Speaker 1: You are listening to the Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 2: What up? Good morning to you Dan Patrick Show here on Fox Sports Radio the iHeartRadio app. Welcome in. Hello, my dear friend Dan Bayer. Jason Stewart, the esteem producer of The DG Show as well as Today's Dan Patrick Show, joining us as well. And I won't be the first, I won't be the last, but I can't wish you happy New Year. New Year's Eve brings us a reaction to last night's Monday night football game, which was entertaining and of course we had a notable injury to a very notable figure for the defending NFC champion San Francisco forty nine ers. And it gives us football today or tonight, as we have the first in the second round quarterfinals of the College football Playoff. And I think it's actually the perfect game, so we get a lot to get to the first. Dan. This is this is always a good time in the morning when you wake up to go, hey, let's let's look back at last night's Monday night football game. Gave us a little bit. Everything got a hook and ladder, which was not you know, is a great trick play for a touchdown in the first half, exciting ending, and then you have a brock Party injury. Like, the biggest takeaway in your mind is what from that game?
Speaker 3: Well, it's actually brock Party's injury.
Speaker 4: But to your point of the Lions, not only are the Lions saying, yeah, we're gonna play our guys in what is a meaningless game for us, what really matters is Week eighteen. Not only are we gonna do that, We're gonna run a trick play that I don't know if they've used other times this season. I know they've done a bunch of other stuff, but let's throw that one on tape from Minnesota to worry about. They just don't let up, And that's the crazy thing. They could have came out there with a vanilla playbook, had Jamier Gibbs maybe play a quarter, but no, they went full throttle the rest of the way.
Speaker 3: Almost lost the game.
Speaker 4: But the biggest takeaway is the brock Party injury, depending on the severity of it, which we don't know right now, because lost in all of this is that, well, we thought that the Lions should pack it in last night and not do anything.
Speaker 3: Maybe it should have been brock Party.
Speaker 4: Maybe Brock Party should have just set these final two games for San Francisco just because of his contract situation and what could be ahead for him in that regard.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so we don't know, and uh it if you look online, right, but the fear obviously is in the throwing elbow, right, which was or throwing potential throwing shoulder. And when you have a guy who they don't have to extend him at the end of this year, right he has, he's under contract for another year, they don't have to. But when you think of what's out there, Kirk Cousins out there, right, uh, and then you have Sam Donald could be will be potentially out there. Cousins obviously played for Kyle Shanahan in Washington and uh Sam Darld started a couple of games last year replacing Brock Purty due to injury. Like this, this completely changes in many ways the perception of what's going to happen this upcoming off season for Party. I mean, look, I don't think he bought all of those Toyota Tacoma TRD trucks, but probably not, probably not, But if he did, like we're talking minimum fifty times, I think eight to ten offensive linemen and I don't know if he can't back by the backup. So if it's ten, like you're going to drop five hundred grand when you make less than a million, there's that thought like he is expecting a payday. He has been told there's a payday coming, and now what do you do if you're John Lynch and you're like, yeah, I can't do that, would do that?
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: What even complicates things now even more is if this is significant and again we don't know.
Speaker 2: Which don't today It's really really important because I don't want anybody to think if you woke up, you just turned on that we know it's a significant injury. We have no idea got him.
Speaker 3: Yeah, no, that's all right.
