Speaker 1: Welcome into the Ravens Press Past podcast. It is Monday, August twelfth. The Ravens wrapped up another day at training camp practice and afterwards we had a chance to hear from head coach John Harbaugh.
Speaker 2: All Right, good seeing everybody. I appreciate you being here. Another great day and uh a good a good camp practice. Our guys really got locked in and focused on trying to improve and uh competed a lot of ones against ones today and it was good to see the competition and that's how you get better. What questions you have.
Speaker 3: I Kyle old Man annoyed from.
Speaker 2: The beginning, what kind of difference does that bring as far as his leadership in a position group where he's definite the better There no question Kyle has definitely I think he's enjoyed being here from the beginning. I mean, you know, you come in once the season has begun and you just kind of trying to play catch up with with the with the defensive scheme, but also with the relationships. Now he's one of the guys. Everybody knows him respect. He's definitely a leader, knows the defense very well and practicing hard every day. So it should should be a plus for us.
Speaker 4: In regards to Chuck Smith, kind of that last season definitely improved your pass rush and a year positions as pass rushing coach more specific with his specialty being in that avenue, just how much is that beneficial for you?
Speaker 2: And then you know it's kind of a unique way to do it. And Chuck, Chuck's it all around football coach. You know, he can coach. He coaches every part of the position. He was a pass rusher as a player, one of one of the all time great pass rushers, and then kind of took that on as a as a as an obsession almost, I would say, and he's become one of one of the maybe the best foremost pass rushing coach in the business. I feel that way about him. So to have him here with our guys, I mean that speaks a lot to what we're you know, I think the way the guys are building into his style and what he teaches, and I know they love it. You know, they love learning from him. So let's see where it takes is it was good last year?
Speaker 4: John?
Speaker 2: Along those lines, how much did Chuck contribute to the decision to get it this draft from Jeoh? Chuck was a part of that for sure. I mean he's looking at all the pass rushers and all the all the trades of those outside backers generally, So he had a big influence on that. Practicing in the flow.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they always have.
Speaker 2: A sort of a ramp up plan that we try to abide by and follow, and those guys are on that on that path. But it was good to see him back out there. Pile Hamilton are beginning to go to work on the train. If you have an update on him and what kind of your plan for him the next week, right, Well, yeah, it would be kind of ramping back a little bit. He's he's good, you know, it's a it's a it's kind of a minor a sprain, i'd say a sprain. And so we got out there and moved around little bit today and he'll just kind of progress each day a little more be out there going. Oh so shots like that l brackets all at once? Is it just shot bag?
Speaker 5: Is it just a matter of a pain issue? More injury play and way back?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Do we really need to get in all that specifically? Okay, I appreciate that. He'll be he'll be fine, He'll be okay, he'll be fine. He's trying. He's trying to gt himself out there and as much as he can, and he'll be out there soon.
Speaker 6: Our Garius Washington's had a couple of really good practices in a row. Coaches have spoken very highly of him over last season and.
Speaker 4: A half or so.
Speaker 6: Talk about what you've seen in his development over the last while.
Speaker 2: Then, yeah, you know it's funny. Darius and I had a conversation today in my office and it was a good one. Wasn't called to the principal's office. It was just to guy of talk about his vision for the season and what he thought, uh, he could accomplish. And he's playing at a high level. You saw it today. He's playing both safety positions. He's playing the nickel and you could play the he could play the corner outside if you had to. You got to get you out of the game. And he could go in a dime if he had to. He knows the defense that well. His style is is pretty much patented. That's his style, the way he plays, and I think it's a style worthy of emulating. So very glad he's on our team.
Speaker 3: You can boil down what it is, Josh Johnson. That's kind of earned your confidence over the years.
Speaker 7: What is it?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, Josh Johnson's a vet, he's a pro. He's he's when he's played in games he's played, He's played good football in games. Hadn't been a lot, but he's played good football games. He's gonna run our offense. Well, we we love Josh damn.
Speaker 4: Like, what is that Ramball Plambell play?
