Speaker 1: You are listening to the Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 2: We did it. We made it to a Friday. Look at this crowd. They were here early this morning. I don't even know if they left Lambeau. I think they went right from the Draft right over here. And we're glad to have them. By the way, it's a meat Friday. And yes we have Treger grills here with us. We got wings, flats, only cheese, kurds and brats. Who has it better than we do?
Speaker 3: Non?
Speaker 2: Alrighty? I like it? Audience participation. We'll try that again. Who has it better than we do? I love it. Out of the day brought to Bob Pennini America, the official trading cards of the program. Gang's here, Marvin's here, the king of comedy, Fritzie got a rhyme time coming up seat, AND's here Paulie in the back room. Guys, and we want to once again thank Miller Like Drafts at the Draft, our friends at Miller Like for fifty years, the top pick for beer lovers since nineteen seventy five. It's the original light beer play, the day, stat of the day, poll question, all of that forthcoming. We'll talk to Joe Thomas Hall of Famer at Cleveland Browns. He'll join us coming up in about fifteen minutes. Lewis Riddick was working the draft for the Mothership. He'll stop by a little later on Rick Neuheisel he'll join us as well, on loan from CBS Sports, and maybe he'll bring his guitar to play a song for us. Eight seven seven to three DP show we say good morning. If you're watching on Peacock, thank you downloading the app. It's our streaming partner. A lot of things to dive into. Yesterday, late in the show, I'd gotten word that Jacksonville was going to make a move. I didn't know what the move was going to be, and I thought, if they're trading up, who are they trading up for? Or if somebody is going to trade with them and they fall down a little bit in the draft, what's going to happen with Jacksonville. I thought the draft would start with Jacksonville. I guess you can say that the draft did start with Jacksonville because they went up and got the number two pick from the Cleveland Browns and they took Travis Hunter. Apparently they didn't have much contact with Travis Hunter prior to the draft, and I think he was surprised. But I give Jacksonville credit because you do have a quarterback and now you've got a curiosity there a two way player your show. Heyo Tani of sorts. I'm still confused here because we had Daniel Jeremiah who worked the draft for NFL Network and he joined us yesterday and he said it was one hundred percent, one hundred percent the Browns were taking Travis Hunter. And I'm thinking, okay, if they take Travis Hunter, and late in the show, I told you that I didn't think Shadoor Sanders was going in the first round. I had heard from somebody who said that they didn't think that. A scout said they didn't think that he was going in the first round. Now what I thought was, if he doesn't go in the first round, Cleveland has the first pick today. So you could take Shador Sanders today, You could have taken Travis Hunter yesterday, and then you reunite them. To me, that gives Cleveland some gravitas something umph you care. I mean, Joe Flacco's my age and he's quarterbacking the Cleveland brown Actually he's a year younger than they got it. But you got Miles Garrett. I mean, what else do you have here? You could have had an identity overnight with Travis Hunter and then Shador Sanders, and I think Cleveland's probably taking Shador Sanders with that first pick in the second round. So there were a lot of things yesterday and I'm watching the draft and you would never get the feeling that cam Ward was the number one overall pick because while he's being selected, the Mothership and NFL network went all in on the trade at number two. So cam Ward was an he might be one of those five ten years from now will be like Travis Hunter. Did he go number one? No, he went number two? Who went number one? Uh? Oh, that's right, Cam Warren because it and it felt like the I guess the best player, most notable player was Travis Hunter. The second most notable player was Shadoor Sanders. Those were the two guys who were talked about the most. Shaudur for not being drafted, got a lot of airtime, and uh he talked about not being selected in the first round.
Speaker 4: We all didn't expect this, of course, but I feel like with God, anything possible, everything possible. I don't feel that this happened, you know, for no reason. All this is is of course fields to the fire, and under no circumstance. We all know this sin that happened, but we understand we own the bigger and better things. Tomorrow's the day we're gonna be happy in regardless, doesn't there?
Speaker 2: All right?
Speaker 5: All right?
Speaker 2: Did you see his draft room? He's got legendary like, he's got legendary all over. It's as if the it's his wallpaper. It says legendary all over his room, all over everywhere. They got legendary wallpaper there. You know, he got humbled yesterday. He did. And if you'll go back to when we had Dion on when we were at the Super Bowl, it was like, are you telling teams to not draft your son? And I mean there was a whole big deal about he's not going to go play for those teams and is he going to pull an Eli Manning? But he got humbled. Although DraftKings just gave me the odds here, and the team that has the best odds to draft shudor Sanders is the Cleveland Browns. Now the Raiders are second, and then you have the Saints, Steelers, a distant fourth, tied with the Jets and the Rams. There, Yes, Todd.
