Speaker 1: And I invited you here. I thought I made myself perfectly clear. But you're a guest to my home. You gotta come to me empty And I said, no guests, you're our presences presents enough.
Speaker 2: I already had too much stuff, So how did you dare to surbey me?
Speaker 3: Welcome to I said, no gifts. I'm Bridgard Wineker. We're here in the studio. What's going on? It's lightly raining, well I would say media raining. And I took the freeway to get here, so the adrenaline is pulsing through my body, just absolutely coursing through me. I'm this is not something that I'm used to doing. I would have taken side streets, but I obviously didn't. My morning was wasted in a bad way, and I left too late, and then I stopped at Found Coffee, got a little distracted there. You know, I'm just getting distracted all over the place, and then I'm putting myself in danger. But now we're here, is there's something. What I was going to say was yesterday I was a Joanne fabric and we all know Joanne is closing down. It was a horrible experience. I mean, of course, it's going out of business. I hate to see it go, but Joanne, you've been sick a long time, and I think it's probably for the best. I bought nothing. It was chaos, and now I don't know where to turn to for craft supplies. But maybe a Michael's. I don't know. I haven't been a Michael's for years. Is there anything else I have to say? I was just a reminder about the Patreon. The Patreon is still fresh and new, So go over to patreon dot com slash. I said, no gifts and sign up. We're having a nice time over there. Okay, I think it's time to get into the podcast. I love today's guest. Everybody loves today's guest. It's Oscar Nunez. Oscar, welcome to I said, no gifts.
Speaker 4: Thank you. It's nice to be here, am I Are we on? All the cameras on?
Speaker 3: The cameras are on. It's this is a whole new element within the last maybe six to eight months of the podcast, where the video is this whole thing that we're really adjusting to. And there are at least three cameras in the room, potentially more and so and I've been told by our producer on a lease they said, look into the camera as the show begins, which is such an unnatural feeling.
Speaker 4: You were looking here.
Speaker 3: I was looking right over here, talking to no one, talking to the viewer. But it's it's something you adjust to. And are you looking at your camera?
Speaker 4: I see it.
Speaker 3: You could say something to this viewer at home.
Speaker 4: Hello from Hollywood everyone. So, so there's no live audience here.
Speaker 3: There's not yet. Okay, not yet. We're building to that. I think eventually we'll be in front of a studio audience screaming fans. Yeah kind of a price, is right vibe? Yeah, I mean I wouldn't mind just having a giant wheel to spin, just because just because it has nothing to do with the rest of the show. Nobody wins anything.
Speaker 4: Well, I can attest to the weather. It is raining. I too do not like highways. I'd rather take regular streets. But yeah, it's slippery out.
Speaker 3: There with I'm glad to hear this about highways. Do you when you open Google Maps or whatever map application you're using, do you turn off highways?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 3: Okay, you're stronger than me.
Speaker 4: Sometimes I have to. Sometimes we have to, Yes, because of time. Right, If I have my brothers, I just I'd rather take other streets which are just as fast in La.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's essentially you're probably going to be going twenty five to thirty five miles an hour no matter what type of road you're on.
Speaker 4: That's right. I don't want to say alternates because then there's too many people and then they'll start taking them.
Speaker 3: Oh you know what, terrible for those neighborhoods where suddenly there are fifty cars going.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'll just say supulvida and the four or five. Supulvida is just as good as the four or five in some sections, right, some stretches. Absolutely, all right, we'll be right back after.
Speaker 3: I will say the secret I think to modern living. If you want to live in a quiet, not busy neighbor neighborhood as you have to live on a dead end. And then Google's not going to wrap.
Speaker 4: Yes there, Yes, you're cul de sacs.
Speaker 3: Cul de sacs. Yeah, that cul de sac is kind of a rebranding of a dead end. It's a more pleasant way to say dead end.
Speaker 4: Well, I think the cult a sac dead end. Some implies it just stops. It's just a sac gives you a way to get.
Speaker 3: Out, right, you can go around otherwise, but the dead end, you're going to be backing up at three at least three point. Could de sac is such a fancy term.
Speaker 4: Sounds French to me.
Speaker 3: I know, I wonder what that actually means the French on alease? Would you mind looking up what coul de sac actually means? I mean, I feel like, uh.
Speaker 4: Thank you on aalise yes something. Yeah, it's French.
Speaker 3: It's an interesting good thing. I have to imagine it's been around for a long time, maybe even pre dating cars, because it feels like a weird thing to just suddenly be part of the normal streets system.
Speaker 4: What came first? Cul de sac? The actual cul a sack or the phrase could deck right right?
Speaker 3: My guess is that I.
Speaker 4: Think I'm going with the phrase came first.
Speaker 3: It feels like the phrase must be almost I think a metaphor. It probably meant something else.
Speaker 4: Probably yeah, yeah, cold.
Speaker 3: De se coal sounds like end end of sack street streets street. Yeah, probably doesn't.
Speaker 5: Mean so it literally means bottom of a sack.
Speaker 4: Oh, oh, the bottom of the sack?
Speaker 3: Wow, how gorgeous? Yeah, okay, god bless who ever decided to use that?
Speaker 4: Yeah, they took it, and they made it horizontal. They took a vertical concept right the bottom of.
Speaker 3: The kind of lay it out there, you get to the bottom of the sack.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Wow, that's a You learn something every day, you really do.
Speaker 4: Yes, this is it's informative. I did not know what to expect. I've never heard of this show.
Speaker 3: Now, this podcast number one, I was told to be here. It's a utility. This is this podcast is to educate and inform beyond all else.
Speaker 4: How many years have you been doing this?
Speaker 3: Five years?
Speaker 4: Five years?
Speaker 3: Wow?
Speaker 4: Congratulations, thank you very much. That's not nothing.
Speaker 3: Five years today, five years shockingly, yes, five years ago. March of twenty twenty, March twelfth, at least within Los Angeles, I think was kind of officially lockdown day.
Speaker 4: Okay.
Speaker 3: We had obviously planned in advance that this podcast would be launching on March March twelve, and so then suddenly everyone on the internet was rightfully talking about a bigger issue. And then there was me saying, by the way, I have.
Speaker 4: A podcast, at.
Speaker 3: Which was a confusing feeling. It didn't quite feel right, But I had no choice.
Speaker 4: I have no choice.
Speaker 3: You know, that's the business sunk on you. Five years, five years there we go sunk on.
Speaker 4: I'm guessing here on your it sounds like Spanish.
Speaker 3: Sonk is five r sunk is five, and I think maybe it's just on. Oh yeah, possibly This is four years of French and Utah public school, so you can count on me to.
Speaker 4: Utah. Yes, yes, what did you teach French?
Speaker 3: I know I learned there or tried to learn. Yes, yes, petit mercy boku. That's a bad as far as we can go. Mat uh poor quis poor?
Speaker 4: Qua?
Speaker 3: Uh? What is welcome? Bi? Venue venue? Then venue a la podcast ah? Wait, I wonder what I said no gifts would be uh jena uh par No, No, what are you saying?
Speaker 4: I don't speak.
Speaker 3: I didn't say gifts, all right, I said no gifts. Maybe it's just pa gifts all right, right, no gifts, no gifts. Of course we're saying gifts, which is simply no.
Speaker 4: No, it's another word.
Speaker 3: Presence looks like a French word.
Speaker 4: Yes, yes, it looks like when I don't but.
Speaker 3: I don't know that it means that it's a one to one. But we got close enough there. Maybe a listener is one of our French listeners screaming out now and they can reach out later in France. People are listening all over the worldwide. It's a weird feeling. Wow, So you have people that have no business listening to my life, prying, getting on online and then just listening to hours of me talking.
Speaker 4: You know, sometimes just people do it to relax people, right, Some people are interesting their yoga, they're driving. Whatever.
Speaker 3: The idea of me listening to this podcast that's the last Have you listened to it? Oh yeah, I mean early on I had to listen to a lot of it because of like we were getting used to what is the show we're editing?
Speaker 4: So you have no choice?
Speaker 3: And I mean, I don't know how you feel about hearing your own voice, but I don't like it. It's a painful thing. I mean I think you get a little used to it.
Speaker 4: You do, eventually you're forced to. I'd rather see myself than hear my voice. But I'm getting used to it. Did you have notes for yourself? For you hard on yourself?
Speaker 3: Early on? Of course, so hard and I continue. Actually it just continued to be.
Speaker 4: It's a growing process.
Speaker 3: But I no longer really listen to the episodes. I say, I trust on Elis. They five years, they take it. At some point you have to just get have to stop. You just have to say it is what it is. People will be listening and screaming in France and there's nothing I can.
Speaker 4: I've yet to watch The Office. I hear good things.
Speaker 3: How much of the Office have you seen?
Speaker 4: As we were shooting, we watched it every episode that came out, and then that's it. And then years later I was in Toronto and I had lots of time to kill because I was shooting a show, and then and I watched I went back and watched the whole thing, wow again and I found two episodes that were okay, and the rest were actually quite funny and good.
Speaker 3: Oh, I thought you were gonna say the rest is garfage job.
Speaker 4: That's what I watched it because I was in Toronto and I think there's three universities in Toronto and they have a wonderful Indian and Pakistani population and all that. And I kept getting assaulted in a good way by all these college bros on the street. Dude, and I'm like, oh, these guys are all right. Let me go back and watch the show, because I mean, maybe it was still crazy about.
Speaker 3: It and right maybe more so now than every.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so I went back and watched. I'm like, oh, yeah, it holds up.
Speaker 3: Now you catch a glimpse of yourself in the mirror, freak out.
Speaker 4: That's right. Yeah, So it was good to do that, but I don't I don't think I need to do it again.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's a lot of TV.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's enough.
Speaker 3: How many episodes is that? It's probably I don't know, two's.
Speaker 4: Something like that. Yeah, something like.
Speaker 3: That from a time period when you would make twenty four episodes.
Speaker 4: That's right. Season, that's exactly right.
