Speaker 1: Welcome back, all the Smoke, twenty twenty five All Star here in the beautiful Bay Area. I'm glad it's not raining today. We got someone here today. Go ahead, special edition. Yeah, some of who we'll get to this part, but just very instrumental in me and both of me and Stack's careers. There ain't no telling where if this guy didn't kind of stamp us, we probably wouldn't be here, to be honest with you, because we was both on a fucked up path at the point when we came here.
Speaker 2: I was so bad when I got here, I got suspended seven games, played one.
Speaker 1: And they couldn't even suspend me because I wasn't on the team. So it's like shit. But uh man, welcome to the show. Chris mullen Man, sir, appreciate you, my brother, thanks.
Speaker 3: For being here.
Speaker 1: Warriors legend, Saint John's Legend, New York's finest. Magic Johnson once said, when God made a basketball player, he carved out Chris mullen. Don Nelson said, Mulley is Larry Bird. He's just six', seven not six.' nine you had a lot, of game to say. The least when you hear some of the greatest to, ever do but obviously one of the greatest players in one of our favorite coaches and greatest coaches kind of give you that kind of respect. And homage what does that mean?
Speaker 3: To, you yeah.
Speaker 4: That's everything and then before you get into, that first let me let, Me Say matt Barnes And, steven jackson it was my pleasure to have you guys here. With us you guys made my career as a seriously that that was the most fun looking BACK that i had in the. Front office, your toughness, your camaraderie. Your leadership, SO yeah i just want to, get that get that, out there which you guys did Much, like mitch TIM. And i, you know it was kind of a, short stint but a, huge impact huge impact that we believe team they still love. You GUYS so i want to thank you guys for being part of my life now as far as.
Speaker 3: You know and you, guys know when, you play you know.
Speaker 4: You're, gonna win you're, gonna lose you gotta score your points and, all that but ultimately it's the respect of your teammates and maybe more, your peers the people you. Play against So what magic said to me to, this day one of the most uplifting things that ever said about me from a. Basketball STANDPOINT when i first made My First all, star Game pat riley said similar things that that still sticks in. My mind and then another thing that always remember and you know when you when you're playing and you're, locked in you don't really understand what you you know on your daily, daily habits how you're. Affecting people shee and Is marcellons ye once SAID that i had the ability to put my, chest OUT but i, didn't right just kind OF and i was. Taught that, you know we're all taught things by a. Youth coaches but one of the biggest influences of my basketball Career Was, luke carnaseca who just passed away in. Ninety night so Much, like matt Much like john WOULDN'T, at ucl he really gave me three three pillars. Of success one, was this no substitute for hard, day's, work now whatever, that means we have a job you're in. For us was, daily habits getting your, shots up whatever you need to do to take care of, your body all. Those things so no substitute for hard. Day's work remained humble. And grateful rights have a saying called, peacock today feather dust. To, Tomorrow right so treat everyone with grace. And humility win, with grace lose, with humility the same thing and then The very the last thing is what you guys are doing now.
Speaker 3: Is share share, your experiences good. And.
Speaker 4: Bad right you want to share because you mentioned you know some things we're going to. TALK about i went through. Those things maybe people, don't REMEMBER but. I did SO what i want to do is help people not get into, those, pitfalls right or if, they do be there.
Speaker 3: For. Them right so share.
Speaker 4: Your experiences and his saying there was don't have, short arms meaning every, reach, out hug.
Speaker 3: But also every once in a while pick up the. Check too.
Speaker 1: Makes sense all sixteen, year career FIVE Time Nba, all star you had a stretch of five years where you're at twenty, or, five five twenty five, AND five, i mean and that's it's in a.
Speaker 2: Tough era, hand checking, beating, up fighting you're only getting two games fighting.
Speaker 3: Back then, maybe not it, Might not.
Speaker 2: It might just be a tech or a. Regular found let's get too straight. To it we're here At The. Chase arena, you know we had some great. YEARS here i think some of my great years here being a gym when we Were In. Golden state talk about the process of getting me here and also the process Of.
Speaker 3: Getting, mad here, you know doing Beat with beady. Bride men well what, You, said jack it was.
Speaker 4: A process SO when i first, got here you GOT understand i had played here thirteen, years yep Went, to indiana. Came back so it WASN'T like i didn't know what was going on with this organization that become. A place let's put, this way it was not. A destination so you had to somehow get. That back when Me mentioned tim played people wanted to come here because of the style of playing things.
Speaker 3: Like that we had to get. That back at, that time we had.
Speaker 4: Young players SO what, I did i committed to developing the, young players trying to keep.
Speaker 3: A foundation that Was What, Jay Rich gilbert Mike And Troy Mike Don. Troy marcy so, that group they, were.
Speaker 4: Young and we had a, you know this organization had a history of losing, young players Just like gilbert, had, left right so he, Went on so try to get a foundation and develop and then see what. Could do what's out in the trademarket of. Free agency so that was. The plan that plan was flipped on. Its Head monte to, Was There.
Speaker 3: Monte yeah we had a nice, little court but they weren't ready to. Win.
Speaker 4: Yet Right baron davis Was In, new, orleans right. Just scruntle he was on the, trade block whatever what. Might be we Traded, for baron which IS and i remember it was FUNNY because I Called donnie walsh one of, my guys which he'll come, back, later, ye SORRY but I. CALLED die i would always would always. TALK trades, i said, you know what do you Think? About barons NOT that i didn't. WATCH him i Knew who, baron was but not as much because Of The. West coast, diane's like he's the best guard in. The league when, he plays He goes mulley.
