Speaker 1: Broadcasting live from the Abraham Lincoln Radio Studio the George Washington Broadcast Center.
Speaker 2: Jack Armstrong is Joe Getty.
Speaker 3: Armstrong and Jetty and he Armstrong and Yetty.
Speaker 4: We need greenland for national security purposes.
Speaker 2: You look outside.
Speaker 4: You have China ships all over the place. You have Russian ships all over the place.
Speaker 2: We're not letting that happen.
Speaker 4: You get rid of that artificially drawn line, and you take a look at what that looks like, and it would also be much better for national security. We're spending hundreds of billions a year to take care of Canada.
Speaker 2: We lose in trade deficits.
Speaker 4: We're going to be changing the name of the Gulf of Mexico to trump the Gulf of America. Mexico has to stop allowing millions of people to pour into our country.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Gulf of America, Which, why why didn't we do this a long time ago? That's the only thing I thought when he said, Yeah, obviously we should call it the Gulf of America.
Speaker 1: We're going to plate the Bahamas in gold, gold plated islands. There'll be a mini People are saying they'll be the most beautiful islands. So just to summarize, we're annexing Greenland and Canada and renaming the Gulf of Mexico.
Speaker 2: And I'm in favor of all three.
Speaker 5: So I heard a Greenland politician on NPR today talking about, Yeah, we got Chinese ships right after our shore. They're surveilling, it's on a daily basis, and he was all for some sort of falling under the umbrella of the United States.
Speaker 2: It's absolutely necessary.
Speaker 1: We've talked about it a couple of times today, including it length I think during our one. But yeah, Greenland and the Arctic in general is going to be of enormous I mean, you can't even comprehend how enormous strategic significance in the next fifty years. And yeah, what is Denmark going to defend the free trade around the world.
Speaker 2: No, we are, And so we've.
Speaker 1: Got to reevaluate our relationship with Greenland in what form that takes.
Speaker 3: Who knows the deal with Grenmark.
Speaker 5: Denmark is fairly recent, that's what this politician was talking about on NPR. I didn't know about that, I think fifty six or something like that. The hell did Denmark end up Greenland?
Speaker 1: Yeah, and we'd looked at buying it or something to that effect a couple of times and it just didn't go through. But it's not that crazy. I mean, it's fifty six thousand people. It's an enormous mass of land and frozen fresh water, mostly of again, an incredible strategic importance, and it's not like we're gonna run rough shot in there and burn it like Sherman on his way to Atlanta or anything like that.
Speaker 3: The c ATV Park, it'd be awesome.
Speaker 1: Call Lord anyway. So more on that to come, I'm sure in the days ahead. But as usual Trump he left it vague enough. It sounded kind of loopy, but when you dig into the details, pretty great. Canada is not going to become part of the United States. He's just dicking with them. Pardon me, he's trolling them as part of going into trade negotiations.
Speaker 2: The Gulf of America, though, you got me a hundred. What the hell is it?
Speaker 1: The Gulf of Mexico. Please, we surrounded as much as they do. If there's oil drilling, we're doing it.
Speaker 2: Maybe you're not fair of that.
Speaker 1: But if something goes wrong in the Gulf of Mexico, if there's a natural disaster, a hurricane, an oil spell, whatever, who cleans it up? The car tells no, the United States government.
Speaker 5: As we said yesterday, when you change the name of something like that, who do you call the map people? Or I mean, what is the system for that?
Speaker 2: Well? And what does that mean exactly?
Speaker 1: I mean I could call it Jimmy the Golf or the Gulf of Armstrong and Getty.
Speaker 2: Or what significance does that have?
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, anyway, So I don't like I'm against cynicism in general, because often it is laziness. It's the I reject everything. I'm smarter than everyone. Everything everybody says is stupid. I mean, that's like adolescent intellectual laziness. Yeah, I'm skeptical. You got to be a realist.
Speaker 5: Yeah, but that was you portrayed that as like an overall life philosophy.
Speaker 3: Obviously that would be bad.
Speaker 5: I'm pretty I'm pretty cynical about government. I mean, I'm past skeptical into My assumption is you're bad in a thief.
