Speaker 1: When you were growing up, did you ever have or consider becoming an exchange student.
Speaker 2: I thought about this exchange student that I knew didn't go to my high school, but went to my best friend's high school. And it actually started with her friend went to Germany and did an exchange program, met the family. I don't know if they started dating or not, but the teenage boy that was the same age as her came in did an exchange system with her family in the States, and then he stayed and they got.
Speaker 1: Married, so then they were dating. My guess is if they ended up married, they were probably dating.
Speaker 3: They dated definitely when they're here.
Speaker 2: I don't know if she started dating him while he was in German, But I thought about them throughout so much of this movie because I.
Speaker 3: Just kept thinking.
Speaker 2: And obviously there's a difference within the seventies versus early two thousands, but how scary it would be for both the individual and their parents for your child to be across in a different country with the family that you don't really know. I mean, it was just I just could not, like, my brain kept swirling. I had to keep rewinding it because my brain started spinning off and off of what it would be like to either be an exchange student, have an exchange student, or be parents of either of those situations.
Speaker 1: While my cousin lived with us, he was from Germany and he lived with us for a year and went to high school. Oh, it was awesome because he was super popular.
Speaker 2: So he did he up your social game?
Speaker 1: He did well? Yeah, so because I was in eighth grade. So then by the time I moved freshman year, all his friends were senior so I got it, like I figured it out out. So it was like they all knew me by the time I got there. So I had friends my freshman year. It was the only time I had friends in high school. But it was fun that one time, my time.
Speaker 2: You say something like that, I just want you to know me, and the rest of the audience do not believe you.
Speaker 1: That's great, I love that. The sad thing is it's its.
Speaker 2: One hundred percent chance you were not super cool in high school. I just don't believe it.
Speaker 1: We had the same thing on pod Metro when my dad came and and was one of the guests and writer and Danielle. Danielle was like, Okay, we can finally put this to rest. Can you please tell us how many girlfriends Will had, and my dad's like, Will didn't have any girlfriends, and it just shut them down because it's true. I was not popular and had no girlfriends.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, absolutely fat is insanity to me.
Speaker 1: I just it's absolutely believe.
Speaker 2: Wow, I'm not sure if I'm there yet. I might have to actually meet your dad.
Speaker 1: That's funny. You will, you will, he'll explain. And uh, they were my best friends. So that's who I was hanging out with the whole time in high school. So cool. Welcome back to Magical Rewind, the show that makes you want to grab your friends, your pjs, and your popcorn and go back to a time when all the houses were smart. The waves are tsunamis and the high school's musical.
Speaker 3: I'm Wilfordell and I'm Sabrina Brian, and.
Speaker 1: It is time to look beyond black and white, because this week we're talking about a very special Disney Channel original movie from the year two thousand, our second based on actual events. Sabrina, do you remember the first one, No Gotta Kick it Up?
Speaker 2: Oh that's right, yes.
Speaker 1: Yes, gotta kick it up.
Speaker 2: Yes that's true.
Speaker 1: So this is number two, and this week's movie is the Color of Friendship. It first aired on February fifth of two thousand, purposefully debuting during Black History Month. It would be released on VHS two years later, and it is one of the best review d cooms of all time. The La Times calling the film surprisingly compelling and stated that although it is frequently predictable, it quote delves unexpectedly deeper quote. The Seattle Times wrote that the film breaks the nauseatingly simple after school special mold of most child friendly Teleflix and that it is certainly one of the better films you'll se on the Disney Channel, which again I agree with all that, but we'll get into it. Ben a while since we've had a movie that made this list, but Complex had it as number ten on the top twenty five d COM's list, and Collider ranked it at number fifteen. And I hate to bury the lead here, but it is also our first Emmy winner ever. We thought Going to the Mat could have could have been one, seriously could have been one. But this is our first ever Emmy winner. It won the Award for Outstanding Children's Program in two thousand. It also won the Humanities Prize and NAACP Image Award. A WJA Award and was nominated for a DGA Award. It is safe to say that neither Luck of the Irish or I'm going to throw in Fuzzbucket had a chance of winning it.
Speaker 3: A slightly slightly missed the mark on those, so.
Speaker 1: We are definitely entering a different type of category today. It is viewable on Disney Plus, so you can check it out there, or maybe you already have. We're not keeping track. You do you now? Amongst the critical and industry praise, Sabrina, did you know about the Color of Friendship before we watched it here on our Wonderful podcast?
Speaker 2: I did. I was excited for this like this one.
Speaker 1: I did.
Speaker 2: I really did like this one. I was excited to rewatch it again. It's crazy how I will remember loving a movie and then when it starts, I just have no recollection of where things are going to.
Speaker 3: Start because it's just been so long.
Speaker 1: Yeah it's been twenty four years.
Speaker 2: Yes, and I remember, and I still felt the same way watching this of Wow, Disney took such a beautiful leap into and exploring and explaining something that is super important, but they did it in an amazing Disney way.
Speaker 3: I just thought it.
Speaker 2: It was done so well and you know it, but also a risk for them, right, critics and everything are talking about this is not a typical thing for Disney to dive into something that is very controversial, you know, So I thought it was they just Disney blows.
Speaker 3: My mind again, Disney Channel.
Speaker 1: Jeez, you know what, I think this will surprise nobody when I say that I knew nothing of it. I am starting to realize that I've heard of maybe three.
Speaker 2: Things, see three different I've.
Speaker 1: Seen like i'd heard that, I'd heard of the Cheetah Girls, obviously, I'd heard of high school musical. I've heard of my date with the President's daughter because I was in it. Other than that, I really hadn't heard it. So yes, so everybody out there, don't lock yourself in a room. Just that a room that's not even yours, by the way, Just yet, it's time for the synopsis.
Speaker 2: Here we go.
Speaker 1: A white South African girl finds herself in a difficult situation when she is sent to spend a term with a black family in America. So I think we just got your early thoughts. You loved it, right, Yes.
Speaker 2: I was almost nervous how they were going to handle certain things though. I was kind of going, oh, here we go, oh, and then it turned out it just just was done really well.
Speaker 1: This is one of those movies. So first of all, I thought this movie was phenomenal, absolutely phenomenal.
Speaker 3: I knew you were going to love it.
Speaker 1: I loved this movie. I loved basically everything about it, down to the music. I mean, I loved everything about this movie. I really did. This one surprised the hell out of me how much I liked it. That being said, I would love to have originally seen this in two thousand, to have watched it then, because you know, we live in a different time now, a different contry. Twenty four years is a very very different time. I would love to have seen it first then to add initial thoughts, and then seen it now because there are some things that you know, some language and things like that that would never pass muster nowadays. But that were I think was necessary and powerful and it was so this movie blew me away. I absolutely thought it was great.
Speaker 3: The cast was wonderful.
