Speaker 1: Roland.
Speaker 2: Last time I started, I got yell hey, yeah, welcome to uh the Buzz and Spring Football Tour.
Speaker 3: It's exciting, chick, You're not better than us. You have to clap a little bit. I mean, we we love that you're here. But at the same time, how amazing. Yeah, dude, I am amazing that we've done this. I'm Will Compton. Uh, this is my co host, Lawan.
Speaker 2: We got Gary Nelson on the Uh how do we say, man, the indoor facility?
Speaker 1: Indoor facility for sure. Yeah, we're at the We're at the Hawks facility.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we got to talk about that too, because isn't your guys' biggest rival the Iowa Hawk Eyes. Yeah, so why is it called the Hawks facility? You know, that's a great question. That's that's that's on the spot there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you gotta feel bad since you're like a you're a senior, right, I have no idea, to be honest with you.
Speaker 1: Really, Yeah, the idea you can have the next year if you want.
Speaker 4: I think I have two. I think I have too. So how old are you right now? We're gonna we're gonna slow balls for a second. Yeah, so you're twenty two? What's usually would make you a senior, but then you have one year more year of eligibility. You red shirted, No, you did not read shirt with shoulders like that. Why would you red shirt?
Speaker 3: And then you did COVID and what happened to COVID? You only played like four or five games. They're like, hey, you can go back those eight games.
Speaker 4: So those eight games didn't count, right, Yeah, and they came back and that was that last season.
Speaker 5: So I think I'm a senior then.
Speaker 3: So what's your So this is your last year without COVID. If COVID never happened, this would be you last year.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I'm glad. Let's get that was tough and that's worth two minutes in this thame. My head's already spinning. Yeah, so what's the plan for the new year after this? Before we get going? What do you mean? He's built like a Chevy.
Speaker 2: Our sponsor is Chevy Silverado, the hardest working truck on the plane.
Speaker 3: Again, it's truly the best vehicle out there. Shout out Chevy. Chevy hooked the boys up. They actually sent a nice little bustle with the boys made wrapped truck. Garrett Jack JP had the luxury the honor of driving it from Nashville, Tennessee to Lincoln, Nebraska. I'm sure we'll get thoughts on the thoughts on how that trip went a little bit later. But what an outstanding vehicle? What else with your dog?
Speaker 1: I'm just listening you. Where is he taking this thing?
Speaker 4: Do you drive a Chevy? Let's start that again, and let's start it again.
Speaker 1: Do you drive it? Yes? You know why.
Speaker 5: It's the best truck.
Speaker 2: It's the best, reliable, the most dependable. It's got a multi tailgate that has six configurations in it. Did you know that it has the best bed on the in the planet. What do you what else you need?
Speaker 5: Tell me? Tell me more? What else you need in that?
Speaker 2: So it's the tailgate drops down with a key fop, so you can do from inside the truck outside of the.
Speaker 1: Truck on your key fob.
Speaker 2: Don't usually do they have a step down in the tailgate that allows you to get reached farther into the bed.
Speaker 1: You can set it up. You can set up your tailgate like a desk.
Speaker 2: So if you need to do some work your tailgate, you're doing some dogs, you find some dogs or burgers, you can use it for that.
Speaker 1: Tell them. What else.
Speaker 2: We just murdered it for Chevy right there. But anyway, this whole thing is brought to I just went up, yeah hundred. But thanks for joining us. Man, are you stoked to be to sort of be on busting with the boys.
Speaker 4: This is yeah, no, this is kind of the saying I, uh, last time was insane. This is insane, dude. It's wild because I remember I was, I was falling you. I didn't know about Taylor at the time, was fawn you and I remember you saying.
Speaker 1: We've got here. Why you know it's all your fault, no question, no question.
Speaker 4: Uh. I was following you and you were kind of like kicking around the idea of starting a podcast. I remember seeing on Twitter like, hey, man, you know, I'm you know, boys, I'm thinking about doing this or whatever. I'm like, yeah, man, that's pretty sick. Taylor got introduced to the mix, got a name, got a bus, and I remember you guys talking about like getting some place to go and got a bus, bought it, and you guys, I was like, what the fuck are they going to do now?
Speaker 1: Started the podcast up.
Speaker 4: You guys had like barely any followers on your bus with the boys, podcast naturally just start right, and I was like, man, I wonder if this thing's gonna take off?
Speaker 5: Fast forward? Was it two years now?
Speaker 4: Year?
Speaker 5: Blown up? Blown up? I've been in Day one.
Speaker 4: I was gonna say, you're he's this Day one guy. It's a definition of a tier He's a Tier one O G.
Speaker 5: And No, I was absolutely crazy.
Speaker 4: Is now being on the show from uh the start of when you guys actually bought the bus, it's kind of surreal.
Speaker 5: Last night, I'm not gonna lie in.
Speaker 4: My bed thinking about the conversation we're gonna have.
Speaker 5: I was like, am I gonna be funny? Fuck?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 5: Probably not.
Speaker 4: You guys go to make terrible, terrible jokes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we talked about that before.
Speaker 4: The podcast started, about telling a terrible joke and how it's like.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, you tell a bad joke in front of your boys. It's just like the worst thing in the world.
Speaker 4: But even worse than that is when you meet somebody that you kind of look up to and you're trying to make a good impression, You trying to lay down a nice little piece of heat, and that he's instantly phenomenal NFL players guys have been playing for a long time, incredibly hard to do in the NFL in college amazing resumes that you guys have.