Speaker 1: You're already in Greenland ahead of the hundred and first airborne jack.
Speaker 2: That's exactly what I was going.
Speaker 1: To point out, and the oh my god, I gave up the classified plans they briefed me.
Speaker 2: I swore I wouldn't say anything. So I'm so sorry.
Speaker 5: So got everyone. Ranger is going to land in Greenland. Say, and now, what am I supposed to do?
Speaker 3: There's nobody.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, they're sailing right now. Oh no, I did it again. Oh I'm so sorry to fight.
Speaker 3: There's nobody here.
Speaker 1: One of the most telling, devastating, sickening parts of Mark Leivivich's brilliant book This Town. We've talked about this more than once, but when uh, he is talking to a couple of political consultants, avvyweight political guys, like campaign director type guys, as they're gonna do an appearance on a talk show and jaw with each other, argue with each other and call each other names and the rest of it. And they're good buddies. They're laughing and yucking it up in the green room. Then they're going to go off to the cocktail parties and the private schools and the you know, rich parts of DC Metro that they all live in. And one of them says, and this is the classic definition of a gaff.
Speaker 2: He says, accidentally says the truth out loud.
Speaker 1: He says something the effect of somebody's not in on the joke or they don't get the joke, and Leibovich has to try a couple of times to get them to admit what the joke is. And finally the guy says, the joke is that we're patriots.
Speaker 3: Okay, that is disturbing.
Speaker 1: That ought to disturb you. If it doesn't, well again, you're already there. And I congratulate you for your realism and so on. Of my missions. So one of my mini jihads is to help people understand that while morality and decency and patriotism and all those things are really important and I'm not cynical about them at.
Speaker 2: All, you've got to be aware that.
Speaker 1: Evil, cynical people use moral arguments because they know you are a moral person, and they use those to win the day and then do evil things. And you've got to be aware of when people are doing that. It's like the old saying, and it's been used about Islam around the world. When and you know, to paraphrase it, when we're in the minority, we will shout about free expression because we don't have the power. When we have the power, because that's your principles. When we have the power, we're gonna suppress free expression because that's our principles. You've just got to understand that as people are hitting you with arguments. For instance, Haakim Jeffries, very very bright guys, the minority leader of the Senate of the House. Now he took over from Nancy Pelosi, Liberal from New York. But he was speaking on the House floor after the election of Mike Johnson as a speaker a couple of days ago, and he said, and I quote two months ago, the American people elected Donald Trump as the forty seventh President of the United States of America. And then they the Republicans, clapped. He said, thank you for that very generous applause, which is kind of funny.
Speaker 2: Says, it's okay. There are no election deniers on our side of the aisle. You see.
Speaker 1: One should love America. One should love America when you win and when you lose. That's the patriotic thing to do. And that's the America that House Democrats will fight hard to preserve because we love this country.
Speaker 3: That sounds good.
Speaker 1: I agree with every word he said. And it's such an interesting to me moral dilemma, undrum, thought provoking situation. When you've got a gun drawn on a serial killer who's about to attack somebody, and he says, whoa murder is wrong? He's right, but you probably ought to shoot him.
Speaker 3: Well, I don't know where are you going with this, with the.
Speaker 1: Well, you've got somebody completely immoral expressing a moral argument that you agree with in order to get ahead. And what do you do? What do I do? Since I agree with every word Hakim Jeffrey said, but I know what a hypocrite he is to wit March twenty two to twenty seventeen, and I quote these happened to be tweets. With legitimacy of Trump's presidential election in doubt, his lifetime appointment of the Supreme Court can wait. Hashtag filibuster Gorsicic stop gorsicch Febs sixteen, twenty eighteen. The more we learn about the twenty sixteen election, the more illegitimate it becomes. America deserves to know whether we have a fake president in the Oval office. Hashtag Russian interference September twenty eighth, twenty eighteen lie more than any administration in the history of the public Cheat twenty sixteen election. Russian interference steal one or two Supreme Court seats. When will Republicans put country ahead of party? August thirteen, twenty twenty, It's now clear the effort to destroy the Post office is part of a continuing conspiracy to steal the election for the most corrupt administration in American history. Remember that the entire crime family must be held accountable. And November twenty twenty, history will never accept you as a legitimate president. Twenty fourteen. I'm sorry, say.
