Speaker 1: Welcome back to Unplugged. On today's episode, will be joining my brother Stack five and my brother Kean Dueling. But before we get to them, I want to talk a little bit about these new NBA owners. I'm gonna start with Patrick DeMont, the owner of the Dallas Mavericks, who a couple of weeks ago made one of the biggest trades in NBA history. You can agree or disagree whether it's a good trade bad trade for any team, and this by no means is demeaning any either player in the situation. But what I had a hard time with was him trying to kick Luca on the way out, disrespecting him every step of the way. And this is a guy, from everything we research, has no history in sports, and particularly no history in basketball. This guy married into money and was gifted this position. We've all known and loved Dallas for a long time. Obviously, Mark Cuban's going to go down as one of the greatest owners in history. It's always been a destination and always been one of the best ran organizations, not just in the NBA but in professional sports history. But of late, it almost seems like things have been crumbling. You know, over two thousand Dallas Map subscribers have dropped their subscription. Uh, there's been protests at the arena. They've bought graves to the arena, you know, fans of you know said there there issues with the trade. Jason Kidd didn't speak to the media after the first game.
Speaker 2: With a d.
Speaker 1: It's just kind of been a mess. Fans were thrown out of the games for bringing posters that were I guess jeopardizing or disrespectful towards management. And it seems like once an organization that was once highly touted and and and looked at as one of the strongest and best organizations is slowly crumbling in front of us. When Patrick DeMont talked to the Dallas media, he said that Luca just really doesn't fit the shape almost of the greats before him, the Jordan's, the Birds, the Shacks, the Kobe's. Spoke on his work ethic and him kind of being a lazy player and all kinds of again, just disrespectful things you normally don't hear from an owner. But does this surprise you? This kind of reminds me of the guy sitting in the Oval office right now, always disrespecting, always kind of take low shots at people. But to no surprise, this leadership of the Dallas Mavericks donated one hundred million to Trump. So maybe they took a page out of his book on the disrespectful tip. Now, I'm not saying that Luca doesn't have a lot to work on when it comes to the way he carries himself towards the refs, his lack of effort, his complaining, and just his energy overall. But let's not forget this guy is twenty five years old. This guy is taking his team to the NBA finals last year. Took him to the Western Conference Finals two years ago and dropped seventy three points, which is the fourth highest total in the history of the league and second highest in this era, right behind Kobe's eighty one. The owner has an issue with, again, just the way Luca carries himself. I always thought this bit, this situation was above Nico. I always thought this had to be coming from the top. We all know this. This new ownership tried to come in and do the whole casino thing and it just didn't pan out. Then they tried to make a jump to Vegas and that didn't pan out. So when their pan was empty and they made a bad trade. Now all they can do is try to talk shit about Luca. But we've all seen Luca and again he does is he has some flaws. I think every player has some flaws. He has some things he needs to work on, absolutely, But it tried to demean and disrespect one of the greatest players in the game and arguably someone who will go down as one of the greatest players in history. I just think it was very poor taste. Also, the Mark Cuban angle is interesting because when he sold the team, we all caught word that he'll still be in on basketball decisions. Maybe that was a promise given by new ownership that they didn't follow through with. But when Cuban heard about this, he tried everything he could to stop it, but it was too late. Luca is loved and be loved in the city of Dallas, in a state that's known for the Cowboys. The biggest star was a twenty five year old Stlovenian kid that has come over here and taken the league by storm so much that in Luca's debut game Lakers versus the Jazz, guess who was sitting in the crowd to show his support the one and only legendary Dirk Nowitzki. Mister Deumont, take a step back, take a seat. You know nothing about hard work or what it takes to be great. You married into money. Sit with this trade that you made. Hopefully Anthony Davis gets healthy and I wish Dallas Mavericks the best moving forward. But shut the fuck up, man. We all know how good Luca is. We don't give a fuck what you have to say. Just sit back and be an owner. And now to dive a little bit deeper into this conversation, I want to welcome my brother Stephen. You listen, s Jesse Jackson and keon the beak doing.
Speaker 3: That's what we're doing today. That's what we are.
Speaker 2: Hey.
Speaker 1: Obviously all three of us are are are very big on respect. And Jack I'll start with you. What kind of presidents does this start? You know, as a new owner there doesn't really know shit about basketball, you know, kicking Luca on the way out. What are your thoughts when you hear that? Will that deter other stars to wanting to actually go to Dallas?
Speaker 2: Well?
Speaker 4: I mean yeah, and no, I mean it's it's kind of similar, you know with how Pat Roley hand to handle Jim in situation.
Speaker 2: You know what I mean, people don't want to.
Speaker 4: I might want to go deal with Miami because I handle Jim, and that's kind of the same with Dallas. But I look at it different. You know, we all on the outside looking in at one. Let's get that understood. We all on the outside looking in. But one thing we one thing we can see we can't see as players from the outside looking in, is that louis the highest paid player on that team, but he doesn't give the highest paid player effort every night.
Speaker 2: And that's no knock on him. That's just what we see, you know, it's what we see.