Speaker 3: It's kind of in our past. Now you make about an episode and a half season, Yeah, and then they cancel it.
Speaker 4: That's right.
Speaker 3: So people get about forty minutes of a television.
Speaker 4: Yeah, some shows are canceled before they go on the air. But you still do it. You still do it.
Speaker 3: That's a rough feeling. Yeah, make a show and then it just gets dumped.
Speaker 4: That's what's happening tax right, offs right, it feels that way.
Speaker 3: Yes. How long have you lived in la Oh?
Speaker 4: Thirty something years?
Speaker 3: Okay, and prior to that you were in New York.
Speaker 4: Yes, I grew up in New Jersey. I was in Florida before I came where Florida in Naples, first Miami Lakes, then Naples I was with my sister and brother in law for about a year something like that.
Speaker 3: Do you spend much time in Florida now?
Speaker 4: No? No, my parents have both passed away. Merchandises available, but ever since my mom passed away, my my wife is like, well, you don't visit much, so you used to go see your mom didn't right, I'm like, yeah, it feels that way. I still have nephews there and my sister, but we don't go back. You know what, We're going back like in April. I think we're going back this year because Kevin is getting married one of my nephews, So we're going to go do that.
Speaker 3: Do they ever visit you here? This is my problem.
Speaker 4: No, No one comes out here. Only cousin Martha and Sabino out. Finally, after a thousand years begging, yeah, only Samino and cousin Martha. My sister came out when I got married. That was I don't know how many years, about thirteen years ago with my mom. But no, they you know what, they're starting to come out. I shouldn't say that. Ian came out. Also, my nephew. So like three or four of them have come out.
Speaker 3: And do they stay with you or is it just like, oh, we'll meet you for luck.
Speaker 4: We know they stay. Ian has a family, and so they stayed at a B and B, which was wonderful in Studio City. Cousin Martha stayed with us. We put her in a little trailer out in the driveway.
Speaker 3: Okay, great, one of those little poll like airstreams.
Speaker 4: Exactly. We put her in one of those. She loved it out there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, when family comes, I'm happy to have them come, but I feel so responsible for their happiness that it I think it becomes almost just a detrimental to our relationship because I'm trying too hard. They're trying too hard to not get in the way, and then it ends up being this thing where nobody knows what they want to do. I'm saying, I, I can't just sit around watching TV with you. That's not what why you came here. Please tell me what you want to do. But they say, well, I don't want to be a bother.
Speaker 4: Newsflash, Bridger, Welcome to planet Earth. That's what happens. That's the cycle.
Speaker 3: It's horrible.
Speaker 4: I know, what are you gonna do well.
Speaker 3: I would hope that they've come to town and say, well, I want to go to the wax Museum.
Speaker 4: They don't know what they want.
Speaker 3: You have to know what they want. They're just being too polite.
Speaker 4: Take them around, show them a good time. They're just happy to be They're overwhelmed by Hollywood, by the glitz. They know who you have on the show.
Speaker 3: And I think they're underwhelmed. I think they got here and you see all of it and you're like, what the hell is this?
Speaker 4: Oh, Hollywood's overrated. I feel bad for tourists. I feel bad for people who come here and don't know anyone, and they come as a family.
Speaker 3: Seems very confused.
Speaker 4: I feel bad for them because I see them and wandering around, like you said, Hollywood Boulevard, and you're like, you don't need to be here, but it's what they what they like, they want to do that you can't talk them out of it.
Speaker 3: La is kind of a trap in that way where it seems like a vacation day destination. It seems like you've seen all these things on TV and the movies. Oh, it's so glitzy and glamorous, and then you get here, and it's just a lot of pavement and litter.
Speaker 4: It's good if you know someone. Yeah, if you're young, it's okay. It's a family that's kind of a little difficult. It's not really for kids. No, it's not for kids. That's you know, Disneyland Universal. But I've seen parks.
Speaker 3: Who cares and Disneyland is an hour away. Yeah, and Universal is fine. So and then what do you do with the children. Otherwise, I guess you go to the Wax Museum or wander through Griffith Park.
Speaker 4: There's things to do, but you can't if you come and you and you say, look, I want to stay on Hollywood Boulevard. I want to stay quote unquote right, So stay on some sip boulevard. And then if you have kids, little kids or whatever, then go to the Getty Museum, go to the Skirball.
Speaker 3: Center, Skirball that's a nice one.
Speaker 4: Yeah, get out of Hollywood, go to Malibu, to the beach, go to the beach, go to those parks, Roy Rogers. But now you can't go there.
Speaker 3: It's not the tonal, not ideal. Yeah, so this is a Yeah. Whenever my family would come to southern California, we really never went through LA because I think my parents smartly, smartly understood what would we do with the kids here?
Speaker 4: What would you do?
Speaker 3: But then you see families wandering around, Yeah, and they'll be like, what is going on?
Speaker 4: You can't rain on their parade? Let them? I mean they there's like one block that's okay on Hollywood Boulevard. Is that I don't know, like Man's Chinese. They want to do that, They want to see that stuff. It's hidden, miss you know.
Speaker 3: That, yes, yes, yeah, but then you see all of the costume superheroes.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and sadness and the homelessness and stuff. I hate seeing people who aren't prepared for that. I'm used to it, but if you walk by and you see a homeless person, that's traumatic. There's just a lot have little kids. I've never seen it before. Yeah, it's tough.
Speaker 3: It's not great. A lot of good food, though, a lot of wonderful food to eat.
Speaker 4: Yeah, there's good food. There's good restaurants. We have the best sushi arguably Japan and San Francisco and US. Yes, we have great.
Speaker 3: Mexican food, great Mexican food.
Speaker 4: There's good Italian places. There's good restaurants. The children is the thing?
Speaker 3: Where do your kids?
Speaker 4: Don't care? Yeah? How do you you know? You go to Malibu, go to the beach, those are from things.
Speaker 3: Take the kids to Burger King.
Speaker 4: Yeah. And if you if you know someone that's great. Yeah, you know someone who lives here.
Speaker 3: I mean, what did you do with cousin Martha when she came? She was in the trailer and did she just do her own thing?
Speaker 4: I have a twelve year old daughter. They hang out together. Martha loves her trailer. She loves hanging out with me. If if she comes, then some days she'll just run errands with me, Like if she was here today, she would be sitting in the booth. Yes, she does that. She comes, and then but then I'll take her to the Beverly Hilton or you know too shutters sure, and then she likes that, right, right, We take her out to dinner and she hangs out with my wife and they'll do something. She'll hike, right, So there's plenty for her to do.
Speaker 3: What kind of errands do you run?
Speaker 4: You're dry cleaning, right, you're dropping by the manager, Hey, Hi, how are you what's going on? Sure? Podcasts adr work? Sure, stuff like that, dropping off my daughter at school because of Martha would come. She enjoys that driving down Mulholland Boulevard, arguably one of the most beautiful drives in the States.
Speaker 3: Lovely. So things like that, do you do any grocery shopping?
Speaker 4: A little bit? Okay? Why what do you ask about?
Speaker 3: I'm just curious about errands. The only errand I really run is is grocery shopping. I can't really think of other things that I do. I felt like growing up, my mom had a billion errands every day that we would have to go on. And now I go and get a coffee.
Speaker 4: You're done?
Speaker 3: What am I doing?
Speaker 4: What are you doing? Yeah?
Speaker 3: I go to the grocery store and sometimes just because because I'm like, I have to do something, I should leave the house. Are you Are you cruising the grocery I'm cruising grocery store.
Speaker 4: That's that's a thing from the seventies and eighties. I'm the grocery store cruise all the time. Now everything everything's on grinder on your apps.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's just on. Yeah, I mean every every errand has been destroying app.
Speaker 4: There's no cruising.
Speaker 3: There's probably cruising, but it's probably people that most people don't want to be cruised by.
Speaker 4: It's the older generation, that's what you're getting out because they don't use the French coats. They don't use the grinders. Yes, is grinder still a thing?
Speaker 3: Grinder is still a thing. I think it's, you know, thriving. They've got an app for every everything. I think there's something called Sniffies. I'm not sure what that is, but I think that that's a new app, but I'm going to the gross.
Speaker 4: Has to do with the factory, with a sense of smell. Something's going on there.
Speaker 3: It's kind of taking you to different sense bakeries, skunks, that kind of thing.
Speaker 4: Wow, people are really bored and aimless.
Speaker 3: People need something to do.
Speaker 4: They need stuff today.
Speaker 3: They get on the app and they say, take me to a small.
Speaker 4: That's what happens when you take people's errands away. They're like, what do I do now? Where I haven't smelled in a while? What does strawberry smell like?
Speaker 3: I actually have a horrible sense of smell, which is scary.
Speaker 4: I have an okay, when my wife has an incredible sense like like a bloodhound.
Speaker 3: Oh, I would love that. I would you important one?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 4: I don't know. Sometimes she like we're just home, and she's like, she'll say, what's that smell?
Speaker 3: Uh huh? And you didn't notice it?
Speaker 4: No, I don't know what it is. I'm from New Jersey. Smells come, smells go, who cares? But she doesn't say it, like in passing, like what's that smell? And you and you're like and you sniffing and go, I don't know, and then you let it go. She's like, no, no, what's that smell? And then you have to go hunting for like a maniac in the girl.
Speaker 3: You don't have the skills to hunt it. I don't have How are you supposed to find it? She?
Speaker 4: I take her word. She's she's usually right. If I go where she's standing and I really I'm like, oh, yeah, I smell like a light scent of lemon. I don't know what you want me to do about it, or what there is to do about it. Why is it a thing? But it's a thing that we must track down.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's my worry is that I'm just letting smells come and go while rangers come in the house and they're like, what is the smell in that house?
Speaker 4: Welcome to my life? What's that smell, and then you have to track it down. It's not just like, oh, let it go, no, no, no, Now you have.
Speaker 3: To find it at the bottom of it, because it could be something bad. It could be a black mold.