Speaker 3: Funny twist on that if I could go back in time, he wins again.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: September of twenty one, Republicans hijacked the judiciary by stealing two Supreme Court seats, and now they want us to respect illegitimate decisions from these people. October of twenty two, right wing extremists are publicly plotting to steal the next presidential election.
Speaker 2: And on and on.
Speaker 1: He is an election denier extraordinay, he's one of the kings of it, making the moral argument to us that how dare you You should never ever do that.
Speaker 2: You can't be cynical enough about these people.
Speaker 3: No you can't, No, you can't.
Speaker 5: And I took in a fair amount of information about the founding and the Constitution and stuff over the break, and I was having those thoughts. I mean, were they just a better class of people than us. Did our culture decay to an extent where we can't have people that actually care more about the country than their party.
Speaker 2: Politicians have always been politicians.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 5: I mean, and the podcast I was listening to, for instance, one example of how quickly things can turn.
Speaker 2: I mean, we had the Bill of Rights and.
Speaker 5: Free speech being number one, and it was just a couple of years later that the sitting president in Congress passed.
Speaker 3: The law outlawing saying anything bad about the.
Speaker 2: Country, right, it was the Alien and Sedition Acts.
Speaker 1: One of the worst things that's ever passed in the country was the Founding Generation themselves.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so, I don't know. Maybe that's just the state of humanity. It's the seduction of power. It's power makes you do perverse things. I think part of the answer.
Speaker 1: To your question, and that was the exception, but I still think part of the answer is they were so close to overcoming the crisis of oppression by Britain and fighting for freedom than the articles of the Confederation falling apart. Anybody who was like openly power hungry and damaging the country. I'm reminded of one of my favorite quotes from Lincoln and one of the great Supreme Court justices said, Look, if the Constitution doesn't live in the hearts of the people, there's no army, there's no laws, there's nothing that can save it. And if it does live in the hearts of the people, there's nothing that can end it. And we're at a point now where, especially in our political class, we are so rich and so comfortable, and there's so much power and money at stake, and we're so safe that that impulsive you dare not threaten the health of this country is given away to the opposite. Nobody cares about the health of the country. We're great, will always be great.
Speaker 5: Grab what you can, right, there's going to be a lot of money passed through my hands or my area.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna get mine.
Speaker 1: Like the Biden family, they got rich, got their twenty four LLC's going laundered, the money got away. What the hell the guy got elected to the White House?
Speaker 2: I am too.
Speaker 5: If you have any thoughts on that, because I wonder about that all the time. Is that just a different breed of people, or has it always been this way tax line four one KFTC.
Speaker 6: A nutrition study analyzed the health benefits of various ultra processed foods and drinks, and scientists have revealed that you lose twelve minutes of your life every time you drink a coke. What explains why Coca cola chants are slogan from taste the feeling to get your affairs in order?
Speaker 5: Wow, twelve minutes per coke, So four of them and I've lost to you an hour.
Speaker 3: Practically, I guess I.
Speaker 2: Have five minutes per cigarettes.
Speaker 1: So if I wash down my cancer stick with a coke, Wow, that's rough.
Speaker 5: I am trying to cut back on the ultra process anything that comes in a plastic bag I am. I'm making a definite effort to have lessen. Hey, Katie, I need you to do something because it's going to factor into the end of this little conversation. Will you get the Google definition or the Dictionary definition of neurotic for me?
Speaker 3: Because I think that's what I am.
Speaker 5: I don't know if I'm neurotic or a missingthroat more one of the two anyway, So I was gonna mention this this is all leading to that didn't watch the Golden Globes the other night, but one of the biggest winners was the movie The Brutalist, which I don't even know if I'd ever heard of, but I won a whole bunch of dang awards.
Speaker 2: Do you know about the Rutless or have you seen it? Just the headline? Okay, I had exactly the same reaction.
