Speaker 1: Fisher Jets podcast is presented by win Bet. Betting is a team sport butt together win Bet. Eric Allen here at one Jets Drive, joined by the man backer, Bart Scott. Part's unknown. We don't know his whereabouts this Monday morning. We do know it is raining still and for Jets fans, they've been very upset over the last twenty four hours. So let's break this down overall thirty thousand foot view takeaway, Bart, what do you make of the Jets fifteen to ten loss of the Patriots?
Speaker 2: Not good enough? Not good enough on the offensive side. Got to do a better job and establishing some type of rhythm you know, you have to have You have to decide what you are personnel and right now I think everything's on the table. You have to consider maybe mkole Harmon trying to figure out ways to get guys the ball in space, how to protect I mean, I think you go back and you have to start it over. You have to devise something that what does Zach do well? How can we establish some type of momentum? And on defenses? You know, you learn their lessons and you feel like you have to be perfect, but you shouldn't be. You think I look at the big play just a rule of thumb. As defenders, when you guys are comboing guys, you always want to be on different levels because if something happens and somebody gets behind you, if you're on the same level, it's no recovery. And it was a miscommunication between white Head and Sauce, and that was a big explosive play to a player that shouldn't have much production based on you know, his previous resume. And those are things you have to learn like in those situations, and this has to be something that everybody learns from. Whenever we have you know, limbos or we call them banjos or whatever you want to call it, you never want to be on the same level flat because if you guys mess up, nobody can help make up the mistake, so they have to go back to the table. This is a tough one, man, because you know the fourteen in a row, how difficult that was to swallow. And it's like, you know that you have better personnel than the New England Patriots, but the results still come and seem to fall short every time.
Speaker 1: I know it's just three games in this season, but if you are a defender, in that locker room and you just gave up thirteen points. Yeah, the takeaways weren't there, and the Patriots were still converting a decent amount on third down, But how do you keep your hat off? I was very impressed with CJ. Moseley yesterday the way he addressed the media after the game.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, everybody's holding on to the rope and everybody is standing in the boat, standing in the wheelbar, so to speak. But you know, we all understand that it's got to get better, right And what you don't want is to happen what happened to this defense last year. Their snaps get up, they started to wear down and break down later in the season, and the defense that you see at the beginning of the year, you don't see the defense at the end of the year because guys get fatigued and because it's overexposure. You talk about playing complimentary football, that means, you know, also being able to win the field position battle, being able to flip the fild. You know, I thought Morstav was a star yesterday. But they was able to do in that punt to give the Jets opportunity to win that game. Was impressive and He's a weapon, but you can't you know, really take advantage of that weapon if you're not getting out of you know, the shadows of your own end zone and not being able to try and get any red zone attempts. You know, I think they're gonna have to do a deep dive and they gotta have to consider shaking it up, because if you continue to go this way, the season can go, you know, by the wayside, very fast. The schedule. We know what the schedule is coming up, and we knew the first six games with Aaron Rodgers is going to be a difficult task to begin with, and you know they're not doing themselves any favors.
Speaker 1: What was different about the drive in the second half that culminated on Nick Boum's touchdown where Wilson really got hot. You felt his comfort just watching him where he goes seven to ten. What was different in that drive compared to the rest of the game.
Speaker 2: The Patriots was playing the odds. They were playing soft and making sure they didn't give up the big play. So they were allowing that hoping that you know, it would be a penalty, it'd be a procedure program, it'd be something like that. They were giving those those catches up by playing extremely, extremely soft, right, And they did that because they knew that the clock was their friend. They knew that the time was their factor. So sometimes that can be foods go when teams are in this prevent defense and playing soft because they knew the only way that they did just get back in the game if they gave up a quick score. So they played against that and really opened up the middle of the field to allow you know, plays to happen. And the just did a good job. Zach did a good job and taking what they were giving. The issue is trying to take what the defense is giving early in the game when they are playing tight. And I thought it was a lot of missed opportunities drive routes a couple of times, some giving up in the pocket and not staying and believing in the protection. If he just would have stayed with some things on a couple of times when he bailed outside of the pocket, you know you had drag routes that was wide open that you know, you want to give your guys an opportunity to run after the catch because I feel like we have receivers that can run after the catch. But you have to stick with it, you have to believe in and sometimes you're going to take a hit to deliver that ball. But you know, if he would have held in that pocket just a nano second longer, it was big plays that was available there be it the drive routes that they started to have later in the second half, the concepts that they were trying to put together, they were open.