Speaker 4: And I think these days, especially when you got a coach like Jay Kidd who played a number of years and played a one hundred ten percent every night un team, he can't play no more, you know, I think you know that, And with a guy like Nico that Nico, Nico is cool with a lot of the dogs in the.
Speaker 2: NBA, he ain't cool, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: Everybody that got Nico got his respect from real people in basketball, from a lot of the top names and a lot of the dogs. So you know, when you got a guy like that, especially, times are changing. When you got a guy like that, You know what I'm saying, that that's possibly finish. Get three hundred and something million, and we can't depend on you to be on the call, We can't depend on you to work, We can't depend on you to lead, not just on the court, but in the weight room and practice and stuff like that. Yeah, man, I mean, I mean that will bother some people. You know what I'm saying, because it would bother me if I if I owned the team and I got to pay you three hundred million and you not leading the way you should lead. As far as what I seen from Tim Duncan, he's the first one in the weight room, the last one to lead practice. He gonna lead by example. He gonna make everybody better. That's what you spect from a guy like that. And we all know Luca's not that guy. Is he a great offensive player? He's probably the best, one of the best offensive players we've ever seen play this game, no question. But when you a guy that you asked for three hundred million, it's more as expected from you, too.
Speaker 2: Too much is given, more as much as required.
Speaker 4: And if you're gonna if you're gonna ask for three hundred men, you better go out there be the first person in practice, the last one to leave. You better be out there playing defense, dying for boss and being that player they expect you to be. But we all know Luca's not gonna be that guy. So if they're gonna give three hundred men to somebody, they want to give it to somebody like that. And then they got a chance to move Luke and get Anthony David. Somebody's gonna give way more effort. As you see, even though he had his entry kicked back in the first game, you've seen what he can do. Like, I would rather a guy like that me personally than a guy like Lucas, who's a who's a bigger worldwide star and a greater great offensive player, but not giving me everything everything I need as the star on my team.
Speaker 3: K Yeah, man, I mean I think this says precedents, right.
Speaker 5: I think there's a part of it that you know when you got new ownership, right, you know what I mean. They don't know the lay of the land, they don't know the customs, they don't know the value of guys, right, They just you know, kind of see it like you know, as a spectator somewhat, but when you're in it, you know the value of the player.
Speaker 3: I think this is bad, you know what I mean in a sense.
Speaker 5: Where max players have a driven revenue, driven ticket sales, driven fan bases, and Luca has really connected with that city in a way that had you hadn't really seen since Dirk, you know, And so I think there's a there's a part of that fan base it's hurting, right, But also on the other side, I see that.
Speaker 3: It's a business.
Speaker 5: It is a business, and ultimately the NBA wins. It's a win win for the NBA. Now Luca misses out on that Supermax.
Speaker 2: Right, you can't.
Speaker 5: He can't get that back, you know, through the CBA, through the collective bargaining, but he'll probably you know, earn it back with reputation, Jersey sales, you.
Speaker 3: Know what I mean, and brand equity out in you know, La La Land. Right.
Speaker 5: But yeah, man, this this sets a precedent, you know, for players to be more in power, right, you know, we can't. We got to have that same energy when players make a decision to go to teams that customize their situation, that fit their situation. You know, we got to have a little bit more leniency for when players make the decision, because teams are doing that now, right, We've seen some of the biggest names in basketball come up in trade rumors.
Speaker 3: This is a.
Speaker 5: Trade, an epic trade. It's an epic trade. And ultimately, I still think the game benefits, you know, having your superstars and big markets, having global superstars and big markets, having Luca and Lebron on the same team, and then having a d still right, still good enough in his prime to be an All NBA player, To have Kyrie, who's a guy who is a bona fide superstar, to have j Kidd and have that experience.
Speaker 3: They didn't throw the whole they didn't throw it all away.
Speaker 5: But it also empowers the players to be able to go out and make those decisions when free agency comes, when trade demands comes.
Speaker 3: You gotta respect it. It's got to be a two way street.
Speaker 5: We can't just have it where you know, ownerships and gms and presidents can make these decisions and then players get thrown under the bus for making those same decisions.
Speaker 2: I think I want to ask you a question after you finished too, man.