Speaker 4: But I think that we didn't question brock Perty's health considering he came back from the injury and didn't miss a regular season game the next year from it when he was hurt against the Philadelphia Eagles a couple of years ago. So now the whole debate about Purdy has been is Purty good enough? Is it Purdy or is it all the weapons around him? Riggy Piersaw last night had a great night. You know, stat wise, the Niners couldn't get stops on defense, which is probably their biggest problem. Perty did have some bad turnovers. There is the knock on him of are you trying to do too much? But ultimately, Doug, now all of a sudden injury prone or significant injury with the elbow comes into the equation comes into the negotiation, and I think that complicates things even more because if it is significant, now it's your second significant elbow injury early on in your career, and who knows how that goes down the line.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we have no idea. You know, it could be a nerve in there, which makes it feel like it's worse than it is. But you're right once you start to say like one injury, like okay, it's just an injury, when it's the second one, now, well it's chronic. And the crazy part was the first three drives. He had three drives in a row where he was nine of nine, one hundred and thirty one yards. I saw it. I mean he was killing it. Really Now. I know Detroit's defense wasn't great to begin with, and now being depleted by some injuries is even worse. But the interesting part is how brock Purty had had a very average year because of all of the in many ways, all of the injuries of the guys surrounding him. And look, I don't think he's nearly at the level of those elite quarterbacks, and I don't think he should be compensated as such. But again, I don't evaluate quarterbacks for living. I'm not Kyle Shanahan, I'm not John Lynch. To their team, they know it better than we do. And last night was one of the first nights all year when she looking, You're like, whoa while, brock Purty looking looks a little different, little better tonight than he has previously. And then he goes and gets hurt and again, might be something minor, might be just a nerve inflammation which makes you arm feel like it's on fire, and structurally it's fine, but you're you're totally right, Dan. Anybody who has a brain sits there and goes like, wait, wait, he had a major surgery on it previously, and now he has to leave a game, a close game because it feeling like it's on fire, Like what else can go wrong? And oh yet it's not like it's not an arm he's not going to use. It was his left arm. Like, all right, well, you know it's gonna be painful, but he doesn't need that one. It's the one elbow, you know, one of the two elbows that he actually needs.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it completely messes up the equation. They didn't have a running game last night. They were willing to get into a shootout with the Detroit Lions. And we've looked at the forty nine ers over the last couple of years, whether it be Christian McCaffrey, whether it be Jordan Mason when he was feeling in earlier of the season, or Elijah Mitchell other times, and even before that where he mostered, it's been running, running, running, and last night that wasn't the case. They aired it out. Party had three hundred and seventy seven yards. All those who are anti Party and don't pay Party will just point to the two interceptions because they didn't look good air mailing one.
Speaker 3: In the middle of the field. You could always point to that stuff.
Speaker 4: But as he said, he started out nine to nine through for almost four hundred yards in the game that had what ten touchdowns and no punts.
Speaker 3: I think, like it's crazy.
Speaker 4: I mean, he put on a show last night, but then there's still questions, and now the injury stuff complicates things.
Speaker 2: And then the big question is what Dan Campbell did playing all his starters. Here's Campbell, head coach of the still first place Detroit Lions, when he was asked if he considered resting his starters for last night's game.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it was on my mind, you know. I mean I thought a lot about it. You know, I thought about it leading up to the game. I thought about it last night. I told the staff. But I ended up settling on the right thing to do was play these guys, and and because we owed it to the team, you know, and and it was just one of those those positions we were in. It's just hard to say who you're going to sit, and and it's not fair to ask guys to play that haven't been prepared to play. You know.
Speaker 2: Those answers make no sense, by the way. I do understand the hey, you can't, you can't sit everybody, but the how could you not be? You had an extra data prep. You knew this was a possibility, right, you knew it was a possibility. I don't understand that answer.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I guess what he's saying is, look, had Minnesota lost, but had Minnesota lost they you know, and they won. Be in the same situation, still have to win the game on Sunday.
Speaker 4: I also don't want to sound callous, but isn't that what backups are for?
Speaker 3: I mean, like, there's.
Speaker 2: Don't we always don't you always tell your guys you stay ready?
Speaker 3: They ready?
Speaker 2: They ready? He's not really ready. It's not fair to him. What is he talking about? Look, I like Dan Campbell, I can just tell you this all gas and no breaks thing. It sounds really, really good. I can tell you from personal experience, it is an atrocious idea. I don't care what you do if you lose your start. Your starters are your starters for a reason. What are you doing? You did not have to play last night's game to win. And like, I'm a crazy competitive person. My team is in a is in a losing streak. We've had a gigantic injury on our team, okay, and it's one of those like we're in that phase to where like, if it can go wrong, it goes wrong. That's just kind of where it goes and you got to turn around and fix it. Okay, but everyone knows that your likelihood of success is made even greater in the playoffs when you have healthy players. Nothing matters. Unless you have healthy players, it's so hard to do with backups. And there's what was the win in winning last night, especially now that you got a short week of prep to go play the Minnesota Vikings. How does that make any sense? And his need to go for it right like it's gotten a beaten this year. Heck, last year there was the decisions on win to go for it, not to go for it against the Niners in the NFC Championship game, which in the first half he didn't. In the second half he did, and it backfired on him and they gave away a lead. And I'm not saying he's not a tremendous coach, but that particular decision and his defense of the decision really didn't make any sense.
