Speaker 1: Two Pros and a cup of Joe Fox Sports Radio, LaVar Arrington, Brady Quinn, Jonas knocks with you in for the Dan Patrick Show on this New Year's Eve edition, and we are talking college football. It's officially bowl season. We're going to have another edition of Quinn's Wins, getting you set for the college football playoffs.
Speaker 2: We're going to talk about one.
Speaker 1: Guy recommitting to a blue blood program like we've never seen before. John Calipari's got some thoughts on a major issue in the world of sports. The old Pete petrospopa Acas is going to stop by, and we got the usual fun stuff. It's all yours coming up next here, Two pros and a cup of Joe in for the Dan Patrick Show, Final one of the Year for twenty twenty five, right here on Fox Sports Radio, and away we go. It is the Dan Patrick Show here on Fox Sports Radio. LaVar Arrington, Brady Quinn, Jonas Knox with you.
Speaker 3: What what up Uh?
Speaker 1: You can listen to us as always on the iHeartRadio app and you can find us on hundreds of affiliates all across the country. If you're on the podcast right now, we appreciate you making us a part of your podcast listening day, and if you're not familiar, you can't hear us Monday through Friday before the Dan Patrick Show six to nine am Eastern Time. We are two Pros and a Cup of Joe, but in for DP and the guys here and by the way, check out our brand new YouTube channel for the show. Just search two pros FSR on YouTube.
Speaker 4: Begin.
Speaker 1: That's two pros FSR. Be sure to hit the subscribe button. Don't stop there, hit the thumbs up icon and comment away. Let us know who on the show you agree with, who you think is wrong. But check out our new channel on YouTube. Begin Just search two pros FSR and subscribe.
Speaker 2: What up sticks?
Speaker 5: Good morning man, Good morning? How are you doing?
Speaker 2: We are good?
Speaker 3: We are he's old professional today? All professional?
Speaker 5: What are you talking? You know more?
Speaker 3: You aren't. You aren't all professional. I'll tell you that. I don't know what that means. I don't pay attention to social media.
Speaker 5: Got leea, what's going on on my timeline yesterday? I don't know, bro. I felt like there was a clashing of cultures on my very timeline.
Speaker 3: Cultures.
Speaker 2: Yeah, what are you talking about? Oh no, man?
Speaker 5: It was like it was two pros versus up on game, and I was in the middle of it.
Speaker 6: Here's the thing about LeVar too, Since LaVar's got a Saturday morning show, he will try to be like, hey, whosh, why do you go out and reach out about something? And an interesting thing about it was he couldn't have listened to the clip because what he said clearly meant he didn't like. If you listen to it, it literally answered his question in it, which is one of the reasons why other people started to jump ontom after that.
Speaker 5: I get stressed out on stuff like that. I did not I did not facilitate that. I did not instigate that. In fact, I did not even look at it. I just saw I put I saw you responded, I saw he wrote something. I put popcorn on one, I put eyes on one, and I said it was two pros verses up on get u og and that was it. I was out.
Speaker 1: For the people that aren't familiar, we're referring to Lincoln Riley basically putting the blame on Notre Dame for the canceling of the Notre Dame USC rivalry. Brady responded yesterday and then well we posted it on social media.
Speaker 5: There was the social media clip Brady giving his opinions on it, and people started weighing in on it, and one of the persons was TJ. Houch Manzada, who I work with on the weekends for Up on Game.
Speaker 6: And here's the thing is, there's no disrespect that comes with it. I think oftentimes on social media that's the problem is we don't have the opportunity to talk to people face to face. It all that, But when you kind of go, I don't have a dog in the fight, but you went away and it's like, well want to set this one out then right, It's like the what's the point of weig in.
Speaker 3: If you don't have a dog in the fight.
Speaker 6: And my whole thing with with this entire scenario is a look at how much.
Speaker 3: Traction it's gotten. This isn't like my words or anything.
Speaker 6: I'm just saying, that's how much this robbery is meant to two fan bases.
Speaker 3: That's how much this robbery is.
Speaker 6: Meant to college football really in sports and the history behind it and everything else. So I've said what I've said on it. I'm sure people are tired of hearing it, but you don't have to look any further.
Speaker 3: Than the last night's game.
Speaker 6: If you're a C fan of just disappointment and who your head coaches and his lack of being able to deliver. But Gil given credit for playing the game. Their raim's not playing a ball game. They opted out. So you can only say so much as a Notre Dame fan in that sense. But I would just generally say this the reaction the traction. In a way, it's kind of carried the bull season conversation up until these you know, quarterfinal games now. But that's how much the robberies meant, and that's how much it's meant to college football. So it kind of goes to show you like, even people who don't have a dog in the fight necessarily want to weigh in on it because it's that big of a subject.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Sure, but it is bullseason, and I thought last night was really the first.