Speaker 1: How difficult job is this right now for Nathaniel Hackett because you come in you think you're going to be working with Aaron Rodgers. Of course that doesn't happen one hundred percent injury league. Nobody's making excuses here, but it's a young quarterback and Zach Wilson is a play caller. I have to imagine that what goes through your mind, even though they did have all those reps out here on the field in the summer of camp and then those preseason games, like you still got to feel it out, don't you. And then on top of it, you have an offensive line that is working with a number of different pieces. Dwayne Browno goes on into reserves, so you flop Makai Beckton over the left tackle. You got Avt your chess piece, the ultimate chess piece goes over his right tackle. Joe Tipman starts his first game. You got Breis Hall, who's on a pitch count. I'm making excuses. I just want to know how you look at when you put all that stuff together. What kind of challenge is this right now? For Hackett?
Speaker 2: I mean, he has to dig into his bag. And if you've been a coordinator in this league long enough, you understand that you have to adapt to every situation. Nobody's gonna feel sorry for you, just like nobody feel sorry for Dallas that went out and faced a backup quarterback and Dobbs and you know he played well. You look at sea Ja Stroud how well he played. He's a rookie, you know. So you have to find a way to get it done because if you don't, there will be consequences. That's just the nature of the business. Nobody's gonna feel sorry for you. You have good enough pieces around you to be successful. You have to figure it out. And that's the process, right, And that's that's why coaches. Coaches are teachers, right. You have to you have to be able to teach, you know, your players how to play fast. You have to devise a plan that allows them to take the thinking out where they're not mechanical. You hear Justin Field's talking about that and receiving too much coaching that he's thinking about it so much that he's paralyzed in the pocket. You have to make it where you can play play free. I thought, you know, some of the boots and throwbacks were a welcome a welcome edition. They have to do more of that, you know, if you have to cut the half of the fill off. But if you don't, If you don't, then it's gonna it's gonna go down down the same road that it was last year.
Speaker 1: All right, So everybody focuses on Zach's weaknesses. Can you talk about Wilson's ranks, what you see here as far as what he brings to the table, uh physically, where you think he potentially can excel and help this team progress here?
Speaker 2: Well, you look at you look at what the Patriots did. They made sure that they didn't get past quarterback depth because they knew the week before and Cover one he used his legs and that they gave him confidence. So they made sure that they kept him in the pocket and made him feel pressure even though it wasn't real pressure. Sometimes a lot of times it was just like the walls were closing in, but they were closing in slowly. They didn't give him those quick escape routes, and so you know, Zach has to use his arm, trust his eyes. He can make the throws, he can get the ball there, but he has to throw in anticipation. You know, sometimes when he scrambles, he throws and it's instinctive because he's running. It takes his mind off of going through the process. So you have to, I think, give him sale routes. Stack routes always have to have. I didn't like yesterday that they kept the back end. I understand that, you know, New England's not a great pass rushing team. There solid pass rushing team. I wish that they would have had Michael Carter releasing out a lot of times because it was overkill at times, and he has to have some type of outlet where guys check out. I remember hith Miller used to do that all the time. He would protect for Ben Roethlisberger and if nothing came open, if he felt the ball that come out, he would be blocking and he would just release from his man and it'd be an easy dump over pass after everybody's run out, kind of what you know the Patriots did yesterday with the fake wamb pass where the guy came in and hit the defensive end, got lost, and then released out. You have to have a system where Zach can know that, no matter what, you're always going to have a checkout, check down here, check down there. And I love I would love to see Mikole Harmon get in the game and use some of that speed to blow the top off. I feel like teams are playing the Jets horizontally because Garrett Wilson, for as good as he is, he's not really that deep threat burner, although he can run, but you don't look at him like the Tyreek Hill. Right, remember who McCole Harmon was brought in his league to replace. He's brought in his league to replace Tyreek Hill, and he had success playing over forty percent of the snaps when he was in Kansas City. Utilize that, right, We remember Robbie Anderson his ability to kind of blow the top off the defenses. It would give Zach more space, especially, you know, especially if you put him and Garrett on the same side. I think you can utilize that because the safety would have to run and cover McCole harmon over the top, which allows Garrett maybe to have dagger routes and combinations. And I feel like you have to give guys chances, right and I would love to see Garrett that yesterday he was in the slot. I believe twelve times out of seventy snaps or something like that, he has to be in I think he had so he's been in slot maybe twelve times this season. I believe we have to get him in the slot and get him easy, easy catches. Gonzales did a good job and kind of playing well, and a lot of times it wasn't anything therefore, Zach, but I feel like we got to start rubbing guys off and when things aren't there, we have to have a checkdown in the county, have an outlet.