Speaker 5: Escaping post war Europe, a visionary architect comes to America to rebuild his life, his career, and his marriage on his own in a strange new country. He settles in Pennsylvania, where a wealthy and prominent industrialist recognizes his talent.
Speaker 3: It's all in the execution, right.
Speaker 5: So welcome to our country. Yeah, all that sort of stuff. So it sounds like it is really really good. Denzel Washington ended up losing. He set some sort of record by being nominated for a certain number of times for his role in a Gladiator two, which I have seen and I saw with my kids. Over the break, Henry and I watched the first Gladiator, which I'd forgotten how great it is, and it is now in my top certainly my top five all time movies. What an amazing movie that is. But Gladiator two not as good in a whole bunch of different ways. Denzel Washington was fantastic. The really great actors they like stand out against the other pe and I don't even know what it is.
Speaker 2: I would agree, and it's amazing.
Speaker 1: Particularly that doesn't mean I want to hear their opinion about anything other than acting.
Speaker 5: Although I would agree with most of what Denzel Washington has to say.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, Well a lot of movie acting is so weird because it's just you and the camera and it's just you're not reacting to people just anyway.
Speaker 2: But it's an art form certainly.
Speaker 5: Yeah, But here's what happened going to the theater. Well, what's a neurotic? Tell me what a neurotic is.
Speaker 7: Well, you would have something called neurosis, which is a mental condition that is not caused by organic disease, involving symptoms of stress, depression, or anxiety, but also not a radical loss of touch with reality.
Speaker 1: The way I always heard it described in psych class was that if you're a psychotic, you do not perceive reality as it is. If you're neurotic, you perceive it correctly, but you come to the wrong conclusions.
Speaker 5: And I don't think that's what I am I'm a missanthrope. I hate all humanity. Maybe that's it. But anyway, so for this movie theater, you had to, like I have book your seats.
Speaker 3: Ahead of time or whatever.
Speaker 5: Okay, fine, we get to the movie theater and there's nobody there. It's literally empty. We go in, we sit down. Shortly before the movie starts. You know where I'm going here, three people come in in an empty movie theater and walk in and sit.
Speaker 3: Right in front of us.
Speaker 2: Oh my lord.
Speaker 5: So I wanted to ask the guy if we could go outside, not to fight him, but to interview him, because I want to know more about his life. I want to know, what do you do for a living? Are you married, do you pay taxes? What other views do you have that makes you so freaking insane that in an empty movie theater you would sit right in front of the only people in there.
Speaker 1: Right, Yeah, I'm the same. First, I would be just insane with annoyance. Then I would think I want to know more.
Speaker 5: Right, just what the hell goes on in your mind that you did that?
Speaker 2: And it makes me crazy.
Speaker 5: I mean, it makes me more crazy that he exists and wondering about him than the fact he was sitting right in front of me.
Speaker 1: I'll send spitballs in the back of the neck Cake Cure and Getty.
Speaker 8: The technology is head turning, allowing your car to come to you from anywhere in the parking lot through Tesla's phone app and the touch of a button.
Speaker 2: No driver inside. But the National Highway Traffic.
Speaker 8: Safety Administration is raising concerns about the actually smart sum in feature in an estimated two and a half million Teslas, saying it is launching a probe over reported problems of failing to detect posts or parked vehicles resulting in a crash and the operator not having enough time to react.
Speaker 5: Well, that would suck if I press the button for my Tesla to come to me and it backs into somebody. Now that has changed my afternoon. First of all, they're what do you say, two million Teslas in the whole country. That's a tiny number at that being the most popular electric car out there. The new software update on the self driving really good, smoother than it's ever been. But somehow I got it on an old lady setting. Today it's coming to work. It's like, how slow were we gonna go?
Speaker 1: How much?
Speaker 5: How many car links do we need? To leave here the old lady I got to change it. Or it was a student driver with the teacher with them, that's what it was driving.
Speaker 2: Like currently taking driving tech.
Speaker 5: I need to set up for aggressive man on the way to work, That's what it needs to be said up.
