Speaker 1: Hey, ba fan, Mandy here or Mandra, you can call me Mandra, that's fine. I have a simple request for you, guys. We get so many questions on how you can support the show, and there's really a very very simple thing that we need you guys to do. Open up this app, open up wherever you're listening to this podcast right now, and subscribe if you have the ability, especially those of you who are on iTunes. We're really making a push to get the show more visible. You've seen that we've partnered with a fabulous new network called Westwood One. But we also need the support of our listeners. So if you are a listener, loyal listener, please subscribe, and if you haven't yet, take a few seconds and leave a five star review, and even a written review would be the icing on the cake. But at least subscribe, leave us a five star review, and continue to support the show. This is so so crucial. It is basically how we tell the Internet that our podcast is worth promoting and featuring and getting charted, and we deserve to be at the top of the charts just like any other show out there. We can't do it without your support, so thank you very very much. Subscribe, like and review the show, and we thank you so much.
Speaker 2: Hey hey, hey, we're back.
Speaker 3: We're bled, We're brown.
Speaker 4: Hey, Hey, hey Mandra.
Speaker 1: Hey happy bran ambition Wednesday.
Speaker 3: Oh, how have you been since the last time we chatted?
Speaker 1: You know who even knows? I think since we last chatted it was we passed the year anniversary of COVID, So a lot of feelings have been felt on my side, a lot of looking back at old photos of me and the baby one year ago kind of like where I was, and it's like, oh, yeah, my mom was here and I had just started on my you know, seeing my psychiatrist and trying to get my mental health in check. And I remember it was around this time we finally finally got an editor. So hey, shout out to Keli for all the help. And yeah, it was such a It was a huge turning point for me as a as a mom, as a career person, a career woman, and just a human being in this world. So yeah, I did. I did a lot of like reflecting and trying to just be grateful for having come out on the other side almost and got my vaccine appointment. My husband's got his coming up this week, and we're we're cautiously feeling dare I say a little tiny optimistic about you know, the year to come?
Speaker 3: That's good, that's good. Honestly, it's just been we're winding down, you know, books stuff and also to so if you have not voted for me for NAACP Award, hello, hit up my socials, especially my Instagram.
Speaker 4: You'll see a picture somewhere. You can vote every day, y'all. Even though you know I did it twice? You did?
Speaker 1: I remember two times?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 1: Look at you?
Speaker 3: So you know this is your reminder vote for me this today. But today you know I always go down like the YouTube rabbit hole. I don't know if it's you if you do that, Like when I can't sleep, I'm like, what's on YouTube? And lately I've been seeing a lot of videos about something called hypergamy. Have you heard of hypergamy before?
Speaker 1: I have not. When you originally asked me, I was like, say who to what? And I'm the kind of person who wants to feel like I know everything, But I have to admit, never heard of it, no idea what it is? So edgem acat me.
Speaker 3: So. According to the Wikipedia, hypergamy commonly referred to as quote unquote marrying up, occasionally referred to as.
Speaker 4: Well, never mind't worry about that part.
Speaker 3: But it's a term used in social science for the act or practice of a person marrying a spouse of higher cast or social status in themselves. Typically from what I've seen, like when I've seen like on like, it's been a lot on social media. There's a lot of Instagram accounts that talk about hypergamy. Typically when marrying up, it's usually like a man with money with more money than them, like, you know, looking specifically for man who had more money. So I was in this Clubhouse group, like when Clubhouse first came out, and they were talking about does the person you date or does the man you date have to make multiple six figures or something to that effect. But I went in there, and you know, there were a lot of people who were like shaming women who wanted a partner that made, you know, good money, And there were a lot of people who were also like, no, they don't have to. But I just shared that, like, you know, my husband doesn't make more than I do. He doesn't make multiple six figures, and you know, we are happy and stable. What do you think about that. So it is a practice that that I see is not new, but it seems like just from like reading and watching these YouTube videos, that it's something that's being introduced to black and brown women more than ever before. And for some reason, so many women who are black and brown are being shamed for saying, hey, I would like a partner that makes a certain amount of money, and they're like, hey, how come I can't say that, but our white counterparts, those women can say that. You know, like we look at women when they marry up and we're like, oh, that's good. But as soon as a black woman is like, hey, you know, I'd like a man who makes this amount of money because I want to be I want to be kept in a certain fashion if I want to be kept at all, or maybe I make this a certain amount of money and I'd like for him to match me, you know.
Speaker 1: I mean, yeah, so I'm curious. I mean to like, yes, you and Superman have a there's a big you know, you've talked about the disparity and your income and the gap there, but when you originally met Superman, you certainly weren't like the budget needs to Superstar, you know, so at the time do you remember and you were looking, you know, for a partner. I don't know if you were looking or not, of Superman just fell into a lot because you lucky like that.
Speaker 4: But no, you're right, I was you approach it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, girl, we was neck and neck, okay, because we were like we were in our early twenties when I first met him, and we'll know he's met me. So we were like I was literally just starting my like preschool teaching. I honestly, we probably were making around the same amount. Who knows, I was making thirty nine thousand, maybe he was making a little bit less. But when I also too, I wasn't looking for like a permanent partner. I was just like, oh, he's cute, he's nice, and so we dated a little bit, and then when I was thirty when we met again, I mean, he definitely was making more than me because I was making it nothing, that's what I had just lost my job, but I was just like, unemployment is my employer.
Speaker 4: That was the only check a system was getting.
Speaker 3: And then when we started to date, like the last and final time, when I was like about thirty four, I.
Speaker 4: Was making a little bit more than him.
Speaker 3: But well, no, that's not even true because at thirty four my business was making more, but probably my take home we were probably like to your point, around neck and Nick maybe slightly more. But then obviously since being with him, I've grown tremendously. So to your point, I don't know if I met him Tiffany now to where he is now, what that would have been. But because we kind of grew up together financially, and he provided a safe space for me to like flourish and grow. So to your point, you're right, it's probably not a fair comparison to say like, well, hey, I'm everything's good over here. It's like, yeah, but you guys started off at the same you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think in an ideal world, the thing is not everybody has that is not, you know, married to someone that they met in their early twenties, like I. You know, I met my husband when I was twenty four, and we were same as you and Superman, you know, financially, you know, on a similar path, and he was finishing up his masters and moving up in his you know, his government job, and I was just a I was a writer, and we both had career ambitions. But for me, I don't think there's anything wrong with looking for certain attributes and a partner. And is hype is a hypergamy? Is that just like heterosexual relationships? Is it only when a woman is looking for a man.
Speaker 3: No, it's just like more basically, it's quote unquote leveling up. Like there's this, For example, there's a woman, this one is a white woman, but her name is what is her name? But she's got this this like social media channel and Instagram and YouTube channel called school of Affluence. Her name is Annabe. That's what it is, Annabe. And she's grown tremendously. I think she was out for like two years. She's already got like a million here and like, but she teaches hypogamy like looking for a partner, she teaches. Yeah, she literally her school, her school of Hype of Affluence, is to teach you how to attract a man.