Speaker 1: Oh, so let's get into that. To say it's an impressive cast of actors is an Understatementally. Vindseay Hahn plays Maury Bach the white South African exchange student. It was an incredibly challenging and nuanced role that she I thought knocked out of the park. The two leads, the two girls that really headlined this movie. We'll get into the adults, but the two girls were so good, yes, and so layered, and oh, it was absolutely wonderful. You've seen Lindsay most notably on True Blood, where she played Hadley Hale, but you've also seen her on Melrose play star Trek Voyager and her father. I know it's all about her, but dude, her father is the guitarist for Air Supply, and I know we can't afford it, but I'm still gonna sit here and say I'm all out of love. I'm so else with you. Sorry song. I knew every word too, I think I was three.
Speaker 2: I love that.
Speaker 1: Air Supply very important in Wilfordell's life, so that was just an awesome thing to learn. Shaddya Simmons plays Piper Dellums, the daughter of the family Maury will be staying with, and she is so optimistic and happy about possibly gaining a sister in the process of all of this. She is a Canadian actress who has already appeared in another dcon by this time A Saintly Switch, which again I have not heard of.
Speaker 3: I have not heard of that one.
Speaker 1: Okay, I'm sure we'll get to it. She also appeared in Xenon the zequel yet and also a movie called HS. But we're going to get more into that lady.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: She is married to legendary soccer player Freddie Adou, who, at the age of fourteen, became the youngest player ever signed to Major League Soccer. He was a phenomenon. He was everywhere. They were hailing him as the Michael Jordan of soccer. He was it. He put soccer on the map for a lot of people, and what he accomplished at his age is really amazing. And Shadia has since retired from acting and she is a teacher in Canada.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 1: Carl Lumley plays the father of the House Congressman Ron Dellams. He made his acting Give You in the nineteen seventy nine movie Oh Wait for It Escape from Alcatraz. Awesome movie, and hasn't looked back since. His recent appearance in This Is Us and Marvel's The Falcon and Winter Soldier might be the most recognizable, but there's also Supergirl, Doctor Sleep, The Fall of the House of Usher, Obliterated, the shy and opposite Robert Niro in Men of Honor. He is an incredible actor. He also plays or is the voice of Martian Man Huh in Justice League and Justice League unlmited. I've gotten to work with him fifty times. He's the nicest guy you will ever meet in your life. Phenomenally talented.
Speaker 2: He was so good.
Speaker 1: He is so good in this movie.
Speaker 2: I loved his character.
Speaker 3: I mean it was awesome.
Speaker 1: There was not There was not a week link in this cast anywhere. I mean usually there's like one or two you point to and you go like, yeah, that wasn't the bit nowhere. They were all amazing.
Speaker 2: Even the annoying brother I thought, you're curious, were so good. I loved him.
Speaker 1: They were the whole group of friends she had together. Oh Penny Johnson Gerald is his wife, Roscoe Dellums. She is already well known as Beverly Barnes on The Larry Sanders Show, with appearances on Er and Star Trek Deep Spase nine DSN, but she later on became a very big star on the show twenty four Castle and the Orville, another just actress who has been working forever and is amazingly talented. Another actor worth mentioning is a mod Stoner who plays Daniel, Piper's friend. He's in the other two story d com Gotta Kick It Up, so he is in both of them and was no nap of the Lost Boys in hook He was also on a little known show called Boy Meets World. Ah, I'm on Good Guy and the other thing we were talking about the brother that's Ron Dellam's actual son and Piper's brother in real life, Eric, who does appear in the movie.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's very cool, super cool.
Speaker 1: This film clocks in at eighty seven minutes.
Speaker 2: Ah, we're so close, three minutes, three.
Speaker 1: Minutes away from the bull's eyes. Someday we are going to watch the worst d common history. But we're not gonna care. We're gonna give it ten nineties because it made ninety minutes long. But that seems like a small little complaint when this thing is an Emmy winner. It was directed by Kevin Hooks, who received obviously very high praise for this film and reviews. He's another person involved in this movie with just an outstanding career. He started as a director on TV shows like Sainte Elsewhere with mister Bill Daniels, twenty one, Jump Street with mister Johnny Depp twenty one, Jump Street, and er, then shifting to movies like the Tommy Davison comedy Strictly Business and the Wesley Snipes action film Passenger fifty seven. Great movie. He's still a massive figure in TV directing with episodes of Lost, This Is Us, ex Files, and Prison Break all on his resume. It is written by Paris. I think it's qualas is how you say it might be Qualls, who was a writer on Quantum, Leap and Lewis and Clark and moved on from this to The Rosa Park Story starring Angela Bassett and a more recent rendition of Raisin in the Sun, the TV movie. One other crew member that is certainly worth pointing out is Stanley Clark, and we need to talk about mister Clark because he is a five time Grammy winner who's considered a living legend when it comes to the bass and the birth of jazz fusion. He played with Miles Davis, Jeff Beck, Ronnie Wood and Keith Richards of The Rolling Stones and George Duke. He is I mean, probably easiest to predict. He was the lead of the Stanley Clark Band, makes sense since his name is Stanley Clark, perfectly named and was given what seems to be free reign to be the most Clark he could be for this movie. He did the music for Boys in the Hood, Romeo Must Die, and the TV show Soul Food. So he is a real bass genius. And I think that since the movie is set in the seventies, it plays a big part. So I think we should talk first of a little bit about the music, because it was amazing. I mean the music, every song that came on was had so much personality in this movie. Yes, I am one of those people. As much as I would love to sit here and be like, oh man, I hear the music in every movie I watch, I don't. Sometimes, No, it's just kind of in the background right for a lot of people, it is this was right there in your face. Amazing. I felt the music. It was really really cool.
Speaker 2: It was and it set like you said, it's set the tone of the seventies. It also brought in, you know, the African drum. Like there was so many times where you felt the cultural aspect that you needed to everything really and everything really flow. Didn't feel sometimes you know, all of a sudden you hear a song and you're actually hearing it because it just comes out of nowhere. The way the music is introduced and flows throughout this whole movie is just it's easy.
Speaker 3: It's an easy listen.
Speaker 1: Yeah, right, it was very organic. It just kind of it worked throughout the entire thing. But it's also good time to talk about when the movie was set. So the real story was in nineteen seventy seven, and so your Disney in two thousand is not only taking a swing at subject matter that is very adult, very real, very important, but they're also doing a period piece. Right, Yes, did you like the seventies vibe?
Speaker 2: I felt the wardrobe could.
Speaker 3: Have been better.
Speaker 2: Oh really, Yeah, I didn't love everything. There were some aspects, so I'm thinking specifically about, you know, when they're in the mall going getting ready for school, you know, the first day of school, they're.
Speaker 3: Doing this this.
Speaker 2: In and out of dressing room type thing. I didn't really love any of that. Out those outfits they either were so kind of basic. And maybe it's because the seventies has come back.
Speaker 3: In a lot of ways.
Speaker 2: And fashion. Well, it's you know when you see bell bottoms and things like that, you're.
Speaker 1: Saying, you know, like I'm going to know that fashion is coming back. I have no idea what you're talking about.
Speaker 2: Well, I'm saying this is what I'm thinking. Because it either looked basic or it looked very cartoony, like I didn't. There was no middle mountain or feeling of really authentic seventies where compared to other movies. But then again, it's the Disney channel that you know, you think about what what the budget was right and things like that. But then like I loved what Piper's mom was always wearing. She always was dressed so beautifully, and so there was aspects of it that were great, but I feel the age the kids stuff didn't really look that great. La I wouldn't have loved that wardrobe for myself.
