Speaker 1: I miss a green for example, I'm already upset. When I find my ball in the bunker, I'm really upset. And when I find my ball.
Speaker 2: In a bride egg Friday Egg, the dreaded Frida Egg, Frida Egg, fridaggg, Frida Egg, bride Egg, Lie.
Speaker 1: I'm about ready to run off of the hump.
Speaker 2: Hello and welcome to the Friday Egg Podcast. My name is Garrett Morrison and I'm here today with Andy Johnson.
Speaker 3: How's it going, Andy, Garrett, it's uh, it's wonderful. Just uh ready for another week. I'm ready for the women to open this week and uh, you know, just daydreaming about return trip to Scotland.
Speaker 2: Yeah, when is that gonna happen? Probably not this year, Yeah, probably not. It's it's to go to all the places that we need to go to.
Speaker 3: Yeah, travel's travels. It's been a lot of travel. So yeah, I think I don't want to broach this subject with Missus Fridegg of another trip to Scotland without her.
Speaker 2: As far as she's concerned, You're never going back to Scotland again.
Speaker 1: No, no, no, she knows I got to go back.
Speaker 2: That wouldn't that wouldn't be realistic. But you made your first trip there recently and that's what we're going to talk about today. This will in fact be a two part podcast because you saw so many great places in the whatever it was ten days that you were there, and so today we're going to talk about Mirfield Golan Golf Club numbers one and two and eee. So those are the three courses or three facilities that we're going to talk about, but you saw a number of other courses while you were there. We'll address those in the second part of this post. Now, you are in the midst of writing a series about your trip to Scotland, and that's more of like a travelog, right You're you're describing sort of your experiences in golf and outside of golf while you were in Scotland. So you're doing that. These podcasts will be focused a little bit more on design. That's the basic plan, right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think that's the plan.
Speaker 3: Obviously, some stuff will probably spill into one and the other, but you know, the writing it's been fun to do something a little bit different than just the hardcore course analysis is fun, you know. Obviously doing the trip with Brendan poor Ath, you know, you find yourself in some humorous moments and and and bringing some of those to life, like like him being being confused for Rory McElroy five foot eight Rory McElroy and six Brendan poor ath like it was.
Speaker 2: Why did you get a sense for why people thought he was or why this person thought he was Roy McElroy.
Speaker 1: No, I so this happened.
Speaker 3: This happened while I was walking to the terminal for my connecting flight, and Brendan told me like the guy like came up to him and in the best, the best, my favorite part of the whole story was like Brendan's like at the end of it, he was like, hey, good luck next week and walked away and then like got got back to his kids and family and they were like pointing at Brendan, and Brendan thus vacated the problem.
Speaker 1: He had to leave.
Speaker 3: And then when he returned for boarding, that's when when the guy's kid asked for selfie and Brendan's like, listen, I am not Rory McElroy.
Speaker 2: He was forced to acknowledge it. So you wrote about this incident in your first Scotland Journal, which is already live on the site. But uh, yeah, for people who can't picture this or haven't seen Brendan Porath before. Brendan's like six'. Four he is a tall human. Being rory McElroy is like five.
Speaker 3: Six, yeah doesn't have curly, hair like it doesn't look anything like.
Speaker 1: Him they're both.
Speaker 2: White that's that's about the extent of the. Similarities so, uh completely bewildering. INCIDENT i.
Speaker 3: Mean the other funny thing is Like rory's like probably pretty close to being.
Speaker 1: A billionaire at this, point and.
Speaker 3: You, know like he would not be flying like a Commercial united flight Through dulles Like group Four.
Speaker 2: United, yeah that's not Where rory is these.
Speaker 1: Days so it was it was a humorous start to the.
Speaker 3: Trip so, yeah it's fun to write about a few things that happened and some of the characters along the way and and some of the games and and different.
Speaker 1: Things but but it was a great. Trip it Was it was really.
Speaker 3: Fun the courses were were delight, WELL i think like THE i think one of the Things i've thought about a ton is, like is the architecture that much better there or do the conditions just allow the architecture to play so much? Better and, LIKE i think that's probably a good jumping off point is like some of the architecture is is you, know, amateur.
Speaker 1: Rudimentary in its.
Speaker 3: Nature BUT i think what you, know the, conditions whether it's the wind or the firmness and speed of that of that fescue, turf that it just makes so much of the stuff come more alive and be more. Relevant it makes the bunkers play much bigger, it you, know and it also you, know the the fact that you have to play to the fronts of greens all of a sudden make everything way more you, know in play right that front left In america and when it's ninety degrees and human and superintendents have to play defense on their golf courses like we're we're just trying to keep things. Alive like you, know when you put a back right, pin the front left bunker is like not relevant at. All but In, scotland where you're thinking about like, Okay i'm hitting a wedge AND i have to land this on the front edge and the bent pins back, right that front left bunker all a sudden is really. Relevant and playing putting yourself on the left side of the, fairway you, know causes some distress in your in your, mind because you have to deal with that. Bunker SO i think that's like one of my first big takeaways is you, know and this ISN'T i don't know if the you, KNOW i think there are some places where the architecture is significantly better or. Great is great architecture maybe not significantly, Better BUT i think in a lot of, sense a lot Of american courses are better, designed but they don't have that ingredient of the the playing conditions that allow them to actually be better golf courses.
Speaker 2: And just the, land, right, yes because it's the land that allows the playing, conditions first of all to be. Great it's the nature of the soil and the seaside terrain that a lot of these courses are. On but also you, know you're next to the ocean and you've got this, great undulating often surface to play, on and in a lot of, ways that's more important than. Architecture. Right that overwhelms the importance of architecture to the degree that maybe design doesn't.
Speaker 1: Matter as much.
Speaker 2: Anymore is that kind of what you're.
Speaker 3: Saying, Yeah, Yeah and it's like little things like you, know you Play North barrick and we are going to talk About North barrick, here but like you tee off on the second hole and you look at the fair away and it's just like, wow you, know it's running like, crazy and there's all these little like boumps in and mounds and and you know they're just effectively grass over sand that's been blown, around and it's, like you know that combined with like it's just that's the stuff that's you, know irrepupacable and in.
Speaker 1: You know THAT i just butchered that. Word but in.
Speaker 3: For and, uh Like, kansas in the middle Of, kansas you can't have. That like Obviously Prairie dunes has some of, that but like you, know for most metro, Areas atlanta just doesn't have that, right and they don't have the the the weather with like the.
Speaker 1: Cool pretty much.
Speaker 3: Cool it was pretty warm some of the days we were, there but the cool weather in the sand to have the playing conditions that they. Have SO i think like the first thing About scotland and just in general is like it's just a it's a marvelous place.
Speaker 1: To maintain a golf.
Speaker 3: Course and you, know and especially if you're playing the seaside links, courses you, know you have everything you want for a low, input phenomenal playing.