Speaker 5: I'm sitting here, don't even know what fucking great I'm in.
Speaker 1: Like.
Speaker 4: On twelve thirty rolls around my fuck, I gotta I gotta go to nervous like all day. Yeah, no, even worse like I was in the train tail eating food. Softball player comes up, hey or here a you're going on the bus and boys, are you nervous?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 4: Like that right here to know about busting like that? Oh bro busting softball player softball? I love that, dude. I love yeah, athlete. It's electric, no question about it.
Speaker 3: We were well, I just want to go back on on the Huskers thing where quick and how big of fans you guys are will took me to this absolute dog ship place to eatreakfast bef.
Speaker 1: We'll get into it a second.
Speaker 3: But when we were leaving, we're sitting at the light having a nice little giggle festival and I've been on the absolute giggle train this entire day and some girl damn near t bones us and I was like, if I follow you guys go in the stadium and was like, yeah, it's like if I follow you guys, we take a picture with me, and she was like, yeah, no problem, Like the chick followed us tailgate. The whole entire way was it was a terrible driver.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: We get there and she's literally shaking and she's looking of looking at me, and I'm realizing, oh, she wants me to take this photo.
Speaker 1: So I'm hey, do you want these shues? Yes? Please, So I get the.
Speaker 3: Photo of her and Willing together and then she takes like a little quick selfie of the three of us, and books made her day.
Speaker 1: Though she was all the time.
Speaker 4: I'm sure some like fans are just a football and also just personally with you guys have like said some insanely nice things to you, guys like hey man, you like my kids look up to you, roll miles stuff like that, and like that hits deep and you don't really realize what you're doing, like especially with the podcast and football and stuff like that.
Speaker 1: The thing to you, like here everyone seems so nice.
Speaker 3: And even when I when I played here against Nebraska, got that ass beat, and when as I was leaving, people are like, hey, great game, Like go get in the rest of the way. We pull up to the gas istion and the way here walk in look like a dad and son, right.
Speaker 4: It seemed like that possibly friends, yeah, or friends or more than friends. I don't know what they were, what they want, right, we don't judge.
Speaker 1: We pull in.
Speaker 4: They have a dog that's the size of his his his dog. No, no, we're talking dog steroids, bro, And we're talking to him for a little bit.
Speaker 3: And as we're leaving, like we're in the car and like Will trying to tell me where to go, which i'd been the biggest disappointment of the day before we got to know how the disappointment is going to be. The dude runs out and he goes, hey, are you Compton, And it was like, yeah, I get my phone out just in time. Dude guy sits there with the most.
Speaker 1: Pride on his chest he's ever had.
Speaker 3: He goes this game over there, only missed two games the last twenty years.
Speaker 1: I love it. Just dropped fucking on confident and Comt hits him with that. That's awesome, man. We got the tape for sure.
Speaker 4: Howard is walking with his nuts, bigd I know, right, say something for the rest of us, that's insane.
Speaker 1: It's the gas station where.
Speaker 2: You drive in on right there off of Cornhusker Road, Cornhuskar Lane. Yeah, right when you get off the highway. That's literally what it's called. Right next to Old Chicago. That gas station that sits right there, it always has a yeah you walk in.
Speaker 4: They just had this fat ass dog just sitting there. And he wasn't a fat ass dog.
Speaker 1: He was.
Speaker 4: His name's Tank. He's a little hafty. He's a little dick for sure. No, I mean he's in the upper percentile what dog should be wearing. He's probably on a diet. He probably doesn't get a lot of exercise on. You know, they're probably watching this right now somehow. They're probably illegally streaming this, illegally streaming this exactly.
Speaker 1: Find this ship. Let's let's dive into Garrett a little bit.
Speaker 2: I'm down so a few years when he was talking about following the bus and everything else. I remember, because you were what a freshman when you earns your black shirt? He earns his black shirt because he first, what's how do you how do you earn a black shirt? What does that we can ask? I was going to just say tell the story.
Speaker 4: Well, I'm asking he's in the Braska three hours he's fucking hype. I'm excited, excited. I want to learn down.
Speaker 1: You're looking at me? Why need some context on a black shirt? And my ending of the question is going to be what's it like for you to earn a black shirt? Okay?
Speaker 4: My question is how do you earn a black shirt? How do you own a black shirt? So different questions. You know, there's it's two ways ago do will stay first? So what it means to earn a black shirt?
Speaker 1: No? No, no, noist the rest he knows that, don't even, don't even.
Speaker 2: But you earn your black shirt, and you're because we have fun with it, because you're crying, you're emotional earning the black shirt, which we're going to get into. But it was one of our first like Matt Neely's meme videos because he painted a Busting with the Boys jersey on him when he's talking about what it meant to earn a black shirt, which I thought, obviously was when I first knew who you were, figured out who you were? What did it mean to earn a black shirt? And also before you get in and what it means also explain how you earn.
Speaker 1: How you get one?
Speaker 4: So how you get one is uh, specifically on the field, is how you play. I mean, talking to you guys, you already know how to play with the tanasty, the ferciousness that you do every snap, running the ball, every play, striking dudes. I mean, it's just a relentless all out and when you when somebody looks at a player like that or a defense like that, and it's just constant jerseys around the ball, dudes playing with each other, having a blash it like that. That's how you're in a black shirt every day, day in the day out cute. It's a daily rent thing. Cannot just one day show up and be like I figured it out.