Speaker 1: So my dad is a big car guy and he's passed that on to me. So one of the things we used to do every time we watch period pieces is you look in the background to see if they messed up any of the cars, Like, wait, the seventies and there's a nineteen ninety Dodge Dart behind whatever it.
Speaker 3: Is oh my, you know cars that well.
Speaker 1: Enough there, I mean enough to know if it's in the right decade anyway, and I wasn't wasn't able to spot any mistakes. So I though pretty impressive. And again there's probably people watching that's like I saw six I don't know, but I wasn't able to spot any mistake.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but I did the cars, actually I did notice, you know, when they were in the driveway and things like that.
Speaker 1: It looked great.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So we opened the film with shots that, of course immediately caught my attention because it looked like My Date with President's daughter.
Speaker 2: First thing on my Sabrina Sea Bill's movie makes sake cameo.
Speaker 1: It does look like My Date with the President's Daughter. Establishing shots at d C where the movie is supposed to take place. But of course it's a dcom, so it's either shot in Canada or in Utah. I think they just flip a coin to decide where it's going to be shot. This one was shot in Canada. It was difficult to see some of the monuments without seeing me green screen poorly in front of them, trying to awkwardly kiss Elizabeth Arnoaugh, if I'm honest, right there in the.
Speaker 2: Beginning, I did think they're establishing shots were a little bit better than than that green screen.
Speaker 1: That's true, that's very much a little better. It was by that point it had been three years, and three years in film makes a big difference, you could tell it does. So there's the killer seventies music playing, and we joined the Dolom family in their home. Now, this is interesting because one thing that was really considered groundbreaking at the time, and we love that this is based on a true story, is depicting a black family as financially well off. There they're the family of power. And in these movies and in a lot of movies that we've seen, it's an adjustment from what you normally see in the media. Like we talked about during Got to Kick It Up, it's a common trope of the white savior and you know that, oh that it's an underprivileged minority group, the white teacher, white whoever comes in and saves the day, and that is you know, this is literally the exact opposite. They took the trope, they flipped it upside down. It felt fresh and real, and because it's based on a true story, it also lends it to the fact to like, well, why are we only depicting them one way when this is based on a true story, And this is how it what you know what I mean, it was it was great. So yeah, we learn right off the bat that the daughter of the family, Piper, is dead set on getting an African transfer student, and her father, the congressman, is not so keen on the idea. He eventually gives in. They talk about it, and we're immediately then cut to South Africa, where we meet Maury, who is part of the very like fancy white family, at a dinner that you can tell it is for upschedule country club whites in South Africa. She also wants to be part of the transfer program. They show something very interesting with the family dynamic right away because it's her talking to her mom and she says, I want to do this. I really want to do this. Can I go? And her mom literally says, your father will make the decision. Yes, it's not up to me. I don't get to decide this year, and she's like, but he listens to you. So they're really setting it up that it is a patriarchal this their dynamic in that family is what the dad says, goes, he makes the decisions. That's how it's gonna be right. How did all that sit with you?
Speaker 4: Just curious?
Speaker 2: Oh that smacked me in the face. Oh my gosh, I hated it. I wrote it down immediately for a Sabrina sees whether or we talked about it. I wanted to bring it up because it just was. It just makes me so grateful that I didn't grow up in that era, because that would be so hard to That's not the way my parents, you know, raised me. That that wasn't the family household that I lived in. And to it to be also not just said, but said specifically to her daughter, meaning setting up the next generation to to have their family handle that was just oh gosh, it just it just it.
Speaker 3: It was sad.
Speaker 2: It was already set up this situation of you know, she doesn't even have a chance to see what it could be to have a different lifestyle. You know, this is what she's growing up in and that's all she has.
Speaker 1: That's what this movie does so well though, that we to get into it later where it's like you can't blame the children for how their parents are raising them and the system that they're raised in You can only hope to break that with the next generation and make it better. So I thought that that was interesting too, is maybe they're trying to break that as well of kind of the patriarchy of her family. The whole thing just worked on a whole bunch of different This is one of those movies. This is why I loved it so much, as it worked on so many levels.
Speaker 2: It's brought up so many different topics. Really did to be discuss, need to be learned from, need to change, evolve, so many different things.
Speaker 3: It was amazing.
Speaker 1: So, yeah, she wants to go to the US to be part of the transfer program. Her parents are also having well, her dad especially having trouble with the idea. But her dad comes in. He's a police officer and he's very excited because they caught an activist, Steve Beko, Stephen Bico and they put him in jail, which is of course part of a much larger race issue in the country with apartheid, which is practiced at the time of legalized racial separation, depriving black people of political and civil rights. Something we see immediately when a white restaurant patron kicks a poor bus boy spilled his plate and calls him a horrible, horrible name. Oh my, I mean, they're showing this horrible system and they bring it back later in America the same kind of situation that happens, but right that. I mean, it makes you physically ill when you see and I.
Speaker 2: Don't remember it being as serious and to the point when I watched it when I was younger, I think it was more interested in the dynamic of the two friendships of the teenagers versus the actual worldly issues of what was going on and how heavy it was, and it was like, whoa, okay, I'm not remembering, you know, yeah, and wow, what a what a not great scene.
Speaker 3: To have to sit there.
Speaker 1: It also shows how good a movie this is, though, when you can watch it and get one thing out of it when you're a kid and you're watching the kids and you're still learning lessons, But when you watch it as an adult, it's a whole other level.
Speaker 3: Absolutely.
Speaker 1: We talk about that with things like Born Meet's World, where you know, bad movies. If you watch if it's a kid's movie and just a kid's movie, adults watch it and they hate it. They're never going to get anything out of it and vice versa if it's an adult movie. But you get these movies and shows occasionally that every generation gets something different when they watch totally this was one of them. Really really worked. Did you know about apartheid and the system and everything before the film or.
Speaker 2: No, No, I know that that was like I had a lot of questions when I first watched it.
Speaker 1: After sure, well, it also shows the power of movies. I know it sounds ridiculous, but for people of my generation and a little younger than me, are a little older than me, I should say. One of the ways we learned about South Africa was they were the bad guys in Lethal Weapon two. Wow. And it's one of those things where you then see it, you hear about it, and then hopefully you go and you study it, which is what I was googling things the entire time I was watching this movie. To have that kind of information at my fingertips. Yeah, just about the whole system and about Stephen Bikoe and all the kind of stuff that was going on is really incredible, right, So yeah, it was. That was It's a tough it's a tough watch, it really is. Yeah, in a wonderful way, though, I don't know, it's hard to explain.
Speaker 2: No, it's exactly it's it's tough because you, like I said, it's a heavier set of storylines than what.
Speaker 3: We're used to. It's not just that feel good, easy going.
Speaker 2: We're talking about a love interest and a difference of home life.
Speaker 3: We're talking about worldly issues.
Speaker 2: We're talking about there's so much, so much weight on this that it's not it's not the same of as your every every other day Disney Channel original movie.