Speaker 2: Well, it's a grudge against humidity exactly.
Speaker 5: The car thing reminded me a term I heard yesterday. You're gonna want to know this, you know how put a pin in It has been big for a while. If you're in your boardroom setting or whatever, you got to talk the lingo. We're going to park the car on that and come back to it later. I guess that's a thing now park in the too many metaphors, no longer putting a pennant. We're going to park that car. We'll come back to it. So if you want to, I know, I don't want to.
Speaker 2: I don't want to be in the meeting. I didn't want any of it.
Speaker 1: Hey, speaking of cars, though, I wanted to get this on and this is getting no attention. I'm glad CBS News touched on it. But the FBI, who has currently covered itself in glory and others, had been telling the City of New Orleans for years. You have got to put up the ballards, those stout columns that stop people from driving vehicles up on sidewalks.
Speaker 2: Washington, DC is full of them.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, yeah, yeah yeah.
Speaker 5: We were riding those scooters around to go everywhere last week. But you have to weave in and out of those things because they're in a building in at least the touristy part of Washington, DC that doesn't have those on every sidewalk.
Speaker 1: Right, But a twenty seventeen report by the City of New Orleans identify Bourbon Street as a potential terrorism target, citing FBI warning excuse me, and they installed some but over an again they've been told you've got to do this, and the local and state government really is. The city and county that are in charge of it have been terribly, terribly slow about it, have ignored the recommendations, have had money not spent it. I haven't been that all those people got run down. I haven't been to Bourbon Street in years. One of the great party districts in the world.
Speaker 5: But I had two people after that attack say yeah, the last time I was at Bourbon Street, I.
Speaker 3: Thought, wow, they don't have any of those polls here. I'm not sure I would have noticed that. It's not the sort of thing that's on my radar.
Speaker 5: But two different people said that they had been there and thought, Wow, they don't have any of those polls here.
Speaker 2: That's tony. I noticed that.
Speaker 1: Either I don't think and it's a damned shame that anybody ever does think that.
Speaker 2: But we live in the world live well.
Speaker 5: Going further down that conversation, as listened to a podcast about this, and it's clearly true. And whenever you have these conversations you get accused of giving terrorists ideas. But I have a feeling there pretty good at it on their own. If you're gonna start using cars as weapons, man.
Speaker 3: No, there's no stop in that.
Speaker 5: You could have a coordinated drive through school parking lots, attack in twenty different cities this afternoon if you wanted to, and there's nothing there's no way you could ever stop. All the things are every local parade or fair or wedding or I mean just there are endless gathered crowds.
Speaker 3: Is my point.
Speaker 5: That you could drive a car through anytime. There's no stop in that. What stops it is, thank god, hardly anybody is murderous.
Speaker 2: Thank god, right, it's murderous intent.
Speaker 1: That's what changed in society, not guns, although there are a hell of a lot of guns. But I got this note from Todd that I enjoyed. I think you will too.
Speaker 2: Guys.
Speaker 1: You're absolutely right that the choice of vehicle for the New Orleans terrorist attack was not random.
Speaker 2: That's weird. The FBI said immediately after you attack. This is not a terrace and intent incident. Oh on.
Speaker 1: Anyway, the use of the vehicle is not random. It was indeed no ordinary truck. It was a four to f one to fifty lightning, a fully automatic electric assault truck that delivers twice the kinetic force of an ordinary civilian truck. It has as much mass and makes as much power as military trucks designed for the battlefield. In states like Texas, you can rent these trucks without any kind of background check or waiting period, just like the terrorists did. I was surprised, said witness Dan mcpee. I was surprised that vehicle was able to get as far as it did. That's because he's thinking of ordinary vehicles, not military grade assault trucks. Until we have common sense truck control, until we prioritize people's safety instead of appeasing the powerful truck lobby. We can expect more such deadly attacks, right, I think, good sir.
Speaker 3: I get the parody there.
Speaker 5: It is something that these electric vehicles, like my Sedan weighs as much as a big suv and has a thousand horsepower. I mean, if you're gonna want to ram a crowd from a short distance, that's a vehicle for it. He made the right choice.