Speaker 1: I know everything goes hand to hand offensively. But your take on the run game and how was New England taking that away. That's the second consecutive week where a defense said, hey, we know you're gonna want to run the football, but we're not gonna lunch.
Speaker 2: You thought. I thought the mistake was trying to run outside. We know traditionally that New England never let you get outside for the most part, and they had the odd front, which means they had two big tackles in between the guard and the tackle, and the tackle has to block out so they can turn the ball in. I thought when they had success is when they ran the ball in the inside, and they continue to run the ball in the inside. I thought that was the best course of action, especially when they had the odd front. Basically they had somebody head up on the center and then they had two guys outside the guards. That's hard to run outside, but you can get a lot of traps and woes and double teams that way, and you have to figure out who you're gonna let go on the outside. Now, I thought they did a good job, but then they didn't didn't stay with it, They didn't they didn't do anything good enough consistently.
Speaker 1: Did you like that formation where you're going gune and you got a number of receivers in the outside, you're basically spreading it out and then you're hammering or breeched up the middle.
Speaker 2: Well, that's what I was talking about, attacking, attacking the interior, right, and that's what you do when you get odd fronts because eye fronts are hard to run against. I say that again because the defensive the nose tackle isn't picking a side, so it's not like an angle. He's able to If he's able to drive the center straight back, then that's that's setting it setting the edge, and then the guys on the other side are just firing off. And it's hard for a guard to be able to push somebody out when they're already sitting on their outside shoulder. So what you do is you run inside, right you you run inside and you know, I would love to see the Pony package a lot more and utilize briefs and and and and dalving inside of the the passing game like coming through like even old school leads where you know, the fullback goes one way and the and the tailback goes the other way, or the old school strike pass because if they're if they're playing, and you get middle you get middle safeties. You know, cover to look like New England was trying to do. And you have like a fullback that runs through the say like the b gap, and he he goes and he continues and he runs a vertical route from there with that speed that's the way to get those guys open. So they got to go back to the during table. Man, it's not going to get any easier to facing the champions or Sunday night football. And that team looked amazing. I know they were playing the Bears, but they can wear they can wear any defense out let alone the defense that gets overexposed because they're on the field to them.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well we're gonna get to that in a second. The other thing that's so scary about Kansas City is their defense continues to elevate. So you're pairing that defense up with a Hall of Fame quarterback, the NFL MVP, the bus player in the league, an unbelievable tight end, and they continue to use weapons and they're figuring other things out offensively. I mean, that team is going to be awfully tough to beat, not just Sunday for the Jets, but for any team. When we get to January again, what do you make of the running back play distribution. I think Brees got more snaps against the Patriots than he was, followed by Dolvin. You mentioned Michael Carter before. Seems like the Jets are using him a lot third down back, So Yeah, what's your take on as we continue to go through the season. But Breece is still on a pitch count, but he had more than thirty reps yesterday.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, he's going to continue to get stronger. And you gotta think the week before he had a low pitch count and he had low reps, so he should have had a little bit more juice. He's going to continue to get stronger, but they have to figure out a way to established a run. Now we know for the near future that Beckon is going to be a left had. You know, the Abt is going to be a right tackle. I like the fact that Tipman is a great puller. He can play in space, so I think you utilize that as well, and you have to start utilizing runs in certain concepts that that guys are best at. And I think you got to get the receivers you know, involved in this run game as well. You know, you got to figure things out. I would love to see a little bit more Rutger because he's I think the most complete tight end that to Jets have, and you think about blocking and you know, catching, I would love to see him out there a little bit more because he's a physical at the point of attack type of blocker.
