Speaker 1: Welcome to Before Breakfast, a production of iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: Good Morning.
Speaker 1: This is Laura, Welcome to the Before Breakfast podcast. Today's episode is going to be a longer one part of the series where I interview fascinating people about how they take their days from great to awesome and any advice they might have for the rest of us. So today I am delighted to welcome Lisa Billu to the show. Lisa is the co founder of Quest Nutrition, the president of Impact Theory, and creator of Women of Impact. She has built up a huge social media following sharing her message of confidence and resilience. So, Lisa, welcome to the show.
Speaker 2: Thanks so much for having me. I'm super excited.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So, why don't you tell our listeners just a little bit more about yourself? What's you're up to these days? Oh?
Speaker 2: Up to these days? Is great?
Speaker 1: This as a So Lisa is Los Angeles based, So that's a loaded question, isn't it?
Speaker 2: Yeah? It is.
Speaker 3: But what's inch thing though, is as we talk about, you know, kind of like what we do in the mornings, and you know, how we live our lives and the habits that really serve us. I think that any time if you've done the practice, and you've really put in habits and systems to help you navigate situations. Even with the fires, those systems and those skill sets really do come in handy. And so just now, like you said, we're dealing with all the fires and there's so much anxiety.
Speaker 2: Friends have lost their houses.
Speaker 3: How do you keep showing up positive with a strong, confident mindset no matter what happened? And so that is actually really what I'm focused on.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 2: What's my morning habits? How am I serving myself?
Speaker 3: And how am I setting myself up for success every day?
Speaker 1: That's wonderful. Yeah, we've got to be resilient, I mean, because what other choice do we really have in life? Right? I mean, so from what I understand, you know, you guys have this huge business, but you didn't necessarily set out to have a big entrepreneurial career. This was not what you dreamed of growing up necessarily. Can you talk a little bit about that.
Speaker 3: Yeahoute, So I grew up really wanting to be in Hollywood. My dream was to be a female movie director, the first one that ever won an Academy Award.
Speaker 2: Like, I was so excited. I went to film school.
Speaker 3: But I'm Greek Orthodox and every step of the way in my entire journey as a young girl, I was told that my future was going to be me being a wife and a mother, and that was my purpose in life. So I meet the man of my dreams, and then I fall into the pattern and the life that everybody else had painted for me. And before I knew it, I felt like I blinked. And eight years went by and I was cooking and cleaning for my husband and I was the best freaking housewife you know around, but I just didn't enjoy it. It felt like it wasn't the life that I wanted. And then my husband one day came home. We were both miserable living our daily lives, and we said something has to change, and in that something has to change the idea of building a protein bar came about. And I had no idea what I was doing. I had no idea how to build a business. All I knew was I was incredibly insecure, and I didn't know how to show up every day and actually execute on what the business needs. And so every day was a struggle of figuring out what habits do I need to adopt, what skill sets do I need?
Speaker 2: To improve on.
Speaker 3: What inadequacies do I need to stare nakedly at and admit so that I can improve on it. And that was such a deep dive from the exterior of the skill sets all the way to the interior intern of what belief systems do I have that are really holding me back? And so that journey was just it was very hard, very difficult, but allowed me to build skill sets that I can take into any avenue that I choose to. Now if I want to start a new business, I can take that into it. If I want to, you know, focus on my family. All of the skill sets that I have built have allowed me now to navigate anything that I really want to focus on, which is amazing.
Speaker 1: But I'm sure that is a process. And so you know, on this show, we always like to give people some practical tips. So people are listening to this and it's like, Lisa, that sounds great. I want that sort of confidence and that ability to walk in and navigate new some situations. What are some practical things people could start doing to increase their confidence.
Speaker 3: Yeah, this is so important because I completely agree. People may look at me and be like, oh my god, I want your confidence. But The truth is I had to build my confidence. It is like a muscle. If you say you want six pack abs, you have to go to the gym, you have to do crunches, you have to look at your diet. And so when you think about confidence, it is a skill set that you will build over time, and confidence ends up being the byproduct of taking action. So the question is how do you take action.
Speaker 2: To build the confidence? So this comes to you have to know what you're moving towards.