Speaker 6: To what extent was that arrogance, brash rumor thing you think a factor in him not going to pick in the first round versus that these teams just didn't want him in round one?
Speaker 2: What do you think?
Speaker 3: I think it did have a little bit of a factor.
Speaker 6: I think there were a few teams that considering him, and that might have been the deciding factor. If they thought he had some kind of arrogance to him, that he might not be good in the locker room, then just you know what, let's move on to somebody else.
Speaker 2: I don't know, I haven't heard anything. I know that. You know, we've had these anonymous gms or you know, scouts who have said that about him. I was just told he didn't have a first round grade late yesterday in the show, scout said I don't have a first round grade, and he didn't waiver off of this. This is also the same person who said that he thinks a lot of the guys who do mock drafts were worried about, in his words, the smoke from not putting Shad or Sanders in the first round. Getting that smoke from Dion, and I think that maybe people put him in there because, well, it's going to drive traffic to your mock draft if you don't have shot or in the first round. You know, we're in the entertainment business now. Whether that's true or not, This is from a scout saying that he think a lot of the guys who do mock drafts put him in there just out of respect for Dion Sanders. I said this before on the show. I had him third on my Heisman ballot. I had Ashton Genty, I had Travis Hunter, and then I had Shador. I thought that much of him. The one thing that kept coming back that I kept hearing was when you play in the NFL, you process so much quicker. And that's going to be a challenge for him and cam Ward and Jackson Dart, whoever it is. You know a lot of these guys play in a system that is really catered to making a lot of plays, completing a lot of passes. Shadoor was taken a lot of punishment. But you know, my friend who's his scout, said he holds onto the ball too long. Caleb Williams held on to the ball too long. And you saw what happened to him in his rookie year. Can Shador play in the NFL? I believe that. Do I think he's a star? I don't, but I had great respect for what he did at Colorado. And if I'm Cleveland and I've got Joe Flacco as my quarterback and Deshaun Watson somewhere in the building, I probably would have gone all in on Travis Hunter. I've got something unique. I've got something that somebody will tune in to watch. We're relevant, You're not. Now you know it's hey, let's tune in to watch Miles Garrett. Okay, you start with a quarterback or a skill position guy. And if I've got Travis Hunter and I take Shador Sanders, I'll roll the dice on Shador's a second second day draft pick. Yeah.
Speaker 7: See, Shadur has that thing where he's a star, but maybe not a star player at that level. Right, he gets the attention, he's got a certain amount of charisma and all of those things that you want a little.
Speaker 8: Flash for a superstar. Just the question is will he be a star player?
Speaker 2: Right? Well, how many times do we say this like somebody's famous, but we don't know what they're famous for.
Speaker 8: Yeah, you're famous for being famous?
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, yeah, like Anna Kornakova, the tennis player, good poll. Yeah, like she was famous, but she wasn't a great tennis player.
Speaker 8: So Shadur is the and a cornickle.
Speaker 2: No, I don't know. I don't want to do it sounds like it does it sounds I'm going to retrack that. I don't want it taken out of contest. Yes.
Speaker 9: Do you think what happened yesterday is that the Browns were all set and then someone got drunk and overpaid.
Speaker 2: Well, I don't. I don't know if they actually got drunk, but they gave.
Speaker 9: Up the fifth pick, the thirty six pick Jacksonville. They gave it one hundred and thirty six pick and a first rounder next year, which should be in the top fifteen.
Speaker 2: It's a lot. If you're doing that, it feels like you're doing that because you're getting somebody who puts you over the top. I thought Jacksonville was going to win their division last year. I don't know if they have a star quarterback. I don't know if they have a franchise quarterback. He gets paid to be a franchise quarterback. But and plus, how am I using Travis Hunter? Can I use him the entire game? Is it going to be more offense than defense? And this is what Daniel Jeremiah said that you had Travis Hunter who was going to major in offense in minor in defense, and it felt like, by all accounts he could walk in day one and be a Pro Bowl cornerback and maybe not the same as a wide receiver. Uh seton? What's the poll question for the first hour of the program, We.
Speaker 8: Might as well start with that story right there.
Speaker 2: Long term?
Speaker 8: Who made the better move? Jaguars or Browns?
Speaker 2: M Okay, all right, what else do you have?
Speaker 7: Well, I don't know if this one is fair, so I guess I might as well ask it on air. Shadar Sanders fell because ability or attitude.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna say ability.
Speaker 8: I could also throw in another option there that says his dad. But wow, all of these feel really unfair.
