Speaker 1: Hi.
Speaker 2: I'm Kristin Davis, and I want to know are you a Charlotte? All right, Hi, Hi everyone, welcome back to Are You a Charlotte? We are going to do a whole episode of fan questions. You guys have been amazing and have written in some really, really good questions. So my incredible and handsome producer Easton is going to read the questions to me.
Speaker 1: That's what you told me to say, you guys.
Speaker 2: No, I'm paraphrasing, but anyway, he is handsome and he's incredible and super smart, I will add.
Speaker 1: So he's here to read the questions.
Speaker 2: And these were questions that you guys wrote in on Instagram and I really appreciate it because part of why I did this podcast was so that I could kind of talk to you guys and hear your thoughts.
Speaker 1: And here are questions, and I love to hear them. So thank you.
Speaker 3: Thank you for that lovely introduction. Kristin. Well, I'm lushing over here, but let's get to the Red Hawk questions. Okay, we'll start with this one. Who is your favorite boyfriend who only appeared in one episode and wish he could have appeared more?
Speaker 2: I mean, first of all, I'm sure there's so many, right, but the one that popped immediately.
Speaker 1: Into my mind is Dan Futterman.
Speaker 2: Who plays a guy that we kind of horribly called metrosexual at the time. I am sure that that is not cool anymore. But there's a mice that runs through his kitchen and he squeals and jumps on a chair and Charlotte has to deal with it. And I just love Danny Futterman so much. He's so smart. He's a writer now. I don't know if he's still acting, but he's definitely writing. And he's an incredible guy. And we had the best, incredible, incredible time together. He was just a really great collaborator. But there have been so many incredible actors on our show. It's hard to choose. It's hard to choose, but that's my first thought.
Speaker 3: Besides Harry, who do you think is the best match for Charlotte.
Speaker 2: I mean, again, this is terrible what I'm about to say, but I'm gonna say Trey. I mean, it's so sad. I know, it's so sad that I even say that, but it's for me, you know, playing the part of Charlotte obviously for so long. It's really hard to separate my own feelings from Charlotte's experience. So I loved working with Kyle MacLaughlin so incredibly much. Kyle was only supposed to be on for like five episodes, I want to say, which obviously we all really just fell mal in love with him and he had to stay and then it went in so many different crazy ways. But I just remember the joy of being with him, the fun of working We just it was a great energy and I loved I guess I love that Charlotte got what she want in so many ways. Obviously she didn't get what she want in terms of the entire package, and this is the learning curve for Charlotte. So I did love the storyline overall, even the hard parts, because I felt like, yes, it's perfect that someone who is so goal obsessed and so focused on the prize what she perceives to be the prize, which was the wedding, the fantastic wedding, the handsome husband, you know, all everything looking perfect on the outside, and then it wasn't perfect on the inside. That was so brilliant of Michael Patrick to come up with it, and it was so amazing to get to play out that storyline, and I thought it was so incredibly relatable and a really great way for her storyline to go. So I just loved the whole thing, even though obviously it was very difficult, but I still have just such a I only have a wonderful memory.
Speaker 3: Of Kyle, but he seems like the coolest guy in the world, and.
Speaker 2: He is, let me tell you he is, but he's also goofy and silly and I just saw him on Saturday night and it was really fun. And I don't even know if I should tell you everything that we talked about, but there's another question coming out, just jump ahead to it. And it was, you know, would Trey and Charlotte ever run into each other on and just like that? And Michael Patrick has this thing where he doesn't like us to talk about ideas for stories that didn't happen. But I'm just going to tell you guys that there was an idea that Trey slash Kyle would come on and dress like that, and then it didn't happen, and so Kyle and I had to talk about it because I was kind of mad at him.
Speaker 1: I said, why didn't you come on?
Speaker 2: We wanted you to come on, and he said, I just wanted it to be amazing, meaning that it had a kind of almost a sad note.
Speaker 1: I think I'm not saying too much. I hope Michael's not going to be mad at me. There's a bit of a sad note.