Speaker 1: No, like this, this is another one of those that I feel like they could have Disney could have watched and said, this is not a dcom. We should release this in theaters. Like I could see I could see that conversation happening somewhere. Yes, we are now back in Washington. Piper is very very excited about the African visitor coming soon. She's clearly expecting a new best friend. She talks about having a black sister, even after she learns of apartheid from her friend, a term she's heard her congressman dad talk about a lot, because it is an issue that is very very important to him. They talk about not knowing what tribe she's going to be a part of how different the African cultures are. She's asking her friend from Nigeria who says something really interesting where she's like, well, tell me about South Africa. He's like, I'm Nigerian. He goes as far as I know, that's as far away from like New York and London. He's like, these are it's.
Speaker 2: Completely different cultures.
Speaker 1: Different things. So he's trying to explain stuff to them, but not knowing himself a whole lot about it with their whole friend group, so they don't know what tribe she's part of, but they are just she's so excited about meeting her and bringing her to her school and they're setting all that up. Then we go back to South Africa and Maury is also getting ready to come to America. She's very excited. Her little brother ends up bringing a caged bird that he has found, which is the new family pet, and there's some keep that in mind because there's some foreshadowing there, and Marie's nanny recognizes all of a sudden, So Maury's talking to her and says, you know, I'm going to America. I'm so excited, But she's in her mind saying, I hope I get to go to New York or la, I think that's gonna be a ton of fun. She's like, she literally says, I'm not there to learn anything. I'm there to have a good time.
Speaker 2: Let's have a good time.
Speaker 1: I'm a kid, I'm gonna have fun, right, And she says the name of the family that she's going to live with, she says, but she says instead of the Dellum, she says Dilom. She says it's the Deloms, and that triggers something in her Nanny's mind, who's kind of saying, okay, Delom, I kind of know the name, and.
Speaker 2: That she doesn't really know, and she's like, it's so insistent of no, it's not Delham, it's just a Loom, Like you don't actually know, you aren't there, really.
Speaker 3: Di Loom.
Speaker 1: So she's adamant about it. But yeah, what the thing is is you come to find out that nanny actually has press clippings from the congressman because he is so anti apartheidan and and one of the leaders of the fight, that she has press. So she knows beforehand that she's going Maury is going to be staying with a black family and is all for It is essentially like, just keep your eyes open. I think this is going to be really really good for you. So she gets on the plane, she arrives the not the Deloms. The Dellums go to pick her up at the airport, and they're doing this kind of thing with like, oh, that's got to be her. And a young girl gets off the plane wearing a full African dress who walks right by her and hugs another family like, okay, I guess she's not on the plane, and they say they go to excuse me, where's Maury Bach, And you hear I'm Maury back and you turn around and there's of course this white girl standing there, and instantly Mary gives the worst for impression.
Speaker 2: Instantly assumes they're the help, assumes they're you know, they're they work for the congressman, and just, I mean, the worst first impression.
Speaker 1: He hands her, hands them tickets and says, I have two bags. I'll point them out to you. Yeah, just not.
Speaker 2: A crappy house guest.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, she says, Now I want to go meet the congressman. They're like, okay, we're going to go meet the congress. They're playing it very the Dellams are playing it very cool because they're just as shocked as anybody else. Yeah, there's a great scene where they're leaving the airport and Piper says to her mom, like, how did this happen? And her mom says, assumptions. She assumed we were going to be white, and we assumed she was going to be black. We both assume. But when we get her home, everything's going to be great, right.
Speaker 3: I loved that teaching moment.
Speaker 2: Loved it. Awesome assumptions because you come across that every day in your life, with things eaten on so many different spectrums. No, I just I really loved that.
Speaker 3: I love a good mom teaching moment.
Speaker 1: Yep, And it was great, And I love also still the optimism, like, it'll be fine when we get her home, and she's gonna be great, she's gonna fit in with her family. We're not gonna have a problem, right, We're gonna we're gonna roll with this no matter what, we'll work through it. So obviously, this is not what Maury was expecting. It is nothing like South Africa. She's she's completely taken out of the situation. She goes to the congressman, he's she's surrounded by by black people. She doesn't know what to do, She can't believe she's there. She gets back home to the uh Dellham's home and runs upstairs and locks herself into the first bedroom she can find.
Speaker 2: Which could that be any more of a weird cho as weird as in any horror film when the bad guy comes in and you instantly run upstairs and then also not into like a restroom, you're gonna go into someone's bedroom.
Speaker 1: And just lock yourself in there. And she chose a room that.
Speaker 2: Was the strangest choice, no vags, you know what's funny.
Speaker 1: And again we have to keep in mind that this was based on a true story. It's such a strange thing that I can't wait to read the book because it seems like that came right from life. Like, it's so weird that the writer of the script wouldn't be like, I'm gonna have her just run in and lock herself. I feel like when Piper was writing or whoever wrote the book, was like, and then she just ran into the house and locked herself into a room. Yeah, I don't know. We got to check that out.
Speaker 3: So it seems so strange.
Speaker 1: Yes, So the movie delves into a lot of difficult topics we've talked about. We've also talked about there's several racial slurs that are said throughout the movie, some of them as teaching moments, some of them simply as hate filled speeches. Do you think they would do this movie now with the same dialogue in twenty twenty four.
Speaker 2: I don't think they. I don't think they could.
Speaker 1: I don't think it would.
Speaker 2: It would pass through. You know, Disney really does do a lot of you know, diving into things that are appropriate.
Speaker 1: And sure, we've diversity and everything out that with.
Speaker 2: Wardrobe as well as dialogue and stuff, and I just feel they would have a harder time getting selling, you know, it to everyone to approve and give it a green light.
Speaker 3: Because it is.
Speaker 2: It was I feel the roughest of dialogue that I think I've ever recognized on the Channel.
Speaker 1: Well, the casual way that they both used the N word I in one scene. It was so casual that it was like, ooh, I mean, it's to hear that at all anymore, but to hear it from two children right in regular conversation on a Disney movie.
Speaker 2: A Disney Channel movie, it's you know, but it also for me watching it, it seems very normal as far as how two teenagers would handle that, you know means either one of them then yeah, right right, that's true.
Speaker 3: But I still.
Speaker 2: Feel that teenagers have when they're comfortable enough with each other. And when that dialogue started happening, they had set the tone that they were getting closer and closer, you know. And I because I hear girls talking about different things all the time, you know, with my song girls, they always forget to know that I'm in the room with them, and you know, I just hear them talking.
Speaker 3: And the way they handle.
Speaker 2: Things that they're not they're learning from you each other and they're not quite sure. It was as simple as that, you know, talking about it, saying it, and one person saying no, no, no, no, I would never say that, you know.
Speaker 3: And the way that they went.
Speaker 2: Back that exchange to me was how I feel kids can learn sometimes, you know, having a conversation. If you don't ask questions, then you're not going to know how, You're not going to know what's right now.
Speaker 1: It was a very real conversation.
Speaker 3: It was so I.