Speaker 4: I'll tell you what also doesn't make sense. This is Jared Goff after the win last night.
Speaker 6: I think that's the only way we know, you know, it's just go and find a way to win. And you know, the team we were playing, you know, in San Francisco, like this is what ended our season last year, And there was a lot of guys on this team that were there last year that you know, wanted to get one back on them, even though you know, in a lot of ways it was meaningless for them and meaningless for us. But they were prideful out there too. They were trying to you know, beat us as well, and it was a fun game.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So I get it. It's like, we just we lost the Niners last year in the playoffs. We want to put the steak in. They're already not in the playoffs. They're already not in the playoffs.
Speaker 4: The part that I don't get is how in the world could that be payback Like last year was for a trip to the Super Bowl. This year meant nothing to either side. It's actually one of the glaring things about Nick Sirianni. For all of the things that we will point out and the dumb stuff that the Eagles head coach does, there may have been nothing worse than taunting Chiefs fans after beating them in Kansas City when the Chiefs beat them in the Super Bowl the prior year. Like, it wasn't it wasn't payback, It wasn't revenge. I don't know how you could get revenge from losing a Super Bowl, except if you played them in the Super Bowl the next year. This didn't even less impact than that Chiefs Eagles get Doug there was. It meant nothing to neither to both sides and to sit there and say like they're prideful, like that's garbage. Nobody last night thought, yeah, revenge note at all.
Speaker 2: There wasn't even there wasn't a single Lions fan and you and I work with Christophett who's the Lions. A single Lions fan on the on the planet, on the planet, who's like, hey, or even for last year, huh? You like that, buddy? You like that? Like even like not one, no, nobody, nobody thinks that. And and you know, I love the idea of trying to win every day, trying to win every game. That were competitive people. You can the backups can compete as well, because you know what you're playing for something more important than a Monday night football game in Week seventeen of an NFL season. You're playing for a super Bowl, to win a super Bowl with the Detroit Lions. That's the only thing that matters is the super Bowl with the Detroit Lions. And and and nothing that was done last It was a fun game, Don't get me wrong. Like, we've had a lot of like drudgery here end of the season with some of these games. Guys in the limpited the fun game forty thirty four points score trick plays awesome, But I mean for a team that's already been depleted, already lost, you know, lost a running back, lost, the middle linebacker, lost, some ancillary pieces like what are you doing? What what are you possibly doing? Hey, payback? Some of these guys want to pay back. We want to pay back. It's not payback, not payback? Uh, Jay ste you you you want to propose a bit? Is that what you want to do?
Speaker 7: Happy New Year's Eve, a gentleman I put together.
Speaker 2: Isn't it a Happy New Year's Eve? Day?
Speaker 7: Sure?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm just saying it's a weird sentence. But New Year's Eve, I mean, I guess, I guess it can be used. It depends on the use of the word eve. Eve can be day before, but it's really night before, is it not.
Speaker 7: Yeah? No, I'll definitely I think right on that one.
Speaker 8: I put together a gift for listeners as we look back on twenty twenty four. I wanted to play my personal favorite soundbites from the year and by all means, Doug Dan listeners, if you have any contribution, let us know. But I want to play at the end of each segment today, just something that was memorable, something that's stuck out from twenty twenty four in sports, And I want to start with somebody that Doug actually either attended high school with or went to the same high school as test.
Speaker 2: And high school and go to ten high school with. He was a freshman, I was a senior.
Speaker 8: Deshaun Foster gets the job at UCLA and he shows up at Big Ten media days and he just wows the world with charisma.
Speaker 9: UCLA and a Big Ten where a school that's won what one hundred and twenty three championship. So this fits as being right in this conference football wise, which is excited.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 9: I'm sure you guys don't know too much about UCLA but our football program, but we're in LA, it's us in USC We's uh.
Speaker 2: The crazy part was for people who don't know. We actually had Deshaun on the Doug Gottlieb Show like a half hour after that happened, and he was like, yeah, well what happened was I didn't know if us was to make a statement answer the question. He was great about it, but yeah, that was that. That wasn't great.
Speaker 7: Well they turned it into it. I want to say he turned it in the thing?
