Speaker 1: This is the Patriots Catch twenty two podcasts with Evan Lazar and Alex Barth.
Speaker 2: Blazar and Lazarre, Hello, everybody nailed it, Joins always buy our Bara.
Speaker 3: Here is Evan Lazar and Alex Barr.
Speaker 1: If they're going that deep, then we're in trouble, right, Like, I'm not saying we're not going to talk about those guys periods.
Speaker 3: Oh, I'm going to make you watch Joe. I cannot wait for you to watch Joe Milton.
Speaker 1: I'm not saying we're not going to talk about this. I know, but Evan, I'm so excited. They cannot be going that.
Speaker 3: Joe Milton is going to break your mind. So I can't wait.
Speaker 1: That's a good way to start the show, because I did want to start the show on the draft and uh, Evan Lazarre, Alex Barth, Patriots Catch twenty two. Marine is back, Marine is back behind the glass. Love to see that doing better, he said, He's living is what he said. I don't know if that's necessarily doing better, but here we are. Everybody's like, you know, battling illness. These we're like fighting it off and trying to stay away from it. For the next two weeks. But I want to start with the draft and with the Patriots situation. We have our inbox right now, Alex is flooded with emails with angry Patriots fans that they're winning these games and they won in Denver and we're gonna get to that win. We're gonna talk about some Bailey Zappy, three up, three down, all that stuff in a second. But here's where I want to start the show. Everybody is is. I think there's a lot of Patriots fans. I don't want to say everybody because then people come at me and like, it's not everybody. A lot of Patriots fans that feel like our pal Warren here who says, guys, please stop downplaying a high draft pick. It's pathetic that the Patriots are celebrating these recent wins as well as lotting Zappi and basically said that this is all. I don't want to read all this because it's it's not very nice. Basically, it says that this is a gonna say the franchise back. You know, I hear this a lot, right, Like it's gonna set the franchise back a decade, that they're winning these games and they're this that and the other thing. I know you're pretty fired up about this outs because you started yelling at me before.
Speaker 3: We I mean, not yelling at you, yell.
Speaker 1: Anyways. I here's the thing to me about this. There are some let's call it intangible things that I that I like about what I've seen from this team the last week or so. And I get it, they're four and eleven. Some people don't want to celebrate for any sort of win when you're having a season like this, and I totally understand that line of thinking to an extent. But after the game in Denver, when I was in that locker room, that did not feel like a four and eleven team. And I don't mean that they're not like seeing the forest for the trees that I do it, right, I'm not. I'm not saying that that's not the case, but just there's a lot of competitive people in that locker room. There's a lot of competitive people, and I want to build a football team with competitive football players. I don't want to build a football team. I'm just going to call him out. Fill with Trent Browns, all right. I don't want that, all right. I want a football team filled with David Andrews's right, and David Andrews Christian Barmore three sacks in a quarter. You're telling me that guy doesn't care, That guy doesn't isn't trying, that guy doesn't want to win, right. I want to build my football team with people like that.
Speaker 3: To top Douglas going up put his body on the line to make that catch.
Speaker 1: I think that there's a culture element to winning, and a culture element to all of that. But most importantly, because I don't think fans right now that are on Warren's side of the fence, that I want to hear that, I think most importantly the difference is in my lack of panic about them winning these football games compared to some other people, is that I feel like they A lot of people have labeled this a three player draft. At the top, it's Caleb Williams, Drake may or Marvin Harrison junior. And if the Patriots don't come away from this draft with one of those three players, then it's a failure. It's a failure, and they're they're just getting, you know, another kind of man prize.
Speaker 3: I've heard in that so many times the last few days that that win set the Patriots back ten years.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: One, that's not how the NFL works. Not one single thing that happens in the NFL has an impact that last ten years, outside of like a rule change by the league. The league changes too much on a week to week, year to year basis for anything to set you back. The only way it sets them back ten years, Evan is if they let them And if they let it set them back ten years.
Speaker 1: I told you he was fired up.
Speaker 3: Thank you. If they let it set them back ten years, they deserve to be dragged for letting it set them back ten years, not for winning a game. Sure. And when I say letting it set them back, I mean not being as aggressive as they need to be this offseason, because there's a realistic aggressiveness I think you can expect from this team.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 3: Number two, the whole thing about the three player draft. First off, it is a three quarterback draft.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and Jane is where I wanted to go because I think I'm gonna give you some flowers right now. You always tell me about these guys in like September or October, and then I started watching them at some point, and then we get to the point of the draft where we're really talking about Jaden Daniels and Michael Pennix and not Caleb Williams. Everybody knows about Caleb Williams. He won Heisman Trophy last year. We all know who Caleb Williams is, I think, and I it was it Phil Perry that had that segment on NBC Sports Boston about the intel around the league.
Speaker 3: Yeah, this happens all the time. Love Phil was saying that two weeks.
Speaker 1: Ago, this happens all the time. That the league knows, the league knows that Jaden Daniels is a baller. Then what ends up happening is is that people that cover the NFL, like like me and cover and you and other people. I leave you out of that. That's why I was going, Yeah, people that cover the NFL exclusively then catch up to the NFL, catch up to the scouting departments and the gms and things like that around the league. And now all of a sudden, oh, Jayden Daniels, Like do you see this guy from LSU won the Heisman Trophy? Like pretty good? Right? And I think that that's what's what always happens, and it's just happening a little bit earlier here because the Patriots are in the position that they're.
Speaker 3: In, Right, it's happening early for us. This winning usually happens this time. In twenty nineteen. Yeah, Joe Burrow was not the first overall pick, right well, like some people were talking about it, but it was still twenty nineteen.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm saying like he kind of punched his And that's not me saying Jane Daniels is going to become the first overall pick. I don't think he jumps that much. But does he jump Drake May?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Does he locked him? I think he's already locked himself in as a top five. Does he jump Drake May? Does he jump Marvin Harrison? Some of it's going to depend on the order of the draft and how that kind of shakes out, but I think there's a real chance of it. This is a three quarterback draft, and I would even say beyond that, Caleb Williams is in his own class in this draft. I think the tier two quarterbacks are Drake May and Jade and Daniels, and I think the gap between May and Daniels is smaller than the gap between Williams and May. I think there is then a third tier that I would call elite offensive non quarterbacks, and that is Marvin Harrison, brock Bauers, Joe All. I think all for he's one step so I would put Olshanu with like Malik Neighbors, and he's two steps down. I'd put him with Malik Neighbors and Roma Dunes and like that group. And then there's one other. This isn't really a uprated tier. It's kind of to the side. There's a defensive version of the Harrison Bowers. Well, no, I just want to I want to know. I don't want people to think I'm saying Dallas Turner sucks and kool Aid mcinstrey sucks, because they're very good players, but they're like the brock Bowers, Marvin Harrison, Joe alt Tier on the other side of the pot.
Speaker 1: I hear what you're saying. I'm glad you set it up for people to understand. Yeah. But well, but here's the thing.
Speaker 3: Let me just say that. Let me just say this. Yeah, brock Bauer, I think specifically, not brock guys. I think specifically Dallas Turner, kool Aid mckinstrey, in lay too, La Tou from UCLA and maybe you throw Jared Verson here. We'll see we test those four players are actually very important for the Patriots in this draft because.
Speaker 1: They could go higher.
Speaker 3: Is there a team that's simply sitting there saying we need defense? And does one of those guys shoot up the board and bump Jayde and Daniels if the Patriots win another game, let's say they beat the Jets, bump Jayde Daniels down a spot, bump Joe Alt down a spot. I know it annoys you to talk about those guys because you don't think the Patriots should draft them, And that's all well and good. We have to adjust our approach this year because we sort of just do this by default when the Patriots are picking fifteenth, twentieth, twenty fifth, that there's just certain guys at the top that we let go of every single pick. Now, anytime you're in the top ten, you have to look at from that angle where it is still important for us to follow the progress of a guy like Dallas Turner, even if the Patriots aren't gonna draft him, because does he jump into the top five, Because even if the Patriots aren't taking him, that changes the outlook. But you're gonna have to listen to me talk about that's what I'm saying. You can't shoot me down when I talk about which.
Speaker 1: Is what you just tried to do. I. Yeah, the thought of the Patriots taking a defensive player in the first round makes me want to puke.
Speaker 3: I'm not rolling that out entirely if Bill's comes back, but I'm with you that they shouldn't do it.
Speaker 1: That's entirely so. I think that that's the biggest difference is that if you are locked into the fact that those three guys Caleb, Drake May, Marvin Harrison Junior are the only three guys that you feel are worth you know, I don't want to say worth drafting, but just that's all that gets you excited. Is if one of those three guys is a Patriot, then I can understand why you're upset that they're winning football games. I just don't feel that way, and I really, I think you put it perfectly about I feel that the gap between Drake May and Jaden Daniels is not that large. I really felt that when we talked about Drake May a lot last week, Yeah, and talked about some of the things that I feel a little bit worried about with Drake May. Last week do you.
Speaker 3: Want to update any of that now that you watch the Virginia game.
Speaker 1: I feel the same way. Okay, I feel the same way. I just want to give you that opportunity. Yeah, I feel the same way. And now I feel like I've I've watched enough of Drake May that I have a lot of notes on him, and I feel like I'm almost like done with Drake May, which is amazing. In December. It makes me feel good. I'm like way ahead of schedule here. Anyways, with Drake May, I I feel the same way, and that is that I really he is a ball of clay and he's going to need a lot of refinement with his mechanics and with his accuracy to be a consistently good NFL quarterback. The flashes are phenomenal, like the big time throw ability, the mobility, the off platform, all that kind of stuff is phenomenal, but he has some warts to his consistency in pocket mechanics that he's going to need to work on. Whereas with Jayden Daniels, I think that there are warts with him as a passer right now that exists just with his playing style. But at the same time, his mobility is such an elite trait that that's a carrying trade of phase that he's every single time he drops back the pass. They're going to be playing eleven on eleven and the defense is going to have to worry about the quarterback and account for the quarterback. Like what he did against Alabama scrambling was ridiculous.
Speaker 3: That's when he became a top ten pick. Like that game, he looked like a top ten pick.
Speaker 1: And I remember watching that game a little bit live and and Saban saying at halftime that they were playing a lot of match coverage, and when they were playing match coverage that you know, Lsu was just kind of running verticals down the field and getting guys to turn their backs to the quarterback. And he said, we only had one spy in the middle of the field, and the one spy wasn't good enough, Like he couldn't you know, one linebacker is not going to be able to tackle Jayden Daniels in the open field, and he just carved them up. I think Jayden Daniels is the best scrambling quarterback that I've seen in the draft since Lamar, Like he's he's that dynamic as a runner.
Speaker 3: I don't want to take away from him as a pastor though, and like he has his warts, like you said, but a lot of it feels coachable and he still is a guy that can Like he's a threat with the deep ball.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the threat. Oh yeah, he's probably the best. Uh. I wouldn't say he's the best deep ball because that's probably Penixa. Yeah. I think he's he's really good on the deep ball. Yeah. And I think that his game is really really similar to Lamar's at Louisville. It is, and they both won the Heisman Trophy, so they both pread up the numbers, and I think that they're really similar.
Speaker 3: I still think he's more advanced as a prospect than Lamar was. Let's not say he's gonna better than Lamar, but Lamar.
Speaker 1: I want, I just wonder if he's more advanced than Lamar because we're five years forward of like how to scheme with that type of no I I.
Speaker 3: Remember like Lamar sprayed it a little bit more like his accuracy was Lamar, So like like Lamar with let me let me all right, let me rephrace that. Yeah, Jane Daniels is more advanced as a passer than Lamar was coming out Lamar is obviously much better as a runner. He's better than everybody is a runner. Like, yes, you know, but I I remember, like Lamar, there was some underneath stuff that where it was just like three step, hit the back foot and throw, and like that didn't come for him until year two or three in the NFL. Right, Daniels isn't amazing at that. I'm not going to have him necessarily run like just a you know, quick game offense, but like I feel like he's better in that regard.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Lamar Lamar head footwork problems. That's his platform was really really narrow and he didn't really didn't allow him to control the football.
Speaker 3: Jane Daniels mechanics, they could be tightened up a little bit. But like he gets the I love how quick he gets the ball out and as.
Speaker 1: Usually does, he does have a quick release. I would be ecstatic with the Patriots drafting Jayden Daniel.
Speaker 3: Oh you would. You'd be doing backflips. Yeah, I've said this. I said that when we first start talking about him, you're like, yeah, he's a good players, like this is going to be your guy. Yeah, I know that he is going to be your guy. I want to say one more thing, and you talk about Lamar there, and it kind of goes to the point for everybody saying, oh, you know, if you can't get even if you don't believe in Jade Daniels, and maybe you have some legitimate football concerns with Jadan Daniels and you do think it's Kayleb Williams and Drakeman the draft and the other thing. So what I've said is, even if they win another game, fall back in the draft a little bit. The criticism should not be that they want a game. The criticism should be they failed to trade up and get aggressive and getting the guy they believe is their future. If there's a quarter of a any player, I guess, if there's any player on the board that you think this guy is going to be the reason we win a Super Bowl? Is there anything that's too much to get him?
Speaker 1: So here's where I would slip back on that a little bit, because I fear I hear the trade up argument. Ye I fear that trading up is a move that a team like the Carolina Panthers just did and you have to be so sure.
Speaker 3: So obviously that's what I'm saying, Like, because Carolina is a terrible That's what I'm saying. And Bryce Young wasn't worth trading up for. But if if if the Patriots look at Shane Daniels, they look at Trake may Or, they look at Marvin Harrison, and they say, this is the guy, this is the guy we're gonna build the next ten years around. We know we can do it. Is there any prate now? If they don't believe in them, then don't But there's no reason.