Speaker 2: I mean, we've had some bowl games. I mean, the star of the show's been the Hawaii You guys both know that. I mean that goes unsaid.
Speaker 1: But last night we got Illinois, Brett Beelama getting it done. That's a nine win Illinois team. They went on a field goal. Then you get to the TCU USC game which goes into overtime just you know, piss poor tackling towards the end results in a touchdown. It just felt like all of that was the prelude to the college football Playoff, which kicks off later on tonight.
Speaker 2: Between Miami and Ohio State.
Speaker 1: So it does feel like we're officially here. It is bowl season, and we are off and running here getting ready for this college football playoff.
Speaker 2: There you guard it up, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 6: As just say, I don't know how you look at bowl seas up to this point, but I think one of the things that we always hear throughout the course of the year is which conference is the top of college football? And with as many teams that are always ranked in the top twenty five and as many teams that make the playoff, I think there's what five from the SEC this year. It always feels like the SEC does the better job of marketing their conference and putting out this idea that they're better than the rest. And at this current moment, the SEC's two and five in bowl games the Big Ten six and one, their only loss being Southern Cal last night.
Speaker 3: Shocking.
Speaker 6: But this is a trend, by the way that has been the case over the last five years, with the exception of one year the Big Ten has been better than the SEC in the postseason.
Speaker 3: This is an opinion, this is factual.
Speaker 6: Go back to last year, the SEC was eight and seven in bowl games and this includes the playoffs. Big ten was eleven and six. Twenty twenty three SEC was five and four, little tighter Big ten was six and four. The only year the SEC in the last five years has been better than the Big Ten was twenty twenty two and they went seven and five in bowl games. The year before that SEC was six and eight. Big ten was six and four. I mean, so you can clearly see by just the number of teams they are getting in between the two conferences that the SEC is viewed and looked at as the better conference. But there's also the element of how they've scheduled through those years, Like next year is gonna be the first year they have nine conference again, it's only played eight usually, so if you think about to get boils, if you have to win six games, they've got four games, which we all know how the SEC schedules in October November with some of those FCS cupcakes and then a couple other lighter games directional schools to get into their actual conference schedule. I mean, so if you really think about, like up to this point and every single year, I feel like we do this. We look at the difference conference in college football, say well, what's the top conference?
Speaker 3: Who's the best?
Speaker 6: Well, we won't always get the chance to play each other. You do win bowl season, and the Big Ten has been better than the SEC.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think the SEC might win the national this year. But with that being said, it's factual information. It has been the Big Ten that's doing better in the bowl games. Not my words, your words, and and listen, I love the you know, the competition of it all, the almost like the rivalry of it all that's being created between the Big Ten and the SEC. But it plays out, it plays out, and in these games that are are upcoming, and yeah, I'm I'm super excited to be able to watch them, uh in the friendly confines of my crib. I got all my kids here like for the first time and like I don't know, like forever, like two years or so. So yeah, I'm excited to see the games. Man, I'll probably watch them with a with a other host of cool people that that come through to bring the new year in. But yeah, man, I think, uh, I think when you you look at it, where where we are right now, this is as exciting a moment in college football as as it. I mean to me. Now, I don't know that this is factual. This is obviously opinion, but I think the build up is because it seems like it took forever for us to get here, like get the game last night, it was like, yeah, I've just watched the game so far outside of the first round of the playoffs, and they, you know, outside of like what maybe one game, they were kind of as expected, went to kind of the way that that you would have hoped it did it, but you knew it would, and so you know, now now we get down to business. Now, we get down to the nitty gritty. And I feel like with what Nils created because I'm not just looking at these teams anymore as Okay, you're coming in, you're playing the game. I'm looking at how strong is your dollar? This is like stock market game too. This isn't just okay, how well did you recruit and how well are you coaching? This is how far is your dollar stretching? And that's interesting because that's a new wrinkle on on how I'm watching college football. So you're looking at the big spenders, like what I mean, are they going on with the big spenders won last year? Right? Big bank take little Bank? They made a song about you know, well.
Speaker 6: I think to that point, like Texas Tech is the one that's rumored to be the biggest spender this year.
Speaker 3: Cody Campbell.
Speaker 6: They're billionaire who's kind of come to the rescue of Texas Tech Sports, and he's been very outspoken about where where the state of the game is at and has talked about the things he would do to change it to make it better to a more professionalized model. But that's neither here nor there. The point is he's put in so much money that I feel like when you look at, for example, Kenny Dillingham, who decided to stay at Arizona State, what was one of the first things he talked about, you know, some rich alum stroking a twenty million dollar check because he's looking within this conference and saying, we don't have a Cody Campbell at Arizona State, and we can't compete if we don't have that. Give him to certain rules were that all teams are playing under, and that is you've got your rev share that's.
Speaker 3: Coming from the TV distribution rights. But that's not enough.
