Speaker 1: I miss a green, for example, I'm already upset. When I find my ball in the bunker, I'm really upset.
Speaker 2: And when I find my.
Speaker 3: Ball in a fried egg Friday egg, the dreaded Frida Egg Friday Egg, Frida Egg brid Egg, Frida Egg Bride egg Lie.
Speaker 1: I'm about ready to run off of the.
Speaker 4: Welcome to the Frida Egg Golf Podcast. I'm Garrett Morrison, and today we're talking about the state of amateur golf with Lawrence Donagan. But first before we get into that, we're going to talk about what we're in on and what we're out on this week. Here to do that with me is Joseph Lamania. Joseph, what are you in on?
Speaker 3: Gary, I'm in on the unexpected wonderful golf weekend that we had the Women's Olympics, which was a super exciting finish with Lydia Coe. You don't always know that you're gonna get a compelling finish down the stretch. She had to play great golf, and she did play great golf. Was super emotional when she won. Thought that was a delightful ending to a great Olympics, both on the men's and the women's side. And then we got the little cherry on top yesterday evening with Matt Coocher's debacle at the Window Championship, which I don't know how plugged you and you were to that situation, Garrett. But in case anyone missed it, every golfer got done with a marathon of play at Sedgefield after rains storms. They crammed everybody in except for one Matt Coocher, who returned to finish on Monday morning. If you somehow missed it, he was completely out of contention. T twelve missed the FedEx Cup playoffs like just nothing. I mean there is still some fall positioning to play for, very little to play for, and decided that he was not going to finish the eighteenth hole due to darkness, despite the other guys in his group finishing, and he came out made a nice dramatic par this morning as we're recording this. So you never know what kind of weekends you're going to get in August. It could have been sleepy, but between lydia Co and Matt Kucher, I love that windfall we got this past weekend.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, created an extra day of work for all the tournament's staff and you know, I was just doing Matt Kucher things. I think my favorite part of this was his explanation of why he did that. He was trying to set an example, right, he was trying to set an example for a playing partner of his, and this playing partner happens to be happens to be twenty nine years old.
Speaker 3: He apologized to everyone today that he had to be the one that didn't get to finish. I loved the passive language there, as if some wrong had been done.
Speaker 4: Happened to him, right, happened to him? Do it happened to him?
Speaker 3: But I'm in on that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean it seemed it seemed to be pretty delightful. I was actually out at dinner with with some neighbors when when this was all happening. But I came back and it was one of those things where I had to gradually piece together what was going on from a variety of different tweets, and that's always an interesting process. But eventually the picture came into focus. This is Matt Coucher being Matt Coucher and uh and and that is always always pretty funny. But we haven't we haven't seen it in a while. From from Cuture. He's he's been a little bit obscure lately, hasn't hasn't really been a factor. But man, when he gets back in the spotlight, he he really seems to make the most of it. So all credit to him.
Speaker 3: Good to have him back. Yeah, what are you in on, Garrett?
Speaker 4: I'm in on men's and women's fields playing simultaneous or back to back tournaments at the same venue.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: This has obviously been tried a couple of times. It hasn't worked that well. It does work well at the VIC Open in Australia where this is the format of the tournament. They play simultaneously. They kind of mix the men's and women's fields together and it seems to really give that tournament an identity and people are excited about it. There's a thirty six whole facility that they play at that helps it all function. Didn't really work that well when they tried it at the Australian Open. The Ausie seem to be going after this a bit like trying to make this happen, which is a great thing. But they did it at the Australian Open and the logistics seem to have not worked that well. So there are ways that these simultaneous tournaments can come off well and there are ways that they can fail, and so you just have to execute it right. I also think it's interesting to see men's and women's fields playing back to back tournaments at the same venue as they did at the Olympics, at the Golf Nacional, as they did at those US Opens back in twenty fourteen at Pinehurst, and I believe a repeat of that structure of the US Opens, the Women's Open as well as the Men's Open, is coming up in a few years as well, and so this is being tried. But whenever it happens, I love it as a golf nerd, seeing men's and women's fields playing the same course in very different ways, seeing different holes be set up in distinct ways is really interesting, something that I wish maybe the telecast made more of or showed more of. I do think people would be interested in that if they were delivered that kind of content, So I'd just like to see more experimentation here. And obviously I think that this kind of this kind of mashing up of the men's and women's games could potentially really help the women's game reach a larger and more enthusiastic audience than the LPGA Tour seems to have so far this year. This season has been really interesting on the LPGA Tour for a number of reasons, Nellie Korda being one big one. But it just doesn't seem to be gaining much public momentum, and so I'd like to see the powers that be try to figure out how to unlock some of that enthusiasm that surely would be there if women's golf tournaments were presented properly and given a stage to shine. So yeah, like this idea of the men's and women's fields being kind of in the same place at the same time and playing the same course.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I thought it was super cool during the US Open at Pinehurst in twenty fourteen, how some of the women were out watching the men's tournament and warming up getting ready for their week, like as the men were playing theirs tournament. It'd be cool to see it go in the other direction too, But I mean, scheduling is just a huge part of that, right, Like none of those guys were sticking around in Paris after they were done with the Olympics. Some of them had to go play the Windom Championship. So this just gets into the scheduling and the lack of cooperation generally. But Garrett, I guess where do you land on some kind of mixed team event at the twenty twenty eight Olympics? Like that seems there are people of two minds on that one. This version of the Olympics worked very well and the individual portion of this seem to motivate players both on the men's and the women's side, to where now the Olympics is an unbelievably compelling event, Like let's not do away with that, right, Like, let's not try something that gets away from a winning formula. But there are only two weeks to run these events, So do you think that doing a team mixed event in between is the winning formula? Like? How do you think this comes to fruition? Because I think a team mixed event would be super compelling. I just don't want to jeopardize something that's already special.
Speaker 4: It's hard to work it out, because, yes, the stroke play tournaments, now that we're three additions in, seem to have gained their own identity. You know, there were objections and including I would imagine from me, I don't exactly. Remember what I said about this at the time, But when I heard that they were doing seventy two whole stroke play, I was disappointed for the Olympics. I wished that they had been a little more daring and creative. But now that that's what we've settled on, this is the Olympics tournament.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 4: It has that identity and it has that kind of tradition. So far, it's not much of a tradition yet because again only three but this is what it is, and so we've got to keep that and got it. We've got to build on that. But yeah, I'd love to see a mixed team event. I'd love to see some match play, some you know, some kind of teammate interaction between between players, which we don't get right now. But I just don't know how that's going to be worked out practically. And furthermore, I think that especially the men, are at their limit with the Olympics of what they're willing to do for free. They've got the President's Cup, I mean, none of this is They're not doing it for free. They're get they're getting paid in a number of different ways for these things, but you know, it's not not big prize money. They've got the Olympics, they've got the President's Cup, they've got the right Cup. I fear that adding more Olympic events would just set up those events as well as the existing ones that we already have, for failure. I think there would be some attrition. I think there would be players who would balk at doing not just the seventy two hoole stroke play, but also the additional event. I think there would be players who wouldn't want to go that far with it, and that's unfortunate. I don't think that's the right thing or the right attitude necessarily. I think that's just the reality.
Speaker 3: I haven't thought too much about the optimal format, but thinking about it right now in real time, I could see some kind of it doesn't need to be four days, Like what if it's the very front end of the Olympics in twenty twenty eight, there's like a two day team mixed event, where like maybe it's one day of best ball in the morning, alternate shot in the afternoon, and then they take the top four teams and do some kind of little match play the next day. That's not a huge lift, it's a decent amount of golf for the teams that go all the way to the finals. But I think if you ask four days of them, they're much less likely to say yes. If it's two days and they get a little bit of time to play the golf course get ready for their own individual stroke play events, it could be a cool way to set the stage. So maybe they should experiment with an abbreviated format, some kind of sprint one or two day event. I think would be pretty.
Speaker 4: Cool, little prologue.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I mean imagine seeing Minji Lee and Min Wuli play together as brother and sister. That would be incredible.
Speaker 4: All right, Joseph, what are you out on?
Speaker 3: I am out on the stranglehold that ranking systems have over the professional golf world just in general. I know that the official World Golf rankings has been in the crosshairs a lot. Team Europe, in announcing their criteria for how you're going to qualify for the Ryder Cup in twenty twenty five, did not include any official World Golf ranking. It's not included as part of the criterias as to how you get points, and it was part of their criteria in twenty twenty three that was how three of the spots were allocated was based on Official World Golf Ranking. I think the second order effects of what ranking systems do there are benefits. It's cool to see that some players in the top ten for however many consecutive weeks, or it was in the top ten and twenty ten and then again in twenty twenty, and you see these You evaluate the players legacies and windows of their careers via the Official World Golf Ranking. So I think it has its positives. But the way that it funnels players to one tour or as we may talk about on this podcast as a little teaser, the wagger the amateur golf rankings, some of the knock on effects that has if you're deterring players from showing up because it's going to impact their rankings, either as an amateur or as a professional. That's just one of the cons to having a ranking system, and I do think the golf world should consider if potentially the golf world would be better off without having a ranking system that had some of these negative effects like preventing players from showing up because they're prioritizing their rankings, or funneling players into one location, in this case America on the men's side, it is a worthwhile conversation to consider some of the benefits of going away from or making ranking systems less central to the golf ecosystem, so to speak.