Speaker 1: That you I don't know if there, I don't know if you can say that, Like, I feel like that's no reason to put it that way.
Speaker 3: There's no Well, but then you shouldn't be taking the guy anyway. If you don't truly believe him, shouldn't be taking the guy anything.
Speaker 1: I just think there's a difference between giving up like Caroline and Panthers.
Speaker 3: Okay, but it's not I'm not saying trade up to one. I'm not saying trade up to twenty. I'm talking about moving up from like five to three. Oh yeah, that's I mean, maybe that's it's I'm not saying forced the way up to get Killableyes, but let's let's say they believe Jane Daniels is the guy, and they know they get they need to get to three to get Jade Daniels And they're sitting there at four and jayde and Daniels goes three. You can't just say, aw shucks, well we needed the third pick, we have the fourth. Nothing we can do about it, Like, you can't do that. And when I give that argument, some people say, well, all the teams above the Patriots need quarterbacks, So why is a team that needs a quarterback going to trade out?
Speaker 1: It's adorable.
Speaker 3: People think the NFL draft is that predictable. It really is. If the both in terms of what teams are gonna do in who the players are going to become. If the NFL draft was that predictable, be no fun. Who had the Texans trading up to the third pick last year? Or after picking right back to back, picking back to back, second and third?
Speaker 1: Who had that?
Speaker 3: Yeah? And so just to go through it real quick, Chicago, it looks like he's gonna get the first overall pick via Carolina. Yep, that right away. Not a team that I'm convinced is going to take a quarterback. I look, there's really strong arguments both ways for Chicago. Right fields Fields is starting to play. Well, do you go out, do you get him a real pass catcher, whether it's Harrison or Bowers and one of the tackles in whatever order you do, that will dictate. But do you go out to get him a real pass protect or a real weapon? And okay, like here we go, we move forward with this guy, or is it, hey, you know we can get a rookie quarterback. We can reset the clock on the rookie quarterback contract. We'll go out and get Kayleb Williams. Not a decision I would want to make. It's a very tough decision. I don't think you can go wrong. But yeah, not necessarily a team that's going to want on a quarterback. Arizona not totally sold that they're going to be on a quarterback. They o Kyler Murray a lot of money, and they may just say, you know what, let's get some pieces around him and keep building. He's looked competitive here this season. Washington definitely. Washington is definitely a quarterback team. You have the Giants in there. I don't believe the Giants will be a quarterback team. It is really hard to give Daniel Jones one hundred whatever million dollars and then come back.
Speaker 1: The Giants might be a quarterback.
Speaker 3: I don't think they can't be. They can't. They are, but not in the first round they are.
Speaker 1: That is I think you you if you as an organization, you eat it.
Speaker 3: Like you can't get. The is not going to go for that. He's not like that.
Speaker 1: Broncos are about to eat Russell Wilson's cond that's.
Speaker 3: Two that's two years later. It's it's it's just it's just they are a day two quarterback team.
Speaker 1: You have You've seen enough from Daniel Jones in New York to know that that guy is not it.
Speaker 3: Okay, so fine, Washington. The Giants, who the Patriots are ahead of Chargers, are not a quarterback. It would be shocked now, frankly, if the Charges are a quarterback team. No, they're not a quarterback. Don't the Patriots should be the team that traded for Justin Herbert Tennessee might be. I kind of feel like Rabel likes Will Levis.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I would think that they're more like ahead your bed on day two.
Speaker 3: Right, right, and again that's right, but the Giants and then you have the Bears again, and the Jets are a quarterback team obviously, but they're a couple wins behind the Patriots, so really stamp on it. I mean, there's four teams that could be I think there's two teams that definitely are in an ideal world right now, and things are gonna change. An ideal world right now. People say the Patriots can't get a quarterback. Washington trades up from three to one. That move makes all the sense in the world. They have an owner that wants to get aggressive, that wants to go out that work Carol Splash right, Caleb Williams is from DC, so you talk about like a unique fit there. Washington moves up from three to one. They get Caleb Williams. Let's see, Drake May goes two. Whether it's Arizona or it's another team trading up there, Drake May goes two. Whiteboard for this Chicago at three. I'm Charlie Kelly with Pepe.
Speaker 1: Sylvia'd like a.
Speaker 3: Chicago down three. They're gonna take either Alt or Harrison for Caleb Williams, and then the Patriots are sitting there on the board Jane Daniels's they're at four. That to me is a very realistic situation and I know people think to bring it back to the original point, Kayla Williamstrake, May Kyla Williams Strake, May Patriots get Jane Daniels at four, people should be doing backflips in the streets.
Speaker 1: Okay. Uh, I'm gonna and then I really do want to talk about the actual current team.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 1: The The last thing I'm gonna say is gonna be an unpopular opinion, But I'm just gonna say it anyways, because I as an as an offensive line guy, Alex, I have to say it. I have to tell you that taking the tackle is not a bad move for the fit.
Speaker 3: It is if if all let's say all three quarterbacks are gone, it's the move.
Speaker 1: I don't even it's not even about that, like because you have to Again, I like Jayden Daniels. You like Jayden Daniels, but they have to like j Daniels. You have to be sold on that on a guy like that. I'm not taking Zach Wilson just to take a quarterback, right, Okay, true, but that's my point and I'm not thinking je Daniels. Okay, But the point being is is that I I'm gonna have an unpopular opinion on this I I really would strongly, strongly entertain the tackle. So do you remember even over a quarterback?
Speaker 3: Okay, I wouldn't go that far, But do you remember a couple of weeks ago I said on Patriots Beat Joe Alt over Marvin Harrison, and some guy called in because he couldn't understand it, and I said, this is gonna be a real conversation. Yeah, I'm with you on the unpopular opinion.
Speaker 1: Like, okay, maybe maybe saying over quarterbacks to stretch. I am a hooker. If I'm an over tackle over Marvin, here's.
Speaker 3: What I would say if and tell me if you agree, because I don't want to put words in your mouth. But if it's Joe Alt or a quarterback you don't fully believe in, Yeah, Joe Walt, is that what you're saying? Basically, I would agree with you on that. Now, if it's let's say they buy into Jayde and Daniels and they say, this is our you know, we missed on on Lamar Jackson in twenty eighteen, here's our chance to get right. Then you take Jayde Daniels all day. Yeah, But if they're like Jane Daniels, he gets hurt a lot Drake may super inconsistent. But Joe Alt, You're like, this is a Hall of Fame left tackle. Yeah, then yeah, you take absolutely, And even if they think Marvin Harrison is also a Hall of Fame wide receiver, Joel.
Speaker 1: I would just look at the way that the league is trending in the good teams in the league, and it's you would be really hard pressed to find a team right now that you could say legitimately has a chance to win the Super Bowl that has a bad offensive line. It doesn't exist. And I could more easily find a team that doesn't have the quarterback in the traditional sense, the elite quarterback San Francisco and Detroit right and say that that team has a legitimate chance to win a Super Bowl with Brock Purdy because Trent Williams is his starting left tackle, or in Detroit where the whole offensive line is is a bunch of.
Speaker 3: The age, I think, and you can speak more to why this is happening schematically, like teams going more too high and things like that, the age of get a dominant quarterback. He's going to over five thousand yards every year, You're gonna be in the AFC Championship Game. NFC Championship game every year. It's trending away from that. I'm not saying that quarterbacks no longer important. It still absolutely is, but you are starting to see a trend back towards more well rounded football.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And I just think that you need to be you need to be mindful of the fact that this Patriots team is not necessarily a rookie quarterback away from being a Super Bowl competitor.
Speaker 3: And I think, but I think they're a strong offseason away from being like a potential nine to ten win team.
Speaker 1: Maybe, but I think that I would rather and I think this is what they did in twenty one, and I think this is a big reason why it didn't work in twenty one. They went for the instant gratification method. They spent like crazy and free agency, they drafted a first round quarterback, and it worked off the top, right, they win ten games, they go back to the playoffs. I'm much more interested this time around. And sustainability, well, because they stopped, they stopped. They didn't add anybody the next two years. Fine, but I really feel like in general, they went for a quick fix, and I want a sustainable model. And I think building the offensive line building out, the pieces around the quarterback and all that type of stuff is still important. And I look at Joe alt, I know that you know you like Joe Altover Forshanu. I probably will too eventually, so I think, but I think both of those guys are blue chip type. They're very close.
Speaker 3: Fishanu probably has a little more ceiling, but like there's a little more variance and there's a little more risk where all like you're getting a guy that's gonna step in and he's gonna be starting left tackle for for ten fifteen years. He's gonna make a couple of Pro Bowls, might make an All Pro team or tours. Like Fashanu might just be like an average starting tackle. He might be a perennial All Pro. But his more variance with it alto his better size. He has more experience, He's been a cleaner player. The real difference for me is who had a really rough game against Ohio State, which is I mean not in past protection. He got seven pressures?
Speaker 1: Oh did he really? Yeah, the guy hasn't allowed a sack in like three years now.
Speaker 3: He allowed a lot of pressures though, Yeah, I mean he got uh Jack Sawyer and uh, I like to all, who I forget the other guy's name, Like those are both top one hundred draft pick at Like those are going to be right, Ohio State hit guys, right, we know how they.
Speaker 1: He's certainly is uh, he's he's an athletic specimen, but he's his technique and things like that are a little bit more raw. Joe Alt is like your your prototypical ready made starting left tackles and set it and forget it right. Whereas Fishan who has a huge upside to him because of his athleticism.
Speaker 3: So sorry Pffshan who against Ohio State didn't allow sack, but he allowed six pressures, so not seven, but he allowed ten all year. So that's the thing. It's like he the one bad game he had, but it's against I mean great he plank. He had a clean sheet against you Mass okay sick.
Speaker 1: Okay, oh my god, he played more than just you Mass on it.
Speaker 3: But like they didn't really play like hell had one pressure, had one penalty against Michigan. Big ten kind of sucked this year.
Speaker 1: Here here's the point though, Yeah, the point is is that you still in my mind, the offensive line is a major, major need for this team in the offseason and it's twofold one. I feel as though it's very, very difficult to build an offensive line through the veteran market. There's not a whole lot of surplus at offensive line. There's certainly not a lot of good offensive line, and especially at the tackle position. League wide, those guys don't move very often, and if they do, it either costs you a ton of money, like toront Armstead for example, in Miami, or it's via trade like Trent Williams to San Francisco. Right, those guys don't come available too often if you look at the free agent market that's slated right now. At tackle, there's a pretty strong argument that Michael Auenu as a guard playing tackle, might be the best tackle in free agency this year. And he's sure, and he's your guy, right like he's already here. We talked a ton about tackles in free agency last year. Mcglinchy, McGary, Jwan Taylor, those types of they probably should have done it last year. But at the same time, Mike mcglinchy just got his freaking lunch money handed to him by josh Uja. Right, he's had a bad year. Mike McGlinchey with the Broncos, and the Broncos owe him a ton of money moving forward. So I think what you run into the risk of is that you're going to sign a tackle in free agency who's really like a C plus player, but you're playing him a plus money. You're playing him top of the market money, which I just don't think is necessarily good for business. So it's I think it's going to be really difficult to find the left tackle via the veteran market, whether that be trade or free agency, and looking at their situation right now, Trent Brown, I don't know if Trent Brown's gonna play another down for the Patriots.
Speaker 3: Can I be honest with you, Yes, it would not be the most surprising thing in the world to me if Trent Brown came back. I don't think he's going to and.
Speaker 1: I would be absolutely floored.
Speaker 3: I think here's the way he plays out because I played out the last few years.
Speaker 1: I've defended Trent Brown a lot because I think when he's when he's locked in, he's a starting caliber left tackle.
Speaker 3: Let me be fair, this is a critique of the Patriots. This is not a defensive Trent Brant Okay, they're gonna get to free agency, like they don't. They clearly won't address tackle in the draft. They won't do it at the top of the draft. They don't want to do it. They're gonna get free agency and they're gonna see Tyron Smith and he's gonna want a lot of money. And they're gonna see Joah Williams and he's gonna want a lot of money.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, I don't even like Jonah Williams says all sorts of flaws. I don't even.
Speaker 3: But my point is, like Trent Brown's gonna get free agency, He's gonna be asking for top of the market tackle money. He's not gonna get it because the way it ended here, at the end of the day, you know they it's gonna be last call.
Speaker 1: They need gonna be two people left in the bar. They need to move on Patriot.
Speaker 3: The Patriots see a starting caliber tackle they don't have to pay starting caliber tackle money, and Trent Brown sees a team that's at least willing to come close to his number, even if it is a value deal for the team. They're made for each other. It is a toxic relationship. That's how he came back last time.
Speaker 1: They need to they need to move on from people like Trent Brown. So they did those types of people with that type of attitude like he's not.
Speaker 3: I know, but he's he's an affordable, starting caliber tackle. He didn't play, he.
Speaker 1: Didn't practice yesterday, we get the injury report, what does it say? Illness?
Speaker 3: Illness? My ass right, you.
Speaker 1: Get out kind of had a cryptic tweet that like suggested he was not only that, but he plays what like twenty five snaps in the game on Sunday. He's moving at half speed, like like everybody else is moving faster than him. And it's not because he's three hundred and eighty pounds because he's not trying. So again, he's literally stopped playing. In the middle of the play with Tayekwon Thorton on the Jets sweep, if he's if he throws a block, Taekwon Thorton might score. Let me. He just he just stands there.
Speaker 3: I would not bring him back. They should not bring him back.
