Speaker 1: Good Morning Football is the production of the NFL in partnership with iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: Good Morning Football. That's right, GMFP.
Speaker 3: It is on March tenth. It's the start of a two day negotiating period for prospective unrestricted free agents. We have a lot to talk about, a lot of news to get to on the show today. Peter Schrager, Kyle Brant, this is Brock Breen sitting next to be former NFL safety Brock. Welcome into GMFB. How you doing feeling great, gentlemen in New York. You look great. You look like you're to fire on all cylinders. And we have to get to that because there's a lot of names, specifically quarterbacks that we want to talk to. Ian Rapaport, our NFL network insider, you've been all over He's on the phone with somebody right now. So we're just gonna pause. We are going to talk Josh Allen. First, Ian, all right, rap sheet, what's going on?
Speaker 4: Sorry about that?
Speaker 3: That's all good to happen.
Speaker 5: Yeah, let's talk about Josh Allen. Sorry, it's a time of calls and dodging.
Speaker 6: It's you have to do.
Speaker 3: Just let me know and I'll pick you up.
Speaker 6: Now, I'll let you know.
Speaker 5: I'll let you know, all right, Josh Allen gets a huge new deal. Reigning MVP gets paid just like in.
Speaker 4: The Buffalo Bills.
Speaker 5: Has been a lot of time this offseason, and really the last week or so walking in some of their key guys. Six years, three hundred and thirty million dollars on his extension, two hundred and fifty million dollars guarantee, which is a huge number, the largest number ever.
Speaker 4: Generally. What you see is, you.
Speaker 5: Know, quarterbacks do extensions. They tack on money kind of at the end and extend a company. This is really more like a new deal for Josh Allen, the kind of contract that he absolutely deserves. Meanwhile, one quarterback who wants a new contract wants a contract at all. Aaron Rodgers, one of the top free agents available, is cerainly one of the biggest name free agents available. We have known for some time that the New York Giants have interest in Aaron Rodgers. Those two have had a dialogue for the last several days. It is certainly a strong option, I would say, for the Giants, and we'll see where the ends up going Now, the Pittsburgh Steelers are trying to get Justin Field's done trying to get him to remain their quarterback for next year. But if that does not work out, if he goes somewhere else, like maybe let's say the New York Jets, which would be a possibility for him, then I would expect these Steelers to have some interest in Aaron Rodgers. They've got interested in a couple quarterbacks. Rogers would be one of them. A lot of dominoes here are still to fall, a lot of balls in the air, and this is basically the quarterback road.
Speaker 4: So once one spot gets a.
Speaker 5: Little fought, another one gets a little more likely, and we'll kind of move from there. But Aaron Rodgers firmly in focus today, all.
Speaker 3: Right, and thank you so much. Two years later, it's a different colored green, but we're trying to figure out where Aaron Rodgers is going to be quarterbacking next season. Peter, what do you make of, specifically the juice between the New York Giants and potentially Aaron Rodgers going there.
Speaker 7: I think it's real. I think the Giants are very interested in Aaron Rodgers. The question is Aaron Rodgers very interested in the Giants? And if you're a Giants fan, how do we end up here where all of a sudden we're waiting on Aaron Rodgers Like this isn't what the plan was. Truth of the matter is Rodgers might have some different and suitors and he's taking his time. It seems like where it might might have an answer today, might have an answer tomorrow.
Speaker 4: But they are going to be.
Speaker 7: Teams that are calling, and they are calling at second to hits twelve o'clock Eastern. I'm looking at the Pittsburgh Steelers as a truly viable option for Aaron Rodgers. I look at whether or not if you're Rogers, you'd rather go to New York where it's Malik neighbors and a young team and some town on the defensive end, or the Pittsburgh Steelers, which goes to the playoffs every year and it has an opportunity to get over the hump if Rogers wants to be the placeholder there. Look, there's a lot of different dominoes that have to fall. Ian is going to be on it all morning, so will Tom Pellisero, and I direct you to Mike Garafo. Those three have been on it the entire last three weeks. When it comes to all this stuff the dominoes are. Thus, we're first going to have to find out I think where Sam Darnold's going, and I think Donald is the biggest domino left right now. Once we got the Stafford situation out of the way, let's say Donald goes to Seattle, let's go there, or let's say he.
Speaker 4: Goes to Pittsburgh.
Speaker 7: Well, that Justin Fields is the next domino. Where is Justin Fields going to go? We know that there's interest from the Steelers, of course to bring them back, but we also know the New York Jets.
Speaker 4: Are hot on Justin Fields.
Speaker 7: Once we find out Darnald and Fields, amazingly enough, you have two potential Hall of Fame quarterbacks, if not one Hall of Fame quarterback and one Super Bowl winning quarterback, Aaron Rodgers and Russell Wilson that I think have to see where those two guys end.
Speaker 4: Up, and then they can weigh their decisions.
Speaker 7: I've got Rogers over Wilson on that little hierarchy there of that tree. But let's look at it this way. Donald, then Fields, then Rogers. As far as where we're going to find out where these guys go, Aaron Rodgers suddenly might have a bigger market than we thought forty eight hours ago. If it's the Steelers, if it's the Seahawks, and of course I mentioned the New York Giants.
Speaker 8: Well, Peter, right, listen, going back a little ways, I think if Matthew Stafford would have left the Rams, I think Rogers is on the jet in ten seconds.
Speaker 9: I think that it would have been a dream job.
Speaker 8: And now, of course DeVante's there, so what are perfectly didn't happen? Stafford stays. As far as the Giants, I'll just put cards on the table. So about a week and a half ago, when it was really popping everywhere on social media, It's Friday afternoon, and candidly, I was halfway through a Martin Yeah, and I'm all right, I'm just reading this and reading this, and I'm like, so, I'm just gonna text Rogers every once in a while.
Speaker 4: He and like, hey, let's go.
Speaker 6: We talked about it, and we texted about it. What do you got? Well, that's the thing.
