Speaker 1: Toss Popcorn is a production of iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: Hi, I'm Sienna Jacob and I'm Leanna Holsten, and welcome to Tossed Popcorn, the podcast where two idiots watched every film on the AFI's one hundred Greatest American Movies of All Time, the very slightly less racist tenth Anniversary edition, and are now watching movies of our own and listeners choosing this podcast is a safe basement slash sub basement for people who don't know anything about movies. Today we're watching Parasite, Good Bottom This fact, a film we both should have seen when it came out, but forgot to. Warning there will be spoilers about this.
Speaker 3: Award win Phil, Yes.
Speaker 2: Wow, we never talk about their awards. Oh god, no, award winning.
Speaker 4: Award winning, and I think deservedly so. Sianna, you had not seen this before.
Speaker 2: I have seen it before.
Speaker 4: What what are you talking about?
Speaker 2: I don't know why that was the assumption, I've seen it?
Speaker 5: What have you seen it?
Speaker 2: No? Yeah, I've seen it.
Speaker 3: Oh my god.
Speaker 4: I thought the whole reason it was on here was because both of us had not seen it before.
Speaker 2: I don't remember how camp.
Speaker 3: I definitely put it on.
Speaker 4: Because I hadn't seen it before, and then I thought you were like, I also did not.
Speaker 3: What have you not seen?
Speaker 2: Oh, let's just go down the list that I no. This is one that I did. I didn't. I saw it all a while after him. But I think I might have watched it on a plane or something, because watching it again a lot felt very fresh.
Speaker 3: Ah.
Speaker 2: Oh, I don't know.
Speaker 4: All right, Well, then I guess let's start with your prediction.
Speaker 2: But I do appreciate. I do appreciate the sense of camaraderie that you strive to, you know, nurture, even if it's not. Thank you.
Speaker 4: In my mind, my experience is everyone's experience.
Speaker 2: Okay, Wow, listen to my prediction, shall we? Hi? Leanna? It's Sanna.
Speaker 6: I'm about to watch Parasite. I remember enjoying this movie quite a bit. I have no idea when I watched it, but it was not from that long ago. I can't remember how scary it is, but I know there's a moment or somebody stabbed, and that it's really about class differences and it's in Korean. Is there anything else I remember about it? I just remember a very very nice house.
Speaker 3: Sure, all right, I love you?
Speaker 2: Goodbye? Hmmm. Yeah, so basically I saw it, Leon, I'd love to hear your prediction. Yeah, Parasite. Hi, Sienna, it's Leanna. I'm about to watch Parasite. I've never seen this before. I've heard only excellent things. I predict it'll be a good film, but I think it'll be very intense, and I know that there's perhaps some violence at the end, and something about some people living on the floor below some other people, like in the basement, and I don't know if I'm kind of nervous. Love you bye, hmmm, excellent, excellent. Did you look up to see if a dog died?
Speaker 4: And I did it? As soon as there was a dog. I knew there was violence pre watching the film, but as soon as I saw dogs on screen, I said, now, hang on, hold on. I went straight to does the doog die dot com? Sure, and was very pleased with the results. I did it. Did specify a dog gets shoved?
Speaker 2: Yeah, that dog gets shoved.
Speaker 4: And yelps a little, but seems unharmed. And I said, okay, I can handle that.
Speaker 3: Sienna. Oh wait, how does this work? What do we do?
Speaker 2: Now?
Speaker 3: Do you do it?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 3: You don't do a synopsis?
Speaker 4: Hey, Hey, girl. Hey, hey, girl, you were very recently in a lot of nature.
Speaker 2: I was in nature. Yes, I like to hear.
Speaker 3: About that, please, unless you had something else to talk about.
Speaker 2: No, no, no, that's fantastic.
Speaker 3: Great.
Speaker 2: Also, by the way, I'm at home and using a different mic right now in case we need to explain that. Yes, I went to the Grand Tetons Hello in Wyoming, and you know, my grandma kept joking around like, oh, you're going to the Grand Tatas stuff like that. I'm like, love sleigh. I found out it actually means big boobs in French. No, and I'm like, how dare you? How dare you?
Speaker 3: How dare you?
Speaker 2: We were laughing a lot, though, because because they're called like the boobs, the mountains are oh my god, and then it's called Jackson Hole. It was just like the people making this were just such pervs, absolutely desired to well, far far away from seeing a woman for decades.
Speaker 4: The boobs, the boobs. I'm gonna go hike the boob, the big boobs, the big boobs. It was highly there's more than two of those mountains, yes, as well, but the.
Speaker 2: Two that they're talking about her, I don't know. Oh, there's two specifically that are the boobs. It kind of takes the fun out of it.
Speaker 3: That sucks.
Speaker 4: Wow, So t ton what does titan translate to?
Speaker 2: I don't know. Let me confirm that it's in French because I assumed it was a native word. But grown large breast Jesus Christ, it means large breast in French. Why can't we go safe? It was so sad there for two weeks and then find out. I was like, this is called the big boobs.
Speaker 3: Oh my god.
Speaker 2: Anyway, it was all good, but I did get sick because my brother was sick. And now I'm oh, no, absolutely burning up.
Speaker 3: Oh no good.