Speaker 3: Yeah, like in LA Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 7: Oh.
Speaker 8: By the way, I have veto put this together so I can'tnot play what I was supposed to do right before we played the Shan Foster. Yeah, is this is the intro for the for the bit today they said.
Speaker 7: What they said?
Speaker 2: What?
Speaker 8: So you'll be hearing more sound throughout the show listeners. I hope you enjoy it.
Speaker 2: Well, that's a really good veto, did a really good job. What what did you choke? Did you get too excited about playing the sound? What happened?
Speaker 7: Oh you know, I'm I'm not a host by trade.
Speaker 2: No you are. You're the FM morning morning radio host. We we've we've we've established that that you love to do the well not let don't call it a throwback, because you really want to do what was hot on the Billboard top charts in twenty fifteen. Right, that's we've established that. Don't don't don't duck and dodge that thing. You got too excited because the clip is way too funny. Everybody does it that clip is too funny. Can you can't hear it one more time? I got to hear that again. We're we're in l A with USC.
Speaker 7: Wait a minute, they said, what.
Speaker 2: Oh so good? So good.
Speaker 9: We're a school that's won what one hundred and twenty three championships? So this fits us being right in this conference football wise, which is excited.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 9: I'm sure you guys don't know too much about UCLA but our football program.
Speaker 3: But we're in LA.
Speaker 9: It's us in USC.
Speaker 10: We wela, it's us in USC.
Speaker 2: Rapid Radio's official walkie talking to The Dan Patrick Show offers national lt coverage and no subscriptions ever. A great alternative for your kids. We use them right here in the show. Go to Rapid radios dot com now for up to six percent off plus free shipping. I'm Doug Gottlabees Dan Bayer and for Dan and the guys. Today. Coming up on The Doug Gottlieve Show, we'll talk to somebody who has negotiated contract with quarterbacks about the brock Party situation after his injury last night.
Speaker 1: Be sure to catch the live edition of The Dan Patrick Show weekdays at nine am Eastern six am Pacific on Fox Sports Radio in the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 11: Hey Steve Covino and I'm Rich David and together we're Covino and Rich on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 7: You could catch us.
Speaker 11: Weekdays from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and of course the iHeartRadio app. Why should you listen to Covino and Rich. We talk about everything life, sports, relationships, what's going on in the world. We have a lot of fun talking about the stories behind the stories in the world of sports and pop culture. Worries that well other shows don't seem to have the time to discuss. And the fact that we've been friends for the last twenty years and still work together. I mean that says something, right. So check us out. We like to get you involved too, take your phone calls, chop it up. As they say, I'd say, the most interactive show on Fox Sports Radio, maybe the most interactive show on planet Earth. Be sure to check out Cavino and Rich live on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio app from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific, And if you miss any of the live show, just search Kovin on Rich wherever you get your podcast, and of course on social media. That's Covino and Rich.
Speaker 2: Good morning to you, Happy New Year to you, Dan Patrick Show, Fox Sports Radio. I'm Doug Gottlieb, Dan Buyer alongside so some interesting going ons last night in the Nation Football League with the Detroit Lione surviving the San Francisco forty nineers. Monday Night football brock pretty though it went down with some form of elbow injury. We think it's an elbow injury. We don't really really know. We don't know the sever have it or anything of it, only with reports of that his arm was on fire and leaving many to speculate more nerve than anything else. But what that means, We simply don't know a guy who would know how this could affect the potential for a contract negotiation this upcoming off season, joins us now. His name is Andrew Brandt. He is, he has. He's the host of the business sports podcast under DraftKings Network. He's also the author of the Sunday seven newsletter, which you can sign up for on his social media pages IG and Twitter as well, and he joins us now on the Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio. Andrew, before we get to the Niners, the Lions played their starters, played to win, and you've been in with the Packers organization, with the Eagles organization. What are your thoughts on the lines logic behind playing their guys last night in the game that did nothing for them in terms of playoff seating.