Speaker 8: That's why I didn't bring it up the next day because there's no headline. I'm not breaking news. Mostly we texted just about silly stuff. But my takeaway from me actually straight up asking him, like, so, what's the deal? You want to know the Giants because we have an old relationship, I'll just ask you. My takeaway was that I don't think Rogers is running around shopping himself. I don't think he's eager and hungry and ready and not to join any other team if the situation is there, sure, But like, I don't think he is dispatching his people. I don't know if he has people. Honestly, I don't think he's running people down. I think if it didn't show up and there wasn't a perfect situation, he is perfectly ready to say, twenty years, Cnohio, in five years, I'm gonna go take my medicine in the jungle. Just I think it is completely ready to do that. The Giants thing for me personally has nothing to do with anything. I just wri that Peter would be amused by that. I don't want to see him go to the Giants, And I've said this already. I'm ready for him to be done because there's a factor of don's don't wear shorts like the Greats, don't team chase, they don't bounce around at the end of their careers. It's unbecoming. It doesn't end well, and I know you want to land the plane on this thing. The last ten Hall of Fame quarterbacks. You look at the list, they're not on some fourth team. I would even throw Breeze and Brady in there yet. Manny no Warner, no Farv, no Aikman, no Kelly, no Young, no Warren Moon. Yes, but he played a lot of ears in Edmonton, was on a different path. Marino, no Montana, no Aaron Rodgers. My opinion, the best quarterback to ever play the game is like, Yeah, maybe I gonna work something out at the Giants because I have a house there and Dable sounds cool.
Speaker 9: Even though they haven't won anything in over decade.
Speaker 8: And maybe I can make it work with Malik Neighbors, who is a nice player, but it's not Jerry Rice.
Speaker 6: I don't know. I just as a fan, as an.
Speaker 8: Enthusiast joining the Giants after the Jets, I don't want to see it.
Speaker 6: As a fan, and as someone who.
Speaker 8: Just kind of follows the league, I still don't anticipate seeing I think the Rams thing would happen in a second. I don't think he's going to join the Giants. If he does, I'll stand up in applaud and I hope they win because they root for Dable.
Speaker 9: So don't think it's gonna.
Speaker 4: Have Steelers do anything for you.
Speaker 8: Yes, more because if he goes to the Steelers, he'll be in the playoffs. The Steelers go to the playoffs. We know that, so there's almost no doubt about it. And they just loaded up with weapons. So Peter, it's a perfect follow the Steelers.
Speaker 9: Yes, we know the relationship with Tomlin.
Speaker 8: They're always kind of winking at each other and smiling in the games. They have the rob receivers, they have the defense all at Steelers. Yes, because then you could actually make something of it. But anything beyond that, it's just it seems like you're, I don't know, shack on the Suns or shack on the Calves or shack on the Celtics.
Speaker 6: I just don't like it.
Speaker 7: And if you want to look behind the curt a little bit of the dark arts, a lot of the Steelers Rogers stuff has happened this morning, and that's coming out a lot more and more, and you're gonna hear that more. A lot of that I think could be real, A lot of that could be coming from people in Pittsburgh to Justin Fields as folks saying hey, we have other options too, like we can move on.
Speaker 4: It's all about how.
Speaker 7: The media is being manipulated, but also what the agents are saying, what the teams are saying. That's the beauty of free agent frenzy. We came into this morning and it's like, all right, let's do what happened now. Suddenly there's a discussion of Aaron Rodgers might have a choice, but also Justin Fields might have to make a decision because hey, if you don't pick Pittsburgh, we've got another option, and maybe Rogers is our guy instead.
Speaker 10: For Neighbors and Tracy, I'd be excited, right, But as far as the Giants and what their future holds, and especially for Aaron Rodgers, he holds all the cards this benefits. If you went there, it would benefit the Giants much more than it would benefit Aaron Rodgers. Milik Neighbors would have his career kick started to heights that we haven't already seen. And Tyron Tracy, who's just a flower waiting to bloom the right quarterback would be great. But other than that, what do we really get out of this situation? So Kyle, I'm right there with you. And if Aaron does want to continue to play, I am excited for him to start fresh offensively from a schematic standpoint.
Speaker 6: When he was at the Packers, that was his team.
Speaker 10: When he was in New York and the Jersey with the Jets, it was still his guys in the offensive room, so it was his offense.
Speaker 6: It's outdated and it's time to change.
Speaker 10: If he went to the Giants, I would hope he would respectable enough to say, Okay, guys are figuring.
Speaker 6: Out what I do.
Speaker 10: I can't just line up in two by two and dictate everything at the line of scrim It just time to update some things.
Speaker 6: Dable what you.
Speaker 10: Got for me, and I would be excited to see that. But I'm really happy to hear that. Maybe there's a situation where he says, I've done everything I need to do. I got the ring, i got the jacket. I'm gonna go geto my cabin in the mountains and live the most peaceful life you've ever seen.
Speaker 6: Wins all around for Aaron Rodgers. Quite honestly.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know, it's fun to on free agency frenzy day to watch everyone's facial expressions match up with certain players, like some of you with a face like this, like it just doesn't fit. And I get that you have the way things that should be in your brain. Let's look at the Pittsburgh Steelers really quick, because you guys have all kind of tabbed. This continues and with DK Metcalf involved to be a really good option. Now we have Ian Rappaport saying that they really want to get the Justin Fields deal done. But I would put everybody on the spot, Peter Kyle, if they were the Pittsburgh Steelers and you're making decisions here, would you rather Sam Donald or Aaron Rodgers in that quarterback room?
Speaker 7: Peter, you have to love Sam Donald because I don't think Sam Donald, you're signing for a one year, two year deal. You're going to give him that big monster deal and you're gonna give him that Justin Fields deal. Aaron Rodgers probably is a shorter term deal, and that's a hey, we think we can win right now. If I'm a Steelers fan, I don't know what I want if it's option A Justin Fields B Sam Donald, see Aaron Rodgers. Look, Justin Fields was good at four and one last year and they benched him because they knew that Russell Wilson gave him a better shot. So suddenly, now if I'm a Steelers fan after you the same coaching staff benched Justin Fields a year ago, to be doing flips over the fact that, Wow, we got Justin Fields.