Speaker 2: But it had this incredible lead up to me seeing Trey again. And the thing that I love the most about this particular episode that did not happen is that Charlotte tells the friends that she has not communicated at all with Trey, which is kind of shocking in a way. But I've never been married, and I've certainly never been divorced, so I don't really know how that works.
Speaker 1: Do you communicate, do you not communicate? Is it cool to be friends? Is it not cool to be friends?
Speaker 2: I mean, for Charlotte, she's obviously so happy with Harry. I don't think it would be a the threat to Harry for her to communicate with Trey because of the problems with that relationship also right, But for whatever reason, Charlotte tells the friends and just like that that she has not communicated in any way with Trey this whole time, and she has kind of an unfinished feeling about that. Relationship and she really wants to see him and I Kristin also feel that way. So I'm hoping that we can kind of revisit a maybe they run into each other, you know, just at an event or at a restaurant or something like that.
Speaker 1: I think it would be so amazing to have Kyle back on.
Speaker 2: And I did give him a hard time the other day, and then he explained his point of view, and I did understand it, Like when you have played such a wonderful part in the past that people have such a great memory of, and it was so special as a work experience, you know, you want it to be you want it to kind of stay in this kind of glorious place. And I think he just didn't want there to be kind of a sad note to the end. So I get that. I get that, and I hope I didn't say too much. Michael Patrick, Sorry, but I enjoy seeing him.
Speaker 1: I always enjoy seeing him.
Speaker 3: Well, now we're going to talk about the other ladies here. Are you Team Big or Team Aiden for Carrie.
Speaker 2: Well, rewatching is just giving me a whole different perspective. I was always Team Big. Sorry, Yes, yes, I was Team Big because Charlotte was team Big. And this is the kind of the problem with playing a part for thirty years or whatever it is twenty seven years, is that you don't separate out your own thoughts all the time. Right, So in the beginning, I was team Big, and I didn't really doubt it, you know. I just thought, like, yes, I get that, because they have this incredible chemistry in life and on screen. And I thought the writing was so good. Now when I'm looking back on it, I'm like, no, no, no, why is he not nicer to her and more emotionally present and she deserves more than this.
Speaker 1: This is what I think when I'm watching it now.
Speaker 2: Aiden, on the other hand, we haven't gotten back to that part of the show where I'm going to rewatch that I might change my mind. But the way that I remember Aiden was that he was much more emotionally present and kind of like more warm and fuzzy, I don't know how to put it, and more earthy, you know, he makes furniture, right like. I love that side. Now, I also know that there were some stylistic problems, like the part that really stands out to.
Speaker 1: Me that I totally agreed with at.
Speaker 2: The time, was that he gets her this engagement ring that is wrong, wrong, and many times wrong for her? And why isn't he paying better attention? Why doesn't he know that a gold pear shaped diamond.
Speaker 1: Is the wrong engagement ring for Carrie?
Speaker 2: That is one question that I have and I'm interested to see when I rewatch it.
Speaker 3: We all love Harry. Did you know that he was going to be the one for Charlotte when he was introduced? Yes?
Speaker 1: I did?
Speaker 3: I did.
Speaker 2: I mean, look now when you say the one, like, did I know in my mind that we were going to get to make two films and then do another show and.
Speaker 1: Just like that?
Speaker 2: No, he never, ever, ever, ever would have entered my mind. But I did know from Michael. Michael is very wonderfully collaborative with the actors, and so for all four of us, before we started a season, we would have a lunch with Michael where he would tell you everything that was going to happen. He would pitch the season to you, and you would mostly for me, go.
Speaker 1: Like okay, okay, okay, okay, that's exciting, okay.
Speaker 2: And then sometimes if you had a question, you'd be like, but why no, you know, and he'd have a reason, and you'd kind of discuss and it wasn't always written in stone. For instance, at one point, the idea was that Miranda and Charlotte would have babies around the same time, and the idea was that we would then contrast the two parenting styles from Miranda and Charlotte, who are obviously very different. And I was very excited about that because that's what Charlotte wanted, right, So I was like, Oh, thank God, she's going to get what she wants.
Speaker 1: It's going to be wonderful. Then, of course it didn't happen.
Speaker 2: And the reason it didn't happen is that at a certain point in the season, Michael called me and he said, krist and I, I've got to tell you Charlotte is not going to get to have a baby.
