Speaker 1: R and B Money. Honey, we are.
Speaker 2: Thanks take valoti.
Speaker 3: We are the authority on all things.
Speaker 2: R and B.
Speaker 4: Ladies and gentlemen. My name is Tank and this is the R and.
Speaker 3: B Money Podcast, the authority.
Speaker 2: On all things R and B. Yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, you wanna be happy. Yeah, you gotta be happy.
Speaker 2: Let's get into the thick of it. Boss. We're talking nineties R and B. What huh a guy? The ship is missing?
Speaker 3: Yeah today that we are still trying to capture and cancelate. Yeah in today's time, in twenty twenty four, perfect word missing, missing, they're missing you sing you ship?
Speaker 6: Yeah, good to be here.
Speaker 2: I'm starting off like this. There was a guy by the name of Greg Baker.
Speaker 3: If you know Greg Baker. You know Greg Baker? Oh yeah, Greg Baker was trying to recruit me out the church to sing R and B music. Say word absolutely. At that time he's working your record, touched me, tease me in.
Speaker 6: D C New Greg's is high school no way ge wiz brother from Heavy Dan and Boys.
Speaker 3: So you know how smoking hot you was in the d m V you were on five. Yeah, yeah, it was lovely. It's a lovely time. I know you reap said the benefits Chocolate City Boy to listen, because I'm there. You were the recruiting tool.
Speaker 4: Listen to this.
Speaker 2: You two can beat this.
Speaker 6: Let's get it.
Speaker 2: You too can touch me, tease me.
Speaker 7: I was like, but the Lord, the Lord doesn't want me to touch and tse these ladies.
Speaker 2: He wants me to pray, touch and the greed with these ladies.
Speaker 3: And I wouldn't go. But I remember that moment like it was yesterday. Yeah great, and he was listening. You were the selling point. He's like, you don't you want this ship like this?
Speaker 2: And you were it?
Speaker 3: Yeah, chilling. It was popping to DC. And then a year later I decided to do R and B. Come on usmcliff and Jerry, and he got mad. He saw me saying, now you're doing R and B.
Speaker 6: I'm trying to yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, but.
Speaker 2: That's but that's but that's been my nigga ever since.
Speaker 3: We always talked about that story, man, And since day one, Bro, since day one meeting you like you're ship, I've never heard anything anybody said anything bad about case Bro.
Speaker 6: I've never yeah, because I just try to stay out the way, don't talk about people, don't get in the state of myself. I do what I do, I show love and I get loved back.
Speaker 2: I always show love.
Speaker 6: I always show love, always always got you got.
Speaker 3: It and listen and we'll get into that because we're gonna we want to go in chronological order. But you went toe to toe with Joe. Yeah, let's want to throw that out there. Yeah, it's funny story behind that too.
Speaker 2: That ain't that? Ain't We're gonna get to that.
Speaker 3: Yea, We're gonna get to that. Yeah, Yeah, I just want to throw that out there. You were toe to toe with Joe. Yeah, yeah, ain't got to it.
Speaker 2: All right, Let's go back Joe, Case, Where does.
Speaker 6: This all start? Where does this all begin? How do you become Case Man? They started when I was a little kid. I got pictures when I was like two three years old, performing for company.
Speaker 4: My grandmother.
Speaker 6: Her thing was all her grandkids had to know everything by Ray Charles and everything by James Brown or he was getting out nowhere. You had to, Yeah, you had you had to. Okay, even if you couldn't sing or dance, you better know these songs. And she would have company. She would throw the best parties and we would have to perform. My grandfather had the Ellis stereo system, took up the whole wall, the microphone plugged in. We used to have to do concerts for company. And so that's when it started because and my pops was a singer. He used to be in Cameo back when I was a baby. It was called East Coast. Then my dad, we're your father was in cameo. Yeah, but they weren't Cameo at it. They were called East Coast because you're from New York. Yeah, they were called East Coast where they signed then or they were No, they weren't signed. They were still on the come up. And then my mom's got pregnant. It was like, so either you keep running around on the road or you get a job and take care of his kid.
Speaker 4: So he got a job.
Speaker 2: But so he never got the same word up.
Speaker 6: He never Yeah, he never got to say none of that. He never got to wear the cap.
Speaker 2: You don't want to wear that man? Yeah? Yeah, yeah, so it's your fut I.
Speaker 6: Know that's crazy, right, I hope I tried. I tried. I tried, my best I tried the bet. And so he would always just be singing. He'd be like, come sing with me, so we'd be singing, and so it was always music in the house. It was always That's why I don't know how to play cards, because when the rest of my cousins was learning how to play cards, I was in the old records.
Speaker 3: When did it make sense to you, like to where you or somebody was like, no, it's not just you know, young kid performing for company and not just the hobby like this, this could be serious.
Speaker 4: Well.
Speaker 6: I always wanted to make a record, but at that time you're talking about I was a teenager. It was like eighty forty five, eighty six. It was a dream. I had no idea how to go about it. What changed for me is I moved from Brooklyn. I grew up in Brooklyn, New York. We moved to Mount Vernon. When I got to Mount Vernon, I came out of school and there Heavy Diver was right there. We went to the same high school. He's right there, and it's when is money. Yeah, yes, he had a gold blazer that had Heavy on the window. So I'm like, so now it's real to me because back then all of the artists were older. It was like Kashief and Luther. But to see somebody young. I was like, wait, this is a little more real. Then I went to the door one day, I'll be sure was in there. So now I'm like, because we all went to the same high school's one high school in that in our town, so we all went to the same high school. I'm like, so I'm talking to him. I'm like, okay, now I see. And since they was popping that, everybody in the town is trying to do music. So now I find my way, like this one does music, this one does music. So now I found a way. Then Puff got in the door, and then it just it just kept rolling. And your first two your session is when I'll be sure. I used to run around al and he would like kind of teach me about songwriting and stuff. And he was working on his album Sexy Verses. So we're sitting there in the in the Hit Factory and he's right on.
Speaker 2: This is like this this is real history, this is real, this is real. I just want to throw out there, this is great.
Speaker 6: And I didn't realize that. So he's sitting there writing at the piece of paper.
Speaker 4: The track is playing.
Speaker 6: Vincent Herbert and Cayam Griffin had done They were still on the come up to so sitting there so I don't know. He was like huh. I'm like, yeah, look good. He's like, nah, go sing. I'm like sing what? It was no metaly with just words on the paper. He was like, I'm gonna start the track. Just go in there and sing whatever comes out. Mindra never sang in the studio.
Speaker 2: I'm like, how old are you at this one?
Speaker 6: Seventeen maybe eighteen?
Speaker 2: Still in high school? Or well.
Speaker 6: I got kicked out of high school. When I talk for that, they asked me to never come back. Oh you one of those Yeah yeah, And I respected their decision.
Speaker 3: I respect, like, yeah, I was a bit much get kicked out. Can't you guys do us why you got kicked out? There's a few things.
Speaker 6: Here was a build up. It was some of it was fighting. But I had this one special talent and security came to me one day he was like, yo, you be in school on time every day. You be here all day and don't go to a single class, but we never catch you in the hallway. I'm like, it's a talent.
Speaker 4: No way.
Speaker 6: So first period I was roam in the hallways. Second period I go in somebody study hall. Third period. I'm back in the hallways. I go to fourth, fifth and sixth period, lunch, seventh period.
Speaker 2: Were you doing three periods of lunch?
Speaker 6: Yeah, that's places, but I'm not eating. I'm just chilling. And we had the court yard. We had dice games and all type of stuff. It was a party for me because my parents were Jehovah witnesses, so it was really strict. So the only time I could be me was that school school because the kid gonna be a kid and I couldn't be a kid at home. So I'm like, all right, bet, And it was like, he's one of the smartest kids in the class.
Speaker 2: He just don't do shit.
Speaker 6: So they was like, yeah, you should probably. I showed up to this one class. It was I think it was English in May. School's over in June. So she's like, who you. I'm like, I'm like Case. So she's like, uh, I'm like, uh what Case said? You gotta drop from this class in November. Like okay, well, I'm gonna just go roam the hallways.
