Speaker 1: Is doctor dom here from the Cultivating her Space podcast. Are you currently a resident of the state of California and contemplating starting your therapy journey? Well, if so, please reach out to me at doctor Dominique Brusard dot com. That's d R D O M I N I q U E b R O U ss ar D dot com to schedule a free fifteen minute consultation. I look forward to hearing from you. Welcome to Cultivating her Space. I'm doctor dom a college professor and licensed psychologist.
Speaker 2: And I'm Terry Lomax, a techie and motivational speaker. Now, before we jump into today's episode, we want to share something special. For the first time in eight years of podcasting, we're taking a much needed summer break. But stay tuned to see what that means for you.
Speaker 3: That's right, lady, After nearly a decade of showing up week after week, we're giving ourselves a little time to rest, recharge, and refill our cups. But don't worry, we're not leaving you hanging. Over the next few weeks, we'll be dropping these many episodes filled with reflections, insights, encouragement, and some of the conversations we think you need right now.
Speaker 2: When we return, you can expect even more of what you love, authentic conversations, powerful storytelling, practical tools for healing and growth, and fresh perspectives on everything from mental health and relationships to self discovery and personal development. Thank you for being part of this community and for growing alongside us over the years. Now let's get into the mini episode. All right, girl, can we talk about something well?
Speaker 4: You gay? I feel like every few.
Speaker 2: Months, the Internet picks a confident woman, usually a confident black woman, and decides that she's doing too much.
Speaker 4: I see it by the time.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I know you don't spend a lot of a lot of time in pop culture, but you know that's my world. I'll be up in there, and I feel like we see it with celebrities, we see it with influencers. Sometimes you may see it in the workplace, right, somebody's getting too much shine. Then people will start, you know, first they're rooting for you, and then you get too much shine and it's like, oh, she thinks she all that, da da da, And I think about you know. Keiki Palmer. She was recently at the BET Awards and people were talking about her taking the mic from drew Ski and saying like this should be my gig. I personally think that was scripture. I don't think she just got up and did that shit. I think this was part of the show. But she is a confident woman. She's doing her thing right now, right. I think about Beyonna, I think about someone Biles. I think think about Meg the Stallion man. People really mad, confident, sexually liberated black woman.
Speaker 4: Baby.
Speaker 2: They hate it's real, not at all any woman who you see who's unapologetic, right, It's like the hate train is crazy. So I'm I want to know, Lady dom, why do you think confidence in women can make people so uncomfortable?
Speaker 4: I have my own thoughts that I'm gonna hear from you.
Speaker 3: First, because it's like holding a mirror to themselves and shining a light on their own insecurities, whatever that might be. And oftentimes I'm about to make a controversial statement, Internet gonna come for me, and it's fine, all right, as it's kept. Black men are super fragile, and so when you mention all those women, I immediately thought of the most of the Internet trolls that are coming for those black women are insecure, fragile black men. Uh, oh. Now, let me be clear, there are lots of healthy, secure, confidence black men out there. Those are the ones that don't need to speak. They're not speaking, they're keeping their mouths closed because they let their actions speak for them. It's the ones that are the loudest and most wrong that are feeling the insecurity and don't know how to engage with a confident black woman.
Speaker 4: Now let me just let me tell you this. Okay, I'm give you all some tea. Now.
Speaker 2: The reason I really like this conversation is because I've been that insecure woman on the other side who's witnessed confident black men, confident black women, confident people, and I judge them. So now that I'm on the other side of that journey, like, I can offer both perspectives that maybe you too. Maybe you've been on both sides and you're like, oh, I can see that, I see it from a mile away. So I have empathy for those people. But I think a lot of times it can be about expectations as well, in addition to the insecurity. And so I know, growing up, I was taught many of we're taught to be agreeable, to be a combidant, and to be humble, to be modest, right, to be grateful, and easy to like. And so when a woman, specifically right, a black woman walks into a room and she owns her voice, she sets boundaries, she takes up space, she is comfortable. I'm thinking about Meg the Stallion personally because I love how confident she is, Like, I love how sexually liberated she is, the shit she talks about, I'm like, yeah, bitch, like, let's all of it, like like I fuck with it, right, And so I think a lot of times when you see a woman like that, and then she's beautiful, and then she got a body, right, she got this big old ass that people talk about, right, or she got her titties out. People can see that, and they can be intimidated by it. They can be you know, self conscious right for whatever reasons, whatever they got going on. People may call her arrogant or too much or difficult or aggressive. And at the end of the day, I think we should be confident. We should be we should talk our shit about ourselves like we should be. We should look in the mirror and like you're the badest motherfucker, you the badest motherfucker out here, Like we should feel that way about ours. But I think because of what a lot of us were taught in the expectations, it can make us uncomfortable.