Speaker 1: No, I just think at the end of the day, the house always wins, you know, like the casino, the house always wins. The NBA won one thousand percent with Luca going to the Lakers and Jack, I don't disagree. My only knock is because we've all played that. We were all balls to the wall, you know what I mean. We went out and gave everything. And I think that's one thing that Luca, if there is a knock, that is the because you've seen him be lazy and complain and not hustle. But I think one thing that will change about that as being in in La because the magnifying glass is going to be on you every single day. Every news outlet talks about the Lakers, so you can't hide. And another thing, and this is not even to make an excuse, I don't feel like Luca outside of Dirk, and Dirk was there one year with Luca, he ain't really had no vets to kind of be in his ear. And I think him playing with Lebron, who is his favorite player, and Lebron is someone who leads spokenly but also most importantly by example, and I think that's what's gonna wake Luke up. I mean, look, Dallas has always been and we can all agree one of the best organ organizations ran in the NBA, and it almost seems like it's crumbling. I mean, viewership. What was the thing with the viewership? Yeah, mav TVs over two thousand subscriptions. They protested before a game, Jay kids not talking after the game. I mean, I think, and again, I got a lot of love for Nico. You know, I've known Nico for a long time, but I think this decision was bigger than him. I think this was ownership. Who you know, Jack, You and I sat down with Mark last year and had discussed kind of him transitioning on and Dallas becoming, you know, somewhere where there's casino and all this other stuff around the game, and it doesn't seem like that's happening. And and Mark was hurt. You know, Mark sat down and did an interview on Mark was very surprised and hurt and tried to stop the trade, but it was too late. So I just kind of look at this new ownership coming in and to your point, Katie, not knowing the lay of the land, and Jack for every reason why you said it's okay, I don't disagree with that, but at the same time, I still think he's twenty five and there's a chance to learn. If you think about this kid, had his team in the finals last year, Western Conference Finals two years ago, has the fourth highest scoring game in NBA history. You know what I mean? That says a lot. And he's only twenty five years old, so you know he's going to get better. So I just think it's going to be a very interesting time. Only time will tell, you know. I think we all agree hopefully Ad can get healthy as these teams are built with this particular trade. To me, Dallas is a better off team as long as AD can get back healthy because right now they're built to win. I think we all agree that the long run, the long term play with the Lakers was you know, Luca being able to step in those shoes of Lebron and carry the torch for another uh ten years. Jack, you said you were gonna ask me something.
Speaker 4: Yeah, with with all this noise now, with KD being upset that that his name was in trade rumors, he can ask for a trade this summer.
Speaker 2: How would you like seeing him in Dallas? Him?
Speaker 1: And that's that's another interesting thing. And Jack, that's to my they got But what who that's another young owner, you know what I mean. That's kind of coming in and obviously we're gonna discuss this later in the show. But you know, you're dangling your best player without even asking them, you know what I mean. And I think Kevin Durant uh deserves a little bit more respect thing that. But that's suddenly definitely we're going to get to Let's say, you know, last night, Luca made his debut against one of the bottom dwellers, unfortunately, the Utah Jazz, one of the worst teams in the league, UH, and just came out and got his feet wet. Twenty four minutes, fourteen points, five rebounds, four assists. The one thing I saw, and I only saw the first half because I had to go somewhere, was just you know, it's it's it's a feeling out process, you know. I think Luca doesn't want to do too much. Guys want to make sure he gets off. Guys don't want to do too much. So I just think, you know, obviously, this was a it's the first game. I know, it's it's going to get better from here. But what did you guys think of, you know, seeing that number seventy seven? And that shit was all over Stable Center too.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean you should have known that Jersey sales gonna go crazy. Every shit I want one, you know what I mean. That ain't no surprise. I think, like you said, Matty tried to fit in. But it's good what Bron said. Bron said, told him, don't fit in, fit the fuck out.
Speaker 2: And I think I think he's gonna get to that. We know what Luca can do. Man.
Speaker 4: You know, he coming back from an injury. So, like you said, he's trying to get his feet wet. But we know what to expect. We know what we're gonna see. We're just anxious to see that get that dose big, that big game he has and him and Lebron have a big game together.
Speaker 2: See how that's gonna work.
Speaker 1: Yeah, real quick before you go, KDI. I love the fact and I think we're all agreeing. So that Lebron has been trying to hand the keys off to someone. I think he has someone to hand the keys off. But Bron last night showed you don't motherfucker, don't forget about you know, I'm still him, It's.
Speaker 2: Gonna be ye, I'm still here.
Speaker 1: But I like again and this is not a knock on a d because I think over the past two or three years we've been saying Bron's been trying to hand the keys off. So I think Bron is gonna happily hand the keys off and allow Luca once he's one hundred percent healthy or is close to one hundred percent, to carry a majority of the low. But like you said, Jack, it doesn't have to be a consistent all the time Lebron. Lebron can kind of you know, kind of know it's a marathon, not a sprint. Katie, what were you saying.
Speaker 5: Yeah, No, man, I mean I think Luca's gonna be great in LA. I think they gotta get they got to surround him with the right pieces. I think, you know, believe it or not, man, I think Lebron is humble enough at this point in his life where he wants to have somebody in the drive receipt right, and he can play a different kind of way.
Speaker 3: It's hard playing when everybody's loading up on you.
Speaker 5: When you have to create, when you have to score, when you have to motivate, when you have to inspire, when you have to rebound, when you have to defend, when you have to do all these things, so Luca's gonna take the pressure off of him with that. I can't wait to see them getting to those two man games, right those picking rolls up high or those side picking rolls where they force double teams, and I think what we'll see is we'll see the game being played a different way because when you can kind of put those two in pick and rolls and create that mismatch, you'll see some more logo post ups. You'll see some more double teams in the logo post up area, and so having the right pieces around them is gonna be really important. I still think they need a lot threat. They gotta, you know.
Speaker 3: They gotta go in that bag and find, you know, a lob thread, a big body.