Speaker 4: It's really a.
Speaker 7: Good paradox to have when there's these three different names. But it's also this untenable situation because none of these guys guarantee we get any further than we did last year with Russell Wilson.
Speaker 8: Once they signed DK metcalf I was away from Justin Fields for the Steelers, it's just you're gonna have two huge personality, huge talent. Never mind the person night wide receivers Justin Fields for all he's worth, and there's worth a lot, I don't think that's the guy to spread the ball around and take all these deep shots and air.
Speaker 9: It out like they're gonna do.
Speaker 8: If anything, I would rather have Russell Wilson and Justin Fields if we're gonna do that, just because he knew he throws the deep ball.
Speaker 6: Well.
Speaker 8: To answer your question, Jamie Donald to Rodgers, it's a really really tricky question. I think it would probably be Donald. I just I watched fantastic football with great wide receivers last year, albeit in a totally different situation with different coach in a dome.
Speaker 9: It's a coin flip, though.
Speaker 8: I just got done saying I don't want Rodgers to play on a fourth team. I think he should be done, So I'd have to say Donald.
Speaker 10: Donald's short term Rogers has made a clear even if he does continue to play one year, two year tops. I feel Pittsburgh wants to build something, so I would lean towards Sam Donald in that situation. The problem is, we have more questions about this Pittsburgh offense than maybe any other offense in the NFL. Arthur Smith, we don't know what this offense looks like. By the end of the season, it was run the ball on first down, take a sack on second down, throw the ball to hopefully George Biggins catches it on the third. I don't know what this Arthur Smith offense is gonna look like, and I don't know if either quarterback can really dictate that.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I look.
Speaker 7: At these teams and we're like, all right, Sam Donald could go to Seattle, which makes sense, or now Pittsburgh maybe or the Giants perhaps, but probably not the Giants. And it's like, I can't stress us enough how damaging for his financial wellbeing those eight days were for Sam Donald. There should be a feeding frenzy for this guy based on what he did last year. But when you play the way you did against the Lions in Week eighteen and then eight days later lay another egg against the Cardinal against I'm sorry, against the Rams in air Zona.
Speaker 4: Those were two of the worst games we've seen a quarterback.
Speaker 7: Play, and it brought up ghosts no pun intended. When we're talking Sam Donald. Of Sam Donald's worst days as a New York Jet, worst days as a Carolina Panther, I think he cost himself a lot of money because, honestly, Jamie, I think the Tennessee Titans should be talking to Sam Donald. If you're talking about a seventeen week season, I think the Cleveland Browns should be banging down the door for Sam Donald. We're talking about a seventeen week season. But those eight days, it's really hard for quarterback people and offensive coaches to look at those eight days and those two performances in the clutch when it mattered most a game that was indoors and another game that was indoors and Sam Donald played horribly.
Speaker 4: And this team lost.
Speaker 7: I think it's really hard for these teams like the Titans, they could say, well, we're gonna.
Speaker 4: Go all in on that.
Speaker 7: So now Donald's left with this kind of second tier contract and this sort of maybe should we I don't know when it could have been a slam dunk had he just played even somewhat like he did in those previous seventeen weeks, Peter, is.
Speaker 3: Something really that you said in the last fourteen minutes or so, is that Sam Donald is the domino looking at those born nineteen ninety five or on dominoes is when you take little bricks and you line them up and then it's very gratifying when you sing and they all start to fall. Okay, that is what dominoes is. Just so we have a clarification. I'm pretty sure when you were you born ninety ninety two, do you know dominoes?
Speaker 6: The dominoes that my uncle's played was a little different.
Speaker 3: Okay, well, here we go. We're keeping it clean. On GMFB, Free Agent Frenzy is just beginning with Rock. All right, guys, we're going we're looking at wide receivers, talking about Domino Sam Donald, where are you going to land? But I'm also looking at the guys that are catching the ball from him. We got DK Metcalf. We know where you're going. We got Chris Godwin, Davante Adams. You're in LA now where else are we looking?
Speaker 6: At?
Speaker 3: Free agency Frenzy eight hours of live covered starts today ten am Eastern NFL Network and streams on NFL Plus. DK Metcalf. You are a Pittsburgh stealer for the next couple of seasons. Gino Smith no longer we own you the football?
Speaker 6: Who is it?
Speaker 3: And that's where we just talked about that. What are the Raiders look like with Gino? But we got to go wide receivers as well, Kyle, we.
Speaker 8: Do and Peter and I are trying to think about the nooid back from Dominoes back in the night. You got to avoid the nooid who was avoiding a little Caesars.
Speaker 6: Yeah, Alloyd was dominant.
Speaker 4: It was dominant. Pizza was avoiding like annoying you like nobody.
Speaker 9: Pizza's liked the hut.
Speaker 6: Anyways, are we're a little Caesar's house?
Speaker 9: Spiker McKenzie was like lying there with women and bikinis. He's a dog. What was going on there?
Speaker 6: Devonte?
Speaker 4: Where's he going?
Speaker 9: We already know the rams.
Speaker 4: Whoe are all the quarterbacks going? That's what's most important.
Speaker 9: That's what we talk to. Grunt, Good morning football, don't go anywhere.
Speaker 6: Head JOm Max Heaven. Yeah, that's the great We love Pepsi.
Speaker 2: Good mon football.
Speaker 3: Nightmare material for Brock Veraren, who's with us on GMFB today. As a safety in the league, if you're dealing with quarterbacks and wide receivers that are bopping around a different teams, you have to prepare for them so differently, especially Ian Rappaport when it's a DK Metcalf or Devonte Adams showing up in New Towns. What happened with some wide receivers over the weekend?
