Speaker 1: Wind Down with Janet Kramer and I'm Heeart Radio Podcast.
Speaker 2: Because you guys love the new format so much. Sometimes we get thrown a guest, and you know, we love we love the format. We love getting all the comments that you guys love it so much. So when we get an awesome a list guest, we're going to give you a little bonus episode. So that is what this is. Girls, are you so excited? I'm actually over.
Speaker 3: That, I say, Kristin's super excited. I'm sure.
Speaker 2: So We've got Eliza Schlessinger on. She is a stand up comedian and she has a new special out called a Different Animal on Amazon Prime. And I'm really excited to talk to her because I have I have a few things I kind of want to bring up about female comedians.
Speaker 4: Probably similar to the things I'd like to bring up.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And because if I'm honest, I love I love I don't know why, but I love watching the male comedians more.
Speaker 3: I'm honest, I don't watch stand up comedy at all.
Speaker 4: Oh really, why you don't? Thing? It's funny. I took you to Sebastian.
Speaker 1: I did, and I loved to Sebastian. But I'm not going to watch anything on TV.
Speaker 3: Sounded so appropriate. That was great, that was fun. I will go if someone says let's go. Yeah, but no, I don't want it at all.
Speaker 5: Oh, I know me.
Speaker 3: I don't like comedies. I like drama like.
Speaker 2: I love watching comedy shows specials. I love it. I struggle.
Speaker 4: I don't think a lot of them are funny.
Speaker 3: You knows, that's more a man thing. Like women. I feel like, don't watch as much stand up comedy.
Speaker 4: We should ask ask an expert.
Speaker 2: I just watched this one, you guys, he's so funny. It's this Scottish comedian. Alan's obsessed with him. I had to put subtitles on understand. It was like intense. I tried to DM him just because he's like a really I mean, Alan loved him so much.
Speaker 4: Would we think he's funny? Well, that's the thing. I want to Scottish comedian. I mean, we're we made.
Speaker 2: A tast in Scotland and we got to tell you then. Kevin, his name is Kevin Bridges. Hold on a second, so I'm going to pull up one of his little skits. So but I did DM him. I was like, my husband loves you, because I wanted to see like when he was playing let's see if you're saying mate, Oh no, he didn't respond.
Speaker 3: Hey, Ken, if you're listening, did you read it? Oh that would be funny.
Speaker 5: Oh they don't.
Speaker 2: It says a cow came receive your message because they don't allow new message requests from everyone.
Speaker 6: The thing is is like when you go to see a comedian, the pressure like, yeah, it's fun to make people unexpectedly laugh when they're there, and they're like, be funny. That just makes my throat close.
Speaker 5: Let's get her on here, I am. Let's get started, ladies. Who do we hate?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 5: My god, yeah, I love you? Kind you dislike?
Speaker 2: Is who?
Speaker 4: What I want to know?
Speaker 5: Do I dislike? Yeah? No one I'm going to say publicly on a podcast love that. Yeah?
Speaker 4: No, for sure.
Speaker 5: Same. I've learned my lesson. Who did you say? Don't even want to remat We can't go.
Speaker 2: No, my my attorneys right here will not allow me to see further.
Speaker 5: We have the receipts somewhere.
Speaker 4: No, we don't know. We've scrubbed it.
Speaker 5: Scrubbed it from the internet. It never happened, effects.
Speaker 2: Scrub scrubbed because I actually don't I've said this actually I don't hate. I dislike, but I don't hate anyone, because my mom always said that as a kid, She's like, you don't hate, you dislike.
Speaker 7: I don't know why moms always say that. I'm pretty casual about who I hate and I throw it around.
Speaker 2: But do you really mean that, like you really like there's like true, I don't know.
Speaker 7: I guess what is hate, right, right, Like actually hating someone and then they're like you hate them, probably because you like secretly love them, But like, I really really really detest Kanye West, but I don't hate him because I think there's something wrong with him, so I almost feel bad for him.
Speaker 5: Right that one. I don't care. I'm never gonna like need a record deal.
Speaker 7: Like it's okay to write some people, it's okay to openly hate, Like once you're an open Nazi, it's.
Speaker 2: Like okay, yeah yeah, fair, yeah fair, Yeah, so easy, we all move on, right Yeah No, no, no, that is I just think it's so hard because when you don't actually and that's why I've taken been more careful with words, be cause it's like I don't I don't know these people that I sometimes have opinions on, so It's like, how can I actually say I don't like X, Y and Z from what I see when I don't actually know. And I don't like it when people do that to me because they don't know the inside, right. So it's like, I don't think it's fair then to say, like everyone hates on Megan Markle. I was watching her show because I just would love to see what that You know, what the show is and all about it, but you know, I don't know, and like with the ins and outs of all of it, is so like, how can I hate someone that I don't even know?
