Speaker 1: Welcome back to another edition of Is This a Great Game? Or one a little bit of a special edition because we're changing it up a bit this week.
Speaker 2: Dad. You're in Bristol, Connecticut.
Speaker 1: You are in between about seven different shows right now.
Speaker 2: You are on the set.
Speaker 1: Of Baseball Tonight that just finished, and then you're gonna run and do the Baseball Tonight podcast with Buster Only.
Speaker 2: You got Sports Center.
Speaker 1: You've got a million things going on, but thanks for taking some time for your son and our podcast.
Speaker 3: Right So, Jeff, it's gonna be a slightly different podcast today than any other ones we do. We're not gonna have three Cards in the Bathroom or the Wheel of Kirkchin because we had forty two trades in one day. So we're not breaking news on this show, but we have to at least explain what happened on a crazy Monday August I. It was out of control and it was absolutely breathtaking to trades.
Speaker 2: Dad, that is absolutely incredible.
Speaker 1: And I know you've been hard at work, and you're right, this is going to be a different show. The benefit of doing three shows a week is we change things up from time to time. We're not your hot take breaking news, but we are baseball podcasting, Dad, quickly tell.
Speaker 2: The people what I'm wearing on my head? Do you know what this means?
Speaker 3: A great game or one hat? I love it? Jeff and they or that, Oh is a baseball right exactly? Did his sister do that?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah, this is a Kelly Kirchen special Dad, and wanted to see. I don't know members of the family who watch on YouTube. If you're not, I'll post a picture on our social media as well. Maybe thinking about selling these at our great event we have on August twenty second in Pottstown, Pennsylvania to benefit a dad with als so young Dad Michael Brown more details.
Speaker 2: I put it all on the description.
Speaker 1: Want to make sure we hit that every week so people know about this great event coming up on the twenty second. Because Dad, we're diving head first, trade deadline forty two trades.
Speaker 2: Hit me with it.
Speaker 1: I know where you gotta start, Scooble of course, right.
Speaker 3: Well, we're going to get to Schooble at the end because he got traded on Saturday, not on Monday. We're gonna start with hopefully something mildly music buster only. I did the show with him and Jeff Passen and Eduardo Perezent Kevin Cotter. We were on all day. But Buster got a text from a general manager and he thought Buster Olney was Buster posey, so he kind of got it. He kind of got a trade offer, said to the wrong Buster. Yes, soon after the text said sorry, send it to the wrong Buster. But this is what happens on trade deadline day. Anything is possible. And Jeff, So the takeaway from Monday for me was the Red Sox. As we know, Jeff, they were thirty two and forty six, hopelessly out of maybe the higher playoff raise, and then they went on to win twenty eight out of thirty three at this taping. So the Red Sox are going for it and I just love it now. They gave up an enormous amount, but they got Adlie Rutchman from the Orioles. Adlee Rutchman was the overall number one pick in twenty nineteen. It's made a couple of All Star teams, including the All Star Team this year. The Red Sox needed a hit her and they got a twenty eight year old switch hitter to be their primary catcher. Once of course he gets healthy. Keep in mind that the Red Sox have had four homers from their catchers all year, so not only do they add offense, they added it to a position that needed offense. And I thought it was an exceptionally aggressive move by the Red Sox, them saying, Hey, we gave up a lot to get this guy, but we're going for it. Fenway is alive right now, Jeff, and they are feeding that agreed. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I mean, it's been such an exciting time for Boston Red Sox fans this second half of the season, and of course with the streak heading in to the All Star Break has been just magical for Fenway Park.
Speaker 2: It's a live again.
Speaker 1: As you mentioned on Baseball Tonight earlier today, Dad, I just want to give a word out to our Orioles fans, including my dear friend Joey Feierstein. He sent a text message to our Ball is Life group text, which is our Fantasy football group, Dad, where he says, and this is to eleven other guys myself included. HEYJF longtime listener of the pod, first time caller. He's sending a message to the pod via our group.
Speaker 2: Text, and I mean he's bummed, you know.
Speaker 1: He's saying, a general manager who says, this is going to be the franchise player.
Speaker 2: The face of our team is no longer on the team.
Speaker 1: Dad, give us a little bit of thoughts when it comes to maybe players who are in fans we were on the other side of.
Speaker 2: The trade deadline, like Joey, who.
Speaker 1: Is devastated, might not even begin to serve how he's actually feeling right now.