Speaker 4: What would happen if we just eliminated all of them tomorrow? If we just did like a fanouse snap and all of the world rankings systems in golf just disappeared, What do you think would happen?
Speaker 2: Then?
Speaker 3: I think you'd have a bunch of qualifiers into tournaments, which would be really cool.
Speaker 4: So like Major Monday Ghue, you would love that. Ryan French would be very happy.
Speaker 3: I think it would be I think it would be cool. But you could do a lot of you know, if you finish in the top of this event, you're automatically in, Like that's a way you could round out fields. So you know, if you finish in the top twenty of the Masters, maybe you're back the next year. Like, there are ways that you could do it. The main con is that you'd have a hard time saying, hey, who's the best player in the world right now? But there's already debates about that. And on the men's side, like Live Golf doesn't get a Fisher World golf rankings point. So people have already been saying, well, maybe Bryson's the best player in the world. It's not a great argument, but we already deal with that issue. So I think you'd have a lot of more of a qualifier based system into getting into certain golf tournaments, and I think that would probably be a better version of golf. But and this is not to tease our upcoming interview too much, but I think this is probably more of a problem on the amateur side even than on the professional side. So yeah, people know, I think I'm going to be digging into the world to the world amateur golf rankings a little bit, and if people are super knowledgeable on that, feel free to reach out. But it does seem like it causes a lot more problems than it solves.
Speaker 4: Little off season project for Joseph. I like it well, long form, long term, long term investigation of world ranking systems.
Speaker 3: I like that worth looking at. What are you add on, Garrett, I.
Speaker 4: Am out on denying that you said the F word on live television when you clearly said the F word on live television. Morgan Pressel, an announcer during the Olympics, said about Brook Henderson. At one point, Brook Henderson had just hit a good shot and had like high fived or fist bumpter caddy or something. Morgan Pressel said, she's fucking fired up. You to see it, and it was funny. People shared the clip around social media. It was just a little little extra sideshow during the competition, something to chuckle about, nothing particularly offensive. We all know that she didn't really mean to say that that. Probably what she meant to say was she's fricking fired up or freaking fired up, and it just came out the wrong word. But she did say the F word. She said it. It's on air. We all heard it. Pressel statement the next day. I stumbled over my words, and unfortunately it sounded as if I said something inappropriate. I am so sorry that it came across as such, because I would never say that on air in a broadcast. So I mean, listen, this isn't that serious, this isn't that bad. But she's not saying I said it, And it was just a slip, she said. I didn't say it. It it just it just came across like I You you may have thought that you heard that, but I would never I would never I would never that was the tactic. And it's just this kind of gaslighting approach to pr cleanup that so many golfers seemed to think is the way to do things. But it's not the way to do things, because we all know that you're lying, you're not this is not the truth. You said what you said, and you might as well just own it and say, you know, listen, sorry about that. I don't even need her to apologize. Maybe some people do, maybe she needs to, but I just I just don't accidentally said the wrong word and egg on my face, my bad. That's that's really all you need to do. And Zach Johnson the same thing at the Masters when he told the gallery in Amen corner to fuck off. We all heard it, we all saw it, saw it, we knew what he was doing, and he flat out denied it, said he was saying it to him self. It's not what happened. Guys, Just just admit it, Just just say I'm fallible, you know, that's my bad, and laugh it off. But that's that's not what people seem to want to do and trying to clean up these messes. So so we're left with kind of being gaslighted. But in any case, just thought i'd point that out. I thought it was a fun part of the weekend. And by the way, they dmcad the clip almost immediately and so it's no longer really available on on on Twitter or wherever else. And so that's just another thing that they do to try to memory hole certain things that happened during golf tournaments.
Speaker 3: Look, this is bigger than golf, right, It's it's the art of apologizing. It's the i'm sorry if you were offended.
Speaker 4: Not of the non apology, right right, this is not an apology. It's like I'm sorry that you guys so weird that you heard me say this when I.
Speaker 3: Didn't, right, And I think the main lesson when you watch people apologize successfully and just own it, it works better. Like this is not a good strategy, so.
Speaker 4: It becomes like a good thing for them.
Speaker 3: Right right, Like just own it. So I'm with you. I don't have much to add. This is much bigger than golf. It happens in all fields. But I think people need to learn that the right approach is just to own it. So I'm going to hear it. I'm out on that too.
Speaker 4: All right, Something I am in on is Goodwalk Coffee. Let's talk about Goodwalk Coffee for a second. Here in my mug right now, I've got my Goodwalk mug. Here is the Frida Egg Golf Blend from Goodwalk. It is delicious. It's about nine am where I'm recording this, and so this is helping me wake up. In fact, this is my second cup of the morning, so that's kind of my cadence through the morning. But Friday Golf Blend is absolutely delicious. It's a bright and vibrant organic coffee roasted to a medium light level. We also have some other blends for those who prefer other kinds of roasts. But Goodwalk is a great company that we're very proud to be working with. The founders are absolute golf nuts, and they also happen to be coffee nuts. They buy high grade beans from around the world at fair market prices, and very importantly, these beans happen to be extremely good. So go to Goodwalkcoffee dot com slash fried Egg and use the code fried Egg one word at checkout to save twenty percent on your entire order. Using the same code to start a coffee subscription will save you thirty percent on your first order, and then you'll save ten percent on all future shipments. You can pause, skip, or cancel your subscription at any time on the website, So again, go to Goodwalkcoffee dot com slash fried Egg. All right, so, Joseph, We've got an interview with Laurence don again coming up, and the subject dis amateur golf. The occasion is that the the US Women's Amateur just wrapped up yesterday at Southern Hills and the US Amateur is getting underway right now at Hazelteine. Those tournaments are just always a delight to watch. So first of all, I would definitely recommend tuning in this week and watching the golf. But Lawrence Donagan is the person we're talking to about amateur golf, and you know, he's many things in golf media. He's a veteran journalist who has written for The Guardian and The Harold and other outlets. He's also the founder of mckeller magazine as well as the co host of the mckeller podcast along with Jeff Shackelford. But maybe most relevant to this episode, he is the father of an excellent young amateur golfer who is playing this week in the US Amateur at Hazelteine. So Lawrence has a lot of thoughts, a lot of takes about amateur golf. Such an interesting guy to talk to, and so let's just go straight to that interview. Okay, So Joseph and I are here with Lawrence Donnagan. Lawrence, it's great to have you on the podcast. How are you doing right now?
Speaker 5: Thanks for helping me on Garrett. Hi, Hi, Joseph. We've never made before, so here we are. Yeah, we'll just dive right into it. Joseph will chip in when he wants to chip in, But just to get us started, we're going to talk about amateur golf, about the amateur golf scene, about some of the issues, and also some of the joys of participating in amateur golf. You have a unique perspective on this, Lawrence, not only because you're a longtime golf journalist, but because your son, Nile is a very good player who has in fact qualified for the US Amateur. So, just briefly, to give people a sense of what your perspective is on the world, what was the US Amateur qualification experience like for you? Well, it was great for me because I ass my want, I wasn't there. I act as a chauffeur. I teake young Now he's not that young as nineteen I took him. I always drop him off at the golf course, but pre round an hour and a half before then, I disappear. I go into town, I go find a coffee shop, I go and read a book. I go tour you. On that particular instance, I went into Bend for fight. He was qualifying at ben Golf Club for final qualifying for the amateur. And then I try my best not to look at my phone that the live scoring. I know people love life scoring. It's a curse, it's an absolute curse. But if you look at live scoring, your entire day is ruined. So I do my best not to look at live scoring. Otherwise the whole day is ruined. You just that's all you can think about, because it is. We're all the same. You know, if you've got kids, you know you don't you don't want it to be hourt or to fail. You know, it's just like a parent watching a kid do anything. You know, your kid comes home and says, I've got a D and an exam. You kind of so I see the kind of golf process is a little bit that that particular day I managed. I didn't see any live scoring. Drove back to the golf course, and it's really funny even when you come into the car park and if you can tell how your son walks. If I see him in the distance walking up, I look away because I don't know want to know where he is. It was pathetic. Doesn't it sound so awful, But it was really funny in that particular day. So his mum was pulling his trolley that day, Baggie was, and so she doesn't really know much about golf. So I walked back into the car park round and he's at the tent, the scorer's tent. So I walk up and I said to mum, how do you do? I don't really know quite well, I think. And then now sitting at the desk and I go, well, how did it go? And he did They usually just held the eight fingers down, which is really cool.