Speaker 2: Probably not getting Dion on today? Are we probably? Did you reach out Todd to Dion? Okay? Yeah, probably not getting him on today. This is I'm waiting for a we're keeping receipts. I'm waiting for that from Dion.
Speaker 9: Yes, PAULI I can't remember a draft in the last ten years where the analysts were so different. Mel Kiper was pounding the table literally going, this is a huge mistake by about six or seven teams. A couple other like serious analysts. Last night on the two different networks were saying, I have Shador as my top three picks overall, top quarterback, hands down. He's risk free, he's a competitor, you know that. Don't worry about measurables. It's drastically different the opinions.
Speaker 2: That's what amazes me. And then to have somebody who I trust say that he didn't have a first round grade for Shador. You're watching the same player play in the same games against the same competition that everybody else is. But you come away and I always use it as when you go into a museum and you go look at that, and then somebody will say what is that? Or wow, look at like if you've ever looked at a Jackson Pollock painting, and then you go, who spilled all this paint? Or it's man, that's a genius there, or a roth go where you go that a couple of million dollars, you know, So that kind of the way you look at sometimes these quarterbacks. Ashton Genty, I think we attached him to the Raiders a couple of months ago. I like what they're doing, but you got to keep pace in the West. Kansas City's good. Chargers got another running back. You know they're going to be good. Denver was a playoff team. I like what the Raiders did. We said this with Pete Carroll. Pete Carroll's not there to build the Raiders. He's there to win with the Raiders. And that's why you get Gino, who can play. He's a good quarterback. I got Brock Bowers, who's awesome. Now I get a great running back, and I got Max Crosby. I at least have something. I always look at some of these teams and you go, you know, coming up on Sunday night football, and then all of a sudden, you know, you go to the Steelers and it's Cam Hayward and you go, oh, that's not a good thing. You have to have somebody that you go, oh, yeah, we're gonna tune in and watch that guy. Well, the Raiders have those guys. Yes.
Speaker 7: When you look at Travis Hunter, right, I keep seeing a lot of the question marks about him as a cornerback. Everybody seems to be like he's polished, he's ready to go. There seems to be way more questions of him as a wide receiver. But that almost all of the like you were just saying about Daniels Aremia. It's like, well he's gonna major in offense and minor and defense.
Speaker 2: Doesn't that feel reversed? Yes? Yeah, I was surprised at that because I think he just and also, but look at the pay if you look at what receivers get and what DB's get. I mean, if I if I'm Travis Hunter, I'm going I think I'd like to play offense. I think they pay a little bit or over there. But he's a unicorn here. Is he going to get the Is he gonna get numbers as a wide receiver if he's splitting time? And Drew Brees said this yesterday, He's like, I don't want my star receiver playing defense. I don't want that. Like the odds of getting injured. Everybody gets injured if I add an extra forty plays, so I've already increased the odds that my star player is going to eventually get hurt.
Speaker 7: Yes see, there was always that old saying that I heard once about or many times about if you have two quarterbacks, you don't have one. Kind of feel the same way about that about Travis Hunt. If you have two positions and you probably don't have one which is the one that you're going to be great at, and then if you're going to start doing the other one, it's taking away from how good you could be at the other.
Speaker 2: Do you think the Cleveland Browns made a good decision yesterday? I feel like maybe, so you're on the clock, cam Ward's gone, Now you're on the clock. Jacksonville calls and says, here you go. How would you have done?
Speaker 8: I think that by taking him, you win the day. But I don't know that. I feel like it's a little bit of a trap.
Speaker 2: Okay, I do.
Speaker 8: I feel like it's a little I think he's a great kid. I hope he does really, really well.
Speaker 7: I feel like it's a little bit of a trap because he's he's very clear about I'm playing both positions here, and almost everybody universally is like, but you can't.
Speaker 2: Marvin, you're on the clonk.
Speaker 3: If I'm Cleveland, I'm keeping my pick.
Speaker 2: So you're gonna you're gonna keep Travis Hunter. I am okay, Todd, you're on the clonk taking Travis hunder Paul, I'm trading.
Speaker 3: I don't want to be micromanaged and.
Speaker 9: Critiqued by how I use this player both sides of the ball. If you have an offensive set where he's not on the field for some reason and you thrown in completion, what are you doing?
Speaker 3: What are you doing?
Speaker 2: Every week? But I want to be talked about Cleveland's not going to be talked about. You're not relevant. It's it's close with me.
Speaker 9: Like I if you take him man his first five years, he's probably gonna be awesome and play both ways. But my bet is in five years he's at one position.
