Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, Podcasts, radio news. This is Bloomberg Business Week Daily reporting from the magazine that helps global leaders stay ahead with insight on the people, companies, and trends shaping today's complex economy. Plus global business, finance and tech news as it happens. The Bloomberg Business Week Daily Podcast with Carol Masser and Tim Stenebeck on Bloomberg Radio.
Speaker 2: Let's get to what is top of mind for a lot of the Bloomberg terminal readers. Sovereign borrowing rates are surging around the world, with yields on thirty year US treasuries rising to the hya since two thousand and seven. We talked about. You say, two thousand and seven you kind of perk.
Speaker 3: Up, you have to perk up, Yeah, you do.
Speaker 2: There are domestic factors right that have a role in each market around the globe, no doubt about it. The structural forces driving up yields are global in nature, though one fear is that persistent geopolitical turmoil will make economies more prone to supply shocks and inflationary pressures. Bondholders are also worried that governments will fail to rein in spending that is certainly a global thing pressuring fiscal health. Meantime, changes in market structure and demographics are resulting in waiting demand from once steady buyers. So there's a lot going on. Let's get to our rates roundtable. It's a killer duo. Ara Jersey, Bloomberg Intelligence Chief US Interest rates strategist, he's in our Bloomberg Princeton Bureau. And then David Day Babusha, he is Bloomberg News corporate finance reporter on set here in New York. Ira, David Day, Welcome, Welcome. I should point out a story too that has been on our minds. Came out yesterday. We're a little obsessed with it. Davia Day was part of it, and it was yesterday's Bloomberg reporting on how AI is driving up treasury yields. It just touches everything. We're going to dig into that in just a moment. Ira, I want to come though first with you your read on what's happening in the US rates market, in the global rates market, and how connected they really are.
Speaker 4: Or not while the extremely connected, and I would say that one of the big reasons why we do have this rise in thirty year US treasuries is there's alternatives now for people to buy buy other bonds. So Japanese government bonds, when you hedge it back into certain currencies, winds up yielding more than US treasuries. So now there's the treasury yields have to compete with yields from other countries. So that creates this very high correlation between a lot of the developed market government bonds and a lot of the things that you just said, Carol, you know, things like fiscal issues not only here but abroad as well, right in Japan, Germany, the UK in particular. Now right, you wind up having the situation where people are worried about the long term health of these developed bond markets. And that's all feeding in to this frenzy of I'm not going to say long and selling because I have yet to meet anyone who I talked to anyone who's actually selling, not necessarily buying, which means that you know, the governments who are selling just have to attract people by issuing it yield.
Speaker 3: Devina, let's bring you in here. Do you want to build on that?
Speaker 5: Yeah, because the interestingly, competition is coming also from the corporate side. Now that's the that's what's happening with the AI sort of financing wave, right, So we're seeing like a lot of corporates issuing tons of that on the long end of the curve, so essentially long term maturities, which is providing competition to the long end of the treasury curve. Essentially perform managers have more to choose from, and that leads to sometimes you know, selling treasures to buy corporates.
Speaker 3: What's the comp in corporate bonds that we've seen, Like this is there a camp?
Speaker 5: I think this is unprecedented quite frankly, like that we are seeing like record levels in terms of issuance, Like we are at one point five trillion only in the investment grade market so far, and that's already like thirty percent more than last year. We're going to there's wide expectations.
Speaker 2: Thirty percent more than last year go ahead.
Speaker 5: There's a wide expectation of like essentially record issuance levels this year, more than even in twenty twenty.
Speaker 3: It's very low.
Speaker 5: So, yes, it's unprecedented.
Speaker 2: I don't know, you know, iras all right, if they're not selling but they're not buying, that's still a problem.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it is.
Speaker 4: And I just want to go back to say that you know that in terms of the long investment grade corporate bonds, which you know are competing, and certainly the AI issuance and other long bond issuance is certainly competing at some level. And there are people who want to hedge their interest rate risks, so that is people you know, selling long ultra bond futures or shorting treasuries against it as well. We have seen this type of issuance as terms of percentage of the market before. If you go back to the telecom boom in the late nineties early two thousands, you saw a lot of long term corporate bonds. But I was a corporate bond stata just you know, several decades ago. Now I hate to say, but and when.
Speaker 2: You we've all been doing this a long time, IRA yet we yet oh yeah.
