Speaker 1: I Am all In.
Speaker 2: Let's kiss you.
Speaker 3: I Am all In with Scott Patterson an iHeartRadio podcast.
Speaker 1: Hey Everybody, Scott Patterson I'm all In Podcast, one of them productions iHeartRadio, Our Heart Podcast, Our Heart Media. Pop Culture Season six, episode twenty two partings joined by Suzanne French, Taras suit Amy and Daniel Will join us in a moment, Tara, why don't you just start us off?
Speaker 4: Alrighty?
Speaker 3: So Taylor is complaining about all the new troubadours on the street and Kirk explains why.
Speaker 4: Kirk says, some big time music.
Speaker 3: Manager was limoing through town and he caught one of the troubadour's songs gave him an opening slot on Neil Young's tour. Taylor says, who's Neil Young? Neil Young is a singer and songwriter. He released critically acclaimed albums such as Everybody Knows, This Is Nowhere, After the Gold Rush, Harvest on the Beach, and Rust Never Sleeps. He also was a part time member of Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young, with whom he recorded the chart topping nineteen seventy album Deja Vu and Did You Know? Neil's middle name is Percival.
Speaker 1: By the way, for those young kids listening in at Neil Young, Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young sold out stadiums. They were like the Taylor Swift of their day. They sold out stadium after stadium after stadium after stadium. They were getting one hundred thousand, eighty thousand was amazing, And they were a folk folk rock band. They walked out there with acoustic guitars and they sang these beautiful harmonies and these great songs. Just for your ratification, Suzanne French, you are up to the plate.
Speaker 5: Alrighty Taylor steps out of Luke's Diner to announce something to the Troubadours, and he says, I would just like to say that there is no bigger fan of music than the man standing before you. No memory is more precious to me than the one of my father taking me to the Hartford Civic Auditorium to see the great Pat Boone. Pat Boone is a singer, actor, and composer. He was a successful pop singer during the nineteen fifties and early nineteen sixties. He sold more than forty five million records, had thirty eight top forty hits, and appeared in more than twelve Hollywood films.
Speaker 1: Did you know?
Speaker 5: He was the former next door neighbor of the Osborne and Sharon Osbourne. His cover of crazy Train was used as the theme for the Osbourne's TV show, Oh I didn't.
Speaker 4: Know, That's super cool?
Speaker 1: Yeah, man, God, I love that show. At Home with the Osbourne's.
Speaker 4: Oh, the good show.
Speaker 1: I love I love that house.
Speaker 4: Wasn't that the first reality show?
Speaker 1: One of them? I think so?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Like Family, Yeah.
Speaker 1: That Lepardy reality.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that was, yeah show, it was.
Speaker 1: He's so fun to watch. That family was so fun to watch. Oh yeah, oh man. Anyway, Luca is looking for Laurel I and asked Patty where she might be. Is Laura I pretends not to be home, hiding in Rory's room, Luke, No, she's not. At the end, I tried the n miss Patty. Well, I don't know, you know, half the people's half the time people speak to me. I'm thinking about Beryshnakov. Did you see Turning Point? In Turning Point nineteen seventy seven, films centered on the world of ballet in New York City. The film stars Sheerlan McLay and Anne Bancroft, along with Leslie Brown and Mkale Berishnikoff and Tom Scarett. The film was nominated for eleven Academy Awards, including Best Picture. Did you know? Mikhal Berishnikoff played Carrie's boyfriend Alexander Petrowski on season six of six in the City. I did not watch that show, so I did not know that. Susane Froch.
Speaker 5: After being shown the building that is going to have her name across the front of it, Rory decides that she would like to leave. Laura, I says, honey, come on, we have teased you way worse than this before. Remember when you were ten and you thought you discovered You Two?
Speaker 1: That was a good one.
Speaker 5: Yeah. You Two are an Irish rock band formed in Dublin nineteen seventy six. The group consists of Bono the Edge, Adam Clayton and Larry Mullen Junior.
Speaker 2: Did you know?
Speaker 5: Bonna was the only person who has been nominated for an Oscar Grammy, Golden Globe and for the Nobel Prize.
Speaker 1: Wow, Emily Richard are discussing how oh, I'm so sorry, Taras.
Speaker 4: Oh, It's cool, it's you sure?
Speaker 1: Apology?
Speaker 4: Yeah, all right?