Speaker 1: And I said, what what, why? What do you mean? I'm so upset And he said, you know, I just don't have enough storylines to do both. It's just too hard.
Speaker 2: Because Michael wasn't a parent at that point. I don't think any of our female writers were parents yet they are now a lot of them, some of them not, you know, but we needed at that point. We also had a rule that and we still have this rule that all of the storylines had to be either a storyline that the writer went through themselves, or that was one degree separated from the writer, so they had a friend who went through it.
Speaker 1: It was never us.
Speaker 2: Everyone thought it was our storylines. No, no, no, that would be very weird. It was our writers and people that they know. They're very close friends. So there just weren't enough parents in the group at that point to have enough storylines to write two different, contrasting mothering storylines. And it was just too far, i think, separated from Michael's own life and the women who were writing the show at that time. And we can ask Janny Bicks about this when she comes. It was too different from their lives for them to write about.
Speaker 1: And I was so crushed, so crushed. But then in the way that it played out in terms of Miranda getting pregnant by mistake, deciding to have the baby with Steve, Charlotte not being able to get pregnant with her super adorable husband, that was the whole purpose of getting married. It really worked out so perfectly.
Speaker 2: It was difficult to play that and I didn't really, even at that point in life, probably have a really true understanding of what not being able to get pregnant is, Like, I think I had a few friends that were struggling with that at that point, but not the many, many, many.
Speaker 1: Friends who have struggled over the years.
Speaker 2: But I think I had some sense of it, and I really enjoyed the writing, so it worked out great.
Speaker 1: I don't know if I answered your question though, Harry.
Speaker 2: So then when we got Harry after that not being able to get pregnant, which was obviously a curveball in that season, And I did know the general plan that Michael had that it was going to be somebody who didn't look like what Charlotte wanted. I didn't know what that meant or you know that he was going to be. I think he was described as a bull in a china shop at at one point, Like, you know, just his general demeanor was different, you know all of those things. And I don't know if Evan and I have talked about this publicly, but there was this other.
Speaker 1: Ruination just feel terrible. I'm not going to say his name.
Speaker 2: There's this other actor who auditioned also, So what would happen is they would have a character, they would put out a casting notice with like the general you know, notes about the character, and then when it got down to two or three guys, we would get to read with them so that we would get to have a vote, and also they would be able to see us together to know if they thought that the chemistry worked or whatnot. So there was this other actor that Michael had seen in a play and he just kept raving about this guy like on and on and on and on, and I think that was really who he had in mind, right, But they had to show me someone else.
Speaker 1: So Evan was the someone else, so I could I go. And it is the most.
Speaker 2: Horrific thing to be an actor in a callback type you know, final callback type situation for another actor, because you just are dying for that person, you know, You're just like for me, I just want to take care of them so bad. I'm trying to be friendly and nice because sometimes it's just really intimidating. And you know, everyone in our world takes everything very seriously.
Speaker 1: I think that's clear. So it's like a lot of pressure.
Speaker 2: Like you know, it's not like casual, you know, it's not like a loose room to walk into, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: It's like pretty serious. So I'd be out in the waiting room like, are you guys okay? Do you need anything? You know, just dying?
Speaker 2: Like if Sir Jessica was reading with guys, I would go to see those guys so that I could be like, are you guys okay?
Speaker 1: What's happening.
Speaker 2: I usually often knew people as well, because I know a lot of actors, so I would know usually people I had never met Evan. I'd never met the other guy either that I'm not gonna name. And the thing that was amazing about Evan is that he just made some choices.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: He brought in a bag with a big, big, big muffin in it and in and this I think we taped it, but I mean it was in the room, right.
Speaker 1: He just took this muffin out of.
Speaker 2: This bag and just stuffed it in his mouth.
Speaker 1: That I was just like him.
Speaker 2: So I feel bad about that other actor, but obviously it was Evan, So you know it worked out well.
Speaker 3: You know, Truo Off conquers all A lot A lot of fans had questions about storylines. Yeah, in your opinion, to you, what was the most shocking storyline that you can remember.
Speaker 1: Of any character.
