Speaker 1: This is Master's in Business with Barry Ridholds on Bloomberg Radio.
Speaker 2: This week on the podcast, I have another extra special guest, ANDREWS. Lemons has pretty much done everything on the wealth management side of the business, starting at Brown Brothers Harriman before going on to Morgan Stanley where he started out as a client facing wealth manager, before moving into portfolio manager and eventually creating the Applied Equity Advisors team that uses a combination of quantitative and fundamental and behavioral thinking to create portfolios and funds that are sturdy and can survive any sort of change in investor sentiment. They look at geography, they look at capsize, they look at style, and they look at sector and try and keep a portfolio leaning towards what's working best. These tend to be concentrated portfolios. The US versions are thirty to sixty holdings, where the overseas versions are just twenty holdings. I found this conversation to be fascinating. There are a few people in asset management that have seen the world of investing from both the client's perspective and a client facing advisor side to a PM and then a broader asset manager than Andrew has. He really comes with a wealth of knowledge and he's been with Morganstantley since nineteen ninety one. That sort of tenure at a single firm is increasingly rare, rare these days. I found this discussion to be absolutely fascinating and I think you will also, with no further ado, Morgan Stanley Andrews Slimmon.
Speaker 1: Thank you. It's an ho to be here.
Speaker 2: Well, it's a pleasure to have you. So let's start at the beginning with your background. You get a BA from the University of Pennsylvania and an NBA from University of Chicago. Was finance always the plan.
Speaker 1: I think being in a competitive industry with all the plan. I played tennis competitively in juniors and went out and played in college, and I always liked the you know, you either won or loss. And what I always liked about this industry it was all about, you know, did you win or loose? There wasn't a lot of gray era and I think that's what I do love about the stock market and investing in general, because there's a scorecard and you can't there's no room in the scorecard for the editorials.
Speaker 2: No points for style or form. It's just did you win or lose? So where did you begin? What was your first role within the industry?
Speaker 1: Sure? So, well, my first role was opening the mail at a broker's firm in Hartford, Connecticut. But I started my career at Brown Brothers Harriman right here in New York in a training program, which was great because they had commercial banking, they had capital markets, and they had the investment management side of the business. And that's what getting exposure all those led me to believe, Gee, I really am interested in the stock market and how it works in investing in general.
Speaker 2: So what led you to Morgan Stanley? How'd you find your way to write?
Speaker 1: So? Yeah, I was a research analyst at Brown Brothers and I was covering, you know, in healthcare stocks. I realized that there must be something more to investing than just what was going on at the company level, because I noticed that the things that were moving my stocks on a day to day basis weren't just what was going on at the company level. And University's Chicago, where I got to my MBA, was obviously very focused on more the quantitative areas of investing, and I took FOMA and French and so forth. And Miller and all those that taught me that what drives a stock price is more than just the company level. And so that was really how it rounded my knowledge of kind of investing, the first steps. And then coming out of business school, it was ninety one, and it was a recession. And I had met my wife in business school and she got a job at kid r Peabody, if you remember that, invest in banking in Chicago, and I couldn't find kind of a buy side opportunity, and Morgan Stanley had a department called Prior Wealth Management that covered wealthy individuals and small institutions in Chicago. And I needed a job, and I had a lot of student debts, so I said, hey, as opposed to go in the traditional buy side route, I'll start in this area, covering clients and investing for them.
Speaker 2: So ninety one kind of a mild recession, mild and really halfway through what was a rampaging bull market. What was it like in the nineteen nineties in New York and.
Speaker 1: Finance, Well, I mean the thing that was amazing is we would have clients in the late nineties. It would come to us and they'd say, Andrew, I'm not greedy. I just want fifteen to twenty percent returns a year, right and no, with limited risks. And that is what was so fascinating about today is today people say to me, Andrew, why would I invest in equities when I can get five percent in the money market. And what a difference in a mindset, which tells you where we are. In the late nineties, we had just gone through a roaring bull market. Optimism was just so rampant in the worst year in the business I can remember was nineteen ninety nine because as an investor covering clients, I was caught between doing the right thing for them, which was avoid these ridiculously priced stocks or get on the train because the money is pouring through. And then it all came to an end in two thousand and two thousand and I took a step back and say, thank god, I never you know, I just didn't buy in the way some people did, and therefore save people a lot of money. It was a tremendously good learning experience for me to stay true to your values of investing. Ultimately, they work out you.
Speaker 2: Are identifying something that I'm so fascinated by. The problem we run into with surveys or even the risk tolerance questionnaires. Is all you find out is, hey, what has the market done for the past six months. If the market's been good, hey, I of course I want more risk. I'm more than comfortable with it. And if the market got shellacked, no, no, no, I can't so offer anymore draw downs. It's just pure psychology.