Speaker 2: Would you like to see him in the preseason? I would love to see him in Preseason's just gonna depend on the you know, his ability to do it with the uh, the recovery from he had bilateral uh sports herney of surgery. So uh, I think he's got a good shot. You just have to see how it comes along the next week or.
Speaker 3: So on the entight imfilstation. How do you see Kenny to his male people being in the bestat in blocking game?
Speaker 2: You know, Uh, he's kind of a surprise as a blocker. And the physicality if he saw it out there today, he's he's he's he's definitely a player NFL player and coaches kid. I mean, he's tough, he's not afraid. He throws it in there and plays bigger than his size, And you know, I think he's doing a good job. I think we're just one of the.
Speaker 1: Trendit Ganthier several weeks in. How do you kind of see the team come together.
Speaker 2: Around set out as the.
Speaker 4: Sort of this and building around that?
Speaker 2: You say it against complicated questions. You just asked me, I kind of lost I lost you there. To be honest with you, how has it you got to.
Speaker 1: Come together around the vision, change to set it out.
Speaker 4: At the start?
Speaker 2: All the teams come together around the vision. That is kind of a complicated question. I would say, very well, you know, and I think the vision what you become as a football team is a product of the people who do it and what they do, you know, and what happens every day and the things the challenges that you have and the obstacles you have to overcome and how you approach those things and if you're willing to keep fighting and keep getting back up and uh and never quit and then you know it's it's not The fight's not over until you say it is, no matter what happens, and that's you know, it's it's a big statement, but camp's a little bit like that. You know, you got to keep coming back every day and come out and grind and and try to become better, become a better player, to better team every day. And I think our guys are doing that and that's really the task at hand right now. And our areas had another nice practice that's really got a lot of them came up.
Speaker 1: How significant you know, he's obviously just that it's being healthy.
Speaker 4: And then obviously if you got him the terms of the secondaries, this should be hard.
Speaker 8: For game with me and everything.
Speaker 2: Can you ask me again, are Darius how significant is it haven't been happen to see and making plays?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 2: Oh, the same question you asked. All right, it's very significant. He's playing very well and he I would just tell you this. I mean, you're right. I mean, it's great to have Maltres. He's been hurt a couple of years ago, and he's not He's he's healthy, and I think he's fulfilling what we always hoped he would do. And I really expect him have a big year. I think he's gonna play great football for us. So it's a it's a big deal. Yeah, absolutely too.
Speaker 1: Well, did Lamar get the answer that he wanted when.
Speaker 3: He showed the rest of the I pad.
Speaker 2: It's a good question. I don't know, it's a great question. Now, that's the best question today right there.
Speaker 1: We also heard from veteran linebacker Kyle van Doy.
Speaker 6: Has it been having this full year to be with the team now as opposed to coming in so lain What kind of differences are they?
Speaker 8: A lot of differences. I know, the playbook that helps, no teammates, and then just yeah, a lot of different things, just expectations, standard and people on staff just kind of just come in and flow, and it's been awesome. It's fun getting to see young guys compete, and myself being young, competing out there with them.
Speaker 3: It's been good.
Speaker 4: Jokingly or maybe not jokingly, said you're at the quodium after one of the games last year that printing camps overrated.
Speaker 8: That's funny, that's good, you're good. Good memory weeks. Yeah, I mean for me, it's I'm here, so I'm gonna do what I have to do to get better. Right That was then, this is now. We're getting better as a unit. Just the growth from the first day on the field to where we're at now offensively, defensively, and special teams.
Speaker 3: With the new schemes and new.
Speaker 8: Rules that are in place, just everybody getting comfortable and you can see a huge difference and we're just getting better. And I know it's cliche to say, but after being on the first day to where we're at now, it's like a side of relief because it's like everybody's finally feeling comfortable and learning kind of what is expected younger guys and then the older guys trying to continue that standard that's been in place.
Speaker 3: You get to the point where you get to that was good you bully did right there.
Speaker 2: When you get to the point where you get to choose what team that you want to go to as a pass pressure is how much moo withdrawal is that you get the chance.