Speaker 2: You know that's why my voice large.
Speaker 3: He gave you an ailment.
Speaker 2: They gave you a sex voice I got. I got sex voice at the large breast.
Speaker 4: I put that on a T shirt and sell it in the gift shot. Hello Leona, hey girl, hey girl, how are you doing to? I had to confront my neighbor this week as as some let me let me hear how loud I'm actually talking. Okay, I think it's okay. I think you're being pretty quieting. I'm trying to be quiet because they live right above me and I mean, they have surely heard me at this point exclaim many times how much I hate them, but I live underneath and content warning this is gonna be anti Australian content. Okay for a period of time, I live underneath two very loud Australians and we have this like cursed well in this building that's like how even to describe it. Ours is at our floor, and our flat specifically is at the base of this well, and theirs is above it, and it's it's basically like if a chimney was in the building, but it's open air, and our flats make like a U A square you around it, but it's very small, and so as a result, sound that goes into the well reverberates oh so much and gets magnified. And so some listeners may recall here in what sounds like an Australian ghost on some of our episodes, And that'll be my neighbor on his team's calls at eleven o'clock in the goddamn evening because he works. I don't know who's hours. We googled it. It doesn't make sense for that to be Australia. Australia's like eight hours.
Speaker 3: Ahead of here.
Speaker 4: Anyway, it was they woke us up at six in the morning earlier this week by shouting at each other because they hate each other. And also it's a heterosexual couple obviously, and you have.
Speaker 2: A couple on insane hours. Yeah, they have very naturally loud voices.
Speaker 4: They're loud talkers, so that was frustrating. And then two days later at eight in the morning, it was my flatmate's day off, they were able to sleep in a little bit, and then the Australians and a friend were screaming at each other at eight in the morning.
Speaker 3: No, and I.
Speaker 4: Got so pissed off that I in my little robe and flip flops, went up to their floor. I knocked on the door and they were like who is that? Like, is that for you?
Speaker 2: Nor?
Speaker 3: And then they came to the door.
Speaker 2: She answers the door, She's like hi, and I was like, Hi, we live right below you and we can hear everything you're saying because of the well and it's my flatmate's day off, so we were just wondering if you could please keep it down a little bit, and she literally went or okay, like didn't even look at me and was closing the door as she said okay, and before she fully closed it, I.
Speaker 3: Was like, well, thank you.
Speaker 4: Then she closed the door, and of course I was coming downstairs, but my flatmate was down here and heard everything that she said as she was walking away from the door, because it goes down the well.
Speaker 2: What did you say?
Speaker 4: Nothing too spicy, I don't think. But it was basically they were like, oh, who was that? And she was like, she asked us to be quiet?
Speaker 3: Uh?
Speaker 4: And I was like, what is this attitude? You are yelling at eight in the fucking morning.
Speaker 2: I would be so humiliated if I knew that people could hear every word I was saying. Also, oh yeah, and it could be I could have been so much I could have been so much worse with the detail. I could have been like, we know that you're wearing your boyfriend's red Liverpool team T shirt to the Taylor Swift concert tonight because you screamed that at him at six in the morning. We know that the two of you had sex for three minutes at eleven am earlier this.
Speaker 4: Week, not three minutes, yep. Also, it's the first time we've ever heard them have sex, which means for over a year.
Speaker 2: Oh, it's unlikely, thank god. But also, you guys, they hate each other so much, but like, the only people who hate them more than we hate them are each other. No.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so that was my week.
Speaker 4: That was my exciting and then I was in like fight or flight for the rest of the day because I'm so conflict averse.
Speaker 3: I'm scared.
Speaker 2: That is, thank you. I love imagining you going up in your little robe, curlers in or something.
Speaker 4: I wish I had. Yeah, I had done what Scara on one.
Speaker 3: Eye at that point?
Speaker 4: Excuse me, Oh, there's no way I looked normal. I'm hoping that I looked unrecognizable, so if they ever see me around, they won't know it. With me, they don't know where to live.
Speaker 2: Yeah, discussed.
Speaker 4: I could have put on like a hat or a wig or something.
Speaker 2: Uh huh, Wow, that's crazy. Congratulations, thank you.
Speaker 4: I was embracing conflict a little bit like the people in this film.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Not, I mean as somebody who lives below other people. There were some things, you know. I had my own moment of uh huh, confronting those who live upstairs. Oh my gosh, Oh my gosh, Well that is nothing. No situation could have been more relevant. I feel excuse me, I just need to discuss with Leanna about bringing some more co hosts on. I was thinking of including my brother.
Speaker 2: And my mom and my dad and my sister. That will just sort of be happening slowly. Yeah, so stay tuned for that. We'll bring it back. No, thank you for having the situation so that we could traud welcome. You're so welcome, parasite. If I may give a little synopsis, yes, please, parasite. This is a very metaphorical about wealth, inequity and class nonsense.
Speaker 3: Ah.