Speaker 4: Of means interesting.
Speaker 1: Well, what I was what I was gonna say is not everyone is in a position where they are in the early twenties and they meet their partner, they don't have any Well, in your case, Superman did have a child from a previous relationship. But I think it's very different. Like for example, when my mom had divorced my dad and she had four kids, like under the age of thirteen, and she, you know, was I remember, I have such fond memories of her starting to date when I was like twelve, and she would have these you know, she'd go online match dot Com or whatever it was back e Harmony and she would, yeah, she would be dating, and in her position, I can totally understand how she was like, yeah, I'm not gonna I'm not gonna even entertain the idea of dating someone who's not able to you know, support himself at the very least, because like, I got all these kids. So I do think for women in certain positions, you know, you may be it just may be reality, like I need an additional income and or I, you know, I'm making ends meet as a single parent, and additional income would be nice. And you don't want to marry someone who has a bunch of debt or you know, can't manage their their finances, so I I yees. So I feel like context is everything, And I completely see why someone would intentionally go out into the dating scene knowing that they wanted someone and you know, man or woman or whoever wanted someone in a certain financial position. I think where I get uncomfortable is the idea of or honestly, you know, to each their own right. But for me, what makes me more uncomfortable is the notion the idea of pursuing someone of a certain income or class. I don't know, it seems so like weird to say class, but it very much exists with the idea that you just need someone to take care of you, because, like, I think, what both of our stories have shown is that the balance, like the seesaw in a relationship, financial seesaw, Like we're doing better, you know, financially where you and I are bringing in more than our partners now, But like the what if the balance shifts over time, and that very much can happen. You know, someone can lose a job or or something happens to knock that balance out of whack, and then all of a sudden, you know, you may need to support the other person financially or you know, carry more of that financial responsibility. And I think couples should be like I don't. I feel like each person should carry the weight and responsibility of supporting the household. And and I worry about a person going out there expecting to find someone to take care of them financially without taking care of their own financial house and making sure that they have you know, employable skills and savings and have their own like financial their own financial footing before they go and pursue, you know, someone to just I think you said kept earlier, and I hate that for kept woman, like someone who's who's just gonna, yeah, gonna just bankroll your life. That to me is a little bit more challenging to to wrap my head around.
Speaker 3: So I'll share kind of like what I guess from like watching some of Anna's videos, it seems like and there's a couple, like I said, Anna's white, but it strikes me that when she shares her hypergamy thoughts, it's.
Speaker 4: Yes, okay, and this is so great. And then there's other people.
Speaker 3: There's like a woman named Chrissy or something like that that she does hypergamy. There's a couple other black women online and it's like you gold digger, you whore you. I'm like, oh, whoa, whoa, whoa whoa. You know, So that that kind of had a red because at first I was like, I don't get it. I'm because you know, I'm fiercely independent like you, Mandy. So I didn't get it, but when I saw the difference, I said, well, let me put aside my you know, bias about like what I want for me and to see like what's really going on here. So Banana shares it's not and this is her thinking that what she brings to the table is beauty, youth, the ability to take care of home children, to be a hostess like that. I'm not bringing maybe financials to the table, but I'm taking care of you in totality, so in exchange for that, you take care of me. It just looks different, right, And so you know, I'm not saying I agree or disagree. I'm just sharing that that's like the that's the thinking and that like she does a lot of like like classes or culture. Even her YouTube videos of most those are all free. But it's like things to where to attract a rich man, were rich men?
Speaker 4: Vacation?
Speaker 3: How to sit with class how and so you should see the comments. It's just really interesting because you know, there's been so much misindependent, you know, like but then you read all these comments and it's just like, thank you so much, Anna, thank you so much, Anna, Thank you so much.
Speaker 1: Anna.
Speaker 3: And I'm like, oh wow, there's just a lot of women who connect with that message. But like I said, there are black YouTube accounts that talk about hypergamy, but they definitely get attacked more but more so, it seems like the black YouTubers to talk about hypergamy. It's less about necessarily like the man is going to take care of you or whoever, but more so because we all know that, you know, black women, I mean, I'm just making more than men on average. More so finding someone who matches or at least semi surpasses what you're doing. So less about being taken care of and more about like, well I make six figures, do you? And although not to say that there isn't some like you know some of that in the and a messaging which is like you know, I will take care of the children, I will take care of the home.
Speaker 4: It's thinking about like leave it to beaver.
Speaker 3: That's the thinking that like, as the woman and the wife, I am here to make sure that your needs are taken care of in the bedroom, in the kitchen, with the kids.
Speaker 4: I do all of that.
Speaker 3: But in exchange for that, you make sure that we don't have to worry about where we're going to sleep, what we're gonna eat, and not to say necessarily going to be living in the lap of luxury, but that I am taking care of I don't have to worry about those things. And so it's just really interesting because there's, you know, there's some visceral reactions. I guess the reason why it struck me, and I'd love to hear you know, Brownavisson, your listeners, like your thought process. What to me, what bothers me about hypergamy is not the hypergamy itself.
Speaker 4: It's like, girl, sister, do whatever you want to do.
Speaker 3: I don't like the double standards for black women and brown women compared to like if someone else another race, specifically white women, when their hypergama is it's like, oh, yes, of course, Sarah went to Princeton so she can find her a Princeton man who works.
Speaker 4: For But like Tanisha, look at this hole. She trying to come up like you.
Speaker 1: Know what I mean, Like, oh, well, what do you think it is? I mean, my I'm trying to think for you know, why are women or was that I said?
Speaker 4: Racism? Oh?
Speaker 1: But is the is the But honestly, though, do you feel like black and brow women who are into this concept of hypergamy are being attacked by other black and brown women or is it like white women who are attacking them, because I wouldn't be surprised if because I don't know this, this like it reminds me of, uh, it reminds me of like that old you know, trope of an angry black woman who who doesn't want to you know, who who is is hard for a black man to be with, and that stereotype that black women, you know, expect too much and all they care about is money and just yeah, having someone to provide for them, and like that is kind of what makes me feel uncomfortable about it, because you know, I don't think that's very fair. I think as a black woman, if you are looking for partnership, you should you should feel shameless about pursuing a relationship and looking for someone who is financially secure or at least on a path toward financial security. And if you have additional responsibilities, like if you got kids, or you you're a small business owner and you're in your income is a little not secure at the time. I don't blame you for a second for not wasting time with a potential mate who may not be you know, on their own path toward financial security or able to back you up, you know, while you're while you're building your thing. I think that's just a partnership.
Speaker 3: So it's funny because like in the black hYP hypergammy world, they call those men who are not able to take care of themselves or whatever the dusties. So like, girl, do not waste her time with that dusty. I'm not gonna lie get a little giggle.
Speaker 1: Out of that. I'm glad I did not know about this whole debate.