Speaker 2: Think that the conversation was tough, but I liked how it opened the door of you know, when you find somebody comfortable that you can talk and actually ask questions. Was great, you know, and the aftermath but got a little nerve wracking because obviously, when she's talking to her dad about what she's learning as a parent, you're going to obviously want to defend, You're going to want to protect, of course, but it was also it got I mean I was i because again there's parts of the movie that I wasn't. I don't really one hundred percent remember from watching it so many years ago.
Speaker 3: It was like, oh gosh, what's gonna happen?
Speaker 2: Oh gosh, is he got you know it's on this little tea.
Speaker 1: Yeah, No, there are tense moments. There are tense moments watching this movie. So yeah, the family is obviously offended that she's locked herself in the room. Uh. The congressman, who spent you know a lot of his political weight fighting this type of racist ways and segregation doesn't want her around anymore. But again, Maury's father in South Africa has set it up essentially like and he did it jokingly, but it was like, you're gonna hate this. You're gonna be back in a week because you're a weak little girls. How it kind of red and.
Speaker 2: He challenges her. He challenges her.
Speaker 1: And like kind of tussling her hair, like you're gonna be back in a week because you're gonna hate this and be homesick. So she picks up the phone to call her father or parents to kind of say, you're not gonna believe where I am or what's going on, and he reminds her, I told you so, and so she's like, I'm not gonna say anything. I Am going to stick it out, even if I'm just stuck in the bedroom for a while. Right Meanwhile, the the Dellms are how having a conversation about getting rid of her. What do they do till finally the mom says, she's got to eat, but I'm not going to bring in the food. Piper, you bring in the food. Piper goes up, picks the lock, pops the door open, and it is essentially like, because it's.
Speaker 2: You're in my room, this is there because it's her room.
Speaker 1: Yeah, She's like, I think I know I've locked myself out of my room enough to know how to get in, but you're in my room, dude.
Speaker 2: Which is also funny to me that a teenager has a door that they can lock.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that seems kind of scary.
Speaker 1: It's also strange. I get they're trying to get her out of the bedroom, but the only food they bring her is what French fries in a milkshit.
Speaker 2: Yeah, just that's it. That's it.
Speaker 1: Not even a burger. Come on. It's like it's like they got her at number one, but somebody ate the big mac in the way. So she changed, She changed her changes her mind. She doesn't want to admit defeat in front of her her family, so Maury changes her mind. She's going to stay, and they slowly start to build a relationship as friends. Because one thing about kids, no matter where you're from, what you learn, kids are very malleable. They adapt very quickly, and they both start to do that, which is which is a nice thing to say. So they start to hit it off, even coincidentally finally giving each other a gift. They it's like, you were coming, I bought you this while I was coming here, so I bought you this, And they were essentially the same thing. They both bought them like these really nice little necklaces as a welcome gift. The congressman is still very stressed out about going on. He hears that her father is a police officer in South Africa and this is kind of exactly who he's fighting against at the time. He essentially says this line, He's like, I get that apartheid is very complicated, racism is not, which was an interesting take on it, where yes, the system itself is very very complicated. The actual acts behind racism and the thoughts behind racism that's not complicated at all. That's just you judging based solely on race. So there's a lot of those really kind of deep, interesting conversations that happened throughout this movie. And the thing that always struck me as I was watching it was it's so easy to get out of the Disney Channel realm and make this really heavy and really, I don't want to watch this. There's nothing enjoyable about this. It's just two hours of teaching and it's not that at all. It's still at all still Disney and still young, and times are light and you're still are rooting for both these kids and really good.
Speaker 2: I feel like the mom is really what helps keep pulling it back into that light. You know, let's make this a good, a good experience because again I think she's thinking of her daughter, her kids growing from this. She sees an opportunity for her husband, for the whole family to grow from this experience of welcoming somebody who who has been differently, who has different thought processes, and hopefully do a nice positive spin on everything. You know, she seems to for me of the movie, she was kind of the center of, you know, keeping the family, keeping things on a good positive track with what the storyline and you know what her mission was for her as her family.
Speaker 1: With Mariy too, because she comes down for she when she finally decides that she wants to stay, she kind of apologizes, but not really. It's just like I was obviously overwhelmed, I want to say. She sits down a breakfast and orders all this random stuff at the breakfast table. Yeah, I want breakfast, sausage, eggs, something called bringel rusks. She's ordering all this stuff, and the mom very nicely is like, I'm gonna I'm going to do the best thing I can for you. I'm gonna treat you just like I'm gonna treat my kids, no better, no worse. You're having cheerios this morning of course they can't say that, so like Generico's, it was sugars, sugaros or something like that. Yeah, so it's really great. They are still accepting her into the family and now she's learning to be closer to the pam. They show the kids getting closer as friends, and then of course they go to exactly what you were talking about, the lovely stereotypical, because it worked perfectly here changing room montage.
Speaker 2: Yes, well, this is where we heard a lot of the music. Yes, they did it. They had a whole little dance session in the bedroom together. They had the clothing change montage. Yeah, and we got to hear some great music during all of these different little scenes. That shows the girls getting closer and closer, which I always love because I think music really brings the whole world together.
Speaker 3: It does, that.
Speaker 2: Is my take.
Speaker 1: I agree, have music, food, and com Yes, so they're getting together and they finish with an ice cream day at Barrels. Have you heard of Barrels?
Speaker 2: No, but I've My dad's favorite ice cream place was a place called Farrels.
Speaker 1: Okay, So is I think farrels and barrels are related? I believe.
Speaker 3: Okay, so of the same chain.
Speaker 1: What is, so what was Farrell's.
Speaker 2: So Farrell's was like a big ice cream place that you'd go.
Speaker 1: They changed their name.
Speaker 3: They changed it, Okay, so that makes sense. So that was the thing.
Speaker 2: My dad has this amazing story from when my sister was really young that he had to take by himself seven or eight kids that were like six or seven years old. And he didn't know, but I think it was a Bible study or something my mom had going on and she needed all the kids, all the friends' kids to go and basically just put it in my dad's lap, like get figure something out, and he took them to this ice cream place. So his so he has a great story. But my dad is a huge ice cream lover. Banana splits are his love language to no belief, and so this was his favorite place. That is it gonexist the one that's here in California or down in Like it's not necessarily oh see, I think it's just right out side of it. It was in Downy, Okay. I think it's considered La County that one's gone. So that's the one that I think I think it was, or maybe I don't. I don't remember what city was in but it's no longer.
Speaker 1: It's gonna be like ed Debevics, where we're going to find one left in someplace and have to fly there. Yeahs say, we went to the one in Chicago. It was great.
Speaker 2: Oh I went to the one in La so fun.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Oh no, that's well, that's We originally went to the one in Los Angeles, but then it closed down and there's one left in Chicago we went last year. No, uh, yes, so that's what I'm saying. Yeah, it's great. Ah, right, But it's it's at Farrells or Barrels that we see a replay of the same spilling incident that we saw in South Africa, and another young black waiter spills on a white customer who's like, dude, don't worry about it, not your fault. And the guy's like, can I bring you anything? And he's like, bring me one of these Sundays because they're good, and so she gets to see essentially the same exact thing happened. Happened. Then, by the way, we just heard sadly that Farrell's closed their last location in twenty nineteen, which is a shame because I just heard about it and now I can't eat any and now I'm.