Speaker 2: A couple other follow ups via email.
Speaker 1: Polly went to the French laundry not long ago, and the server came up and said, hey, there's a twenty percent service charge already, so the tip is taken care of. Because I had this discussion. I was at the Gordon Ramsay restaurant in Washington, d C. It had the twenty percent charge on there, and I asked the question, do you tip on not I've gotten I've spent a fair amount of time googling this. There is no agreement on this whatsoever among people who work at restaurants. Don't work at restaurants. People that are regular goers to nice restaurants. Now, by law, if it says we've added to twenty percent gratuity, they have to share that with the people. But if it just says twenty percent service charge, I might just go to the restaurant in some cases, and you got a tip on top of that. Obviously, if that's going to the restaurant and I tipped twenty percent on top of it, you've added forty percent to my meal.
Speaker 3: And I ain't eating here under any circumstances.
Speaker 1: I don't care how big your food is, right unless you're going to serve me a stake for eleven dollars and go ahead and heep another forty percent on top of that. But that is not happening right. On another topic, the jack you were railing yesterday about Biden on a week's notice giving the entire federal workforce Thursday off to more in the passing of Jimmy Carter, who's God bless him, been in Heavens waiting room for now several years.
Speaker 5: I know he can't explain anything at this point, but a younger Joe Biden explain to me why federal workers get the day off and taxpayers go to work to honor Jimmy Carter.
Speaker 3: I mean, what's the theory behind that?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Two notes on that. Number One Kevin from Plasterville with a great point. Hey, big freedom is simple, Jack. You discussed Biden's right. My issue with it isn't the cost is we will be paying for those workers, whether they're at work or not. No, my issues My issue is with what this action reveals about what those workers were doing such that a pop up holity like this even makes sense or is even possible. Imagine your local mom and pop small business learning all their workers would be out sick one day next week.
Speaker 3: No way. Yeah, let be a.
Speaker 1: Major financial hardship. Losing even one day's revenue in a month could put them under Even for a larger business, it would be an issue. Imagine the CEO of home Depot announced they'll be closed next Thursday. Bet the CEO is fired by the board before the end of the day Friday. You see the point, and you won't be able to make any You won't be able to see any difference in all in what the federal government accomplishes.
Speaker 2: Isn't that revealing? Doge can't come soon enough?
Speaker 5: I got a Jimmy Carter nugget. I will park the car and get back to here in a little bit.
Speaker 1: Stop saying that, and then Rich in Groton, Connecticut says, can you let Jack know that if he wants to take Thursday off for morning the president, and he has my permission last time I checked, you guys aren't hourly and you're not going to get docked if you miss Thursday from the radio ranch.
Speaker 2: True.
Speaker 1: Then he says, meanwhile, I'm going to let some members of my crew off. But seeing how I work in a field in which we rotate a third of the crew to be on watch twenty four seven three sixty five, I can only do so much. He is in a military type profession. Then he says, and I don't this is okay. I agree with you guys. The federal government's too bloated. People get away with essentially doing nothing. When you go on your rants about all the time off we get. The military hears you. And for me, I'm listening to two guys complaining about how cold or hot it is in the studio hidden behind the veneer of a microphone and ragging about how much time I get off. I'll remember that next time I'm deployed over Christmas, or I have to help my buddy because he just missed the birth of his child overseas.
Speaker 5: I don't think when we talk about federal employees working, we're talking about the military.
Speaker 3: That's not what's in my mind.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Rich, somebody sitting at a desk who's doing nothing of any good whatsoever.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Rich, I will tell you this, my friend.
Speaker 1: First of all, you're right, I mean in what you're saying, certainly saying about the military. But if you think when we rail against government workers we're talking about active duty military, you don't know us very well.
Speaker 3: That's not what anybody's talking about when they talk about.
Speaker 2: Go No, Rich, come on, buddy.
Speaker 1: And then I went to the trouble of looking it up when you include state and county governments, and there are twenty four million government workers in the United States, twenty four million. There are one point three million active duty military.
Speaker 2: When we say.