Speaker 3: When he's on. The court he's the best guard in. THE league, i.
Speaker 4: Said whoa so we did a Deal for baron that and we had thirty, games left got him at the. Trade deadline we went eighteen and TWELVE, with bd WITH b d and pretty, much, alone right and those. Young guys that off season we made a, coaching Change got nelly because now Now, with barn, YOU know I had Mitch. And Rod Mitch, Mitch Richmond mikeah montgomery. Was before okay, again fundamentals trying to get those young. Guys situated We got barron. Right away we're sitting up there. Watching Go that's, tim, hardaway dude we need to get. This back nelly Had. Left dallas he Was in hawaii.
Speaker 3: Doing his thing because he was beefing With Market mark cuban at. The, time.
Speaker 4: Yeap BEEFING so i got a Hold Of nelly midsummer wound Up getting nelly come back. To coach now He's, got barron, you know never he started implementing some of.
Speaker 3: His stuff he could see.
Speaker 4: It developing come that, trade deadline you guys were all sitting Out.
Speaker 3: In indiana yeh. Yeh suspended, no, NO no I want i want you TO because i want to know.
Speaker 2: Your, person okay, this why this IS why, i ASK because i know you know a lot of conversation stuff that was happening behind the scenes that we.
Speaker 4: Obviously the malice In the palace had. Happened exactly all you guys were sitting out suspended.
Speaker 3: The shootout, no, no.
Speaker 2: No no the master passes happened the, year before right before the trade happened.
Speaker 4: To, shootout, okay okay, right right but you had been suspended.
Speaker 3: And now it, right right rush out.
Speaker 4: Of, jail yes let's say tumultuous Time in indiana exactly exactly spell, that WORD but i know it sounds like.
Speaker 3: Something bad.
Speaker 4: I've Known donnie WALSH since i was, a kid and we would, talk basketball talk trades all. The time even if we didn't. Do deals we'd like to. Talk Basketball new york guy From. The bronx he called me when he knew he was going to move you. Guys, right first matter, Of FACT first i Talked to ron our test about coming here before we As A sacramento You Know ron.
Speaker 3: Ronins and this is the type OF stuff i want.
Speaker 4: To. Hear Yeah so i've known him since he was. A KID so i was trying to get him To. THE warriors i was talking to him and. His agent they did the Deal. With sacramento he's in the limo and, calls me trying to squash that trade to Come To. Golden state didn't.
Speaker 3: Have it he Goes.
Speaker 4: To sack donnie calls me, and, Says listen i'm gonna move These guys Jack hal and not that he handed it, to me but, HE goes i really want this thing to work for. His hand i'm sure. You did but but but in, A way donnie still looked at wanted to make.
Speaker 3: It work.
Speaker 2: He, Did jack he, CALLED me i forced his hand in a. Bad, way, okay, okay yeah he wanted.
Speaker 4: To hold if you Look at, donnie's history he loves ballers and and he'll take care. Of people he's not going to. Judge mistakes he's going to try and. Fix mistakes he's gonna come up. With solutions that's The way donnie lives.
Speaker 3: HIS life i.
Speaker 4: Know that so he called me, and, Said look i'm going to move. THESE guys i think there'll be a. Good FIT but i also think you that'll be good with, you BECAUSE like i, SAID earlier i had my struggles like. Most People, FORGET mike i went to rehabbing my, third year way before my careers. Are calling so, when guys, you know, have missteps my first inclination is, that's me, not up. That's that but for the Grace, of god THERE go i, THERE WENT i i did all, that stuff and people there to.
Speaker 3: Help me so that was So.
Speaker 4: When donnie, Said that i'm, Like COOL like I, KNOW jack I know i KNOW these I know i'd play With.
Speaker 3: Al man this.
Speaker 4: Is awesome but and you guys know this the, first thing one of the first Things that nelly was, all, in, like yo go, get Them because nelly went, to WIN and i just Went. TO baron, i sometimes you know in, the league you. NEVER know i Went. TO baron i didn't know you guys were type from. High school so then he went from like yes, to, like yo you better get. This done that's, my boy. Let's go so when that deal, went down Much like, baron's arrival Much Like, jimmy butler that thing turned the, organization around and then the itself, was. Fun hilarious you guys are all, friends previously so the team chemistry just, happened overnight you know in matt, you know and you guys got to experience what, Me mentioned tim did some of the most, fun basketball the, shoot arounds.
Speaker 2: The practices but THAT'S what i don't mean to cut, you off but that's kind of what. Y'all built y'all experienced it on your, own time in, real time so it was it was kind of easy for you to build that.
Speaker 4: Blueprint, again well, you know even like With, the warriors Like so steve cow they Just Acquired. Jimmy butler in, his mind he says he's a Little Bit, Andre goodala he's got A Little sean livingston because he can settle the game down the. Half court you'd go back to, your. Experiences right, that's again that's what it's, all about is passing on, your experience and that's why the. Game Evolves like kobe became great because He. Emulated michael things we, see today we've seen versions.
Speaker 3: Of it maybe, it's.
Speaker 4: Better but it's better because those guys watched the. Previous generation so that trade and that. That season. That's funny we did that three point in Contact with. Baron recently so we were sitting around. Talking Laughing so, baron's, like yeah and you guys. Remember this we're on. The road you Guys Went Detroit east Coascher and baron was rehabbing his knee DOWN.
Speaker 2: IN la i think we had a we had a meeting after that game in the. LOCKER room i don't mean to. Catch off we had a meeting after We beat detroit and we all sat in there after We beat hear and he, was, like bro we can.