Speaker 1: I would much rather than just go with a younger guy that even if they don't draft it at the top of the draft, like draft something draft Matt Light, draft somebody in the second hatter.
Speaker 3: Paul, I'm not saying i'd bring him back. Let me be clear about that. For all the reasons you just said they need to they need tackle like this might happen they've gone yeardy, all right, So do you want PFF's top for agent tackles? By the way, just so because this helps your Joe Alt argument. Number one, Tyron Smith, he's like old, Yeah, he's like forty. Number two Trent Brown, that's the that's the number two tackle available. And by the way, I think that's correct based on the rest of this list.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Number three Mike go When Yeah, but he's because he only plays right tackle, right, That's why he's below. I do think at this point is a better option than Trent Brown. Number four, Makai Beckton, number five, Joanah Williamsnumber six, Austin Jackson, number seven, Donovan Smith. Your number eight tackle available Evan Jermaine iluminor number nine George Fant who's gonna retire He's like, what thirty eight? Yeah, this is my point. In number ten, Josh Jones, No, I wanted to give this to you to help you make.
Speaker 1: My point, like where are they getting to be?
Speaker 3: Just to be fair, next up, Isaiah Win.
Speaker 1: Yeah, where are they getting the tackle from? And on top of the fact that the free agent market stinks, maybe some veteran tackle a team you know, has like a tarn Armstead situation where the Saints had to move money and it wasn't gonna work and they end up moving on from Tron Armstead and he goes to Miami. Maybe something like that comes to fruition. But I don't know where else the tackle is gonna come from. And right now, without Dante Scarnekia walking through the door, I don't have any confidence in them developing tackles. So, like, if they're gonna draft somebody, you can't just say, oh, we're gonna draft a tackle in the fourth round and we're gonna turn them into a which is what they're still trying to do.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 1: You can't do that anymore because you don't have the coaching to do that anymore. So I look, I would take the quarterback at the top of the draft. I'm not arguing against that. I am just telling you that the one way that you can finally solve what's been probably the biggest issue for this team the last two years, which is tackle, is by drafting one near the top of the draft, because is it gonna like, I don't know if it's going to be Adrian Klem, Is it gonna be Billy Yates, Is it going to be another higher you know, like who's going to be running the offensive line. It's just the offensive line is an absolute rest for this team. Every single week. They have no tackles. Their tackles are either hurt or weren't good to begin with, or are also hurt right. And now you have the situation where you're one good offensive lineman besides David Andrews, who by the way, might retire, and so now you have a huge hole at center that you're filling too. The one guy that you have that that's a solid NFL offensive lineman is a free agent, is going to want the bag. So, like one hundred percent, I'm giving the back to on Wendo. Whether he's playing, god he's playing tackle, I don't care. But the point being they have to find a left tackle. It can't be Trent Brown. You can't go down that road. It can't be Connor mcdermots and Vederian Low's of the world. They need to have a real solution at that position, and the only way that they're going to do it is using a top forty pick on one. That's the only way. So I don't I text you last night and said, I want to talk about the college football playoff.
Speaker 3: I don't know if you want to do it now.
Speaker 1: I do want to ill later.
Speaker 3: All Right, there's guys. You need to watch a tackle because you talk about top fifty. There's a couple guys you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the kid at Washington's pretty good too, right.
Speaker 3: Troy Fatano, Yeah, so he's one of them. We'll get to it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, a couple of guys. So I do want to talk about the current team a little bit. I think that the two biggest things coming out.
Speaker 3: Can I add one more thing on this? On the Walt Harrison thing, everybody says, oh, you know, they can't draft receivers. Harrison is the most can't miss receiver in the last ten years. Like, what a perfect way for them to just kind of hit it is. Let's say it's the same regime back coaching. It's Bill Belichick with Bill Brian Troy Browns wide receivers coach, right, and everybody kind of says they're Marvin Harrison proof, right, Like like, Marvin Harrison is so good, it won't matter. Yeah, are we sure it's not the other way around? Is Marvin Harrison? Then proof is he's so good?
Speaker 1: Yes, I think they can't blow it. I think Mark I don't know. I don't know about that. I think he is now in Patriots luck, like he'll get hurt or something like.
Speaker 3: That, and that's one of the big knocks on it, and they don't handle it well when young receivers get hurt. That's been a long time trend of theirs. Okay, but I'm not worried about his talent. I just the court the receiver. You can't draft the receiver first. It's just not the way that the order of operations works. You're gonna draft Marvin Harrison junior. He's not gonna have a quarterback to throw him the ball. He's not gonna have an offensive line to block for the quarterback. So like, even if it's like a Bailey z appy type guy who might be able to get him the ball with some protection, like, you're not gonna have the protection. So you're gonna have Marvin Harrison Junior standing thirty yards down the field, frustrated.
Speaker 1: It as all hell because he can't get the ball because the quarterback in the offensive line can't get it to him. Like what good does that do? And I get there's like an adding talent argument, and maybe you know long term like eventually you have the quarterback and you have the line and now all of a sudden you have Marvin Harrison Junior. I get that. But now we're looking at it as like Marvin Harrison Junior is going to reach his potential in New England and you're like three or four and now we're gonna have to pay him. And now we're like already kicking that can down the road.
Speaker 3: What I know, you want to get off it. And I keep saying one more thing, but I think it's important for this argument. I think it's good people hear this. You talk about all right, even if you don't take Joelle, you still need to get the tackle like later on right.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: The tricky thing about this is you can probably get the tackle whether you trade back up late in the first you take him with your first second, Like, there's gonna be a couple of good tackles on the board there. That's it. The depth in this tackle class. The guys sitting to go on you know, day three. In this class, a lot of them would be undrafted in previous years. Like, it's just not a deep class at all. Wide receiver. On the other hand, do you know how many wide receivers are currently projected to go in the first round. You don't need to name them all, No, but you met the number we got to move on eight. Yeah, and that's just in the first round. There are guys who are gonna go in the second round. I'll give you one guy for instance, a d Mitchell from Texas. Yeah, Ady Mitchell last year would have been my number one receiver on the board. Two years ago, Ady Mitchell would have been my number one receiver on the board. He's gonna be a second round pick this year. You can get really good receivers outside of the top fifty in this draft. You can get instinct contributors outside of the top fifty. That's not the case of tackle, not at all. And obviously it's not the case of quarterback. It's never been the case of quarterback. So you do have to play the board a little bit. That's just part of it. Okay, So let's talk about that. Forty minutes later, I was a really good conversation.
Speaker 1: Conversation I have.
Speaker 3: I hope people learn something.
Speaker 1: Very never mind.
Speaker 3: No, no, no, no, no, no.
Speaker 1: Don't don't like well actually people, now, all right, the people don't like that. Okay, what were you gonna say? Now, that's what I was gonna say, Like, don't don't you know, don't don't put your nose up to everybody that's upset. Okay. Uh. Anyways, let's talk a little bit about the current team. I think the two the two main things coming out of this game that we have to discuss are basically, is your mind changed? Does your mind does any of this like two out of three wins, and like, let's just take all the feelings about the draft out of it for a second and just look at it in a vacuum. Does it change your mind about Bill Belichick? Does it change your mind about Bailly is happy? Because that that's I think that in the here and now. That's like the questions.
Speaker 3: About the team. Uh no, it doesn't. They scored nineteen points on offense.
Speaker 1: Yeah I know, and they were like three of something on thirty thirteen well eight, oh yeah, give them credit now it's or seven three and something.
Speaker 3: Give them credit. There were three to twelve on third down because the thirteenth was the when they clocked the ball, So okay, you don't need to pick that up. But no, it's because again, it's not move on from Bill because the team is a ten loss team ten plus lost team in twenty twenty three. It's moved on from Bill because the roster has fallen into such a state of despair that this is where they are. I still believe Bill can coach if anything change, I feel stronger about that fantasy world that's not gonna happen where Bill basically goes to Robert and says, you know what, have somebody else Bill the roster. I'm going to Nantucket. I'll see you for OTA's in May. Like I want that even more now. But that's not gonna happen. But I don't want it enough for unwilling to stick with Bill Belichick as the GM. I think they need. I still think they need a fresh voice because you still saw the issues with the roster that have compounded over the last few years flare up in this game. Even though they wont.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I feel like they're just There is something to be said for the fact that at this point they're also just playing worse teams, right Pittsburgh Denver, like there does not they're not the Eagles, right, like they're not They're not Miami in Week two Dallas, when the when the losing really started to to permeate. I would just say that with Bill, I would agree with you that the ideal situation is that he stays up and coaches and hands personnel off to somebody else. I just don't know how.
Speaker 3: But like truly does it not symbolically again, he leaves.
Speaker 1: But I don't know how we realistically execute that because ultimately the personnel guy, let's call it Adam Peters, just for argument's sake, Adam Peters is gonna draft a player and then he's gonna hand that player to Bill, who's then gonna coach him, develop him, and then put him in a role. And Bill's roles in Bill's vision for his football team is not gonna change. So Adam Peters can go out and he can draft a four to two receiver like the Patriots did with Taekwon Thorton, or they can. He can go out and he can draft a Marty Maphu, and Bill is just gonna play Marty map who had safety and he's gonna bench Taekwon Thorton because he can't run routes like that. That's just gonna be. That's it. That's what's gonna end up happening. And how do you it's not about just identify buying talent better, Like I think that that if it was just simply they need to identify talent on the personnel side better, then it would be easy to say, let's put Adam Peters in charge. Let's put John Robinson in charge. Let's put you know, the guy from from Kansas City that can't remember his name, the assistant GM in Kansas City, Let's put him in charge. It would be much easier to say that if Bill was also changing the vision, right, like the vision is the problem. The problem is is that and this kind of relates to my take on Bailey Zappy. The problem is is that their offense right now is jump balls to Devonte Parker, right, and that is an archaic, extinct way of playing offense, and it's why, Yeah, they can make a few big plays down the stretch in a game like this, but like you said, they scored nineteen points, right, and that to get to a back to being an elite offense. You need to change the way that their structural Sure, you need to change the way they are structurally operating offensively. So here's my pitch, and I gave this on PUS. I'm sorry for people that listen to ball shows. Here's my pitch. If I'm not saying I'm advocating for keeping Bill, but if Bill were to stay, and if Robert were just to sit there and say I can't do it like he's the greatest coach of all time, the stability is to at this point of it's just I want it right, like I don't want to completely start from scratch with my football team. I have a couple of different parameters of that one. They need to hire a GM. Bill is losing GM responsibilities. They need to hire a real GM. And it can't be Macro because Macro is just gonna be a puppet for Bill.
Speaker 3: No, it's got to be But here's the thing, and I agree with you on that one hundred percent. It's got to be somebody wh's gonna actually do the job. How many people can really do There aren't that many people on the planet that you can put in there that are going to When Bill says some they're gonna say no, right, No, we're doing it my way.
Speaker 1: Well, that's why it has to be somebody that's done it before.
Speaker 3: I think there's three people realistically that you could hire for that role, and I'm not sure any of them would do it. Thomas de Metroz probably the most realistic option, John Robinson, and then the long shot, but like in theory if his qualifications, his qualifications check out, but I don't think he'd do it. Scott Fuley, yeah, is back in. I hope he doesn't. He's great on TV, but those are probably Is there anybody else that when Bill goes into the draft room and says I want Dallas turn or fourth overall, is gonna say no?
Speaker 1: I'm sure there is, right, Like, I'm sure somebody does have that type of backbone. But ultimately that so here's the thing that that general manager that we're talking about. And again I'm not advocating for keeping Bill. I would still move on as well. But if right, let's just play it out. If they were going to keep him, the GM that was in place answers to ownership. He doesn't answer to Bill, right like his boss needs to be Robert Craft. Yeah, and he needs to have complete control of the fifty three man roster like that's his team, it's his roster. Bill's just coaching Bill at this point. Is Andy Reid? Right? Like you know, Brett Veach is handing Andy Reid a pile of draft picks and here you go, coach, like this is your group. Right, That's what needs would need to happen. I think there probably are people that we don't necessarily know at the top of our heads, that do exist that would have that kind of backbone, but that that's on the Crafts to find that person, right, So that that's item number one, you're handing personnel off item number two. I still think Bill O'Brien's a good coach. If Bill O'Brien is the guy that they want leading the offense, that's fine. But Bill O'Brien and the general manager are running offense. Those two guys are making the personnel decisions on offense. Those two guys are making the schematic, you know what, the direction that we're taking the offense in. From A, A, AN, x's and o's standpoint, they're running offense. Yeah, I don't want Bill anywhere near the offense. I don't want I don't want Tom touch in it.
Speaker 3: Well, that's kind of like what we talked about when we were talking about them hiring an offensive coordinator last year, head coach of the offense, right like Josh mcka.
Speaker 1: So those two guys are gonna be in lockstep of what the vision is, what the personnel needs to be, where the holes are, and then obviously what the schematic direction of the offense is going to be. Item number three and this, Once we get to all three of these, you're gonna see even more how ridiculous this would be for Bill to say yes to this. Right item number three, I'm giving O'Brien full autonomy of his coaching staff on the offensive side of the ball, Like let him like hire his own guys. Okay, he has one of his own guys. It's Will lying the tight ends coach. I don't know who hired Adrian Klem, but Adrian Klem. I want to be sensitive about the fact that it's an illness or a health related situation. Right, So I don't know what's going on with Adrian Klem, but Adrian Clem I think was a Bill higher. I mean, has Bill written all over it right, former player for the page.
Speaker 3: Well, the O'Brien was here, so.