Speaker 5: Right?
Speaker 7: So not hate, but I do think, you know, And I can't say as a public person, like we put stuff out there and the lesson that I've had to learn if.
Speaker 5: We're really getting cosmically granular.
Speaker 7: About it, like you genuinely can't control people's reaction, and it usually has to do with the fact that as a woman like you dared to try that really upsets people, and.
Speaker 5: So it does.
Speaker 7: I was actually thinking about this this morning, being preemptively judged, Like I hate the idea that I would make a joke that's a good joke, but a fan would like just read something about it or a person, and then they'd be like, well, she obviously hates coyotes.
Speaker 5: And you're like, no, I don't.
Speaker 7: It was a joke about how we shouldn't be killing them, but you only read the hot take of someone else, which is normally how we judge things.
Speaker 5: So I don't think it's ever hate.
Speaker 7: But I do think people when we put ourselves out there, you are putting yourself out there so people can digest it however they want, and that's something that we have to get over as public figures.
Speaker 2: Well, I feel like it's got to be hard to though, because one of the reasons why I love com I mean, I'm I love comedy. I love comedians. I think you guys are hilarious, and I feel like you guys get a pass to say things that we want to say but we can't say. But I feel like as the years go on, I've seen comedians kind of tighten up a little bit because they're afraid of certain backlash, and it's like, I hate that because I'm like, that's why I love watching comedians, because they say things.
Speaker 3: That are.
Speaker 2: Politically incorrect or whatever it is, and it's okay because you almost get like like I said, like a free pass, but now I feel like it's kind of changing a bit.
Speaker 7: I think it depends on the comedian, because I don't think you'll find that with a lot of well known white male comedians. I think they're like, I'm just going to keep doing it, and we do give them a pass in general because it's like, oh, he's like your grumpy uncle. I do think at a lower level of comedy, people are aware of that because you're so let's say you're like a D level comic or you're just starting out right, you are still down there with the masses. You are not up in your mansion getting a billion dollars for a special, So you are beholden to the slings and arrows of public judgment because you are with those people. And then that's why celebrities get called out of tough much. And it's not it's because you can't be in touch. You can't be one of the people when you have risen to like, let's say, a Dave Chappelle level.
Speaker 5: I also think.
Speaker 7: There is an art to saying the right thing and so being misunderstood. Sometimes it is because you did not accurately explain your joke. You didn't posit a thesis, You didn't really explain yourself. You just said something for the sake of the shock of it, which is also fine. And the question is like are you going to be okay with it? Are you going to be okay? Like do you want to go to the mat on that trans joke? Was it a good trans joke? Was it a good Jewish joke? You know? But I do think in general, our conscience has been raised in terms of why we say the jokes that we say, and like is it actually hurting someone when you, you know, call women whoes? Which I've done, you know, And as I get older, I'm like, maybe don't Maybe we can say something smarter, you know. So I think I don't mind the reckoning of like figuring out like where is your joke coming from? But I do think like true big comics like and I would clude myself in that, like we're still saying the things that we want to say. And the question is always like what's your intention beyond making a joke?
Speaker 5: Like what do you really want to say here?
Speaker 7: And how can you say it so that you can get the most amount of people on your side without hurting anyone?
Speaker 5: Deliberately.
Speaker 4: Sure.
Speaker 5: Sorry, I think about this stuff a lot.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it makes sense. So I hate coyotes.
Speaker 6: I'd like to just say that, since we're on the topic, I want to tack to my dog and I actually hate them. So I'm gonna go ahead and say it for you if.
Speaker 5: You can cancel me. But you can cancel me for the example. No, I wouldn't.
Speaker 6: No, I wouldn't, but I someone then cancel me, and that's fine. When you were growing up, like what was like A life of a comedian is just so fun to me, But I sometimes feel like the comedy doesn't always come from like the most like go get in place, Like a lot of times funny people are funny because of trauma my personal experience, and I'm just like, growing up, what was it like, when did you know you wanted to be a comedian? Did you just decide Like a couple of days ago you're like, yeah, I'll go all in on this because it seems you're working out or.
Speaker 7: I'm still deciding. Yeah, Like the jury is still out. I think there's I can't remember who said this. I want to say it's Larry David, but I could be wrong, and i'd have to call out to my husband.
Speaker 5: I'm not going to do that.
Speaker 7: There was some comic that once said, like, comedy is either and I'm gonna paraphrase this and butcher it like like suburban or urban, like suburban or street like. It's either coming from like something painful that happened at a disadvantage, or you are commenting on the mendanity of like everyday life, right like, And it's usually those two buckets.