Speaker 2: Sad found out what you were missing, and we'll still miss exactly.
Speaker 1: So Mariy is starting to get more into the family. She's learning more about their culture. They're trying to learn a little bit about her culture, and she is walking around the house and she finds the book Roots, So she's starting to see kind of the importance of everything going on. And this is where I think we need to talk a little bit about some of the differences between the real life book and the movie, one being that these scenes were actually from two visits from two different foreign exchange students, so they took the two different and combined them into one character for the script. Both were surprised by the Delems being a black family. For one of them, it was an absolutely life changing experience that they show in the movie, but even to a more extreme because first of all, according to the book, the girl's name was not Maury, it was Carrie, which was most likely changed to give her kind of the ambiguously racial name. They didn't they you didn't want to know who she was getting off the plane. The family didn't want to know who she was getting off the plane. But this one the actual story and this is from the real life. Piper's account is that Carrie went back to South Africa and became the first student underground activist to want to fight to abolish partheid. She then lost contact with her and fears that she was actually arrested or killed for her actions, which we also learned later in the movie is what happened to the actual, real life what they call agitator, what we would obviously call movement leader Stephen Bill, activist Stephen Bilco. Thank you, now, none of this, we should say, none of this story has been confirmed outside of Piper's story, and there's a lot of confusion around it when you actually try to do some of the research. So take that story for what it's worth. Hopefully. Of course, this young girl, Carrie was not arrested or killed back in South Africa, but apparently Piper did lose contact with her. But it does it showed the importance of what was going on in the country, the danger of what was going on in the country at the time. So back to the movie itself, the girls are now getting closer and closer, even with the conversation you and I were having about the racial slur where she Piper mistakenly tells her dad that she thinks that called her a bad name when she actually didn't.
Speaker 2: She couldn't remember which one she actually used. Was having a hard time because there was a lot of you know, the main point was and I thought that was really interesting.
Speaker 3: They had all these names.
Speaker 2: But when she said, well, what do they call white people?
Speaker 3: Ast like, they just call them white people. They're just white.
Speaker 2: And it was just so crazy that there was she blurts out six different ways to explain and yet for you know, so that's kind of where she was.
Speaker 3: So she was sort of reeling and not remembering.
Speaker 2: Every single name and what it was for which ones were good and which ones were bad, that kind of thing.
Speaker 3: So miscommunication.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think she was overwhelmed with the fact that we're all It's like, why are there so many categories and you're just white?
Speaker 3: Yes, I'm so crazy.
Speaker 2: It was.
Speaker 1: It was so they're working through their differences, and they teach her a lot. They even they go to sea Freaky Friday in the theaters. I mean, they loved that. They're having fun. They're sharing hot dogs, they're riding bikes, they're dancing, they're kids.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they're they're learning from each other. She tells them how what they she couldn't understand what she meant by movie that kind. They're teaching each other ling on a different level as well. You know, it's not all heavy, No, they're just learning each other's lives and how different they aren't.
Speaker 1: Comparing kids, just becoming friends, Yeah, getting to know each other despite all their differences, which is what happens when you throw two kids together. Ninety percent of the time, they just become friends, right, which is what's so great about. Everything's looking great until all of a sudden, the member of the South African Embassy show up at the Doloom's house and they take her away. She's going home where it's not safe for you here. We don't like it. We're sending you home. And she's like, what, I don't want to leave. I'm having a great time. And they're like, don't care, you're leaving.
Speaker 2: This is where my mama bear heart is starting to fall apart and freak out.
Speaker 3: My brain is going what no, what?
Speaker 2: No? Everybody pas pas, yeah, this is insane.
Speaker 1: Well it's because back in South Africa Stephen Bilko had been killed. They which is all this is real. They announced that he had killed himself, I believe when it turned out that he was actually beaten to death by the police. So they were afraid that things were international relations were going to get crazy, that there was going to be some sort of reprisal, and so they take her away. Now this is where there's another great turn where Congressom Jellums is like, no, that's okay with me. You don't just get to come into my home and take this girl who we now consider part of our family, who we love having around, out of my house, and you're sending her home if she doesn't want to go home. So he uses his pull and is able to get her back, which leads to actually an argument between the two girls about what's going on in South Africa. It's not going on in South Africa. It's another great level of not always being able to see a broken system when you're in the system right, And so there's that conversation about what's happening there. Again, it's just it's this for a Disney Channel movie. It really is on another level, it really is.
Speaker 2: And this scene was done so well by these two young actors.
Speaker 1: Oh they're so good. Because Peper just says, can I well why can't I come visit you? Yeah, it's like you can come here, but I can't go to you and your country. Don't you find that a little weird? Right? How is that not odd to you that I can't go there?
Speaker 2: And Maury, she's not it's not necessarily that she doesn't want her to come. She just doesn't see how that would be a good place for her to come. And she's not really one hundred percent sure why, you know what it's. It's you can tell she is trying to figure it out in her own brain, you know, remembering that she's a teenager. She loves this girl, she loves this new best friend. Yeah, and how to explain what she doesn't? I don't, like you said, she's in the system herself. She's not really actually seen everything.
Speaker 3: For what it is.
Speaker 2: And she's a kid, and she's a little one.
Speaker 1: She's the kid is supposed to be able to understand these nuances.
Speaker 2: And I'm sure not everything's one hundred percent explained to her.
Speaker 3: Even this is the.
Speaker 1: Way it is, especially in that family with the day.
Speaker 3: This is how it's always been, you know, that's.
Speaker 1: How it's going to be in my family, And this is how it's always going to be. Maury runs off crying and has a great scene with the congressman who explains that she can't change how her country is running, but she can change herself to help to change the future, which is just great. The girls makeup. Maury returns to South Africa now as an ally. She runs up to her housekeeper and this time she opens the inside of her jacket and she has the flag that represents the new South Africa that they want sewn inside her vest. Really really cool. It's the it's a freedom flag. And she goes and she frees that bird from the cage that her brother brought home. At the end of the movie. It was very moving. It was really cool, doubly so because you know that it's based on a true story. Just totally cool. Yeah, So, I mean that's the film. Now, did you have a favorite scene.
Speaker 2: I did love it because I, you know, obviously paying attention with the different storylines and things that were said. I loved the nanny's story and how it came full circle to the end, and honestly was watching it and when Maury's explaining it is when I caught on of you know, I took it as the community of the birds in the nest, right, I did not take on until Morey talks about the different colors of the birds and them all living together. I just took on the community. There's a lot of birds. It's not just one family in a nest. There's a bunch of them. I took on the community aspect. I loved that full circle moment and that it even made more to me in the end than it did in the beginning. I really loved that, you know.
Speaker 3: There.
Speaker 2: I loved the congressman Congress Delham when he came in to fight for her into the embassy. That was such an awesome moment because, like you said, this isn't the This is a totally different trope than what we normally see, and it was just amazing for him to really end up being her personal hero, you know, in this movie was so great. Obviously Piper is a big hero as well for her, you know, with their friendship, but him having his own transformation with her and how he viewed the importance of her and in his family now was something that I felt was so moving. I loved that part. That's probably my favorite scene.