Speaker 1: And I would go one step further. You know this, you're in the business, but when you first meet someone, you never know the ones that are going to be truly risk averse or truly can withstand the vault to the and ones that can. Some people say, don't worry, I'm not worried about the draw downs, and the minute happens on the phone to you, and some people I told you I wasn't worried and I didn't call you. And you can never know just the first time you meet people who that's going to be.
Speaker 2: It's a challenge figuring out who people really are not easy. So you start at Morgan Stanley in nineteen ninety one, you're in. That's a long time ago. You start on the private wealth side. What led you to becoming a portfolio manager with Morgan Stanley Wealth Strategy.
Speaker 1: So if you think about my career, I learned to be a fundamental analyst. I went to Universe Chicago and learned that, oh, there's quantitative factors that drive a stock price beyond kind of what's going on at the company level. The third part of my experience was being in prior wealth management. Clients want to believe they all buy low and sell high, but bear you know that doesn't isn't the case.
Speaker 2: Somebody does accidentally, someone randomly top ticks and bottom ticks of market, but nobody does that conceive exactly.
Speaker 1: And here's a great example of what I mean. If you think about the years twenty twenty. In twenty twenty one, growth stocks took off right, but in twenty twenty two they got crushed. Do you think more money went into growth managers and funds in twenty twenty one or the end of twenty twenty two after they got crushed.
Speaker 2: The flows are always a year behind me exactly what people are backwards.
Speaker 1: Like well, and that's because there's something called the tear sheet. If you were my client, I went to you and said, Barry, I think you should invest in emerging markets because look how terribly it's done. The last five years and I can. You're the tear sheet everybody. Hey, I hate it. So the problem with this business is a stock price does not care what happened in the past. It only cares about what's happened in the future. But as humans, we all suffer from recency buyas. So what I observed in the nineties, it's a long winted answer. Your question is what I observed in the nineties. As a coverage offer, you can't get clients to actually buy what's out of favor. And the flaw in the whole growth value US international is people frame, Oh, maybe I should buy more growth because it's working well, except it gets too expensive. So the reason I left being in wealth management, I was convinced that I could start strategies using more quantitative but give us flexibility. So if we could start core strategies so that if growth got too expensive, we could tilt away from growth, or if Europe wasn't working, we could tilt away from Europe. That gave us more flexibility as an active manager, versus saying I'm only a growth manager, that I'm always trying to justify why you should buy growth, or if I'm a value manager always justifying why buy value. Remember, by nineteen ninety nine, a half of value managers had gone out of business in the last three years, that just before they took off.
Speaker 2: That's unbelievable. I know folks who run short hedge funds and they say they could always tell when we're due for a major correction because that's when all of their redemptions and outflows hit a crescendo.
Speaker 1: And so that's the problem with the dedicated style is you're always fighting human behavior just at the juncture with which you should be investing. They're selling, they're selling their stocks.
Speaker 2: So let me ask you the flip side of the question. If you can't get people or if it's really challenging to make people comfortable with buying out of favor styles or companies, can you get them to sell the companies that are in favor and have had, you know, an exorbitant run up and are really pricey or is that just the other side of the same coin.
Speaker 1: It's the other side of the same coin. But I think what complicates is is taxes, sure, because people don't want to sell for taxes and general Electric was a very important experience in my life in a you know back in the nineties, which was it became the number one stock. Everyone loved it, and then you know, it went through a can't grow as quickly anymore. So the issue that I see in the industry is stocks never survive as the number one company, and so eventually they decline and people don't want to take money off the table when they're the number one or tops because they have big gains. And then ultimately people sold a lot of General Electric with a lot less of a gain. So the trick is is to reduce the exposures over time. So if I'm a core manager and I know that growth is expensive relative to its history versus value, we'll tilt the portfolio, but we won't go all into value all in growth because timing these things is very, very tricky.
Speaker 2: So you've been with Morgan Stanley since nineteen ninety one, three decades with the same firm, pretty rare these days. What makes the firm so special? What's kept you there for all this time?
Speaker 1: Well, you have to remember that when I started in nineteen ninety one, wealth management was a relatively small part of of the firm, and I give James Gorman tremendous credit. He really grew that area because of the stability of the cash flow. You know, I'm a pretty stable cash flow. And then when I progressed to Morgan Stanley Investment Management, it was the same concept, which was we value the multiple on stable cash flows is higher than on capital markets flows. And so that's I've kind of followed the progression of how Morgan Stanley's changed, and that's been a great opportunity. And then I look and say, well, I was able to go from wealth management into the asset management because the firm grew in that era. So it's been a tremendously great firm to be with. But I've you know, my career has changed over time as the firm's changed over time.
Speaker 2: Sure, I had John mac on about a year ago and he described that exact same thing, the appeal of wealth management, and part of the reason what was a Dean winner. The big acquisition that was done was, hey, this allows us to suffer the ups and downs in the other side of the business, which has potential for great rewards but no stability versus ready steady, moderate gains from the funeral wealth management.