Speaker 12: Yeah, good morning, Doug. Always good to be with you. I am not, I repeat not a believer in playing starters and stars and games like this, and I think you'll see most of the teams agree with that on Sunday this weekend. But Dan Kimbell's got his own feelings and that was important to him. Maybe a little bit different going into a big game next week rather than a rest for the playoffs. So I'll give him that. Listen, my feeling, Doug is risk reward. It's always come down to risk reward. What's the risk and the risk is phenomenal. The risk is getting one of her stars, God forbid your quarterback hurt in a meaningless game for the playoffs. What's the reward? I don't get it. Winning a game that doesn't matter, I guess, but to me, that's not comparable. So I am a total believer in I changed the Herm Edwards line. You don't play to win the and a regular season game. Yeah, you play to win the playoffs game. So it's pretty clear to me.
Speaker 2: With Dan Barom Doug Gottlabis is the dam Show Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 3: Okay, so Doug quick one on that.
Speaker 4: Sorry, we had troubles with my mic here, but just on the on the line sort of thing. Andrew, when you were an executive with the Packers, what happens with bonuses and stuff like that, Like, like, I do you know, how is that reviewed during the week, especially if you are going to be sitting guys and having that discussion.
Speaker 3: How does that come about? And how do you deal with that as a front office?
Speaker 12: Yeah, Dan, that's a great question, and that is a problem. And when I was with the Packers, we fortunately we're in a lot of those games where the sixteenth game at that time seventeenth game now didn't really matter. So we did sit stars and starters. But I also instituted something contractually with the Packers that a lot of teams use now called per game rock bonuses. So it's a way of getting the player money. But he has to be healthy, that's really all he has to be to be a part of the forty seven man active roster, and yes, this was a problem. Players came up to me after these games. Even one player during a championship NFC Championship game came up to me and said, what am I going to get those bonuses for the sixteenth game? And I had to adjust some contracts in the year the next year because I didn't foresee that problem, And absolutely not did I tell the coaches about it. The coaches and the cap contract guy should not be talking about these things, and I include that with incentive bonuses, whether a guy is close to one thousand yards or close to fifty catches or close to eight sacs. I created a wall. I did not want any coaches knowing about that, because then you could really face the agent and player and saying absolutely not, there was no communication about that, and be honest about it. So that's a great question, and that's how I handled it.
Speaker 2: Okay, speaking of contract negotiations, do you think last night's injury, again, we have no idea this severity does to the contract negotiatations in brock Pirty.
Speaker 12: Well, we're going to assume that he's going to be ready to play in twenty twenty five. I mean This sounds like kind of the injury he had in the championship game in twenty twenty three, So we're going to assume this is not going to affect his playing in twenty five. Here's the thing. He is going to get a big contract. The question to me is how big? Because the market, as you and I have talked about many times, has gone to the fifties fifty five and then of course the outlier with Prescott at sixty. I just don't see him getting there. Now. Everyone could say, well, why not, because he's among those guys and his record, but I just don't see it. And what the leverage the forty nine ers have is that that fourth year. In other words, he's done three years of a seventh round contract, which is peanuts. He's still got a year left on that. Now, are the forty niners going to make him play for a million dollars in his fourth year?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 12: But are they going to offer him fifty five million dollars?
Speaker 11: No?
Speaker 12: So I guess I'm looking at it as party's going to make a decision. Do I play for a million dollars or do I play for a contract averaging pick a number thirty million dollars, thirty five million dollars, forty million dollars and am I really going to push for fifty million dollars? So that's the leverage the forty nine ers have. It's you got a year left at a million dollars, so you turn down or offer. That's what you're looking at.
Speaker 4: Can they use the elbow injury even if they think everything's going to be fine? Can they use it against him like you would maybe an arbitration in Major League Baseball?
Speaker 12: It's tough, you know, obviously tough to negotiate that way and talk about injuries, but it will be a factor if we're looking at it affecting next season. If this comes back as nerve damage, that can be lingering or whatever the word is into next season. Yes, absolutely, it's like someone coming off a knee injury. You're not going to do a huge contract based on that.
Speaker 2: What do you think Sam Donald's market looks.
Speaker 12: Like different than party because of what I just said. He's a free agent. He's a free agent, so there's no extra year that they can negotiate off like the forty nine ers can. So now we're talking a different market and just forget about numbers I think Donald will make more than party because of contract status. So yeah, the Vikings will try to sign him, but they won't be the only ones. So now you've got leverage, Now you've got teams. Now you got something that is so rare in the NFL, productive quarterbacks on the market. When does that happen?
Speaker 3: Never?