Speaker 3: What goal have you set for yourself? And it can't be a lot of us, including me, will go inwards emotional. I want to be happy. Happiness isn't a goal. Happiness is a state of being temporarily, So what is that goal. If you're looking to build a business, let's say what is the goal. So let's say, for instance, you're my goal is to build a YouTube channel that can reach one hundred thousand people within a year. Just say that's your goal. Okay, what are you doing every single day to work towards that goal?
Speaker 2: Number one?
Speaker 3: It is going to be do steps of how you're going to build that skill set. So if you've never been in front of the camera, you can understand that step Number one is you have to get comfortable in front of the camera. Then you take that one step and you make it into micro steps. The microstep is I get my iPhone out and I feel myself for a minute. Right, So I take big audacious goal, break it down into steps, and then break those down into microsteps. Those are the skill sets for you to then approach and take action. The second part is your emotions and your hormones are going to get in your way? So how do you make sure that your emotions and your hormones don't get in your way? And anyone that may be like, what do you mean by that, Lisa, Let's just take a certain scenario where I call it how do you become emotionally sober? So imagine if you've had do you drink? Have you ever had like cocktails?
Speaker 2: Laura?
Speaker 1: I may have had a cocktail at life, Okay.
Speaker 3: So now let's take a scenario where have you ever had a few more cocktails than maybe you should have? And then maybe you're a bit more jolly than normal. Maybe you kiss the bouncer on the way out of a club, right, Like, there are things that you're going to do that are slightly out of character, if you've had too many shots of vodka or alcohol, emotions are the same, You're going to act out of accordance, if you have too many failures that are going to rock you to your core, if you believe that you're not good enough. All of these things will have an effect of how you show up every single day. So now understanding hormones, emotions will impact how you show up for me, Now I go, how do I make sure that how I show up every day and how my hormones and my emotions are will serve the goal I'm trying to get to. So that's where you stated the goal, you stated the strategy, and then this is where you have to take a hard look at yourself and go, what are the things in my behavior, in my habits that hold me back. So let's say, for instance, some people are like, I just don't find there's an enough hours in the day to reach my goal. So look at your habits, look at your behavior, and maybe you realize you scroll on your phone for an hour in the morning. Maybe you realize that you uh mess about online and you go online shopping before you get to work. No judgment, no shame, does that help you move towards your goal. Yes or no, It has to be binary. If the answer is no, now you've identified something in your behavior and your world that actually is holding you back from your goal.
Speaker 2: That's the second step.
Speaker 3: After that, you then come up with a strategy of what you're going to do to bypass.
Speaker 2: Your normal habit.
Speaker 3: So if you wake up and you scroll, which is what I used to do, and it used to mess with my mind, I wasn't starting the day strong confident focus. I identified it and I said, what am I going to do differently? And this now comes to the fun part, which I love, is like, now I come up with strategies and a plan. Day one, I'm going to try switching off my phone and putting it in another room, and I'm going to go downstairs and I'm going to kiss my puppies. It has to be like that obvious of actions. So I'll try it for a few days and then I go back inwards and I'm like, how did that feel? Did I feel more motivated? Did I feel less motivated? Did I feel distracted? Did I feel focused?
Speaker 2: And if the.
Speaker 3: Answer is moving towards my goal? Oh my god, I actually feel more focused. Switching off my phone, leaving another room, kissing my puppies. I'm going to now do that the second day. I'm now going to do that the third day. Over time, you reinforce that behavior and then it becomes a habit.
Speaker 1: Absolutely absolutely, And after there it's just we're onto the one hundred thousand YouTube subscribers right after that. Right.
Speaker 3: But that's the thing is that now you focus, Now you show up. Now you get in front of that can get there, and now you've practiced enough to get to the point where you can now confidently put videos out every single day and then obviously focus on your YouTube channel.
Speaker 1: Absolutely. All right, Well, we're going to take a quick ad break and we will be right back. So I am back talking with Lisa Billu, who teaches people about radical confidence and how to show up in your life to achieve all your goals. So we were just talking there briefly about how people spend their mornings, and on this show, we love to talk about morning routines, you know, with the show called Before Breakfast, as you can imagine, we have a lot of people with intense morning routines. From what I understand, you're a go to the gym, in the morning kind of person. Although I just saw, and maybe you just posted this this week, that you were modifying your morning routine just slightly, so maybe you can talk about that.