Speaker 5: Crazy situation for several big time, big name rob receivers. We'll start right there with dk Metcalf, the star for Seattle. We have known for several days that he has requested a trade, wanted to be out, wanted to explore his options, wanted.
Speaker 4: A new contract.
Speaker 5: It all happened for him last Night's just told me and colleigue Tom Pellisero that the Pittsburgh Steelers. The Steelers agreed to a trade requiring acquiring Dk Metcalf in exchange for a second round pick, also giving him a five year, one hundred and fifty million dollar contract. It has been quite an odyssey for the Steelers. They've been searching for a big time receiver for.
Speaker 4: More than a year.
Speaker 5: It started with Brandon Ayuke and went to Devonte Adams, and went to Mike Williams, and now they get Dk Metcalf.
Speaker 4: Huge deal for them.
Speaker 3: You'll see who their.
Speaker 4: Quarterback ends up being as well.
Speaker 5: Meanwhile, Devonte Adams also landed last night. He agreed to terms with the Los Angeles Rams. He gets a two year, forty six million dollar contract, twenty six million dollars guaranteed. Now, he wanted to be on the West coast, and there was a ton of talk about whether or not he would join Aaron Rodgers. That was obviously a consideration. We don't know where Rogers is going to go. He wanted to be as a freative for the first time on the West coast lands with the Rams as they continue to load up for quarterback Matthew staff.
Speaker 3: All right, there were a handful of others two of course, te Higgins got the franchise tag from Cincinnati. Hollywood Brown resigns in Kansas City. There's a good list of guys available, and thank you so much. But Peter, when you inspect the recent wide receiver moves, what caught your eye or do you want to add to any of those developments as we know that you know some of those teams pretty well.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I'm interested in now who's left. Chris Godwin's an interesting one. Chris Godwin could have been re upped or could have been extended by the Buccaneers. He's going to be a free agent. But you go back real quick on the Metcalf piece, and I think when you're looking at DK Metcalf as a Pittsburgh Steeler, the question is is that chicken in the egg? Do you now have to pair him with a big armed quarterback and you need him now find the right quarterback? Or can you go with Justin Field still who is not gonna be that guy that's gonna hit Pickens and DK Metcalf on these d things. Kyle's hit this all morning like Justin Fields, Arthur Smith, friar Mouth. You know you add in another tight end probably on this team and these are all big body guys, Like this has always been a run first offense, and Justin Fields to me still is a run first quarterback.
Speaker 4: Now he's smart, he's.
Speaker 7: Well liked, he's appreciating, Like, is Justin Fields really the number one option for Pittsburgh or do they now say we need to consider a guy, Maybe go in big, big arm, Maybe go with a different quarterback than that. So I'm fascinating to see what the DK Metcalf's on against because it's thirty million dollars for a number one wide receiver who's entering his thirties. Who's the quarterback they're gonna pair with them either way?
Speaker 4: After failing to land Brandon.
Speaker 7: Aiyuk last offseason, after failing to land Christian Kirk last offseason, the Steelers five finally get their first wide receiver one maybe since Antonio Brown, and they get DK Metcalf.
Speaker 4: This has been a long road. Who's throwing on the ball.
Speaker 10: My only hesitance is their new wide receiver one has the same skill set as their new wide receiver two in George Pickens.
Speaker 6: Big guys, straight line.
Speaker 10: Guys, guys who excel when the ball is high up in the air and I can jump higher and extend my long arms more than you. We mentioned a couple of minutes ago. We just don't know what this Pittsburgh offense is going to look like.
Speaker 6: They were so limited.
Speaker 10: But for a positive and optimistic outlook, here's what it does look like.
Speaker 6: You're a defense.
Speaker 10: You cannot play single high, and that opens up a whole lot of things, especially for the run game. If they figure out Jalen Warren whoever that running back room entails, they should be able to feast in there. Because if George Pickens is way over there and DK Metcalf is way over there, you cannot ask a free safety to play after play consistently be over top both of them.
Speaker 6: And that's exciting.
Speaker 10: Maybe this is the most downhill offense we've ever seen.
Speaker 6: We are going to run the.
Speaker 10: Ball right at you, or we are going to chuck it up a along the sideline. And while they ran into a brick wall last year, once team started figuring that out, maybe they can get a quarterback who can expose a little more versatility than Russell Wilson did. So, if you want to be optimistic, that's what the offense is.
Speaker 6: You cannot play single high.
Speaker 10: Our running backs feast, Jalen Warren feasts if he is their running back, Calvin Austin feast, pat firemoothfeast.
Speaker 6: But again, I need to see it.
Speaker 10: I'm withholding my excitement until I can see a full route tree from either DK Metcalf or George Pickens.
Speaker 8: I like route tree talk because it's pure football, and so much of the reaction to this move is not football. It's personality, it's psychology. And it's hard to talk about DK in the same wide receiver room as George Pickens without talking about the personalities. Kind of feels like it's a big deal here. We have two players, certainly Pickens, who I'm going to put this in a positivement, are very emotional. Earlier in the show, we ran this reel of George Pickens' losing composure. Listen, there's a real DK too. And if you're George Pickens, who is maybe been a little bit insecure, is going to the last year of your contract, who wants one of these huge deals, you're telling me you're bringing in someone who is actually more talented than I am, who's bigger than I am, more experienced than I am, and more well paid.
Speaker 6: Than I am.
Speaker 8: That's a shot right to the core. You just went to the number two receiver and now the quarterback might be a run first quarter?
Speaker 4: How am I gonna get my numbers?
Speaker 6: How am I going to get paid? Like?
Speaker 8: I don't even blame him for this, Like you got to look out for yourself. He's in a pretty important juncture of his career.
Speaker 4: These two players want the ball.