Speaker 2: Oh that was so that was really great.
Speaker 5: He told me that that was I think he shot sixty four a couple of times tournament somewhere, but I think, you know, he's never really he's never qualified for a USG event. I think he tried, you know, USGA Junior arm a couple of times, didn't make it. Got through the final qualifying in the USGA for the US Open, actually was first alternate. This is quite a good funny story. Took him to Olympic Club. He was first reserve and and five minutes before some guy never showed up, so he jumped on the first tea and off he went, and he.
Speaker 2: Was right behind.
Speaker 5: He's had to say, Maverick McNeely had a golf coach called Alex Murray, and now he's gone to the same coach. So nearly was in the group in France, so that you know he's sixteen years old, they'd seventeen. Really thrilling stuff. But this is a you know, he's this is a bit a big deal. You make you qualify for the us AMAZ A really big deal. So we leave for Hazel time. We're recording a Wednesday, believe on Thursday. Then I think the first first rounds next Monday and Tuesday, so really look forward to that. He's actually his is a longtime little league coach. It's going to come over and caddy for him, so that that's pretty cool. In fact, his name is Tod mctaffy and Todd now qualified. He won his regional qualifier for the Open this year, and Todd flew over from her home where we live in Norland, California, over to caddy for him at Row Singport. So it's kind of cool. It kind of takes a village, doesn't it. Mom, little league caddy, dad drives. You know, it's it's a really cool experience actually, especially for somebody like me. I just love golf. I love watching amateur golf. This is really really cool.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean, quite a qualifying round for a for a young nile. He was medalist by I believe for strokes and so that that is a way to qualify for the for the US Amateur. He plays played college golf last year at Northwestern, so clearly a very good young player. I met him at Chambers Bay when I when I came and talked to you, Lawrence, and seems like a great kid. And uh, and so we're rooting for him at the at the U s AM. But kind of backing up and zooming out a bit, what have you learned about parenting through this amateur golf process? Because you know, I mean, this is a serious amateur player. I'm sure you've seen some pretty intense parenting in in this area. I wonder if you've kind of adjusted your thoughts over time about how.
Speaker 5: Yeah, well, some people might look at me, see I'm an intense perient. Well I'm never. I'm never at the golf tournaments. But I kind of evolved over these. I coached all sorts of things. I coached soccer football, as we would call it. I go middle school golf team, what else, go baseball, little league, all that kind of stuff. And I used to have a really you know, hands off parents, light touch, and but it's hard. It's a I see, you know, I see it at golf tournaments. I've seen some horrendous stuff at golf tournaments. You know when when now I was really young, you didn't play a lot of tournament golf, but you see parents cheating and you know, and you know, you'd go and pick them up after a golf tournament and you say, how did it go? It was really good, but little Johnny's dad threw the ball back in the fairway, and you know.
Speaker 2: Stuff like that.
Speaker 5: So but see the longer I go home and and I look at the guys, Now I'm very careful here because I don't want to, you know, shame is the wrong word. But I see some parents who I've known for years and have really reputations for being really intense, really hands on, hovering, you know, all you would think all the worst traits. But you know, but then you see their kids are you know, they're now college seniors and they're winning big tournaments, you know, or they're doing really really well. So when I say I've evolved, I just what and now think? I just think it's it's just different ways of doing it. There's no right way or wrong way. I don't think. I used to think there was a right way and a wrong way, but now I'm really not so sure. I guess whatever works for a particular family, for a particular parent, for a particular kid. You know, of course, you hear stories all the time of great players who are completely turned off by the pushy parents and the you know, the great junior players, but they just get ground down, they get you know, forc into doing it, you know, and they can't. Eventually they get to the stage where they're no longer under their parents' control and they just rebel and they kind of pack it in I think, you know, the pushy, very pushy, intense approach works with kids who love golf, really really love golf. But for the kids who are kind of ambivalent, then I don't think the strong parent thing works.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean, you know, Tiger Woods comes to mind, maybe the most famous father son relation, famous father son relationship and golf, And I mean it certainly worked in the sense that the player became incredibly good and the parenting was was quite intense by by most people's standards.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I actually interviewed Eryl at the house in Cyprus in southern California, went down and interviewed Errol about a couple of years before he died. Yeah, that was amazing. You walk up to the house and this like modest, suburban kind of house, but with this incredible door. This really elaborate, it's like a door for a three million dollar house in Laguna Beach or something. And you walk in. The door opens and Errol's sitting in the barker lounger for his cigarettes, Sta stamped out in his soup dish, and the room was filled with all these trophies, everything just amazing and yeah, super intense. He took me to the garage. Heah, and he said the chair. You know, this house was prepared for the Smithsonian, he said, So, the door was buil out for the Smithsonian, the garage was preserved.
Speaker 2: You know, this is the chair where Tiger sat.
Speaker 5: Watching me hit balls into this particular net. So Erro was all in. But I guess what Erro had There was just a kid who loved golf, who just couldn't get enough golf. Yeah, crazy, crazy for it. So yeah, as I say, you know, it takes all kinds of stuff, all kinds of methods.
Speaker 4: So from from your perspective and your experience, what has been the best thing about about amateur golf for you? Just from the from the parents' perspective.
Speaker 5: Often, well, well, I I can't separate the parents and the golf fan. I mean the parents thing is just seeing seeing our kids. He's not an amazing player, guy, I think he's right. I don't know, it's three hundred in the world or something. You know, he's a good player. He might get better, he might get worse, who knows. But just seeing your your kids just do something that he that he loves and you know, gets a certain amount of confidence from it and self respect but again in respect from others, I think that's a big deal because once you get into the kind of elite amateur golf level, get what you fight. I mean, it's like a traveling circus. All these kids kind of know each other and they're all kind of looking at each other, and it's it's quite as a parent, speaking as a parent, it's really good to see your kid find a spot a place in that world, and it's a world that he absolutely adores. All he wants to do is play golf, which wasn't always a case. He was a multiple sport kid, and so from a parental perspective, it's it's that's that's wonderful to see your kid be in some in some way be fulfilled. You know, as I say, who knows where it will take him, and it might be many. There's been many disappointments along the way, and I'm sure there'll be many in the future, and just to see how he gets through that, you know, will it build his character?
Speaker 4: Will it?
Speaker 5: You know, crush it not crush is the wrong word, but you know, we'll see. I mean so that, I mean, there's that aspect, but the main thing for me, I'm not going to lie it selfish, like, I absolutely love amateur golf. I've always I've always liked amateur golf, but being around so I'll take now to Hazeltown next week and I'll drop him off and he'll do his thing, and I'll go to the other course. I'll go and watch. It's just awesome. I can't I keep on saying this to people. You know, why would you go to a PGA Tour event and be roped off fifty yards to the side. You know, you can't see anything, you can't really hear anything. I went to the regional at Stanford this year, the NC two year Regional at Stanford, and I walked a few holes with right down the fair we would look Clanton. I mean, come on, I mean, look Clanton's I think it's playing his four PG Tour event this year coming up this week at the window. Just one of the best players in the world, you know, walking down the fairway five yards behind. Mike Clayton wrote a piece a couple of years ago that you know, the best way to watch golf is to watch it down the line because you can you can really see the ball, you know, and elite amateur events that's what it's all about. It's you know, you can really see the guys who can play, the guys who can shape the ball, who can hit the shots. So there's that, plus you get proximity. It's just, I mean, just awesome. Want that Stanford Regional. I walked with thorbe Jornsen, walked a few few holes with him ten yards away. Michael Thorbejorson. That's pretty cool. So I kind of get that, you know, I love it. The other thing is, and these kids are really lucky.
Speaker 2: They like now played.
Speaker 5: In the Linx Trophy this year. I don't know people in the States would know what the Links Trophy is, but it's one of the big European amateur events. And it's two rounds. First two rounds one and the one in the Jubilee Great Golf Course on its own, and then the second is on the Old Course and then the weekends at the Old course.
Speaker 2: Of the entry fee for that was eighty pound, So these so nas played the old course to course.
Speaker 4: It's play a little bit for the rest of us.
Speaker 5: He's played the Old course four times in a week for eighty pounds, So.
Speaker 2: That's really cool.