Speaker 1: We bought Smith Barney another thing. So then over the acid management side, there's eating Vance each trade wealth management, and with eat Advance came Parametric and Calvert. So the firm has grown in the areas that I've grown personally. So it's been a great, great marriage for a long time.
Speaker 2: So your experience with General Electric, I had a similar experience with EMC and with Cisco late nineties, trying to get people to recognize, hey, this has been a fantastic run, but the growth engine isn't there, the trend has been broken. Don't be afraid to ring the bell. And I'm not an active trader. I'm a long term holder. Getting people to sell their winners not easy to.
Speaker 1: Do, very hard. But also when stocks get very very big, companies get very very big, it just gets tougher to grow. In my experience, and this has nothing to ge just in general, is when companies get big, usually the government starts looking into their business because they might dominate too much. And so it's a combination of why over time, and I know this is hard to believe given the last couple of years, why the equal weighted SMP does actually outperform the cap weighted S and P because companies mid cap companies that are moving up it's easier to grow.
Speaker 2: Well, it hasn't been twenty five years since the Microsoft any trust. Uh boy, that's that's that's amazing. How often are equal weight SMP outperforming?
Speaker 1: It outperforms about half the time. It's certainly had. I mean, think about last year and through October, the cap weighted to perform the equated by eleven hundred base ports. Wow. That's But the thing that's fascinating about this verier and again you know this is that it's always the first year off of bear market low investors sell. So tail flows were negative from the low of October twenty two until for a year in that November twenty three exactly. But if you go back to twenty twenty March of twenty twenty, flows were negative until February of twenty one. So it always takes about.
Speaker 2: A February twenty. That's amazing because from the lows in March it was a huge set of game.
Speaker 1: Net flows from muta funds ets. They're always negative the first year because of that rear view mirror recency bias. The reason why that's relevant, Barry, is because when investors finally said I shouldn't sell anymore, I should buy. They're not going to buy what's already worked. They're looking for other things and that's when the equated really started out before. Huh. Really interesting.
Speaker 2: So let's talk a little bit about your concept of applied investing. What does that mean? What is applied investing involved?
Speaker 1: Okay, so there's the theoretical story about it, and then there's a practical story. I'm sure you'll get a kick out of the practical, But the theoretical is that I don't believe that a stock price return comes purely from what's going on. Fundamentally, you have to decide should I own growth, value, large cap, mid cap US versus non US any stocks return? About two thirds of return in any one year can be defined by those, So we have to get that right first, and that's the quantitative size. So we use factor models to say, hey, should we own growth stocks or value stocks? And so we tilt our portfolios quantitatively based on which of those factors are setting a signal that they'll work in the future.
Speaker 2: So let me just make sure I understand this geography, size, sector, and style, all the four metrics. If you're looking at and trying to tilt into what you expect to be working away from.
Speaker 1: Exactly, and the goal of that is to keep people in the game. Flip side is you know things are out of favor, they can stay out of favor. The problem in this business is styles and investing can stay out of favor longer than the client's patients duration.
Speaker 2: Just look at value in the twenty tens. I mean, if you were not leaning into growth, you were left way behind exactly.
Speaker 1: And what I observe from my time being advisor is at the end of the day, clients don't really care where they own growth or value. They don't care where they own European US. They want to make money and they don't want to go backwards. And if all you keep saying is yes, but you know, my value manager has outperformed the value index and they're like, yeah, but the S and P is going through the roof, right, So you have to have some flexibility in your approach. So I wanted to start a group that at the core would use those quantitative metrics. But pure quantitative takes out kind of the fundamentals of investing, because a certain portion of a stock's return comes from what's going out the company level. And the other thing is if all I did was focused on the quantitative. You'd end up owning three hundred securities. So let's talk tom and an SMA can't do that, or you don't drive enough active share.
Speaker 2: SMA is separately managed account. Let's talk about active share. Because your portfolios are fairly concentrated. The US core portfolio is thirty to sixty companies. That's considered a modest holding, a concentrated holding. Tell us about the thinking behind that concentration.
Speaker 1: So it's funny going back to that first job at Brown Brothers, you know, and the time in the eighties, no one knew about passive investing. But I observed that, you know, they'd have these portfolios and they'd have kind of two or three stocks in every sector, so you'd end up with you know, one hundred, one hundred and fifty stocks, and you know, they not that they did poorly, but they never really you know, it's really hard to drive a lot of active you know.
Speaker 2: Performance everything is one to two percent.
Speaker 1: And at the time it wasn't really there wasn't really passive investing. But then as as time progressed, all these studies came out and said, well, actually the most excess return in active management comes from managers that are very, very active. And if you own one hundred and fifty stocks and you're the benchmark is the S and P, you're not active. So it was clear to me that we needed very concentrated portfolios but control the risk. And so that's why we run these limited portfolios. The applied term is so it gave some quantitative approach to what we do. But here's the practical barrier, which is, when the firm came to me and said, okay, you're going to become an asset management arm, you got to come up with a name for your team. I knew that these firms show asset management companies alphabetically, so apply to this. I wasn't going to be ze applied, right. I wanted to be at the top of the list.