Speaker 8: George Pickens will throw his helmet on the sidelines scream I want the ball. And that's before DK Metcalf got there. So the chemistry of it and the Mike Tomlin knows all factor of it is volatile to me. And it's a little bit of a buckle up. We did this earlier, We're gonna do it again. Peter brought it to the table, as he so often does. Zach Azani a z Z A n N I is the wide receiver coach for your Pittsburgh Steelers. Thoughts and prayers go get them. This is a guy incredibly experienced years old. He's one of these coach was like fourteen stops. He started at Valpo. We talked about he was at Central Michigan and coach Antonio Brown. He's with the Jets, A couple of years ago. He has seen it all. I don't know if he's seen this. So just the idea of keeping those guys happy, you know, can use like attention cutter. I would love a tweet from Pickens right now that is some sort of take the air out of the situation a little bit and say let's go ball at DK whatever it is. Because you watch football, you watch red zone, you know these two guys are prone to doing crazy stuff after the play, sometimes during the play. Now they're on the same team, in the same huddle for a team that is always in the playoffs.
Speaker 9: It's fast as Kyle.
Speaker 7: What if DK wants that number fourteen that Peter I need to mention the fourteen?
Speaker 4: What happens? What's that conversation there?
Speaker 6: I mean, DK can't get it.
Speaker 8: There's already a receiver that has it, so Peter, it's so true, so personal to the numbers not even met yet and like already number let's talk.
Speaker 6: They could have been fifteen to fourteen.
Speaker 4: Now they got the same fourteen.
Speaker 3: Point and I'm like, I need a picture of them, like Sharon vagasaapach Kinds or something, just to break the ice. They're hanging out they're talking about their numbers and they have candy in common. At least something we have the new Over the weekend, the news came out that Miles Garrett became the highest paid non quarterback. Many thought that Jamar Chase was going to take ownership of that contract deal this offseason. Peter, what does the wide receiver moves? What does the Miles Garrett number now? Due to Jamar Chase and his conversations with the Cincinnati.
Speaker 11: Bengals, Yeah, look, it just took it to another level because Duke Tobin, who's the lead executive on these negotiations for the Bengals at the combine, came out and he said that Jamar Chase is going to make the most money as any non quarterback.
Speaker 4: We're going to get that number there, We're going to get that to him. And he said, well, that non number just.
Speaker 7: Took a giant leap because no one.
Speaker 4: Saw Miles Garrett making forty million dollars.
Speaker 7: It really all started with Max Crosby getting a new deal on Friday, and suddenly it was like Max Crosby's making thirty five million a year.
Speaker 4: Now Garrett's making forty million.
Speaker 7: What do you value Jamar Chase at who's waited his time and it is now his opportunity to cash in. Look, I still think the Bengals have great intentions to bring back Chase and Higgins, both of them.
Speaker 4: I think if t Higgins was to be on.
Speaker 7: The open market, he could make more than thirty million dollars. I think he's viewed as a better wide receiver than DK Metcalf. So all of this tells me that the Bengals might be paying three guys Burrow, Chase, and Higgins, and they might have to say, pull him the rest of the team with forty nine guys that might not necessarily be the best at their positions, or they have to draft Hella Good because I don't think they're gonna have much money to spend anywhere else.
Speaker 4: Trey Hendrickson great player, he wasn't going to be able to be a part of his budget. Of all these teams that seem.
Speaker 7: To just avoid the salary cap and figure out ways to make it work, the Bengals waiting to pay Jamar Chase this late may have burned themselves a bit because now you've got Chase and Higgins and the salary cap has expanded to this amount of money.
Speaker 4: They've got to find a way to pay both those guys.
Speaker 7: If they had done it one year ago, two years ago, they might have been in a better position right now. But it looks like Chase and Higgins are their top priorities, and their numbers might have jumped leaves and bounds even the last forty eight hours.
Speaker 9: That's crazy to me.
Speaker 8: I just don't think that's how you build a Super Bowl team. The Super Bowl team where your best and your highest paid three players are quarterback, wide out, wide out like that's very, very rare. Maybe one of the peyton eras with Reggie and Marvin Sherb like that.
Speaker 6: That is really a tough ask.
Speaker 8: Especially it's not like we can't find any defensive players we keep missing. You have the sack leader in your building who is wanting to stay there. And it's not a disrespect to t Higgins. Go somewhere else and make all the money in the world. You're really good player.
Speaker 9: But it's almost just like, like, no, we want them both.
Speaker 8: And I think Burrows speaking up for Higgins maybe plays a role in this thing.
Speaker 6: You can't pay everybody.
Speaker 9: To to both wideouts.
Speaker 8: I think it's crazy pick one of them and then pick your pass rusher and go win some games. It feels like, what do we just see them do light up the world and not do anything? Are they gonna have to get to forty every single week? Are they gonna have to get to fifty? It's not that easy to nail your draft picks. Most drafts at the Bengals just most draft picks for teams are terrible. It's like most of them with there's very few hits. You got one with Chase, you got one with bur I completely Higgins, you got one with Higgins two But like, okay, So I don't know what's up with Hendrickson.
Speaker 6: Why do they don't want him? The Saints didn't want him either.
Speaker 4: Thirty one years old.
Speaker 8: He let the NFL in sacks see Higgins, that Cavin Johnson, pier and know what we're talking about. I also, while we're sitting here and Peter's just ex stolen all these things about the Bengals, I'm really, my brain isn't a pretzel about the DK and George Pickens jersey number, and so the quick research says DK also had fourteen college right, so he's very tied to it.
Speaker 4: That's his all on the Dickens wear Georgia. I'm glad you brought that up.
Speaker 9: Pickens wore number one at Georgia, which is a sick number.
Speaker 8: So if DK were to show up and offer Pickens money to change, if the fields is too one, so fields one should be available for this deal, tell.
Speaker 9: Me if it's not.
Speaker 4: It's also a really cool, passive aggressive way to.
Speaker 8: Say I'm one. I'm number one one, George. I'm sure you're watching. It's been a hell of the twenty four hours for you. Go to the one, take money from DK, give up the fourteen, start.
Speaker 7: A new you envision you envision George Pickens to be on this roster week one.