Speaker 12: So I think his market is strong, extremely strong. And this idea of trading JJ McCarthy, that's you don't trade a number one pick that hasn't played. That won't happen. But if the Vikings retain him, it's then it's the discussion, the discussion we had in Green Bay for every you know, for for Rogers and for love, Like, what's the time If you're JJ McCarthy's agent, are you are you going to accept two years guaranteed for Donald? You don't have anything to say about it, but are you going to accept three years guaranteed for Donald? That's a long time. That would be four years of waiting. So we'll see what happens. They've got to deal with a lot in Minnesota once they get.
Speaker 5: Past the playoffs.
Speaker 4: Kind of on the flip side of things, I know it's only two years in, but there's not a lot of good coming from Indianapolis with someone like Anthony Richardson. But again, when you're drafting a player like that, you and the limited experience he had coming into the NFL, what sort of window do you give a quarterback like that if you're Indianapolis, especially if your backup plan right now is in aging Joe Flacco, who's on the couch for most of last season, what do you do if you're the Colts in your young.
Speaker 12: Quarterback, Well, you don't cut them, you don't trade them, but you do have a better backup plan than what you just talked about on the couch. You have a serious backup plan. You have a serious player that can come in there. And I don't know who that is. That's a long way off. But you're not talking about a stop gap anymore in a place like Indianapolis. You're not talking about a Flacco type. You're talking about a real option, and you're not giving up on Richardson. Of course, you know, it's like what I heard about Bryce Young and early part of this ish. No, you don't give up a number one picks this early, but you better have an option. No, it's not like in Cleveland as well, and that's a whole other situation. But they're not going into Cleveland next year again with these sort of retread backups anymore. They're going with a real option, So it's going to be interesting with those teams.
Speaker 2: He's the one only Andrew Brant, of course, he's a former executive with the Packers, the host of the Business Sports podcast and the DraftKings Network, and the author of these Sunday seven newsletter that you can sign up for on his social media pages. Andrew, Happy New Year to you, Thanks so much for joining us.
Speaker 12: Thanks you guys having new year.
Speaker 2: Gottlie Dan Byer in for Dan Dannett's Jay Stu. I think you had another say what for us?
Speaker 8: I just want to continue our gifts for the listeners throughout their show today. I want to play sound from the Year in Sports in twenty twenty four.
Speaker 7: And it's a bit uh. We like to call this.
Speaker 1: I don't want me waiting a minute, they said, what.
Speaker 7: I think that's a pretty good intro. In fact, I like it a lot.
Speaker 8: We might have to institute it on our daily show, The Doug Gottleep Show. So the second bit of sound I want to say, I don't want to speak for Dan here, but I think it's his favorite from the year. Dan was the one who was watching the off season Hard Knocks up close. And of course this exchange with Joel Shane and John Mara about Saquon Barkley really stood out right.
Speaker 13: What's the latest on I just got a text that Chicago's driving the price up and Philly's out.
Speaker 3: I don't know if that's true or.
Speaker 1: Not, which I don't know if I'll make a couple of calls.
Speaker 4: I don't even know if that's gonna gonna happen, but I have a tough time sleep.
Speaker 13: And if Siquand goes the film outside of that, as I told you, just being up, I had been around enough players so but he's the most popular player we have by far, so good.
Speaker 2: So here's I just again. I mean John Marrow was telling him right there, just get this thing done, right, I mean everyone heard it at the time. Just get this thing done. Like stop. You can explain all you want about years and whatever, just get this thing done. And remember Sequon Barkley, who's got a chance to set the all time single season rushing mark. He only left for a million dollars more. The whole contracts a million dollars more, which signifies two things. One, you know, the Giants weren't willing to go, hey, whatever you do, we'll offer you more money. And then two, uh he was it was. It became petty at the end. It became it became an ego thing.
Speaker 4: It's interesting because I I don't it's not the exact opposite, but I look at it from a different angle, and I'm glad we played that sound because it's not the pile on Joe Shane. It's actually to applaud Joe Shane and the entire Giants organization for doing this. And I don't know if the NFL forced him to do it, but I don't know if a team will ever do it again.
Speaker 3: I hope they do.