Speaker 5: And I always think comedy I agree with that.
Speaker 7: And I think when you make a joke, it's either I'm saying something that's so relatable whether or not you had the wherewithal to say it, and you're like, I can't believe she said that, or you're saying something so unrelatable that it's hilarious. I find that it's usually those two buckets. I tend to go with the more relatable topic.
Speaker 5: But I don't know.
Speaker 7: I think when you're growing up, everybody has something that they trade on. It could be your looks, it could be your athleticism. Maybe you're the kid who like actually works at the group project. I was always a kid that's like, let's do a skit. And I was always like, if there's like oral report or write it down. I'm like, let's like let's have some razzle devil, but then you can phone it in, like you let your friend who's gonna go to like medical school, like do the actual work. And I'm just gonna like make it fun for everyone. And I think being able to make kids laugh, especially at an age like young girls weren't always like encouraged to be funny, and I was. And that's how I got girls to like me. It's how I got boys to be my friends. And so the goal was always making people laugh, and that just becomes your thing and it just kind of stayed my thing. And then and then here I am with an Amazon special at forty two.
Speaker 5: I mean that's amazing. Yeah right, you really?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean give yourself a little bit more like credit, Like that's we did skip a lot.
Speaker 5: We did skip a lot. I am just trying to.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I was like, wow, I got there.
Speaker 5: I've had two kids.
Speaker 7: A lot of it's blurry, but getting people to laugh is always the way I make myself comfortable. It's also the way that you kind of relate to people in a room you walk in, you know, you kind of throw out things to see, like who's on the same level as me? Who can I get on my side? Who can I make more comfortable?
Speaker 6: Was that ever a survival technique turned comedy or was that kind of like a.
Speaker 4: I mean, problems is an innate thing.
Speaker 7: I mean, everybody has parents who were divorced, and like that seemed fine at the time, But if you can't really examine your life until you're like over thirty five, Like I've been doing interviews in podcasts forever.
Speaker 5: Like what's your inspiration? What's your cosmic pull?
Speaker 7: And I'm like, I don't know, vodka, SODA's And then you start to get older and you're like, oh, that's why. That's why I always thought, you know, And so it is this complex thing. And to even begin to understand comedic inspiration, I think you have to like review a full career. So it's a deeply complex and boring answer. But making people laugh makes me feel good. Yeah, So any comic that tells you like, I just want to make people laugh and the rest of that sentences because I'm selfish and I deeply need it to feel good about myself.
Speaker 2: Well, no, but it does feel good, you know what I mean, Like I remember being up on stage and saying a joke. It's nice to hear people laugh when you know, when we're on tour or whatever it is.
Speaker 3: You know, yeah, like I'm not funny at all, really true.
Speaker 5: But it's not said one thing exactly.
Speaker 3: That's what I'm saying. I'm not funny, But if people actually laughed at me, I'd be.
Speaker 1: Like, oh wow, like that was actually funny. Very validating, Like it is very validating.
Speaker 5: Well, it's also powerful in that.
Speaker 7: Yeah, it's it's all at once validating, affirming, reaffirming on the days you feel bad and it's sexual and I often think about, you know, all the years that I like slogged it out in the clubs.
Speaker 5: This is at a time where like you still had to.
Speaker 7: Hear women aren't funny, but you are, and you're like cool, you sound you sound super evolved. But I would get men would come up to me after the show and their girlfriend was laughing because I could see them because it was like a small club, and the guy, I remember this happened more than once.
Speaker 5: The guy would shake my hand really hard, and I was always like, what is.
Speaker 7: That, Like, I'm not talking about how strong I am. It's a dominance thing. So there is this thing because women find a sense of humor, like it's up there with in terms of sexuality, Like that's very like we will ugly dudes with weird teeth because you're like, he.
Speaker 5: Needs me laugh.
Speaker 7: And you never see it the other way. I've never had a smoking hot guy. You look, she's funny, and now I'm wrong hard like they don't. You occasionally get like the one weird one and you're like, what's wrong with why are you so hot? And think that I am because I'm making you laugh. Funny is sexy in a man and a woman. It's kind of like touch or go. It's not something because men are not as cerebral as women. All this is to say I would spend the hour making his girlfriend laugh in a way that he never could making the woman with him laugh, which we likento something like a sexual experience, right, And I think that there's something threatening not all men, not all the time, but I this is the only way I could diagnose it. I spend an hour like sacking your girlfriend basically like she's super turned on and she's having this great time in a way that you couldn't. So to assert physical dominance. They would shake my hand really hard and it always hurt and it never felt great. But there is like a sexual component, like if you can get people to laugh, they feel comfortable and safe, and so that's that metaphysical aspect to it.
