Speaker 1: Mike, check one two. It's your girl, cat and what you're going to do?
Speaker 2: Yeah, hey on the podcast? Check it here we here we go. It's Kat and Maddie. We about to start it up, keep the beat going and going to fire it up on the damn track. But I can't cuss that lot.
Speaker 1: Who gives a hell? Because yeah, Cat Bell, I'm.
Speaker 3: Maddie Kingdon and we're the new hosts of Serving Pancakes and we are so excited.
Speaker 1: Really excited about this segment.
Speaker 2: You have enough for you guys, obviously, you guys know if you don't know me and Maddie really really tight close best friend.
Speaker 1: Do you want to tell him how we met or how the beginning go. You say it better than I do.
Speaker 3: Okay, yeah, I'll start. So it was circa twenty fourteen. Cat Bell played at Texas for those of you who don't know, I played at Arizona Bay're down, and we played each other in the tournament. Yeah, nope, it was no, it was like the first round.
Speaker 1: Did she make the tournament? Okay it was the first round.
Speaker 3: Okay, yes, it was the first round and cat Bell was blocking against me.
Speaker 2: I will say, Maddie is amazing. She slices and dices all the time. So like she was killing it, and the coaches will ye at me in the vins, being like, you know, get in front of her, do something. I'm like, you know what, I was trying put her life up there so I can hit him.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and she was definitely doing that.
Speaker 2: But I only got one opportunity to do what I did, and I got it. And anyway, so cat Bell blocks me straight down boom poom through the night.
Speaker 1: She goes nine in my house and I was like, whoa.
Speaker 2: Something's in the water. And that was her only memory of me until its only memory.
Speaker 1: And then what's happening with mine? Here? Sorry? We played and then we played in fast forward.
Speaker 3: Yeah ten years, ten years later, twenty twenty two. Yeah, almost ten years. We're really good. We don't look old at all.
Speaker 1: It's giving twenty two, like Taylor Swiss says. So we were playing in.
Speaker 2: Turkey, yeah, and all the America, the foreigners normally get together and do dinner stuff together.
Speaker 1: And there was one night that no one showed.
Speaker 3: Up, but there were probably eight people that were invited, and who shows up my arch nemesis.
Speaker 1: I was scared of me, But yeah, she like I was telling people I'm not so sure about her. Everyone says that, and it's fine. I love that. I love beating the have no odds against me and just giving.
Speaker 3: You really don't yes, Yeah, anyway, So then we meet for dinner.
Speaker 1: It's just the two of us. I look at her and I said, I have a.
Speaker 3: Story for you, and I tell her the whole story. And then she was like, I swear I'm not really like that.
Speaker 1: I'm not.
Speaker 2: It's just it's I'm not. It's like my alter ego. You know, you're you know in sports, you know, people changing something else. So I'm on the court like back then. If anyone knows I was playing tex back then, I was definitely like with the.
Speaker 3: Bionic knee, that's all I know. You had the big knee brace on. I was like the other year before that, Yeah, you were covered nicely. The knee is still doing its thing.
Speaker 1: It's still doing the same anyway. So then we had dinner.
Speaker 2: We did shared a bottle of champagne more multiple bottles probably.
Speaker 1: And then now even thickest thieves.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and our coole story you missed it is that Maddie has a thing that she does, like after every season she talks about like her thorn, which would be like I guess, like her.
Speaker 3: The worst part of the season. Yeah, and then the rose would be like the best part. And can I say you Yeah, she ended up telling someone that like her thorn was maybe.
Speaker 1: My coach or something.
Speaker 2: Yeah, put up whatever the season, you know, the record, whatever it was.
Speaker 1: But then she said that I was her rose and.
Speaker 2: You've never forgot it. Sad, but it's really stuck with me. Seriously, you know you did.
Speaker 1: It meant a lot to me.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: Also I can say that truly we're best friends.
Speaker 3: And so this podcast is just going to be us yep, talking about live episode with each other, live volleyball behind the scenes, and then we'll bring in other guests that are also just our good friends in the volleyball community and in love and we'll go from there.