Speaker 2: Surface, yeah you, know and a lot of these courses that you played are in a way pre golf. Architecture, yes you, know golf architecture wasn't really architecture until somebody had to come in and make changes in order to adapt a particular piece of land to. Golf at a lot of courses In, scotland there wasn't much adaptation necessary therefore there wasn't much architecture. Necessary there was design that went into placing the tea's and the greens and you, know laying out the, course but they weren't moving much earth or having to do things to the soil in order to make it play in an ideal way because the land was already. Ideal and, so you, know looking for golf architecture at a place LIKE, eee you, Know i'm not sure that's the. Point you, know it's a designed golf, course but it's not an architected golf. COURSE i, know that's not a.
Speaker 1: WORD i don't.
Speaker 3: KNOW i Think eli's, got you, know a pretty sophisticated, routing you, know if we want to and that's.
Speaker 2: Design that's What i'm referring to as. Design architecture when i'm you, know this is What mackenzie makes this. Distinction i'm not sure it's like a legitimate. Distinction somebody could argue me out of, this but an architect comes into play when you're moving stuff, around when you're having to do complex things in order to adapt a site to.
Speaker 3: Golf that makes. Sense, YEAH i think that's the. Thing is so much of it's just found, right it's the golf.
Speaker 1: There it's.
Speaker 3: FUNNY i went to the beach with the day AFTER i got back with my family and it, was you, know Northern california beach and it's just like sitting in these sand dunes AND i just was looking at, it you, know AND i was, like, well this would be a golf.
Speaker 1: Course, scotland you, know, yeah.
Speaker 3: Exactly and it's a it's a beach in Northern. California so the, weather you, know it's pretty much like sixty degrees there all year. Round you could probably have you, know it's like where this is protected. Land this is A national park beach That i'm, at you, know In, scotland this might be a golf course and be one of the best golf courses in the, world you, know it's just the nature you look, at like the way the. Same it's just, like, oh this would be, perfect you, know, cool cool, weather constant wind and uh and sand.
Speaker 2: Dunes well that's sort of our, INTRODUCTION i, suppose why don't we get To. Merefield this is the home of The Honorable company Of Edinburgh, golfers which Predates merefield by quite a, bit. Right it's one of the sort of original golf, clubs but they moved to from one site to another in their early.
Speaker 3: DECADES i think this is a little bit confusing For americans because we don't really Have but you, know the best way to describe it is the. Club you, know if you talking about the group of, people it's The Honorable company Of Edinburgh. Golfers if you're talking about the, place the golf, course It's, meerfield.
Speaker 2: Right the club is not necessarily the same as the, place, yes whereas In, AMERICA i mean it's almost always the case that the club is the. Place.
Speaker 3: Yeah so in the in the one of the reasons is that this, place this this club has a lot of history before it settled On, meerfield as it's is long term home and it it shared spaces before it got To, merefield so it wasn't like they had other courses that were exclusively the exclusively theirs before they got. There but obviously extremely historic, place a historic club and. Place uh it was the you, know the first place they wrote the first rules of. Golf you, know that's how they had the first golf competitions with The Silver, club you know trophy that you, know they had like the first trophy in. Golf they were fundamental in getting The Cleric jug. Made they have A cleric. Jug they're one OF i think five or, six you, Know they've multiple people told me. This i'm, SORRY i can't remember five or six places that have their own Clert.
Speaker 1: Jug you.
Speaker 3: Know so this is a this is a fundamental golf course and club In scotland and obviously it'll be the host this week of THE Aig Women's. Open historically has been a club that did not have women members. It you, KNOW i think you, know they had they had been removed from The OPEN rota after twenty, thirteen AND i think part of the mandate was to adapt with the times into the club's. Credit they have done that and they're hosting this week AND i think that you, KNOW i think one of the things you'll see them kind of back into the open rota AND i think they're going to host a lot more women's open going, forward and that's wonderful because you, know you could make an argument that this is the most well put Together scottish links course that there.
Speaker 2: Is, yeah we were talking earlier about how a lot of courses In scotland are kind of like made before the period when golf architecture had advanced to a, POLISHED i suppose. Level i'm not saying that's, better but that's just what it. Was but before golf architecture truly became ultra. Professionalized merefield is not an example of.
Speaker 3: That.
Speaker 2: Right this is a well built golf, course or a golf course built in the modern way as that was understood in the. Twenties and that's because it was completely redesigned By Harry colt in the early.
Speaker 1: Twenties.
Speaker 2: Right the original course At meerfield was routed designed by Old Tom.
Speaker 1: Morris it was on a, small small plot of, land.
Speaker 2: A small piece of, land, yeah kind of pretty short holts really for the most, part and traveled in more or less a counterclockwise route around the. Property it started Hosting open championships, early but the First open championship that it, held it actually got kind of shelled by the standards of the period that there were some low scores at THE i think it was the eighteen ninety Two, open and so it was not a super well regarded course after it. OPENED i think that the general consensus on it is that it, was you, know somewhat unappealing and not all that. Challenging, well, okay maybe its reputation kind of changes as it evolves over the next couple of. DECADES i don't know that much about, That but WHAT i do know, is of, Course Harry colt came in in the early twenties and redesigned it completely made it into more or less the golf course it is.
Speaker 3: Today the club OBTAINED i think it was fifty additional acres of, land and when they did, that that's when they. Redesigned they Brought colt in to completely redesign the golf course and at that point that's Where deerfield then. Ascended and if you know anything About Harry, Colt Harry colt is really the you, know we don't talk about him a lot In, america and that's because he didn't design a lot In.
Speaker 1: America what he did was he.
Speaker 3: Hired people Like Charles, Allison alistair mackenzie worked For Harry colt for a. While but those guys did the. Traveling Harry colt he didn't like to leave THE, uk you. Know so if you go to THE, uk there's lots Of Harry colt golf courses and And Harry colt has designed and been a part, of you know of places like figuring out and putting together the final product Of Pine valley And Royal county down you, know like he he has he is, yeah and Obviously, mirfield so he, has he has A his roster of golf.
Speaker 1: Courses is just.
Speaker 3: Extraordinary and he's not well known In america because he didn't design a lot of courses In. America but this, guy if you go over to THE, uk he, is you, know the bee's, knees he's you, know you, know the the. Guy so and one of the things that was he was fundamental in in golf course architecture history was he was the first one that really made golf architecture of. Profession, so you, know In, america guys like McDonald at the, Time tilling hast are building, courses but they are extraordinarily wealthy individuals who are kind of just doing it for. Fun they're doing it building courses for their, friends their rich. Friends Harry colet was the first one that kind of formalized the, profession started charging. Fees built a firm out to a business around, this so that, is you, know kind of like an he was a professional golf. Architect mierfield brings him in and they built like it's a really well thought of golf. Course it's you, know one of the things immediately and obviously the land there is different than a lot of links. Land but one of the things That mierfield doesn't. Have it's got a routing that moves a lot of different, directions as opposed to like you, know the old course you saw at the open it plays out and, back you, know with the loop is a place where it kind.