Speaker 3: All right, I'm confused also, Jeff, Look, the Orioles have not had a good year, they haven't had a good two years, but they're still two and a half games at the day of the trade deadline out of a wild card spy. Granted they had three or four teams in front of them, but I'm not sure I understand this. I repeat, they got a ton in return for Adlie Rutchman, but they also traded Taylor Ward. They traded him to Seattle, so they got people back. But it's almost like they gave up on the Pennant race today, and that's a really hard thing for any fan to take. So that Red Sock Oriole trade threw me for a loop today and many others that it actually got worked out, and Red Sox fans for the most part, are very happy and oriole fans, for the most part, are not.
Speaker 1: Yeah, in debt, I think it always stings more whatever division we're talking about, when it goes to somebody in your division, right, it just stings.
Speaker 2: A little bit more. Even within the same league, it can.
Speaker 1: Hurt because of how tight all of these wildcard races are, especially in the American League, Like you're fighting against all the divisions. But when you trade within your division, oh drive, some people print, so we're thinking about you right now.
Speaker 3: That makes it even more difficult to deal with. But Jeff, we've been over this all year. The American League is a winnable league right now, and the Red Sox are saying we're not just going to make the playoffs. We're going to be dangerous in October with the moves that we made. So we'll see if they work out. No guarantees of anything, but I really like the aggressiveness today of the Red Sox and of the Cubs. The Cubs are one of those teams that has a chance at least to run down the Dodgers, who are not good but great right now. And we'll get to that later in the podcast, but the Cub's got Kevin Gossman and Clay Holmes in deals, and they were desperate for pitching. We know they can hit. They have two ten game winning streaks, and most important, Jeff, they are a really good defensive team, especially in the infield. And both Gosman and Clay Holmes put the ball in the grass. And that's all any pitcher wants to know is if I throw a ground ball, here are we going to catch it? Maybe turn two? So I really liked what the Cubs did, and I also really liked what the Rays did again also in the American League East, they got Freddie Peralta, who's change up just hasn't been very good this year compared to last year. But he's a veteran pitcher, he's an innings eater. They added him. They added Tyler Wells, a pitcher from the Orioles. And they got Liam Hicks who's had a really good year for the Marlins and he's going to be mostly their catcher this year. Their catchers have six homers all season, and now they add a really good hitter. What do you think about those teams? Jeff? Really being active?
Speaker 2: You know, it was really funny.
Speaker 1: Buster Only was on Baseball Tonight earlier and I saw him, you know, kind of really mess with the AL because we're so exhausted. When it comes to the American League, nobody is the clear winner. People say the rais is the best, are the best team in the American League. That's what Jeff Passen had, but you know he bumped up the Mariners all the way up to the front and the Guardians as well. I think the Rays, Dad, are just I don't even want to say flying under the radar. They're first in the AL East. That's not flying under the radar. But they're much better than anybody is giving them credit. And nothing against the Red Sox. They are by far the hottest team in baseball right now, but when you've done it already over one hundred plus.
Speaker 2: Games, that has to be spoken to, even in a soft AL East. In twenty twenty six, I think the Rays did everything they needed to do right.
Speaker 3: The Rays went into the Monday Drip trade deadline with the best team in the American League and they left even better with the moves that they made.
Speaker 4: Today's episode is sponsored by the ASPCA Pet Health Insurance program. Kratz.
Speaker 5: We love our pups, we do, and I can't put bella in a bubble. So you know what I'll do. I'll do the next best thing for her.
Speaker 4: That's right. The ASPCA Pet Health Insurance Program offers customizable accident and illness plans that can fit your budget, your lifestyle, and even your pets particular quirks. ASPCA Pet Health Insurance has been around for almost thirty years and has covered over one million pets. And when it's time to submit a claim, it's easy. Just use their app and receive reimbursement for eligible VET bills directly into your bank account, so you can get back to focusing on what really matters, and that's your pet. To explore coverage, visit ASPCA Pet Insurance dot com slash foul. That's ASPCA Pet Insurance dot com. Slash foul again one more time. ASPCA Pet Insurance dot Com slash foul. This is a paid advertisement. Insurance is underwritten by either Independence American Insurance Company or It States Fire Insurance Company and produced by PTZ Insurance Agency Limited. The ASPCA is not an insured and is not engaged in the business of insurance.