Speaker 4: Do something remember That man nelly was getting a, little FRUSTRATED and I know nelly he can he can.
Speaker 2: Go.
Speaker 4: Quick yeah now He's In new york At the cigar Bar On, seventh avenue probably thinking about Going To, mount board thinking about Going. To maui baron's IN. L a so Me AND mitch I Sent. ROD higgins, I, said yo go Sit. With nelly make sure, he doesn't, you know go off the. Deep end Me and mitch were GOING to la to Talk. To baron's he. Was up he Was with dark rehabbing. His knee so we Went To stephen.
Speaker 3: JACKSON'S.
Speaker 4: GYM yep i saw Rebounding. For baron little. BY little i started egging him on a. Little bit then we're playing little one, on one messing around two on to. Next thing we're, going Hard, like baron you're good, to, go man you Gotta, go. Detroit bro and then. He went we won that game and from that time YOU got i think we had to win like every game to finish.
Speaker 3: The season eighteen out of twenty one or something.
Speaker 4: Like that so that that was a magical run AND like, i said, short lived much LIKE. Run cmc but you, guys know when you come, back, here man that's still people loved. THAT team i don't know about. You guys you, guys played, you know as MUCH as i Did That. Oracle arena i've never heard anything. As loud during.
Speaker 3: That playoffs steve said that we go that Far signing matt off the. Football field how did all? That Happen, Matt, barnes, Yeah, well nellie we All. Knew matt.
Speaker 4: HE was i don't, even wait where were You in sacramento at? That time see he made the call Right.
Speaker 1: So baron you guys were having an open gym at, the Facility and baron hit me like at nine o'clock and open gym was. AT eleven i had like an hour and a half drive to, get there and and right before, training camp right before training camp HAPPENED and i came IN and i played really well in this. Open Gym but nelly was watching the whole time from. His office remember he had the corner off they could see. The court and he came down and just asked me where?
Speaker 3: You going where you going?
Speaker 4: To? CAMP son i was like. Ship nowhere but once again THAT'S and I. Knew nelly, ye yeah so like, to us he was An Athletic. Ride, higgins, okay yes, can play can can slide up? To four yeah right over athletic, two three but can play four shoot the three.
Speaker 3: That fit nelly, always said HOW can i make?
Speaker 4: It work i'm gonna put pressure on the, other seane don't tell me what. My disadvantage i'm gonna put the disadvantage mismatch mismatches to the.
Speaker 3: Other team, he was he, was.
Speaker 2: Really you was the first one like got everybody start doing.
Speaker 3: TATTOOS too i think, maybe yeah we got. Tatted up we.
Speaker 1: HAD fun, i mean LIKE like, i said to hear the the behind the scenes side and then kind of know.
Speaker 3: Our side how this all. CAME together i mean we.
Speaker 1: Were struggling baron, was HURT and, I remember i want, to say we Were in la when the, trade happened and we only played with like seven or. Eight guys the day the. Trade happened we got beat and then We got Jackets and allen and it still took a little bit to.
Speaker 3: Get going baron.
Speaker 1: Still hurt but obviously it came together game Wise. In detroit but it started coming together before That because jacks the personality was just loving an electric and we went from once he got a crib like we would go from Practice to jack's house and starts smoking and watching.
Speaker 3: Game, film yeah we were, all, everyone.
Speaker 1: Everyone everyone everyone would be high as fuck. Watching games when we were watching game, film though like we were Really watching Nelly.
Speaker 3: To no nelly was Upstairsing on nellie at the. Top floor you drop a little. Package off we.
Speaker 1: Got a story about, that too actually after We. Beat DALLAS but i mean just the way, that kemmy like we would, eat together we would hang Out, of jackson watch, game film and we would go. Out together so really kind of that bond started growing off, the court and then it Finally when baron, came back it started showing on. The court and Obviously that detroit game was kind of a pivotal moment, for us and this Was the detroit team that won the Champ.
Speaker 3: With, Ben, Wallace rip chauncey all.
Speaker 1: Them do they would nice and we went in there and smacked them AND like, i remember we talked in the. Locker room but on the plane fly everyone kind of had a couple, of, drinks, like yo we can really do something if we're serious, about it and, we COMMITTED and i want to say we won like eighteen out of twenty three games to end up making, the playoffs so it was super. Short lived but again for you guys to kind of take a chance on just a bunch of people that were kind of lost in, the wind you KNOW what i mean to Trade dun Levy and troy who were, you know high draft picks for, you guys but, you know to be able to bring them in and bring all this because of again the experience you guys have WOUL run tmc kind of understanding what, that meant to be able to really bond with these guys and know what that means on.
Speaker 3: The, COURT yeah i, Think.
Speaker 4: Too matt the experience of, you know having the connection, With Myself rod Higgins and Mittrich with nelly seeing the game the same way and looking at players that, You, know, nellie look he has a very unique way.
Speaker 3: Of playing we all.
Speaker 4: Know that so maybe what some of the teams would see as, a negative it we saw.
Speaker 3: As positives, You know.
Speaker 4: So that that whole process was fun and it's funny listening to what, You're. Saying matt, YOU know i Know mentioned TIM and i are coming. On tomorrow very similar feelings that we had going through. That process and the, thing too is this and YOU guys i know you guys were type prior To but nelly only had a very unique way of making. Practice fun shoot arounds were, not stressful but you learned an easy, going way which you know, tells me like a lot of things from the old school still does.
Speaker 3: Do work so some.
Speaker 4: Bonding together you guys, were tight but all of a sudden the style of play brought.
Speaker 3: You, guys together kind of the, you.
