federal Reserve Board didn't vote for one, and he had a press conference that was so disastrous it triggered a giant sell off of US bonds, which.
Speaker 2: Is not good.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna read this piece from John Cassidy, who wrote an article in The New Yorker about it, because I think it captures the reactions to this quote. The selloff quote looks very much like a loss of confidence trade, one market at List told The Financial Times. Another commentor, Dario Perkins and economists at the Research from ts Lombard compared Worsh's press conference to Donald Trump's announcement last year of his Liberation Day tariffs and to the disastrous UK mini budget that costs Trust her job as Prime Minister in twenty twenty two, describing them all as occasions quote where you suddenly realize global policymakers are totally out of their depth and don't know what they're doing. Even some ex Fed officials, who tend to be more guarded in their public comments, voice concerns. In an interview with Bloomberg, James Bullard, a former president of the Federal Reserve Bank of Saint Louis, described Warsh's press conference as quote a little bit rocky, and the bond market's reaction as quote nerve racking.
Speaker 2: For a central painter, I don't know, it sounds fine to me.
Speaker 15: Now.
Speaker 11: A little bit rocky might seem a little timid to you, but for these people, that's like an insane thing to say.
Speaker 3: Yeah, for for a Federal Reserve banker, that is the equivalent of just nine alarm fire.
Speaker 21: Oh, I'm gonna.
Speaker 3: Read this one last fart of it. Loretta Mester, who headed the Cleveland FED from twenty fourteen to twenty twenty four, told the Wall Street Journal quote, I want to feel comfortable, but the FED knows what it is doing. I don't think it's sustainable what he's doing in terms of not saying anything. So that this press conference went so badly that the current analysis from basically the day has happened until now, the analysis has been that actually know the FED is going to be forced to raise interest rates. Just to make the markets take like Walsh as a guy running the central bank. Seriously, oh god, Economistic Bank of America labeled this a quote central bank inflation credibility shock, the term I have never seen before. So okay, what did Walsh actually say in this press conference that was this bad? Well, here here's Jackson baw at Fortune quote. He has vowed quote regime change and quote at the FED by rolling back so called forward guidance on where rates are headed and offered no such clues on Wednesday, even talking around no brain air questions on how to bring down inflation. So what does that actually mean? The Fed usually gives markets some indication of what they're going to do with interest rates at our next meeting the said interest rates, And you do this because you want to give people in the market an opportunity to plan around what the FED is probably going to be doing. Worsh thinks this is a bad idea, that is very weird. I don't think anyone has agreed with him that not talking to the markets about what you're about what the FED is going to do. I don't think anyone has agreed with him since at least like the eighties that the FED should just make his decisions in secret and not tell anyone. But that's not even the weirdest part of this. The weirdest part is a he's not just refusing to explain what the FED is going to do in the future. He is refusing to explain what the FED is doing right now, and that is really really weird. People just asked him point blank, like, hey, why did you not raise interest rates? And she just would not give an answer, and that is the thing that has been making it seem like she has no idea what's going on.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 3: It's possible that this is pure incompetence. I think that's probably part of it. Like it being in competence is kind of bolstered by the fed's next move, which was to do basically a I don't know if bailout's quite the right term, but basically to pump a bunch of money into the end to maintain the value of or to increase and maintain the value of Japan's currency. Now, this is also a kind of cataclysmic thing. The US hasn't done this for Japan since I think literally it was the Reverse Plaza Accords in the late nineteen eighties, as a way to like stave off the just complete ruin of the Asian markets during the Asian market collapse. So this in and of itself is remarkable. The ZUS hasn't done this since almost every economy in Southeast Asia was imploding during the end of the nineties. But the weirdest part is that instead of doing this by just selling dollars, right, he did it by selling euros, which is baffling. I have no idea why he did it. No one I've read seems to have any idea why he did this with the euros instead of dollars. Everyone is just extremely confused. So it's actually very funny because the thing I'm about to talk about next was brought up as the most important thing the FED had done during his tenure, and then this happened a few days later. So everyone is just completely baffled by what he's doing. None of it makes any sense. And it's not only doesn't make any sense, it's actively undermining itself because a lot of the things that he's doing. You know, this yen purchase is supposed to be about restoring confidence in the Japanese markets, but then the US is doing some weird stuff, and now everyone's what on earth is going on? The last thing I want to talk about with the FED specifically is because I think I kind of understand what he's doing, at least with the interest rates and why he's not talking about it. In order to get to this, we need to turn to some reporting from the New York Times, which reports that Warsh is trying to reduce the number of meetings that the FED has to decide interest rates. This is also really weird. The number of meetings to decide indust rates hasn't changed since the eighties, So okay, why is he trying to eliminate? But as he's trying to eliminate these meetings, and when you put it all together, the reason why he doesn't want to say what the FED is going to do in the future and he wants to have less meetings is that there is a FED meeting in September, right before the midterms, and if he raises interest rates, which is exactly the opposite of what Donald Trump wants right before the midterms. And this is one of John Cassiy's interpretations. If he does this, he could get fired by Trump. So he doesn't want to raise interest ry before the midterms, so he's taking a stance of not saying anything to the media and then potentially even canceling this September meeting in order to not have to do this. So that's great. I think it's an argument as to whether the US Federal Reserve is the single most important institution for all of global capitalism. I don't know if you can win the argument that it's the single most important one, but it's one of the most important institutions, and it is apparently being run by a guy who is making economic decisions with the entire global economy based on him trying not to get fired, So.