Speaker 3: Other teams Jeff that I really thought did a good job. The Podreys and remember Jeff the Podreys were considering trading Mason Miller, who's just been dominant, the most dominant reliever that we've seen in a long time. And instead of trading him, of course, they kept him. They kept the rest of that tremendous bullpen, and they added Robbie Ray and Casey Mice. So the Podreys, who won eight of their last nine heading into Monday, are back in the race, and they're they're looking at themselves and say, we're good enough to make a run with the Dodgers. Maybe not for the division title that's too late, but in the playoffs potentially. So I really like what they did, and I really like what the Guardians did too. The Guardians are trying to win a very competitive Al Central. They went out and got Foster Griffin from the Nationals, They went and got Nathaniel Lowe from the Reds, and they went and got Joe Adele from the Angels. Remember the ops of the left fielders for the Indian for the Guardians this year is six twenty six. That is the worst ops of all left fielders in Major League Baseball. They address that with at least another outfielder that can hit. Joe Adele. So I really like what they did. Really aggressive teams out there, and Jeff, I think it's important to recognize that since we don't know what's going to happen next year, with you know, an impending workstoppage, you don't even know what twenty twenty seven is going to look like. So it seemed to me a lot of teams said, well, if we don't know what twenty twenty seven is going to look like, we have to go for it this year. And a lot of teams did that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and it's a lot easier Dad to you know, support the buyer instead of the sellers. Because everybody keeps bringing up twenty twenty seven, why not go out and get Schooble, Why not go out and get Mason Miller.
Speaker 2: Why not go out and just throw all.
Speaker 1: Of your dollars and cents in your prospects because next year could be I don't want to say it, but we could not have baseball at least for part of the season, and that's scary. But why not push all your chips in now? And so any team that went out and bought that, I love what the Guardians did. Again, the al central to me is just this toss up kind of nutso place to be and I love seeing the Guardians be aggressive.
Speaker 2: I'm a little bit biased.
Speaker 1: My time spent in Cleveland made me fall in love with that organization. I am a bleeding heart baseball fan, and I feel for any group of fans like Cleveland fans who haven't had a championship.
Speaker 2: And way way, way too long, So it's easy.
Speaker 1: To root for fans like that and for good teams like the Guardians.
Speaker 3: Totally agree, job completely. Now let's get finally when we have two to go. Your hometown team, the Phillies, your adopted team went and Luis a rise to play second base, and he's gonna win another batting title this year. It's going to be his fourth with four different teams. He and Dan Brothers are the only two ever to do that if he of course does it. But Jeff, it's going to require it's possible. It's going to require Bryson Stott moving from second base to third base, Alec bow moving from third base to first base, and Bryce Harper moving from first base to right field. Now, Jeff, I'm all for getting another bat in the lineup, because you know, the Phillies had to get another hitter. Preferably it would have been a right handed hitting outfielder. Instead they got a left handed hitting infielder. But and Harper returning to the outfield, I'm not positive about that. But also keep in mind, Jeff, the ops of the right fielders for the Phillies this year has been six thirty two with twenty nine walks at one hundred and forty two strikeouts. It's just been unacceptable. Bryce Harper will change that. But Jeff, my question for you, the Phillies fan, is they're changing like four positions on potentially on August to fourth. A lot of moving parts, a lot of adjustments have to be made during a season. You're okay with that?
Speaker 2: I don't know if you're okay with that. You're the least flexible man.
Speaker 1: I know if plans change in a moment's notice, you're upset. But Dad, I saw those defensive plans. I've always been a Luisa Rise fan.
Speaker 2: You know that.
Speaker 1: I've said it on the podcast a number of times. Reminds me of the Tony Gwynn era, right like get on base, limited amounts of strikeouts. I love a high batting average. Who doesn't, But the moves, Dad, are substantiated. Bryce Harper brought his outfielders glove to an away series because he needed to start taking reps, and he even went on the record saying I would do anything for this organization.
Speaker 3: Just today.
Speaker 2: He said that.
Speaker 1: So, I mean, listen, that's what you need to do to win. Everyone is saying in the clubhouse and everyone's saying on the internet. The Phillies need to fill their right feel. Their position is the leader of the team. Bryce Harper not thinking to him yourself, well, I could be the best hitter on this team and I could fill that position today and they could go get somebody else.
Speaker 2: It makes it.
Speaker 1: It gives me NBA vibes, does it not, dad like adjusting your role on a team if you're the superstar knowing, Okay, I'm not taking the ball up in the court anymore because we're getting Russell Westbrook six years ago. I need to let him take it up and I need to play the traditional three.
Speaker 2: Whatever it is.