Speaker 4: That's usually what it is. That's her worst fear. It's either an animal dead in the walls, or black mold or dampness. Dampness is bad to smell. Dampness in your house is a very bad thing.
Speaker 3: That is a scary thing.
Speaker 4: First comes the smell, then comes the bill for the smell. There's money involved with a smell.
Speaker 3: Some sort of biological damage. I don't know why, and you know years of medical help and attention that you're gonna need. It's very scary. You got to check out for the back.
Speaker 4: It's very good hearing too.
Speaker 3: You've got good hearing, she does. I'm glad that.
Speaker 4: Her hearing is as good as her smell.
Speaker 3: Oh how's your hearing?
Speaker 4: It's okay, But it's not like her. I have good, very good hearing, not great smell. I have very good hearing. She has better hearing. My daughter has very good hearing too, and she has a very good smell. Ursula has very good smell sense. Of smell.
Speaker 3: I get nervous about my hearing. Why so, I've gone to a lot of loud concerts.
Speaker 4: You're okay, I've done I've done that, I think so. Yeah, I'm at least two years older than you. And if I'm okay, then you're okay. I used to go to concerts and my ears would ring for two days after all, this crazy person.
Speaker 3: I'm finally taking earplugs to concerts. Yeah, okay, I put them in my pocket. I try to remember them.
Speaker 4: What was the last concert you were?
Speaker 3: Last concert? Oh? And this is another thing I'm terrified about, is my memory? Like, how am I supposed to remember the last concert I went to?
Speaker 4: I would have to, Uh, well, you're a young person, I think I would like.
Speaker 3: I'm just I have I've always had a bad memory. I have a good memory for remembering.
Speaker 4: You seriously don't know the last concert you went.
Speaker 3: Let's see, we're in eight We're I'm currently in March. Let's see what would have been the last thing?
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 3: It must not have made any impression on me whatsoever, which is too bad for the What was one.
Speaker 4: Of the last concerts who went to?
Speaker 3: It doesn't have to be I know it was in the lodge room in Highland Park. I met friends there, We had a good time.
Speaker 4: You were roofied. Remember a thing.
Speaker 3: Oh it's mortifying that I can't remember who it was. And now I kind of don't even want to look it up because then it kind of do you mind if I look it up.
Speaker 4: I'm concerned.
Speaker 3: I'm genuinely concerned right now. I feel like I should be able to remember, and then if it's somebody that I really like, it's gonna be even more embarrassing.
Speaker 4: Let's see here, there's probably someone you liked because you paid money, we think, right, Yeah, of course.
Speaker 3: Oh do you know who? One of the last people I saw was Jonathan Richmond? Do you know him from the Modern Lovers? And it was fantastic. He's been around for decades.
Speaker 4: Okay, that's what an icon Modern Lovers is.
Speaker 3: A Modern Lovers were you know, seventies bands.
Speaker 4: Yeah, okay, that's what I thought.
Speaker 3: Then it was Jonathan Richmond and the Modern Lovers.
Speaker 4: Jonathan rich was it.
Speaker 3: He's I mean, he's a life force. He's amazing. You see him on stage and he's.
Speaker 4: That's so cool.
Speaker 3: Just pure joy.
Speaker 4: Give me some hits.
Speaker 3: What's going on with the mo I bet you've heard road Runner.
Speaker 4: Yes, I know Roadrunner.
Speaker 3: That's like I think that's a modern lover's biggest hit. Roadrunner, Yes, got the radio incredible song. Yes, I mean he's kind of had a very consistent career. And then you see is he from a Massachusetts He's from yeah, Boston, I think are you from there?
Speaker 4: I'm not.
Speaker 3: I'm from Utah.
Speaker 4: Wow.
Speaker 3: And yet you love the Massachusetts But I love these Massachusetts band?
Speaker 4: Well, if you like that sound. Do you like the Tom Robinson Band? Do you know who Tom Robins?
Speaker 3: No, I'm not familiar Tom Robinson Band.
Speaker 4: If you like the sound of this fella, the guy you just mentioned, Jonathan Richmond. If you like the sound of his voice and that kind of rock and roll, check out the Tom Robinson.
Speaker 3: Okay, I'm gonna write myself a little note. Do you ever write yourself a little note?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Remember a couple of six months.
Speaker 4: They have a couple of hits, they have a couple of good SKay.
Speaker 3: Were they operating in the seventies?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, Yeah.
Speaker 3: Is the type of music you like?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 4: I like that music.
Speaker 3: Sure, what's your favorite type of music?
Speaker 4: If push came to shove and then shove, shove, shove, and you won't stop shoving me. I'm always stop leave me alone, all right, whatever? And I have to pick like a genre, it would be the first wave of English rock.
Speaker 3: Oh, because I'm in the Beatles type.
Speaker 4: Kinks, Beatles, Jethro Tol Yes, I love that. There's nothing better than that.
Speaker 3: I mean, I could listen to the Kinks all day.
Speaker 4: Yeah. I turned my daughter onto the Kinks. I love that that she she knows the Kinks.
Speaker 3: Now the Waterloo Sunset.
Speaker 4: Yeah sure, I was just listening to that yesterday.
Speaker 3: What a phenomenal song.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, so stuff like that, Elton John, those guys, Queen.
Speaker 3: I saw a Queen and concert you're kidding? Yeah, sure, with Freddy Mercury.
Speaker 4: With Freddy Mercury, I think that year he became ill. Oh my god, I think it was that year. Where did you see them at the garden with my friend Mike the hippie.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 4: He was one of the best concerts ever. Wow. He was great. They were great. They were great.
Speaker 3: Queen was a band I think I take for granted. Oh they're so good because they are They've just kind of been in everyone's life forever. And so you never think, oh, I'll listen to Queen, but then you listen to him, like, oh, yeah, of course they're fantastic.
Speaker 4: No, they're great, and they paved the way for so many you know that kind of operatic.
Speaker 3: I just can't imagine seeing Queen now that's an audit.
Speaker 4: No, they have a guy. He's good, he's got a beautiful voice. What's his name, Brian, who's the guy? It's a guy from American Idol. Yes, he's tall. He's tall.
Speaker 3: I was gonna say Adam Brodie, but that's not no. But Adam. They had a guy before him, but they that guy stink.
Speaker 4: They got rid of him because Queen likes a gay son, and I think they picked a fella Adam Lambert.
Speaker 3: Lambert.
Speaker 4: He's a very very good singer.
Speaker 3: Okay, I mean, and he was on American Idol.
Speaker 4: He's good, he's got the goods.
Speaker 3: But it is just one of those things where it's almost like, I mean, the singer is always for me the band, So if it's not the original singer, it's like a clone has appeared.
Speaker 4: Well, he's got big shoes to fill, but they love him, they genuinely. Brian May and the boys. They love him, they support him, and he's a great singer. He really, yeah, he's really He's the only fella that could have taken Freddy's place.
Speaker 3: Sure, sure, well, I think there's something else we need to talk about. Unfortunately, I was really looking forward to having you on the podcast. I thought, Oscar will come by, well chat, he'll head off and hang out with cousin Martha, and so I was a little surprised when you showed up to the studio the podcast is called. I said, no gifts. I'll just make that very clear. I hope there was an email or somebody at least at one point mentioned to you you're going on. I said, no gifts, but I feel like maybe there was some miscommunication because you showed.
Speaker 4: Up with a gift. There was a miscommunication. And it's a very special day because.
Speaker 3: Five years for five years sure, and I.
Speaker 4: Think today I officially have become my mother, as you will. The gift will oh interesting that the metaphor metamorphosis is complete.
Speaker 3: I'm very excited about this.
Speaker 4: Take a look.
Speaker 3: Then we should open it here on the podcast.
Speaker 4: This is something she would have loved to receive or give. Her favorite gift to give or receive. Okay, let's get rid of that.
Speaker 3: Oh I'm smelling something. Wow, yeah, interesting, we were talking.
Speaker 4: About it's the best, it's the best. Okay, I'm pulling out.
Speaker 3: Oh two beautiful bars of soap.
Speaker 4: My favorite soaps in the world.
Speaker 3: A Cosmopolitan, waiver Tree in London, Waiver Tree and London in Australia. I'm smelling ones in English Rose, which we're kind of familiar with that and.
Speaker 4: That's her favorite sent And the other one is it's a cause fancy. Yeah, because it's fancy.
Speaker 3: I wonder what that made. It's like, what does a cosmos smell like lemonae?
Speaker 4: I think it's more the feeling of night, you know, being out on the martini in Manhattan in the evening, something like that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean it says the cosmos sophisticated, stylish, refined and oh soo Manhattan there you go. I mean Manhattan. I don't know if it's known for it smells pleasant, smells no rats and urine.
Speaker 4: But the Manhattan's indoor smells indoor, smells of a shindoor place.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, yes, it's.
Speaker 4: A lot going on in Manhattan.
Speaker 3: Wow, how did you find out about these bars of soap?
Speaker 4: I've been buying them for a couple of years now. As I said, my mom loves soaps and purses. Okay, if you gave her a fancy purse with soaps inside, that's but so I've been buying these soaps. It's my favorite soap. I don't buy them all the time, but I've got a bunch of them underneath the sink, ready to go alternate okay by reasonable dove, you know, regular.
Speaker 3: Yes, right to bring this out for parties.
Speaker 4: And we have them in the bathroom shower, oh okay, okay. And I love them. I love the I love the marketing. I love the way they're they're wrapped gifts, and each one is different. There's many different ones. There's different flavors and from the from the beach. One is called Havana. They have some from India.
Speaker 3: It's where do you buy them?
Speaker 4: At this fancy drug store up in the Beverly Glen where I go.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, up there, there's uh yeah a lot of those tiny types of shops up there. There are kind of very specific types of things. I love an old fashioned drug store or pharmacy.
Speaker 4: So this is where I buy them in and the pharmacy has wonderful picture frames and books, coffee table books.
Speaker 3: It's almost like a gift.
Speaker 4: Shop, yes slash pharmacy.