Speaker 5: I got it. You're gonna get coach hard every day. You're gonna play hard every day.
Speaker 4: You're gonna do everything you possibly can one hundred percent right with one hundred percent effort. That's how you get one. When I got one, obviously, like you said, I was emotional. It was hanging up in my locker. I'm a nineteen twenty year old freshman, you know, Nebraska kid. Nebraska kid grew up watching you guys, dudes like you. Never even in my in my wildest drange way, I thought I would get one as a freshman, because like I was still trying to figure out what a fucking coverage drop was, you know what I'm saying, Like, I uh, but I mean coaches decided on it, players decided on it. Was up hanging in my locker. I came in just started breaking down in tears. Dude, I couldn't believe it. I was hugging the boys. Everybody's loving up on me, all the black shirts that were currently on the team or lemanof on me. Texted a picture my mom. She called me after practice. She was crying. She was so happy for me. Man, Yeah, it was. It was an emotional day. And I've gotten I've gotten one ever since then. And it's something that it's a lifestyle. You know about it every day everything you do, starting a podcast, going to practice, starting a family, doing homework, going the class. It's a lifestyle you do. You do everything in that legacy, in that black shirt way.
Speaker 3: So when you're when you earn the black shirt as a freshman, can the black shirt ever be taken away from you?
Speaker 1: Yes, Oh it can.
Speaker 5: Yeah. That's why I say it's a daily rent thing.
Speaker 1: God, that's it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, But usually people say that it never really happens college. In college, any school, they try to implement these types of things and because the inconsistency had coach a lot of times, that will waver quite a bit and so I didn't know it. Like at Nebraska, how long has the black shirt thing been a thing?
Speaker 5: Uh?
Speaker 1: That was a long time.
Speaker 5: Yeah. That was when they would get practice. They had four teams to go on.
Speaker 4: They get practiced ers to be red, white, green, and then black. And I can't remember it was coach Tavanny. I think he was the one that named the black shirts because the dudes that with the black practice jerseys.
Speaker 5: Were absolutely out of their mind.
Speaker 4: Wow, dudes, Oh my god, the animals, the junkyard dogs out there. Dude, those were the black Shirts. So that's when he got named. And that's that's uh. I believe how that name got got started on defense.
Speaker 2: When when he was saying asking if it can be taken away, like how is it kind of police because I know it changes from coach to coach, Like for us, we got him and sometimes we wouldn't earn him until in the middle of the year. Obviously, traditionally you would get him before the season started. I kind of forget how Mike Riley did it? I know for us, we got him stripped. I forget when we got them stripped in the end. Then we earned him back after we played. You guys, actually we earned it back after we played.
Speaker 1: But how was it?
Speaker 6: Like?
Speaker 1: How is it police?
Speaker 2: Like?
Speaker 1: How do you guys handle the whole black shirt tradition?
Speaker 4: Well, obviously we have ninety different camera angles watching film, watching practice. Guy gets up on a play, goes poems up, asking, you know, what the fuck?
Speaker 5: Not running the ball?
Speaker 1: Cannot go pomps.
Speaker 4: Especially with you guys with your job, go palms up, you get cut next day.
Speaker 1: I don't think offense. I'm gonna really do the palms up.
Speaker 3: No, it's more of a defensive thing. Yeah, like what are we doing here? Hit the clap, the claps on the lap?
Speaker 1: Oh god, hey, what are you doing?
Speaker 7: Yeah?
Speaker 1: I feel like it could be.
Speaker 2: It could be on offense if like maybe the running back doesn't make the right cutter, maybe like you block exactly the right way, but you know, the cameras on you say, you're like, oh why did you go out there?
Speaker 1: You try to pass off a twist and what are you doing? Yeah?
Speaker 2: I know defense, you do it to cover your ass for being like, Oh, I'm not the one who but this coverage.
Speaker 1: TV. Yeah, yeah, see the film. It's definitely not his fault.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we seriously, but dudes like that, watch film, see it in practice, coaches see it. I mean that next day I've seen see them get stripped middle middle of practice.
Speaker 5: No ship, no practice, them gets striped.
Speaker 1: So how many guys in the team I have a black shirt right now?
Speaker 5: Usually starting eleven?
Speaker 4: We started off with I think eight or nine, and we wait for those last two or three guys to get them.
Speaker 1: It's got to be tough to be one of those last two or three guys.
Speaker 4: To dude's motivation, though, huh, what do you wear?
Speaker 1: The white of the white of the.
Speaker 4: This depends on why a red right. This depends on that week. If defense is white, where you're white jersey or whatever. Jay's got handled shout Jay show No for sure, but Jay does Jay FOXID.
Speaker 1: Don't without saying names, what is that? What did that look like? Like?
Speaker 2: What's the example of somebody getting it stripped in the middle of practice? Like what happens? Obviously again, don't say names, but what.
Speaker 1: Is it? It's your reputation and we're not going to get effected.
Speaker 4: I was gonna before we start, I was gonna say, I swear to God if it lose eligibility, because you're podcast.
Speaker 1: It's crazy.
Speaker 2: And as you know, we protect the boys. Anywhere there's something we get that off there, we take it off. But give that example, like, is it a player thing that goes down?
Speaker 1: Is it a coach thing?
Speaker 2: Is it a is it a coach telling you, hey, Garrett, like get that, you know, step up right here, be vocal and you do it.