Speaker 4: Know, small lineup, we're undemanded but we're going to us against, the world, you know and then of course you know we'll probably get Put that.
Speaker 3: Dallas series how.
Speaker 4: We were, heavy, underdogs pared but we felt like we we, got them.
Speaker 3: Bust the ass all year.
Speaker 4: Got them And Then dirk DAVSKY was. Mvp Unstoppable Put steven jackson. On him Me and matt get. Up, team yeah you both of, you guys get up, into him get up. Into him, So again, nelly's knowledge his understanding of your guy's toughness and just a simp that that's more than right drawing up.
Speaker 3: A play that's the. Coaching adjustment who's gotten the.
Speaker 4: Best player, you know you're not gonna put a big on when he's gonna pick him up and be. Wide open every time, He catches jack's gonna get up into.
Speaker 3: His feet and when, he spins were there when. He spins nelly was.
Speaker 2: So smart he knew the worst Defender on, phoenix team and he made our smallest player post him up because he.
Speaker 3: Couldn't guard so we Was posting Monte On.
Speaker 2: Steve nash that's that's how he took advantage of a mismatches all or he would.
Speaker 4: Play small on another. Team's, big exactly they post. Him up that's what. We, wanted exactly they go post. The. Up good it's one less shot for the. Best player he used to make a Guard and al wanted. To, quit listen you know what you remember that he Would have al and again this is something he.
Speaker 3: Was weighing al he had on the.
Speaker 4: Scaleful practice but he would, tell him as he's running, up court getting, his way not in, the post in the, back court running in the, back court start getting in, his way and he could never get to. The paint by the time he, got there the shot clock was down.
Speaker 1: At eight by, the Way that dallas series in the first Round was. Nelly's championship after, we went he didn't give a Funk. About utah by, the way the whole the energy.
Speaker 3: Reports and, all, that bro. Energy chances we just wanted To. Beat dallas, you're right that's all new he wanted to do Was. Beat dallas it, was, bad bro it. Was done he was he, checked.
Speaker 4: Out dude he called me down here like after he was it, was like that was a, close, SERIES dude i know it was for we.
Speaker 2: Had them yeah we could had we would have won the first. Two games we had the first two games on the road and turn over. The rows but after one of, Those, games nelly you wanted to talk. ABOUT something i go down to. His room We're In Salt. Lake city he's sitting there like his boxes and. No shirt, i'm, like damn what the, hell Dude and mai already.
Speaker 3: Hold on let me tell you it. Is though this is another thing that happen when he was in.
Speaker 2: The Playoffs man bettie ended up getting our last drug test and as we, Come out nelly's standing in the tunnel with.
Speaker 3: His hand, oh yeah. He's done he could job y' out like we.
Speaker 2: Did something we're taking our. Last test he clapped like he happy, For, us like, oh ya he?
Speaker 3: Checked out did he?
Speaker 1: Checked out did you know the part how after We beat dallas, that night we had to go Back to jack's House and nelly had a. Party upstairs but we were Back at jackson, about this so we went Up to. Nelly's place our coach used to live like three or four Floors. Above jack so we Went to jack's place, and smoke drink a, little bit and then we were gonna Stop by nelly's before we.
Speaker 3: Went out we go Up to nelliot's and it's first thing he said, to, us, though.
Speaker 1: Hey fellas what is in the back? Rolling Doobies So woody harrelson was in. The back he had a bunch of people at. His Crib woody harrelson's in the back. Rolling joints and keep, in mind this is our fucking. Head coach after the first. Round victory, he's like what he's in the back Rolling do he's go smoke? With them and we looked at each, other like what the fuck did our coach? Just say so we listened to our coach and went in the back and smoked weed on his Balcony with wilson was, There, Too Yeah, Jessica Alba. Kate hudson it was kind of a.
Speaker 3: Little thing chemistry. Man minding thank you for binging, me, Here man thank.
Speaker 1: You, Guys man let's get back Upbringing flat bush used to travel around To the harlem And the bronx to try to face the best in.
Speaker 3: The city let's keep.
Speaker 1: It real basketball wasn't really for people, your color but were like really really at, that point you KNOW what, i mean you really had to go out there and and make a name for yourself and handle your Business In new york and which was the mecca. Of basketball what were those early journeys and ups and downs like in you in your early basketball if.
Speaker 2: You closed your eyes though you never.
Speaker 3: That's probably why he made.
Speaker 4: It, work, yeah now you guys know as good as well, as anybody, the journeys everything right upbringing the people that, influenced us.
Speaker 3: Our FAMILIES so i grew up in Flappersh.
Speaker 4: In brooklyn, blue collar middle. CLASS neighborhood i had a. Great family mom and dad. WERE home i was the middle of. Five children my older brother was a, great.
Speaker 3: Athlete so that was my first.
Speaker 4: Role model he was a great, baseball player great, basketball PLAYER so i followed him everything. He did cyo basketball just up. The street we had a gym right up.
Speaker 3: The block for.
Speaker 4: MY house i could walk there in. Two MINUTES but i fell in love and playing in my backyard it was. A sport I felt i could go out there by myself and. Get better that's what kind of hooked me. To hoops my older brother Went To Power, memorial academy which was an hour and a half FROM where. I lived it was a bus in. TWO trains i Was At palm Memorial where. Kareem Went leney elmore was, a dynamic incredible, basketball school but it was far away from. My neighbor but it Was a catholic school and it. Was cheap we Had several catholic schools by.
Speaker 3: My house they. Were expensive there was a school. By me it was one.
Speaker 4: Thousand dollars power was, five hundred and if you had a brother in, the school you got one hundred.