Speaker 3: There are a lot of musicians. In this episode, I just I mean, we're just realized. Emily and Richard are discussing how funny Lenny's mother is. Emily says, it's so important to find someone who can make you laugh. I was always so envious of Johnny Carson's wives. I just thought these women must do nothing but laugh all the time. Johnny Carson and was a television host, comedian, writer, and producer. He's best known as the host of the Tonight Show with Johnny Carson. Carson received six Primetime Emmy Awards, the Television Academy's nineteen eighty Governor's Award, and the nineteen eighty five Peabody Award. And did you know When he announced his impending retirement, there was fierce competition between David Letterman and Jay Leno to be his Tonight Show successor. Leno eventually won the coveted spot, and an angry Letterman moved over to rival networks CBS to host a competing show Boor.
Speaker 1: David was angry. Yeah, he was really pissed, wasn't. He was very pissed, But he wasn't. He wasn't like he wasn't the right DNA for the Tonight Show.
Speaker 4: Well, Andrew he had his own success, so I feel like it worked out.
Speaker 1: I mean, he had a whole He had a completely different demeanor as a ka. I mean, he was just like mean to people, you know, that was his stick. He would just like make people feel like crap all the time, and then they'd come back with zingers and that would be his you know, his ratings. That's the controversy that because he was so nasty to people all the time. I remember when Cher told him to go f himself unlick.
Speaker 4: Oh sure, now I have to look it up.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, Shaer like he was messing with Cher because that was his stick. He just he was just completely rude and condescending and nasty to people. Johnny Carson was the opposite of that. He made Johnny Carson made his guests look great all the time. That was his gift. He knew how to get out of the way. He removed his ego and he's It always seemed like Johnny loved his guests and they were the funniest people in the world, and they were the most talented people in the world. And he made those people feel comfortable and great and they told great stories. Because he you know, he knew that they were nervous coming on, and Letterman used that against people, He used their against them. So I think that's primarily the reason why Letterman lost out on that. I don't know if anybody cares about my I have a question for you guys. Who wrote the Tonight Show for Johnny Carson? Johnny Carson's Tonight's Show theme song?
Speaker 4: Oh, I don't know, Doc Severnson.
Speaker 5: He was a conductor.
Speaker 1: He was he was the Tonight Show band, the leader of the Tonight Show Band.
Speaker 7: Uh, I have zero I don't even know the theme song. Sorry, it was lorelized dog. Paul anka Way wrote the theme song.
Speaker 1: Comes backing. It all comes back to who's up? Does that mean? Okay? Taylor still complaining about the troubadours in town. He runs into Officer Rusk and ask him to do something about Taylor. That's right, It wasn't Officer Fife. Why did I call him Officer Fife? Taylor? Well, then line them up and have him follow you to jail. Officer Rusking, Well, I could do that, but it's single cell that it holds two maybe three if they aren't fat, And we don't have any food Taylor, Oh forget it. Barney Fife Bernard Barney Fife as a fictional character from The Andy Griffith Show, portrayed by the brilliantly talented comedic actor Don Knotts. One of the funniest and most endearing characters in television history was Barney Fife. Barney Fife is a deputy sheriff in a slow paced, sleepy southern community of Maybury, North Carolina. Did you know? Don don Knotts stopped being a regular on The Andy Griffin Show after nineteen sixty five because originally the show's producers had intended to end the series after that year. Still at a creative and popular peak, don Knotts had already signed a multi picture deal with the Universal Studios. And I saw and he did a fish called it was the Mister Limpet Film. Yeah, mister Olympet. We went to see that when I was a kid, not sidor. He sent mlt you to Universal Picture. When Griffin relented to network pressure and kept his show on the air for several more years, Don later said that he deeply regretted having to leave the show, but his film commitments prevented him from continuing as a cast regular. Nice problem to have.
Speaker 8: Yeah, Emily is trying to set up Christopher and Lenny.
Speaker 5: Christopher follows Laurel into the bathroom looking for an escape plan. Says, out of what?
Speaker 4: Christopher says, what do you mean?
Speaker 2: Out of what?
Speaker 5: This is a setup? So it seems I can't believe Emily would do this. Laurel I says, you're talking about Emily Dickinson, right, because Emily Gilmour was made to do this. Emily Dickinson was a poet little known during her life, she has since been regarded as one of the most important figures in American poetry. Did you know Emily Dickinson wrote over eighteen hundred poems in her fifty six years of life. However, only ten of those poems saw the light of day in publications.
Speaker 1: Is that that's the way it goes?
Speaker 7: Man?
Speaker 8: All right?
Speaker 4: Christopher believes Lorelei's being no help.
Speaker 3: Laura I said what I do? Christopher said nothing. You're just sitting there. You're not saying anything. Laurlai says, what are you talking about? When mom said, doesn't he look like Carrie Grant?