Speaker 4: I hope we get access like that because it actually shows what goes on in these scenarios. I would have loved to have heard the conversations of the Atlanta Falcons. And now we look at the quarterback situation and we see Michael Pennix has taken over, But imagine what those conversations would have been. Joe Shane may have been wrong, but I just feel that his handicap was wrong, Like in terms of Seguon Barkley, and we've discussed this and many others have discussed it as well. Seguon Barkley was not going to do what he did in Philadelphia in New York this year. That was not going to happen, and so you have these like sequence of events where then the Giants are like, let's go and get your weapon Daniel Jones. They get them with leak neighbors that actually hits. They wanted to go cheap in the running back market. It turns out Tyrone and Tracy was pretty good for him. They had a bunch of injuries on the offensive line that they tried to fortify as part of the hard knocks that we found out there were a bunch of pieces they could get. They lost their left tackle Andrew Thomas for the season. So it just didn't work out for the Giants and it very likely could cost them all their jobs. Brian Dable, Joe Shane, the whole deal and what was a make or break year. But sometimes those things happen, and I'm so grateful that we got to look at it. So I don't want to make it seem like we're piling on Joe Shane because it gave us insight into what a general manager actually has to decide.
Speaker 2: And to add on to that is, let's also be honest, it looks really bad right now. There's just no you know. I mean, the Raiders have a running back who's you know, Tom Telesco gets that job late, and the Raiders had already kind of been a dude to a running back who's having a heck of a year in Green Bay. The Packers had Aaron Jones who's having a heck of a year in Minnesota. And of course Park and this was all the talk of last year leading up to the season. But remember the fight, from these general managers' perspective and from the league's perspective, was not over one year. It was all of these guys wanted essentially three years guaranteed, and the likelihood that they're anywhere near as productive in year two and year three is minimal. It just is that was the real that's the real gamble here. There was never and this is what I hate about headlines and some reporting in our business, which is they you either want or don't want somebody. The Giants wanted Saquon Barkley. They just never wanted to give him a three year guaranteed deal, just didn't because he's been injured a lot, you know, So I just I let's let's see how it ultimately plays out. But right now, yes, it looks like words that end up causing you to get fired because of it. This one decision. I'm Doug Gottlibe's Dan Byer in for Dan and Danettes today. Come up next to Dan Patrick Show. Do you remember who won all of the championships in all of the major awards this year? We'll remind you next.
Speaker 1: Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at Foxsports Radio dot com and within the iHeartRadio app search FSR to listen live.
Speaker 2: Come on to Dan Patrick Show, Fox Sports Radio with Dan Bayer. I'm Doug Gottlieb's Dan Patrick Show, Fox Sports Radio. Jay Stu is a Steam producer. So Jay Stu, is this one of those like you want to be the annoying triz trivia guy? Or do you want buyer to do the game? How do you want to do it? Towards like quizzing us on what every championship in every award, like just without looking it up without thinking. That's the idea.
Speaker 8: Dan is the ultimate game maker. He makes the games for us on the Doug Gottlieb Show every day. He came up with all of this, and I'm gonna leave it to him to host it.
Speaker 4: All Right, let's get to a game, yeah, Doug. We don't even need any game time imaging. I just need some music because I'm going to tell you what's going to happen. We're going to look back over these last three and sixty six days, right, because we had the leap year. Right, we had the Leap year this past year. Don't forget about that. A lot has happened. Some you remember and some you forget. Yeah, and that's what we are here for. I have a list of thirty three events or awards that occurred, and we just have to find the winners of each.
Speaker 2: Okay, I have no just see you guys understand. I'm in my office here at Green Bay. Okay, I have three computers up, but none of them are googling or searching or whatever. None of them. Okay, so I'm just going to go off the top of my head. No, no looking at good. You ask them, I'll try and get them.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and at some point we will ask the listener those on social media if they would like to get in on the action as well. But here are the thirty three events that I want to know who won or who claimed the award for in twenty twenty four.
Speaker 3: So if the.