Speaker 2: Absolutely.
Speaker 3: So the strategy that I just broke down is how I start to look at my routines, look at what I'm doing, and seeing if I'm moving towards my goal, but understanding that I am a human being who's always looking to grow and evolve, So the thing that worked for me last year, two years ago may not be the thing that's working for me now. So almost every quarter I do an assessment and an analysis my life and my habits and my strategies to see if they're still aligned with how I want to show up and what I'm trying to achieve. So recently, going back to the hormones of the emotions, I'm a female, I'm forty five years old. I'm going through perimenopause. I can't ignore that. I can't pretend I'm that twenty five year old that likes to wake up crush in the GMR like go, I'll go Go. I'm feeling a little differently now. So while my habits and my routines absolutely served me, That is what allowed me for ten years to keep going in business when I didn't have the confidence. That's what allowed me to keep going and take Quest Nutrition that started at zero and we went from zero to a billion dollar company in five years. That was part of it was intense focus of every single part of where you put your energy, what you focus on. So now going back to what I do now, what I did in my twenties, is it working for me? And what I realized was I went from the gym was motivating, the gym was actually filling my cup, to now I feel like it's a bird and I was going to the gym, I was lifting weights like I normally do, and I felt differently about it. So it was important for me to recognize it. Now none longer serves me, but I understand the importance of moving your body. So I'm like, I'm not just going to quit the gym. I need to modify it. What does that modification look like? So I wrote a couple of ideas. I was like, number one, I'm going to go cuddle my husband. But sometimes it's busy, sometimes in the middle of works. So that strategy didn't work because now it's dependent on him again, how do you be dependent on yourself? I realized that wasn't working, so I tried another struds, like what if I go and pet my puppies. So my idea was soften, bring in joy to my heart, allow myself the joy that then may motivate me to go out into the world and metaphorically crush it in the gym and in business.
Speaker 2: So I was like, let me try it.
Speaker 3: And so I go and I pet my puppies. I'm like, okay, I feel like I need to spend some more time with them. And I would just like let them walk and sniff, and I was like, this really fills my cup. Like weirdly, I never would have thought twenty years ago or ten years ago you would tell me to be soft in the mornings, but now it actually is serving me. So I've just adapted my morning routine. I take the puppies out first, I give them cuddles. I've nurtured my heart, and then I go to the gym and I freaking nurture my body.
Speaker 1: Awesome, and she really has. If anyone wants to watch her videos, I've seen her doing lots of push ups.
Speaker 2: Thank you.
Speaker 1: I am not quite I cannot do the non knee push up yet, but I'm working on it.
Speaker 3: So but that's again they yeah, like the goal, So it's a goal. What do you have to do every day to get to the goal? And are you willing to do it exactly?
Speaker 1: Exactly? Well, hopefully I am. But let's talk a little bit more about some of your other routines that you have, because obviously, you know you guys running a big business, this takes time. You've i'm sure had to learn to be incredibly productive given that we all have limited hours in the day. I wonder if you have any strategies that have been very helpful for you that you might share with though listeners.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Absolutely so.
Speaker 3: I think it was Steve Jobs that I very first heard this from years and years ago, but he said, you can only have a certain amount of decision making with clarity, and the more decisions you make, the more decision fatigued you get. In just taking that as fat I then looked at my life and I said, what can I systematize that literally makes me not have to think about it? So food, for instance, I have health is very important to me because for me, being able to nurture my body in order to bring the energy that I need to business. Food is very important. So I go, how can I systematize my healthy foods that I never get to the point where I'm hungry. I never get to the point where I'm eating bad food that doesn't serve my brain. And so I systematize my food, and that meant I got a I am very fortunate now to have a private chef that comes in and prepared, so I don't want to assume that everybody does. But before I was wealthy, before I had I was doing everything myself, and so that meant bulk cooking. And so every Sunday I would take the whole day and I would take chicken, breast and burger and whatever food vegetables, and I would bolt cook everything. I would then put everything in packages. I would put it in the freezer. And now every day I literally don't think about it. I don't make a decision on food. I don't make a decision of how I eat. When I eat, I set an alarm in my phone that reminds me to eat. I've got my food ready, And so you can see how that one thing is now one thing less I think about. So that's one big thing that I do in my daily life. Second of what I just look at where I'm wasting my time and it has to be Unfortunately, when you're building a business, sometimes you do have to be cutthroat in your time, and that means I have to be very honest about where my energy and time should go, and with grace and politeness.
