Speaker 1: Chased Lions running back Alti Taylor into the stands. Taylor told a reporter he thought Buckets was overrated. After Taylor stepped out of bounds to avoid a hit in the game, Buckets kept chasing him all the way to the stands of soldier field.
Speaker 2: Dick Buckus dig Buckets, buck As, that was the first thing you think of? Right there, Jules, there you are is Rambo. Oh look at you, man, I love that amo around. Man. You can't prepare, no, bro.
Speaker 1: The blackface now blackface remember in what he put his ship on.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's just that's kind of like I black boy on your whole face, so you can blind in the woods better.
Speaker 1: First thing I think of about Dick Buckets.
Speaker 2: Yeah, what's the first thing you think of besides an inappropriate first name? Well, that's what I know you're thinking of.
Speaker 1: Nah, yeah, I am.
Speaker 2: That's the thing I think of, Like, wow, he must have had a huge piece if that's your name. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I think his name was Richard and they call people Richard Dick. But first thing I think of just old school football. Oh he was Richard. Yeah, all right, so all Richard's are Dick, You know that, right.
Speaker 2: I didn't know that if you're a Richard, I thought Richard's you are Dick. But you can also just be named Dick, but not Richard.
Speaker 1: No, I don't think anyone's just named Dick.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Dick's sporting goods.
Speaker 1: That is that is correct. That is correct.
Speaker 2: But rich Richard sporting goods are yeah. Uh yeah, all Richards are Dicks.
Speaker 1: That is correct if you use the nickname.
Speaker 2: I have a good one. I just went I just had a monster appearance and my security guy name was Richard and he goes, yeah, everyone knows me as a monster Dick security monster Dick, and like that was pretty cool. I thought that was cool.
Speaker 1: Sorry, but it goes to the point anyone named Richard is Dick.
Speaker 2: So I was like, oh, my security guard has a monster Dick. That's what I was thinking. I'm protective, I'm productive. So yeah, if you're Richard, yeah you're Dick. Okay back to Dick buckets. Look at he's got butt in his last name too. I mean, this guy is very scary. That is scary. He's tore the offense, fucking the offensive lines as he shredded them, Like that's why, that's why. Butting his name toiler ass is apart on that football field.
Speaker 1: I mean that is is that a Mount Rushmore or football name?
Speaker 2: It might be Zick Buckets. It's top. I mean it's one of the top names.
Speaker 1: What are some other big names?
Speaker 2: I mean he also had other nicknames as well. The Animal, the Enforcer, the Maystro Maystro of Mayhem. That was me as a kid, by the way, Like, well, how we were just talking about me dressing up as that was the Maystrow of Mayhem. Oh and the Robot of Destruction. Oh that was also me too, walking into rooms and just me being on the field as a kid. Me and Dick are very similar.
Speaker 1: Do you ever meet him?
Speaker 2: Have I ever met him?
Speaker 1: He's not alive anymore, is he? He died recently the last like five years.
Speaker 2: I didn't.
Speaker 1: I don't think I ever got to meet him.
Speaker 2: I never got to meet him either, But I was just watching some highlight films with him man, and I just love the way that he plays and he has to be one of those first true linebackers where it's like he's huge, yeah, like being that size and huge exactly. He looked bigger than offensive linemen. He looked bigger than defensive lineman. I love the way that he wore his shoulder pads. It made him just look even bigger than everyone else because they were like stocky. He was like he was. He wore those full back shoulder pads a little bit, but at the linebacker position. But what I really loved about his game is that he ran after the ball carrier like there was no one else in his way, Like he would just run. A lineman would come and block him, but it's like he could see through the lineman. He could run right through the lineman. He can avoid that lineman that's coming out, and he would get to the ball carrier. Every single time someone falls on the ground in front of him. Somehow, even though he's staring at the ball carreer, he would leap over the guy that's on the ground instead of tripping over him. It's like nothing was stopping him from getting to that ball carrier. And that's what defines a great legendary linebacker is a see ball carrier, get the ball carrier.