Speaker 4: So when when you have a lot of issuance, and particularly when it changes quickly, right so, and in terms of you know, people you know selling a lot of five and ten year debt and then suddenly they decide to go out the curve because they either have a funding need to go out that far or they don't want to have a maturity wall in a couple of years. You know, that can change the tone certainly, but when it comes to treasuries, it's you know, it's not only AI, right, we have to make sure that we understand that there's a multitude of factors that are driving this that all happen to be coming together at the same time, including things like Kevin Warsh, you know, not necessarily having the confidence of the market, so that has to increase risk premium. And you've seen that throughout most of the treasury curve, in particular the ten and thirty year part of the curve where you've seen those yields rise just on the back of you know, people not knowing if the Fed's going to be able to you know, control the economy the way you use.
Speaker 2: Are what do you blame the most? Is it, mister Warsh? Is it the AI issuance? Is it?
Speaker 6: Like?
Speaker 2: What do you blame the most?
Speaker 6: Here?
Speaker 4: There is no most, So it's a little bit of everything. And and here's the thing. The AI story wouldn't matter if you didn't have these other things going on, right, people would just be like, okay, it'd be worth ten or twelve basis points right. It would be like a blip and a couple of days of reasonably sized moves. But the fact that you have now, you know, fears of the fiscal situation in the UK, you have fears about you know, the boj raising rates even further and seeing their yields above four percent for the first time in decades as well. Right, all of those things are feeding onto this and then you add on to that the AI supply story, and it just makes it much worse.
Speaker 2: Hey, guys, I want to bring into the conversation. Edward Denny and his team put out a research note. Of course, he coined the term bond vigilant vigilantes, and so we listened to what mister yard Denny has to say. He in the note it said, we aren't pushing the panic button. However, we are closely monitoring whether the bond vigilantes might do so. We are sticking with our view that the US bond yield should continue to trade in a normal range of four to five percent without causing any adverse consequences for the economy and corporate earnings. Nevertheless, now that the yield is approaching the top of this range, we are monitoring the activities of the bond vigilantes more closely. We've been here. I feel like David Ay before, we've talked about the bond vigilantes. We all get crazy and then we settle down. Is this just a case of watching or are there signs that there is a problem and world get ready for higher interest rate costs across the board?
Speaker 5: Well, I mean, like the PUSHI in sort of risk premiums is across the board. So in that sense we're seeing bond vigilati is also in the corporate bond market, where essential investors are asking for higher spreads and higher returns on the on corporate bonds, we're seeing investment grade bonds basically trading at junk level yields. So yeah, the pushire is across the board.
Speaker 2: That's a sign, right, Well.
Speaker 5: It's a sign of investors demanding more because they expect so much supply essentially, right, Yeah, I.
Speaker 3: Just can't help it. Turn back to the backdrop of the FED, and you know, Iira, you mentioned just kind of the confidence of the market in the new FED chair. Could you impact that a little bit because you know, I think a few of us have lit through a different FED share changes. Why would this one be any different than the others?
Speaker 4: Well, I think because the changing communication wasn't incremental at all, right, it wasn't just a little bit of a slowdown. We're going to reduce the amount of forward guidance we give, and we're not. We're not going to you know, we're going to give just a little bit less information in the statement. Look, the the Fed's post meeting statement went from about four hundred words to one hundred words in one meeting. And so we need good words. One hundred good words. Not no, they didn't say it doesn't say anything now right as no forward guidance, it has no reason of expectation. And here here's the thing, like Kevin Worrish, I think so far had you know, kind of misread what the market wants and needs. And you know, yes he has the communications task force. I put out a big, deep dive report on that yesterday where we're you know, looking at all of the task forces and the big one is communications. Because so far Kevin wosh has to you know, hasn't given the market any indication of what's coming next or what will come next given any given economic outcome. So unless you do one of those two things right, either give for your guidance or say, okay, here's the five things that might happen, and we'll do you know, this, that or the other thing, depending on which outcome occurs. He has to do one of those two things, and he hasn't. So the market's confused and we priced higher risk premium like the other guests mentioned.
Speaker 2: Okay, so a lot of uncertainty about certainly the FED share. We need a little bit more specificity. One thing we know real quickly. Twenty seconds, David Day, We're going to get more credit or bond issuance from all these hyper skeles and so and so forth. It's going to keep coming.