Speaker 2: Do you think there is less spots for women in comedy or more less spots? Yeah, like where it's the competitiveness of it and having because I mean, I see more male specials than you know. I obviously watch Nikki's, I'll watch yours obviously, but like.
Speaker 5: Which one of them?
Speaker 2: Don't we watch all some of the new one that's coming out, Thank you, absolutely them.
Speaker 7: You know what, people are gonna get upset about this, but I think real feminists know, Look, this is a numbers game. There are more men doing stand up, so numbers wise, there will be more men who have specials because of volume, so what you and so there's that. I think it's never been a better time to be something other than a man in comedy because people are more open to it. Part of that is all the work done by the women who came before me, and part of that is the work done by me and other women of my sort of class of comedy who you know, came in there and show that you can be attractive and funny and have multiple and like have the things that men have. I mean some of some of the biggest comics are women, you know. And so it's not I'm not it's not an indictment on your question, but I do think women ask that because it's frustrating when you don't get the things that you want.
Speaker 5: But here's the god's honest truth.
Speaker 7: No one who's actually funny, like good funny, not just like little funny and doing the work isn't getting ahead.
Speaker 5: No one. It just doesn't happen.
Speaker 7: And I promise you because I'm out there male and female, Like, there's a lot of mediocre comedy out there, but if you can combine even being mediocre with working hard, you'll get somewhere. So I think people are disheartened because it is so frustrating. But the excuse and I hear this, you didn't say this, but like, oh, it's because I'm a girl.
Speaker 5: I didn't get these spots because I'm a girl. I'm not on that lineup.
Speaker 7: It's like, no, no, because that takes away from what I've earned as a woman. That's saying that I'm just up there because I'm a woman, which is incorrect. And so I do think people don't realize, at least for stand up, which I realize is a very small percentage of people listening to this who actually care about the stand up it is. There is work, like it is a craft. It warrants ten thousand hours plus. It's not just writing down a couple jokes and then going up and then being like I didn't get on this lineup because I'm not one of the guys. It's like, well, then go make your own show. There's no rules in show business. You know, you can do whatever you want.
Speaker 2: I always say, can the best person get the job? But I also understand wanting to include everybody, But I just I still just go back to the you know who. Why can't it just be the best person.
Speaker 7: It can't be the best person because the best people aren't always deciding. But I do think laughing, like laughter is a meritocracy. Like nobody laughs continuously at a joke because it's because you're a woman and you're like, oh, she's trying, Like we might give you the laugh a couple times because we're nervous or whatever. But nobody's gonna watch your full hour and buy tickets to see you out of like the kindness of their heart because token ism, right, And so the best person also can't always get the job, you know, for whatever reason, whoever's doing the including or whatever the audience is. But there's the good news is there's enough jobs out there mm hm at least, so.
Speaker 2: Then that probably takes away from any cattiness then and there, or do you think that's still there because it's like you're still wanting to be known as the best female comedian or I don't know.
Speaker 7: I mean we were talking about people we hate earlier, Like, I don't have any issue with any woman in comedy, and I know most of them, and there's usually at least now, especially if you'll put it this way, if you work like if you work, like if you tour, and you know, like the grit and determination that this takes. When you meet another woman who's actually doing it, it's always it's usually a pretty lovely thing. Like I met Leanne Morgan, I met Heather McMahon all within the last few years, and I didn't know these women for when I was coming up, and they're it was just like Oh my god, I've seen you. Oh you know exactly how this feels. And there's actually very few women that really know that.
Speaker 5: I don't.
Speaker 7: There's also like, at least for me, like the idea of being the best female comic to me is the trash one, Like I want to be the best comic. So when people say you're my favorite female comic, I'm like, oh, is what I'm saying inherently so female that you need like a translator, Like you're telling me, like last last Friday at the improv, when I destroyed on a lineup all men, like I was still just mediocre enough to be on par with the least with one of the worst men. Because women are always like under that. I like, I don't when I think of like Ali Wong, I don't think she's like the best female comic. I think she's a great comic.
Speaker 5: You know, I hear you.
Speaker 4: I do hear that point.
Speaker 2: But also like I do have a favorite male actor, a favorite male like fem actress, and I don't know, I think it's for me personally, I hear. I'm like, I totally get that, but I'm also like, I think it's they're different because we are men and women I do believe are so wildly different that I'm like I they play different roles, so I like them differently for different reasons.
Speaker 5: I don't know. Acting I think is different.