Speaker 2: We want to put you guys in the locker room basically, like if you want to give you all like the goodie, the good the good stuff, the tea, the tea, all the tea.
Speaker 1: We actually have to have a handshape.
Speaker 2: We have it.
Speaker 1: Okay, yeah, this is perfect good, that's perfect Okay.
Speaker 3: So what's on the docket do you want to talk about season one?
Speaker 1: Yeah, do want you talk about it?
Speaker 3: I want to talk about the Roses, Okay, the Thorns.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean Season one of Love, which is the normal season, is amazing. I think, you know, in this league, it can be any team's night, you know, depending who shows up. And it just so happens that on the on the best part.
Speaker 1: Of the the you guys.
Speaker 2: Showed up at the right time, right time, exactly. So the term that got on it bas playoffs. You know, it's almost like make it, take it in. You took it, took it all the way home and we became what fever were you going in? It doesn't matter, it doesn't matter. If you want it, I'll get it, exactly. So anyway, I think because we won, they definitely change the rules now. So next season will this coming up season, we'd be like the top four and said, like the top totally everybody, but season do you like Austin? What's your favorite thing? Your teammates? Love Austin obviously on Jamivership Texas and I'll be able to come back and play for Love Boston. It's almost a full circle moment. And obviously it's like playing with all my friends I'll be able to come back home and play volleyball and see this girl every other week is awesome. Yeah, what about your transitioning from California to Texas.
Speaker 3: California to Texas from ten years abroad to Texas is really really fun. Actually, I like Houston a lot, so all those Houston people. I was unsure favorite thing about Houston though, Ooh, I think, okay, common crazy, but Rodeo season in Houston has got to be my favorite.
Speaker 1: Oh that's awesome. Yeah, I don't know that about it.
Speaker 3: And I started saying, y'all a lot after living in Houston, look at your Texan I know, look.
Speaker 1: At you proud. It's kind of crazy.
Speaker 3: But yeah, we have a really solid team this year. We're having on a new libero is coming to our team. Justine wang Arante is very excited about.
Speaker 1: So.
Speaker 2: She was on the Omaha team at this past season and she's coming to Houston.
Speaker 1: Yes, so very looking forward to that.
Speaker 3: I played with Justine, Micah Hancock, Jordan Thompson, all with national teams.
Speaker 2: All the right now, which is insane the cheat code.
Speaker 3: But yeah, hopefully you never know, but yeah, you never know, true, So I'm really looking forward to that, But we have a lot of new people I think coming into the league.
Speaker 1: We're really talented. Who do you know for us, it's more of like a lot of people are moving around too. Yeah. Lifting.
Speaker 2: There's a lot of foreign players that are coming internationally to come join the league, which is great we have.
Speaker 1: There's a Chinese opposite.
Speaker 2: She's like one of the best opposites in the world, and she's playing for She's playing for Madison. Madison, so she's also good. She's incredible. Yeah, she's amazing.
Speaker 3: And then Annibaus is going to Nebraska rebrand I love Nebraska. Yeah, congratulations, Jordan Larson, Yeah, very cool. Anna, Carolina de Silva's going to love Nebraska. That'll be tough for us, great blocker, tough for everyone.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Alexa Gray is Canadian. She played at BYU.
Speaker 3: Actually, my last ever collegiate match was against Alexa Gray. Isn't that insane? We had the regional against them in twenty fourteen. Wait, no, maybe I was twenty eleven. No, it was my last match.
Speaker 2: I don't think I played John in the playoffs. I think we played John in the regular season. No, I gold, No, we were in the same conference. Was in the fact twelve.
Speaker 1: It was pre season. I don't think so, Okay, maybe you're right. I think I'm absolutely right. You can have this one. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Anyway, So Alexa Gray.
Speaker 1: Played at BA.