Speaker 3: To work with Jumpston.
Speaker 8: Yeah, that's a really good question. I think it's a big draw right now because not many teams have somebody that's like him, that is has played in the NFL a long time and was successful and is a high level coach that is teaching technique. A lot of places worry about scheme. This place worries about scheme and technique, and he's a pass rush technician and he's very very good, and he's helped me a lot in my career, and he's helped other players, and I'm excited to get back to work with him again.
Speaker 4: You had, Joe Evans had a very long night the other night in there.
Speaker 2: Big Joe, unbelievable amount of work and you obviously sat out the game. What do you talk about on the sidelines with somebody like.
Speaker 8: Jen, Yeah, that's mister Iowa right there. He's a Iowa hawkey if I've ever seen one. Big Joe. Just love his passion for the game. I love that he didn't complain one bit. I mean, not only is it a interview for this place, right it's an interview for thirty one other teams.
Speaker 3: And he did a really good job.
Speaker 8: Obviously he wasn't perfect, but to play as many snaps as he did, and you know the you know, his pass rush and just being all over the place.
Speaker 3: I was proud of him.
Speaker 8: And you just I don't try to I try to stay back and if they come up and ask, you know, or if I see a pointer, I don't. I don't ever want to be in somebody's flow like that, especially when they're grinding the way he was grinded to be, Like, hey, do this. You know, it's easy for me to say so. I was really proud of how he played, Like it's awesome. He's a he is a team favorite right now for sure.
Speaker 3: Is talking about your role kind.
Speaker 4: Of focusing a lot of the pass rush being passed rush of the season.
Speaker 5: How much can that focus that level Pasdelli into that aspect the game really helped home better pass rusher at this stage your career.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I think I have answered this one before, but again I'll answer it again. I haven't played on the ball like this for very long out of my eleven years. Now, this will be year three out of my eleven that I solely haven't had to worry about playing middle linebacker with a Green DoD and telling I still kind of tell people what to do every once in a while, but not as much communication. Just focusing on my task and opportunity to win a one on one and just getting better at it and grinding at it. It started back this offseason with my past rush coach in Salt Lake, who we grinded a lot, and then with Chuck, you know, grinding it when I've gotten here to just get better and then not only myself, but to continue to harp on the other guys too, like, I don't want to just do it by myself. I want everybody to come with me type of you. And I'm excited. Uh Doff has looked really really.
Speaker 3: Good this camp.
Speaker 8: I'm excited to see him play and Jaws getting healthier, and then t Rob's gotten a lot better. So the group is really grown, and I'm happy that everybody is trying to perfect their craft because one year can change your life, and so I hope all those guys really continue to grind because they they're able to now have the opportunity to change their lives.
Speaker 3: That was good, you win you Yeah, kind.
Speaker 5: Of touched on it at the end of that.
Speaker 6: But the young Edgebrushers that are expected to make that league this season, where are you see nerve as growth and development?
Speaker 8: That's a good question. I've just like, I like to be honest. I mean, we can go collective. I'm just gonna put them all together because all of them are learning at different paces right. Some have been injured, some have been on the field a lot, and now would just be I would just say confidence is the main thing that I've seen, the confidence to really know their job. And then the confidence of making plays and being able to feed off one and stacking another. And you know that's just not only confidence but confidence a practice and then putting a week and putting a preseason game, and you're gonna see it this next Uh, this whole week we've seen progression, but then you'll see it in this next game. The progression of just that confidence. I really think it is going to continue to show each and every game.
Speaker 1: How are you seeing him leave the offense, leave.
Speaker 8: The offense and taking short Yeah, I'm.
Speaker 3: Very proud of him.