Speaker 1: Of jogs around a different.
Speaker 3: Direction But merefield it plays counterclockwise around the edge of the property and then it plays the opposite direction back around the inside of the property clockwise around the inside of the.
Speaker 1: Property so like it might be reversed from, THAT.
Speaker 3: I think it's. Clockwise it is. Clockwise the you know something that threw me for a. Loop The scott say anti closs top.
Speaker 2: Clockwise, yes, yeah that's a that's that throws me off as. Well yeah, No but suffice it to, say the h one nine goes one direction around the perimeter and the next nine goes the other direction around the. Interior and this is sometimes referred to as the merefield. Routing right when other golf courses emulate this basic routing, arrangement people often look at that and, say, oh that's a merefield. Routing so it's really identified with this golf.
Speaker 3: Course the one hole on the golf course that stands from that old tom routing is the second. Hole so it's a really neat hole. Too it's got great, strategy you, know it's got the wall that sits on the on the, green it's got the boundary line up the, left it's got bunkers on the.
Speaker 1: Right it's a it's a really neat little.
Speaker 3: Hole the first hole's job really is to just get you, out and the second is where you start to encounter some really interesting. Land like the first hole is super, flat you, know it's hard because it's you, know pretty narrow and, long and it plays into a prevailing, wind but then that second hole really introduces you to the ground and the types of things that you'll see throughout the rest of the golf. Course but so they this routing that they, Constructed like the thing that it does is it's constantly moving different, directions so the wind is never you, know you're not playing the same wind hole after hole after, hole and then you switch and you play the same relatively same wind hole after hole after. Hole, Right so that's one of the big things that it does. DIFFERENTLY i think the other thing THAT i noticed a lot with With mirfield is it has a little bit more eccentric. Greens you, know it's got some more you, know you get out. There the fifth hole is an. Example it's got like kind of a two tiered. Green the you, know you go on that stretch of golf from really like five through through, eighteen and there are some really neat greens in that, stretch like the eleventh THE i, mean the fifteenth has a great, green the seventeenth is a really deep punch bowl kind of. Green but they have some a little bit more like you can tell professional, greens, right they aren't just kind of like how the land sits or a built up plateau like are. There they have different pockets that impact strategy as you go back and relate back to the. Hazards they aren't just, like, oh let's dig a bunker.
Speaker 1: Here the bunkers are the other. Thing Like colt was really.
Speaker 3: Known for his cross, bunkers and At mirfield you see these. Bunkers they have them that sit across. Fairways you, wonder, oh like if you looked at it On Google, Earth you're, like how does that? Relate but they have profound impact because of the turf and the speed of the. TURF a great example is the eighth hole. There it's a par, four it's a big. One it's on the corner of the. Property like you, know it's kind of the end of your loop around the. Property and you, know you have these cross bunkers that sit probably about thirty yards twenty five yards thirty yards in front of the green and they're built. Up they obscure your view of the green a little. Bit you can still see the. Green one of the big things At. Mirfields there's only one true BLIND sot, shot but there are a lot of like semi obscured blind, shots like where they're partially, blind and this is one of, them and you're hitting and like you, know In, america these these bunkers would have note you just hit it to the, green but everything pitches. Down you, know everything's running away with the. Property and, really you, know you need to land the ball just barely over those bunkers and then it runs into the green and if you, land if you fly it to the, green you're probably going to end up over the green and there's a bunker back.
Speaker 1: There you, know you can get yourself in some.
Speaker 3: Trouble but you, know for the most, part going past the, green as long as you miss that bunker is a pretty simple pitch. Backup AND i don't think a lot of people will hit them into. Them but when you give them the wide, berth what ends up happening is you end up over the green and you you cost yourself a chance at making a.
Speaker 1: Three you.
Speaker 3: Know, likewise like you, know the tenth hole has got a great it's a it's a big part. Four it's a good example of like you wouldn't think these cross bunkers that are like fifty five or sixty yards from the green have any relevance to the whole until you miss the fair.
Speaker 1: Away and if you miss the, fairway then.
Speaker 3: All of a sudden where you want to get your ball, to which is like you want to try and like you're hitting out of the like thick. Ruff you want to just try and run something up by the. Green all of a sudden you're, like, WELL i. CAN'T i got to lay up back of these cross, bunkers and like then all of a, Sudden i've got a full shot In and this got like way more, complex like making a par became a very. Difficult like you, know you think about pro golf like hid it in the, Rough like you see these guys they just hack it up there by the green and then their short games are so good they get up and. Down these bunkers prohibit your ability to get up. There uh and and so you start to see these crossing hazards and how they impact play and how they emphasize different aspects of. It you, know they have other Cross we just talked about two bunker bunker complexes that cut all the way across the. Fairway you, know they also have them to cut in on, diagonals and the qualth hole is like a great example of that is a shortish part for it plays into a prevailing. Wind but you know the way the green relates to, everything you want to push it up towards that left side to keep you, know to make your approach into the green a better angle and to use the slope of the green to your. Advantage but like you need to get kind of close to. Those and the thing about these bunkers why they're so. Intimidating they're, tiny, right and being tiny little pot, bunkers you get really bad lies in. Them you can get into some spots like really like the worst, thing the worst feeling is when you see your ball just like trickling towards the bunker and you see it just like slowly drop in because you know you're on an.
Speaker 1: Edge right and they aren't going.
Speaker 3: Anywhere but the other aspect about these, bunkers and you saw it a lot at The open At St andrews at The Old, course they play really. Big you, know the contouring around them swallows up balls with the speed of the. Turf so these bunkers play lot bigger and they exact huge. Penalty like a lot of times you're just like you're chipping, out you're hitting an explosion shot like you would hit around the green out to just chip it, out you. KNOW i think that's the big thing With mierfield is, like you, know the bunkers and the rough exact a huge penalty out, there and it's it's really a golf course that you have to drive the ball.
Speaker 1: Extraordinarily, well so what you've described is kind of a well designed. Course yes that there is some architecture that has gone into this course From Harry colt and that sort of makes it stand out in a way from a lot of the very much older courses In. Scotland not saying it's better or, worse it's just a. Thing it's.