Speaker 5: I mean it's relentless. Yes, when we're looking like, you know, school trillion over the next couple of years in terms of estimates. So yes, just in the investment grade market. So it's a lot to come yet.
Speaker 2: All right, good stuff, guys, Thank you so much. This is what we were hoping to do. David A. Barbusha. He is Bloomberg News Corporate Finding It's reporter and of course Ira Jersey, Bloomberg Intelligence Chief US interest rate strategist, joining us.
Speaker 7: Stay with us. More from Bloomberg Business Week Daily coming up after this.
Speaker 1: You're listening to the Bloomberg Business Week Daily podcast. Catch us live weekday afternoons from two to five e's during Listen on Apple Karplay and Android Auto with the Bloomberg Business app, or watch us live on YouTube.
Speaker 2: We're gonna talk a little bit about China. There's stuff going on.
Speaker 3: Let's do it. We have a very highly anticipated summit between Chinese President Hi Jinping and US President Donald Trump. There's many people who've been watching this, many more people who have not, and that's why we're bringing in Shazad Kazi to discuss that. He's the COO and managing director of the China Beaige Book International Space here in New York. He joins us in the studio. Hizat, thanks for joining us.
Speaker 6: Thank you, good to see you.
Speaker 2: Great to see you.
Speaker 3: I would like to start at the summit you had in a recent note, some very detailed back and forth, the pluses and minuses and what may actually not get taken care of in September. Could we start there for investors who may be thinking too much of this meeting.
Speaker 2: And this is a summit between President and g and President Trump.
Speaker 3: Correct, that's right, that's right.
Speaker 6: I mean I think once again expectations should be very very low for what's about to happen. I think where we need to get a day long summit. It looks like at most this time around, and both sides are trying to talk about deliverables. The Chinese side wants us to be superscripted and are very frustrated. The US side doesn't understand why the Chinese side is so frustrated. But at the same time they both agree there's not going to get a whole lot done at this meeting. You know, the big deliverable that might come out of it are details in some finalization of what that so called Board of Trade needs to look like. Don't expect much beyond that.
Speaker 3: What do you mean, what is the Board of Trade walk us through that?
Speaker 6: So the USRA representative famously says, I am the Board of Trade. And what that means is that Ambassador Greer has agreed with this counterparts that we're going to pick about roughly thirty billion dollars worth of things that we are happy to import from you we consider to be non strategic. You'll do the same, and we're going to manage trade between us. So unlike what we've thought of trade deals as saying, look, we're going to open up free flow of trade. This is more about actually saying we're going to decide what's truly free and the rest of the stuff we're going to slap on tariffs.
Speaker 2: Is that a good thing?
Speaker 6: It's driven by a national security imperative from that standpoint on both sides, from both sides, certainly from our side, and I think the Chinese side will determine what their national security priorities are. So it is there are positives to it. I don't know how much it'll do in the long run though, to take care of things like supply chain dependency on China and so forth, because it doesn't address the other critical issues like transcriptment, which is a big one staring us.
Speaker 2: Can you clarify how much we still rely on China in terms of supply chains, global supply.
Speaker 3: Chains immense amount?
Speaker 6: Right? There really isn't anything in our homes, in our and ustrial centers and our data centers, really even factories that is not coming our hospitals is not coming by and large from China.
Speaker 3: What they did with rare earth metals.
Speaker 6: Really scared us because I think it created this other discussion said, think about what if they did that with pharmaceuticals and surgical supplies and medical goods, forget about everything else. Yeah, so a ton and.
Speaker 3: She's just I mean, that's why we're kind of here right now. Right we have the export controls that China puts in place on critical minerals and permanent magnets. The United States says we're going to do the same thing on chip technology, and ultimately the two sides, who are you know, heavy hitters in the world economy, say okay, okay, we got to reach some sort of truth here to calm markets down globally and also to calm this diplomatic relationship down.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and I think one idea was really the predominant idea, was that if the two leaders keep meeting each other, then the truth continues. Now everybody realizes the truth is because we need the truth because we can't we don't have the rarers and the magnets were wholly depending.
Speaker 2: On gener have a choice.
Speaker 6: We don't have a choice. And the Chinese won the truth because that's the best way to keep kicking this thing down the road, to push off tariffs for as long as possible, run out the clock on Trump, and then.