Speaker 2: A family who I don't think we get the last name of a family living in a semi basement, struggles to find work until the sun Key Wu's classy friend connects him to a tutoring job with the very wealthy Park family. Ki Wu and his family cunningly score jobs for all four family members using traps, tricks, and plot. Yes, they get jobs for all four of them, one by one and get a taste of what it feels like to associate with people of this ranking. They even get the chance to imagine what it would feel like to be that rich. It could last forever as long as they don't cross the line. Oh the end okay, yeah, the end in the no spoilers sense. And then also they end up going to the basement and there's a guy who lives down there and the old housekeeper was taking care of him, and it ends up that's where the violence comes in, and eventually he stabs the sister. Yeah becomes it becomes it becomes tragic, and then it ends with the father on the run.
Speaker 4: Yes, oh, my goodness, me.
Speaker 2: My goodness, goodness me, Leanna, Hello, Hello. Shall we get into our phone notes because I'd love to hear how you felt.
Speaker 4: Yeah, sure, let's do it. I will say. I think up top, it was not what I expected. It was a lot what I expected, uh huh. And then it wasn't what I expected. I knew it was like people who are living in poverty or semi poverty are working with this very wealthy family. But what I thought it was going to be, and I think this is again like a very American expectation of how a plot of a film goes is I thought the wealthy family, we were going to be so rooting against them by the end that we were like, hell yeah, stab everywhere. I did not expect there to be a random guy who was the husband and of the original housekeeper and was a little insane living in their sub basement.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I thought it was just the two families. So and when we met.
Speaker 2: That guy, I was like, oh, hello, I forgot.
Speaker 4: I also really thought, I thought then, because they were like, we smell like basement. We have to stop living in our current home of a basement. I thought when they found out that guy was living down there, they all were going to move in down there and then like rise up against the wealthy family and take over right again. Kind of an American.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 4: I think that was me overlaying my my American plot expectations on the film right and the sort of like American, if not happy ending then sort of like justice totally ending totally as we learned, Yeah about the Hayes Codes. There must be justice against the bad guys. Yeah, I think in so many ways I do agree with the Hayes Codes.
Speaker 3: Unfortunately, I know.
Speaker 2: This movie. I think I might say this later, but this movie I found to make me such a film bro. Just to god, I'd be like, it makes me a film bro, except overlaid with my very simple sort of stupidity towards movies which I would be like, oh my god, they're going up, well, seems like they're trying to rise out of their uh their position. Oh my god, they're going down, well, it seems like they're going back. At At one moment, I literally found myself going, I'm noticing a lot of use of up and down.
Speaker 4: I would love the Sienna essay for film class Well. Through the use of up and also the use of down, we are shown it really is they are trying to move up and sometimes they move down.
Speaker 2: I really enjoyed this movie though, Like I the whole time I felt my brain moving. But also they explain a lot of things, so when you're confused, usually there's an explanation. Yeah, and it really does. I mean, like you said, the fact that the rich family isn't like completely evil, they're literally just ignorant, like they are just they do not think of people who have less money than them at all. Yeah, it is. It's like, so it's so haunting. Mmmm, It's like these people are in your house, under your table right now and you completely have no idea.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that was I was so stressed. I'd say the adjective to describe me watching this film was engrossed. Yes, it is gross, and then by the end just take the E and the end off. Yeah, and I was just gross.
Speaker 2: It'll take you from engrossed to grossed. Yes, Leanna, you said, I personally do not agree with this approach to test taking. Please say more.
Speaker 4: When he starts tutoring the girl and he's like, you have to conquer the exam. You have to move as quickly as possible through it and never go back to a question, I was like, oh no, that was disagree Yeah, I will say what I agree with is if you don't know the answer to a question, rapidly skipping it and moving on to the next one, right, but then.
Speaker 3: Do go back to it.
Speaker 4: And also I didn't like all this dominating language around an exam.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Also just generally I was thinking, like this is just not The American education system is different than this, Like people do not take it that seriously. And the rich people they're just like, Okay, how can I get the answers so that I can pass the SAT? You know what I mean? That's there that is to dominate your intellectual.
Speaker 4: Yeah you know, yeah, No, the SAT is very much like there's a there's a twenty five percent chance it'll be C, so just answer C and you don't know. And it's like, okay, exactly, surely, can anyone teach me how to do my taxes?
Speaker 2: That can't be right.
Speaker 4: I'd love to learn how to do my taxes.
Speaker 2: And you're telling me that most people don't know that and are just going to be trying to answer it for real. And that's where inequity comes in.
Speaker 4: Huh, Can I ask you?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 4: Do you know what the age gap was between him and the girl he was tutoring because I couldn't figure it out and I was dressed.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 3: I don't know my senses.
Speaker 4: He was older because they talked about he had been in the military for many years. Oh, which like at the very beginning, he's talking with his friend who's who gives him the tutoring job, and his friend is like, with all your years of service in the military, you're much more qualified than these like drunk university students to tutor in English.
Speaker 2: I thought he was like twenty and she was like fifteen.
Speaker 4: Let me check, Yeah, it was any It seemed bad, Yeah, it seemed not right to be kissing.
Speaker 2: I think that he was like eighteen or nineteen and she was fifteen or sixteen. Definitely, it was a situation of do not kiss that girl. It was a situation of do not kiss that girl. Yeah, And that's why they kept being like, I'll ask her out when she goes to university. When she goes to university, which I guess would be in one year there, I hope, So anyway, I hope it's like in two days. Anyway, I hope it you tomorrow.