Speaker 4: That was her choice.
Speaker 5: I was in class, So that's how you made it make sense? Yeah, was her choice, But that's what I said. The case I got caught.
Speaker 2: Shepped the case. I got caught, she kicked me out.
Speaker 6: What was I to do?
Speaker 2: Did you graduate? Now? He got kid?
Speaker 6: They sent me to the alternative school and I wasn't going there. So you haven't graduated high school to this day, to this day. Fuck it, fuck it, I say, fuck.
Speaker 3: It, ladies out in the morning. The story, there's no real moral. I was gonna try to something this ship. You don't need some hit records. You need some hit records. Yeah, it's the only way to figure this ship out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, pretty much.
Speaker 6: Because I didn't have no plan B, because I don't believe in plan B. If you have a plan B, you set yourself up.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, that's what I always thought. So so what do you sing? When alb says single comes to mind?
Speaker 6: I went there singing nor More Freaking Women Friday night, two or three at a time, and I'm singing and he kept it on the song. He's it on the record. He didn't give me no publishing, but whatever I was, it was the experience. Yeah, funny part. It never occurred to me that he'd gave me published untilbout a year ago. Being he was talking, I'm like, hold up, and I said it as a joke.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, on my publishing taken the early nineties. Yeah, that's the thing. That's the thing. I think I got a I got a seven hundred and fifty dollars check for playing seven fifty on the live recording. But all the songs I helped, right, I was like, yeah, yeah, just come in.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's never come but y'all, let me tell you.
Speaker 3: So.
Speaker 6: I wrote the first song on US's first album. It's called Baby. You know that I get make it right?
Speaker 4: I co wrote that song. Right, Okay, you're still crispy too.
Speaker 2: He's just it's still christy. But yeah, I tried to. I see, it's a lot of us out there. You've seen it. You've seen it.
Speaker 6: Yeah, And so I'm like, so, now, my my girl at the time, she's pregnant. I need money. So I'm like, yo, I'm just selling my portion. They gave me a check for four thousand. I'm like, I'm rich, but yeah, that's that's but I sold that. So they gave me like four thousand worked for hire, Yeah, because I needed the money. She was pregnant and I had left my job, so something had to happen.
Speaker 2: Four thousand, four.
Speaker 6: Thousand, four thousand and wins. This is ninety three. You're trying to put it three ninety three.
Speaker 2: What it really means right now?
Speaker 3: Withig I was thinking eleventh grade, like four thousand three. Yeah, how many pair of guest jeans? Nigga, the guest jeans at that time. If you go to the outlet, Yeah, you know what I'm saying that the hockey jerseys, they was up about twenty some.
Speaker 2: Dollars for the guests. Jesus answered, what did he buy? What his thousand? You didn't give it all to the kid? I know you didn't do You didn't know. No, he wasn't born yet. He wasn't born yet.
Speaker 6: In all, in all fairness, most of this, yeah, I'm just using this to further the enterprise, right yeah, yeah, this for us.
Speaker 5: So you from the from working with LB now you've started to become a songwriter.
Speaker 6: Yeah, because he's teaching me structure and lyrics and arrangements and stuff, which is which I didn't realize that I had no idea, you know what I mean. I just I would write songs. And how I started writing songs. I would write songs to the melody of other songs that I liked, and that's how it really got started writing. But he was teaching me about structure and how to put them together and how to make it make sense. And there's certain stuff that's so good that Al has written on that you don't even I bet you, I don't even realize that. The second verse for fam My Lady, don't rhyme. Never thought about that.
Speaker 2: It's so dope that you don't realize it.
Speaker 3: Don't rhyn there's no mean what we do, and it does keep doing the next line to me, life would happened, no mean, And I pray that you always.
Speaker 6: Stayed with me the whole second the whole second part, don't rhyme at all. But it's so good good, And that's what he told me. He was like, it don't matter, just make it good. That whole that whole second part of that second verse, don't come.
Speaker 4: Close to rhynd me.
Speaker 6: But you never noticed that because it's so good. It's so good, it's so good thing, so good. Yes, everything about it is so good that that never enters your mind. Or Goodbye love. You don't know what's the chorus for goodbye love guy, Because it's so good.
Speaker 2: I feel like that's the course, which is at the end of the song. You just said you never leave me. I said, that's not the curus.
Speaker 6: The chorus don't come to the end of the song after the bridge, after the bridge is good bye. That's the curse. The chorus don't come to the end of the song.
Speaker 4: Wow, I'll be sure. No, that was that was Aaron. Aaron wrote, that got it.
Speaker 6: But what I was teaching me was just to like you said, it don't always have to rhyme, and just about what you're saying and the melody structure. Melody is king was the first that he would always say, because babies know the ABC song. They don't know the ABC's, but they know that melody absolutely, So He's like, melody, melody is way more important. But then he also was saying stuff, so he was like, but you need to be saying something.
Speaker 2: So songwriting one on one, and I was I would just stay.
Speaker 6: I'd be sitting in there why he's writing songs, like just learning, just seeing what he's doing and how he's putting it together and how he's and I'm just sitting there. I'm like eighteen, I'm just sitting on there.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 2: The Hit Factor had that little ledge.
Speaker 6: I'm sitting there just chilling, being quiet, so nobody will notice I'm still here.
Speaker 5: H So, are you signed to him or anything? He just he was like that, it's my young homie from Mount Vernon.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it was just that I'm put him on yep and Jojo brim being him with the best friends.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, he just landed.
Speaker 6: Actually yeah, but he we've been best friends since we was about eighteen, and so they were they were best friends and that's how I got in with Al. And he was like, yeah, you know we're gonna die together. You know that's ours think we're gonna die together.
Speaker 4: He was like, yo, I got you, I got you, I.
Speaker 6: Got myna teach you. So I just sat there and just soaked it up.
Speaker 5: How many years are you with him? Just working and writing? And are you singing? You singing?
Speaker 2: You singing? So obviously you singing on the demos too.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I'm sing references. I gotta I got a reference in my phone from nineteen ninety one. It's me my homeboy, Brian and Dave Hollister to a song that Kyle West produced and Al ro Dope Man. So we singing references legends. Yeah, we singing references. That's Casey and Jojo and Dave Hollis that was doing references too. At the same time they was, they were doing references for Tevin Campbell. We were just all. He had a bunch of singers that he would have do references for him, and that was us. It was me, Casey and Jojo, Dave Hollis, it was a whole team. He had my man t O Cross, he had all of us just doing stuff. So we all learned from him.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's crazy.
Speaker 4: Yeah, did you know Jonathan Hall? No, who's that? Okay he's from He's from Jersey.
Speaker 6: Oh no, no, no, no, okay, okay, okay.
Speaker 5: So at this point when you're when you're doing you're doing demos, you're right and you singing background, you're doing everything you possibly can in business. Are you actively pushing toward a solo career?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 6: Actually it was me and a good friend of mine, Little Bee. We were a duo called Black and we went up to Uptown and Jimmy Jenkins said he was gonna sign us. He loved us, and it never happened, of course, And then a few months later there was a group that was we were in the same management group called La Day and one of the members of La Day got kicked out as a four man group and they wanted me and Brian to join Lo Day. So Brian came to me. They already had a deal. So Brian was like, Yo, I'm broke. You broke you wanted to I'm like nah. He's like, well, would you be mad if I did? I'm like, nah, do your thing?
Speaker 2: No hert. We spoke the other day for three hours.
Speaker 6: That's my man. I'm like, nah, you know, hard feelings, do your thing. And it's at that moment I'm like, Okay, I'm just gonna do it by myself.
Speaker 2: So that's how you becoming.
Speaker 6: That's how it became a solart because I was always trying to be in a group for some reason, because I love Commission and Guy and got there, so I wanted to be in a group, you know what I'm saying. So it never occurred to me to go solo. So what's your first move? Now you solo?
Speaker 4: What are you doing?
Speaker 5: Ah?