Speaker 1: Like what does that look like?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 4: So usually you know, if a guy's been struggling, not he has it, you know, and he's just kind of been lacking on a couple more like couple of practices a day, a practice or two, and the guy's just some like completely turned to leaf, Like what the fuck is this guy doing?
Speaker 5: He's not up to our standard anymore?
Speaker 4: You know, he's not he's not being with one of the boys that have a sure, he's not running the ball with us. He's going palms up, he's cutting dudes out. It just completely looks different. Take that ship off, man, Coaches say it too. Take that ship off man, so the players replace it. Yeah, coaches players, everybody knows we know that standard. We watched it every day on film. We want I mean, we talked about it all the time with Chins all the boys. You know, we know what, we know what looks like, we know what it is that as soon as that standards not set, he's not doing anymore.
Speaker 5: Get that ship off man.
Speaker 3: Really, so when you go through a difficulties and like you did last year going three and nine and you're losing those games by less than a touchdown in every single game, best three to win team of all time at three and nine, without a doubt, there's no question about it. But when you're not putting those getting those in the win in the win column as a black shirt, what like, how does that affect that part of the game for you guys when you guys were in to practice, Like, are you guys at a point where like, hey, we can't wear black shirts till we win or or do It's kind of like we got to keep the standard as we're a black shirt. We have to make sure that everybody standard stays a certain way.
Speaker 4: Yeah uh are you are you a Michigan boy you grow up in Michigan or no, No, I grew up in Arizona. Okay, uh being from Nebraska and then earning that black shirt. I know, and the dudes with me know that standard, like you said, with that difficult season, we it was more of keeping that standard, like you said, for everybody. You know, as soon as your leaders or your coaches start freaking out, you know, losing their minds, then as a player, your response was like, oh, fuck, you know what's going you know what's going on?
Speaker 5: What are we doing wrong? You know what I'm saying?
Speaker 4: And they never, you know, defensively wise, we never got to that point like, you know, funk, what are we doing wrong? You know, some were always looking for improvement, But it wasn't even like a freak out like fun, do we need to take these off? Like are we not upholding what Will said? Like you guys are kind of balling too. Yeah, I mean you guys were playing well yeah yeah, yeah. Especially I'm just saying as a dude, as a dude that's currently in college and knowing the legacy that like dudes like Will Levante, David and Donkin Sue you know Wish from Peter, Guys like that had that standard and won those games like you guys, did, and you know we're short, digging and coming up and we can't fucking win games. Like you know, as a player, do you look at yourself and say that you need to take those black shirts off? I mean we talked about it like fuck, dude, like we're playing well, but we're not winning games. Like what can we do? Should we take it off? Get that get more of a chip on our shoulder. See if you can make more plays, you see, we can help their offense in any way win these games. You look at yourself, you're like, man, you know, it's it's tough, but it's one of those things that, like I said, it kind of goes back to those that relentless effort. If you're doing in practice, doing in games, run to the ball, making plays, having fun, being with one of the boys, relentless. I mean, it's it's hard to take it off because they're doing the right things to keep it you know.
Speaker 2: You know, so the progress you made like this year as a defense compared to the year's past of you being on the team, Like what was the vibe that was different this year? Because yeah, you know, we went three and nine, but the defense is playing well, Like the defense is playing well. So like as a defensive player, you're in those meeting rooms and you're probably on the sideline figuring out, Hey, we have to win this game. Fuck everything else, we have to win this game. We have to figure out how to win. But how do you feel like that standard and expectation has changed from years past because you guys have played much better now as a defense versus.
Speaker 1: The mindset when you were younger, as like a freshman or sophomore.
Speaker 4: Yeah, when I was younger, obviously, like you said, you were there too. You're just trying to figure it out. You know, I'm saying, first college team, second college team, really don't know, and especially the situation that Nebraska was in, not really figuring out how to win. Still don't know how to do it. You know, what do we change?
Speaker 5: What do we do?
Speaker 4: And being a freshm and not in a leadership role, you're just trying to figure it out. But the overall vibe from difference from when I was a freshman sophomore to where I am now is just there's no A lot of dudes were in it for themselves in the sense of what can I get out of it?
Speaker 5: Instead of asking what can I do?
Speaker 4: You know what I'm saying those first two years, like I'm going to make these plays for myself because I want to go in NFL, like fuck the rest of you guys, Like I'm not going to do what Chance tells me to do or the college tells me to do.
Speaker 5: Like I'm going to go make this play.
Speaker 4: And most of the time they missed it and they didn't run to the ball because fuck that shodown.
Speaker 5: That's somebody else's job. I don't need to do that.
Speaker 4: You know what I'm saying, Just a lot of selfish play on defense, undisciplined, being out of gaps, like I said, just for persons is because fuck that that I did my job.
Speaker 5: The other guys can figure it out.
Speaker 4: Type of thing completely changed when I think it was last year with JoJo's last year, when we started playing some really elite level, really good defense, the standard got set that. Like I said, the guidelines got set clear. We understood them, they understood everybody understood them. Started playing unselfishly. We loved being around each other, loved playing defense for each other, and we knew every game, you know, there's gonna be a turnover. You know, the waves of the game gonna be a turnover. We're gonna lose morales, something's gonna happen. We always looked at each other as a defense, said we got to go win this fucking game.
Speaker 5: Somebody's got let's go make a play. Let's go get this ball out.