Speaker 5: Uh So you get to go and see great golf courses this summer we've been. We went to the Old Course. I got to see that, got to see elite golf in the old course. Then we went to the Amateur Championship was up at bally Lyffing. The two courses up there. The main thing was played in the Glacidi. But the great golf course here is the old course at bally Lyfting. That is a wonderful, wonderful golf course. So got to see that that reintroduced to that had been there twenty years ago. Royal sinkports for for final qualifying for the Open. My goodness, you know, that was so cool. And he went off and played. He missed by a couple of shots whatever, But I went followed Matthew Southgate and Gray mcd well, which was awesome, you know, down walking down the fairway. Really cool, great golf course. Will pass quickly over the Scandinavian for the European Amateur. That was an absolute shock. Great brilliantly conditioned golf course, but just such a terrible design.
Speaker 2: I know you guys like the design stuff.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, not the place you would go when going to that area of the world.
Speaker 2: No, definitely not.
Speaker 5: And I'm trying to think what else. But the point is it takes you. Amazon Golf has taken me to some amazing, just amazing golf courses to see them, to see them in a different way, you know, not from the point of view that I'm kind of hacking it around in eighty five or whatever, but to see you great players playing these amazing golf course. I watched Calum Scott play Calm Scott Walker Cup player for GB and I last year. I think he's number five and PG two U this year watch him player the old course. That was a real education of how to play golf.
Speaker 3: Laurence, I'm glad you brought up the cost eighty pounds to play four rounds at Saint Andrew's. One topic that I wanted to get into a little bit with you is accessibility and totally I suppose there are at least two facets to that, one domain knowledge and then two explicit financial costs. I'm curious if you can paint a little bit of a picture of amateur golf. I know it's different in America than in the rest of the world, but what are like does a junior golfer need to be playing in AJAGA American Junior Golf Association events, for example, and like what the costs are associated with those? Can you kind of paint a picture of how an amateur golfer navigates the landscape.
Speaker 5: I have had years and years long feud with the AGGG.
Speaker 2: I used to do this.
Speaker 5: I would go this week, now's playing in the Scottish Men's Amateur at Western Gals and the cost is eighty pounds. Alternatively, he could be playing in the AGGA something something All Star at some bullshit golf course in the middle of Texas for three hundred and fifty dollars. I mean, it's I mean just absolute nonsense. So two things about that. One the cost. You know, certainly in Europe it's a completely different paradigm over there. So in this country it's basically it's been an AGGA monopoly in this country for years and years and years, and they've really exploited it, really exploited it. I mean, you know, they'll listen to this and I'll go, yeah, but we have this player you know fund for whatever you know, and it'll be we give out three hundred thousands, one thousand dollars a year in player support or whatever. The CEO of the AGGA gets paid a million dollars a year a million dollars a year, so the bureaucracy of the AGGA is propped up by these Either it's just scandalous entry fees. So that's one thing, right, the ludicrous entry fees relative to what goes on in Europe. But but the main point you touched on there, Joseph, the it's just what talent has been missed in this country. I mean, nobody can afford this. We're lucky, we have the financial means, you know, to be able to afford it. We chose not to do the AGGA out for the reasons that I'm outlining to you. I just we just felt it was just ridiculous, outrageous. And the way it's designed is to kind of it's brilliantly designed to lure players and you know, you've got to get enough stars to get.
Speaker 2: A place in the field.
Speaker 5: And you know, but my other objection to the way that amateur golf, certainly junior golf in this country is sitting in the US, is set up. It's just it's so inaccessible. Who can afford us a very very small number of families. So hey, that's kind of bad, you know, it's kind of bad thing. But also in terms of the talent missed, you go to an agent. In fact, this is true all over the world actually, because golf is expensive, pretty monochromatic, Joseph, you go to you look up down the range at any junior or amateur event is pretty monochromatic, which is, you know, the one good thing is this The USGA set up this development program which I think might break the monopoly the A G G A. I think it's you know, it's it's it's going to be like a ladder system as I understand it, you know, feeding up from the local like the Northern California Junior Golf, Southern California Junior Golf will all feed into this USGA development system and it'll be like a pyramid and the best players will go to the top. So what with that, what will happen, hopefully is that the best players at the bottom of the ladder, who can't afford to make the step up into the AGGA, they will be spotted and they will be elevated by the USGA, and hopefully so the kind of missing of talent that that will become less of an initial, you would hope, but the actual structure of it is, you know, it's just sickening. It's honestly sickening. The Tiger Woods went Actually when he made his Hall of Fame speech, you know, he spoke about his parents taking out a second mortgage, a second mortgage so that he could play on a GGA. People never noticed that that's just a second mortgage to play junior golf. I mean, it's crazy.
Speaker 2: So a lot of families aren't able to do that.
Speaker 5: So yeah, over back back home the and it's certainly in the UK and Europe you'll notice now actually coming through the national federations are a lot but golf is a little bit more accessible. And then nationally the tentacles of the national federations in places like Sweden, Germany, France, the UK, the reaches quite far down down the pyramid and they're they're kind of pulling kids out. And you can see that now if you look at, well, who are the best player coming through from elite amateur golf and in the last few years, I mean, obviously you've got Sergeants or be Ornsen, but a lot of these guys are European you know Hoveland, especially Scandinavian's Hoveland Auburg. There's a kid in Sweden just now called Simon Hovall watch out for this kid. He's going to Texas Tech next year. This kid is unbelievable. There's a kid in the Czech Republic, of all places, what's his name? I wrote it down at Louis Louis Klein. He's fifteen years old. I mean, this kid is unbelievable. Again, because of the national federations over there are a bit more proactive. The pyramid business are closed off. These guys are coming through. And I'll tell you what, when you say you're eventually golfing Mierica will feel it when you get to the Ryder Cup and the European start. I say this all the time. The twenty thirty five European Ryder Cup team will all be continental players. But the continent development systems are so much better than anywhere else in the world. And PGA two and the USA and the USGA had better watch out. Which is why this development thing that they brought up is a really good development. If it stayed the way it was with the closed off pyramid, thea AGGA completely controlled golf of the United States would have been in trouble.
Speaker 3: So while we're on the cost lawrence, one thing that's kind of troubled me that I really wanted to get your perspective on the importance of track man and seeing how much of an advantage it is at the highest level. I've always been curious with the trickle down effects of that. Are our junior golfers, you know, if you go out to a driving range at an elite amateur event, are there a bunch of TrackMan's out there? And what does that mean for accessibility? Curious again for your perspective on the technology piece of this and how maybe that's raised the barriers to entry for golfers of little means.
Speaker 5: Again, part of our national federation set up. Say you're part of the French setup in the friends, they will have TrackMan. You've got a tournament and the French guys, the two national coaches will have some track mans for the guys to use. I'm not gonna lie of it again. We're lucky, We're financially kind of lucky. Now got a track man, he got his own track man. Kind we kind of rationalize it in a way I knew we knew it was madness, but we kind of rationalize it away. The good thing about track Man, you can see, you know, they're not like used cars that don't depreciate to the extent, so track you could buy a track Man in three years later and sell it for a ten to fifteen percent appreciation. So as a family we rationalize it in that way. But it's but it's huge. It's really you know, you got to an elite amateur event now and you know a lot of guys, a lot of guys have got a track Man there, and I see foresight. You know, they do the quad they're now running. They're pitching a program now for elite players, elite younger players. So they're obviously they see it as a huge market. I'm not saying you can't compete at that level without access to to launch monitors, but my goodness, it's a it's a hell of advantage.
Speaker 3: I know.
Speaker 5: Again, a kid like ours, it's heavily influenced by what it sees a the PGA tour. He looks at Dustin. How did Dustin Johnson become a great West player? We just de TrackMan combines all day, all day as we speak, right now he's up at his golf club where he's track man, and I can guarantee you, you know, you'll be doing combines all day or whatever whatever he does, I don't know, and there'll be a you know, dozens and dozens and dozens of other kids in his position. He'll be doing the same thing. It's you know, it's huge. It's a huge thing. And if you're if you don't have access to to then you you are at a disadvantage because it's the same with you. You can see in professional golf, can't you. It's it's revolutionized the way that people play and think about golf, and it's the same at the elite amateur.
Speaker 2: Level as well.
Speaker 4: On the idea of national yeah, you mentioned a couple of Swedish players, I believe, or at least you mentioned Oberg. It's funny to hear Maya Stark and Lynn Grant also talk about their experiences coming up through that system, knowing Ludwig and other really good players who ended up in the American university system in some form or another or sometimes not. But that seemed to be a key formative experience for a lot of the best young players right now, and it certainly. You know, Australia has its version of this that has existed for a long time and players like Adam Scott and others Aaron Battley came.
Speaker 2: Up through that.
Speaker 4: I wonder if you think that applying that to the US context would work, or whether we're just too big and unwieldy as a nation for something like this ever to exist.