Speaker 6: What am I doing? Still recording just demos? And I think it was uh Dom? What's is doms? And he passed away recently to exoty Dom. He used to work a uptown. He was like, y'all wrote a song for you, and he took me to Kyle west House, who's our's cousin. It's called all Right and if we demoed it, I'm like, and we to this day, people talk about this, so it was dope. I'm like, yeah, did a song with Kyle West I'm playing for every right on the cassette. And from there, I just kept trying, kept trying. And then me and Mysa Lisa Hilton, we went to high school together and so we were friends from all. Yeah, we all from and it's one high school. It's four square miles. Half of that is white people, so the other half is two square miles of us and it's one high school. So everybody knows everybody. And she's like, yeah, you know, I know that you're trying to do whatever. I want to help you, because she was like, I see you know your good father to your son, and I like family men and this and that. So she gets faith evidence to write a song for me called Don't be Afraid.
Speaker 2: Crazy Drops. This is so crazy, you gots we gotta keep the track of that.
Speaker 3: We just ticker every time a legendary name is drug.
Speaker 2: So she wrote a song called Don't Be Afraid.
Speaker 6: I had signed with this guy, Kenny Smooth, who was signed to Eddie f for Touchable Untouchable. Yeah, so it's all connected, you know what I mean? And then Russell was Russell and Leo were looking for They was like they wanted the R and B singer like d m X. I'm like, this is Leo's words, I swear. He was like, would the R and B singer that? When he finished, you get off the stage and fucking rob you Like, I don't know about that, but okay, I see what you mean.
Speaker 2: I mean, you did get kicked out of school.
Speaker 6: I didn't rob nobody, not in high school, but you could have used it. No, I got what him men, I'm like, I got you. So I stole somebody's desk he signed, Yeah, so this is me.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 2: Russell heard it. He loved it. He was like, yeah, I'm signing.
Speaker 6: And the funny part, I'm the last artist that Russell personally signed to death jam l was the first ever in the last ever oh shit, wow, yeah, the last artist yep.
Speaker 5: So did you come with the record, because obviously you were already working with Kenny smooth Right who produced Touched Me tas Right.
Speaker 6: Well, all we have was Don't be Afraid. Don't Be Afraid. It was supposed to be the first single, that was setting stone for I signed my deal in like March of ninety five, all the way up to we didn't do Touch Me, Tease Me till Christmas Eve of ninety five. Why did they let Russell hear it? He's like, scrap everything. That's the first single. I'm like, y'all just messed up, that's what you're thinking. Yeah, y'all messed up because it was a better It was a bigger record than Don't Be Afraid was ever going to be.
Speaker 4: Okay, that's why you don't.
Speaker 6: Let him hear that now, because for the past year that was the play Don't be Afraid, and then we'll have something else. That was the something else. They let Russell here it, and so that ends up being the first single, and you're not changing Russell's mind.
Speaker 2: You can maybe you're not changing if you play me, touch Me, Tease Me, you're not changed. I'm like, why would you play it for him? So you wanted a set up? Yeah, yeah, definitely, okay, But.
Speaker 5: Okay, now in hindsight, in hindsight, and obviously this was a different time than the music businesses.
Speaker 2: Now where you need to put your best foot forward.
Speaker 5: This was a time where people had set up records, get people, go and get the interest.
Speaker 2: So is that how you're thinking of it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, instead of listen, I got a smash in the world needs to hear the smash the smash.
Speaker 6: Yeah, let me tell you. I can't pick a up temper record to save my life. I could pick a ballot in my sleep. What I went by was everybody else's reaction.
Speaker 2: This is dope.
Speaker 6: They're like, you create them, Like, okay, this is dope. So no, I didn't know everybody else's reaction, and I keep a bunch of no people around me. I don't mess with yes people. When all of no people are saying hell yeah, that's what made me know it was a smash, right, But I'm like, don't put because here's the thing. They wanted to put it on the soundtrack, and that's what Russell said. This is going on one hundred million dollars soundtrack. So what ended up happening is Touch Me, Teach Me went platinum. The soundtrack went platinum. But now when my album comes. Nobody's buying an album because it touched me. TV really shot out load. They already have it, and that was the problem that was, that was the problem that I had. I saw that one coming.
Speaker 4: Right, so.
Speaker 2: Kind of a good problem. Yeah, it's definitely that. It's definitely a good problem in hindsight.
Speaker 6: But at the time, I'm like, damn, we might have just messed up because in my mind, I'm like, I don't know how many shots i'mnna get at this, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 3: Well, And also at that time, like you know, when you're when you're in it at the moment, you don't know that you're making generational records right right. You don't know that you have a record that is now going to be played in clubs.
Speaker 6: Every party four yeah, every party.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 6: I had no idea. I had no idea if it was even good or not. I had to ask people, So did you know Foxy already?
Speaker 4: No.
Speaker 6: What happened was we were trying to we had the record done and we did a Christmas like I said, and we was like we need a rapper. He was like, let's get a female rapper. So He's like, left eye, Nah, Lauren Hill. Nah, little Kim went through the whole lesson. Then somebody was like, yo, Foxy And this is when a Shatcha came out and she was starting a bubbles like yo, she's right on our label. Nobody thought of that, called that. She came in did it one night?
Speaker 4: She went crazy?
Speaker 2: Yeah, she was crazy. She killed that record too.
Speaker 6: I got a picture of me and her in the booth. I got a forty of Saint eyes in my head. Yeah, I had a forty eyes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I guess so it was just what I guess, it makes sense.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it's a picture of us in the studio in the I got a forty of Sayan eyes and we was laughing about something. But yeah, that's how we end up getting Foxy because we was like, we need a we need a female rapper, and we're just trying to figure out who right.
Speaker 3: Give me because at that time, like promo tour was a thing, right, Yeah, to put you on a promo tour and then you get to watch the audience build. If you have that kind of record, you get to see it go from seventy five people to seventy five hundred.
Speaker 4: Give me that.
Speaker 3: That layout in terms of you get on that first van and go do your first.
Speaker 6: Well, my first promo tour wasn't like that. The second one was the first my first promo tour. They had an event. They had a remember the briefcase from the beginning to touch Me Teach Me video. Yeah, okay, so they had the briefcase and it was filled with money and they had it was intimate clubs up and down the up and down the East Coast, and there was a contest and the winner, whoever's key opened it, won the money. Okay, So the audience didn't really build because the record was a hit and it was it was real intimate, so it wasn't really shows. And I would sing touch Me, Teach Me and only touch Me teach Me until I got to Atlanta. We get to Atlanta because Kevin I was like Noah, only saying touch me. Nobody wants to hear a bunch of records they don't know, so I'm like, okay, he knows better than me. So it's me and Foxy Wing in Atlanta, pulling up. It's so packed that there's cars parked on the highway and people is walking from the highway to the club. It's a jam packed, so were in the back. I'm like, y, you're about to get busy. We go out on the dance floor and Foxy almost slipped. Somebody spilled beer, so stop the music. We go in the back while they get it cleaned up. Go back out. Now it feels like we're still on ice. So we performed We Stand in One Spot. DJ plays the wrong version. He plays the version of touching me, tease me without Foxy, so she did her second verse, but first verse was all messed up, and he told me don't sing any other records.
Speaker 2: So I'm like, okay, good night.
Speaker 4: It was like.
Speaker 6: Boo, I'm like I called that Jay. I'm like, yeah, from now on, I'm doing what I want. And the next show is in Detroit, and I did a whole show. People's like I was in Atlanta. How come you didn't do that? I'm like listening to somebody else. So my first promo tour wasn't really like what you' The second one was like that, But the first one wasn't like that. It was real intimate.
Speaker 3: So by the time it got to the second one, you was they they was packing it up for y'allready.
Speaker 6: No, not really, because this was the thing, and I feed off of people not believing in me. I don't know why more than our feed off of people believing it. And the knock on me was, yeah, he can't really sing because touch me teaching. Anybody could sing that, and I agree. And so when it came time to do the second album, Keith Al was in Leo's office.
Speaker 2: He played Faded Pictures and.