Speaker 3: Yeah, oohans in the city that you lived in, Sex and the city.
Speaker 1: Gosh, shocking, the most shocking, I don't know. I don't know, you guys, what was the most shocking. I can't think any thoughts, any ideas. The things that are really shocking I tend to forget about. Well, hold on, now, I'm.
Speaker 2: Thinking if I get to talk about all the shows.
Speaker 1: And the movies.
Speaker 2: Yes, the most shocking thing was Big stand and carry up at the winning.
Speaker 1: That was really really bad. Okay, now, I know we wouldn't have had a movie without it. I get that.
Speaker 2: I totally get that, and thank god the movie was you know, much seen and beloved and were so grateful for that because it was a really big risk. But that was really bad, Okay, really really bad. And I can't believe she forgave him. Just can't believe it.
Speaker 1: Still.
Speaker 3: Okay, next, what most embarrassing storyline? Does anything stand out to you there?
Speaker 1: Oh, I'm sure.
Speaker 2: I mean in the show, this is going to say ridiculous, But in the show.
Speaker 1: This is so silly and probably like petty.
Speaker 2: But there was a storyline with Evan and I, Harry and I where we go out on Valentine's Day and eat a bunch of French cheese and have like digestive problems and lay on the floor in T shirts.
Speaker 1: And I just.
Speaker 2: Hated the storyline so much. And it was our writers, Julian and Alisa Horan and just like that.
Speaker 1: And I went to them and I was like, please, do we have to do why?
Speaker 2: And they were like, because it's so funny, and I think, I feel I don't know for sure, but I think it was based on someone had gone to France and this had happened to them, because you know, they have like so many decadent cheeses that we're not used to here.
Speaker 1: But I didn't like that.
Speaker 2: I didn't want to lay on the floor in the bathroom with Evan and like staying T shirts ick. Now, then that is second to what Michael put me through in Mexico with the water, which I'm not even going to go into detail because everyone knows, and I mean, honestly, I still have to talk about it in interviews and I'm like, thank you, Michael Patrick King for doing this to me.
Speaker 3: Now we know Charlotte has her rules, which rule from the series. Do you think was too strict?
Speaker 2: I think Charlotte's rules are probably all too strict, And I say, this is a mom who has a lot of rules, right, So I think, Charlotte, you know, it's like her, what's the saying like, don't let perfection be the enemy of something?
Speaker 1: See, I don't even remember the saying. This is clearly my issue.
Speaker 3: Also, don't let perfection be the enemy of good?
Speaker 1: Yes, don't let perfection be the enemy of good? This is a good Charlotte needs this.
Speaker 2: Like scrawled on her wall really big, or maybe on her mirror, because you know, the striving for perfection at all times is hard on people, right, like the people around her, her kids, also herself.
Speaker 1: So I think all of that.
Speaker 2: And in the beginning, it's all about out this you know, theoretical husband that she's trying to find, and she brings the book about the rules and this book about how to get a husband in six months or something bizarre. And I had to read this book and like hold it and kind of thump it, like, you know, this book that was really challenging for me personally because I obviously do not feel that way, and I also feel like it's just slightly insane. But obviously, sometimes your character is going to do something insane that you're playing and you have to find a way.
Speaker 1: To do it.
Speaker 2: I would say probably that book moment, which I think is coming soon in season one or maybe season two, that might have been the most extreme time that she didactically was following an actual literal book, you know, in her life, which is bizarre.
Speaker 3: If Charlotte could give advice to her younger self, what would she say, Well, along.
Speaker 2: These same lines, I think that the advice Charlotte would say to her younger self is relax a little bit, because it's all going to work out. It's all going to be amazing, and it might not be exactly how you think it's gonna look, but it's all gonna be so great. And don't mind that your friends roll their eyes so much at you, because they're all gonna be fine too, and they really love you.
Speaker 3: It's great advice.
Speaker 1: Thank you.
Speaker 3: I'm so curious about how you got filming in just like that. Now, how do you deal with like crowd control when you guys are filming outside on the streets of New York? How does that work?
Speaker 1: You know, it depends on the day and the situation. It's very interesting, like We're always so amazed when people come out. Sometimes it's so hot.