Speaker 2: I'm always trying to.
Speaker 3: Make sure that people don't feel ever dismissed or anything like that. But sometimes when you're running a business, people will come to you for the smallest questions, and it's questions they can solve themselves. And so I have learned to empower my team to answer their own questions. I'm always here for them, but now I don't get nitpicked every two seconds on a thousand questions. Lastly, the very thing that I think is the most important thing is making sure you have time for yourself every Saturday. And this was because my health got so bad. I spent ten years of quest nutrition, not paying attention to my health or my body on my life. That ended up being disastrous for me. So now I go, how do I make sure I'm always giving myself moments of peace so that I can come back and crush it in business, and I got so much pushback. But every Saturday, without fail, I switched my phone off.
Speaker 2: You cannot reach me.
Speaker 3: I am very unless it's the fires. I was on social media for the fires. Unless it's something urgent, I don't answer anything. I told my family if you text me, I'm not gonna answer. If there's an emergency, I'm not gonna answer. And the amount of pushback I had, and so I said, okay, what's the pushback? But Lisa, what if we need to reach you? That was one of cool ping my husband. The follow up thing was what if someone doesn't have your husband's phone number? My answer is, then I'm sorry. You are not close enough to me to warrant disturbing my self care time. And that's a boundary I put in. I was religious on I stuck to and over time people started to respect it because they started to realize how important it was for me to be able to show up. So without that, you can't show up for other people.
Speaker 1: I love that. Yeah, if you're not, if I don't know you well enough to give you my husband's number, then probably you don't have an emergency.
Speaker 2: I need to hear about it.
Speaker 1: Exactly on Saturday, So what are you doing with that time?
Speaker 2: Then?
Speaker 1: On Saturday, I'd love to hear what the self care and day looks like for you.
Speaker 2: Absolutely so.
Speaker 3: Me and my husband has been together for almost twenty five years. We've built multiple companies together. I met him when I was twenty one, and so self care time really is number one. Me and my husband every Saturday morning we sit down and we say something called selfish desires. So selfish desires means you just tell me exactly what you want to do. You're not thinking about my emotions, you're not thinking about your wife, you're not thinking about I'm not thinking about him. What do you actually want to do? And we lay out everything we want to do on a Saturday. And I lay out everything I want to do on a Saturday. So I like to do the sauna. I like to do cold plunging.
Speaker 2: I like to draw. I'm an artist. I like to draw.
Speaker 3: I'm I'm a purist if you will, So I like paper and pen sorry, paper and pencil, And I lay out this is all I want to do. And my husband's like, great, I don't want to do the hot tub and the sauna and cold plunch because that sounds like work.
Speaker 2: So while you do that, I'm gonna go play video games. Amazing. Okay, what else are we going to do? I really want to draw. Great.
Speaker 3: While I'm drawing, he's gonna go and fill in the gap. And then at two pm, Babe, are you core? I really want to spend time with your honors to communicate and nurture our relationship.
Speaker 2: So how do you feel about two o'clock?
Speaker 3: We come together and we have lunch together, and then we watch a movie and then we communicate and.
Speaker 2: We discuss it, and that way we both get what we want. We both don't.
Speaker 3: Feel like we're sacrificing all the time for the other person, and we're able to show up that is right for us, because my way of showing up isn't going to be the same way as my husband. So by someday, you better believe we're in great moods because we've connected and we've had that self care time.