Speaker 3: Yeah, she was young.
Speaker 2: That was And also when his friend is like, yeah, I'm gonna be leaving and I don't don't want to let any frat guys take my job because like they're going to try to get my girl, and uh. And at first you're like, oh, he wants to keep her safe. That's good, and he's like yeah, because I want to ask her out, and so like I just want to make sure that there's someone who's not a threat, who immediately a threat.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's interesting.
Speaker 2: I had a sense that she'd kiss any tutor. In some ways, it was a little bit like get it, mama, but also you know, yes, but also you are a girl. That's why the mature person in the situation has to has to be like, do not get it, mama, mama. It is not your time to get it. You can get mama years, mama, Mama. Sometimes it's hard to be a mama mama. Don't get at mama. Leanna, you've said that painting sucks. This is the sun Das Songs painting.
Speaker 4: Yeah, the oh the one that's framed in the hallway. Painting sucked.
Speaker 3: It was awful.
Speaker 4: It was like, you could put it on the fridge, but don't frame it next to your family portraits. My god, and I'm sure it was sent to a bespoke framer as well, and those are so expensive. Don't use your money on that.
Speaker 2: He was like, oh, I can tell, yeah, it's it looks like it's a a chimpanzee. She's like, it's a self portrait. Uh.
Speaker 4: And then she goes on to be like, I find it so unsettling. I hate looking at it. And I'm like, well, then why did you frame it? I put it in the hall No one made you do it, Sianna, you wrote chilling out motionless in the yard is such a vibe.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, do you remember this.
Speaker 4: I didn't understand why she was passed out. I was it drugs.
Speaker 2: There are so many things I don't understand. Okay, I think it was just her being leisurely and depressed, which for some reason related to.
Speaker 3: I'm not on drugs.
Speaker 4: I'm just being leisurely. I'm experiencing leisure.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: No, I mean that's relatable. If she was just taking a nap on the table outside.
Speaker 2: I think she's just sort of depressed because her husband hates her.
Speaker 4: He does hate her, but she seemed passed out, like your housekeeper had to clap right next to her ear. Yeah yeah, and then later she's like, buy me drugs please, she says, he's like fingering her.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah.
Speaker 3: Did you watch this with your family?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Oh god, we were like, oh no, oh no.
Speaker 2: One of the more realistic intimacy scenes I've seen. I think it was just happening. I was, I was thinking about it. I was like, I think he just I think he was fingering her. I don't know that you can simulate what that was. Yeah, oh, not related but family vi Ciena, you asked, how would you feel about working with your entire family? How do you think that would go?
Speaker 4: Yeah, your whole family is I think the people, the people who would be getting stabbed would be us stabbing each other. Okay, that's how it would end.
Speaker 3: How about you? I feel like you could do it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think that we probably we've worked together in various contexts because my parents own a company together. But yeah, to have to all be playing these little roles. Yeah, in another.
Speaker 4: Person, I guess it's slightly different because they're all working in different departments. Yeah, and they're not working with each other when they're at work, right, Yeah, but you're definitely spending all day every day together, and that would be that's the thing too much.
Speaker 2: I was thinking. One place where I would fail is that if I was working that closely to my mom, I would probably devolve a little bit, and if I got upset about something more normally at work, I could self soothe. If my mom was there'd be like.
Speaker 5: Mom, yes, it was so awkward.
Speaker 3: Oh my god.
Speaker 4: I'd be like if I was doing the pretend art therapist and my mom walked in with the like prepared snacks, I'd be like, mom, get out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, my god. First I mean not mom, I mean housekeeper who I just met.
Speaker 5: Please leave.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it was too bad that mister Park didn't like his wife. Yeah, it was again interesting, like they didn't show it in the way that an American movie would show it of like him going off and like having affairs or like slapping her.
Speaker 2: The dad. Yeah, totally, totally. It's like very just he's like, she's horrible at housework, and yeah, let's call it love. Yeah. I did love the dad being like and I know that this was metaphorical, but also just taking it a face value, I felt so relatable. I found it so relatable that this uh dad being like, well, yeah, yeah that's you know, oh she can't do housework and whatever, but but you love her, right, you love her? And that's how I feel in every situation when I hear that something's like bad, I have to like comfort myself like you love her right, lover, And.
Speaker 3: He's like, okay, no, sure, why not.
Speaker 2: I guess we don't really have love in my class. Yeah, in social class, we don't really have love.
Speaker 3: It's not a concern.
Speaker 2: It was so crazy when they were boning and doing poverty talk. Yeah, that was oh yeah, the like role play of like oh we're I'm like the driver and we're in the back seat of yeah, like you should put on those dirty cheap panties, like I haven't been near cheap pant and she's like, yeah, I want to buy drugs from you. I'm gonna buy drugs. Oh that was part of the role play.
Speaker 4: Oh, I thought she wanted him to buy her drugs and that's why she was passed out at the table at the beginning.
Speaker 2: I completely, Oh that totally, I see that, But I believe it was part of the role play of them being Oh my god, that's so fucked up. It's so fucked up. And the family's like down under the table literally listening as they're like getting off thinking about this. Yeah, even though they literally know nothing. Wow, And they earlier talked about that smell, like what is that smell? Literally the smell of.