Speaker 6: He was like, yeah, Joe, this is Joe's record, but he wants to do it as a duet. So Leo was like, what about Case. Yeah, Case can't really sing. I had just recorded Happily of After, so he was like, Kathy, bring that fucking Case record in here. So he plays it and then he calls me in there. So I'm standing there. I'm like, what's up. He's like, just sit down, you little motherfucker. So I'm sitting there and he's playing Happily of After. Keith I was like, oh, yeah, never mind. He's like, what you're doing this song with Joe, And that's how we ended up doing it. So they weren't packing it out because it wasn't there yet, you know what I mean. And the first single from the next album was Faded pictures, so I had to kind of build that up and that so.
Speaker 2: Was faded pictures of soundtrack record too.
Speaker 6: He was on rush out.
Speaker 5: Because I noticed that, like you were, in my opinion, kind of the king of the soundtracks.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, all your songs on the sound.
Speaker 5: Depth cham they those were those were all controlled by all these soundtracks were controlled back then by depth jam and it seemed like that's how they were launching all of your music.
Speaker 6: Yeah, because what people don't realize is that when you do it on the movie soundtrack, the movie company pays half of these half of.
Speaker 2: Them all half talking about the business and so yeah.
Speaker 6: So I'm like, okay, if I can spend half the money for the promotion, sure you can put it on the soundtrack. The downside to that is, like I said, from they're buying it from the soundtracks. So unless you got something else coming, you're gonna be kind of asked out. The soundtrack is going to sell and then when you drop yours and that, and I learned that from the first time, So I made sure it didn't happen the second time.
Speaker 5: What do you mean you you made sure it didn't happen the second time as far as because you said it having something to you had another record, right, yeah, I had it.
Speaker 6: I haven't locked and loaded this time, Okay, yeah. And that was Happily of After ye.
Speaker 5: Because we jumping because he said that you're gonna give us a story about this this you know this this Joe thing man and y'all rocking again.
Speaker 2: That that's that was it.
Speaker 6: He was like, yeah, you can't really saying this and that, and then he played Happily of After. I mean, yeah, happily of after. He was like, okay, yeah, never mind, and then we end up doing the record.
Speaker 2: Because who produced happily after Joe? Christ Hendon produced Happily ever After?
Speaker 6: Yeah, Christina, Yeah, but but Joe because we we love Joe here, yes, we all love that's my guy.
Speaker 2: The experience of did y'all even know each other yet?
Speaker 6: No, I actually don't think we had ever met at that time.
Speaker 5: But this wasn't the age of I'm gonna send you the m P three and we got you gotta get in this, you gotta get in the studio.
Speaker 6: And the first night we got in the studio, I bought a bunch of okay, somebody bought a bunch of strippers.
Speaker 2: You just said you. I didn't say that.
Speaker 1: Ahead you think the drugs you're looking for him?
Speaker 2: I hit you tonight?
Speaker 6: Do you think I said that?
Speaker 2: Okay?
Speaker 5: So the strippers somehow they appeared, okay, faded pictures, yes, okay.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah it was that.
Speaker 6: It was a different time, right. So we got a dice. So then Joe got a somebody brought an envelope of money. He had like ten thousands. So I pull out the dice. So we got a dice game game. He takes all my money.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 6: So now I'm like, nah, I'm putting up jewelry. And it was like, yo, this game is over. So then the session is getting done whatever, and at the end said the death day was like, you guys sound drunk, Like I don't know why that is, but okay, So then we went back like two nights later. Yeah, so then I go we go back like two day later.
Speaker 2: We knock it out. It was fine. So so y'all had to sing that twice?
Speaker 6: Yeah, well I had to sing all of mine. His parts was pretty much done except for the new stuff that we added. Yeah, yeah, we gotta do it again. But it was it was fun.
Speaker 2: It was fun. This is the R and B stories. We love those days.
Speaker 4: Man, when somebody showed up with a bunch of strippers.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's crazy.
Speaker 3: Some dice and some you got to die. Yeah yeah, yeah had some. I didn't know you got that. Like, man, listen, I'm move a little dice in my time. I learned from you know, I can stituent here.
Speaker 2: I stopped. I stopped with me attached to my keys. I learned my lesson. No, no, no, no, we got rid of Yeah.
Speaker 6: Yeah, you had the trick dice.
Speaker 3: No not see look what you're no, they're not trick dice. He just he just don't see this niggas lucky.
Speaker 2: I just don't play fifteen thousands of years ago. You know, you know he waiting on the song.
Speaker 3: This man is waiting on the life changes, taking his money in his pockets, in his pockets.
Speaker 2: He was just kind of man.
Speaker 6: Oh yeah, we was trying to pass the time when it passed, was trying to pass be mad.
Speaker 2: I was mad as hell. I know that feeling.
Speaker 6: You're like, I don't even want sing this ship.
Speaker 4: But it all back with the hit record.
Speaker 6: Yeah that makes sense now, and it makes sense that night.
Speaker 2: It's that night.
Speaker 6: I'm like, well, I'll never forget you for the ship.
Speaker 2: So that night you mad as hell.
Speaker 4: What is your first tour?
Speaker 6: First tour was me, Drew Hill, Faith Evans, a man and total I was cooking And that was the tour that I And that was I had my tour bus, had my whole album cover on. Of course, I was like, course, I got pictures up in my pharm. I was like, man, look at this. You had a little yellow, yellow camera. So that was the tour win because Happily of After was out. So I remember the first show was in DC at Constitution Hall.
Speaker 4: Come on.
Speaker 6: So I get on stage and everybody knew faded pictures and touched me, tease me. When Happily After came, they sat there. It was like two people clapped. They sat and when I hit the long note literally then when I hit the long note, that then a bide clapped. When nobody got the seats. Second show, then the piano starts. It was like maybe fifty people clapped, A couple of people stood up. Everybody clapped when I hit the note by like the third fourth show. Soon as everybody stood I was like, oh shit, we got one. Yeah, that's that is curious. Yeah, I was like, Okay, we got something.
Speaker 5: I never forget Jojo playing me that record, and I spoke about it on another on another episode actually when music came because he also I also never forgot when him playing me love the first time. Now he used to pull up and just have smash like y'all just had smashes at this time.
Speaker 2: Bro, like these records were going say, and he's like, we got one. We got one.
Speaker 5: He was like, we got the wedding song of all time, the wedding song of all time, Nigga.
Speaker 2: I'm telling you. I'm telling you, I'm the problem. Chad.
Speaker 5: H'm Then I got that Nigga played happily ever after, and I was like, this ship is special.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I still do their wedding is to this day. It's crazy, right, even if you're not there. Yeah yeah, yeah, but you know it's crazy. When I when I first did my first interviews coming in the game, they'd be like, what do you want accomplish? It was never money awards. It always was I wanted to make music that because my parents were still listening to the old I'm like, I want to make music that when people get that age, they still want to hear it. That was That was my only goal because that then you live forever. When you make trendy stuff, you're not you're there, and there's some people that's going to reminisced over it. But when it's when it's classic and it's quality, they're gonna they're gonna remember it and they're always going to want to hear it. And that's what I wanted to do.
Speaker 2: You think you got some of them, but.
Speaker 3: I think, like, and just to add to what you're saying, like, it wasn't not trendy. It wasn't not for the time. It was just it was just very good music. Yeah, But there's a difference between for the time and trend Well, I mean it wasn't. It's hard to say because because in nineties and in nineties, I don't remember a lot of trendy music in the nineties.
Speaker 4: I remember in the nineties it was a lot of great in the yeah, a couple of ye.
Speaker 2: It was in between a lot less than Yeah.
Speaker 6: It was late.
Speaker 3: There was like if there was eighty percent eighty five percent quality music in the nineties, easy that is still play easy to this day, and I think that that was the trend.
Speaker 4: Yeah, in that time, was you gotta make some fires.
Speaker 2: I think a lot of us, I think a lot of us felt that way.
Speaker 3: That was the that was the now. Now today's trend is viral. He's got to make TikTok, right right, Yeah, But what I'm saying, I'm saying that to say like that.
Speaker 4: Was the trend.
Speaker 3: To be fly, to be fired, to have some substance to be around man, that was it. Yeah, people were signing that. Yeah, that's what they're looking for. What they was looking for, Where's where, where's the all timer? It's Clive Davis. Yeah, Yeah, that's what they're looking for.