Speaker 3: You deal with whoever the next president is.
Speaker 2: Has China feeling about the United States? And I bring that up because Chinese Foreign minister when you will visit South Korea for two days from Wednesday to talk about North Korean bilateral and global issues with South Korean Foreign Minister A choky On, And this is coming after President Trump ordered the Pentagon to reduce joint exercises with South Korea citing their cost and his relationship with the North Korean leader. And there was also some connection with orn and supporting and the nuclearization. What's your read political read on that.
Speaker 6: So I don't necessarily align myself with the idea that wherever the US tries to withdraw from a geogeography or something, China will try to step in. Necessarily by the same time China is in them, I think it can certainly embolden them. Even if they don't want to take action immediately, Certainly they may fee like they could, and potentially the probability success goes up if you will. So they're doing all of this, I think, on the other hand, even the United States, though on the other hand, even when they're showing up here, they are taking an aggressive tact they're saying, look, we're watching what's happening in Congress.
Speaker 3: We're watching that.
Speaker 6: You know, you guys are not blaming us for an election of difference, and we don't like this. Don't try to threaten the truth. So apparently the tough talk is happening behind the scenes.
Speaker 3: I think oftentimes all of us kind of look at this from the perspective of the US, and what's the US, haven't it? But maybe we could bring you in to look from the vantage point of the China right now? Right there are economic pressures internally. How do those play in this broader discussion? Yeah, I mean, in.
Speaker 6: Some ways this really is I think she's, you know, the genius move, I can call it.
Speaker 3: That the economy internally is pretty weak.
Speaker 6: Not only is the consumption side week, the household side week, and not only are they completely sort of failing to embark upon this economic transition that they've been talking.
Speaker 3: About for a decade and a half.
Speaker 6: Really, certainly at least the last five six years in earnest, they are feeling on all those accounts. Yet they are able to because the expert machinery is running, they're able to, you know, show up at the table and deal with not with the US, not just as competitors and equals, but you know ones that oftentimes look like they have the cards.
Speaker 2: Right, does it ever matter because we always talk about Chinese deep pockets, right, and the governments always they are to either boost up a company or boost up a sector. Those pockets are still pretty deep.
Speaker 6: Right, The pockets are still pretty deep. And where is their traditional way of doing stimulus isn't working? We have to remember they haven't really attempted household style style side stimulus at all. So that's a whole other playbook that they could resort to. They just don't ideologically like to do that. It is, it is ironic. It's a communist party. They don't like to do welfare, but they quite if they wanted to push company show.
Speaker 3: I mean, all of this comes down to job. That's that's the power that the poulap burrow that the Communist Party has within China. Of course, I mean the growing middle class since dunkshell Ping I mean just speaks volumes to that. But as you embark on this AI transition, like, what what does that do to what is still a very deeply industrial based jobs economy.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I think that is a big, big challenge for them. They do not have an answer for this as yet. They're already staring at obviously a very large youth unemployment problem. These young people will eventually become older, so you have to do something about them. Plus the new entrance, the Communist Party certainly has a big challenge out of itself from them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, where are they in this transformation? We talk about whether it's EVS or you know, pick even AI, like how advanced they are certainly when it comes to robotics and so and so far, so it sounds like they're so advanced and that we should be worried. But is that true?
Speaker 3: They are advanced, and we have to remember that we're talking and a.
Speaker 2: Risk to the US in terms of high tech and so on.
Speaker 6: Well, certainly, I mean, we can't compete with them at this point when it comes to things like robotics, right, there's no factory in America that could just say, oh, yeah, we're competing with the Chinese when it comes to automation and products and such. And you have to remember we're talking about AI related job losses a lot in this country now that transition to automation, especially in the manufacturing side has been happening for a long time in China, So they have this they sort of know how to deal with it by now a little bit also compared to maybe other economies, but they are certainly very far ed's it's incredible.
Speaker 2: So what should investors be thinking about? You know, we've been talking about China forever and for such a long time. I know when I started my career like decades ago, you know, it was all about having access to the Chinese market. That's what was important to every global multinational company. We think differently post COVID, post what have you. And so I do wonder how investors have to think about China's relationship with the world. We know China is friends with Iran, with Russia. You know, we talk about this other kind of access of power North Korea. What is their role?