Speaker 2: That's very that's triple a exterminator. So let's talk about two things you just mentioned. One is active share. But really what you're implying are that a lot of these other funds with two hundred and three hundred or more holdings, they're all high fee closet indexers. What's the value there?
Speaker 1: Right? And that's why as an active manager, I have nothing against ETFs. I think it's done great for the industry because shame on funds that own lots and lots of securities. You're not doing a service to your investing. But at the end of the day, if I marginally underperform, not me, but in general, you know, it will take time to lose your assets. You know, what's right for the money management firm is not always what's right for the investors. So the right thing is choose passive strategies. But there's a place for activities, but it's got to be active.
Speaker 2: Core and satellite. You have a core of a passive index, but you're surrounding it, which something that gives you a little opportunity for more upside exactly. Huh really really interesting. So if the US holdings are thirty to sixty companies, the global portfolio is even more concentrated about twenty companies.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, so taking a step back again, one of the you know, remember I run mutual funds, but I started in the separate managed account business. So what it what means is they would wealth manage would implement our portfolio for individuals by buying socks. And one of the things that I observed is that clients pull from the market faster than they pull from stocks. So in other words, when you're worried about the market, if it's about the market some macro story, Well do you want to sell your Microsoft? Oh? No, I like Microsoft, but I'm worried about the market. Okay, Well, owning individual securities is really powerful because it actually keeps people invested.
Speaker 2: There's a brand name, there's a brand.
Speaker 1: Exactly, so people are more likely to pull from the market. So I believe in owning stocks. But the problem is again it goes back to but if you own two hundred sucks, then they don't have any wedded So did we start a strategy? We started this so eight where all the securities would be on one page. That's amazing.
Speaker 2: So your global portfolio also has some international US companies. So in addition to things like LVMH and some other international stocks, you have Microsoft, you have Costco. Correct, what's the thinking of putting those because giant US companies in a global portfolio.
Speaker 1: It goes back to Barry that concept, which is clients don't care really where they make their money. And the problem with the benefit of global global strategies. I can own some US stocks and international only I can't own and what happens If the US just so happens to do better than the rest of the world, then international doesn't work as well. So it just gives us more flex It's that flexible flexibility to go where the opportunity set up.
Speaker 2: And to that point, your fund. The Morgan Stanley Institutional Global Concentrated Funds, which does have US stock trounce the MSCI X US because the US has been out performing international. That's another style for fifty since the financial crisis. The US has been crushing everyone else.
Speaker 1: But think about this way also, if I can own twenty stocks, okay, but they're not all correlated to each other, so they have a lot of different themes. Like I really like this the infrastructure stocks right now, but I also think they're a place as you said Microsoft, but luxury brands only a few stocks but have a different theme. Then I can control the risk in the portfolio. You act to share, good concentrate high act to share, but lower kind of risk.
Speaker 2: So when I look at the Morgan Stanley Institutional US Core, the description is we seek to outperform the benchmark, regardless of which investment style, value or growth, is currently in favor. So your style agnostic. You want to just stay with what's working exactly.
Speaker 1: And Philip Kim is the other portfolio manager. We've worked together fourteen years. I started these quantitative models and then he really took it to the next level, and this was what has the likelihood of outperforming for the next twelve to eighteen months. From a style standpoint, that's how we buy us the portfolio. Things could get just too expensive, things get too cheaps, but we need to see some migration in the opposite direction, and then we buy us accordingly. We want to stay in the game.
Speaker 2: What about the Russell three thousand strategy that's not It's obviously more concentrated than the Russell, but it's still a few hundred stocks. Tell us what goes into that thing.
Speaker 1: Well, we noticed that our just our quantitative factor model alone was doing well right beyond just adding the stock to buy. So we wanted to start a strategy that would add a little bit of excess return versus just buying an ETF that was just focused on that factor models, but we would diverse five away. The stock risk really intriguing.
Speaker 2: So let's talk a little bit about Slimmon's take, which is not only widely read at Morgan Stanley, it's also pretty widely distributed on the street itself. Towards the end of twenty twenty three, you put out a piece a few lessons from the year, and I thought some of these were really fascinating, Starting with the S and B five hundred has produced a positive return in sixty seven of the past ninety three years, the market produced two consecutive down years only eleven times. That's amazing.
Speaker 1: I had no idea. Well, I mean, think about it, the likelihood over time in any one year the market's going to go up, and if it doesn't go up, that's irregular, but then to have another year in a row is very very irregular. So that's why being in twenty twenty three saying hey, it's it's highly likely it's going to be a good year, just purely based on the odds, and then you layer in that whole recency by rear view mirror, and people were way too negative.