Speaker 7: But also we also have like Best Female Actor, Best Male Actor, like Wake Me Up. When the Emmys are like Best Comedy Special, Best Female Comedy Special, Best Male Comedy Special, like I do think you can equally enjoy.
Speaker 5: An hour of stand up from a woman or a man.
Speaker 7: Now, I don't know if it was always that way, and I do think we do speak to different audiences. But for that matter, let's make it the best gay special. Let's make it the best Black special, the best you know, there are also great divides in ethnicity and uh where you are on the sexuality spectrum, and so I think if you really want to come to play, you're going to have to just play with everyone.
Speaker 6: When you do jokes that incorporate like your family or anybody, do you tell them ahead of time or is anybody prepared? Are you running things? Has it caused a riff in the family? Is there anything that you've been like, I shouldn't have done that.
Speaker 5: No, I'm pretty thoughtful about it.
Speaker 7: I do believe when you're working out sets around town, I believe that that's a sacred space and you should be able to say whatever you want, half baked, thought out, whatever, because we as artists deserve a place, a safe space to develop our thoughts in full. I don't really talk about my family. I've made fun of my mom a little bit, and she's like, I didn't really say that. I'm like, you did, You just don't remember, like when you refer to John Krasinski as a Polish actor and that did go in my special and so she's yeah, and so no, there's no real heads up. And I'd like to think that my husband and I know each other well enough that I would never say anything that paints him in a bad light, because when you are a comic and you talk about your family, it's the reason I so far don't talk about my daughter people. That is when we were talking about this earlier, about like what people perceive about you, Like that's all they'll know. So if I say my daughter was being a nightmare the other day and I have a joke about it, all you know is that my daughter's a nightmare.
Speaker 5: And so it is.
Speaker 7: You have to have this an intention about what you put out there for yourself as well.
Speaker 6: I think we see that too, probably, Yeah, sure, who's your favorite? Like when you're out touring, Like, is there a favorite? Like we've done a little wine down out and about tour, and you know, there's certain audiences that are just more fun than others.
Speaker 4: Is there a shout out to us?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 5: A city?
Speaker 6: Yeah, or I guess whatever, whoever whoever just popped in your brain when you made that.
Speaker 4: Look, that's who I want to know about.
Speaker 7: Oh, I have to do it by city, I mean, because this is I can't really see their faces, so I can't be like women with red hair. They always show up and show out and they're always drunk. It's always they do though, No, I'm just kidding, they do, they do. I shot this Amazon special in Salt Lake City because I played there.
Speaker 5: On the last tour and I was blown away.
Speaker 7: Salt Lake City is a city of not everyone's Mormon, and I happen to really like Mormons, Like they just are always so lovely and like happy because they all have the good news.
Speaker 5: But it's just a city of people.
Speaker 7: Who don't drink, who are jacked up on sugar with heavy creamer in it. Like this is before the real house of Salt Lake City came around. Like I remember playing Salt Lake City and on a Friday night, I was like going to the venue and it's just like Ford f two fifties wrapped around the block and just jack dudes named Gunner getting eight leaders of like cherry soda with coconut coffee creamer, just like ready to laugh for christ and the weekend. And they were just on fire. And so I say, Salt Lake City, Washington, d C. Is secretly an incredible comedy town because they work really hard and they're smart and they just like need to blow off steam and do blow.
Speaker 5: And of course you have like Seattle and.
Speaker 7: You have all those like big blue cities, but Charlotte, Raleigh.
Speaker 5: Durham, they come to play. I kind of just don't tour places that don't I don't feel great about.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well that makes sense.
Speaker 6: I mean he wants to sign up to go be away from your family, to have people stare at you.
Speaker 4: You're off on a new tour soon, right.
Speaker 5: I'm glad this tour starts.
Speaker 7: So there's a lot of little random shows, but this Officials tour will start in the fall. It starts in Estonia, as all great comedy tours do. People all the truth is though people everywhere, everybody is the same, and people all over the world want to laugh and people all we all deal with the same problems and relationships and personallynxieties and stuff like that, and people come out stand up.
Speaker 5: Comedy is bigger than it's ever been.
Speaker 7: And that's why I get to go to places like Romania and find these people.
Speaker 2: Oh can you find my appendix there? Because I had my roommate, I had my appendings taken out in Romania.
Speaker 5: That was you.
Speaker 4: You saw that appending team through a meet and great, why were you there?
Speaker 2: I was filming a movie and I got really sick and they were like, it needs you have to take out your appendix. But it was really my gallbladder the entire time, so they essentially took It's a really long story, but yeah, so if you could, you know, give me back my appendix when you go to Romania.