Speaker 1: My favorite scene is still I mean, I loved. I loved all that stuff. I loved every time it was the two of them together. But the scene of the mom walking out of the airport, just saying, we all made assumptions. Yes, it was so quick, but there was something about that scene that was so like, we're gonna roll with it, we all. I loved it.
Speaker 2: However, though, when they leave the Congressman's building whatever that was where he was, I can't remember what it's called. She is kind of walking just her and Piper this is some of thees and leaving her really far.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's kind of like to catch up.
Speaker 2: I wanted to say one of my favorite things to say when people start whispering around me, excuse me. It's hard for me to eavesdrop when you lower your voice. Yeah, are there talking about me a little bit? Could you guys just slow down a little bit so I.
Speaker 1: Could hear a little easy.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I think they need the uh yeah, I need they needed the moment alone.
Speaker 4: Mother and daughter.
Speaker 3: They totally did.
Speaker 2: But it was just funny because I mean, I feel as a parent, I wouldn't leave a kid behind that right, who doesn't know where she's going, She'll she'll just follow us.
Speaker 1: Let's do our real reviews. I think I will. Why don't I take the five star one this time? Because I think I had the one star last time. I believe Yes, So our five star review is from big Boy and so the Color Bike Boy. The Color of Friendship is an amazing movie that teaches so many lessons, like the horrors of racism, never judging a book by its cover, and the importance of knowing history. On top of that, the acting is great. A great film for the whole family to enjoy. Couldn't agree with that?
Speaker 3: More awesome? Nice one?
Speaker 1: This is This is an interesting review.
Speaker 3: Is seen one star.
Speaker 2: I was confused. It's short, but it feels very cool, so weird. This is by Lilian DS. This movie was a great movie. I've never seen it, but it's good or bad.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 1: There you go, all right, love Bank and it covers all the bases. Thank you, Lillian.
Speaker 2: Not a wrong answer in that.
Speaker 1: Yes, its Lillian is a politician who likes to ride the fence. That's what we can tell about Lilian.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Lilian.
Speaker 1: We are now going to do as we like to play new fun games on our show. We are going to do any love these games called based on a true question. Now we know that the Color of Friendship and Got to kick it up for that matter, is based on a true story, which is awesome. So we're going to get in some other movies and we have to guess if it's based on a true story or it's completely made up. An example would be Titanic that's based on a true story, while say, Ernest goes to Jail is only half based on a true story. Okay, did you know that half of Ernest Goes to Jails based on a true story?
Speaker 3: I did not know that.
Speaker 1: It's because I'm lying to you, and once again you're gullible. Ernest goes to Jail be based on a true story.
Speaker 2: It sometimes you bring up lots of movies I haven't seen.
Speaker 1: But do you know the earnest movies?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 1: Oh, okay, we're gonna We're gonna do an Earnest movie night. We're not because we'd never make it through. For Again, as we've said every time with these games, we do not know the answers to any of these. We really don't. So we are going to jump in and uh, a producer will tell us if we're right or not. So the first movie Number one, one of my favorite movies.
Speaker 3: Great movies.
Speaker 2: I love this movie.
Speaker 1: Love this movie. Fifty First Dates starring Drew Berrymore and Adam Sandler, where a man falls in love with a woman that suffers from short term memory loss, so every morning the man is forced to make or fall in love with him all over again. I know it's based on a real syndrome, like short term memory loss is absolutely a real thing.
Speaker 2: No, I want to say this is this is based on a real story.
Speaker 1: I so want it to be based on a true story. So I'm going to agree with you because I want it to be real.
Speaker 2: I'm going to go as far as like I feel like I remember when they were doing press for it, Adams mentioned something, I.
Speaker 3: Feel like you've heard this before.
Speaker 1: Oh I hope you're right.
Speaker 3: It's probably gonna ruin my life right now.
Speaker 4: No, it's a true story.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, yes, I love that. The next one is another is a different type of romantic comedy. It's called the Texas Chainsaw.
Speaker 3: Massacre, Super Romantic.
Speaker 1: On their way to see their grandfather's grave, Sally and her paraplegic brother run into a group of crazed, murderous outcasts and are attacked by a chainsaw wielding man with a mask made of human skin. No, I'm hoping it's No. I think it's an amalgam, amalgamation of a bunch of things, so like the mass made of human skin I think is ed gean. I think it's at so, But I also feel like I've heard that maybe it's real. I'm gonna say based on my I'm gonna say, based on a true story.
Speaker 4: Well, good luck sleeping tonight, Sabrina, it's a true story.
Speaker 2: Oh no, no, no, no, Yes.
Speaker 1: And now our third movie is Cocaine Bear. A giant black bear consumes a significant amount of cocaine and embarks on a drug field rampage through a Georgia forest, endangering the lives of cops, criminals, and tourists.
Speaker 2: I could totally see that happening. I would feel so terrible for the bear.
Speaker 1: I'm pretty sure I read something that this is based on a true story.
Speaker 3: Yes, I think so too.
Speaker 4: It is a true story.
Speaker 2: Yeah, bear had something had to have happened to that for Bear, though, Do you have any idea how clean that bear's den would be?
Speaker 1: Oh, I've been up for four days cleaning. Okay, Number four cheaper by the dozen the Bakers? Was it really the Baker's There was a Baker's dozen? Wow? I never got that the Bakers have compromised their careers to raise twelve children. But when the mom writes a parenting memoir and goes on a book tour, the dad is in charge of the children and the household falls into chaos.
Speaker 2: True, I'm gonna say this seems like it could easily happen.
Speaker 1: But that's why. Don't you think producer Jensen threw one in to mess us up? I'm gonna say false.
Speaker 4: Okay, I'm thinking it's a true story.
Speaker 1: Oh man, yikes, yikes.
Speaker 3: Oh gosh.
Speaker 1: And finally number five, Oh.
Speaker 3: My worst enemy. I hate this movie.
Speaker 1: Oh it's such a good movie. Completely the local beach, killing beach goers and sending a group of fishermen on a journey to protect the city Sabrina.
Speaker 2: Well, you can see how that could be pulled from anything, right, because there's so many shark attacks. The ocean is not your friend. You should not just go in the ocean. I'm so scared of sharks. I'm gonna say true, No, it can't.
Speaker 1: Be no, Okay, So I happen to know for a fact that Peter Bench wrote this book based on seeing a twenty five to thirty foot great white shark hanging that fisherman caught it off of the coast.
Speaker 2: That's not a true story. That's just saying, oh wow, there's big sharks out there.
Speaker 1: Well, let's see what accounts as so Jensen.
Speaker 4: They are all true stories.
Speaker 2: Yeah, talk about a score, talk about something that will live with you forever.
Speaker 1: Wow, oh wow. Oh Texas chainsaw maskers real. No, I think I would rather face cocaine bear than the Texas chainsaw massacre people.