Speaker 2: Yeah, At the end of twenty twenty two, the SMP peak to troth was down about twenty five percent. You point out there were only eight instances since nineteen sixty where you had that level of draw down and the average one year return was twenty two percent following that.
Speaker 1: So I put out a piece in September of twenty twenty two saying market's down twenty percent, you should add money down twenty percent, And of course I felt like an idiot, you know, a month later, because and then the mark was down twenty five percent, and I produce a piece saying the average return is just over twenty percent if you buy into down twenty five percent, which doesn't necessarily mean it stops going down, right, But what's amazing about that is, you know what the return off that October twenty second low of twenty twenty two was thirty something twenty one percent. Oh really, dead right, dead on in line. It's uncanny how these things repeat itself. And that's Barry again. It goes back to, you know, your experience experiences the macro changes, but behaviors don't. That's the consistency of this business. And that's what I'm fascinated with.
Speaker 2: Human nature is what it is, no doubt about it.
Speaker 1: And that's what gave me confident that the fun flows would turn positive at some point in the fourth quarter, because it was a year off below.
Speaker 2: I really liked that be dubious when a stock is declared expensive or cheap based on a singular evaluation methodology like pe, this is a pet peeve of mine. The E is an estimate, it's someone's opinion. How can you rely on something, especially from someone who doesn't have a great track record of.
Speaker 1: Making it's the I think that's the biggest air investors make over time is well, this stock is you know, as you said, this stock is cheap or this market. Think about Europe mark. Europe has looked cheaper than the US for a number of years. The flaw on that is the E is a forward estimate, and it's turned out that the E for Europe hasn't been as good as what's expected, and the E for the US, especially the NASTAC has been a lot higher than was expected. So the denominator has come up in the US, which makes it Pe lower, and the denominator has come down US, which made it look more expensive.
Speaker 2: So that's always amazing is if the estimates are wrong to the downside, well then expensive stocks aren't that expensive, and vice versa. If the estimates are too high, cheap stocks really ain't cheap right.
Speaker 1: I watched that, but we also watch revisions, and I've learned also from being, you know, cynically in this business. Companies don't always come clean right away and say, oh, business really bad. It's that they drip out the news. Usually one bad quote as follows another bad quote. I mean, it's very rare, so be careful that. And analysts are slow to adjust their numbers. Anytime someone says, I'm cutting my estimates, cutting my price target, but I think it's bottomed. Yeah, be careful.
Speaker 2: That's always amusing. I thought this was really very perceptive. Over thirty seven years in the investment business, I have become convinced that the most money is made when perceptions move from very bad to less bad. I love that because if you've lived through the dot com implosion, or the financial crisis, or even the first quarter of twenty twenty, you know how true that is.
Speaker 1: Think about last year. You know it's the old saying by Sir John Templeton. Bull markets are born on pessimism, they grow in skepticism, they mature on optimism, and they die on you for it. Well, we had a bear market bottom in October of twenty twenty two. And so we came into last year twenty twenty three, with it's going to be a hard landing, it's going to be bad, and so there's high levels of pessimism. And now as you advance into the fourth quarter, fun flows turned positive as people realize, well, maybe it wasn't gonna be so bad. We've moved into the skepticism phase. So that's why the biggest return year is always the first year off the low, because that's the biggest pivot and has the least volatility. We didn't have a lot of volatility last year, and.
Speaker 2: We saw that in eight oh nine, and we saw that in twenty twenty twenty. It was really, it was really quite amazing. The flip side of this is also true, which is most money is lost when things moved from great to just good.
Speaker 1: Well again, if I go back to kind of growth investing, it got expensive and the growth rates of companies were quite as good. And you know, in twenty twenty two and the Fed started raising rates and that was problematic. It was no different. It reminded me a little bit of the dot com bubble. What brought down the dot com bubble is that companies just couldn't report the earnings that were expected, and you had plenty of time to get out. But the problem is what I said on the dot com bubble, people wanted to kept buying these stocks as they're going lower because they were you know, rear view mirror investing. They were their previous the loves. And what's amazing is think about I said before half the value managers allount of business ninety nine. By the year two thousand and eight, you know what the biggest sector of the SMP was financials. They grew from nothing to thirty percent of the sp So value worked all through the first period until we know what happened in Great Financial Crisis.
Speaker 2: It's amazing that muscle memory. When you're rewarded for buying the dip for a decade, it's a tough habit to break, exactly. So here's another really interesting observation of yours. Whatever the hot product is rarely works the next twelve months.
Speaker 1: It's because a hot product invariably pushes oftentimes valuations to extreme And one of the things that we got very right in twenty twenty three was in twenty twenty two bear market, what did people buy into the lows of bear market they bought defense stocks. Dividend oriented, low volatility type strategies became very popular in twenty twenty two during a bear market, and so we could see that the defensive factor safety became very expensive. So as we came out of this bear market, what lack consumer staples, healthcare utilities, all the safe things, so hot products pushes things to extreme and that usually, you know, unwinds itself badly.