Speaker 1: So I don't know if Adrian Clem is going to be back here simply because of his health situation. So that offensive line coach hire needs to be Bill O'Brien's higher. If Bill O'Brien doesn't feel like Troy Brown and Vinie Conseri Viney Sinceri running backs coach, Troy Brown wide receivers coach, obviously, if he doesn't feel like those two guys are getting the job done, he needs to go get his own guys right. So they I feel like they kind of like told Bill O'Brien like, this is this is your staff, right, Like, this is the guys that you're working with. Figure it out. And I'm not saying that all of those guys are bad coaches or anything like that, but ultimately that's that's not how it should have been done. Like Josh McDaniels had his staff, like Carl Briscilla is his guy, Nick Lombardy, I know he has John har right, it's you know, those are his guys. So I think that they have to get back to doing all that. So a GM that has control of personnel handing over the offense to the GM and the offensive coordinator and allowing the offensive coordinator to hire his own staff. I think I can just like drive the car to the airport for BIA. He's not doing that.
Speaker 3: Your your pitch is basically bills a defensive coordinator that's allowed to call timeouts during the game.
Speaker 1: That's your pitch.
Speaker 3: Nailed it.
Speaker 1: Look, I'm not saying it would be a bad setup, but he's not gonna do that.
Speaker 3: There's no way he would.
Speaker 1: But so that that's how that's how ridiculous that we've gotten to the point where like that's not even feasible, and like that's what it would really realistically need to be, and that that's just not What is a.
Speaker 3: Deep college football term? Uh h, I've actually only seen it written out. I don't know if you're supposed to pronounce it or hci n O. I don't know, hissinko oh head coach and name only. It's when a college football head coach is basically a figurehead and he's not really like he's there. He's calling timeouts on the sideline, he's doing the press conferences.
Speaker 1: But I just wish that, like my whole thing about it is is that I just wish that Bill would embrace being more like what Andy Reid is when in Kansas City, not this year because he's had to take back over the offense because the enemy's not there, but Kansas City with the enemy, like Andy Reid was literally just there for a good time. Like he just would show up to see you. Yeah, he would show up, He'd you know, QC everything, he'd draw fun plays like just let let Bill just like draw pressure schemes, you know, and like a game plan for like Patrick Mahomes and Josh Allen all the time, like right, all this other stuff, I just I don't know at this point, at seventy one years old, Like I don't know if Bill has has it in him anymore to have his hands in so many different things. So you have to empower other people to go out and do some of that stuff. That's that's I think what the bottom line is. It's nothing to do with like me trying to disrespect Bill's football mind, Like he obviously has a fantastic football mind and maybe the best ever. But I think at this point in his life he needs to allow some other people to do some other things. And I just wonder if if he could just embrace that type of role of Andy Reid, Pete Carroll, like these other guys that are just kind of out there and they're making sure that it's a tight ship. They're making sure that that you know, the game plan and everything is getting done the proper way. And then they're also just having fun with scheme right right that that that's that all the like crazy crap that Kansas City does on offense, all that stuff gets cooked up in Andy Reid's mind because he's not focused on you know, signing claiming Marco Wilson off of waivers, right like that, that's not on his plate, like that type of you know, Nathan Rourke like that, that he's not worried about that kind of stuff. Whereas with Bill right now, it's all on Bill. Everything is on Bill to do at all. And I think at this point, maybe he's at his age, he's he's stretched too thin, and I don't think that that's a realistic scenario for him to accept that. Maybe, you if they really feel strongly about bringing back Bill, maybe he accepts like two out of three of those things, right, you know, instead of all of it. But that that would be. My pitch to him is that you need to start giving in to some of these other people, like you need to start giving some power, succeeding some power to some younger guys, some more visionary guys on the offensive side of the ball and allow them to take over because defensively, they're still really well coached defense. And whether you want to give that credit to Bill or the assistance, I think it's both right. But ultimately that's that's where he that's Bill's side of the ball. He's the defense of Gurud and and they're still really good. I mean, they just got Russell Wilson benched and probably cut by the Denver Broncos because by the third quarter the guy was seeing ghosts as Bill, you know, was scheming up pressure against the Broncos one of their better pressure games of the year, just in terms of cooking it up right, and that I think is is something that Bill can still really do at a high level. With Bailey ZAPPI I mentioned this earlier, and I feel like this is a this is kind of segues into it with me. I think with Bailey Zappy, I am no longer going to sit here and tell you that Bailey Zappy is. You know, I'm not gonna take him lightly anymore. I feel like in the in the off season and training camp because of what we saw, and I still stand by what we saw at practice, But between last year and and the training camp this year, I will fully midhand up that I was very dismissive of Bailey Zappi. I was like, this guy is not it. I don't want to talk about it. I don't want to entertain Bailey Zappi as a star arting quarterback for the Patriots over Mac Jones. I'm not doing that. It's Max team that sort of thing. I'm opening my mind up to embracing the FEVA right and embracing Zappy a little bit. But I still think he's a backup quarterback. Like I'm still not saying like we're hitching our wagon to Bailey Zappy. But he's got a little bit of something something like he can move around a little bit, He's got a little bit more gun slinger off platform, you know, broken extended play type of stuff to him than Mac Jones does. He just looks more natural playing quarterback like Mac Jones looks like a quarterback that's been drilling quarterback drill since the sixth grade, right, Like it's just like a quarterback robot right at this point, where when things happen in the course of a game with Mac Jones that he's not expecting to happen, like a pressure breaks through or they're playing a different coverage and then he self, you know, implodes, right right, Whereas with Bailey Zappy, he's got a little bit more of like a natural instinct in playmaking gene to the game. And I think that this offense needed that, Like they needed somebody that was just gonna play a little bit looser, and that is why I think that they've been a little bit better with Bailey ZAPPI.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he kind of looks like Mac did his rookie year a little bit, I think before he obviously, you know, had to spend two years behind that offensive line.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I like a big question this week has been with the Patriots be better if Bailey Zappie had started from week one. I don't think so, because of what you said, Like he struggled so much in camp, and he even talked about yesterday how it took him some time to learn the offense and get comfortable in the offense and could they have made the switch a little bit sooner, yes, But I think at that point, by the time Zappi was ready, they were who they were right, and it was they were not going to be a playoff team. And it's funny a lot of the same people complaining about draft positioning are the same people complaining, oh, they should have gone to Zafi sooner. Well, which one do you really want or do you just want to complain? I think with him, And it is the perfect year to talk about this. I think people think that it's like, for example, in Cincinnati, that Joe Burrow has this like vastly different skill set than a guy like Jake Browning has, And that's not necessarily the case. It's the biggest divider between a guy like Joe Burrow and a guy like Jake Browning or a guy like any of the other. Like when you have the class of like the Kirk Cousins right in that group and the Startersho've gone down this year and Deshaun Watson and then you have like Josh Dobbs and Jake Browning in that group, it's consistency, Like you don't get this far without being able to do some pretty spectacular stuff with the football, just in any regard to be a backup quarterback in the NFL, Tim Boyle had five touchdowns thirteen interceptions of the Yukon he's in the NFL. Part of it's because he's friends with Aaron Rodgers, but like, you have to be able to have some level of ability. The difference is like the throw Jake Browning made to t Higgins the other week, outstanding throw, but Jake Browning only makes that throw two of every ten times, three of every ten times, right, whereas Joe Burrow makes it eight or nine out of every ten times. That's the difference. When you have a guy like Bailey's Appy, Like I think Bailey's Appy's one of these guys. Tommy DeVito's another one right where Tommy DeVito was the hottest name in football for two weeks there and now he's benched because yes, he can do it. You don't get this far without being able to do some of those things. But he can't. He couldn't do it regularly and kind of once teams figured out what his comfort zone was, he didn't really have a plan B to go off of. I think that's who Bailey Zappy is, Yeah, he does have some abilities, and I do think he's gonna be in this league for a long time as a backup, as a bridge starter, like you know, a guy like Jacoby Verssett when he came out of the draft, they compare him to Chase Daniel, like he's gonna be around forever.
Speaker 1: Because I like, right now, I feel like he's like you know, Chase Daniel for might be before some people that actually listen to our show. Yeah, i'd like Taylor Heineke like another guy that I feel like that counts around as a back and there's.
Speaker 3: Absolutely nothing wrong with that. But you see it the splits between the first half and the second half, and even in that game he had some miss throws, the miss reads. Yeah, it's just not consistent enough for to be like, all right, this is the guy we're gonna build around, this is the guy we're gonna Yeah.
Speaker 1: I think consistency is exactly the word that I would use, or like sustainability, because I think you can see it just in games from one half to the other or going back to like the Charger game versus this Broncos game. The biggest difference between the Charger game and this Broncos game was that DeVante Parker made the catches in the Broncos game. So in the against the Chargers, Bailey Zappi was one for five on deep passes. Against the Broncos, he was three for three. Like that, that's the difference.
Speaker 3: And some of those were like, I mean, one of those ones, he throws it just to a spot and Parker gets it, Like, I wouldn't say it's an outstanding throw, It's just Parker Parker.
Speaker 1: Parker, Parker makes a play this week. Pop Douglas to play down the field this week. But there's a reason why those are called fifty to fifty balls. Some weeks it's gonna work. In some weeks it's not. And we see that half to half with Bailey Zappi. We see that from the Charger game to the Broncos game, like you can see it in tangible evidence of one half it works against the Steelers, the second half it doesn't work against the Steelers. And I feel like that's the way that his game is right now. So in order for me to really be like this guy deserves a chance to compete next year for the starting job, I need to see his consistency especially in the short game, which is where he's had issues in camp, and he's had those issues have continued into the regular season. He had three or four opportunities to beat the Blitz last week where they actually had it drawn up correctly, They had the hot and they had the protection going the right direction and he just airmails a throw, you know, second drive of the game, he has Pop Douglas in the flat and he just rushes the throw and it's nowhere near him. He had Pop Douglas later on in the game on a zero Blitz and the throw was nowhere near him. The play to Zeke in the flat. They ended up hitting it for the touchdown later on that it was a tough catch because the ball placement wasn't perfect and it was an open throw against the Blitz. That all he's got to do is put it on Zeke Elliott there and it might be a touchdown and instead it's a drop. And like those little things like that, if he can clean that stuff up and he can be more consistent, you know, he went to the podium yesterday and he brought up the Pharaoh Brown play down the field that he felt like he missed. You're gonna miss some reeds like that in the NFL. You know, it happens to you needed to. You were a little bit sped up. The ball came out a little bit sooner than you wanted to. But once the ball comes out, everybody's converging on Zeke Elliott. And now all of a sudden, it looks like Farroh Brown is wide open down the field. I'm not gonna knock him for all those little that those types of misses the reeds, as you know you would put it. It's more the throws that are an issue. Like when he gets it's and he's got Pop Douglas and Douglas sits down and is right, you know, five yards away from him, and he throws it all the way over here, Like you can't have that. Like he's got to be able to make those times.
Speaker 3: And the other thing is, and I think the reason maybe so many people are high on him because he does look much better than mac Jones obviously, and he's more confident in poised than Mac right, But the other the other part about it is, and this this is like better than mac Jones can't be the bar. It just can't. Like that's not that doesn't mean, yeah, right, And I think one of the big differences is Mac would get a rusher in his face and he'd throw a pick and he would just he couldn't well no, no, no, but here's my point. He couldn't get There were times too many times where he couldn't get the ball out of his hand fast enough. Yeah, and I think Bailey's appy. He's getting sacked a lot, and I think he's turning a lot of those into sacks. So it looks better because he's getting sacked instead of getting picked and maybe they go three and out, but hey, he's not throwing all these interceptions.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean his turnover worthy played rate is lower, right, and their explosive play rate has sky, right, But i'm.
Speaker 3: His turnover worth he plays play rate is lower, but he's taking a ton of sacks. And it's now, can you go get the guy that instead of turning those empty rushes into sacks, is gonna be able to break away and do something with it? Like that's the next step.
Speaker 1: I said, He's done that a little bit too, though, Like his pocket mobility is definitely a little bit but not.
Speaker 3: I still think that there's times where he's just holding the ball way too long.
Speaker 1: Maybe. I I feel like his pocket mobility is probably his best trait, like his ability to bounce around the pocket and move off his spot and reset, Like the throw to Pop Douglas. You know, he has the rusher coming off the edge and he just steps through the pocket and makes a throw. I thought his best, you know, bit of pocket mobility was the little checkdown to Zeke on the game winning drive. Vederian logets spun around by the edge rusher there and he's able to just kind of bob and weave out of the sack and then just make a little check down. That's a five yards that you know, that makes it a sixty yard field goal instead of a fifty six, Right.
Speaker 3: I just, I just he's You don't think there's still some like real deer in headlights moments him.
Speaker 1: Not in this game, No, may maybe a little bit in Kansas City because they had, you know, Kansas City. I thought a lot of the issues that they had with picking up pressure were or pre snap mental things right, like setting mike points and things like that. And there were guys that I don't think he expected to be free that were free, like on the corner blitz like he didn't expect the corner blitz to come, and so he's you know, standing there and it's coming off his backside and he just never sees it coming, right, And so those types of plays. I see that. But I think that his his ability to move around the pocket, even with Mac at his best, I think is significantly better than Mac Jones.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and but again, like that's not the bar. I still just think it's been the year of the backup quarterback, right, all these guys having their fifteen minutes, Josh Dobbs, Tommy DeVito, Yeah, outside of Joe Flacco, which is its own thing. Yeah, I mean, I just I feel like Bailey's appy, that's you know, he's having us fifteen minutes right now. He's where Tommy DeVito was two weeks ago. He's where Josh Dobbs was a month ago.