Speaker 6: As long as the NCAA allows for collectives to exist, there's always going to be imbalances. And that's where you kind of find yourself. Where a Texas Tech team, who I think the high watermark for Joey Maguire their head coach during his tenures was eight wins until Cody Campbell invested in this roster completely revamped their defensive front. You're going to see that tomorrow versus Oregon. Romelo Heights is a stud off the end. David Bailey, he was the most expensive edge rusher and the porter out of Stanford and even the interior.
Speaker 3: Players are really good.
Speaker 6: But that investment has led to them now winning the Big twelve and getting a buy and now, you know, being the number four team in the country with a chance to legitimately compete for a national championship. Ohio State the year before it was that, the year before that, it was Michigan. You know, those were all the teams to be rumored to be having the most only the biggest spend. And so to your point, LeVar like, we'll see if it plays out where you know, they indeed do end up winning it all. And we're gonna see every single program set we want to win one.
Speaker 5: Well you can buy you to put the money into it.
Speaker 3: You gotta put the money up.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Yeah, And I'm okay with it. If that's what it is. That's what it is. So let's let's let's have it, you know, let's let's let's see, let's see where it goes. I mean, I'm interested because Ohio State, like you said, everybody's gotten it, so let's see if it happens this year, it's Texas Tech to take and see.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and I think if we're being honest with ourselves, like going back to the conversations about the SEC and Big Ten, like two of the SEC's wins are in the playoff, actually the only two wins, one in which they played it themselves Alabama versus Oklahoma.
Speaker 3: And the other one was a layup in Old miss playing Tulane.
Speaker 6: So when you look at even the success that the SEC has had so far, it's really just been the amount of teams that have gotten in the playoff, which is a four of them to be talked about at this point, well who could, But.
Speaker 2: I mean who controls the which SEC teams.
Speaker 6: Getting to the point oh ESPN and the whole playoff, But the general point is the illusion that we even need to have a debate between the SEC and Big ten. Like if you really look at it, Ohio State, Oregon, Georgia, Bama, Like those four teams are consistently in it. I don't know that you can say any other program is as consistently in as those four. And it's kind of those four really competing for at least in recent history since the expansion playoff And what are the all for of those schools have They have deep pockets, they have money and and they're spending it on their rosters. You know, you won't find one that's more expensive than Ohio State, Oregon. You know, we talked about text tech this year that hasn't been the past, And we'll see if it plays out in the playoffs. But if I had my bet, I bet one of those four teams wins the national Championship from seeing them up close, you know, and you know in person, all four of.
Speaker 3: Those teams look different.
Speaker 6: They've got the size that up, the speed, and they've got you know, everything that they kind of need to put together as far as their you know, staffs that they've gotten in the support system.
Speaker 3: You know, one of those four teams is probably gonna win it all this year.
Speaker 1: And then we get the rematch of you know, the two thousand and three Classic between Miami and Ohio State, which gets the College Football Playoff kicked off later on tonight at seven thirty Eastern time, And I know that people look at just sort of this whole landscape of things and they're like, well, you know, these these are.
Speaker 2: The bowl games and it's the playoff.
Speaker 1: I do think Dan Lanning's point about the fact that Texas Tech should have a home game, but they don't have a home game. I don't know how you if this is a product of when you get sixteen teams in, you're gonna get you know, a bye week advantage into a home game. But it just feels like this is where we are. There's still some things they've got to iron out with the whole College Football Playoff. It's going to look different like it did from last year to this year and then this year probably the next year. But it does feel like those teams yet again, Yeah, you get that bye week, but the fact that you're playing on a neutral site, even you're an opposing coach is defending the team who's the higher ranked team, and says listen man, they should this game should be played in loveck Like the fact that we're not there doesn't make a lot of sense.
Speaker 6: As an Orange Bowl committee member, I am very I feel very disrespected by those colleges from Deadlands. I'm not taking that very well. So I hate to hear that, but I understand the desire for it. I mean, they obviously hosted a home playoff game versus James Madison, so he knows.
Speaker 3: What that's like.
Speaker 6: And it's unfortunate for Texas Tech that, you know, they don't get to experience that. Even though they get to buy and they get the additional moneies that come with that and then to go to the next round, they don't get to feel what that feels like. And I think if you look at where this sport is at, where it's creeping slowly towards a professional model, we already have a model that's in the NFL level that I think everyone likes the playoff format and likes the fact.
Speaker 3: That you do get home field advantage top seeded team. You do get home field advantage if you win your division. There's elements to all of that. The hard part is we've.
Speaker 6: Got a committee that's going to be deciding that, so there's always going to be some subjectivity to it.
Speaker 3: There's going to be people who are.
Speaker 6: Frustrated with the process of how they go about picking those games in which teams make it, which teams don't.
Speaker 3: We're just not quite to that format.