Speaker 8: The question for me is we'll be on the roster week seventeen, Like that's the question.
Speaker 9: I do week one, Yes, okay, but if we're getting into week.
Speaker 8: Five, six, seven, eight, and let's just say, like it's not.
Speaker 4: A great marriage, we'll see, okay.
Speaker 3: Quick pass at the Steelers roster they don't have a number one.
Speaker 12: I'll go.
Speaker 6: I just solved it.
Speaker 3: I have a future advice for any candidates applying for a GM job. To quote Peter Scheger March of twenty twenty five draft Hella good.
Speaker 9: I think it's a good strategy phrase.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's a good strategy.
Speaker 9: Receivers.
Speaker 3: Okay, after things ended up with Miles Garrett over the weekend, I feel like we firmly placed this into a saga with the Cleveland Browns. We know the end mj Acosta Luiz, but how we got there is a very fascinating story to tell.
Speaker 13: Yeah, even with the spoilers and the tweets and everything we know online, there's still a lot to process and digest. Yes, Browns all pro defensive n Miles Garrett has had a change of heart when it comes to his trade request, and yeah, I mean a fat new contract. We'll probably have that effect on you. Garrett agreed to a four year extension with the Browns that averages forty million dollars a year that also includes one hundred and twenty three million dollars guaranteed. The deal makes Garrett the highest paid non quarterback in the NFL, surpassing that deal signed by Raiders defensive end Max Crosby just last week. The new deal puts Garrett under contract for the next six seasons. Running back Aaron Jones returning to the Vikings after agreeing to a two year, twenty million dollar deal. In his first season with the Vikings, Jones racked up a career high one one hundred and thirty eight rushing yards to go along with five touchdowns, his most since twenty twenty. His oney five hundred and forty six yards from scrimmage was the second most of his career. Over in Baltimore, Lamar Jackson happy that his blindside protector is coming back. Left tach call Ronnie Stanley avoiding free agency as he agreed to terms on a three year deal worth sixty mil to remain with the Ravens. Stanley was the number two overall rated player on Greg Rosenhal's top one hundred and one free agent's list, and the Chiefs keeping a key piece of their defense. As NFL Network insider Ian Rappaport is reporting, Chiefs linebacker Nick Bolton has agreed to terms on a three year, forty five million dollar extension. Bolton led Kansas City and tackles and tackles for.
Speaker 9: Loss this past season.
Speaker 13: So the lesson big numbers.
Speaker 2: Add to big bucks, all right.
Speaker 13: When we come back, There were some major moves that went down over the weekend. Jamie and the guys will look at the ones that shock the most, and they're not easy to shock.
Speaker 12: That's right, good mon, football.
Speaker 3: I think I'm ready to solve free agency. There were so many moves made yesterday on a Sunday, guys, Let's walk through the clock the guy and what happens here we already know. Miles Garrett has now for the time being, become the highest paid non quarterback in the NFL. Also a change of heart. It was very strange and shocking. Nick Fulton with home grown Kansas City. This guy is a gmfbe home grown show guy. Peter Trigger loves him. He resigns with Kansas City. Aaron Jones two years running it back with the Minnesota Vikings, Ernest Jones drafted by the Rams after a year with Seattle, he signs an extension re racket After your cup of coffee. Devonte Adams now playing in a Rams offense with Matt Stafford as his quarterback. Harold Landry the Third reunited with Mike Rabel in New England, played for him in Tennessee. And of course Josh Allen gets a huge bag of money. And dk Metcalf now playing for the Steelers. Is he wearing number fourteen, who is his quarterback? Guys? Like I said, it was the times, it was the guys, and it was what happened to them, what team they are playing on. What shocked you the most yesterday's Peter, besides the fact that I can walk back and forth and do all that talking at the same time without the.
Speaker 9: Job, Jamie, it's really good.
Speaker 7: I still go with the Miles Garrett deal because we wasted so much time and energy talking about Miles Garrett and how all he wanted was to win a Super Bowl and how it wasn't going to happen in Cleveland, and then yesterday, right before noon on a Sunday, it's like forty million dollars a year. You'll rearrange your thoughts on that. He said he had a change of heart. I would have a change of heart for forty million dollars as well. I honestly think it was just the radio tour that he did during Super Bowl and then the entire week us talking about it for to end with him remaining as the Browns, and there was always a number. It reminds me of like pawnd Stars or one of these shows where it's like, hey, we do it for this amount.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you got a deal. And that's where it was. We had a deal. So Miles Garrett to me, there was an opportunity.
Speaker 7: Here where he really showed that he stood for Super Bowl over everything else.
Speaker 4: And trade me to a contender.
Speaker 7: And at the end of the day he goes back to the Browns and now there are an even more salary cap.
Speaker 4: Hell because of that deal.
Speaker 6: What are they? Sam Pond?
Speaker 9: Stars are always like best I can do. The best I can do is trade of the Jaguars.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I can't do it, but all of a sudden want they stay home in Cleveland. Yeah, listen, I still think the last one you showed. I still think DK Metcalf going to the stealers of the Steelers.
Speaker 9: We kept using the word at home grown.
Speaker 6: That's a seahawk.
Speaker 8: That's a guy they drafted when a lot of people didn't like him. He's came in, he's produced, he's a celebrity, he's famous. He ran down Buddha Baker Ones and now he's just he's gone to Pittsburgh and we've talked about it all morning. You know, the match that he has with George Pickens, is that going to be? Is that going to be the next Marves and Harrison, Reggie Wayne.
Speaker 6: I don't know.
Speaker 8: It's a lot of different personalities going on there, but we've talked about it over and over, and it's I just think also, like the cogs of the NFL machine were just firing all weekend. It's amazing that you wait, you think you were told it's gonna start happening on Monday. That's the frenzy. No, it was the weekend long start to finish.
Speaker 6: Big name began.
Speaker 9: One moment, I'm listening.
Speaker 6: To Miles Garrett.