Speaker 1: I could agree more. I he's got a six game sample size because he's gonna start the last two games of the year, right, so he's gonna have a six game sample size. And that's a lot bigger, obviously than the two games sample size that we got last year. So in six games, that's almost half a season, or at least a third of a season. I think we're in a position where we can really say is this a real thing or is this a flash in the pan. He's gonna play Buffalo, and then he's gonna play a pretty good Jets defense the week after that. Those are two a playoff team and a good defense. If he goes toe to toe with Josh Allen. Now Mac Jones did in Week seven. He went he won a game against Josh Allen going toe to toe with him. So I'm not saying that it's something Mac has never done, but I there's gonna just you wait, like there's gonna be a groundswell of people that are are gonna really be like why not? Why not? Bailey Zappi? And I just wanted us to kind of lay out right now, like why not Bailey Zappi? Like what are the biggest reasons? All right, let's take some phone calls and then we'll get to three up redown. Patty's been hanging on. What's up, Patty?
Speaker 4: What's going on? Guys? Can you hear me?
Speaker 1: Yes? We got you?
Speaker 4: All right, I'll take you out Bluetooth. So it's interesting what you guys were talking about as far as like the possibility of Bill coming back, because that's what I wanted to ask you. I mean, one thing we said, and we I mean, like the collective fans and what we've talked about on you before the season started. We said, if this team's gonna have great season, the mac Jones needs to take that next step. And it hasn't happened. So offensively, we're anep because the quarterback sucks and they made the switch way too late, which who knows what would happen, but they probably would have looked very similar. That being said, if mister Kraft does bring Belichick back, and I don't see a scenario where he brings them back and he's not the general manager, I mean he's got to say, Bill, look, we took the quarterback and he stunk up the plate. That's why that's why we that's why we suck here. We have to take a quarternick. We have to take another quarterback. And I mean, do you think do you think Phil would get his candies in a bunch if that was a case or do you think you do you think he recognizes what happened in twenty twenty one. And I'll leave it with that, and great show guys is all.
Speaker 1: Thanks Patty. So here here's two parts of that question. I feel like, one, do I think that there's a chance that Bill is back, Yes, because I think just putting myself in in robber craft shoes, I think it's a lot easier to in the moment when the season's happening in like, let's just take Germany, because I know that that's the top current report, right, Like that was the final straw. You're sitting there in Germany. Mac Jones and Bailey's Abby just threw picks on back to back drives to lose the game and what's basically a home game. A lot invested into that game in terms of the organization and all that kind of stuff, and it's just it's just a terrible game, right, and you lose. It's a lot easier to come off of that and just say we need the fire bill right right than it is to get to January eighth. And Bill comes into your office to have that meeting that they have every single year of resetting, you know, state of the Union, Like what are we going to do? And Bill sitting across the table, like we're sitting across the table from each other, right now and to look Bill in the eyes and say you're fired, like you know, like, I think that that's we have to just look at it from a human perspective and say that that is to tell the greatest head coach of all time, a guy that's won you six super Bowls, a guy that's had the unparalleled success that Bill Belichick has had here in New England, to sit across the table from that guy and say you're out, I think is a lot easier said than done. So yes, I think there's a chance that they get cold feet about the whole thing.
Speaker 3: And I think there's I think winning games down the stretch is only gonna help. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and that that I think is tough. Uh to answer the quarterback question. Uh, I think that that's I think that's gonna be Bill's argument. I think Bill's gonna go into that meeting and say, our quarterbacks stick, like you know, that's that's what the problem was the problem was, is that that we don't have a good quarterback, Like, look at all these one score losses. Look at all these losses because we turned the ball over like crazy, Like you can you can talk yourself into I know a lot of the pro Zappi people have done this with Zappy like flipping games. Right, if you had better quarterback play, like you beat the Giants, you beat the Chargers, you beat the Colts in Germany. Quarterback like you do you Yeah, all of a sudden, you can talk yourself into well, actually, like the rest of this roster, Robert was really like a nine or ten win team, but we didn't have the quarterback kept on shooting us in the foot and that's what that's how it unraveled on us. Like, yeah, obviously you're not gonna flip the Dallas and New Or games, but the Raiders, the Colts, you know, the Chargers, the Giants. That's four wins right there. That if you told me, like you had Justin Herbert playing quarterback instead of Mac Jones, you could probably convince somebody that that you could flip those games. And that's exactly what I think Bill Belichick is going to say.
Speaker 3: Well, the problem is I think he's going to say and look, at the end of the year, Bailey's appy stopped turning the ball over. I don't think he's going to go in and say I need a new quarterback. I think he's going to say, ZAPPI didn't turn the ball over. That's the only thing that matters for us at the quarterback position. He doesn't turn it over. Let me get back at it. Let me keep building up this defense, let me rebuild the offensive line. Here we go, because Evan, we've talked about this on the show. His whole idea is a dominant defense, an offense that just doesn't turn. They got shut out six nothing by the Chargers, and he was talking about how the the defense didn't get them good enough field position. Yeah, right, the offensive score point. He comes out and he blames the defense, right, So I absolutely see that as a as a chape thing where he goes in he basically says, all right, Bailey's Appy's not going to turn the ball over, so the offense will be what I needed to be. Let me keep adding to the defense, let me fix the offensive line a little bit. I think there's a real chance if he comes back. You see the same offseasons last year where they add pieces to the defense, they tanker on the margins with the offense, and they just basically do the same offseason they just did around Bailey's Appy instead of around Mac Jones. That would it's not what I would do. If Bill comes back, it would not surprise me in the slightest.
Speaker 1: I don't think that that's on the table. I understand that we have to, like realistically look at it. But we talked about it.
Speaker 3: If you bring Bill back, and bringing Bill backwarts at all? And if it, why is Bill going to change? If Bill comes back? Why is this year suddenly the wake up call that everything's going to be different? If I do that point, I don't just walk away.
Speaker 1: I don't know if it will be a wake up call that he necessarily has on his own. I think that that has to be the agreement between him and ownership if there is a decision to come back, just kind of like last year, I think that they thought hiring Bill O'Brien was going to fix everything that this year, I think.
Speaker 3: That one psion. So what's the one? So he gets one concession? Last year was O'Brien? Is it the quarterback? This year? Is it tackle?
Speaker 1: Is it receiver? Yeah? I think what it would be being generally being more aggressive with adding offense, Like your Bill, your defense is set right, like you have your guys on defense. If you want to, you know, re sign some of the guys on the margins. You know that's not gonna affect our caps. So like, go ahead if you want to resign Kyle Duggar, Like that's probably the biggest money I would spend.
Speaker 3: But I think it's gonna at that point, you're just gonna get tackles. You're gonna get another running back and you might get a tight end and that's it, Like you're not I I don't.
Speaker 1: Think I will and that, but that would be my putt right like that you have to be more aggressive.
Speaker 3: But but I I think I mean he he he was on radio yesday and he raved about Bailey's Abbey, like raved about him. I think with Zappi's showing him right now, even in that Chiefs game, I think what he's seeing from Bailey z Appy now, like there's chance if he's back, Bailey's Appy is the unquestioned starter coming into camp next year.
Speaker 1: Oh I don't think so. I don't because I don't think organization would go for that. But I I is there a chance. But but this is my point, this is there a chance that it's Bailey Zappy. And I know you hate to hear this, but like bo Nicks, like it's it's Bailey Zappi.
Speaker 3: It's and Bailey Zappi basically, but like this is the but but this is my point.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's not gonna happen.
Speaker 3: Is there a world where okay, and I'm saying, like ownership should absolutely have that directive. I don't disagree with you on that. At that point, does Bill say, fine, trade me? At that point, Bill say, you're not dictating how I handle the quarterback position.
Speaker 1: That's but it's not how I do it. It's not just quarterback. That's my point though, Right, it's not just quarterback. It's it's signing A T. Higgins. It's being more aggressive in the in the.
Speaker 3: He's gonna go to them and say, but he's gonna he's gonna come back and say, but we don't need Higgins. We want to run the ball, we want to play physical, we don't need this deep threat. We want to just here's the door. Like I that's my point, and that's my point. I don't think those two things ultimately end up. It's one or the other. Bill's back. Bill's back to do it his way. They're gonna say, we want you to be better on offense. He's gonna say, fine, but I want to be better at offense the way I want to play offense.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I see that's not good enough for me.
Speaker 3: Well then there you go.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I just don't think you're gonna suddenly turn Bill Belichick into Sean McVay. Maybe you will at that point, at that point, he'll go be Bill Belichick elsewhere I think as and you could argue like he has ever read to do that, and maybe that's what he should do, but I just don't see that happening.
Speaker 1: All right, Eddie is in LA. What's that? Betty's up?
Speaker 5: Guys? I know I'll to talk for this team right now is about the offense. But I'm don't gonna be wrong. Obviously that should be the talk. And Evan, like, I think in a perfect world, if we were in one, obviously this upcoming draft would be all offense. But I can't help but think that we need at least depth pieces on defense. And I'm not saying he's the first round take on a on defense obviously not, but maybe like the later round picks, especially like on the D line, because I know.
Speaker 4: Christian Barmer is like he's coming up right now.
Speaker 5: But like and Bocha is also good. Betch Wise also good, but those guys are kind of getting, you know, a little bit up there with the age, and I would I just think it'd be like a good idea to take a backup d line, backup corners obviously that could like learn like the D lineman can learn from Gotcha, they can learn from Lawrence guy, they can learn from Dietrich Wise, maybe sit behind them for like a year at least, like they could learn a few moves, learn this, learn that, And I just think it could be so beneficial for the future. So I got for you guys. I'll let you guys talk about that a few as well.
Speaker 1: Okay, thank you, thanks Eddie. Yeah, I mean look that you still obviously need to keep the cupboard stocked on defense, but I think the defensive line point like that's what Keon White is here for, right right, Like they drafted ke On White to develop him behind those guys. Could I gonna be blue in the face about them taking an edge guy in the fourth round, Like, no.
Speaker 3: Well you will be, but no, you will.
Speaker 1: Depends on what it depends on what they do in the first three.
Speaker 3: I guess I think that there's one starting caliber kind of need on defense, and that's free safety, and that's where not the first round pick, but if if they went there in the third round or you know, top one hundred, top one fifty pick premium contract, that to me is the one big needs a starting free sete. It just yeah, they're gonna have a couple. I will hang on because I actually want to ask you something. They're gonna have a couple other ancillary needs. Uh, they're gonna need another boundary corner. They're gonna need like a third rotational boundary corner. That guy you can get later on or you can get in free agency. They're probably gonna need another depth pass rusher. Here's the one really interesting one. And nobody's really talking about this right now. I think we touched on it briefly a show or two of them. But this is one of the first bit after you know, whoever is making the decisions first they got to decide just making the decisions whoever. That is one of the first big decisions that person has to make. And this is a tough one. Is what to do with Matthew Judon. He is gonna be thirty two. Yeah, he's coming off this injury. He has no guaranteed money in his contract next year, Yeah, the final year.
Speaker 1: Gonna want to He's gonna want some money.
Speaker 3: He is going to on a new deal. Uh, if they trade him, they open up or cut him.
Speaker 1: Actually it's the same. They open up five million dollars in cab cap spaces. Is that doesn't matter. Okay, they're gonna have one hundred million dollars in Okay. But the point being, like, what do you do you give Matthew jud On a new deal? Do you see if you can get value from him? Do you trade him?
Speaker 3: Do you just outright release him to avoid the whole thing if they move on for Matthew Judon and let's say josh U j goes now pass rusher is a premium need Now pass Rusher, you're and that's why I know you don't want to hear it. But if Bill's still in charge.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna jump across the table at you right now. Two years ago just like what are we doing? Like okay, so you you just you're worried about like what like that they're not going to be able to sack the quarterback now they're gonna be able to get to him.
Speaker 3: For two years ago, when they had a really good starting left guard and traded him for no reason and then use the first round pick to replace him.
Speaker 1: God, it's just this is the problem with this team though. And I think to Eddie's call, I hear you that that they that they need to keep the cupboard stocked on defense. They don't have the luxury to operate like that anymore. They have immediate holes, left tackle, quarterback, number one wide receiver. These are things that they need now and I and maybe five years ago, ten years ago, they could have operated in this scenario where they draft Nate Solder in the first round knowing that he's probably not gonna play because Matt Lighte is going to retire. They don't have that luxury.
Speaker 3: Scenes this is this is where I'm worried for. Like Bill comes in says, all right, it's the year two early or too late thing. We're moving on from Jude on and boom, I can get Dallas Turner and replace him. That's what I'd be worried about with Bill cop back.
Speaker 1: But that they can't think that way.
Speaker 3: I know the I and that's why I said them their biggest But isn't that isn't that wouldn't that be if nothing changes, wouldn't that be their approach if if if.
Speaker 1: I'm rkk, i am, I am livid if they do, And that's my point, and that's my point. I fire him on this.
Speaker 3: But that that lines up, all right, that that thing aside, that thing aside, Yeah, do you bring Jude on back?
Speaker 1: I bring Jude on back simply because I feel like this team and this other than I like identifying talent personnel wise, I think the bigger issue with this team actually hasn't necessarily been recently in the draft, the twenty twenty two draft, like aside, right, it hasn't necessarily been solely talent evaluation. It's been the fact that they constantly are chasing their tails at premium positions, like they have not solved tackle. So every freaking year it's just a a you know, roll of dex of tackles that were just cycling through. Now it's now it's Trent Brown, Now it's Connor McDermott, now it's Vederian Low. Now we're kicking on when you back outside, like we're just we're constantly chasing our tail at tackles. They're constantly chasing their tail at guard like they just blew up their interior offensive line for no freaking reason. And now they're using a first round pick on a guard, a fourth round pick on a guard. The guard they're they're they're just going crazy, right because of a hole that they created wide receiver. They let Jacoby Myers walk, So then they have they have to pay Juju Smith Schuster because they let Jacoby Myers walk instead of just adding to Jacoby Meyers. We're constantly filling holes. And when you're constantly filling holes, your boat is constantly taking on water and you're just trying to plug the holes in the boat. And I feel like for this team getting rid of Matthew Judhon and let's you have a let's just say, the only way that I'm like sitting here saying, all right, I get it is if you have a whole new regime next year and we're completely blowing it out and we're we're truly starting from scratch, and we're saying to ourselves like, this is this is a rebuilt right three year project? Right, this is a three year projects?