Speaker 6: But I don't disagree that if you really take a step back, look at any tournament format where there's sudden death and you only play one game, it doesn't play to the advantage of those teams that play the best in the regular season.
Speaker 3: I mean, look at college basketball.
Speaker 6: You don't get home core advantage in the tournament, and outside of the opening round, that's all you get, and then you're playing on these neutral site games. So I understand the point he's making, but I also don't feel like we're at a spot right now in college football to be able to make the changes necessary to get to the point where we've got sixteen teams playing in it and we can start having more of those home playoff games.
Speaker 3: And we don't feel like teams don't deserve it buy.
Speaker 6: I don't even know, do you guys feel like a team deserves a buy based on what they've done in the regular season so far.
Speaker 5: I could see why they would structure it that way. It just just because of the amount of teams. But I think, you know, the playoffs are the playoffs. If you make it into the playoffs, let's play. You know. I get it, though, if you play well enough and you're highly ranked, and you're rated based off of the numbers, I would say I don't have a problem with a bye week. I really don't, you know, but that could work to your advantage, but it could also work to your disadvantage. I mean, obviously, the clear and easy is you get healthy, you have time to prepare. You can prepare for both teams, even though you don't know which one you're going to play. I think there is an advantage to having a bye week, but I don't know that for certain. I don't know that you have this distinct advantage going into it, just because of the amount of time you have off versus the time that the other team had off.
Speaker 1: I also think that there's in college football, there's your condition to complain.
Speaker 2: It just is what it is like.
Speaker 1: No matter what, people are just gonna have a bitch about something.
Speaker 2: And if you really want to go through the.
Speaker 1: List of playoff formats and other sports, I mean, look look at the NFL.
Speaker 2: We talked about it a lot last year.
Speaker 1: The fact that the an NFC South team, whoever wins the NFC South is going to host a playoff game is absurd over a team, and it happened a couple of times last year the NBA playoffs.
Speaker 2: We don't need seven game series to open up every round.
Speaker 1: Like every playoff format has flaws, but in college football, everybody harps on what there is and as opposed to, dude, we've got a playoff like this is the this is the best you could possibly get. You're no longer having it voted on, you're not having split champions, you're not having just four teams in.
Speaker 2: You've got teams in.
Speaker 1: You gave opportunities to the little guys, didn't go well for them. But now we're here, and now you've got name brands, and I think I think that's why I would rather watch and enjoy what we've got, knowing it's going to change. Last year just like it did this past year. It's flawed, but so is every other playoff format in sports. You can find something wrong with anything if you wanted to.
Speaker 3: That's true.
Speaker 6: I do think it's funny that after one year we were like up in arms of how it god that we could wait for like two or three years to play out of this twelve team playoff format. So we have to keep tweaking it constantly, which we'll see where it ends up going. I mean, I think sixteen sounds like a good number. I hope it gets to that number, and that way we can avoid kind of the buys and also just the lag in between. But I do think if you get to sixteen and you're talking about having more first round games, you are going to have to change up the college football schedule a bit in regards to when it starts and when these first round playoff games start, adding a couple more in there. But also just I think it takes away from the bowl season. And I've said this before. As much as we want to keep looking at the ball season as a reward for players, it's just not how it works anymore. Look how many players were sitting out for Illinois, you know, versus Tennessee and Tennessee for that matter. You know, look at the situation that SE's in Danton Lynz already at Penn State.
Speaker 3: He's not coaching their defense, and.
Speaker 6: It's their defense that ends up getting their backs broken on a third and twenty in overtime. And now granted that's more technique and fundamentals, not tackling, but still, you know, you look at how that game ends, and it's defensively the struggles in and they had a number of players who opted out too. So I just I look at that portion of it, and I wonder the impact of having sixteen teams, and if we do start playing these games a little bit sooner, how it would impact the rest of the bowl season. If those shouldn't be just moved to the front of the season for neutral site non conference games in general, I think they would survive and probably last a lot longer if that was the case.
Speaker 5: I was about to say, I hate to do it because I know you're on a committee, but I think this college Playoff as it continues to evolve, is the death of bowls. D I really do outside of the bowls that exists within the playoff, which is I don't how long will that last? You know, how long will the bowl games that represent the playoff? How long will it be the Rose.
Speaker 1: Bowl or the Cotton Bowl or what he got against the Tony the Tiger Sun Bull's wrong.