Speaker 5: And there's some older guys out there who are serviceable, who've actually had success with the Lakers that I think could be a good fit right now. But more so than anything, man like, I think Lebron is gonna get the potty train Luca on routine on regiment on like how big and how much this game, how much you owe to the game when you're in that spot, when you're in k.
Speaker 1: Not to interrupt, not to interrupt, but we all know, because kat you played here on the down the hallway. Playing in La is a lot different, man. So I like what you're saying about the potty training and routine and regimen. But also these Laker lights are brighter than any other motherfucking lights you'll ever get on.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and the spotlight can make some nervous. But I think Lucas built for this shit.
Speaker 1: He built that.
Speaker 3: He's been doing it since he was fourteen years old.
Speaker 5: He's done it on a high level in a lot of different scenarios and situations.
Speaker 3: But there's still room for improvement with him.
Speaker 5: He's gotta give more to the game holistically, especially on the defensive side, especially with the complaining and the and the and the pandering to the refs. He's got to get locked in more. He's gonna have to drink some hot sauce. He's gonna have to go get you know, we're gonna give ross out there, you know what I mean, You'll have to like kind.
Speaker 1: Of maybe not maybe not roscos. Let's get him some vegan shit.
Speaker 2: We got to take him to the east side, let him hang with turn by the week Ship.
Speaker 1: You know, Katie, I like the point you made about the x'es and o's, and we all know that's one of JJ's strengths. I mean, and when you think the pick and roll game, obviously Katie, you sat in the coaching chair in the NBA, you think about the pick and roll game that goes two ways. I mean that has Bronze said and picks and Lucas said and picks yea, and they're both going to be double So what's that throwback look like? And then that that's to your point, it's important building this roster around with guys that can handle those type of situations, someone that could put a raw threat on the rim off of space for shooting, and then you know slashers. But kd as you guys think if you're on this Laker staff with JJ and as things start flowing, I mean, I think it's a great problem to have. I don't even call it a problem. But you got Lebron, James, Luca, and let's not sleep on Austin Reeves, who's playing the best basketball of his career, you know what I mean. That's a great third option. And before Lucas, someone who was running the running the team in crunch time, when when Lebron didn't have the ball. So as a coach, what are you trying to communicate to your team and get across to your team to have those three particularly jail habits.
Speaker 5: You got to create the habits right, Like, you know, you gotta be serviceable in the defensive schemes, you know what I mean, Like, you really gotta get the buy in from the superstar players if it's gonna trickle down to the whole roster. And a lot of times, you know, JJ's been a part of a lot of great coaching.
Speaker 3: Uh uh, He's had a lot of great coaches.
Speaker 5: Doc Rivers saying Van Gundy coach k a lot of those guys.
Speaker 3: So you gotta get buy in.
Speaker 5: You have to get those guys to buy in and except, you know what I mean, their role and their responsibility to the team, especially on the defensive level, on the defensive end, because offensively, Luca and Lebron they're talented enough to figure things out. They're smart enough. They can pass, they can dribble, they can shoot, they can post up, they can they can do everything. And so it's the buy in really that that that's that's gonna have to happen, and that's that's what He's gonna have to look in the mirror and tell himself, Luca has got to get better on the defensive end.
Speaker 3: He's got to give himself to the game holistically.
Speaker 5: Even if you don't have your legs on the offensive end, being out there sometimes you know you can you can be that facilitator, you know what I mean, you can just being out there, can you know, call spacing issues. So Luca's really just gonna have to buy in on the defensive level. I know JJ's, you know, losing a lot of sleep. I could see he's aging already. That's my young boy too, And you know, I think he'll put them in a position to be successful. But like like I said, man, it's a cheat code. Up up, down, down, left, right, left, right, VA select star. It's a contra cheat code.
Speaker 1: When you have that's thirty lives. That's thirty lives. This team is sitting at fourth in the West. They won sixth straight. Obviously, the Mark Williams trade fell through, and I just think, and I already and I don't even want to be up here talking bad, but just what a what a piece of shit move by the Hornets. You mean, you knew what the deal was you try to pull a fast one. And this is not a knock on the players at all, but I just I was already thinking that the Hornets are just such a bad organization, and you know, this kind of just shines a spotlight, you know, on that. I thought adding a Mark Williams, who is a lob threat, who is a you know, nearly a double double guy, a young kid too, could have really set them up, you know, for him to play his role in this team to achieve what they need to achieve. That trade is rescinded. You know, all jokes aside Jackson Hayes is are only big guy right now. They don't have money to really go out and get people in the buy out market. Keon, you mentioned, you know, JaVale McGee and Dwight Howard is sitting at home, and there's some other people sitting at home right now, jack Where does this team go to try to find some frontline depth? Again, Jackson Hayes there, but he's still young and I'm not sure if he's someone you can count on yet in the playoffs. Where do you think they go to sure up that front line, or at least sure up that front line for the remainder of this season them.