Speaker 3: I just like, I'm not gonna lie I get into so much, like cause I you know, sometimes i have a hard time, like going to sleep, and I'm just like, oh, I'll just like like I'll turn on like you know, I go to YouTube and YouTube will suggest a video, and I remember I was like, what's this like School of Affluence? And honestly, the reason why I clicked on School of Affluence is because I thought she was teaching you like how to.
Speaker 4: Like make money, you know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And so I'm watching it, I'm like, wait, I don't get it. So a lot of it is about women being softer and pinker, even for black women like how to be softer, so let the man be a man, and like, you know, it doesn't resonate with me because I'm just like you know, I'm rock hard, but like let the man be a man and you know, and like I don't know, like like I said, it's foreign to me because well, you know, it's so crazy because it's it's not really foreign to me because I'm Nigerian and I'm not gonna lie that hypergamy is something that is practiced traditionally in my culture. That will one that women are expected to be subservient in some ways like old school ways to their husbands, but husbands are expected to be financial providers, like literally when they don't do this much anymore because it's like so like to me, it's just crazy. Like but if you if I was living in the village to say, like you know, fifty years ago and a man wanted to marry me, he would have to come to my father ask for my hand and he would have to give a dowry basically buying you, but.
Speaker 4: You mayn't give.
Speaker 1: I've been to a Nigerian wedding and the part where they bring out no the day one I forget if it was a two day thing or if they did did the Nigerian wedding first and then the American one. But yeah, when they had to, I mean she was sitting on just a throne of presents, a presus.
Speaker 2: Yes.
Speaker 3: I was like, that is great, that's hypergamy. That was like the man saying, look at my wealth. I am able to take care of your daughter and any off break spring that may come.
Speaker 4: So you see.
Speaker 3: So it's like, even though I'm saying like it's foreign to me, it's really not. Because that's why I'm not gonna lie. When I brought Durell home, my parents were like, I don't understand what's happening. They were like, because Nigeria's actually encourage you oftentimes to marry older men, not like way older, but like somebody more established. I'll say that. You know, so you're twenty and maybe he's thirty. Like my father is eleven years older than my mother, so he was more established. So it's not actually foreign to me. It's just not. But it's so odd because as much as that's part of my culture, Like, and my father is actually pretty traditional Nigerian man. He really raised us to be fiercely independent, and he said, I want that when you do marry, if you decide to marry, that you are there not because you need someone to financially support you, but because this is the person you want to be with. So it was odd and how traditional he is. But then when it came to his daughters, he was like a second thought, you know what, I need you guys to have it together because what's not gonna happen. And I suspect it's because I didn't have any brothers. So traditionally, what you would do is that your brothers would be financially responsible for you if your father's not here, and then you know, then pass on that responsibility to your husband. But there were no brothers, so my fathers was like, well, you're gonna have to be the brothers for yourself. But yeah, I just thought that was interesting because there's this guy named Kevin Samuels. I know you're probably like, who girl, If you're in a good mood, I probably wouldn't.
Speaker 1: Watch it the heavy sigh.
Speaker 3: Because Kevin Samuels is a quote unquote relationship guru.
Speaker 4: I can't even give him that.
Speaker 3: Basically, he brates black women and it's terrible to watch it's gotten very popular. I don't know why. It's almost like hate watching. I don't know if that's what people are doing. So anyway, women come on to say, hey, Kevin, you know, I don't know why I haven't found a mate yet.
Speaker 4: And it's mostly black women.
Speaker 3: And he basically tells you like he'll ask him one, well, what number do you think you are?
Speaker 4: I think I'm a seven? You think you were seven? You are four? This is what he's.
Speaker 3: Saying on ID Live, but literally on average twenty thirty thousand people watching. And then she's like, well, I know I don't think i'm before you are, for you're heavy set, right, That's not a question, it's a fact. And then I'm like, oh my goodness, Oh my goodness, it's so terrible.
Speaker 4: Do you have children?
Speaker 2: Well?
Speaker 4: Who would want that you had a degree? Nobody cares about that.
Speaker 3: It is so bad, And I just oh, I just want to hug the women that he talks too crazy like that and ask them why are you taking this? You know from him? If you're past thirty, too bad for you? You have a child, Oh, well, for you, don't nobody want you? Like if you were to watched this man quote unquote council people. You would think that if you are a black woman over the age of thirty, god forbid you have a child, that you'll never find a man. He calls it a man of high quality who's going to want you. And like he said that Beyonce's a seven. I'm like, this is how I knew that.
Speaker 4: He just feel himself.
Speaker 3: Can you imagine this raggedy old man because he's old, This raggedy old man talking about Beyonce's seven.
Speaker 1: Pay Actually I'm looking at his instead, and I notice the only people I know we have in common who follow him are black men.
Speaker 4: So is that trouble? They love it? No, he's a black man loves me. He's like, oh, y'all, y'all.
Speaker 3: The black man in the comments will say, like, you know, oh, he's telling y'all the truth.
Speaker 4: Y'all see y'all.
Speaker 3: Don't want to hit the truth. I'm like, first of all, you're a dusty. You have nothing to bring to not all obviously all black men, because I love me and my black man. My father's black, my husband's black. But like the ones that in the comments like yeah, Tellor Taylor, I'm like bright, nobody wants you, sir, Yes, and so like it just it's it's to me, there's this like upswelling of conversation about black women and worth in partnership that it's like coming to them to the forefront more now than ever because of like this Kevin Samuel's guy, because of this hypergamy movement. And I'm just curious to see what our audience thinks and feels about it. Like you know, I I think this that you get to decide for you what it is that you want for you. You're not a child. Everyone gets to this side. If you want to hit a man makes three hundred thousand dollars a year, okay, Sis, if you want to if you want a man that's a scientist or whatever, Okay. I just feel like it is not for anyone to decide what you want for you. And just like yeah, I just because I knew what I wanted and I made it very clear, and that's what I married, you know, like I was like I wanted. I wasn't worried so much about the money park because I'm gonna lie, ever since i've been little old people have been telling me I'm gonna be rich my whole life. So I was like, I'm good on that, But I wanted somebody I remember saying, who was intrinsically kind, because I know that sometimes I can get on somebody's nerves and I wanted someone who wasn't gonna snap, crackle and pop when I got on their nerves. And Superman his natural tendency is kindness. I wanted somebody who's really considerate, which he is. And I really wanted something that I like to call a sureness of love, like even if we're you know, you know, not really feeling each other at this moment of time because maybe you know, maybe we had a disagreement or whatever, that there's one hundred thousand percent, no matter where I go or where I am or what's happened, that I know one hundred thousand percent that you love me. And I have that with him, and so to me, everything else was like cherring on top of the cake. I had to get clear with myself what I needed, not just wanted, but what I needed in order to feel like I, you know, I was okay in marriage and partnership. And I think that every woman has a right to decide that, well, every person really has a right to decide that for themselves.
Speaker 4: But yeah, girl, dig down the Road watch one of those videos.