Speaker 3: Poverty that made me so sad?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I know.
Speaker 4: Well, let's talk about when the movie takes a turn. Sure, because we're there. Ciena, you've written a very important point, which is, girl, your husband is drinking milk like a baby.
Speaker 2: I didn't notice when the first time I watched this movie how much the dad of our main family like defends the rich family. I didn't know that was like part of his deal. But he's like, why would we upset the Parks like we shouldn't tell them about this, Like, yeah, he'll literally get so stressed out. They're nice people. And then like the hyper version of him is this baby man who's like, who's like, I love mister Park. Yeah, And this is the moment where now that I'm like a little more a maybe more educated on film, unfortunately, but also just Parasite is one of those movies that's like really really good and it makes you feel smart and makes it's just trying to make you think. So it works. There will still be moments like, for example, her being passed out at the beginning, or this baby man eating a banana slowly and I'm like, I know this represents something and I don't know what it is, or him suckling down the milk like a baby. Yeah. Yeah, and I'm like, this is your husband. And that did feel like a very realistic couple, you know, a go gutter woman. Yeah, and then her baby boyfriend.
Speaker 3: That's true, that is true.
Speaker 2: Okay, So Leanna, you said, yeah, that woman is dead and then your next note is, oh, she's not, okay, Sleigh, was this the old housekeeper? Yeah?
Speaker 4: When the former housekeeper gets kicked down the stairs, yea by the mother of the f I was like, oh, and then it makes that gross sound when her head hits the wall, and I was like, I hate that. But then she turned out to not be dead, and I was like, oh, and then I thought maybe nobody dies and that was wrong.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that was an correct assumption.
Speaker 2: You get to a certain point in a movie where you've spent all this time with characters where they suddenly are just willy nilly knocking the characters you love out. Yeah, like, oh, maybe this person's dead. Now, Oh this person got smashed in the head. Oh this person got stabbed. And you're like, oh, okay, well they must get better soon, and then you realize, no, we're at the end of the movie. They're gonna die.
Speaker 4: I was surprised that the son didn't die. Yeah, only the blood.
Speaker 3: That came out of his head.
Speaker 2: Only the sister did. Yeah, that was crazy. You can survive that. All of his blood came out.
Speaker 3: All of his blood came out.
Speaker 2: I think that was all of it. How did he get it back?
Speaker 3: I was crazy.
Speaker 2: I guess because his old crush picked him up.
Speaker 4: Yeah, piggybacked him out of there. He wrote, Yeah, so my son was eating his big cake on the floor and saw a specter of poverty, you know how it goes. Why was that guy so insane he was? Why was he doing that with his face when he came out of the basement that of course would terrify anyone who's eating cake on the floor.
Speaker 3: Why was he like that?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 5: And I didn't get it.
Speaker 3: Is it because he was living in a basement and he turned cuckoo?
Speaker 2: It was so chilling. It was so chilling to me that he liked the basement and wanted to stay there. And again, very metaphor, it's so metaphor, very metaphorical, but then just translated into this spooky story too, like, oh, did.
Speaker 4: You see the way that he walked up the stairs at one point? When he came up the stairs on all floors at one point, and it was so unsettled. I once saw a man go up the stairs on all fours and before that moment I had had a little crush on him. And after that moment, I was like, that is a demon.
Speaker 2: Hmmm. Instant I I love when you go like.
Speaker 3: Hmm, oh, I don't know you were going to do that?
Speaker 4: Oh you did that that way? Are you having a garden party as your birthday party this year. Maybe don't pick a new theme during these ad breaks.
Speaker 3: We'll be right back.
Speaker 2: Leanna. You said, why is this guy's so looney? Why is this guy so looney?
Speaker 4: This is when he helped out in the basement to do the stabbing, and his face is bloody from banging his head against that button for the light switch, and he's got a knife.
Speaker 3: And this is.
Speaker 4: Where I I just didn't quite understand. I mean, I get that he was mad at the family for tying him up in the basement, like fair enough, but I didn't know why he went on a rampage. And then what I really didn't get was why the dad stabbed mister park. Did you understand?
Speaker 2: Uh? I guess I think he just hit his breaking point and realized the It seems like the smell comment made him realize that these people thought of him differently, and then seeing all of that and then seeing him literally lifts this guy up to pick up the keys and then be like, yeah, that smell, that smell that I smell on Like, he lifts up this guy's body that doesn't care about at all, this loon from the deed and.
Speaker 4: He an alternate title for Parasite from the.
Speaker 2: From the Deep. And he smells, he makes like the same that he makes me, mister park He's like, oh, I'm literally just like a looney carcass to you. And so he gets overwhelmed and he that's so or he the guy who's been defending, who's been like guys, they're nice guys and like mister Parky, he he still has it in his heart. You know, he's still watching out for us, watching them as they're like, come on, help my son. He's like, he's his daughter there, and yeah, she's been stabbed, and nobody in that space cares about her at all. The help they're all trying to help this little boy. They're all like what the saving themselves? Think In that moment, he's just like this, but it's true. It's the surprise of he didn't seem to hate him at all, but he realizes this man is never and then him crosses the line.