Speaker 3: What good does cheote on?
Speaker 1: Do you during that? Fine? But I just feel like we're constantly chasing our tails at so many different positions, and they don't have the luxury at the top of the draft to do the year too early instead of a year too late thing, and and draft guys like that. And I feel like they did do that last year with Keon White, with Marty Mapu with City. So with all the light, those guys are all and it didn't help the team in the heid.
Speaker 3: I was a twenty twenty four draft. That draft was for twenty twenty four. So that's why I'm saying, like I just had this thought the other day when I was looking at chet on his contract, Like old school Bill Belichick, this is one hundred percent what he would do. I would bring that to Jude on back. I think he's a valuable voice in the locker room. I think he can still play. Yeah, you know, I'm not saying his injury wasn't serious, but like it's easy to come back from elbow injury and like you know, a knee injury, hip injury, back injury, something like that. So I bring him back. I would bring him back, and I'd actually give him new money. I wouldn't just move money this time to avoid the situation. But that is going to be a decision that has to be made here that's coming up. It's a fair point, all right, let's just sorry to bring it back like that would be. The free safety is the only true starting caliber need unless Jude on walks, then you add defensive end as well.
Speaker 1: Jeez. All right, let's do three up, three down real quick, and then we'll rapid fire through our rest of our list here. All right, I'll just like get out of those. I'll get it out of the way. Number one up is Christian Barmore. Christian Barmore. I've seen some really good defensive games from Patriots in my time covering the team since eighteen. You know, a couple of those Tefan Gilmour games in twenty nineteen is Defensive Player of the Year campaign come to mind. You know, he just absolutely erasing guys out of games and things like that. This was up there. To me, it was one of the best defensive performances I've ever seen in person, like with my own eyes. Right, I'm not talking about like Von Miller in the Super Bowl in twenty fifteen, or like Lawrence Taylor in the eighties with the Giants, Like I'm not talking about that. I'm just saying in my time covering the team with my own eyes at the game, Christian bar Moore three sacks in the same quarter, two stuffs, I thought, the very first turnover on downs after the fumble, he basically took over the line of scrimmage for two straight plays and was the reason why the Broncos didn't score on that drive. Absolutely dominant, dominant performance. And I think we're at the point with Christian bar Moore where I think we can call him a star in this league. He is a star player. He's been doing it all year long, and he's gonna be a building block for this team moving forward. This is by far the most kind of exciting thing that's come from this season. Yeah, is that they have a pillar, I believe on the defensive line with Christian.
Speaker 3: Bar He's finally healthy and he's playing super well and it's fun to see. And this is the guy you saw coming out of Alabama. Everybody was surprised he fell out of the first round. This is why, because the three down game wrecking ability was apparent, and he really wasn't healthy his first two years, and now he is and you're seeing it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you get his run defense has just improved dramatically. He's stronger, I think at the point of attack than he was before. I'm sure there's some technique things that he's fixed his health, but he he always had the explosiveness off like his get off and his lateral quickness and things like that. But now his ability to just like hold up blocks or run through blocks or that, just the power in his upper body. He has so much more pop in his hands than he did early on in his career. Just a dominant game wrecker. I would encourage all all Patriots fans to hashtag Pro Bowl vote Christian Barmore because he should be in the Pro Bowl, all right, Number two up for me. Gotta give it to him, Gotta give him his flowers. I'm gonna give it to Bailey Zappi. I thought Bailey Zappi didn't wasn't perfect in this game. The fumble in the very first play of the game. I maybe would put like half of that on him for holding the ball a little bit too long. But I also thought that a good offensive line allows him to come off the first raid and get to pop Douglas over the middle of the field. But they don't have that kind of time. Other than that, play. Yeah, we can nitpick some of the miss throws that we mentioned earlier against the Blitzes, and you know, a couple of misses there. But when you put up these kinds of numbers and you play the way that he played, and then you also have you know, the plays late in the game to win the game. I thought, Bailey ZAPPI played one of the best quarterback games. You know, Mac Jones against Buffalo is still the best quarterback game of the year, but I thought that this might have been the second best quarterback game of the year.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he was. He was definitely good in this game. More good than bad, I think. Yeah, all right, who was your second Miles Bryant? Miss Bryant bailed him out in this game. And him playing competitively against Courtland Sutton was early before Sutton got hurt. Was good to see. And I just didn't leave the field, made number of big plays. I think, if there's a game to point too, where with my Bryan's value is to the Patriots, that was it put him anywhere, heady, instinctive exactly. He just always around the ball. I thought he was. He was excellent.
Speaker 1: Yeah, his man coverage numbers are still terrible. Like I'm just gonna still can't cover anybody in man coverage.
Speaker 3: He's the same. I still think he's a safety. I still truly believe he's a safety.
Speaker 1: Yeah he's he's a nickel, but he's like a nickel safety. He's not a nickel corner, right, And there's a difference, Like, yeah, nickel corners are guys that can man up slot receivers. He's not one of those guys. It's interesting because he's had a really good Patriots career and like kind of an upward ascension here with this is being I think his best year, but he really probably belongs in like his own defense. Like if you if he was playing in like a Seattle three system or like Fangio's like quarter to quarter half system, like he would be so much better. But because the Patriots play forty percent man coverage, like he just has to play some man to man and he's just not his strong suit. But he's a nickel safety and like a Fangio defense, and he'd be like really good at that, like somebody like Chauncey Gardner Johnson for example, or or along those lines. They just have they have to play him in this spot and it's not it's not exactly like his best natural position, and I think that's a big reason why he gets picked on in man cover.
Speaker 3: A little breaking news Patriots move practice and such.
Speaker 1: I love that. Thank god, I was not going out there all right. Third Star, I kind of combined two guys here, Pop Douglas and DeVante Parker. I thought both those guys made some really high level plays that we haven't really seen the Patriots receivers make. DeVante Parker, for all of his warts and all of his issues and all of his limitations as a separator, going and making two big catches on Patrick Sartan, one of the top five cornerback in this league, and doing it with the game on the line late that that's that's some pretty that's ballsy like that. That's some gutsy play right there. Bailey Zappi and him, I don't know if you want to call it. You know, they checked it, alerted it to that fade on the game winning drive with the game on the line, in a tie game on the road, and they checked to a fade to Devonte Parker against maybe the best cornerback in the NFL, and they make the play. You gotta give him their flowers for that like that. That was a really impressive play and even though he had the drop, I just think Pop Douglas is such a breadth of fresh air for this football team. Finally, a receiver that moves at a different speed than other guys, that's faster than people that can get open at the top of the route, the whip route, the slant. Obviously made a great catch on the forty one yard catch as well, But just having that slot receiver. He's a different type of slot than like a Jacobi certainly because of the size, but even then like an Edelman Ara Welker. I feel like he's mostly like a Dionne branch Ish type of player. But just watching a Patriots receiver be able to like run away from coverage and get open against mant to man, it's for he.
Speaker 3: Was really good in this game. He was and he continues to be. I've said this before, the Patriots offense needs to look different next year. What exactly it looks like, I don't know. I mean, it depends on so many things, but whatever coach is designing it or whatever quarterbacks put into it, like there needs to be a role for Pop Dougas in a significant role. He's the best receiver. Yeah, and I mean he's their leading receiver right now. Nobody has more catches of the yards and overall, like ahead of Hunter Henry, ahead of everybody.
Speaker 1: All Right, you got anymore?
Speaker 3: I got two more? Mac Wilson another very good game. I thought it was interesting on Tuesday that Girod Mayo basically said that they misused him last year, that they were playing him out of position last year, and he's playing some of the best football of his NFL career looking like the guy he did at Alabama as a complimentary pass rusher. He's a guy I wonder if you expand that role next year, if Josh j doesn't come back and he becomes that guy opposite Matthew Judah. Yeah, he is it even discount I mean, he looks really good right now.
Speaker 1: So he hasn't played enough snaps, all right, but he's only playing like twenty five snaps a game or something like that. He's just making the most of the snaps.
Speaker 3: That he's a guy that should be back.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean he's not. He's going to be affordable, Like, it's not like it's gonna cost you a ton of money.
Speaker 3: And then so I didn't have Pop Douglas because I just I think you saw great stuff from the majority of rookie class in this game. I think you saw the rookie class really start to come on. Keon White has had like three good games in a row now, and I think, remember get a really good camp. Was good the first couple of weeks. He got that concussion, right, I think it probably took him a little bit of time toward his way back from that. But he looks fully healthy out. He's playing super well. Marte Mapu forces a turnover for the second week in a row. You love to see that. And he's playing more linebacker now, which is good.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 3: Obviously, Pop Douglas, you know, had a big game. I thought City So played pretty well. Yeah, Antonio Maffi stepping in for his you know, the most significant snaps he's had in a while. He could have been better, but like he was, it wasn't as bad as it looked. I'd say a month, Oh you have him as down. Yeah all right, I maybe the bar was set solow from like last time he played. But yeah, and then he Bryce Baringer I thought had a really good game too. Ryland was kind of up and down. But I think for the most point.
Speaker 1: Oh, come on, how about Chad the show I've ever heard?
Speaker 3: But he missed, he missed, he missed two kicks. So he's not an up or down for me. He's it's in between.
Speaker 1: But I think I'm happy.
Speaker 3: I'm happy for Oh no, no, you're wrong, I'm happy for the guy.
Speaker 1: But and Bryce Behinger saying how about Chad.
Speaker 3: That's a great clip.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they the two of them together, it reminds me a ton of Jeremy Swamon and Linas Olmark. There's a little bit of that, just like two like nut jobs that like are just made for each other. It's just great. I think those two guys who knows, like what what the future holds and if both of them are going to succeed here. Both of them aren't like whatever, but their relationship is pretty funny, Like they're like just two peas in a pod.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but I think you saw great stuff from the rookie class.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I would agree with that. All right, let's go to the downs. My number one down is the guy that you just said, wasn't that bad? Antonio Maffi offensive line guy, Antonio Maffi three holds, a quarterback hit and three hurries in this game he.
Speaker 3: Called for three holds.
Speaker 1: I put, Oh yeah, I put Antonio Maffi and James Ferrence in just a left guard puzzle.
Speaker 3: So I had James Ferrence.
Speaker 1: They're just in the left guard puzzle for me. And it is very I don't know if it's like a good thing, a bad thing, an alarming thing. I don't know how to feel about it. But the fact that that there was that steep of a drop off from Cole Strange to what they have behind Cole Strange, I think just speaks to the whole problem in general with the team right now. That like losing Cole Strange and losing Connor McDermott was like this huge travesty for the Patriots, right And we're not exactly talking about Matt Ltton logan makings here, okay, And the fact that that was the case was troubling. There was and maybe it means that Cole Strange, you know, I started giving cole Strange some love, like a couple of good games in a row. Seemed to be playing better before he got hurt. Maybe cole Strange was starting to turn a corner. And that's why my eyes are like so alarmed by what I saw left guard with these two guys. The strip sack on the first play of the game was the least competitive snap of offensive line play I've seen all Yeah, from James ference just absolutely brutal. And then Mafi, Mafi's just not ready, Like Mafi's just not ready his foot speed, He's gonna have to lose some weight and he's gonna have to get it. He's gonna have to improve his quickness and his foot speed in order to play in the league. So those two guys at left guard. Maybe it's a positive that Cole Strange is better than we thought. Maybe it's a negative that their offensive line depth is so bad. But both of them were bad in this game.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I just had to like to run the run game. Yeah, they ran for outside of the end a round. I think it was to here somewhere two point five yards per carry against a team that was last in the legs over five yards per carry.
Speaker 1: So I think we're in the in the category now though, because the Chiefs were not a good run defense either, and they couldn't run the ball. They couldn't run the ball against the worst run defense in the league in the in the Broncos. I think we're just at the category or at the point now where the Patriots are in that category of priority Number one for every team is we're.
Speaker 3: Not stopped to run. Yeah, they're just they're loading up in the box and Derek.
Speaker 1: So that's why I'm basically just throwing out like opponents like run stats, like where they rank and stuff like that, because I don't think it's an apples to apples when they play play the Patriots, like Zeke Elliott is not beating the Denver Broncos. Like That's Vance Joseph's line when he opens the meeting, right is, we're not going to just let them turn the ball, you know, turn around and hand the ball off to Zeke. Like, we're not going to let them do that. So you had you had run game? Yeah, okay. Number two, Trent Brown, I just I I think we can seriously say, and I know I've ragged on him a lot on this show, but I'm at the point now with Trent Brown where I like he should be done as a Patriot, Like he shouldn't play again as a Patriot. A quarterback hit a hurry, two stuffed runs to his side of the field, gave up on the Taekwon Thornton jet sweep, just flat out gave up, didn't play through the whistle. If Dante Scarnecia was still here, I can only imagine Dante Scarnekia.
Speaker 3: Well, I don't think Trent Brown would be playing with still.