Speaker 4: You know, Nelly, go get a sacked, Jojo, get go get a pit, you know, hyping each other up. Love being on the field, turn it over, Let's fucking go, boys, Let's run out there, go to work again. Shit like that really amped up. Loved being on that defense. And that's I think that was kind of the shift. As soon as soon as we shifted that mentality and practice in a game, knowing that it's on fucking us, that defense, let's go win the fucking game.
Speaker 1: Something young Will Compton, he juices me up.
Speaker 4: Yeah, legit kind of get I'm seeing Will's eyes. Yea, now starts opening a little bit wider, getting more and more exciting.
Speaker 1: That was we said that a lot, let's go on this game. Yeah, exactly what you got to talk.
Speaker 3: When you're talking about how we knew as a defense there's going to be a turner where there's going to be ebs and flows in a game, Like what was the like morale like with the boys, not just on the defensive side of the ball, but with the offense, with the special teams, which Will alluded to a couple of times.
Speaker 2: You know, I'm going to note special but don't want to know with the deal, but they'll just say, you know how Will would say, yeah, you know, you.
Speaker 6: Know special teams like the Michigan game for instance, like a couple of turnovers, a couple of things that didn't go your way on the offensive side of the ball, like when you're in a position where your defense is playing at the level where you guys be playing legit bowl games, like legit ball games, not your your slappy you know buffal woldings like a real one.
Speaker 1: Yeah shot at balo.
Speaker 4: Hey that was less plate and some tasty delicious dispect Yes, yeah, that's crazy. That's such a college comment to like Tuesday night.
Speaker 2: Apples when you get when yeah about that that the week.
Speaker 1: You got that deal of the week.
Speaker 3: But when you get into a situation like what is morale Like, are you guys getting on them like hey, you got to pick your ship up, or is it kind of like, hey, we keep doing what we're doing and then hopefully the boys figure it out on their end as well.
Speaker 4: There's levels to it. Person personally, definitely broke down a couple of times. Yeah, being a Nebraska boy, loving, you know, caring as much as I as I think, I do as I do, and I mean, you guys are it is you give your everything in football, you know, broke down a couple of times.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 4: I had to call some people, call my parents, you know, called some previous coaches, high school coaches, like you know, hey, man, what the fuck is going Like? How do I deal with this? And one story that uh, that God told me. It was coach Austin's very personal story. So I'll probably I'll keep it, keep it to myself. But the basis of it was, you gotta play the next play. You gotta do it. You gotta get out of bed, no matter what happened yesterday. Gotta get out of bed. The sun comes up, you got to put the foot in front of the other one. You got to play the next play. As a defense, like you're saying, playing really well, playing your balls the wall, making these getting these sacks, making picks, playing really good, and then at the end of the day, looking up at the scoreboard and he lost like.
Speaker 1: By single digit.
Speaker 4: Yeah, crazy, how demoralizing? Every week it's like a Barr talking up a chick all night. Boyfriend comes over, Hey, honey, you're ready get it? Does punch in the nuts maids. So obviously demoralizing, broke down mentally a couple of times. But being a developmental leader, being one of the guys that dudes look up to, being one of the dudes.
Speaker 5: That play plays a lot. I will never let my boys see me.
Speaker 4: I cannot let my boys see me down, because soon as I get down, they get down, you know. Yeah, And it comes to a point where, like I said, you got to put that foot in front of another one. You got to learn lessons. Like you said every week you said the same thing. Got learn your lessons from that game. We're going to prove as much as we can. What did we miss as a defense on the field that could have helped won that game? Look at that, How do we improve it? Let's fix it that week. That's what we're going to focus on.
Speaker 2: Knowing you've lost so much senior leadership from this past class, how do you feel you're developing and trying to take that next step?
Speaker 1: Going into whether it's junior senior year.
Speaker 2: We haven't figured it out yet, but how do you like again, senior leadership's gone right? You know how much it means to you as a Nebraska guy, as somebody who's played a lot of snaps, Like, what are things you're looking at to develop like in your toolbox as a leader?
Speaker 4: I get dudes identify me prettier early on just being the person I am, Jojo decap deontay, dudes on the d line, steal guys like that. They had identified me pretty early who wants to be a guy that wants to be a leader and obviously cares a lot. They they have taught me so many lessons of how to lead, you know, the proper way to lead, how to push dudes, different dudes buttons to get them fired up. Uh, clear line of communication with everybody. Just just a ton of small lessons about leadership that did I didn't know in high school.
Speaker 5: You know, as a young kid.
Speaker 4: They developed me into a into a I think a pretty good leader now, you know, helping my boys out with communication, betwet, the coaches, lessons on the on the field, just stuff like that that those the dudes before me that we lost uh through graduations, NFL stuff that they have taught me how to be a leader, what to do when it's your time. And another another good thing that they told me was like you'll never think you're already. You just got to You just have to take it, and that even even right now, I'm a perfectionist. I don't want to think that I want to be a perfect leader. I want to do everything right. But they said that's never gonna happen. You're gonna make mistakes, You're gonna yell at somebody that shouldn't have been yelled at because he might have not been in the wrong, but you would have thought so so and then going up the Polish apologize and talking to the guy. Just different ways of communication and leading, Like how much I care is some huge that they taught me. And hopefully you know I'm projecting the boys on the team this year. Communication seems like a thing that you're pretty decent at, like looking at looking at you and how much you care and putting myself on your shoes. When I was at Michigan, like I had the same amount of care, the same amount of fire, but I didn't have the way to process it the way it seems like you're being able to process, which is pretty unbelievable.