Speaker 1: What I'm saying is it sounds a little untraditional in baseball, but everybody's willing to move on that Phillies team because the reality is anybody who knows really since twenty twenty two, the team has stayed relatively the same, and they're at the point where if they don't win, it's a fire sale.
Speaker 2: They're getting older, this is the time.
Speaker 1: So if it means Bryce and Stott mixing it up, Alec bow same thing, then that's what has to be done. And I think it will be done, and will it pay off, We'll see, But I love Luisa Ryes. I hope he leads off for the Phillies. They could use that high batting average in the top spot of the lineup right right.
Speaker 3: Fascinating day for the Phillies. All Right, we'll finish Jeff with the Dodgers, since their big deal came on Saturday night, Jeff, and again, the rich obviously get richer here. They got Trek scouble for three young players and they still didn't give up like the absolute charms of their farm system. So I thought this was a great trade for the Dodgers. But this is how the Dodgers operate, Jeff. Whenever they have any sort of roster issue, they just are in a position to go corrected immediately, and that's what they did here. And just as important, they kept Trek Scooble away from any of their contenders. I mean, imagine if Terek Scubel and ended up with the Cubs. What if he had ended up with the Brewers and gone next to Jacob Mizerowski and Trek Scugle won two going up against the Dodgers. The Dodgers wanted no part of that. So now the Dodgers have, Jeff I count seven, if not more, way above average major league starting pitchers, led by Scooble and Blake Snell and Yamamoto. And we haven't even gotten to Otani or Robleski or Tyler Glass now or Roki Sazaki. I mean, their rotation is ridiculously deep, of course, when everybody is healthy. So on Baseball tonight. The other day we had a little chart up on the air and it had the five best eras by pitchers since the twenty twenty three season, so the last three years, and four of the five were Dodgers. Four of the five best eras in the last three years are on the Dodgers right now. That's how good they are. So Jeff, I'm going to ask you good for baseball, bad for baseball? Any thoughts on what the Dodgers did and what it means.
Speaker 1: Dad, We're not We're not that show. But I just have to say, I don't think it's good for the game. I don't think it's good for the game when the best team, clearly or at least the best roster, let's put it that way, is able to just go get the best player out there, right. And I don't want to say Trek Scoble's ring chasing or whatever, because you know those decisions are made at the general manager level.
Speaker 2: But at some.
Speaker 1: Point these teams need to look at themselves and say, do we want that team to.
Speaker 2: Be that good?
Speaker 1: Because obviously the Tigers are saying we're out, we're done, and we don't care what happens in October, But they need to ask themselves, Okay.
Speaker 2: Who do we want to win it all?
Speaker 1: Because clearly, clearly this is going to shift pitching wins in October.
Speaker 2: Dad, Do I think this is good for baseball? No?
Speaker 1: Do I think that this will change what twenty twenty seven looks like.
Speaker 2: Yes, from a labor negotiation.
Speaker 1: Standpoint, because the rich get richer, Dad, it does worry me. I'm not a hot, taky guy, but I was unhappy and put my Phillies fandom aside. Okay, I'm completely objective in this matter. I think there are twenty nine fan bases who are really upset versus if he went to the Brewers or the Cubs per se.
Speaker 2: I think there's like fifteen that are really upset.
Speaker 1: So I'm not saying everybody's happy when he goes if he goes to the Brewers, but I am saying at one point we have to ask, okay, this is is this good for baseball or not?
Speaker 4: And I say no, it's the summertime, aj and this is a time to feel free, wild make some phone calls that you're overdue for, and also get some deals that you should be getting that you deserve.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it couldn't be any easier though. It's just one price for unlimited talk, text and data. It's really simple. It is one price for all the data and all the phone calls you could want per month. It's simple, that's right.
Speaker 4: All of Mintmobiles plans are fifteen bucks a month with the summer sale, even unlimited. To get your new wireless plan for just fifteen bucks a month, go to mintmobile dot com slash territory. That's mintmobile dot com slash territory to cut your wireless bill to fifteen dollars a month. That's it. There's no catch up front payment of forty five dollars for three months, ninety dollars for six months, or one hundred eighty dollars for twelve months. Plan required fifteen bucks per month equivalent taxes and fees extra initial plan term only greater than fifty gigabytes may slow when network is busy. Includes up to twenty gigabytes hotspot capable device required, availability, speed and coverage varries see mintmobile dot com.