Speaker 1: It's his effort has gone way down. I think his weight has gone up again. Like I don't think he's you know, as in good as shape as he was at the beginning of the year. He is a good left tackle, a starting caliber left tackle in this league when he's locked in, but he he's a mental case, like you just you can't keep that guy on on the on the bandwagon. Yeah, and at a four and eleven team, he's exactly the type of guy that's gonna jump off and and that's exactly what happens. They just need to move on from that type of player with that type of attitude, and they need to have somebody like at this point, it's I'm almost like bummed out that Connor mcdermot's on IR because, like I would rather just see Connor McDermott try his ass off for seventy plays then continue to put Trent Brown.
Speaker 3: Maybe you'll get that from Vederian Love maybe.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Like I would just rather see that, Like at least the guy's giving all out effort. At least he's trying. Trent Brown is my second death?
Speaker 3: You got, uh Brennan school or Chris Board?
Speaker 1: Oh there just third down?
Speaker 3: Yeah, okay, well my third down you're gonna roll your eyes at. But another mistackle for Brennan' Schooler on the big punt return Chris Board just a bizarre penalty running out of bounds.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Uh, They're still not good at kit coverage is still an issue. The kick coverage is still a massive issue, and that's a group that needs to be get ready. People. They're gonna have to sign special teams this offseason because the ones they have now aren't good enough. So I actually kind of want them. It's not their main priority, and it shouldn't be the only thing they do, but they need to get some kick coverage guys in here, because they're seriously struggling in that regard right now. And I just I don't see Matthew Slater coming back at this point.
Speaker 1: So the problem is is that these are They're not just struggling within the margins. These are like backbreaking issues, Like a fifty two yard punt return is a big deal in a game. Chris Board's penalty cost them what nineteen yards of field position? That's a big deal. Like those are yards that really matter and field position that really matters. I had them too as my third down. And you know, if I had special teams guys on my down list, then it's got to be really bad. Chris Board signed to be a special team's ace. Yeah, I've only heard his name called when he's when he's getting called for a penalty all year long. And I want to seriously ask you, as the special teams guy on the program, what do they do with Brandon Schooler? Because he was this like Matthew Slater heir apparent right, He's had a horrible year.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he's a guy I think that has to win his job in camp next year and win his job in the preseason. It's that simple. I'm not you know, he's not a roster lock next year. If we were to do Ross Projess twenty twenty four, I probably wouldn't have him on the right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean penalties a mistackle, and I'll say, if it's a new coaching staff, he's gone.
Speaker 3: He's I just don't see a keep around.
Speaker 1: I think that his biggest problem right now is just undisciplined play. Like he he plays fast and you want him to play he plays too fast.
Speaker 3: He needs to stop and think about what he's like in cam Acord kind of talked about it. It's just like we like the high motor, but it has to be in control. He just plays totally out of control.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, and in that it's on special teams. Playing that out of control is really bad because that's how you're giving up fifty two yards.
Speaker 3: It's all contained, it's all you can't blow contain.
Speaker 1: Yeah, absolutely, all right, who's your last one?
Speaker 3: Sean Payton? I actually lost respect for Sean Payton too a little bit.
Speaker 1: And I kind of said it last week when we were talking about this game that I just on film. I just wasn't overly impressed with the offense that they were running.
Speaker 3: Okay, I'm not talking about anything scommatically.
Speaker 1: I get at their offense is pre no, but I'm just saying, like he's supposed to be this, yeah, this, like he's held to that that Belichick mystique of offensive mine, and they're just like running this like boring dinosaur offense. And then I'm sure you have your like in game reasons.
Speaker 3: Yeah, no, this is closet you break down the scheme, and then I get all annoyed because, all right, first off, first and goal from the six, you're gifted a possession. Yeah, one offensive genius Sean Payton just score a touchdown in three plays. Yeah, but when he didn't, you take the points, dude, You take the points to take three position.
Speaker 1: You know the nerds aren't taking the points.
Speaker 3: You take the points. All right, we'll get to that. We were we were gonna get to the nerds. Oh don't you worry.
Speaker 1: We were gonna get to We couldn't do a show without ragging on the nerds. It's not possible.
Speaker 3: Late in game, bron Patriots tie the game up, or sorry, broncus ty the game up. Forced Patriots punt. They get the ball back one forty two to go start at their own thirty nine. You need to go thirty yards for field goal position, like not a massive ask one for two to go, three timeouts. You're it's right in your lap and they come out with the most overly conservative offensive sequence of play calling. That screen that was I don't know who designed that screen fire them like Peyton. That was brutal. That was absolutely brutal.
Speaker 1: They just sound on it like nothing more than just trashing on coaches that he doesn't like, Like nobody exactly. I'm a big Sean Payge, like Brandon Staley anymore. We're gonna get to Brandon Sae, get to Brandon Staley, don't you worry.
Speaker 3: But and I like Sean Payton, I I like Chempayne. I always like those Saints teams. Like it hurts me to do this, but I have to be consistent. They come out, I mean, am I wrong with the most overly conservative when you just have to go thirty yards or three timeouts? They're running the ball, they're throwing screens, nothing, they punt the ball away and then the Patriots are content to go to overtime.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the Patriot.
Speaker 3: And in that moment, there's a little less than a minute ago, patrins only one time out. Patriots run the ball and they start calling timeouts in that moment and lets get out. Patriots have nothing to lose, nothing loose. Brutal Patriots have nothing to lose to broncras of everything to lose, and the Patriots are the only team that can win the game in that spot. They're comfortable going to overtime. Sean Payton says, no, no, we're gonna call time out. It would be one thing if like the offense is humming and you want the ball back because you can go down the field. Sean, you just had a chance to win the game. You sat on it. That was your shot. You don't start calling timeouts now. So he calls two timeouts. Patriots are like, all right, fine, I guess if you want us to win the game. Boom fade shot to DeVante Parker, which is great play by Parker, and Zappy to Reckon, they go sorry, they go press man. They go press man on.
Speaker 1: Third and five. Joseph in the time of his life.
Speaker 3: I mean, they go press man on third and five, trying to get the game to go in overtime, and Bailey's Appy sees that, like, I guess you can't. And it's a good throat. It's a good catch, but like hand the game to them schematically anymore than that finally gets down the field. You have a kicker who is shaking in his boots having to kick fifty six yards on the road. Sean Payton doesn't call the timeouts ice for whatever reason, but to call the time them out here here's the overarching point. The Patriots are the only team that could win the game in regulation after the Broncos punted. The Broncos gave up their chance to do that with that overly conservative offensive sequence, and Sean Payton calls timeouts with the playoffs on the line to give the Patriots a chance to win the game and essentially knock the Broncos out of out of playoff contention. You know what that reminded me a ton of Evan and I said it the second he called the first time out. Brandon Staley in twenty twenty one in the overtime, b you you just okay? Do you remember I can't even get mad? Do you remember when Brandon Staley did in that game? The Raiders are the only team that can win the game. They're in overtime. A tie sends them both to the playoffs, but if team.
Speaker 1: Wins job anymore team wins shots.
Speaker 3: If one team wins, the Steelers get the other spot. The Raiders are Sachi is ready to go to overtime, and he's sitting there saying, hey, we're both gonna go to the playoffs. This is pretty cool. And Brandon Staley, that idiot starts calling timeouts and the Raiders like, fine, if you're gonna give us another first down and we'll be in field goal range, I guess we can win the game.
Speaker 1: It was somewhere Brandon Staley is like sitting on a beach and he's just like still trying to all time out, still.
Speaker 3: Not defending a run game. It was a Brandon Staley esque performance from Sean Payton. It kills me to say that, because he is a coach I do like a lot, but I respect him less after that game because that was to call those times out. I'm like, I'm sitting there literally yelling what are you doing? And my brother's like, he wants the ball. I'm watching him, and my brother goes he wants the ball back. I'm like, why why? He just they just punted on the game with that series support. So it's like he realized all of a sudden, oh, shoot, we can still win this. We need to get the ball back. Brutal, brutal stuff from Sean Payton in his wheelhouse.
Speaker 1: I I thought that that Bill Belichick and Drod May and Steve uh just coach circles.
Speaker 3: Around here, circles. They needed to get one of those heavy duty washing machines to clear the circles off the turf out of power field. The way they were coaching circles around.
Speaker 1: It was bad. They So the Saint are the Saints. The Broncos had those like toss plays early, right, and they're running toss and I actually was like, all right, Like that's a pretty good approach here in the game plan, because you don't want to run right at the Patriots run defense. You're not going to write Anthony Jennings Devon Godshow, bar More Bentley, like good luck trying to run between the tackles against the Patriots right now. So what do they do. They put the DB's in the fit, They toss the ball outside and they make Miles Bryant and Sean Waite and those guys tackle people. Fine, good game plan. That was literally all they had. That was it. They had nothing else. And Bill and Steve and Girod are running sim pressures right. They're putting six seven guys up with the line of scrimmage and they're dropping guys out, Russian guys, and Russell Wilson looked like his head was spinning. Look, we just Donald out there, and I'm just thinking to myself, isn't this is offensive guru Sean Pailey. And usually when offensive guys like that take a year off, they like go in the lab, right like they they go and they go on like a little tour and they go. It's like, you know, Kyle Shanahan and Sean McVay and Mike McDaniel and you know, all these offensive gurus Andy Reid, and they like learn stuff. They they absorb.
Speaker 3: Sean McVay just went to Brandon Staley School of clock management.
Speaker 1: They absorbed like like new things, new wrinkles for their offense. And Sean Payton's running the same offense he ran ten years ago in New Orleans. And we sit here and we always say that like Belichick, you know, it was Brady, It was Brady, was Brady. It was Drew brees Like we can finally put that one to bed, like it was Drew Breesert and that was it. All right, let's before we wrap up here. We got two more phone calls and we're gonna go really quickly on some of these other things we want to talk about. Nicody is in West Virginia. What's up, Niccody?
Speaker 4: Hey, guys doing good.
Speaker 6: I just want to get your opinion on this defensive lineup for next year since we need to focus more on the offense. Say, Isaiah Bolden, you know, makes a good impact before the season starts, and he's the second outside corner, and obviously have Marcus Jones.
Speaker 4: That's plot.
Speaker 6: What could we move John Jones back to free safety, have freestigned Kyle Dugar and keep him at strong safety, and then maybe move Peppers to linebacker.
Speaker 1: Yeah, thanks for the call to Cody. So I actually think that John Jones at free safety is not like a terrible idea. I know I've heard this one before. He's got the speed, all that kind of stuff, but he's been their best corner.
Speaker 3: If they were gonna do what they would have done it by now.
Speaker 1: He's also just like he's a really good corner and he's been playing through a knee injury this year and he's still put been really really good. I don't know, I mean, I just don't really feel the need to do it. I guess is why where I'm at with it.
Speaker 3: I would say keep the defensive lineup as similar to it as this year. I would swap out Kyle Duggart for a true free safety, add in another depth corner that you didn't get with Jack Jones and J. C. Jackson was supposed to be that third boundary corner, and you'll get Christianzalez back so him John Jones player to be named later, And then you're gonna need like one or two rotational edge rushers not top of the depth chart guys. Assuming you bring Jude On back, get Anthony Jennings back in here, get Tabrill Peppers locked up, get Christian Barmore locked up.
Speaker 1: And you're good to go. Like I, you don't need to touch a lot on defense. I do think you know we're gonna talk about the Jason mccordy of it all. Yeah, all right, we're gonna, you know, keep pounding that that that that third boundary corner that can play a pretty significant role. They they still have not figured that out. And they're gonna have John Jones. Christian Gonzales obviously gonna be your number one boundary corner. You're gonna have John Jones, Mark Jones, and I think they'll if it's this regime, is Myles Bryant will be.
Speaker 3: Right well, just on the boundary corner, like to the college point. Maybe it is Isaiah Yeah, maybe that guy has in the building camp before. Yeah, And honestly, Marco Wilson's gonna be under We didn't talk about Marco Wilson signed yesterday. He had a good year last year. He has not been good this year at all. But maybe he you know, I think right now it's him and Isaiah Boulden and camp for that third boundary corner role. And maybe he use like a fourth round pick on a guy, maybe bring in a veteran, and it's those four competing for one or.
Speaker 1: Two spots they they are starving for. You know, obviously it was supposed to be Jack Jones, right, but like that fourth round corner that's just like a functioning outside boundary guy, Like that's exactly what they need. And it should have been Jack Jones. It wasn't, but that that type of guy just without the baggage that I've.
Speaker 3: Got a guy that's interesting. If we get to the college football playoffs.
Speaker 1: Okay, Dre is in North Carolina, what's up? Dre Hey, guys, you'll hear me.
Speaker 5: Yes, So I was just calling.
Speaker 4: I don't want to her to show.
Speaker 5: How it ends, but I was just talking about if we sit with the fourth pig, which.
Speaker 4: I'll want to possibly trade up to try and get a quarterback, or y'all just with any where y'all are, I'll take it off. I appreciate y'all.
Speaker 1: Thanks raight. So I all with with with trading up. It's always the same conversation with like what are you giving up? Right?
Speaker 3: Right? And what are you giving up?
Speaker 1: And who?
Speaker 3: Like do you believe that guy?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Right? My concern and I'm kind of just from a because those details are hard to iron out, especially on December twenty eight, is like maybe once we get closer it will be easier. I have reservations about trading up because I think that you're you need a lot of pieces on this roster, and if you're starting to give up like a King's ransom to move up in the draft to take the quarterback. Yes, ideally he's Andrew Luck and he and he makes you an eleven win team coming out, you know, rolling out of bed just because you have the quarterback. But at the same time, I look at the Carolina Panthers and I I I that's I am fearful of that.
Speaker 3: The Panthers gave up too much.