Speaker 1: It's good, it's a good deal. Do you ever wish that?
Speaker 3: Like being from Nebraska, obviously you're a lot more invested from some of these other guys from like California or Texas or other players that didn't grow up being a huge Nebraska fan, Like, how do you get those guys to buy in the way you have? And then for other recruits coming in, like, what's your pitch to them? Saying, Hey, you guys want to come here and crush it, Like we need to get Nebraska back to ninety seven teams?
Speaker 1: What are you what's your selling point to them?
Speaker 4: Try to shout out the boys for the twelve the generations out there, especially now in the world that we live in. I don't I don't want to be fake. I want to be as real and authentic as possible. And with that, you have to say, yet, you know, obviously we're not as beautiful as a California That's that's a given. You know what I'm saying, dudes coming from palm trees and beaches one hundred percent, there's a couple of things you got here you know.
Speaker 5: That's what I'm saying. You got to be honest. This is what we have.
Speaker 4: We have absolutely outstanding fans. That is a double edged sword that they can be insane. They hard on you, and you get on Twitter you want to cry a little a couple of times, just to put put in that real quickly. That's everywhere, Like Michigan is the same way. USC is going to be the same way. Texting me the same way.
Speaker 3: Like if you're worried about passionate fans, like everybody's got passionate fans that are going to like soil you something can do it better.
Speaker 1: Sometimes that guy at the gas.
Speaker 4: Station, he probably he's probably tweeted you a couple of times a ship or something. Yea tweeted out that we need to miss the USC game. And that's true. I probably was bad putting. I do see what you mean, though. It is true is everywhere you go. It doesn't matter if you're in college with the pros. Like you type that name and you're gonna see ship.
Speaker 1: You don't like.
Speaker 5: A young game to a young kid, you don't.
Speaker 1: Know, Yeah, you don't get it as a young kid.
Speaker 4: No, No, but uh, like I said, we have great fans. We have a great facility. We have great coaches that are going to care about you not just as a development as a player, but also as a person. They want chins especially, he wants to become a man before you become a great football player first.
Speaker 5: Because you become a man, the rest will take care of itself. Uh.
Speaker 4: Like I said, outstanding fans. We have a great facility, great stadium. People show up every weekend. They're going to coach you hard. You're going to get to the next level. If you want to get to the next level, can develop you as a man as a person. And you have so many connections here and I am just with football, but ack at the mix as well. We have so many dudes that are Nebraska alum that are doing great things that you can get connection with because you went to this university. The global network and the net network we have as as a university is I don't even fully grasp how much we have. And like you said, the history of the blue the blue bloods of football Michigan, Texas, Nebraska guys like that.
Speaker 5: People who want to.
Speaker 1: Good pocket.
Speaker 4: College at college is like that that have that history of dudes going to the next level being absolute ballers here. If you want to come to be a baller, you want to come to be a man, You want to grow up and be real, not a fake tough dude or fake this, or I got to tell people I play football or I got people already know. Nobody's going to fight you in practice because they are. You know, if I fight, this guy's going to kill me. You don't have to tell when people come here and you play here and like I said, hopefully do well, like like we're playing to do. You don't need to tell anybody. And that's when Nebraska gives you because he's like that dude from Nebraska. He plays for Nebraska. Yeah, they don't I know, right, You don't need You don't need to tell people that you're the toughest motherfucker in the room because they already know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I love that. Should we set up the duke cannon? He embodies it. He embodied dude. They are hard work.
Speaker 3: With his intensity is he's alloted this on two three times, that dry ice piece.
Speaker 2: The most masculine men's hygiene in the game. They they're all about the athletes, the tradesmen, in the military of the world.
Speaker 1: This dude obviously I'm going to read it. I love that because I'll pick it up. I'll pick up the product. Question.
Speaker 4: Did you guys, Did you guys do reading like comprehension tests like when you're in grade school?
Speaker 1: Yeah? I did. I was very very.
Speaker 4: Below par speed reading and comprehension terrible. I really know how to until I was like eight. Really, I wasn't even doing well well told still turned into a competition. Me and there's a kid, There's this chick named nik Kaylin. She was like, I got two hundred and fifty words a minute. How you get going there? Ball out on a page? Get like two seventy or something like that. I was reading like a book a day, dude. I was like ripping words. Come to find out. When I was like, that's crazy.
Speaker 1: I believe this crazy motherfucker.
Speaker 4: It comes and find out seven eight ship doesn't matter. You wasted all your time, Garrett, congratulations, go ahead do the adread.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, you're here the first.
Speaker 3: Fuck it dude, all right, Duke Cannon products smell amazing. We have unique masculine sense unlike anyone.
Speaker 1: Damn it. Here we go in our category.
Speaker 3: Smells like buffalo trace, bourbon bush beer, naval diplomacy and bay rum. Duke Cannon supports veterans because every damn day we do have the receipts to prove it.
Speaker 4: Wait because causes, Duke can stick with this, becauzes cause it.
Speaker 1: That's got to be a typo.
Speaker 4: And you know what, it's not your fault, dude can because your products are amazing, just because you're not great at spelling. Let's see what else is here? Uh, they got the dry ice anti purseprint.