Speaker 5: I mean, I think it'll work here. I think the people who've designed it and Chris Amby, who Zamber who's running, the guy wh used to coach at the USC and Pepperdine is assistant coach at Pepperdine, I think I think it's been very well designed. But again they're basing at all what what what it's all based on the European Actually, it's all all started with the Australian Institute of Sport that was so far ahead in terms of development of all sports, and golf was one of the sports. Because it's it's obviously a big deal over there, yeah, but maybe even less significant than the other Australian sports. And we're seeing that right now with the Olympics, where there are so many truly excellent Australian athletes and that's not a coincidence. There's some brilliant I've watched, you know, I've watched hours and hundreds of hours of development nonsense, you know, trying to you know, discern if there's a if there's a correct way to do it. There's a great video of a former head of the Australian Institute of Sport going on about elite juniors. There's no such thing as an elite junior. So and he was saying this stuff ten fifteen years ago. So they were they had thought about it, and they were big into tapering, it's called tapering, big into multiple sports. So they would you know, you actually got penalized within the system if you just concentrated on golf when you were aged thirteen or fourteen. You know, obviously Adamscott wouldn't get penalized.
Speaker 2: But you know what I mean.
Speaker 5: So they thought, they thought long and hard about it. They kind of template that everybody else has followed, Sweden, Germany, France to less of the England's pretty good, but a lot of it depends on resources. I think the usgas what's it have in the bank. I don't know, Garret, this kind of number, you probably.
Speaker 2: Know what I mean. It's a lot.
Speaker 5: It's a lot, so they've got money to spend on it. And you know, as I say, when it was announced, I was really hoping it was a shit show. It was going to be a shit show, and I could easily criticize it. But lo and behold, I think they've well so far. It's early days yet, and I do see some social media stuff that they've been putting out on the junior program, which I don't particularly like elevating these these superstar kids.
Speaker 2: I don't.
Speaker 5: I don't think that's the best thing for these kids, the stage. But nevertheless, I think it'll I think it will work all right.
Speaker 4: So, a big thing that's affecting the amateur game, especially in the US right now, is all of the chaos in the pro game. Yeah, so I wonder if you just have some general thoughts or a general theory of how all of these structural shifts at the top end of the professional game are affecting the way that amateur golfers kind of make their way through their careers.
Speaker 5: Well, yes, it's a really interesting thing, and I can't quite decide whether or it's a good thing or a bad thing.
Speaker 2: Yet.
Speaker 5: It's been percolating for a while. Well, essentially, let me how can we frame this live comes along? The shift was already. Firstly, the PGA Tour has always reached down into the amateur game. I mean, it's Windham this week. The PGA Tour put a video this morning. I saw on the social media fees Justin Thomas, sixteen year old Justin Thomas makes his debut at the WINDOWM Championship twenty sixteen. So the point is the professional tours I've always reached down into the amateur game and plucked out a few, you know, the absolute best. Your Tiger played at Riviera when he was sixteen or whatever. He was fifteen, I can't remember. So it's always there's always been a little bit of that. But now the advent of live golf coming along, there is as like an arms race between the kind of establishment tours, a desperation we call it youth youth. What's the youth desperation syndrome? There seems to be a real rush to promote younger players. Again, I don't want to highlight individuals and know what, I don't know the personal circumstances or what's going on with say the family. There's a kid called Miles Russell. I'm sure everybody if you're listening to this, you know, everybody know who Miles Russell is. You got an invite to the ever. I think it's a Rocket Morgan got more good.
Speaker 4: Yeah, the lefty kid, he got a lot of got a lot of player on social media that.
Speaker 5: You know what I mean. And that's great for him if that's what they want. But you know, and there's you know, there's this kid, Blades Brown, another really good player. Actually actually now played a practice round with him a couple of years ago somewhere and I was watching this something old ship.
Speaker 2: Now you're in trouble here. Boy, that kid can play, by the way, he's a good player. But what so.
Speaker 5: The pg Tour is desperate, you know, it doesn't want to lose. It doesn't want to lose players. There's Live Golf come the first round of contracts that Live Golf for coming up for renewal I think at the end of this year, So lives are going to be on the lookout for talent and and the PGA Tour knows that. It's really so hence we have the well they already lost Caleb Sura really a brilliant player when the Western junior really good player played in the Walker Cup last year. He's a sophomore at Tennessee Boom. He's gone went to Live Golf. He's now part of the infamous or famous, whatever you want, Legion thirteen squad. I think he made about three and a half million in his first week, so I think he's pretty probably pretty happy. But you know, coming around at the end of this year, Live will be on the lookout for some fresh talent and mago. You know, if they look at you know, you look at the likes of Thorby Arsen, you look at the likes of Luke Clanton, the rising junior at at Florida State. There's all I'm trying to think of other players Ben James at Virginia, Jackson Coyven at Auburn, really really good players who have already proved that they can kind of cut it at the pro level. So there's there's that, there's that, and and you know all these players all have agents and you know they're not they're not immune to there are ignorant about what's out there for them if they want to go and take it.
Speaker 2: So the tour, you know, so the tour.
Speaker 5: Is really really you know, running fast to keep up and that you know, so yeah, you have the accelerated program. Gordon Sergeant got his tour card last year, and the accelerated program, which of people who don't know as a you know, there's all any number of points. If you win the US Amateur you get three points, if you are the win the Ben Hogan Awards, you get three points, and then once you hit twenty points you automatically get your your tour cards. So Gordon Sergeant got his tour card last year. You also obviously haven't got PT Tour University, which has proven itself to be a, if nothing else, a great identifier of talent. I have the first three guys I think have gone through your Ludvig Sergeant. I think the sergeant get it who got it last year, Luke thorbi Orsen got it, So you've got Ludvig, You've got thorbi Ornson this year. Luke Clanton's already miles ahead. So although I think he's still a junior, so he won't be able to get it for another couple of years. But the point being that, well, for instance, the US Amateurs starts next Monday, Luke Clant's playing. This is this is how I impact that all of that impacts amateur golf. And you know, Luke Clant's playing at the window this week. What if he makes a cut? He's playing on Sunday? Is he going to fly over night and tea up in the US Amateur and Monday morning. I haven't seen the field yet for the US Amateur. I don't know if he's in. I don't know if he's out. But so, you know, a lot of these set the Elite. I don't know if people know that there's something called the Elite Amateur Series, which is seven of the best amateur events. You know, you have the North and South and Northeastern and the Southern, the pak Coast, a lot of the Sunny Hannah, a lot of the fields. This year, I've kind of you know, he had the Western Amateur last week and three of the top five amateurs in the world didn't play.
Speaker 2: Clanton didn't play. Who else?
Speaker 5: Summer Hayes didn't play and Sergeant didn't play for I mean, I don't know what the reasons were, but the probably exhausted playing the PG Tour events and they're going to take a week off. Once upon a time nobody missed the Western. The Western was you know, behind the US Amateur the Western.
Speaker 4: It's a semi major almost absolutely.
Speaker 5: In fact, you think, why wouldn't you be playing because there's actually two points for the PG Tour Accelerated card if you win it. If you win the Amateur the Western, you get two points. So but again, so you know, all this turmoil and noise within the pro games kicking down into the amateur game your fields. There's so many events, and you know, guys are picking and choosing. You know, do you go play the Sonny Hannah or are you going to play in the Are you gonna play on the Rocket Mortgage. I mean there's a no brainer, isn't it. You would kind of think. So it's it's you know, there's also too many events, and I mean it's really crete. The top players now are really picking and choosing. I think when you look at the Amateur Championship this year at bally Lyiff, and that was a kind of a remote spot for the RNAH pick great venue, but it was kind of remote. I mean, that was a pretty weak field this year relative to years gone by that used to be a pre eminent event with, by the way, a Master's invite, I think a US Open invite and an Open Championship invite, and still a lot of the best players in the world didn't bother And it's because of all this noise and what's going on, you know, in the pro games, it's kind of kicking down at the amateur game.
Speaker 3: On that lawrence, Earlier this year, when Nick Dunlap won the American Express, he was kind of tased with a situation, Hey, do I turn pro and start playing on the PGA Tour. He's only a sophomore in college. Can you maybe offer your perspective on not necessarily Nick Dunlap specifically, but a player in that situation, an elite amitur who's navigating the landscape right now, how would you be charting out your trajectory given the options that might be available to you, returning to school, playing on live, playing on the PGA Tour. What are those considerations?
Speaker 5: Well, well, it's it's very hard if you're Nick done that, it's very very difficult to say no. I mean, you win a PGA Tour event, that's a you know, so you can't criticize it.
Speaker 2: You know, in the moment.
Speaker 5: How can you criticize somebody for taking the PGA Tour card.