Speaker 8: Next minute, I turn an NFL Network and Adam Rank is breaking down the fantasy ramifications for Jackson Smith and Jig But and it's.
Speaker 6: Just everywhere firing.
Speaker 4: But it is a good point.
Speaker 8: Like as much as we talk about Pittsburgh with d Okay, what is Seattle now?
Speaker 6: Like who is their quarterback?
Speaker 9: Their wide receiver room is very strange.
Speaker 8: They have like the young head coach, Lockett's gone, DK's gone, it's Jsen and Jake Bobo. I think I saw the thing. So they got a lot of work to do and they're not afraid of it. But it's just it seems like the cupboard is empty right now.
Speaker 9: They got to fill it.
Speaker 10: Hopefully plenty of patience for Mike McDonald over there in Seattle. It may be a little while, but I trusted taking it back on track. I'm sticking in the NFC West. The most shocking for me was Devanta Adams, and I'm shocked by how much I love it, how obvious it seems now in hindsight. And the Rams are hilarious. They finish every year saying, all right, it's time to rebuild. We put all of our chips in. Now we have to lick our wounds and then this actually, we're gonna try and win another Super Bowl. So hey Stafford, you're coming back in DeVante Adams and you're coming back to that's the Cooper Cups locker. You can go over there and put all your stuff there. I'm pumped for this. There's no routes that Davante Adams cannot run.
Speaker 6: Personally. I only have two route runners.
Speaker 10: In the history of the NFL that can run routes better than Davonte Adams and Matthew Stafford is gonna find his guy wherever he is, soapub form and that old wide receiver, and DeVante is going to have a whole lot of youthful energy with Poka Nakua line up on the opposite side of the field.
Speaker 3: Okay, I do the reverse when it comes to shocked, I took the bait and I was really into the selectively aggressive nature that the Dallas Cowboys were supposed to be in fre agency. Why am I shocked that we have not seen their name on any list or any reports? Peter, what is going on? What direction do the Cowboys want to do here? Because in their division, they have the Super Bowl winning team in their division, they have an up and coming, very fancy and sexy franchise and the Commanders, and yet we still haven't he even heard whispers of the Cowboys and what they are supposed to be doing.
Speaker 7: And you have to think that the Commanders are going to be a team that everyone wants to go to. You're going to have to think that the Eagles, though they might lose some free agent talent, are going to be right back where they were. And you have to think the Giants are going to be better than a three win team next year when they get some semblance of a quarterback. So what are the Cowboys doing? I don't know, selectively aggressive to now nothing yet, but twelve o'clock will start. Remember they brought back Osa. That was a big move.
Speaker 4: I think they got him at a really good deal.
Speaker 7: Too, because if he had hit free agency as one of the top pass rushers, I think he would have made a lot of money.
Speaker 4: But all together, we're.
Speaker 7: Looking there and it's like Mike couldn't get his new deal yet there's still questions all over that offense. And they have a new coach and Brian Schottenheimer who's from the same offense as last year's head coach Mike McCarthy. So I don't have a ton of optimism that the Cowboys are tarking. They take the league up by storm, then again you get a healthy Dack. Although I saw the video online there are a bunch of Eagles fans on a bachelorette party and Bahamas just yelling go Eagles, Go, Eagles in his face.
Speaker 8: So Dak's walking down a hotel, he's on his personal time, having a wonderful vacation and do you have confirmation as a bachelorette party, it does look.
Speaker 6: Like they might.
Speaker 7: They might be from South Jersey and they started the gee, come on, like you won the Super Bowl.
Speaker 9: Let the man have a vacation.
Speaker 3: Can I have a very fond memory from the show A couple of years back, we physically played musical Chairs, and Peter said, this seems like a really good excuse for Jamie just be able to elbow everybody. That's how it goes when you play musical chairs. Guys, so Ian Rappaborg back in here. Quarterbacks are still on the board available for teams. Who are they elbowing to get out of position? Who do we still watch playing musical chairs today?
Speaker 5: It's going to be an eventful day, a fascinating day. In the fact that Twitter is currently down means people should really watch the network to see where everybody goes.
Speaker 4: Let's start with some of the quarterbacks.
Speaker 5: We'll start with Daniel Jones, who is still a quarterback for the Minnesota Vikings, a pending free agent. Came on mid season, was on the practice club. I think it really impressed them with the kind.
Speaker 4: Of work he did.
Speaker 5: He seems to have a decision to make, and from what I understand, his decision is essentially stay with the Minnesota Vikings for a really nice deal that would be sort of bridge starter, slash, backup, slash whenever JJ McCarthy is ready or go to a team like the Indianapolis Cult or perhaps the Cleveland Browns to go in and try to become the starter.
Speaker 4: He's got really good options.
Speaker 5: I would expect the decision on Daniel Jones today certainly one of the biggest things we're watching. The Aaron Rodgers situation bears watching as well. He's been in conversations with the New York Giants. I'm potentially becoming their Quarterback's been good, productive conver sations. But whether or not Justin Fields ends up going back to Pittsburgh or whether he lands with the Jets will obviously go a long way and deciding Aaron Rodgers as well.
Speaker 4: If these Steelers do.
Speaker 5: Not end up with Justin Fields, I would expect them to have interest in Rogers.
Speaker 4: We'll see which way that goes.
Speaker 5: And of course Sam Donald probably the biggest quarterback available. It has been after seconds after they traded Gino Smith to the Las Vegas Raiders that have seemed clear that Sam Donald has been a favorite. So Lanta and Seattle, I will keep that right there. So those are the quarterbacks we were watching today.
Speaker 3: Okay, what about other guys? Just general, I have a whole list stabled. I've crumpled it up seventeen times. I got guys that are in the red and the black. What are we doing here? Who else is available that we want to keep an eye on?
Speaker 5: Yeah, I don't know where your colors are going. I think red is good. Black beings assigned would be my guess if I was doing that. I'm just saying maybe red means hot free agents. We'll go through some of the hot free agents. Milton Williams, the defensive tackle for the Philadelphia Eagles, one of the hottest and biggest name free agents out there, going to land a huge deal.