Speaker 4: I mean Javel again, Dwight, how Dwight, Howse on people I can think of. But regardless of what they do, they ain't gonna win it this year. In my opinion, they need to. They got to make a whole bunch of moves. You know what I'm saying. They can make it entertaining. Yeah, they can see you know, get Dwhite or Javel mcgeeze. I think those two guys give them the presence they need right now to make a run and to look and to make it look good.
Speaker 2: Because those guys are experienced.
Speaker 4: They know they know the role they need to play to come in which with Lebron and Luca protect the room, catch libs, all that type of stuff, sat screens role, they know all that type of stuff. But at the end of the day, man, whatever they're doing is just spinning their reels. Right now, I think this summer they really can open open up what they got, you know what I'm saying, see how they can make moves. I think this summer is really when you I mean next season, it's really we're gonna see this Lakers team be the team it could be.
Speaker 2: But right now, everything's just for nothing.
Speaker 1: To be honest with you, I think they have a lot of really good pieces. I mean I like Finny Smith, I like Hachie Mora, obviously, I love Reeves. I think it's the front line that needs to shure up. And again to your point, Stack, I mean, there's there's guys that have been contemplated retirement are the only guys that can really go after So those are just to be the plug hole this year. But again, you know, to take a look under the hood, I don't think they need a ton I think going into this summer they're gonna need frontline help and depth. And I think outside of that, they got a lot of other good pieces.
Speaker 2: Jack.
Speaker 1: You mentioned earlier this Kevin Durant situation with matt Ishbia and and and the new ownership. And you know, Bob Myers came out and talked on NBA today or was it NBA or with it today NBA today.
Speaker 6: So I saw Kevin at a football game a few weeks ago and I asked him before all this, and I said, hey, are you good?
Speaker 2: You happy?
Speaker 6: And he said to my face, I don't want to go anywhere else. I don't want to be traded. He I'm and I believe it, and I believe he has felt that way all along. But then when you hear your name being mentioned out of for him, at least, I think it was a shock.
Speaker 2: He was kind of like, I didn't.
Speaker 6: I didn't push for this, I didn't ask for this, And then to hear all the people spec your on the Warriors. I actually think the Warriors did the right thing by honoring Kevin's request. Kevin could have gone anywhere in twenty sixteen, any team he wanted to go to, he could have went to.
Speaker 2: He went to the Warriors.
Speaker 6: And he's the only person in that whole equation that took criticism for it. I didn't, Joelacob didn't, Steve Kurr didn't, Steph Curry didn't, Draymond Grad didn't. Only Kevin was the one that faced scrutiny. So whatever Kevin would want, had I still been with the Warriors, Kevin would get. He brought two championships, tried for a third, ended up getting hurt in that pursuit two finals MVPs. So I liked that the Warriors said we hear you, we wanted you, We respect that you don't want to be here, that's fine. But now if you're Kevin right to your question, yeah, you're sitting there going, hang on a second, here, I am doing what you pay me to do. I'm playing basketball. I'm playing at a very good high rate. And now I hear my name being mentioned. So he's a human being. You know, we try to mytholog mythologize.
Speaker 3: He's got he's a guy, So kurk.
Speaker 6: You know him when you played. I'm not a player, I don't know, but I imagine as a human being.
Speaker 1: You're kind of shaking up talking about how Kevin was completely blindsided that he was being fished around or shopped around to anybody because he had, you know, hadn't made a you know, inquiry about wanting to be traded or needed to be traded. He was very content and happy where he was. And actually our boy Rich Climban retweeted that and then deleted it because it just made it seem like KAD was happy to be out in Phoenix. But again my point about these newer owners not understanding the lay of the land. Would you we all agree that KD has done enough in this league too. If this is going to be what you want to do when I respect it because of that, As you said, KD, it is a business. Could you at least give me a heads up?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I agree, they damn social it gave him a heads up.
Speaker 4: I mean, god damn. He didn't have to come there. He had options before he signed with Phoenix. You know what I'm saying, Like he can't. He did, y'all solid, and with everything that's going on with Bradley Beal, with everything that's going on with that team, he's the only thing solid him book or the only thing you got siled and two guys that you are lucky to have at the same time, two of the best shooters ever played the game. So I don't like how they handled it. But I know how KD is. Kd's a real one, and he don't.
Speaker 2: He don't like disrespected shit and shady shit like that. You know what I'm saying, he don't like it. So I know in the back of his mind. I hope in the back of his mind.
Speaker 4: I'm not gonna say, I know, I hope in the back of his mind this summer that he get the fuck on and go somewhere else and get him a couple more championships.
Speaker 1: When we get out of here.
Speaker 5: KD thoughts, Yeah, I look, I think there's a certain level of respect and communication and responsibility that the superstars have.
Speaker 3: Attributed to the game.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 5: The game got bigger on their watch, The money pole got bigger, the pot got bigger, our fan base group on their watch.
Speaker 3: And so it's like, these guys.
Speaker 5: Are legendary players, and when you have an opportunity, uh, you know, to make a move or make a trade or have a conversation, I think those things need to be had along the way.
Speaker 3: Some guys earn that, right.
Speaker 5: We also understand that it's a business, but some guys supersede the business.