Speaker 3: You're going to cringe, But I think it's important for you to see, like how hard it is out here for black and brown women, how people basically tell them you ain't ish and some of them are starting to believe it because of men like Kevin Samuels, because people tell them that they don't deserve to level up or marry up. And I just think that, like, you know, like although it might not be for me, I don't know necessarily think that I'm here to judge that you know that you shouldn't you shouldn't go for what you want.
Speaker 1: I mean, I think this is the last moment in history when we need to be finding reasons to not lift up and instances of black love when we can, and not just black love, but couples who are who are on the on the same path financially like and I think that's why, you know, people like our Rich Journey Christina and Iman, and then even even the who's the other the the couple the personal finance bloggers is a Tay and Tallet. I forget their names, yes, but they're amazing, and I feel like just just seeing just seeing two you know, people in a relationship. And I know these are both heterosexual examples, but any at any rate in this in this country is damn hard enough to be a single black woman or a black man, or a black person in general making it. And I think we need to support one another. And there's something really beautiful to me about coming together as partners and helping each other level up financially and that you know, I that those are the stories I like to to hear. And I love when we get those questions from our listeners who are like, yeah, I mean my husband, we're you know, we're working on paying off his debt or my dead and we're doing it together. I think that's the path to success. So yeah, I mean, you may find if you're looking for someone at a certain price point that they don't have those you know, those soft skills as we say, like how it'd be nice money. Yeah, the soft skills that you can't really teach it a partner, communication, kindness, empathy, all that kind of stuff. So I think, but some people need to go on their own journey and find out what they what they value and why they move value. Would and you know, I would let's let's I feel like we should, uh, they should do like a revisit of people who went on the hypergamy track. Am I saying?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 1: Yeah, you let's see flow up in five years right now, like ninety day fiance after the ninety day.
Speaker 4: Now and honestly, be a listeners.
Speaker 3: If you practice hypergamy and you're super happy that you did, you've been married or with the partnership, share with us. If you practice hypergammy and you're like, girl, why we would like to hear that too. Honestly, I think that that would be like, you know, I message us, tweet us, you know, at the BA podcast on what's called it Twitter, because I'm just really curious about like what how our listeners navigate and just what they think about that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so that was it.
Speaker 3: I just thought that was interesting because I was like, oh wait, I tell man, I'm telling you Mandy, like, don't do when you're in a good mood. Well, I don't know if he's doing a bad mood, but Kevin Samuels, You're gonna be like what. I Sometimes I want to get a comments and be like yeah, no what, But I'm like Tiffany.
Speaker 1: Girl, I'm disturbed by the amount of people who follow him, But I.
Speaker 3: Mean, what should disturb you even more is that literally five times the amount of people that follow him actually watch at a time, meaning like I don't know how many followers he has, but you'll why.
Speaker 4: And you'll look and you say, wait, how many people are alive?
Speaker 3: Because I stumbled across him because on the top sometimes they have like suggested lives, and I was like, what's this?
Speaker 4: Why are so many people on here? I was like, wait, is this real? Wait what you know?
Speaker 1: And I was gonna say whose name I love?
Speaker 3: Yeah? So she is like a B A yeah, b A y. She is school of affluence. And Kevin Samuel's like.
Speaker 1: Don't follow him, but we're gonna go k.
Speaker 4: We're gonna yeah, go lurk, go work. And look what he does. Look at this picture. You see this woman how they how he has her face? You see that?
Speaker 3: No, like the second the second picture with a black woman with the striped shirt. That's the type of shame, like he you see what I mean? Like, huh he always but lookout he has displayed the white women below, the white woman with the with the with the white hair. Yes, he Someone was like if you hate black women, just say so, Kevin, who hurts you? Because the way he goes at black women, the way he drags them down, he is he should be ashamed of himself because I know your grandmother's black, I know your great great great grandmother, and I know your mother black like I just like why so? And the fact that people watch and listen and decide and say yes, you know like I am. You know I deserve to be talked to that way.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well that's why you guys come to brown ambition. We don't talk to you though. This is a safe space, all right. Hypergamy, all right, dope, And if you guys follow anyone else who has written or talked or I don't know, especially I love how you say practice hypergamy like it's a religion or something. But then we're way.
Speaker 3: We'd love to feel bad because we don't have any Like I don't know any black women hypergamy accounts, but I know they exist for yees, send them, like, tag me in them because I would love to be able to share those.
Speaker 4: Accounts in case you guys are interested in learning more.
Speaker 1: Okay, dope, all right, Well let's take a quick quick break and then We're gonna come back and talk about those stemmys.
Speaker 4: Simmy.
Speaker 1: Stimmy started hitting bank accounts this weekend. But we'll talk about even more than that. Just what is in this one point nine trillion dollar gift of a piece of legislation that just passed last week? Be right back, all right, we are back in black and brown and Stimmy's. I finally started saying Stimmy's because like, I'm cool, you know what I mean? Uh, Twitter was all it was hilarious. So the bill only passed. What is today's March fifteenth. We're recording on Monday. The bill only Biden signed this into legislation, like Thursday into law. Sorry, and Thursday, that's only a few days ago. But already this weekend he got the expedited shipping for those direct deposits. Because already this weekend Twitter was a buzz and it looks like a lot of people are already getting their fourteen dollars checks if they qualified. So if you've got a wind if you've got a windfall in your bake account, over the hold something, Let me hold something, now, well, what do you actually We ran a survey at ally to kind of ask folks how they would be spending their stimulus and would they be saving it? And this is only it's really sad. This is the only third This is the third time we have been given or a lot of people have been given stimulus checks like this, and it seems in just from this little survey that we did, still people are holding on to the money, like we're gonna save this, maybe we'll pay off debt, but saving is probably the biggest plans that people have for this extra windfall. Tiff Like, what do you what do you say to people, because that's one of the questions we're gonna get to y'all's questions about the package, But several people asked, you know, what would you say, I should do it it? Save it, invest it, use it to pay down debt. How do you And it's not one hundred million dollars, it's fourteen hundred so there's only limited amount of time things you can do with it. So what's your take, Tiffany on that question?
Speaker 3: Well, I always think first and foremost you should look at like the greatest need right now, right So saving would be great, Investing it would be great. But if there's no food in the house, you need to buy food, If there is a bill that you need to pay that it's going to put your family in jeopardy with your health and their safety, you want to take care of those. So I always say, first and foremost, take care of your health and safety expenses. So that's like food, shelter, clothing, water, like you know those things. And if there's money left over from those things and you might be behind on something, then you can take care of something that you might be behind on. And then if there's still money left over, if you take care of some of the things that you're behind on, you know, if you want to start putting some aside. I wouldn't be aggressive of paying down debt. I'd be more aggressive with savings because now more than ever, we saw that like even if you're someone who was, like I had one year's worth the savings, well we're a year in and if you still didn't have income, you could be in some real trouble right now. So I would put some toward debt, but i'd be more aggressive towards savings. But first and foremost, health and safety expenses first and foremost. And if you're someone who was fine across the board, maybe you're in a field in an industry that didn't see you know nothing, you know, the industry actually grew or whatever. You're doing fine, then yes, you have your your bills are paid, you're not behind your you know you your debt is being properly managed, and certainly you can look into investing. If you're in that position and you're and your your savings account is fully funded, then yes you can look into investing that money. I know some people are like, invest right away because the market, but I'm like, you know, there's risk with investment, with investing, and sure, like you know, things turned out great for so many people, but there's just no way to know for sure. So you never want to invest money that you can't stand to lose.