Speaker 5: I don't have anything, but I think what Q said is correct. And here's what you got to think about. You know, I know we had the big conversation about Notre Dame opting out of playing the game altogether. But if I have Penn State had, I believe fifteen or so guys and most all of those guys who opted out are preparing for the combine in the NFL draft. Now how many will get drafted, I don't know. But you're talking about basically the nucleus of your team. And while I'm okay with saying, you know, go play it. Let the younger guys get an opportunity to play. For one, I don't look at those as legitimate victories for one or legitimate losses for two. It's not as interesting. It's just not it's not as interesting. It seems very very I don't know, it just seems like it's an exhibition, which obviously that is what you know, what bowl games are. But it just doesn't have the same type of emotional connection to it. Like if you're watching the Orange Bowl, you knew what it was. If you knew you know, if you were watching the Rose Bowl, you knew that it was going to be the pack versus the Big Ten. You just knew what that you were going to get a pretty interesting matchup within those bowl games. And now you got to ask yourself is it worth it as a school? Is it worth it financially to do a bowl game? And if it's not one of those big, high end bowl games, is it worth it to do a bowl game? Because it's going to cost to go do it. You got to for hotel rooms, you gotta you gotta pay for transportation, you got to do all of these that you got to pay for food, you got to do all these things that bring cost and expenses to you to your university. How much is that as offset by the amount you're going to receive going to the bowl game.
Speaker 1: So the people that are putting the ball game on aren't taking care of your travel and your your food and all that stuff.
Speaker 5: That's all what I'm telling you is within the expenses of what it takes to do those games. They're paying. You're getting paid your money, but how much overhead is there that's going to eat into that money? And why would you why would you do the game? Why would you do the game if you know you don't have ten fifteen of your players that play. It's like you take all of those combinations and you put them together. I just don't why would you want to do it? Yeah? Yeah, you know what, Notre day might have opened up Pandora's box. Man. I did a lot of teams that come out and be like, man, like, oh, Notre Dame had a great they had a great thought on that, like if we don't make it into the playoff, like, let's just get ready for next year.
Speaker 6: But here's here's the unique scenario for Notre Dame for that. I mean, I've said this before and back in two thousand and four when we went six and five ty we Longham got fired. You know a lot of the conversation from our upperclassmen back then was hey, if it's not a BCS or playing for the national championship, obviously.
Speaker 3: Like we don't go.
Speaker 6: And I and a lot of the younger guys were like, hey, you know, we got a young group we want to keep trying to practice. We want to keep doing this. That was our argument, and we took a team vote. Dude, we were sixty forty. And what I quickly realized when we got out there was even though we had an amazing time in Scottsdale, Arizona, like I love that place.
Speaker 3: I think it's so much fun, it was a lot of fun, and it wasn't.
Speaker 6: There was not a lot of seriousness taken to the approach for the game.
Speaker 3: And that was by the players and coach and coaches.
Speaker 6: Because the coaches were looking for new new jobs and players were having fun at night. You know, you get those boys outside of South Bend, Indiana, man, things things get wild. Sommers I would I would say this. You know, I'm not for opting out of bowl games. I think each team has to make their own individual decision. But for Notre Dame, it's unique because that's all you're playing for every year. You don't have a conference championship, you know, you don't have those things that are set for years, goals.
Speaker 3: You know, now, let's get to the playoff and go win a national championship.
Speaker 6: So when that's not there for you anymore, there's obviously other things to consider, and I think.
Speaker 5: Don't you think other teams would look at it that way? Like if we didn't, Yes, I don't. I don't want to like this is a nice.
Speaker 6: Season, and I think they have That's why, you know, Iowa State, there's others that opted out, and I granted some of those schools had, you know, head coaching changes and things that played a role in that. And that's kind of again where I kind of can relate to that. But that's why each like we shouldn't walk down on upon the team or players for making that decision, you know, because that became a big talking piece for a lot of people when I think each team's got.
Speaker 3: Their own reason for what they're doing and why they're doing it.
Speaker 6: But to your point, I do think the rest of these Bowl games need to start thinking creativity, you know, creatively about where can we where can we exist? You know in the future. I think the New Year six are fine. It's just going to be the rest that aren't a part of the college wall play up. They have to figure out a place to live, Yeah the dumpster?
Speaker 2: Can we.
Speaker 4: Else?
Speaker 1: Can we continue this conversation because I do I do think there's more to it on the backside of this here as we are LeVar Arrington, Brady, Quinn.
Speaker 2: Jonas's backside, Maybe damn.
Speaker 5: Right that red light red light the baby getting healed.
Speaker 3: Upste for sure.
Speaker 1: By the way, the Hottest Rookie's biggest superstars in all time grades. The only place to collect them all Panini Trading Cards the official trading cards of the Dan Patrick Show for instant classics, autograph cards, memorabilia cards, rare in and more. Start or continue your collection out Paniniamerica dot net. So it is lebar Rington, Brady, Quinnjonas Knox in for Dan and the guys. We are going to have something we do on our show Monday through Friday called in case you missed it. Later on this hour, we're going to hand out some awards in our two of the program. We've also got Quinn's wins for the college football playoff. The Great Petros Papadakas is going to stop by. All of it is yours here on this three hour extravaganza the final day of twenty twenty five. But up next we are going to have a conversation about something that might hurt some feelings in the world of football.
Speaker 2: But it is what it is and it's yours right here on FSR.