Speaker 3: But I I.
Speaker 5: Think you've got to be super careful. You know, Gordon Sergeant got his pg Tour card through the accelerated program. Okay, didn't take it, announced that he was going to he's going to finish his junior year and he's going back to college. He's going back to Vanderbilt this year. I think that's a pretty smart move because your brilliant player, incredible player, and went to the Masters, stumped the place out. You know, he did, you know, he was They were all talking about he's ball speed and he's clubs, but the guy can It was he can't ship, he can, you know, and it was kind of obvious and obvious to him. So I think he's done something really really smart. Obviously he's further bit. You know, he's got that, he's probably got all sorts of nil deals got on so there's no huge rush but you know, to to turn pro and take the rewards that are there from you know, in in the short term. But he's done a pretty smart thing going back and you know, understanding that his game isn't really quite ready for the pros. So again, as I say, you don't want to criticize somebody like doing that because he's subsequently won he wanted a Barracuda like last month or two or three weeks ago, so you know, who can blame him. But but who's winning major championships these days? You know, there's no twenty one year olds winning majors these days. That just isn't who's winning on the PGA tour, you know, with with regularity these days, So guys in their late twenties, it's all these seasoned guys, guys you know, twenty nine to thirty one. There's nobody super young coming through a part from down lap super and yeah, just a different, Yeah, it's a different you know because obviously he's from you know, the other side of these from the other side.
Speaker 2: Of the world.
Speaker 5: But but yeah, but but there's nobody like say Jordan Speed coming out really young, winning majors, you know, being a top three player in the world. So I would say there's two paths. But I would say Sergeant has been pretty smart about it. But again, I have no idea what his nil situation is, but I'm sure he's pretty comfy in what he's doing and I'm sure he's not living in the dorm at Vanderbilt, or you know, he's living in a ten ten ten person house, seven bedrooms to ten people. That's not I'm sure that's not his living circus, not in the bunk beds right now. He's not in a he's not in a bunk bad situation, but it is us. It's a real tricky one.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 5: Again, if you're if you're at college, if you're at tennessee the Caleb Sura. You know, I'm trying to think there's another really good player that I can't remember off the top of my head.
Speaker 2: You know, Caleb s Is.
Speaker 5: You know, it's now making you know, five million a year. That must be he must be pretty to some some level at least you must be pretty envious of that. You think, well, shit, I used to be him qualified every week, and you know, and now he's off spending his time with Bryson, and oh my god, maybe I would probably stay at college if that was one offer from me.
Speaker 4: Right well, I mean, certainly, nil Is is one big factor that's maybe kind of tamping down some of the urgency to go pro that that former generations of players might have felt. In their you know, junior or senior years of colle if they were really really top elite players. But then at the same time, you have these influences of the PGA Tour's urgency to get more young talent in the pipeline, keep it away from live. You have that, and then you have the battling factor of just the trajectory of player development, which has changed in recent years because of changes in technology and instruction, but still in general, twenty year old's, twenty one year olds are not ready to go out and kill it on the PGA Tour. And so it's almost like, you know, young players at this point are dealing with all these battling influences pulling them in a variety of different directions, and a lot of these influences might not necessarily be to the benefit of their development as players.
Speaker 2: No, you're dead right.
Speaker 5: Actually, I think these kids coming out of the elite game e leade amateur golfer, they're able to mich Aprose. But you know, over the length of a season, you know, it's a different deal then. But you know, say somebody like Luke Clanton, this is I say, he's played three times on the PGA Tour this year. I think he finished what was it, he finished ty second at the Rocket mar No, tie second at the John Deere TI, tenth at the at the Rocket Mortgage, and fortieth or something at the US Open. But can you could a player like that to staying it over an entire season with the travel, the grind, the physical exertion. I'm not so sure about that. But what is certainly true was chanted about it with somebody this morning, is the you know, the difference between the elite amateur players and the kind of middle of the pack PG. I mean, it's it's Is there any difference whatsoever? I'm not so sure. I mean, these guys are coming out of college. You've gone four or five years of college, Luke Big, you know, pretty pretty impressive, start Hoveland again, you know, really quite good. So these guys are showing that that there's not much different between you know, the elite amateurs and the kind of mid range PGA tour pros and in many cases, but I just wonder if they can do it. You have there was a four year college guy. The guys who've come out and really they're all four year college guys.
Speaker 4: He's guys could spend a long time in college. I mean he was in a spring chicken when he came out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well he was.
Speaker 5: And that's another thing about the Swedes. You know, I spoke earlier about this kid, Simon Howald, the Swedish kid who he's not going to college until he's twenty years He won't start college until he's twenty years old. Ludwig was the same Lucan graduated from Texas Tech when he was when he was twenty four. I'm just not sure that you know, these twenty year olds or twenty one year olds or nineteen year olds or you know, God forbid, you know they're like some Miles Russell Blades Brown. Yeah, yeah, yeah, I think people again, I better be careful here. You don't want to because you don't know the particular situations, but you know, people are pushing these kids really very very I'm not entirely sure about the motivations, you know what exactly is going on here. There's a great, great player. Actually he played on the PG Tour this year. He played in the CG Cup, made the Cup. Chris Kim, wonderful kid. Now play with them, absolutely wonderful kid, great family. Now play with them at the Jack the Police Trophy, which is a kind of junior Walker Cup thing. We'll have to go into that. Great player won the Brittish Boys last year, but he's hardly played in any amateur events this year. He's this week, he's playing in a Challenge Tour and the European Tour. Is that really he's seventeen years old. Is that really what's best for him at this stage? Again, I really, you know, viewed from the outside, you would probably say you probably say no, Lawrence.
Speaker 3: I feel like one big topic that maybe goes under the radar, underappreciated, is how few golf courses, with how far the golf ball goes, can test professional golfers at the highest level. And you're seeing the difference in signature events versus non signature events, Like the courses that can put long irons in guy's hands and be demanding, they're few and far between. And I feel like cornferry tour golf courses and a lot of college golf courses. Yes, if you're dominating on those, you're probably more likely to be a great professional golfer. But the difference in the questions that it's asking you seemingly have never felt larger like I even think there's probably a case that an elite amateur like Patrick Rogers had a ton of success in college but it didn't necessarily translate to the professional golf. Well, he's not a great long iron player. I'd be curious from your perspective, especially in the recruiting process with your child, is that a big focus on? Hey, when I get to this college program, how are they going to be able to prepare me? Not just for the college courses that I'm playing, but I want to make sure I can play major championship golf courses. I want to make sure I can play at bay Hill, And there's just so few of these opportunity needs to actually test your skills on.
Speaker 5: That scale them laughing into you mentioned Patrick Rodgers. I remember going down to Stanford seem with some event and I don't know if people know the first hole with Stanford is a part five year over the road, down hill whatever, Patrick Rodgers driver Sandwich and a part five the first of all?
Speaker 3: What is this.
Speaker 2: So actually funny? Enough?
Speaker 5: College courses tend to be quite long, so I don't know, not quite sure. Northwestern Sure they're playing with sa Halle, which is not. You know, that's quite a.
Speaker 2: Long golf course.
Speaker 5: And then they're playing Olympia Fields at the Fight the Fight Nill, and I think, and that's a that's a long golf course, that's a you know again, yeah, you caught me out there. There's not many college events that are one like Corn Ferry Tour scores. And then that's just not that's not just because the players in the corn Ferry Tour are better, It's just that the golf courses in the Cornferry Tour are better. I think college does a again, it's just a impressionistic sense of what's happening. I think it's pretty good preparation. There is enough for right, certainly at the kind of Power five conferences, they play a decent variety of golf courses. You know, I went down to the Wake Forest invitation was at Pinehers number two this year and the you know, you know one by Jackson Coyven, the great Jackson Coyvin.
Speaker 2: But you know one.
Speaker 5: But I think a score of one under par so that there is a decent variety. But yeah, you make a good point about the you look at these Corn Ferry Tour, even the America's Tour, These events are not prep These are not preparing, not preparing you know, players for the top level. You know, if you're winning on the corn Forerry Tour twenty under par, then you got to you know, the PGA. You know, it's not You're not ready. You're really not ready for major champ for major championship challenges. I really don't think. But so I think I think I've slightly take issue with you know, I mean I haven't been around the call seen long enough, it's only been a year. But I think it does a pretty good job of preparing kids. I know from our perspective. You know, the prepares kids for the grind. You know, you know, you're playing thirteen tournaments a year. It's quite a lot. You're adding your academics and all these coaches and then every I think every serious program is the same. They're very big on nutrition, very big on strength and conditioning. So it's I think it's a pretty good preparation. But where I think it goes arise when when you when you go to the pros, and then I think it gets silly. I think the corn Very Tour is just really not fit for purpose. I really, I really don't think it is, certainly if your purpose is to be challenging for major championships. Again, sure I can be proven wrong straight away, but I guess Xander didn't say very long in the He was in and out of the corn Fory to a quick cup of coffee, and he was on a BT tour. But I'm not sure many of the very very best players in recent years will probably be wrong. People give me about ten names.