Speaker 2: Different, yeah it's, different all. Right so With, Mierfield i've always sort of been puzzled about this course because there's a big gap BETWEEN i think how Meer field appears to a distant, viewer how you might react to pictures of, it and how you might react to it being on television like it was at the twenty Thirteen, open and how players who have been to the course talk about. It many players say this is one of the very best courses in the. World this place is. Incredible but WHEN i look at pictures of the course that doesn't immediately jump out to me the way it does at Say Royal County down Or Royal Port, rush where, clearly oh my, god what an incredible spectacular. Course meerfield is the land is more. Subtle it's not right next to the. OCEAN i know these are sort of shallow impressions of somebody who hasn't been. There But i'm just wondering whether in your visit there you saw what really pushes it over the. TOP i mean a lot of courses are strategically, Sound so what Makes meerfield so, special you, know to make people react to it the way they?
Speaker 1: DO i think that.
Speaker 3: Obviously golf architecture today driven by, photos you, know like people looking at, photos is so much of it centers around dramatic features that photograph, well like when you have dramatic, features you get the big shadows as in you, know you, know they pop and people, say, WOW i can't wait to play that. Place and somebody that has capitalized on dramatic, features you, know is the like The, kaisers like the sand valley banded. Dunes they are filled with these dramatic dunescapes like and, meanwhile there are. Courses if you go down the list of of courses like the best course in the, world a lot of the stuff is a little bit more. SUBTLE a lot of the best features for golf are, Smaller, Right it's the the little, undulations the little rolls that are really. Great, like you, know when you have these big, features big dramatic dunes and big, hills like balls end up in the same. Spots when you have the little, features the ball can kind of roll and pinball around and end up in different places more so than when you have Like i'm either on top of the hill Or i'm down on below the. Hill you, know you get much more random. Bounces AND i think that's the thing With, mierfield is that from the eye from drone photos, especially a lot of stuff gets. Flattened it's just these little, movements these little changes the way the course just kind of moves slightly different. Directions like your brain is always, thinking like you're highly engaged on every shot out. There AND i think that's the thing about, it, right is that there aren't any spots where you could take. Off sometimes when you have big, movement, right you're, thinking IF i just get it over that, hill it's going to shoot down and it'll end up. Here right At, Mirfield you're constantly worried about where the ball is going to end up because it's a little bit more you, know you have to really plot your way around, there and it's not you don't feel like you can take any shots really.
Speaker 2: Off do you think that's what's going to make it a compelling place for The Women's open this?
Speaker 1: Week?
Speaker 3: Yeah, ABSOLUTELY i think you, know the way the ball reacts on the ground, there you have to have such control of your golf, ball and where we're talking about the most accurate players in the. World professional women golfers are extraordinary at driving the golf, ball and this is a golf course that demands precision off the, tee demands you to be in the right places and then from, there you, know the approach shots are much more manageable when you're in the fairway and you have control of your golf. Ball that being, said you, know with the greens being a little bit more well thought, out you have spots where you have to be in certain places to. Attack SO i, think like everything with the women and and the way the, turf the turf conditions and the design you know their their shots are really gonna come alive out there in the in the people that are playing the right.
Speaker 1: Shape you.
Speaker 3: Know that's the THING i think With links golf, too when you combine wind and the speed of the, turf it really matters to hit the ball the shape and the trajectory you. Want you, know if you're gonna try and hit a, Cut if you're trying to hit a cut seven iron into a green and you catch it a little on the toe and it draws and it carries two yards further and has the hook spin you end up over the, green then that's the really cool thing About links. Golf and and when the when the turf conditions come alive with championship golf is that it Doesn't it's not just about hitting good. Shots it's about hitting great shots and hitting the right. Shot and that's what's gonna be so fun to watch with the women because you're gonna, see, hey who's driving the ball?
Speaker 1: Great and AND i think, it you, Know, Mike.
Speaker 3: My qualm With mierfield would be that the rough is is a little too. Thick they have a lot of pride in they're thick, rough WHICH i think is is kind of.
Speaker 1: Silly it removes some of the.
Speaker 3: Heroics of recovery that you that is so great about. Golf but with the, WOMEN i think the fairways are actually a very appropriate test and like you, know with a with a little bit tighter, dispersion it's a it's a wonderful place where like you, know it's not just gonna be a driving test because like these the best women in the world can go out there and they could hit every fair, away AND i think that's always a good. Thing like if you drive the ball, well you're you're going to pass the test with flying. Colors but then from there it you have to pass the approach. Test you have to pass you, know you have to be really good around the greens and you have to put well, right that to me when something's not a, Prerequisite and driving accuracy for the women won't be a prerequisite because they're such good driver of the golf, ball, right you have to drive the ball, well you, know and if you drive the ball, extraordinary you will you can hit every.
Speaker 2: Fairway it'll also be a prerequisite not to have any super wild, drives which applies a little bit of, pressure, right you can't make a big mistake or you're going to really pay the price with that rough out. There but, YEAH i mean so your objection to the rough would mostly be for everyday amateur, Play.
Speaker 3: Yeah, exactly LIKE i you, know one of the, Players i'll keep them. Nameless like in our, group it was right off the, plane didn't have a good driving, day and you, know all day we were just looking for golf balls and that's not really. Fun and you, know like you we went and played eight other. Places this wasn't an issue anywhere, else and including the old course that had Just hope hosted The Open. Championship you, know, so, like to, me looking for off balls is perhaps the worst aspect of. GOLF i, like don't ask for help looking for, myball BECAUSE i don't want to help people look for their.
Speaker 1: Ball you, know it's a it's an awful aspect of. Golf and what.
Speaker 3: Happens and this is a little bit of the case With Prairie dunes, too and some other course In. America but like what happens is like you've got this great design and in a way it's ruined because it's like both both sides of the fairway or, ponds you, know and it's like an inevitable lost ball or out of bound stakes even worse if you're playing really, rigorously rigorously by the, rules like it's like out of, bounds you can't find your ball and you're you, know you hit it there and you're going back to the, tee and and that THAT'S i, think my, big my big, Uh LIKE i would Hold mirfield at a in a higher regard if they had more manageable. Rough and and from What i've gathered this, year the rough is about is managible as it's got ever ever.
Speaker 1: Been.
Speaker 2: Yeah that the famous list Of Alistair mackenzie's principles of golf, architecture the eighth one is there should be a complete absence of the annoyance and irritation caused by the necessity of searching for lost. Balls and you, know you don't have to agree with all Of Alastair mackenzie's, principles BUT i think that's a pretty solid. One we all know that feeling of searching for a ball that's just off the fairway but you can't find it all of a. Sudden that is a kind of unnecessary unpleasantness in. Golf and it has to be, said a lot of. Links courses in THE uk And ireland right now have been growing rough. Recently it is something that you hear from people who live there and play a lot of. Golf there's more and more, big, juicy sort Of american style rough and we could really do without.
Speaker 3: THAT i think from PHOTOS i, SEE i Think ireland has the plague of thick rough the. Most it seems like look at the rough there AND i look at. It it's like one yard off a thirty yard wide fair away And i'm, like oh my, god like you possibly find your ball in.