Speaker 6: I think their role for an economic standpoint is that you have to look at what China's becoming as a state, which is that they want to be this high tech superpower. They want to be this industrial giant. They say, we'll make the cheap goods and will make the advance sophisticated goods, and the Chinese commodity story is incredibly interesting still. I mean, what's happening with oil, but even what's happening in other places. Steel demand is down, yet China's buying up all the iron ore it can, right, So those relationships have broken down. They're not what they used to be. And so there are some interesting things happening inside the economy and the traditional model thinking about China just doesn't apply anymore. You really do have to kind of watch it at grundy in our level.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know, the trade hawks still are stuck on over capacity and subsidies, right, and we even saw Peter Navarro put out a report that's made the rounds in the past week. I mean, what do you make of all that still hanging?
Speaker 6: You know, my message to my friends in DC has always been that you can talk about Chinese over capacity all day long. It's not going to make an injin of for difference til unless you can compel American companies to rethink their supply chain strategy and a very very whole stick and broadway.
Speaker 2: As long as though the government. Now here's the funny part, right, because you have the US government getting involved in our companies now. So I do wonder, you know, kind of how ironic this is. But as long as we know the Chinese government can actively and aggressively get involved, is it not ever going to be a market that investors global investors really want to embrace.
Speaker 6: Well, if you're going aligning yourself with companies that are in the states favor sectors that the state is favoring, then there's a pretty good chance that you could get in there. You can make money, especially with the plfuff companies they're ipoing out of Hong Kong now, so including Changa of course as well.
Speaker 3: So you've got that.
Speaker 6: But yes, you have to be very very careful because you know, look at what happened to Baba and so forth. The state decides the winners and losers at the end of the day.
Speaker 3: Just a real quick one here, what is the one thing through the end of the year that you think investors should be paying most attention to with China right now?
Speaker 6: I would say, figure out what could break this truth?
Speaker 3: Maybe past November.
Speaker 2: Okay, that's a big one to keep on our radar. Always important to China, And we were remarking it's been a while since we've talked to you and how the news flow and certainly out of the White House has had us so focused on the Middle East as of late, but you can never ever forget what's going on in China. Shazad, thank you so much. Let's make it sooner. Shazad Kazi, he's Chief operating Officer Managing director for China beag Book International, joining us right here in studio.
Speaker 7: Stay with us. More from Bloomberg Business Week Daily coming up after this.
Speaker 1: You're listening to the Bloomberg Business Week Daily Podcast. Catch us live weekday afternoons from two to five e's during this listen on Applecarplay and Android Otto with the Bloomberg Business app, or watch us live on YouTube.
Speaker 2: Hey, got to talk a little bit more about that sell off in chip stocks. We've definitely seen almost I think earlier in the session we had every name in the socks lower. Today now there's about twenty eight to the downside.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean this is just building on yesterday we were talking about, well, things are looking up, and you know, there's a lot of discussion over the demand that is an AI in chips. I'm today going the opposite way, and I'm curious to hear a little more about it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I got to say Whenever there's a question about any development, and there's been NonStop, we always lean on Ian King. He is u a semiconductor reporter for Bloomberg News. He's out there in our San Francisco Pure Bureau. I will remind everybody, with the socks down about five and a half percent, it is still up nearly seventy percent year to date. Earlier though in the year it had more than doubled. So ups and downs that's pretty normal, I think for the semiconductor space, right Ian, Absolutely.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I know you make a good point. I mean, end of April we were at seven thousand points. Currently we're at what twelve thousand points for the Philadelphia Semiconductor Index, So yeah, we're still a long way up.
Speaker 2: Is it just a risk off day to day? I mean, how do you read the up and downs here? I know we've talked to you about the cycles in the space overall, We've talked to you a lot about the AI impact on that. Is this just maybe a risk off day because of rising yields and you know, rethinking of maybe some valuations or the move up that we've seen, or is there some fundamentals or fundamental problems or concerns in the space as you see it well, and I.
Speaker 8: Think you identify it correctly. There we're seeing sort of fairly exaggerated movements even on a daily basis, and that's because you know, so much money has been put to work here. This is such a big part of the market, So whatever the overall market is doing is going to be reflected in. You know, you're selling those that you've made the most money out of, so profit taking, you could argue, has become a bigger factor than ever. But also fundamentally there's a daily kind of naval gazing examination of what is all this built upon? You know, is AI going to pay off? So there's certainly that going on as well.