Speaker 4: Well, Scotty Shuffler dead, but you're I think you're right that the it's it's a fewer and fewer players are coming up through that system. It used to be that every everybody would come up through that kind of process, but now that's not as much the case.
Speaker 5: Well, I don't know how long was Scotty on the I don't know how long Scotty he was on the Corny too.
Speaker 4: I don't think a year right justin was either a year he won a few times better.
Speaker 5: Not long enough to cement any Yeah it would, but do you know, to cummend anything different about his game?
Speaker 2: I don't.
Speaker 5: I don't think not that. Yeah, Well, he had a lot of injuries at college. But you know the guys who have come out Loveland all but these guys have gone straight. Thorbiornsen I think is going to be an absolute superstar. He's not.
Speaker 2: Well, he's not.
Speaker 5: He's already on the PG Tour. I think he's well on his way to making his card. But yeah, but but yeah, I think you know, college is as a tough grind for these kids, I mean, a real very seldom. That's what made you know, Jackson Coyven and the kid at Auburn who I think he I think he finished outside the top six once this year and in a college of it, which is just amazing, and he was a freshman. That's what made his year oh so remarkable, absolutely incredible. Because again, I'm sure they played a few easy golf courses, but there's there's there's not a it's not there's a lot of events where it's where it's really hard. Wait for est Invitational.
Speaker 4: Pinder's been one of them. So one structural factor that we haven't touched on yet that I want to make sure to get to before we wrap up is the world amateur golf ranking. You know, I don't know much about this subject. I've I've vaguely, vaguely gotten the sense that people aren't happy with it. I'm certain I've certainly gotten that message, but I don't really know much about it. Can you give me a sense of what kind of influence this ranking, which is the primary ranking the in the amateur game in the US, and what influence does it have on the game at the moment.
Speaker 2: Well, it's huge, you know.
Speaker 5: Well, well, let me go. It's probably kind of long winded. Wagger World Amaster Golf ranking is really important in multiple ways. One, it determines fields for amateur events. So if you're one hundred and seventy on wager, you've got no chance to get into the Western Amateur, the US Amateurs next week, the top five hundred get exempt into final qualifying for the US Amateur. The top hundred get exempt into the US Amateur. Okay, US Junior Amors, which is a particular, particularly important tournament. For as much as a junior golf tournament can be important, it's a particularly important tournament in the junior world. You think you're top five hundred, you're into the US Junior Ram. So it's a very you know, PGA Tour now uses Wagger in determining points. You know, if your career best finish and the Wagger is second. You get x number of points, So the pg TUR uses Wagger to dish out points in the accelerated program and determine how guys do in PGA tour University. So it's Wagger's influence is huge, absolutely huge. So you have that on the one hand, but on the other hand you have Waggers. I'm going to use the word corruption, but I don't mean it, and it's true, you know, and it's your boldest sense of So Wager's not corrupt. You're not phoning somebody at the USG and saying, hey, give me a couple of extra Wagger points. I'll send you a put a poach salmon from Scotland or whatever, you know. So it doesn't work like that. But there's all sorts of amazing stories. So when you get to the top ten and Wagger maybe the top fifty, you can basically say that that's quite good. I mean, there's you can argue about it.
Speaker 2: At the margins.
Speaker 5: Wager is calculating over the space of two years, which is stupid.
Speaker 2: It's absolutely stupid.
Speaker 5: So guys who have still got high ranking have played ship for the last nine months, but played great eighteen months ago. And they'll be fifteenth in the world or ninth in the world, which is plainly ridiculous. So there's that criticism at they have very highest level. But apart from that, it's kind of just about fine. But once you start getting into i'll give you for rinch, I better be careful here. Something else I've forgot to mention. Wager determines membership of teams. So GB and I team for the Walker Cup next year, as is currently constituted. The captain of the GB and ISAA guy called Dean roberts and a great good A better suck up here just in case you know, just the best.
Speaker 4: No.
Speaker 5: I was gonna say he's a great player, Dean Robertson. He he won on the European Tour. Fabulous, great swing. But he's gonna he's good picking ten guys. Five of those guys will be the top five guys on wager. So so if you're a GB and nine player and you're one of the five best GB andy, GB and I guys as ranked by wager, you're on the Walker Cup team.
Speaker 2: A very big deal.
Speaker 5: So that fact, how does that influence what.
Speaker 2: What players do?
Speaker 5: Obviously it influences them to play better, but also influences and this is the case in the usg as well. Also influences players two where they play, what tournaments they play in. You know, once upon a time, when none of this stuff existed, players are just going to play. No, it's they're having the US Amateur at Cyprus point. Oh jeez, I'm definitely gonna go that. I say it's a bad ex But so players who just go and play. Now, players are very very careful about where they play because they don't want to impact their wager. And I'm talking about the very very best players all around the world. Incidentally, talking about Walker Cup teams, I'm talking about Eisenhower Trophy teams, which is the World Amaster Got team championship, the best three guys and I can only speak for Scotland. I think two of the three guys are the best two guys picked off wager. How does it influence players where they play? And once upon a time they would just go and play, and now they're nursing, and you can see it there. Now they're nursing, their wagger rankings are taking care not to play. I'll give you, for instance, if you go and play in the Welsh Amateur Championship. You're a top player and you're going to play in the Welsh Amateur Championship. Say you're fortieth on the rank the wager and if you stay in fortieth place, you will get picked for the Walker Cup team. So you're incentive to skip your national championship. The Welsh Amateur National Championship is huge because in order to nurse your wager, you've really got to finish first or second in that tournament. You might have a bad week, you might have the flu and go and finish fiftieth. You'll get minimal points and that will take your wager ranking down. So players don't want that to happen. So you see it all over the place. Now it's a real I think there's a great guy on Twitter called Amateur Golf Bible, a guy called Mark Haley. I think he mintained last week. Of the top twenty five English guys on wager, I think only ten of them played in the English National Amateur last week. Fifteen guys missed it. And I'm sure there are all sorts of different reasons for that, but I guarantee you somewhere in the mix of all of that will be guys looking to nurse their Wager ranking.
Speaker 2: So a really not a good thing.
Speaker 5: You'd have to say further down the rankings, it's a wholesale I mean, I will use the word corruption. You have national federations in obscure places setting up tours specifically for their elite players. So to run a Wagger tournament, all you really need you need you need ted players, and you need I think it's ted players, and you need to play fifty four holes and there might be a minimum number of Wagger players need to be ranked in the field or something like that. So you have I'm not sure this goes on, but it used to go on. National federations would set up I won't name a European country but it's a small European country that nobody's really ever heard, would set up tournaments and they would instructor they'd get their eleven best players and they would have like eleven events, and they would instruct each player to win an event. So this week is going to be your event, Joseph, and next week, Garrett, you're going to win the event. The purpose of that is if you win a Wagger a Wagger event, the minimum number of points that the winner of a wagger event gets a seven point five huge So if you finish fiftieth in the Western Amateur, huge event, massive event, very important event. If you finish fiftieth in the Western Amateur, let's say you'll probably get six and a half points. Compared to Garrett Morrison winning the Lithuanian Something Tour you get seven and a half. So can you see where the corruption comes into A use of the country Lithanian. I'm not saying it was Lithania, but so.
Speaker 4: It was Lindenstein. We're calling out like Liechtenstein, right, we're call it.
Speaker 5: So the point being it's very very easily manipulated to for malevolent purposes. You know, for instance what I called them out on social media. Last year there was a private school in Scotland set up a tour, set up events basically for their own kids to play in essense of they're farming farming wagger points. So why is this important? It's important because it's important because the top five hundred get automatic extension into the US Amateur. It's important because the British Boys Championship is taking off the wagon rankings. They go down the wagon rankings and you're selected based on your you know, for a place in the field based on your wagon rankings. So it's a you know, it's very hard to imagine there's a perfect system, but as currently constituted, it's a pretty imperfect situation for a very very important thing in amateur golf.
Speaker 4: Now, to finish here, yeah, I mean, that's that's fascinating in for Lawrence, that definitely clarifies things for me. And if people are angry about the ow g R right now, I think maybe, oh my god, more arguably about about Wagger. But in any case, just to finish here, if I if I were just to appoint you that the czar of amateur golf, and this is something that I think it might be a good thing. Right to keep it simple, what is the first directive? What is the first big fix or simple thing that you either take away or implement to make the experience better for young golfers.