Speaker 1: There you, know these are just.
Speaker 3: PHOTOS i haven't met over, there so you, know but, like just from PHOTOS i, see.
Speaker 1: It just looks looks. AWFUL i.
Speaker 3: Think one THING i do want to talk about is like we've talked a lot About Harry, cole But Tom, simpson another great architect That americans don't really know, about made huge contributions At. Meerfield he took out a bunch of bunkers when he came in the NINETEEN i think nineteen thirty, three he renovated the course a little.
Speaker 1: Bit he came to assess. It he took out a bunch of.
Speaker 3: Bunkers he added a bunker on the ninth, hole which you'll hear about The simpson bunker in the. Approach it's kind of like right where you want to hit. It it's a brilliant. Bunker and then he moved the thirteenth. Hole so one of mere fels iconic par. Threes it's it's it's a, gorgeous gorgeous green. SITE i mean it's a. Green it's just a Quintessential lynks. Green it just sits in par three, green it sits in a. Dune it's got bunkers and it's just you, know it's a jaw droppingly beautiful par. Three the thirteenth that is his. Whole he designed that. Completely and, uh just another one of the one of the things in the clubhouses is they have Some Tom simpson's, sketches which he was.
Speaker 1: Like the the Great Golden age golf artist of all of.
Speaker 2: Them his sketches are beautiful and he's also a Great he was also a great thinker about golf course. Architecture the Book The Architectural side Of golf is a must.
Speaker 1: Read yeah you have my? Copy been? One DO i have your?
Speaker 2: Copy? Yeah YOU'RE i THOUGHT i bought my.
Speaker 1: Copy you're a book. Book you know you Give garrett.
Speaker 2: You have my copy Links land By Michael. BAMBERGER i Do you. Didn't you didn't give that back to.
Speaker 1: Me we traded. THAT i bought your. Spy no you. Didn't that's that was the TRADE i.
Speaker 3: GOT i got Links, Land you got the architectural side of.
Speaker 1: GOLF i remember.
Speaker 2: Distinctly all, right, well we need to trade back at some, point but in any, case it's A it's an amazing, book And Tom simpson is one of the truly great thinkers about golf course. Architecture he says things that are a little bit different from from everybody else and highly worth listening to and going back to because he's not as commonly read as You're mackenzie's and other authors of that. Period this episode is brought to you By. Gooder gooder makes twenty five dollars active sunglasses for, anyone so it's averaged over one hundred degrees In portland this. Week i've definitely been relying on my. GOODS i have multiple, pairs and one THING i really like about them is that they are a large size to fit my relatively large. Noggin they also have a golf specific lens That i'm not exactly sure what it, does but things look very vivid and, sharp so you can kind of pick out the golf ball against the. Sky it's pretty. Cool gooders are, comfortable stylish and, lightweight and they are one hundred PERCENT uv protective and one hundred percent polarized in all, Styles so treat yourself to a pair or. Two they are very. Affordable and here's the deal For frida egg. Listeners gooder is going to give you fifteen percent off your entire. Order go To gooder dot. Com that's good r dot com slash tfe and get fifteen percent off when you use CODE tfe at. Checkout all orders over fifty dollars get free shipping in THE. Us, again that's CODE tfe at goodr dot com SLASH. Tfe look good Golf. Gooder we should move on to the other courses we are going To scots, today which Are gullan And. Ely we will touch on these courses slightly more briefly than we did On. Meerfield you, Know, Merefield you're going to see that on YOUR tv this, week so we thought we'd go a little more in depth. There but, uh let's talk About. Gullan what is the land like At, gollan because from WHAT i, hear it's a little bit different from a lot of links land that you see out.
Speaker 3: There, absolutely so you can't talk About Gullan Golf club without talking about the town Of gullin.
Speaker 1: Right it's this you, know you.
Speaker 3: Drive it was a neat experience coming To scotland the first time and going straight to the town Of gullin.
Speaker 1: Right you, uh you.
Speaker 3: Get off the, plane you get in the car and you're, driving you, know on a highway and then you get off and you get you're driving to the town Of gullen and you pass like Kill spindy right on the. Sea then you go To Luffness new which is In. Gullan it's kind of at the foothills Of Gallon, hill which we'll talk about in a. Second you See Leftness new and you see the golfers Playing Leftness new and then you get To Goland Golf club which is situated at right A Golan, hill which is on i think the south side of the, town and you just see all these golf holes all over the. PLACE i, mean there's three courses At, golan so there's golf, everywhere and you Have Leftness new right next. Door there's just golf everywhere you can, see and it's golf over this. Hill so you have this big hill that the golf course sits on and there's constantly golfers going up and playing down. It so it's just to get your entrance Into golan is this great hill where the golf club sits and there's just always golfers on, it and it's just like, wow this is golf right like, this this is where you're you, know this is a town is centered around. Golf so the town sits just north of the hill and the golf club and like really the club is an extension of the. Town so there's three golf courses. There There's golan, one which people will know of because The Women's scottish and The Men's Scottish open that have been played there. Recently Ricky foller one there And Brandon stone And Aria Jutanna. Gard So golan one is the most well known golf course At. Golan but that being, said we Played gold two first at the day After, mierfield and that golf course you hear nothing. About AND i try WHEN i, TRAVEL i don't like to read anything about any golf, courses SO i kind of have my own, thoughts you, know and don't know anything going In golan. TOO i walked, Away i'm, like how's nobody ever told me about Gold, Too like this is extraordinary golf.
Speaker 1: Course AND i, think you, know both of.
Speaker 3: Them you tee off on one side of the hill and the majority of the golf is on the other side of the. Hill so early in both, rounds one of the dowt sides of both these courses is you are scaling a giant, hill so you have you, know AND i think Gold and one gets over the hill a lot cleaner Than golan. Two So golin won the second, hole which is typically the first.
Speaker 1: Hole so one of the things With golan the one the.
Speaker 3: Championship course At golan uses a couple holes From golan. Two they use the seventh and the eighth, holes which are they're they're fine holes, there BUT i don't think they are in any ways the best holes At golan. Two but the uh But gulland, one you, know the the the way it gets AND i think it might be a little, bit you, know one of the benefits that it went over the hill a little bit a little less severe of a spot in the. Hill so you, know it's a great uphill part four that's got this skinny green that's benched into the.
Speaker 1: Hill that's the way it gets over the.