Speaker 3: Dollars OFF so i had. No choice my father sent me there because.
Speaker 4: Financially so traveling Up to power Which was midtowm it had sixty First. In amsterdam THAT'S where i met all these guys. From Uptown mario elie was one of. My Classmates In riverside church was this legendary. Au program so the guys that Played at riverside With at power brought me Up To riverside church and THAT'S how i started.
Speaker 3: Going uptown.
Speaker 4: Yeah uh AND once i, started going, you know playing in the, you know summertime in, the parks not only was it eye opening as far, as talent, it was it was motivational because all of, a sudden, you know in my NEIGH but i was the. Best player but it wasn't great. Players there it were. Good there it was a solid. Basketball community but you go up Up to halem In, the bronx all of, a sudden, you know your eyes get open. Pretty quick different style, of play which was key. FOR me i was very fund. OF man i was very well coached as, a kid, skilled development but all of A sudden i kind of learned it would be more like LIKE the, nba game getting up, and down shooting the first, shot available playing off the drib all THOSE things i learned. Through that and then probably most importantly was every single day you had to prove yourself LIKE who i went up to the park and, YOU man i was the only white guy in, The park so, right, away like.
Speaker 3: What's this guy? Doing here, come? On man so there was somewhat longer hair too a.
Speaker 4: Little, bit yeah but, you, know pressure but also you want to. Prove yourself and it was, every day so you performance the DAY before i had nothing to do with the. Next day you always had to go up there and show out or they booed you until you get the hell out. Of here so in, a way that pressure slash motivation really developed.
Speaker 3: My focus.
Speaker 4: You know So whether i'm playing in an empty gym or in a packed masive, square garden the approach is the same because you're. Proving something if you're playing one, on one you're proven to that guy, Right there i'm in better condition, Than.
Speaker 3: You i'm a, Better shooter.
Speaker 4: I'm TOUGHER so i learned that as a young kid and then stayed home Obviously At saint john playing on some great, teams there but my upbringing first first at home and then grow Up In New. YORK city i think really as a basketball player. Meant EVERYTHING but i got to say it, really shaped in, my opinion a wider view of the, world BECAUSE like i, said earlier.
Speaker 3: AT home i had my mom and dad.
Speaker 4: Were home my mom was home every night, for dinner and all of, a sudden AT power i would go Over To spanish hall with a teammate who lived in the project and an, empty house, no food all of, a sudden. Like damn but in a good, way though it. Gave me it made. Me grateful it made me want to help that kid bring home to. My house but sometimes when you're only in your, own community that's you think everyone has what.
Speaker 3: You have so it opened up opened up my eyes to a LOT and i tell people.
Speaker 4: This too Matt and jack simple commute from Where from Brooklyn To paler memorial that in itself was in education every. Single DAY so i would get on the number three Train Of, flappish avenue take it up to Forty. Second street you guys have. Noticed IT but i would switch on a one train to Sixty. First street but during that route every day is at fourteen year. Old kids i'd get on the Train With wall street people all in suits.
Speaker 3: And briefcases at Forty.
Speaker 4: Second Street At, wall street they would get off the, Next stop hood would, come on and then all of, A sudden i would change. My pot i'd be like this with the what and then all of, A, sudden i, you know just. Make adjustments but doing, that alone, looking back it gave me. Incredible awareness not only you know how to take care of yourself in, street smart but also again getting back to like how then people are living differently so close. To you that's that's an, INVALUABLE education. I thought i think when, it happens you don't think, about it but later on you kind of have a better.
Speaker 3: Appreciation what's going on.
Speaker 4: Around you my mom and dad both were very progressive in, Letting US like, i said, YOU know i was fourteen going Up to harlem, or whatever but they wanted that for. Their kids they wanted us to get out there and see. The WORLD so i think it's a good lesson for us to, pass On right and AND the nba, is great and sports in general do that. Breakdown BARRIERS but i FELT like i Had that being grown grown Up In new york exposed me to a, lot basketball, of course but a lot of.
Speaker 3: LIFE lessons, i mean getting them that train and riding just taking. THEIR ride i can see that so many.
Speaker 1: Different persons it's, different THOUGH because I think i got sixteen year. OLD kids i wouldn't trust that, these days you KNOW what. I mean it's just that we came up in a. Different time like, you said you're coming out and proving yourself at the park like they don't.
Speaker 3: Do, THAT no I mean i read the paper. Every day the TRAINS are, i mean here's telling you didn't have no choice though that was the only way you could. Get there you Know what. I'm saying we mess to have five kids to. Have, choices now the.
Speaker 4: Same thing our kids didn't grow up like, we did right exactly because we didn't want. Them to but there are some things that they miss. Right exactly that's very.
Speaker 2: Beneficent decoration the college Career Of saint john's Three Time Big east player Of the year from nineteen eighty three to eight nineteen, eighty five That's Crazy wooden award in nineteen, EIGHTY five i was being a College at icon and the Years Of saint.
Speaker 3: John's amazing timing is, Everything right but this is When The big east Is, THE yeah, I was I'm A.
Speaker 4: BIG east i WENT on tnt last night for a Second With charles Kenny and Shaq and Ernie. And Charles charles Michael patch roll same year as a High School so charles, was, like, yo DUDE like i remember watching YOU. On espn Now his Charles At, auburn megastar but didn't have. That platform so a few people, that KNOW the espn did a deal With The big east in, seventy nine so our games were naturally televised almost. Every game THEY were espn first conference to, Do that so the exposure, was incredible. Incredible platform we played our home Games At Madison square garden In The. Big east Georgetown had patrick and they had, You Know, Reggie Williams, david wingate they.