Speaker 1: Exactly one hundred percent. So here's a question from Instagram. I had posted over the weekend, just some facts about the relief package, and Instagram listener DJ said, how do college students or dependents get the stimulus check? And that's one unique thing about this particular stimulus payment is that for the first time, you know, in the past, if you were a college student or a dependent, you actually didn't qualify for your own check. But this most recent bill, if you are over age seventeen, but you're still claimed as a dependent. That could be a lot of college students. You can qualify for your own stimulus check, and as far as like how you get the stimulus check, filing taxes is the easiest way that I can There's no like sign up, you know, I think people are waiting to like get some alert or get a piece of mail that says, do you want to sign up to get your direct payment? The best thing you can do is file your taxes at least for twenty nineteen. If you've already done it for twenty twenty, great, so that the IRS knows where to find you, they know who your dependents are, they know how much you earn. Because you know, there are income caps on who qualifies for the payment. Not everybody qualifies. So yeah, if you're in college in DJ, if you're wondering how you can get that check or direct payment, yeah, filing your taxes is probably the the easiest way to do it.
Speaker 3: Yeah. No, I think, yeah, that's good because I know there was a lot of college students that were like, that's not fair, like how do I you know, basically, I'm like, well, you before it was like you're gonna have to go to your parent and ask them to they've done their taxes to amend them so you could be independent and follow on your own, like sis, mom ain't doing that.
Speaker 4: Mom Duke's is. She's not doing that, Like you.
Speaker 3: Are dependent on her. She's going to use that money to continue to take care of you. But so it's good to know because there are some college students, although they are technically dependent on their parents, they you know, they really do take care of a lot of their own financial responsibilities.
Speaker 4: So that's good.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well here's another question. Let me see, I can't really decide what her we'll call her Drea because there's a lot of letters in her Instagram handle. I don't know what they add up to be Drea. Drea said, So should she ask? Should I take the fourteen hundred dollars and open up a UGMA account for my child? She's eighteen months So UGMA account we actually don't talk about very much, but it's the Uniform Gift to Minor account and they basically allow parents to save money and invest and maintain full custodial control over the account until the child is an adult. So it's another way of Yeah, the same way we talk about custodial savings accounts and a five two nine college plan, it's another option.
Speaker 3: What's the difference between like a UGMA and just a regular custodia account?
Speaker 1: Yeah, so I think it's the difference is how it applies, like in terms of taxes or not taxes. When you know how you can apply for financial aid and then depending on you know, how many how much assets you have as a parent, like that'll impact your financial aid ability or capability. That could be one way.
Speaker 3: But let me I see that it's a type of custodial account. I guess I'm trying to get like a like you know, like, I'm like, well, what makes it why?
Speaker 1: Well, the big difference is that you don't have to use the UGMA account money for education expenses like a five to two nine plan. So with a five two nine you actually have to You can invest the money the same as a UGMA account, but you have to use it for education expenses or else you have to face a tax penalty. So with a UGMA account, it may just be like a way to save money, but to do it without you know, like what if they don't go to college, then at least you know you can pass on the money too.
Speaker 3: Well, that's why I like custodial accounts, because you don't. I've done that for all the like the kids in my and like the little ones in my life, like my nieces and my nephew. Because I didn't want to get a five to two nine plan because I don't know what college is fit to be roman he's five, who knows what it's.
Speaker 4: Going to look like.
Speaker 3: So I got a custodial account so that way, it's not a five twenty nine plan, so it doesn't have to.
Speaker 4: Be used for education.
Speaker 3: And it looks like this is I don't know if this is the same, but it's certainly something. I'm going to reach out to Angelia and ask girl like, oh, we don't have a your gma girl, because apparently the earnings are not tax sheltered, but they're taxed at the miner's lower kitty tax rate up to a certain amount. So I wonder if that's the different, But certainly I would love I want to reach out to be like, so what because it looks like it's a type of custodial But I wonder she might say, girl, you have a UGMA. He probably will say that, like, ah, okay, that's good because I just always call them custodial accounts, so that's just good to note.
Speaker 1: But yeah, no, I think so too, And we get like we've this is the not the first question we've gotten recently about a UGMA account. So I feel like people are starting to learn more about them, and I feel like we have. We could do a whole show on how to save for your children in all the different ways, because I get I get tangled up in it too as a parent. You know, obviously I just goofed up and talked about a custodial era for my baby, which I can't do because you have to earn an income. But then there's, yeah, there's UGMA, and there's custodial savings accounts, and that's five two nine. We have a five two nine for him. But and I forget which one, you know, which one is gonna be less favorable to him when it comes to financial aid later on? And you know, because the thing is, some of these accounts, like when you apply for financial aid, some count as parental assets and some count as the child's assets. And either way, you know that whole that a really important what is it family contribution? That the that the FASTPA kind of figures out how much your family can contribute that can be impacted by saving an advance for your children. So I'm going to table that because I'm going to reach out to Helen see if she wants to come on, or even Angulie and see or maybe TIF you know someone who's like an expert in saving for children. But yeah, thanks for that question, Drea.
Speaker 3: Yes, so if you should you put your money in there, if everything else is straight, like you're not behind you, you know that you you your your savings is funded.
Speaker 4: I would consider this.
Speaker 3: I mean, I know it sounds like crazy sometimes to parents, but I would consider have you maxed out or do you normally max out your own tax advantage retirement account? I actually I would rather parents do that because let me tell you something, as a grown person with parents thankfully who are still here, the greatest one of the greatest gifts you can give to your child is you not needing them financially when you get older, because typically by that time your child might have your own family, and so children have the opportunity to you know, grow up, work put aside money, all these other things, right, but you you know, you get to a certain age you're limited and how much more time you have to set aside for yourself. So I always tell parents that, like honestly, like, if it's between your retirement account and funding maybe one day a college fund, I say, put toward the retirement and then yes, definitely I wouldn't put nothing toward a college fund. But I feel like there's something about having like telling your kid like, no, me and you know.
Speaker 4: Me and your mother are fine. You don't have to worry, like, you know, take care of you and your two welcome.