Speaker 3: Some guys are bigger. It's bigger than Nino Brown.
Speaker 5: It's bigger, you know what I mean in basketball in a certain sense. Man with Kevin Garnett, I mean, excuse me, but Kevin Durant, he's one of those transformational, you know, players for the last ten years.
Speaker 3: And so yeah, you do want to have those conversations.
Speaker 5: And I think they had those conversations, but retroactively after already kind of doing some shot act, you know, And it hasn't worked in Phoenix.
Speaker 3: It has not worked. It just hasn't worked out.
Speaker 5: You know, they had some they got a big three, they got some pieces to the puzzle, but it just hadn't all come together. And I don't believe the basketball God's reward. You know, fractures in organizations. It's the ones who are willing to have the hard conversations, lay it all on the line, have.
Speaker 3: Some disagreements, you know what I mean.
Speaker 5: Sometimes you know, you you know, whatever it come, whatever comes with that, those are the ones who get over that hump. And I just don't think they have the capacity in Phoenix right now. Are the infrastructure in place to be able to have those kind of conversations and to have and build and respect Kevin Durant as he should be respected.
Speaker 1: I think it starts at the top. You know, winning starts at the top, and that's with ownership. And we all know that Kevin will never let this shit that happened affect his on the court play. But we also know Kevin is someone who holds grudges. Oh yeah, And we don't know why he didn't want to go to go back to Golden State, but we understand that there was some shit that went on at Golden State. So that's something in the back of his mind. So this is, you know, to Matt Ishpia and Phoenix management, you guys need to fix this during the season because what you did is obviously more than enough for him to want to bounce. So to that organization, if you appreciate Kevin Durant and what he's done and what he can still do, you guys need to fix that shit. And then I think the other point is to Bradley bial I think that was just a and I like Bradley bial I just think it was a horrible move. And I said it when he came over. I thought it was a horrible move to send him to Phoenix because all those guys do the same thing, and he has this big old crazy Washington contract that gives him power of attorney. You always want the power, I mean, so I'm definitely not mad at him just taking any goddamn deal. But I think it started back when they signed Bradley Beal to bring him to Phoenix, because they could have got a lot of other pieces that would have complimented your two superstars that were already there. With football over the NCAA basketball is heating up, some would say, and there's some young prospects, young prospects that'll be you know, top of the board in this upcoming draft. Kdie breakdown who you think the top five men's college prospects are in this year's draft.
Speaker 3: Yeah, man, I think it's a young boy draft, you know what I mean.
Speaker 5: Like all the guys who I feel like are the top five prospects are freshman's you know, and not to you know, throw dirt on any of the seniors and guys who've been putting in working college ball for a while.
Speaker 3: But man, these young boys.
Speaker 2: They got it.
Speaker 3: They got the holistic package. I think you have to start that off with.
Speaker 5: Cooper flag right, you know, reclassifying coming in at seventeen years old, putting in work, getting his body in condition.
Speaker 3: He was, he was cramping early in the in the season.
Speaker 5: He got an opportunity in the summertime to play against the USA basketball team, showed up and showed out. And I just think from from a time and standpoint and from a fan based standpoint, Cooper's timing is impeccable, you.
Speaker 3: Know what I mean.
Speaker 5: We need that demographic, you know, to be engaged and be able to see a piece of themselves.
Speaker 1: Katie, Katie, what what what demographic is that we need.
Speaker 3: We need to we need we need our we need our fan base.
Speaker 2: You know what I mean.
Speaker 3: We need we need you know what I mean.
Speaker 5: Like you know, like when Larry Bird and Magic was there, you know what I'm saying, the.
Speaker 3: Game grew, you know, like we need you know, the.
Speaker 1: Fan base, Melanie.
Speaker 5: We we need some white from the United States, of the of America, of the America, you know what I mean, because like this is our game, right, it's our game. It's it's you know, a lot of the of the white players come from international, so there's not that feel that you can feel if you're up in the Northeast, or if you're from the Midwest, or if you're from you know what I mean, certain regions of our country. And so Cooper will allow a fan base to see a piece of himself the same way King McCarg as, you know what I mean. And I think that'll and and he's got it, He's got all the two. So I think he's the biggest draft prospect we've seen in quite some time, not only from a playing standpoint, but also just from a growth of the game, you know what I mean.
Speaker 3: Here domestically, like Cooper will be very very good for our game.
Speaker 5: And he's got a motor, he's got a skill set, he's got swagger, he's got confidence, he got dog and I'm loving everything and I'm loving his growth and his evolution as he progresses.
Speaker 1: Who else you got in that mix?
Speaker 5: Well, you know what, man, it's uh, it's so funny because there's so many of our.
Speaker 3: Guys who played in the league who got sons coming up crazy.