Speaker 4: I would expect him.
Speaker 5: To get off the board early, likely in excess of twenty million dollars. One of, if not the best and most best available defensive players. Dio od Ingbo from the Indianapolis Colts, not a household name, not at all, going to be extremely rich, one of the top edges on the market. There are several others. I put Josh Webb with the Philadelphia Eagles among them as well, But Dio is a name who is going to get absolutely paid, and I think people probably should learn it also, probably learn how to pronounce it. And then Chris Godwin, the Tampa Bay Bucceteers receiver, one of the biggest names out there. The Bucks have been trying to retain him. I know he's going to have a huge market elsewhere. Several teams in need of a receiver. It's not a great receiver market. We saw two go off the board yesterday with DK and Devout the Adams. So Chris Godwin another one who situation should be handled early this morning.
Speaker 3: Okay, X or Twitter might be down, rap Sheet, but we know no one can unplug you on a day like today. It is well, that's.
Speaker 2: Why he just keep it right here.
Speaker 3: Keep it right here, rap sheet. Thank you very much, Go get some cap. We'll check back in with you, Peter. He just said a lot of names, a lot of guys available. Are you watching anyone in particular? Did anything there tickle your fancy with the coming hours and free agents?
Speaker 7: See off, Jamie, great job today hosting this show. Ian Rapport is doing a fantastic job navigating all this. I would say, if you ever wondered about the NFL strength and power, the fact that we could shut down X so that you can be watching Good Morning Football instead of just going to Twitter. Yeah, it just shows you how big the NFL is, and we'll talk big business.
Speaker 6: It's stay down forever. This is it. Stay down, Stay down and go get install next.
Speaker 7: My guy Ian Rapport mentioned it, and Mike Garaffollo mentioned it last week to me.
Speaker 4: But I'm gonna double back.
Speaker 6: On a name.
Speaker 2: Dio. Oh damn Ingo.
Speaker 4: I said it wrong.
Speaker 7: Dio o Dingmo out of the Indianapolis Colts.
Speaker 4: He was at a Vanderbilt.
Speaker 7: This is a guy who I remember exactly where I was when Olivier Vernon signed his monster deal with the Giants on the first day at rains you and I was like, Olivier Vernon got that. I remember where I was when Christian Kirk signed a deal with the Jaguars that gonna pay him like eighteen million dollars a year.
Speaker 4: We're like, Christian Current got it. This is gonna be the guy.
Speaker 7: I'm already shut out Garafolo for this because he was big on it.
Speaker 6: Last week.
Speaker 4: I had him on my podcast and he was like, just wait till you see the number that Dio pulls in.
Speaker 2: This is full name.
Speaker 7: Timmy Dio Jordan o'dangbo, a defensive end Indianapolis Cults You've probably not been following his career since out of Vanderbilt.
Speaker 4: But this guy might.
Speaker 7: Make wild money today, and you're gonna be like, what that's gonna happen Because of the priority on edge rushers and the dearth of talent that's going to be free agents.
Speaker 4: He is one of them. Twenty five years old.
Speaker 6: Dio.
Speaker 7: Congratulations, you're gonna get some do today.
Speaker 12: Nice.
Speaker 9: I'm some calories on that same do.
Speaker 6: You do a lot of things very well.
Speaker 9: It's not your strong.
Speaker 4: I hate pronouncing name.
Speaker 9: We all have our wearable at it.
Speaker 8: We all have our weaknesses. Listen, some of these names are when we hit a lot. Next couple of days, I'm thinking of free agencies passed. We are still sitting there as a show talking about Kenny Galladay. A few years we broke the record, Kenny Galladay, this wide receiver. Oh my god, we spent hours talking to me. I'm not sure where he is now. I just wanted to close the loop on something we've been talking a lot about. DK metcalf joining the Steelers with George Pickens, the chemistry there or lack thereof, And then we stumbled upon this idea that also the number fourteen so right off the bat, you were in a like a lover's quarrel because you have the same jersey number. I thought I solved it because while Pickens was number one in college, DK was fourteen. So all right, fine, easy, George Pickens changed to number one.
Speaker 6: It's done.
Speaker 8: Many Steelers fans came out of the woodorck and said, no, no, no, the Steelers don't give out jersey number one.
Speaker 9: And I'm going to say something you're not supposed to say on TV.
Speaker 6: I didn't know that. I didn't know.
Speaker 8: There's a policy that they have different attributions to. But it's the same reason justin Fields went to number two. But number one is kind of unofficially, unwritten, retired in Pittsburgh, and in fact, no one has worn it regularly for years.
Speaker 4: So that solution is out the door.
Speaker 9: You just have to go with good old fashioned chemistry, and we'll say his name one more time.
Speaker 8: Pittsburgh Steelers wide receiver coach Zach Azani is now my favorite. When Peter does just wants to watch new head coaches Zach Kazani. If you go through this season and the wide receiver room is not physically inflamed by the end, of the year.
Speaker 9: You should be the next head coach.
Speaker 6: I love you, my man.
Speaker 10: I got your back and get to work. Let's go, Robert Splane. The linebacker market is drying up quickly. A lot of guys expected to hit free agency are not hitting free agency. If you need an off ball linebacker, Robert Splane, I'm looking at Talanoa whu Funga because yes, twenty twenty two, that All Pro season has only played seventeen games since that guy can ball, Troy Paulamalu reincarnated, and lastly Jason Pinnock. If you need a big nickel, the guy who can do everything from the line of scrimmage back to the free safety, that is your guy.
Speaker 3: It's very simple. It's just Odengbo. It's it's just very it's clean, like you don't have to. I don't think you dip in and out of it the way. So goes Talanoa Hufunga, Dio Odengbo. All right, we got this on GMFB. Right, I got Dio. We love you, go get your dough GMFB free agency. What we enjoy