Speaker 3: We're talking about Alexa here. You played at BYU. She's been with the Canadian national team for a long time. Yesterday she said she played six years in Italy, which is great for her. She's played for some really really amazing clubs and she's a great player right outside hit her. I'm excited to see her this year. Not to play against her, yeah per se, but to see her ball out. She's an amazing outside hitter.
Speaker 1: Yeah, she can do it all.
Speaker 3: She's got a heavy arm, she'll be she'll be tough for this leek for people to defend against, and for sure especially joining them so they'll have a there.
Speaker 1: There's a lot of good people coming.
Speaker 2: Oh and Chiaco Bagu left the team. That's kind of sad. If you don't know me, Chiaka and Mall, you're like a throppol And they call us the grannies. That's fine because my bionic knee is still working, that's why. But she left us and we're gonna miss her a lot. But the Boston team is stacked, and we're excited to get back and play.
Speaker 1: And practice with them and see what else we can cook up. Who else we have? Yeah, now, well think about it.
Speaker 2: So Eric Sullivan, which is the USA women's national team coach, was also my college coach when I was at Texas.
Speaker 1: So love Austin. It's like built up around Texas.
Speaker 2: It seems like, you know, we have Madison Scanner logan angleson Zoe Jarvis and having fully coming is great. So we're really excited to have him back in the gym and have a really good personationship with Eric. So I'm excited to have him at this like grown adult age and the pro level to see like how he is going to conduct us as a team. I guess orchestra. Yeah, that's awesome.
Speaker 3: And he had his first season with the national team and then he's coming to you. He's like in that head coach mode now, so it's really cool.
Speaker 1: I'm definitely gonna give him a lot of practice, for sure. You know, I'm gonna just we're gonna push his buttons for sure. You're the water. I'm gonna test it.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 1: And this is really like we're being honest on this thing.
Speaker 2: I'm pretty sure Eric said something along the lines of like, I probably shouldn't cut from the team.
Speaker 1: That's I'm pretty.
Speaker 2: Sure he was on the on the side to let me go, and Jared was just like, you know what, she's actually too damn good.
Speaker 1: She's really good at blocking Mattie that one time we got to keep her. Yeah.
Speaker 2: So and she's really good at everything else too. So yeah, and big personality.
Speaker 1: True.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I was made for TV, made the Circle, made two, episode five, twelve minutes and ten seconds. That's where I come in.
Speaker 1: I don't know when I got blocked, but but yeah, but haven't Eric somen me great.
Speaker 2: I'm really excited to come back and have him in the gym and war from him the things that he's gotten to learn from his coaching careers throughout the past ten years as well. So I'm really excited to Anna. That's nice. You have a friend, I mean I have friends.
Speaker 3: My new coach is Sonia and she actually coached a little bit in the in the States. I think she was at Arizona State. I don't fault her for that, but then she coached in Europe. She was at vaki if Bonk last year. Which is like one of the best clubs in Turkey. I think she was there the last two years and she's worked with some really The head coach there is amazing. Jordan Thompson played there a few years ago, played for her under the other coach. And then we also have an assistant coach coming from the same team, and so I think that they're going to be like a really amazing pair.
Speaker 1: And I've talked with her once.
Speaker 3: She seems really awesome and just has a good plan for this season. I think with the team that we have, it should be pretty easy to coach us, is what I think. What do you think? We're pretty stacked, honestly, Like, I think we're gonna have a real matchup this season between the Texas teams.
Speaker 1: I mean, we won't beat us next year, actually we will just actually then what no, just.
Speaker 3: Like season we seem if you started, okay, here's the wanna betted Tomahawk Flaming Steak that you won't beat us, We're gonna.
Speaker 1: Let's do so we can do better than that.
Speaker 2: Okay, Okay, because we didn't beat y'all in the preseason those like friendly matches. Okay, so let's okay, First Okay, we're going first game, first game of the season of us playing each other. Sure, okay, so if we win, Micah Jordan, Justine, Jess Amber, everyone, I need you to listening to this. Coco Madison list, Carly Molly Logan. I'm talking to y'all, everybody, actually, everyone, I'm gonna be warming up on the sidelines just in case if y'all want to jump in the y'all job, y'all, don't.