Speaker 2: Historically, once the FED stops hiking rates, equity rallies last longer and go higher than anyone expects.
Speaker 1: Explain the thinking though, So I think it's good news for this year, but also worries me about this year is if you look at the history of the period of time when the FED said we're done hiking till we're going to cut, that period does very very well for equities, and we're kind of at a juncture where we've done pretty well. But if they're not going to cut rates until the summer, I think there's more room to run for stocks now. The flip side is I hear a lot of people talk about when the FED cuts, the perception that that's going to be good for equities. I'm not so sure about that because if you look back in history, when the FED cuts, markets tend to go down initially, not up. And you could argue yes, but Andrew, that's because usually when they're raising rates, it's an economic cycle, and therefore, if they're cutting, there's a problem and this time is all about inflation. But what worries me is when the Fed does announce the cut, well, people say, oh, they know something you don't know. There's a problem out there, And I think there's an that will increase the anxiety. And so I think that's we're in a good period right now. But it worries me when they do cut, will it be people start to worry about there's a problem in the economy.
Speaker 2: See, I'm a student of Federal Reserve history, and I could say with a high degree of confidence, they don't know anything that you don't know. They look at the same data. They're populated by humans. None of them have demonstrated any particular sort of prescience. And if we watched the past decade, they were late to get off their emergency footing. They were late to recognize inflation, they were late to recognize inflation peaked, and now it feels like they're late to recognize, Hey, you guys, won you begin inflation take a victory lap. They seem to always be talking about backwards looking. They always seem to be behind the right.
Speaker 1: But I just think the stock market is an emotional beast. Sure, And you know, and I looked last year and the bears people were too pessimistic. Every time they popped their head out of the den, they got stampeded. And so they'll have a better year this year. And I think it will scare investors, and cynically, I can't help but think, well, people missed. A lot of people missed last year, and the other started to get back in. And after a very low volatility year, there's always more volatile the next year, and so it's inevitable it's going to be more. It doesn't mean it'll be a bad year for equities, it just will have more gut wrenching periods.
Speaker 2: I love this data point. Since nineteen forty, markets have always gone up in the year when an incumbent president runs for reelection seventeen for seventeen. Now, if we break that down, what you're really saying is, hey, if an incumbent isn't running, the economy really has to be in the stinkaroo when the stock market is following. But anytime an incumbent is running typically means we're doing pretty okay well.
Speaker 1: And remember I said, didn't get reelected, just ran for reelection, right, And so what happens, and I see it this year, is when presidents run for reelection, they want to juice the economy. They want the economy going well. And we have Joe Biden has in his pocket the Infrastructure Act, the Chips Act, in the Inflation Reduction Act, we own. The reason why we own industrial stocks is because they are telling us that the money is just starting to come in from the government and these projects are getting just getting off the way. We've seen this with the Chips Act. That money has just started poor. That's why the market tends do well, because the economy stays afloat during a reelection year.
Speaker 2: And the really interesting thing about all this, you know, it's funny. The twenty twenties is the decade of fiscal stimulus, whereas the twenty tens were monetary stimulus. The first three Cares Acts, that was just a boatload of money that hit the market, hits the economy all at once. Each of the legislation packages you mentioned that's spending over a decade, that could be a pretty decent tail wind for a while.
Speaker 1: Very interesting between listening to Wall Street and what you listen to companies. And so I'm a company guy. I listen to companies, and I'll give you a great example. Right now, people think the consumer is getting tapped out, but on the costco call the other day, they say they see big ticket purchase items reaccelerating. Well, wait a minute, I thought, the considering which is it? Which is it? Right? And you know, and so the point of this is is that I go back to listen to what companies say, and I suspect as food inflation starts to come down and people have jobs, they actually could start to go buy, you know, higher ticket purchases.
Speaker 2: And we've seen some uptick in credit card use, but nothing problematic with the ability to service that debt still seems to be very much intact.
Speaker 1: Correct, And that goes back to last year. One of the reasons. The other reason I was optimistic is I kept hearing our companies say to me, I'm being told the recessions around the corner, but our business seems to be doing with it. We don't see it.
Speaker 2: That's really amazing. So let's talk a little bit about who your clients are. You obviously are working with all the advisors at Morgan Stanley, but you're managing mutual funds. Who are the buyers of those funds? Are they in house? Are they the rest of the investing community? Who are your clients?