Speaker 1: Hmm. That's my whole stance as a parent is like, if I can create financial security for myself, I'm actually giving you the benefit of not having a word worry about me. Go do your thing, chicken. So yeah, I toggle between those two sets of like I've talked about that in the show too, just kind of how as a parent I'm I'm fully I'm okay with being selfish and pouring into myself and my own financial security. And you know, obviously I think it's great to set aside money for kids, And I mean I want to give rio a financial safety net and if he have siblings in the future financial security of they're in their own right. But at the same time, I'm not going to jeopardize my happiness now if I can, like, if I can afford to, you know, pour into my financial my own financial security and my husband so that we can live a great and fruitful life and retirement and support our kids in some ways, but not. Yeah, I don't want to. I don't want to sacrifice everything because they're you know, they have time. Time is the most valuable, yes, financial asset at the end of the day. And certainly I think having two parents who you know, they're great, But I learned from them the value of knowing that mom and dad are going to be okay. So they may not appreciate that gift. They may really like the idea of having like a huge trust fund, but yeah, I'm with you, tef on giving them the knowledge that their parents are okay. Okay, all right, let's get back to these questions, all right. So Vernell Vernell asks on Instagram she wanted to know in relation to the child tax credit. This was a big, huge, sort of element of this most recent relief package was the child tax credit, and she wants to know. Does this mean that we're getting three hundred dollars a month per child if we qualify. Yeah, So the child tax credit already existed, right, so if you met certain income requirements, you could get two thousand dollars per child as a tax credit. With this new piece of legislation that Biden just signed into law a few days ago, it provides an additional boost financial boost in the form of a tax credit for people who have children. And let me get my notes up up and you can also check our Instagram and put together a little story. But basically, you're eligible for three hundred three thousand dollars for each child under ages six to seventeen, so between the ages of six to seventeen, and then you're eligible for three hundred three thousand, six hundred dollars for each child under age six. The way that they're doing this tax credit instead of you know, usually you do your taxes once a year and then if you qualify, you get the money and you can pocket it at that time. But in order to get people relief now parents are struggling, right, they are saying we're actually gonna split this into monthly payments starting in July as soon as July, and you can get three hundred dollars, yes, per child, or sorry, two hundred and fifty dollars per child or three hundred dollars per child depending on their ages. And yes, that's a monthly payment that will go from July through December. And then yeah, so that should start in July. And at another question we've gotten several times is while, well, how do I make sure that I get those funds? And again the answer is file your taxes, all your taxes, yep. Because when you fillow your taxes, you have to say how many dependents you have, and you have to say your income and the ages and all that stuff. So if you qualify, there are like there are income caps, and you definitely, you know, you definitely want to set yourself up to like not expect you're going to get this great check in July if maybe you don't qualify. But well, I'll post these notes and I used a bunch of different sources for this, and there's a lot of great info and recaps of the tax credit online that you can find. And at the end of the day, though, I would say, definitely consult your accountant if you have one to see what your particular situation entails.
Speaker 4: No, but this is good. There's a relief, you know.
Speaker 3: Well, I mean I'll say this, I mean, at least it's something because I do also know that you know, they'll be giving you the additional three hundred dollars a week for unemployment, so that's you know, that's going to be helpful for a lot of people. But still, I mean, I'm it just doesn't seem like enough.
Speaker 4: I know people are like, well, how much more? Well how about you? It's fifteen dollars an hour enough to feed you and your family?
Speaker 3: Oh okay, it's so funny, how like, you know, some of the wealthiest of the wealthy want to say, what's too much for people? You know, it's just very frustrating because you're just like, I'm sorry, I never heard of a pandemic outside of like outbreak. Remember that movie with a monkey that was like made everybody sick?
Speaker 1: No, do you remember that contagent? There wasn't a monkey. Wasn't that was a pig?
Speaker 4: Was that was that contagent?
Speaker 1: Maybe it was similar contation was a pig and it was a chef in like some resort.
Speaker 3: But anyway, yeah, no, Outbreak I think it was like this Little Monkey. I feel like Bruce Willis was in it. It seems like a very Bruce Willis's esque movie. But anyway, there was like a pandemic. But you know what I mean, like I think that I just don't understand sometimes why lawmakers are behaving like we're not trying to do these handouts. It was a world wide pandemic. I mean, like, what part of that is so hard to understand? That there's gonna be a lot more than a few months of handholding that people need serious help.
Speaker 4: So I'm curious to see a Listen.
Speaker 1: The problem is that if you are in a certain you know, tax bracket as a higher tax bracket, if you're at a certain earnings level, it's it's unlikely that there's people in your immediate circle who are struggling. But listen to me now, like people are desperate out here. And I over the weekend, I was talking to our cousin who is a high school principal, and she shared a story about one of her students, and I mean, I have not stopped thinking about this this kid and his mom ever since. And you know, and for anyone who just who just feels like, oh, okay, I'm doing well. I'm just gonna, like, you know, keep my head down. So grateful I can't imagine people are going through. So here's just this one anecdote that she told me. This. This boy's fourteen and his mother. They live in a homeless shelter they have for the past year, and he has two younger siblings who need babysitting during the day. His mom has to commute to her job all the way in Queen's and they live in the Bronx or at this homeless shelter, and because of the homeless shelter rules, they all have to get out of the shelter, and because trains are not on full service because of the pandemic, they have to wake up at three point thirty and four am in the morning, and he has to go with his with his toddler siblings to the babysitter because that's the homeless shelter's rules that he can't be there by himself for like safety reasons. So he has to drag himself out of bed at four am to go with his mom on the bus way out of the you know, his long commute to get to the babysitter by six and then he makes his way onto school and thank goodness, you know, he's able to go into school and some kids aren't and he just falls asleep during the day because he's so tired and like that. And I'm not saying that to try and I don't know. I just feel like, honestly, if more people knew yes, and could have empathy and could hear these stories, you know, how can you say that we as a country can't be there to support one another. I don't know this woman, but I feel like I know her and even this, and I know for a fact that even this fourteen hundred dollars check and the child text credit and all that it may not be enough. You know, the system does not is not set up to support people in her position, and she's doing everything right, you know. So that's how I think. It's just it's I feel like, in this life, you should just be assigned a buddy from birth, just a random person at a different economic level than yourself, and y'all should just check in with one another, and you know, to just so you're forced to know someone who's not from the same financial situation that you're in. So you can have a little bit of empathy. I think that would solve so many problems.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's funny that you say that, because I was just talking to the superintendent or the assistant superintendent of the city where I live, and she was saying, She's like, Tiffany, there is going to be such a huge learning gap by the time we get back to school. I was like, what do you mean, because I'm used to Supergirl being here. She has her laptop, she does her work, blah blah blah. She was like, attendance rate for school, for digital school is forty percent.
Speaker 4: I was like, wait, what do they not have laptops? Isn't that?
Speaker 3: She was like, it's not that. It's to your point, Mandy that she was like, so many of these parents have the older child, but they have to go to work, and so that child has to babysit their siblings, and how do you do that and go to school? She's like, so what happens to this crop of kids who you know, are not getting the education that they quite honestly deserve and need. It was just like when she said that, I said, forty percent, what that's the attendance rate? Sixty percent of kids are not going to school, and she was like also to what she found because they've been trying to do, like to try to figure out, like what's really happening is that a lot of these kids are going to work instead that they're like, you know what, it's one thing not to show up for school.
Speaker 4: There's truancy.
Speaker 3: People will come pick you up, but they're like, my mom is not making enough, so I'm fifteen and I had to go get a job.