Speaker 5: That'd be great. Were you terrified? Were you like? This is yes?
Speaker 2: And that was back in two thousand and three, I want to say, or four, two or three or four. I was there, so I mean, it's like it.
Speaker 5: Was brand new to Romania. Like they just pretty like.
Speaker 2: They had like needles on the ground. They were like windows were cracked. I mean, I still have nightmares. And there's like a certain smell that sometimes all smell like it's like it brings me back to that. I mean it's no one spoke English. There's people were smoking cigarettes in the room. I mean it was like luckily I had my own room, but it was one of these scariest things ever.
Speaker 5: Oh my, what did they give you to eat to recover?
Speaker 2: I don't even remember. I got a cottonneumonia. They were about to give me a blood transfusion.
Speaker 5: So I had to get what was the movie? This had to be worth it? Well, this is what's funny.
Speaker 2: So I got written off because it was a Return of the Living Dead part four and five. I mean it literally was like filming my own like horror movie in Romania.
Speaker 4: Off scenes.
Speaker 2: But yeah, so anyway, it's not about me, but back to you.
Speaker 5: I just shipping back. They sold. They knew what they were taking out was wrong.
Speaker 7: They sold that appendix like somewhere no one gets an appendix put back in, but like someone ate it.
Speaker 2: Oh the brains of the zombies from the plot of squid Game is like illegal organ that's so true that one.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that was a messive squid game.
Speaker 5: Yes I did.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, that's terrible.
Speaker 5: Did you flip the out when you woke up?
Speaker 7: Or maybe they didn't even put you on an maybe they just gave you a goat to bite down on, Like you wake up?
Speaker 5: I really do you really?
Speaker 2: I mean yeah, I just remember waking up and then staying in there a lot longer than I was supposed to.
Speaker 5: You are being so cavalier about this.
Speaker 7: Obviously this is like a while ago now, but I would never stop telling this story.
Speaker 5: You can take it.
Speaker 4: You can.
Speaker 5: You can use that. There you go.
Speaker 2: You can.
Speaker 5: You can take my story and make it there you go.
Speaker 7: It would be like Forrest comedian actress lost my appendix in weird Romanian backdoor surgery.
Speaker 4: Oh my god, Paris has my heart Romania as like that kind of thing.
Speaker 7: Wow, Yeah, I am, I mean, I am like just thinking about how uncomfortable I was in my recovery room after having my son. Like if they were like, also, we took one of your organs, whoops, a daisy, I would be And you're in a foreign country. Oh my God, I would be that ugly American tour. I would have flipped the out like I would just be running with my ivy bag.
Speaker 5: I'm sure they didn't give you on. I'm sure it was just like a bag of goat milk. I don't know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they I didn't even know what they I was black. And anyways, back to you, So you've got you've got a baby. I think we need to know what do you struggle most within parenting because we talk about parenting a lot on the show, and we have, you know, kids of all ages on this couch. But for you, where do you have that like mom breakdown, cry moment.
Speaker 5: Oh it is every day. No, it's.
Speaker 7: I tend to get very misty eyed when I'm away from I only ever talk about my daughter. I do have a son, but because it's a little girl and she was my first, I can hear. And this is tough because traveling, you know, you got to be gone for a while. Some times, around day three I start to get very sad, like she doesn't know the amount of times I've just like sat there teary eyed on a plane, like just watching old videos, old pictures of her. So it is the anticipation of leaving is hard. The leaving is fine, but then after a few days missing that so much, and then you get back and you're like, oh, I need a break, but that and then, of course if your moms you'll understand this. Just me constantly fantasizing isn't the right word, but thinking of all the ways, all the creative ways I could die, and all the creative ways she could die, and how sad it'll be at my funeral when she's there, but she's still little, Like I go into like I build a whole world where I've died.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, I mean same, we all we all do that on the freeway on the way here.
Speaker 6: Actually, I thought if that guy rolls over on me, that semi truck, that would, yeah, the worst phone call, and who would take care and pick him up from school?
Speaker 4: I mean it's just really all the time.
Speaker 5: Do you not have that?
Speaker 4: I feel like you never how old?
Speaker 5: How old are the kids?
Speaker 7: I'm sorry I don't know, Yeah, how old are your kids? Ethan just turned one the day after my birthday, so if every twenty third and see her just turned three in January, So.
Speaker 2: Those are sweet ages when all they are that's really sweet.
Speaker 4: Yeah, lovey, I mean yeah, it's.
Speaker 1: To answer your question, I do if a situation happens, like if the situation happens to me, and then I'm like, man, had this gone like this, then what would I do if I was but just driving down the street or something like that. I usually just don't let my brain kind of go to those ideas.