Speaker 1: Yeah? I mean so that's when I left being advisor in two thousand and four, I started this group within more coan Stailing Wealth Management with the products were only available to financial advisors at Morgan Stailing. But when I left to go into more Cogan Saliing Investment Management in twenty fourteen, the purpose of that was to make my products available beyond more con Stailing Wealth Management because I was getting calls from consultants and institutional investors saying, how do we get access to these funds? And I'd have to think, well, you have to go through advisors, So that I wanted to broaden out the reach beyond. So I would say, we're on a number of platforms. You can buy our funds through the self directed route, and so we're broading out the distribution. And you mentioned the slim and take before that is a methodology that we use to reach out to our investor base. Obviously, I'd love to talk to each of every one of them, but I can't. But I've learned in this business, if you communicate in a way that they can understand. I don't mean understanding in a bad way, like but writing a six page di tribe about why my stocks are so great and why the rest of the market stinks, no one's going to read that. They put it aside and say I'll read it tonight, then they don't. But if you can provide short bullets of what's going on in the market, why people should be bullish or bearish, you provide them with talking points. And that's what we really try to do within the firm, but beyond the firm as well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, one of the reasons I like Slimmon's take is you really boil things down to brass tacks. You're not afraid to use third parties in some of your competitors research. You cite other people on the street when they have an interesting data point or and I very much appreciate that because a lot of people sort of take the if it wasn't invented here, it doesn't exist to us.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, look, I want to grow the assets, I want to perform well, but I value the response is from those who sit on the front lines dealing with clients every day, because they're the ones that feel kind of the emotional side of the business. If you sit back in my office and all I'm looking at a company and just evaluating whether it's pe is appropriate and earnings, you're missing a huge part of this business. It's a behavioral business, and so having access to advisors and listening to their feedback is so important.
Speaker 2: So you serve on Morgan Stanley's Wealth Management's Global Investment Committee, what is that experience? Like, I would imagine that's a huge amount of capital and a tremendous responsibility.
Speaker 1: It is a huge amount of capital and it drives kind of suggested asset allocation for advisors. They don't necessarily have to pursue it that way. My input is obviously on the equity side, but they have people in the the fixed income, high yield alternatives and they all provide inputs into framing and overview. So I'm really I sit in more than Stanily Investment Management, but I do provide that context and I think they like to have me on because I actually have skin in the game and I run money for a living, and I'm not always there saying you gotta buy growth, you gotta buy value. So I'm an agnostic. I'm just trying to figure out where the kind of the ball is going.
Speaker 2: So in the old days, you used to speak with retail investors all the time as a PM. Do you miss that back and forth because there is some signal in all of that noise, whether it's fear or greed or emotion. How do you operate being arm's length away from that.
Speaker 1: That is a big concern I have is losing that access. So I still I'm going to I'm speaking an event tonight with you know, a room full of advisors, so and then you know, we'll get together afterwards and I'll listen to what they have to say. So I'm always interested in feedback that I get from advised. Obviously, I can't spend all day talking on the phone. That's the big reason why I left being an advisor was I recognize, hey, being advisor, you got to talk to your clients. So forth you can't manage money, and we're into you can't do both and anyone that things you can't you know, it's it's crazy and I really want to develop these models. But so so all these communication ways like slim and take is a way to be in touch with advisors, encourage them. Hey, you think you disagree, send me an email. You know, I'm happy to happy to hear from you because I think that's very important and really behavioral finance. You know, the longer I've been in this busin I've been in this business a long time, it's the behavioral finance that's the consistency of this business. Geopolitics changes, right, but how people react is it's not right.
Speaker 2: You can't control what country is invading what other country, but.
Speaker 1: You can manage your own behavior. And people a hard time with that exactly.
Speaker 2: It's really interesting. I know only have you for another five minutes, so let me jump to my favorite questions. I ask all of my guests starting with what have you been screaming these days? Tell us what's been either audio or video? What's been keeping you entertained?
Speaker 1: Yeah, so, if I think about my career, no one took me aside and said this is how you manage money, right, Like, think about it. I learned about fundamental research, I learned about quantitative I learn about the practicality of being in wealth management. And so I've always researched and watched. And what does that do to do with your question is I've learned my way to being successful portfolio managers. So I'm obsessed with kind of always learning along the way. So you know, when I watch podcasts, it's all about well or or listen to podcasts or watch you know things, it's all how to advance my knowledge base. Now, I did play tennis, you know, in college, and so I love all those you know, breakpoint first tea, know the formula one. I love all those things. But but you know, as my wife gets frustrated with me because I'm probably not gonna sit down and watch a three hour mindless movie because it's kind of like not not advancing, huh.
Speaker 2: Really really interesting to tell us about your mentors who helped to.
Speaker 1: Shape your career. So I mean, again, I look at points along the way we're in their valuable. When I got to Morgan Stanley Byron Ween, who you know, I barely knew, but he was the first person that I recognized had this very good touch of fundamentals. But also the psychology, and so he was a great mentor, even though he never really knew me, but listening and reading and understanding him was really important. But then I had a guy who ran our department named Glenn Reagan, who had come from studying money management organizations, and I didn't know how to start on money management organizing because it was a team within and how do you grow and diversify. So there's different people along the way that have really shaped me. I came out of Universe Chicago. Gene Fama told me buy cheap stocks. But then William O'Neill said, yeah, but that doesn't work, and you need to have some momentum to you, you know, like he didn't tell cancel. You need to know you had a little cancelor, so you need to cancel exactly. So there's been people along the way that have been great influences on me, that have mentioned me at the right time in my correct.