Speaker 8: Me and LJ are have a good relationship and I'm happy for that. And just seeing his growth not only as a player but as a person's awesome too. Just his leadership skills being off the field is grown, and then his leadership skills on the field has grown. Just wanting something done precisely and going and communicating that and then just talking trash. He's always going to do that. So it's always fun to have those competitive periods against them, and you know, just him working on his craft. You can see his mechanics, you can see him, you know, pushing the ball down the field and then just running. Right now, I don't know very many people right now that can catch them. I mean, he's he's one of one, and it's been really impressive to see him in the open field during practice. Obviously we're not tackling, but there are a lot of misses are happening. So it's fun to go against a top quarterback like that every day to get better and just excited to see what he's going to do this year. When you came your last year, you saw Ronnie Stanley's running through some of.
Speaker 3: The minor injuries that you can't feel that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, what we've seen him with you know, coming by guess three or four weeks now in Rafrey camp for him as he's like attention.
Speaker 3: To how do you feel about being the last question? Though?
Speaker 8: Okay, winner, Ronnie's done a really good job of blocking out the noise. I know he dealt with it a lot last year and it's tough. I've been in that situation too a time in my career where you just had one of those injury bug years and you just try to you know, we call it thug it out or you're just trying to do whatever you can to get through the games and try to play it the best of your ability and I think he did that. He literally laid it on the line for trying to win a championship last year, and you know, he deserves a lot of credit for that. But I know, I know, I don't want to speak for himself, but I know he wants to be great, right And this year he's done a great job of leading the group. He's been kind of the spokes men for that line with the guys like Moses and Kevin Zeidler leaning. He's really done a great job of being the voice and you know, picking it up and letting everybody know and you know, they need to be better and beyond their stuff. It's awesome to see, especially during one on ones, he's coaching the guys up and they're getting better and he's got to be that to go where we need to go. And it's awesome to see him play at a high level. And it's awesome to go against too. He's a top tackle, he's been all Pro. So it's a good look for everybody. So awesome. Yeah, thank you, guys.
Speaker 1: Lastly, we heard from pass rush coach Chuck Smith. He's really an expert in the past rush department. He talked about how the Ravens was going to grow in that area.
Speaker 6: You obviously had a big impact on Justin Mettabka last year. Can you talk to us a little about how you coach, any differences and similarities you see in coaching into your versus edge pass rushing.
Speaker 7: Well, the first thing is making the inside guys understand that they're more than just big guys. You know, let him know Beaks know their understanding that you're more just a two gapper. In the modern era, now pass rush, the big guys are getting double digit sacks if you look around the NFL. So the mindset of the traditional three four team was that the big guy's gotta be what space eaters. Now as you see from a guy like Meta Beak and some more other guys that can you know, really rush the passer and around the league, you know, you try to explain to them. It's a mindset initially about you know, how do I see myself? Because if you pigeonhole yourself into I'm just a big guy, too gapper, then you always be that way.
Speaker 5: So and given the player a lot of credit Beak.
Speaker 7: Putting a lot of work of training, he continues to be on the same regimen and he works hard and he bleeds in himself.
Speaker 3: To answer your question one, the difference of similarities to ed.
Speaker 7: Rushing, Oh, the difference is, well, the bodies inside are a little more compact together. The guys outside are more streamlined. And I call it like the one second rule. For guys inside, you have to execute your move at one second because the offensive linemen are gonna have their hands at one second. Outside it's somewhere around two seconds. So when you understand that, it's the difference really between a fastball and a curveball, you know what I mean. So inside it's gonna be a fastball. Outside it's more of a curveball. To answer your question, yep, all right.
Speaker 3: Cool.
Speaker 2: What special about Kyle Van Nory's in passbaw.
Speaker 7: He wants to be a great pass rusher, And I think what's really special is that after all these years he's been at multiple teams now he says, man, I've never had a chance to just focus on all pass rush. I mean he's a nickel rusher and all the other places he was off the ball, he was on the ball. Sort of thing that's cool is he really understands how the games work, you know, inside because he's done those kinds of things and he just loves it, and he talks. We talk about pass rush all the time. When he comes off the field, We'll be walking by each other, we talk about pass rush and offseason, you know, he'll send me some videos because he put in a lot of work this offseason as well as last offseason, and he.
Speaker 5: Really just loves pass rush.
