Speaker 1: Good morning, peeps, and welcome to wok F Daily with Meet your Girl Danielle Moody. Pre recording from the Home Bunker. Folks, I'm excited to introduce you to today's guests. Usually on wok F we do one on ones because I like to go in depth with people and frankly, it's easier pre you the listener. But today we have a special two on one conversation with the hosts of the serial podcast Obscured, and I get into conversation with Emily Previty and Stephanie Marudis from Kuvenda Media to discuss the first season of Obscure, which dives into Folks, I'm going to say a phrase that I've never said before, policing trauma, those that have been abused and experienced trauma at the hands of police. You know, whenever we cover state sanctioned violence police brutality on this show, we are often trying to humanize the person that was and then became a hashtag because of being shot, choked, killed by police officer or white vigilante. We never then go back for those that maybe didn't die, but were emotionally and physically harmed. The effects that that kind of trauma has on larger community and just the questioning of our unjust system as a whole. And so this series Obscured looks into this issue in their first season, because these are two media veterans that wanted to bring attention and spotlight issues that legacy media leaves behind on the newsroom floor. And so they've done a ton of research and a ton of interviews, and this conversation really brings to light all that we don't know and all of the work that is left to be done. So that conversation with the hosts and founders of Kuvenda Media, Emily Previty and Stephanie Merude, is coming up next, folks. I am very excited to welcome to OKF Daily for the first time, the creators and hosts behind Obscured by Couvenda Media, a series that dives into underreported complex issues often missed in the daily news cycle. Their inaugural series, From Words to Weapons, centers on the harrowing tales of law enforcement trauma survivors and the intricate web of challenges, solutions, and hope and resilience that comes along with that. So I am so excited Emily and Stephanie to have the both of you on the show please so that my listeners can get used to your voices. Please introduce yourselves and tell us a little bit about your your backgrounds and how you came together in Couvenda Media.
Speaker 2: Danielle, thank you so much for having us today. My name is Emily Previty. I'm the co creator and executive executive editor. I've obscured and my background is in newspapers originally, but then got back to radio. I had gotten into journalism initially working for WXPN, which is a music focused radio station in Philadelphia, but worked for the morning new show when I was an undergraduate, and I was working for the Press of Atlantic City covering city hall and casinos when Stephanie and I cross paths initially, but then you know, several years later, each working for NPR affiliates based in Pennsylvania, collaborated with some other journalists on a long form podcast series called Grapple, and we really hit it off. Felt like our you know, approaches and interests were aligned as far as reporting. Stayed in touch. It's some side projects together, and I joined Stephanie full time at Kuvenda in twenty twenty one to launch Obscured. Awesome.
Speaker 3: Yeah, thanks Danielle for having us on the show. We're excited to be here. I'm Stephanie Marutis and I fell into journalism accidentally, i'd say after college. I had a day job and I started volunteering with a Greek community radio station in New York City. I had a show, a community affair show, and was the reporter, producer and host for a Greek diaspora show. And I really loved it.
Speaker 1: I loved it more than my day job.
Speaker 3: And I decided to make the switch to become a public radio reporter and I was fortunate to be able to do so. And I first started working at WYPR in Baltimore, the NPR affiliate. I grew up in Baltimore, and so it was great to be able to report on my hometown. And then I made the switch to whroy Y in Philadelphia, where we're based, and spent my time as a general assignment reporter, you know, covering education, healthcare, immigration, and just continued to, you know, try to hone the craft as much as possible and got really into oral history on the side and reading about personal accounts and thinking a lot about how public policy impacts our lives flash Forward, went from being a reporter to a producer, started working on audio documentaries and eventually did another deep dive study into oral history and that really catapulted to that really catapulted me to start Covenda Media as a production company to produce narratives through social change. And as Emily mentioned, we came together on Grapple and uh that was, you know, just an extraordinary experience with a wonderful team, and then insight into the collaboration with Emily and thinking about how could we do this again? And this is where we are today day.
Speaker 1: Amazing. I love the background and love the story of how the two of you came together. I think that, you know, storytelling, particularly around justice issues are incredibly important. And what I find is that we get very much bogged down by statistics and stories are what turn statistics into people and humans with lives and and how those policy decisions affect people's day to day lives. I think is where we are needing right. We need more of that in order to understand why policy matters, like why it matters to your day to day life. So let me let me ask you this, and and Emily if you if you'll kick us off with the response, which is, you know, tell us about Obscured and that first season, because let me tell you that, when I think about all of the names that kind of rattle through my head of unarmed black people, children, women who were killed by police, when I think about those people that would become hashtags that then came from communities, families, you know, schools, and the loss that kind of is a ripple effect. We don't really ever dig into that kind of trauma and the fact that you even named it as you know, people who were victimized by police police trauma. Just talk to us about that first season and really your why behind it.