Speaker 3: Hill and then you play and you go up it, again and you, know we can talk About gold one a little bit, more But gold. Two you, know you start off on one side of the road that runs through. Town you cross the, road there's a great par four that kind of like one of those classic short par four is over a ridge that bends along the side of a, ridge and then the third hole is a short par four that literally plays like straight up the. Hill and it's a very rudimentary way to get over the, Hill like there was not much thought And Willie park designed this golf. Course, yeah you just play straight up the hill and it's not it's not a clever way to get over the hill the whole you, know you're climbing up. It, allegedly they keep they have a defibrillator now because they've had they call it heart attack. Hill they've had like numerous issues with you, know with people having heart issues as they go over this. Hill like it is a intense climb and it's you, know it's a two. Hundred you, know you hit driver and you're just right up by the. Green effectively it's a it's a par three and a. Half but then your reward is maybe the best hole on property is the fourth hole immediately after, that and you just Are you're opened up to this expansive view of The firth Of forth and you're just playing down and it's just a great long part four that's got you know where you want to hit.
Speaker 1: It there's.
Speaker 3: Bunkers it's just so, that, REALLY i, think is Where golan two shines. Is once you get over that hill is extraordinary. Golf and one of the neat things after Playing mierfield is the second. Round you, know you go out to play and you don't come back, Right mierfield comes.
Speaker 1: Back it's got returning. Nines gollan.
Speaker 3: Two you go out and it and it starts this journey away from the.
Speaker 1: Town.
Speaker 3: Right you go over this hill and you're you've left, town, right you start in. It you've left town and you're out and you're on this. Journey and one of the neat things About gold too is, that Unlike goal, one you really kind.
Speaker 1: Of go on this.
Speaker 3: Exploration you get down really low down near the sea and you know there's walking trails like you have the right to roam In. Scotland you, know property lines don't hold as much weight as they do In. America so one of my favorite things about About Gold too is you're getting down into this the low dunes, land especially into the back. Nine you, know some dramatic shots like you, know you get the, tenth, eleventh, twelfth, thirteenth fourteenth really is an amazing stretch of golf in this low dunes. Land but you're down there and you're like amongst people hiking around and to, me so many, times like The Great golf is like in places where you would want to go on a, Hike and there was something about you, know this is. Second it's the first round That i'm not like super jet. Lagged it's LIKE i got some sleep and like you're playing this round and you're you're on this journey away from town and you know you're going to go back to town at some. Point but you get down and you're with the people that are just hiking in the in the dunes along the sea and.
Speaker 1: In those holes down there are are really.
Speaker 3: Extraordinary you get down low in the seed and you know there's a ton of topographical movement when you consider the hill you go, over then you kind of cascade down into the low sea land and then you come back over the hill and back to the. Clubhouse it's a it's under one hundred, pounds and you, KNOW i think one of the THINGS i took away is, like if you consider going To, scotland if you're if you're thinking, like, Okay i'm at the age WHERE i want to make five six trips To scotland over the course of the rest of my. Life the way you should do it is you should center around town And East lothian's a great place to center. Around gullan would be a wonderful place to center a trip. Around and the cost of these trips substantially goes down when you do it this, way so it makes it you, know find a cheap, flight book your, flight center around one area and you can keep the cost. Manageable because there's great courses Like goal and two that you're never going to read about because they aren't in the Open.
Speaker 1: Roda you're never going to like hear about.
Speaker 3: Them but this is a golf course that you, know if it was In, america would be one of the great public golf courses In, america and.
Speaker 1: It would be The. Greens fee would be. Crazy.
Speaker 3: There it's ninety five. Pounds, right this is a one hundred percent golf. Course you should see if you're interested in. Architecture it's a wonderful place to, play and it's ninety five. Pounds AND i started to think about it's, like all, right like this is how you make this trip manageable if you want to do multiple. Trips it's like it doesn't have to be a Crazy you get your head your. Home the other thing is you you limit your driving. Time you get to experience the town aspect of these places and you can center your your your golf in an.
Speaker 1: Area and this is around for less than a hundred.
Speaker 2: Bucks And i'm not sure we've mentioned, this but there are three courses At. Golin you played two of, them but there are, three so there's a there's a lot of golf to be, had and there are a ton of courses clustered in The East lothian. Area and Then fife is not not far.
Speaker 3: Away, well it's two, hours it's a two.
Speaker 2: Hours But it's it's, manageable is What i'm. Saying it's not like you have to you, know pick up and go on a huge track or take another flight to get to the area Of Saint andrew's and and.
Speaker 3: Well let me just say this, way like one of the cool things we weren't planning on playing The Old.
Speaker 1: Course we got lucky.
Speaker 3: And we got to play It tuesday after The, open and that day we had planned to just Play North, barrick maybe Play North barrick, twice but you, know and one of the THINGS i was really looking forward to was, like you, know you go there and you want to play as much, golf was like having a little bit of downtime to explore the. Area so we get This tuesday afternoon tea time at The Old.
Speaker 1: Course we can't pass that.
Speaker 3: Up and the worst, day the worst part of this entire, trip outside of food, poisoning was the four hours in the car to go From North barrick to The Old course and back to go in. Back, okay so we had to go there and back and in that time was just it was you, know that was the worst part of the whole, trip was spending time in the car And that's WHERE i would urge. People there is plenty of golf In golan In East lothian for a, Week, like there were a couple places THAT i didn't see THAT i really wanted to. SEE i wanted to See Loughness, NEW i wanted to see the third course At. Glan so like those would be things like we we played a ton of golf there and in some of these courses you want to see. AGAIN i would recommend Playing North barrick twice if you can like, that that would be SOMETHING i would. Do dunbar was really really a neat spot and we'll talk about it. More but like these are places you should see in what you're going to do is you're going to have a more enjoyable trip because there's gonna be way less time in a, car WHICH i think is the worst. Part just like looking for golf balls is the worst part about. Golf the worst part about a golf trip is spending extensive time in a, car.
Speaker 2: Right that is what's tough about, it by the, way is that a lot of people will go To scotland and say to, themselves, well this might be the last time THAT i, go and so CAN i really not go To Royal. DORNIC i have to go To Royal. DORNICK i have to see, that and that obviously adds on a big piece of driving to your. Trip but in any, case the ideal would be to locate yourself in one place and really explore it. Deeply and we haven't mentioned Like golan in terms of its affordability and its character as a place for a golf is very different From, meerfield you, know, yes and they're right near each, other so you're getting kind of both the.
Speaker 3: Spectrum, yeah And beerfield has a guest play On tuesdays And, thursdays so those are the days that they're open for guest.
Speaker 1: Play so like that's another.