Speaker 3: Yeah, like yesterday we were talking about how all the indicators were that AI. It's it's even better than we understand and we're not fully grasping, you know, revnur minds around it. I mean we even have this b of a note saying that Nvidia could be trading at a discount of as much as fifty percent. So Ian you spend most of your time living through the weeds. I mean, how do you when you kind of look through the end of the end of the week, Like, what are you really looking at moving ahead in the chip space? Is this just a one day thing to say, Okay, it is what it is, let's look at the bigger deal.
Speaker 8: Well, I mean, we've got in video earnings next week, which will give us a very concrete signposts in terms of where we are in terms of fundamental demands. Either they're continuing to grow at the pace that we expect or they're not. And that'll tell you a lot given how important they are. But what's the consideration in the short term is really what's going on with the financing of all of this AI build out. On a daily basis, investors change their mind as to whether these giant deals are a good thing or sign of an iceberg on the horizon that we need to be scared about and not as a real focus for investors right now.
Speaker 2: I think you know, in Nvidia, man, there is always so much coming out I feel like on a daily basis about this company, and either it's something Jensen says or it's something Nvidia does. We talked about they had agreed to spend as much as one hundred and five billion to support a massive new data center campus in Ohio, said to be leased by open Ai. You know this non to stop spend. This is the story I believe that you and Will Wade did you know? And I just there's already a big commitment by open ai to buy Nvidia Gear, which could represent about six hundred million dollars of revenue for Nvidia through twenty thirty. Does all of this make sense to you? I mean, it's just NonStop this news and I think about you're smiling, but I mean, you know when it comes to earnings next week, I mean, what is it that we need to hear that says all of this that you're doing that feel so cozy as I like to say that, it's that it is based on fundamentals. It makes sense. No.
Speaker 8: I mean again, you've nailed it that. There are two ways to look at this financing effort. The one is the video viewpoint, which is, look, this is just a good.
Speaker 3: Use of our cash.
Speaker 8: Anything that accelerates the uptake of our of our products, anything that accelerates the uptake of AI is money well spent.
Speaker 3: It's just like R and D.
Speaker 8: It's just like developing new products. The flip side is, hold on a minute, if all of these companies have got so much demand. If AI is now so important, if it's already contributing to everybody's innings, why do they need your help to raise money? And you know, the truth probably lies somewhere in between those two, And it really depends on the day as to how investors feel about this.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't know how you do it on a daily basis, Hee, And I mean there's so much out there, there's so much being discussed. I mean, we must have talked to five different analysts yesterday who were speaking on both sides of this. But when you just cut through all of it, and like you said, you're just looking at the hard numbers, I mean, is it is in fact difficult for the human brain to really wrap its mind around how much of a step change we're talking about in these markets because of the space.
Speaker 8: No, you're absolutely right, the scale that we're talking about, whether it's investments amounts, whether it's revenue.
Speaker 3: For example, next.
Speaker 8: Year, if Wall Street is right, in video will have half a trillion dollars of sales. Right, that's more than the entire chip industry was managing in sales three years ago. So we've come a long way, very fast. And of course, given the history of the chip industry, people are naturally saying, is us too far, too fast? I'm given their ponchamp for these giant swings between oversupply and undersupply. You know, disaster got to be a bad sign, so that all of these concerns are absolutely natural given the basic pattern recognitions that you have to apply to industry.
Speaker 2: You know, it's interesting too, And you mentioned the b of A call, Joe Ian. I'm sure you saw it that in video, you know, shows could be trading it a discount of as much as fifty percent according to b of A, And they suggest that in video could ease worries over lower earnings quality by committing a greater share of its free cash flow to buybacks. You know, whenever I hear that, I'm like, that's just math right, You're reducing the amount of shares, You're going to improve their earnings per share. That to me, I don't know. I read that as more of a warning sign. But I don't know how do you read it?