Speaker 4: So you're working during the school day, and it's.
Speaker 3: Just I honestly, the ripple effect of what has happened, we don't even huh. I don't think that we can conceive. I think people think that they're insulated from folks who are struggling, but you never are. All you have to do is go to New York and just see. You can live in a hundred million dollar apartment and come downstairs and there's somebody homeless sleeping in front of your apartment. You know, you're never fully insulated, like if that's the thinking, but it's just yeah, I just well, hopefully I will say this. Then when I had that interview with that mister Kimmons, Caymans whatever from the White House from the Economic something or other council.
Speaker 4: He did state that we.
Speaker 3: Right now are in the rescue component and then the next plan is the restore component. So I'm curious to see what does restoration look like after after you know, they put all these rescue plans in place, so we'll see.
Speaker 1: Just because people are not like I mean, but the thing is, people are dying. There's hundreds of thousands of people who have died, but there are there are people who are just bleeding just they are. They are dying, but they don't show it on the outside in their stories. You may not know them, but you have to have respect for them and empathy. And I'm proud that we got something through. You know it wasn't. Yeah, thank goodness that we got some sort of relief through. But yeah, you guys keep reaching out to us. Share you know, you can text us now, check the show notes. You can text or leave us a voicemail with your questions, or if you just want to vent, that's cool too, and we'll share that that number again with you guys, So check the show notes, or you can hit us up on Instagram with your questions. Yeah, and just know that even if you just want to vent or just tell us your story. You know, I think it's really important for people to feel like their stories matter and it's and I was just talking to my therapist about that. She was like, you know, it's really easy to discount your own story because you think other people have it worse, or your story isn't, as you know, troubling or whatever. But just saying your own story out loud, it matters, and your experience matters, and I want to hear it. So so reach out to us and share with us and and talk to each other because everyone's struggling in some regard. And that's what Tiffany said about shame. You know, once you say it out loud, it it just has a way of eliminating that sense of shame in it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, voice voice, what did doctor Green say? That voice is the antidote to shame.
Speaker 1: I love it all right, Well, thank you guys for your questions. Shall we move on to boost and break?
Speaker 4: Yes?
Speaker 2: And now is time to the warble though break bo break break, I never you know, break it down?
Speaker 4: Is you going to boost? Is you going to break? How much more can we take?
Speaker 3: Are you gonna be a ray of sunshine or are you gonna say, Hey, that ain't mine?
Speaker 4: Oh that was good? Off the rip? Where's my record contract? Hello?
Speaker 1: Tiffany, this Stallion. I like the pony, Tiffany, the.
Speaker 4: Pony Tiffany, my little pony. Yeah, yes, you got a boost.
Speaker 1: A break bandra, I'm gonna I'm gonna boost. I just need to give a quick boost for the Grammys last night, just because I did sit down and watch it, because I'm an old lady now and I watch things with commercials and all. But I thought Beyonce made history as like the Winnings woman in music, so respect I was shocked that she showed up. I was like, protect queen at all costs, but she's there, okay. So I thought that was amazing. And I thought the the Megan and her one for the Savage remix, and I thought that their acceptance speech together was like just the black female empowerment moment that I needed in my life. So shouts out to them. But my real boost was gonna be very very different. But uh, Facebook, marketplace, book Marketplace. I'm starting to educate myself more. Well. First of all, it doesn't take much education when like you got a kid in the house and you see how quickly they go through clothes and shoes and stuff. And I just started to get really frustrated by the amount of like new, brand new things that you know, it wasn't the right season for them, but then by the time he could wear them that he outgrew them. So starting with his winter boots, which I found on Facebook Marketplace, I made my new mission is to buy used kid stuff for my son. And part of me feels like my tug like inside, I'm like, you know, my husband and I are not quite on the same page. So maybe like y'all can help me convince him, because coming from an immigrant family, for him, it's like I want to give my son the best, Like he spend sixty dollars on an Adidas track suit for this child, Like what is that sixty two dollars? I saw that charge, and I said, what, So just like buying new clothes that he's going to outgrow, which led me down this path of learning more about just how horrible for like the environment the clothing industry is and fast fashion and all of that. So I'm trying my best. And the reason I shout out Facebook Marketplace is because there is a lot of people selling or giving away kids clothing. And I'm not looking at toys because I'm just i just can't there's already too many, but like kids clothing, so I'm all about it. And also I've had a really amazing time, really easy time selling things on marketplace now, so a Craigslist who is basically how I feel because you could actually see the person and it's not as weird as all the emails as Craigslist. So Facebook marketplace is my new jam. And also I found a second hand store that does kids clothing in my area, so I'm going to go check them out, and I'm going to I'm gonna try. Wish me luck. And if you guys as parents or you know, secondhand shoppers or thrifters, like, if you have any tips for me on my path towards sustainable fashion from my family, let me know, because I'm just, you know, trying to do things a little bit better over here.
Speaker 3: No, that's good. I mean, honestly, I'm not gonna lie. I have been buying that's much marketplace stuff. Just Facebook ads in general have been getting me. Have you ever heard of wonder.
Speaker 1: KEKs wonder who?
Speaker 4: No, there are all these cookies that they just look so amazing.
Speaker 3: Every time I came out, was like, you leave me alone, you leave me alone wonder kekes, and then I ordered them there. I mean like, I'm a chocolate cookie, like chocolate chip cookie kind of sewer.
Speaker 4: And it wasn't worth the money. I'll say that.
Speaker 3: They did come quickly, you know. The packaging was like fun and funny the way they did they tell you. They said like, I know you see us, don't you dare put us in your mouth until you put us in the oven. So it's really cute. Like the directions about how to warm them up. I would say for chocolate too cookies, I give it a strong six. But so I've been That's what I've been spending my money on it. It is.
Speaker 1: You have to be careful though, because like Facebook and Insta, they are the shopping mall of today's age, and they know they have.
Speaker 4: Been getting me.
Speaker 3: Bought those dag on wonder keys. Now every cookie company is like, hey, girl, heard you bought some cookies.
Speaker 4: I'm like, leave me it out. So needless to say, I'm not on WW You sold your own cookies, I.
Speaker 3: Know honestly, and I one of the cause they made it look so delicious, like I said, if they weren't bad, but I was like, oh man, I could have just got my my my chocolate butter chalk cookies from Whole Foods. Those are like slamming okay, and they're not as expensive as Wonder Keys. So I'm gonna do a boost because this morning I woke up it was like a really poof. It was a lot this weekend. So if you guys don't know, I'm gonna be doing like a GEG Good with Money summit on April twenty fourth. I'll give you more information about that later. But what i'd done. What I did was and I forgot to tell Brown Ambition, but it's too late now. What I did was I said that if you pre ordered the book that you know, up until Sunday, then I would give you I would if you showed proof. There's like some form you have to fill out. If you showed proof, then you got a free ticket to the summit. Because the summit's like forty bucks, and like the books are like eighteen bucks or whatever. I think, like, well they're really twenty four, but they're like discounted all all over anyway, So you know, my book Giggod with Money doesn't come out until the thirtieth and so I didn't, you know, I mean I figured that people would be like, oh okay, I wanted summer ticket, summit tickets, no girl, And I tell you I woke up this morning. I was like, huh, let me see where my book because my penguin has been saying like, hey, Tiffanyo, let's try to, like, you know, like pick up I mean, book sales have done well, we sold thousands, but like she's like, you know, let's is there anything else you could do.