Speaker 2: All I need him is for five years, yes, rookie contract, Like I need to be relevant. I gotta get out from underneath de Sean Watson's deal. We eventually find our quarterback. I would have had Travis, I would have had Shador and now all of a sudden we are relevant.
Speaker 7: Yeah see, but you also have to give him time to get up to speed. Right, so you're gonna have to survive that first half of the season. Say where it's like all right, is this working, or isn't it right?
Speaker 2: Yeah, but you're not making the playoffs, so you do have that leeway. It's like, okay, so what but people will tune in to watch the Browns, Yes, Martin, all right.
Speaker 10: So if he's just great at one position and margin with the other, is he considered a bust because the thing about him was he's a unicorn he plays both sides of the ball.
Speaker 2: Well, Otani's not a great pitcher. He's a good pitcher. If he doesn't pitch again, nobody's gonna say he's a bust.
Speaker 9: Yeah, Paul, I think the comp to Otani is exact. It's not even like forced. When Otani decided to come to a or can play MLB, he told teams I'm playing both ways. A number of teams passed on him. They passed, and one of the teams that said, will embrace it because the Angels needed relevancy and needed star power, and they said, yes, did they keep him, No, but they're one of the few teams that said you can play both ways.
Speaker 7: For US baseball as well, also one of those games that you can go innings without having to do anything. You know, you might not see a single ball at right field, and you might not bat for this inning, next inning and the whatever, and so you actually do nothing. Playing both ways in baseball or doing both positions is way easier than in the NFL.
Speaker 2: All right, and with that, we'll take a break. Well, last Joe Thomas, former Cleveland Brown, Well he would have done last night? Yep, that was good sports radio cons almost round of applause.
Speaker 8: Look at us, do.
Speaker 2: You know what I mean? How about we take a break here, come on back after this.
Speaker 1: Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at Foxsports Radio dot com and within the iHeartRadio app. Search FSR to listen live. This is crazy another Draft night live. You know, you know we had it all the insiders, the pros, the pigs. If you missed anything podcasted on your favorite platform or just watch it on YouTube, just search FSR. We are Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 2: We'll talk to the Hall of Famer Joe Thomas, former Cleveland Brown, get his thoughts. What would he have done if he was running the Browns when they were on the clock last night. By the way, the coolest moment last night was when Mark Murphy of the Packers got on stage and did this for the first time since two thousand two. Laughter live the favor.
Speaker 3: Listen to this crowd.
Speaker 11: Oh baby, Matthew Golden, why fare.
Speaker 12: Yeah, we're going up.
Speaker 2: That's so good. That was great, That was great, amazing because it was all week long we kept hearing Packer fans saying who are we going to take? Who are we going to take? And I just kept saying wide receiver because I didn't think they were going to take a wide and being like wide receiver, of course, we even asked coach Lafleur even told him, you're gonna take a wide receiver? I don't know. And then last night so pretty a pretty great moment there. By the way, the last time a team traded up into the top two to take a non quarterback was nineteen ninety seven. This player turned out to be a Hall of Famer. Anybody want to take a guess? Anyone want to take it?
Speaker 13: Yes?
Speaker 14: Office of Line in Orlando Pace, Bloop blue, Yeah, here comes here comes that?
Speaker 2: What what that of the day? I brought to you by Panini America. Yes, the Rams traded up to take Orlando Pace. That same year, the Raiders traded up to number two to take Darryl Russell, defensive lineman. His career didn't turn out as well as Orlando Paces. This guy's career similar to Orlando Pace Hall of Famer. He's Joe Thomas joins us on the program. Joe, come on in here, right round of applause for you in.
Speaker 3: Holly Walks Poor.
Speaker 11: Yes, you know I did not come empty handed here because you know, I'm from Wisconsin and whok is enjoying yourself And my mom always taught me we got to be Wisconsin nice and you don't show up as a guest empty handed.
Speaker 3: I got a little hat for you.
Speaker 11: I know you guys aren't Browns fans, but somewhere there's a Browns fan that may want that when we leave.
Speaker 2: Okay, are you still a Browns fan after what happened last night? Well, it was a little tough last night.
Speaker 11: It was like Christmas morning when you're waking up and you've asked Santa for that one gift and you're just sure it's coming, and all of a sudden you open it up and it's like, hey, this is a gift certificate for next year's Christmas.
Speaker 2: Like I'm dang, what would you have done?
Speaker 11: I mean, it would be hard for me to pass up on Travis Hunter just because he's a guy that can change the game on both sides of the ball. You can never have enough good cornerbacks, you can never have enough good wide receivers. And it would have been nice to see him because I think he's just a great locker room guy. And it was a tough year for Browns fans, let's be honest, and so to get a little bit of excitement and hope on Draft Day, which is typically our super Bowl, would have been kind of nice. But I think when you look at the Hall that they got, how do you turn that down? I mean, it was a historic hall for being able to just slide back a couple spots and then.