Speaker 1: I'm coming in. I'm una tell Eric's sub one.
Speaker 2: But for this bet, I need Houston to stand on business. Stand on business here, my ladies.
Speaker 1: Okay, what do you want to bet? I want a really nice meal. Oh my god, it's always food.
Speaker 4: With you, big back big okay, Piggy, would.
Speaker 1: You like just call me a pig? A pig?
Speaker 2: I said it to your face. We're like the same body time, like my figes together. Okay, okay, Okay.
Speaker 1: Nice meal? Okay, where uh oh no boo?
Speaker 2: Carbone like carbone carbone. Okay, do you have one? We'll find one. Yeah, okay, yeah, something Comodo, one of those restaurants. I've never been there. Okay, I have It's really good. Okay, but did you get the three hundred and fifty dollars flaming Tom Malkstay, No, I got something else that was really good, probably on fire.
Speaker 1: It wasn't probably a million dollars.
Speaker 2: It was definitely expensive, but it's fine anyways, really nice meal.
Speaker 1: That's what. You can't go wrong with a really nice dinner. And if it's someone else is paying, you just go for the jugular kid.
Speaker 2: So many drinks, so many appetites, that part of white, perhaps a salad, perhaps not all half.
Speaker 3: That's make sure we clip this so that when we do win, that we can have her just saying all of these outlandish things and then like, we win and then we'll click.
Speaker 2: Well, and also vice versa, because oh, I believe I believe.
Speaker 1: In my team. I'm believing that you definitely I believe in my team.
Speaker 2: Okay, well we're going to see I mean, you guys always beat us anyways. Yeah, hopefully we'll can vamp up and get a Yeah, you actually never beat us. Your team actually never beat ours. You won, but you never beat us, right, what do you mean? We played Omaha, you played Atlanta to go to the final, but we never played you. There was one game you didn't play and we won.
Speaker 1: No, we won the game. Oh yeah, well I.
Speaker 3: Was on the bench, so I don't really know what because because we had the rest. Yeah, and then we went to you guys, Masma, are you sure you won?
Speaker 1: Yes? Yeah, you never beat us.
Speaker 2: Okay, you can stop saying that.
Speaker 1: But you have the trophies.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's what counts at the end, that trophy and got chick okay.
Speaker 1: Gives this season.
Speaker 2: To give some advice about what gifts should be, I will definitely raise my hand to give an opinion. I think if we had like many trophies, that's something that's kind of cool.
Speaker 1: What are you gonna do with that? Put it on display? A mini one, like a like one that's like this big of the Tiffany's one, that would have been cooler.
Speaker 3: Well, I have mine's like a jewelry heart. It's on display. Yeah, but it's still kind of funny looking. No, it's useful. Okay, yeah, she lying.
Speaker 1: You see the trophy that Kelsey Plum got for m v P.
Speaker 3: Yes, okay, we're looking now at the trophy that Kelsey Plum received for All Star MVP, and this thing is mini yeah, and that's.
Speaker 2: Like, yeah, I would have held it in my hand it just only covers her number on her jersey. But I think as like a team thing, I think getting like the small Tiffany's trophy would have been cool.
Speaker 1: This best to half, you know, yeah, this one. This one kind of looks like it's from Aladdin. It looks like from Amazon. Okay, I'll do that.
Speaker 2: It's like, what are the men have for NBA, MVPN NBA. Oh the Michael Jordan Trophy. Oh, it's way bigger, that's oh yeah, give this to Kelsey Plum. Yeah she deserves that.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Fun fact, Kelsey Plum's sister also played volleyball and just got initiated to the Hall of Fame too.
Speaker 1: For what for Oregon? She did Lauren Plum? You go, girl, We love Lauren Plum.
Speaker 2: I've actually played against Lauren Plum and the been there before, oh and the and the finals and wanna yeah, you've never been there.
Speaker 1: You want to know how many national championships have you won? One? But that's enough. That's enough.