Speaker 3: Right, it's not like your typical uh Walgreens or cvs where you're being blinded by fluoresta.
Speaker 4: It's not your father's pharmacy.
Speaker 3: Not my father's. Yeah, so your mom loved soap? Was did you always have nice oaps around the house or was this like a later in life thing where she's like, listen, I love a good scent.
Speaker 4: It was a later in life thing. But you just reminded me of something of a soap experience. Oh boy, I had. And it's one of my daughter's favorite stories that I tell. So when I was in my early teens, there was a phenomenon and it was soap on a rope.
Speaker 3: Oh sure was a big deal. What is soap on a rope? I'm not even I mean, I can obviously conceptualize that, but what was the point.
Speaker 4: You can hang it on the on the faucet, oh right, right, you can hang it on the foster, hang it around your neck, I guess. And it was a big deal. And it was like brute brutes had a soap on a rope high Karate, oh, some other brands, but I remember Brute was a big deal. It was like it was it's not women's soap, it's men soap. Yes, it was marketed to It was a you know, Esquire magazine and Playmore and all that.
Speaker 3: It was that Era is a weapon.
Speaker 4: Yes, Doubles is a weapon. It's cool. It's sophisticated for some reason. And I had a soap and a rope. I probably got it for my birthday or christ or something. And I love my soap on a rope. And I was in the bathroom taking a shower and I'm like, oh, soap on a rope. It's so good, all right, this is the best shower ever. And I'm like, oh, soap, I love you so much. And I'm like, oh soap, and I'm like soap hollon because in Spanish, soap is Howon. Oh okay, so I'm like, oh, soap is how On in Spanish, and I'm like start thinking. I'm like hav On and I'm like, huh, hav on harmon because ham is hamone and soap is how On And I knew better, but I'm like, are the grown ups messing with me? Like it like ha on, Like they're giving me a hint, like soap is edible. It's like half and it's edible. So here's a hint. We're not telling you. Yeah, And I'm like, I'll get to the bottom of this knowing damn, well, then it's not gonna taste like hamin or whatever. But I just got into the temptation. Yeah, I'm like, I'm going to get to the botto of this. And I took a huge bite all the soap on the rope and feel terrible. It made my mouth ith a lot, and I started laughing. I'm like, why did you do that? But I was thirteen, your brains not developed. But anyway, and I spit it out. I'm like, oh my god, I ruin my soap on a rope. But I did it. It was fine. So yeah I did that. Wow.
Speaker 3: And yeah, I don't think i've ever There was always that thread of washing your mouth out with soap as a kid, did it and you actually did it?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 3: How long did that taste last in your mouth?
Speaker 4: Just like a good five minutes or something. I just rinsed it out, but my mouth was itching a lot. I'm like, oh my god, no, wonder they say that it's dangerous.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's dangerous. I'm glad you didn't swallow it.
Speaker 4: No, but I'm like, it can't be that bad. And why do people say, I'm going to wash your mouth. There's so many questions. I'm like, I'm just gonna get her over with and see what this whole thing's about.
Speaker 3: Kind of the person that all companies are writing like not suitable for children on their products because they don't who would have.
Speaker 4: Thought never in a thound and they're like, oh, was he three? No he was? He was thirteen solid, Yes, he should have known better.
Speaker 3: This is somebody who could have push came to shove drive a car.
Speaker 4: I was no let bridge it, no bridging.
Speaker 3: This is someone who could be in college. This is doogie howser.
Speaker 4: I think, yes, I could have been a doctor. I was in the like the seventh Sea. I should have known better. I did know better.
Speaker 3: I just did it just because I feel like, yeah, maybe I feel like the real cutoff, And my apologies to you is probably third grade I eating soap.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah it was. It was definitely a ridiculous. Even in the fourth grade. It was.
Speaker 3: It was a moment we all develop it different.
Speaker 4: It was a moment.
Speaker 3: Listen, we're all learning. My younger sister taught me to tie my shoes. We all our brains are just shaping in different ways. And for you, eating soap took a little bit longer to figure out.
Speaker 4: I took a bite out of the soap. I didn't swallow it. I didn't eat it, but I did want to taste.
Speaker 3: You're a curious purse.
Speaker 4: I was curious what happens.
Speaker 3: To the soap on the rope. Once the soap is done, you get to keep the rope for other uses.
Speaker 4: Now you throw it out. You throw it out, yeah before when it gets when they get sad and small and whatever, you just throw it out and get another so on a rope. It is, you know, it's kind of like a toy. It's kind of like a thing. Bob Guccioni's pushing it, And.
Speaker 3: Who's Bob gucci He.
Speaker 4: Was the sophisticated editor and the founder of Penthouse Magazine, which gave it was the competition of Playboard, right of course, but he had a deeper voice. He had a deeper voice than uh then uh he then uh.
Speaker 3: He was kind of a weasly car.
Speaker 4: He was weasily and Bob guccin he looked most sophisticated, and he was Italian. He was a thicker face and thicker eyebrows, and he would ciar cigar and he was very reclining and very sophisticating. And but we will cover at the Baucher. We can write articles about it. Stuff like that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that seems more soap on the rope than.
Speaker 4: Was very soap on as always Joe Namath. Joe Namath gave off of see the playboys.
Speaker 3: Of that era, single guys, single guys who you probably wouldn't be comfortable alone in a room with.
Speaker 4: No just going around drinking too much, being stupid, riving cattle. They're athletes, yes or whatever?
Speaker 3: Right, yeah, kind of we I feel like we've moved past them, and they're soap on the rope. I think it's good, Yeah, probably for the best. They wore furs, They wore furs, They drank whiskey.
Speaker 4: They drank whiskey, they wore sunglasses. They treated women like like like nuts, well at the best, like just objects, sure, just like like things, things like things.
Speaker 3: We've moved past. What's his name, Bob GUCCIONI, Yeah, that's his name. I can't believe. I actually feel great that I was a.
Speaker 4: How could you forget that name? If you're tired off? You want something more sophisticated than Playboy magazine Penthouse.
Speaker 3: As I was saying, Bob, Guccioni is like, this cannot possibly be the person's name. That's it. It feels like real that's his name. Stereotypical Italian name. Guccioni sounds dangerous to me.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it sounds it sounds a little. Yeah, the Guccionies, don't mess don't mess with the Gucciones.
Speaker 3: I imagine you had some Guccionis around you in New Jersey.
Speaker 4: No, not Gucciones. I had a Novembrie. May he rest in peace? And uh who else? Well, the memory comes to mind because he was a good friend.
Speaker 3: Okay, Novembri, Novembur.
Speaker 4: That's Italian.
Speaker 3: That's like a light Italian name. It's a little bit.
Speaker 4: I think he even speak. It was Italian. He's like, oh it's Italian.
Speaker 3: Oh interesting, Yeah, Well, my boyfriend's last name is Smgoula. He's half Italian, and I always thought Smagola sounds like a stereotype of an Italian.
Speaker 4: That sounds crazy.
Speaker 3: It's a Polish name.
Speaker 4: No wonder, now that makes more sense, right, Yeah.
Speaker 3: But like if I were to create an Italian cartoon character, I have a name. It Jimmy'smagoo.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Jamius Magoula.
Speaker 3: But that's his name, and it's Polish.
Speaker 4: She makes no sense.
Speaker 3: His mother's name last name is or made a name is Francini, which is more Italian. She's Italian, she's absolutely Italian.
Speaker 4: And his dad's Polish. And your parents.
Speaker 3: White Mutts, Yeah, yeah, yeah, English, German, Scottish.
Speaker 4: Where were you born?
Speaker 3: Salt Lake City?
Speaker 4: All right, you said, yeah, Utah, So okay.
Speaker 3: My lineage is just kind of all over the map.
Speaker 4: It's the same here.
Speaker 3: Where are your parents from?
Speaker 4: My parents are from Cuba, Oh Cuba. Yeah. My grandfathers on both sides are from Spain. Oh so they went to Cuba.
Speaker 3: But you have a little bit more direct you're able to point to I'm just like I guess somewhere in the UK, maybe German.
Speaker 4: Well, most people are most people. I'm I'm mostly we did the twenty three and me or whatever. I'm mostly what we knew, no surprises, the Iberian Peninsula, Spain and Africa. That's what Cubas are for the most part, right, So yeah, so there was no surprises. A little bit of English, a little bit of Jewish, which I love, that's great, Yeah, a little dash of something else, yes, and the two things I loved English and yeah, and my wife a lot of French okay, which we knew, Welsh English okay. And Neanderthal. Oh good because French. And she had a lot of Neanderthal.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 4: They sent her a letter and said you have a lot of Neanderthal. So that was exciting, insulting. She took it that way. The next day, I bought a book about Caveman for my daughter, she was like three, and I said, learn about your mother and her people. And my wife's like, I don't know how I feel about that. I said, you're Neanderthal. I'll be proud.
Speaker 3: Have you been to Cuba? No, No, any interests?
Speaker 4: Probably not. I don't know. I don't think i'll go.
Speaker 3: It's it's one of those places I would love if if you could get somewhere quickly, like to just be able to step through a portal and experience huh. I would love to. I would love to see all of the old cars.
Speaker 4: Sure, it's just depressing for me.
Speaker 3: But yeah, I'm sure there's a lot more baggage for you.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's a it's a It's like North Korea. It's one of the most terrible places to go and uh and to live right now.
Speaker 3: I just finished a book about North Korea.
Speaker 2: Oh.
Speaker 4: Brother, it's a nightmare.
Speaker 3: Oh it's crazy that a place like that still exists on Earth. It's a giant prison, It's a giant This is a depressing topic, but it is literally.
Speaker 4: A prison brainwashing. The people are traumatized, darving just beyond the pale, it's like, and Cuba's not far behind. It's pretty messed up there. So what am I gonna do? Go there and complaining of thrown in jail? What am I gonna do?
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's a Yeah, you go there and then you can probably couldn't help yourself.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm not gonna you know, keep my mouth shut.