Speaker 7: And it's pretty awesome when you get a guy, you know, at this stage that says, you know what, I'm cool to come off, but basically come off the bench, so to speak, No, not as it started, not traditionally bench sounds kind of a little harsh, but you know what I mean, you know, to come off and accept my role and thrive at it. And he's always just talking and has great ideas and as everybody here you might have noticed, I mean, dude is super smart. I mean he's really I mean, he played for Belichick. He played for a lot of great guys, so that, you know, it does give you some credibility with understanding defense with.
Speaker 4: The Daphe what do you what do you what you need to do to take that sure the next step?
Speaker 3: Obviously he's happy I see you out here.
Speaker 5: He's in the back for a lot.
Speaker 2: What do you what does he need to do? Just kind of make that next ram I.
Speaker 5: Guess the games.
Speaker 7: Okay, well, let me explain something first about a DAFE. Let's so for everyone here that looked at last year, Okay, first things first, a DAFE came out, you know, smoking right, Okay, a DAPE end up having five sacks, all right, he missed what four or five games? Pretty miss four and then he went out half on another against five games. He ends up being on a team that brings in two veterans that get over.
Speaker 5: Two hundred and fifty snaps. Easy.
Speaker 7: So when you look at the big picture, if a DAPE is healthy, and remember we gave JD and kV almost five hundred is it might be more that because I think JD had over three hundred something snaps. So, from all fairness to a DAFE, and I know you know, it's all about production, and I do understand that when you look at it from a past first standpoint, the numbers just didn't equate because the guys absorbed a lot of his reps too, you know what I mean. So, and that's not making an excuse for him, but that's just keeping it, being truthful about it.
Speaker 5: From his situation now, what.
Speaker 7: He needs to do first and foremost, he just needs to have those reps. He needs to be on the field and continue to get those reps. He needs to continue to you know, do what he's doing now, you know, playing fast, executing his moves and things like that. And you know, if he gets those five games and those other f m arguably four or five hundred.
Speaker 5: Reps, heah, he's a double digit sacker, you know what I mean.
Speaker 7: And and again even again he missed for and to have five games go count, I mean, you got I always hear the little jokes about sometimes about him missing sacks. He did miss seven eight nine sacks I mean in the season. So again he's getting there. He's gonna be an a list rusher, and I'm just excited for him. You know, he's buying in and as he always has. He's a good dude, and no one deserves to finally reach that pinnacle in the DAFE. And I think he's gonna, uh, you know, go a hundred percent to reach that goal.
Speaker 5: Last year, guys let lead in sacks.
Speaker 7: He probably before the season that if people wanted to look at you guys that way, but this year have to lose in JD. Now he learned some of these name whereas the passman. How much you guys, players and even yourself take that as a challenge.
Speaker 5: Man, I really don't aven't care what people think.
Speaker 7: I mean being honest with you, because at the end of the day, you know, we're gonna go out and do our best. If we don't reach the goal that we were we want. Everybody wants to be the best pass rust in the league. But from my standpoint and the guys, if it doesn't happen, we're not gonna be like, oh man, We're gonna get back to the drawing board and see what happens moving forward, you know. But it's not one of those things. And it relates to JD. When JD came in, I taught JD's okay, So I mean everyone you know he came in here and got taught. He's already being taught. So JD wasn't some you know, what do they say, a guy who came in and saved to day. No, we had already trained him. So he was really already under kind of the Ravens somewhat window. Because I have been training him for years. So but nah, I'm not trying to be But that's really weird. I don't even think about that. I could care less. All I want to do. My goal is to really impact quarterbacks by beating them up.
Speaker 5: Similar as that.
Speaker 7: If we beat up the quarterbacks and his ending's not always the way he wants, then we've had an impact and the numbers will come.
Speaker 6: When did you first hear about Ajiza Isaac Isaac?
Speaker 2: And what did you like about him that made you find him on the team?
Speaker 5: And now since then, what.
Speaker 3: Are you working about him?
Speaker 5: Well? First time I seen him just watching Penn State Auburn.