Speaker 5: She's like, I have control over my well, I don't.
Speaker 1: I have my own issues, but I don't really have much of an anxious Like we try to.
Speaker 6: Keep the ratio one healthy one to two spiral ers. I am definitely unhealthy, just in very different ways.
Speaker 5: How are you unhealthy?
Speaker 3: I'm unhealthy because I like put up all the walls.
Speaker 5: She's like, I have I I have ibs. Let's move on right now.
Speaker 1: No, No, it's we all have our issues, but I just I'm not generally one that goes too far down that rabbit hole unless something happens and I'm like, oh my god, how did that happen?
Speaker 4: Then blah blah blah blah blah. She's good at structure though, she's like management, so that all tracks.
Speaker 3: Right, it all tracks for us? Yeah, yeah, when okay?
Speaker 2: So also relation relationships wise, how does your husband because if you're traveling a lot, how is that an yall's relationship? Is the re entry back in difficult because I know that can be tricky at times.
Speaker 7: I'll have to ask his girlfriend because like there's a lot of.
Speaker 2: No.
Speaker 5: But there's like, you know, we work too.
Speaker 7: We work hard so that our kids can have their little ecosystem, right they have their nannies and they have their bed, Like their nap times are sacred, like we don't want to disrupt that. And so there's definitely Sierra has the way she is with daddy. Like I walk in in the morning and they're having a quiet breakfast because he like rolled the oats and he makes the special oatmeal and they're listening to like Leonard Cohen or like Bob Dylan, something that boys like.
Speaker 5: And I I'm like, mommy's a crab.
Speaker 7: It's just like and she's like and so I'm definitely more the dad energy and he's more than mom. Like they have a very elegant sweet time and I'm like, get on.
Speaker 5: My back right into town.
Speaker 7: So it's it's kind of I arrive and I disrupt it. But I think she needs that at least I need.
Speaker 6: That's what my husband would say, Yeah, yeah, disruptor, Yeah.
Speaker 5: She needs a paint gun, a paintball gun.
Speaker 6: I don't know, it's a super smart choice. At three, who do you love watching comedian?
Speaker 5: Wise?
Speaker 7: I get that question a lot, and I can honestly tell you I don't really watch a ton and that's in a way that like it's hard to consume art when you make that art.
Speaker 5: I have found.
Speaker 7: A joy recently and you know, all come in the room if there's a comic on stage right before me, and I'll listen, and you know, there's always like a sweet camaraderie, like giving someone a tag. We did a show called Eliza's Locals that's on Hulu where I pick like fifteen comics and I give them each ten minutes.
Speaker 5: So we got a season two that's going to be we just shot it.
Speaker 7: And so I've found a real love in watching younger comics. And I don't always help them shape it, but giving thoughts or just kind of getting seeing how much they love it. And every time I see someone who's loving it up there, it reminds me, not that I need reminding, but I get more excited to go do it because I think as comics are as performers, we forget that it is truly about the work and like the act, the actual joy that you feel in being on stage, like it doesn't matter what you're going through, like your redemption lies on the other side of that fifteen minute set, right, almost always makes you feel better.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I just think it's so funny because mine like when we watch because we watch a lot of comedy specials, and my husband and I have very different comedic styles, Like there's a I have a favorite comedian minus you, of course, but like he's we're very different, Like I don't really like his comedies person as much and he doesn't love mine. So it's just different, like everyone has like a different different tape.
Speaker 5: Let me take a guess.
Speaker 7: Your husband likes like a middle aged white male comic and you probably maybe like that, but you tend to like a girl or something that's a little bit more nuanced.
Speaker 5: Right, No, but.
Speaker 2: THEO, right, And he's not that I don't like THEO, Like, I think he's funny at times, but I'm I'm like Sebastian Maniscalclo is my hands down, all time favorite. I love how he uses his body like it's the way he uses his face and his body, like I love them. My husband doesn't like that piece of it. He's like, I don't like how he does all that. I'm like, that's what's so freaking funny.
Speaker 5: Well, is your husband from the East Coast.
Speaker 2: He's Scottish, that's fine. Yeah, But the Scottish comedian, though, is really funny.
Speaker 7: Yeah, is so so painfully funny.
Speaker 5: He's one of the comics that I'll just like go back in the room.
Speaker 7: To watch because without saying anything, he's already got you laughing, like he's his own thing.
Speaker 5: I love. I think he's so funny. It is.
Speaker 7: I think also like if you're American, like my family's from the East Coast, you don't have and he's from Chicago, but like you don't have to be that, but like knowing Italian Americans like that.