Speaker 4: Super Bowl was played in February, if the National Championship Game was played in January, I want to know who won that game. So the NFL College Football, NBA, WNBA Men's College Basketball Final four, Women's Final Four, Major League Baseball, College Baseball World Series, College World Series of Softball, NCAA Volleyball champion, Stanley Cup Champion. Who won the Masters, PGA Championship, US Open to the Open Championship. How about the winner of the MLS Premier League or the UAFA Champions League. Let's go to tennis, Australia Open, French Open, Wimbledon, US Open. How about the most medals won by a gold medals won by a country at the Paris Olympic Games, NFL MVP, NBA MVP, WNBA, MVP AL, MVP NLMVP Heisman Trophy. Who won the NASCAR Cup Series this past year? Who won Daytona five hundred? Who won f one, and who won the ndy five hundred. I want to know all those answers.
Speaker 2: Wow, let's go, okay, which first?
Speaker 3: Any of them? Just take them? Yeah, no, just just go back.
Speaker 2: To the order, and I'm gonnall shout them out because I think they'll come to my mind.
Speaker 4: National Football League, your Super Bowl champions, Kansas City Chiefs.
Speaker 3: They did. They beat the.
Speaker 4: Forty nine ers in Super Bowl fifty nine in overtime. Doug College Football's National champions sneeche again and they ended up routing TCU's all right, there's enough of that, Mark Jason, if you want to try to chime in as.
Speaker 7: Well, I got the NBA champ. I think it was the Celtics.
Speaker 4: No, yes, the Boston Celtics. They beat the Dallas Mavericks in five games. So the top three are off the board. Next WNB.
Speaker 2: New York Liberty wanted, didn't they?
Speaker 3: Is that an answer? Is that a guest to the New York Liberty. It was the New York.
Speaker 4: Liberty, Yes, congratulations. They topped the Minnesota Lynx in five games. And remember when we thought the Links coach was mad about Caitlin Clark, then she was mad that the w NBA Championship, said Cheryl Reeve, was that the Yeah, there was another bit of sound that maybe we did we maybe missed out on. Can't remember. What about the men's basketball final four?
Speaker 2: Who won the national championship last year?
Speaker 7: No? The final four team.
Speaker 2: Ucn Oh you won final four teams? Yes, Purdue, you con Wow, this is Alamma Alabama?
Speaker 4: I know Ja, I know Jay Stus.
Speaker 2: You know Jay?
Speaker 3: That good work, guys, Yes, Jay Stu. What do you know?
Speaker 8: Because I turned ten dollars into like three thousand dollars survivor.
Speaker 7: Thank you for dan By for introducing me.
Speaker 3: All right, yeah, you can cut down the nets.
Speaker 4: What about the women's final four in college basketball?
Speaker 2: Iowa? Uh, South Carolina.
Speaker 7: Did make it.
Speaker 2: No, that was the Elite eight. They lost the Elite eight.
Speaker 4: I think, yes, that is correct to Caitlin Clark and Iowa is in it?
Speaker 2: Carolina, Yes, they were, Yukon was in it, and I don't know who the other team was.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's going to be part of the dilemma. We're gonna have to We're gonna need that answer. We're gonna need that answer at some point. But yeah, remember Iowa, Yukon, Stanford and the fouls that were called, and the moving screen and that National semi final game Major League Baseball.
Speaker 3: Low hanging fruit there, I got that. Go yep.
Speaker 4: The Dodgers beating the Yankees in five games. College Baseball World Series starts to get hard.
Speaker 7: Right now.
Speaker 2: I want to say, somebody as Oh, Tennessee.
Speaker 4: That is correct, dog, Yes, they beat Texas A and M in three games.
Speaker 2: SEC has all the money, they got, all the baseball dudes and the Tennessee coaches. He was talking it and walking it.
Speaker 4: They also, I think one like the shot contest in Omaha at that bar where you have the most shots. What about the College Softball World Series? That is correct? We swept Florida State two to oh in that best of three series. I feel like we could say that every year with the Sooners. All right, NCAA Volleyball champions.
Speaker 2: There's really only two possible answers here. I'm gonna go with Nebraska.
Speaker 3: No, that is no, that is not the case. This is state right hen State it was, Yes, it.
Speaker 2: Was those only two answers.
Speaker 3: By the way, Wisconsin could have been was a great story.
Speaker 7: The head coach is a battling cancel.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, that's right. She's batting cans.
Speaker 4: Yes, I forgot that just happened with the final four, all number one seeds Louisville.
Speaker 2: We'll get more of this upcoming next hour, as well as, uh, what should the Eagles do at running back? This weekend, we'll talk about the next The Dan Patrick Show fot to Portrayio