Speaker 1: Government workers, we're not talking about freaking active duty military.
Speaker 2: Obviously, that is a category all its own.
Speaker 1: And I will take off my glove and slap you on both sides of your face for daring.
Speaker 2: To suggest otherwise. I agree with you, But come on, that's just hurtful, dude.
Speaker 5: So I'm not a hater of Jimmy Carter. I didn't like his policies, but seemed like a nice.
Speaker 1: Guy, incredibly misguided, and he really interfered with American foreign policy post office. Someday I'll bore you with the details, but it was way out of line, way way.
Speaker 2: Way out of line.
Speaker 5: Really a low point for our country though that period, having I would live through it as a child, just so much about it. So you had Nixon and Watergate, so that was, you know, obviously rough to find out your president could do that sort of stuff. And then whatever was going on in the nation that Jimmy Carter kind of symbolized.
Speaker 3: It was the beginning of men being wooses.
Speaker 5: Became very popular for like your actors, singers to be very woosy, androgynous, feminine types. And if you're not old enough, you don't know that this is when it really started.
Speaker 1: And traditional masculinity was shamed, which is the other side that.
Speaker 3: Called singers actors. That sort of stuff got very feminine.
Speaker 5: There's so much like soft rock that was like the limpest must There's no way you could possibly ever get an erection listen to those songs.
Speaker 3: I mean, it was just it just sucked the man.
Speaker 2: Listening to.
Speaker 3: Their own our our our cars were awful.
Speaker 5: I mean, just horrible pieces of crap, starting like in the late seventies, and then Jimmy Carter gave his famous Malaise speech they call it, even though he never used the word malaise, but the country was in a malays and he's he sat there and talked about turning your thermostat up and sitting in a cold house in the in the winter, in a hot house in the summer, and pay Laura bills. And the actual term that he used was the age of limits and how we all need to have more limits on the various things that we do. But it was really a hey, the good times are over, you have we all have to live kind of sad lives from here on out speech. Actually watched the speech the day after he died, UH to revisit it and just how how did we get that far off track? Just in just in kind of just we lost our mojo as a country. Oh yeah, did that happen again under Biden? Is one of my questions, UH might have.
Speaker 1: Was heading in that direction, I would agree, I mean, in the wake of Vietnam and then Watergate and race riots and assassinations and crappy economy, the Arab boil and bargo, the gas crisis, rampant inflation. We were down and out.
Speaker 2: We were, you.
Speaker 1: Know, we were sleeping outside the bus station, living rough as a country.
Speaker 5: I had one of the museums in DC, at the Smithsonian, they had a picture of Carter with the fifty five mile an hour sign. Harry was smiling the age of limits. We're only going to drive fifty five miles an hour on interstates. And they had one of the old speedometers from cars back then. The speedometers back then only went up to eighty five to try and encourage you to drive slower.
Speaker 2: I mean, just one federal mandated woosey ah. I hate that whole thing.
Speaker 1: Well, and again, Carter's leadership style, which Jack can attest to having watched the speech, was yes, things are crappy, they will be crappy.
Speaker 2: We're crappy. I'm crappy. Let's I'll be crappy.
Speaker 1: And then Reagan came on and he's like, no way, we're a great country. Let's turn this bitch around. And you know what, the bitch was turned.
Speaker 3: Now that's the famous turn this bitch around speech that we've all heard.
Speaker 5: Right, we will finish strong next We're talking to Ian Bremer tomorrow after the show. And Ian Bremer puts out his risks lists every year and we always enjoy.
Speaker 3: Talking about it. Was it last year or the year before that?
Speaker 5: One of his risks slash predictions was the explosion of AI. I don't know if he feels like that came true or not, but it is going to in the future.
Speaker 3: Anyway.
Speaker 5: It reminds me. I heard from somebody yesterday. I wish I didn't have to be this vague. I wish I wish I could have I wish I could play the video they sent me or have them on the air to describe this. It was someone with a group of men well apparently are single, talking about how much they like the chat GPT female relationships in completely sincere tones. I mean then this person was blown away, like they called to tell me about it.