Speaker 3: Jets fans, we're in our final push and the clock is ticking. Wind Bet is giving you a golden opportunity to win VIP prizes for the twenty twenty three season. The win Bet Green Room is the most exclusive space at the stadium with all inclusive food and beverage, lower level seats, and appearances by Jets legends and celebrities. New Jersey customers, all you need to do is wager at least one hundred dollars on win Bett's sports book or casino. For New York customers, all you need to do is wager at least one hundred dollars on win BET's the sports book. The best part, you get an entry for every one hundred dollars you wager.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I think Rutger had only one or two snaps, and I think initially Salah was saying earlier this week that Hey anticipate seeing him more out there. You mentioned the offensive line. Interesting what you said about Tipman. How do you think he acquitted himself? Considering that Hey comes out of Wisconsin. The Jets talked about his position flexibility, but last couple of years he's been playing center there. Then he's kind of thrown to the walls against a very good defense there in the Patriots in his first career started guard.
Speaker 2: I thought, I thought the Jets offensive line was was was good. I thought, you know, there's some some players you want to have back like every other chain, I thought they were scrappy. I thought they were decent, above average and past protection. That communications only gonna get better if they continue to play with each other, and they're gonna get chemistry. They're going to learn how to block certain fronts and have communication with each other, you know, on that side, whether it's you know, his communication with Beer Tucker, whether it's becting and lengthens communication on the other side as well. Hopefully we can get back to riding down you know, Route seventy seven and start leaning on it that way and let him come off. And you know, with an athletic guard that can pull you, you could expect like maybe Tipman pulling to Beckton's side and being able to add more bodies over there. So listen, they got to they got a lot to review, not a short turnaround, but they gotta they gotta move forward from this, and they got to figure out because it's not panic time, but it's getting close.
Speaker 1: The mental game is so important in the National Football League. You know that especially it's a quarterback position. If you're solid today, if you're hacking today, if you're rob calibreeze, what are you saying to Zach Wilson.
Speaker 2: You're telling them, Hey, we're giving you an opportunity and we're riding with you. But you know we can't. We can't stay with you to the detriment of our team. Now, we're giving you an opportunity. And understand what this year was supposed to be, but things change. We understand it's supposed to be a gap year. We need you to be the best version of yourself that you can be. You know, he did a good job and I turned the ball over. I know that was the Achilles Hill seven turnovers. We facing Bill Belichick. But you still can't be afraid to make plays. You can't be afraid to pull the trigger. And you know it's a fine line between you know, being aggressive and being reckless, and we don't We want you to be aggressive. We don't want you to be reckless.
Speaker 1: Do you anticipate any quarterbacks being moved throughout the National Football League prior to the trade deadline.
Speaker 2: I absolutely do. The issue is that all the places that had quarterbacks that you would think would be moved quarterbacks sustain the starting quarterbacks sustained injuries. Rather, you want to talk about Derek Carr and Jameis Winston having to play. You want to talk about, you know, the red rifle playing Andy Dalton play for for Bryce Young. You want to talk about Anthony Richardson going down and Gardner Minshew coming in and beating the Ravens on the road in overtime. You know. So, you know, Jacoby Brissett is the only one that really hasn't had to step into Sam Howe. So you know, I expect guys to be moved as teams figure that they're out of the contention and they want to try and move assets that they may not be on the team. It's early, it's only week three, but it's the guys and teams that are already in desperation mode. And you think about Minnesota on three, you think about the teams out there that are you know, Denver, oh and three. You think about the teams out there that understand what and three means, and on four, could mean that they start to go to Plan B.