Speaker 1: Well, let's talk about our friends at ty Iraq, because you know what tires matter. They're the only part of your vehicle that touches the road. They're responsible for everything acceleration, breaking, steering and handling. Tread confidently with new tires from ti Iraq. Whether you know exactly what you want or you're looking for expert recommendations, Tiraq makes it easy. You're going to get fast, free shipping, free road, has a protection and convenient installation options, including mobile installation where they bring the installation to you to your home, office or anywhere in between. And of course the best selection, including the full line of Bridgestone tires. And they don't just sell tires, they test them on the road and on their test track. Learn how the tires you want tackle the base of maneuvers, drive and stop in the rain, or just handle your everyday commute. Go to ti rack dot com slash dan to see their Bridgestone test results, tire ratings and consumer reviews, and be sure to check out all the current special offers. That's tire rack dot com slash dan tire rack dot com the way tire buying should be.
Speaker 4: Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at foxsports Radio dot com and within the iHeartRadio app. Search FSR to listen live. Pallly Foods go here with Tony Foods.
Speaker 2: Go Yeah. As everybody knows, we're the hosts of the award winning Polly and Tony Foods Coach Shop.
Speaker 6: But instead of us telling you how great we are, here's how Dan Patrick described us when he came on.
Speaker 4: Our show, Quick, knowledgeable and funny, opinionated.
Speaker 2: You doing wedrupting our promo?
Speaker 4: Yeah, you wasn't talking about you.
Speaker 3: You took those clips totally of context.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, well after this promo, I'm gonna take you out and beat you.
Speaker 2: Let me put this into context.
Speaker 5: Shut up.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Anyway, just listening to the Pauly and Tony Fusco Show on iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: Apple podcasts oherever you get your podcasts.
Speaker 5: Yea, I looked funny, but yo, I'm making money. Set up stiph you're ready for me, So gather the round. Jonas is the new kid in town and it sounds laid down by the underground. My name is cute, so let me introduce myself pronounce with the umpty.
Speaker 2: It is two pros and a cup of Joe.
Speaker 1: Filling in for the Dan Patrick Show here on Fox Sports Radio, LaVar Arrington, Brady Quinn, Jonas Knox with you. We are going to have another edition of in case you missed. It's something we do on our Mind day through Friday show coming up here in about twelve minutes from now. But right now it is time for the tire rack Play of the Day.
Speaker 6: Seals Bumps it left pain ricks one tackle in two and Dodds forward Fillers Street.
Speaker 3: Now the left tuch.
Speaker 6: Fid to the ten to the five Yet Babs, let's.
Speaker 7: See signals touchdown.
Speaker 4: Keen seals that's a deal here tonight and the horn Frogs have fouled the magic against.
Speaker 2: USC one four time.
Speaker 1: Brian Estrich from Learfield on the call that your tire rack Play of the Day. For over forty years, tire Rack's been helping customers find the right tires for how, what and where they drive. Shipped fast and freeback by free Road, has a protection with convenient installation options like mobile tire installation, tirerack dot Com, The Way Tire.
Speaker 2: Buying should be.
Speaker 1: So do you remember how when Christian McCaffrey and Leonard Fournette opted out of bowl games and it was like how could they?
Speaker 2: Like, how could you do that to your teammates? You know, how could you?
Speaker 1: They're trying to get ready for the draft, and it was just like there was all this criticism that was levy towards them. And then you know, Notre Dame opts out of wanting to play in a bowl game and they got all sorts of heat about it.
Speaker 2: What you're too good for the bull Yes?
Speaker 1: Yes, as a matter of fact, yeah, believe it or not, there are certain people in college sports that are better than others like that that it is I don't want to say beneath them, but yeah, they can get to places and get to where they want to go and not need everything that comes along with every other program or every other player in the sport. And I don't think that you look at And what reminds me of this is years ago, do kind of really down year and they decided to not partake in the NIT and they got a lot of heat for it, and it was like, well, what you're too good for the n IT?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 1: Yeah, as a matter of fact, we have options, and I feel like there's sort of a bitterness towards players and pro who have options who are bigger than some of these other things that are thrown on their lap and other things that.
Speaker 2: Are out there in the world of college sports.
Speaker 1: And I don't know if you guys see that as well too, but I definitely see it. And I've never had an issue with a player or a team deciding what they want us to do is not in our best interest, despite whether or not anybody likes.
Speaker 3: It or not.