Speaker 5: I would take away rankings, particularly junior rankings. That's really it. I think that would solve a lot of issues about where players play, how they behave, how parents behave. If you remove the significance of rankings, I think overall, certainly junior golf would improve hugely.
Speaker 3: I know.
Speaker 5: And at the elite amateur level, again it's hard because there's so much at stake. Now, there's so much money at stake, there's so much prestige at stake. I don't know you could remove the rankings at the at the highest level, but certainly at junior level it would improve behavior, you know, just enormously. I would also, so again I'll get murdered for this. I'd abolish the A G G A. I just think, and just go to a regional, you know, like now, it didn't play a lot as a junior golfer, but the gg J G A, NCA or whatever it's called, the junior golf A so season in northern California, it was a brilliant just a brilliant breeding ground. Last week, just very quickly last week at the at the Western. At one point in the tournament, three the top four came through the j G G n C Coyven Gilligan, Zach Polo, a great player of Arizona, all came through, you know, the junior system. And these were three kids that really barely touch I mean, Jackson played a lot of agg later in his career, and that's fine. He was looking for a good competition. But the rankings are they they provoked all sorts of terribly bad behavior, you know, and you know, put too much pressure on kids at the upper level. Oh my goodness, i'd get rid of agents. Get rid of agents there. I mean, they're I mean the US amateur next week are going to be crawling all over the place. I believe somebody told me yesterday again that there's I think there's two hundred and fifty kids playing college golf now who are making money. Yeah, yeah, And I'm not sure that that's I mean, great for them, and I'm sure that would it's a great help when you're because le amateur golf is an expensive business, believe you me. And I'm sure the money helps. But you know, again, I think it might provoke alkins bad behavior.
Speaker 2: So there you go.
Speaker 4: I think that wanting to get rid of agents might be where the journalists and the parents meet and shake hands, don't you.
Speaker 5: Think, Oh yeah, I'm not sure. I'm guessing some Oh actually, yeah, give it. I don't know if every should be a referenced that dun Lap story last week.
Speaker 2: That was a story.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's a nasty situation in your first I mean people should read that that article by Josh Carpenter for Sports Business Journal about Nick Dunlap and the lawsuit that's going between his agency and his family. But the first question you ask when you see an article like that is like, why is the agent so involved before the kid turns pro to the extent that it becomes a dispute once he does turn pro. And and so I think that's a It's about serving the kids, right, Junior golf, amateur golf should be kid centric. That's that's my perspective on it. Maybe this is just the former teacher in me speaking, but when I think of junior athletics, it's it's got to be something that is more focused on the child. And it seems like a lot of aspects of junior golf and amateur amateur golf don't really have that motive. And so maybe that's just what we need to get back to somehow or another. Though I don't have much optimism that it will.
Speaker 5: We send like two old guys here.
Speaker 4: Is gray hairs.
Speaker 5: That's never it's never good. Although I'm saying that you're talking about the nickdun Lap situation, yea, the agency, I don't think this was that we're named. It was GSC. It's Bryson Dechampole's agency, the agency he's with. I note this week that they've got two top guys just put PG two University of just come out and just signed the GS. So it doesn't seem to be doing them any harm. You read the storyline, you think, oh my god, that's their toast, a partly their note toast.
Speaker 2: Far from it.
Speaker 4: My goodness. Well, Lawrence, this has been a total delight. Thank you for coming on the podcast, and of course, best of luck to Denial in the US Amateur this week. We'll be falling along and hope he has a great experience listen. Thanks for that, Thanks Joseph, Thanks Garrett.
Speaker 2: All Right, so.
Speaker 4: Joseph and I are back for recommendations. Before we get into that, i'd like to talk a little bit about Friday Golf getting into the book business. We've actually partnered with Josh Pettitt and the Alistair Mackenzie Institute on the release of Mackenzie's book Golf Architecture. So this is a groundbreaking book in the history of golf architecture. It was released in nineteen twenty and a lot of people might be familiar with Spirit of St. Andrews from mackenzie, but Golf Architecture was kind of the original version of that, and it has so much of the analysis and the passages the quotes that are very famous from Mackenzie's body of work. So this is a really great and concise book about golf course design. Probably the single best single volume book to read if you're getting into reading about golf architecture. So these books will ship out in about six to eight weeks.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 4: Cheap copies of this book can be found on the internet, but Josh went to great lengths to recreate the original edition of this book by manually typing out the entire text and retype setting the whole book. So this is as close to a true reproduction of the original book as possible. There's nothing else available that's anything like this. So we would like people to go to McKenzie dot golf. That's the very simple URL where you can find your copy of this book, and you can use the promo code fried egg all one word for ten percent off your copy of McKenzie's original Golf Architecture edition. Really really great thing here in a wonderful book, all right, So Joseph, let's do let's do recommendations. What are you recommending this week?
Speaker 3: Yeah, a little bit of a random one. But there's a podcast that's what.
Speaker 4: The segment is all about. Man, this is this is about randomness here.
Speaker 3: That was an unnecessary preface. There's a podcast called Acquired that a lot of my friends are into on just how certain businesses got started. Specifically, I would recommend the episode about the NFL, which was released in January of twenty twenty three, not just because the NFL season is coming up, but I think it is pretty instructive and considering the golf world right now as it's being shaped, and some of the ingredients that made the NFL successful, and why they set things up the way that they did, how the business model they had the foresight to create competitive parity and stress that and some of the media deals that they entered into. I do while I was listening to it, if you know a ton about the NFL, you might not learn a bunch. But considering some of the same problem sets that are faced by the professional golf world as everything is kind of getting shaken up and potentially some kind of deal gets put back together, I thought it was a useful exercise to listen to that pod and consider what the implications for golf. So it's a big commitment. It might be like three hours.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I know, believe it or not. This was a backup recommendation for me today. I was thinking about recommending the acquired podcast, not that specific episode. I think the one that I would have guided people toward would have been maybe the recent Starbucks episode where they actually did one of their kind of narrative podcasts with Howard Schultz in the room with them. Pretty awesome offering there. But when it's just the two hosts going through one of these company stories, it's a really really compelling podcast, very good storytelling. And yes the episodes can be three four hours long. Sometimes for some companies like Video for example, they'll do multi part episodes that are just kind of epic. But it's a very very engaging podcast and one that I would recommend as well. So the recommendation that I'm going to make is actually another podcast. So we're just like directing people to other podcasts. But that's fine. We want people to listen to a lot of podcasts here in compositions. We want people coming back on the podcast app listening to us as well as these other great ones. The one that I've been kind of mainlining recently in addition to Acquired is the Big Picture podcast from The Ringer hosted by Sean Fennessy and Amanda Dobbins. This is a chat show about movies essentially, but the specific genre of episode within this podcast that I've been listening to is the movie draft episodes where they bring in Chris Ryan, who's another kind of Ringer universe personality, and they draft movies from certain years in different categories. So there's categories like blockbuster or comedy or drama or action slash horror slash thriller, and they look at movies from a specific year and they kind of do a snake draft of the movies to see who can come up with the best lineup of movies. And I've really enjoyed these. I think a lot of people really enjoy these. I think they've been very successful episodes for the Big Picture because they keep doing them over and over, and in fact, they're running out of kind of like years in the past four decades to do at this point. But I've been basically listening to these from the beginning. Within the last few weeks, and I find them very, very fun. There's a great dynamic between the hosts, and it's a good way to kind of remember movies that you saw at the time but haven't revisited since and just be like, yeah, I should go back and watch that again, Like The Mummy, for instance, that Brendan Fraser movie. It's such a great little action movie that Hollywood doesn't really make anymore, completely original, and it's just a fun watch. And it's basically available for free online. I think it's on two B or something. But that's the kind of movie that I remember seeing in the theaters when it came out, but then forgetting about and not really going back to. And so these movie draft podcasts are kind of a great way to remember some of those things. So Big Picture Podcast, I think it's a really really high quality pod. All right, Joseph, I think that's it for today. Anything else, that's it, Okay, Thanks for coming on the pod.
Speaker 3: Thanks Garrett. That's fun.
Speaker 4: This episode of the Frida egg Golf Podcast was produced by PJ Clark. Thank you, PJ. We want to make sure that people are aware that Frida egg Golf has a pro shop. Go to proshop dot Thefrida Egg dot com. I believe that's the URL, pretty confident that's the r L. We have a lot of great stuff there. Our merchzar meg Atkins, does a wonderful job of creating good looking, inventive products that I think you'll really like. So go there and just see what we have. We all have all sorts of new offerings with various logos. There's some funny stuff and then there's just some stuff that that looks really really nice. So proshop dot the Friday dot com see what we have there. Thank you for listening, and we'll be back again soon with another episode.
Speaker 3: M