Speaker 3: They feel like giant hostage situations. It's like, if only we could, I'd.
Speaker 4: Be calling you up, hello, get me out of here. You either one to tell me to go down here.
Speaker 3: One call from jail, one call from Cuba jails to me would be a big, terrible call because my phone's on Do Not Disturb so the media.
Speaker 4: You're like, I'm in I'm opening another gift from someone who I told them not to bring a gift.
Speaker 3: I need it, I need a minute fleas my god. But then it's a nice little excuse for me to come to Cuba.
Speaker 4: I don't even think we have an embassy there.
Speaker 3: Oh, probably not right. And you can't travel there directly from the US.
Speaker 4: I don't know. I think you have to go through Canada or Yeah.
Speaker 3: I feel like there's got to be kind of a backwards route. It's a lot. I mean, it's hard for me to go on vacation just to place that's easy.
Speaker 4: Now we can't even go to Canada or Mexico.
Speaker 3: Oh god, clear war started on the world. A break nightmare.
Speaker 4: I regret voting for him.
Speaker 3: I voted for him four times.
Speaker 4: Oh my god.
Speaker 3: I put in a lot of effort, and I thought that the egg prices would go down.
Speaker 4: We're going on vacation and we don't know what to do. We started joking, like should we you say we're Canadian? And I'm like, no, we don't need to, And I'm like, maybe we do.
Speaker 3: Oh absolutely, maybe we will say we're Canadian. Tell nobody except for I guess it. Uh yeah, yeah, when you're headed through the airport. But then get out of there and tell people you're from anywhere. Yeah, beautiful country to be living.
Speaker 4: I'm from California. We'll say we're from California.
Speaker 3: I mean, pretty soon that'll be enough, and I'll say we're from the country of I.
Speaker 4: Wish the Oregon, Washington, California, and New York Connecticut would, uh would make their own country.
Speaker 3: I think a lot of people do. But good luck to all of us.
Speaker 4: Good luck to all of us.
Speaker 3: I mean, it would depend on people like me fighting for us, and we'd immediately fail. Yeah, we would be It would be an immediate fail. And then we're in a North Korea situation.
Speaker 4: You know, I don't. I don't think so. I think we have way more leverage than we you think so, Yeah, But I think nice people are quiet and that's the problem. It takes them a lot to get.
Speaker 3: Riled up, and we police each other.
Speaker 4: I mean, look at Canada. Who would think Canada is beside itself? Because this maniac is just just saying as he always has. Of course, but he's more vengeful than ever.
Speaker 3: And that's why I wanted him back in office.
Speaker 4: It suits him so well.
Speaker 3: Well, is there anything left to do?
Speaker 4: Well? My question?
Speaker 3: In the shower, you're using a bar soap. I use a bar soap, never a shower gel or body wash.
Speaker 4: Not at home, we have shampoos, we have conditioner, we have bubble bath, and we have heart soaps, Heart so which is when I watch you, They're a classic. They're wonderful. Again. I love the packaging. It's almost I don't want to open them up.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's the sort of thing. You almost just want this on the bathroom counter. You could do that, show people who they're dealing with. Yeah, but then then what's the point I want to be along with one of these lasts? I mean, as far as the scent, like, is it years? Oh?
Speaker 4: If you just leave them somewhere, yeah, I don't know you can do that. I recommend just using it.
Speaker 3: I'm I'm.
Speaker 4: If there's anything wrong with being an old lady.
Speaker 3: I've been an old lady for decades at this point.
Speaker 4: You used to soap. Enjoy them, enjoy them?
Speaker 3: O god. Yeah, I have a hard time with a bar of soap in the shower.
Speaker 4: Why, what's wrong? You can't you don't know how to handle them or yeah, and I like to I can tell you this, don't bite into it. Other than that, I like to put.
Speaker 3: The stuff onto the sponge or the loofah and then use it.
Speaker 4: Are you righty or lefty?
Speaker 3: I'm alrighty.
Speaker 4: So hold the sponge in your left hand and rub the soap on the sponge. That's what you're doing to put the soap on the sponge.
Speaker 3: Interesting, what what else would you do? I kind of always associate you're just doing it, you know, just kind of bear rubbing it all of your hands and then putting out.
Speaker 4: You could do that too, either way. You could do either way.
Speaker 3: But then shooting out of your hand and then you're it's on the floor. And I mean, there's a it's a huge ordeal for me.
Speaker 4: I know that. But here's the thing things, And I don't know if cher said who said this, Chane found or a share.
Speaker 3: Let's give share the credit.
Speaker 4: If it were easy, no one would do it right, something like that. If it came in a bottle, everyone would be in shape, or something like that. In other words, worthwhile, things are not easy. Do you want to be a dance ballet?
Speaker 2: Really?
Speaker 4: Well, you gotta I tell my god, you have to put in the work.
Speaker 3: She's a ballerina.
Speaker 4: No, no, She'll take one class and then she walks around telling people I do ballet, and I'm.
Speaker 3: Like, huh, she's a fraud.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but do this. So the worst thing that can happen if it falls on the ground, then just pick it up and try again. Slip out of your hands.
Speaker 3: I'll keep that in mind the next time in the shower. If it was easy, everybody would be using soap, this kind of soap, this kind of soap especially. But then this is the other thing that it kind of extends to my entire life is once you use a nice thing, then once that's gone, every everything will feel worse.
Speaker 4: You know what I mean, You're not wrong because I have it on good authority, and by good I mean none whatsoever that ar least their own uses the soap. Kidman uses the soap. Pablo pascal Us put.
Speaker 3: Myself in the same category, uses this soap.
Speaker 4: I base that on nothing, but I'm pretty sure they do. So when you're in a shower, you're like, Hey, this is happening.
Speaker 3: This is my Charlie's moment, this is my I'm Tom Cruise, right.
Speaker 4: Now, wouldn't be surprised if your Lady Gaga.
Speaker 3: Lady Gaga's absolutely using. He may use that it's slipping out of her hand. She's chasing it around the shower.
Speaker 4: Laughs. She laughs if it slips out of her hand, and then she'll have someone pick it up for her. She has people to shower assistant.
Speaker 3: Yes, as she rings the bell, they run in there for her. I hope that that's what she's doing. She's earned it. She's put in the work, she's put in the time. Somebody should be picking up her soap.
Speaker 4: She has the talent, she drive, she has the gumption, the guts, don't be afraid to say it to fail. She says she she got her started in New York City. I have no way. I have no reason to doubt her. I don't know a lot about her early trajectory, but it sounds to me a lot like Madonna's.
Speaker 3: It's a little bit except for Madonna didn't go to NYU.
Speaker 4: No, Madonna went to school in Michigan.
Speaker 3: Michigan.
Speaker 4: Yeah, see, I thought she was from Jersey. I know she ended up. She says. I was in New York City and I had a boom box, and I would play it in places, and then eventually she was very smart and would make friends with DJ's at Studio fifty four and Limelight and they'd give her they car out five minutes and she would like play her music and dance and people are like, it's Madonna, here's Madonna. That's how. And Bette Miller started like that too. Interest I wonder if started like that too.
Speaker 3: I think there's here some There's gotta be a little bit of that.
Speaker 4: She says.
Speaker 3: She. I mean, whether she did or not, she probably should keep saying.
Speaker 4: It's a good story.
Speaker 3: Yeah, nobody wants to hear how I went to tish and then had some songwriting.
Speaker 4: Or tiktokd it in. I justicked the thing on TikTok.
Speaker 3: I mean, that's everybody from now on. That's the way.
Speaker 4: That's what they do.
Speaker 3: Yeah, get on TikTok.
Speaker 4: That's how they do it.
Speaker 3: A minute long song.
Speaker 4: They don't have to hit the pavement.
Speaker 3: You don't simply don't have to. You don't have to run errands even within your career.
Speaker 4: You don't have to go to the Madonna route, the Grace Jones route.
Speaker 3: You don't have that grit. Bette Midler, no if there are very smooth corners on these stones.
Speaker 4: Talking about Madonna, it's like Vaudeville. It's like we're talking about.
Speaker 3: Voas, a completely different era that will never happen again.
Speaker 4: They're like, what she was on the sidewalk with a boombox? Or is she homeless? Yeah?
Speaker 3: Truly No, I mean the grid would have to go down. The grid would have to go down for us to get at the next Madonna.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: But I mean, I'm sure Madonna's on TikTok now, probably hating it.
Speaker 4: I don't know if she cares that much about it to hate. I don't think she has time for that.
Speaker 3: But Madonna's one of these people that I think feels like she always still has to be doing the thing. Don't you think She's probably like, well, I guess that I'll do this one now. I think she has moments I want to be relevant.
Speaker 4: Yes, she has take vacations. She counts her money, and then she's like, wait a second, what's going on? Why am I in venice? I want to do something I feel right right, But she has enough money to kick back and give a damn about anything.
Speaker 3: For the last forty years, she's probably been able to do that.
Speaker 4: Why does she care? If she's she's got the.
Speaker 3: Drive, she's got the talent. Still, she's got the gumpy.
Speaker 4: She still has the she has all those things.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 3: I think there are diminishing returns as a pop star, but you try your hardest.
Speaker 4: Share still wants to be relevant. She came out at the Oscars dressed in that thing, the same outfit she warned, now incredible, we love Share. Incredible.
Speaker 3: She's managed not to really ever embarrass herself. She's kind of just stayed Share. No one's ever said, oh, Share has bitten the dust.
Speaker 4: Are you listening to her book? Her?
Speaker 3: No, she's got a book. Does she read it?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 3: How is it?
Speaker 4: It's good?
Speaker 3: It's good. It's a whole life spanning thing.
Speaker 4: Or is it a whole thing?
Speaker 2: Well?
Speaker 4: If this is her first book, I don't know, but it's it's uh. It has her stamp of approval.
Speaker 3: I feel like she's got nine books in her at least she wants got one for every decade.
Speaker 4: You want me to freak you out right now?
Speaker 3: I would love that.