Speaker 3: Had five or six pros.
Speaker 4: Every year Syracuse Had, Pearl Washington, Derrek Coleman Ron. Ronnie cykelely Villanova Had. Ed pinckney so up, and down every every team had pros and every night was was.
Speaker 3: A battle.
Speaker 4: It was it, was increasing but again as you're going, through it you just focused. On playing but, that exposure uh just exploded. College basketball it really did, to where, you know the kids In The west coast knew who.
Speaker 3: WE were i remember coming.
Speaker 4: Out, here UH when i first came Into, The Warriors gary payton wanted to Go To Saint John's gary, Payton, senior yeah that's where he wanted. To Go mitch Richmond, From, watchington syria he wanted to Go. To syracuse so it was an. Amazing time to be a college player playing against and it was different now WITH the. Ni transporportal most of us stayed. Four years most guys stayed. Four years he's developed a real rivalry with with whether It, Be, Georgetown. Syracuse villanova so, you know just just a great time to be in. College, basketball, again timing we don't. Control that but fortunately at. Home too, oh, yeah, yeah yeah that was that was good, and bad. Mostly good, you know sometimes having that super green.
Speaker 3: Light, yeah yeah. Lime. Green yeah sometimes, YOU know i feel like. You're indestructible.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah Eighty four olympics goal you want to go with Magic And patrick ewing back when kids with college kids was able, to play talk about that experience and the difference between that and the.
Speaker 4: Dreams amazing so historically, speaking now the last amateur team to win the gold medal, eighty eight. We lost the ninety two Of The dream team. Came in that team. Was loaded that was a great great that was, Said, Everybody, Michael Patrick.
Speaker 3: Waymon tisdale it was.
Speaker 4: A problem, incredible player incredible god rest.
Speaker 3: The soul incredible.
Speaker 4: Position, Too Yes, sam perkins he played the bass guitar yeah, backwards, Yeah, left yeah that. Was, dope, yeah, yeah, yeah yeah he was. Legit, Dude Yeah, Vernon Fleming, Leon Wood, Steve Alford, Jeff Turner, Joe Klein, Joe Klein.
Speaker 3: Alvin robertson he, was nice he can. Get buckets he was nice. And, tough yeah he. WAS nice i think. That's everybody let missed, that.
Speaker 4: One obviously That was michael's ultra coming. OUT party i Had Mentioned, Michael. Patrick charlie we were all in the same high. SCHOOL class i Had saw michael the first time The McDonald's all, american game and people tell me, this now like thirty, YEARS later i don't really, remember it but, you know sometimes you. Make comments, they, said man you came back from the McDonald's game and said you saw the greatest player. Ever saw, I'M like i don't really, remember that but as, a, teenager yeah and, YOU know i played against a lot of great Players In, new. York right and then, he said you said the same thing after you came back From the, PanAm tryouts and you said the same thing During the.
Speaker 3: Olympic trials so he was. Just different he, was, different.
Speaker 4: Athletically, fundamentally sound the best athlete on.
Speaker 3: The floor.
Speaker 4: Eighty four we played eight exhibition GAMES against. Nba teams if you look at, those rosters It, Was Magic, isaiah McHale all the.
Speaker 3: Top, guys yeah and.
Speaker 4: Almost, Every night mike who was the best player by far as a junior in college and everybody.
Speaker 3: Knew it and THEN, in la which. Was sick it was fun man Having the olympics IN. L.
Speaker 2: A yeah do you remember that infamous Practice that magic always. Talks, about.
Speaker 4: Yeah but i'll give you one in from his PRACTICE in. La Though So bobby knight was, our Coach, Legendary Bobby.
Speaker 3: Bobby knight he recruited me and cursed me out. Big.
Speaker 2: Time yeah he called my house, and said do you want to Come. To indiana i'm. Like well he cut, me, off, like well you can't. Make decisions they don't worry. About it hung up in my. Mom's face That Was. Bobby knight, Shout Up.
Speaker 4: Boby night bobby was let's do this way rough around, the edges but fundamentally A GOOD yeah. I.
Speaker 3: Did yeah.
Speaker 4: We were PLAYING in la when most games, by thirty we were having practice after.
Speaker 3: The game.
Speaker 4: Oh wow one of, Those Practices leon wood wore a. Hat backwards bobby kicked him out of practice after we had just won, by thirty, so yeah. He was but let me just say This About.
Speaker 3: Bobby night he.
Speaker 4: When he would, travel internationally my dad WAS A us CUSTOMS inspector Jfk In. New york anytime he came through, the airport he made it way Over to sad and. My dad THAT'S why i respect that way away from. The, blight yeah just to say a quick he was a.
Speaker 1: Real, one yeah Ninety Two dream team arguably the greatest team. Ever assembled you shot the shit out of it with the with that team fourteen for twenty six from the three point line during.
Speaker 3: The run.
Speaker 1: What was, That, like again you grew up that this is, your generation, your guys and that the first time all pros are going to face the rest of. The world obviously we saw what you guys did on, the court but what was that experience like in practice in, the bus just kind of hanging around with.
Speaker 4: Those, Guys, yeah matt when we, first started you Talked about, nelly's comments. Magic comments that was the pinnacle of, my career the pinnacle of, my success the reward for all the, hard work, acceptance slash, you know being, being, told yeah you're one of. The best so at that point in time again, timing, wise right you know who knew ninety one that that was going. TO happen i was playing my best basketball at the. Right time so fortunately it was, you know at the peak of. MY career i had played In the, olympics already.