Speaker 2: That's an everyone can't say. Everyone's not Michael Hancock, you know, yeah, one can't have four?
Speaker 1: Yeah, but how many does Mike have four? Micah has three or four?
Speaker 2: You Mike?
Speaker 1: She's a dope.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I mean Mike actually just discovered literally two nights ago that, like, she's like my longest volleyball relationship. I've known Micah since when she was going to Tulsa. She's committed to Tulsa. So we put against we put each other in the under om All American Game. Well, and that's when we first became my really good friends. I my first story of meeting Micah maybe similar to yours. I have like these meet cutes with people and then like I circle back with them later. But we were at adult Nationals, like right after we graduated college, and I knew who she was because I was at the All American banquet and she gave a speech that year she.
Speaker 1: Got you're playing for Airs on a Sizzle. Yes, okay, I was playing for Sizzle.
Speaker 3: And then they made an all tournament team and everybody left to go do their thing, but me and Micah and one other person we were the only three that showed up. And so there's a picture of me, Micah and someone else that played pens I can't remember, and we're just sitting like smiling like this. And then I told Micah we met like in twenty sixteen, at national team. I said, Micah, we've met before. She was like, no, I've never met you. And I was like, shame, Yeah, you should immediate shame. Yes, And I said no, I have receipts. I have the photo of us, and it's us just sitting there like smiling together.
Speaker 1: And that's super genuine.
Speaker 2: If she did, if she said that she really did not remember meeting her, It's not like, oh yeah it no, she's nice, she is the best.
Speaker 3: But we were destined to be best friends, so wow, yeah, but we were also I have more than one true mean yeah, okay, yeah cool.
Speaker 1: Who's your best day on your team? Malli? Now that is gone? Yeah, well they were. It was I would say two of them equally, but definitely Mally.
Speaker 2: But Mali's like my best tea on the team is going to be the two of us this season, and we're all kind of like, you know, o G's too, So this.
Speaker 1: Is really cool.
Speaker 2: Do you like to like be playing back now in the States and from college and playing a row for the past ten years and now we're already played I was Korea, Turkey, China, the Philippines, Puerto Rico.
Speaker 1: I guess I'm all over. Yeah, Where was your favorite favorite for whatever reason? Food, people, volleyball. I would say probably two. Yeah, Turkey was.
Speaker 2: I do like to enjoy turkey, But I say thriller in Manila. They called me the killer in Manila. The Philippines is.
Speaker 1: What they do. I believe you. Yeah, at the Philippines. I love the Philippines.
Speaker 2: I actually turned down offered to go play during the season to come right now.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the seasons right now. I think you made the right choice. Yeah, except people, why people?
Speaker 2: Why you?
Speaker 1: Overall? Yeah, it's good to be back home and I'm able to live a real like.
Speaker 3: Pro life at home. Yea my own omaha, right now. We've had some fun experiences. Yeah, we did karaoke. Yeah, we went mini golfe. We like to be out in the community. Yeah, I would say we got we have to be doing stuff. Yeah, we're doers, not really a stay at home.
Speaker 2: No.
Speaker 1: No, on an off day, you won't find me just in my room. We're going to find us at a foot spot, that's for sure. Getting new dogs. I'm horse from karaoke, but we I also sang almost every song I know.
Speaker 2: Everyone everybody was like, I don't know, I don't know, and We're just like the mike.
Speaker 1: We love karaoke. It was fun. It was a lot of fun.
Speaker 3: Our first song was super Bass by Nicki Mina, and then we sing Shallow, and then we sang.
Speaker 1: Maddie made me sing the man part in Shallow.
Speaker 3: No, you said, because you said I can, I can hit the low office. That's funny word seeing she goes need to go lower.
Speaker 1: I'm like, I'm trying, you know, and you're, lady, I'm talented. You are very thank you.
Speaker 3: And then we sang Love by Kisha Cole. That was a that was a hit, kind of like success. Everyone sang that song to you last night.