Speaker 2: And that's why.
Speaker 6: But the music reflected that, you know what I mean, that's what the musicians and the music nigga.
Speaker 3: You got nigga nigga, y'all wasn't singing through no auto tune, through no like never heard of, never heard of it, y'all. Y'all was standing on business like sing nigga.
Speaker 2: You better say.
Speaker 6: That's what Uncle Charlie used to Come here, you better be singing, boy, keep gapping see every folk keep gapping baby here hang up.
Speaker 2: I mean at the end of the song he said, I can't sing no more. On the pict sang, oh boy, you know what I'm saying, like, because it wasn't about punching in.
Speaker 5: It wasn't about punching. It was about just full out singing. People don't realize probably how many times you had to sing.
Speaker 2: That song over and over.
Speaker 6: That night, they had to sing it twice.
Speaker 2: He just sang through.
Speaker 6: But because I was sick. I had before that whole week, I had laryngitis. I landed in La on Monday. It was like, we gotta do this song, missing you. I was like, all right, cool. I get here on Monday night. I don't know what happened. Tuesday, I can't sing, so I'm like, all right, push it to Wednesday. Wednesday, still can't sing. I'm drinking stuff all day.
Speaker 2: I still can't.
Speaker 6: No. No, this time, I honestly don't know what happened. It came out of nowhere. So now it's Wednesday night, I still can't sing. Thursday night, I started feeling better. I'm like, bet, let's make it for them arow. But then that night I go to the studio with Joab. We do living it up and then I go hang out afterwards man and I lost my voice again. But this time I can't talk. So today is like it is Friday. If we don't do it today, we can't do missing you. So I get to the studio. I'm like, I try.
Speaker 2: I've been drinking.
Speaker 6: I'm drinking everything all day. It's not working.
Speaker 2: So JoJo's with me.
Speaker 6: He was like, I'll talk to you. He's like yo, he don't have his voice. He's like, we're gonna do what we can. So he was like, Okay, can you go through it one time?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 6: So he puts it, puts it on and go through it the first time. He's like, you give me one more. I was like, So I get to the the end of the of the song and I felt it was I'm like I can't sing no more. And I'm like this, like I can't sing no more, babe. And then I stopped and so I go and I'm knocking on the window. They all in there like this. So I come out the booth and tap. I'm like it's still. I'm like, yeah, song, I'm like, I'm like, I can't talk no more.
Speaker 2: It was over.
Speaker 6: So that that was that it was really over. I mean the crazy probably both of them songs that nominated for Grammy.
Speaker 2: Bean say in the video.
Speaker 6: Yeah, but see, nobody knew who she was, didn't really they were they was new right right right now. It's a stroke of brilliance. Yeah, that was a stroke of brillids. But for me, we wanted we wanted somebody for the video. If you remember back then people had known people videos. He's like, who could we get like and that that's everybody was in somebody else's video. So I wanted somebody knew. So it's like Niel Long, No, she's in this. So we're going through the list. We're like, we got to figure out something. And I was in JoJo's office and BT, one of BT shows was on in the video with why Cleff came on. I'm like, who's that Zake, I don't know, we'll find out, go get her. And that's how it happened. So we called called down there. They wanted to hear the song, played the song and he's like, I bet she came up her her mom, Sa Pop, Solange and Kelly. Matter of fact, we had a three days shoot. It was cool as hell. Three day shoot, three days shoot, three days, three day shoot.
Speaker 3: I shot slowly, Yeah, for two and a half, two and a half spent on a slowly video about seven and eight hundred.
Speaker 6: Yeah, them long she spent happily ever after. I don't even know. I think it was about six something like that.
Speaker 4: You know, it was seven six.
Speaker 2: When I was talking about six thousands. It's about seven thousand talking about tape.
Speaker 6: Yeah, tape, nothing digital, it's all tape. Yeah, you gotta pay for the actual tape.
Speaker 4: The tape was running. Yeah, we blew up a building a whole bit.
Speaker 2: What do you mean?
Speaker 3: I was actually he was slowly, why would you blow up? Because I was saying, he wrote slowly, Yeah, we blew it up. We used the stunt men from the Matrix. Yeah, the actual stunt men almost cut my finger off with the wire, the hanging wire when I did my Ninja kick kicked I'm hanging med air j boutine in the middle of a warehouse.
Speaker 2: I was like to go listen to the lyrics so slowly yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah yeah, and didn't think about all the dumb shit f up this was going on. Don't lose her fingers slowly, that's fucked up. Take off this dedication that.
Speaker 1: Look at my hand is gone.
Speaker 2: You're gonna join in on this. It was a whole bunch of rolls.
Speaker 3: Yeah, right, cool, it was part of a reel, It was part of my real It all worked out, though, it works out, And.
Speaker 2: Now he wanted to know why he ain't never seen the royalty.
Speaker 3: Not for that.
Speaker 2: No, I'm saying, you know, I'm seeing royalties now.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 5: That's all the matters. Those days were just wow that you were like, it was normal, customary. Absolutely if you if your.
Speaker 6: Video wasn't at least a quarter million, they didn't care about you, right, And then it got to a point where people was trying to top each other.
Speaker 5: Right, once Missy came with the million dollars her and Buster rymes a million dollar videos.
Speaker 6: I remember I was on the set for Buster when he did the video with Janet Yeah, and we was like, say, yo, this video costs I think it was like two million and something crazy like wow, wow dollars two dollars dollars and I think touch Me Teach Me video only costs maybe maybe a hundred and Brett Ratner shot it. Brett Ratner was directed to Touch Me TV. It didn't cost it costs nothing because it was real simple, right, But yeah, we were spending money on it.
Speaker 2: In hindsight, that. I guess it didn't make too much sense, but it made so much sense at the time. But then this was part of making the star. Yeah, this is part of it.
Speaker 5: It's like we're making movie stars, making entertainers necessary. It's necessary.
Speaker 2: Cost that video move the needle. Yes, thanks to Michael Jackson.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, you had a fire video that could change the complexion of your song at radio and all of that, and just.
Speaker 6: In general, just for the consumer, because there isn't plenty of times I saw I heard a song and I was like, you see the video, Like, now, wait a minute, this is kind of right, you know what I'm saying that and that happened.
Speaker 2: That happens sometimes. So how was it being signed to rap label?
Speaker 5: Yeah, as an R and B R because yeah, you can say, okay, yeah, they was talking about the R and B d and makes it, but you're still an R and B singer at the end of the day.
Speaker 2: And this is historically very much so it was. It was.
Speaker 6: It has some trying times because the sensibilities between hip hop and especially a hardcore hip hop label and R and B. Sometime they didn't get it. Sometimes you can't really explain it to them. Other times they would listen to the people that they had in place that did get it. But there were there were definitely times when it was stuff that we I think, I feel like we should have did things that we could have done that didn't happen because they didn't get it.
Speaker 2: They didn't get it.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and that that's the only downside to something like.
Speaker 2: Did you did you find?
Speaker 5: You know because Tank talks about this because you kind of have one of those names too, even though your real name is actually Case, you have a name that is not R And you know what I'm saying, like, you don't know if Case is a rapper. You don't know if Cases are. So did you have that early on too, where they were putting you on these shows? It's esecially because your first record came with a rapper too. Yeah, well you're like the only R and B guy and it's you method man.
Speaker 6: And you know what I'm saying, like, well, yeah, because I think we did a lot of the nutty professor stuff together, so Me, Foxy, jay Z, State Property, all of all of them dudes, and it was it was the worst.
Speaker 2: I see.
Speaker 6: I remember one time we had a show in at the Paramount theater. You might have been there. It was Little Kim Biggie, somebody else, me and Aliyah, and I'm like, who did this? I'm it was probably like this is like ninety six okay, I'm like who did this? Like, I mean it was all rappers, like it might have been like Mob Deep. I'm like, who put me in the lee on this show?
Speaker 4: Yo?