Speaker 5: I think that's what's a good point. Yeah, I would just say I would say, for me, I didn't opt out. And so there's personal personal assessments and then there's sensible assessments. The sensible side of me says, it's your choice. You know, if you're at the point in your career where you're about to go to the pros, I mean, you think of who is the young man that was dope linebacker for the Notre Dame Jialn Smith plays and he plays in the game, and Jackson's lag up or mcgahey jack is lag up, and those are extreme those are extreme cases. But I mean, do you want to risk being one of the extreme cases that could alter what your future is. So I look at it from that perspective and say, if somebody wants to, you know, say listen, I'm going to prepare for the next level. For what it's worth, our regular season is finished, this is the bowl season. I'm going to opt out. Like I get that.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 5: It's a little harder to make that determination with the playoffs because you still have a chance to win the national title, and that would to me not mean that your season is over. But if it's just a regular bowl game, you know, if it is the n i T Tournament and you are a classic blue blood team that generally plays in the regular tournament, I don't I don't see there being an issue with it. But I do. I do think it's cool. Like Deny, you know, Dennis Deny Sutton. You know, he he played and he bawled and probably butchered his name. I might have messed it up because I got used to calling his name different, But anyway, he balled out, balled out for Penn State because I called him Deny. That's all I call him. But behind did you try to put them all together? Sometimes I put him in the wrong order. But anyway, you know, but Zaye Durant opted out, you know, Zachi Wheatley, he opted out, And I don't feel any differently about them than I do with Dennis playing in the game. So I just think it's a personal deal. Don't get to, like you said, caught up personally into it.
Speaker 6: Yeah, look to that point, there's individual decisions. I think there's teams decisions too. What's interesting to me about this where we're venturing to in college football because you point out that about Duke, and I think that's always kind of existed to for some of the bigger programs that if they do have that down year, if.
Speaker 3: They don't go to the n I T. You know, it's kind of you to so be it.
Speaker 6: Like the transfer portal has changed a lot of that because your roster turnover is so signif eficant. And I think if you look at it from a football perspective nowadays, I mean, if you're not a part of the college football playoff, you're probably going to be losing a good amount of players either to the portal, to their eligibility being up, which maybe is in question nowadays, or you know, to go into the NFL. And if that's the case, you know, are you really putting your brand, your program the best foot forward when you go out and play some of these bowl games.
Speaker 3: Probably not right.
Speaker 6: I mean, like, do Tennessee losing the Illinois do anything to help their program or the perception of the SEC.
Speaker 3: Absolutely not.
Speaker 6: And again I'm not saying that they shouldn't go out there and play because it's another opportunity to go out there and play football. It's the greatest game of the world in my opinion, but we also act like this isn't a business and just talking from the NNIL side and how agents talk to these kids, Now, that's how it's structured. Like you play your regular season, if you play for a national championship, every single agent that's representing these kids are going to tell you to go out there and play. Now, they might be trying to leverage what you're getting paid, get paid more if you're a team that's part of the playoff.
Speaker 3: We heard about that.
Speaker 6: Story last year with nigo Ia Malaiava and Tennessee before they played Ohio State, they were trying to redo the contract get paid more. So that sort of stuff is going on. But when you really peeled all back. You know, it doesn't sometimes make as much sense for some of those brands and those schools, you know, but again it's their own individual choice. I don't have a problem with a guy sitting out or even a team at this point only because if they're going to have a lot of moving parts with all of it, then why not focus on what is to be that next season and everyone, especially for teams that have guys coming back. I mean, let's say, for example, last night Jade Mayava got hurt, I was going to impact his ability to start the following year. Does that make that game worth it for SC especially in hindsight losing the way you did.
Speaker 3: Probably not.
Speaker 6: And so I just that whole question of these exhibition games, these additional Bowl games, than their existence, like it's gonna come to.
Speaker 2: The forefront here soon. Yeah, it's kind of a I don't know.
Speaker 1: I look at it and I go, there's a lot of people speaking on behalf of choices being made that have nothing to do with them. I literally have nothing to do with them, does not impact them, does not benefit them. Like you mentioned, Jalen smith Man, remember Jake Butt. Jake Butt was thought to be like a really top prospect.
Speaker 2: In the NFL tight end. He got it. He got his leg ripped up in a bowl game.
Speaker 1: Like it's just like, so you want them to just risk it so that you could, you know, seeing what dump cheese. It's on their head like everybody else is doing it. Why can't you do it? Okay, Well, I don't know because I've got to fifty.
Speaker 3: That's the reality.
Speaker 6: And if you really peel back that, the business model is most of these ball games, these exhibition ball games, are owned by ESPN.
Speaker 3: If there was forty of them, about half. I think they sold off some of them.
Speaker 6: Then some are obviously owned by others, but when you really look at it, most of them are owned by ESPN, so it's kind of their own creation. It's part of their business model for this time of year because the ratings for these bull games are typically higher.
Speaker 3: Than many of these teams usually you.
Speaker 6: Know face like I guarantee you Coastal Carolina and Louis Gonna Tech yesterday probably rated higher than any of their other games this season because it was on in a spot where it was a standalone nothing's up against him, and people are dying for some sort of sports. There's gambos who want to bet. So that's all part of you know, their model to make money off it. So there's no one gets more upset about it than ESPN when a team opts out there not part of their you know, postseason business model. But does it make sense for anyone else you know that that's involved in the process, the coaches, the players, maybe not. I mean again, like this is not a part of them getting paid additionally, And that's a conversation we have.