Speaker 1: And then you know, it was a group effort and somebody put on Unwritten and the group was going wild. I felt like I almost shed a tear. Yeah, it was like a very girlhood moment.
Speaker 2: It was.
Speaker 1: I was looking around.
Speaker 3: I was like, this is the sweetest thing I've ever seen. But we had, I mean, any of the songs actually knew mostly all the song.
Speaker 1: I just kept grabbing the mic. If I felt like someone wasn't really getting into it, I'm like, this is the performance, you know what I mean? You gotta really just if there's one thing good. You know it's performed. Yeah, yeah, and I definitely did that.
Speaker 3: Who do we have coming up on our episodes that we could give like a little teaser about what we're doing first, Micah maybe Micah Handcott. Alexa Gray would be a really good one. Jordan Thompson ever heard of her?
Speaker 1: Is that? Okay?
Speaker 2: Molly mckaye, Molly mcage, Tory Dixon, Grey Dixon, Haiti.
Speaker 1: Oh, that would be fun them together to be funny. Oh, yesterday we did when we did karaoke saying in Spanish with Haiti. Oh, I saw that. I joined in too. It's actually really hard to read, I know from you and started singing. No, I had it the whole time. Oh, I took it from somebody then, probably from Haiti. You know Spanish. We don't know Spanish. You can do this, I speaking Spanior. Yeah, Magusta and Khanta.
Speaker 3: That's singing sing okay and gun tu right, someone fact check me on that.
Speaker 1: I can google that. Yeah.
Speaker 2: We're gonna have some special guests coming up throughout the season and we're really excited to yeah and speak with them and you guys get to know them and see our relationship with them and just We're.
Speaker 3: Just have candid, casual conversation and just see how much fun we have with each other, because this league is the most fun.
Speaker 1: This league is insane.
Speaker 2: Like last year was very also competitive, but this year, like they really I'm not for sure, Like I feel like I'm actually trying.
Speaker 3: You weren't not that much, Catherine, what you were when I was going in, I was like, oh no they put that and no last year yeah yeah you were doing great.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but but like it was just you know, huh.
Speaker 2: But I've been working out, I know, and you know, I came in here like ready to go because I'm you know, this roster is deep, AF can.
Speaker 1: You say AF? Yeah, it's appreciating, Sure it is. This.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's gonna be really interesting to see who wins this year. Yeah, it's it's gonna be really interesting.
Speaker 1: I think so too.
Speaker 2: It's any man's game, I think the women's game. Any woman's game. Come on, sorry, women's right, you'll be great, Thank you you too. We'll see who finishes at the end. We're getting there. Yeah, and knocked the dust off. I took a couple of months off. Like riding a bike, a slow bike.
Speaker 1: Very slow, and then you go really fast and you just keep going and then you're neither then your shoulder you're holding on some time for the life. You're just riding.
Speaker 2: Then my back is like what if you do something over the handle bars and still driving so fast?
Speaker 1: Sorry, I didn't know you biked like that. I mean, I'm sweating you sane. Well, this is hilarious anyway.
Speaker 2: Anyway, we're really excited for you guys to keep joining in on us and joining in on us.
Speaker 1: Yes, I like that.
Speaker 3: For season two of Serving Pancakes and season two of Love, we're very excited and uh looking forward to everything that's to come.
Speaker 2: Yeah, stay tuned and we'll see y'all on the flip side. On the pancake flip side, we play, oh oh yeah, okay we should flip yeah, clap flip and then okay, flip towards the thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah flip see yeah, we'll get it. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Serving Pancakes is an iheartwomen's sports production and partnership with Deep Blue Sports Entertainment.
Speaker 1: You can find us on the iHeartRadio app, Apple podcast, or wherever you get your podcast.
Speaker 2: Production by the League one Volleyball, we're your hosts, Kat Beell and Mattie Rachelle, Anya Alvarez and Noah Snyder are executive producers. Sound editing and mixing by Tiffany Oshinsky. Stay tuned as we serve you up more behind the scenes in volleyball every week.
Speaker 1: Thanks for listening.