Speaker 3: Still get a great player in Mason Graham.
Speaker 2: Okay, but this is what I never understand. People talk about, Oh, you got all these draft picks, But if you're not good at drafting, what does it matter? Because the Browns have a history of recent history of not being very good at drafting.
Speaker 3: What do you consider recent like the last twenty.
Speaker 2: Years, last fifteen years, I mean you.
Speaker 11: Worked, Yeah, well, I mean they've had some good picks obviously, Miles Sarrett yeah, exactly.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the reason we're in this situation.
Speaker 2: Is like Johnny Manzil, Yeah, the defensive back from Oklahoma State.
Speaker 11: Let's not talk about Justin Gilbert mention that name.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but I just thought if you take Travis Hunter, now you're relevant. Now somebody, now we would tune in to watch the Browns. Nobody's tuning in to watch Miles Garrett. I mean, you appreciate Miles Garrett, but you want to be relevant and the Browns aren't relevant. Now. The curiosity is how old is their quarterback? I mean that's really the big curiosity here. You get Travis Hunter and then today you get Shdor Sanders. Now I got something. I got something fun here. Maybe it's not sustainable with the quarterback, but at least you reunite them. Now people are talking about the Cleveland Browns.
Speaker 13: Yeah.
Speaker 11: I guess do you want to win the draft or do you want to win some games down the line. And I think it's a difficult decision, and it's a tough trade off when you're sitting here and everybody wants that microwave approach, that instant gratification of being able to have those two guys like you mentioned and you got the excitement, but you know, there was a lot of excitement when we drafted Johnny Manziel and you know, we've had a lot of excitement on draft day in the past and it's not always worked out. So sometimes I think you do have to make the tough decisions and be realistic about the situation you're in. Admit to yourself that hey, we aren't one player away and we don't have enough conviction in Shador standers hoping that they'd be able to get them today to say like, yep, we put those two guys together, we got a strong playoff team. We think that Shadur is a guy that can make maybe give us a run in the playoffs.
Speaker 3: And I just don't think that evaluation and led them to that belief.
Speaker 2: Did you ever pull Johnny Manzil to the side and have a conversation with him?
Speaker 11: We talked occasionally, and I was like, hey, man, why don't you love football more? It would be really cool if you showed up for a few meetings every now and then.
Speaker 2: And what did he say?
Speaker 3: I don't think he was there. I think I was sending a text message like, hey, we're at the meeting.
Speaker 2: Review you don't think he loved football.
Speaker 11: I think it was pretty obvious that he enjoyed playing football as a kid's game. But when it came to doing the work, the preparation that it takes, you know, it's really hard, especially being a quarterback in the NFL, because you're putting a lot of time in on your own, getting yourself ready not only for games, but practicing, watching film and dedicating your body to the weight room.
Speaker 3: And look at what Tom Brady did.
Speaker 11: I mean, basically all he did when he was a player was take care of his body, study film, and play football. And that's the commitment you have to make, and not everybody's willing to make that.
Speaker 2: Well, you see a lot of quarterbacks, not a lot, but you see some that are they'd been so good, it's so easy for them in high school, and like Kyler Murray, I just think football was easy for him, and then you get to the pros where you really have to put in the time. Now Johnny in high school, Johnny in college, and then all of a sudden you get to the pros and you just see some of these guys who it was too easy for them. The hard part is when you like you feel like you've made it when you get to the NFL. But that's when it starts, like you didn't make it when you were drafted by the Browns. You had to then prove, you know, that you were worthy of that draft pick.
Speaker 11: Yeah, And that's one of the reasons that when I was drafted in two thousand and seven, I wasn't super excited to go to the draft because it kind of made me upset.
Speaker 3: That a lot of players thought that this was the end of the road.
Speaker 11: You know, this was my king moment, and now all the work is done and I can just enjoy the work that I did before and the money that comes and the fame that comes. But for me, it was just like, Hey, this is where I'm going to be starting my journey, and this is where the work begins. And I think, no matter who you are, no matter how great you are in college and how great you become in the NFL, you do hit those oil slicks on your path to success. And you got to be willing to put in a different level of work and commitment to your craft than you did to be great and win the Heisman in college.
Speaker 2: Didn't I I talk to you the day of the draft or after the draft? You were hunting, weren't you.
Speaker 11: I was fishing shot on Lake Michigan out of Port Washington, Wisconsin with the dad.
Speaker 3: Yeah it was great.