Speaker 4: Want me to blow your mind right now?
Speaker 3: Not to scream?
Speaker 4: All right, you're gonna scream, okay. In her book she's like, oh, well, I ran away from home with my friend Melissa, and we had a room. We got a room in Hollywood and we met Sonny and Melissa and this and that Melissa is my wife's mother.
Speaker 3: Oh yes, that's a scream. Wow, yeah, you're kidding.
Speaker 4: Yeah, my wife got the book and she started listening to her and she's like, she hasn't mentioned my mother yet. I'm like all right, and then and then she's like, oh, she mentioned her. And we're both very happy because we weren't sure if that was going to happen, but she she mentioned her. Wow.
Speaker 3: Did Melissa pursue any sort of entertainment.
Speaker 4: No, she tried to be a rock star too.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 4: But it didn't pan out for her, but she tried. Wow.
Speaker 3: That is fascinating.
Speaker 4: It's crazy. It's crazy.
Speaker 3: And have she and Melissa have she and Shaer lost touch?
Speaker 4: Yeah, Melissa passed away. Okay, she made it to our wedding and then uh, and then she passed away after that and they they ran into each other once. Ursula was like a teenager or something. They were kind of cold to each other. Oh no, we don't know under what circumstances they split up or whatever, there's a lot. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Wow, to get the cold shoulder from Share? What a feeling.
Speaker 4: I think that Hi, Share, Hi, Melissa like that. Share has a lot of cold shoulders to go around. And it's just the way it is. That was the that was the time.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, you have the muscle. You're right at the top.
Speaker 4: I suppose, Oh why can't women be friends with other women who are powerful? Oh? Is Share?
Speaker 3: I can't imagine she's in Malibu right now. I wonder if she's living, why she's not in Malibu? Just you're like out in that area. It's a tough place to be right now.
Speaker 4: Why with the fires?
Speaker 3: Yeah, did those affects her at all?
Speaker 4: I don't I don't know. I don't know. That's a good question.
Speaker 3: I wonder where her second house is.
Speaker 4: I don't know. You think it's an OHI or Santa Barbara or something or or somewhere else completely.
Speaker 3: Maybe somewhere else completely. I mean, if it's within in California, I would say, oh, hi, I mean we well, obviously no, Sonny was in Palm Springs.
Speaker 4: Sonny was in Palm Springs, which is beautiful place there, Palm Springs.
Speaker 3: Maybe I can see who don't know, we're just speculating, and share is someone who has a life to speculate about. Maybe it's in this book. Maybe she mentions Melissa and her palm springs compound.
Speaker 4: Maybe you know what you know the place we like a lot, Laguna Beach, Laguna Beach. Why because it's like Santa Barbara only liberal? Oh? Interesting like that.
Speaker 3: Santa Barbara's more conservative, and so is Monacito.
Speaker 4: I love MANASICILLAO. It's very conservative, but it's beauty. It's all the could it not be? It's all it's all the money, the money, money makes things pretty.
Speaker 3: Monasita's where Oprah lives.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, she's got a huge place.
Speaker 3: Of her She's got an and the Harry and uh oh, Harry and Macon. Now she's got a TV show that Oh does she seems confusing? What is it she's doing? Like crafts at home?
Speaker 4: Oh, she's got to do something, I guess. Look at you driving into cauld the Saxon receiving gifts passive.
Speaker 3: Aggressively, Megan show. Where when do I get to make crafts on Netflix?
Speaker 4: I don't know. You said your craft place closed down?
Speaker 3: Joanne is done? Uh, maybe I could buy Joanne maybe they've I mean, nobody else wanted to buy it. I buy it launch a streaming service. My show is the first thing on there.
Speaker 4: Now you're talking and it's.
Speaker 3: The Bridger's Megan Show. All right, Jay, you know you're doing she's like putting you know, she's making little drinks.
Speaker 4: Yeah, she's making cocktails, decorating cookies. What's Bridgers? Is that a family name?
Speaker 3: Where a Bridger is an old Mormon name sort of? I mean it was the last name of a mountain man named Jim Bridger.
Speaker 4: Oh, it's the last name.
Speaker 3: Yes, and my parents, Yeah, he traveled through Utah and my parents were aware of Jim Bridger. They said, let's use the last name.
Speaker 4: That's cool. It's a cool name.
Speaker 3: Yeah, thank you. I appreciate it. It's a confusing name for a lot of people.
Speaker 4: Well, no, once you get it, you're like, it's just it's unique. Sure, he built bridges or something. He liked them a lot.
Speaker 3: It's uh. I believe it's uh. Its origins are in England for somebody who dwelled by a bridge, which doesn't bridge.
Speaker 4: That makes sense.
Speaker 3: Yeah, not a sparkling origin story, but it's fine.
Speaker 4: I worked at Disneyland for a summer or two when I first moved here, and there was a guy for he was a dancer, he was a good friend and he was in the chorus or something, and I forgot his first name, but his last name was side Bottom, Oh, side Bottom, which I thought was the coolest name. And I said, what's that about? He said, wed, My people come from the side bottom of a lake in England long time ago. Interesting. That's cool. Interesting.
Speaker 3: And you worked at Disneyland doing what.
Speaker 4: A dinner theater. Aladdin's Oasis was the so it was when the movie came out, the music and I was a comedic relief while people ate food. Incredible at the dinner theater. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Did you go in there underground tunnels?
Speaker 4: Yes? Sometimes, Yeah, that's what we changed. I think there was locker rooms down there and stuff.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's probably not as mysterious or romantic as people think.
Speaker 4: It's not. It's a fun place to work, sure, but.
Speaker 3: Then you just go underground and they're hallways.
Speaker 4: Yeah, there's hallways. Okay.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you kind of wish that they were kind of like drippy caves.
Speaker 4: That'd be awesome maybe at some point, but I don't think so.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there art direction kind of stops surface level and the rest of it's just corporation.
Speaker 4: That's right. Interesting, absolutely.
Speaker 3: I mean, if you're going to go to the trouble of putting a tunnel underneath your resort, have a little fun with it.
Speaker 4: Well, there's there are more like walkways. It's just places to get around so the public doesn't see you above, right, And it's it's not there's a couple of tunnels, but it's just backstage a lot. It's just not what you see it. They're not tunnels. It's just in the back area.
Speaker 3: The magic and behind yes, behind the.
Speaker 4: Entrance where says employees only and all that.
Speaker 3: And are there any like secret entrances into these tunnels? Do you like go like lift up a mailbox and walk underground or is it more just here?
Speaker 4: I wish no, And if there were, I know I wasn't there long enough to to discover that. That'd be cool.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I feel like that's a little thing they could do.
Speaker 4: Think there probably was, but I don't know.
Speaker 3: They've got to have some throughout the park so you can pop up in the middle as Peter Pan or whatever.
Speaker 4: I don't know if it's necessary. You could just walk through a door and you're there. You don't need to pop out of something. It's not that I know you want to believe that like I want to. We need a Peter Pan at level five. Now now, now, don't use the tunnels, use the secret mailbox, pop out of the thing.
Speaker 3: And this is the problem with Disney.
Speaker 4: What's the problem with this is there are no secret.
Speaker 3: They're not thinking as magically as I am. If I were in charge, things would be different.
Speaker 4: Well, they invested money and other things besides secret places to pop out of, such as safety, fireworks, food.
Speaker 3: I don't know, none of those things are important. Okay, they should have people dropping from trees. I would like that surfacing out of the river.
Speaker 4: I'm kind of with you. I just think it's a liabil ability, but yes, I would love people to be ding out of trees and out of the rivers. That be cool.
Speaker 3: Now, I feel like you were working at Disneyland before. You know, we've really come into a time of adults kind of dedicating their entire lives to Disney. But I imagine you were there before that sort of behavior was happening. Did you deal with any we're there ever? Like hardcore Disney people, you had to deal with when.
Speaker 4: I was working there. Yeah, no, okay, but I think I think it might have been around for a long time, but I think the Internet and people having access to posting themselves all the time has has amped.
Speaker 3: Up everything you taated and amplified.
Speaker 4: Before people just were hanging out and it was now it's.
Speaker 3: Now it's crazy enshowing their Disney Yeah, plushes at home.
Speaker 4: Now they must uh. Yeah. I worked for one of the many jobs I was promoting beanie babies or giving them away at some event or something, and that was the people there were pretty fanatical about that. Oh yeah, children would come and you know, and teenagers and stuff, and I have three hundred of them and I have this one and I'm like, it's wonderful. They thought, I don't care. Here's the promotional purple one with this, and well, you know.
Speaker 3: Well there was a period when there was a whole economy built around them. Yeah, when people thought that these were valuable and would remain valuable yep. And then the bottom dropped out, the bubble popped, as it always does, yes, and then they were left with just some bean bags. Actually, there's one right there that was given us a gas on this podcast with The Little The Thing. Yes, Joe Castle Baker brought that to me. He thought he was told that that one would be valuable, but that one's not. So it's kind of a worthless object that I hate. So but we keep it here at the studio just because you never know, you never know, you never know.
Speaker 4: These are past gifts, past gifts.
Speaker 3: I mean, this is a drop in the bucket of the amount of things I've received. These ones are just kind of pleasant to look at. We've got more gifts here, and you know, I've I have a garage at home. Just that's Iowa Debois. Do you know her? She was in the Bear. She's fantastic.
Speaker 4: Yes, that's her.
Speaker 3: As a kid.
Speaker 4: That's right, I see her face low.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's her. I believe she had to dress up as a president in elementary school and there was a photo of her and then she had somebody painted for me.
Speaker 4: Yeah. That's pretty adorable, isn't that sweet?
Speaker 3: Yeah. So occasionally you get an object that you actually are interested in having, or something that's actually used practical, Yes, to use. Those are the two things I really love to get. And then sometimes you get something that's like this takes up a lot of space and I hate it and now it's in my garage forever. Yeah, but you've you've gotten into one of the good categories here.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Well, I think we should play a game. Okay, We're gonna play a game called Gift or a Curse. But I need a number between one and ten from you.