Speaker 1: What about everything being magnified in New York. You played here with the Jets. You just mentioned it before. I think we lose sight of that right immediately after the game? Is the Patriots win a fifteen consecutive time in the regular season over the Jets. The Jets now have lost two straight games, but there are one and two. There's a ton of season left. Can you talk about maybe all the hype that went into the season starting March fifteenth and then where we were September eleventh, and how different everything feels right now?
Speaker 2: Well, you can't. You can't. You can't embrace and welcome all the hype that went on from March to now and then when it goes when it doesn't go your way, then complain about the hype or the or the attention that you're getting. Because you got the attention and you liked it when it was positive, you have to understand that the negative attention and the overexposure comes when you lose as well. So I mean, it's a catch twenty two. Same thing, make you laugh, make you cry, and right now it's making it just cry.
Speaker 1: Hey. Some takes throughout the League. Let's focus on the division. Miami puts up seventy and more than seven hundred yards of total offense in that dismantling the destruction of the Denver Broncos. How surprised were you by that? Just seeing those kind of numbers. The guy played defense in the National Football League.
Speaker 2: Well, I wasn't surprised that the Dolphins put up I thought they were you know, average, damn there, thirty burger this year with what they were able to do last year. And remember, these packages are growing. Everybody's kind of understanding the concepts, and you know this year they have these new wrinkles with the motion straight out to number one and creating space, and they have so much speed out there. And you know the fact that they got rid of a guy like Mike Gaesicki that was playing for the Patriots, so that they get a guy that can block better at the tight end position because they want their offense to go through their running backs but also through their receivers. I thought, I think Mike McDaniels is doing an outstanding job. I think he's early front runner for Coach of the Year with what he's doing. He's so smart and so innovative when he comes to game planning and play and play design. That I think there's somebody to be reckoned with. But you know, everybody knows that if Tool gets hurts, that's what everybody is afraid of. Because they were on their way last year. As far as the offense, they have a big matchup coming up, I think against the Bills, and we'll get a greater assessment of who they are because we know that the Broncos are are a mess right now.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you mentioned the Bills. I mean the Jets scored that big win Week one, and Buffaloes kind of study the ship against inferior opponents when you're talking about the Raiders and the Washington Commanders. But that defense looks like they're taking it up the level. So that match up between Miami and Buffalo is going to be interesting in Week four.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because the Dolphins defense isn't great. I'm still missing Ramsey and you know, you know that Josh Allen can put up points and now I don't know if he can put up points at that pace. But last year in the playoffs, really what the Dolphins did well was run the ball against They run the ball against them surprisingly and I think they can do that even to another level. Now that you know, you look at Milano, who's outstanding playing you know, outstanding football, but also when you look at you know, no Edmonds there, I think it leads a little bit to be desired for his backup and his replacement mcdames. They can run that ball with those home run hitters moster in the rookie. That's a lot of speed. You saw they put up almost two hundred yards rushing yesterday against the defense that traditionally was a top tier defense.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I think they have more than three hundred yards rushing. Listen, Okay, so let's talk about Jets Chiefs briefly. Sunday night football. You know you're gonna come out with an inspired effort. Everybody in the nation is going to be watching. Again. Defensively, what's the game playing against Mahomes and Kelsey and.
Speaker 2: Company getting off the fill on third down? And you have to understand that you have to stand your lanes because if you decide to rush and play cover one, or or if you decide to rush for Mahomes this year and last year beginning has hurt teams tremendously with his legs he's not the most athletic guy, but you know, four man rush allows two lanes for the quarterback to run through, and he's been killing guys with that. He's just taking whatever they give if you want to get all this tremendous depth, and he sees that he's not gonna hesitate the run because he knows that you're going to get a double team on on Kelsey. Maybe you do some unique things where you, you know, play sauce and I know you don't like to move, but play sauce on Kelsey because not because it's size, but because it's length, it's ability to have a huge defense radius. Maybe the best matchup that they can put out there to really try and slow Kelsey down, especially when he split away from the offensive line. Maybe you want to match up and bring in another corner because I think Valdell Scanley and these other guys aren't the same nearly the threat that Kelsey is.