Speaker 3: Thing like if you're doing, it and you do the full day At, meerfield so you have thirty six holes, there so it's, like you, know you start to think about. It it's like if you want to do a full day At North, barrick you want to go around that place. Twice In beerfield is a full day that that occupies two days of a seven day, trip and then you have all these other courses that are very. Good golan number one would fit into that. Book DO i Think golan one is discernibly better Than gold. Too, NO i THINK i would put them in the same. Bucket but goal number one is sixty five or sixty dollars or pounds more to play than goal and number Two golan in both of them like this is not a discredit To colon number. One both of them are one hundred percent places that when you see, them you will have you see something, unique something you can't really see anywhere else because of This Gullan hill Now goland. One WHY i think it's a little bit more highly regarded is that it has more majestic views throughout because it plays higher on the. Hill so if you get to the seventh t At golan number, one it's maybe arguably you could make probably a CASE i haven't been all over In, scotland but it's probably one of the best views in all Of. Scotland from, there you can see Beer, field you can See Renaissance, club you can see you can see The Edinburgh, castle you can see all the way across To. Fife on a clear. Day it is majestic and you play down along you know the cliffs of there and in you're right on The firth and fourth it is a gorgeous golf. Course it's a little bit, longer a little bit more of a championship test Than gold number. Two it's got some really great. Holes it is you know you, AGAIN i think like the thing THAT i.
Speaker 1: Notice about the advantage of.
Speaker 3: The routing that doesn't come back to the. Clubhouse you, know so many times like you get the courses that come back and go, out and this isn't the case for all of, them but like the weak holes or the holes that have to come back to a predetermined place and the holes that have to leave a predetermined. Place so when you have that out that out of the returning, nines you, know, one, eighteen nine and ten are kind of they have to be certain places and that's not always the best places for.
Speaker 1: Golf the strength.
Speaker 3: Of Both goal and one And goal and two to me are the stretches of really like you, know well you could extend this back to like you, know all of them are really strong once they get over the, hill but that middle part of the, round and like the holes that stick with me At goal and one And goal and, two the most are the stretch of like really like nine through through, thirteen and that's where they get really on the outer parts of the of the property and they get down in those low, holes the more dramatic dunescape of close to the. Sea so those holes down there are are. Extraordinary and it's a wonderful golf, course wonderful golf club AND i you, know in talking To Jeff, shackelford his favorite course Is goal and, three which he would recommend a there's a shop in town we could talk more, About boris in part two that's run by a man Named, boris a hickory. Shop he recommends get renting a set of hickories and playing that as a hickory golf course because it's much. Shorter but his favorite golf course At golan Is goal and, three which is the cheapest. One so you, know that's the THING i think with golf In, scotland if you're open to experimenting and doing like sometimes the, best the most fun golf courses are the ones that you've heard of the least. About don't be afraid to stop and just see a course even though you've never heard of, it or you know your favorite influencers never talked about. It it's never a bad idea to just get off the road and stop and play, somewhere because a lot of the you, know the thing you'll notice out there is pace the. Play like you, know we played fours at Kill. Spindy it was two hours and forty five. Minutes it was, wonderful like you can. Stop you if you got three hours between two, times you could stop and play nine holes in an.
Speaker 1: Hour you.
Speaker 3: Know, there it's not an unrealistic, expectation all.
Speaker 2: Right so just to cap that off, quick facts that we didn't give up front For gallin is that the number two course was built in eighteen ninety. Eight you Mentioned Willie Park, junior and the number one course was designed somewhere around eighteen eighty, FOUR i, believe and the designer is. Unknown and so it's one of those courses that probably a number of people collaborated on and had a very kind of natural evolution into what it is, now which is a course that can continue to host high level championships and you can play. It you, know you just can go out there and get a tea, time which is pretty. Awesome so in the interest of, time we should jump over To ely, NOW i, think which is in a different. Region this is over In. Fife but it is the next course that you played on your itinerary over In. Scotland this club was founded way back eighteen thirty two is the date That i've. Seen it's one of the oldest extant clubs In. Scotland clubhouse was built in eighteen seventy. Five the course was expanded to eighteen holes by Old Tom morris in eighteen ninety. Five this was the boyhood CLUB i believe Of James, braid who went on to become one of the great players of the era and one of the great architects of the. Era so this is A this is the definition of a Historic scottish club and the course from what you've told me so, far the little bits that you've told me is. Delightful you mentioned that after you played, it you, SAID i think this is one of my favorite courses. Ever and so tell me about why you had that.
Speaker 3: Reaction, Yeah, WELL i think circumstance obviously plays a role in all of these. Things LIKE i was coming off of a food poisoning. INCIDENT i got it right WHAT i got to The fife area right. Before what was the culprit who knows could be bad RIBS i don't.
Speaker 1: Know we'll.
Speaker 3: See i'm not. POSITIVE i. CAN'T i can't draw any firm. Conclusions it could have been bad fish and, chips it could have been bad.
Speaker 1: Ribs who. Knows but SO i got really.
Speaker 3: Sick and it was right at the beginning of a major, week which is always like a tricky a week where like the beginning of a week at a major is our busiest, time you, know. Possible it's also when all your friends text you about who they should, pick which is you, KNOW i always, say you, know there's a website THAT i run that has has picks all over. It but, anyways so you, know it led to like kind of catch. Up On, TUESDAY i was just trying to like be a human and be able to like walk around and do some semblance of.
Speaker 1: Work and Then.
Speaker 3: Wednesday by After wednesday, AFTERNOON i started to feel. BETTER i got we got all the preview stuff done that we wanted to get done to an, extent and you, Know Shane bacon was, like let's go play. Golf and what a Friend Colin shean whose OPINION i really. Trust Uh he's one of the founders of The Outpost club And yale's head, coach golf, coach a great golf course.
Speaker 1: Architecture.
Speaker 3: Mind he told Me, andy if you see one course In, fife you have to See. Eely and it's one of those people like you know in your life if If colin tells ME i need to go see a, COURSE i go see a, course like you, know that's like A it's one of those things like everybody has those people in their. Life Uh SO i Told, Shane i'm, like we're going To ely and Thankfully rub McDonald scottish golf podcast host and he's a he works for The European.
Speaker 1: Tour he's got.
Speaker 3: Connection he called over got to set up for like the basically the last time of the. Day so we were chasing the sun At. Ely i'm feeling better for my food poisoning and we get in a cab like you, know, yeah at this point you're kind of drowned down by a major and it's been a few days since we played golf and one of the big things about going over there was to cover a, major but also to see.
Speaker 1: Courses SO i was really.
Speaker 3: EXCITED i was like invigorated to go play golf and you're playing with your, friends which is a other huge aspect so that the clubhouse has a periscope in, It and that's the famous thing that everybody talks about With eely and the periscopes to see the first green when you can hit off the first tea and there's a Course Eagle, springs the nine holder In wisconsin has a FIRST t shot this similar to, this and and to, me when when a golf course has a FIRST t, shot that's outrageous as as like it sets this tone at At ely you're teeing off over like a seemingly a. Mountain you can't see, Anything you're just hitting it and you don't know what's over the, hill and it's like one of the greatest starts you could have to a golf. Course and to, me like it just set the tone is like you're in for something epic. Today so you tee off over this. Thing the periscopes in the pro shop to let you know when you can tee off you don't know what's really over the.
Speaker 1: Hill you just hit.