Speaker 1: Tackle ball carrier.
Speaker 2: And that was Dick Buckus. And that's why he was one of the scariest guys to block, because it's so hard the block a guy that their motive is just to get the tackle, because they can just swoop right around you, run through you. They just don't see you. Jules No.
Speaker 1: I mean I've seen some highlights of him where he just literally four like doesn't I've seen him close arm people like that was The game back then was basically just like murder on a field. It was like these guys were poking each other's eyeballs, freaking. It was just a completely different game. And whenever you talk to anyone of like who's his storian of this game, they always talk about Dick Buckets. And we even said it, you know, talking about him sixty years later. His impact on the game was clearly insane. They say he had a four to five forty back then at two forty five. I mean, that's just crazy. He's hard nosed, had speed and range, was able to cover sideline to sideline. The sideline to sideline that was because of Dick Buckets, you know, that's where they got the term sideline to sideline. And it was pretty cool that he played his whole football career in the state of Illinois. You know, he went to University Illinois, played for the Bears, and he's a legend. He's just an absolute legend. He played with the ferocity of an angered animal. Hall of Fame coach George Allen on Buckus. The first time I saw Buckus, I started packing my gear. There was no way that guy wasn't going to be great. Bill George Buckus's predecessor at linebacker for the Bears.
Speaker 2: This is one of my favorite quotes right here by Bears center Mike Pile. Yes, yes, and just trying to get Buckets to go easier in practice, because I kind of did this sometimes like brother in law, that brother in law in practice, and I did it plenty of times, especially with Ninko. I gotta give credit to Ninkovic. I mean, he wasn't a great cover guy. You know, he's he's kind of mind boggled every single day as well. But this guy has slow center of gravity, Ninkovic, and it was so hard to block him. He had so much power. So I always tried to become buddies with him, because Buddy, I wanted to, you know, be one hundred percent for games on Sunday, and I just can't pole my head against Nikovic every day. I already knew that, but so this is a trick I liked by Mike Pile because I try to butter up Ninkovic. Is that I spent all this money buying him dinner and beer and stuff like that, so he wouldn't take it out on me in the scrimmages like that just explains how good Dick Bucket was and how hard he played.
Speaker 1: But do not put Ninkovich in the same sentence. But absolutely not.
Speaker 2: I was just putting him in the same sentence. Yeah, they're both from Illinois, and how I just buttered up Ninkos just because that's the only skill he had, was coming off the line and trying to hit me. No, I just no, what do you mean that? No, I just give him credit. He rags on us twenty four to seven.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we can't get all little Nico too bad.
Speaker 2: He might, Yeah he might cry.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he might get all sad.
Speaker 2: I'll hang out with him next week. He did. He had more skills than just coming off the line. He actually had over fifty sacks in his career.
Speaker 1: He did. We hear about it every time. Yeah, we do. We do the most forced fumble or the most fumble recoveries or something.
Speaker 2: I've and the most underpaid white line defensive ever ever play.
Speaker 1: But no, who wasn't under Well, Dick Buckets was probably underpaid too.
Speaker 2: Back three hundred dollars a game, he really did, Yeah, nineteen sixty.
Speaker 1: Did he have a job out of the season. Probably, That's how That's how it was back then. Remember we did the Remember we did the day? Were you there with Coach Belichick? Where we did the day where we were supposed to be from like the thirties or something or the forties where they took out like all the breakfast and they just gave you coffee and like cereal and like people were smoking cigarettes in practice and stuff. You know what I mean. Do you see that You remember that day?
Speaker 2: No, I don't.
Speaker 1: I wonder what year that was. We did like a time lapse thing. It was like a time lapse team building day where we were going to see how it was back in the day when.
Speaker 2: I think you were a rookie when this happened and I wasn't on the team yet.