Speaker 2: So Jessica and I did a walk and talk in the village this summer. It was at least one hundred degrees and there were so many.
Speaker 1: People crammed on this little block. We had quite a big.
Speaker 2: Setup, like with cranes and lights and so many different things, and they were so great, Like if we asked them, like please be quiet during rolling, everyone's very quiet.
Speaker 1: It's amazing.
Speaker 2: So you've got regular street sounds, but you don't want a crowd sound, right, because that would make us unable to film. So I think everyone just really gets committed to, you know, making the scene work, which is so adorable and really like incredibly sweet. The first time we went back to do and just like that, it was also very hot that summer, and I remember being with Mario and Alexa down in this basement.
Speaker 1: Of the Hot Fellas.
Speaker 2: It was not the Hot Fellas that we have now, but that the original Hot Fellaw's kitchen that he borrowed, and it was also like one hundred something degrees. It was late into the night, two or three am. There's just this huge crowd outside. We were downtown somewhere.
Speaker 1: And Alexa, who is eleven at the time, was like, why are all those people out there?
Speaker 2: Shouldn't really fully grasp the what had happened before, and just like that, and we.
Speaker 1: Would try to explain it, she'd just be like, oh, well, I had never really heard of it. We'd be like, that's okay, you're eleven, it's okay.
Speaker 2: But it's just so sweet to us that people want to come, and everyone's always been incredibly helpful. Occasionally it's weird if they're filming us while we're filming, because we don't want to give away storylines, but people are usually very polite if we ask them, don't film right now.
Speaker 1: They're cool. People are amazing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean that's another question, is like, if you're you're filming stuff obviously no one's going to see for months, how do you ever film like fake stuff to see? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I think everyone knows what I'm talking about. We definitely filmed on at least two occasions I can think of, like decoy scenes.
Speaker 1: I was not involved in any of the decoy scenes, and at this point, I don't know.
Speaker 2: I think Michael Patrick has started to write the important scenes having them inside which is really helpful. But we have films some decoy scenes. I think everyone kind of knew that they were. You know, we didn't really totally pull it off, I don't think, But that's okay. I think the thing for us that's hard is like, we love the fans, but we also really want people to be able to experience the show for the first time, right to see the storylines for the first time, not to have everything already rehashed on social.
Speaker 1: Media before it's even actually happened.
Speaker 2: And sometimes that's frustrating, like people will say, like why are they all wearing this? Or why is this character wearing this? And there is a reason, but we can't tell you the reason because we want you to enjoy the storyline when we do it, you know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, Is there a character that you think left Sex and the City too early that you would like to see return?
Speaker 2: And just like that, well, as we mentioned Kyle McGlocklin, I mean, I don't know if you'd left too early because that was how the storyline needed to go at the time, but we would love to have him back. I think I would, and I'm pretty sure Michael Patrick would. I mean, we've had so many incredible people and I never want anyone to ever leave, you know, But we don't have enough time on screen. Really, I'll tell you who we have on And just like that, which was so much fun was Patty Lapone. The Pone is coming.
Speaker 1: It's so exciting. I mean, so many people though, so many people.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: We had.
Speaker 2: Andy you know, Cohen on way back in a tiny little roll and then I think we had him come back briefly, but I think he should come back more.
Speaker 1: That'd be fun.
Speaker 3: So excited about that. Now, looking back on your memories of Sex and the City, is there one day on set that you wish you could, like magically transport back to Gosh?
Speaker 2: I mean probably so many really, Like I remember one time.
Speaker 1: I don't know where we were.
Speaker 2: We were downtown, I think at a shoe store, and it was hot and it was late and we were just laughing. I think we'd all fallen asleep on the set. Usually we would go back to our trailers, but sometimes it's logistically hard to go back to our trailers. But I just remember laughing hysterically, and I used to have this whole ritual that I would do that.
Speaker 1: I think Sarah Jusca's talked about where I.
Speaker 2: Would wait and to like, you're just at the end of your rope and you're so tired and you don't have energy.
Speaker 1: And I would have my diet coke.