Speaker 4: I said yes.
Speaker 3: Carry Grant was an actor best known for comedy comedic and dramatic roles such as Bringing a Baby, The Philadelphia Story, An Affair to Remember, and Charade. Did you know that Carrie became a father for the first time at the age of sixty two with his fourth wife, Diane Cannon, who gave birth to their daughter, Jennifer Diane Grant on February twenty sixth, nineteen sixty six.
Speaker 1: Diane Cannon What a great actress. She could do anything, drama, comedy. She was in a film with gud Was that Warren Batty film with Charles Groden and Diane Cannon where seems like gold times? No, no, no, where he was? Warren Batty was a quarterback for the Los Angeles Rams. Wait Kevin can wait? Yeah, Yeah, she was fantastic in that film.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that was a good movie.
Speaker 1: Laurel's attempt to save Christopher turns into Laurele I asking a lot of obnoxious questions. Laurel Lenny as a psychologists tell me what you think of the soprano as Carolyn, Actually I miss Adriana. The Sopranos is an American crime drama television series created by David Chase's series revolves around Tony Soprano James Gandolfini, May he rest in peace, a New Jersey based Italian American mobster who struggles to bow on his family life with his role as the leader of a criminal organization. That's listen, that's how my family was. That's all Jersey found from Jersey. Everybody has. We're all crime families up there. That's the stereotyme. Adriana is a fictional character on the HBO TV series The Soprano is portrayed by Drea de Matteo. She is a longtime girlfriend later fiance of Tony Soprano's protege, Christopher Malta Sante Maltasanti.
Speaker 2: Did you know?
Speaker 1: It has said that during some scenes James Gandelfini inserted a small stone and his shoe to anger him, making him play the role of Tony Soprano more authentically. He would also stay awake all night for some of the breakfast scenes to achieve a tired look. Yeah, he would also stay away. It means he partied all night and he didn't do it, just went out, had a good time. Well, how dedicate No, Hey, of course he was great. I'm sure he did.
Speaker 5: Rory has thrown logan a London themed going away party. Logan says, kiss me Mary Poppins. Rory says, really, I thought I was more Gwyneth Paltrow Shakespeare in Love. Shakespeare in Love is a nineteen ninety eight period romantic comedy film produced by Harvey Weinstein. It stars Gwyneth Paltrow.
Speaker 6: Josephine why Boom, Jeffrey Rash, Calling Firth, Ben f Black, and Judy Dench.
Speaker 5: The film depicts a fictional love affair involving playwright Ruling Shakespeare and Viola de Lesseps while Shakespeare was writing Romeo and Juliet.
Speaker 1: Did you know?
Speaker 5: Dame Judy Dench won an Academy Award for Best Supporting Actress for her role as Queen Elizabeth the First, although her screen time is only five minutes fifty two seconds in four scenes, the second shortest performance to win an Oscar, behind only Beatrice Straight in Network from nineteen seventy six, who has five minutes and two seconds of screen time?
Speaker 6: Oh god, wow?
Speaker 1: Who is Beatrice Straight? Was she? Uh? I guess the wife of William Holden? And you see that? Yeah? You never saw Network?
Speaker 5: I never saw Oh.
Speaker 1: San, You've got to see it this weekend isn't that?
Speaker 5: Is that the one about We've We're not gonna take it anymore?
Speaker 1: Yes, okay, mad as hell, We're not going to take anym Yeah, that's the classic film of that era.
Speaker 5: Okay, I'll look for it.
Speaker 1: Oh God, you gotta watch that film. It's good. That's the greatest film. Tara suit Oh wait are you doing? Yeah, Tara, you're good.
Speaker 4: Yeah, all right.
Speaker 3: So lurl I sees Lenny in her car outside of the Gilmours and starts to talk to her. Carolyn says okay. Laura says me, yeah, Yeah, I'm good. It was really nice meeting you. Sorry if I talked too much during dinner. Every now and then, I just feel the need to reenact certain key scenes from Purple Rain. Purple Rain is in nineteen eighty four rock musical films, scored and scored by and starring Prince in his acting debut. Developed to showcase his talents, it contained several concert sequences featuring Prince and his band The Revolution.
Speaker 4: Did You Know?
Speaker 3: Albert Magnoli told Rolling Stone that when the concept was first brought to Warner Brothers, they suggested that John Travolta plays Prince.
Speaker 5: I can't picture that.
Speaker 1: You know what, he probably could have pulled off.
Speaker 3: I mean he could, but I feel like it wouldn't have the same effect that the film did.