Speaker 2: So the idea for the first season, well, it had been years since I had reported on criminal justice, account ability and excessive force, but I had done that before and switched medium, switched jobs and beats since then, but had really continued to follow the issue and care very deeply about it over the years. Wanted to get back to that should the opportunity present, and so that was in my mind, but we hadn't decided what we were going to do, how we were going to focus the first season of Obscured. I was researching an episode for At the Core of Care, which is a podcast that predates my time at Kuvenda with Stephanie, but that she has produced with a nursing advocacy organization for years, and was researching an episode for that about standardizing sexual assault exam procedures. And you know, I came across nurse who was on the schedule for a conference for forensic nurses specific and the title of her presentation was developing a protocol. I don't remember the exact title off the top of my head, but it was about developing the protocol for caring for people who were survivors of law enforcement trauma, developing a forensic model for doing so. And I asked her about that sort of as a warm up, but then that's where the conversation went, and it was clear to me immediately that her story and her work could be part of, if not the focus, of the first season. And her name is Maya Anderson. She runs the undergraduate and graduate nursing programs at Morgan State University in Baltimore.
Speaker 1: And Stephanie, for you, you know.
Speaker 2: What.
Speaker 1: Brought you to this being the focus of the first season and why was it important to tell this kind of again. You know, we see a lot you know, I noticed, I don't know if you guys notice, but every time there is some type of nationalized uh incident involving police, then all of a sudden, my social media seems to be flooded with all of these heartwarming videos of police showing up in neighborhoods and you know, and playing jump rope and doing all of these things. So why was it important for you to show that the trauma side.
Speaker 3: Yes, thanks for that question. And I think as we think about why we're doing obscured in the first place, uh, that could help set the stage to help me answer the question. Emily and I, you know, spent time uh working in legacy media organizations and uh, you know, working in the daily news cycle, and you know, we've just noticed so many redundancies. You know, you really see the same story kind of over and over again, and uh, you know, your listeners and you and us, you know, we're just consumed in content.
Speaker 2: We have a lot of content.
Speaker 3: Coming at us all the time on various platforms, and I think as journalist, Emily and I, you know, feel committed to being able to report on angles of stories that do not often you know, get told in the in the coverage that you see in the media, and you know, we start to think about, you know, how could we help contribute to moving a conversation forward on an issue. And I think, as Emily mentioned when she spoke with Maya Anderson, you know, that struck us as, Wow, that's an angle of this topic we've never heard about. You know, that forensic nurse who has seen people present in the emergency department who need care and they need to have a protocol, uh, you know, and that it's it's controversial, and there's a lot of pushback, you know, around this, and you know, as she lays out in episode seven of our series, and and some of the other nurses who are interviewed, you know, it's this dynamic of calling the police on the police, and that's really hard to do. And so we thought that this is a story that needs to be told. And to Emily's credit, you know, she spent the last few years digging deep, doing a ton of research, developing sources, you know, really trying to tell this story that's not told and so that fit with our mission of Obscured, and you know, it's it's difficult to report, and you know, Emily, you know, and I would identify some potential sources and you know, try to connect with you know, sources and they might be ready to talk, but then in some cases they weren't. And we totally get that, and it's a thank you for considering the time. You know, we we we understand. So it took time to develop trust and and sources. And I think in Emily's reporting you can see that we took a trauma informed approach. In our narrative episodes.
Speaker 1: The series begins with the story of Jimmy Warren, and so I'd love for you to be able to explain to the listeners about that case and why you decided to start the series with him.
Speaker 2: Sure, so Jimmy Warren's case. If you follow these issues closely, you might remember back in twenty sixteen, there was a major decision in the fall of that year from the Massachusetts Supreme Judicial Court that got a lot of attention because it basically stated that, you know, police need to consider the long term generational trauma that people of color have over police abuse, oppression, over law enforcement trauma, and that just because someone runs from the police not mean that they're guilty, and that is something when the police are making a calculus of whether to pursue someone, whether to arrest someone, whether that's going to be considered justifiable or appropriate in the court of law, running is not a good enough reason, essentially, And basically, you know, I had been talking to a capital defense attorney and she sort of reminded me that about that case. I noticed that no one had interviewed Jimmy, and end of the articles that I could find, his attorney that handled this case at the appellate level had never met him. And both of those things struck me as highly unusual. None of the stories that I found said even something like, you know, we tried to reach Jimmy and we couldn't or anything like that. And so, you know, it seemed to me that if we could find this person whose case was, you know, it made a major statement. Basically, of course, it's the state court, so it's not the law of the land, but it certainly did have an impact, as we discovered through further reporting. But you know, I mean, we did talk to Jimmy and he immediately agreed to you know, sit down with me. I went to Boston. We had a pretty lengthy interview and he's a fantastic storyteller, and you know, was just a great interview, and we felt like one the attention on the case could serve as a good entry point for listeners who follow this issue. They may remember it because it did make national headlines, but then also the nature of the case, it's not rooted in any kind of physical injury. But and as he speaks to in episode one of the From Words Weapons series, just this long term like over policing and the effects of that. And we hoped that that would establish the ubiquity of law enforcement trauma and the true high relevance of this issue, you know, again looking at it in a way that we don't often see in the news.