Speaker 2: What are some of your favorite books? And what are you reading right now?
Speaker 1: I just finished Same as Ever by Morgan House. Again, this concept of behavioral I will eat up at you put a behavioral anything about behaviors in front of me. I read it so like you know, Richard Thalor or misbehaving or you know, think fast and slow, all those boasts of books. Daniel Crosby is another one all those books. I just but I just finished that and I just love it because again, all he spends the whole book is about these things. They just don't change over to human nature, human human nature. I'll tell you the last story, so or I was tell you story I was. I was on the floor of the New York Stocks Change the day that Russian Vada Crimea and one of my stocks was down. My biggest position was down eight percent that day. And I said, they don't have any stores in Crimea. Why is a stock down? Well, because it was geopolitics, well you know. And within three days the stock came running back. So it's all it points to is sometimes fundamentals dislodge from you know, the stock prices, and you have to understand that there's a behavioral element.
Speaker 2: My favorite version of that story was are you familiar with Cuba? So Obama announces we're going to normalize or start the process of normalizing relationships with Cuba. There's a stock that trades under the symbol Cuba, having nothing whatsoever, and it runs up twenty percent just on the announcement because some algorithm picked up Cuba and bought it and off we go. Amazing. All right, our final two questions, what sort of advice would you give to a recent college grad interested in the career in either investment management or finance.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so it's interested to have for kids that are, you know, in the process of or have just come out of college, or in the process of it. And one of the dangers I see today is kids come out of school and they think they know exactly what they want to do, you know, and then and I'll say, you don't know what your capabilities are when you're twenty two years old. I mean I was an introvert where I was twenty two. I've I've realized in their early thirties, I knew how to communicate. So I all say, get into if you can get into a firm that has a lot of opportunities. You know, today there's less training programs, but those types of things with lots of opportunities. Because you don't know what you're going to be good at and what you're good at, always follow what you think you're interested in as long as it makes money, because that's ultimately, but you don't know initially. So I always encourage people initially, don't come out and say I want to do this the rest of my life. You don't know. That's too narrow. Try to go to something broad. That's the first advice. And I see today we're people too narrow in their focus.
Speaker 2: I think that's great advice. People. Most of the folks I work with who are very successful, they're not doing what they did right out of school. And to imagine that that's going to be your career very much misleading. And our final question, what do you know about the world of investing today that you wish you knew thirty plus years ago when you were first getting started.
Speaker 1: Well, I think, you know, thirty years ago, I thought it was all about just what's going at the company level, and then I realized, oh wait, that doesn't really you know, drive most of a stocks return, So you have to understand more about the broader implications of companies. I think thirty years ago there was less dissemination of fundamental news broadly. Today it's much you know, it's much broader, so having information access fundamentally is more more difficult. So I think the business has changed, but again I go back to I think the biggest change in how I think about it as behaviorally. I've come to the real estate that being an advisor, sitting on the front line. I view that as a very key part of what's shaped my career. Understanding that, you know, again, it doesn't matter that the company didn't have any stories in Crimea it went down for you know quite a bit, or your Cuba story. I mean that there's just a behavioral element to this investing investing business. And look, you know again, I go a great example which I've mentioned before, which is it didn't matter what gross stocks you're own. In twenty twenty two, they all went down right, and so was it. All the companies did poorly, no growth, got too overbought, and so it had a correction. They all came back last year, you know, so understanding kind of those behaviors. I love that Warren Buffett quote investors framed their view looking solidly in the rearview mirror. Understanding that and having the ability to attack against that. That's really what's worked for me over time.
Speaker 2: Really fascinating stuff. Thank you Andrew for being so generous with your time. We have been speaking with Andrew Slimon. He's Managing director at Morgan Stanley Investment Management, where he is also lead portfolio manager for the long equity Strategies for the Applied Equity Advisors team. If you enjoy this conversation, be sure and check out any of the five hundred previous discussions we've done over the past nine and a half years. You can find those at iTunes, Spotify, YouTube, wherever you find your favorite podcast. Sign up for my daily reading list at Ridhelts dot com. Follow me on Twitter at Rittholtz, follow all of the Bloomberg family of podcasts on Twitter at podcasts, and be sure to check out my new podcast, At the Money. Short ten minute conversations with experts about the most important topics affecting you and your money. At the Money can be found at the Masters in Business podcast feed. I would be remiss if I did not thank the Cracked team that helps put these conversations together each week. Meredith Frank is my audio engineer. Attika of Albron is my project manager. Shortan Russo is my head of research. Anna Luke is my producer. I'm Barry Ridolts. You've been listening to masters of business on Bloomberg Radio.