Speaker 4: I'd take stabbing someone in the chest is crossing the line.
Speaker 2: I do wish mister park had gone, hey, you've crossed the line, just a little pithy remark before passing away. Yeah, yeah, that makes sense. You're right, that what you said about you, you expect us to like really hate them. By the end, it's definitely like, ah, did you have to kill mister Park? And then you think about it and you're like, oh my god, yes he is. He is an evil man, and he's just like in his completely unconcerned, ignorant way where he just is not going to He's like, you're getting paid, I refuse to care about you. Oh yeah, anyway to stop voking.
Speaker 4: It's very thought provoking. It's I think it it forces you to ask uncomfortable questions about like if if you were in that wealthy family situation like m wouldn't you be behaving just like they are exactly?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, probably not super evil. They're literally just like they just can't think about anything else and they have That's that's what struck me so much. And as a person who is always thinking like who's concerned about my privilege and sheltered upbringing however sheltered you know, like just the concept of that they're like these people have no idea what's going on. When she's like planning the party, like, oh, well this fun stuff is gonna happen. Yeah, she's not being evil, but making them come. She just has no idea that they could have had a night where they got removed from their homes, Like that's not part of the world she knows anything about.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's really it's really haunting because it's like, yeah, that is so much of any time any of us are comfy in our homes, Like there are so many people who are suffering at the same time.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and it raises an interesting question of like how much are you allowed to like enjoy your personal wealth versus like how much do you owe to people who don't have that right? I think with this one, like the very baseline of it was they always treated the family like employees and not like humans, Like they never were like how are you tell me about Like the fact that they never figured out that they're a family just goes to show how they asked about them totally.
Speaker 2: Or when she eats all the food she eats and she was like, do you want some and then she was like, oh no, I should give it to my husband because there's sirloin in it. That's like, yeah, she just sat there and ate all of it. Yeah, that's when I was like, damn, you really don't love these people. Like you kind of because you don't want to cross the line, because there's a there is a It's very complex.
Speaker 4: Mm.
Speaker 2: Leona. You said, Okay, so having no plan death didn't work out. That's true. The one time they had no plan, really really really bad came back to bite them. And then you said at the very end you've said, I would say that overall that was a bummer.
Speaker 4: Again, I was expecting the American style happy.
Speaker 2: Ending, yeah, of like retribution or whatever for them, and instead it was like the daughter dies, the dad has to go into hiding. These two are relegated once again to poverty. Yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Also the other father figure in the mister park died and that family is like traumatized to move right, and the former housekeeper died. Ah, Like it was all just like.
Speaker 2: Oh, what happened to a spooky guy?
Speaker 3: He got stabbed?
Speaker 2: He got that's right, he was impaled by kebab He was kebabbed. Well, Lee on the show. We move on to badges and trages.
Speaker 4: Yes, you're gonna not enjoy mine.
Speaker 2: Okay. Where we give badges for uh? Badges for uh?
Speaker 3: Were we big base basements?
Speaker 4: I mean, where we give badges for brothers and sisters.
Speaker 2: Working together and trages for t Comma in a quiz. Great say it say that, say that? Yes, my first badges for the acting, excellent acting.
Speaker 5: My first batch is for tiny fluffy dog. Okay, okay, so.
Speaker 2: I noticed there are three dogs in this They're gonna come up separate times.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 2: Okay. Badge for engaging slash engrossing. As we said, it's a very this film, will keep your attention.
Speaker 5: Badge for another tiny dog.
Speaker 2: Okay, all right, yeah, so this is the family the family dogs. Yeah, okay, I have a feeling there's gonna be another. Uh. Badge for the sister's hair and just being a great actress. Her hair was unbelievable.
Speaker 5: Badge for I love these tiny dogs.
Speaker 2: Okay, you're still talking about two of them? Are all three?
Speaker 3: All three? At this point? I think.
Speaker 2: Fantastic.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 2: Badge for this crazed woman aka the old housekeeper, the former housekeeper when she goes just kind of like crazy mode. I actually really I really loved that. I was like, show your range, yeah, stuff going on.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that was good acting. She was desperate to get in there, and we learned why very quickly. It's like, oh, I see why you were being insane. Badge for adding a bit for inflation when the sun first arrives and the mother of the missus Park is like, oh, I was going to pay you what I paid the previous tutor, but I'm also going to add a bit for inflation.
Speaker 3: And I was like, yeah, I love that.
Speaker 2: I loved that too.
Speaker 4: A weird example of that family is not like full.
Speaker 2: Evil, right, or they will pay them extra for things, which is.
Speaker 3: Like, yeah, yeah, thank you.
Speaker 2: They don't ask too much, They just they just they just don't understand e badge for there when their plans work out. I loved how often they came up with a plan and they did it and it worked, like the peach fo stuff. That was genius. Yeah, I will give a badge, a real film badge for the pacing because they cut out any moment of like one character having to tell another character information and they just cut to like, for example, they cut to the day that he brings his sister into interview for the position and skip all of the like him explaining to her the situation.
Speaker 3: I thought that totally.