Speaker 3: So to me.
Speaker 4: To be part of that group with some of, My idols magic and burdw WITH guys i looked up to they were. THEY were i watched them in seventy nine in college and watched their. Entire careers tried to emulate. Their games Magic, and larry, you know bought, passing back including, their teammates so the unselfish. Team PLAY so i tried to emulate my game to, those guys and THEN here i am playing, with them. You know so the ultimate in getting respected by, your peers by the people in the, league office and then the impact we're, feeling today that's what we're. Feeling today and it was. Really cool while it was. Going on davis sturned telling us forecasting what it was going. To do he would, tell us you guys have no idea what impact is going to have on, Our game and we're sitting there like that's nice, to say thank you but what does that mean thirty. Years, later yep we have the. Global game third of our third of our league is foreign, born players so that's. The impact, so yeah so, looking back, you know and from, that experience, you know getting to Play.
Speaker 3: With Patrick and michael again In that olympic platform.
Speaker 4: Was cool and then, playing against like, you said the guys who, were rivals but then to spend time away from the court get to know their families and become real friends as opposed to. Just rivals and, you know you guys grew up on the beginning of the so we didn't have, social media so we didn't hang out in. The offseason we would maybe go to a, golf tournament maybe go to a, charity game but we didn't hang. Like that so that was cool to be around each other away from the. Competitive platform so that was. Really nice it, was good and it opened up an OPPORTUNITY because i got Close, with larry NOT that i wasn't close. WITH him i wound up Going to indiana Playing, for larry, you know, years later but, to me it was the ultimate recognition for. My career so, to ME that i didn't Win a, WORLD championship i went to the. Finals once but, for me the thing that really sticks out to me the most on My two olympic experiences that are. So unique both of them are. So different but again. THE timing i was fortunate enough to be playing at a high level both in eighty four and. Ninety two some players Missed those olympic years.
Speaker 1: As amateurs when you're looking back on, it now was that Almost because berg was on his, way out magic was on it because that was that kind of the passing of.
Speaker 3: The torch oh kind of, oh boy what?
Speaker 1: Was?
Speaker 4: That like?
Speaker 3: It was? It was it was a grabbing of. The torch.
Speaker 4: Larry, Passed It. LARRY larry a lot of those practice sessions you, Talked. About jack that one Was. In, monaco yeah so we we were we Went To san diego for. Training camp we had to qualify For the olympics because we lost in. Eighty eight we had to Go to portland for, a tournament and then we took a break and uh Went To. Monte carlo so we Played the french NATIONAL team i think, it was and didn't really. Play Well So chuck dale, IS like i need one more practice before we Go, to barcelona and that's when that that practice, was closed, closed door no one in. The Gym chuck daly split up. The teams michael had, A squad magic had, a squad and they were just.
Speaker 3: Talking TRASH and.
Speaker 4: I remember, You know michael was just Going at Magic and magic was not Giving, up magics, you know one of the greatest players of all time and still was not going to just hand. It over larry had a, bad BACK and, i remember, you know scrimmagine and everyone's talking ship and you Look over larry.
Speaker 3: Just laughing leave that. Guy. Alone man we had our time in.
Speaker 4: The sun but it was literally it was cool to see Not only michael, take It but magic fight.
Speaker 3: For it yeah it a and. Go nothing yeah you, got it. You know so it was.
Speaker 4: Really cool there was another thing about. That experience all those guys stocked, Him Alone. Patrick david, you know you could see why they're so, so successful not only in basketball but after the. Post, career yeah just because of, their professionalism, their dedication discipline and.
Speaker 3: Work ethic so that was really cool.
Speaker 4: To see, so yeah just that that, to me, for me throughout my, basketball career the most memorable Experience.
Speaker 3: THE pacer i mean obviously thirteen. Years, here yeah you.
Speaker 1: Move On how first, of all how tough was that to move On From golden state because that WAS your nba.
Speaker 4: Home and then you Go. To, indiana yeah it was, you know sometimes it's just time. To go boys were, in transition going very. VERY young i was, thirty four probably turning. Thirty five it, was tough, YOU know i thought, about staying but then this Opportunity called larry got the head. Coaching job we had that relationship From The. Dream Team donny walsh. Was, there uh they had a they had a really good team for, many years trying to, you know get, Over, there uh get over. The Hump mark jackson, was there was you KNOW my i Played with mark in, high school in college and, then yeah so my three years With the pacers with three of the best years, they had you know in, MY career i mean the three best two conference FINALS and. Nba finals, you know so played with some incredible you. Know Pros, reggie miller, of course dynamic incredible did You play reggie talk about daily habits and routine does.
Speaker 3: Not vary reggie is a creature of habit and that's why, he's such, you know such a.
Speaker 1: Legendary great all bullshit aside in a practice shootout one on one with You.
Speaker 4: And reggie what did that? Look like did it happened all? The time so what we used to do almost after every practice we would. Shoot threes but wasn't just Me. And reggie we used to four of us would, Shoot, Me reggie mark would join in because, You know mark wouldn't be a shooter competitive.
Speaker 3: And, oh yeah it was automatical and S And.
Speaker 4: Sam perkins sam had so we would we would, go win play show and then the other guy would have.
Speaker 3: To, leave yeah.
Speaker 4: And shoot so we go back. And forth we go back, and forth but not. Many MISSES but i Always respected reggie's his work efter. His, routine man he believed not very he did the same thing.
Speaker 3: Every day. So dedicated. Great teammate AND really I, mean jack you know he carried that franchise for almost.