Speaker 6: Like that? So it was a lot of that, like we would do like homecomings like Delaware State and stuff, and it's all them homecomings.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we did all the super wrapped out, super wrapped out. Like when I came in it was the Dirty South was well yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he was on the rise.
Speaker 5: So I'm in there with yin Yang Twins, Chris and Miracle because at least he was also singing touch Me Teach Me, which I didn't have a touch Me teach me.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I'm singing maybe I deserve I'm like this, Oh yeah, that's hard work.
Speaker 4: Who's going next you?
Speaker 6: Yeah, that's how it work.
Speaker 3: I just ran into one of the Yang Twins at the in Vegas the other day. He's like, what I think I used to kick my ass man? Yeah, but it was like my name was Tank, like you said, so like they wouldn't even listen to my record. The radio stations like, well, just send him down here and put them on this show, and then we'll think about putting his record in and I end up that's me and a little mull on all hip hop shows. At the worst show it was in the beginning, I hated it because it's like nobody's there for me at all, at all at all, Like, not only do they not know me, but who's the nigga singing?
Speaker 4: Why is the nigga singing? Read the room the nigga? But if the room was not a room for me.
Speaker 6: That happened to me in Philly one time at the Dell East. They put me on the show with the Whispers. So I'm looking out there, this is a whispers crowd, all my fans. We still yet they was way in the bag because they ain't have no jobs and stuff. Back we were still not join these. So I'm on stage just like pull your pasts up. So I'm like, okay, I'm performing there.
Speaker 2: Yelling from the crowd.
Speaker 6: Yeah it was the same dude. So the crowd is laughing, right, it's the same dude. He like where the whisp was at late. I'm like, stop the music. Though, I'm like, I don't know if y'all old asses got to go to work tomorrow whatever, but I ain't going nowhere. The whispers in the back somewhere. So I looked at my Bernard Bell God bless it dead.
Speaker 5: He was.
Speaker 6: He was my MD. I'm like, be you know what to do.
Speaker 2: So we went hard time. I was done, got to stand over age. By the time we got back to the hotel.
Speaker 6: I was on the news. B I'm like, dig go to whispers. I'm like, but I know that feeling of they didn't come for you, Like damn, I wish we got to make the show this long tonight, like you want to get up out of there.
Speaker 4: So I'm going to show in Baltimore. What ever I do.
Speaker 3: I'm like, here your show to everybody that's gonna be this is gonna be great. Hell yeah, come out there doing my aggressive R and B thing. I'm well coated in oil, done enough push ups to make this exciting and interest.
Speaker 2: It should be okay, should be okay.
Speaker 4: Shirt off.
Speaker 3: You just think it's all women. Everybody get a nigga. They are sitting in the audience.
Speaker 2: Like this, Oh, I hate that.
Speaker 4: You ain't got no incense, nigga.
Speaker 6: I was thinking that in my head, like you left out the incense, you ain't got it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we had shoes on.
Speaker 4: Where's your wrap? I had my shoes on. That was the first first.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you got you got to be you gotta be bedfoot.
Speaker 4: I forgot.
Speaker 2: I learned that do a show. Yeah you have. This is a barefoot experiences.
Speaker 4: It's a thing.
Speaker 3: We're not talking about the wine. I literally was like, what is going on out here? They were not there for me. Yeah, and you can't take it personal. They can take a person in front of my energy either. They weren't there for that. They came for a seance.
Speaker 6: They wanted to hear you say beloved a lot they want, I'm telling you because I don't. I'm no joints like that. Dog. You gotta like it's certain audiences that ain't.
Speaker 4: It just ain't today for you.
Speaker 2: Sometimes, am I lying up? The beloved audience is not? Really they'll be checking for some of stuff we'd be doing. Oh my god.
Speaker 5: Now you definitely have to even when you know still as even from the management side. For me, when certain shows come in, I'm like, yeah, I don't know how that one will make sense. We have those conversations. I'm like, you know, because at first, early on, I didn't used to think to ask who's on the lineup, you know what I mean, because we just we grind it.
Speaker 4: We need that money.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we get into these shows. And then it started to be like.
Speaker 5: You know what, I need to ask who's on the lineup because we've been to one too many shows that just don't make sense and you're not getting the best experience out of it.
Speaker 2: And he can't give his best because, like he said, they wasn't there for him.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and they make it known.
Speaker 2: You got to get to your people.
Speaker 5: Like it's cool, right, Like you get a couple extra fans out of performing with certain people. But these crowds and these audiences, especially whoever the headliner is, if you're not the headliner too, Yep, they're coming for the headliner.
Speaker 2: They come for the whispers. Like you said, that's what they came for. They was coming for Badu.
Speaker 4: Yep.
Speaker 3: So everybody got a camera, so now everybody is filming this. Now they can document the document that this happened. Yeah, Nigga wasn't sweet right here though.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'll be chilling these shows.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, that's different. Yeah, sir, who do you pat on your vocal?
Speaker 2: After?
Speaker 4: I have I have a guess, but I want who do you?
Speaker 1: Who?
Speaker 4: Do you think?
Speaker 6: It's a combination. It's a lot of Charlie Wilson, a whole lot of Charlie. Yeah, it's like I remember he used to call and just be like, yeah, this is how you do it. I sat on the floor behind him while he was I wrote a song for him and he's doing the vocals, Like, how you want me to sing it? I'm like, sing you can sing it in Spanish if you so, I'm sitting on the floor while he's doing his vocals. Mind, there's no iPhones. I'm just sitting there like a kid, and he's doing his vocals. So, yes, like Charlie, is Marvin Gaye in there, some David ruffin. It's just different stuff you Charlie.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's it. You're like, yeah, Charlie, he's one of the disciples. Yeah, but I got that too. He brought me on stage one day.
Speaker 6: He's like, okay, this this is when they was all on stage gap and he was like, he's gonna get gaptized tonight.
Speaker 2: So he's like gapitized.
Speaker 6: He's like, this is gonna be his gaptism tonight. He goes, we're gonna gae night. Yeah, I got a I got gaptized on stage in Saint Martin.
Speaker 4: We need just talked Uncle Chuck.
Speaker 6: He brought me on stage and but he see here's what he did. So I met him earlier that day. So he's on stage. I'm at the concert. He's like, yeah, there's a young brother. You know, I met him. I'm really really George work da da da, which I think maybe I should do a song. So now I'm mad as hell, like because everybody with me knew he was gonna bring I didn't know. So I'm like, we about to bring up here.
Speaker 2: I'm heated.
Speaker 6: I'm like he should bring me up there. So as he's doing this whole big build up and then they bring me, I'm like, oh me, and I did Yearning for Your Love with him. He was like, Okay, you've been gaptized. And he was like, you've been gaptized now, young nigga.
Speaker 2: He on the base.
Speaker 6: He like, yeah, that was funny. He's like, yeah, you've been gaptized. Now you're a little gapper. I haven't been gaptized. I got my little gapper tattoo too. You got the baby gappers, the old gappers. You love Napolis toe tappers.
Speaker 2: He used to say all that when he was on his apple. Yeah, you feel indeed.
Speaker 5: You know it's crazy though, because I feel like when I met you, it was during the phase of you were kind of in and out. I was out by the time I met you, right, yeah, So, and obviously we met through Jojo and I remember I pulled up to your crib, that crib in Atlanta, yep.
Speaker 4: Ready bucket, and I had I had to, I had to, had the cousins with me.
Speaker 2: I had run it down with me.
Speaker 5: Full gangsters, and I just remember us leaving them niggas being like that nigga case crazy.
Speaker 2: These was too full fledged, you know, gangsters, niggas like case crazy.
Speaker 6: Around that time, my crib was would Man. Yeah, And I tell her my crib. What we used to do is go to the strip club, hang out whatever. After the strip club, they all come into my crib.
Speaker 4: Which which strip club? Oh what is it?
Speaker 6: I think that was the Masters because were you in the bucket?
Speaker 2: It was buggets. Yeah.
Speaker 6: And so if you come you came on a team night. Who a team name on the team. So we come in this is it's like sid my homeboys, like, yo, come here.
Speaker 4: I'm like, what's up.