Speaker 5: But like Dylan Harper, you know, I know he's been heard, but man, he's a combination of like Jalen Brunson and like Ramone Sessions as far as in pick and roll right, because he's got a big body, he's a lefty, he's got an incredible pace. I think he's somebody who has a lot of upside. His game will translate very very easily to the next level. And he plays on both ends of the four. And he's got he's cut from that pedigree, right, you know what I mean? O g Ron Harper was a beast back in the days. He's got a teammate over there who's extremely talented in Ace Bailey. Ace has got it, man. He doesn't need a lot of dribbles to get a shot off. He can make tough shots. He's got to become more efficient right in his game and play more with the motor. But man, he's got a skill set at six nine to sixteen, can shoot, can dribble, can pass. I think he's an extremely talented player. There's this kid out of Baylor. He's freaking nature VJ. Edgecombe. He's a freaking nature athletically kind of like Scoop Henderson, Dwayne Wade, like cut from that athletic cough had a really really good summer with the Bahamian team internationally and has really emerged man in the last two three weeks at Baylor, and so he's one of those guys man that is super athletic, super quick, got a good feel for the game. I think his game will be better suited for the NBA, especially with not being able to touch, with being able to get out in transition, and not necessarily, you know, having to play against all those four arms in college. I think edgecomb Is will also be somebody you'll probably see in the top five, top seven picks in the draft.
Speaker 2: I man, at that.
Speaker 1: Jack Cooper Flag is the coldest white boy since what m.
Speaker 4: He's the coldest white boys since until we see Larry bird Son.
Speaker 1: He ain't got a son. I don't think that kid's his son. But yeah, when they say he plays like him.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that motherfucker there. I've been watching them a three months now. Man.
Speaker 3: He's nice.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's nice. There's a white boy that they said, they say it's Larry sub but I don't think it is.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't think it is either. But this motherfucker is the truth.
Speaker 3: Okay, I gotta check him out.
Speaker 1: He's still this since LB. Huh. Hey, before we get you guys out of here. Super Bowl just happened this past weekend. Eagles beat the dog ship out of Kansas City. Man, so it happens when Trump roots for your team, you get cursed. But outside of the actual game the performance, Kendrick's performance has been met with love, hate, uh, frustration, admiration uh. And I feel like, personally, I feel like this was one of those performances that we're going to be dissecting for the next two to three weeks to find out all the different meanings and and and and reasoning behind. But what I will say is he came out here and he made a statement for hip hop, for the black culture during Black History Month, and really kind of. I think Jermaine Dupriez said it best and and I think a lot of people took what he said the wrong way. He said he was glad that people had an issue with it because we've all thrown music like it was gumbo and it's supposed to be Rap ain't supposed to be for everyone. That performance wasn't for you, Jason Whitlocke. You're a white man stuck in a black man's body. That's why I don't expect you to be fucking with that, and that's why I expected you the next day to coon like you cooned. But outside of that, what did you guys think about Kendrick's performance?
Speaker 4: Well, I mean, for me, it was the dope shone some of the dober shit I've ever seen.
Speaker 2: Matt, I ain't we even lie. I enjoyed every bit of it. Man.
Speaker 4: You know what I mean to to some to have somebody one of us, you know what I mean that come from the backgrounds and the culture we come from, to get on that and to and to not go up there and just to make it about uh, cars, clothes and money, but to have the biggest moment, uh that he's ever had, and to make a statement and speak for all of us. You know that that means something to me, bro, because I've that you know what I'm saying, I put myself in a position for for all our people. So for him to take his moment, his biggest moment and to the choice of songs everything the way he did it with Samuel Jackson with the flag I had, I had to break it down, mat to see a lot of stuff, even with the kid man on the like, you know.
Speaker 2: There's a lot of stuff.
Speaker 4: It's lot of stuff people saying that, you know, but I think I think it was super dope, man. And like like like a lot of people say, you don't have to not like Drake or or to do mean Drake to like this performance. This performance was dope. So just just just learn how to appreciate Kendrick being the boss right now hip hop. It's his time. He's doing it the right way. He's doing it like nobody else has ever done. And you gotta just you got to just take your hat off of somebody's being great, bro, because we don't see shit like this often, especially in the rap game.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean, Doc Man is He's amazing. He's an artistic performer. And you know what I mean, Like his show is just not him on the mic. It's constant movement. It's constant symbolism that you have to dissect and dco.
Speaker 3: It's total energy, it's voice command, you know what I mean. It's it's the right fits. Sinsy came out there wearing that thing owner. You know what I'm saying. You know, all that's done, you know what I mean?
Speaker 1: Like it to me?
Speaker 5: You know, it was entertaining, but it wasn't divisive in my opinion, it's inclusive. Like a part of our American history is the black experience, and you know when we have voices and people who share that through symbolism, through song. We've always used song and music to express what we endure and what we feel and our experience in this culture. Right, and to have the super Bowl, have him on that platform, and for him to take it, you know, to so many levels, right and bring so many different local cultures from California because he was riding in his gn.
Speaker 3: X, you know what I mean, to bring you know, the red, White and Brew, to bring Uncle.