Speaker 2: Yeah, are you kidding me? Oh my gosh, I would unbelieve. I mean, the cocaine bear would be very scary.
Speaker 1: It would be well again, it's just oh my god. Yeah, crazy man on the street, se vcr and everything. All right, so so.
Speaker 2: Much anxiety now, thank you, Jensen, thank you so much.
Speaker 1: Let's do some Sabrina seas this time.
Speaker 3: Oh man today. Okay.
Speaker 2: So one of the first things that happened, right, and I thought you were gonna because it was just so.
Speaker 3: Funny, the little kid.
Speaker 2: That's as soon as the dad Cornerson Della is coming up. When the little kid's looking out the window and he's got that. Is it like a little telescope because it wasn't binocular? Okay, little he's got that going, and it's like the street.
Speaker 3: Is right there.
Speaker 2: He was so funny because it was.
Speaker 3: So cute, like the little little kid thing.
Speaker 2: That was just funny, like why do you need that the street is right out in front of your door?
Speaker 3: It's not way down there.
Speaker 2: I did say the fleeing up the stairs that was part of it because I thought that was kind of funny. Before that, the nanny when she has that when remember Maury's brother finds the flagg the flag and she grabs it, puts it away. You obviously know it's hers, you know, right from then the car is all of two feet away from her when she pulls it out, like it was the timing, And obviously that's just because of what they were needing for the scene and everything, But it was just kind of funny to me that she is trying to hide it but then pulls it out as soon as people could.
Speaker 3: They're not even far away.
Speaker 2: And then I wanted to see because I know you do click into the voiceover type stuff that happens. It was almost nauseating during the time where they were going from the dance to the dancing together. It was the montage sequence, right, like the multiple montages the dancing into the changing of outfits into that following scene.
Speaker 3: So it's three montage scenes that happened.
Speaker 2: The amount of the voiceover giggling started to irritate me, So, okay, get it, they're out of fun. Please stop making them. It's like they're showing them giggle bonding. I love to laugh, So I don't know why irritated me, but it was just for so long.
Speaker 3: It was a good four or five minutes. It felt like it kept going on and on.
Speaker 2: And then I did see Oh, the South African Embassy. That whole section was just kind of crazy to me. How they had this young girl who it was such a big deal. First of all, I can't believe she was able to leave, and I know this is a movie, but the fact that they were letting her leave when she's in their care, right, that whole situation was just so crazy and wild to me that you know, they've got this young girl who's in their care. They don't know these embassy people. There's no identification check, there was nothing. And then now they're going to take her to a building and just didn't seem like there was enough questions that were happening. And then my overall thing with this movie again, I loved this movie. This is me just really trying to find sure, right because there was so much that was so epic, the idea, like I said at the beginning, having an exchange student, really thinking about what that meant. In the seventies, it was wild to let your kid go right, you're talking, because there's no internet, you're talking. They did they obviously, I would think there was at least a picture of the family or something, and you got at least some kind of packet of paper.
Speaker 1: I don't know, it was just written down. It's a congressman's family. That's probably all they needed to know.
Speaker 2: It's so crazy to allow your kid to go live somewhere where you don't know anything about them, right, And nowadays you could get someone's name, you could look them up, you can, you can have conversations back and forth, way before you they go anywhere.
Speaker 1: It was the seventies though.
Speaker 2: It was the seventies and the way that that there was only a limited amount, right, Yeah, every time she makes a call, she's you know, for we'll talk about their their phone bill.
Speaker 1: Oh, the bill would have been crazy. Yeah, bill would have been crazy.
Speaker 2: Every time she makes the calls, it's like a collect call to get back to her, you know.
Speaker 3: Oh gosh.
Speaker 1: Just keep in mind in the seventies, it was like wait, by the time you were ten, you ran outside and your mom went be back by dinner. Yes, that was it.
Speaker 2: When the lights come on, right, yeah, the street lights come on, your lights come out right.
Speaker 1: See in twelve hours how it was. And if you wanted to drink, he found somebody's hoes. Thank you for that. And now we must rate our film. As you know, we always read our movies based one of ten, one being the worst, ten being the best. I don't know why we do it the other way around. That wouldn't make any sense. And so we have to figure out should this be one out of ten d com Emmys Washington, DC based Establishing Shots, seventies based jams, Barrel's Ice Cream Sundays, Disco Dancing montages, or Freaky Friday cross promotions? What do you like?
Speaker 2: I think we got to go because it is just so incredible that this dcom one an Emmy.
Speaker 3: I think we got to go dcom Emmys.
Speaker 1: Okay, you got it. So how many out of ten dcom Emmys do you give this movie?
Speaker 2: I mean, I feel this was right up there to the last one that I gave attend to.
Speaker 3: I loved this movie.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think it was so moving and it's It's definitely a movie you know, when Monroe is at a good age to have some kind of learning experience, I will love I will want to show her this movie.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, so you get you get a ten.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm going with a ten.
Speaker 1: Now you know me, I will never give a ten. I can't tend to me as perfection. But this is the most solid nine point five dcom Emmys that you can give it. I mean, this was This movie really surprised me because I knew nothing about it. It so easily could have gone the quote unquote stereo tip called decom route. Even with the same subject matter, they could have gone much lighter with it than they did. Much less about the parents, much less about, uh, you know, the actual system of racism in place in South Africa, and more of the wacky white girl lives what's going on? You know, lives in is living with a black family in America. They could have gone that route and they didn't. I love that they played against that. This is a solid nine point five for me. This movie really surprised me.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I loved this movie far more than what I loved when I loved it back when it first came up.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean watching it at a different level.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Yes, such a better appreciation for everything that this movie rings, you know to the audience. Yes, it was wonderful. I love loved.
Speaker 1: This is one everybody. You really if you have not seen it, you should watch it. It is really really good. Well, thank you so much for joining us on another episode of Magical Rewind. The next movie is an other film with Shaddya Simmons that we're doing two thousands Quints, which is a movie about Quinn tuplets. And I'm assuming she plays four roles or I don't know. We'll find out. I don't even want to. I'm excited to even find out because I have no idea. Well, Quints is five, no quiz, Yeah, you're right, Quad's is four? Yeah, Oh my god, she plays five different roles. I was never good with math when it comes in word form. So remember to subscribe to our feed and you can follow us at the Magical rewind Pod, on the Instagram Machine, and on our Park Copper episode. This week, we get to have a great conversation I'm so excited with one of the stars of the Color of Friendship, Lindsay Hahn. So make sure you go over there and check it out because the interview is amazing. Here's a clip.
Speaker 5: At that point, there wasn't really a lot of touchstones for the accent. You know, we didn't have Trevor Noah, we didn't have like a lot of South African stuff. So I tracked down this movie from Hollywood Video called If the Gods Were Monsters, because that was really the only way that you could listen to an authentic South African accent if you didn't know anyone. And it was, first of all, great movie and I never returned it, and.
Speaker 1: I love that.
Speaker 2: VHS or a DVD HS. Back in the day, it was the only copy they had.
Speaker 1: Thank you so much for joining us, and we will see you times five next time. Bye everybody.
Speaker 2: Bye,