Speaker 2: And I don't drink Dick Coke anymore, but at the time, I still drink Die coke. And I would get my diet coke and I would wrap it in paper towel so that they didn't drip on my clothes. And I would also, if we were really doing this as a group, we would get McDonald's French fries and we would eat them together and it would be incredible, because normally I'd try to be healthier than that, but it would be so good and it would be something that we would look forward to at say like two am, three am. I also remember so many fun nights.
Speaker 1: Where we would work till like maybe.
Speaker 2: Six or seven whenever the sun rose on Saturday morning, and a lot of us would be going out to the Hampton's cast and crew, and so we were obviously we've been up all night and we were so tired. We would do like a caravan and I would usually ride with Sarah Jessica and we would just like drop people off in whichever Hampton's they were in and make sure that they got there safely because we were also tired.
Speaker 1: And that was really really fun.
Speaker 2: And sometimes we'd get out get something at a store, like you know, seven to eleven and like switch cars.
Speaker 1: It was really really fun. I remember things like that.
Speaker 2: I mean so many things, but I mean also, we had such an incredible time in Morocco for the second movie.
Speaker 1: Oh god, I would go back.
Speaker 2: There on a second anyway. So many, so many it's hard to even think of. Also, it's the Central Park. So many incredible times shooting in Central Park when it was beautiful, also cold. But I remember one time Cynthia and Sarah and I are walking down the promenade, which is one of my all time favorite parts of the park, and I'm wearing my full Berbery raincoat, which I still have in my closet, and I think there's an umbrella involved. And it was possibly first or second season. It was just so magical to get the film in Central Park.
Speaker 3: Truly magical, isn't it?
Speaker 2: Uh?
Speaker 3: Do you do you remember how did it feel when you finished filming Season six?
Speaker 1: Oh? I remember it because there's pictures of it too.
Speaker 2: It was horrible because we really I don't know actually now that I'm thinking of it, I don't know if we really thought it was the end or not.
Speaker 1: But let me tell you this.
Speaker 2: We cried and cried and cried and cried, and Sarah Jessica Parker cried and Sara Juska is not a crier.
Speaker 1: I don't know if you're aware of this, because.
Speaker 2: At that point, I think we believed there was going to be a film. We hoped there was going to be a film, but it hadn't been greenlit, so it was kind of this unknown thing of like, can we move to this next phase that we really really wanted to move to and we believed we were going to move to, but at the same time, you don't really know, so it could actually be the end, which was just impossible to actually believe.
Speaker 1: Like I was just like, why why are we ending?
Speaker 2: And I knew I know intellectually why, and I understand intellectually why, but it just didn't personally make sense for me. Like for me, I never wanted it to end, as I never do now, right, but like back then especially, I just felt like this is so dumb. People were just being so dumb. We have this incredible thing.
Speaker 1: Why are we doing this? No? Sorry if I just deafened everyone, but obviously it worked out. It worked out fine.
Speaker 2: But like, we cried and cried, and there was a scene in that final episode where Charlotte is supposed to cry because she believes Carrie's moving to Paris, and I had to cry for the entire day and I did it, and it was good. At the beginning, I was like, yes, I need to cry because also we were ending the show. But even then, by then, by the time that we actually had our final day of filming, I think I was somewhat depleted of tears because of the filming day of crying, but Sir Jusica was not depleted of tears.
Speaker 1: So when she cries, I cry.
Speaker 3: Basically, we have time for one more question here, Okay, do you have a favorite Charlotte quote?
Speaker 1: Wow, a question I don't know the answer to.
Speaker 2: Honestly, I have no idea, because you know what's funny is like, I'm not objective.
Speaker 1: I don't remember this stuff. I said.
Speaker 2: That's why rewatching is so fascinating. I don't remember hardly anything that I say. I remember experiences of filming or maybe what the others said or like, I have visual memory, but I don't really remember words as well.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't know. Everyone should write in and tell me what they liked that I said. I don't know. I don't know. You guys, you tell me.
Speaker 3: Okay, this was so much fun. Thank you for answering these questions.
Speaker 1: Thanks thank you for fans asking them. We love it. We'll do more of it, so you guys write in. Fine,