Speaker 1: No, maybe it was the year you left or you retired.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I just wasn't there for it.
Speaker 1: You weren't that one. It was. It was pretty crazy that they lived like that.
Speaker 2: Well, let's get back to Dick Buckets. Okay. He made a media impact his rookie season. Five interceptions, seven fumble recoveries, and I just love the way when he picked up the ball he would just go full speed as well full speed and become a ball carrier. He was just so great to watch. He was entertaining. He had an incredible career at Illinois's All American play center and linebacker. I mean he had the size, Like I said, he was bigger than these offensive line at the time.
Speaker 1: He looks like a football player. He does he is.
Speaker 2: He's the definition of all football player.
Speaker 1: One of the first guys to wear a bull ring, I think too, was he one of that that was like that's he made the bull ring for middle linebacker. That was like a if you were a badass middle linebacker, you had the bull ring. And I think it was because of Dick Buckis.
Speaker 2: In nineteen seventy. Nineteen seventy were talking a year after nineteen sixty nine. I don't know why I just brought that up. I just just kind of felt like I should have just popped up on your number. He signed a multi year contract extension that remained in Chicago and the contract. The contract raised a salary from fifty thousand dollars per year to around eighty thousand to one hundred thousand dollars per year, or we're talking a complete football player, and he was just making one hundred thousand dollars a year.
Speaker 1: But one hundred thousand dollars back in nineteen seventy yeah, I mean.
Speaker 2: It was probably like two million now.
Speaker 1: Maybe something like that. We don't rob probably did the math.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was about two million. Now that it's about two million right there. He's so huge, all right, he was fine. He had money.
Speaker 1: They didn't even keep probably have to pay for.
Speaker 2: A single thing though, in the state of Illinois. No, this guy, even his center was buying him beer.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this guy didn't have to pay for a thing. Hey, do you think he could have covered you jewels? No? Yeah, I know I was watching him cover guys he got. Back in those days, they didn't really have the athletics.
Speaker 1: Say if he got his hands on me, yeah, he could have.
Speaker 2: Kind of liked you.
Speaker 1: They probably with his he would have like probably like just tackled.
Speaker 2: Me, yeah, exactly, and that would have been allowed. But because he would have only had to tackle you in order to cover you. But we smoked him back in the day. I saw him in coverage. But I love But why wouldn't say we would smoke him in the In the run game, I think, no run right through us. But man, in the past game, I'd give it to us.
Speaker 1: Chased Lions running back ALTI Taylor into the stands. That's how scary this joker is. Taylor told a reporter he thought Buckets was overrated. After Taylor stepped out of bounds to avoid a hit in the game, Buckets kept chasing him all the way to the stands of Soldier Field.
Speaker 2: I love it. I love it time Dick buckus airy player.
Speaker 1: And rest in peace to Dick. He he passed away a few years ago and we're talking about him to this day. One of the founding followers of this league.
Speaker 2: And thank you to Dick Buckets for, you know, setting the standard of what it is to be a football player, not an athlete out there and be a freak of nature, a football player just going out there and dominating on the football field. Thank you, Dick.
Speaker 1: I mean, he could probably be a bunch of these things. He was such a huge dude, ran four or five. Obviously has dog tendencies, but I think it's one thing when you look at him, it.
Speaker 2: Just just stands out. And like, what I really like about him as well, is that stash that he has. That stash just stands out to me and just made him that much more scary.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all kind of duties on three one two three.
Speaker 2: Stud Yeah, he's got his center buying him beers. Uh, he got that stash that I just brought up. I got to bring it up again because we didn't talk about it at all. I mean, just the way he can go from sideline to sideline.
Speaker 1: And he's been he's been the role model for every middle linebacker since. Like everyone talks about dick buckets, ray Lewis talks about dick buckets like Fred Warner probably talks about dick buckets. I don't know if he does, but probably probably probably because that's how studily he was