Speaker 3: To start having that.
Speaker 5: That's the big conversation, you.
Speaker 6: Know, like like we're not getting like bowl game bonuses for these players if they get in the playoff. Maybe is structured in there, but like we're not to that point yet. We don't have a CBA for the players. There's not a union that's you know, collected collectively bargaining against whatever power structure is created.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it is two pros and a cup of Joe.
Speaker 1: Filling in for the Dan Patrick Show here on Fox Sports Radio, LaVar Arrington, Brady Quinn, Jonas Knox and you will be taking you all the way up until noon Eastern time, nine o'clock Pacific up next though. It's a little something we do on our weekday morning show. It's called in Case You missed It, and it's yours right here on FSR.
Speaker 4: Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at foxsports Radio dot com and within the iHeartRadio app. Search FSR to listen live.
Speaker 1: It's a Dan Patrick show here on Fox Sports Radio. LeVar Arrington, Brady Quinn, Jonas Knox filling in for Dan and the guys. Coming up top of next hour a little over ten minutes from now. Real problem in the world of sports, and somebody has voiced their opinion on it. We will hear from them again coming up here a little over ten minutes from now. But right now it is time for something we do on our show Monday through Friday.
Speaker 2: It's another edition of this.
Speaker 4: Ye sometimes you can't get to everything in the world of sports or entertainment. Good thing. The guys are here to bring you in case you missed it.
Speaker 1: For that, we turn it over to our executive producer, the one and only Patrick Sweek Patty.
Speaker 8: Spore will be frona cowboy.
Speaker 7: Everybody, Oh my god, well it's not Frian Casey missed it boys, And here's a good one for y'all. The twenty twenty six Pro Football Hall of Fame have announced their finalists, and let's go with the you know at the top of the chart.
Speaker 2: Here, Drew Brees is in this, Larry.
Speaker 7: Fitz, Frank Gore, maybe maybe Tory Holt, Luke Keikley. Shout out to the linebackers, Willie Anderson, Jare Evans Eli is on there again, Terrell Suggs, vinetary ad invententary for those Reggie Wayne, Kevin Williams, Jason Witten, Darren Woodson.
Speaker 2: And Marshall yonder Man.
Speaker 3: I mean, all those dudes will probably get in. I don't know how many get in this time.
Speaker 2: There's five, right, yeah.
Speaker 5: So I get I get hit up by a couple of voters and they give me the list. I'll tell you, I'm looking for the messages. I'll tell you who I gave them, who I gave them. Darren Woodson. I think it's long overdue for Darren Woodson to get in. I think it's way long overdue for Tory Holt to get in. I think it's way long overdue for Willy Anderson to get in. And I think Luke Keigley and Frank Borer should get in Wow, those are my five over Breeze, I think. I mean, I get it, I get it.
Speaker 3: It's the first ballot Hall of Favor.
Speaker 5: It won't it won't be over Breeze. But if you're asking me the five, if if I had to replace one, I'd say probably Luke with with Drew Brees. But I gotta put the line.
Speaker 2: I would say, Frank Laura, if you're going to replace one of those, I would.
Speaker 5: Say, his body of work is too. It's so great though, I.
Speaker 2: Think you should get into But if you're only picking five.
Speaker 5: Yeah, but his body of work, like who's done with Frank Gore has done.
Speaker 3: Quarterback, I think he's got a better that's fair.
Speaker 5: That's fair too. Yeah, that is fair. That is fair. I mean you're listen. If it's Frank Gordon has to go as I mean that that was my five, guys. That that was That's what I gave you.
Speaker 3: That's I said my five.
Speaker 5: I didn't say. I didn't say it was factually back.
Speaker 3: That's what you didn't say five? Either said it was your five?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 1: How come they don't they don't reach out to me to get my five? Yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 6: I don't know what I think Keiley has to get in. Was he an All Pro for like four five? I mean he defensive player of there, defensive rookie. Ye, he's got all the accolades. I know it was, you know it wasn't long. But I don't think he was ever worse than an eight, like a second team All.
Speaker 3: Pro five time All Pro.
Speaker 6: Well, first team, he was a second team for like the rest of them.
Speaker 5: If your first team All Pro one time, you've done well in your life, You've done well in your life. That's how hard it is to become a first team All Pro. That's elusive.
Speaker 7: Man.
Speaker 6: I'd say there's other definitions for doing well in life, but yes, that is.
Speaker 5: You don't know that. I mean, okay, miss Notre Dame, I went to Penn State. Relax, Relax, I'm educated.
Speaker 2: To Hannon.
Speaker 5: A whole. Let's take a break. Let's take a