Speaker 7: Now it was that last year or two years ago, Penn State Auburn and they beat the Brakes.
Speaker 5: Out of Auburn.
Speaker 7: Now I don't know any War Eagles around here, but I'm of all. But that's a whole nother story. But I watched him. He was fantastic. And when I watched his film, he was explosive, had power, had you know, the ability to change direction and all those other things. They was super smart, you know, and uh, you know, he had good length and I'm not a person that's caught up. And he's tall and long. I could care less, but he's tall and long, and he has you know, a lot of strength, and he was a good dude. I got a chance to talk to him and thought he would fit in. And we were in the market for someone, but also wanted someone that can fit in, has the right mindset that can work in a team, cause the team.
Speaker 5: Was kind of like a puzzle.
Speaker 7: All the pieces gotta fit and our room has got to be like that as well.
Speaker 5: I like, you know, a DC.
Speaker 7: I mean he's out there just getting started, you know, and it's exciting to see him do some good things about obviously, hell of today fading in y'allo is hitting this rep fields.
Speaker 4: What do you see in his game?
Speaker 3: He does?
Speaker 6: He need to make his strikes kind of have to break out.
Speaker 5: And this year, well you know, you want number one.
Speaker 7: I'm sure Harbes has talked about it from I can't get into the medical stuff, but I know he's working hard, you know. I know he's you know, had a good spend today. I know he's running to the ball, I know he's striking blocks. I know he's showing signs that you know, he's improving, you know. And I've had a torn acl and anybody's ever had one knows.
Speaker 5: It takes time to come back.
Speaker 7: But he's out there fighting, he's out there scraping, and I just think that if he continues the way he's going, he's gonna, you know, have success because he knows how to He's got moves. Now, we just gotta, you know, give him the opportunity, you know, for him to be healthy to be able to execute those moves.
Speaker 4: Soh some turnover from the pass rushing her blaster to this year, you make sure, not really caring about.
Speaker 5: The sack totals that they'll come.
Speaker 4: What is it that at this point can't that excites you the most of the move?
Speaker 7: Well, we're in the year two of guys who we've developed, the guys inside. Everybody in our unit has a skilled move. Everybody in the unit understands the language we talk. We have a specif ethic language that we taught. We have certain moves, how we say it, certain approaches, certain things that we wanted to kind of implement last year where everybody on the front has can be a threat at some point, whether we're in our raven group with three bigs, you know, Mike p y'all watched Mike p he was rushing last year, Roddy got sacks, Travis got sacks. Herb had three sacks last year. So you want, you know, everyone to be able to do that. And that's kind of the good thing is that we want everybody to be a threat threat. You know, to ask your question, I might have been rambling. Okay, I'm sorry.
Speaker 6: About body competition of pass rushers or Tavius Robinson's kind of a unique building a guy and he's had some time to develop in the system.
Speaker 3: Now what do you see from him?
Speaker 5: Man, he's a glass eater.
Speaker 7: Tav's Robinson is He's never turned down one rep since he's been here. That's the best way to describe this dude. Every play and I'm not exaggerating. He has given effort every day. Tavus Robinson listens to the coach every day. He works out hard, he's early every day when he gets in those drills, he puts hands on people in the run. He continues to work hard to continue to develop as a pass rusher and his main responsibility for us because remember Tavi's played last year. I mean Tavia's was in big games early on. He's not I mean he's not like a second year guy's never played. I mean he's went out there and smashed with some of the great teams that we faced. But I really can't say enough about him as far as who he is and how physical he is and he takes shows no mercy. Tavius Robinson is everything you look for and what like Coach Harbaugh says A raven Tavius and I always member here, I'm gonna tell you he has never turned down a rep. He's never not run to the ball, and that's that's saying a lot about a player. And I mean he's uh, it's all the truth. I'm just telling you who he really is. And everybody here will say that.
Speaker 1: You're listening to the Ravens Press Pass podcast. Sure you hear that subscribe button. Also head over to the Lounge podcast feed as well. Thank you so much for listening. We'll be back with you again tomorrow