Speaker 8: I mean, all I can tell you is in video have been very clear what comes first is spending on the business. Anything that we think will help us down the line, we're going to spend on that first, and then investor returns and everything else comes after that. And in the past, I think you're right. People have looked at, for example, IBM and massive buyback programs. There is financial engineering, is what it was criticized. When you don't have growth, you you know, you change the denominator and you make P and E look better by reducing the share count. So you know, there is a bit of a history and a bit of a psychosis there. I think among some investors, Oh, this is a bad thing, this is a bad thing. Others would say no, no, this is if you really believe in your innings and your future, then you pay us now. So it depends on what day you're honor is to have what's the prevalent opinion.
Speaker 2: I think I'm going to squeeze you twenty seconds is what could Jensen say that would just blow your mind next week real quickly.
Speaker 8: I think, you know, if he comes in and shows even more growth and isn't expected, I think that will have a profound effect.
Speaker 2: Well, you always have a profound effect on us. We love you, Ian King, You're incredible. Bloomberg News US semiconductor reporter Ian King in our San Francisco Newsburier always just gives us like the smart perspective on AI.
Speaker 3: Right, this, this is what Bloomberg's about.
Speaker 2: It is exactly.
Speaker 7: Stay with us. More from Bloomberg Business Week Daily coming up after this.
Speaker 1: You're listening to the Bloomberg Business Week Daily podcast.
Speaker 7: Catch us live weekday.
Speaker 1: Afternoons from two to five these during this listen on Applecarplay and Android Auto with the Bloomberg Business app, or watch us live on YouTube.
Speaker 2: Well more than thirty three million people I don't know if you know this in the US live with food allergies. That's according to Fair's National Indication Indicator Report on Food Allergy. They are a five oh one to three C charterable organization. They've got a mission to improve the quality of life and health of those with food allergy through transformative, transformative research, education, and advocacy. And I have to say, I know people who've had kids with extreme allergies. It's very serious. Runs to the emergency room, like these are things that can be life or death. Yeah, get a little one, Like you're dealing with food.
Speaker 3: Oh every day, right, I mean even in the early days where it's like okay, we're going to test all the things. Yeah, now that I'm a parent, I think more than ever about the food going into the mouths of anybody.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm with you as well. And our next guest too, has done her own research and education in this area. For her, it was personal. It led to the creation of a company that's helping others, and we're delighted to have with us in our Bloomberg Interactive Broker studio Vanessa Phillips. She's CEO and founder of Feel Good Foods. You could find them in Whole Foods, Target, Thrive Market, Stop and Shops and more. Welcome, Welcome, Nice to have you here in studio. It is personal and time and time again, you have an individual who's got a situation or a problem and they figure out a way to solve it. That was your case. Just briefly give us your backstory.
Speaker 9: Okay, well, thank you for having me. Excited to be here. So, yes, I mean, Feel Good Foods is very personal for me. I grew up in New York City. My family owned restaurants, and from a very early age I was a foodie, so loved food and was always exploring and open to eating everything. And in my teenage year, I just started having so many symptoms that were really hard to pinpoint. It just was like I was sick all the time. Everything I ate. I remember saying to my parents, maybe I'm allergic to salt, maybe it's water like it was literally everything I was eating was making me sick. And in college, I was diagnosed with Celiac disease and was told that I had to go on a really strict gluten free diet and I had to rethink everything because to that point I was determined to do something in the culinary world, and being on such a restrictive diet after that, I kind of had to, you know, relearn all everything I knew about food up until that point. So I, you know, was really on a mission to not give up my favorite foods. I especially loved potstickers and egg rolls. My father owned Chinese restaurants, and I remember getting an endoscopy, which was how I was diagnosed with Celiac disease, which was they could take pictures of your stomach. And I woke up from anesthesia and the first thing I said is well, can I still eat potstickers? And the doctor was like, I don't think so. I actually think that that probably has gluten in it, and I was like, Okay, well then I'm going to have to figure out how to make a gluten free potsticker. So that was the beginning of my journey and I just started doing a lot of research. I teamed up with a chef and we just went at it. We were determined to create all of my childhood favorite foods. It was all about nostalgia, comfort foods, foods that I was craving, but in a way where I could enjoy them as an adult. So that's what feel good Foods is all about. I mean, everything we do really does stem from the foods that I ate as a kid, but reimagined as an adult with simple ingredients, always gluten free. But interestingly enough, seventy percent of our consumers today are actually not gluten free. So really, you know, I mean really holding the bar very high for us where we are not trying to be just a gluten free food brand, but just a food brand that really focuses on comfort food with simple ingredients.