Speaker 1: Hold that up. Yeah, they got that. This thing right here. I gave a little whif right before we started. It tastes. Oh no, my lifeline. Yeah, she's very nice. We got you in the fall.
Speaker 5: Yeah, camera crousses as well.
Speaker 3: We got you a little pack came crosses a judge as you can pinch them and then you get that nice cooling effect in your lungs the entire time.
Speaker 1: Bloody knuckles, hand hand bomb, Yeah.
Speaker 5: That's a hand hand bomb.
Speaker 1: Yeah, thick, high viscosity.
Speaker 3: How many body, how many seas on that thick?
Speaker 1: Oh there's only one thick? How many times they don't? We got a big ass brick of soap. Yeah, which a lot of crimes.
Speaker 3: You're gonna put this stuff on your body, right, You're gonna go with those big competitors, the ones you're gonna get for the cheap prices Target, and you're gonna put on your body. Guess what, that's the Sea word all over your body. You're not gonna want that, dude. I think that excuse to you is that beautiful, amazing scent, that clean tone, and that skin, that man vibe without all those altercations you're gonna have going down the line when you turn fifty sixty years old, you're like, oh, I got lyph nodes in my arm pits and I've been using to the other room with iron and all this bullshit. Duke doesn't do that for you, homie, And that is what Duke's is all about.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think you unless you want to take it.
Speaker 4: Well, hopefully Duke's allows us to do a couple because I would love to.
Speaker 1: Hear your question. Do you want to go first? And I'll go second? Sure? This question being brought to you by Dukes.
Speaker 2: Dukes, we have this great this thing comes in like a military box and this is yours. As matter of fact, this is our this is our official first like nil kind of deal. Where we're passing off to the boys. Can we get a picture?
Speaker 5: Do I have to like.
Speaker 2: Do it?
Speaker 5: Lit bite?
Speaker 1: Maybe let me hopefully come on with Jack Jaggs.
Speaker 5: H was sick.
Speaker 1: Thanks guys, Yes, thanks, duke's cannon shallow dukes. But dude, it's so good you have the rail tonight. Some girls.
Speaker 4: God, you've ever been to the rail? No, but will was brought up three times. You close that ship down, you'll have the time of your life.
Speaker 1: Doubt it.
Speaker 5: Doubt it.
Speaker 1: I've been to I've closed a couple of places down. I had a good time.
Speaker 4: So you're telling me I'm gonna be in nebrask I'm gonna go to the rail because when I said, hey, give me the pitch, that are gonna bring guys here. If that's really what you meant you were, the first thing you would have let off with was come to the rail and then you'll find out everything you need to know. But I'm just saying, if you lead off with the bar to like project or like like, hey man, why should it come here? You've been to the rail, bro like what the rail is a great time? No, it is a great time. But if you're off with the football pitch, and go to.
Speaker 1: Also a great time. Why don't you ask the question one.
Speaker 4: Of the questions brought to us by Duke with the nil stuff, do you dabble in the nil game?
Speaker 5: I do?
Speaker 1: I do? Tell us more about that, like how does that look for you?
Speaker 4: It's been unreal, like you said, being in college and being broke, you know, or just you know, getting that check and just paying your rent and gas and you've got like thirty bucks or Chinese or something like that. Completely change the game within aisle stuff and ideals I did. I've done stuff for banks, commercials, things like that, made appearances, player profiles on different websites, things like that. Uh has completely changed the game financial profiles.
Speaker 1: Like we're talking like yeah.
Speaker 4: I made a web page, like hey, this dude sponsored our website only fans.
Speaker 5: That's high, dude. That's how I imagine. Imagine the calendar.
Speaker 1: Imagine a football calendar, like just with the football, like I would.
Speaker 2: Changing somebody like doing feet photos all the time in different locations.
Speaker 4: You're only fans of kid, no question, would you?
Speaker 1: I would, dude? I put I put.
Speaker 4: I put I clean it up, put some put some.
Speaker 1: Dukes next to it. But the first prit in between there, have you smelled? I'll do whatever you want. Where you go stuff. We're gonna say, have you smell them?
Speaker 4: Have you smell?
Speaker 1: You go like you smell Huh?
Speaker 3: That's it, dude, that's it. I would sell that for sure. I let dudes jerk off to that whenever they want to, like.
Speaker 2: That's what has to so you can't be women enjoying it.
Speaker 1: It's like I'll let dudes up to.
Speaker 4: No.
Speaker 1: I envisioned men being into my feet. Don't know why, you know, I don't know why. We'll dive into that.
Speaker 2: Time. To be honest, what is we you know? I won't ask numbers, nothing, but what is your favorite? And il deal that you're involved with? Two questions, it's a two parter.
Speaker 4: Uh probably the first National bank right now they did UH player profile me on the website and they did a commercial of how I grew up with uh agribusiness, agriculture, corn cows, stuff like that.
Speaker 1: You gotta respect it. You gotta respect the ship out of that, dude.
Speaker 5: I have to. If you don't. If you don't, then what you know?
Speaker 1: What do you don't come here? You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: If you don't respect that don't come to Nebraska. You know what another cool thing is, Like you said, those dudes from Cali and Oregon and wherever else, they come here and culture me because I don't know what the fuck's going on, you know what I'm saying. I know, like I said, I came from a place more cows than people.
Speaker 2: Right, Well, Nebraska is like the last place that gets the information.
Speaker 4: Like I just got Color TV a couple of months ago, like the Ship's wild, oh, a.