Speaker 1: So the Panthers game up a time because they went all the way from eight to one.
Speaker 3: Right, So that's part of it. Like we're I move if it's differ between getting Jane Daniels, I move up from four to three, because you're talking about probably two third round picks to get from four to three. Like that's fine. I'm not moving up from four to one. I don't think they need of ford to one. I'm not moving up for four to one. I'll go like four to three, five to three if it means getting Jade Daniels. But yeah, I'm not doing the Panthers package because that was just stupid.
Speaker 1: Right, And now you're in a position where you're kind of fifty to fifty on Bryce Young. I would say after his rookie year, I'm still not out on Bryce Young. I think that like he still has a chance to be good. But you're you're a little bit concerned. You have to admit, like if you're a parent.
Speaker 3: So I think the thing to remember too, And this is also part of the reason why to people who say, draft Marvin Harrison, draft to tackle, like, build it all up and you'll go get the quarterback next year. Yeah, that scares the crap out of me because there are the way talent's being turned down college. There's gonna be good wide receivers every year. There's gonna be good legit wiers you were telling every year tackle. Some of the class have been thin, but generally you have two or three guys at the top of the board that are pretty good. You're not guaranteed to have a legitimate quarterback class every year next year unless you're gonna get one one and we want to go through another season like we just did. Yeah, and get your Sanders ooh next year? Scary? Next year? Is scare Reka?
Speaker 1: Well maybe maybe Quen yours.
Speaker 3: Maybe all right, So that's two guys, so you've got to have a top three pick again. So you're right where you are. Now, why not just take the guy? Now you look at last year's last year's class, right, Bailey's happy might be the second best quarterback in that class. I mean Brock, right, that's what I'm talking about. Brock parties number one, obviously, but he was the when you have the offense that the Niners have, you can take your quarterback in the seventh round. Show me when the Patriots have that offense and I'll say, okay, they can wait till Saturday. Quarterback.
Speaker 1: I worry about being the Panthers. And so that's the Panthers is like, now they have no assets to add their Brice Young because they traded them all for Bryce Young, and now they have a t that has no talent. They have no first round pick.
Speaker 3: I think it runs deeper in that because at the time people said the Chiefs gave up too much to get Patrick Mahomes to move up to get Patrick Mahomes. Nobody talks about that anymore, well, nor should they. So my point is the decision to move up is only as good as the player. And this is what I was getting to. Albert Breer had this report last week on the Sports Up that yeah, he talked to some gms and basically, since twenty twenty one, put all the quarterbacks in the same class, who goes where? And he said Trevor Lawrence still goes one one, which I think is true. Caleb Williams goes second, Drake Mago's third above like ahead of c J. Stroud as prospects, ahead of c J. Stroud, ahead of Bryce Young, ahead of Kenny Pick, ahead of all the name. Caleb Williams goes one, No, no, no, Trevor Lawrence goes one. Oh, we're going all the way back to twenty one to twenty one, So Trevor Lawrence goes one. Yeah, Caleb Williams goes two. Drake Mago's three. I think it's probably between Jade and Daniels and Justin Fields for four. So the point being, okay.
Speaker 1: I would never no, no, who I would probably Caleb, Trevor, Caleb, Drake May, and who's the fourth guy? So that's where I would probably I would probably put CJ straight ahead of Drake May.
Speaker 3: Okay, Well, so all right, let me the point basically being, right, the Jaden Daniels is going to be the third quarterback in this draft next year. He's won one, no question right, right, So you have a chance to get a better quarterback now than you're going to next year. So just take like there's going to be Joe Altz in next year's class. Maybe there's not a Marvin Harrison, but there's gonna be roma Dune Day Milik neighbor. Next year's wide receiver class looks might be better in this one.
Speaker 1: You know, I hate when you beat this, I know it. But but what next year's wide receiver class is unstoppable, then all of them end up stinking in the foot.
Speaker 3: But but here's my point. Here's my point. Quarterback has more variance than any quarterback has. If you can get the guy, you get the guy. Because next year's quarterback, there's always one last year's wide receiver classman and normally there's always one or two blue chip wide receivers. There's always one or two blue chip tackles. Okay, you're not guaranteed a blue chip quarterback.
Speaker 1: I'm going to just segue into this for you because you asked me to bring up the college football playoff really quickly. Though, Before we get to the college football playoff, we haven't talked about the Bills or this Bills game for even one second, which sucks because the Bills are bad two minutes on this Yeah, what are you looking for out of this game? And like, if you really want to take your victory lap on the Bills who won three straight and four out of their last five, and nobody.
Speaker 3: They barely beat the Chargers and.
Speaker 1: Nobody wants to play them in the playoffs.
Speaker 3: They won't be there. Now they're gonna be there. They're gonna win the division.
Speaker 1: I I don't want the Bills to win the super Bowl. I don't they're going to win the division, but I do kind of hope the Bills win a few playoff games just to irk you. Yeah, just a pissy the division? What are you looking for on Sunday?
Speaker 3: So I want to see, you know, Barmore versus Josh Allen's a great matchup. Like, you know, he's kind of looking like do the Patriots ever freak to counter the freak? Right, that kind of thing. I want to see bar More against Josh Allen. I think that'll be a super fun matchup. And then just I think in the last game the defense played well, but they got off the hook because the Bills are kind of dropping some passes and things like that. I so a big part of the Bill's resurgence has been they've taken the ball out of Josh Allen's hands. They run the ball. You know, who would have thought that would improve?
Speaker 1: So there are more balanced and there's less pressure on him to be Superman and he's playing better.
Speaker 3: Well because he's not Superman. They were asking him to do more than he could do because he's not as good as so many people thought he was. No, the whole point, that's the whole point.
Speaker 1: The point is that nobody if he told her all that he had to be.
Speaker 3: There, all right, But I was being told that he could. I had to run around. I was I was told, I was told, you run the offense like that when you have a guy like Josh Allen because he's that good. Oh my god, he wasn't. Oh my god.
Speaker 1: Who they put they had their offense with Ken Dorsey was vanilla, it was stale they had they used no.
Speaker 3: I was told, I was they had to put the ball in Josh Allen's hands that much because he was that good, and they had to take advance.
Speaker 1: So like, it's not it's not like they're running ball seventy five percent of the time.
Speaker 3: They're running in lot more. I think the Patriots neutralize that. So I think the game is put back in Josh Allen's hands to win. I think is gonna be the first time in a few weeks we see Josh Allen really have to go out and single handedly win the game. Again.
Speaker 1: That's to me is as much as like the Bailey's apt of it all is still there. I think to me, the one thing that's gonna be consistent is that which whoever's that quarterback next year for the Patriots is gonna have to be Josh Allen, Right, Like you're gonna have the division. I still think even though the Dolphins are are gonna probably win the division this year, Buffalo is still going to be a team that they're gonna have to beat get to make it back to the Promised Land for some reason. And I still feel like Bill versus Josh Allen and they had a really good plan I thought the first time around against him, to blitz him and come after him a little bit more and speed him up and make him play out of control and things like that, Like do they have that in them again? Because if Bill can still find some some kryptonite to Superman, he doesn't solve the Dolphins offense, so that that's a whole separate But if he can solve Josh Allen, and they have like two good game plans and could two good defensive performances. Whether it's Bill, whether it's Girod, like whoever is in charge next year of the defense, I think that that that's a really big thing for this team moving forward if they can still.
Speaker 3: So that's that's kind of a lot of it's on Josh Allen, honestly, like how does he in the offense respond to kind of getting knocked around by building that defense in the first game?
Speaker 1: Do they do some different things?
Speaker 3: And obviously they will have a new offense coordinator, but like what does that look like to counter? And then I mean it's pretty much all with the papers events, but on offense, just like Bailey's appis continued development. Yeah, that kind of thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm just looking forward to seeing what they do this time around defensively against Allen, because they they went for about two years there they were all coverage game plan, right, like, they we're gonna drop seven eight guys in coverage and we're gonna make him sit in the pocket and beat us, you know, throwing the ball, and we're not gonna let him play playground football. But the problem was is that they weren't getting any pressure on him and he was just standing there making throws and that's not good either. So this time they kind of split the atom a little bit and we're able to come after him but contain pressure. And I thought that, you know, they did a really good job in week seven of defending him. Now they made some plays and Buffalo ended up making some plays late, especially in that fourth quarter when they came back, But in general, I thought that they that was their best game plan against Josh Allen since he's turned into Josh Allen, like you know, not talking about like his rookie year or something like that. So that that was. That's the Bills College football playoff. You have like four minutes, so I'm just gonna I'm just gonna give you all right.
Speaker 3: My picks are Alabama and Washington, okay, and then Alabama in the in the championship. Yeah, although I think I think Alabama winning it all. Yes, I think Alabama rolls Michigan. I think J. J. McCarthy gets exposed in that game.
Speaker 1: Yeah, kind of.
Speaker 3: You can't run the ball in Alabama like they have on other teams. They can't be that reliant. I think Washington and Texas probably score one hundred combined points, maybe a hunter ten. I just I think Michael Pennick's got that dog in him right, he goes he makes the last play. But yeah, Alabama is Alabama, man, and that's a different that's a different animal. I'm just gonna give you some names. I want you to watch, because you're gonna watch. I hope you watch the games.
Speaker 1: Right, Yeah, the second one's kind of late, like, what are we doing this? It's eight thirty, it's eight forty five. Grow, that's gonna work the next that's the better game. That's that's I know, I know, that's why. What are we doing?
Speaker 3: Alabama starting right tackle jac Latham. He's been their start in the last two years. Six six, three sixty, you know, just quickly, Okay. It reminds me. Reminds me a lot of Trent Brown, just like a big, physical Maler kind of a weird range for the Patriots. He expected to go between ten and fifteen, so they'd have to make a trade. Jermaine Burton's a really good deep threat wide receive for Alabama. I like him. Malach Hi Moore is Alabama's He's a defensive back. He stepped into that. Brian Brantrell. He does a little bit of everything. Would be a classic Belichick pick. We talked about JJ McCarthy. Neither of us believe in him. These Michigan running backs Man Blake corm Donovan Edwards, they're gonna be in the spotlight. The Patriot's gonna need a running back. Please early Day three guys, please Roman Wilson. He's a weird player jump ball six foot jump ball receiver, but he can do it. He's really good at the catch point after the catch, and he needs to be better before the catch. That's kind of my book on him. Really fun player here, Mike Saanner. Still I don't know. You might have heard about him a little bit. Defensive back for Michigan, Everett Highgrad, Massachusetts Gatorade High School Football the year. Spent three years as you need to go. Spend three years of wide receiver at Michigan. Moved to defensive back two years ago. Plays like everywhere. Okay, he's very good. You know, Xavier Worthy, you like him, Ady Mitchell, Jatavian Sanders another tackle on this for Texas. Christian Jones gonna be facing NFL talent from Washington. He's like Tier two J C. Latham, that kind of thing that we do right like or he might be Day three and then on Washington. You know, I like Roma Dune's a Dylan Johnson another running back to watch. Fatanu's in that late first early second round. Alabam Uh Washington's left tackle, three year starter.
Speaker 1: He's interesting.
Speaker 3: He'll be at Senier Bol We'll see him.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's interesting.
Speaker 3: Jabbar Muhammed, Washington's outside corner, three year starter. Really good man coverage.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he played some good coverage against you.
Speaker 3: Five foot ten, might have to move in a slot in the NFL. Reminds me a ton Evan of Miles Bryant. So and he's a well five to ten. Yeah, Shrin's like five nine. It's an itch uh projected Miles Bryant's five to nine with projected late day three pick or udfa. Maybe that goes up with a good performance against these Texas wide receivers. But screams Patriots, I have a full list on ninety eight five to sport.
Speaker 1: You can read that really quickly from me on this because you know I'm just watching for a watching sake. Are we sure quin Yours isn't coming out?
Speaker 3: That's the thing I think it. The playoff determines it if he if he's going to be a first round pick. Will come out. He needs to basically have a big game against If he has a big game against Alabama or Michigan, he's going to be a first round pick.
Speaker 1: So that's what this will decide that. So I am intrigued, just intrigued. I'm not I'm not all in yet. I'm intrigued because I think that there's a chance that he's like the perfect Okay, you missed out on Callabillas, Drake May. You're not totally sold on Jaden Daniels, but you can get a guy like Quinn you Weers maybe by like slightly trading up into the first back into the first round, and he doesn't have the injury history that Pennis does. I just feel like that's one of those guys that might be like the perfect consolation price.
Speaker 3: He's gonna talk to teams at like unofficially right, he's gonna he's his people will do their research after the playoff and basically find out if he's gonna be a first round pick. It's enough teams base If he years back for enough teams that like, yeah, we like you in the first round, he'll declare. If not, he won't because he'll be a first round pick. Next year, and he's got plenty of nil money.
Speaker 1: At text exciting prospect. All right, that's gonna do it. First, Rodney Harrison should be in the Hall of Fame. Yeah, Rodney Harrison should be in the Hall of Fame. We didn't have time for that. I'm sure we'll talk about that on PU which starts here in a couple of minutes, So don't go anywhere. Alex and I will be back next week. Uh weeen hard to believe. But we'll talk about the lan offseason. Then the fun really begins. Yeah, then the fun really begins. We'll talk about the last week of the season. We'll talk about the college football playoff. So keep it right here, Patriots Catch twenty two, and we'll see you all then.
Speaker 2: Thank you for downloading this podcast. Subscribe on Apple, google Play, and everywhere else you listen. Like the show, Please rate and review us. Listener comments and ratings help keep us high on the podcast rankings so new listeners can find us. Be sure to check Patriots dot com for more news and more podcasts.