Speaker 1: I love it. I love it all right. Well, we're going to take one more quick act break and then I will be back with more from Lisa. So I am back with Lisa Billu. She's been talking all things about how she grew in confidence as she was building a business her self. Care Saturdays, which I love, and I'm going to see what I can, you know, make fit in my life. It's we I think we have a slightly different life, but it's okay, it's all good.
Speaker 2: And can I actually just say something not?
Speaker 3: Actually, that's the important thing is you have to adapt this to the life that you have and the life you want. So if you're a parent, if you have so many things to do, I understand the whole days is are going to be possible. But what is possible is an hour.
Speaker 1: An hour is definitely possible. And that's I love that because I think a lot of people think, well, you know, I couldn't do anything like But there's a huge difference between maybe not as much as some people are less than others and none and none is usually not the answer. None is usually not the answer. So you can find some time where we can figure out exactly what we want to do. Yeah, So I wonder if you can talk a little bit about community and building a supportive community around you. You know, you talked a little bit about setting boundaries with people, which is awesome, but I'm curious about bringing people into your life or nurturing the relationships that you do have in order to make sure that those people can help you as you're growing in your confidence journey.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, So back in the day, there wasn't really the thing is community, So it was more about an audience, right, the person speaks, the audience listeners. We're in a different world now, so understanding what people need and then thinking is like what is important to you? So for me, growing up, I was actually bullied and teased by women. I was one of my most horrific stories as a child was I was teased and bullied and tricks and everyone played this big game on me and tricks and surprised me, and it was all girls. And so growing up I felt like women with a competition, women with the things, the people you couldn't trust. In my heard, I was like, this doesn't make sense to me just because of my bad experience as a child.
Speaker 2: I love women.
Speaker 3: I love engaging women, I love thinking, hearing women's thoughts, hearing how women process things like I really do resonate and I love supporting women, and so why why am I backing off? So that was really the first thing of like I'm going to be the person to be the calling card for all women that doesn't feel safe, that doesn't feel like they've got you know, other women.
Speaker 2: Have their backs.
Speaker 3: I'm going to be that person and I'm going to show up every single day being everyone's cheerleader. I want you to feel like I'm your homie, that I've got my pomponds, that I'm cheering you on, like because that's what I want, right, So it's kind of like you give someone almost the gift that you're looking for. So that was really where I started from. Then it became the community of like what are people struggling with? Because my problems, the things I'm struggling with, isn't necessarily going to be the things that you're struggling with. So as you start to listen and engage and communicate with your community, you start to hear the almost like what the majority of people are struggling with now, Just like anything, if you're building a business, you can't please everybody and you can't make everybody happy. So that's where I go, Okay, what are the messages I'm going to listen to? What are the problems I'm going to listen to, And I'm going to really lean in now, just like me, I don't want someone to look like they're perfect, because then I think they're undertainable. I want to see that all the mess there is somebody's successful failure because it's in the mess that makes that person. And so if I really believe that, how can I not show up to do that? And so that then became the next thing of like, I'm just going to be my true self. I'm going to show walts and all the crazy, the messes, the failures like because that is the gem. So in doing that, that ends up building a community where they're like, wow, you're just so real, And the truth is like, I don't know how else to be because I wouldn't want to look at anyone that was fake. That just doesn't set women up for success. So now I've bought this community of amazing women that everyone has each other's backs, and I'm in the comments on my YouTube channel, and if someone is rude or dismissive to somebody else, I will jump in immediately and I'll be like, look, you are entitled to opinion, but you are not entitled to being here and verbally abusing or emotionally abusing people. If that's what you're looking for. I have zero judgment and on what you want, but this isn't the place. Please unsubscribe because I would rather have a smaller community that has each other's backs than a bigger community where now everybody is bitching and gossiping. So I have an all star. I know what I'm trying to achieve, and the community is the voice and the results of are you achieving that?
Speaker 2: Yes or no?
Speaker 1: I love it and that is why people love watching Lisa online. She is real and I love the being there in the comments section because I think a lot of people don't do that, so it's really great.
Speaker 3: And I understand if you're getting backlash and you're getting hate, it's like you do it to protect your self esteem. The problem is, I think sometimes when people are giving constructive feedback, if you're not reading it, then you don't hear how you can actually get better. And so for me, I'm always trying to get better, and so to not listen to my community doesn't help me with my.