Speaker 3: On that the number, say the number again, how many are seventy percent? So you know, listen, I know you live this every day, but in my experience with gluten free right and the conversations evolved over time. It's kind of like, initially, I think a lot of people just thought it was a healthy way to eat. So I'm just wondering, like, what is the difference between the percentage you have actual gluten allergies versus the percentage you are consuming your product that are just thinking, oh, this is healthier.
Speaker 9: So there is that halo a fact, and you know, seventy percent of our consumers are you maybe think it's healthier, but also just might buy it based on the ingredient panel and it works for them and their lifestyle. They think it the product looks delicious, and because it tastes delicious, they come back and they repeat it. It's very convenient. You know, air fyers right now are like an all time high. So the fact that you can get that restaurant quality experience at home and an air fryer is also like a huge you know, selling point. And then there's more of the kind of you know, this fits with my lifestyle, but also this fits with the medical need that I have. So one percent of you know, the US population of Celiac disease. There's several other reasons why somebody would eat gluten free aside from Celiac disease. You can have a gluten intolerance, which you know can be just as widespread in your body and cause so much discomfort, but you don't have the autoimmune disease. You know, you can have other autoimmune diseases that benefit from a gluten free diet. You know, it's also an anti inflammatory diet. So there's a lot of reasons why people are choosing to be gluten free today, but we're really seeing more the larger consumer base is just consumers who are just looking for that like delicious, simple ingredient, you know, product that they can have in their homes that just solves a problem of like what to eat when you're living a very busy lifestyle that you can rely on.
Speaker 2: What's growth metrics? Talk to us about the expansion that you guys have seen since you started. I think you started back in twenty twelve.
Speaker 3: Twenty twelve.
Speaker 9: Yeah, we you know, we saw a huge growth spurt during COVID and that has really sustained since. You know, I think that the frozen food category in general saw a huge growth spurt during COVID. Yeah, people were at home, a lot restaurants were closed, so it was, you know, a really great opportunity for us to have incredible trial. We've seen a lot of sustained growth since COVID because the category is continuing to grow. Also, we're just expanding a lot. We started out very much as like a natural food brand, right like we started in Whole Foods. We were really speaking to that natural, better for you consumer, and retailers were a little bit slower to adapt. And then in recent years we've seen a ton of growth in conventional retailers, you know, bringing on retailers like the Walmart and Target.
Speaker 2: What kind of growth can you I'm always curious.
Speaker 9: Were featured in sixty percent in retail from when to when in the last year, and then you're the top line. Yeah, and then but year over year we're growing fifty percent. So it's definitely seen a really big surge later in our life cycle. A lot of that is coming from velocity growth, which is something that you don't always see as you're growing your distribution so much. Typically velocity will dip a little bit as you're growing into more stores. We're not seeing that at all. A lot of that is like new to brand consumers, and then we're also seeing a lot of growth just due to new distribution. I mean, we're in twenty five thousand grocery stores, but a lot of that has been added in the last couple of years with you know, rolling out nationally at Walmart, target regions of costco publics, so you know, really seeing mainstream adaption to what started out as like a very kind of like niche Idea.
Speaker 2: Vanessa, you bootstrapped it. We've just got about thirty five seconds left here. What's your plan to continue going alone or I'm curious are you getting offers.
Speaker 9: Or we're right now like we're having so much fun and we're just going to keep like continuing the mission and you know, keep growing and get into more stores and feed more people.
Speaker 2: So that's no to any offers that.
Speaker 9: Is right now. We are just continuing to have fun and do this.
Speaker 2: What about go public real quickly?
Speaker 3: No, not right now.
Speaker 9: We don't have any plans for that right now.
Speaker 2: Just do your own thing. So yeah, come on back, let us know how things are going. Okay, I will The food space is always interesting. I feel like there's so many newer companies that have come on to kind of go up against some of the giants. Vanessa Phillips, CEO and founder of Feel Good Foods. Thank You, Thank You.
Speaker 1: This is the Bloomberg Business Week Daily podcast, available on Apple, Spotify, and anywhere else you get your podcasts. Listen live weekday afternoons from two to five pm Eastern on Bloomberg dot com, the iHeartRadio app, tune In, and the Bloomberg Business App. You can also watch us live every weekday on YouTube and always on the Bloomberg termin