Speaker 5: Whole and he's so disgusted what you said. It's open now, why isn't it open?
Speaker 7: I it reminds me of people that I know, even though he's so unique, so I can there is a point of reference as an American for him in the way that if you're like Scottish, you might not have that not saying he can't play uh Edinburgh.
Speaker 5: But right, I do find I've just heard this.
Speaker 7: Like a lot of women will come up to me and this always breaks my heart a little bit after a show and they'll be like, you're the first comedy show I've ever seen, or they'll say I don't really like stand up, but I love that, and I'm like, that's right. You don't like stand up because it is inherently a male dominated art form.
Speaker 5: So it's not that you don't.
Speaker 7: Like it, it's that you've been exposed to mostly men who, perhaps in the past, for the most part, their jokes are like they're misogynists, or it's always a little bit angry toward women, or it's about them jerking all for it's just.
Speaker 5: About like guy centric stuff through a male lens.
Speaker 7: Not that women can't talk about masterine, but it's always presented through a male lens, which is fine and it is funny, but after an hour as a woman, you're just like, okay, but where am I identifying with this?
Speaker 5: So when women don't like stand up, this thing.
Speaker 7: Like women aren't funny, that's insane and it's only born out of men saying it.
Speaker 5: Because I promise you women, weren't we just propagate it?
Speaker 2: Well, I think guys would be like, but girls only talk about pussy and stuff like that.
Speaker 7: Which is also a dated thing because I mean, I think we have enough women that do it to show like I've literally I don't think I've ever said that word on stage, and we definitely have enough women talking about other textured subjects.
Speaker 2: I feel like now though, because back in the day, like there was a comedian who now is huge, but she talked about it all the time, which made me not love. So I associated that with female comedians because I felt it because it's your samples is just the one, right, And so then I didn't expand to watch others. Now I believe that comedian has grown and she's you know, great, and I love watching her stuff now. But now it has opened me to want to see, you know, watch your specials, do other things like that, because it's not just about that you're you're broadening it to them, just not hearing about the vagina every time.
Speaker 5: I think too.
Speaker 7: While it is not the way that I choose to speak, I do think we as women and I'm not this is not about assigning blame to you, but I think we all do this. When you are of a minority, whatever that minority is, you represent that entire group.
Speaker 5: Right, So when I'm a woman and.
Speaker 7: I fuck up at work, it's like, right, because women, you know are if I cry at work, right, it's because women are emotional. And we have that one woman here and she did that. We have the one black guy here who was late, so therefore that's right, that's what we think, Right, we have the one Asian guy who was good at my own because there's always good at that, there's always the representation of that one. So when you're ample size is bigger, Like if I said all white men are rapists, you'd be like, there's a lot of white men who don't, because we have this ample size to show, we have the data points to show that that's not true. But if you only knew one white guy and he rapes someone, that is your thinking of it. So when you are I mean, I'm Jewish, and so it's always like, well, don't all Jews do this? And if I did that, like when Bernie made off over all those people, all Jews were like, oh no, like there's only like ten of us, and this guy did that. There's always that cringe at the representation. So the more women that do it, the more we realize women can speak about normal, difficult things, and we don't think about that with men. We don't think all male comics only make dick jokes.
Speaker 5: I mean it's a lot of them, right, a lot of them, And.
Speaker 7: So that's just I mean, that's the internetification also of stand up is that, like, there's so much out there you can go find exactly your weird personality type and find the exact comic talking about that that represents you or whatever profile you have, your clear Vietnamese immigrant, bisexual, you know, family that rents cats. You're like, there's a comic talking about that, like, because there's enough of them doing it right, right.
Speaker 2: Well, you are a different animal. So everyone watch on Amazon Prime Tuesday, March eleventh, You're Special, Yeah, and all the other ones and the book and the podcast and everything else. On tour Where can they find?
Speaker 5: You can see me?
Speaker 7: Eliza Dout on stam Slash Tour. I'm instagrama the only lies that does comedy. And when you you know, are like, oh I'm out of toothpaste, and you go online to buy it.
Speaker 5: Click over to My Special on Amazon Boom. I love that you're out of socks. Go watch a different animal. But we're here for you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Carol, thank you for coming on, thank you for keeping it real, and I'm excited to watch your special.
Speaker 4: It's going to be great.
Speaker 5: Thank you.
Speaker 7: And you guys are lovely and and you were funny in the middle you said at least two things where.
Speaker 5: I was like, exactly, no, you were of all, I enjoyed you the most.
Speaker 3: Thanks. I appreciate it. Alright, ladies, I'm so validated.
Speaker 2: Have a good day.
Speaker 7: Bye, you guys, have a good one.