Speaker 2: This can only go great.
Speaker 11: One of the silliest things about that that purchase of yen was the photos leaked from the meeting with the notepad they like, oh God, to do call in buy ten billion US dollars worth.
Speaker 2: Of yet remarkably similar to my shopping list the other day when I went to Alberton.
Speaker 11: That's what concerns me is I feel like you shouldn't be able to remember to buy ten billion yen ten billion US dollars worth of yen?
Speaker 2: Is there not a better method to make sure that happens? In the US government.
Speaker 3: I cannot emphasize this enough. The last time we did something like this with Japanese currency, it has an actual name. It's called the Reverse Plaza Accords. It was a transformational milestone moment in what the American economy was going to be, because that was the moment the US abandoned having a manufacturing economy. Like that's the kind of decision that is being made here, and it's being written on a notepad, Like it's just.
Speaker 11: Just just throw that thing on a notepad. I'll do that later this afternoon.
Speaker 3: I admit I thought worsh because Worsh had been like with with a Federal Reserve bank before, I thought he was going to be like slightly more confident than this. But this, this entire week, Hassed has raised what I think the odds are of the Federal Reserve completely screwing things up and blowing up the entire global economy significantly. Because if this is the kind of shit that you're doing, like a couple of months into being in office, we are in for a long eight years. Assuming I guess he doesn't like purge by.
Speaker 11: Trump posting a picture of Jerome Powell hurts like shit, just want him back.
Speaker 4: God.
Speaker 10: Uh uh.
Speaker 3: Finally, I want to conclude on some tariff talk song.
Speaker 2: Rocky jazz rockety jazz bot Sorry locking.
Speaker 19: Rocking jazz bo Rocky jazz Bob.
Speaker 11: Sorry, we forgot to put this song in that last episode.
Speaker 2: They won't forget bad.
Speaker 4: Yeah, We're we're fixing it. We're fixing it.
Speaker 3: On Monday, half of the states in the Union, that is twenty five total states sued the Trump administration over the regime's tariff policies. What is bleak here is that because of the speed that the courts move at and because of the speed that these attorney generals are moving at, these lawsuits are coming in an entire terror cycle behind.
Speaker 11: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So these lawsuits are over the administry Section three zero one teriffs, which were the forced labor ten to twelve percent tariffs on basically all US imports that are supposed to be about forced labor. And as as I mentioned before, this is an entire cycle of tariffs behind where the Trump administration actually is now, which is his even more illegal usage of smoot Holly tariffs against Canada. We are still awaiting the lawsuit about that one because they just haven't gotten there yet. So it's fun in real time to get to see the stuff. I said last time I was talking about tariffs, about how Trump is just going to be able to keep using the tariff justification because it just takes time for stuff to get to the court. Where we're seeing that here. I mean, I guess the Section three oh one tariffs don't have a deadline, but who knows how long it's going to take to get rid of those ones, or if you could see a scenario where those tariffs are irrelevant, as we saw with the tariffs that he imposed earlier this year that were nominally about like the US having a balance of payments crisis, where there were lawsuits about it, but the lawsuits don't matter because the authorization expired. Were probably we're gonna see a similar thing like that where these terrorists are kind of irrelevant by the time. This way, so the courts so amazing political system we've set up.
Speaker 11: Here, Well, that does it for us today at it could happen here. James sent over two donation links for the Spokane wildfires. Both should be at the top of the episode sources in the description. The first one is Spokanetribalnetwork dot org. The second link is too long to fully read, but it's for the Spokane Complex Wildfire Response Fund. I can't read out the whole URL, but it should be at the top of the sources in the description.
Speaker 2: We the news reported, we.
Speaker 11: Reported the news.
Speaker 2: We reported the news. Hey, We'll be back Monday with more episodes every week from now until the heat death of the universe.
Speaker 24: It could Happen Here is a production of cool Zone Media. For more podcasts from cool Zone Media, visit our website coolzonmedia dot com, or check us out on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to podcasts. You can now find sources where it could Happen here listed directly in episode descriptions.
Speaker 1: Thanks for listening.