Speaker 5: Him in there, right, you know, and you those parallels, but then also to bring a part of hip hop culture like I'm still gonna I'm gonna look at this camera and I'm gonna still do this disc on shit, right, you know what I mean? Because a part of hip hop is competition. It's not always beef. It's competition. The same way we grew up in competition, the same way we competed against each other. Y'all had to match up against each other. And y'all love each other, y'all give money together, y'all go on vacation together. But guess what in between those lines, y'all was gonna knuckle up by his competition, right, And hip hop is about that. And so I think he embodies that. It was impressive performance. Me and my family we watched it. We showed out, we did all the dances. And then he patty too, like he got.
Speaker 3: To he is Petty Serena coming out doing her thing.
Speaker 5: I just thought it was a It was a very cool concept, and I think he delivered, you know what I mean. And for all those naysayers when the music went down and you heard everybody say a like get involved.
Speaker 3: With the whole world set that the people in the building were feeling.
Speaker 1: Fucking with it absolutely. I mean from the PlayStation control to the game over old crowd. I don't think we talk enough about what Samuel L. Jackson meant to that performance, because he was the He was the He was the quote unquote white opinion. Oh you you brought your homies for the culture. That's one less life, you know what I mean? He you know, you guys are too ghetto. He was all the bullshit that is talked towards our culture, not just Kendrick, but towards our culture as a whole. He was the one and it every time he says something, Kendrick had of answer for us. I just thought, very well, put together, very creative. If I'm not mistaken. One hundred and thirty three and a half million people view that, which would put it at the top, Which would put it at the top. Man, So man, shout out to the whole TDD family, Shout out to Kendrick, and again and again to love what to love what Kendrick did. Doesn't mean you hate Drake.
Speaker 4: Exactly a Matt, But no, I want to say one thing too. You know, it was the thing about this whole thing to me, like it's a video. It's it's a rapper name a Z A Z Cheek. I think something like that. He on a song called Peekaboo. He didn't make the super Bowl, but it's a video on him and his family watching Kendrick sing part of his verse.
Speaker 2: Bro And if you've seen the joy and him and his family watching Kendricks.
Speaker 4: But that that that made me feel good because that's that's how your patn is supposed to put you on. You know what I'm saying. We all know it was a limited amount of people that Kidrick can have. But if I can't get my pot, let me wrap his verse while.
Speaker 2: You know what I'm saying. I think that was the dope shit about the whole thing to me, But he.
Speaker 1: Gave he showed respect to a lot of different things, whether it be cities, people, culture. It was dope O KD.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 1: We appreciate your time, definitely looking.
Speaker 3: Man, appreciating your week. Let's keep it up.
Speaker 1: Yes, sir, you know what Jack NBA All Star twenty twenty five, San Francisco, California. We'll be heading out there in two days.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 1: I'm excited. You know this is a place where you know you and I really started our brotherhood and our friendship back in the day. We have a great run. And then in the mid two thousands, and you know, now it's back out here in our company. That that's that sounds good to say. Our company is going out there to set up a flag.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 1: So what are your thoughts about All Star coming up this week?
Speaker 2: Always gonna be good to be back in the Bay Man.
Speaker 4: So many memories, I think some uh, definitely some of my best years playing basketball. Uh, some of the best fans I got, some of I think the relationships that I built while I was playing.
Speaker 2: I think a lot of those relationships I built out there I still have today.
Speaker 4: So I think Oakland, Oakland, San Francisco is a is a special place in my heart. Is gonna be It's gonna be good to bring our show back. I think not only for us, but the city, the whole Bay Area been asking us to come for so long. I'm getting so many cars and texts, texts trying to get to the show. How can I get tickets and all this type of stuff.
Speaker 2: Bruh. So it's gonna it's gonna good to be back with family. Man. I think I think it's only right there.
Speaker 4: We bring all the smoke back and playing our flag there because that is one of our homes.
Speaker 2: Mm.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, man, We're blessed to have the run TMC. So we're gonna talk to Tim Men and Chris with the run TMC team and then also man a Rebelieve reunion with some of our brothers. Man, I'm really looking forward to that. So those are gonna be two live shows we're doing. We're doing a brunch on Sunday honoring Too Short and He forty with Larussell Cure rating. Are welcome to All Star Live Show with Kevin Garnett. You know, Kevin Garnett was our first live show at All Star. Was that All Star sixteen twenty twenty, twenty twenty, the Pandemic All Star. So we're gonna catch up with him with some special guests dropping through that show our welcome dinner. Man, it's it to me again. And I think I've said this. I mean for us to be able to play out there and me be from you know, our way from there, but for us to go back there, man, damn here twenty years later, almost twenty years later as a business as a company. Man, I'm really proud of that and obviously couldn't have done that without you, bro. So I appreciate you and I love you. I'm definitely looking forward to having some fun out there.
Speaker 2: Yes, sir, me too.
Speaker 1: Well that's a wrap for this week unplugged. We appreciate you guys tuning in.
Speaker 2: Have a good week.
Speaker 1: Shout out to Kendrick Man, even shout out Drake. He's out there doing this thing right now in Australia doing his thing, and memory to love one, you don't have to hate the other. Make sure you guys catch us on all the Smoke Productions YouTube and the DraftKings Network. We'll see y'all next week.