Speaker 1: What you know, and this is a question for the both of you, and I'd love to hear both of your thoughts on this. What was the most surprising thing that you discovered, you know, through your research and through putting together this series, Because it seems like the research that you've done, the people that you've talked to h is so extensive. What surprised you the most? And anyone can can jump in and go first.
Speaker 2: Hmmm, what is the most surprising thing. So I guess I should caveat this by working as a journalist basically for my entire career, we can be I mean, I could be. Almost nothing is surprising, even though it may be kind of outrageous or infuriating. I'm thinking about I'm thinking about episode three, and that is about Chesterholman, the third who was exonerated after serving nearly three decades in prison for a murder he did not commit. And just the fact that there isn't support for people who've been wrongfully convicted in the way that there should be, given the fact that the state, the government has already essentially admitted their error and the harm that it caused by virtue of this person. It's wrongful conviction. So you know, there's not a lot of support. It's all over the map as far as state by state, Pennsylvania is one of about of a dozen that if you don't go the route of litigation, you aren't compensated for this harm that you suffer. Which why should someone have to go through that again or file a lawsuit? I mean, it should be a choice, right, And so recognizing that most states have an alternate path that's more of an application process and it's all over the map. As I said, it's very different. There are states. Systems for this are not all created equal. But you know, I would say that I don't know if i'd use the word surprising, but I thought I was certainly outraged to discover that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that is horrendous to have to then go through the legal system that unjustly convicted you to try and correct a harm that was caused to you is pretty wild.
Speaker 2: Sure. And in Chuster's case and the cases of many others who have been through this, it's there's a true cost associated with it. I mean, if you serve time in prison, it's just you know, there's mental health support that you're going to need. You have to restart your entire life, maybe you want to go back to school, you want to get job training. I mean, the list just goes on and on, right and your family, if you know your family was supporting you through this, and you know they may be in debt from trying to pay for attorneys to try to overturn your case, I mean, yeah, it was just kind of shocking, Yeah, to see the effort that people have to go through to be compensated for all of that, and Stephanie.
Speaker 1: For you what was the most surprising.
Speaker 3: I would add to Emily's you know, episode three and this topic, and you know, just to shout out Emily as well. You know, she really laid out the politics in Pennsylvania behind you know, compensation for wrongfully convicted and you know we don't have a statute for that, and just sort of how contentious that is in the state. And so that was also illuminating, besides the whole story, you know, of what happened to Chester Home in the third I would also say in an episode that we released on December twentieth, it is a conversation with a physician who has worked in public health and it's about post incarceration. Excuse me, it's about post incarceration healthcare and navigating mistrust within the medical system. And uh. Doctor Deva Vencatt is the co founder and co director of an organization in Pittsburgh for people after they've been incarcerated, and you know, she's very candid about what happens, you know, in terms of healthcare for people while they're incarcerated and afterwards, and how they're treated and how they can't get the same access to care and are viewed differently, really without humanity, and that that really just opened my eyes again just sort of stories that you don't hear and you know she has, you know, that first hand experience, and you know, is part of a group of healthcare professionals who are trying to change that. And they're they're taking a harm reduction approach to care, you know, right after uh people are released, you know, they're they're meeting them right away, you know, trying to say, can we connect you with healthcare? Because she told us and as we've learned from a nurse navigator who's you know, part of her staff as well, that formerly incarcerated individuals are at higher risk of dying right after release than those first wow.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know it comes everything from substance abuse potential to you know, just having health care and uh So that that really was like whoa so? And I feel I could go on about other surprises, but thank you for the question.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Absolutely. As I close out with with the both of you, I just I want to say thank you so much for the work that you've done to bring you know, these stories to light and just your perspective and how you were looking at us using media and narrative to to have an impact into how policy can change our lives for the better or for the worse. So please Emily tell folks how they can connect with the series, how they can listen, you know, and and learn more.
Speaker 2: So you can find Obscured on any major streaming platform. You could go to podlink and put an obscured and you'll find it there. We are on social media at Kuvenda Media. I'm on social at emily Underscore Previty and the website is Couvendimedia dot com k O u v e n d Amedia dot com. Amazing.
Speaker 1: Thank you both so much for making the time for wok F. I really appreciate you.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much for the conversation Danielle.
Speaker 3: Thank you Danielle. We really enjoyed being on the show.
Speaker 1: That is it for me today, dear friends on woke F as always, power to the people and to all the people. Power, get woke and stay woke as fuck.