Speaker 3: Jeff, you are in the vast majority on this all I will say. Look, I agree it is unhealthy for baseball that some teams have a payroll like the Dodgers or the Mets or the Yankees, and others are four one hundred million dollar difference. I mean that is not healthy for baseball. But to blame the Dodgers for this is I think unfair because I will tell you, Jeff, from covering baseball for forty five years, they are the best run organization in the game. Now. Granted, they have resources and money that other teams don't, and yes they can afford when they make a mistake, they can make up for it with everything else they have. But they run their organization beautifully. They draft and develop better than almost any team, and when a player goes to the Dodgers, he almost always gets better. So keep all of that in mind before you blame the Dodgers for all this. You know, let's blame payroll disparity, which is a big problem and must be addressed in some other way. But you can't just blame the Dodgers for this. There are a lot of teams out there that have to share in that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and Dad, you do bring up a good point, and I dial back my passion for a minute. They do develop great players, right, They have these prospects that they develop that they're able to deal in order to get the best players out there. And then obviously when it comes to signings like show, Hey, they are the Dodgers, for goodness sake, big market, major market team.
Speaker 2: You can't blame them for being in LA. You can't blame New York for being New York. It's not their fault. You even can't blame Boston for being Boston.
Speaker 1: You know, Adley Ritchman, it's a huge ad, but there's a huge amount of love to go into Boston, to go into New York, to go into LA because of the fan bases and the money that's in those markets. Now, of course, these trades are being made and the players don't have a say, we're talking more signings at least I am.
Speaker 2: In this moment. But yeah, yeah, I do think you.
Speaker 1: Can't blame the Dodgers, but you can look at teams, the other teams and say, trade with anybody else, anybody, anybody else. I'm with you, Jeff, Where does Scooball go next year? I don't want to put you spot because that's.
Speaker 3: The whole point. We don't even know what next year is. So in the absence of that information, I think all bets are off right now. You just try to win right now. And I think a lot of teams on Monday made an effort to win, and that's the most important thing. I think a lot of fans are sitting at home saying, all right, the Dodgers got way too good, but our team is trying to get better. I think that's the most important thing about the trade deadline, and I saw a lot of that today.
Speaker 1: All right, Dad, do you have any winners of the trade deadline that you want to kind of like put your TK signature on here.
Speaker 3: All right, Well, I think that's too cliche, Jeff for what we do. But to me, the winners are there are three winners. The Dodgers are the biggest winner they got Trek Scougel. The Red Sox are the second biggest winner because they got Adlie Rutchman and they just showed everybody we are going for it. And the third winners are Buster Oney and Jeff Passen, who have been beating the bushes, calling agents, calling general managers every single day, and now the pressure is off, the trade deadline is over. That doesn't mean we stop reporting on things, but I know the pressure. I'll never forget walking into ESPN about fifteen years ago Jp Richardi, who was the former general manager of the Toronto Blue Jays, who was working for ESPN at the time, might have been twenty years ago. Jeff, and he walked in on trade deadline day and he looked at me and he said, well, you have a different look in your eye today than you did yesterday. And I had to explain it's trade deadline day. Today is different, which is why Jeff our show is different today. Now Thursday. For Thursday's episode, we're going to get back to we laugh and we learn we're gonna have best of all. I mean, we're gonna have you know, quirk Gins and takeaways and you know, the Wheel of Kirkchin and three cards in the bathroom, and we're gonna have the greatest players of all time. Last letter t But today was all about the trade deadline. I think we did it right, you think so, just for one day.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I just got to say, though someone upstairs is not looking kindly onto you to start trade deadline day. Your flight got delayed, that must have.
Speaker 3: Been No, it wasn't delayed, Jeff. It was canceled. And I got to the airport this morning for a seven thirty flight at four point thirty in the morning, okay, because I had a lot of work to do. And I went to the Admirals Club and for American Airlines and I sat there and I worked for two and a half hours to seven o'clock, and then all of a sudden it said flight canceled. Fortunately, the people at the Admirals Club got me on a ten am flight. I got to ESPN on time. I got all my work done, which still isn't done. I gotta leave now and go do another podcast and Sports Center tonight. So we're gonna cut this a little bit short than usual, Jeff. But again Friday Thursday, we'll be back to our normal fun, our normal podcast.
Speaker 2: Okay, all right, everything else good, Dad, Just kidding, just kidding.
Speaker 1: I'm for subtlety. He's gotta go, folks. Okay, thank you so much for listening, and thanks as always for being a part of our family.
Speaker 2: Love me, Dad, have a good trade. Dupline night.
Speaker 3: I love you.
Speaker 1: Jeff also papers backs, a