Speaker 11: Hey, maybe there's some people from Port Washington not too far from here.
Speaker 2: But why go fishing instead of go to the draft?
Speaker 11: Well, Gil Brandt asked me to go to the draft the Hall of Fame scout from the Dallas Cowboys. And you know, I'm a man of my word. I'm a guy that keeps his commitments. Or I tried to. I did ghost you one time on the show back at like two thousand and nine. I'm sorry about that one still, by the way. But you know, I had a date to fish with my dad going back a long time on Saturday, and the NFL was just a little bit late to ask me to show up to the draft, and I said, hey, sorry, I'm already planning to go fishing with my And that sounds a lot more fun than putting on the suit and going to New York City.
Speaker 2: What advice would you give these offensive linemen who were drafted.
Speaker 11: I would say, just come in with your head down, be ready to work, your eyes open, your mouth shut, listen, and learn from those old guys and try to build yourself a process to prepare for games, because that was one of the things that was the most important in my career. I had Hank Freeley, who is our center now turning into a great NFL coach. He was offensive line coach for the Detroit Lions. But I was able to get in there and some other veteran guys, and they showed me their process, how you watch film, how you take notes, how you prepare for practice, how you evaluate yourself. Because the coaches are going to do a great job, but if you want to be great, if you want to be consistently great, you got to do it for yourself. And you've got to have a system that you stick to that you go through every single day for practice and then every week when you're getting ready for Sundays.
Speaker 2: Well, you know, the Patriots were on the clock, and then they take the offensive lineman Will Campbell out of LSU and you know it's not a sexy pick, but then you hear what he says that he's gonna he'll die check my corner back. That's when you go, yes, you know, Mike vrabel got he's gone. But then they talk about short arms. I mean, how long are your arms?
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 11: Maybe somebody can look it up. But that was the knock on me coming out draft, which I always thought was funny. I'm like, what what makes my arms short? I guess I don't understand, like if my middle finger is an inch longer, because they measure from here to here, which is kind of a weird measurement. Like I don't block people like this last time I checked. Usually I'm like going like this, and I'm blocking with my feet. My hands are just connecting me and my body to the opponent. And so I mean, obviously longer is better than shorter with your appendages, but like it really is not gonna Well, here we go. We got apparently an officionado, he knows the thing. But uh, I don't know why they think that, like a very very minute difference is able to classify somebody as Ye, you can do it, and no, sorry, you can't do it, because really, it's your feet, it's your technique, it's your balance, it's your mind and your ability to get into those biomechanical positions. It's the way you can bend your ankle's, knees and hips like that's what determines success or failure. But I think sometimes, especially with the combine, we're very attached to these measuring systems that are very very archaic. They're not very accurate at measuring exactly how long are your arms? Because I always thought, hey, wouldn't it be goods if you put like a plate of glass between the guy's chest and you had them stick like their arms out like this with their palms, because that's what you block people with. You don't block people like this, but the problem and you certainly don't block them like this. Even wingspan is kind of misleading because now you're measuring how long are their hands and their fingers, how wide is their chest, which really it's obsolete, it doesn't matter. But they always want a way to be able to compare the people that were there ten, twenty, thirty, forty years ago, because they build these models of all, right, you know, this is the probability of success if they have this measurement. In that measurement, they don't want to change it, even though a lot of that stuff really it's just not applicable at all, even to the thing that they're trying to measure.
Speaker 2: He's a Hall of Famer Joe Thomas, how many sacks did you give up in your career?
Speaker 11: I don't think I gave up any actually, you know, the ones that they may be credited for me were probably the quarterback's fault.
Speaker 2: How many do you think you actually.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think it was probably around twenty or something like that. Six.
Speaker 2: How many times did you hold well?
Speaker 3: I never helped for sure. How many times did you get cold penalties? I don't know, maybe thirty, twenty ten, five, I don't know.
Speaker 2: Joe is raising beef cattle. Yeah, it's your Hall of Fame beef products.
Speaker 11: Yeah, you know, you guys do this such a great show, and you're out here grinding away and you don't get food. But there's nothing better than a beef stick for a snack.
Speaker 3: So yes, I figure you guys, you know, make it a little hungry today.
Speaker 11: And so I had a chance to offer you some of the great Hall of Fame beef from my family farm in Wisconsin.
Speaker 2: It's six Springs arm dot com for more information.
Speaker 11: Be wary that this is exceptional stuff and you might not go back to the regular stuff if you're going back home. This is the stuff that my kids are literally fighting over when they come home from school. So I hope you enjoy it, but you stop farming the table. Wo it's the kind of a passion project. See hey, that was a good answer, And I'll put the knife away before I get in trouble.