Speaker 4: Twenty years that's the only reason they traded for me because he. Approved it so got nothing but respect the Admiration. For reggie But but indiana and you, Played, there. JACK unique nba city got a. College atmosphere people drive around the cars with the flags, like yeah like it's.
Speaker 3: It's a.
Speaker 4: UNIQUE experience i have had three great, Years There Antonio Davis Dale Davis, Rick Smith's, Al Harrington, John Bend, Jalen Rose traveling fast.
Speaker 3: Incredible, team yeh we loved we lost in the finals To when Shaq and kobe won that first in. Two.
Speaker 1: Thousand, yeah yeah but then that the shack filed, Out, right Yeah j is That What jalen Rose got kobe won?
Speaker 3: The, ankle, yes, yes yes that's that's.
Speaker 4: Most of them people think. IT was i think it was four to two, pose series seven game SERIES with mj in.
Speaker 2: Ninety, eight uh six game Series against shaging two thousand and the finals.
Speaker 3: Are lost were.
Speaker 2: Talking while We on reggie Talk about reggie and his workouts and how you PREPARE because i seen him with, my eyes, you know, every morning even before on, game days were just leaving to go to leave from. Shooting around he's on his way to, the arena you Know what. I'm, saying, so like how what did you See in reggie that was different that set him Apart? From, MARYBODY yeah i, to me because he don't get his props like he should.
Speaker 4: Really know he's he's one of those guys as an opponent and, the teammate the ultimate. Respects, admiration YEAH because i watched him every, single day whether it be taking care of, his ankles to getting, his rest to getting there early to get his. Shooting routine in all, those things he never changed his daily routine. At all he was so. Locked in and then the THREE years i, WAS there i DON'T think i saw a guy make more clutch Shots Than. Reggie miller it. Was amazing and he's the first guy in MY mind i can remember that started taking like ten threes. A game, Back, then guys if you, took four, toy're, like, yo DoD what do? You?
Speaker 2: Do like?
Speaker 4: Hold down reggie was, taking ten twelve threes and making five, or, six dude and. Clutch threes he was a, clutch. Performer dude and you Know when larry, took over he had a nice.
Speaker 3: Post game he was getting to the free. Throw.
Speaker 4: Line man those three YEARS that i played, WITH him i don't think there was a more clutch performer In those he was incredible and he went, you know Him and michael they.
Speaker 3: Went.
Speaker 4: Added dude you talk about that seven game series we Lost. To chicago we were up thirteen in the in the, FIRST half, i think and it was a low. Scoring game that was that was we, Had, THEM man.
Speaker 3: I Couldn't guard Reggie because reggie moved. Too much you, know what they would do. Too much they would they Would put.
Speaker 4: Scottie on Mark Because phil jackson's defensive strategy was take the take the ball. Moving away they Would put Scotty on Mark and Michael meo reggie and then almost try and stop the ball movement to almost eliminate almost, shot attempts not so much when he had, the ball but cut down.
Speaker 3: His, Attempts Now, Reggie, miller man he's one of.
Speaker 4: The greatest what was that like as? A, coach Okay So larry bird obviously you guys know.
Speaker 3: OF him i didn't play against. You played he was there in the.
Speaker 2: Front office hedn't want to actually called ME when i got my big Deal, with indiana he actually.
Speaker 4: Called me but as, a player, MM hmmm i don't know that off, the charts like off. The shots i'll put him up, against anybody especially in a. Playoff series so nasty. Passing it he does it all talk shit, like crazy but quietly only, to you which is, you know not just, to you and which messes you.
Speaker 3: Up more but as, a coach.
Speaker 4: Kept it, real simple, real fundamental, beyond time play on selfish and.
Speaker 3: Play hard, sounds silly but a lot. OF people i was there.
Speaker 4: Three seasons we had one guy late one time and. That's it, no, drama nothing because it just didn't go.
Speaker 3: For it so this is, What.
Speaker 4: Happened jack we're, Playing preseason larry's first. Year coaching we're Going to We're, leaving indiana Going to nashville for a. Preseason game it's like ten. Fifty eight everyone's on. The Plane david craig the training comes Up, To larry Travis. And dale they're coming from the they're in the in the jetway or whatever the time. Is it it's eleven. Wheels up so the plane's running down and. Taking off Travis and dale are running after, the plane. Running running literally we. Took off, everyone's like, You, Know. Savedal savedale after, that day though no one ever. Laid again that, was preseason which was. Perfect timing larry was so so blunt and to, the point, you know halftime you, be, like uh he fucking stars gonna start playing man in. Five minutes i'm taking your. ASS out i remember Game, In milwaukee i'm like four. For nine, you know you, know whatever you're not, playing great but not he, said money, come here you're gonna make a fucking shot? Or?
Speaker 3: What man just keep it.
Speaker 4: Real simple AND when i Liked, about LARRY and i did IT when i was a Coach At, saint john's he really empowered his. Assistant coach We Had, dick harder who's in charge. Of defense he let him do the defense no. Matter what We had rick in charge. Of Offense now rick would draw the plays up in the timeout and everything. Everyone thought. Larry didn't larry told him what play. He wanted he just wasn't. An artist he knew what the hell he.
Speaker 3: Was doing he. CONTROLLED everything i really.
Speaker 4: Appreciated that and by, the way we started winning a lot and they started question. Who's, coaching well he was, doing everything but he empowered, his assistance which is really what a good, teammate does what a good. LEADER does, i mean we can talk for a, long time but mother's got. Other obligations give a round up Applause For. Chris, mullen, yes sir. The legend, thank.
Speaker 3: You Bro thanks matt mm hmmm mmm