Speaker 4: And like you said, dom, put a.
Speaker 2: Mirror up and show you how you don't feel about yourself, right, or.
Speaker 3: How maybe you do feel that that way about yourself, but you're afraid because of how we've been socialized, you're afraid to put it out there. And so then there's some envy around how observing how a confident woman is engaging. There's some envy around that.
Speaker 2: Girl you hit the nail on the head because I remember back when, like I've always loved to dance, and I've always.
Speaker 4: I felt like my bad le we.
Speaker 2: I think we talked about this on one of our Good Girl episodes, But I always like I knew I was in school when I you know, doing the school thing, get my degree, But I always knew I had to. I was ratchet at heart, Like I love to, you know, do ratsshit with my hood, right friends, Like you know, just twerk and drink it just be wild sometimes, right.
Speaker 4: I love that. And I saw women who were doing that on.
Speaker 2: Like social and I'd be like, damn, I want to be more like I want to be able to showcase more of that part of myself and like be in that, but I didn't have a space in life to really do that, and I was being hate.
Speaker 4: As much in that season in my life.
Speaker 2: And so I think some people are like that down where they may feel the confidence, but because they don't have a space to exude that and to illustrate that and to tap into that part of themselves, it's easy to shun and ostracize other women who are liberated and who are doing it.
Speaker 3: Yes, I yeah, I would agree with that, And I think that the thing that I think about is that when you have someone who people are saying they're too much, right, I think again it goes back to people feeling maybe envious of there of that person's freedom to be all of who they are. Right. Sometimes the the specific comment they're too much can be about the person who's making the comment a level of emotional intensity that they don't know how to regulate, that they don't know how to sit with or be with because they're not used to it. Right, So someone is out here expressing all the joy that they're experiencing and you don't know how to be with that much joy. You don't know what that's like, and so then you say that they're too much because you don't know how to be with that, Like, it does feel like too much because it's foreign to you. Right. Yeah, it could be that they've been socialized to suppress their emotions. So anyone who has any emotional expression feels like that person is too much because they were taught emotional expression is not something that happens, right, Like, you keep that to yourselves, right, And so what they're really saying with that is you're expressing what I was never allowed to express.
Speaker 4: Oh that is good.
Speaker 3: And so I think the thing to remember is that usually the people who are saying someone is too much, it's not about the person who they're saying is too much. It's about themselves, something that's happening within them exactly.
Speaker 2: All right, lady, we're going to take a quick pause to share something we genuinely love and are excited to partner with. This episode is sponsored by VBA Health, and we'll tell you why they've officially earned a spot in our wellness rotation.
Speaker 3: Lady, we want to talk about one of their products called drive Boost.
Speaker 2: And right away, dom one thing that stands out about this product is how intentional it is. You already know the libido space can feel confusing and honestly not very trustworthy.
Speaker 3: Exactly, and VB Health approaches this differently. Drive Boost is doctor formulated, made with scientifically backed ingredients, and third party tested for quality and safety.
Speaker 2: And just like everything we promote, this is a product that we personally tried and feel good recommending it works.
Speaker 3: No, girl, Another thing worth noting, drive Boost is formulated for all genders. That's you, your partner, and anybody else, which isn't always the case in this category.
Speaker 4: Yes, I love that so much, lady.
Speaker 2: If you want to learn more or explore whether it's a fit for you, visit VB dot health and you called her space for ten percent off or click the link in the show notes.
Speaker 3: And now let's get back to the conversation.
Speaker 2: And then the question becomes like too much for whom? Because just because someone else is doing something that may be too much for me. Even today, I may see someone I'm like, oh wow, like they're they doing a lot? Like they doing that, but it may not be something that I want to do. But it doesn't mean I have to judge that person, right, Let them be like, I don't need it's none of my business.
Speaker 4: I don't know what their journey is.