Speaker 2: Please.
Speaker 3: We're doing good things in Wisconsin, aren't we. Guys? Here we go, we still got a crowd here.
Speaker 2: Do you wish you would have played for the Packers?
Speaker 3: You know, I grew up a huge Packer fan.
Speaker 11: I was twelve when they won the Super Bowl, Brett Farv and the Roy Butler and Reggie White and uh so I carried that through college and then you get drafted and until you really are just all in for another team. Playing for the Browns. Obviously Browns fan, I wanted us to win, but you still kind of hold that love for your team that you grew up in because you remember all those feels that you had, you know, when they had the successes, and so early on in my career, I was always kind of saying, you know, I wasn't hoping they would trade for me, but I wasn't going to be mad if they did. Because living in Wisconsin, obviously, the weather is so nice as it is today forty in raining. I got my family here, get to play in lambeau Field, which is the greatest stadium.
Speaker 3: It's the cathedral to football.
Speaker 11: But then as my my career wore on, my kids were born in Cleveland, I've really identified more as a Cleveland Er, as a Cleveland Brown and so now living back in Wisconsin, kids are allowed to be Packer fans. I cheer for them if they're not playing the Browns. But you know, I think it's interesting, as you work in the business, how kind of your allegiances just changed a little bit.
Speaker 2: But you didn't think about maybe one your final year like JJ Watts, I see, yeah, talked about maybe one year playing for them.
Speaker 3: But he didn't. So it's like, you know, I get he wanted to, but he wanted to. I mean I wanted to.
Speaker 11: But you know, I think when you kind of weigh the costs and the benefit of everything, in the end, you still want to be in like a great situation for you and how you fit into the team, and that's kind of like the most important thing I think for me. My career ended probably before I wanted to because I had a bad knee and I tore my try sip. I was just kind of breaking down. But you know, the little kid in me says, heya, I wouldn't have been cool to put the green and gold helmet on. But I never also wanted to be the guy that's like, oh, he used to be good, but we're just kind of taping him together and rolling him out there to be nice to him.
Speaker 2: Right, did you ever score a touchdown?
Speaker 3: I never did. I picked up a couple fumbles and that's about it.
Speaker 2: Never.
Speaker 11: No, never, never. In the end of that, I guess maybe close. In my mind, it was Thursday night football in Cincinnati and we fumbled into the end zone and I jumped on.
Speaker 3: The pile and I was like, this is my chance, this is you know.
Speaker 11: But I had a record going towards the end of my career of consecutive snaps over ten and a half years. I never missed the play. And so if you go in as an eligible receiver, like on the goal line, to try to throw you a pass, and let's say there's a penalty or something like that, now you back up and it's third down and long, and you want to be able to put that player back in as a tackle and take them away from being an eligible number. You can't do that without taking a time out. So they never even put like a play and to placate me and make me think that I was gonna be able to score a touch on. But I also had my hands taped like a box or I had casts on my thumbs and my fingers looked like ninja turtles.
Speaker 3: So I actually didn't even want.
Speaker 11: To try to catch a ball because I it would be real bad like this.
Speaker 2: Uh, he is Joe Thomas and it's six Springsfarm dot com. That's right, and so this is direct to consumer.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we sell on the website. You know.
Speaker 11: It's me and my family and my kids in twenty and eighteen said hey, Dad, we want a pet cow.
Speaker 3: And I'm like, oh boy, this is going to take some work.
Speaker 11: And then I started thinking like, oh, but but I can eat this pet.
Speaker 3: I can't do that with the other ones.
Speaker 11: And so I'm like, you know what what I learned as a pro athlete as how you take care of your body and how the fuel that you put in it it gives you the fuel that you put out, and you know how your body is determined and how you feel. And I was like, well, you know, I love eating beef, so I want to see if I can raise the best beef on planet Earth, regardless of price.
Speaker 3: You know, NFL salary was good, so I don't have to worry about.
Speaker 11: Pitching pennies on raising raising the beef cattle. And we just kind of stumbled into something and it all started with getting five cows for the kids.
Speaker 2: That's great. Uh. If you would like to see Joe's meet, then you can go to It's available every night six spring arms dot com. Good to see you, Thanks thanking On.
Speaker 3: I appreciate you guys.
Speaker 2: Play the day up next.
Speaker 1: Be sure to catch the live edition of The Dan Patrick Show weekdays at nine am Eastern six am Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio WAP Oh my God.