Speaker 1: So so he would, but it would be it would have been.
Speaker 4: What it would have been. It would have been.
Speaker 1: But it was, but they would have John Travolta being print yeah.
Speaker 4: And singing those songs.
Speaker 2: No, Ama, No, that would have been John Travolta with like a different band, right, I mean Ton had.
Speaker 1: Prince's band.
Speaker 4: What what year was Grease? Because was is it kind of like right after seventy?
Speaker 5: That was in the seventies?
Speaker 3: Yeah, five, But they're probably coming off of like, oh, he's a big star from Greece, you know.
Speaker 4: I don't know actually, but to tell.
Speaker 1: The Prince story with John Travolta, I don't know. Was Prince any good in Purple Ring?
Speaker 7: Well?
Speaker 4: They said it was his acting.
Speaker 3: I mean I don't remember it, but I've seen it, but it's Prince like it's but maybe it's because it's his acting debut.
Speaker 4: So they were like, does he actually have the skills to act? So that's my guess.
Speaker 3: So he probably was already hired to score the film.
Speaker 1: I think John Travolta would have been a much better choice. That's really Yes, he's a fantastic actor.
Speaker 2: But.
Speaker 1: He could have pulled on he could have pulled off the dancing, obviously, he could have done the singing. Yeah, and it would have would have been a better acting performance. I mean, Prince isn't an actor. You can't just step into a lead of a film and you know, expect to do what a John Travolta can do.
Speaker 3: I just don't think that those songs would be as big today.
Speaker 4: If it was John Travolta could.
Speaker 1: Have been bigger. Maybe we would have been taught.
Speaker 4: We'll never know, we'll know.
Speaker 1: That's interesting.
Speaker 5: You're making a good effort there, But yeah.
Speaker 1: It's hard. It's hard for John Travolta to push the Prince brand, which is the point of him starting the movie. Yet Rory is sending Logan off to London with a couple of tears. Rory, I keep trying to think of fabulous things to say, but all I can think is say hi to William and Harry for me. Logan says, I love you. As William, Prince of Wales is the heir apparent of the British throne. He is the elder son of King Charles the Third and Diana, Princess of Wales. May she rest in peace. Prince Harry is William's younger brother, who left the royal family in two thousand and twenty. Did you know a few days ago Harry lost his legal challenge to have police security in the UK. Duke of Sussex had argued that he should have automatic protection for himself as his family whenever they've visited the UK from their home in California. He still has the title, but not officially. They can't call him royal anymore except a royal pain in the tushy?
Speaker 4: Do you what I just recently learned about?
Speaker 3: I learned that the royal family doesn't really have last names, Like they're a part of a house, Like he's a part of the Windsor house, but like his name's not like Harry Windsor.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I did not.
Speaker 5: I was, I guess if your royalty you don't need it?
Speaker 3: Yeah, because it's you're gonna get confused with anyone else. Duke of Sussex, I guess is your title? But yeah, I was like I was looking it up. I'm like, what's the last name?
Speaker 5: Yeah, Like I wonder, what's on his driver's license.
Speaker 4: Right, does he even have one?
Speaker 1: Or is it?
Speaker 4: You know, like, yeah, he.
Speaker 1: Better I'll tell you now he better or else he's going.
Speaker 4: To get report right sport?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 4: But like is he driving around California with Megan?
Speaker 1: I think he still has a motorcycle now?
Speaker 4: Really?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Like they yeah, they have a motorcycle.
Speaker 5: He's ubering maybe, who knows?
Speaker 4: Could you imagine picking up?
Speaker 1: Does you wear shoes anymore? He doesn't wear shoes. He grew his hair.
Speaker 3: Like, imagine pulling up the house and Prince Harry just gets into your car.
Speaker 1: I'd say, dude, dude, what's it feel like? You know, like Chuck Connors and branded to get stripped of all your titles. Well, look they made a bold choice and they're sticking to it, and you know, good for them.
Speaker 4: He's definitely getting an uber Black not New bres Alright now, we're.
Speaker 1: Gonna need it first in the last name. Yeah, for the pickup, it's Harry and house of windsor what your house is on Windsor Street? Where are you who? I can't pick you up if it's just Harry anyway? Uh, that's it, Thank you, ladies. Tara sued Suzanne French. We will see you next time. Thanks everybody, best fans on the planet. Thanks for all the downloads, keep the cards and letters coming, and always remember that we them all in. Stay safe everyone, Hey, everybody'll forget. Follow us on Instagram at I Am All In podcast and email us at Gilmore at iHeartRadio dot com.