Speaker 4: To pick up some sales.
Speaker 3: I was like, you know what we're doing the summit, why don't we give away, you know, doing exchange for some books just for three days to give people an option.
Speaker 2: Child.
Speaker 3: I woke up this morning to my book that's not even out, so preface it was saying there are currently forty eight point five million books for sale on Amazon.
Speaker 4: Forty eight point five million.
Speaker 1: Are you okay?
Speaker 4: I'm ready?
Speaker 1: Tell me I haven't seen this yet.
Speaker 4: Tell me so. My book today was number twenty eight.
Speaker 3: I mean of not finance books, not money, but of all books.
Speaker 4: Out of forty eight point five.
Speaker 3: I was like, wait, I literally woke up, it was like, wait, what is this real life?
Speaker 4: Like in sale? I was like wait what, And then for it.
Speaker 3: To be pre order, like this is not like you know, normally you might see that number. I guess like if you're ding, like you know, when it's actually out and everybody's read and they're telling their friends and cousins, that means y'all trust me so much that you went out and you pre ordered Get Good with Money at get Goodmoney dot com. You know my my show, I always got to do one per show, but no, but honestly, it just honestly, I just sat on the couch and, like said, just silent prayers of gratitude, like wow, that my audience trusts me so much that they flooded to go get the book this weekend, you know, because one they wanted, like the summit, which is gonna be awesome because I pulled so inside the book, I have these what I call my budget east the boosters, like things that are not my expertise. I don't believe in pretending that I know, so I pulled experts in the more complicated financial things to walk us through step by step how to get those things done. And so I pulled some of those women to do a conference with me. It's five of my most well they're all amazing, Budge, these boosters, but I chose five of them, and that summit, like I said, it's coming up in April, but it just to just see the flood and to see number twenty seven or twenty eight, that's crazy. Like it was above Michelle Obama. I mean temporarily, it was above Barack. I mean, you know, mister President. But I'm just like it was it was above you know dr who you know, we don't really like that. It was above Robert Kiyosaki, like rich Dad before Dad, I know exactly. I mean it just was like I mean, like I said, even if it was just for a day, child, I'll take it. But it just felt really good because you know, Mandy, like I, I did not want to be on the cover of the book, because not because I didn't want to be on the cover, but honestly, I was like, no one's gonna buy a book with a black a financial book with a black woman on the cover. I mean, I knew my audience would because you know, they know me, but I wanted the book to reach wider than me, and I just told myself, like, no one's gonna buy this book. They're gonna be like because I've been in rooms before, well I stood up to the mic and like I've seen women being like, she's not the speaker and she literally mouthing it to each other and they're like no, no, she's just checking the mic, and I'm like wow. So, you know, like I just felt like, you know, people would look at the book and be like, she doesn't know. No, I'm not getting it. And so I was like, well, maybe we could just do like you know whatever on the front cover. And I'm just really grateful for like Marnie and Penguin and Heather, my agent, for pushing me and saying you need to be on this cover. These are white women, you know. They were like, no, Tiffany, you need to be on this cover. Like women and black women, brown, everyone needs to see you on this cover. There needs to be a new face in personal finance, not just your face, but to crack open the door to say like I want to look on those shelves and see women. I want to see latinas, I want to see Asian men and women. I want to you know, there has to be, you know, like it's enough of just one type of voice. And so I'm just really grateful that you know, my big old smiling face. My sisters were like, y show too much gum, that's all.
Speaker 4: Can you imagine? Sisters? I have to look, I say, am I smiling too big? They're like, you are too smiling? Too big? I said, you all hate and sisters, but that's what, sisters, of.
Speaker 1: What There is no such thing as too much smile?
Speaker 4: Get out of here.
Speaker 1: Your number. You're number fifteen on Movers and Shakers.
Speaker 4: I wonder, man, joy, is that crazy? Yes?
Speaker 1: I know it's not crazy. I'm like, my face hurts, and also I'm getting like teary eyed. You're number thirty five on bestsellers period.
Speaker 4: Oh my gosh, I just don't even know what that means.
Speaker 1: It's not easy being a bunny is number one, but like.
Speaker 3: Whatever, you know what, I'm not even mad because Easter's coming up.
Speaker 4: But you know what, First of all, the fact that it's not easy being a buddy is number one.
Speaker 1: That is a second, is this like among the books that Mandy typically buys, because these are all children's books, like in the top ten whatever whatever, Like your face is there?
Speaker 4: Can you imagine?
Speaker 3: And so like yeah, so I just wanted to just say like that was the boost that like, man, if there ever was a go for a moment, I hope that I can be an example like cis go for it. You know, you just don't know. I know right now there's a lot of tearing down because of meaning like pandemic quarantine, that there was a lot of broken Like I had a thing and it's broken. This is actually the best time to rebuild the thing you actually wanted, you know, Like that's why I remember thinking that when I lost everything during the last for session, I said, Tiffany, you can rebuild the exact same house that you lived in before, or you can actually go for the thing you actually wanted that you were too afraid to walk away from this life for. And I was like, you know what, I'm going to go for it. I'm going to build a life that actually secretly wanted. And you know, I'm I'm not fully living in now, because you know, I'd be overworking because you know, just team too much. But I am much closer than like you know, I am at least living the professional life that I never dreamed of. I'm just like realigning my personal life to like not hold myself to such not to say high expectation, but like you know, not overwork myself. But like ultimately, I just never thought stuff like.
Speaker 4: This was possible. And so yeah, just that was my boost, like causual, just a little boost. Yeah yeah, yeah.
Speaker 3: Now here's the thing you might check when y'all want, when y'all listen, this is Monday. I can't promise, well, Wednesday gonna look like when you go to see my numbers, but at least for this weekend and today, you know you put my love on top, baby, I love.
Speaker 1: I hope Oprah's watch.
Speaker 4: Hey, I want to be called Auntie. Hey miss Oprah.
Speaker 1: So you know people at Oprah's favorite things. I don't know. Well, it feels like, yes, March is the book is the is the month for new books. I feel like there's so many great I've had that pre ordered for a long time. I'm sitting here like maybe I should pre order some more copies, Like what else can I do?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 1: So so happy for you, congrats. I can't wait. So the book is the March thirtieth, right, Yeah, March Thurday comes up? Okay, So excited for you to Thanks for sharing that.
Speaker 4: No, thank you.
Speaker 1: All right, well that is the show, another one for the books.
Speaker 4: Yes, indeed, all right.
Speaker 1: Take care okay friend, if you're vaccinated. It feels like the light is at the end of the tunnel soon. Just hang in there, y'all,