Speaker 2: Play of the Day, the play of the day, check the shaft run so just across the timeline, sixty three seconds to play. Tend to shoot a tax rooter left shot in the lane, scoop shot is good back till that fuck for Jalen Brunson, who takes as stare down at the Pistons bench. JB. Vickerstaff Paul's time out. It's on one twelve, one oh five lead with fifty nine seconds to go. Good mix take a two to one series lead against the Pistons. That's courtesy of the Knicks Radio Network. That's your play of the day, brought to you by the great folks at Maco. Most cars on the road could use a little TLC. Mako brings your car back to life. Affordable PA joms like collision repairs. Get a free estimate today and remember, uh oh, better get Maco. Paul and Iowa. Hi, Paul, what's on your mind today?
Speaker 15: Hey Dan? Well go pack go All Tacker fans are waking up Golden this morning. That's Matthew Golden pony boy, finally a first round receiver. It's amazing. I have a reminder and a question for you. First, the reminder before all the reaction and overreaction today, just remember in twenty twelve, the Seahawks were given an S grade by by Bleacher Report for drafting Bruce Serving, Bobby Wagner, and Russell Wilson with their first three takes. And if you don't know who won the Super Bowl that year, you should ask somebody can see there?
Speaker 2: Paul?
Speaker 8: What do we heck you get in there?
Speaker 2: Lad? Go ahead, slow down, let's go go pack, go now, go away, Paul oh, I thought he was a little aggressive there.
Speaker 7: See Okay, maybe maybe that might have been just energy enthusiasm.
Speaker 2: He's on air, he's ready, and Dan and salt Lake, Hi Dan, good.
Speaker 13: Morning, gentlemen. Uh two questions in a couple of shout outs. First of all, I do believe that uh shaudor going second round is going to be better for me in the long run. I would like your opinion. I would like Fritzie's opinion on the Denver draft. Shout out to my kids who both made me grandparents within three weeks, which was crazy because I had to travel to Texas both times, and how to shout out to Hunter Andrews, who's going to be the next Gronkowski from the University of Utah.
Speaker 2: You know right, Thank you, thank you, and congratulations on your grand kits there Chris and Florida. Hi Chris, what's on your mind today?
Speaker 12: Hey Dan, I'm a Brown stand and I wanted to get your thought on this because what I really didn't like. I've been thinking about Shador Sanders a lot. What I really didn't like was his comment last night, his comment where he said I believe it was under no circumstances should this have happened. And my thought was in granted, I'm a forty nine year old guy, you know, been around the block, and he's less than half my age, and you know, and I get that, but it just tells me he has no awareness of why he felt. And I find that to be a big, a big concern with that comment. Wanted to get your thoughts on it.
Speaker 2: Well, he's got confidence. I mean, that's that's really what he's always had, that's been front and center. Thanks for the phone call. And you know when I heard this anonymous GM or scouter whoever it was who said he didn't interview, Well, it goes back to, you know, your interpretation of something, because somebody can come off as a jerk or somebody can come off as I love that he had confidence. I mean, that's that's the difference with this. Do I think Shador seems entitled? Sure? Do I think that he's been treated as a star most of his life? Yes? And if you don't like that, then you don't draft him, plain and simple, if you don't think that kind of personality. And you know, and once again, I don't want to speculate on this I try to give you information from people who do this for a living, and I don't have any information on him, you know, with an interview or being cocky. All I can go on is you know what was reported. But I only went with what Mike's source said yesterday late in the show, and that is he didn't have a first round grade. Now he didn't say his attitude. He just said as a quarterback. I don't have a first round grade on it. That's all I can go on. Uh, Paul in Vegas? Hi Paul, what's on your mind?
Speaker 13: Hi?
Speaker 4: Dan?
Speaker 5: Thanks for taking my call. The Brown's ability to draft is definitely something that looms very large over this conversation and point while taking. But I think if you looked at it from the standpoint of would you have the Browns take a wide receiver at the second pick who's only going to be available sixty percent of the time or a dB that was only available forty percent of the time at number two versus that draft call and being able to get a starter immediately on defense, you would take that trade in a heartbeat because the greatest ability is availability, and I think you know Travis's potential for even being exposed to more injury is going to make that pick taking him even more risky.
Speaker 2: I just think that you have somebody we've never seen before, and if you're the Cleveland, you need help on both sides of the ball. If I said you're going to draft somebody who's going to help you on both sides of the ball, now might not be every play, but you know you're getting an impact player who's going to help you. I can't pass that up. And you're right, you're not going to trade up number two to get a wide receiver or a defensive back. But would I trade up to get both of them? I would. Rick Neuheisel will join us former college coach, and Lewis Riddick from the Mothership will stop by as well. One hour in the books, two more to go on this meet Friday, Dan Patrick's show