Speaker 2: I don't know where what they've had to fight in their life to become confident and free in their body. So I think a lot of this goes to like minding our own business right. There's like a little bit of that minding the business that pays us right doing that. But then also just understanding that everyone has their own journey. You just don't know what people are going through, right, And so if someone I think about when we did our live show and we did our twork session, and for me, I know some people may not understand this, but for me, tworking is bigger than just being free and shaking ass, even though we love to throw some ass like as as someone who survived like you know, toxual trauma and things of that nature, it has been so liberating for me to feel and be in my body. And I do that at home. It's not something I just like. It's not my thing to always display it online per se. You know, I may have posted a video or two over the years, like it's something I do to liberate my body. It's like free up that just open up that sacred shack ra, you know what I mean, just like feel the things that I didn't feel before because I felt so restricted in my body.
Speaker 4: And so I think it's a bigger story.
Speaker 2: And sometimes when we see someone, whether it's be confident and speak up in a meeting or on a stage, or just how they show up, like having more empathy in like mind than our business, because you don't know what that person, how they fought to get there, and what they've been through to express and exude that type of confidence.
Speaker 3: Yes, and I think the thing to I think that is important. All of that is important to remember because the reality is for a lot for us as black women being told we're too much or people, it's about people trying to police us, right, yeah, trying to police our police, our voices, police our confidence, as we've been saying, police our ambitions, our emotional needs, like finding a way for people to people are trying to use that to find a way to control us.
Speaker 2: And so a couple of things to keep in mind, lady, as you are either evolving or embarking on your confidence journey or like notice when you're shrinking, you know, do you overexplain? Do you apologize unnecessarily. Do you minimize your accomplishments or ask for permission instead of making a decision right, think about those moments where you shrink and where you might be able to stand a little bit taller. And also ask yourself, am I trying to be respected or just liked?
Speaker 4: Oh? That's a big one. I used to just want to be liked.
Speaker 2: I feel like being respected is probably probably the better way to go.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and confidence isn't about being the loudest person. It's about trusting yourself. There are lots of people that I know that are extremely confident, and they walk into spaces and they are definitely not the loudest person in the room, but when they have something to say, they do speak up and the people listen. The final thing to remember is that someone else's discomfort doesn't automatically mean you're doing something wrong. I'm gonna say that one more time. Someone else's discomfort does not automatically mean you're doing something wrong. Oftentimes it's about them and things that they need to work through.
Speaker 4: Here we go.
Speaker 2: I think that is the message of the episode. And just remember, lady, you do not have to make yourself smaller so other people can feel bigger, be you. You deserve to be confident. You the baddest. Okay, tell yourself of the mirror, you the baddest you heard, and we hope you enjoyed this many episode and we'll catch you on the next one. Lady, if you want more speaking engagements, collaborations or visibility for your brand, I gotta tell you the truth. This is Terry low Max and I've been a public speaker for over twelve years. I've landed national media, a TED talk, and six figure collaborations without a publicist or a big social media following. And here's what most people don't hear. You don't need a publicist or a massive audience to get booked. Most people are waiting to feel established first, and that waiting is costing them visibility. How many times have you looked up and seeing people with less experience getting opportunities you were fully qualified for. Here's the truth. Opportunities don't go to the most qualified. They go to the people who can clearly communicate their value. Once I learned how to organize my story and position my expertise using a framework, everything changed. If you want my exact pitch emails, word for word, my winning subject lines and the Saucy Solutions framework. Visit get that Pitch dot com for a limited time use code her Space for a special listener discount. If this is your year to stop hiding and start getting booked, I'll see you inside. Visit get that pitch dot com or click the link in our show notes.
Speaker 3: Thanks for tuning into Cultivating her Space. Remember that while this podcast is all about healing, empowerment, and resilience, it's not a substitute for therapy. If you or someone you know needs support, check out resources like Therapy for Black Girls or Psychology Today. If you love today's episode, do us a favor and share it with a friend who needs some inspiration, or leave us a quick five star review. Your support needs the world to us and helps keep this space thriving.
Speaker 2: And before we meet again, repeat after me and move in alignment not urgency. What's meant for me? Responds to me, chep Thriving Lady and tune in next Friday for more inspiration from Cultivating her Space. In the meantime, be sure to connect with us on Instagram at her Space Podcast.