Speaker 2: I agree. The pacing was really it was so good. It was so it was I was so grateful for it. Yeah, I'm like, oh, they're already doing it, thank goodness. Badge for my final badge is for making you feel smart this movie and it makes you feel smart, but also just like it's very thought provoking. But me saying like wow, I felt like such a film bro is probably that they also just were They were using the medium of film in an effective way that I actually was responding to. You know, I'm like, oh, going up, oh going down, Oh my god, up, and and it's fun to participate in a movie like that. That's like telling a story that is important and interesting in making you think about things that I want to think about. And then it's also just I like the characters and it was engaging.
Speaker 4: My final badge is a badge for a family that all wear pajama sets. I love they was getting ready for bed and going to bed, all of them, and it wasn't all matching pajama sets. That's crucial. They just all were wearing pajama sets. And I love a pajama set.
Speaker 3: It's nice. That's nice.
Speaker 2: That is nice. Yeah, trages, trages. I have a trage for don't be hooking up with your students. She is a teen. Yes, I also that probably mean trag.
Speaker 3: That was a big one.
Speaker 2: Fortunately they only make out, but you shouldn't be doing that.
Speaker 3: Uh huh.
Speaker 4: She looks like such a child, she really though, I know, I love that. She was just she was gonna kiss her tutor.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she was like she was gonna do probably want to kiss someone else then, right, and he's like, uh, she's like mm.
Speaker 5: Oh a trag for.
Speaker 4: Uh a bastardization of Native American cultures.
Speaker 2: Yes, yeah, it's interesting to see how those things get sort of shipped over elsewhere.
Speaker 3: You know, it's interesting.
Speaker 4: Well, and it's like, you know, the messaging that is being received internationally about yea that like stock character type yeah, has been uh formulated by historically like white America, and so it's like, oh, you're not you're not receiving a nuanced interpretation of what that actually hundreds of cultures totally.
Speaker 2: Yeah, tragic to see the pr the pr uh yeah, traged for this isn't really tragic, just something that the one thing in the movie that I was like, wait, is when when the daughter, the good daughter who gets tutored, the rich daughter, suddenly when she's gonna look under her bed and see the oh yeah, tutor, and then she gets up and she just knows, she knows in her brain that her mom has eaten all she didn't get and she's like, why did you eat all of it? And I'm like, how did you know she ate all that?
Speaker 3: Her Spidey sense.
Speaker 2: That was the only that didn't make sense to me, And I noticed it because everything else or like that didn't make it felt like I was like, that doesn't seem like that actually makes sense, But everything else was just so perfect that it's h Yeah.
Speaker 4: My final t is attraged for it is sad. How afraid this woman is of her husband? Yeah, it just was so sad.
Speaker 3: Again, it was like.
Speaker 4: Portrayed very subtly, which I appreciated a lot actually, like yeah, totally, for lack of a better phrase, slap you in the face with it. But it was just so like, because that's a dynamic that you see all the time of like a couple that just doesn't like each other, or like a husband who just hates his wife or doesn't care about her.
Speaker 3: Really is the.
Speaker 4: Well, Sienna, let us climb the stairs into our segment. How to pretend you've seen this film? This is for you are at a garden party.
Speaker 2: Yes, you're at a garden party. It's set up.
Speaker 4: You're standing in sewage water, you know, like those are kind of the two.
Speaker 2: It's set up so beautifully that you hope that the person who set it up is getting paid extra. Yeah, and uh, you are about to eat a kebab. But I think about it when mister Park comes up to you and is like and goes, welcome, welcome to my home. I hope you're enjoying this. I bought this home because it reminded me, remind me of a movie where I didn't really get the movie, but I loved that house. I just thought that house was gorgeous. So that movie about the really beautiful house Parasite. Oh oh uh God, even though I didn't understand that, I did watch a video essay that I didn't again perfectly understand. But I'm going to regurgitate all of it to you, because boy, that film is just in.
Speaker 4: And in order to gag mister Park, preventing him from saying anything else to you, We're going to give you a few sentences you can say to pretend you've seen the film Parasite.
Speaker 2: Yes, mister Park, I've seen Parasite. Both the family homes in this were built from scratch. Oh, which is crazy, but also makes sense because, like you said, they were designed so specifically. WHOA, I guess kind of mimic each other. WHOA.
Speaker 4: Wow, Yes, mister Park, I've seen Parasite. It is a fascinating social commentary about a family living in poverty praying on the wealthy, which is an unusual flipping on its head of the typical dynamic of the wealthy praying.
Speaker 3: On the poor.
Speaker 2: Ah WHOA, oh my gosh. Yes, yes, mister Park, I have seen Parasite. In an interview with Korean magazine Seen a twenty one director, the director Bong Juno spoke about his experience filming in the hyper rich Korean home. He said his hand literally shook from anxiety when he was returning a trash can that was used as a prop. The trash can was of a high tech variety that stayed silent when the lid was closing. It was like a fancy trash can. They cost as much as twenty five hundred dollars. Oh. Also, I love hearing about huge productions like this that, like why was Bong June hoe? Why was the director of Parasite returning to your props. A love that, maybe because Mabee they were like, you can have this trash can, but only if it's hand delivery. Yeah by the director maybe literally like they didn't want like a pa getting a two five hundred dollars trash can. But like that's so funny and I love hearing how on these big productions they still are like, no, we need to return that.