Speaker 4: Six.
Speaker 3: Okay, I have to do a little bit of light calculating to get our game piece. Okay, so right now, you can recommend, promote, do whatever you want.
Speaker 4: I'll be right back. Okay, there's a show coming out on NBC, Peacock. It is not a reboot of the Office, but I will be in a show. I don't know the details. I told them put it on Broadway. Let's go straight to Broadway. They said, no, TV show, TV show. I'm like, all right, do the TV show. And now it's trickling out because the cat's out of the bag. Some reporter got a scoop on it and spill the beans. So it's out there. It's it's going to be good again. I pushed for black and white. They said, no, it's going to be in color. So they're not listening to me on any of these suggestions. But I think you will, you will, you'll like it out there. I suggest you watch ten episodes and then decide whether you like it or not, and maybe go back and watch it just one more time to make sure. And that's that's it.
Speaker 3: That's very exciting. I feel like people are really looking forward to that though.
Speaker 4: I think so.
Speaker 3: But it's not called The Office.
Speaker 4: No, my character is in the show.
Speaker 3: Right, yeah, but within the Office universe.
Speaker 4: Well, yes, yes, because I on the show, correct, but it's not that character that Steve Carell played, Michael Scott. He's not in it.
Speaker 3: So that's very exciting. I feel like people are especially excited about you being in it.
Speaker 4: I thank you. I hope.
Speaker 3: So we'll find out.
Speaker 4: We'll find out.
Speaker 3: Only time will tell listener. The thing I have to recommend, obviously is the Patreon. I think I talked about it at the beginning of the podcast, but God only knows, Oscar. This is how we play Gift or a Curse. I'm gonna name three things. You're going to tell me if there are a gift or a curse and why, and then I'll tell you if you're a right or wrong because there are correct answers. Okay, you can fail the game. Okay, be very careful.
Speaker 4: Three. And this is for charity.
Speaker 3: This is for charity. We've helped so many wonderful causes and hopefully we'll help some more today. Think of the orphans. Okay, number one. This is from a Patreon listener named Courtney. Gift or a Curse. The Hudson News retail.
Speaker 4: The Hudson News retail.
Speaker 3: Are you familiar with this?
Speaker 4: I'm thinking it's a paper.
Speaker 3: It's the uh those little stores in airports, Hudson News.
Speaker 4: Oh yes, I think it's a it's a it's a gift.
Speaker 3: Why.
Speaker 4: It's a lot of people are traveling and they don't have a gift to where they're going or where they're coming from. And it's the last kind of minute stuff that lets you say, hey, at least I thought about you. Don't get mad. Here's some bubblegum, here's a magazine. Here's a sweatshirt, you know, here's a hat, here's a sports apparel. Right, because I thought of you, So you can get mad, but not too mad, because I did have time to stop at the Hudson place.
Speaker 3: You're correct. I love the Hudson News. I love being there at the airport. It's my rarely do you get a little bit of time to just browse magazines anymore.
Speaker 4: I don't mind. And now they have a thing where you don't have to deal with the the person there. You can check out. Have you seen it?
Speaker 3: No, it's a self checkout, self checkout.
Speaker 4: And the last time I was there, they had me restocking, which I did not expect. They had you restart, re stop the books and magazines. I did not expect that. They said you get to check out, but here take this box. And I'm like, what is happening. So they're doing away with their help and they're, oh, you're kids. They're putting it on the part to hear, well, this is what's happening.
Speaker 3: This is the twenty first century. I know. I love a Hudson News. I love to look at People Magazine, all of the tabloids. It is a little depressing to see print publishing kind of dwindling. You're seeing it.
Speaker 4: I get the Architectural Digest, that's my.
Speaker 3: Oh that's a good one. Look at all the beautiful homes, that's right. And you get to look at the hot best sellers. Yeah, not generally the sort of books that I'm reading. But it's like this is what we're reading as a society, and some of them are good, and there's usually like at least one self help book you might browse at the airport to hopefully correct your behavior. Yeah, and then I'm always wondering, maybe what would happen if I shoplifted.
Speaker 4: Here at the Hudson News Daily.
Speaker 3: Yeah, like, what do they do? Are you arrested? What if you get onto the plane and you fly off before they found you? That feels like the perfect crime.
Speaker 4: I'm it's an interesting quarie. Why don't you find out?
Speaker 3: I mean, the temptation is there.
Speaker 4: You're full and I know, I know it's part of your job, but you're cautious, You're full of fear, and you have bad ideas that border I'm breaking the law. And I don't know whether to encourage you to do that or'll pull you back and say, get a grip, man.
Speaker 3: I feel like airport security has bigger fish to fry than me stealing a granola bar.
Speaker 4: Well, first of all, you're obsessed with with this thing, and so.
Speaker 3: It dominates my thoughts.
Speaker 4: Well, find out, go ahead and see us ee, and when they arrest you say, it's an experiment. It's an underperiment. It's a joke, it's a job. This is what I do.
Speaker 3: I was kidding, let me go on my vacation.
Speaker 4: Let me go on my vacation. I didn't mean it.
Speaker 3: God, you take everything so seriously. Around here do that?
Speaker 4: Take that angle at the airport, at the airport, of all places, of all places.
Speaker 3: Okay, Well you got one right, so far, so very good, very nicely played. Number two. This is from a listener named Emily Gift her a curse parents introducing their newborn baby with a nickname already.
Speaker 4: Oh, I think that's a curse. Although I kind of think we did it, oh, because yes, we have August and we called her Augie. We didn't introduce her as Augie, but I think we might have said August or you could call her. And when she was three, she's like, I'm not Augie, I'm August, and we're like, oh, that didn't last as long as we wanted it to last. We still call her Augi sometimes, but she's August.
Speaker 3: Okay, So I think you can't win.
Speaker 4: It's going to happen organically. If your kid is going to have a nickname, it'll be placed upon them by their peers. Don't get bent out of shape about it. It's all good. It'll it'll probably go away or stick with them. It's just part of life. There's worse things, and then getting a nick name.
Speaker 3: You're getting a nickname.
Speaker 4: Yeah, there was nicknames in my neighborhood and uh, and they were all pretty cool and and it was fellas, so they didn't mind the rough feelings. They didn't care.
Speaker 3: Did you have any nicknames? No, I was Oscar Oscar yours is It just is a nice snappy name, so you don't really have to take any shortcuts with that.
Speaker 4: But we had Peppy, we had Speedy, we had Pineapple.
Speaker 3: Those are great.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we had fat Robert, which my wife and daughter are like, how could you call him back? And we're like, I'm like, he didn't mind it. They're like he minded. I'm like, I don't think he did. He was fine with it because there were several Roberts, Mike the hippie because there was like three mics.
Speaker 3: Okay, so interesting. But you're saying curse here, gift, curse, I.
Speaker 4: Think curse, I think curse. I know it's hard not to because you want to write, but try not to.
Speaker 3: Right, you're wrong Okay, I love it. Cut to the chase. We know we're gonna have a nickname at some point. Give me the nickname. I don't need the whole thing, the whole ordeal. I mean, maybe you should have just named them that instead of if you hate the original name so much that you're not even going to use it. But I think it's a gift ultimately, so I don't even have to think about the nickname. I just get to be lazy and do the nickname. Do the nickname. And I always love to find out somebody's real name later. You know, when somebody goes by their middle name their whole life, and you find out that.
Speaker 4: It's a surprise. For it's a shock.
Speaker 3: Okay, well, I never thought that you were.
Speaker 4: That Elizabeth right from your nickname, so it's a surprise. It's a surprised.
Speaker 3: It's the nicest things, all right, I see that, I get that.
Speaker 4: Part, all right.
Speaker 3: You've gotten one out of two so far, and this is the final one. This is from a listener named Brian Gift or a curse several sequential emails from the same person, each with a different topic.
Speaker 4: I'm just I'm gonna go with Gift. This could go either way. The first thing that struck me was it's going to be good news, and I know you're going to go the other way because I know you, Oh dooming blue.
Speaker 3: The first thing about.
Speaker 4: Me, Yeah, everything, Your whole take is oh no, oh no, the airport, oh no, the rain, oh no, the traffic. I'm going the other way, bridge or if that's your real name, because it's Elizabeth, I'm assuming there you go. I'm assuming it's all good news. Hey, Spielberg called you better get back to me. Hey, it's your agent, call me back to Spielberg. No, you know, stuff like that. I'm like, oh exciting, let me get back to it. As opposed to what you're gonna say, which is gift. Oh nice, it's an oscar. Of course, it's a gift than I love. You get to watch somebody's breakdown in real time. You're watching your friend or coworker or manager have an absolute meltdown. See why is it a not why is it not celebratory?
Speaker 3: Well, it could be a so excited they're having a meltdown. Okay, that's that's a nice compromise. Okay, that's a niceten such good news that their brain has had broken, breaking down, they can no longer function, and they've now sent you fourteen emails. Okay, what a celebrate, What a celebration?
Speaker 4: Fireworks?
Speaker 3: Okay, you got two out of three.
Speaker 4: Crack open a new bar of soap.
Speaker 3: I'll take a bite out of this right now. Yay, Okay, this is uh. We have one more of these because on a lease, our producer has their own gift a curse. They're gonna name one, and then we each have to speak to it, and then they'll tell us if we're right or wrong.
Speaker 4: Okay, I'll be contrary. We'll take different sides.
Speaker 3: Yes, well yeah, we'll see what happens on at least.
Speaker 5: What is it gift or a curse? April Fool's jokes?
Speaker 3: Do you want to go or should I go?
Speaker 4: Okay, I'll go firstince I'm the guests April Fool's Jokes. I'm just gonna say a gift because I know you You're probably right it's a curse, and I I'll let you take the curse. I'm just gonna look at it as a gift because it brings to light and it exposes the type of people that are playing these jokes on you. And then you can better judge. Do I want to remain in a relationship with this person who put a you know, a live straight dogging my car as an April Fool's joke.