Speaker 6: He's like, what's wrong with you? I'm like, come on me outside. I walk outside. He's like he opened the now look around. I was like, yeah, He's like, this ship don't look real. What's the problem. But this looked like He's like this ship looked like a Guns and Roses dressing room, like it was chicks in the dining room, calling himself black and Rose. But they started They started that because Mike Kaiser and them used to be like, you know what when they first made me, like, you don't act like R and B singing. You need to be a rock and roll dude. You act like a Roles. Was like, yeah, but I'm black and that's what it's. It's black and rolls a black Ax Roles. But yeah, he used to be buck wild at that crib. Yeah it was wold.
Speaker 2: I was still on the Tame Night.
Speaker 4: Yeah JK.
Speaker 6: It was a team night cause and the nigga still was like that nigga crazy because I had to keep a team because I ain't know him and I ain't want to offend him, you know what I'm taking. Jojo was like, yeah, he cool whatever. So I'm like, well, I can't. I can't invite him into the full fledge because he might be like Nigga. So I was like, you're gonna be cool, y'all, but.
Speaker 2: Nick Case is gonna be one of my hand Yeah, yeah, yeah, I know.
Speaker 4: That was exciting.
Speaker 5: Oh man, oh boy, this is pretty thanks and it was a celebration, man, oh man, and you wake up the next day you be stepping over people. I'm like, yeah, is this around the time, nigga when you accidentally shot yourself?
Speaker 6: Nigga, No, accidentally shot myself February fifth, two thousand and two, the day after the Patriots win the Super Bowl, the first Super Bowl.
Speaker 4: How the fuck you do that?
Speaker 6: Dig if you wiel the picture. So I'm sitting in the crib, me and my girl at the time.
Speaker 4: We fucked up.
Speaker 6: We had we've been out, we've been wilding out all night. So I used to keep the gun behind the behind the headboard. So I'm doing it and now I'm fucked up and I'm playing with the shit. Not little, but I'm I'm fiddling with the shit when I should have just did it. And I started talking and that shit went off. It blew my ass across the room and I'm laying there, and I remember it was the most peaceful feeling that lady was like, I think he died because they said that was gonna be dead by the time I got to the hospital. But it was the most peaceful. I can't even explain the most peaceful feeling I ever felt. And it was just dead quiet. And I remember in my head being like, yo, I fucking killed myself. I'm like, I fucking shot myself. And I heard a voice say get up, and I sat up and the TV was black, Good Times was on. It was like five thirty in the morning.
Speaker 2: The lights was on.
Speaker 6: My girl was screaming and running. She ran through the subject vision back in the house, screaming, but I didn't hear none of that. And now I went to see where because I knew I didn't know where I was shot. So I went and looked in the mirror and I tried to sing. And once I saw I could say, I sat down, smoked a cigarette, waited. But what she was on?
Speaker 2: What that she was? Wow?
Speaker 5: What?
Speaker 4: Yeah? She was Wow?
Speaker 2: That was your first thought I'm about to smoke this cit No.
Speaker 6: The first thought was where my shot. The first thought was wearing my shot.
Speaker 4: Okay, let's go with the second thought my cigarette.
Speaker 6: No, no no. The second thought was I try to sing.
Speaker 2: Hard thought, somebody give me a pack of new Ports man.
Speaker 6: Well, oh if I couldn't sing, yeah, I was gonna fish that off. Yeah what if I tried to sing any Because they said it was like a hair from my vocal cars going in right there and it came out a hair from hitting my spine. They said, either you was going to not be able to sing or talk or you paralyzed. And he was like, we don't know how.
Speaker 2: And they did a test.
Speaker 6: They was like it missed everything. And they was like, we don't know how that's possible. Straight through They said it was straight that came in and they said it but it missed everything. Gular vein is right there. I missed everything. And I'm sitting in there and I'm like, so people keep coming in my room because everybody's there, My baby, mama is there, my girl at the time is there, and they looking all sad and shit, and now nobodys telling me nothing. I'm cracking jokes so everybody keeps coming in the room. So I'm like, why is everybody coming in here? And later because they want to see the dude that they said over the radio is gonna be dead when he got here. He's sitting here cracking jokes. That's why they keep coming in here. Somebody put that on the radio over No, not the radio over there. They would transport me in the ambulance and they was like, I was probably gonna be dead when I got there. And they was like, and now they hear you and hear cracking jokes. That's why everybody keeps coming and looking in the room, coming into the hospital room, into my room. They looking like because niggas like hearing they're cracking jokes. They're like, hell no, and they looking They're like this nigga's cracking jokes. But nobody's telling me this. At the time, I'm just like, why is everybody coming in here? And they said that was why that she's crazy.
Speaker 2: These are the stories that make you feel musical. Huh is what you feel. That's where it comes.
Speaker 3: From, right, you know what I'm saying. Yeah, brother, case, my fellow, the real enthusiastic in all your years breaking the rules. Yeah, putting your own life in jeopardy, youth. You know this music thing, man, you do this music thing, then you try.
Speaker 4: Try my best. You've been gaptized.
Speaker 2: He's a rock star.
Speaker 1: He's a rock star.
Speaker 3: In the midst of all this deparchery that you've participated it in, I thought there was some music playing. It ended up being some of your favorite brother case. The world wants to know what's your What.
Speaker 2: They want to know?
Speaker 8: Top five?
Speaker 4: Your top five?
Speaker 8: You know you got top five, your top five R and B singers?
Speaker 2: What else are and so.
Speaker 1: You go to no shot in your th you.
Speaker 4: Hold a node.
Speaker 1: If you still to this day, what your yes, I can't say this is.
Speaker 4: All you.
Speaker 2: Think about?
Speaker 3: Mind?
Speaker 2: Yes, sir? Yeah, yeah? Top five real the case you're top five R and B singer R and B singers.
Speaker 6: I mean they can be saying, Okay, Stevie Wonder talk, Charlie Wilson, come on man, Donny Hathaway, come on man, Marvin Gaye. A Twinkie clock, Twinkie clock that was nasty weighted in that Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, ye, save that one. I saved that one. Yes, I thought she was gonna hit the pitch anyway.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah. Yeah, she just does something.
Speaker 6: Different, something different with a complimentary. Now to Ella Fitzgerald, probably she's she's a machine. She was a machine dog high level.
Speaker 3: She was a top tier, top tier, top top tier. Those are foundational all day. Yeah, you can build a career. Yeah, you gotta have a piece of you gotta have a piece of all of Yeah. Yeah, a lease have an understanding of what those are. Yeah, you gotta be in order to be an ARMB singer. That's a fact.
Speaker 4: Definitely top five ARMB songs.
Speaker 6: That this change is depending on the day of my movie Tender Love for some d Yeah, break your fall on your day O love that song. That's actually my ringtoe right.
Speaker 4: Now she said, Oh my gosh, we love her. Yeah, we love her.
Speaker 2: Get her.
Speaker 6: Don't you worry about the thanks Stevie Wonder because from the time as long as I can remember, I could be having the worst day ever. If I play that song, I instantly feel better, instantly to this day. Yeh, come get to this. Marvin Gay love It and off the Wall. Michael Jackson, all.
Speaker 3: Right, so let's put together your R and B Voltron. All right, you're gonna put together your super R and B artists. So who you're gonna get the vocal from the performance style, the styling, and then the passion of the artists, the heart of the artist. Who you getting the vocal from to make your super artists.
Speaker 6: Getting the vocal from Michael Jackson.
Speaker 5: All tempo, yeah yeah, any up, temple, mid temple, ballads, any.
Speaker 4: Anything you do. Young Michael was young.
Speaker 6: Michael was killing own man.
Speaker 4: He was a killer performance style on stage.
Speaker 6: Combination of Michael Slodstone, Yeah, Slyde was a beast beaf. Sly Stone was a beast. Were studying the handbone uts.
Speaker 2: I love slod SnO, It's called losing yourself in the music every time his whatstop performance. You know he's from the base, so I already know I'm.
Speaker 6: The biggest slang and in the family Stone.