Speaker 3: It you get over the, hill and it's just this like brawny par four like you think getting over the, hill you're probably just gonna have like a little wedgend it's like, no, no, No LIKE i THINK i hit three iron because it was into a strong.
Speaker 1: Wind we had a strong.
Speaker 3: Wind it's just like holy, cow Like eddie golf course that starts, this the audacity to start a golf course this, way it's just. Unbelievable so you, again it's this in town out of town. Routing and to, me the thing that sticks with me with WITH eee is the way the golf course. Flows so it's got this like it's this traditional you, know out of town back into town. Routing but like you go out to the, sea and WHAT i love about it is you play out and there's some really great, holes like something like the fourth. Hole to, me nobody will ever talk about the fourth hole At ely because it's not on the. Sea but it's got this unbelievable. Feature it could be like an old wall that's. BURIED i don't know what it, is but it. Goes it runs through the. Fairway if you're on the right side of, it you have an obscured look to the. Green if you're on the left side of, it you have a look at the. Green but you the out of. Bounds you're playing along houses of the. Town so you don't really want to hit it left because, that's you, know the one, spot so everybody bails. Right you have this obscured. Look but this, WALL i think it probably is a buried. Wall i'm not. Sure it runs per like diagonal across the hole all the way through the, green like the feature of something that cuts through the green all the way back through the golf hole and plays a part in every aspect of the. Hole to, me that like simple feature is just a brilliant. Design but, anyways you go out and you're going out to the. Sea you know you're going out to the, sea and they kind of like have these, Epicals like the first five holes there are, extraordinary extraordinary golf. Holes the fifth hole traversus probably the best ground on the whole. Property it's like this rollicking dune dune's. Land and then you get to the sixth hole and it's a semi blind. Shot AND i think this is one of the big things With ely is that if you don't like, blindness you're probably not gonna like this, place because there's a lot of. It but to, me it's this. Exhilaration you just can't wait to see where your ball.
Speaker 1: Ended, up you.
Speaker 3: Can't LIKE i felt like a kid running over these. HILLS i couldn't wait to see what was. Next and the sixth hole has this great, reveal like you're hitting right to the to. Sea you crest this hill and it's just this panoramic of all the golf. Ahead And Dan, rappaport he's playing ahead of. Us he yells back to the, GROUP i want to go back over, there which is where all these other golf holes, lay you, know as he's playing back away because it takes you there and then it takes you away and it brings you, back and then you think you're. Done you, know you play really the, tenth the, eleventh the twelfth, again the, tenth, eleventh the, twelfth like the meat of the golf, course just Like gullin is right in the in the the prime spot of your, round right and because you're not having to return to the, clubhouse you know you have you're playing your best golf holes right in the middle of your. Round but like you, know so he's, YELLING i want to go back, there which is one of the great you, know it's the great, teas, right it shows you what's coming, up but it takes you back. Away it makes you wait a little bit longer in The in the, meantime there are great holes in, there you, know the they're wonderful golf holes in. There but then you come back and and tends this dramatic short part four that you are completely. Blind you're hitting over this like rock, cliff and the ball just trundles down to the. Hole eleven's a great short par three that's right on the. Water twelve is an epic par four that bends. Along thirteen's the hole That James braid, SAID i THINK i believe That James braid says the best hole in The British. Isles it's a great green site again playing along the. Sea and then fourteen you head away and you think at that, point like you, know it's starting to get dark for, us you, know We're I'M i was, LIKE i you, KNOW i experienced sadness at places when when you know that the round's starting to be. Over AND i thought we were. DONE i thought we were heading. Home and the brilliance of this routing is that immediately when you think it's, over fifteen is this great short par. Four it's got this huge mound in the fairway that you're trying to hit. It and if you carry it. OVER i was playing Per simmon all. WEEK i didn't carry it, over and it rolled backwards actually like forty. Yards but if you carry it, over it cascades right down to the. Hole if you're a little bit it right of the, mound you're going to run into the rough, right like if you go a little bit left of, it you're gonna end up in the rough. Left but if you hit it just, right it'll funnel it all the way down to the green and this hole kind of you come over this hill and again you get one last look at like the epic holes in the in the in the. Sea, right you just get this one last look at, it and then right when you thought it was, over you get this last reveal and then you head to back, home head back into.
Speaker 2: Town this description makes me feel like golf architecture has taken us in the wrong. Direction we talked earlier about the era pre golf architecture and post golf, architecture And i'm just convinced that if an architect came in in the nineteen twenties and performed golf architecture on The eleae site that it wouldn't have a lot of the features that you were reacting to out, there the kind of, playfulness the, blindness that sense of. Adventure.
Speaker 3: Right, Yeah, well the other thing it has it has a ton of like a ton of blind shots into fall away, greens which nobody would do today because people would, say, oh that's so. Unfair but LIKE i think about, IT i was thinking about it as, Like, GOD i WISH i could hit that shot, again and it's just, YEAH i, Agree like it was is around that it will stick with me for a long.
Speaker 1: Time not because of the. Course it was like.
Speaker 3: Extraordinary i've NEVER i was so excited to play golf that, afternoon and AND i was, like you, know, finally like after you feel like crap for a couple of, days like you get that burst of energy and and you, KNOW i was so excited to play golf that. DAY i was with PEOPLE i really enjoys, company AND i think that was, like you, know combined with the way the golf course in the time of day we were, playing it was just a magical, day magical.
Speaker 1: ROUND i cannot wait to see ee.
Speaker 3: Again like that's like one of the things is LIKE i all the rest of the. TRIP i just wanted to go back To ely and you know it is probably my. Favorite it's hard Like North. BARRICK i Loved North, barrick you, know it's one of my favorite courses in the. World BUT i think all the circumstances made E lee the most. Memory you, know playing the old course two days after The open is Something i'll never, forget ever, forget you. Know but something About ely was. This it just had this magical aspect of the.
Speaker 1: Round all.
Speaker 2: RIGHT i think that's a good place to wrap. Up Next scottish golf podcast that we do not The Scottish Golf podcast hosted By ruy, MacDonald which everybody should check out by the, way it's a great. Show but the next of Our scottish golf podcasts will Cover North barrick a little bit on The old. Course we might not go super in depth there because we've covered the old course before and we'll do, SO i believe in some other podcasts in the. Future but what we'll touch on a few things. There we'll also talk about, Kill spindy And. Dunbar to wrap things up for your first trip To. Scotland all, right thank You. Eddie this episode of The Friday podcast was edited By Meg. Atkins if you've been enjoying the pod, lately please consider leading a rating and review in. iTunes LAST i, checked we have nine hundred and ninety nine ratings, there so if you'd like to push us over one, thousand we'd really appreciate, it and we always read the, reviews so make sure to do one of those. Two we'll be back This, friday and thanks for. Listening