Speaker 3: I just got out of a meaning it's.
Speaker 5: Unbelievable, like really regular assault of the earth people too, not talking about we're talking about I got to be so vague, but like very very normal crowd. Uh yeah, and uh who were super into the chat GPT. Oh the voice is so soothing and you know they're always there for me and we have conversations and and uh and and I missed them when we're when we when we don't talk, and I can't wait to get home and you know, have another conversation and all that sort of stuff. And they were just blown.
Speaker 3: Away by the bye, by the fact that there was there was a group.
Speaker 2: Of them.
Speaker 3: In in in.
Speaker 5: Not the kind of world I would have expected it would latch onto.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think we're tracking with you.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, wow. And whatever it is now, it's gonna be a thousand times better by June.
Speaker 2: Quote unquote better. Sure, yeah, more effective.
Speaker 1: I certainly care about the future because I have kids and someday grandkids, I think, but I hope. But if you want to know who's going to be running the world, not in twenty years, but in like a hundred years, don't look at who's got bombs, look at who's making babies, oh untos. People will run the world in terms of the culture, well right, and just running the world. That's who will be on the world.
Speaker 2: Sure. People who have babies, yeah, And.
Speaker 1: People who are getting with porn and chat GPT aren't having babies.
Speaker 3: They are not, And that's gonna that's that's going the wrong way. No, doubt Jack, you Clark, GISs time.
Speaker 2: Stop.
Speaker 8: Jack and Joe They've got go and if they don't give cane, they'll be bats tomorrow.
Speaker 3: Here's your host for final thoughts, Joe Getty.
Speaker 1: Let's get a final thought from everybody on the crew to wrap up the show for the day. There is our technical director to lead us off, Michaelangelow.
Speaker 2: Michael, I am the luckiest guy in the world.
Speaker 9: One of our cats, says now, got a habit of as soon as I wake up, he mows lays down unless we rub his belly purs pets. It is the greatest way to start your day. Is very first thing I do each morning.
Speaker 5: Fantastic. I had no idea where that sentence was gone.
Speaker 2: I trade there's going to be peanut burn falls. Oh my god, I'm not a cat.
Speaker 1: Katie Green as a final thought for us, if she can recover, Katie.
Speaker 7: I'm gonna recover and just say, I'm very grateful for all of our firefighters handling this situation ins out in California.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I hope you guys are safe.
Speaker 5: Jack a final thought, Yeah, I was thinking about that whole thing with people getting into relationships with chat GPT people. I feel like I want to try it, but I'm almost scared to because I just to learn about it. What if I like it? What if I try it and like it? Think, you know what, this is a kind of scratching me where.
Speaker 3: I mentioned and and it's uh, you know, it ain't gonna cost me anything.
Speaker 1: Oh boy, speaking of babies and that sort of thing. Most dangerous thing to be in the world is the world's oldest person. Tamika Utuka died last Sunday at the age of one hundred and sixteen. Japanese woman born in May of eight, lived through twenty one American presidencies.
Speaker 2: She was married for fifty one years and a widow for forty five.
Speaker 3: Wow, who's killing the oldest people in the world off?
Speaker 5: Because they always got Armstrong and Getty wronging up another grueling four hour work day.
Speaker 1: So many people, thanks so a little time. Go to armstrong a gedtdy dot com, pick up some ang swag, drop us notes there's something we ought to be talking about. Send it along.
Speaker 2: Mail bag at Armstrong and getty dot com. The hot links are hotter than ever.
Speaker 3: World keep spinning. We'll have plenty of news for you tomorrow.
Speaker 5: God bless America.
Speaker 2: I'm strong and Getti the country is on edge. I mean, if anyone think that's bonker, it's like, well, lighting up, Francis, it's true, are you?
Speaker 3: And you know?
Speaker 2: We really need to pace ourselves if we're going to freak out.
Speaker 9: We also need to be stronger together by overcoming an addiction to divisiveness and negativity.
Speaker 2: Shut up, Thank you very much, appreciate it. And that high note. The chair declares this joint Session dissolved.
Speaker 1: Thank you, But why Armstrong and Getty