Speaker 1: Would you like to see that saw us on Kelsey?
Speaker 2: Yeah, of course. I mean you think about size as far as hype. He's probably one of the tallest defensive backs that you guys have, if not the tallest. He's definitely the best with his feet and he's great at playing the ball. I remember last year, you know him being a rookie playing Mark Andrews really well. So I think, you know, Mark Andrews is a faster version of Kelsey. Kelsey's just a little bit more crafty. So I think that would be a good matchup other.
Speaker 1: Side of the ball. How do you contain the game rocker who is Chris Jones.
Speaker 2: I mean, he's only going to get stronger, getting more and more reps. You just have to listen. This tough sledding. You you challenge your offensive line, you gotta say, hey, we got to run into this guy. Yeah. I think the the the hard and soul is bowling. The middle linebacker who's I've always loved coming out of Missouri. He plays with his hair on fire. He kind of plays like Quincy and he's been playing at a high level man and that's been the biggest difference that they have great linebacker play between him and Gay. They have a lot of team speed. Specnola has done a good job and they're gonna they're going to try and attack attack Zach, and Zach has to be prepared. And this is one of those things that if you don't come out there on your a game. You may be embarrassed and you know all your peers and everybody's watching, and then there's really nowhere to hide, you know, because the entire nation is going to come out because they're going to be focused on your game.
Speaker 1: What you say, attack Spag's gonna be sent on all sorts of blitz packages at him.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's gonna dare him to find the open read. It's gonna be tough, you know what I mean? And I know this would be personal game for m coole Harmon because they decided to move on from him. And you know, if he's sitting there not involved in the packages, I think you know, he could hurt morale a lot.
Speaker 1: All right, let's send on a positive no here bro Mostly and Quincy. How good of those two ben throughout the first three games? And how much do you, as a dude who played the position of enjoy watching them play.
Speaker 2: I mean they's played that they played at a high level. I think Quincy has really took it up another notch. I mean I can even argue those can argue that maybe he's underpaid right with the level play that he's playing. But he's playing at a level that's elite. He's seeing the field well, and he's starting to try and find that balance between playing reckless and playing out of control. You know what I mean, I think me, I'm me under control of reckless. He's finding that fine balance where he's taking the shots. He's a physical presence for them. I think he sets the tone and CJ. It's just a general out there, you know, being able to control all the troops and let them know the situation.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and don't piss them off either. That Juju shot seem to really get under his skin all over the place.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, I mean you talk about your cheap shots, you talk about sauces getting hitting the family jewels. I mean, that's that's what makes things. That's what makes it hurt more. You know what I mean that you you let a team like that off the hook where they had no reason to beat you. They talked about not giving up that big play, but having that type of chance. That's what really gets underneath your skin.
Speaker 1: But the rally cry this week's got to be hey, listen, nobody expects you guys to win this game. Let it all hang out here.
Speaker 2: I mean, it should be that every week It has to be that, right because I think the sentiment that the Jets are a playoff team has changed where they went from the hated team to the team that people have empathy and nobody wants to have people feel sorry for you, you know what I mean. And you know you got people out there, You've got you got teams that are getting injured all over the place, and everybody's having these same conversations that we have to step it up, you know, whether it's you know, the backfield with the Ravens rather you talk about you know, Nick Chubb being gone, you know what I mean, It's it's this is football, and every year you have a you have a string of injuries that could either make or break your season. It's about what you do after it, right Dallas is you know, having to figure out what they're doing with their with theirselves as well as they they got an adults in reality and realize that it's not easy when you lose a major component, major part of your team and how that changes things.
Speaker 1: It was legg day for Bart Scott today. Don't piss him off. Subscribe rate and review, also crush that like on YouTube. We'll be talking to you soon.
Speaker 2: Brother, look forward to it,