Speaker 1: Couple of months ago. Yeah, this is crazy.
Speaker 4: I feel like I feel like recruiting numbers is gonna go through the roof, going through the fucking roof.
Speaker 2: For these boys. I just got a Color TV. No, you gotta come and the like he said, you got a culture and you gotta teach him.
Speaker 5: Culture me every day, man, just like you do with them. You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: The guys from Compton and Florida, they teach me. They teach for things every day, man, And I love that, you know what I'm saying. That's what I love about college football. Man become boys for that way.
Speaker 2: I would say like Nebraska's one of the bigger melting pots in the country because here in Nebraska. I mean, obviously you came from here, but recruiting wise, you have to hit all You have to hit both coast, you have to hit the South, you have to did everywhere because I mean, you're obviously one of the exceptions. But they're not all growing in your backyard like they are in Florida and Texas and California.
Speaker 4: Probably I wasn't even growing. Nobody recruited where I was from. I had to like go to camps. Really no, I was the first. I think I was the first scholarship player since Frosty Anderson, which was like sixty or some years, not half the state.
Speaker 1: Fuck man.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so I had to, like, I had to like go, I had to be there instead of like just playing football. And yeah, you know what I'm saying. All Right, my duke's my duke's question. It's probably better dukes put it on your feet. So obviously, you guys had a Martinez Martinez is your quarterback last year.
Speaker 3: First off, don't know why Nebraska always has Martinez Is. But you said of Martinez when I was at Michigan, he transfers you have a new quarterback come in. What are the differences between those two guys that you see from like a leadership standpoint, a play standpoint, just going through spring ball.
Speaker 4: From Martinez one to two. Yeah, I never knew the first Martinez.
Speaker 2: About something about the new Casey who were about to tag team after we get done.
Speaker 5: I don't know if you've got enough Duke's palm for that, dude.
Speaker 1: No, we got plenty of the.
Speaker 4: Uh. Just leadership from his standpoint. Obviously, I've never seen him play besides uh at Texas and just watching a film on him. But this fall, obviously some questions will be answered, and I'm sure it will be happy to answer those with the performance that you will have. But just from leadership aspect and perersonal aspect, uh he Casey uh seems to be a lot more involved immediately with offense, with not just everybody but offensive dues, defensive dudes, special teams.
Speaker 5: He wants everybody to be.
Speaker 4: Like I said, we have that defensive standard, that black shirt standard. He sent the standard right away day one. We're not gonna take any more ship. We're not offensive lineman running down hills, are covering running backs, gona run hard. I'm gonna do my I'm gonna be in the film room every day. I'm gonna be giving my all. You know, when he's practicing on the practice field, having that standard and that guy being your leader and also your hardest worker, that's when you're that's when teams start becoming great and getting over that hump instead of being three to nine and you know, we double digit win team. That's the most immediate impact that I've seen from Casey and his and it's worked spectacularly six practices in and he continues to lead, he continues to have that fire. He wants the ball, he wants to go score and give you know, throw passes up to his boys to go, you know, get a six yard bomb and do the gritty or something, you know, do.
Speaker 1: The gritty man.
Speaker 5: There's always a new one. There's always in.
Speaker 4: The last two years that there has been kind of running strong. Yeah, it's what was the one before that? That JJ Whitehead in the end zone he said the Texans, you remember that.
Speaker 5: I don't I don't.
Speaker 1: Like to watch anything J. J. Watt does at all.
Speaker 4: That's kind of it's kind of shipty talking to offensive lineman because I'm the dude that rushes them all the time. So there's like that that hate that stint.
Speaker 7: I gotta go past against his dude right now, it seems like he was you can get I'll go put some on, get some work you power rush guy.
Speaker 5: Maybe pure speed.
Speaker 1: Speter power guy. He's a mix baby.
Speaker 5: It's called the hybrid, a little bit of both. It's a different breed a white athlete nowadays.
Speaker 4: Ayden Hutchinson the brass. Get the pass rush dude, Yeah, that's the way you get hey. Of course, who cares about playing the run.
Speaker 2: Gets on that play action pass, try to get that sack. That's the worst player to play against. Yeah, it's the worst. You know, it's tough when you have month.
Speaker 5: When you get the action passed.
Speaker 4: As for you guys, suck huh worst, hardest block for you guys.
Speaker 3: Don't get me started off the worst. I'd rather go one on one pass pro all day. Don't have to play action block.
Speaker 7: Rough.
Speaker 4: That's funny. That was a huge ops for the boys on the edge. Gotta get those miss those miss those bunnies.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but thanks for coming on, man, I can't wait to interview uh Casey and then yes, Scottie Frost and Chin's coming on, which I'm sure Chins will have phenomenal.
Speaker 4: I've been entertaining enough you post on Twitter. I hope that's just a lot of boys having a good time laughing. That's what I'm envisioning right now, making speaking in existence because a shitty episode. Sorry boys, dude, dit up for everybody else, like we're never doing the Spring tour.
Speaker 1: No, no, no, you did really good, bro, Thank Chevy.
Speaker 3: Thanks you, Duke, thanks you, thanks you Will and Taylor, Will and Taylor thanks.
Speaker 5: Thanks you guys.
Speaker 4: Honestly for considering this has been sick man considering you.
Speaker 1: No brainer, bro. Yeah, the people spoke. Let's do one of these photos. Subscribe Subscribe
Speaker 2: M