Speaker 3: Now I'm on my way at the hospital.
Speaker 4: Bab GUCCIONI that was not funny. They have a debauchery, no I, and so I think it drags everyone into the light, and therefore it is a good thing.
Speaker 3: Curse, Absolutely a curse. I I mean, I think prank culture in general should be shut down by the government.
Speaker 4: I agree.
Speaker 3: I do not like a prank. As far as a prank goes. Maybe if you move something slightly in my home and that's it. Oh look the vase is three inches further away than it was. That's that's a decent prank. Nobody gets hurt, nobody gets surprised something was a little off, and we all get to smile and move on. I also think that all April Fools is a horrible day to be on the internet. You can't it's even less trustworthy than usual. Everybody's trying to be funny and crazy. It's an irritating thing to do.
Speaker 4: Yeah, there's no good day to be on the internet.
Speaker 3: But yeah, okay, yeah, I don't want to be pranked. Save back for candid camera.
Speaker 4: I will say this. We are painting with broad strokes here because some practical jokes. Did you hear the one that you know? The one Clooney played on Richard Kind?
Speaker 3: What's this?
Speaker 4: George Clooney and Richard kind were roommates. This is before that hospital show he was on or whatever, right, George clot was a pit.
Speaker 3: No, no, no, they're getting sued because they're too much like Er.
Speaker 4: Excuse me, maybe they're getting sued for that.
Speaker 3: That's someone was telling me last night that the pit is too similar to Er, which I think. There are so many hospitals.
Speaker 4: Can we go a day without litigation? No, apparently not.
Speaker 3: I love a lawsuit.
Speaker 4: So Richard kind of and Clooney are roommates.
Speaker 3: Yes, dear friends for years.
Speaker 4: Really good friends, their roommates. And Richard kind he he adopted a little kitten, a little black kitten or something, and he had a job, and George is just home auditioning but mostly home. And George Clooney got into his head to start cleaning the litter box, so Richard Kain would come home expecting to clean.
Speaker 3: Oh interesting, to clean the and it was always empty.
Speaker 4: And he's like, George, have you noticed there's Noah And he's like, no, I haven't noticed, Like I think Katie's constipated. He hasn't, you know, pooped in days now, days now, And he's I'm sure he's all right. George clean and Richard Kind. It's like the third or fourth day, I don't know, and George Clooney takes up dump, oh my god, man sized oh dump in the litter box and he's in the living room eating popcorn, watching TV like an idiot. And Richard Kind comes home and he walks into the bathroom and he goes, oh, Katy. George is like, what happened. He's like, look, he must have it must have been. George like, oh my god, is he okay? He's like, I don't know. I've got to clean it, but I don't know. And I don't know if he told him or not. It's all crazy ship that's a good oh. He also he also at the time on This Man's Hands, he also did this one. He would go out and buy a stupid painting at a at a garage sale, like one of those stupid paintings, and he would bring it home and he would buy like like a paint set and be working on it. And Richard kind of would come home go, oh my god, I dabble and he's like, oh, you're good. He's like, oh am I and he he would and he would go to the art supply store with Richard Kine and shop like he's a painter.
Speaker 3: Richard k like, well, torturing this man.
Speaker 4: Just for no reason, just for no reason, isn't that wonderful?
Speaker 3: I could not be friends with George Klooney, George, I know you want to be friends. Stop calling.
Speaker 4: Oh but those those are harmless.
Speaker 3: That's not for me.
Speaker 4: That's absolutely harmless.
Speaker 3: I would run this man over.
Speaker 4: It's all in good fun. He didn't hurt him anyway.
Speaker 3: Wow, psychopath. Yeah, curse, but Oscar saying gift on at least, what's the answer.
Speaker 5: They're a curse. Come on, there's no other answer. It's about, like you said, Bridger, it's the culture of pranks. It is just emotional manipulation, and it's always around. Sure, I'm sure there's like some exceptions that prove the rule, but at the end of the day, it's either you're giving somebody false hope or you're giving somebody false terror and either way it's awful.
Speaker 3: Curse, get a life, Get a life. And this is coming out right after April Fool's Day.
Speaker 4: To hear someone going, oh katy because they think that a little dumped his own weight.
Speaker 3: I mean, come on, well, I mean Richard Kine's saying anything is wonderfulse I don't know.
Speaker 4: Well.
Speaker 3: This is the final segment of the podcast. People write into I said no gifts at gmail dot com begging for answers. Can't you help me answer a question?
Speaker 4: Yes? Okay?
Speaker 3: This is Deerbridge or and guest. Our daughter, thirteen, has been best friends with the set of twins since nursery school. The twins' parents have been wonderfully kind and are always sure to include our daughter in play dates, parties, sleepover strips, to them all, etc.
Speaker 4: We get it.
Speaker 3: They never hesitate to include her as one of their own. Since my husband and I own a business, we don't have as much free time available to reciprocating kind. What is a thoughtful gift for the twins' parents for being so generous with our daughter. The parents are in their early forties, enjoy dining out, shopping, outdoor activities such as hunting and four wheeling and have several pets. I promise to never write back thank you, and that's from m find.
Speaker 4: Out what their favorite restaurant is, buy them a gift certificate, and maybe sit to twins while they go out and have dinner and adah.
Speaker 3: Interesting. Interesting, that's not the worst idea in the world. I feel like, I mean, these people are kind of angling to take over the daughter's life. Feels like the parents are so busy at work, they're working, working, working, and these people are buttering up the child, spoiling her. I feel like they're trying to turn the daughter against the parents.
Speaker 4: To what end.
Speaker 3: To ask them they want to take her hunting?
Speaker 4: What do you mean they want to take her hunting?
Speaker 3: They love hunting and four wheeling.
Speaker 4: Never said that, they said we're taking your child. They love hunting it They're not taking the child hunting.
Speaker 3: They're never going to say it, Oscar until the daughter's holding a rifle and dressing all or no wonder.
Speaker 4: You have no friends? What is going on with you? I hope and pray that this is part of your persona to rile things up. When these people are just trying to take this girl and have a good time with her.
Speaker 3: Well, I hope this is your absolute naive. I mean, you must be taken advantage of all the time. How so your daughter's probably out hunting right now.
Speaker 4: Well, okay, she happens to be, but that has nothing to do. She's hunting for bear with a bow and arrow, and we think it's safe and wonderful. They're up in a mammoth. Now, oh, listen, we have an only child, and so she goes and has sleep Oh, which was a big deal for us to let her go have a sleepover, but now it's I mean, she's twelve, she's almost thirteen. She has sleepover with friends and they stay with us and stuff, and so, yeah, you need and I think it's their only child, right.
Speaker 3: From what I guess, seems like the only kid.
Speaker 4: So she needs to have little friends because she's for herself.
Speaker 3: Yes, and the parents are probably horrible. Whose parents her parents?
Speaker 4: Oh that goes without saying.
Speaker 3: Yes, they're writing into a podcast from the.
Speaker 4: Book of Bridger. Oh my god. Yeah, So I say it's a yeah, get to dinner. It's a no brainer. You and babysit the twins and give the other folks a day off.
Speaker 3: Fine, right, sure, if that's what you want to do, what do you want to do? I want them to keep an eye on this family.
Speaker 4: That has nothing to do with showing them a good time. They want to show them a good time. They want to That's how.
Speaker 3: You show people as your number potentially move out of state. These people are coming for your daughter because they've they have twins and they can't get enough. They want to trip. They're addicted to children.
Speaker 4: Well, be on the lookout if they dye your kid's hair the same color as the twins. I guess yes.
Speaker 3: Okay, Well, I think that they've got two answers. Two answers they can look at their situation. They have probably a few more details and decide how they want to live the rest of their lives with or without their daughter.
Speaker 4: We wish them the best.
Speaker 3: I don't don't write back in she already promised, but we've just got to make sure, Oscar we answered the question perfectly. I now have these lovely bars of soap. It was such a confirm I mean, it was nice to actually be able to use my sense of smell after feeling so insecure about it just moments before. And now I'll be able to take these home when people will think Bridger's got taste.
Speaker 4: It would be so rude to take them back at this point, wouldn't it. Look at them there, they're just gonna be. You're gonna wasted on you. You'll open there, You'll be bumbling and bumbling. It will be falling on the floor. You'll be screaming and smashing into the freaking shower head and all.
Speaker 3: That, and then here comes my shower assistant.
Speaker 4: You'll be you'll get injured trying to use the bars of soap.
Speaker 3: Well, then, lawsuit. I mean, I've got all kinds of things happening. Great, Yes you can, You'll be served soon.
Speaker 4: I should have you sign a waiver for you.
Speaker 3: I used to sign any waiver for anything. Ever, I will not be caught in a lawsuit unless it's me starting it. Yeah, Oscar, thank you for being here.
Speaker 4: Oh my pleasure.
Speaker 3: I've had a wonderful time. How long was this four hours? And I felt every second of it.
Speaker 4: I see you have a stopwatch up there, one one that's wonderful.
Speaker 3: We could just kind of watch that gop for a little while.
Speaker 4: Let it go so predictable.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the listener loves to I know that they just love to hear the podcast as the host and guest watch a timer go yeah, it's lost a certain suspense. It's thank you for being here, my pleasure listener. The podcast, if you haven't guessed, is over, figure something out. I love you, goodbye. I said, No Gifts is an exactly right production. Our senior producer is on Alisa Nelson, and our episodes are beautifully mixed by Ben Holliday. The theme song is by miracle Worker Amy Mann, and we couldn't do it without our booker, Patrick Cottner. You must follow the show on Instagram at I said No Gifts, that's where you're going to see pictures of all these wonderful gifts I'm getting. And don't you want to see the gifts invant?
Speaker 1: Did you hear? Fun a man? Myself perfectly clear? But you're a guest to you gotta come to me empty And I said, no guests. Presence is person's enough.
Speaker 2: I already had too much stuff, So how do
Speaker 1: You dare to surbey me