Speaker 5: I think that is something that needs to be revisiting in music. Well, he changed every from my opinion, just yeah, absolutely the way he changed things. But artists literally losing themselves in the song. Yeah, if you go back and you watch literally James Brown losing ten pounds a sholl yeah, yeah, because he didn't work so hard, or Marvin Gay or Teddy Pens a new addition, but.
Speaker 6: You know what I believe and you correct me if I'm wrong. I believe that a lot of that has to do with the fact that you get on stage and you see a bunch of cameras in your face.
Speaker 2: It automatically don't want to mess up it.
Speaker 6: Automatically, even if you're not conscious of that.
Speaker 5: It puts it in your head that this is going to be This is live everywhere, This is a lot, right, It's not just the one night only thing.
Speaker 6: Right, it's live everywhere. This is live for the world. This is like performing at Live eight. You're not trying to mess up on live back in the days or like that. I think that puts something in your head when it comes to losing yourself in the in the music, in the performance.
Speaker 2: Yeah. No, I can appreciate the artist.
Speaker 5: I can appreciate the artist not messing up on the word maybe fall like listen, it's just the performer.
Speaker 6: Yeah, And it's like yeah, because you know, there's nothing to feed it.
Speaker 2: It's just this.
Speaker 6: And the first thing I remember the first time I saw that, like, didn't they rest rerun for filming the du Beat Brothers concert?
Speaker 2: Taking it?
Speaker 4: And I'm like, hey, Bady, you got a phone.
Speaker 6: I'm like, it just puts something in my head.
Speaker 2: The first time.
Speaker 6: I'm like, it immediately changed my mindset. When I got on stage and saw everybody had phones, I'm like, it took me a minute to get used to that.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Who are you getting the styling from the drip of the artists?
Speaker 6: Marvin gay hmm yeah, Marve Gang classic, Yes, sir, that's that's what a lot of Michael Jackson stuff came them.
Speaker 2: Aviator is.
Speaker 6: Marvin Gaye was wearing those first, and the military jackets, Marvin Gaye was wearing those first, and and Michael Jackson started doing it well studies yeah, friend, yeah, yeah, definitely, yeah, he was.
Speaker 2: He was the problem.
Speaker 4: Who are in the passion of the artist from ra Chall's h m hm.
Speaker 6: That passion there, David Rouffing, that type of passion.
Speaker 2: It's different.
Speaker 6: That's different. Different, that's different. That's a different type of emotion that niggas sing about anything.
Speaker 2: Very very aggressive man, very aggressive man, easy listen, torture.
Speaker 3: Sing a song called Let's get Let's go get stoned. You know what I feel like they did it.
Speaker 4: I said, nigga, what come on?
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, before you get out of here, my brother I ain't saying no niggs. I ain't saying no names. Yeah, I ain't saying no names. Ain't saying no niggas. You are.
Speaker 2: What you need, don't see she I ain't said no names.
Speaker 4: You're gonna break.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we go down. This is gonna be broke. Man actually.
Speaker 4: Galling.
Speaker 1: You gotta gather.
Speaker 5: All right, so we have this, you know, very important segment of the show. Yeah, cart I ain't saying no names. Yes, sir, the rule to the game. She just can't say no names. That's the only rule. You tell us a story funnier, fucked up? Are funny and fucked up? All your story seemed to be Jesus Christ.
Speaker 2: I got one that I can say the name because it's just funny names.
Speaker 4: Okay.
Speaker 2: I just got you out the way. It is easy way to say.
Speaker 6: Okay, asking brothers, I got you back it up first of all, because.
Speaker 2: We would like to live happily. You know, we don't want no trouble.
Speaker 6: Y'all gonna be y'all don't like that.
Speaker 2: Right now?
Speaker 5: It's the man is hit to himself himself case, I ain't saying no names.
Speaker 4: Okay.
Speaker 6: So there was an R and B artist that wrote a song for me for one of my albums. So she invited me and my homeboy over to hear the song. Because back in them days it was cassettes. It wasn't no emailing the song back and forth whatever.
Speaker 2: So we're in there.
Speaker 6: Her dude shows up. He's like a big rapper.
Speaker 2: He don't know us.
Speaker 6: So he rolls up and two dudes in his crib with his chick that he don't know. So he looking us up and down, introduced ourselves. He's like whatever, So we leave. We go to getting our rental cars outside. We get in the car, the rental car won't start. So now he comes out with her maybe an hour later to go pick up the kid from.
Speaker 2: Day because we know we calling the toe truck.
Speaker 6: We're sitting across the street from his crib in the car. I'm like, Nigga, dis looks crazy.
Speaker 2: It looks crazy.
Speaker 6: They come back. We're still sitting in the car like Nigga, dis looks crazy. But it's freezing outside. We can't wait outside, so I'm like, I make sure I get out so I could tell her yo what's going on. But I could see already that he looking like it looked real suspect. So finally the tow truck comes and we get off. So then I ran into him. At this time, I hadn't had a record out, so I run into him and I'm like, yo, remember blah blah blah.
Speaker 4: I was like that was me.
Speaker 2: He was like, yo, b I thought your niggas was on some bs.
Speaker 6: I'm like, nah, we was. And we laughed about it. So but that almost got real hairy.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, outside of the spot.
Speaker 6: Yeah, for hour, I'm like, yo, this is this don't look good. It was nothing we could do because we were we just got out the car. First of all, it was freezing, but the neighborhood we was in it went down. It went down, so we were stuck.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Ain't cool.
Speaker 6: Yeah, now this is funny. So this chicken dating, we go out to dinner at this at this seafood place. So me and a limo driver we're like, we're going to jump out and get the food. Leaf from the limo. We get the food, we come my mouth was like, where's the limo? So we can't find a limo.
Speaker 4: Hold you and the limo driver get out.
Speaker 2: Get out.
Speaker 6: We run out, pulled the hat down. We run in to get the food. We leave the chicken in the limo, in.
Speaker 2: The limo, in the back of the limo.
Speaker 6: Right, Okay, we come out. The limo's gone, but the driver with you. The driver's with me, so he looking at me. I'm looking at him like nigg I don't know. So we're seeing there, we're looking around. Cell phone is not really a thing back then, so we're like, yo, what the hell happened? So then we see the limo come from around the corner. But as it turns, it got the whole side of it is a dent and it's yellow. So what happened was traffic started building up behind the limo. Shorty crawls through the thing. It tries to move it, but you know what I mean, yellow poles in the part. She caught the side of the pole and scraped the whole side of the limo. It tried, and then people say, yo, that's so and so it scraped the whole side of the limo. It just sat there like sorry, yo, yo. The lmo driver was six. Yeah, she destroyed his joint. Yeah, she destroyed his joint. It was at that moment I'm like, we're going on the second date. Doug Life yeah, we was going.
Speaker 2: On the second date.
Speaker 6: That earned her a second date, That earned her second date. Just the balls of this person. Yeah yeah, that earned her second date. I drive limos, now this happen.
Speaker 2: That told me she do what she gotta do if it needs to be done.
Speaker 5: Drive jumped through the partition already is on some foolish She's different.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she's different. That's different. That's fair, my brother, case uh man.
Speaker 3: First of all, it's always a time man, Yes, sir, anytime were in the building together, it's always love, always the time. We appreciate your your contributions to this thing, man, Thank you. Your music's timeless, absolutely, and apparently you are too long. You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: Along here, man, and.
Speaker 3: We look forward two more, yes sir, Yeah, come on man, you know what I mean. As we spoke before the pod. We look forward to more because because you deserve it.
Speaker 6: Thank you, man. I appreciate you'll. Thank you for having me, yes, man, and you have our support.
Speaker 4: Yes you got that.
Speaker 2: Yes, sir, let me.
Speaker 3: My name is Tank and this is the Army Money Podcast, the authority of all things R and B.
Speaker 2: That's not the case, y'all? Yes, sir, Yes, Sir R and B Money.
Speaker 5: R and B Money is a production of the Black Effect Podcast Network. For more podcasts from iHeart Radio, is it the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite show, don't forget to subscribe to and rate our show, and you can connect with us on social media at Jay Valentine and at the Real Tank. For the extended episode, subscribe to YouTube dot com or slash R and B Money