Speaker 4: Like yeah, it's like when there's way too expensive. In Bridgerton, there was somebody in the room who had to monitor the bed that they were boinking on because the bed was worth way more than the actors. It was like an antique and so so. But he had to literally like watch the action, that is, to make sure they were going.
Speaker 2: To break the bed.
Speaker 4: That's so funny, Yes, mister Park, I've seen Parasite. The film, of course, as we've discussed, has motifs of both up and down, and it also includes the motif of beneath. We frequently see the main family who works for the wealthy family physically beneath the wealthy family. For example, when the tutor has to hide under the daughter's bed and she is lying on top of the bed, or when the family have to hide under the living room table, and that very same daughter sits on the living room table to text the tutor who's lying beneath the table. So this film has up down, it also has beneath. This film has many prepositions like.
Speaker 2: The use of lines and up and down, the use of up. I'm gonna say two more pieces of trivia here. One is interesting and one is funny. Uh yes, mister Park, I have seen I have seen parasite. First of all, Bonjun host says that he doesn't like when he's writing using elephants, using elements using elephants. He doesn't like.
Speaker 4: Don't like using elephants when he's writing.
Speaker 2: Using when I'm writing like CCTV recordings, mobile phones, and other technological advancements, which is interesting because I always wonder about that. It makes things like easier, and like the whole time you're watching this, we're like, do they have cameras in here?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: And they kind of need to address that stuff. It's probably annoying, right Yeah. And the other thing he said was the end credits song was a song that he wrote, oh called the Glass of Soju, and he said, please sing this song at karaoke so I can earn some money from it.
Speaker 3: You heard it from Bong Juno. Please sing a glass of soda? Do it karaoke? Everyone?
Speaker 4: Absolutely? Yes, mister Park, I've seen Parasite. Sorry, I got a little distracted because I've been eating cake on the floor and I think I've just seen a ghost. We have to get out of here.
Speaker 2: Well, Leanna, h huh? Shall we move on to our next segment? How to pretend? Nope? Just of course, should you watch this or where we tell you if you should watch this film or if you should do anything else with your time? Leanna? Grossed out?
Speaker 3: What do you do?
Speaker 4: Well? I was grossed out, but let's not forget I was also and gross Oh that's true.
Speaker 2: That's true.
Speaker 4: So I would say, yeah, absolutely a worthwhile watch.
Speaker 3: Check it out. If you want to watch a film that's good, watch Parasite.
Speaker 2: I would say the same. It's a fun use of the film medium. It makes me go okay, I get white people would make a film. I see why people would do film. Sianna, what would you rate the film Parasite? To be very honest, I think it's I think it's just too I think it's just that it did what it was doing. Think it did it really really well. I think it. I think it did that. I think it did the job. So I'm going to give this film, Uh.
Speaker 3: What just happened? Did you see?
Speaker 4: A specter of poverty.
Speaker 2: Came into delivery coffee? Which is so nice, but it literally made me go. That was a genuine scream.
Speaker 3: You got jump scared.
Speaker 2: That was a genuine scream. Oh my god.
Speaker 3: Uh wow.
Speaker 2: I would give this film, uh five floor cakes out of five. Mm, Leanna, what about yourself?
Speaker 4: I will give this film four Surloin pieces out of five.
Speaker 3: It was very good.
Speaker 4: I just as an experience for me to enjoy. The violence was like, huh yeah, but those three tiny dogs were so cute.
Speaker 3: So do you know what?
Speaker 4: They're boosting it up to a five Surloins Surloin pieces out of five.
Speaker 2: Just thinking about it now. And none of them died. I know it didn't because you know what, that wouldn't have helped the story.
Speaker 3: No, it wouldn't. There was no need.
Speaker 2: Wow. Well that's been parasite, A real thought provoking film that we recommend. Mm hmm. We've been tossed popcorn. We are on social media at tossed Popcorn on Instagram. Check us out for memes of each film that we watch every damn week. We're also on Patreon with a Boneless monthly episode in video form. That's patreon dot com. What did you say? A boneless monthly film?
Speaker 4: Boneless Lee episode? No spine to that episode? Absolute two cowards commenting bonus mock Patreon dot com. Slash tost Popcorn and join us next week when we will be watching the Cheetah Girls. Yes, yes, yes literally this week I texted my flatmate. I was like, God, I want to watch the Cheetah Girls.
Speaker 2: Oh my god?
Speaker 3: What I didn't even know it was next?
Speaker 2: That's crazy? Wow? Wow? Okay, well how perfect is that?
Speaker 3: Thank you?
Speaker 2: We love you.
Speaker 3: Bye.
Speaker 1: You can find us on Instagram as at Sienna Jaco and at Leona Holsten. Please check the description.
Speaker 3: For the spelling of our dumb names.
Speaker 1: We put out episodes every Tuesday, so make sure to subscribe so that you don't miss an episode. See you next week on Tossed Popcorn. For more podcasts from my Heart Radio, check the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: So much about Bong Junhu director?
Speaker 3: Do you remember when he made his two oscars? Kiss?
Speaker 2: No, that's so cute,