Speaker 1: Goal wouldn't make sense. So, Lisa, what is something you have done recently to take a day from great to arson?
Speaker 2: Ooh?
Speaker 3: I use music and food recently as a way to equalize when I am feeling maybe emotionally overwhelmed or just overwhelmed from business ideas and strategies and pressure. So number one is music that is an immediate change of state for me. So if I'm feeling sad, I go, you can't stay here, doesn't serve your business? What song you're going to put on? I have a playlist that is my go to. And recently I'm now reading up more and more about what types of food help with your hormones as a woman. So, for instance, I was feeling I wasn't motivated, right, I even said that earlier, like I feel like that was weird, like in the morning, as I'm not motivated anymore? Why understanding hormones? I realize my progesterone has been dropping. So I didn't do these hormone tests. My progesterone dropped, all right, How am I going to fix it? Food actually helps with your hormones. And I know this probably wasn't the answer you're expecting, but this is the truth. I'm not gonna lie to you. So now I go, what was going to build my progesterone? Walnuts, pineapples, So I go, cool, I'm going to eat walnuts and pineapples, and so it's so empowering, Like it's so exciting and empowering to go. My body's changing, my hormones are changing. I need something different. What am I going to eat? And so in real time, I start to feel like I'm nurturing my body. Obviously that takes time. So the immediate thing is music exactly.
Speaker 1: I love it. I love it. Well, maybe I need to check out the walnuts and pineapple thing, because I believe we are at the same age. I got some books for you to read exactly exactly, So, Lisa, what are you looking forward to these days?
Speaker 3: So I have been working for five years now on a comic book for young girls. I'm obsessed with wonder Woman. Wonder Woman was the first symbol that allowed me in my adulthood to realize as a woman, I can embody empowerment, I can body bad arsery, and so I always wear a Wonder Woman necklace around my neck because mirroring is very important.
Speaker 2: I understand mirroring and psychology.
Speaker 3: So every time, if I'm on the zoom, if I see myself, I see the logo. If I look at myself in the mirror, I see the logo. So I took them and I was like, how do we really help younger generation, the young girls out there, so that they don't have to spend the next twenty years unwiring all the negative mindset and the insecurities.
Speaker 2: That I've had to in my life.
Speaker 3: And it really is if you get them in the age of imprint, you can actually influence them forever. Age of imprint is between eleven and fifteen. What do eleven fifteen year olds care about? What's happening in culture? Music, television shows, animation, comic books, what's online cool. I can't impact your parents, who your parents are. I can't impact what school you go to, but you better believe maybe I can impact what you listen to.
Speaker 2: Or what you watch.
Speaker 3: So I have been working on a comic book for young girls called Wish Academy. Women Have Impact superhero where you basically it's supposed to be this underlying motivation of how a young girl can build her confidence, and it's Harry Potter meets mean girls. So it's superhero story in a high school for girls. And because I've been working on it for so long and it's part of my mission, I'm, you know, kind of where I started. Watch your goal, watch your strategy.
Speaker 2: How are you getting there?
Speaker 3: I haven't given up on my purpose for young girls, and so even if it's taken me five years, how do I sustain that energy to keep going to get to my goal? It is everything I've just told you. If I didn't do all that, I would have stopped a long time ago. But it's finally coming together. I've got it's finally like the final issues are finally being developed, and so being able to show up and help those fourteen year old girls is like a dream come true for me.
Speaker 2: So that's what's coming up. Awesome. Well, that is wonderful.
Speaker 1: Well, Lisa, thank you so much for joining us today. Be sure to check out Lisa with all her work with Impact Theory and Women of Impact. Thank you for everyone who's been listening. If you have feedback on this or any other episode, you can reach me at Laura at Laura vandercam dot com. And in the meantime, this is Laura.
Speaker 2: Thanks for listening.
Speaker 1: Here's to making the most of our time. Thanks for listening to Before Breakfast. If you've got questions, ideas, or feedback, you can reach me at Laura at Laura vandercam dot com. Before Breakfast is a production of iHeartMedia. For more podcasts from iHeartMedia, please visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.